User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Buspirone Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Panic Disorder

BuSpar (buspirone): "Buspar, unfortunately did nothing to reduce the severity of my panic attacks and anxiety."

Kr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was initially started on BuSpar 5mg twice a day for panic disorder and PTSD as my therapist said I could not stay on Klonopin at her practice. I tried the 5mg twice a day for 2 weeks, then she increased it to 10mg twice a day, which I took for a month. I ended up with severe heart palpitations, dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea and feeling like I was going to pass out, in addition to my blood pressure being raised. I ended up on a heart monitor, seeing a cardiologist, in addition to other heart related tests all because my therapist is dead set on taking me off klonopin. I've been on 1mg of klonopin since 2008 and take it only as needed, mostly once a panic attack begins. I will never take BuSpar again, as I have been off of it now for about a week after all those symptoms and they are almost all gone now. Just wanted to share some of my side effects in case anyone else out there is having the same because I had a difficult time finding someone with the same side effects"

Heather (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started getting panic attacks and unprovoked anxiety out of no where about six months ago. It was disrupting my life, and I never wanted to go in public because I was worried I would have panic attacks. I was nervous with Buspar because I had read some negative reviews but this medication helped me IMMEDIATELY. I was prescribed 5mg. It does make me dizzy if I take the whole 5mg dose (I am not used to taking medication because I am sensitive to side effects. I’m 23 and 105lbs) so I take 2.5mg 3x a day. I have had two panic attacks since taking this medication, but they are much more tolerable than before being on buspar. I have been on it for two months and was getting 5-6 panic attacks a week before starting buspar. I no longer have fear of panic attacks in public and anxiety isn’t always on my mind anymore."

Katey (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "BuSpar is a bit of a mixed experience for me. I always get a rapid pulse, restless and sometimes sweaty for about an hour after each dose, but it is effective the rest of the day at minimizing my panic and anxiety without resorting to benzodiazepines."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2018

"Started working about 2 weeks after starting it, at which time I also experienced a significant hair loss. The first two weeks of taking it there was an increase in my anxiety. It worked great for about 2 months until my panic attacks came back. I have stayed on it for over 2 years now for fear of rebound/withdrawal effects, but I don't feel it helps anymore. I continue to experience periods of significant hair loss. 36 year old female. Luckily I have extremely thick hair."

Lizzy lou bear December 9, 2017

"I'm convinced I must be taking a placebo. Maybe the doc and the pharmacist secretly communicate to dispense a placebo rather than real medication. I started with 5mg twice a day, next appointment it was upped to 3x daily, appointment after that 10mg 3x daily (the max) and STILL have severe attacks and ongoing GAD symptoms. To be fair, I usually remember to take once or twice daily, even at that dose I expect notable improvement, but no. I have to dig deep for a possible compliment for it...maybe fewer overwhelming attacks. I can't complain about any side effects, there's nothing. I must be taking sugar pills! Dr's are too terrified to prescribe the proper EFFECTIVE meds for patients in desperate need for them because abusers out there."

Atlgirl November 25, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "Drug is prescribed for 18-64 age bracket. Seniors experience drugs differently just like Teens. I tried Buspar to replace Xanax. Buspar builds in the system. 1st month I noticed a slight calm effect. My NP was getting me off another SSRI also not good for Seniors. During the last 2 weeks, I have noticed shortness of breath which has increased. That increased my anxiety and hyperventilation. I know it is early but I already feel better this evening not having taken my three 5 mg doses. Xanax has a 6 hour shelf life and works better for me and I have learned to regulate the doses. Will wean off on the 2.5 half tabs of Buspar. My system is just like it used to be."

Female, 64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "This drug made my anxiety worse. Need I say anything more? Bad drug!"

Buspar sucks! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

"Prescribed to me to treat anxiety and panic disorder. Couldn’t take this during the day when at work or driving. Found the best time was to take 1.5 pills early in the morning and 1.5 pills before bed. It knocks me out and I have very heavy sleep and clear dreams. When I did take it during the day before work, it made me so dizzy and tired I felt like I was going to pass out or throw up. But those effects only last about 30 min. I take it really early in the morning and late at night so I can fall back asleep during the more dizzy times and then I wake up completely fine! It has really helped me calm down combined with therapy."

Kas42 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I fell thru the ice and drowned ( obviously resuscitated ) at the age of 17. In College I started getting terrible panic attacks that had me going to the ER sometimes 2 times a week. I was put on Buspar and they might as well as given me a TicTac and told me THAT was a Miraclel Drug as well is would have probably been more effective. Prozac, Xanax , Valuim ALL seemed to make it worse Clonazepam is THE ONLY Med. that has worked it's been a life saver."

Carpe88 August 19, 2017

"Buspirone has worked miracles for me and I did not expect it to work. Multiple doctors have tried SSRIs for my anxiety multiple times and SSRIs have never, ever worked for me. The only thing that has worked were benzos, and we all know that doctors treat you like an addict if you try to take benzos without the SSRIs. I am so glad my current doctor tried this for me instead of trying to shove more SSRI's down my throat. On this medication I am more confident, have been able to enjoy situations that would have given me panic attacks a month ago, and I worry less as a result. My doctor explained this med by saying that it increases serotonin. If you have low serotonin, SSRIs won't help. In that case Buspirone can help."

HiTherePeople (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

"Gave me brain shocks and worsened my panic attack. I understand that different medications are for different people but this gave me migraines. 5mg."

Skittish_Mittens (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2017

"I take quite a big dose also I take it with 300 mg of wellbutrin. I hope it does not affect the liver I am going to get it checked out. When ever I feel anxious I take it. I think I am addicted to it. My doctor doesn't know it I just keep getting refills. I hope this dosage isn't bad. It is really helping me though. I also have OCD and it helps with that somewhat."

Quiffy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "Probably the worse drug ever made. No help at all from panic attacks or anxiety. Tried the drug for months and all I got from it was vertigo."

ann445 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have been on Zoloft for 11 years. I have severe panic disorder and anxiety. I brought my Zoloft from 150 to 25mg during my pregnancy, all seemed well until after I gave birth and all my happy hormones wore off. Major postpartum depression and anxiety kicked in. I immediately went up to 150mg of Zoloft but that was not doing the trick. My doctor kept telling me to take buspar but since I tried to many medications before finding Zoloft fitting, I was scared to add something else. After a year of this roller coaster, I gave in, I tried 5mg of buspar at night, I woke up the next day and actually left my house. It is like day and night. I started at 5mg only at night then went to 5mg day and night. Don't worry to try it if you are scared!"

Anna V December 12, 2016

"For years I've suffered with panic disorder and tried dozens of medications and my doctor recently put me on buspar. The first week I started noticing it was controlling the small panic attacks but not the big ones and if I would stay in one place to long and move from that place I would get extremely dizzy and couldn't get it to go away without laying down for a few hours so not really up to recommending it to anyone but it might work for you idk."

I luv guinea pigs November 9, 2016

"This medication saved me! I was having daily panic attacks that were very physical and completely out of nowhere. I would think I was not getting a full breath. I would think that my chest was tightening and my body would go numb. My mind would become fuzzy and I would be paralyzed with fear. It happened during my classes, in movies, when I was out to eat, and I started feeling bad that those around me had to deal with me. Eventually, I just knew that it was a panic attack and I would and cry until it passed everyday in the nurses office at school. This was 5 years ago and I have been on buspar ever since! I have not had ONE bad panic attack in 5 years.. I would advise taking before bed, it makes you feel weird and tired like dead weight"

Audraaay October 17, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "My mild anxiety had been building for yrs when I decided to seek help for it. At that time, I had only experienced one panic attack after a health scare (heart palps from over exercising). It wasn't until I sought help to control my stress that I was prescribed Prozac. Started having panic attacks and taken off. Started taking buspar. 1st few wks were really rough (brain zaps). It kept me from having panic attacks but I still experienced moderate anxiety every day. After 8 wks, I started to experience depression for no reason and intrusive thoughts. Nothing like I ever experienced before. So I went back down, depressive thoughts came back. Tapered off. Lightheadedness, ear ringing and brain fog persisted the entire 3 mo. I was on it."

Anxnomore September 27, 2016

"This medicine is useless. I suffer from extremely bad panic attacks an have been in and out the hospital everyday for 3 days. This medicine made everything worse. I'd wake up multi times if I could even go back to sleep to go back to the ER at 2am. I don't know if it's a real medicine or a water/sugar pill, but it doesn't work for panic attacks. They say you can force your self to believe a medicine can work or not work, not in this case it DOESNT work. Benzodiazepines may me abused an bad for you, but it's better then asking someone who is suffering like us to use medicine that don't work at all for most people."

Bear 37 September 9, 2016

"I was worried because an ingredient is lactose, and I am lactose intolerant, but the doc said it would be fine and it is. The problem is for an hour or so after taking it I get bad brain "zaps" and dizziness. Luckily no bad nausea or anything, but the zaps are bothersome and would keep me from driving. I only take 5mg at a time. This is unfortunate because I think it is helping my disorder (Functional esophageal dysphasia/dyspepsia) it was prescribed for. I've had a little less stomach pain and trouble swallowing on it."

CBar1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

"Started to kick in after about 23 days, but no major side effects so yay! For the first week I took 5mg before going to sleep. But each day I would take it earlier. So day 1 @ 10pm, then 9pm, 8pm, and so on. Then on Day 8 I started taking 10mg daily (5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening). Always with food! Be consistent. For the first ~5 days I would get sleepy about an hour after taking it, then this went away. For the first ~2 weeks my eyes would lag for about an hour after taking it. It's a weird feeling...like when you shift your eyes in different directions you can feel the muscle in your eye pulling. Kind of like it's strained and it takes effort to shift your eyes. This also went away."

AnnaB1987 August 15, 2016

"Everytime I take my buspar my heart feels like it's pounding out of my chest for like an hour (eventually gradually it goes away) and my chest gets tight, I just started taking it 2-3 weeks ago and this just chest pounding thing only started happening about 7 days ago, it's starting to freak me out to the point where I might just stop taking it all together. Am I the only one who feels like my heart beats a million times a second on this drug? & what else is out there to help specific anxiety disorders?"

Jessica M M (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

"Its doesn't suit me ..when I take it I become angry, hyper and I have loss of appetite and more fear. Also my mouth opens very little while talking after taking busbin 5"

Tahir aily rizuvi August 7, 2016

"I just took 2 dosages 5mg .. in night and in morning. It has made tightness in chest as if I would collapse. Short to breath and so tight in head that I couldn't continue although that went away in about an hour both the times. I know it's effects come in long time.. but what I was feeling was unbearable."

Bhaskar Taneja (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been on this medication for about eight months for both panic disorder and anxiety, 30 mg twice a day. Just so people know, it takes roughly six weeks to kick in fully, so if you haven't felt anything yet, you need to give it time before you try something else. While it does make me very tired after I take it for about 30-40 minutes, it doesn't make me chronically tired like I was while on antidepressants. A short nap definitely helps if I'm not doing anything in the morning. It's absolutely brought my level of anxiety way, way down to a manageable level, especially after getting to the maximum dose. I'm functioning normally for the first time in years and I love it."

Isneksjdnemsifjenndjdjd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2016