User Reviews for Buspirone to treat Panic Disorder

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 143 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 39% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 48% reported a negative experience.

Buspirone rating summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Buspirone

AnxietyMomma · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 11, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): “Ive had horrible anxiety my ENTIRE life. I’m 31. I’ve been on 40+ anti anxiety medications and tried countless other things to help my anxiety. Buspar has saved my life. My dr added Buspar to my Effexor 100mg and it has helped me tremendously. I’m a new person. I’m now on medications that take at least 4-6 weeks to work, but Buspar helped me day 1. I was so scared to try it at first, for two months actually, and now I could kick myself. It’s been a Godsend. Try. It. Don’t be scared. It could change your life for the better!!! You are not alone!!!! This will get better. Much love.”

Nat2019 · Taken for less than 1 month · October 8, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): “Thank God for Buspar. I take Effexor 100mg twice daily, but it wasn't working like it once did. My doc added on Buspar 10mg three times a day in June, but thanks to my anxiety I was too scared to try it. I eventually had gotten so bad that I said screw it and took it towards the end of September. The first day I took it, BOOM, felt intensely better, and I truly didn't think that was even possible. It has changed my life for the GOOD. I am SUCH a nicer person now, anxiety is TONS better, and my libido is FABULOUS. Do not hesitate to try Buspar. It is the BEST, for me anyway. I was a miserable cow for almost six months. My anxiety was at its all time worst. Thanks to Buspar, I am a NEW Person.... To the person reading this, you CAN get better... FIGHT until you do... You are not alone!!! Much Love”

Z · May 14, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “During the current situation the world is in suddenly a month ago I woke up and found myself having panic attacks, it's been years since I had something like that happen to me, and never to that extent. I went through tests and doctors trying to figure out what was wrong with me when all of them agreed I was having anxiety that was even causing most of my physical symptoms, shortness of breath, chest tightness, which then led to panic attacks as those symptoms match up with what we're being told are symptoms of the new virus. Finally after multiple appointments I was given Buspar and was told to give it a shot. It didn't work immediately and for the first week I'd say I didn't notice much and it had bummed me out, STICK WITH IT. I'm on day 9 now I'd say and I finally feel like my old self. I can focus on my job without debilitating intrusive thoughts, my worry still comes and goes but it is not overwhelming me anymore, and I'm able to have a more positive outlook over time.”

Sean · Taken for less than 1 month · September 10, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): “This medicine Bupar is a lifesaver for me. Recently I am experiencing anxiety and a serious panic attack. My PCP prescribed me 7.5mg of this med, not the brand though. After a couple of days, I am feeling much better. This medicine does not make me sleepy or zombie. I am functional normal throughout the day and I could focus on solving the problem than worry about the problem. Thanks to Buspar.”

Heather · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 19, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): “I was initially started on BuSpar 5mg twice a day for panic disorder and PTSD as my therapist said I could not stay on Klonopin at her practice. I tried the 5mg twice a day for 2 weeks, then she increased it to 10mg twice a day, which I took for a month. I ended up with severe heart palpitations, dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea and feeling like I was going to pass out, in addition to my blood pressure being raised. I ended up on a heart monitor, seeing a cardiologist, in addition to other heart related tests all because my therapist is dead set on taking me off klonopin. I've been on 1mg of klonopin since 2008 and take it only as needed, mostly once a panic attack begins. I will never take BuSpar again, as I have been off of it now for about a week after all those symptoms and they are almost all gone now. Just wanted to share some of my side effects in case anyone else out there is having the same because I had a difficult time finding someone with the same side effects”

Anonsy · Taken for less than 1 month · January 25, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have taken this medication for a month and in that time I have had the quietest mind of my life. I take Lexapro for my regular medicine and this is for easing the generalized anxiety disorder that acts up so frequently. Never have I been able to stop myself from a panic attack like this. It's amazing. The first week was tiring and disorienting...after that, smooth sailing.”

InsertNameHere · May 15, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have only been taking BuSpar for about a month but I have seen a rapid turn around in my anxiety. I am not cured, I still get panicked from time to time, but I am now able to deal my worries without getting lost in them. I used to go about life in a sort of depersonalized haze, but the medication has worked in bringing me back to reality. As for side effects, I think it is safe to say that I got them all in the first couple weeks. Nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, slight depression, etc... However, it was nothing that was too bad. As I continued to take it, the side effects decreased. Furthermore, the benefits that I have obtained from it far outweighed any complaints that I might have had. I would suggest trying it for anxiety.”

Anna V · December 12, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have been on Zoloft for 11 years. I have severe panic disorder and anxiety. I brought my Zoloft from 150 to 25mg during my pregnancy, all seemed well until after I gave birth and all my happy hormones wore off. Major postpartum depression and anxiety kicked in. I immediately went up to 150mg of Zoloft but that was not doing the trick. My doctor kept telling me to take buspar but since I tried to many medications before finding Zoloft fitting, I was scared to add something else. After a year of this roller coaster, I gave in, I tried 5mg of buspar at night, I woke up the next day and actually left my house. It is like day and night. I started at 5mg only at night then went to 5mg day and night. Don't worry to try it if you are scared!”

Cyndie1 · April 19, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone): “I first had a panic attack last June & went to the hospital. They gave me Ativan 1mg. I took that for about 1 month and felt sort of out of it, so I decided to only take half and see how that worked. It did work, but I still felt like a zombie. I went back to the doctor & was prescribed BuSpar 5mg twice a day. I took that for three months, but was still having issues waiting in lines, being in public places & sometimes driving. I found I still needed to take the Ativan when I started to panic. Long and short the 5 mg 2xday would take away about 60% of my anxiety and I would force myself out of my head, so to speak. Recently I went back to the doctor & she upped my dose to 7.5 mg twice a day. I feel great! This is giving me my life back, NO more Ativan.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years · November 21, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone): “I started getting panic attacks about 6 years ago for no real reason, causing me to not be able to keep anything down for about 2 months. Was put on a lot of meds before I tried Buspar. I believe it with the addition of an SSRI antidepressant saved my life. Back in August of this year I stopped everything and all my anxiety and panic and depression came back. I started the Buspar again yesterday after a huge break down, slept better than I have in months, had great dreams, actually WANTED to get out of bed and today I feel better than I have since the summer! It may not work well for EVERYONE, but when it DOES work, it's amazing.”

sivadycart · April 5, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): “I was on a few meds that didn't help much. But when I started taking Buspar, I noticed I felt more at ease and I am now able to do a lot more than I was able to do before. I suffer from severe panic attacks and was at the point of giving up. I lost friends and confused family members because they could not relate to my bouts of panic. Fear from panic limited me to do the most simple things like shop, travel or even drive in cars with friends. I couldn't enjoy a meal at a restaurant without looking for an exit. I couldn't go to crowded places without wanting to run. But now after a 6 weeks on this medication. I'm able to concentrate and enjoy life so much better. I'm nowhere near 100% but this medication is saving me little by little.”

DesertGuy · April 12, 2010

BuSpar (buspirone): “I can't believe the difference in how I've felt with BuSpar. I had daily anxiety/panic attacks due to a very stressful series of events in the last year and BuSpar has made all the difference in the world. I've been taking 15mg 3x per day (45mg/day) and the results are amazing. No side effects at all. Every now and then I'll take an Ativan (.25mg) to augment the BuSpar, but I know I get the most relief from the BuSpar. Before taking this, I would have uncontrollable thoughts and fears that made me feel like I was going crazy and couldn't stop them. Now, I'm able to rationalize them and get them out of my head much easier. I definitely recommend this medicine to anyone with severe panic and anxiety problems.”

PanicFor24Years · Taken for less than 1 month · February 11, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I am taking 1.0mg of Xanax 2 hours before I drive to and from work. My general panic turned into a specific phobia of driving on the highways about 2 years ago. My doctor wanted me to try BuSpar, 15mg twice a day, to try to get off the Xanax. It gave me massive headaches, blurred vision, made me very sad (I am normally a very happy, positive person) and did nothing to help my panic. I have been on many SSRIs, Paxil helped me for years and then suddenly stopped working. I gave BuSpar a shot and regret it. Worst side effects of any med I have ever tried.”

Anonymous · September 21, 2011

BuSpar (buspirone): “This medicine is saving my life! After 20 years of suffering with panic disorder, I finally feel free. I have had zero side effects, do not be hesitant to take this medication. It will change your life!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 10, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone): “I had suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since I was 8 years old. It was managable until this year. The attacks have been so severe that I cannot drive and was missing work. I cannot take SSRI's or any medications for that matter. My DR. prescribed Burspar 5mg twice daily. That actually was too much for me and I take 2.5mg twice a day and it works wonderful. I feel the anxiety dwindle away within 1 hour of taking the pill. I do not take it on a regular basis, only when my anxiety begins to increase. Buspar levels me to a normal level. There is hope.”

Isneksjdnemsifjenndjdjd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · July 4, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): “I've been on this medication for about eight months for both panic disorder and anxiety, 30 mg twice a day. Just so people know, it takes roughly six weeks to kick in fully, so if you haven't felt anything yet, you need to give it time before you try something else. While it does make me very tired after I take it for about 30-40 minutes, it doesn't make me chronically tired like I was while on antidepressants. A short nap definitely helps if I'm not doing anything in the morning. It's absolutely brought my level of anxiety way, way down to a manageable level, especially after getting to the maximum dose. I'm functioning normally for the first time in years and I love it.”

Krissssyannn · June 24, 2019

“I suffered in silence for many years. I didn't like going to malls large crowded places or any place I felt trapped, for fear of the panic getting ahold of me. I suffered several life altering and life-changing events that threw me into full blown agoraphobia, suddenly afraid to drive or even walk down my driveway. I was at my lowest point in life the racing thoughts of constant worry haunted me. I started buspirone slight side effects but I noticed after two weeks my anxiety was 70% gone, I started sleeping better than I had in years. This medication has saved my life! I am able to build myself back up driving and going places I would recommend trying this medication.”

James1417 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): “Just got prescribed busbar I take 30mg x2 daily (60mg) I'm 26 suffer from panic attacks and ptsd. For the short time I been on the medication it seems to cut the edge when taken with xanax 1mg 3x a day. Hope to the person reading this it will help. Panic can ruin live's an it's crazy to see so many doctors on negative about benzos. ”

nat87 · Taken for less than 1 month · September 24, 2019

“I’m 31 year old female with life long anxiety. I was prescribed buspirone 10mg three times a day, several months ago. After reading some negative comments I was too scared to try it. After reading the positive ones, I finally decided to give it a go. I did cut it in half though, and took it at 8:30pm. It’s now 9:12pm and I feel fine. I’m praying to God this medication (in addition to Effexor twice daily) helps me. I’m so sick and tired of anxiety. I wouldn’t wish anxiety on anyone. I’ve been on over 40 different medications throughout my life. Hoping this one makes a positive difference. Thank You for leaving your positive feedback. It gave me the strength to try it. Good luck to you all. You’re not alone. :)”

Gizz · July 14, 2009

BuSpar (buspirone): “This medication is great, it gave me no side effects at all. Although it takes time to reach its full therapeutic effect its worth the wait. This medication helps me calm down reduces agitation, anxiety, and panic. For me it has been better than the other faster acting drugs for agitation, anxiety, panic that I've tried in the past.”

Katey · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 8, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): “I started getting panic attacks and unprovoked anxiety out of no where about six months ago. It was disrupting my life, and I never wanted to go in public because I was worried I would have panic attacks. I was nervous with Buspar because I had read some negative reviews but this medication helped me IMMEDIATELY. I was prescribed 5mg. It does make me dizzy if I take the whole 5mg dose (I am not used to taking medication because I am sensitive to side effects. I’m 23 and 105lbs) so I take 2.5mg 3x a day. I have had two panic attacks since taking this medication, but they are much more tolerable than before being on buspar. I have been on it for two months and was getting 5-6 panic attacks a week before starting buspar. I no longer have fear of panic attacks in public and anxiety isn’t always on my mind anymore.”

Nate · January 22, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Woke up having the worst panic attack of my life on day 2 of this medication. Not paired with anything else this is the last day I’ll be taking it. It’s a horrible feeling to wake up feeling like you are having a heart attack and not being able to breathe.”

Addvoc84kids · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 26, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have a 10 year old who is autistic, is the size of a 13 year old, and has had severe panic and tantrums since he was 4 years old. He is also going through puberty early. We have tried just about every medication and he has had severe side effects, until Buspar. We started with 5mg twice a day for 2 weeks and now are 10mg twice a day. Within 36 hours we noticed a considerable change in his physical symptoms (he is non-verbal and cannot tell us what is wrong/or what hurts) The school is sending home notes saying he is learning to calm himself and self regulate better and is having more spontaneous language and learning at school. We supplement the Buspar with 3mg daily of risperdal and are hoping to phase out the RISPERDAL this year.”

Great add on to SSRI (could cut dosage way down) 1st week is weird though · April 28, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone): “I was on a high dosage of Lexapro and it was working extremely well. However, the side effects were terrible. I added BuSpar gradually then decreased the Lexapro to 10 mg and feel as good as I did on the high dosage of Lexapro. I am currently taking 10mg Lexapro and 15mg BuSpar 2x daily. I will warn you that if you miss a dose or two of the BuSpar, the next time you take it will make you feel really weird for a few hours. Also, when you first start taking it, you will feel weird for about a week. Push through it, it is a great add on to Lexapro.”

Shorty · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 19, 2019

“It took 2 months before buspirone actually started working for me. I’m so much more calmer and I can go out in public without fear of a panic attack. I say this works better than any benzodiazepines I’ve ever been prescribed!”