User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Panic Disorder

BuSpar (buspirone): "This drug made my anxiety worse. Need I say anything more? Bad drug!"

Buspar sucks! (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed to me to treat anxiety and panic disorder. Couldn’t take this during the day when at work or driving. Found the best time was to take 1.5 pills early in the morning and 1.5 pills before bed. It knocks me out and I have very heavy sleep and clear dreams. When I did take it during the day before work, it made me so dizzy and tired I felt like I was going to pass out or throw up. But those effects only last about 30 min. I take it really early in the morning and late at night so I can fall back asleep during the more dizzy times and then I wake up completely fine! It has really helped me calm down combined with therapy."

Kas42 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I fell thru the ice and drowned ( obviously resuscitated ) at the age of 17. In College I started getting terrible panic attacks that had me going to the ER sometimes 2 times a week. I was put on Buspar and they might as well as given me a TicTac and told me THAT was a Miraclel Drug as well is would have probably been more effective. Prozac, Xanax , Valuim ALL seemed to make it worse Clonazepam is THE ONLY Med. that has worked it's been a life saver."

Carpe88 August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Buspirone has worked miracles for me and I did not expect it to work. Multiple doctors have tried SSRIs for my anxiety multiple times and SSRIs have never, ever worked for me. The only thing that has worked were benzos, and we all know that doctors treat you like an addict if you try to take benzos without the SSRIs. I am so glad my current doctor tried this for me instead of trying to shove more SSRI's down my throat. On this medication I am more confident, have been able to enjoy situations that would have given me panic attacks a month ago, and I worry less as a result. My doctor explained this med by saying that it increases serotonin. If you have low serotonin, SSRIs won't help. In that case Buspirone can help."

HiTherePeople (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Gave me brain shocks and worsened my panic attack. I understand that different medications are for different people but this gave me migraines. 5mg."

Skittish_Mittens (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take quite a big dose also I take it with 300 mg of wellbutrin. I hope it does not affect the liver I am going to get it checked out. When ever I feel anxious I take it. I think I am addicted to it. My doctor doesn't know it I just keep getting refills. I hope this dosage isn't bad. It is really helping me though. I also have OCD and it helps with that somewhat."

Quiffy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "Probably the worse drug ever made. No help at all from panic attacks or anxiety. Tried the drug for months and all I got from it was vertigo."

ann445 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have been on Zoloft for 11 years. I have severe panic disorder and anxiety. I brought my Zoloft from 150 to 25mg during my pregnancy, all seemed well until after I gave birth and all my happy hormones wore off. Major postpartum depression and anxiety kicked in. I immediately went up to 150mg of Zoloft but that was not doing the trick. My doctor kept telling me to take buspar but since I tried to many medications before finding Zoloft fitting, I was scared to add something else. After a year of this roller coaster, I gave in, I tried 5mg of buspar at night, I woke up the next day and actually left my house. It is like day and night. I started at 5mg only at night then went to 5mg day and night. Don't worry to try it if you are scared!"

Anna V December 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For years I've suffered with panic disorder and tried dozens of medications and my doctor recently put me on buspar. The first week I started noticing it was controlling the small panic attacks but not the big ones and if I would stay in one place to long and move from that place I would get extremely dizzy and couldn't get it to go away without laying down for a few hours so not really up to recommending it to anyone but it might work for you idk."

I luv guinea pigs November 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication saved me! I was having daily panic attacks that were very physical and completely out of nowhere. I would think I was not getting a full breath. I would think that my chest was tightening and my body would go numb. My mind would become fuzzy and I would be paralyzed with fear. It happened during my classes, in movies, when I was out to eat, and I started feeling bad that those around me had to deal with me. Eventually, I just knew that it was a panic attack and I would and cry until it passed everyday in the nurses office at school. This was 5 years ago and I have been on buspar ever since! I have not had ONE bad panic attack in 5 years.. I would advise taking before bed, it makes you feel weird and tired like dead weight"

Audraaay October 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "My mild anxiety had been building for yrs when I decided to seek help for it. At that time, I had only experienced one panic attack after a health scare (heart palps from over exercising). It wasn't until I sought help to control my stress that I was prescribed Prozac. Started having panic attacks and taken off. Started taking buspar. 1st few wks were really rough (brain zaps). It kept me from having panic attacks but I still experienced moderate anxiety every day. After 8 wks, I started to experience depression for no reason and intrusive thoughts. Nothing like I ever experienced before. So I went back down, depressive thoughts came back. Tapered off. Lightheadedness, ear ringing and brain fog persisted the entire 3 mo. I was on it."

Anxnomore September 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine is useless. I suffer from extremely bad panic attacks an have been in and out the hospital everyday for 3 days. This medicine made everything worse. I'd wake up multi times if I could even go back to sleep to go back to the ER at 2am. I don't know if it's a real medicine or a water/sugar pill, but it doesn't work for panic attacks. They say you can force your self to believe a medicine can work or not work, not in this case it DOESNT work. Benzodiazepines may me abused an bad for you, but it's better then asking someone who is suffering like us to use medicine that don't work at all for most people."

Bear 37 September 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was worried because an ingredient is lactose, and I am lactose intolerant, but the doc said it would be fine and it is. The problem is for an hour or so after taking it I get bad brain "zaps" and dizziness. Luckily no bad nausea or anything, but the zaps are bothersome and would keep me from driving. I only take 5mg at a time. This is unfortunate because I think it is helping my disorder (Functional esophageal dysphasia/dyspepsia) it was prescribed for. I've had a little less stomach pain and trouble swallowing on it."

CBar1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started to kick in after about 23 days, but no major side effects so yay! For the first week I took 5mg before going to sleep. But each day I would take it earlier. So day 1 @ 10pm, then 9pm, 8pm, and so on. Then on Day 8 I started taking 10mg daily (5mg in the morning and 5mg in the evening). Always with food! Be consistent. For the first ~5 days I would get sleepy about an hour after taking it, then this went away. For the first ~2 weeks my eyes would lag for about an hour after taking it. It's a weird feeling...like when you shift your eyes in different directions you can feel the muscle in your eye pulling. Kind of like it's strained and it takes effort to shift your eyes. This also went away."

AnnaB1987 August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Everytime I take my buspar my heart feels like it's pounding out of my chest for like an hour (eventually gradually it goes away) and my chest gets tight, I just started taking it 2-3 weeks ago and this just chest pounding thing only started happening about 7 days ago, it's starting to freak me out to the point where I might just stop taking it all together. Am I the only one who feels like my heart beats a million times a second on this drug? & what else is out there to help specific anxiety disorders?"

Jessica M M (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Its doesn't suit me ..when I take it I become angry, hyper and I have loss of appetite and more fear. Also my mouth opens very little while talking after taking busbin 5"

Tahir aily rizuvi August 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just took 2 dosages 5mg .. in night and in morning. It has made tightness in chest as if I would collapse. Short to breath and so tight in head that I couldn't continue although that went away in about an hour both the times. I know it's effects come in long time.. but what I was feeling was unbearable."

Bhaskar Taneja (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been on this medication for about eight months for both panic disorder and anxiety, 30 mg twice a day. Just so people know, it takes roughly six weeks to kick in fully, so if you haven't felt anything yet, you need to give it time before you try something else. While it does make me very tired after I take it for about 30-40 minutes, it doesn't make me chronically tired like I was while on antidepressants. A short nap definitely helps if I'm not doing anything in the morning. It's absolutely brought my level of anxiety way, way down to a manageable level, especially after getting to the maximum dose. I'm functioning normally for the first time in years and I love it."

Isneksjdnemsifjenndjdjd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "Took buspar for the first time yesterday. My PTSD has been growing into agoraphobia slowly and it has been debilitating. Started 7.5mg of the buspar and not even and hour later, I was walking like a drunk, felt like my entire body was being zapped if I moved my neck or head. I was so dizzy I had to take a nap. Decided maybe I'd be better with the night time dose. Took it before bed, fell asleep, and woke up every two hours. Ended up wetting the bed (not an issue I've had ever) and still too damned dizzy to get up. I'm in my mid twenties. This medication doesn't help me and I'd rather stay on the Clonazepam."

Pandoras Box April 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "Just got prescribed busbar I take 30mg x2 daily (60mg) I'm 26 suffer from panic attacks and ptsd. For the short time I been on the medication it seems to cut the edge when taken with xanax 1mg 3x a day. Hope to the person reading this it will help. Panic can ruin live's an it's crazy to see so many doctors on negative about benzos. "

James1417 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "This medicine is a waste of time ... to be honest or might be a placebo because it doesn't work !!!! The first time I took it , I made myself believe it worked but it doesn't .... I'm going back on my old combo Klonipin and seroquel.... Can't deal with this anymore longer !!!!! Save your time , energy , and extra anxiety "

Koko800 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I suffer from anxiety/panic disorder and I was given Buspar 10 MG twice daily. I felt very light headed and like I had a constant head rush. My Dr tried increasing the dose to 20mg twice daily and with that I couldn't keep my eyes open. I had to nap for 2 to 3 hours. It was just awful. After nearly 4 weeks of being on this medication, I have insisted that I been taken off of it. I am on 5 MG twice a day for today and tomorrow and then I'll be done with it and I hope the side effects go away soon. Just an awful experience."

DCD79 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started getting anxiety in 2012 and have avoided taking medication. I went to therapy and my symptoms stopped for a couple years, then they came back I went to Urgent Care because I couldn't breathe. Turns out I was hyperventilating. I didn't take any BusPar right away, but a year later I took half a pill when I had a panic attack. It calmed me down in less than an hour and I felt at ease. Since then I have taken it two or three more times, so I use it in emergencies only. Tonight I used it because I have hyperglycemia and anorexia problems, which trigger my panic attacks in the first place. I took half a pill 1.5 hours before my shift and felt "normal" 30 minutes later. It's a safe drug and non-addictive."

Avensnow February 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It caused severe anxiety attacks along with other side effects that put me in the hospital twice in 2 days. Rx (at time): Geodon, Benty, and Busiprone Dx: Bipolar 1, Insomnia, Anxiety, and EDNOS"

Anonymous January 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had tried about 20 different psychiatric medications before Buspar, all of which were at best minimally effective. Buspar has been the one medicine that has made a positive change. I feel alive again. I am not in such a dark place anymore, and my panic has gotten better. Although I still have a bit of anxiety it feels much more manageable. And I have only had to take 5mg twice daily! It has given me a little bit of insomnia, but it is well worth it."

I Approve (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016