User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

"I found that I felt more focused and it calmed me down a great deal. It did make me feel a little dizzy at first, but that could be because, I'm also taking keppra and losarten and amlodopine - the last two I've taken for one month and the Keppra I just started yesterday - so that could be the reason. But overall the buspar makes me feel good and I don't feel the despair and tension like I was going to explode. Hopefully this medication will also help me with my blood pressure that was out of control. The highest was 239/200 it is now 169/93 it's better..so we will see..."

rniebla771 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I'm on 15mgs of Buspar a day, its been 2 months and its not working that well. It evens me out a little but I still get anxiety attacks. I'm also gaining weight because of sugar cravings."

Jessie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2018

"Where has this medication been for the last 5 years? I am on day 3 and I finally feel normal again and I never thought that was possible because I didn’t even know what normal for me was anymore. My life had caught up to me, 4 kids (including 2 yr old twins), career and just a demanding household has weighed on my life heavily. I had become an angry person, an angry and short fused mom. I began yelling, which I had never done before. I regretted it but my anxiety/stress level would reach a boiling point and I couldn’t control it. I just wasn’t a happy person. I called my dr and asked for help. I’m currently on 75mg Effexor for depression. She added Buspirone 5mg 3x a day. This was a game changer. Day 3 I’ve completely noticed a change. Things that bothered me before don’t bother me anymore. I’m able to rationalize with my children rather than yell. This medicine is helping me be a better parent and I’m so thankful. I am HAPPY and I never thought I could say that."

Brandy April 15, 2018

"For years I've been taking buspirone for anxiety. It has been extremely helpful and have not had any side affects."

bsaltyjo (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2018

"I have severe social anxiety, I've had it my whole life. I was on ativan for years and I wanted to get off them. So my dr. prescribed me Buspiron ( busbar), well what a nightmare.!!! The first few days I felt like I was going to die. My heart was raising, I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest, couldn't sleep, made me speed like crazy awful. Scared me so bad. It was so bad about a week in, I had to go to ER. It made my anxiety 100 times worse. I had to go to ER in a ambulance, I couldn't breathe. I only gave the a 1 because I had to put something, otherwise it would have been 0. If you have bad anxiety I wouldn't recommend this. But if it work for you thats great, we are all different, but it was a total nightmare for me."

Kaye April 8, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "Quit drinking cold turkey after 2 years of life altering changes. Never had anxiety. Well I do now. Crippling scary moments only about midday. Morning and evening I'm fine which is weird. Was scared to death to take a med like this because other than high BP I'm good to go. Broke down and tried one 5mg dose. About an hour later I felt smooth. Was told 5mg 12 hours. I take 5mg 3 times a day. Usually every 4 hours so 15mg. 4 months sober and a month after starting Buspar it's a life saver for me. I've read that it doesn't work for everybody and everybody I'd different I understand. But it has done the trick for me so far. I tried every vitamin concoction and drink known to man with no luck. It made me very dizzy the fist couple weeks. Now I don't even notice taking it except feeling more calm. Not recommending taking it like I do but it works for me."

Sluth (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've had anxiety for several years with full blown panic attacks that have sent me to the ER. Fortunately, I've kept those at bay for the last year, but I still get anxiety at night. I finally decided to go to the doctor but didn't want a benzo. I was prescribed 15mg tabs, I take one at night...and it does absolutely nothing for my anxiety. If anything, it makes me a tad drowsy. Not what I was hoping for."

Eve (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

"I've been on Buspar for 5 mths. My doc gave me 15mg. After a week I couldn't even describe how great it felt not to be so constantly worried about everything. I did end up getting depressed (but that had already started due to other things), and my anxiety seemed to get a bit worse for a couple months. Doc then put me on 150mg of Wellbutrin which takes 4-6 wks to kick in. During that time (1st 4 wks) I was VERY depressed & anxiety & panic attacks were very bad (had my worst panic attack ever), but then she upped my Buspar to 25mg which helped calm down the anxiety and panic attacks. 4 wks after starting Wellbutrin she upped that to 300mg. In a week depression disappeared & anxiety calmed down and its been 4 wks since. I think it takes the right dose and combo of meds as well as continuing for a bit through the rough patch that sometimes comes with new meds while trying to get the dose right. Don't give up too soon."

K March 29, 2018

"Now at 5mg at three times a day it finally started working for me--calmer on a day to day basis. It took about a month before I could really feel a difference. Well, if this is good, I think, let's get the doctor to up it to 7.5mg three times a day. What a difference--but not in a good way! I felt foggy and dizzy and my mood swings were worse. More is not always better."

Peri-menopausal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "Makes my anxiety tremendously worse, even after months of use! Don't believe the fake big pharma comments. This is not a replacement for any benzo, in any way! It is only 'known' to be 'effective' in general anxiety disorder. AFter my switch I couldn't sleep for a week, dehydrated, thought I was gonna die, so then they gave me Zoloft in conjunction with the buspar that I was already on for 2 months! The Zoloft made it even worse, I am surprised to be alive and writing this today."

PTSD March 27, 2018

"I am being weaned off of Clonazepam and onto Buspirone. I can't even described how miserable I am. I'm a month in and suffering panic attacks, having terrible muscle pain and haven't been able to stop the Clonazepam totally. I hate it. I can't sleep at night. My arms and legs are so sore I am in constant pain. I want off of this drug!"

Abia March 26, 2018

"Buspirone hasn't done much for reducing my anxiety.... I still worry about everything all the time. What I have noticed as a positive effect though is that when I have "anxiety spikes" (my term for a panic attack that's not quite a panic attack), it doesn't spike quite as high. So it mutes my sharp anxiety episodes, but doesn't really help me to actually worry less."

T (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 23, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have debilitating anxiety and paranoia. I hate valium, xanax etc as it causes me shocking depression and lose all motivation. I'm currently taking pristiq, seroquel and Armodifinil. After just a few days on 10 mg twice a day I feel so much better. I've stopped the morning dose as it was causing me to feel spaced out and numb until 2pm. Been on it now two weeks and all my physical anxiety (pounding heart, shortness of breath and irrational negative thoughts) has basically disappeared!! I feel so good I've even booked an overseas holiday soon. Something impossible before the Buspar. I love this medication it's changed my outlook in life :)"

Tonks March 21, 2018

"Works well for treating anxiety. I would occasionally experience tolerable dizziness for 30 minutes if taken prior to eating a meal. I took this medication for about 8 months, but eventually switched to Lexapro because I didn't like having to take it 3 times a day. I also didn't like how the anxiety would start coming back when the medicine was wearing off. I would consider taking this again in the future because unlike SSRI's, there are no sexual side effects and it is safe to take during pregnancy. I do recommend this medication if you don't mind taking it multiple times per day and can accept that you may occasionally feel mild dizziness for a short period of time after taking a dose."

Girl in her 20's (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 18, 2018

"I being in buspirone 5mg for 3 days I take it 3 times a day. I never had sleeping problem now I can't sleep also I had never being treated with anxiety. I hate taking pills so I stopped it right now. Also the side effects are ridiculous so no reason to take it anymore."

Yudy March 17, 2018

"I started experiencing extreme anxiety and panic attacks out of the blue a few months ago. I did not want to take any type of addictive drugs like Xanax or Valium so my doctor prescribed Buspar, 20mg twice a day. It has worked extremely well for me, I feel much calmer with no side effects."

Dcc (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

"Since I started this medication about 4 months ago, my depression increased dramatically. I went to several different doctors because I KNEW something was seriously wrong, but I didn’t know what it was. I couldn’t stop crying and couldn’t function at work. Over the last week I tapered myself off of Buspar, and today I didn’t take any. I gradually started feeling less crazy and today felt GREAT! I’m sure this med works for more people than it hurts. But, believe yourself even if the doctors don’t. If you feel worse, it may just be the Buspar!"

Flo (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I can take 15mg three times a day but most of the time I only take two a day as I was told not to take after 6 pm. But it works for me great. I haven't had any side effects or anything. It keeps me relaxed and calm and even when I want to get upset I really cant. I thank God for this drug. Give it a try if you haven't."

Dimples42 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

"Took for 21 days only , it didn't do anything for my anxiety nor the shortness of breath , in fact I think it increased my anxiety a little bit more and I was irritable. Also no positive affect on depression , and I felt like it was causing a memory and sexual problems a bit ."

Nate (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was doing much better on Clonazepam. I believe therapy and medication has as much to do with having quality of life than to changing to another medication. I found that if my therapist had no experience with anxiety counselling, I didn't do well with that therapist."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have narrow angle glaucoma and there are only two anti depressive/anti anxiety drugs that will not raise my eye pressure...wellbutrin and buspar. Wellbutrin tore up my stomach and upped my anxiety so after three months of that I switched to buspar. I must be very sensitive to drugs because even 5mg was too much and caused "brain zaps". I cut it in half and 2.5mg seems just right so far and it's only week two. I feel calmer and I intend to give this drug a chance to really work. Side effects are minimal and I take my second dose mid afternoon due to sleep issues if I take it in the evening. It doesn't do much for my depression but my depression is secondary to my anxiety. Like I said, I'm giving it a chance."

Coco958 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

"Well I kinda came here for help to see if it was normal to feel nauseous and stomach hurting and just feeling a little anxious, I just started today on 5mg of this drug and I’m only 18, my body feels very relaxed and I feel kinda happy but my stomach feels awful, will this go away? Will I be okay?"

Davie (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "Buspirone doesn't work near as well as Clonazepam. I was hopeful but hopeful does not stop my anxiety."

DanielJJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "Buspar does the job better than other medication so far. Everything else has made me feel worse. The first couple of times I took this medication my heart rate increased and I felt dizzy. This went away after a couple of days taking it. It makes me sick to my stomach if I take it on an empty stomach, so I definitely recommend eating a meal right before you take a pill."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2018

"Day 4 on buspirone, or as I have called it “bed rest from extreme nausea.” I’m on 7.5 mg twice daily and have only taken the required 2 doses one day because of the nausea. Someone, please tell me there is an end in sight. On the anxiety front...I only feel extreme angst about this nausea, other than that, pretty numb."

rachelfs (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2018