User Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 844 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 48% of those users who reviewed Buspirone reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Buspirone Rating Summary

5.9/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone

Ashton Malibu · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

“I was prescribed 7.5mg buspirone three times daily to treat anxiety. The drug started working relatively quickly. I needed to control my anxiety as it was causing multiple heart palpitations and irregularities. Within 2 weeks, my palpitations went from 1,600 recorded abnormalities on a 24hr Holter monitor test to virtually zero noticeable palpitations. My heart does not race as much since I've started buspirone. My overall anxiety has diminished moderately, and I have an easier time shutting off my mind before bed. I have also noticed slight improvements in my depression as well. I actually catch myself laughing and smiling more. I have not noticed and side effects after taking the medication either. Overall, a significant improvement on anxiety-induced palpitations, a moderate improvement on general anxiety, and a slight improvement on overall mood.”

Sean · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 20, 2021

“Unfortunately this didn’t touch my anxiety/intrusive thoughts. I played around with the doses and it did nothing whatsoever. Was really hopeful for this medicine since there are a lot less “potential” side effects than other anti anxiety meds. Going to all natural to see how it goes. Everyone is different though. Don’t read all over the internet and decide from there. Listen to your doctor.”

Mr K · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone): “I started taking Buspirone last year 5 mg a day for BPD EUPD ADHD then I stopped now for the past 2 months. I take 5 mg 3 times a day my anxiety and my panic attacks are controllable I've tried many medications as doctors don't give benzodiazepines and this is the best alternative. I don't agree with a lot of the anti-anxiety medications out there. I personally I think this is a godsend. I tried over 60 different medications and doctors call it trial and error a phase I dislike. I will carry on taking this medication and I can lead a better life than I did before I was taking his medication”

Better · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Buspar from what I read is for anxiety directly related to over thinking. This is what causes my anxiety. It’s chronic. I’ve read reviews that it doesn’t work, but maybe other people get anxiety from triggers. I just constantly over think everything to the point I avoid certain situations because I fear the outcome. This drug has allowed me to overcome this and talk about issues I have with someone, resolve issues faster, be more productive, etc. it’s drastically changed my life. Friends say I’m more cordial. Basically makes you feel very calm and more carefree and to stop thinking 24/7 about silly things”

Bud · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I just wanted to say how UPSET I am that so many doctors are afraid to prescribe benzodiazepines for anxiety relief. They are putting us on meds such as Seroquel, and others that are NOT designed to treat anxiety. Buspar, like other SSRIs and SSDNRIs, are not effective to treat attacks of anxiety. It’s out of hand how too many docs are not prescribing REAL anxiolytics. Buspar did not help me. I only want a PRN dose— not a maintenance med.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I’m an Iraq Veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD and chronic anxiety. When I first started taking the buspar it would generate some level of anxiety for me because it’s a new chemical being introduced into my body. I would fight through the anxiety and keep taking the pills. After about a week I no longer had to fight the anxiety that was generated by taking buspar. I started off at 5mg and now I’m up to 30mg a day. I’ve been taking it for about 4-5 months now and have seen great progress. I know the list of “potential” side effects can generate anxiety for you by just reading them. However, the only “side effects” I noticed was a little weight gain and an increase in my sex drive.( which isn’t bad for me and my spouse). I would recommend buspar to anyone. It’s one of those drugs that it will either work for you, or not.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 8, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I didn't read all the reviews but I was surprised to see people with intense reactions to BuSpar, maybe they took higher doses than I did. I've taken this drug on and off for a few years and it kind of works - it's hard to explain. I have taken probably 15-20 anxiety and depression meds in the last 10 years and many have bad side effects, buspar had none of those other than drowsiness - the only reason I keep buspar around is that it is very mild in my book - the effect is mild but the side effects are also mild or nonexistent”

Ray December 27, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I’ve had anxiety for years and I kinda just live life with it , sucks but I just deal with it. I’ve taken Lexapro, Prozac and a few other ones for anxiety, they barely work for me. I finally told my doctor to please help, I’m tired of living with anxiety and she prescribed Zoloft and Buspar. It’s been 2 months and I can finally say I think I found my medication, they work for me, I feel more normal again, not worrying for no reason, not feeling like I wanna rip outta my skin, not feeling like why me . I’m thankful for these medications.”

Anonymous January 13, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “In my experience the only think that works for anxiety is Benzodiazepines. I don't like how doctors are so quick to throw all sorts of different psychotic medications at patients when for the most part they don't really work. Just because something isn't a narcotic doesn't mean it should be overprescribed and just because Benzodiazepines are narcotics doesn't mean they shouldn't be prescribed.”

Mmbwdpnz · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Do not take this drug. Had a horrible experience. Nightmares, intrusive thoughts, mood swings, apathy, angry, made me the opposite of who I am. Withdrawals are even worse so much buzzing and brain zaps. I would have rather had the anxiety/panic attacks! Still dealing with all the bizzare effects. This is coming from someone who never was on any medication. Have to take other meds just to sleep and make it through my day now. Hoping to be back to normal soon. Thank goodness for the ER staff who helped me!”

California woman · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I took Buspirone when I had a back surgery and my father was sick from cancer, it was a very stressful time. I was in a panic. It helped me immediately (though I know it is supposed to take a few weeks). I remained on it for a few months as I dealt with the trauma of losing a parent. Then tapered off and went on about my business for a year. I’ve returned to the psych because I have regular anxiety and mild depression, he prescribed lexipro, I took that for 4 days and got increased anxiety and diarrhea, I decided to try to go back on the buspirone because I know that worked for me in the past. Here’s hoping it works again!”

kkheflin3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have been taking this medicine BuSpar for about 8 months. Because I also suffer from Bipolar I disorder I also take Lamictal, Provigil, and Seroquel. I take the Buspar three times a day and it took about a month to "kick in." I've been on several of the benzodiazepine group before for anxiety (Valium, Xanax, Ativan) and the only advantage to those is that you can take as needed for anxiety and they work quickly. They are also highly addictive. Buspar is not addictive but must be taken regularly--not just for an anxiety attack. It doesn't "work" for an immediate attack. But if you take it regularly three times a day you won't have anxiety and you won't need the benzos. I think it is wonderful!”

Luke · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2020

“Buspirone has been a life saver. I'm on 15 mg just began taking 2 weeks ago but noticed changes immediately. I'm a lot less focused on negativity and can blow off those unwanted thoughts. This stuff really works.”

Mg · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 31, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone): “My doctor said that is one of those drugs that work well or not at all. I was originally put on Prozac for anxiety, but couldn't tolerate the side effects. Lot of muscle twitching and jerky movements. I switched to Buspar and it worked great. I did have a problem with parasthesia for a while, and took gabapentin to relieve it. That went away after a couple of months, and I no longer take the gabapetin. My anxiety has virtually stopped and I feel really good. I would recommend giving it a try, and giving it time to work.”

Bubbz · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “So far I've been on Buspar 10mg twice a day for a week. My anxiety is much better than it was. I talked to my psychiatrist about taking the evening dose early afternoon and she said it was ok. As long as I stick to the same times everyday it will be ok. So I take my 1st dose at 6:30am and my 2nd dose around 1:30pm. Side effects are very mild. I take my 2nd dose early because If I take it later in the evening I have a hard time sleeping. I'm still getting used to the medicine. I take vistral 25mg if I get anxious still, but overall my anxiety is much better than it was.”

Nervous Rex · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 12, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): “Back in the early 90's I had been going through a few years of being a hypochondriac. I had had a severe depression, and just when I was starting to feel good, my mother was diagnosed with lung cancer and only lived about 4 more months. A year or so later I started to feel bumps and lumps and all sorts of "things"..driving to my doctors, walk-in clinics and hospitals over and over again...just to find out I was ok and this circle went on and off from 1988 - 1991. Thank goodness my doctor gave me a script for buspar. I don't remember what dose I was on. It wasn't a high dose. But 3 weeks after taking it I literally woke up one day feeling really good and realising I didn't have to fear being sick the way I had been. Like night and day. I have never been on an antidepressant or any similar drug that had such a major and wonderful effect. I didn't feel high or not myself, just the opposite. Please try it if you have crippling anxiety!”

WapoIts · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 27, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): “It's an excuse drug for doctor's to write because, because the drugs that actually work are controlled substances. Buspar does very little for anxiety and, depression. I feel you are better off smoking or drinking to calm you down. Thanks to government regulations everyone has to suffer.”

DocJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone): “While the success rate for Buspar has always been approximately 20 percent since inception, it seems to be making a comeback with psychiatrists since they don't like prescribing benzos. Nothing has changed, this is medication with low efficacy and many intolerable side effects.”

ScooterO · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “For the first month it had no effect but after that, the results have been more than satisfactory. Before being prescribed Buspar, I was prescribed only Klonopin while was effective it had worse side effects. For me or anyone like me I cannot recommend this drug enough, it's actually changed my life, for the better.”

Chas · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I took Buspar for two days. On the first day my sleep was not deep and a I had weird dreams. On the second day I had a massive panic attack after my third dose of 5mg, and was unable to sleep at all that night. It was a horrendous experience. It is an awful drug for me.”

Rooster February 25, 2020

“After 6 months of meth use my brain chemistry changed dramatically. I went from a successful sales team manager to a mental wreck who couldn’t stand in line at a store for 2 minutes without having a panic attack. After a brief hospitalization I finally decided it was time to fix it. So I saw a psychiatrist who put me on buspar. With my history of drug abuse, he decided to steer clear of benzos. Prozac, which I had successfully taken in the past, made my anxiety 10x worse. After taking my 1st dose of Buspar, my shaking ceased. I’m quite familiar with the placebo effect and I guarantee you that was not what was happening. Even though all pharmacology info available says it’s not immediately effective for acute anxiety, it worked wonders for me. Maybe it’s the “re-wiring” of my brain after the meth use, maybe I’m just nuts. So far, it has re-introduced me to life’s pleasures. I even felt positive ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR)) effects for the 1st time in years.”

Katie the grad student · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 27, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have anxiety from the time my eyes open to the time I close them to sleep (if I can). When I was prescribed buspar 10mg. My whole world changed. I can now function and my social anxiety is much better. My OCD is moderately managed along with therapy. But the anxiety is tremendously better. I do need to take it with food or I get very tried. But with a little food I don’t notice it. And it’s perfect for helping me sleep at night. I have panic attacks far less often now too and I’m more comfortable with this medication than the highly addictive benzodiazepines.”

lady t · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2020

“I have been taken buspirone for awhile now for anxiety. At first when I started I would be tired so the doctor told me to start taken at night. Now being on it awhile I take it twice a day in the morning and afternoon does not make me tired anymore. I absolutely love this medicine it works great for my anxiety. I'm on 10mg dose by the way”

Dan10804 August 1, 2020

“I had been taking Buspirone on and off for about a year at a dose of 5mg-15mg per day and felt disappointed after all I had read it could do. It did have a numbing effect on the GAD but it was definitely still there and I felt more tired than it was really worth. However my doctor and I pushed the dose to 40mg/day and that's when it really started to work (like flicking a switch). The GAD is gone like it was never there (which is strange at first but also wonderful) and I am really no more tired than at 15mg (feeling better gives you a lot of energy). Buspirone isn't the one for everyone, but it can be life-changing.”

Anonymous September 30, 2008

BuSpar (buspirone): “I've been taking Buspar for two years to control the symptoms of anxiety. Buspar has worked well for me. I had strong physical sensations of anxiety such as a "knot in my stomach" and hot flushes (can't be menopause because I'm a guy). Also Buspar helps me control my thoughts that some terrible event is just around the corner and I've got to do something to prepare for this unknown event. I've not had any side effects.”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Buspar should be classified as a hallucinogenic drug! I took it for one day (15mg.) with Zoloft to get off Ativan. It made me lightheaded, nauseas, nervous, speedy, and when I tried to sleep I saw terrible images moving around in my head- I couldn’t sleep at all! These awful hallucinations gave me panic attacks- I was so scared! I also had some uncontrolled jerky movements of my limbs when lying down! I called the nurse line for help because I could not reach my psychiatrist! This experience was a nightmare! I also read an FDA report that stated that Buspar can cause Tardive Dyskinesia- uncontrolled involuntary jerking movements of face and body. Who wants that? Do not take it!”

jah123 December 7, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone): “Buspar has completely and utterly changed my life. I have struggled with generalized anxiety ever since I was a child, and I've never been able to find a permanent solution. I have taken Xanax and Klonopin, but those are short-acting, and you build resistance to them quickly, and they're habit-forming. Now that I'm on Buspar, I have no anxiety. None. Nada. Zip. No more butterflies in my stomach, no more hyperventilating, no more irrational thoughts. I can fall asleep at night no problem, and wake up in the morning and be excited about my day. It takes a while to start noticing (3 weeks for me), but it's completely worth the wait. I'm finally excited about my future, and I finally feel in control of my life.”

Em September 6, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Day three on BuSpar and I love it already. Feel more relaxed and not overthinking every little thing.”