User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

"Buspar* Took 5 MG at 10:00 pm and stayed up until 2 am the night before work (due to being very mentally hyper and aware). Mouth and eyes very dry the next day.  Felt very weird all day the next day. Very hyper.  Wanted to continuously talk.  Felt wired but yet didn't really want to move.  Hard to function at work, but yet was in good mood (almost felt drunk). Seemed like I was slurring(possibly from dry mouth?)"

AuntBetty February 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been titrating up on Buspar after going off of Xanax last year and then starting up with 5mg fluoxetine and 10mg doxepin. So far, this is working far more gently than the xanax. I don't have a zap of relief following by impending panic attacks within hours. I am much more level. I am having side effects of nausea, dizziness, and light-headedness for a few days after each increase in dosage. I'm up to 20mg 3x a day and I'm supposed to sit tight here so I'm hoping to be done with the side effects soon and get into a stable state. I had a ton of problems with withdrawal from the benzos so I don't want to go back to them; buspirone has been a great alternative so far. My anxiety is so bad that I'd rather be dizzy and nauseated than anxious"

OCPD & Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "This stuff is HORRIBLE. Made me very irritated/jumpy/even more anxious. Felt like my mind was racing...felt even more overwhelmed. This is the worst stuff I've been on yet..I had to stop taking it because I couldn't even function right. This stuff is really, really bad.. doc put me on Lexapro today hopefully that helps!!"

AmberLP February 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My doctor put me on this medicine on 2-17-2017 twice a day at 7.5mg for my anxiety and stress levels. Today is 2-20-2017 and I'm already having issues. I ended up getting extremely light headed, heart racing, sweating, and dizzy all in the matter of five minutes. I went to go to the bathroom so I could try and feel better. Next time I remember I was on the floor laying in a pool of my own vomit. At that time, I had no idea what was going on, what had happened, or anything. I ended up having a bad seizure. I was locked in place for five minutes, not breathing properly, and throwing up everywhere. I was extremely confused and exhausted like I had just ran a marathon. Went to bed and had another one six hours later."

Bee Jop (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I feel like most of the reviews that say they had panic attacks on it is because they had reduced or stopped a benzo Xanax, kolanapin, valum. I am on Xanax and feel a difference after taking buspar for a while. My doctor did not take me off the xanax or lower the dose but said see how you feel. I also have a non addicting personality but I am dependent on the medication ill admit. i feel that most of you should have started taking the buspar and took the benzo as well because you might be feeling the anxiety more because of that not the new medication. You are withdrawing. These medications need to be slowly weened off and only after the new meds have started working. I feel bad you guys didn't give it a chance because of your Drs."

peeto February 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been on bupropion for depression several years with dry mouth being the only side effect. Panic attacks started a couple of years ago. Take Xanax and it works great for me. Last year the panic attacks started occurring more often with severe anxiety this past fall. I didn't want to get addicted to Xanax by taking several times or more a week. Started Buspirone 7.5 mg 2/x per day. I felt relief from my anxiety in about 3 weeks, but around 8-10 week mark I felt like it contributed to weight gain and bloating . Taking 7.5 only once a day lessened side effects. However 3mo. now weight gain is 5-6 lbs (a lot for 5'1"), bloated and water retention none of which is reducing with proper diet, exercise and increased water intake."

AnnieTdub February 15, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I left a review awhile back, but now I have to revise it. When I first started taking Buspar I was happy with it, but then it stopped working for me. I'm now on the max dosage of 60 mg. I take 30 mg in the morning & 30 mg in the evening, but it is not helping me at all. I still have very bad anxiety, panic attacks & paranoia. Since it isn't doing anything for me I will probably stop taking it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've had panic and general anxiety for years. It's been exacerbated by hormonal changes and menopause, and I've had major trouble getting a full night's sleep. I have used Xanax occasionally and love the way it eliminates my anxiety, but I don't want to get addicted. My doc had me try a low dose Buspar and it didn't work for me at all. Gave me a horrendous headache, very very painful. I tried it for about three days and had the same experience every time. I had to stop taking it since this side effect was debilitating. I was hoping it would work for me, and so glad it works for others. Just putting my experience out there in case others have this problem. I'm trying Celexa now instead and have learned to limit Xanax usage."

Unknown Celebrity (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It is too bad that doctor's are so freaked out about addictive behavior to the point where they are willing to let people suffer. Valium in low dose works and this is just junk. It may work for some but even results using test rats I have seen state they have low results. I resent it when a person really needs help for acute conditions and they are given this kind of low performing medication."

Valkyrie2 January 30, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have bipolar disorder with anxiety problems. My nurse practitioner at my psychiatrist office persribed buspar for my anxiety. I got home took it and went to bed, only to wake up in the middle of the night with the bed soaked in sweat, i'm burning up with my heart beating so fast my chest was hurting. I went back to my old medicine after that."

LunarRevel January 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've long used BuSpar, and it is an odd duck. Alone, it did little, but in combination with other meds it's amazing. Particularly SSRIs. It seems to amplify other meds, from painkillers to Prozac. It's not something I'm afraid to take, the boost is subtle but it definitely helps my anxiety slip away. I've not noticed any sick withdrawal efffects, being off it once for 2 months. I take 30 mg/day in two 15 mg doses."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started taking this medicine last Saturday after I had an attack and passed out on the floor Friday and was sent to the ER. Well they prescribed me this, I have never had any situations like this before, and since I have been taking it I have been so confused, slow to react, tired, dizzy, and can't even hardly function at my job right now."

Matt.Taylor January 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I know this med doesn't work for everyone, but I really love buspar. When I started it, and whenever I have gone up in dose, I'll get a few days of headaches, but the side effects are so mild, and this is coming from someone who couldn't handle 5mg of lexapro. Buspar is the only med I take and I no longer have crushing and debilitating anxiety. I've got a totally normal level of anxiety. Best of all, I feel like myself completely (minus the anxiety, lol). I take 15mg twice a day"

Unfamousnovelist (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started Buspar because I was having anxiety with the horrendous pain from gallbladder attacks. I started out at 7.5 for three days and then was supposed to advance to 15 mg. During the week of starting this, I had to have an emergency surgery for my gallbladder. When I was finally able to take this consistently, I found that I suffered from insomnia, felt restless and nervous, dizzy, and down right horrible. I have taken it less than a week and I have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow. If I stop taking this, will I have withdrawal symptoms? Or should I do this gradually? My gallbladder symptoms are gone and my body feels great after the surgery. Any suggestions?"

Why Me? January 16, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been on Buspar for 7 days, and I have already noticed that my life-long intrusive thoughts/rumination have died down a lot. I have also noticed a decrease in social anxiety. I'm taking 15mg a day, 7.5 morning/evening. I wasn't on anything before, so I have nothing to compare to but my untreated state."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vanspar (buspirone): "Went into anaphylaxis after third dose. Increased anxiety. Had to go to the emergency room via ambulance. Mouth, tongue, & throat were swollen, chest was tight, severe all over itching, & itching throat. Found out this only works 50% of the time. That it's a hail Mary drug. It works on half of the people, makes the other half worse. Be very cautious with this one. Because it's a 50/50 chance."

JJann January 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I take it when I have an Anxiety - feel relief in about 30min. Also I take it before bedtime and I find it a very good sleeping pill. If you have insomnia- take 7.5 Remeron. It will do good! I promise"

FredBab January 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I began taking buspirone 10mg 3 times per day and had it increased to 20mg 3 times per day. Buspirone only made my anxiety worse and gave me panic attacks daily. I am also taking fluoxetine and ziprasidone. Once I stopped taking buspirone the panic attacks stopped. This medicine didn't work for me."

Borderline45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It's an excellent alternative to benzoids. I didn't notice anything right away. One day, a few weeks later I noticed my mind wasn't racing itself into destruction anymore! I'm glad there's no benzoid withdrawal."

DJ.HAM January 12, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My doctor just started me on Buspirone, 7.5mg twice a day! It makes me super drowsy as if I'm drunk. I am always lightheaded, and drowsy without, I am even wondering if I have anxiety....I been on it since friday and today is Monday. So maybe in about 2 weeks I will feel better! I sure hope so!"

WantingACure (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "Needed something for severe anxiety and this worked really well at first. I was amazed at how well it worked for the first month and then it all went downhill from there which is strange because I have read it takes a month to work in some people. Was taking 2 doses a day and it worked great but it was short lived. Tried 3 doses a day and that only made it worse. Just felt horrible on it after a couple of months. Maybe it will work for you but it was not for me"

Toil (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started taking buspar about 2 months ago. I started having "brain zaps" and I thought it was temporary. It was not. I started getting water retention and I wanted to eat more than usual. I also was extremely irritable constantly. I was told to take 5mg twice daily. I started with half a pill then after a week the whole pill 2x daily. I since then I decreased my dose to half. Now I'm off completely. All of the side effects have stopped almost immediately. No brain zaps, irritability decreased slowly, and water retention stopped. This pill didn't do anything except all of the bad. On the positive side - getting off of it does not give you severe withdrawal."

Experience1416 January 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have Epilepsy as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I have been taking Klonopin and my Doctor is concerned about addictive behavior, so she put me on Buspar and decreased Klonopin. After the first dose, I had a massive panic attack (which can trigger seizures) so I also had a seizure in which I had to go to the E.R for. It also made my hands and feet sweaty, I was shaky all over, and always anxious. I was very appreciative that my doctor let me get off of Buspirone because it is just awful! I would not recommend it to anyone, especially patients who have epilepsy!"

Sari865 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I'm a 32 year old male and I've been taking buspar for about 10 months. At first it did nothing but make my anxiety worse. I would wake up with to full blown panic attacks and have the worse nightmares ever. However I'm now taking 40mg of citaloptam a day mixed with the buspar 15mg and 1mg of xanax twice a day. And Zanax! I have insomnia mixed with with deep anxiety issues. The problem that I have is the buspar makes me so fat! I'm literally considering stop taking it and just see of the other meds can help. Buspar Alone is no substitution for anxiety drug and wouldn't recommend it..."

Here4u2 December 31, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

BuSpar (buspirone): "Good medicine"

Ddavisyyy December 30, 2016