User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started Buspar because I was having anxiety with the horrendous pain from gallbladder attacks. I started out at 7.5 for three days and then was supposed to advance to 15 mg. During the week of starting this, I had to have an emergency surgery for my gallbladder. When I was finally able to take this consistently, I found that I suffered from insomnia, felt restless and nervous, dizzy, and down right horrible. I have taken it less than a week and I have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow. If I stop taking this, will I have withdrawal symptoms? Or should I do this gradually? My gallbladder symptoms are gone and my body feels great after the surgery. Any suggestions?"

Why Me? January 16, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been on Buspar for 7 days, and I have already noticed that my life-long intrusive thoughts/rumination have died down a lot. I have also noticed a decrease in social anxiety. I'm taking 15mg a day, 7.5 morning/evening. I wasn't on anything before, so I have nothing to compare to but my untreated state."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

Vanspar (buspirone): "Went into anaphylaxis after third dose. Increased anxiety. Had to go to the emergency room via ambulance. Mouth, tongue, & throat were swollen, chest was tight, severe all over itching, & itching throat. Found out this only works 50% of the time. That it's a hail Mary drug. It works on half of the people, makes the other half worse. Be very cautious with this one. Because it's a 50/50 chance."

JJann January 14, 2017

"I take it when I have an Anxiety - feel relief in about 30min. Also I take it before bedtime and I find it a very good sleeping pill. If you have insomnia- take 7.5 Remeron. It will do good! I promise"

FredBab January 13, 2017

"I began taking buspirone 10mg 3 times per day and had it increased to 20mg 3 times per day. Buspirone only made my anxiety worse and gave me panic attacks daily. I am also taking fluoxetine and ziprasidone. Once I stopped taking buspirone the panic attacks stopped. This medicine didn't work for me."

Borderline45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

"It's an excellent alternative to benzoids. I didn't notice anything right away. One day, a few weeks later I noticed my mind wasn't racing itself into destruction anymore! I'm glad there's no benzoid withdrawal."

DJ.HAM January 12, 2017

"My doctor just started me on Buspirone, 7.5mg twice a day! It makes me super drowsy as if I'm drunk. I am always lightheaded, and drowsy without, I am even wondering if I have anxiety....I been on it since friday and today is Monday. So maybe in about 2 weeks I will feel better! I sure hope so!"

WantingACure (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "Needed something for severe anxiety and this worked really well at first. I was amazed at how well it worked for the first month and then it all went downhill from there which is strange because I have read it takes a month to work in some people. Was taking 2 doses a day and it worked great but it was short lived. Tried 3 doses a day and that only made it worse. Just felt horrible on it after a couple of months. Maybe it will work for you but it was not for me"

Toil (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started taking buspar about 2 months ago. I started having "brain zaps" and I thought it was temporary. It was not. I started getting water retention and I wanted to eat more than usual. I also was extremely irritable constantly. I was told to take 5mg twice daily. I started with half a pill then after a week the whole pill 2x daily. I since then I decreased my dose to half. Now I'm off completely. All of the side effects have stopped almost immediately. No brain zaps, irritability decreased slowly, and water retention stopped. This pill didn't do anything except all of the bad. On the positive side - getting off of it does not give you severe withdrawal."

Experience1416 January 6, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have Epilepsy as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I have been taking Klonopin and my Doctor is concerned about addictive behavior, so she put me on Buspar and decreased Klonopin. After the first dose, I had a massive panic attack (which can trigger seizures) so I also had a seizure in which I had to go to the E.R for. It also made my hands and feet sweaty, I was shaky all over, and always anxious. I was very appreciative that my doctor let me get off of Buspirone because it is just awful! I would not recommend it to anyone, especially patients who have epilepsy!"

Sari865 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I'm a 32 year old male and I've been taking buspar for about 10 months. At first it did nothing but make my anxiety worse. I would wake up with to full blown panic attacks and have the worse nightmares ever. However I'm now taking 40mg of citaloptam a day mixed with the buspar 15mg and 1mg of xanax twice a day. And Zanax! I have insomnia mixed with with deep anxiety issues. The problem that I have is the buspar makes me so fat! I'm literally considering stop taking it and just see of the other meds can help. Buspar Alone is no substitution for anxiety drug and wouldn't recommend it..."

Here4u2 December 31, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "Good medicine"

Ddavisyyy December 30, 2016

"I am a very anxious person, socially especially. I take valium 5mg 3x a day (but lately only as needed, I'm tired of going through my script so quick) & yesterday asked my doctor to prescribe Buspar (buspirone) and to let me try it in addition to my valium. He agreed it was safe to take with my other medications (quite a few that I take for chronic pain and anxiety) but this medication, that is the ONLY FDA approved medication for anxiety that is NOT addictive, or so he says, actually has made me smile and made my general social and overall anxiety go away. I just started yesterday, 15mg 3x a day, and even tho I am staying on valium for now, this med may help me wean back to a smaller dose of benzos. Good luck!"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

"Dumb drug under tested"

Dudeman27262u2o292 December 24, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "This drug is awful. My Dr. took me off my klonopin because she was worried about addictive behavior. This drug i only took ! time and will not take again. It made me very dizzy, sick to my stomach, my hear was racing. It basically gave me the worst panic attack I've ever had. Odd since this is supposed to be for anxiety. I understand the risk with taking benzos but it the only thing that has ever helped me. I would recomend never taking buspar."

Art J December 21, 2016

"I started buspirone last week. Prescribed to take one 7.5mg twice a day. I'm not big on pill taking so with my doctors consent have only taken them when needed. The first day was... a unique one. I was extremely lightheaded and dizzy. As if the entire room was spilling but at the same time I had this unbelievable sense of relief from my anxiety. There are no words for the sense of relief and calm that i felt. With each day I've taken them the dizzy spell has gotten weaker and weaker. I do have a dull headache afterwards but it passes with time and Tylenol. I'm hoping that goes away as well. But if I have to choose between minor dizziness, and a slight headache over the chest pounding, agonizingly severe panic attack... I choose the buspirone"

Winning against anxiety December 19, 2016

"My first ever medication I tried for anxiety and with unfavorable results unfortunately. Taking it the first week I felt slightly less anxious and ready to move. After this though, I started to can a terrible dizziness that would keep me locked in my bed for hours until it subsides. I tried using this in different settings, times and with different meals to see if anything was going to work but the dizziness was deafening. Had to come off of it after less than a month of feeling like I was on a horrible plane ride."

Lee...H. December 16, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "Geeze. I started buspar 2 weeks ago in hospital. They had me taking 5mg twice a day. My psyc said too take three times a day because I have come off adavan. My issue is, the first dise works great, the second one I take at 6:00 knocks me on my butt after I eat. Literally I become kinda lathargic, I am also med sensitive. Help please"

fancyfree (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

"Buspirone has improved my life! Initial response was unpleasant. Prescribed 10mg 1/2-1 pill every 6-8 hrs. First dose felt odd, not myself, jittery, detached. Others positive reviews prompted me to started w/only 1/4 pill before a nap then 1/2 before bed. Being asleep made a difference, woke up refreshed, alert, at ease. Then took 1 pill 3 x day. Day 5 the constant ringing in my ears from tinnitus was less noticeable and my stress level better. After a month I feel so much happier! Positive, alert, more in control. Negatives: vivid dreams. Symptoms of my autoimmune disorder are improved, it appears Buspirone helps in more ways than is listed and has turned out to be the single most effective med I take. Wish I had it years ago!"

DB867 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

"I started on 5mg twice a day for the first month and now am on 10mg twice a day for 2-3 weeks now. It made me really dizzy after taking it and it still does but I just make sure to take it when I'm sitting down for awhile. I did not really think it was working at all because I was getting anxious constantly still. However this last week I have had zero anxiety. In fact I feel so weird not worrying all the time. But I am happy because it's actually working. I am glad I stuck it out. I recommend staying on it for 6-8 weeks before deciding it does not work. Yes there are some side effects but nothing like SSRIs that I had taken in past."

Toni10 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016

"Why is everyone on such extremely low doses of Buspar?? I've been taking it for approx 3 years for anxiety at a prescribed dose of 30 mgs every 4 - 6 hours for a total not to exceed 150mgs daily. The half life of Buspar is only 2-3 hours so it makes absolutely no sense to me that someone would only be taking one dose per day unless they're only wanting to curb their anxiety symptoms for 4-6 hours per day.... . ."

V1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2016

"I started this for my moderate anxiety and the side effects were so terrible I had to stop. Felt like my head wasn't attached to my body, really dizzy and therefore nauseous too. I took it with food and within 15 minutes every time I feel like this. Made me vomit the first time because I was so dizzy. I'm going back tomorrow and refuse to take it anymore. I couldn't feel any positive effects because I was too busy trying to stand straight"

PattiLh November 30, 2016

"Not good experience AT ALL. I Have anxiety and depression - usually managable with 20mg paroxetine but exacerbated by stress at work- also diagnosed with C-PTSD. Take diazepam as and when to deal with most severe panic attacks. Psychiatrist assured me I could still take diazepam with this drug. After 1st dose I felt drowsy, spaced out and dizzy with heavy legs. I actually fell down a small flight of stairs in my house and later on in the day slipped on the main staircase. Decided to persevere and take another in the evening. Woke up feeling like a zombie, could hardly stay awake, headache and on edge. Discontinued. That night, woke up TERRIFIED and spent next day (today) either having intense panic attacks or wanting to commit suicide"

Welsh girl (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

"Started taking this medication for GAO. I had never taken any medication regularly before. I got diagnosed with GAO at 31. Started on a low dose 5mg per day and over the course of a month it got bumped up to 15 mg twice a day. This drug didn't give me immediate relief. It took six weeks but all of the symptoms of my GAO have disappeared. I am finally reaping the rewards of the full clinical effect, I feel like myself again! Initially I had side effects like dizzyness, ringing in my ears and nausea but over time they have lessened. I still don't feel too hot for the first hour after I take it but after that hour, I'm golden. I had to be patient and just deal with my GAO, which sucked. My take: The juice is worth the squeeze"

Rich911 November 27, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I am always hungry since starting Buspar and getting fat! But it does help with anxiety. Doctor denies it can cause weight gain. How can I stop gaining weight and lose??"

Leanna114 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016