User Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone

PESP · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

“Took buspirone for a week. Got diarrhea, woke up earlier than I usually did, and got extremely fatigued by around 8 PM every night. Just wasn't for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 8, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I didn't read all the reviews but I was surprised to see people with intense reactions to BuSpar, maybe they took higher doses than I did. I've taken this drug on and off for a few years and it kind of works - it's hard to explain. I have taken probably 15-20 anxiety and depression meds in the last 10 years and many have bad side effects, buspar had none of those other than drowsiness - the only reason I keep buspar around is that it is very mild in my book - the effect is mild but the side effects are also mild or nonexistent”

themoth · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

“I have CPTSD and a very stressful life as a single parent. I started on buspirone 5mg 2x a day because I am sensitive to meds and wanted to reduce any possible side effects. I felt a little "off" stomach-wise for the first two doses but nothing intolerable. I then went up to 5mg 3x a day. Zero reduction in anxiety symptoms. Then my doc raised it to 7.5mg 3x a day. Still nothing. It feels like a placebo or something. I'll give it some stars for not giving me side effects like the SSRIs I can't tolerate. Doc said they would try the max dose soon but I'm not hopeful. I'm still having trouble falling/staying asleep, huge startle response, easily triggered and trouble focusing.”

Timtom · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“This medication buspirone was recommended to me for anxiety after taking Lamictal for around 6 months. During that time my depression got better but anxiety got worse. To combat this my doctor put me on 10mg twice a day. Unfortunately my anxiety appears to have gotten even worse and the side effects have been terrible even after 2 months. Sensations of dizziness, headache, disorientation, and disassociation occurred daily. Almost always twice a day, but sometimes up to 4 times lasting 30-45min but at most 2 hours. Abdominal pains, loss of appetite also. Physiological panic attacks have occurred daily as well. I don't act anxious but my body is seething. Heart rate, heated flushedness, agitation, fear, uncontrollable inner narrative etc. I feel awful on it and fear after quarantine this side effects will be detrimental for my job in commercial electric work with large machinery and power tools.”

Mmbwdpnz · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Do not take this drug. Had a horrible experience. Nightmares, intrusive thoughts, mood swings, apathy, angry, made me the opposite of who I am. Withdrawals are even worse so much buzzing and brain zaps. I would have rather had the anxiety/panic attacks! Still dealing with all the bizzare effects. This is coming from someone who never was on any medication. Have to take other meds just to sleep and make it through my day now. Hoping to be back to normal soon. Thank goodness for the ER staff who helped me!”

Copper · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 3, 2020

“A godsend. My anxiety on buspirone went from an 8 to a 1 1/2. I can do things now without worrying. At 15 mg twice a day. Give it a try!”

Chas · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I took Buspar for two days. On the first day my sleep was not deep and a I had weird dreams. On the second day I had a massive panic attack after my third dose of 5mg, and was unable to sleep at all that night. It was a horrendous experience. It is an awful drug for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I’m an Iraq Veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD and chronic anxiety. When I first started taking the buspar it would generate some level of anxiety for me because it’s a new chemical being introduced into my body. I would fight through the anxiety and keep taking the pills. After about a week I no longer had to fight the anxiety that was generated by taking buspar. I started off at 5mg and now I’m up to 30mg a day. I’ve been taking it for about 4-5 months now and have seen great progress. I know the list of “potential” side effects can generate anxiety for you by just reading them. However, the only “side effects” I noticed was a little weight gain and an increase in my sex drive.( which isn’t bad for me and my spouse). I would recommend buspar to anyone. It’s one of those drugs that it will either work for you, or not.”

Drugs March 12, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I took Buspar for about 3 and a half months, and noticed very mild effects if any at all. I suffer from severe anxiety, and panic attacks. After taking Buspar I can honestly say, it doesn't do much.”

California woman · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I took Buspirone when I had a back surgery and my father was sick from cancer, it was a very stressful time. I was in a panic. It helped me immediately (though I know it is supposed to take a few weeks). I remained on it for a few months as I dealt with the trauma of losing a parent. Then tapered off and went on about my business for a year. I’ve returned to the psych because I have regular anxiety and mild depression, he prescribed lexipro, I took that for 4 days and got increased anxiety and diarrhea, I decided to try to go back on the buspirone because I know that worked for me in the past. Here’s hoping it works again!”

Keno · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I wouldn’t say this medicine is horrible but it didn’t help me. I feel like this is for people with very mild anxiety. My anxiety is very high so it only helped a little. Made me dizzy, and gave me a headache I tried it for 8 days and stopped. I’m now on Zoloft 25mg and really liking it so far.”

Bud · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I just wanted to say how UPSET I am that so many doctors are afraid to prescribe benzodiazepines for anxiety relief. They are putting us on meds such as Seroquel, and others that are NOT designed to treat anxiety. Buspar, like other SSRIs and SSDNRIs, are not effective to treat attacks of anxiety. It’s out of hand how too many docs are not prescribing REAL anxiolytics. Buspar did not help me. I only want a PRN dose— not a maintenance med.”

KeepPushinOn · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

“Took buspirone, 20mg/day, for four months, for general anxiety. Have been taking lamotrigine also for one year and five months. Initial buspirone side effects: prolonged haziness, nausea (disappeared after +/- 10 days), fatigue. Over time, experienced a general calming effect. Downside: a lot of undesirable, sedative effects. Lack of focus, slowness to absorb information, poor impulse control, short-term memory loss. Physical side effects: tinnitus, dizzy spells, loss of balance, loss of appetite, weight gain, muscle cramps. Consumption of even small amounts of alcohol led to blackouts and (uncharacteristic) volatile outbursts. Work performance declined quickly, conflicts at home emerged. Stopping this medication led to improvements in productivity, focus, impulse control, physical energy/stamina, memory. Brief periods of tension also re-emerged.”

Better · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Buspar from what I read is for anxiety directly related to over thinking. This is what causes my anxiety. It’s chronic. I’ve read reviews that it doesn’t work, but maybe other people get anxiety from triggers. I just constantly over think everything to the point I avoid certain situations because I fear the outcome. This drug has allowed me to overcome this and talk about issues I have with someone, resolve issues faster, be more productive, etc. it’s drastically changed my life. Friends say I’m more cordial. Basically makes you feel very calm and more carefree and to stop thinking 24/7 about silly things”

Rooster February 25, 2020

“After 6 months of meth use my brain chemistry changed dramatically. I went from a successful sales team manager to a mental wreck who couldn’t stand in line at a store for 2 minutes without having a panic attack. After a brief hospitalization I finally decided it was time to fix it. So I saw a psychiatrist who put me on buspar. With my history of drug abuse, he decided to steer clear of benzos. Prozac, which I had successfully taken in the past, made my anxiety 10x worse. After taking my 1st dose of Buspar, my shaking ceased. I’m quite familiar with the placebo effect and I guarantee you that was not what was happening. Even though all pharmacology info available says it’s not immediately effective for acute anxiety, it worked wonders for me. Maybe it’s the “re-wiring” of my brain after the meth use, maybe I’m just nuts. So far, it has re-introduced me to life’s pleasures. I even felt positive ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR)) effects for the 1st time in years.”

Maddie February 19, 2020

“Not going to lie, I had this about a year almost 2. I noticed when I am on this, I am more irritable, I have restless nights where I don't fall asleep or stay asleep. I noticed that my mindset has completely changed negatively and it doesn't keep me calm or relaxed. I feel more nervous or anxious. I noticed if I am off of them, I get more emotional. I am telling you, this is not the medication for you especially if you take half. I think it messes with my breathing too. I am more tired and low energy when I take this.”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Buspar should be classified as a hallucinogenic drug! I took it for one day (15mg.) with Zoloft to get off Ativan. It made me lightheaded, nauseas, nervous, speedy, and when I tried to sleep I saw terrible images moving around in my head- I couldn’t sleep at all! These awful hallucinations gave me panic attacks- I was so scared! I also had some uncontrolled jerky movements of my limbs when lying down! I called the nurse line for help because I could not reach my psychiatrist! This experience was a nightmare! I also read an FDA report that stated that Buspar can cause Tardive Dyskinesia- uncontrolled involuntary jerking movements of face and body. Who wants that? Do not take it!”

acirod · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 18, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Buspar DOES help with anxiety, but it you have another comorbid illness like depression, it might feel like it is not helping on that area. I was on this medication for a few months and my anxiety felt really better, but my depression was still bugging me a lot so I was switched to Zoloft. Buspar helped me with the palpitations and chest pain related to anxiety, I felt like I could think better and even breathe better. It was a great medication. The only downside to it is that you can get headaches or brain zaps if you forget a dose, so put an alarm on your phone!”

KONNOR · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “Have been taking Buspar 15mg 3 times a day for 3 months and didn't notice anything therapeutic at all, going to the doctor's tomorrow might ask for the max of 20mgs 3 times a day. Not sure if it is a very ineffective med, or whether I would go as far and say it's a rubbish med”

Theanxietyfreak · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have had emetophobia since I can remember (the fear of vomit). For the past couple months I have been dealing with horrible stomach problems and nasty anxiety attacks. When I went to the doctor they suggested I take Zoloft for the anxiety. Zoloft was the first SSRI I tried and the first night I tried it I felt extremely sick. I went to the doctor again and they put me on prozac. I took that the first day and felt okay. The second day I took it I couldn’t even get out of bed. I was super nervous to try anything else (especially SSRI’s). So my doctor prescribed me BusPar. It is not an SSRI and doesn’t have as bad side affects. I’m taking this pill 2x’s a day and I started taking last night and am now on the third dose. I haven’t felt sick at all and I hope it stays that way!! But so far so good!”

kkheflin3 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “I have been taking this medicine BuSpar for about 8 months. Because I also suffer from Bipolar I disorder I also take Lamictal, Provigil, and Seroquel. I take the Buspar three times a day and it took about a month to "kick in." I've been on several of the benzodiazepine group before for anxiety (Valium, Xanax, Ativan) and the only advantage to those is that you can take as needed for anxiety and they work quickly. They are also highly addictive. Buspar is not addictive but must be taken regularly--not just for an anxiety attack. It doesn't "work" for an immediate attack. But if you take it regularly three times a day you won't have anxiety and you won't need the benzos. I think it is wonderful!”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone): “My 17 year old daughter was put on this Buspar a month ago it heightened her anxiety it made her have angry outbursts. Her entire demeanor has changed she isn’t my daughter on this med. Needless to say the doctor disagreed with me but I took her off it last night . This med is horrible !!!”

TdKA · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 10, 2020

“This meditation does absolutely nothing and it doesn't matter how big my dosage is. Only thing it causes is terrible brain zaps and drowsiness. My anxiety and panic attacks are so bad that I have to go to the ER and still doctors won't prescribe me Benzodiazepine.”

Jon February 7, 2020

“Buspar worked great for about two weeks. Now I feel very spaced out irritable I kept having muscle spasms and panic attacks from it. My anxiety got way worse and mentally and physically I feel awful from this . I didn't take any today and felt 20 times better although I still have a very weird body high from it. It is making me have feel realyy nauseous, lightheaded, dizzy, made me paranoid and made my PTSD way worse. I'll never take this stuff again. I just wany to feel halfway normal again”

silkptls · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

“Was on lorazepam along with Zoloft. Still on Zoloft but switched me to buspirone and .5 lorazepam occasionally for a month. Buspirone gave me explosive diarrhea. I’m scared to take any more.”