User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

BuSpar (buspirone): "Buspirone doesn't work near as well as Clonazepam. I was hopeful but hopeful does not stop my anxiety."

DanielJJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "Buspar does the job better than other medication so far. Everything else has made me feel worse. The first couple of times I took this medication my heart rate increased and I felt dizzy. This went away after a couple of days taking it. It makes me sick to my stomach if I take it on an empty stomach, so I definitely recommend eating a meal right before you take a pill."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2018

"Day 4 on buspirone, or as I have called it “bed rest from extreme nausea.” I’m on 7.5 mg twice daily and have only taken the required 2 doses one day because of the nausea. Someone, please tell me there is an end in sight. On the anxiety front...I only feel extreme angst about this nausea, other than that, pretty numb."

rachelfs (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started out taking 2 doses of 5 mg a day. The first few days I did notice a little mood boost but it didn’t last long. We raised my dose 5 more mg (15mg a day) and same thing but it went away. Didn’t help with my panic or separation anxiety. Did help with depersonalization. It made me tired, nauseous & gave diarrhea the first couple days. Those went away after that but it did give me a weird feeling about 45 minutes after taking each dose. I tapered off after 2-3 months."

listentobadsuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "It's working fine for me so far"

Pam89 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "This was my first night of taking Buspar for anxiety 15 mg and it made it worst, I am tensed , I feel tingly , cold and jumpy. And I can’t sleep at all. I do not like this feeling at all. Worst feeling ever."

Aleese (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2018

"I went on Busiprone Jan 10 it is now 30th, 20 days of half being good, but the last week I have had the worst panic attacks ever in my life being on this stuff. 7.5mg x 2 twice a day. heart palps, panic attacks, coldness, dizziness, tired eyes, back and chest muscles are tight, especially in between doses, yet everyone said wait the 3 weeks, no thank you! today is the last day, anxiety hasn't improved and a massive panic attack almost sending me to the E.R. tonight, they were more constant on this stuff! I have had 4 attacks in my life, this week its been 4/5 per day, every other day. Idk, tonight I thought I was going to loose my mind after I took them. The ending point was I could feel the meds kick in, but this last attack was so severe, it scared me I know it was a weird reaction to these meds, cuz now that it is out of my system, I feel fine.. this drug is horrible."

Ughisright (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've struggled with anxiety all of my life. I am also about to get tested for ADHD in my 40's. The Buspar has stopped the constant worry, but the focus issue and being scattered brained hasn't changed. My anxiety is definitely better. But it's all at a price. I feel emotionally numb. I don't really feel much anything. I'm could just sit and stare watching everyone life go by except for continuing to fidget and tapping my feet constantly. I'm on 5mg twice a day for two weeks now. Its nice to have relief from the anxiety but my fidgety mind is trapped in this sluggish emotional state. My heart and my head feel like two separate entities strangely. And my dreams are so vivid I feel like I'm in something as real as when I'm awake. I dreamed I in an earthquake, tsunami and I saw my dog get bit in the face by a gigantic snake. I almost would rather deal with the anxiety. At least I felt normal."

Geeg January 28, 2018

"I took my first buspar last night. I was told to split it in half the first week. So my prescription was 15mg but, my first dose was 7.5mg anyways...20 min later..I was lying in bed playing a game on my phone when suddenly my vision got blurry and then five min after that I started to tremble uncontrollably and then came the diarrhea. I had a hard time falling asleep too. I went from feeling just "ok" to a full blown freak out. Never again will I take this drug."

Goodie 2 shoes January 14, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "Horrible drug, made my anxiety worse! An hour after my second dose I became nauseous and had the spins bad."

Buspirone (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "DO NOT TAKE THIS CRAP! My experience was so bad I actually turned to Burboun to get me out of this hole that buspar put me in. I can only explain it like this: take the most familiar place to you and suddenly this place you know so well doesn't look the same. Like all the furniture got rearranged but nothing moved. Like your home was relocated to the twilight zone. Not cool. Neither are these people who are taking people off meds that work and handing out garbage like this to save their own skin."

Knight2000 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "It took away my ability to sleep. I didn’t notice anything more."

Trichlie (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2018

"Age: 25 Wieght: 305lbs Height: 6'2" Reason for taking: anxiety & depression Dosage: two 10mg tablets twice a day Side effects: (mild) racing thoughts, (mild) cluster headache, (mild) fuziness Upsides: This drug does in fact amplify the effects of other drugs. I also exercise daily with an occasional day off and I feel incredibly good mentally while doing the exercises. It is uplifting (very lightly) somewhat similar to how an antidepressant makes you feel without as much zombie effect and not as happy. You have clear thoughts (though some might have racing) and are able to be yourself. I get great sleep and the dreams are good too. Recommendations: three a day at a lower dose, take last dose 8-10 hours before needing to be up the next day."

MindEracer December 31, 2017

"I took my first dose 0.5mg right before bed and I knew right away it wasn’t for me. I felt terrible. My doctor told me I shouldn’t have any side affects from this med and it was a lie. I felt sick instantly.. throwing up..lightheadness..pressure in my chest and I couldn’t sleep. I had really high hopes for this medication. I can’t seem to find what’s right for me. Maybe I’m just a little sensitive to anxiety medicine... because everything I take for anxiety just makes me feel terrible. I mean everything!!! Hopefully I find something that works for me soon."

YRR December 19, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have been suffering from SEVERE anxiety all of my life. It was debilitating for me, people around would never know I was experiencing it because I would make myself losing and look happy, when really I was full of anxious energy and worry. I worried about EVERYTHING. Death mostly. It was obsessive. I never wanted try medicine so I just kept dealing with it. Recently, it peaked to the point I could no longer handle it. After researching medications I decided to try BuSpar, specifically for anxiety. I know most do not see the benefits for at least 2 weeks, however, I’m on day two and I feel “normal”. I have never felt normalcy ever in my life. But I finally feel free of anxIety. I felt dizziness upon the first dose, nothing else yet."

AC WOOT December 15, 2017

"Began taking a small dose of Buspirone in Feb. Had dizziness, headache, feeling nervous & excitable, and mostly feeling sleepy. Side effects have gone away. Did help with my anxiety. Caused a few days of jitters when I got off. Now I take 1/2 a dose when I feel anxious or know I am going to be in a situation I will not be comfortable (lots of people, etc.) If I take half a dose for only a few days I only get the jitters for a few hours when I go off. Really like this drug!"

CJSomeone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 14, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was prescribed Buspirone in October of this year to help with anxiety and a very fast heart beat. When I originally went to see my doctor the very first time my heart rate was 116. Two weeks later, and two weeks after starting Buspirone, my heart rate was 86. It now seems to fluctuate between 98 - 74. The first few weeks were miserable and the first week was the worst. I actually ended up quitting on day 2 because of the dizziness and restarted a week later. When I restarted the symptoms weren't as bad. I still get dizzy sometimes but my doctor said it's most likely because my heart is slowing down."

extraminty (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2017

"pros: significant decrease in GAD and social anxiety, easier to reach orgasm, less paranoia, felt more "normal" cons: no motivation to finish day to day activities, made me irritable, gave me anxiety when thinking about how to reach future goals because it prevented me from pushing myself to take the necessary steps to achieve the things I want. It was costly without insurance, & even though it relieved a lot of my social anxiety I feel it's prevented me from being as social as I used to be, even with the anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2017

"I've been on buspirone(buspar) for a year. It took about a month for me to start noticing the effects. It definitely helped my anxiety and paranoia drastically, and I was able to be more social without always worrying what others were thinking about me vice versa, however I really think it affected my motivation to get things done. This past year, I've worked the least amount of days possible and have found it hard to make a to do list everyday, let alone get a majority of the tasks done, even with my adderall. I ran out of buspirone a couple days ago though, and I've noticed my anxiety is slowly coming back, but I've gotten more accomplished in the past few days than I have in the last month. unfortunate I can't have best of both worlds."

CeeH (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2017

"Hi, I have been on buspirone for now 3 weeks and I am amazed at how well this medication works so far for me. I have strong generalized anxiety but manifest mainly psychologicaly. I take 25mg per day. On the positive side so far: I have way better concentration since I'm worrying a lot less than I used to, I have more mental energy, more productive at work and overall way more relax. I used to cancel all my plans last minute because I was stressing out and now I feel relaxed enough to go on with my plans which makes me feel more happy and confident. On the negative side so far: I felt some dizziness after taking the doses. I am now trying to take more of the dosage before going to sleep instead of early in the morning. Cheers everyone"

Erik11 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "Been on Buspar 6 weeks & 1 day today. Trying to stay the course & not give up till 8 weeks. On 15mg (3x /day) & titrated my way up over the last 6 wks. Tried 20mg but felt like I took speed & my extremities had very uncomfortable tingling. Even at 6 wks when I take my 5mg dose my heart still races & I get dizzy & feel some heightened anxiety about an hour after taking it. Lasts about an hour. I also have some left leg thigh pain now. I’ve read so much on this drug & it’s hard to know if you should go up or down in dose to get the right level for your body. My pDoc doesn’t seem to know much more than I do. In those 6 wks I’ve only had a few hours out of 2 non-consecutive days of anxiety/fear relief. I’ll write another review at 8 wks"

Kanina (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started Buspar 2 months ago and at first I did have the side effects for the first 3 weeks, but was given anti nausea med and reduced the nausea. Have lost 12 pounds and have kept it off. Eating a little as no changes in what I eat. No sweets. And that makes me happy. And no more anxiety"

cschupp2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

"I’ve found Buspar to be fairly effective helping control health-related anxiety. Buspar has helped tremendously. Two very important things: First, it took probably two weeks to really kick in. Second, the correct dosage was critical. The doctor initially started me on 15mg per day. While it helped, I was still having days. We bumped it to 20 mg, and it has made a world of difference. We gradually increased the dosage to 30 mg, but my arms began aching with no significant improvement, so we went back to 20 mg. My morning dose still makes me lightheaded for a bit, but I’m better able cope with my anxiety."

Rusty Venture (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been begging for years to take an anti anxiety medication. I was initially diagnosed with depression & anxiety. My neurologist increased my Effexor from 75mg to 150mg/day to treat the numbness and tingling in my feet due to diabetes. I became manic with my driving and spending habits. I was then re-diagnosed as being bipolar. I went years without anxiety medication and had several trips to the hospital with anxiety attacks that felt more like heart attacks. I was put on Buspar and took my first dose last night. This morning I couldn't find my wig. I ended up late to work in hopes of locating it. It's not where I left it and I wonder if I was sleep walking. Anyone experience anything similar?"

Newbie Girl October 23, 2017

"Just started Buspirone 10mg twice a day. For years I have been on Celexa, Bupropion, and Clonazepam. Those 3 worked for me, but my doc suggests instead of taking clonazepam daily, I should try Buspirone for long term use, & clonazepam for when my panic attacks are truly out of control. So far the drug combination has had no major negative interactions. I take the Buspirone with food. The first 2 days in & I had pretty bad headaches, about 2 weeks in now & tonight I'm having severe dizziness, which is making me nauseas. I'm definitely going to keep going on them though. I LOVE my clonazepam (klonopin). Its almost instant relief during an attack, but after reading about it extensively & talking with my 2 docs, I'm ready to get off of it."

LadyRisa October 20, 2017