User Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone

"I am someone who is absolutely *hyper* sensitive to medicine. My psychiatrist suggested buspirone because of the terrible side effects I've gotten from SSRIs in the past. I tried half of a 7.5mg pill in the morning and half in the evening and of course had some side effects. But these were not NEARLY as debilitating as SSRIs. Admittedly, the brain fog was difficult to deal with the first week, and I definitely got headaches. So many reviews have said to push through the side effects and you come out feeling better. I stand here 11 days end and can attest to that; I am finally feeling some positive benefits and coming out of the fog. My pounding heart and sense of impending doom is greatly reduced, and I find myself being able to focus on one thing at a time due to the reduction in racing thoughts. I hope this review helps a fellow sensitive person. Start with a tiny dose! Somehow, it feels gentler than SSRIs. I will update if anything changes."

LEH April 9, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): "I used this drug for anxiety and it did not help the anxiety but it did cause an asthma attack which I had never had before and have never had since. It was terrifying. I also experienced severe headaches."

Ted (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started taking buspar with Prozac, & it’s the perfect combination!!! I got lucky & was able to feel relief from buspar when my nurse practitioner prescribed it to me. Both Prozac & buspar changed my life & makes me feel so much better from the awful depression & anxiety! I was in such a dark place, but now I feel a lot better!"

Blondebabe (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2019

"This drug actually helped with anxiety but gave me Erectile Dysfunction :("

Mike March 21, 2019

"I take buspirone 10mg 3x daily, it works very well for me for my anxiety, and panic attacks. The doctor added this on to my Zoloft 150 mg daily. These meds work nice together. Only side effects would be dry mouth and sometimes I'm a bit more tired. It takes time to work. Give it time."

Goodytwoshoes (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): "Side effects were insomnia, not hungry, light headed and vivid horrible dreams. Took 5mg buspar in morning and at night. Never take this med I was on for 3 weeks and now off for 2 week and I am still feeling the side effects. Still uneasy about leaving my home because of side effects."

Me (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

"Took buspar for 6 days at 5mg three times a day. I stopped taking it because it made me feel 4x worse . The Medication made me feel suicidal dizzy light headed it ruined my appetite gave me insomnia and hallucinations. 7 weeks later I’m still feeling some of these symptoms! This medication has ruined my life stay away"

James (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2019

"I have been depressed with anxiety for about 11 years now. My doctors have tried everything but nothing touched my depression or anxiety. I was also in counselling for about 10 years too so it seemed like I was in this deep pit for good. Then my psychiatrist asked me if I would consider trying Buspar. I said “sure” and I’ve now been on it for 2 weeks. A couple days ago, I woke up feeling different. I didn’t wake up to this dread and worry about everything and nothing. I was feeling very grateful for my family (I love my husband and children more than anything in this world but depression kept me from really enjoying them) and all I could think about were the good things in my life. That hasn’t happened for over a decade. I even went out grocery shopping for the first time in over 4 years and enjoyed it! I took off a point for the headaches I’ve been getting since going on Buspar. They’re nasty headaches but I hope they get better as time goes on."

DaniH (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): "Buspar was a missing puzzle piece for me. I take it with Prozac and between the two, it has worked wonders. I highly recommend it with an antidepressant."

BPD (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2019

"I was 39 years old and started feeling anxiety and uneasy throughout my day. I dealt with it for 4 months hoping it would go away. Finally got in to talk with a doctor and was prescribed Buspar. It has changed my life back and I feel normal again. I don’t deal with depression, my problem was anxiety. It has helped me."

Bradshaw (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2019

"It takes time. And you have to take it at the same time to offset the side effects. I’m happier. I giggle out loud. Life is good."

Anonymous February 2, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): "Because of trouble been prescribe klonopin from doctors, I decide to wean out this medicine. I was 1.5 mg daily for 25 years and took me 6 months to get it out from my system. My new doctor prescribed buspar in low dose first and then 10 mg x 3 daily. 2 months before I finished Klonopin , all my troubles come back with vengeance. I developed tinnitus , my voice was weak and slurred. Buspar gave me very bad dizziness, bad balance ,heaviness on upper trunk and my legs. I was on buspar for 2 months and I put up with these horrible side effects hoping that time will make go away. I decided to go back to klonopin and after 2 days I was a new man , I also take Zoloft . I’m not saying that all my problems are over but at list I can go by and have my daily walks with no problems. Buspar works for most but not for me. Good luck guys. "

Jack (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): "I had been taking Effexor and Buspar through the VA along with Clonazepam. I told doc I'd like to get off the Benzos, so I was left with Effexor. Recently I ran out of the Effexor and if you know anything about the VA, they make you come back in every time your refills run out. Even after you've been on it for years. Needless to say, I'm sick of the run-around garbage and bad service that is what veterans deal with. Ended the Effexor. Buspar made me sweat like a pig especially at night in bed. I quit it cold turkey and I'm not looking back. The only thing I take is blood pressure meds. The VA will shove anything big pharma approves of down your throat. I say quit it all . Your life will be much happier, cheaper, and cleaner."

Aj January 20, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): "My new Dr. wanted me off Xanax .05 twice a day and to take Buspirone instead. I have been on anti depressant Effexor for 14 years. I am on Gabepentian for severe sciatica and have Liver Chirrosis. So I have to be careful what I take. My medication was working great for me and then I started on Buspirone and in two days I became aggressive and then also felt buzzed and felt no way could I get behind the wheel of a car. This was a bad drug for me. Here the Dr. is against xanax which I take for anxiety .05 2x a day and it keeps me calm without feeling any dizziness etc and puts me on Buspirone which made my head feel drunk. I am recovered alcoholic for 5 years and this drug does not work for me at all. If it is used for drug addictions I can see why. It makes you feel high. I did not like the feeling or the headache I got the next day. I am going back to Dr."

trailblazer January 19, 2019

"I just started to take the medication and I am having some side effects . I am taking 15 mg twice a day. I will keep you posted on how it works. All the comments on here have helped me to stay with this medication in anticipation of good results"

Tejo (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started taking Buspar 12/13/2018. 10mg twice daily, one at bedtime, along with a host of other medications including Klonopin for a chronic nerve pain condition , Percocet for arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and a ton of other stuff, Topimax for migraines and Trigeminial Neuralgia, a muscle relaxer, an antihistamine for my allergies and for insomnia and I don’t want to forget the stool softeners of course ! Well I felt like I was gonna loose my mind AGAIN ! My skin feels like bugs are crawling all over me, my scalp is a mess with scabs from scratching it . My TN. Is off the charts again and I can’t leave the house I’m so full of anxiety . I have a meltdown at 4:00 every day followed by 2-3 unscheduled every hour til I go to sleep. I can’t stand the face pain but my doc tells me not to stop because it takes time to work !"

Smm (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2019

"My doctor recommended I try Buspirone out to help with my anxiety so I don't have to take my Ativan all the time. I was extremely reluctant because I don't like trying new medications and I'm terrified of feeling out of it and crazy side effects. I was prescribed 10mg once a day for a daily regimen, me being reluctant of new meds I broke it into 1/3 and took 1/3 of the 10mg for a few days, then went to 1/2 for a few days. I then tried 3/4 of a pill and did not like how it made me feel, kind of "high" and out of it. So I went back to 5mg and I've been taking it for 3 months now. It really has helped me tremendously, I haven't had to take my Ativan hardly at all, maybe twice in the past 3 months. The only side effects I have noticed is mild teeth chattering and jaw clenching. I'm also on 150mg of Zoloft, 15mg of remeron, along with the 1mg Ativan (as needed) I mentioned above. The Buspirone has dramatically decreased my every day anxieties and panic attacks by at least 75%."

Cbs810 December 12, 2018

"My Dr. Started me on this when I was going thru a hard time at work and had such racing thoughts I could not sleep. Or if I did in 2-3 hrs I was awake again. My mind still racing and now tired on top of it all! I take 5mg as needed, maybe 3X a day, it works great! At first, I may feel a little foggy in the head, but it passes quickly. It seems like I can face my day the bad issues and all without feeling tense, stressed and sweating, with out the mind racing all night. Its non-addicting and if I don't use it for a few days or lower the dose....I don't feel any worse for having changed things up. What do you have to lose? Try it, its inexpensive and give yourself some peace of mind."

Bentleys Mim (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 4, 2018

"I live in an area where there are a lot of drug addicts so they didn't want to prescribe me a benzo. I took this because my PTSD had been so out of control. I was hopeful, but slowly realized my anxiety was 100 times worse on it. I kept taking it, thinking maybe it just wasn't kicking in yet. Next thing I knew I was scared to go to the store and I felt like people were watching me when I was alone in my house. I'd check and double check my windows were closed. My vision would vibrate and I felt dizzy and constantly dehydrated with a headache. It was absolutely terrible. I weaned myself off of it because I couldn't wait for my next psych appt. Now I'm back to just taking my lamictal and I feel loads better. Did nothing for me when it came to panic attacks. I need something I can take as needed"

Anon December 4, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "this drug does not work, end of story..."

jeff (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2018

"This drug has given me my life back. When I was first prescribed this medication it was the morning after an ER visit for a intense panic attack. I was in the midst of a nervous breakdown and struggling to even leave my home. It's been roughly 2-3 months and I'm now able to function basically normally. I don't believe any drug is a miracle worker but this one truly saved my life. I added it to Lexapro in which I've been on for years and added in a ton of therapy to help give me coping skills and tools to move forward. It is a class B medication so it's safe for nursing mom's as well which is wonderful. I suggest everyone dealing with panic or anxiety give this drug a try."

D (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "Taken for: GAD, potential panic disorder Did not help me, Side effects - strong. Immediate light headedness, would need to lay down for 30 mins to an hour Slightly reduced in intensity but did not subside for me, even after 3 months. Did not effectively treat anxiety (GAD)"

Matt446 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have used Buspar for 10 yrs I take 60 mg by taking 20mg in morning 20mg in the afternoon and 20mg at bedtime. It helps me sleep and I have energy all day. My anxiety is never over a 1 on a scale of 1-10. I love this medication it goes well with my Viibryd 40mg."

Mak73 (taken for 10 years or more) November 15, 2018

"I have been taking buspirone for almost a year and a half. I was nervous to take anything stronger after coming off Ativan, and stayed just on buspirone for a year before deciding to add Pristiq. It is the perfect combo for me. Buspirone alone definitely took the edge off my daily anxiety but in high-stress situations it just wasn't enough. I was taking 25 mg daily. I now take 10mg daily, only at night, and 50 mg of Pristiq. I feel a lot more stable. My side effects are increased skin sensitivity and more vivid dreams. I did have brain fog after taking it during the day (which would last about a half-hour after I'd take it) but once I started taking Pristiq at night that stopped. I recommend trying it-- it's so safe and has so few side effects that it's an easy bet. The worst-case scenario is that it won't work, in my mind. It's also VERY cheap-- I paid less than $8 for a month's supply and I have awful insurance."

EJK November 13, 2018

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started the medication for my anxiety and bipolar. The first dose was not bad, but the second dose it took my 2 hours before I could get up, I was so dizzy and light headed. Made my panic attacks worse and felt so spaced out. I have a terrible headache that keeps coming and going."

Worried (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2018