User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

BuSpar (buspirone): "I'm taking buspar for anxiety that I'm having due to an injury. I broke my wrist about 8 weeks ago, and I am in a cast from the tip of my thumb to just below the elbow. My Dr. told me I might be in this cast for 12 weeks or significantly longer. I started having bad anxiety and panic attacks. So my family Dr. put me on buspar and zoloft for the duration of being in a cast. So far it hasn't seemed to help very much, 7.5 mg twice daily. I'm hoping that it will start helping with the anxiety. I do feel a little light headed and I'm always tried. This isn't my first broken bone or cast, but this is the first time I've ever experienced anxiety."

Alex 5000 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have debilitating anxiety which keeps me from leaving the house many days. Before, I would cry almost daily, even when life was going better. The little things tore me apart. With the buspar... it's like I'm getting "moments" back. I still get anxious sometimes, but I have occasional periods of feeling. ... normal. Clear. Simple, natural interactions with family and friends are possible again. As time goes on, I'm experiencing more and more "moments" of real life again, or, life before anxiety. Multiple friends have told me I seem much happier. Though I don't particularly think of myself as suddenly " all sunshine and roses", I feel like I have my life back. I'm actually living again."

J.bohannon May 7, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"FAINTING SPELL. About 30 minutes after taking this, for about 15 minutes my heart would race (~135bpm?), and I would feel as if I were about to FAINT (head rush?). I would spend 15 minutes trying to remain calm, fighting the urge to collapse. I tried it twice and had the same response. Thank goodness I wasn't driving when it kicked in. My wife had a similar reaction. Seriously, please be cautious when first trying this medication."

drugs010101 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I still had anxiety. I woke up in the middle of the night, but in the morning I was dizzy till about 11. Can't be productive on this medicine!"

Keytolife (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"28 female- I was diagnosed with Bipolar, manic depressive when I was 14. I have been on an off of medication for years. When I approached my PCP for medication for my anxiety they were nervous about giving me a SSRI due to they make me manic. They tried giving me abilify but that landed me in the ER. Buspirone was my last resort. It's been about 4 weeks and what a difference. I'm enjoying my life with my kids, family, and friends again. I used to go everywhere with no problems but the past 7 months I could barely leave my house. I shut down completely. Buspirone is changing me back to the person I was. My anger has diminished. My paranoia is gone. I can go out in public without a panic attack or racing thoughts."

Jerseygirl07 April 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I am taking the buspar but it making me feel too relaxed and giving me worse anxiety. My whole body is tingly and I have a huge headache I don't have anything else that to take but I am so afraid to take it - it is Saturday I can't get a hold of my dr. I just don't what to anymore anyone have any ideas"

Kim rojas April 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started on 5 mg for anxiety caused by my OCD. I got bumped to 7.5 and within 3 days could feel some of the terrible anxiety burn I get in my upper back go away. A month went by and I had a terrible setback with depression because I could no longer could deal with my panic & OCD. Doctor bumped me to 10 mg. Same pattern occurred.... within 3 days I was feeling better. In fact, had the best day in a while. It might just be a coincidence and therapy might be helping in conjunction with, but I notice Buspar does help with my extreme anxiety, but only when I went above 5 mg. I have not noticed any side effects. I'm also taking zoloft, zyprexa 2.5, and klonipin .25. I have endured a lot with panic attacks, OCD, and depression hence all the meds."

kytrailhikers April 15, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "So, I give this 7 out of 10. I'd give it 10 out of 10, but the first week on this was really uncomfortable. I almost stopped using it. I started out at 10 mg buspar once a day and then after a week increased to 10 twice a day . The first week, I won't lie, was a doozy. My psych said that her patients either love it or hate it and it's pretty much 50/50 with little gray area. But since it's inexpensive, been around for a while, and is pretty safe, she likes that to be the first option when dealing with GAD. Fair. The first week, I was really, really dizzy. Felt a bit fuzzy in the head. kind of jumpy. I had to pull over while driving and sit down for a bit. BUT after about two weeks. Whoah. My life is changed. I'm no longer so anxious!!"

DancingPrancingBearwithAnxiety April 14, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication can be effective when used correctly. It has to be taken every day around the same time, much like the way an antidepressant works. It takes a few weeks to become effective. It is not to be taken as needed, as someone mentioned. You have to keep a steady dose of it in your system. For me, it works much better at low doses, best benefit with least side effects, when taken this way."

G Mc (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take it when I start getting overwhelmed, I don't take it every day just as needed ,works good for me , I don't like long term meds or anything that makes me weird in the head, so far I take at least 2 or 3 in a weeks time sometimes less, it calms me down to where I can function, all in all I'm ok with it, everyone is different and have different effects"

Moni53 April 11, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I'm on the fence about this medication, I used it for generalized anxiety disorder which was exacerbated after my mother passed away unexpectedly. Well I have to say, I was shaky like I was just as anxious, so I though it was the anxiety, so I stopped the medication after 6 months and I am not shaky anymore, I also feel like everything is clearer. I was on a very light dose 2.5mg three times a day. Maybe I did not take enough. So he gave me Lexapro, which I have not started, I am holding out, when I get anxious I take a half of a .25 xanax and it keeps the anxiety away. So if I was to say I don't think this medication helped very much. Maybe at a higher dose, I don't know. I am skeptical about taking anything like this."

toomuchanxiety April 6, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I been like a lab rat for many years. Have been on and off this trash Hasn't ever helped me. They (different Dr throughout years) will try this first. For one. I don't want to be over or under medicated. I understand everybody reacts differently to prescriptions or any thing they eat, drink, or put in body. Honestly for me I believe these are placebos (like a sugar or salt pill). I do not abuse any medication. I've been up to 75 MG throughout a day. I can tell you .5mg of clonazepam 3 times a day and I function pretty well. Have had Valium, xanax and felt like a zombie throughout the day. Do work with your Dr. Hopefully you have one that will listen. And offer suggestions if this doesn't work. Good luck"

The helper (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "Works well in combination with an SSRI. I stopped Buspar due to drowsiness and immediate weight gain. I experienced increased appetite and wanted to eat constantly. I was diagnosed with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder without Hyperactivity. I currently take Adderall, low dose Wellbutrin XL, and low dose Prozac. The Prozac and Wellbutrin XL assist in alleviating depressive symptoms during the winter months. Everyone is unique. Talk to your doctor; follow their advice."

Mattican April 4, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this medication for several months for anxiety and it did nothing to help at all. In fact my anxiety got worse."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "Cannot see any difference in depression"

gub March 26, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "Didn't do anything but make me tired.. started at 15mg and went all the way up to 60mg with no improvement."

ChrisPBacon (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "I think buspar is working really well for me.. I also take zoloft and its a great combination so far. I do get a little dizzy but my anxiety was so bad that I'd rather be a little dizzy than anxious.."

Mmjr (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "Have had anxiety for many years, have tried numerous meds and none worked for long. Because of numerous surgeries I have a high drug tolerance and sometimes weird reactions. After taking Cymbalta for 3 years the excessive sweating just became too much, I am now on Lexapro and was using Clonazapan when an attack would start,concerned about addiction to Clonazapan my doctor suggested Buspar. I started with 7.5 twice a day did not feel much until starting the third week then 10mg 3xs a day. Did have side effects but was encouraged to wait 4wks, so glad I did. 1st time in years and I mean years, I feel like the old me, sleep through the night, no side effects. I encourage you to wait and see before you give up on it, for me well worth it."

Finally Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2017

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Not sure about this one yet. I have been on it for only five days now and it's a roller coaster ride. Sometimes I feel okay and other times I feel like I'm going crazy. My doctor prescribed me to take 15mg twice daily which I think was way too much to start out with. I literally felt like I was going to lose my mind because of the thoughts I was having. I also think this has increased my depression and feeling of isolation. I know that this medication takes time to work in your system and that it can make symptoms worse while it is working so I'm going to try and ride it out a little longer. I've cut my dosage in half to 7.5 twice daily and I'm going to see if that helps."

User1524 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Today is the THIRD day I've been on it and haven't taken todays dose YET.. . The first day I took it I felt a little bit weird in my brain but felt great, the foggyness was gone. Second day, I hadn't the chance to take it earlier in the day than before, felt weird in my brain for the first hour then I felt like a million bucks, when I took it for the second time that day, I was almost SURE it was 8 hours later, iIfelt like I was going to die.. trembling, dizzy, nauseous. Everything was wrong.. then after a couple hours I felt like a million bucks... it just makes me suffer soooo bad for the first hour or two then it's GREAT. So I was wondering if yesterday I took my doses 2 close together yesterday? I just am scared that I'm gonna end up having the first seizure of my life or something...."

I have bipolar disorder w/ GAD (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking about 4 weeks ago. I have bad anxiety that had manifested into depression. Doctor was trying me on lamictal, To help with my severe mood swings, and anxiety. I was on it for 2 months, I take this medication twice day. I notice I have bouts of being really talkative. Sleep is good, although I take Ambien. My over all mood has done a 180, anxiety level is maybe a 1-2. I've noticed a decrease in my appetite, not as hungry . Has not affected my energy level. I work out 5 days a week. My libido has increased, that may be from just being in a better mood."

Nija February 26, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "Have been on Buspar for a few months, and I like it a lot! It has made severe and paralyzing anxiety lift to a manageable level, even while taking a low dosage of 10 mg daily. My Dr. told me that I can increase the dosage, since in taking so little it doesn't rid me of anxiety completely (no med can). But I noticed that when I upped my dose my appetite came back more than I would have liked. Essentially, I think it works to strengthen my SSRI (sertraline); and I did have dizziness when I first started and felt pretty bad, but that's common for anti-anxieties and usually goes away as your body gets used to it. I do still find however after I take my morning dose (usually) with coffee I do feel a bit woozy but it usually wears off quickly."

soybeant February 24, 2017

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Buspar* Took 5 MG at 10:00 pm and stayed up until 2 am the night before work (due to being very mentally hyper and aware). Mouth and eyes very dry the next day.  Felt very weird all day the next day. Very hyper.  Wanted to continuously talk.  Felt wired but yet didn't really want to move.  Hard to function at work, but yet was in good mood (almost felt drunk). Seemed like I was slurring(possibly from dry mouth?)"

AuntBetty February 24, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been titrating up on Buspar after going off of Xanax last year and then starting up with 5mg fluoxetine and 10mg doxepin. So far, this is working far more gently than the xanax. I don't have a zap of relief following by impending panic attacks within hours. I am much more level. I am having side effects of nausea, dizziness, and light-headedness for a few days after each increase in dosage. I'm up to 20mg 3x a day and I'm supposed to sit tight here so I'm hoping to be done with the side effects soon and get into a stable state. I had a ton of problems with withdrawal from the benzos so I don't want to go back to them; buspirone has been a great alternative so far. My anxiety is so bad that I'd rather be dizzy and nauseated than anxious"

OCPD & Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone): "This stuff is HORRIBLE. Made me very irritated/jumpy/even more anxious. Felt like my mind was racing...felt even more overwhelmed. This is the worst stuff I've been on yet..I had to stop taking it because I couldn't even function right. This stuff is really, really bad.. doc put me on Lexapro today hopefully that helps!!"

AmberLP February 21, 2017