User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

"I have worked in the pharmacy going on 22 years. I hate taking medicine! However Buspar saved my life. I am prescribed Buspar 10: 1 tab twice daily (12 hours apart). I take it for anxiety (Severe chest pain, worry wart). I have experienced these chest pains that started in my late teens. As I got older, the chest pains got worse, to the point it would take my breath away. I played with the dose & after 2 years...I only take 1 tab at bedtime. Once in a blue moon I will take a morning dose if my chest starts to feel heavy. If you have doubts or concerns, please talk to your pharmacist. A dr sees only his patience, a pharmacist sees ALL patients from every walk of life. I have also lost weight because now I sleep through the night. Down 12 lbs"

Crisdmccoyyahoo.com September 16, 2016

"I am taking SSRI to help me deal w my job, and daily life stressors. I switched from Zoloft to buspar approximately 3 weeks ago, due to side effects. I have sleep issues due to being a night shift person, and probably anxiety, so I'm on Ambien as well. Lately, I'm having worse sleep problems, and having weird dreams. I've read, Buspar can cause insomnia. Planning on taking my dose all at once during my waking hours. Anyone taking it just once a day? And what's your experience. Thank you."

Ecflo54 September 13, 2016

"My experience with buspirone is that it gave me horrible headaches, but on the occasions I don't get a headache, I REALLY like the way bispirone makes me feel- chill. I was on Zoloft & lexapro and all those did for me was make me nauseated. W/ buspirone, iwould break the tablet into .5 & sometimes go up to 15, Even with food and water intake. Anyone else whose had this experience w/ buspirone, please share your story whether it's similar or different- would love the feedback. & anyone with the same head ache side affects, how do you go with treating that? Also, If you've had success with taking buspirone & Xanax together or within the same day, please advise Xo"

Katel (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "You have to take this for about a month before you will notice a difference in your anxiety. Please don't take anyone else's medications. It's illegal and unsafe. Work closely with your MD to find the dose that's right for you and it can help a lot. I'm an ER nurse. It worked for me. Peace!"

LessStressed (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "Buspar has been a godsend for me. First, was on 10mgs twice a day. Now I'm on 15mgs twice a day. No side effects and I've had no need for benzos since. On one year now."

Novelista (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "It didn't help at all with the panic attacks and actually made my anxiety worse. The first few weeks it would just put me to sleep. After four weeks I became very depressed and had suicidal thoughts constantly throughout the day. It gave me horrible headaches, it made me really dizzy all the time and I felt lightheaded and nauseous often. After four weeks I could not sleep at all and my anxiety increased along with the panic attacks. I don't recommend this medicine for anyone who has suffered PTSD or who has had high anxiety levels for a long time. It just makes things worse. After five weeks I stopped taking this medication I could no longer handle the side effects."

Stillneedhelp (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

"I have never written a drug review but am now in hope of helping those who feel as apprehensive as I do about meds. I suffer from anxiety and was prescribed Buspar and out of fear didn't try it for 4 mos. By request I was given the lowest dose, 5 mg BID. One day I got up the nerve to try it after speaking with 2 pharmacist getting the ok to safely break it down. I broke it into eights, which was around 62mg, not enough to do anything but they were sympathetic to my reluctance, I went up an 8th every couple of days. I am now on 7.5 BID. I had no side effects minus slight tiredness, I attribute the easy transition to slowly going on it. I have been on it 3 weeks now, I can't tell a huge difference so I am hoping more time is what in needed."

Doesnotlikemeds September 6, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was prescribed Buspar for anxiety. If I knew that Buspar had the side effects that I got, I would never drink it. I drank it for 4 days only and it almost got me killed. I started having panic attacks, I could hardly breath, I had electric shocks, brain zaps, horrible medicine. I quit right away. Little I knew that quitting even after 4 days would cause side effects. I could not sleep for 2 weeks afterwards, I thought I was dying. Horrible medicine. I will never drink any anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medicin that is not natural!!!!"

Nadia GEO September 2, 2016

"I started 10mg today and I feel so loopy, my mouth is very dry, and kind of anxious and my head is hurting after 1 dose. I don't know if I will take a 2nd dose. I was prescribed 10mg 2x day."

Kconrad1112 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2016

"I've been on this for two weeks. I went to my doctor because I was experiencing anxiety and worry way to often, for too long. I tried to manage it on my own, but the feelings persisted. I made an appointment for a psych, but the wait was three months. I assumed I had to go to a psych for medication management but a friend told me my doctor could prescribe something. My doctor gave me a script for 7.5 mg twice a day. Soon after, the constant knot in my stomach and consistent worry subsided. I see that people say it takes a while for this to work, but I feel like I had pretty quick results. I have had no side effects on this med thus far."

2885Lola August 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I was recently prescribed Cymbalta for depression. It helped but I felt very jittery and anxious on it. My doctor added Buspar and now I feel very much calmer and in control. I take 30 mgs twice a day."

Dan9447 August 21, 2016

"I just started taking buspirone today and I hate it, my heart feels like it's going to explode my leg won't stop shaking I feel even more antsy my stomach feels bloated my mouth would open a little bit I believe it even affects my mood because I ended up having 0 tolerance for anything. I would not recommend this medicine to anyone and I just started it today. It's 10mg twice a day I will not continue taking this no matter what the doctor says."

Necee (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "Anxiety was eating me alive! Finally I went to my Dr to ask for help. I started with 7.5 mg twice a day and she worked me up to 15mg twice a day. I feel so much better! I'm sleeping like a log now because anxiety is not keeping me awake or waking me up. I do feel hot and a little shaky about 20 minutes after I take it but it don't last very long, maybe 30 minutes. I'm also losing some much needed weight. Probably because I'm not eating at night since I'm actually sleeping through the night for the first time in my life! This stuff changed my life for the better!"

Carolyn Riggs August 20, 2016

"I've only taken buspar 7.5 for 2 days now, I've been prescribed 7.5 2x day, but until the side effects go away, I'm not about to take 2 a day. Within 20 minutes or so after taking (with food), my head starts whooshing and I'm very dizzy (almost feel drunk/high). It lasts about an hour then I feel better. Is this someone else has experienced? Is it something that will go away? Is the side effect an allergy to the drug? Basically, I'm taking to get rid of anxiety/ panic attacks and help me to need less xanax. With these side effects I'll need MORE xanax!! Lol "

Dizziness, head whooshing (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have been taking buspar for 4 months now and it has helped pretty well for my anxiety. I take 3 10mg a day. I mostly like it because it helps with the extra anxiety and slight depression i get from the come down off of my adderall i take for adhd every day too. The only side effects I've had from the buspar has been nausea but as long as i eat a little bit of food whenever i take them it subsides that pretty well so i would recommend it to anyone with the same situation."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

"I just started taking this medication a few days ago, I will write an update later as I give it more time. Thus far my side effects have been a slight numbing of my mouth, I am extremely sensitive to medication and this has happened with other meds I have taken so I am not alarmed by this. I am taking it with food and I do feel a bit of slight nausea and tiredness about an hour after taking it, I also feel a bit spaced but I am hoping these will subside over time. It isn't anything unmanageable at this time, I am on a very low dose 2.5 mg BID, it isn't what the doctor prescribed but after talking with my pharmacist about my sensitivity to meds he said I could build up to the dose. I was prescribed 5 mg BID to increase if needed."

Crazyaboutcats August 18, 2016

"my experience was very positive"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone): "I have taken buspar for 5 months. Prescribed max dose of 15mg 4x/day. It took a couple weeks to actually notice the difference. I don't feel like a zombie after taking it. I really just came to the realization one day while driving to work, an activity that used to leave me recovering from an anxiety attack, was suddenly a very simple task. My social anxiety, much improved. It's very subtle, but after sticking with it, I can look back and I see that it changed my life. It does make me sleepy, in a walking around functioning while yawning kind of way and I get a lot of headaches. The good definitely outweighs The bad. I can take a lower dosage on easy days and still have a positive outcome. also take 150mg of Zoloft and 25 mg Wellbutrin"

HalfPint416 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2016

"I have been on this drug for about 9 days now. I started off with a pill twice a day for a week and now I'm taking it 3 times a day. Honestly my anxiety is still here full force. I depend on my girlfriend to go with me everywhere but now I have to get used to her being gone so now I've been getting more anxiety trying to go out and do stuff on my own. I just want to be happy and be able to go run my errands. Buspirone didn't even touch my anxiety. I became very angry and irritable and it's starting fights between me and my girlfriend. She had to leave me by myself today because my anger was stressing her out. I've developed an "I don't care" attitude and it has freaked me out. I'm done taking this drug. Everyone is different but be cautious."

Sarzself14 August 13, 2016

"I had a lot of stomach issues - IBS-D. I suspected it might be due to anxiety. Buspirone has made a huge difference. I can live a normal life without being in fear of the stomach issues coming up at the most inconvenient times. I feel comfortable eating out and going to people's houses. I used to take four immodium a day to control the stomach issues. Now, I rarely take it. Buspirone also had a very gradual effect...things kept getting better. I had to recently reduce the dose a bit as I'd get dizzy after taking it but it still works. Doctors had insisted that I try antidepressants first. The side effects (several brands and low doses) were awful and the medications didn't help."

Great! August 13, 2016

"Ive been on Buspar for about 6 months or so for anxiety. I first started off taking 5 mg 2 times a day. Then went to 10 mg 2 times a day. Lately I have a I do not care attitude! This is not me. I see my doctor tomorrow. I think I would rather be on the lower dose and still have some anxiety and care....rather than the I do not care attitude"

Patty D. August 4, 2016

"This is scary. Doctor put me on this 3 weeks ago. Made my depression horrible. Im extremly mean to my 2 year old. I have passed out twice one of which i crashed my car in a field! I have dry mouth, dizzyness, shaking, my body will jerk. I have a rash on my neck, constipation, insomnia. Im exhausted but just cant sleep. And that's all i want is to sleep!!! And ive probably eaten a handful of pretzles in the last week. I feel so sick all the time :( and im on a low dose!"

Mialynne121313 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

"I personally don't think it works that great however, I also take prozac and the buspar was prescribed to "boost" the prozac. Sorry to say but personally, I didn't notice a difference, I wish they would have just boosted up my Prozac instead. Also, I take 3 7.5 mgs a day of boat and 60 mg of prozac"

SheenaB (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

"I take 10mg twice a day, with food. Pamphlet says to take either with or without food, but be consistent. Only frequent side effect is tiredness, but I was always tired anyway. Infrequently I will get dizzy and nauseated for about 40 minutes after taking depending on how much caffeine I have had or how long after a meal I wait to take it. I noticed results after the first few doses, though I was warned that it may take longer. My mood has noticeably improved as well as my ability to handle day-to-day tasks like talking on the phone. I still have situational based anxiety, but that is more manageable than general anxiety. I have noticed that if I am a few hours late for a dose I get irritable for the next few doses."

xStarCyx (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2016

"I like that it calms me down but I'm sleepy all day. I don't like feeling sleepy, I have things to do. It does help me get a great nights sleep. I sleep like a rock but wake up still feeling drowsy. So anyway- may not take it anymore unless its at night from time to time since it works rather quickly with for me. Yawwnnnn!!! AC"

AGCP July 13, 2016