User Reviews for Buspirone

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Buspirone.

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Buspirone to treat Anxiety

BuSpar (buspirone): "I started Buspar 2 months ago and at first I did have the side effects for the first 3 weeks, but was given anti nausea med and reduced the nausea. Have lost 12 pounds and have kept it off. Eating a little as no changes in what I eat. No sweets. And that makes me happy. And no more anxiety"

cschupp2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve found Buspar to be fairly effective helping control health-related anxiety. Buspar has helped tremendously. Two very important things: First, it took probably two weeks to really kick in. Second, the correct dosage was critical. The doctor initially started me on 15mg per day. While it helped, I was still having days. We bumped it to 20 mg, and it has made a world of difference. We gradually increased the dosage to 30 mg, but my arms began aching with no significant improvement, so we went back to 20 mg. My morning dose still makes me lightheaded for a bit, but I’m better able cope with my anxiety."

Rusty Venture (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been begging for years to take an anti anxiety medication. I was initially diagnosed with depression & anxiety. My neurologist increased my Effexor from 75mg to 150mg/day to treat the numbness and tingling in my feet due to diabetes. I became manic with my driving and spending habits. I was then re-diagnosed as being bipolar. I went years without anxiety medication and had several trips to the hospital with anxiety attacks that felt more like heart attacks. I was put on Buspar and took my first dose last night. This morning I couldn't find my wig. I ended up late to work in hopes of locating it. It's not where I left it and I wonder if I was sleep walking. Anyone experience anything similar?"

Newbie Girl October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just started Buspirone 10mg twice a day. For years I have been on Celexa, Bupropion, and Clonazepam. Those 3 worked for me, but my doc suggests instead of taking clonazepam daily, I should try Buspirone for long term use, & clonazepam for when my panic attacks are truly out of control. So far the drug combination has had no major negative interactions. I take the Buspirone with food. The first 2 days in & I had pretty bad headaches, about 2 weeks in now & tonight I'm having severe dizziness, which is making me nauseas. I'm definitely going to keep going on them though. I LOVE my clonazepam (klonopin). Its almost instant relief during an attack, but after reading about it extensively & talking with my 2 docs, I'm ready to get off of it."

LadyRisa October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is my second day on buspar 5mg once a day. My Provider’s (psych) instructions were 5mg 3x day, but she went out of town, so I called the pharmacy asking other questions and I was told to start with 1 a day, then after 5d to move to twice a day, then a few days later go to full dose of 3x.day. I have anxiety and panic disorder. I’m also currently on 15 mg of mirtazapine and I’m slowly weaning off it (1/10th the dose every 45d). Mirtazapine NEVER helped me but made me feel much much worse. Evil POS drug. What I found interesting is an hour after the first dose of Buspar yesterday I felt the fear and anxiety go away, nearly completely. It was amazing. But today after taking it i feel the same as I did before ever taking it. "

Kanina October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The medication allows one to become calm, if they allow it to work. You will need time to get used to how it affects you in the long run. It will make you sleepy."

beebutler (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I had high hopes that this would help my anxiety but it seems like it made my anxiety a lot worse. I now experience bad nausea and trembling which didn't happen before. I also had low appetite and more severe anxiety attacks. I took 15mg twice a day for six weeks. Thankfully it doesn't have withdrawal effects but unfortunately it didn't work for me."

Moni89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking buspirone 5mg 3x a daily due to having severe anxiety I've been on it for a few days now and I noticed it's effectiveness the very first day!! I did have a terrible headache the first day but none since then. It definitely helps keep me calm and I'm able to function without an attack, I was a little skeptical at first looking at all the negative reviews but it actually has done wonders for me in the few days I've been on it."

Shy4000 October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I've been on Buspar for two years. The drug does not 'kick in' quickly, but once it does start working, one notices a nice, quiet calm. (It started working for me after ~ 30 days. )It's nothing like the benzodiazepines (thank goodness) and does not make me feel like a zombie with memory problems like Clonazepam (Klonopin) or Valium, etc. I use this in conjunction with Cymbalta and this combination helps me with both anxiety and depression. The only side effect I notice is that I might sweat a bit more. It is non-addictive, but as with any drug used long-term, one become physically dependent upon Buspar and one should follow a withdrawal schedule formulated by your PCP."

Zfrost October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this medication for anxiety and man do I regret it. I have only taken this medication for one day and cannot stop vomiting. I have the sweats, my skin is clammy, I'm very dizzy, I am very weak. I have tried eating chicken noodle soup and sipping on a Powerade and I can already feel that wanting to come back up! No way will I continue this! It may work for some but I can't even make it past day one..."

Mekjohn October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I augmented my SSRI Lexapro with BuSpar to help bring my initial startup anxiety down the first few weeks of starting an SSRI. I must be one of the lucky people who found BuSpar to be effective because it did greatly relieve my anxiety, especially tapering up my dosage over a few weeks time. I only had to take one Xanax over the period of a month when starting up my SSRI thanks to BuSpar."

OCD/Anxiety Sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "Overall- waste of money long term because it only works for a few weeks. Exercise and meditation will be more beneficial. However, if you're doing exposure therapy in addition to, those few weeks the medicine is working may help you overcome the initial hurdle. Initial side effects were dizziness and terrible fatigue. Only lasted first 3-4 days, then you could feel the medicine start working. Buspar only worked for two weeks though. Regardless, I took it 4-5 months while still having regular anxiety attacks. I started tapering off last week, and thankfully no withdrawal symptoms (not like Xanax). That is at least a plus."

AmandaCF (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "My doctor prescribed Buspar 5mg 3x daily as I eased off Effexor. The Effexor worked great except for the sexual side affects and the hardcore addiction. I have nothing good to say about Buspar. I thought I was losing my mind. Felt severely unbalanced. Nauseated. Confused. Thirsty. Insomnia. You name it! My endocrinologist thought I might be diabetic because of family history. No, it was all the Buspar. Why should something that is suppose to help generalised anxiety make you feel like you are losing it? I ended up slowly getting off of Effexor and pitching the Buspar. I need something for generalised anxiety but I am scared of another bad trip."

SharonSteelMagnolia September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I started having severe anxiety and panic attacks years ago I had a doctor who had no difficulty shoving me on Xanax and Klonopin. I was completely unaware how addictive and awful these drugs were. I weaned myself of the drugs after years of taking them. After withdrawal I did fine. About a year ago my anxiety and panic attacks returned and I was going to a different doctor. She tried me on Zoloft first and very sparingly gave me Xanax for those "I'm going to die moments". After about 3 months the Zoloft wasn't helping much without the occasional Xanax kick so she doubled the Zoloft and I about crawled out of my skin. She asked me if I want to try Buspiron. No anxiety and sleeping like a baby."

Lihp (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "Took buspirone for 2 days. It definitely helped me stay calm, but made me drowsy during the day and gave me the worst insomnia I've ever experienced at night. I know trialling it 2 days is nothing for a med, but I have a family and a demanding job where I cannot afford to not get at least a couple hours of sleep a day. The severe insomnia alone is enough for me to stop taking it. I also got insomnia from the two antidepressants I took (generic Paxil and Zoloft), so I am very sensitive to meds. I will say this though, it did seem to keep my calm and better able to focus. It works in those terms. I would recommend anyone who hasn't had success using anti depressants to try buspar/buspirone for anxiety. It just might be your golden ticket."

Chris0000 September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Effective. Regular constant use led to a solid stable benefit. The drug is mild, unnoticable but with time you realize something has changed for the better. Positive effect on libido. Improved concentration, mood, curiousity, rest."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking Buspar 4 or 5 days 4x day 30 mgs all toll. It didn't work very well, added 0.5mg Klonopin, told to break pill in 1/2 take 2x day. Last night took buspar at bedtime woke up after 3 hrs shaking panic attack. I took xanax hadn't picked up Klonopin yet. I waited 2 hr took buspar. Still no help 1 hr later panic attack off the charts. Why I'm I taking Buspar it only lasts maybe 3 hrs or so. I'm 72 why can't he just prescribe xanax which helps me. I'm confused what these drs are thinking. He said he wants to see me in a month."

buckminster September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "After years of klonopin/Xanax & zolft, MY so-called Dr switches me to Buspar& Lexapro. This is the most worthless bunch of junk medicine ever created. It just sent me into benzo withdrawals !!! Horrible ones that last days. I have to find another Dr that had mercy on me and put me back on Xanax."

Dstroyr (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started 3wks. ago, have stayed on it but awful side effects, can't get through to my doctor without having an even greater Anxiety Attack than I'm already having. This medication Goes right up on the Top Worse Self for Bad Medications I have been on. Shaking inside, dry chalky mouth & throat, upset stomach, vomiting, nervousness & even more emotional than normal (if that's possible). It feels like everything that's wrong with me has been intensified!"

HondaRonda (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is great!! I've been suffering severe anxiety for three years now, and I finally decided to get on some medication for it. Zoloft didn't work for me, and made me feel horrible, so we tried buspar next. The only side effects I got was slight dizziness and feeling fuzzy for the first three days and then I was fine. I'm definitely way less anxious now, and it was great. I suggest giving it a try if its just anxiety and not depression, cause that's what things like Zoloft focus on."

A very anxious person (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been fighting High BP and anxiety for 11 year with no relief. Tried every class of BP meds and SSIR meds. Its early yet but my BP is down from 170/100 to 130/80. I just switched to Buspar 10 mg twice a say, Nifedipine 30 mg and 0.5 mg clonazepam. I'm praying this is the magic bullet. Don't give up!"

male 56 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Feel very uncomfortable, shaking, feels like pulses/shocks through my body, doesn't help what my #worthlessDoctor said it would."

Cmpicsnvids (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking 5mg twice a day for the last 4 days, stopped taking it today. It was like I had drank 6 Redbulls. Jittery, sweating, dizzy, nauseous, twitching. The Welbutrin I take is awesome, not a single side effect, but needed something more for some anxiety. But I had to stop taking this, just waaaay to gnarly even for a bigger guy like me."

James Morgan (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone): "I love this drug! I started 4 yrs ago when I was just starting recovery from sex addiction and childhood sexual abuse and trauma, and I started out on just 5 mg/day. Within a week, I noticed my anxiety significantly lessen. Within 3 weeks, I was able to stop compulsively having sex with a new guy every week. It helped me get my life back on track, and about 9 months later, I finally started taking it as prescribed (5mg twice per day,) and the difference was even more significant. I slept better, had fewer racing thoughts, and I stopped obsessing about my therapist as much. It didn't cause any weight gain and had virtually no side effects after the initial blurry vision for the first few days. Highly recommend Buspar!"

OliviaBat July 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this for 2 days so far. 7.5mg twice a day. Every time I take this, I feel weak, shaky, and like I need to lay down because I think I'm going to faint. I've notice a slight change in my worries so far but only because nothing major has happened. I hope the side effects go away because I have horrible anxiety and I don't want to take xanex due to my brothers addiction to them and my grandpas anxiety that made him out of it so it worries me. If this doesn't work I don't know what else to do. I hope this works for people who have severe anxiety like me that avoids anything social, worries constantly, racing thoughts, etc."

Jasminerd (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017