User Reviews for Buspirone to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 38% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Buspirone Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Buspirone

J · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 1, 2020

“I’ve taken 15-30mg dose of buspirone for borderline personality disorder, of this off and on, but longest stretch was a year. I find it helps with anxiety some, but it really helps me with anger/aggression and intrusive thoughts and splitting less. Frequent urinating is suppose to be an uncommon side effect, but I definitely deal with that. But that, along with a little dizziness for about 1/2 an hour after taking it are the only side effects I notice. It’s not the worst thing to get off of either, not like SSRIs.”

aarrgghhlnln · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2019

“Started this to manage the anxiety symptoms as really that's all I could expect from it. I have a profound distrust of SSRIs from severe side effects mainly brain fog, I've tried many SSRIs for my depressive symptoms. I started taking 5mg of Buspirone 3 x a day. While it did make me feel a little light headed and brain fogged to begin with it was nothing like the reactions I get with SSRIs. After 2 weeks my anxiety made huge improvements and it was weird to notice the absence of stress and worry. As I continued with the drug the side effects got better unlike when being on an SSRI. I have only good things to say about buspirone as it's the first drug to work for me that helped my anxiety, that's not even mentioning the lack of side effects and while I'm not everyone and others might not have the same experience all I can say is give it a good run and it might work.”

JustReviewing · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

“I’ve been on 10 mg per day for 3 weeks or so. I take this for social anxiety/general anxiety. I noticed at first I had debilitating migraines-the kind with eye pressure/light sensitivity/where you feel like you’re going to puke. It also made me feel like I was in a fog, kind of like I was high but not. Now my anxiety is slowly subsiding. I’m starting to be able to go out in public without feeling panicked. The initial side effects weren’t fun at all, but I stuck with it. This medicine is seeming to work for me now.”

LiliPadTx · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 20, 2017

“My daughter, who has BPD, has taken Buspirone for about 18 months to treat her anxiety. It doesn't treat the full range of BPD symptoms (which is why I didn't rate it higher as a BPD medication), but for anxiety, it's the one drug she takes that truly does its job.”

Why Me · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 18, 2020

“I have taken this buspirone pill for a good while now. I experience no side effects which is so rare for me. I was diagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) a year ago and buspirone helps so much with my anxiety when I can't calm it myself. I highly recommend, but I recognize that it may not work for everyone.”

bb · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2020

“I've been on buspirone for a little over a month now. My doctor prescribed it to help with my anxiety and BPD in addition to lamotrigrine (which I've taken for months). After about a week, I started to notice my mood shifting more but brushed it off thinking it was just me adjusting to the new medication. However as time went on, I became less and less stable with little to no change in my anxiety. I was suddenly feeling more irritable, hostile even, in addition to worsened depression and dissociating again (despite not having an episode for months prior). I would definitely make sure to discuss any possible side effects or drug interactions if you're on any mood stabilizers before taking this medication, and if you feel your depression or anxiety worsen within the first week, don't ignore it”

Bambi · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2021

“I was prescribed this for anxiety I have, I also have BPD. I feel like this really agitated my BPD symptoms. This medication made me experience anger I never have before over something so small. Glad I’m on abilify now.”

Stormyuk · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

“I am currently on Mirtazepine and Trazodone, have been for a long time. GP placed me on Buspirone two 5MGs daily. This is a horrible drug to start, I experienced 2 weeks of really bad side effects, extreme agitation, low mood, dizziness. I had read similar reviews about this so persevered for 2 weeks. After this I felt a lot calmer and a lot less anxious which was great. However 3 months later they reversed the effect, I started having panic attacks and my anxiety went through the roof. I came off them, with minimal discontinuation effects. I went to see my Psc today and he told me he was glad I did. Apparently they have been sold as a great alternative to Diazepam without the addiction. However he said medics are now becoming aware that these are actually habit forming. My advise, stay away.”

Sherm · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 24, 2020

“It actually works pretty well. It doesn’t have much buzz like benzos but given how tough those were to come off of, I really like Buspar. I take 10mg twice daily and it just mellows me out. It’s fairly strong but takes a couple days to start working well”

Boop · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 7, 2019

“Made me so sleepy that I fell asleep while driving once. I would have to wake up at 4am and take it so i could get 2 hours of sleep in after before going to work. Took the edge off of my anxiety definitely, but not safe for me to be taking twice daily”

CB · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2019

“For my self this buspirone medication is awesome! I feel like a new person!”

BRYANT 73 · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2017

“It made me so dizzy it was crazy. Did not help anxiety at all. Also looking at wiki, it acts like an antipsychotic. I don't know about this med. Can't believe the FDA approved this rubbish. ”

Snk88602 · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2017

“This medication did not do any good for me. It was prescribed to help with my anxiety. The only thing that I noticed while taking the medicine is the severe migraines that it would cause me.”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder