User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 3)

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced

Borderline Personality Disorder
4.3

Summary of Buspirone reviews 5.9 653 reviews

Reviews for Buspirone

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was on 15 mg of buspirone for many months. I recently lost my job and have a lot of anxiety and depression. I am seeing a psychiatrist who said my dose was too low and upped it to 60 mg a day. I still don't feel like it is working. I am also on Zoloft. I still am having a lot of anxiety. Years ago I was on Ativan and it was a miracle drug for me. I would like to stop the buspirone and just take the Ativan as needed. I see my psychiatrist in a couple weeks and am going to suggest that. I also have the feeling of a huge lump in my throat that I know is stress related."

Rockmej (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Developed anxiety and panic again after not having it for 30 years. Could have been triggered by an attack of vertigo. Dr. put me on Buspar 10mg twice a day. I was also on Prozac 20 mg once a day and Clonopin 0.5mg once at night for years and felt just fine. The Buspar made me spacey and did not help the anxiety. They reduced it to 5mg twice a day. Still a little spacey and did not help anxiety. Upped my Clonopin to an extra 0.5mg in morning and 0.25mg in afternoon. Buspar is not helping. Going to ask my doctor to change to something else. Been on it almost a couple of months. Any help anyone can give me? Thanks so much. I am also afraid to be alone at home since hubby works 2nd shift but is going to 1st shift next week which will help."

lmp1954 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been on this for about 3 weeks now. At first I thought it was helping my anxiety a bit but then I realized it was just making me tired and loopy after I took it, and that's worn off now (which is good but now I realized it wasn't helping). Giving it 3 stars because it didn't hurt me except for the tired loopy feeling, and I can't orgasm easily at all. Also my appetite is gone so I've lost some weight, which is nice except having no appetite meant I wasn't taking in enough calories so I was even more tired. Basically it was just pointless and didn't help."

YETI3000 (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I used buspar 5mg once every few years. It's very good for me and very mild. I tried double dosage once and I was groggy. But on 5mg, I was perfectly normal. When I get my anxiety attack (once every decade or so) my hands shake, can't eat, color of my face goes pale.... but immediately soon after taking buspar, I feel much better. Please note that these medication don't work just as well on everybody. The nature of psychotropic medication would work wonders on one person, and horribly or not at all one another person. You gotta keep trying until you find something that works for you."

WackyGuy (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was very nervous to take any medication but after trying therapy, some meditation & self-help. I decided to try buspirone. Other stuff helped to some extent. I was so anxious. To start I split 7.5 pills in half and started at 7.5mg a day. After a month I increased it to 3 times a day. Again I split 7.5 in half so I'm taking 3 times a day for a total of 11.25 mg a day total current dosage last (6) months Pros: I did start to feel less anxious, I didn't like overreact to stress like I used to. I still get anxious but its prob decreased by about 60-70% which is fine. Some anxiety is fine. I'm glad I take it. Cons: Do feel tired especially first month or two and sometimes still. I currently added Bupropion (Wellbutrin) for depression."

ANxiousGuy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Started taking the lowest dose, when that seemed ineffective the doctor upped the dosage, a few times. The entire time I was on the medication I had horrible dizzy spells. I had to time my taking it just right so I would be able to drive to work safely. At first I felt better. I was hoping this was the medicine that would help me with my anxiety. I had hope my body would "get used to it" and the dizziness would eventually end. That never happened. I gave it a full year (I know now how ridiculous that was). During this time period I also had really negative thoughts that I absolutely believe were linked to the medication. I have been off of it and on a different medication for almost a year now and can finally see what it was doing to me."

BeaMartin June 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I did not like this medication nor do I recommend it. I don't know if I was taking a low dose or a normal dose but I was on 10 mg twice a day. That medication made me feel very tingly, I felt like a rubberband that was stretched pulled, this was a daily feeling, it was scary. I also had feelings of not being able to control myself. For example when washing dishes I felt that I was out of control. So I hurried and washed dishes. I took this medication for about 2 months, I stopped taking it. I will never again take it again. What did help me with 95% of my anxiety attacks was to stay away from sugar and flour products. Now I rarely have anxiety attacks. More Protein!"

Nando2017 June 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Only been on it for about a month but so far it's really helped. Had me on Paxil as well at first and I hated how I felt on that - lots of headaches and sweating. Doing much better on the Buspar alone."

Binxter123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've been taking buspar in differing doses on and off for over a year. I was prescribed it and 0.5mg xanax for severe anxiety and panic attacks. Taken together it was helping only couldn't function or take care of my daughter while taking both. Since moving to another state I stopped taking the xanax and then got pregnant so can't take it anyways. My anxiety and panic issues got better after moving to the new state. But getting pregnant again my anxiety came back . I was started on a slightly lower dose then was taking before and it was too much for me so my ob and I decided on a lower dose but I upped it due to not being helpful I will be upping again and hopefully it helps... Its a good medication if the right dose."

It does work (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I been perscribed this for GAD I haven't begun yet cause I've never taken anything besides occasionally valuim at the dentist. I been reading reviews and am worried until it works will I be able to function. ?"

SunSue (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Prescribed 7.5mg twice a day, to eventually move up to 15mg. The first dose made me so dizzy and lightheaded that to had to lie down. I tried just one small dose for a few days after, kept getting dizzy spells and feeling faint. Actually increased anxiety because I was so worried about the side effects"

Tinabelcher (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm taking buspar for anxiety that I'm having due to an injury. I broke my wrist about 8 weeks ago, and I am in a cast from the tip of my thumb to just below the elbow. My Dr. told me I might be in this cast for 12 weeks or significantly longer. I started having bad anxiety and panic attacks. So my family Dr. put me on buspar and zoloft for the duration of being in a cast. So far it hasn't seemed to help very much, 7.5 mg twice daily. I'm hoping that it will start helping with the anxiety. I do feel a little light headed and I'm always tried. This isn't my first broken bone or cast, but this is the first time I've ever experienced anxiety."

Alex 5000 (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "Buspirone has worked miracles for me and I did not expect it to work. Multiple doctors have tried SSRIs for my anxiety multiple times and SSRIs have never, ever worked for me. The only thing that has worked were benzos, and we all know that doctors treat you like an addict if you try to take benzos without the SSRIs. I am so glad my current doctor tried this for me instead of trying to shove more SSRI's down my throat. On this medication I am more confident, have been able to enjoy situations that would have given me panic attacks a month ago, and I worry less as a result. My doctor explained this med by saying that it increases serotonin. If you have low serotonin, SSRIs won't help. In that case Buspirone can help."

HiTherePeople (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have debilitating anxiety which keeps me from leaving the house many days. Before, I would cry almost daily, even when life was going better. The little things tore me apart. With the buspar... it's like I'm getting "moments" back. I still get anxious sometimes, but I have occasional periods of feeling. ... normal. Clear. Simple, natural interactions with family and friends are possible again. As time goes on, I'm experiencing more and more "moments" of real life again, or, life before anxiety. Multiple friends have told me I seem much happier. Though I don't particularly think of myself as suddenly " all sunshine and roses", I feel like I have my life back. I'm actually living again."

J.bohannon May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "FAINTING SPELL. About 30 minutes after taking this, for about 15 minutes my heart would race (~135bpm?), and I would feel as if I were about to FAINT (head rush?). I would spend 15 minutes trying to remain calm, fighting the urge to collapse. I tried it twice and had the same response. Thank goodness I wasn't driving when it kicked in. My wife had a similar reaction. Seriously, please be cautious when first trying this medication."

drugs010101 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "Gave me brain shocks and worsened my panic attack. I understand that different medications are for different people but this gave me migraines. 5mg."

Skittish_Mittens (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I still had anxiety. I woke up in the middle of the night, but in the morning I was dizzy till about 11. Can't be productive on this medicine!"

Keytolife (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "28 female- I was diagnosed with Bipolar, manic depressive when I was 14. I have been on an off of medication for years. When I approached my PCP for medication for my anxiety they were nervous about giving me a SSRI due to they make me manic. They tried giving me abilify but that landed me in the ER. Buspirone was my last resort. It's been about 4 weeks and what a difference. I'm enjoying my life with my kids, family, and friends again. I used to go everywhere with no problems but the past 7 months I could barely leave my house. I shut down completely. Buspirone is changing me back to the person I was. My anger has diminished. My paranoia is gone. I can go out in public without a panic attack or racing thoughts."

Jerseygirl07 April 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I am taking the buspar but it making me feel too relaxed and giving me worse anxiety. My whole body is tingly and I have a huge headache I don't have anything else that to take but I am so afraid to take it - it is Saturday I can't get a hold of my dr. I just don't what to anymore anyone have any ideas"

Kim rojas April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started on 5 mg for anxiety caused by my OCD. I got bumped to 7.5 and within 3 days could feel some of the terrible anxiety burn I get in my upper back go away. A month went by and I had a terrible setback with depression because I could no longer could deal with my panic & OCD. Doctor bumped me to 10 mg. Same pattern occurred.... within 3 days I was feeling better. In fact, had the best day in a while. It might just be a coincidence and therapy might be helping in conjunction with, but I notice Buspar does help with my extreme anxiety, but only when I went above 5 mg. I have not noticed any side effects. I'm also taking zoloft, zyprexa 2.5, and klonipin .25. I have endured a lot with panic attacks, OCD, and depression hence all the meds."

kytrailhikers April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "So, I give this 7 out of 10. I'd give it 10 out of 10, but the first week on this was really uncomfortable. I almost stopped using it. I started out at 10 mg buspar once a day and then after a week increased to 10 twice a day . The first week, I won't lie, was a doozy. My psych said that her patients either love it or hate it and it's pretty much 50/50 with little gray area. But since it's inexpensive, been around for a while, and is pretty safe, she likes that to be the first option when dealing with GAD. Fair. The first week, I was really, really dizzy. Felt a bit fuzzy in the head. kind of jumpy. I had to pull over while driving and sit down for a bit. BUT after about two weeks. Whoah. My life is changed. I'm no longer so anxious!!"

DancingPrancingBearwithAnxiety April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This medication can be effective when used correctly. It has to be taken every day around the same time, much like the way an antidepressant works. It takes a few weeks to become effective. It is not to be taken as needed, as someone mentioned. You have to keep a steady dose of it in your system. For me, it works much better at low doses, best benefit with least side effects, when taken this way."

G Mc (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I take it when I start getting overwhelmed, I don't take it every day just as needed ,works good for me , I don't like long term meds or anything that makes me weird in the head, so far I take at least 2 or 3 in a weeks time sometimes less, it calms me down to where I can function, all in all I'm ok with it, everyone is different and have different effects"

Moni53 April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm on the fence about this medication, I used it for generalized anxiety disorder which was exacerbated after my mother passed away unexpectedly. Well I have to say, I was shaky like I was just as anxious, so I though it was the anxiety, so I stopped the medication after 6 months and I am not shaky anymore, I also feel like everything is clearer. I was on a very light dose 2.5mg three times a day. Maybe I did not take enough. So he gave me Lexapro, which I have not started, I am holding out, when I get anxious I take a half of a .25 xanax and it keeps the anxiety away. So if I was to say I don't think this medication helped very much. Maybe at a higher dose, I don't know. I am skeptical about taking anything like this."

toomuchanxiety April 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I been like a lab rat for many years. Have been on and off this trash Hasn't ever helped me. They (different Dr throughout years) will try this first. For one. I don't want to be over or under medicated. I understand everybody reacts differently to prescriptions or any thing they eat, drink, or put in body. Honestly for me I believe these are placebos (like a sugar or salt pill). I do not abuse any medication. I've been up to 75 MG throughout a day. I can tell you .5mg of clonazepam 3 times a day and I function pretty well. Have had Valium, xanax and felt like a zombie throughout the day. Do work with your Dr. Hopefully you have one that will listen. And offer suggestions if this doesn't work. Good luck"

The helper (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 5, 2017