User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 3)

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 10 reviews 15 medications

Panic Disorder 62 reviews 19 medications

5.8
Summary of Buspirone reviews 594 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Buspirone

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Needed something for severe anxiety and this worked really well at first. I was amazed at how well it worked for the first month and then it all went downhill from there which is strange because I have read it takes a month to work in some people. Was taking 2 doses a day and it worked great but it was short lived. Tried 3 doses a day and that only made it worse. Just felt horrible on it after a couple of months. Maybe it will work for you but it was not for me"

Toil (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started taking buspar about 2 months ago. I started having "brain zaps" and I thought it was temporary. It was not. I started getting water retention and I wanted to eat more than usual. I also was extremely irritable constantly. I was told to take 5mg twice daily. I started with half a pill then after a week the whole pill 2x daily. I since then I decreased my dose to half. Now I'm off completely. All of the side effects have stopped almost immediately. No brain zaps, irritability decreased slowly, and water retention stopped. This pill didn't do anything except all of the bad. On the positive side - getting off of it does not give you severe withdrawal."

Experience1416 January 6, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have Epilepsy as well as Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I have been taking Klonopin and my Doctor is concerned about addictive behavior, so she put me on Buspar and decreased Klonopin. After the first dose, I had a massive panic attack (which can trigger seizures) so I also had a seizure in which I had to go to the E.R for. It also made my hands and feet sweaty, I was shaky all over, and always anxious. I was very appreciative that my doctor let me get off of Buspirone because it is just awful! I would not recommend it to anyone, especially patients who have epilepsy!"

Sari865 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I'm a 32 year old male and I've been taking buspar for about 10 months. At first it did nothing but make my anxiety worse. I would wake up with to full blown panic attacks and have the worse nightmares ever. However I'm now taking 40mg of citaloptam a day mixed with the buspar 15mg and 1mg of xanax twice a day. And Zanax! I have insomnia mixed with with deep anxiety issues. The problem that I have is the buspar makes me so fat! I'm literally considering stop taking it and just see of the other meds can help. Buspar Alone is no substitution for anxiety drug and wouldn't recommend it..."

Here4u2 December 31, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Good medicine"

Ddavisyyy December 30, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I am a very anxious person, socially especially. I take valium 5mg 3x a day (but lately only as needed, I'm tired of going through my script so quick) & yesterday asked my doctor to prescribe Buspar (buspirone) and to let me try it in addition to my valium. He agreed it was safe to take with my other medications (quite a few that I take for chronic pain and anxiety) but this medication, that is the ONLY FDA approved medication for anxiety that is NOT addictive, or so he says, actually has made me smile and made my general social and overall anxiety go away. I just started yesterday, 15mg 3x a day, and even tho I am staying on valium for now, this med may help me wean back to a smaller dose of benzos. Good luck!"

Chelseabergstresser (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Dumb drug under tested"

Dudeman27262u2o292 December 24, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "This drug is awful. My Dr. took me off my klonopin because she was worried about addictive behavior. This drug i only took ! time and will not take again. It made me very dizzy, sick to my stomach, my hear was racing. It basically gave me the worst panic attack I've ever had. Odd since this is supposed to be for anxiety. I understand the risk with taking benzos but it the only thing that has ever helped me. I would recomend never taking buspar."

Art J December 21, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I started buspirone last week. Prescribed to take one 7.5mg twice a day. I'm not big on pill taking so with my doctors consent have only taken them when needed. The first day was... a unique one. I was extremely lightheaded and dizzy. As if the entire room was spilling but at the same time I had this unbelievable sense of relief from my anxiety. There are no words for the sense of relief and calm that i felt. With each day I've taken them the dizzy spell has gotten weaker and weaker. I do have a dull headache afterwards but it passes with time and Tylenol. I'm hoping that goes away as well. But if I have to choose between minor dizziness, and a slight headache over the chest pounding, agonizingly severe panic attack... I choose the buspirone"

Winning against anxiety December 19, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "My first ever medication I tried for anxiety and with unfavorable results unfortunately. Taking it the first week I felt slightly less anxious and ready to move. After this though, I started to can a terrible dizziness that would keep me locked in my bed for hours until it subsides. I tried using this in different settings, times and with different meals to see if anything was going to work but the dizziness was deafening. Had to come off of it after less than a month of feeling like I was on a horrible plane ride."

Lee...H. December 16, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "I have been on Zoloft for 11 years. I have severe panic disorder and anxiety. I brought my Zoloft from 150 to 25mg during my pregnancy, all seemed well until after I gave birth and all my happy hormones wore off. Major postpartum depression and anxiety kicked in. I immediately went up to 150mg of Zoloft but that was not doing the trick. My doctor kept telling me to take buspar but since I tried to many medications before finding Zoloft fitting, I was scared to add something else. After a year of this roller coaster, I gave in, I tried 5mg of buspar at night, I woke up the next day and actually left my house. It is like day and night. I started at 5mg only at night then went to 5mg day and night. Don't worry to try it if you are scared!"

Anna V December 12, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Geeze. I started buspar 2 weeks ago in hospital. They had me taking 5mg twice a day. My psyc said too take three times a day because I have come off adavan. My issue is, the first dise works great, the second one I take at 6:00 knocks me on my butt after I eat. Literally I become kinda lathargic, I am also med sensitive. Help please"

fancyfree (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Buspirone has improved my life! Initial response was unpleasant. Prescribed 10mg 1/2-1 pill every 6-8 hrs. First dose felt odd, not myself, jittery, detached. Others positive reviews prompted me to started w/only 1/4 pill before a nap then 1/2 before bed. Being asleep made a difference, woke up refreshed, alert, at ease. Then took 1 pill 3 x day. Day 5 the constant ringing in my ears from tinnitus was less noticeable and my stress level better. After a month I feel so much happier! Positive, alert, more in control. Negatives: vivid dreams. Symptoms of my autoimmune disorder are improved, it appears Buspirone helps in more ways than is listed and has turned out to be the single most effective med I take. Wish I had it years ago!"

DB867 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I started on 5mg twice a day for the first month and now am on 10mg twice a day for 2-3 weeks now. It made me really dizzy after taking it and it still does but I just make sure to take it when I'm sitting down for awhile. I did not really think it was working at all because I was getting anxious constantly still. However this last week I have had zero anxiety. In fact I feel so weird not worrying all the time. But I am happy because it's actually working. I am glad I stuck it out. I recommend staying on it for 6-8 weeks before deciding it does not work. Yes there are some side effects but nothing like SSRIs that I had taken in past."

Toni10 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Why is everyone on such extremely low doses of Buspar?? I've been taking it for approx 3 years for anxiety at a prescribed dose of 30 mgs every 4 - 6 hours for a total not to exceed 150mgs daily. The half life of Buspar is only 2-3 hours so it makes absolutely no sense to me that someone would only be taking one dose per day unless they're only wanting to curb their anxiety symptoms for 4-6 hours per day.... . ."

V1975 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I take Viibryd which is designed to reduce side affects. I started taking it so I could have a sex life again. Prozac removed all sexual desire but since the half life is shorteron Viibryd you Can get turned on once it tapers off, still it was difficult to get in the mood do I've avoided dating altogether. I started taking Buspirone 3 days ago for my anxiety and It has stopped the libido problem altogether! I had no idea this helped,! Great news, not to mention it has kept me calm."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I started this for my moderate anxiety and the side effects were so terrible I had to stop. Felt like my head wasn't attached to my body, really dizzy and therefore nauseous too. I took it with food and within 15 minutes every time I feel like this. Made me vomit the first time because I was so dizzy. I'm going back tomorrow and refuse to take it anymore. I couldn't feel any positive effects because I was too busy trying to stand straight"

PattiLh November 30, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Not good experience AT ALL. I Have anxiety and depression - usually managable with 20mg paroxetine but exacerbated by stress at work- also diagnosed with C-PTSD. Take diazepam as and when to deal with most severe panic attacks. Psychiatrist assured me I could still take diazepam with this drug. After 1st dose I felt drowsy, spaced out and dizzy with heavy legs. I actually fell down a small flight of stairs in my house and later on in the day slipped on the main staircase. Decided to persevere and take another in the evening. Woke up feeling like a zombie, could hardly stay awake, headache and on edge. Discontinued. That night, woke up TERRIFIED and spent next day (today) either having intense panic attacks or wanting to commit suicide"

Welsh girl (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Started taking this medication for GAO. I had never taken any medication regularly before. I got diagnosed with GAO at 31. Started on a low dose 5mg per day and over the course of a month it got bumped up to 15 mg twice a day. This drug didn't give me immediate relief. It took six weeks but all of the symptoms of my GAO have disappeared. I am finally reaping the rewards of the full clinical effect, I feel like myself again! Initially I had side effects like dizzyness, ringing in my ears and nausea but over time they have lessened. I still don't feel too hot for the first hour after I take it but after that hour, I'm golden. I had to be patient and just deal with my GAO, which sucked. My take: The juice is worth the squeeze"

Rich911 November 27, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I am always hungry since starting Buspar and getting fat! But it does help with anxiety. Doctor denies it can cause weight gain. How can I stop gaining weight and lose??"

Leanna114 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have severe panic disorder for years now. I've been taken off ativan and put on buspar, 15mg 3 times a day. I feel amazing. no full blown panic attacks in weeks, thats a true miracle for me. my appetite is low, and I'm losing much needed weight. I'm also on neurontin for anxiety, lexapro for anxiety and depression. I have to say, this is the best I've felt in over 10 years. this buspar works for me, amazing drug."

mamaturtles (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2016

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "My GP prescribed this at 10mg up to 3x a day but only as needed. As in when I would start feeling an overwhelming foreshadowing to an anxiety attack. Taken as such, this medication did nothing for me. I only got like a rush of dizziness shortly after taking. So I stopped. A couple of months later I went to visit my psychiatrist on my regular visit and I explained the buspar and dosage I was told. She absolutely disagreed with my GP's dosage and informed me I should take this drug consistently 3x a day and not just as needed since this needs to build in your system to be effective. I can't say if this is AS effective for me yet as I was misinformed on dosage from my 1st doc but it's starting to work better than only taking as needed."

Lexii (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I tried buspar in addition to 200mg of zoloft. it was meant to enhance the zoloft. Unfortunately , it didn't work for me. I was on it for about 5 months, and during that time i kept having on and off discomfort , like my heart was beating harder,my stomach was always really bloated, my body heat would rise and I'd have a hard time cooling down. The symptoms were so mild I didn't really pay much attention to it, but after a while i got tired of the negative side effects and decided to call it quits. Almost immediately after i stopped taking the medication, all of those negative symptoms went away so I definitely know it was the buspar. if anyone has similar side effects, just stop the medication after two weeks max, its not worth it."

sudoku November 24, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I finally went up to 30 milligrams a day. It helped tremendously with my anxiety. I went off after I lost my insurance and had no withdrawals like I did with benzodiazepines."

Jarhead3 November 24, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Trying to get off this drug caused brain zaps, extreme dizziness, diminished libido, and panic which caused me to get back on the original dose. I still don't fully understand what it does."

Jack mehoff November 23, 2016