User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 3)

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 1,067 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of those users who reviewed Buspirone reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
6.4
Summary of Buspirone reviews 5.8 1,067 reviews

Reviews for Buspirone

Dylan M October 27, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I was prescribed benzodiazepine for my post traumatic stress disorder induced anxiety. The benzos worked great for me but after admitting myself into a rehab program for substance abuse I was told I could no longer take the benzos as there is high risk for abuse and addiction (even though this wasn't the medicine I was abusing). After a number of panic attacks I sought help from the doctor for a non-addictive alternative. They gave me Buspar 10mg 3x a day. This improved my anxiety but I still had days that were debilitating. I saw the doctor again and he upped the does to 15mg 3x a day and I have been completely anxiety free since. Make sure you have the proper dosage before claiming this doesn't work. And the side effects like dizziness are easily countered with a good meal.”

SB · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I won't lie, this medication metronidazole zapped my anxiety. It made it manageable after only a few days on it. I thought this was it, finally. And then it made my life a living nightmare. First it was fatigue and drowsiness so bad that I couldn't function. Then it was dissociation. Then it was an overall feeling of not being myself. And then, finally, the agitation and on-edge sensation that so many others have reported. I feel like I'm floating, detached, constantly in a fog, and that reality is no longer here. I wake up in panicked jolts, gripping my chest, unable to breathe. I have strange dreams, and that's only when I can sleep. Be wary when on this medication and listen to your body. Yes, in my case it drastically lessened my anxiety, but the slew of problems that came with it were not worth it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have been taking Buspar for 2 months and have definitely noticed I am more relaxed and less reactive and upset in stressful situations. Prior to Buspar I had taken Xanax as needed for anxiety but it made me extremely hungry I would eat so much (and even worse-not remember) that it just gave me more anxiety from all the weight gain. I am only taking Buspar now and I take 7.5 mg x 3 daily. I am able to function on this medication and not feel like a zombie. I feel very relaxed and I am starting to enjoy life!”

Anonymous April 29, 2008

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar has been very effective for me in treating occasional panic attacks and generalized anxiety, without side effects I've experienced with other medications such as Paxil. Doctors have been inclined to prescribe other medications as my anxiety symptoms often occur with emotional situations (death of loved one etc.) and I am crying alot. However the emotion is a natural reaction to the situation. Anti-depressant meds affected me negatively in contrast to buspar which helps alot.”

Anonymous November 18, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Genetic testing for the correct medication is essential in 2019! Finding the medications to avoid saves so much time and distress. Buspar is the right medication for me genetically and I am experiencing positive results.”

BlondeMama · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I'm not exaggerating when I tell you all: This medicine has truly CHANGED my life! After suffering with clinical depression and anxiety for over 12 years, this is the only medicine that has completely taken the anxiety away. I take it along with Prozac 30mg and WOW what a difference it has made for me. (I've been on Prozac for 8-10 years). The Prozac helps with depression, but since my main problem was anxiety, it didn't help very much with that. Xanax wouldn't work for me like it used to, and after this last debilitating episode of anxiety, I had lost hope that anything would work for me. I'm only on 10mg on Buspar and it's literally made me the way I was before I started suffering all those years ago. I feel like the REAL ME again! Amazing!”

artlpn · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar has changed my life! I absolutely love this medication. I suffer from phobias and health anxiety and this medication has worked wonders for me. As a nurse, I didn't want anything addictive and this was my miracle. I tried Ativan and it didn't even touch my anxiety. I have had no side effects with the Buspar and it has helped me to relax and feel like myself again! I highly recommend it!”

Keno · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I wouldn’t say this medicine is horrible but it didn’t help me. I feel like this is for people with very mild anxiety. My anxiety is very high so it only helped a little. Made me dizzy, and gave me a headache I tried it for 8 days and stopped. I’m now on Zoloft 25mg and really liking it so far.”

themoth · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have CPTSD and a very stressful life as a single parent. I started on buspirone 5mg 2x a day because I am sensitive to meds and wanted to reduce any possible side effects. I felt a little "off" stomach-wise for the first two doses but nothing intolerable. I then went up to 5mg 3x a day. Zero reduction in anxiety symptoms. Then my doc raised it to 7.5mg 3x a day. Still nothing. It feels like a placebo or something. I'll give it some stars for not giving me side effects like the SSRIs I can't tolerate. Doc said they would try the max dose soon but I'm not hopeful. I'm still having trouble falling/staying asleep, huge startle response, easily triggered and trouble focusing.”

Chance · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2020

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: “I was on Lexapro for about 6 months for anxiety!! It basically brought my sex life to an end. Difficulty maintaining an erection and premature ejaculation. Been on buspar for over a month and my sex life is better than ever!! No more premature ejaculation and my erection is harder and better than ever!! I’m 45 years old and I feel 20 again!!”

Alli · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Doctor prescribed this Buspar to me for my anxiety I got which worsened with Wellbutrin XL (I take that for depression). I used to take Xanax but decided to discontinue the use of it. My doctor prescribed me this and told me to take it when needed or everyday which ever I prefer. I have zero complaints about this medication. When I first took it, I got super dizzy and light headed. But other than that it does calm me and make me feel much better.”

Edie March 7, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Prescribed this by my PCP for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and was told that it’s an anti-anxiety drug with little to no side effects or withdrawal. Took it for 9 weeks before stopping it. The first week was terrible— it worsened my anxiety and I ended up having crying spells an hour or two after I took it. I also started to get jaw stiffness and ear popping but I’ve read that side effects would eventually subside, so I decided to stick with it. It started working at 3 weeks and my anxiety had been noticeably decreased. By the 4th week though, my sleep started to get worse and I couldn’t sleep through the night. While my anxiety was low, my mind also felt very foggy and slow and that was ratcheting my anxiety even more. Stopped taking it almost 3 weeks ago and there were definitely withdrawal symptoms despite what my PCP said. Definitely not the drug for me. That one week of being anxiety-free is not worth the 8 weeks I had to deal with terrible side effects.”

monimmr July 7, 2008

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have been taking this medicine 15mg in the morning and 15mg at night and it works great. Never had any medical problems before then last year all of a sudden I had a panic attack and was in bed three weeks with anxiety, it scared me to death. I was in such fear I shook. This drug took three weeks to get me OK but it's now been 19 months without anxiety I hope it works long term. I still fear another panic attack it was horrible expecially for someone who had always been healthy and happy.”

emil64 March 1, 2010

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I am now into my 3rd week and for myself it worked by the next morning. I had a past of 20 years on prescription Ativan and the after effects of stopping that medication made me very wary of trying anything else for my attacks. But my life had stopped and I truly felt no hope for the future so I laid it all out for my doctor and mentioned that I had noticed an article on Buspar and with little or no side effects or chance of addiction it seemed a chance I would take. My doctor said she had prescribed it many times chosing it for those same reasons with her patients. Since then my anxiety is almost non-existent. I don't feel medicined at all. It did mess with my stomach some but nothing to change my opinion of the medicine. Last hope, best decision.”

Edsterytt February 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have had anxiety for 10 years and had given up all hope for a normal life. Last year i was prescribed Buspar 15mg a day and it did nothing for me. On one of my many visits to the mental hospital I was told to try bumping it up to 40mg. A week later I had my first anxiety free day. It's now been 7 months and I haven't had a single anxiety day. I have finally started to love again, I feel normal. My doctor said that because it's not addictive and doesn't lose its effects over time like Benzos I can continue to take it indefinitely so I will. If you're on it and it's not working perhaps you may need more For me it's finally given me my life back”

Ashton Malibu · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2021

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed 7.5mg buspirone three times daily to treat anxiety. The drug started working relatively quickly. I needed to control my anxiety as it was causing multiple heart palpitations and irregularities. Within 2 weeks, my palpitations went from 1,600 recorded abnormalities on a 24hr Holter monitor test to virtually zero noticeable palpitations. My heart does not race as much since I've started buspirone. My overall anxiety has diminished moderately, and I have an easier time shutting off my mind before bed. I have also noticed slight improvements in my depression as well. I actually catch myself laughing and smiling more. I have not noticed and side effects after taking the medication either. Overall, a significant improvement on anxiety-induced palpitations, a moderate improvement on general anxiety, and a slight improvement on overall mood.”

Kat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 17, 2019

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: “I got put on buspirone for libido problems and my libido came back like it was in my teenage years within a few days of taking 15 mg daily. I didn't know curing sexual dysfunction was a side effect. Made me feel human again, my libido had been dead for 4.5 yrs due to extreme domestic abuse. Talk about feeling alive again.”

Overanalyzer March 11, 2009

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “For acute anxiety this is AMAZING. Rapid racing heartbeat. Excessive sweating. Constant worrying. Over-analyzing. This medicine basically at 15MG gives you a feeling like you just drank a six pack and ate an amazing meal. I take it with xanax and cymbalta. Buspar is the best non habit forming short term medicine to get your life back on track when life gets overwhelming.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 20, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar allows me to rationally look at my intrusive thoughts without getting trapped in obsessive thinking. I have taken Xanax in the past, and feel that this medication is superior, though it takes some time to build up in your system. I was against being on medication for a few years, but plan on staying on Buspar indefinitely, as it improves my quality of life and decreases many of the physical symptoms of anxiety I have experienced in the past, such as muscle tension and teeth grinding. I have also tried Celexa in the past, and unlike an SSRI, I do not feel zombied out in the least, just clearer and more "at ease". I highly recommend this medication!”

J.bohannon May 7, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have debilitating anxiety which keeps me from leaving the house many days. Before, I would cry almost daily, even when life was going better. The little things tore me apart. With the buspar... it's like I'm getting "moments" back. I still get anxious sometimes, but I have occasional periods of feeling. ... normal. Clear. Simple, natural interactions with family and friends are possible again. As time goes on, I'm experiencing more and more "moments" of real life again, or, life before anxiety. Multiple friends have told me I seem much happier. Though I don't particularly think of myself as suddenly " all sunshine and roses", I feel like I have my life back. I'm actually living again.”

KeepPushinOn · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

For Anxiety: “Took buspirone, 20mg/day, for four months, for general anxiety. Have been taking lamotrigine also for one year and five months. Initial buspirone side effects: prolonged haziness, nausea (disappeared after +/- 10 days), fatigue. Over time, experienced a general calming effect. Downside: a lot of undesirable, sedative effects. Lack of focus, slowness to absorb information, poor impulse control, short-term memory loss. Physical side effects: tinnitus, dizzy spells, loss of balance, loss of appetite, weight gain, muscle cramps. Consumption of even small amounts of alcohol led to blackouts and (uncharacteristic) volatile outbursts. Work performance declined quickly, conflicts at home emerged. Stopping this medication led to improvements in productivity, focus, impulse control, physical energy/stamina, memory. Brief periods of tension also re-emerged.”

Wapo · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 19, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Taking Buspar at a dose of 10mgs 3 times a day for anxiety does very little. It's a substitute to shut you up because your doctor's hands are tied to right prescriptions that work. Like Xanax and Valium.”

Sean · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “This medicine Bupar is a lifesaver for me. Recently I am experiencing anxiety and a serious panic attack. My PCP prescribed me 7.5mg of this med, not the brand though. After a couple of days, I am feeling much better. This medicine does not make me sleepy or zombie. I am functional normal throughout the day and I could focus on solving the problem than worry about the problem. Thanks to Buspar.”

Mier May 31, 2009

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “This medicine has been a lifesaver for me. After 10 years of anxiety and 2 years of being practically invalid due to generalized anxiety disorder and panic attacks with depression, I'm finally having a medicine that works. Neuroleptics like ketiamine just made me gain weight, Cipralex was a little help, but not really adding quality of life. After 5 days on Buspar I'm clearly better. Sleeping is in place, I'm feeling more functional and positive and my ability to go out and even exercise has come back. I have now been on this medicine over three months and every day my life gets a little bit better.”

boomboom77 December 13, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder, I have since I was a teenager. In the past, I took Xanax as needed but it sometimes made me depressed and I worried about developing a tolerance or addiction. After less than a month on Buspar, I have already seen a major improvement. I ruminate less, my body is less tense, I am considerably less fearful (which is saying a lot because I was becoming fearful of leaving the house), I am able to tolerate stressors in a rational way, I am no longer depressed. What remains of my anxiety is manageable and it no longer interferes with my life. I began on 10mg and after a couple weeks bumped up to 15mg. I experienced insomnia the first couple days but that went away. Take with food for nausea. ”