User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 5)

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 1,067 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of those users who reviewed Buspirone reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
6.4
Summary of Buspirone reviews 5.8 1,067 reviews

Reviews for Buspirone

Rc9999 · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have generalized anxiety, few panic attacks ever, mostly just obsessive irrational thoughts and constant fears which aren't normal. This definitely helps me calm down and keeps my brain quiet when it normally never stops. For about 2 weeks I would get spouts of dizziness, along with a feeling of restlessness and an inability to focus (felt very much like ADD) but it has been going away! This medicine helps for general anxiety, but I don't think it would do much for panic. I take 5mg 3x a day.”

WorryNoMore April 24, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Been on this medication for over 12 years. Works well for me. Calms me down without the "brain zapping" I got from Paxil and Lexapro. Dosage has been adjusted throughout the years. I am told 60mgs a day is the maximum dose. I am currently on 15mgs 3 times per day. It took a good two weeks to get into my system, and I remember thinking it wasn't working at first. It's no Xanax, but it has helped me much more then Paxil and Lexapro did. This works well for me, and I have no issues taking it for the rest of my life. I do get some increased hunger and minor dizziness after each dose for about 15 minutes, but that beats being anxious and worrying all the time. It is also pretty cheap.”

Whitneigh February 15, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I started on Effexor, that medicine made me sick, and nauseated. My Dr decided to put me on Buspar instead. This medicine made my anxiety so much better! And the side effects are very minimal, I only get a little light headed for a short time, but that's so much better than being sick to my stomach. This stuff has really helped me get through a rough time.”

DesertGuy April 12, 2010

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “I can't believe the difference in how I've felt with BuSpar. I had daily anxiety/panic attacks due to a very stressful series of events in the last year and BuSpar has made all the difference in the world. I've been taking 15mg 3x per day (45mg/day) and the results are amazing. No side effects at all. Every now and then I'll take an Ativan (.25mg) to augment the BuSpar, but I know I get the most relief from the BuSpar. Before taking this, I would have uncontrollable thoughts and fears that made me feel like I was going crazy and couldn't stop them. Now, I'm able to rationalize them and get them out of my head much easier. I definitely recommend this medicine to anyone with severe panic and anxiety problems.”

Juno June 15, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar has changed my life in profound ways. In combination with antidepressants, it has made a huge difference for me. Before Buspar, I was debilitated by Social Anxiety Disorder. Avoidance, panic attacks, isolation... etc. Without Buspar, I felt like my whole body was raw all of the time. I started taking Buspar about 3.5 years ago and the first thing I noticed was sleepiness. But other than that, no side effects. It took a while to start working, but when it did, I was finally able to feel relaxed in public. The biggest thing is that it sedates the body. It makes me less reactive and slows down my mind. I can see how for some, this can produce a sluggish feeling, but it's exactly what I needed. The sleepiness is not a huge issue anymore. Oh, and I take Buspar 15 mg three times a day. A major downside is that I have to take it every five hours, but it's seriously like my protective armor.”

KONNOR · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Have been taking Buspar 15mg 3 times a day for 3 months and didn't notice anything therapeutic at all, going to the doctor's tomorrow might ask for the max of 20mgs 3 times a day. Not sure if it is a very ineffective med, or whether I would go as far and say it's a rubbish med”

Anonsy · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “I have taken this medication for a month and in that time I have had the quietest mind of my life. I take Lexapro for my regular medicine and this is for easing the generalized anxiety disorder that acts up so frequently. Never have I been able to stop myself from a panic attack like this. It's amazing. The first week was tiring and disorienting...after that, smooth sailing.”

Maddie February 19, 2020

For Anxiety: “Not going to lie, I had this about a year almost 2. I noticed when I am on this, I am more irritable, I have restless nights where I don't fall asleep or stay asleep. I noticed that my mindset has completely changed negatively and it doesn't keep me calm or relaxed. I feel more nervous or anxious. I noticed if I am off of them, I get more emotional. I am telling you, this is not the medication for you especially if you take half. I think it messes with my breathing too. I am more tired and low energy when I take this.”

MmIiKkEe · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Was misdiagnosed for months and took several prescriptions for another diagnosis. Symptoms worsened and felt like I was in a hole I couldn’t scratch out of. Was taken off all meds, started on Buspar 10mg 3x a day and have never felt better. It’s like being born again. Would recommend for anyone needing a quick fix. Be compliant and see what all it can do for you.”

calabsv May 7, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “About 3 months ago out of no where I had a severe panic attack and was rushed to hospital thinking it was a heart attack which it was not but the next day I woke up with severe anxiety, it was horrible. I tried natural remedies but nothing worked and was afraid of SSRIs because of the side effects, after some research I asked to try Buspar, it took over 2 months and playing with the dosage, I take 10 mg morning, 7.5mg afternoon and night time. I finally feel like the constant dialogue in my head is settled down to a point where I can function, hoping it just gets better from here on in. I have had no side effects at all, it may take a while for this medicine to work but stick with it. I think it's worth it.”

KellyBondGirl June 4, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I've been taking Buspar for a year. I feel like I can mange my life better when I'm on it. I can cope so much better with my life's stressors, especially the ones related to taking care of my daughter, who has autism. I used to get overwhelmed easily. With the busar I am more patient, not explosive or impulsive. Also, I used to have so many negative or catastrophic as automatic thoughts all the time. On Buspar I rarely have them. Buspar has worked great for me.”

C · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have struggled with depression for about 8 years, and recently my anxiety has been exacerbating my depression. Because of this, my doctor decided to add Buspar to the 150 mg of Zoloft I was already taking. It was absolutely horrible. She said that I should be able to feel it about a week after I began taking it. By the end of that week, I couldn't go through an entire day without breaking down and sobbing. One day, I was in the guidance counselor's office by third period just sobbing and hyperventilating, and I completely missed fourth period because of it. I felt completely numb and apathetic, and my depression was almost as bad as it was before I began taking any medication. When I told my parents about that, they immediately told me that I would stop taking it, and after a few weeks, I've begun to feel more like my normal self. This medication might work for other people, but for me it was the worst medication I've ever tried.”

InsertNameHere May 15, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “I have only been taking BuSpar for about a month but I have seen a rapid turn around in my anxiety. I am not cured, I still get panicked from time to time, but I am now able to deal my worries without getting lost in them. I used to go about life in a sort of depersonalized haze, but the medication has worked in bringing me back to reality. As for side effects, I think it is safe to say that I got them all in the first couple weeks. Nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, slight depression, etc... However, it was nothing that was too bad. As I continued to take it, the side effects decreased. Furthermore, the benefits that I have obtained from it far outweighed any complaints that I might have had. I would suggest trying it for anxiety.”

younameit · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Been on it for two weeks now. Felt benefits on day 2. I started with 5mg/2x day. At first, my insomnia got much worse but I stuck with buspar with the occasional assistance of ambien and melatonin (not on same night of course). Now I am sleeping through most of the night without sleep aids or waking up with that nervous feeling in my stomach. I am now motivated to do things again too. I'm really sensitive to drugs but I did up my intake to 7.5mg/2x day. My history of taking drugs with serotonin has been so-so, so I'm not over the top excited about this drug, but I am definitely able to function and my relationships are way better!”

Sierra921 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. Would have obsessive thoughts non stop, losing sleep sometimes. Started taking buspar 5mg twice a day. Hands felt tingling and head a little cloudy but no other real side affect. Increased up to 10mg. Immediately saw improvement, no more obsessive thoughts that would normally slow me at my work. Been on it for almost a year now and have no side affects.”

Syd · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

For Anxiety: “A very strange drug. I have been on this drug for about a week or so and my conditions have gotten worse. When I started it (10mgs, two 5mg pills a day) I didn't feel any different, although I noticed I felt "foggy" and not present. Around day 4 is when it started to bother me so I boosted my does to 15mgs but it made things a lot worse. I feel anxious, extremely confused and extremely foggy, almost near fainting 24/7, I just feel weak and not alive, like I am piloting a body in a dream. My doctor told me to continue it but I am afraid of things getting worse as it does everyday so I am going to start weaning myself off it in hopes to make things better. I was already foggy before taking this and I understand most anti-anxiety drugs will make you feel worse before feeling better but this is truly the worst thing I have experienced.”

Anonymous November 24, 2012

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I developed generalized anxiety disorder seemingly out of nowhere after taking prednisone for an infection, and for three months felt like I could barely function, the physical and mental symptoms were so all-encompassing. My docs suggested Lexapro but I wasn't depressed, just anxious; I did some internet research on my own and asked that they try me on Buspar instead. SO GLAD I did. I've been on it for six years now and I feel totally normal, like I used to before the anxiety set in. I've never noticed any side effects to speak of, besides the weird flushed dizziness when I first started taking it, which went away after a couple of weeks. On 22.5 mg per day but I miss doses all the time, to very little effect. Amazing med.”

Anna V December 12, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “I have been on Zoloft for 11 years. I have severe panic disorder and anxiety. I brought my Zoloft from 150 to 25mg during my pregnancy, all seemed well until after I gave birth and all my happy hormones wore off. Major postpartum depression and anxiety kicked in. I immediately went up to 150mg of Zoloft but that was not doing the trick. My doctor kept telling me to take buspar but since I tried to many medications before finding Zoloft fitting, I was scared to add something else. After a year of this roller coaster, I gave in, I tried 5mg of buspar at night, I woke up the next day and actually left my house. It is like day and night. I started at 5mg only at night then went to 5mg day and night. Don't worry to try it if you are scared!”

Blondebabe · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I started taking buspar with Prozac, & it’s the perfect combination!!! I got lucky & was able to feel relief from buspar when my nurse practitioner prescribed it to me. Both Prozac & buspar changed my life & makes me feel so much better from the awful depression & anxiety! I was in such a dark place, but now I feel a lot better!”

Cyndie1 April 19, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “I first had a panic attack last June & went to the hospital. They gave me Ativan 1mg. I took that for about 1 month and felt sort of out of it, so I decided to only take half and see how that worked. It did work, but I still felt like a zombie. I went back to the doctor & was prescribed BuSpar 5mg twice a day. I took that for three months, but was still having issues waiting in lines, being in public places & sometimes driving. I found I still needed to take the Ativan when I started to panic. Long and short the 5 mg 2xday would take away about 60% of my anxiety and I would force myself out of my head, so to speak. Recently I went back to the doctor & she upped my dose to 7.5 mg twice a day. I feel great! This is giving me my life back, NO more Ativan.”

JD · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 12, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “The VA has had me on Buspar for anxiety for over 2 years, at a dose of 10mg 3 time's a day, I feel nothing from it that I can tell, I do use lithium, prozasion and paxil, maybe they dull the buspar, I don't know but I know my wife and I are sick of the up and down moods several times a year, my wife and kids and grandkids just don't need that anymore, I have an appointment in a few days at the VA, I'm hoping the Dr will allow me to explain my situation past and present and work with me, with the VA you may have 3 different Dr's in a year. Everyone wants to reinvent the wheel.”

A old hippy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 10, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “This medicine is very good for long time control for GAD. I also take 900mg of gabapentin with the 30mg buspar daily. New laws and good reason forbids benzos long term I still take 2mg of xanax during panic attacks which after months on buspar they are very rare. Give it a try its a funny meds 30mg your fully up and 30mg later tired but a good relaxing kind takes awhile for it to help tho. My advice if you have anxiety is get off benzo's they will ultimately ruin your life and brain”

sivadycart April 5, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “I was on a few meds that didn't help much. But when I started taking Buspar, I noticed I felt more at ease and I am now able to do a lot more than I was able to do before. I suffer from severe panic attacks and was at the point of giving up. I lost friends and confused family members because they could not relate to my bouts of panic. Fear from panic limited me to do the most simple things like shop, travel or even drive in cars with friends. I couldn't enjoy a meal at a restaurant without looking for an exit. I couldn't go to crowded places without wanting to run. But now after a 6 weeks on this medication. I'm able to concentrate and enjoy life so much better. I'm nowhere near 100% but this medication is saving me little by little.”

Cicadia-322 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 4, 2020

For Anxiety: “About 2-3 years into taking buspirone I started to experience weird side effects. My judgement was clouded. Very impulsive My sex drive exploded and wanted to be naked all the time. Anxiety was horrible, was experiencing panic attacks regularly. It all culminated to me losing 25 lbs and taking a trip to the ER because I simply couldn't eat. Kept getting nauseated ALL the time! I was also in a mild depression. This lasted until I finally withdrew from it. (Spent 12 days in a Behavorial health unit) from trying to manage the withdrawl. It even prompted my septum to deviate which I'm dealing with now. ( extremely frustrating) I'm off all pyschiatric medication now. I'm the happiest I've ever been, my appetite is best it's ever been and my weight is normalizing. My anxiety is normal. I've learned to manage my feelings through sleeping, eating well and being socialable This stuff is highly dangerous, it's at the point now where I'm considering a law suit over emotional pain and suffering.”

Ju · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 26, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I was prescribed 5mg buspirone 3 times a day for anxiety. I understood that the medication would take up to a month to start having an effect. This is due to the need for buspirone to build up in your brain's receptors. I had a great improvement with my overall generalized anxiety after about 3 weeks. This is not a medication that will give you a "high" effect. Sure everyone's chemical makeup is different but this is not the reason you see so many negative reviews about buspirone. ”