User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 2)

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 1,067 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of those users who reviewed Buspirone reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
6.4
Summary of Buspirone reviews 5.8 1,067 reviews

Reviews for Buspirone

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar should be classified as a hallucinogenic drug! I took it for one day (15mg.) with Zoloft to get off Ativan. It made me lightheaded, nauseas, nervous, speedy, and when I tried to sleep I saw terrible images moving around in my head- I couldn’t sleep at all! These awful hallucinations gave me panic attacks- I was so scared! I also had some uncontrolled jerky movements of my limbs when lying down! I called the nurse line for help because I could not reach my psychiatrist! This experience was a nightmare! I also read an FDA report that stated that Buspar can cause Tardive Dyskinesia- uncontrolled involuntary jerking movements of face and body. Who wants that? Do not take it!”

Dan10804 August 1, 2020

For Anxiety: “I had been taking Buspirone on and off for about a year at a dose of 5mg-15mg per day and felt disappointed after all I had read it could do. It did have a numbing effect on the GAD but it was definitely still there and I felt more tired than it was really worth. However my doctor and I pushed the dose to 40mg/day and that's when it really started to work (like flicking a switch). The GAD is gone like it was never there (which is strange at first but also wonderful) and I am really no more tired than at 15mg (feeling better gives you a lot of energy). Buspirone isn't the one for everyone, but it can be life-changing.”

HMOney April 27, 2009

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “This medication is unbelievable. After 3 days, the anxiety I have been suffering with for over 15 years disappeared. I don't feel cloudy headed or unable to function. It's as if one day I woke up and my life is stress free. I did not suffer any side effects but I am also not on any other medication. I do not drink or smoke. I was opposed to medication at first, but now I am a believer.”

lady t · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 20, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have been taken buspirone for awhile now for anxiety. At first when I started I would be tired so the doctor told me to start taken at night. Now being on it awhile I take it twice a day in the morning and afternoon does not make me tired anymore. I absolutely love this medicine it works great for my anxiety. I'm on 10mg dose by the way”

Johnny America · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I was having ALL kinds of medical problems, severe cramps, inability to urinate, severe joint pain, headaches, insomnia, and more. I noticed an improvement immediately, most of my problems went away completely, and my joint pain subsided some. I've been on it for two months now, I feel happy, calm and 10Xs better all over. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is a terrible thing to TRY and live with, Buspar is the answer. I had tried lots of natural remedies, like 5HTP and many others. The natural supplements had far more side effects than Buspar! I hate taking medication, but I'm not sure how I'd get along without it. Buspar has changed my life. I'm not sure what started the severe anxiety because I have never had a problem with it, but whatever it was Buspar saved me.”

Theanxietyfreak · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have had emetophobia since I can remember (the fear of vomit). For the past couple months I have been dealing with horrible stomach problems and nasty anxiety attacks. When I went to the doctor they suggested I take Zoloft for the anxiety. Zoloft was the first SSRI I tried and the first night I tried it I felt extremely sick. I went to the doctor again and they put me on prozac. I took that the first day and felt okay. The second day I took it I couldn’t even get out of bed. I was super nervous to try anything else (especially SSRI’s). So my doctor prescribed me BusPar. It is not an SSRI and doesn’t have as bad side affects. I’m taking this pill 2x’s a day and I started taking last night and am now on the third dose. I haven’t felt sick at all and I hope it stays that way!! But so far so good!”

fiskalum · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 1, 2021

For Anxiety: “This drug is interesting. I am not going to say that it does not work, because when I reflect on the past few months I do see much growth. However, if you are a person that has constant negative/intrusive thoughts, this medicine won't stop them. Buspar makes coping with the thoughts significantly easier but the thoughts remain, you just won't react the same (if that makes sense). The drug is okay, but you will often be frustrated because you feel like it is doing something but not enough. In my experience, it does keep me calm but does not stop intrusive thoughts.”

ALZ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 25, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Out of the few meds I have tried Busapr has been helping me tremendously! I have initially started out on paxil then tried all three different doses of zoloft. I also had hydroxyzine added into the mix to slow down my panic attacks. My doctors were more worried about treating my depression more than anything. The anxiety was so crippling I was literally having panic attacks almost every day and sometimes more than once a day. I finally had enough and told my doctor to take me off of the SSRI drugs(I honestly don't think that class of drugs agreed with my body anyway) and treat just my anxiety. So far the results are amazing. I am now on 10mg twice a day and feel a lot better. Yeah I may have some of the random side effects that come with the meds but in my case the benefits outweigh the risks.”

harrisond0590 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 14, 2021

For Anxiety: “Gently, subtly helped to lift my anxiety & OCD tendencies. I take a very low dose (2.5 mg twice daily), and it's perfect for me; calms me down a bit, and allows me to focus on things other than anxiety triggers for long enough that I stop feeling anxious. My insomnia has also improved somewhat as I find it easier to go back to sleep after waking up. Some mild side effects, mostly a bit out of it 30-60 mins after taking a dose, and things can feel slightly hazier certain days. This drug seems like it doesn't work for everyone but it is absolutely worth a go and has been great for me. One thing I will say is stick it out a FULL MONTH, that's how long it really took for it to work for me. Some initial side effects included mild dizziness, weird muscle pangs/prick feelings (went away eventually), and fatigue. Overall great drug for me!”

bstyll December 4, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I'm on week 7, I thought would wait until the effects kicked in to write a review. Regarding the side effects, mild nausea and lethargy for a short while after taking the medication, nothing to avoid taking the pill for. As for the results, very mild, but I notice a difference. I speak more clearly and confident to people and I overall am less anxious. One big thing, my constant worry about my health has subsided. I am 31 and live a healthy life bit I get a stomach ache and think I have colon cancer. These thoughts I laugh at now. I recommend taking this. Only 8 stars because it is not a cure all, only you can be.”

acirod · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 18, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar DOES help with anxiety, but it you have another comorbid illness like depression, it might feel like it is not helping on that area. I was on this medication for a few months and my anxiety felt really better, but my depression was still bugging me a lot so I was switched to Zoloft. Buspar helped me with the palpitations and chest pain related to anxiety, I felt like I could think better and even breathe better. It was a great medication. The only downside to it is that you can get headaches or brain zaps if you forget a dose, so put an alarm on your phone!”

Callico4215 April 20, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I began taking buspar about six weeks ago. I am not a fan of benzos because they are addictive, I prefer to function with a clear head rather than popping a pill that sedates me so badly that maybe I'm not feeling my anxiety, but I'm also not living my life or doing much else either. Buspar has changed my life, I had completely forgotten what it was like to have a quiet mind until now. My obsessive thoughts subsided, I can leave my house without fear, I can speak to my friends and to strangers without profusely sweating and trembling, and I can drive again now that I'm not so easily stimulated. It takes a few weeks to feel the full effect, so hang in there if you just began.”

Em September 6, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Day three on BuSpar and I love it already. Feel more relaxed and not overthinking every little thing.”

Timtom · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

For Anxiety: “This medication buspirone was recommended to me for anxiety after taking Lamictal for around 6 months. During that time my depression got better but anxiety got worse. To combat this my doctor put me on 10mg twice a day. Unfortunately my anxiety appears to have gotten even worse and the side effects have been terrible even after 2 months. Sensations of dizziness, headache, disorientation, and disassociation occurred daily. Almost always twice a day, but sometimes up to 4 times lasting 30-45min but at most 2 hours. Abdominal pains, loss of appetite also. Physiological panic attacks have occurred daily as well. I don't act anxious but my body is seething. Heart rate, heated flushedness, agitation, fear, uncontrollable inner narrative etc. I feel awful on it and fear after quarantine this side effects will be detrimental for my job in commercial electric work with large machinery and power tools.”

DocJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “While the success rate for Buspar has always been approximately 20 percent since inception, it seems to be making a comeback with psychiatrists since they don't like prescribing benzos. Nothing has changed, this is medication with low efficacy and many intolerable side effects.”

Semiuseful June 30, 2020

For Anxiety: “This buspirone was prescribed during quarantine, so it took me awhile to distinguish the medicine's side effects from how I would otherwise be processing this difficult situation. Over the span of 2 months, I thought I was just increasingly, extremely fatigued from trying to stay at and work from home with a 2-year-old and 5-year-old, with no set end in sight. I went to bed early, didn't sleep well and couldn't get out of bed. My sex drive disappeared. I ate too much, and the consistency of rapid 20-pound weight gain in my stomach and neck was odd - my mid-section was tight and my throat was bloated (I later figured out this was water retention). Instead of my general happy nature, I felt listless and hopeless. Then I read about other people experiencing the same side effects, and felt relief that it wasn't just how I was now. I phased myself off. My sleep and appetite immediately went back to normal, and I feel energy and optimism again.”

Erika · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 1, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “My new dr wouldn't prescribe my usual combo of Prozac with Xanax "as needed." I was mad but gave the buspar for anxiety a try and it works out to be BEST COMBO EVER!! I actually felt euphoria and a bit light headed the first few days. Then in the first few months when I had had alcohol in addition to wine one night, I got EXTREMELY SICK. But as a social drinker decided to "try again" lol but only with wine. Everything has been fine since. I can even have margaritas etc again. (But I can't stress enough how scary and extreme that sickness was in the beginning, so drinkers BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL.) My family says they have never seen me so happy in all my 46 yrs. I am sure that I've never had such an easy going attitude. Things I used to take personally have no effect on me now. I take two 5mg tabs at night before bed. This works for me even though it isn't what is recommended (I.e.2 or 3x daily doses) No more obsessive worries, thin skin reactions or depression!!”

Pinkiechet May 31, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I've had generalized anxiety disorder since before they knew what it was. I have been in all SSRIs, the side effects have kept me from being on them long enough to see if they worked, then Ativan through clonazepam, still anxiety ridden, as a last chance medicine, my Dr gave me Buspar, at this point I was beyond jaded and thought "oh great another pill that won't work", but it did, at 30mgs split to 10mgs 3 times daily. I felt the cloud of anxiety lift after the first pill. I stopped catastrophisizing everything and got my life back. It is an older medicine, no longer a 'go to' medicine, but should be, the others made me zombie like etc. I had the dizzies for a week, pushed through, they stopped. I am now so incredibly happy and anxiety free.”

MCruz9 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I take between 30-50 mg per day depending on how I feel. Usually 15mg or 20mg at a time. Doctors should really look at this medicine for bipolar as I am severely bipolar (with anxiety) and do not like addictive substances. Buspar is a wonder medicine for some! I'm getting my life back! I no longer rage and ruminate, and I can also sleep, and think more clearly :D most things do not work for me but this one did.”

Brian · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 18, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I've taken Buspar (45mg daily, 3X a day) for several years. I have GAD with infrequent panic attacks and a mild depression. I was originally prescribed Clonazepam, and took it for several years, but a new doc convinced me to get off the benzos, which I managed to do and was no small feat. The Buspar has been an absolute Godsend for me. The Clonozepam worked, but pretty much flatlined my personality. The Buspar made me feel "normal" for the first time in years...my wife comments that she didn't hear me laugh once on the Clonozepam, and now I enjoy life and laugh all the time. Everyone is different, but this is a great drug for me!”

Stef138 November 16, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I started taking Buspar about a year ago for anxiety/panic attacks. I've taken benzodiazepines in the past but having an addictive personality, I had to stop those. Buspar saved my life. I have no fear, paranoia, or low self esteem anymore. I used to feel like the world was out to get me and that I was being judged by everyone no matter where I went. I used to have the most crippling social anxiety too, I'd avoid social situations because the anxiety was so bad. Luckily Buspar erased all of that for me. Anxiety still creeps up here and then but it is absolutely nowhere close to being as bad as it was before. No side effects. I love it and will take it for a long time. At first I did get headaches but they went away a couple days later. Love it.”

Jude29 June 22, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have suffered from generalized anxiety disorder for longer than I care to remember. Went through too many anti-depressants that all failed. I was told the Buspar was an "oldie but goodie." I was reluctant to even try another pill and was of the notion that drinking wine was going to be my alternate choice, (which I didn't care to start). Buspar has been my answer. It's brought calm into my life. I recommend this "magic pill."”

Aaa · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have not taken Buspar seriously for the past few years. I thought probably is enough. Now I have been taking it and I feel a difference. I feel like getting a new life. I am not worrying about problems rather focusing on solving them with planning. It a great med.”

Kris · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have been on buspirone for roughly 3 months. The first few weeks I felt like drug was a placebo pill. Zero difference. By the second month, with an increased dose, I could definitely feel some relief. (I had never been treated for anxiety and had no idea I had so much anxiety.) By the third month taking 15 mg and feel like my life is manageable. We had upped my meds to 20 mg but it made me very sleepy and made my face feel weird so I am sticking with 3 pills for now. This medication had truly been a game changer for me. I had no idea anxiety had taken over my life. I had been getting treatment for depression and I think it should have been for anxiety. Give it time. ☆☆ The only negative has been intense dreams. Very intense. I wake up often yelling.. I am going to see if it calms down but it definitely is freaky. It is almost like the things in my life that bring anxiety are trying to work themselves out. I would definitely recommend this drug.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “My 17 year old daughter was put on this Buspar a month ago it heightened her anxiety it made her have angry outbursts. Her entire demeanor has changed she isn’t my daughter on this med. Needless to say the doctor disagreed with me but I took her off it last night . This med is horrible !!!”