User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 4)

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 7 reviews 17 medications

Anxiety 433 reviews 63 medications

6.6
Panic Disorder 54 reviews 19 medications

5.9
Summary of Buspirone reviews 494 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Buspirone

For Anxiety: "I've taken klonopin and/or Xanax for several years for anxiety and extreme panic attacks. I'm a single female who was homeless due to the economy. I slept in my car. I was dragged out of my car, beaten and sexually assaulted by police on several occasions. I took antidepressant meds for years and a dr added Xanax after I got back on my feet, fighting suicide for two years. These medications were a godsend to me because they work quickly. I no longer wanted to kill myself. A new Dr however has told me I need to stop benzos and prescribe buspar instead. After 6 weeks I once again feel suicidal I wake up very very groggy it takes hours to be fully conscious. My muscles & bones ache from the moment I wake up. It makes me feel worse than ever."

Terio (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started taking Buspar 5mg twice a day due to anxiety of my Mom being in the hospital. Let me tell you how it affects me...positively. I take it along with Prozac 20mg once a day and the combination works WONDERS for me. I take both in the morning and the Buspar in the afternoon around 4pm. What a difference!!"

Motorcityirish (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. Would have obsessive thoughts non stop, losing sleep sometimes. Started taking buspar 5mg twice a day. Hands felt tingling and head a little cloudy but no other real side affect. Increased up to 10mg. Immediately saw improvement, no more obsessive thoughts that would normally slow me at my work. Been on it for almost a year now and have no side affects."

Sierra921 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2016

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have had anxiety for 10 years and had given up all hope for a normal life. Last year i was prescribed Buspar 15mg a day and it did nothing for me. On one of my many visits to the mental hospital I was told to try bumping it up to 40mg. A week later I had my first anxiety free day. It's now been 7 months and I haven't had a single anxiety day. I have finally started to love again, I feel normal. My doctor said that because it's not addictive and doesn't lose its effects over time like Benzos I can continue to take it indefinitely so I will. If you're on it and it's not working perhaps you may need more For me it's finally given me my life back"

Edsterytt February 22, 2016

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Well this medication improved my mood related to possible social anxiety but on the 3 day of taking I had some psychosis related side effects in aggravation then started to get very hyper but depressed bad experience"

185303pharmacydude (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I connect so much with "Frustrated Fenway Fan"'s post..I have almost disabling anxiety. I started having panic attacks at eleven years old.....I am now 33. The entire time I was treated with Xanax which I NEVER once abused...my former doctor abruptly stopped prescribing it to me because he caught wind that I had spent a year and a half fighting an opiate addiction, Suboxone saved my life...but although that is all in the past and I don't even take that medication anymore....it is on my medical history! Now.NO ONE will prescribe me any sort of benzodiazepine. I have just been prescribed Buspar. I pray it works. I just want my life back."

murphy's law (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "BEST medication I've ever taken for anxiety. I was skeptical to take it because of some negative reviews, but I figured, what the heck, what have I got to lose?? I plan on staying on buspar for a long long time. It's allowed me to be more outgoing and get involved more in social situations. Have a positive attitude, try it, and I think you'll love it too!"

G mc (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2016

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have been taking buspirone for about 5 weeks now. I feel so different. I finally feel happy and like anxiety isn't controlling me anymore. I take one 7.5mg tablet 3x a day for a total of 22.5mg per day. I had to start with half a tablet twice a day and titrate up to where I am now, because at first they felt like they made my adrenaline and heart race, even though they are supposed to do the opposite of that. I don't feel any side effects, except I do sweat a little more than I used to (which was a lot in the first place), and I feel less "sharp" mentally. But neither of these are to the point they really bother me, and they definitely don't outweigh the benefits I am receiving from the medication. I recommend this medicine highly."

FeelingLikeMeAgain (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've been on this going on four months and I am a big fan. It has greatly reduced my anxiety, at only 10mgs a day. I rarely have to take an ativan. I've always been anxious, but things got much worse when I tried different stimulants for my ADHD. Even with a low dose of lexapro, I started to have dramatic panic attacks. It was awful. I went off both with the help of Ativan, but I didn't want to become dependent on the benzo, so I took them as infrequently as possible (1/2 or 1 per day). I was still really suffering, and asked my doc about buspar. I am so relieved that something works, and that it isn't something I'm afraid of."

betterthanbefore (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I have tried many other anxiety medications. This took about 4 weeks to work but is great. I'm 34 years old and have had anxiety since I was a teenager. This is the best I have felt in my adult life. Also taking Prozac once daily. Great combination."

Myself again February 16, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "So, Buspar does nothing for me at all. I may as well have been taking a sugar pill all this time. My doctor felt that since I was only 30 years old, the Benzo that I had been on for the last 4 years that greatly helped me, was out of the question because SOME folks abuse it. REALLY?! If your anxiety is intense and life ruling like mine is, please look into a Benzo. Hopefully you'll have a doctor that is actually out to HELP you."

Frustrated Fenway Fan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Buspar 5 mg twice daily for possible anxiety induced difficulty failing asleep. First week good, second week less helpful for sleep, then onset of extreme hip, bilateral leg weakness with feeling of extreme leg muscle fatigue, start mid afternoon, worse by bedtime every night, required pain med to allow sleep. Discontinued."

Dobelady (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I started getting anxiety in 2012 and have avoided taking medication. I went to therapy and my symptoms stopped for a couple years, then they came back I went to Urgent Care because I couldn't breathe. Turns out I was hyperventilating. I didn't take any BusPar right away, but a year later I took half a pill when I had a panic attack. It calmed me down in less than an hour and I felt at ease. Since then I have taken it two or three more times, so I use it in emergencies only. Tonight I used it because I have hyperglycemia and anorexia problems, which trigger my panic attacks in the first place. I took half a pill 1.5 hours before my shift and felt "normal" 30 minutes later. It's a safe drug and non-addictive."

Avensnow February 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm very happy to say that at 41 I am free of Anxiety and Panic. I was started on 5mg , experienced side effects major dizzy like vertigo, but these are listed as side effects so I hung in there. Glad I did, only a week later no symptoms, no anxiety no panic attacks. Had some break through anxiety with stress from home accompanied by terrorism being covered by news ,doctor bumped me up to 10mg. This time no side effects , worked great. Right now I'm experiencing dizziness again months later, my feeling is I need to go back down to 5mg because it's now to much for my body. I do not take other medications, I feel this is important for it to work effectively. Seeing a lot of mixing prescription or supplements and buspirone having bad reviews"

Katleigh February 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started taking this at 10mg a week ago, my doctor told me to take it twice a day but usually l take it once a day when I'm at home. This is because after taking it I feel extremely dizzy, sick, sleepy & out of it, so I can't take it at work or school (even though those are the two places I need it the most). I hate it and I'm not sure what to do. It does help my anxiety but I would rather be anxious than to feel sick, dizzy and sleepy and in my own world."

kaymua (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have battled OCD and anxiety through my late teenage years and was prescribed sertraline. More recently my Mum has passed away and I started having panic attacks in the evenings, my Dr prescribed Buspirone (10mg) to me, to take twice daily. The side effects have been horrible, I started getting extreme outbursts of anger. The littlest and most random things would make me furious and even having a conversation with my father (who I normally get along with like a house on fire) would make me end up screaming and crying. I was terrified to go to work the other day as I was worried I wouldn't be able to control my outbursts. It also made me have terrible nightmares. I am now off it and feeling like myself again :)"

susieb142268 February 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "Been on buspar from last 1 week...started with 5mg in the evening for few days and now 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening. There were initial side effects such as dizziness and headaches dry mouth....but they are going down everyday. I would say this medication is helping me already..feeling less anxious. Even now sitting and watching game with 50 people in a bar :). That has never happened before. I am feeling more productive but I have to give few weeks before calling it a success.....will update in 2..3 weeks..."

jk whatever (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "My doctor first started me on buspar over two years ago, probably at 16. Slowly throughout the years we've had to increase it until about a year ago, when I reached the maximum 60mg and I had to finally ask my doctor for something else. But I mean that's what you get with medication, it's all pretty much trial and error"

idkwhattoputhere (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've had severe anxiety and depression for many years and have tried many meds. For me, BuSpar wasn't very effective, even at the maximum dose of 60mg/day. It also caused me very restless legs at night, which was extremely troublesome. I couldn't lie still for even ten seconds. I also got brain zaps. My doctor thinks I should remain on BuSpar, so these days I take only 10mg/day as a backup to my other meds. I don't have the side effects at the lower dose."

Serene Celine (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have nothing, but good things to say about Buspirone. It helps me a lot with my anxiety & it helps with my overall mood (drastically). I don't have any side effects. I think it is a great medicine."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started this medication on a low, as needed, 5mg dose back in August after I started a new job with a high level of stress. Taking it twice a day as needed worked for awhile with no major side effects. Working this stressful job full time, classes, and being a newly wed young adult was taking it's toll and I finally had a nervous breakdown at work, uncontrollable sobbing, hyperventilating, the works. I went to the doctor and we've upped it from 5mg BID PRN to 15mg twice daily. I'm currently taking 7.5mg twice daily to get used to the increased dose. The only side effects I'm dealing with is nausea, but it goes away eventually."

AnxiousButNotAsAnxious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "It caused severe anxiety attacks along with other side effects that put me in the hospital twice in 2 days. Rx (at time): Geodon, Benty, and Busiprone Dx: Bipolar 1, Insomnia, Anxiety, and EDNOS"

Anonymous January 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "Words cannot even describe how this medicine has helped me. For the first time ever I have hope for the future. This drug is a life saving miracle. Ive been taking it for over a year now and only bad side effect I get is I will get blinding headaches if I don't drink enough water but it is soooooo worth it."

Britni (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2016

For Anxiety: "I would give this a 0 if I could...I write this while I'm laying in a hospital bed in the ED. I've been on this for 3 days...the lowest dose 5mg which I then cut in half...after an hour of taking this my arms felt numb, extremely dizzy & feeling completely out of it...heart started palpitating, couldn't catch my breath...my BP upon entering ED was 190/100 & heart rate was 140...the scariest feeling ever...the only other Rx I take is levothyroxine for low thyroid...sadly I should be on something for my anxiety, but now I'm scared to death to take anything...so I guess I'll just suffer through it :-("

ddc419 (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Takes 6-8 weeks to work but it works better than anything I've tried. I've had anxiety for years and have tried a long list of meds."

InScienceWeTrust (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2016