User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 4)

Also known as: BuSpar

Buspirone has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 1,067 ratings on Drugs.com. 47% of those users who reviewed Buspirone reported a positive effect, while 36% reported a negative effect.

Anxiety
6.4
Summary of Buspirone reviews 5.8 1,067 reviews

Reviews for Buspirone

Anti-Anxiety February 8, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I don't like SSRIs. The fact that Buspar can deal with serotonin receptors without causing the loss of libido, weight gain, and tiredness makes it perfect to treat generalized anxiety. Plus it's non-addictive like many benzodiazepine for panic attacks. I wish they made it in extended release form, though my doctor said it's okay to just take my full dose in the morning - and that seems to be working fine for me. It's the only medication that focuses mainly on the brain's serotonin levels that I like.”

Smokey01 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 22, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar changed my life, no kidding. I have been on Prozac so long, but once Buspar was added my personality came to life. Not that I don't sometimes worry, but it is sooo much better to manage with the Buspar. I am not any kind of spokesperson. I have a friend who it didn't work for, but for me, it has changed my life.”

Bex · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 29, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I was on Buspar for 7 weeks. The first week was foggy, sleepy, high, sluggish, and no appetite. Then the two three week point I felt great. Until after the 4th week mark? My sleeping schedule was bad. I had arm tingles, face spasms, no appetite, not drinking a lot of water. By the 4th week I was a mess. I have never had such really dark thoughts before but on this drug for two weeks I was scared to even be alone because I didn’t know what I was capable of. I wanted to live but my mind would tell me different. I had high hopes but reading these reviews I'm glad I’m not alone. I just got off of it cold turkey, 6 weeks and 4 days. I’ll be back to update about how I feel being off. I hope this helps anyone. I felt alone and scared but if you feel this isn’t for you don’t hesitate to stop! God bless!”

Harley June 19, 2019

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have been on Buspar for over a month now. 5mg x2 daily. I was on Buspar several years ago and stopped because I didn't feel I needed it anymore, that was a mistake. I suffer from GAD which was destroying my life. Racing thoughts, stomach problems, constant fear and panic. This medication is not a Benzo so dont expect immediate results, for me it took approx 2 weeks before I really started to feel the effects This drug is not an SSRI and it hasn't caused any sexual problems for me as some SSRI’s are known to do. The side effects I have experienced are flushing and dizziness however they subside about an hour after taking. Buspar does have a fairly short half life and I can feel the effects diminish after about 4 hours. Im also on Valium 2mg (10 per month) as needed when my anxiety becomes elevated but while on Buspar I haven't really had a need for the Valium but I'm glad I have it just in case. I would recommend this medication for anyone suffering from panic attacks/GAD. Don't give up!”

Punkcowboy March 11, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “This panic attacks all hit me in August, it was December before they figured out it was anxiety because I had other medical stuff, wrong sickness. They started me out on Zoloft I was allergic then some other meds that had bad side effects finally my doctors try me out on Buspar. Finally after weeks getting the right dosage I have been awesome and healthy for over a month. This pill has given my life back, I was so bad I couldn't go in stores. Now I go every day and shop. This pill is awesome, it takes over a month to get build up or did for me. It was worth the wait, I feel so good I stopped it for 4 days I had panic attack then went back on and I plan on taking this.”

abeliever · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2021

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: “So I tried Lexapro last year for 3 months or so and it completely got rid my sex drive and ability to orgasm. It took the edge off my anxiety but the effects weren't THAT mind blowing, it wasn't worth the side effects. Recently my anxiety started flaring up pretty bad so I talked to my doctor who suggested I try Buspar. I haven't been on it long enough to really know if it's going to help the anxiety because it comes and goes, but I can say after a week that it DOES increase libido. I noticed I had the desire nightly (usually it's 1-2 times a week) so I looked it up and found this forum of similar accounts! I'm like, what if this is the answer to my problems... it helps with anxiety AND will help me match my husband's drive haha. I'm a believer!”

valj · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 26, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Buspar lifted the anxiety ever so gently. I take 3 10 mg tablets per day and it's only $6 per month when prescribed that way. 2 15mg pills a day was $45. As if the relief from anxiety wasn't wonderful enough, after the first 3 years I went from getting plastered with viruses, to just 1 or 2 a year. Think about it...anxiety causes the brain to send out massive amounts of cortisol and adrenaline, which seriously compromises your immune system. Less cortisol & adrenaline equals a stronger immune system. Then there's the enhanced sexual experience for a percentage of us...and that's a little personal, but very appreciated!”

Jay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2019

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: “Listen up fellas. I have GAD and panic attacks. My Dr gave me Lexapro and I was on it for 5 days. NEVER AGAIN! Although Lexapro really helps relieve symptoms of anxiety and panic attacks, your sex drive tanks and you can't have a orgasm. So I had to choose between side effects and keeping my sanity. I chose keeping my sanity obviously. I'll talk to my doctor and some friends and they were all recommending buspirone I started 5mg 3x day. I noticed it also helped with general anxiety symptoms along with helping me get more sleep during the night and my sex drive not only came back but it was better than it was before and I have nothing but good things to say about buspar on because it helps with my anxiety and my sex life is amazing powerful. Whoever invented the stuff deserves to be a billionaire.”

Finally Me · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2017

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Have had anxiety for many years, have tried numerous meds and none worked for long. Because of numerous surgeries I have a high drug tolerance and sometimes weird reactions. After taking Cymbalta for 3 years the excessive sweating just became too much, I am now on Lexapro and was using Clonazapan when an attack would start,concerned about addiction to Clonazapan my doctor suggested Buspar. I started with 7.5 twice a day did not feel much until starting the third week then 10mg 3xs a day. Did have side effects but was encouraged to wait 4wks, so glad I did. 1st time in years and I mean years, I feel like the old me, sleep through the night, no side effects. I encourage you to wait and see before you give up on it, for me well worth it.”

ANov · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 25, 2020

For Anxiety: “I was taking Buspirone for general anxiety and it caused really bad depression, intrusive thoughts, randomly would start crying and was waking up in the middle of the night in a full panic. The first 2 weeks I felt really good and by week 3 I started slowing down not thinking correctly and had a very dark cloud over me. I stopped after about 2 months and the first 2 weeks off of it where really bad. Not everyone is the same but take this medication with caution!”

Medangel1965 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 23, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I was taking Buspar along with Proactive and Xanax for 5 years...I felt great, so I stopped the Buspar. Within the last 2 months I have had to completely detox off Xanax, and it was a nightmare, I hope to never feel that way again...long story short, I'm back on my Buspar along side my Prozac and I can't remember feeling this good...The fog has lifted! !! My anxiety is all but nothing....I have never had side effects from Buspar either, and I take 15mgs twice a day. For those of you that have an anxiety disorder, this medication is definitely worth trying because you can cope so much better without all the hazy side effects from benzos. BEST OF LUCK!”

Carolyn Riggs August 20, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “Anxiety was eating me alive! Finally I went to my Dr to ask for help. I started with 7.5 mg twice a day and she worked me up to 15mg twice a day. I feel so much better! I'm sleeping like a log now because anxiety is not keeping me awake or waking me up. I do feel hot and a little shaky about 20 minutes after I take it but it don't last very long, maybe 30 minutes. I'm also losing some much needed weight. Probably because I'm not eating at night since I'm actually sleeping through the night for the first time in my life! This stuff changed my life for the better!”

Cheese February 7, 2021

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “This stuff isn't for me. I took BuSpar 7.5mg for two weeks and said enough. 15-20mins after taking it I felt like I was on an elevator moving up and down at warp speed. It made my anxiety much worse and it made me super angry. If I took my prescribed adderall with it then I was so annoyed, terrible mood, anxious, and tense. Even without the adderall this made me tense and made my jaws clench. It gave me increased body tension and unusable energy. I was always wanting to run a marathon but didn’t actually have the energy to run. I’ve been off it for 5 days and I’m still detoxing. Never again.”

PanicFor24Years · Taken for less than 1 month February 11, 2020

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: “I am taking 1.0mg of Xanax 2 hours before I drive to and from work. My general panic turned into a specific phobia of driving on the highways about 2 years ago. My doctor wanted me to try BuSpar, 15mg twice a day, to try to get off the Xanax. It gave me massive headaches, blurred vision, made me very sad (I am normally a very happy, positive person) and did nothing to help my panic. I have been on many SSRIs, Paxil helped me for years and then suddenly stopped working. I gave BuSpar a shot and regret it. Worst side effects of any med I have ever tried.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 18, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “BEST medication I've ever taken for anxiety. I was skeptical to take it because of some negative reviews, but I figured, what the heck, what have I got to lose?? I plan on staying on buspar for a long long time. It's allowed me to be more outgoing and get involved more in social situations. Have a positive attitude, try it, and I think you'll love it too!”

Checkerberry · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 16, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “The best medication I've taken thus far for anxiety. I'm on 60 mg/day split into two doses of 30. Non addicting, no sexual side effects, in fact this is amazingly free of any side effects that I have experienced. I have been on Klonopin in the past and overall I have to say that this has been the best for my anxiety and social phobia. The medical community is all too quick to disregard this medicine as ineffective. Its a safe medicine. You're not losing anything by at least giving it a trial. Its the only med that's worked well for me after trying countless SSRIs, and a few psych meds of other classes. Good luck.”

Anxiety Gal · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 15, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I am 23 years old and suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I did not want to be on an addictive med, and was very adamant about that with my doctor. I was prescribed Buspar and have been taking it for a year now (10mg 3 times a day) and it seems to work quite well. It calms me down and makes me think more rationally rather than experiencing constant worry and fear. I feel more free and open to life. Side effects I've experienced include dizziness, hot flashes and extreme hunger for about an hour after taking it. Taking it with food in your stomach is a must as it decreases the side effects for me. One complaint though, is short term memory problems and "cloudy" mind effect, but I will take that any day over my anxiety!”

Busparinlove June 13, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “One week on, started full dose yesterday. 30m. No side effects, and no haziness. I get slightly dizzy but doesn't interfere with walking. I have tried 3 others before this, And each time I had flu symptoms, couldn't leave the bathroom, couldn't work or take care of my children. This medicine has been nothing but great for me, I haven't had a headache or the tremors for a few days which is already life changing! I can focus, and I have slowly realized that my mind is quieting down:) if nothing has worked for you, please give this a try! No addiction to it they say.. I'm excited that I feel this great:) I can't wait to see what next week and the week after is. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, which is a foreign feeling. Good luck:)”

Phil BF July 5, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “This medicine started to wear off I think due to too many negatives over 1 month time and I was upped on my dosage from 20mg x2 daily to 40mg x2 daily 8 days ago for thoughts not right and anxiety plus depression. Everything is starting to lift finally and feeling great and happy. It was really tough 8 days so far with very LOW LOWS and I'm BEYOND happy with it. LIFE SAVER INDEED.”

mimi86 June 9, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I just started taking buspar and at first I was scared because I hate bad side effects and don't like to take pills at all so I finally took my pill 10mg I felt good at first then came the side effects lightheaded sweating and dizziness but after 20 to 30 mins later it was over. I felt fine went out to socialize and I couldn't believe it, didn't have a panic attack or anxiety attack they work for me.”

sag34mom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “CHANGED me life for the BETTER! Took a little while to kick in. Better to be on this then a habit-forming or dependent medicine..you have to want to change and then this medicine will work. Life-saver! 10mg once a day for 6 months now.”

Dino78 · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2013

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have been on many anti depressants and anxiety meds in the past but this one is the right one for me. It is the only medication that I have taken that does not cause erection problems. While it is no miracle pill, it does take the edge off and allows me to deal with things without anger. I am actually able to see the world in a positive light and not be so negative all of the time. I believe I am taking half of the 5mg pill three times a day. I was supposed to be up to a pill and a half three times a day by now, but stronger doses make me feel medicated and I do not like that. I am perfectly happy with the results and my ability to control my anxiety problems. My anxiety is still there, but controlling it is key to long term health.”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 5, 2021

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: “I am 72, taken SSRI's for several years, libido disappeared. Recently started taking buspar, after 3 weeks things started happening, and now I am back in action, not every night but, hey I am not 18 either and it helps with anxiety.”

TaylorB · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 3, 2019

For Anxiety: “I was very scared to try buspirone for anxiety because of the bad reviews BUT trust me when I say this medication has helped me a lot. I went from having panic attacks and anxiety everyday to living a normal life. I went from 5 mg twice a day to 15 mg twice a day. I went from quitting my job and having debilitating anxiety to getting back to a normal life. I wasn’t able to go to stores or even drive and I’m now able to.”

Rc9999 · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2014

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: “I have generalized anxiety, few panic attacks ever, mostly just obsessive irrational thoughts and constant fears which aren't normal. This definitely helps me calm down and keeps my brain quiet when it normally never stops. For about 2 weeks I would get spouts of dizziness, along with a feeling of restlessness and an inability to focus (felt very much like ADD) but it has been going away! This medicine helps for general anxiety, but I don't think it would do much for panic. I take 5mg 3x a day.”