User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 4)

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced 7 reviews 17 medications

Anxiety 424 reviews 63 medications

6.7
Panic Disorder 52 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Buspirone reviews 483 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Buspirone

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Buspar 5 mg twice daily for possible anxiety induced difficulty failing asleep. First week good, second week less helpful for sleep, then onset of extreme hip, bilateral leg weakness with feeling of extreme leg muscle fatigue, start mid afternoon, worse by bedtime every night, required pain med to allow sleep. Discontinued."

Dobelady (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I started getting anxiety in 2012 and have avoided taking medication. I went to therapy and my symptoms stopped for a couple years, then they came back I went to Urgent Care because I couldn't breathe. Turns out I was hyperventilating. I didn't take any BusPar right away, but a year later I took half a pill when I had a panic attack. It calmed me down in less than an hour and I felt at ease. Since then I have taken it two or three more times, so I use it in emergencies only. Tonight I used it because I have hyperglycemia and anorexia problems, which trigger my panic attacks in the first place. I took half a pill 1.5 hours before my shift and felt "normal" 30 minutes later. It's a safe drug and non-addictive."

Avensnow February 12, 2016

For Anxiety: "I'm very happy to say that at 41 I am free of Anxiety and Panic. I was started on 5mg , experienced side effects major dizzy like vertigo, but these are listed as side effects so I hung in there. Glad I did, only a week later no symptoms, no anxiety no panic attacks. Had some break through anxiety with stress from home accompanied by terrorism being covered by news ,doctor bumped me up to 10mg. This time no side effects , worked great. Right now I'm experiencing dizziness again months later, my feeling is I need to go back down to 5mg because it's now to much for my body. I do not take other medications, I feel this is important for it to work effectively. Seeing a lot of mixing prescription or supplements and buspirone having bad reviews"

Katleigh February 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started taking this at 10mg a week ago, my doctor told me to take it twice a day but usually l take it once a day when I'm at home. This is because after taking it I feel extremely dizzy, sick, sleepy & out of it, so I can't take it at work or school (even though those are the two places I need it the most). I hate it and I'm not sure what to do. It does help my anxiety but I would rather be anxious than to feel sick, dizzy and sleepy and in my own world."

kaymua (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have battled OCD and anxiety through my late teenage years and was prescribed sertraline. More recently my Mum has passed away and I started having panic attacks in the evenings, my Dr prescribed Buspirone (10mg) to me, to take twice daily. The side effects have been horrible, I started getting extreme outbursts of anger. The littlest and most random things would make me furious and even having a conversation with my father (who I normally get along with like a house on fire) would make me end up screaming and crying. I was terrified to go to work the other day as I was worried I wouldn't be able to control my outbursts. It also made me have terrible nightmares. I am now off it and feeling like myself again :)"

susieb142268 February 10, 2016

For Anxiety: "Been on buspar from last 1 week...started with 5mg in the evening for few days and now 5 mg in the morning and 5 mg in the evening. There were initial side effects such as dizziness and headaches dry mouth....but they are going down everyday. I would say this medication is helping me already..feeling less anxious. Even now sitting and watching game with 50 people in a bar :). That has never happened before. I am feeling more productive but I have to give few weeks before calling it a success.....will update in 2..3 weeks..."

jk whatever (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "My doctor first started me on buspar over two years ago, probably at 16. Slowly throughout the years we've had to increase it until about a year ago, when I reached the maximum 60mg and I had to finally ask my doctor for something else. But I mean that's what you get with medication, it's all pretty much trial and error"

idkwhattoputhere (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've had severe anxiety and depression for many years and have tried many meds. For me, BuSpar wasn't very effective, even at the maximum dose of 60mg/day. It also caused me very restless legs at night, which was extremely troublesome. I couldn't lie still for even ten seconds. I also got brain zaps. My doctor thinks I should remain on BuSpar, so these days I take only 10mg/day as a backup to my other meds. I don't have the side effects at the lower dose."

Serene Celine (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "I have nothing, but good things to say about Buspirone. It helps me a lot with my anxiety & it helps with my overall mood (drastically). I don't have any side effects. I think it is a great medicine."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started this medication on a low, as needed, 5mg dose back in August after I started a new job with a high level of stress. Taking it twice a day as needed worked for awhile with no major side effects. Working this stressful job full time, classes, and being a newly wed young adult was taking it's toll and I finally had a nervous breakdown at work, uncontrollable sobbing, hyperventilating, the works. I went to the doctor and we've upped it from 5mg BID PRN to 15mg twice daily. I'm currently taking 7.5mg twice daily to get used to the increased dose. The only side effects I'm dealing with is nausea, but it goes away eventually."

AnxiousButNotAsAnxious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "It caused severe anxiety attacks along with other side effects that put me in the hospital twice in 2 days. Rx (at time): Geodon, Benty, and Busiprone Dx: Bipolar 1, Insomnia, Anxiety, and EDNOS"

Anonymous January 29, 2016

For Anxiety: "Words cannot even describe how this medicine has helped me. For the first time ever I have hope for the future. This drug is a life saving miracle. Ive been taking it for over a year now and only bad side effect I get is I will get blinding headaches if I don't drink enough water but it is soooooo worth it."

Britni (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2016

For Anxiety: "I would give this a 0 if I could...I write this while I'm laying in a hospital bed in the ED. I've been on this for 3 days...the lowest dose 5mg which I then cut in half...after an hour of taking this my arms felt numb, extremely dizzy & feeling completely out of it...heart started palpitating, couldn't catch my breath...my BP upon entering ED was 190/100 & heart rate was 140...the scariest feeling ever...the only other Rx I take is levothyroxine for low thyroid...sadly I should be on something for my anxiety, but now I'm scared to death to take anything...so I guess I'll just suffer through it :-("

ddc419 (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Takes 6-8 weeks to work but it works better than anything I've tried. I've had anxiety for years and have tried a long list of meds."

InScienceWeTrust (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "I had tried about 20 different psychiatric medications before Buspar, all of which were at best minimally effective. Buspar has been the one medicine that has made a positive change. I feel alive again. I am not in such a dark place anymore, and my panic has gotten better. Although I still have a bit of anxiety it feels much more manageable. And I have only had to take 5mg twice daily! It has given me a little bit of insomnia, but it is well worth it."

I Approve (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

For Anxiety: "THIS IS A GREAT MEDICATION! I started off on 5 mg which didn't do much at all, so then I was bumped up to 10 mg and also put on 25 mg of zoloft. I take Buspirone 3 times a day whenever I feel anxious and it works so well for me. The only side effect that I have experienced with this are slight brain zaps, however they went away for me in 3-4 days! I recommend this highly."

lkdjflsdafj (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

For Anxiety: "I started with a new Doctor (addiction treatment specialist) I am getting ready to detox of Kolonapin, So the new Doc put me on Buspirone Ugggg I was on for about a week. I started getting very hot and Short tempered and extremely tired Very heavy head So I called my Doc He said to stop taking it. I was on 15Mg 2 times a day. Well I have been off for about 3 or 4 days the first day wasn't bad the second day dizzy queasy and extremely tired. Wow If I'm feeling this bad, still hot very tired my head is very heavy. Yet My Doc also said there would be no withdrawal. Best of luck to all of you. My heart goes out to you"

diamonddoll January 4, 2016

For Anxiety: "Diagnosed with having anxiety, depression, and PTSD (raped year prior and recently lost my husband while 6m pregnant). I take 10mg 2x daily. The problems I have been facing have eased up significantly. At first I had no side effects so it was a win-win. Now after taking it for 3 months I have many side effects and I am going to stop taking it. The side effects I have been experiencing are headache, weak feeling, intense sugar cravings, hair loss, slow response, extreme anger, weight gain. I was losing weight after my pregnancy, exercising, felt very healthy. Now on buspar I have gained weight in odd places like my face. I find myself wanting to binge eat which I hardly even did while pregnant. Slowness and extreme anger were deal breakers."

Loeyloey January 2, 2016

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I was on this back in the 80's while hospitalized for depression. It was a horrible drug it made my mouth dry and talking difficult. Also, it must have made me say things I don't recall saying because during one appointment with the psychiatrist in the hospital, he wrote a comments he thought I said which I hadn't (I later saw the reports)!"

quintenwatertown December 30, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Wait 6 weeks but it helps before then too. I have been on it at 25 mg a day for a year. Just recently I have been in a traumatic situation and I ramped up the dosage to 40/50 mg to help. It has been a huge help and I only have taken 2 Ativan during this three week ordeal. I think Buspar for me makes me tired when I am not anxious and is a huge help when I am. It seems to cut the adrenaline levels and that is what works for me without the sexual side effects that SSRIs have."

Wwert December 30, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "After extreme weight gain on SSRIs, I thought buspar would be my miracle drug. I was totally wrong. After day two I had such bad twitches/tremors and my jaw seemed to locked for short periods of time. Went to emergency due to the side effects causing panic attacks."

WInative December 19, 2015

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been on this medication for 8 months now & really like it. I take a combination of Buspirone & Mirtazapine which keeps me level with no anxiety. My racing thoughts are gone. I was waking up all night every hour with racing thoughts. Now I'm able to sleep & have a calm mind both while waking & sleeping. One thing I do notice is that it gives me the munchies for sweets. I'm working to curb that with healthy snacks instead. Sometimes it does make me slightly light headed, but to me that's a relaxing feeling that helps me stay calm. I'm able to stay focused and am doing better on my job & in my personal life than ever before. I really love this medication & give it a thumbs up for anxiety!"

Chaoz1313 December 18, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started taking Busbar earlier this year. I'm unable to work due to severe depression, severe anxiety, and PTSD. Initially, it eased my muscles and eased my anxiety better than xanax. Since I have been on it, my face is fat and I've gained weight in places where I have never had a problem. My formerly long thick hair is thin. My skin became thin and dry. At one point, I had patches of hair missing; through prayer, it's coming back. Today I was so disgusted with the changes and prayed for a reason as to why these things were happening.It came to me to look up the side effects of busbar and BAM, they were all there. Warning this stuff can cause alopecia. I'm going to stop taking it."

ThankYouFather (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2015

For Anxiety: "I just recently went to the doctor because I couldn't deal with my stress and anxiety. I have a son with ADHD and Aspergers he's extremely hyper. I love that kid to death but I would compare him to Dennis the Menace. After 8 years I think it just got to be a little too much for me everyday of constant stressed anxiety. So I started taking this medicine 5 milligrams 3 times a day. I'm trying to take it once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I have had no side effects and I feel wonderful! I feel like I have more patience to help my son and it has made me feel like a better mom to. I would definitely recommend trying this pill!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2015

For Anxiety: "I just started taking buspirone again so I can wean off of Ativan. ( lorazepam). I always had headaches and migraines but when I take buspirone it helps to combat my headache. My anxiety is decreased , but I'm in a cranky mood but that could be due to withdrawals from lorazepam. I totally agree with the fact that a negative review of this product could keep people that desperately need it to not even try it. Like the medic said, no one knows why a medicine especially in this class, works like a wonder drug for some and not for others. I've tried many and I hope this is my last one. I also take Effexor everyday along with some other non controlled meds for pain and arthritis."

Germangirl December 14, 2015