User Reviews for Buspirone (Page 4)

Also known as: BuSpar, Vanspar

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Buspirone.

Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced

Borderline Personality Disorder
4.3

Summary of Buspirone reviews 6.0 645 reviews

Reviews for Buspirone

BuSpar (buspirone) for Panic Disorder: "Probably the worse drug ever made. No help at all from panic attacks or anxiety. Tried the drug for months and all I got from it was vertigo."

ann445 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Today is the THIRD day I've been on it and haven't taken todays dose YET.. . The first day I took it I felt a little bit weird in my brain but felt great, the foggyness was gone. Second day, I hadn't the chance to take it earlier in the day than before, felt weird in my brain for the first hour then I felt like a million bucks, when I took it for the second time that day, I was almost SURE it was 8 hours later, iIfelt like I was going to die.. trembling, dizzy, nauseous. Everything was wrong.. then after a couple hours I felt like a million bucks... it just makes me suffer soooo bad for the first hour or two then it's GREAT. So I was wondering if yesterday I took my doses 2 close together yesterday? I just am scared that I'm gonna end up having the first seizure of my life or something...."

I have bipolar disorder w/ GAD (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Started taking about 4 weeks ago. I have bad anxiety that had manifested into depression. Doctor was trying me on lamictal, To help with my severe mood swings, and anxiety. I was on it for 2 months, I take this medication twice day. I notice I have bouts of being really talkative. Sleep is good, although I take Ambien. My over all mood has done a 180, anxiety level is maybe a 1-2. I've noticed a decrease in my appetite, not as hungry . Has not affected my energy level. I work out 5 days a week. My libido has increased, that may be from just being in a better mood."

Nija February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Have been on Buspar for a few months, and I like it a lot! It has made severe and paralyzing anxiety lift to a manageable level, even while taking a low dosage of 10 mg daily. My Dr. told me that I can increase the dosage, since in taking so little it doesn't rid me of anxiety completely (no med can). But I noticed that when I upped my dose my appetite came back more than I would have liked. Essentially, I think it works to strengthen my SSRI (sertraline); and I did have dizziness when I first started and felt pretty bad, but that's common for anti-anxieties and usually goes away as your body gets used to it. I do still find however after I take my morning dose (usually) with coffee I do feel a bit woozy but it usually wears off quickly."

soybeant February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Buspar* Took 5 MG at 10:00 pm and stayed up until 2 am the night before work (due to being very mentally hyper and aware). Mouth and eyes very dry the next day.  Felt very weird all day the next day. Very hyper.  Wanted to continuously talk.  Felt wired but yet didn't really want to move.  Hard to function at work, but yet was in good mood (almost felt drunk). Seemed like I was slurring(possibly from dry mouth?)"

AuntBetty February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've been titrating up on Buspar after going off of Xanax last year and then starting up with 5mg fluoxetine and 10mg doxepin. So far, this is working far more gently than the xanax. I don't have a zap of relief following by impending panic attacks within hours. I am much more level. I am having side effects of nausea, dizziness, and light-headedness for a few days after each increase in dosage. I'm up to 20mg 3x a day and I'm supposed to sit tight here so I'm hoping to be done with the side effects soon and get into a stable state. I had a ton of problems with withdrawal from the benzos so I don't want to go back to them; buspirone has been a great alternative so far. My anxiety is so bad that I'd rather be dizzy and nauseated than anxious"

OCPD & Anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "This stuff is HORRIBLE. Made me very irritated/jumpy/even more anxious. Felt like my mind was racing...felt even more overwhelmed. This is the worst stuff I've been on yet..I had to stop taking it because I couldn't even function right. This stuff is really, really bad.. doc put me on Lexapro today hopefully that helps!!"

AmberLP February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "My daughter, who has BPD, has taken Buspirone for about 18 months to treat her anxiety. It doesn't treat the full range of BPD symptoms (which is why I didn't rate it higher as a BPD medication), but for anxiety, it's the one drug she takes that truly does its job."

LiliPadTx (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "My doctor put me on this medicine on 2-17-2017 twice a day at 7.5mg for my anxiety and stress levels. Today is 2-20-2017 and I'm already having issues. I ended up getting extremely light headed, heart racing, sweating, and dizzy all in the matter of five minutes. I went to go to the bathroom so I could try and feel better. Next time I remember I was on the floor laying in a pool of my own vomit. At that time, I had no idea what was going on, what had happened, or anything. I ended up having a bad seizure. I was locked in place for five minutes, not breathing properly, and throwing up everywhere. I was extremely confused and exhausted like I had just ran a marathon. Went to bed and had another one six hours later."

Bee Jop (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I feel like most of the reviews that say they had panic attacks on it is because they had reduced or stopped a benzo Xanax, kolanapin, valum. I am on Xanax and feel a difference after taking buspar for a while. My doctor did not take me off the xanax or lower the dose but said see how you feel. I also have a non addicting personality but I am dependent on the medication ill admit. i feel that most of you should have started taking the buspar and took the benzo as well because you might be feeling the anxiety more because of that not the new medication. You are withdrawing. These medications need to be slowly weened off and only after the new meds have started working. I feel bad you guys didn't give it a chance because of your Drs."

peeto February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been on bupropion for depression several years with dry mouth being the only side effect. Panic attacks started a couple of years ago. Take Xanax and it works great for me. Last year the panic attacks started occurring more often with severe anxiety this past fall. I didn't want to get addicted to Xanax by taking several times or more a week. Started Buspirone 7.5 mg 2/x per day. I felt relief from my anxiety in about 3 weeks, but around 8-10 week mark I felt like it contributed to weight gain and bloating . Taking 7.5 only once a day lessened side effects. However 3mo. now weight gain is 5-6 lbs (a lot for 5'1"), bloated and water retention none of which is reducing with proper diet, exercise and increased water intake."

AnnieTdub February 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I left a review awhile back, but now I have to revise it. When I first started taking Buspar I was happy with it, but then it stopped working for me. I'm now on the max dosage of 60 mg. I take 30 mg in the morning & 30 mg in the evening, but it is not helping me at all. I still have very bad anxiety, panic attacks & paranoia. Since it isn't doing anything for me I will probably stop taking it."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've had panic and general anxiety for years. It's been exacerbated by hormonal changes and menopause, and I've had major trouble getting a full night's sleep. I have used Xanax occasionally and love the way it eliminates my anxiety, but I don't want to get addicted. My doc had me try a low dose Buspar and it didn't work for me at all. Gave me a horrendous headache, very very painful. I tried it for about three days and had the same experience every time. I had to stop taking it since this side effect was debilitating. I was hoping it would work for me, and so glad it works for others. Just putting my experience out there in case others have this problem. I'm trying Celexa now instead and have learned to limit Xanax usage."

Unknown Celebrity (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I have OCD-induced anxiety and depression, for which I was taking the SSRI Luvox. Luvox caused me sexual dysfunction (difficulty reaching orgasm and delayed ejaculation), so my psychiatrist prescribed 5mg of buspirone to take 3 times a day. This medication works well to boost desire and makes the orgasms feel good. I have since stopped taking Luvox, and now rely solely on buspirone for my anxiety. This medication generally boosts my mood. That said, I am surprised by the number of people who are prescribed this medication "as needed." This is not a benzodiazepine, and in order to feel the anxiolytic effects, it is necessary to take buspirone 2-3 times a day for at least two weeks."

R.W.J. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "It is too bad that doctor's are so freaked out about addictive behavior to the point where they are willing to let people suffer. Valium in low dose works and this is just junk. It may work for some but even results using test rats I have seen state they have low results. I resent it when a person really needs help for acute conditions and they are given this kind of low performing medication."

Valkyrie2 January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have bipolar disorder with anxiety problems. My nurse practitioner at my psychiatrist office persribed buspar for my anxiety. I got home took it and went to bed, only to wake up in the middle of the night with the bed soaked in sweat, i'm burning up with my heart beating so fast my chest was hurting. I went back to my old medicine after that."

LunarRevel January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've long used BuSpar, and it is an odd duck. Alone, it did little, but in combination with other meds it's amazing. Particularly SSRIs. It seems to amplify other meds, from painkillers to Prozac. It's not something I'm afraid to take, the boost is subtle but it definitely helps my anxiety slip away. I've not noticed any sick withdrawal efffects, being off it once for 2 months. I take 30 mg/day in two 15 mg doses."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started taking this medicine last Saturday after I had an attack and passed out on the floor Friday and was sent to the ER. Well they prescribed me this, I have never had any situations like this before, and since I have been taking it I have been so confused, slow to react, tired, dizzy, and can't even hardly function at my job right now."

Matt.Taylor January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I know this med doesn't work for everyone, but I really love buspar. When I started it, and whenever I have gone up in dose, I'll get a few days of headaches, but the side effects are so mild, and this is coming from someone who couldn't handle 5mg of lexapro. Buspar is the only med I take and I no longer have crushing and debilitating anxiety. I've got a totally normal level of anxiety. Best of all, I feel like myself completely (minus the anxiety, lol). I take 15mg twice a day"

Unfamousnovelist (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I started Buspar because I was having anxiety with the horrendous pain from gallbladder attacks. I started out at 7.5 for three days and then was supposed to advance to 15 mg. During the week of starting this, I had to have an emergency surgery for my gallbladder. When I was finally able to take this consistently, I found that I suffered from insomnia, felt restless and nervous, dizzy, and down right horrible. I have taken it less than a week and I have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow. If I stop taking this, will I have withdrawal symptoms? Or should I do this gradually? My gallbladder symptoms are gone and my body feels great after the surgery. Any suggestions?"

Why Me? January 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

BuSpar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "I've been on Buspar for 7 days, and I have already noticed that my life-long intrusive thoughts/rumination have died down a lot. I have also noticed a decrease in social anxiety. I'm taking 15mg a day, 7.5 morning/evening. I wasn't on anything before, so I have nothing to compare to but my untreated state."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vanspar (buspirone) for Anxiety: "Went into anaphylaxis after third dose. Increased anxiety. Had to go to the emergency room via ambulance. Mouth, tongue, & throat were swollen, chest was tight, severe all over itching, & itching throat. Found out this only works 50% of the time. That it's a hail Mary drug. It works on half of the people, makes the other half worse. Be very cautious with this one. Because it's a 50/50 chance."

JJann January 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I take it when I have an Anxiety - feel relief in about 30min. Also I take it before bedtime and I find it a very good sleeping pill. If you have insomnia- take 7.5 Remeron. It will do good! I promise"

FredBab January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I began taking buspirone 10mg 3 times per day and had it increased to 20mg 3 times per day. Buspirone only made my anxiety worse and gave me panic attacks daily. I am also taking fluoxetine and ziprasidone. Once I stopped taking buspirone the panic attacks stopped. This medicine didn't work for me."

Borderline45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "It's an excellent alternative to benzoids. I didn't notice anything right away. One day, a few weeks later I noticed my mind wasn't racing itself into destruction anymore! I'm glad there's no benzoid withdrawal."

DJ.HAM January 12, 2017