User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Learn more about Lorazepam.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 112 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Insomnia

Ativan (lorazepam): "Helps with restless extremities aiding falling asleep."

jbenr (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "It was given to me in the hospital to aid in sleeping. I woke up in another hospital bed down the hall. It was empty and I was trying to get in that bed. I had a heart monitor on, but I had moved out of my room, and was half dressed wandering the halls until I came on the nurse station. Why didn't someone know I was having an issue, because of my disconnected heart monitor? They put me back in bed and seemed upset at me. They never explained. I just took it once. I was awake but couldn't see or know what has happened, or about to happen. Could have walked off a bldg. "

Kaneohe January 1, 2017

"It's just like any other medicine. Works differently on each person."

Ben19811 December 8, 2016

"DO NOT take benzos for insomnia - they work great, until you reach tolerance, and then you go into full withdrawal unless you up the dose considerably. By then you probably will have already found the dirty underside of this terrible drug, which is agoraphobia, brutal insomnia, loss of motivation and stunning depression. Next, you'll find out that you cannot withdraw from this drug in a reasonable manner, and the required tapering-off methods could take years. During withdrawal you will have the worst insomnia imaginable, for months on end, and nothing will relieve it, except more benzos than any doctor will prescribe. Don't even start on this evil drug. If you think this is an overreaction, Google "benzodiazepine withdrawal"."

BenzoWD1974 July 6, 2016

"Ativan/Lorazipam provides a very sound, sustained sleep with few if any dreams. I have never had problems getting to sleep, but staying asleep was a real issue. Waking up at 4AM with an active mind and watching the sun rise knowing that I would crash at midday was a pain. Ativan (.5 mg or 1 mg splurge) helps me sleep until the alarm and I never feel weird or dopey in the AM. HOWEVER, be aware that your body and mind get conditioned, so don't take it nightly (or sleep won't come without it). The pros are the effectiveness and the lack of side affects. The cons are dependency/poor sleep without it. I use it maybe three times per week and it's fine, alternating a night or two. Never taken it in the day, likely never will."

therealmccloud July 1, 2016

"I have very loud tinnitus (hissing-ringing in ears) from exposure to noise in submarine engine rooms for several years. I take 1/2 mg lorazepam at bedtime to let "sleep find me". I have been taking this for 4 years and have NO after effects. I wake up feeling awake and good. Some sleep meds leave me feeling "drugged" in the morning. No so for Ativan. It works well for me and I can stop (have done so at times) with no withdrawal symptoms other than not sleeping well. Good stuff for me. I am not an addictive type and went thru high school, Navy, college and 40 years of work and have NEVER used or tried recreational drugs. Thanks."

TomVIZ (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 12, 2016

"Works like magic when you need sleep or have anxiety 0.5 is all I need I get the best sleep with it. Seems like I can never fall asleep at night I go back and forth in my mind about taking it because I don't wanna get addicted . But I need sleep so I take it"

Corvette guy April 24, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"5 yrs .5 works perfectly with zero side effects."

Marcusroz April 11, 2016

"I had trouble getting to sleep, getting a restful sleep and waking up after a few hours and sometimes could not get back to sleep. Even when exhausted my mind was racing a few minutes after I went to bed. I was constantly tired, had no energy to do much during the day. I was prescribed lorazepam, lowest dose to take at bedtime as needed. However, after a year I was having so many up and down days because I wasn't sleeping well every night (tried to take it twice a week, because I don't like to take medications) that my Doctor said to take it every night which I started to do in Dec 2015 and I have had the best sleep I've had in six years. I have fibromyalgia which contributes to the sleep problem. I don't have any side effects."

sleep great (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Ambien was making me do weird things, and it was anxiety that was keeping me up. 1mg of Ativan before sleep, and I sleep extremely restfully, with zero after-affects. Great stuff."

Raffaelo (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2016

"In a hour I felt speedy. I was up all night. Like I had a late cup of coffee. Three weeks later I tried it again. Speedy jittery all night no sleep."

Jeanred (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

"The strongest (for me) Benzodiazepine I have ever been prescribed."

SamHKz (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

"Took this with zoloft to get me out of a black hole of anxiety and insomnia after a terrible few weeks trying remeron. Withdrawals from remeron were terrible and I didn't sleep for about 6 days (I'm not exagerating). Was about to give up but my dad convinced me to try another med since I had an obvious chemical imbalance that wasn't correcting itself. Despite not wanting to rely on a benzo for sleep I really didn't have any alternatives and I needed help fast. Zoloft combined with this for a few months got me out of the hole I was in. Tolerance did set in eventually (about a year) but I'm working on finding something safer but this med essentially saved my life."

Brett84 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 18, 2015

"Is very effective in the beginning, but creates tolerance. Stopped working after 4 months. If you are a long-term user, try to take it every other night."

Room_101 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am going on a 14 hour plane trip and wanted a sedative. I hate flying especially on LONG flights across the world . I got Ativan. I took one (.5) before bedtime before I left home to see how it worked and how strong it was. Sadly I got zip out of it. I am super sensitive to meds.. I take an aspirin and I know in 5 minutes I am 'medicated'. SO I am majorly disappointed. Now I am even more anxious about my trip. ugh."

humbuggie September 6, 2015

"My doctor started me off on 1mg 3 times/day and I kept trying less (with doctor permission) and am now down to .25 in afternoon and at bedtime with an additional .25 during night if needed - it works fine for me and minimal side effects."

Senior++ July 18, 2015

"I've been prescribed lorazepam for six plus years. It started for what I found out was anxiety due to a very stressful work environment and caring for my aging mother...I couldn't manage life. I sometimes I couldn't sleep either. I started taking lorazepam as needed...approximately 20 to 30 minutes before an exceptionally stressful situation and it worked great. I was able to slow down, omit the anxiety so I wasn't reactive and make my points in a clear and concise form. I started taking them for sleep, to stop the committee from meeting in my mind 1 to 2 mg as needed. I never feel sedated in the morning they work great. My physician thought it would be prudent to transfer me to Valium because I've been taking lorazepam to long....now"

The Female Version if the Mad Hatter June 10, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It works GREAT!! I'm 32 yo. I have always been a very light sleeper. Toss and turn alll night. Anxiety causes me to lay there and constantly think about everything. I've been on Xanax and too many to name. None work as good as this. So happy every day that I finally get a full nights sleep with no tossing and turning. No side effects. Highly recommend it!!"

Nichole3232 April 30, 2015

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"i take 0.5mg at bedtime. It does make your eyes dry so I use a lubricant eye ointment. Works fine."

Mom two twins (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2015

"Gave me my life back. When my insomnia kicked into full gear I tried every natural method I could for only a temporary fix. After years of running on no sleep I ended up in an emergency room where I was given this medicine and have been taking it ever since. I am able to take it right when I go to bed and awaken normally. 1.5 mg."

Dinoscruzin (taken for 10 years or more) February 6, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've been on this nightly for about 4 years now because of back pain I don't sleep well. It does a good job of helping me sleep but now it is causing my eyes to become very dry so I will look for an alternative."

skiguy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2015

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have taken lorazepam now for a year only on and off when insomnia becomes unbearable. They are little life savers only take 0.5 mgs, took 1 mg once and had a bad day next day depressed and drowsy the whole day. Menopause is a challenging time with the awful insomnia. I have also taken night nurse and sometimes 3 mgs melatonin. It is hard to get doctor to prescribe the tablets but they are worth taking just to get one nights sleep."

phildar (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 1, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started taking 2mg. Before bed...able to sleep for 5-6 hrs. Feeling tired , fuzzy most of next day. Worried all day about sleeping . Improved sex life, greatly improved ejaculation control."

Kenamaro September 14, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was given Ativan for occasional use. I try to use it once every week or once every ten days for sleep. (0.5mg). I'm lucky that I don't have to use it any more regularly because I don't work right now. I find that it helps me relax to sleep, and I wake up feeling and looking rested. The looking rested part is important because it tells me how good it is at actually calming the anxiety. I know that when my anxiety is high, even if I sleep 10hrs, I'll wake up tired and looking tired. But I think this medicine actually does a good job of getting rid of that anxiety, so your body can rest and get into some level of "deep" sleep. But absolutely, really only use it on the day that you must."

Joe9393 August 9, 2014

166 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"The loss of my best friend has changed my world. I have the worse time getting to sleep because I can't deal with not be able to talk to her anymore. I pray a lot and say thank you Lord over and over like my mantra and sometimes that works. Now Lorazepam has become my close friend as it puts me to sleep and stops the racinG thoughts that are RELENTLESS! I take between 2-3 mg one hour before bed time, because I also take it for anxiety in the day at times. Once in he ER I was given 4mg intravenously and it knocked me out. I had worked a 19 hour shift and my heart was racing. I love my Lorazepam."

JanetCStone (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate