User Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lorazepam

Anxiousintheusa · Taken for 10 years or more July 1, 2019

"lorazepam works great, klonopine too, saved my life."

Digital · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have been using Ativan for sleep over the last few months and I must say it's been a real help. I strongly recommend that you only take it two to three times a week maximum otherwise you could become addicted to it and it's effects might no longer work. Moderation is the key here."

diamond May 30, 2019

"I am going cold turkey from lorazepam and it was such a bad experience of my life."

Nina · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 29, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): "I am writing this review to help those who may be experiencing insomnia, anxiety and depression. Mine was the result of extreme past and present trauma. I stopped sleeping completely virtually overnight after a series of traumatic events. I did not sleep for several or more months and began to loose weight rapidly I went from 60 kg down to 38 kg as a result and became very unwell. After taking myself to hospital numerous times I did not find adequate help for my condition there. Eventually I met a very efficient GP and psychiatrist which after much trial and error found help from being prescribed a combination of amitriptyline and ativan. Although I am still on the road to recovery, this medication combination has helped me immensely. I sincerely hope that no one on earth has to experience the living hell that I did, only to find help when it was almost too late."

Ball · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2019

"It did not help me sleep so l took 1 ambien at 10pm and if l was lucky l fell at sleep around 4am, after many trips to the refrigerator. I'm also on prednisone 5mg and enviros as antirejection drug. Nothing helps me sleep."

Cantsleep · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): "Can't sleep since taking Ativan I am getting to sleep at 5:30am?"

Working too hard · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 16, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan is the absolute best sleep medication. I sleep better the whole night and wake up refreshed. However, I try not to use it more often than twice a week. When taken more than 4 or more nights in a row and then stopped, I have severe withdrawal symptoms."

Eva January 16, 2019

"I've had insomnia for about 6 yrs now (ever since I started working shifts). At first I got zolpidem but it gave me black outs. Apparently I did a lot of stuff while using zolpidem, but sleeping wasn't one of them. I went to a sleep lab and they gave me a sleep schedule. This didn't work. I was tired all day and still unable to sleep. About 5 yrs ago I started using lormetazepam 2 mg. At first 2 mg worked fine, but 5 years later I have increased my dose to enormous and I'm still not able to sleep. Does anyone else have this same experience with long term use of lormetazepam. I guess I have developed tolerance. Any ideas on how to finally get some sleep?"

scrapper · Taken for 10 years or more January 14, 2019

"Have taken for 15-20 years. Cannot sleep without it. Have had no side effects or interactions with other medicines, etc. Am a moderate drinker, but take no other drugs that would interact with Lorazepam. Highly recommend. I take 1 mg about 30 minutes before bedtime."

JesseP · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 6, 2018

"I've had various meds over the past 31 years, on and off, for anxiety, insomnia & depression. I've suffered two bereavements this year - one of them was my mom. Lorazepam was my saving grace. I have 1 b4 bed and 1b4 lunch if during a day too if I feel anxiety getting to fever pitch. Works really well & I still function at work etc. You can certainly come off it but always under your Doctor's direction. Little by little. You may feel a bit bad as your body and brain adapt. Sort of anxiety/insomnia symptoms as side effects. They do lessen. You can do it. I did. And I have the willpower of a cushion !! Good luck."

johnAnon · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 31, 2018

"As with all benzos and opiates.. this drug was amazing at first. Solved all my problems.. then became a big problem. A problem worse then the one I initially had. Trust me, be careful.. after a benzo withdrawal you will be begging for the little bit of insomnia that started this in the first place. Whatever you do.. do not view this medication or any benzo as a means of maintaining or managing your condition.. it's a bandaid.. and any long term use should be done only as a last resort."

Scoob · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2018

"Works really well for me if only used a few times a week, as tolerance can build quickly. Almost no morning grogginess. I use 1 mg if I wake up and can't get back to sleep."

Ridzza · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2018

"This is my second night. My Dr prescribed me with 1mg but it didn't seem to work. So then he said to increase to 2mg. I had good night sleep on the 1st night at 2mg.. But on the second night after 2 pills of 1mg I still wide awake."

annie June 27, 2018

"This is the only true blue med that has helped me relax and get to sleep over all others I've tried. I take 2mg at bed. The one person who commented that it worked first night at 0.25mg wow I can't believe they would put you so low. ĺ have never heard of that and I'm a nurse"

Tricky · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Took 0.25mg to help with me sleep. It helped 1st night to sleep 6 hours but not the 2nd night."

Zends · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 24, 2018

"I have been taking Ativan for sleep for 4 years. I'm now taking 4 mg doctor says that’s all they can prescribe for Ativan but I sleep well he says don’t worry about the long term effects - if you need it, you need it. I appreciate him telling me that if someone needs a medicine is that addiction? No so if your on this for sleep don’t worry I’m at 4 mg my body doesn’t need more I’m taking what works"

Bkk17 · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2018

"This is the only medication that has worked wonders for my extreme anxiety and insomnia. I finally feel human again! I have had zero side effects from it. I had been on an SSRI for a decade and while it helped, it came with a dozen side effects and not nearly as effective"

wcforan · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 12, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I used to take sublingual ativan for sudden anxiety and panic attacks and it worked well and quickly. I did find it calming, and so I didn't ever use it for insomnia per se, I did sometimes take it in the evening to relax and it did a fine job of that."

Lori · Taken for 10 years or more March 9, 2018

"I have been taking lorazepam for many years I started with the highest dose my dr began to lower it until I was taking just half of 0.5 mg. I am afraid am I going to have problems. But I have been wishing to leave it for I long time am I going to have withdrawal. Please let me know"

Keli · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 6, 2018

"I started on Ativan quite innocently. About 10 years ago my doctor prescribed 1 mg a day for anxiety. But I had problems with falling asleep. I was told to take them at night. Then I became dependent on the to sleep. Years later I had to increase to 2mg together the benefit. Now, I guess I have become immune again as I am not sleeping well. So I am trapped. I don’t want to increase the dose, don’t even know if I could. No other sleep aids I have tried work. Don’t know the answer, but know I need sleep. What to do? ..,"

buddyboy March 6, 2018

"I have found that I need to take 1mg Lorazepam just once per week but I am afraid of becoming addicted, Could you advise me please."

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more February 27, 2018

"Severe debilitating muscle weakness getting off the drug over 6 month taper. Debilitating weakness has continued 3 months after the stopping the drug."

bill.b January 13, 2018

"Have been taking .5mg for a few years. Used to wake up at 1 or 2a.m. with all the lights on, so to speak. Am a stem cell recipient because of leukemia. Originally blamed it all on other prescription drugs I was on, especially immunosuppresents. But as I have been slowly removed from all these other meds, I still was experiencing middle of night sleeplessness. Have occasionally tried a full 1mg pill but saw no difference. The .5 mg dose does just fine for me. Remember, in most states it is considered a controlled substance, so DO NOT drive until 8 hours after using"

Y.ve · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 26, 2017

"I was prescribed Loraxapam about 5 yrs ago for anxiety & panic disorders that just started out of the blue - well the panic attack did - then the anxiety came afert was so frightening! . My doctor put me on three 1mg tabs three times a day to start with...and I sure needed them. I did have this problem for a couple months then..not being one who likes taking med and through other counselling help recommended by doc I was able to go between 1-3 a day till I eventually got to mostly 1mg at night. I do not believe a 1mg taken at reasonable hr of night can cause you to keep falling asleep during day..however I could be totally wrong. It helps greatly with sleeping as does half a tab also..which I'm down to on occasions only now. I did wean myself from one to 3/4's to half to 1/4 over couple of weeks just to be sensible but I can't say they're more addictive, and I don't believe they're harder on body than I've seen with antidepressants with people. But my caution here is..of course you do have to use along with other helps so you're not dependant on high amounts. I was having a script every so often to have on hand and or so in end to help me wind down and sleep..now I'm fine and probably won't get anymore! I was told doctors don't recommend these so quickly as they don't get the incentives from the drug company for prescribing them, as they do with the newer drugs."

ReservedGene · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "No positive effect!"

Learn more about Insomnia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)