User Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Lorazepam Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lorazepam

Nicole · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 6, 2020

“I was prescribed lorazepam, for anxiety attacks and sleep. The first five pills I had lasted a year. After took one pill I fell asleep within one hour and woke up feeling refreshed. I find myself using it once a month now. I really think its great short term fix when paired with a long term plan (citalopram)”

Fhj · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2020

“Took it at 9.30pm. Still wide awake at 3. 22am”

Jay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 8, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “I have a fairly high medication resistant (or I'm allergic or develope tolerance after using meds .. yes it's been hell and still is .. I'm writing this while admitted to the hospital psych ward) I have severe insomnia and not one sleeping medication has worked for more then a week! I took ativan sublingual and was up to 8mg in a week .. and it stopped working!! Now I'm on injections at night .. it worked for 2 nights amazingly!!! I don't have withdrawal symptoms like others have described on here ... I guess for me it's a great short term solution but then I build a tolerance.. sigh!!”

Ana February 25, 2020

“My experience is for the lack of quality in the drug. I take 2 mg every night. Usually that works but tonight and yesterday nothing. It's like it's like the ones I have got now are fake. So I take a chip or half 2nd one. Still nothing. I'm touchy about using this to much so it's not a habit it's the quality. Why does it have to be so hard to get a decent working medication? I won't continue to get this brand. I encourage others to stand up for yourself, if it doesn't work it's because is a bad drug. It's effective when you are actually getting the real deal. I really have insomnia, now I'm back up.”

insomniac · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “Ativan ruined my life. My psychiatrist prescribed me 2mg to take every night while trying out an anti-depressant. After about 7 weeks, I was addicted to Ativan, and when I tried to stop taking it, I had seizures and panic attacks. I had to keep taking it in order to stabilize. Then I had to switch to Valium and slowly taper off the benzodiazapines in order to avoid another seizure. It took me a year and a half to taper off, and I now have chronic fear, anxiety, tinnitus, and insomnia. I wish I never touched this drug.”

Sleepy · Taken for 10 years or more January 30, 2020

“I have insomnia since 2001; 19 years. I tried all natural stuff. Hypnosis. Exercise. Manual labor. Scented candles, etc... Ativan definitely works. However, as time goes on, your body needs more. I expressed the concerned to my doctor of 25 years. He trusts me. He knows I only take at night. I fear addiction. He said, “Well, you will live miserably with all night insomnia every night. Affecting your job, sport participation, exercise and time with family. So; you get addicted. People with diabetes are “addicted” to insulin. What’s the difference. Take the pills. Go to sleep. ”

Jake · Taken for 10 years or more December 11, 2019

“My shrink has had me on Lorazapam for approx 10 years, 4Mg a night before sleep. I have Bi-Polar disorder, anxiety, and depression, Now have Parkinsons Disease, plus many other things, I am 72 years old, male. I want to quit because my Parkinsons Dr want me to start taking Serequel, but I heard getting off of Lorazapam can be horrible?? ”

Debisue November 25, 2019

“Please be careful using Benzos. I found 1 mg at night was very effective for severe insomnia although it only gave me 4 hrs of sleep. I stopped suddenly after taking it every night for 2 months. Fell asleep one night without taking it and woke up at 2am feeling sick with my heart racing /pounding like a drum in my ears. This happened 3 times over the next 12 hrs. Never had anything like it in my life & felt very ill. Saw a sleep Specialist who said “that’s addiction & withdrawal”. So I tapered off the dose over 2 months and stopped taking completely. To avoid withdrawal now I take . 75 mg Lorazepam 4 nights and then at least 4 nights off taking Zopiclone or nothing at all. This regiment works for me and I’m getting some nights with no drugs thank God.”

dicky · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

“4mg Lorazepam + 6mg prazosin + 150mg hydroxozine... DOES NOTHING FOR MY INSOMNIA - I'm wide awake. My VA doctors are worthless and so are these meds. The system is broken for combat vets with real problems. They only care if you have the "sniffles" and OOOOOH better get yor Flu-shot. I haven't had a flu shot in 20 years and I've spent 11 of those in Iraq and Afghanistan.. still haven't been sick since 2006. ”

Krandsten November 9, 2019

“I started taken lorazepam 15 yrs ago. I was having severe panic attacks driving myself to E.R. several times !! Not sleep for literally 3 days Then with great reluctance one night in E.R. for the one hundredth time in full blown panicky. Th RN gave me this tiny white pill. I held it in my hand for an hour scared to take it. But man am I glad I did. I have been taking 1 mg Lorazepam for 15 yrs they work great. 30 pills lasts me 4 to 5 weeks I have never increased dosage and they work GREAT!! A little groggy in the morning but so what better then not sleeping for days and full blown panic. I do go 48 hrs sometimes without taking one or take one then day off then another. Cause everyone says thy are highly addictive. But I also take one everyday for months These things saved my life and I will take one everyday or every other on occasion for the rest of my life!! My Dr. Said DO NOT LET FEAR of addiction stop you from taking one.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 14, 2019

“I took lorazepam about three nights in a row and each time It did not help me sleep at all which was very disappointing but it did help with my anxiety at least.”

Sadnanxious October 2, 2019

“I have suffered from anxiety, insomnia and restless leg syndrome for over 15 years. I was lucky to have started on ativan .5 twice a day back then and it has helped me tremendously. However on the 12th of Sept my big brother, age 55 committed suicide unfortunately. And .5 was worthless for that. So dr. Just raised it to 1g 3x's a day. And tonight it still hasn't been helping. I just hope I get some sleep soon”

becky · Taken for 10 years or more September 22, 2019

“I have been using this med for sleep, now, for about 30 years, believe it or not. Started on it with anxiety attacks and continued on it for lack of sleep. I take 1 mg. every nite and that is it. There are a few nites when it doesn't work, but for the most part, I am sound asleep within 1/hr. I should take it earlier, but I take it about 10:30 or so, read, turn off the lite and am soon asleep. I am somewhat sleepy still during the day, but that's better than being exhausted for days on end for lack of sleep.”

Kramer August 12, 2019

“Lorazepam helps 80 % of the time. I say this because if I am extremely anxious it won’t help unless I take more than a usual dose. Zoplicone works even better. Each person has a different experience. I only take half of their smallest dose. Also I limit my usage to 2 times week. What I take every night is seroquel. It is usually used for mental illness( bipolar) but in high dose. In a very small dose many docs recommend it for sleep but unlike the other 2 it is not addictive and you don’t have to increase the dose overtime. If I take half of their lowest dose, I sleep very well 5 or 6 nights a week, but I am finding a half is too much for me and can be quite depressed first thing in the morn. I am trying a quarter as I am running out of solutions. As mentioned, everyone has a different experience depending on their physical and mental make up. I have tried meditation, herbal teas, valerian root, not strong enough.”

Bob54 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2019

“It works well...but getting off makes the original insomnia much worse plus more. I was battling chronic pain and insomnia and prescribed this for 2 weeks, 2 to 3 days in a row max. Day 1, 1mg gave me 7 hrs great sleep. Day 2, thought I'd wind down slowly, 1/2 mg, 6-7 hrs, then 1/4 tablet I only got 2 1/2 hrs... even less than the 4 to 5 broken hours I was getting prior. I worked back to 4 to 5 hrs, then a few days later developed disassociation and anxiety. Worked through that, back on pills to combat pain and sleep. Then got hit with depression. It wasn't until it was too late I realised there was a pattern...3 to 4 days after each time I stopped.... that's when side effects are at the worst. Then I was screwed, cycled through various alternatives which made things worse and had to start taking Lorazepam daily as I could only sleep for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hrs a night by that point. Then finally over a month I started paroxetine and CBT and I slowly weaned me off. Stay away especially if prone to anxiety or depression.”

Anxiousintheusa · Taken for 10 years or more July 1, 2019

“lorazepam works great, klonopine too, saved my life.”

Digital · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 22, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I have been using Ativan for sleep over the last few months and I must say it's been a real help. I strongly recommend that you only take it two to three times a week maximum otherwise you could become addicted to it and it's effects might no longer work. Moderation is the key here.”

diamond May 30, 2019

“I am going cold turkey from lorazepam and it was such a bad experience of my life.”

Nina · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 29, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I am writing this review to help those who may be experiencing insomnia, anxiety and depression. Mine was the result of extreme past and present trauma. I stopped sleeping completely virtually overnight after a series of traumatic events. I did not sleep for several or more months and began to loose weight rapidly I went from 60 kg down to 38 kg as a result and became very unwell. After taking myself to hospital numerous times I did not find adequate help for my condition there. Eventually I met a very efficient GP and psychiatrist which after much trial and error found help from being prescribed a combination of amitriptyline and ativan. Although I am still on the road to recovery, this medication combination has helped me immensely. I sincerely hope that no one on earth has to experience the living hell that I did, only to find help when it was almost too late.”

Ball · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2019

“It did not help me sleep so l took 1 ambien at 10pm and if l was lucky l fell at sleep around 4am, after many trips to the refrigerator. I'm also on prednisone 5mg and enviros as antirejection drug. Nothing helps me sleep.”

Cantsleep · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “Can't sleep since taking Ativan I am getting to sleep at 5:30am?”

Working too hard · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 16, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “Ativan is the absolute best sleep medication. I sleep better the whole night and wake up refreshed. However, I try not to use it more often than twice a week. When taken more than 4 or more nights in a row and then stopped, I have severe withdrawal symptoms.”

Eva January 16, 2019

“I've had insomnia for about 6 yrs now (ever since I started working shifts). At first I got zolpidem but it gave me black outs. Apparently I did a lot of stuff while using zolpidem, but sleeping wasn't one of them. I went to a sleep lab and they gave me a sleep schedule. This didn't work. I was tired all day and still unable to sleep. About 5 yrs ago I started using lormetazepam 2 mg. At first 2 mg worked fine, but 5 years later I have increased my dose to enormous and I'm still not able to sleep. Does anyone else have this same experience with long term use of lormetazepam. I guess I have developed tolerance. Any ideas on how to finally get some sleep?”

scrapper · Taken for 10 years or more January 14, 2019

“Have taken for 15-20 years. Cannot sleep without it. Have had no side effects or interactions with other medicines, etc. Am a moderate drinker, but take no other drugs that would interact with Lorazepam. Highly recommend. I take 1 mg about 30 minutes before bedtime.”

JesseP · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 6, 2018

“I've had various meds over the past 31 years, on and off, for anxiety, insomnia & depression. I've suffered two bereavements this year - one of them was my mom. Lorazepam was my saving grace. I have 1 b4 bed and 1b4 lunch if during a day too if I feel anxiety getting to fever pitch. Works really well & I still function at work etc. You can certainly come off it but always under your Doctor's direction. Little by little. You may feel a bit bad as your body and brain adapt. Sort of anxiety/insomnia symptoms as side effects. They do lessen. You can do it. I did. And I have the willpower of a cushion !! Good luck.”

Learn more about Insomnia

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)