User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Insomnia

"I have been taking Ativan for sleep for 4 years. I'm now taking 4 mg doctor says that’s all they can prescribe for Ativan but I sleep well he says don’t worry about the long term effects - if you need it, you need it. I appreciate him telling me that if someone needs a medicine is that addiction? No so if your on this for sleep don’t worry I’m at 4 mg my body doesn’t need more I’m taking what works"

Zends (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2018

"This is the only medication that has worked wonders for my extreme anxiety and insomnia. I finally feel human again! I have had zero side effects from it. I had been on an SSRI for a decade and while it helped, it came with a dozen side effects and not nearly as effective"

Bkk17 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I used to take sublingual ativan for sudden anxiety and panic attacks and it worked well and quickly. I did find it calming, and so I didn't ever use it for insomnia per se, I did sometimes take it in the evening to relax and it did a fine job of that."

wcforan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2018

"I have been taking lorazepam for many years I started with the highest dose my dr began to lower it until I was taking just half of 0.5 mg. I am afraid am I going to have problems. But I have been wishing to leave it for I long time am I going to have withdrawal. Please let me know"

Lori (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2018

"I started on Ativan quite innocently. About 10 years ago my doctor prescribed 1 mg a day for anxiety. But I had problems with falling asleep. I was told to take them at night. Then I became dependent on the to sleep. Years later I had to increase to 2mg together the benefit. Now, I guess I have become immune again as I am not sleeping well. So I am trapped. I don’t want to increase the dose, don’t even know if I could. No other sleep aids I have tried work. Don’t know the answer, but know I need sleep. What to do? ..,"

Keli (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2018

"I have found that I need to take 1mg Lorazepam just once per week but I am afraid of becoming addicted, Could you advise me please."

buddyboy March 6, 2018

"Severe debilitating muscle weakness getting off the drug over 6 month taper. Debilitating weakness has continued 3 months after the stopping the drug."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 27, 2018

"Have been taking .5mg for a few years. Used to wake up at 1 or 2a.m. with all the lights on, so to speak. Am a stem cell recipient because of leukemia. Originally blamed it all on other prescription drugs I was on, especially immunosuppresents. But as I have been slowly removed from all these other meds, I still was experiencing middle of night sleeplessness. Have occasionally tried a full 1mg pill but saw no difference. The .5 mg dose does just fine for me. Remember, in most states it is considered a controlled substance, so DO NOT drive until 8 hours after using"

bill.b January 13, 2018

"I was prescribed Loraxapam about 5 yrs ago for anxiety & panic disorders that just started out of the blue - well the panic attack did - then the anxiety came afert was so frightening! . My doctor put me on three 1mg tabs three times a day to start with...and I sure needed them. I did have this problem for a couple months then..not being one who likes taking med and through other counselling help recommended by doc I was able to go between 1-3 a day till I eventually got to mostly 1mg at night. I do not believe a 1mg taken at reasonable hr of night can cause you to keep falling asleep during day..however I could be totally wrong. It helps greatly with sleeping as does half a tab also..which I'm down to on occasions only now. I did wean myself from one to 3/4's to half to 1/4 over couple of weeks just to be sensible but I can't say they're more addictive, and I don't believe they're harder on body than I've seen with antidepressants with people. But my caution here is..of course you do have to use along with other helps so you're not dependant on high amounts. I was having a script every so often to have on hand and or so in end to help me wind down and sleep..now I'm fine and probably won't get anymore! I was told doctors don't recommend these so quickly as they don't get the incentives from the drug company for prescribing them, as they do with the newer drugs."

Y.ve (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "No positive effect!"

ReservedGene (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2017

"I have not put anything on sites like this but really want input. I have been dealing with medical issues for 3 months which required taking meds during the night which disrupted my sleep. My health is getting back on track but I am was not sleeping well. My Dr prescribed lorazepam 1 mg at bedtime. It works pretty well by giving me sleep however I am out of it almost the entire day. Around 4pm I start to feel ok again so I get to have a 6 hour window of a good day. I have read so many of all of your reviews. I am concerned about addiction and withdrawal as I have not taken very many meds like this. The Dr wrote prescription for 25 days. Would like suggestions; should I stay daily with 1 mg or skip nights or cut in half sometimes? I've used it for 1 week so far"

Very sleepy October 10, 2017

"Tried other drugs for sleeping but Lorazepam works the best! I take every night, an hour before bedtime and sleep 6 to 8 hours a night. I have a transplanted kidney, For me it has worked very well"

Hai uut Mersele (taken for 10 years or more) October 9, 2017

"42 y.o. Female with anxiety and insomnia. Taking Lorazepam (0.25-0.5mg) before bed. Works very well for me. No side effects, lowers anxiety level and helps me to sleep. Never had a need to take more, only less and all depending on stress levels at home. Went for a long trip and forgot it, no withdrawal symptoms. 3 years and not planning to stop unless something better comes around."

Sherry5678 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

"I have bad anxiety and am severely depressed and have bad insomnia. Doctor prescribed me Ativan. I took one at night to help me sleep. It helped me sleep alright all night. Woke up had a coffee then promptly fell asleep again had lunch at 1130 was up for an hour and a half. I then promptly fell asleep again the whole afternoon. That is the one and only time I took one. I told my GP I was prescribed this and told him I am not taking anymore as all I do is sleep. I do not know what is worse insomnia or sleeping all the time. He then told me to keep taking it what did he not understand. So I am not taking it anymore and will just deal with it on my own with no pills."

SarahArk (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

"I have taken benzos on and off for most of my adult life, for insomnia/anxiety/panic attacks. I will start off by saying I am terrified of hypnotic sleeping pills (Z drugs etc) they make me stupid the next day which I can't deal with. I've been prescribed various benzos such as Ativan, Xanax, Klonopin, Restoril, out of all of them I find lorazepam (Ativan) is the best. I don't get a 'high' feeling from it, it just relaxes me enough to get some peaceful sleep and I have no side effects the next day. Xanax makes me feel high, and Restoril makes me high and binge eat - not good at all. Unlike other benzos, you can take your Ativan pill sublingually as they don't have a bitter taste; this makes them work quickly."

Ann7013 June 28, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have been taking 1 1/2 mg every other night for sleep for the past 3 years. I have tried my other drugs for sleep and ativan is the only one that works consistently. Because of its addiction potential I take it only every other night. Also I have not had to increase the dosage in 3 years, which I believe is a result of not taking it every night. It is easier to tolerate my non-Ativan night of insomnia when I know I will be sleeping well the next night."

bashbish (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2017

"Stay away from this drug it builds up tolerance and then you'll have excruciating withdrawals"

Anonymous June 9, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I rarely have trouble falling asleep so that's not why I use it. I use it to stay asleep if I wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason. There are times when I wake up 2-3 hours before I want to and my brain shifts into overdrive and I can't get back to sleep, or if I do, it takes me about an hour. This medication eliminates that. I only use it if I've had a few nights in a row like that. Then I get caught up and wake up rested. I would never feel comfortable about using it nightly. Thankfully I don't need to. 0.5mg is all it takes for me. I'm 5'3" about 130 give or take 5lbs. A bottle of 30 lasts me several weeks or a few months."

Pam, RN (use to stay asleep) (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2017

"It has worked well for about 12 years as treatment for insomnia at 2 mg. with no side effects. Lately it has lost its effectiveness and all other drugs I have tried, including Ambien, do not work at all. I am wondering if it is safe to take in higher dosage for a long term. Lack of sleep is a terrible curse, although oddly I have little or no fatigue even though I am 68."

P Dawg April 24, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was prescribed Ativan (aka Lorezapam) because I had a head injury and my Doctor presumably thought that I had a very high level of anxiety (I wasn't getting enough sleep with the head injury so the Doctors perception was incorrect), but once I started using Ativan sleep woes disappeared completely of which I had always had problems staying asleep for virtually all of my life ! Ativan (Lorezapam) puts you into a "deep" sleep, you don't wake up during the middle of the night (Or late night for that matter!), cuts dreaming down to virtually zero and is THE BEST SLEEP MEDICATION I HAVE "EVER" SEEN !!! My prescription was for 1mg and to be taken 1 hour before going to sleep which is exactly what I did ! Effective Rating = "10" !"

RickS64 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "Helps with restless extremities aiding falling asleep."

jbenr (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "It was given to me in the hospital to aid in sleeping. I woke up in another hospital bed down the hall. It was empty and I was trying to get in that bed. I had a heart monitor on, but I had moved out of my room, and was half dressed wandering the halls until I came on the nurse station. Why didn't someone know I was having an issue, because of my disconnected heart monitor? They put me back in bed and seemed upset at me. They never explained. I just took it once. I was awake but couldn't see or know what has happened, or about to happen. Could have walked off a bldg. "

Kaneohe January 1, 2017

"It's just like any other medicine. Works differently on each person."

Ben19811 December 8, 2016

"DO NOT take benzos for insomnia - they work great, until you reach tolerance, and then you go into full withdrawal unless you up the dose considerably. By then you probably will have already found the dirty underside of this terrible drug, which is agoraphobia, brutal insomnia, loss of motivation and stunning depression. Next, you'll find out that you cannot withdraw from this drug in a reasonable manner, and the required tapering-off methods could take years. During withdrawal you will have the worst insomnia imaginable, for months on end, and nothing will relieve it, except more benzos than any doctor will prescribe. Don't even start on this evil drug. If you think this is an overreaction, Google "benzodiazepine withdrawal"."

BenzoWD1974 July 6, 2016

"Ativan/Lorazipam provides a very sound, sustained sleep with few if any dreams. I have never had problems getting to sleep, but staying asleep was a real issue. Waking up at 4AM with an active mind and watching the sun rise knowing that I would crash at midday was a pain. Ativan (.5 mg or 1 mg splurge) helps me sleep until the alarm and I never feel weird or dopey in the AM. HOWEVER, be aware that your body and mind get conditioned, so don't take it nightly (or sleep won't come without it). The pros are the effectiveness and the lack of side affects. The cons are dependency/poor sleep without it. I use it maybe three times per week and it's fine, alternating a night or two. Never taken it in the day, likely never will."

therealmccloud July 1, 2016