User Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Insomnia

Also known as: Ativan

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Lorazepam

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan is the absolute best sleep medication. I sleep better the whole night and wake up refreshed. However, I try not to use it more often than twice a week. When taken more than 4 or more nights in a row and then stopped, I have severe withdrawal symptoms."

Working too hard (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2019

"I've had insomnia for about 6 yrs now (ever since I started working shifts). At first I got zolpidem but it gave me black outs. Apparently I did a lot of stuff while using zolpidem, but sleeping wasn't one of them. I went to a sleep lab and they gave me a sleep schedule. This didn't work. I was tired all day and still unable to sleep. About 5 yrs ago I started using lormetazepam 2 mg. At first 2 mg worked fine, but 5 years later I have increased my dose to enormous and I'm still not able to sleep. Does anyone else have this same experience with long term use of lormetazepam. I guess I have developed tolerance. Any ideas on how to finally get some sleep?"

Eva January 16, 2019

"Have taken for 15-20 years. Cannot sleep without it. Have had no side effects or interactions with other medicines, etc. Am a moderate drinker, but take no other drugs that would interact with Lorazepam. Highly recommend. I take 1 mg about 30 minutes before bedtime."

scrapper (taken for 10 years or more) January 14, 2019

"I've had various meds over the past 31 years, on and off, for anxiety, insomnia & depression. I've suffered two bereavements this year - one of them was my mom. Lorazepam was my saving grace. I have 1 b4 bed and 1b4 lunch if during a day too if I feel anxiety getting to fever pitch. Works really well & I still function at work etc. You can certainly come off it but always under your Doctor's direction. Little by little. You may feel a bit bad as your body and brain adapt. Sort of anxiety/insomnia symptoms as side effects. They do lessen. You can do it. I did. And I have the willpower of a cushion !! Good luck."

JesseP (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2018

"As with all benzos and opiates.. this drug was amazing at first. Solved all my problems.. then became a big problem. A problem worse then the one I initially had. Trust me, be careful.. after a benzo withdrawal you will be begging for the little bit of insomnia that started this in the first place. Whatever you do.. do not view this medication or any benzo as a means of maintaining or managing your condition.. it's a bandaid.. and any long term use should be done only as a last resort."

johnAnon (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2018

"Works really well for me if only used a few times a week, as tolerance can build quickly. Almost no morning grogginess. I use 1 mg if I wake up and can't get back to sleep."

Scoob (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2018

"This is my second night. My Dr prescribed me with 1mg but it didn't seem to work. So then he said to increase to 2mg. I had good night sleep on the 1st night at 2mg.. But on the second night after 2 pills of 1mg I still wide awake."

Ridzza (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2018

"This is the only true blue med that has helped me relax and get to sleep over all others I've tried. I take 2mg at bed. The one person who commented that it worked first night at 0.25mg wow I can't believe they would put you so low. ΔΊ have never heard of that and I'm a nurse"

annie June 27, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "Took 0.25mg to help with me sleep. It helped 1st night to sleep 6 hours but not the 2nd night."

Tricky (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

"I have been taking Ativan for sleep for 4 years. I'm now taking 4 mg doctor says that’s all they can prescribe for Ativan but I sleep well he says don’t worry about the long term effects - if you need it, you need it. I appreciate him telling me that if someone needs a medicine is that addiction? No so if your on this for sleep don’t worry I’m at 4 mg my body doesn’t need more I’m taking what works"

Zends (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2018

"This is the only medication that has worked wonders for my extreme anxiety and insomnia. I finally feel human again! I have had zero side effects from it. I had been on an SSRI for a decade and while it helped, it came with a dozen side effects and not nearly as effective"

Bkk17 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I used to take sublingual ativan for sudden anxiety and panic attacks and it worked well and quickly. I did find it calming, and so I didn't ever use it for insomnia per se, I did sometimes take it in the evening to relax and it did a fine job of that."

wcforan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2018

"I have been taking lorazepam for many years I started with the highest dose my dr began to lower it until I was taking just half of 0.5 mg. I am afraid am I going to have problems. But I have been wishing to leave it for I long time am I going to have withdrawal. Please let me know"

Lori (taken for 10 years or more) March 9, 2018

"I started on Ativan quite innocently. About 10 years ago my doctor prescribed 1 mg a day for anxiety. But I had problems with falling asleep. I was told to take them at night. Then I became dependent on the to sleep. Years later I had to increase to 2mg together the benefit. Now, I guess I have become immune again as I am not sleeping well. So I am trapped. I don’t want to increase the dose, don’t even know if I could. No other sleep aids I have tried work. Don’t know the answer, but know I need sleep. What to do? ..,"

Keli (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2018

"I have found that I need to take 1mg Lorazepam just once per week but I am afraid of becoming addicted, Could you advise me please."

buddyboy March 6, 2018

"Severe debilitating muscle weakness getting off the drug over 6 month taper. Debilitating weakness has continued 3 months after the stopping the drug."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 27, 2018

"Have been taking .5mg for a few years. Used to wake up at 1 or 2a.m. with all the lights on, so to speak. Am a stem cell recipient because of leukemia. Originally blamed it all on other prescription drugs I was on, especially immunosuppresents. But as I have been slowly removed from all these other meds, I still was experiencing middle of night sleeplessness. Have occasionally tried a full 1mg pill but saw no difference. The .5 mg dose does just fine for me. Remember, in most states it is considered a controlled substance, so DO NOT drive until 8 hours after using"

bill.b January 13, 2018

"I was prescribed Loraxapam about 5 yrs ago for anxiety & panic disorders that just started out of the blue - well the panic attack did - then the anxiety came afert was so frightening! . My doctor put me on three 1mg tabs three times a day to start with...and I sure needed them. I did have this problem for a couple months then..not being one who likes taking med and through other counselling help recommended by doc I was able to go between 1-3 a day till I eventually got to mostly 1mg at night. I do not believe a 1mg taken at reasonable hr of night can cause you to keep falling asleep during day..however I could be totally wrong. It helps greatly with sleeping as does half a tab also..which I'm down to on occasions only now. I did wean myself from one to 3/4's to half to 1/4 over couple of weeks just to be sensible but I can't say they're more addictive, and I don't believe they're harder on body than I've seen with antidepressants with people. But my caution here is..of course you do have to use along with other helps so you're not dependant on high amounts. I was having a script every so often to have on hand and or so in end to help me wind down and sleep..now I'm fine and probably won't get anymore! I was told doctors don't recommend these so quickly as they don't get the incentives from the drug company for prescribing them, as they do with the newer drugs."

Y.ve (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "No positive effect!"

ReservedGene (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2017

"I have not put anything on sites like this but really want input. I have been dealing with medical issues for 3 months which required taking meds during the night which disrupted my sleep. My health is getting back on track but I am was not sleeping well. My Dr prescribed lorazepam 1 mg at bedtime. It works pretty well by giving me sleep however I am out of it almost the entire day. Around 4pm I start to feel ok again so I get to have a 6 hour window of a good day. I have read so many of all of your reviews. I am concerned about addiction and withdrawal as I have not taken very many meds like this. The Dr wrote prescription for 25 days. Would like suggestions; should I stay daily with 1 mg or skip nights or cut in half sometimes? I've used it for 1 week so far"

Very sleepy October 10, 2017

"Tried other drugs for sleeping but Lorazepam works the best! I take every night, an hour before bedtime and sleep 6 to 8 hours a night. I have a transplanted kidney, For me it has worked very well"

Hai uut Mersele (taken for 10 years or more) October 9, 2017

"42 y.o. Female with anxiety and insomnia. Taking Lorazepam (0.25-0.5mg) before bed. Works very well for me. No side effects, lowers anxiety level and helps me to sleep. Never had a need to take more, only less and all depending on stress levels at home. Went for a long trip and forgot it, no withdrawal symptoms. 3 years and not planning to stop unless something better comes around."

Sherry5678 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

"I have bad anxiety and am severely depressed and have bad insomnia. Doctor prescribed me Ativan. I took one at night to help me sleep. It helped me sleep alright all night. Woke up had a coffee then promptly fell asleep again had lunch at 1130 was up for an hour and a half. I then promptly fell asleep again the whole afternoon. That is the one and only time I took one. I told my GP I was prescribed this and told him I am not taking anymore as all I do is sleep. I do not know what is worse insomnia or sleeping all the time. He then told me to keep taking it what did he not understand. So I am not taking it anymore and will just deal with it on my own with no pills."

SarahArk (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2017

"I have taken benzos on and off for most of my adult life, for insomnia/anxiety/panic attacks. I will start off by saying I am terrified of hypnotic sleeping pills (Z drugs etc) they make me stupid the next day which I can't deal with. I've been prescribed various benzos such as Ativan, Xanax, Klonopin, Restoril, out of all of them I find lorazepam (Ativan) is the best. I don't get a 'high' feeling from it, it just relaxes me enough to get some peaceful sleep and I have no side effects the next day. Xanax makes me feel high, and Restoril makes me high and binge eat - not good at all. Unlike other benzos, you can take your Ativan pill sublingually as they don't have a bitter taste; this makes them work quickly."

Ann7013 June 28, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have been taking 1 1/2 mg every other night for sleep for the past 3 years. I have tried my other drugs for sleep and ativan is the only one that works consistently. Because of its addiction potential I take it only every other night. Also I have not had to increase the dosage in 3 years, which I believe is a result of not taking it every night. It is easier to tolerate my non-Ativan night of insomnia when I know I will be sleeping well the next night."

bashbish (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2017