User Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Panic Disorder

Also known as: Ativan, Ativan Injection, Lorazepam Intensol

Lorazepam has an average rating of 8.5 out of 10 from a total of 92 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 80% of those users who reviewed Lorazepam reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.5/10 average rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Lorazepam

Eternalli · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2021

“Took for a number of conditions and this worked better than any other medication personally. However; stay in the low doses range; as it is addictive some say. I’d definitely recommend; 100% best anxiolytic out there.”

Cordellamt · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 29, 2021

Ativan (lorazepam): “Great for stopping my severe panic attacks. I usually only take 1/2 of a tablet (1mg) and dissolve it under my tongue. When a full tablet is required it does make my face feel hot. I also feel slow. Writing this review on a full tablet. Difficult but better than freaking out!”

CJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2021

“Lorazepam or Ativan if you want to call it that, is a LIFESAVER. I have had panic disorder and lots of anxiety and depression problems along with insomnia. I have been on loads of medication for my conditions. I started out on Prozac which didn't do anything for me after a few months of taking it. All it did was make me nauseous. Then, I tried Zoloft and that was by far the worst. It made me very depressed to the point of attempting suicide. I stopped all SSRIs after that and thought there was no hope. My doctor then prescribed me 2 Benzodiazepines. Xanax for sleep, and Ativan for panic, Those two drugs are lifesavers. Xanax puts me right out and when I wake up I feel refreshed and ready for the day. But Ativan, oh Ativan, that one saves my life. Ativan puts me right out when I am panicking and it works very very quickly. It has stopped me from harming myself during panic attacks. Benzodiazepines are some of the best drugs I have taken in my life and they are so helpful to me.”

Chris May 10, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “I have had panic disorder, agoraphobia, and severe anxiety for 10 years, so I need something like Ativan that sedates me and calms me down when I get hysterical. After numerous trips to the ER and every time I went there they gave me this. Finally talked to my psychiatrist and got the prescription so I don't have to go to a hospital for my severe panic attacks. Medications I used to take made me feel like I was going crazy lol. Unlike other medications I have tried in the past there is really not any side effects besides it makes you a little drowsy. This is a true lifesaver for a person who could not otherwise function. This helps with how debilitating panic attacks and severe anxiety can be. I would highly recommend this and I have tried countless other remedies but this one tops all.”

Ash · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 27, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “I had tried so many other bad anxiety medications like daily ones and had worse symptoms even panic all day. ATAVIN saved my life , I started with half a pill to see how it affected me and I take .5 . I didn't feel super high or messed up, I felt calm and normal I hadn't ever found something that worked for me EVER. I was so scared to try new anxiety medications bc of bad experiences but this one is amazing as needed. I prefer to take it at night since u get a little tired and relax. Everyone has a different experience and I recommend this as needed. As someone who has anxiety about taking medications you should try it and see if it helps cuz it helped relieve mine anxiety with in 30 mins or less of a panic attack . The next day feels a little mellow in a good way relaxed and like a human not going a million miles from anxiety. Hope this helps !”

SaraCee · Taken for 10 years or more October 31, 2019

“I have been taking this drug off and on for over 15 years and it has saved my life. When I was first diagnosed with anxiety, over 15 years ago, I was prescribed an antidepressant and Ativan to use if I have a panic attack. I was so unequipped to deal with the onset of an attack and it helped me tremendously in times of need. At the worst times of my life I was taking 0.5-1.0 three to four times a day. I was taking it regularly for over a year. I never had withdrawal symptoms and think it’s a disservice to people to scare them away from using it for fear of addiction. I had such terrible anxiety that had I not had this medication I don’t think I would have survived this time. I now carry it as a safety everywhere I go but haven’t used it for over a year.”

Brickboo · Taken for 10 years or more February 14, 2018

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): “My Son, he was on drugs and drinking. My wife and I returned from a vacation He tore his home up, he drove his truck through a heavy boarded fence. Damage in excess of $42,000. He slit his left wrist vertically very deep. It could not be stitched because of infection. He had a slit on right wrist and a slit on his throat. He got better with professional help and meds through an indigent program. A Psychiatrist visit was $1 an hour. He vastly improved from around 2009 through 2014 from drinking and drugs. Then in February 2014 he was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer and suffered terribly for the duration of Chemo and Radiation, In August he had his Esophagus removed (Esophagectomy) and was dead by September 23, 2014, at 1:10 AM. I want everyone to know that without the help of Lorazepam, I never would have gotten through the nightmarish ordeal with my son that I loved so much I would have killed and died for if it would have helped him. My precious Drew I'll miss forever.”

doornail May 6, 2013

Ativan (lorazepam): “After my losing my first child, I soon started having these feelings like I was having a heart attack, chest pains, hand cramps, and could not breath. After several trips to hospital, I was told it was a panic disorder. That was thirty two years ago. I was given Ativan to hold under my tongue, and I still use it until this day 3x 2mg daily as needed. I now have two grown sons, and two grandchildren but I do not think I could have made it without Ativan and great support group. I have no side effects just a calm, peaceful feeling.”

Zayyna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 31, 2020

“I hate my life and I hate having panic attacks. I hate taking Ativan because I don’t like being dependent on it. But it works great, If you're like me constantly worrying about your heart, or that you don’t know how to breathe anymore, then take this pill.”

PanicyFlyer · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): “I am prone to terrible and traumatizing panic attacks. I was afraid one was going to happen on an airplane, so I dreaded an upcoming flight for months. On the day of the flight, I took a 0.5 pill and felt all of my anxiety wash away. Took another pill at the gate before boarding and had the most calm flight of my life with essentially no notable anxiety. This medication has allowed me to no longer be a prisoner of my panic. It's really changed my life.”

StudentDoc · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): “Prior to starting med school, I was having numerous panic attacks. Over time they intensified, getting worse by the day. I seriously thought that the social life was just done for me. I used to try and stay close to hospitals in case something bad happened to me. I worried excessively about my health (in which I'm completely healthy). I constantly went to emergency rooms to see doctors for having panic aftacks (heart beating fast, shaking, feeling of "lost in the world" and scared). I tried so many anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. They either made me too sleepy, headaches, or didn't work at all. ATIVAN has been EXCELLENT! No Side effects ! Works perfect! Psych docs hate the drug! But it works!”

Kat92 June 15, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): “I'm as stubborn as it gets when it comes to taking medicine. I've been on just about everything for anxiety/ panic attacks. I began having panic attacks 5 months ago and have been living in complete fear. I couldn't even buy groceries without feeling like I was being pulled to the floor. I have every physical symptom of panic. Racing heart, chest pain, dizziness, I've even hyperventilated so bad that I've passed out. This medicine works. My doctor gave me 1mg tablets that are scored. I take half a mg and the panic is instantly gone for the entire day. It's a life saver. I really dread when I have to come off this medicine because it makes me feel human again, which is why I give it a 9/10.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

Ativan (lorazepam): “I was put on Ativan after I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Embolism. I was given Ativan while in the ER and during my hospital stay. After I was released, I was given a prescription of Ativan (with no refills). It helped me tremendously. I didn't take it daily, only when I felt a panic attack coming on, or felt my anxiety creeping up also. My primary physician prescribed me another prescription after I was out of the one from the hospital. That one had no refills also. She prescribed it to me because I was a mess from PE and was suffering from depression, anxiety, panic attacks, and she diagnosed me with PTSD. I was moving also (out of state) and she said that the new doctors I would be seeing wouldn't prescribe me this again, so that is why she prescribed one more 30-count for me. I only took it when I knew I needed to take it. I never abused the drug, and it helped me so much it was a life-changer. I never had any issues with Ativan, no side effects, I love it!”

Nink's · Taken for 10 years or more June 7, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): “I've had severe panic attacks for forty years. They run constantly and NEVER stop! I'm 78 years old and have been taking 1mg Ativan three times a day which barely keeps them under control! I need four a day but my doctor acts like I'm asking for heroin! I have never needed a stronger dose, Now, they are almost banned !Call your representatives and the comment line at the White House and demand we be given this medication because we must have it!”

CCMoonnsong · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 17, 2017

“I have chronic anxiety and this has been the only medication I can take that gives me steady nerves yet doesn't make me feel drowsy. I know it can be addictive however, I believe if you are suffering this type of constant anxiety in life and something helps that does not include alcohol which inebriates you, there should not be a problem stay on it. I'd rather be on this for years than turn to alcohol. Physicians and Pharm. should stop the harassment to those of us with PSTD or chronic anxiety. Accusing those on it of selling the drug, just adds to the anxiety. Everyone on Lorazepam is not selling or abusing it. It helps. What more is there to say?”

Kayla_Rose January 6, 2021

Ativan (lorazepam): “I have severe panic disorder, agoraphobia, IBS-D, and damage to my nervous system due to trauma. I have been given ativan for numerous procedures, which I wasn't sure what it was but I knew for the 24 hours after I felt normal. Not groggy, not post operative blues, nothing just... normal. After over a year of trying a million different things to manage my conditions, I asked my doctor in his office what he puts in my IV because that is magic. He gave me the run down on how ativan can be addicting and how my procedures I get 2 mg and he was going to start me on .5 as needed. In the last month, I've taken a half of a .5 mg tablet as needed and let me tell you, life has been much more bearable. Unfortunately, ativan is suppose to be a short term solution and my problems are very much chronic. I haven't ever experienced more than a slight groggy feeling once. Anyway, if you feel as hopeless as I did, this doesn't hurt to try. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.”

Nanny · Taken for 10 years or more February 11, 2020

“I suddenly developed panic/anxiety attacks about 20 years ago, out of the blue. I had no idea what they were and just suffered through them. I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance once thinking I was having a heart attack. My attacks are terrifying. Racing heart, sweating, vomiting, diarrhoea, tingling hands. I become so sick that I can’t move or talk. I feel like I am dying. They usually arrive abruptly in the middle of the night. I usually end up on the bathroom floor. Since I discovered lorazepam they are the only thing that will stop the attack. I only use them when I am in the throes of an attack which occur every few months. They are a godsend for me!!! It usually takes two 1mg pills to get the symptoms to subside. I do not take the pills on a daily basis, only in times of crisis.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2014

Ativan (lorazepam): “I have panic disorder and generalized anxiety. I take 1 to 2 mg sublingually when fighting anxiety or at the onset of a panic attack. I took one at the onset of an attack this morning, and within 5 minutes I could breathe again, my hands returned to normal temperature, and I was able to focus on getting the kids ready for school. I'm glad that 1mg is strong enough to prevent an attack, and that it doesn't dope me up - just calms me down and eases the physical issues.”

nat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 16, 2018

“I’m so so SO grateful for this med. I take it only when needed. Even when I get into a state of feeling absolutely miserable with panic and racing scary thoughts, lorazepam turns it around 360 degrees within 30 minutes, but definitely starts to work around 15. Not only does it calm that fight or flight response — getting rid of that nasty adrenaline — it also just generally puts me into a tranquil state of mind. No scary thoughts. I could cry with gratitude for how many times it has helped me in the past. It makes panic disorder bearable. God bless”

anyonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 28, 2017

“Very helpful for panic attacks. I suffer from a lot of dissociation (depersonalization and derealization) from panic and generalized anxiety and ativan at 0.5mg-1mg is the only thing that brings me back down. I'm also on an SSRI but ativan is really the only thing that will get rid of my dissociation and calm me down. Panic attacks are a living hell for those who suffer from them and I am so thankful I have something that takes me out of this living hell. Definitely not ashamed of having to take medication. Please, don't be ashamed of taking something that helps you and keeps you healthy. No one should have to live with the constant fear and hell that panic and depersonalization/derealization brings.”

RobbyR April 9, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): “I used to get bad panic attacks, and very severe anxiety, and ativan was the best medication I ever took in terms of completely getting rid of my anxiety. It calmed me down quickly, got rid of my anxiety completely, and made me relaxed and calm. It's very potent and effective. Compared to Xanax I think Xanax works better for regular anxiety and Ativan to me seemed stronger. Also Ativan seemed to considerably elevate my mood compared to Xanax. It's probably best for those occasional severe panic attacks not to be taken too often. Very effective though!”

Senior · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 14, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): “I found this medicine extremely helpful. I felt like I was going to die from panic until the doctor prescribed me this lifesaving drug. Worked wonderfully and without any side effects like other drugs I tried.”

Mic June 24, 2020

Ativan (lorazepam): “Medication works great and how it is supposed to. I was on generic lorazepam and would find the quality would differ based on manufacturer and it wouldn’t affect me. After switching to brand the effects are more consistent and it seems so much more potent. It was a fight getting my insurance to completely cover it but it was worth it. 0.5mg and I’m so tired and don’t have any anxiety to worry about. Calms my panic and helps with nausea quite a bit.”

Stella13 January 19, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): “Ativan works. I just started getting panic attacks in my 40s no real reason for it except maybe aspartame caffeine sometimes emotional but in all I'm not sure why have gotten panic attacks. But Ativan works sometimes I need three pills of .5 mg or sometimes I just need one but I only take them as needed not sure if my doctor is going to continue to give them to me but I definitely need a back up of some kind and it does make you feel better so think goodness for that.”

bhamlaxy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 2, 2012

Ativan (lorazepam): “Excellent experience with Ativan. Have used it for flight anxiety and flew with a smile on my face. Also used it for general panic disorder. Right when I feel a panic attack coming on I take 0.5mg- very small amount. It kills the panic attack in 15-20 minutes and I feel incredibly relaxed for hours. Only side effect was slight drowsiness but it was not bad at all- even useful if I was trying to go to bed. Highly recommend.”

MyFightSong · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 7, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): “Ativan 0.5 mg as needed for panic attacks. Not good for longterm use in my opinion because you will always need more, body will tolerate the dose and need more for same calming effect but its a short-acting med for anxiety and panic attacks and working wonderfully for me for years. I have bipolar 2 with rapid mood cycling and bad PMS symptoms and its a blessing when I do need it. I never take more than 1 mg at one time though because it is a strong drug. Peace. This too shall pass.”

LilliesMom · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 5, 2020

“I am allergic to every SSRI medication I have tried so my doctor tried lorazepam. (My non responsive to these medications seems to be genetic because my mother and maternal grandmother both couldn't tolerate them.) Lorazepam has given me back my life. At my worst, PTSD prevented me from even leaving my home. I take 0.5 mg once daily but am allowed to take up to 1.5 mg daily if needed. Along with diet, exercise and therapy, I am feeling more like myself.”

Adczyk December 17, 2015

Ativan (lorazepam): “I use Ativan when I experience a panic attack at the time of going to bed or when I wake up with one. I only use a quarter of a 2.5 mg. and it seems to calm me down enough to sleep. I only use it occasionally namely once in about a two week period when something happens in my life which stresses me out and causes the panic attack. It also calms me down and brings down my BP since I have a over reactive BP spike whenever I have a panic attack. It's a God sent for me :) Because of the small dosage, I never have an unwanted side effect...feel refreshed in the morning.”

Learn more about Panic Disorder