User Reviews for Lorazepam

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Panic Disorder

"I must admit lorazepam is the only med that takes the edge of an anxiety attack , when I am in a crisis I might need up to 4 mg's to calm down. I was on zoloft, but rather then take every day zoloft I use now and then lorazepam when needed is better. If you have panic disorder or anxiety attacks you are really helped with this med."

mrjones (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2018

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): "My Son, he was on drugs and drinking. My wife and I returned from a vacation He tore his home up, he drove his truck through a heavy boarded fence. Damage in excess of $42,000. He slit his left wrist vertically very deep. It could not be stitched because of infection. He had a slit on right wrist and a slit on his throat. He got better with professional help and meds through an indigent program. A Psychiatrist visit was $1 an hour. He vastly improved from around 2009 through 2014 from drinking and drugs. Then in February 2014 he was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer and suffered terribly for the duration of Chemo and Radiation, In August he had his Esophagus removed (Esophagectomy) and was dead by September 23, 2014, at 1:10 AM. I want everyone to know that without the help of Lorazepam, I never would have gotten through the nightmarish ordeal with my son that I loved so much I would have killed and died for if it would have helped him. My precious Drew I'll miss forever."

Brickboo (taken for 10 years or more) February 14, 2018

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): "I do not take more than 1-2 mg per day, but have taken this medicine for many years. I'm bi polar 1 and take Lamotrigene with it. These are the only 2 medicines I take other than Tylenol. I realize the dangers of long term use, but Lorazepam changed my life for the better. No more anxiety and I used to have a fear of heights. Lorazepam helps with that. They key is to never take more than prescribed. That would get you into trouble."

Brimun (taken for 10 years or more) February 13, 2018

"Very helpful for panic attacks. I suffer from a lot of dissociation (depersonalization and derealization) from panic and generalized anxiety and ativan at 0.5mg-1mg is the only thing that brings me back down. I'm also on an SSRI but ativan is really the only thing that will get rid of my dissociation and calm me down. Panic attacks are a living hell for those who suffer from them and I am so thankful I have something that takes me out of this living hell. Definitely not ashamed of having to take medication. Please, don't be ashamed of taking something that helps you and keeps you healthy. No one should have to live with the constant fear and hell that panic and depersonalization/derealization brings."

anyonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I found most of the benzodiazepines effective against panic disorder. However, Ativan had a very strong amnesia inducing effect that caused me problems. While they all had amnesia effects at various dosages, Ativan really messed with my memory at therapeutic doses of 1-3 mg a day. I frequently found I had done bizarre things on Ativan. I found my car in a neighbors garage, for example, but had woken up in my own house. It’s a bit comical now, but could have been tragic. I had much more stable results with Klonopin."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2017

"I have chronic anxiety and this has been the only medication I can take that gives me steady nerves yet doesn't make me feel drowsy. I know it can be addictive however, I believe if you are suffering this type of constant anxiety in life and something helps that does not include alcohol which inebriates you, there should not be a problem stay on it. I'd rather be on this for years than turn to alcohol. Physicians and Pharm. should stop the harassment to those of us with PSTD or chronic anxiety. Accusing those on it of selling the drug, just adds to the anxiety. Everyone on Lorazepam is not selling or abusing it. It helps. What more is there to say?"

CCMoonnsong (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

"At 16 I had a traumatic experience that gave me my first panic attack. Since that day, I have suffered from on-again-off-again anxiety that sometimes spirals into full blown panic attacks. Simply put, this medication has been a gift from the heavens. I rarely take it because I am told it is addictive, but if I feel like I am getting anxiety and spiralling, it literally stops a panic attack cold. In fact, since I have been prescribed the medicine, my panic attacks have plummeted, simply because I have gained control over them. I know in my head that if my anxiety wants to test me, I can stop it. This gives me a feeling of control and has reduced my attacks by 95%. It has changed my life."

coolcucumber25 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've had severe panic attacks for forty years. They run constantly and NEVER stop! I'm 78 years old and have been taking 1mg Ativan three times a day which barely keeps them under control! I need four a day but my doctor acts like I'm asking for heroin! I have never needed a stronger dose, Now, they are almost banned !Call your representatives and the comment line at the White House and demand we be given this medication because we must have it!"

Nink's (taken for 10 years or more) June 7, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan 0.5 mg as needed for panic attacks. Not good for longterm use in my opinion because you will always need more, body will tolerate the dose and need more for same calming effect but its a short-acting med for anxiety and panic attacks and working wonderfully for me for years. I have bipolar 2 with rapid mood cycling and bad PMS symptoms and its a blessing when I do need it. I never take more than 1 mg at one time though because it is a strong drug. Peace. This too shall pass."

MyFightSong (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I began having panic attacks in the middle of the night a few months ago and my doctor prescribed 0.5 mg of Ativan to take as needed. He told me it was fast-acting and would be out of my system in 6 hours. The first time I took it, my panic stopped in about 15 minutes. It was like someone turned the faucet off, just completely gone. I was able to get to sleep without problem for the first time in weeks. I did notice that it becomes considerably less effective if I take it more than 1-2 times in a week, so I try to do everything I can to calm down before reaching for the bottle. Currently starting Zoloft to help with underlying issues (have been on and off it before) and I keep this handy for any random anxiety spikes while my body adjusts."

jtr88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

"Be careful ! this is a strong drug, it's effect is amazing and sometimes you feel HIGH. But...it causes dependence worse than cocaine...and loses the effect after some months.. SO GUYS ALWAYS TALK WITH THE DOCTOR NEVER USE THIS FOR TOO LONG !!!"

Attention2 January 28, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "Hi All Im a young man 24 years old, I have several issues with my brain since many years ago.... I have a Major Depression, GAD, SAD, OCD, and Panic Disorder. I've been tried many option, I tried Hypnotherapy, Emotional Therapy, CBT , also I have been to some psychiatrist in Indonesia and Singapore. Finally I met the best psychiatrist in my country, and with him I found best med and finally cure my problem. You all have to try this too and talk to your psychiatrist to ask for prescription. Every Morning I take 1mg Ativan and Every Night I take 5mg Zyprexa and 150mg Zoloft Please try this, please.. Enjoy your life.. Also CBT is good as well..."

TSG from Indonesia please read January 18, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "Prior to starting med school, I was having numerous panic attacks. Over time they intensified, getting worse by the day. I seriously thought that the social life was just done for me. I used to try and stay close to hospitals in case something bad happened to me. I worried excessively about my health (in which I'm completely healthy). I constantly went to emergency rooms to see doctors for having panic aftacks (heart beating fast, shaking, feeling of "lost in the world" and scared). I tried so many anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. They either made me too sleepy, headaches, or didn't work at all. ATIVAN has been EXCELLENT! No Side effects ! Works perfect! Psych docs hate the drug! But it works!"

StudentDoc (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I will always take Ativan for my mild-to-moderate panic. The only problem is, it can become addictive. So I try to use other methods for my anxiety before I reach for the Ativan."

BonnieTulip (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 13, 2017

"I take Ativan for panic attacks as well as general anxiety. I must say, it works very very well. When compared to Xanax, I think Xanax is more effective in stopping the panic attack but Ativan is better at just avoiding an attack altogether. It kicks in just as fast as Xanax but seems to linger in the system longer. So for me, when I took Xanax and was panicking I had to take, then I'd be great, then have to take again, etc. Ativan for me has been more smoother. I take and I am good. I do have to take a higher dosage than I would of Xanax but barely. I think this medication is great for panic and general anxiety though never try to take a benzo as a regimen. The withdrawals are dehabilitating!"

KyleFontenot (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2016

"I am 20, I started having anxiety attacks 3 months ago and I am now diagnosed with panic disorder. I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and they gave me .05mg of Ativan. It calmed me down so fast and I felt better. Now I take it as needed and it saves me from cycling into a worse state during my attacks. I love it."

Smitherson October 25, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "Worked great and am able to continue as normal now !"

Cymberleigh October 4, 2016

"Had a full blown panic attack about 4 months ago and went to the ER. Had no idea what one was until the doctor pumping me full of Ativan explained that I wasn't actually dying. He literally brought me back from panic land. Unfortunately the anxiety attacks didn't stop there and I got a script for this without understanding how addicting these are. Now I'm taking 1.5mg a day with little to no effect. At this point I'm just avoiding withdrawal symptoms. I also have to avoid alcohol like the plague or risk respiratory failure. But that's the case with any benzo. Take this medication very seldom and you'll be just fine. Taking it on a schedule (or for more than 2-4 weeks) is what gets you addicted."

Crescentelite (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have used this for about a year now. I used to be on a high dose of xanax for several years but my new Dr. Didn't agree with that, so here I am on adivan. I don't feel as if it helps with anxiety that well. It takes a high dose for me when I have panic attacks. Most definitely not used for sleep."

Smari3dee (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2016

"I had 2 panic attacks in a week, took this med at er. I though I was dying. My whole body got warm all the classic symptoms. I'm afraid of becoming addicted since the mental health nurse said benzos are becoming a thing of the past due to high addiction rates."

cookie 45 May 10, 2016

"I'm 19 years old, and I had my first panic attack when I was four. Scariest thing I've ever experienced. I started taking lorazepam about two years ago when I became severely agoraphobic and had what I like to call 'rolling panic attacks' all day long. I started off with .5mg tablets, 1-3 per attack, and now I have 1-2mg script two years later. Not a huge difference at all. It was EXTREMELY difficult for me to get the medication, but as I have a long history of panic disorder, had severe reactions to SSRIs, had done CBT and had debilitatingly long panic attacks of an hour shaking on the floor at a time, it was tried. And I am SO thankful. Unfortunately, every new doctor I see (I moved from Canada to the UK) has a different opionion."

WinterDances (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "I used to get bad panic attacks, and very severe anxiety, and ativan was the best medication I ever took in terms of completely getting rid of my anxiety. It calmed me down quickly, got rid of my anxiety completely, and made me relaxed and calm. It's very potent and effective. Compared to Xanax I think Xanax works better for regular anxiety and Ativan to me seemed stronger. Also Ativan seemed to considerably elevate my mood compared to Xanax. It's probably best for those occasional severe panic attacks not to be taken too often. Very effective though!"

RobbyR April 9, 2016

"Out of no where I was hit with amid attacks. Th first one put me in the ER I thought I was dying. They gave me 20 Ativan. They help so much. They don't put me to sleep or a drunken stooper like Xanax. Just perfect. Luckily my attacks have really lessened and I just take when I feel one coming on and it's done. Thank you."

Oclafsti April 4, 2016

"I am now 46, I started experiencing panic Attacks a year ago, The Daily Life Stress and Depression Attributed in my opinion to my Panic Attacks. I would have an attack about once to twice daily, Some Mild,some severe. I Had the worst one in Sept/2015 I called 911,I was at home alone, I truly believed my time has come and that I was about to die. I was transported to ER, and by the time we got there I had calmed down and start feeling normal again, and That's when the ER Doctor Officially diagnosed me with Social Anxiety Disorder and Prescribed me....... You Guessed it, Lorazepam 1mg. To Take as needed. The best Thing Ever happened to me. I love this Medication. Life savor ."

Leomanfl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

Ativan (lorazepam): "This drug saved my life. I had General Anxiety Disorder(GAD) and i get a few panic attacks, and this has been the most helpful thing for it."

Abdane February 23, 2016