User Reviews for Lorazepam to treat Panic Disorder

Also known as: Ativan, Lorazepam Intensol

Lorazepam Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Lorazepam

Mom · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2019

"Was having anxiety and panic attack and couldn’t sleep . Lorazepam Ativan calmed me down. I took one right now. The last time I took one before today was a month ago a day after being in the hospital for an anxiety attack. :("

Pete · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 12, 2019

"I was misdiagnosed for years by my doctor and emergency room. I was being treated for asthma when I was actually having a panic attack. I remember being so frustrated that my medication wasn’t helping my shortness of breath which I thought was asthma. I was properly diagnosed when I was vacationing in San Diego. I thought I was having an asthma attack. I took my inhaler and got no relief. I thought I was a gonna. The ambulance came and took my vital signs and said I’m having a panic attack. I was in disbelief. I was given 1mg Ativan at the emergency room and felt better within 10 minutes. Right now I’m on celexa and carry at Ativan on me at all times. Ativan works for me."

Senior · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 14, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I found this medicine extremely helpful. I felt like I was going to die from panic until the doctor prescribed me this lifesaving drug. Worked wonderfully and without any side effects like other drugs I tried."

JohnnyR · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 14, 2018

"I always keep a pill or two in my pocket in case of a panic attack. I first try to calm myself down - if that doesn't work I take 0.5 to 1mg of sublingual Lorazepam and the panic attack goes away in a matter of minutes (usually 10 minutes). Also helped me getting sleepy when I would get anxiety attacks before going to bed and couldn't keep calm. It may be habit-inducing, however in some cases it is necessary. It is the best solution when nothing else seems to help. In my opinion it's the best benzodiazepine for panic attacks."

Mr. Anxiety · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 4, 2018

"Ativan is an amazing drug. It saved my life. I had my first ever panic attack one year ago. It landed me in the emergency room, and the doc gave me 1mg. Ever since then I take it maybe once a week. 0.5mg is great for the feeling of anxiety. I use 1mg and a bath if I have a panic attack. The bath is because water helps me calm down (it’s actually scientific haha). Only issue is it can be habit forming. Hence why I only take it when I absolutely need to. Other than that, it works just as well as Xanax or Valium."

SAm July 30, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I was prescribed Ativan sublingual 0.5mg as needed for panic attacks. It did not do anything for me, usually my panic attacks come at night while I'm sleeping. So I tried it and honestly It didn't do anything and on top of that I couldn't sleep after taking it."

nat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 16, 2018

"I’m so so SO grateful for this med. I take it only when needed. Even when I get into a state of feeling absolutely miserable with panic and racing scary thoughts, lorazepam turns it around 360 degrees within 30 minutes, but definitely starts to work around 15. Not only does it calm that fight or flight response — getting rid of that nasty adrenaline — it also just generally puts me into a tranquil state of mind. No scary thoughts. I could cry with gratitude for how many times it has helped me in the past. It makes panic disorder bearable. God bless"

DsBru · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "I have lived with Panic disorder since I was 16 and have had experience with various benzodiazepines. This has got to be the worst drug I have ever taken for a panic attack, it made me feels even more disconnected and stupid. I ended up in the back of an ambulance after taking this drug for a panic attack. I also struggled to sleep after taking this medication and was having suicidal thoughts. So far I would have to say when it comes to elimination of a panic attack, it goes: Xanax > Clonazepam > CBD > Valium > Bromazepam > Ativan."

2PugzG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2018

Ativan (lorazepam): "To be honest with you guys I personally think that it works for me and exceeds my expectations when it comes to other areas of my life as well...."

mrjones · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 8, 2018

"I must admit lorazepam is the only med that takes the edge of an anxiety attack , when I am in a crisis I might need up to 4 mg's to calm down. I was on zoloft, but rather then take every day zoloft I use now and then lorazepam when needed is better. If you have panic disorder or anxiety attacks you are really helped with this med."

Brickboo · Taken for 10 years or more February 14, 2018

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): "My Son, he was on drugs and drinking. My wife and I returned from a vacation He tore his home up, he drove his truck through a heavy boarded fence. Damage in excess of $42,000. He slit his left wrist vertically very deep. It could not be stitched because of infection. He had a slit on right wrist and a slit on his throat. He got better with professional help and meds through an indigent program. A Psychiatrist visit was $1 an hour. He vastly improved from around 2009 through 2014 from drinking and drugs. Then in February 2014 he was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer and suffered terribly for the duration of Chemo and Radiation, In August he had his Esophagus removed (Esophagectomy) and was dead by September 23, 2014, at 1:10 AM. I want everyone to know that without the help of Lorazepam, I never would have gotten through the nightmarish ordeal with my son that I loved so much I would have killed and died for if it would have helped him. My precious Drew I'll miss forever."

Brimun · Taken for 10 years or more February 13, 2018

Lorazepam Intensol (lorazepam): "I do not take more than 1-2 mg per day, but have taken this medicine for many years. I'm bi polar 1 and take Lamotrigene with it. These are the only 2 medicines I take other than Tylenol. I realize the dangers of long term use, but Lorazepam changed my life for the better. No more anxiety and I used to have a fear of heights. Lorazepam helps with that. They key is to never take more than prescribed. That would get you into trouble."

anyonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 28, 2017

"Very helpful for panic attacks. I suffer from a lot of dissociation (depersonalization and derealization) from panic and generalized anxiety and ativan at 0.5mg-1mg is the only thing that brings me back down. I'm also on an SSRI but ativan is really the only thing that will get rid of my dissociation and calm me down. Panic attacks are a living hell for those who suffer from them and I am so thankful I have something that takes me out of this living hell. Definitely not ashamed of having to take medication. Please, don't be ashamed of taking something that helps you and keeps you healthy. No one should have to live with the constant fear and hell that panic and depersonalization/derealization brings."

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 27, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I found most of the benzodiazepines effective against panic disorder. However, Ativan had a very strong amnesia inducing effect that caused me problems. While they all had amnesia effects at various dosages, Ativan really messed with my memory at therapeutic doses of 1-3 mg a day. I frequently found I had done bizarre things on Ativan. I found my car in a neighbors garage, for example, but had woken up in my own house. It’s a bit comical now, but could have been tragic. I had much more stable results with Klonopin."

CCMoonnsong · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 17, 2017

"I have chronic anxiety and this has been the only medication I can take that gives me steady nerves yet doesn't make me feel drowsy. I know it can be addictive however, I believe if you are suffering this type of constant anxiety in life and something helps that does not include alcohol which inebriates you, there should not be a problem stay on it. I'd rather be on this for years than turn to alcohol. Physicians and Pharm. should stop the harassment to those of us with PSTD or chronic anxiety. Accusing those on it of selling the drug, just adds to the anxiety. Everyone on Lorazepam is not selling or abusing it. It helps. What more is there to say?"

coolcucumber25 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 15, 2017

"At 16 I had a traumatic experience that gave me my first panic attack. Since that day, I have suffered from on-again-off-again anxiety that sometimes spirals into full blown panic attacks. Simply put, this medication has been a gift from the heavens. I rarely take it because I am told it is addictive, but if I feel like I am getting anxiety and spiralling, it literally stops a panic attack cold. In fact, since I have been prescribed the medicine, my panic attacks have plummeted, simply because I have gained control over them. I know in my head that if my anxiety wants to test me, I can stop it. This gives me a feeling of control and has reduced my attacks by 95%. It has changed my life."

Nink's · Taken for 10 years or more June 7, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I've had severe panic attacks for forty years. They run constantly and NEVER stop! I'm 78 years old and have been taking 1mg Ativan three times a day which barely keeps them under control! I need four a day but my doctor acts like I'm asking for heroin! I have never needed a stronger dose, Now, they are almost banned !Call your representatives and the comment line at the White House and demand we be given this medication because we must have it!"

MyFightSong · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 7, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "Ativan 0.5 mg as needed for panic attacks. Not good for longterm use in my opinion because you will always need more, body will tolerate the dose and need more for same calming effect but its a short-acting med for anxiety and panic attacks and working wonderfully for me for years. I have bipolar 2 with rapid mood cycling and bad PMS symptoms and its a blessing when I do need it. I never take more than 1 mg at one time though because it is a strong drug. Peace. This too shall pass."

jtr88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I began having panic attacks in the middle of the night a few months ago and my doctor prescribed 0.5 mg of Ativan to take as needed. He told me it was fast-acting and would be out of my system in 6 hours. The first time I took it, my panic stopped in about 15 minutes. It was like someone turned the faucet off, just completely gone. I was able to get to sleep without problem for the first time in weeks. I did notice that it becomes considerably less effective if I take it more than 1-2 times in a week, so I try to do everything I can to calm down before reaching for the bottle. Currently starting Zoloft to help with underlying issues (have been on and off it before) and I keep this handy for any random anxiety spikes while my body adjusts."

Attention2 January 28, 2017

"Be careful ! this is a strong drug, it's effect is amazing and sometimes you feel HIGH. But...it causes dependence worse than cocaine...and loses the effect after some months.. SO GUYS ALWAYS TALK WITH THE DOCTOR NEVER USE THIS FOR TOO LONG !!!"

TSG from Indonesia please read January 18, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "Hi All Im a young man 24 years old, I have several issues with my brain since many years ago.... I have a Major Depression, GAD, SAD, OCD, and Panic Disorder. I've been tried many option, I tried Hypnotherapy, Emotional Therapy, CBT , also I have been to some psychiatrist in Indonesia and Singapore. Finally I met the best psychiatrist in my country, and with him I found best med and finally cure my problem. You all have to try this too and talk to your psychiatrist to ask for prescription. Every Morning I take 1mg Ativan and Every Night I take 5mg Zyprexa and 150mg Zoloft Please try this, please.. Enjoy your life.. Also CBT is good as well..."

StudentDoc · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 14, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "Prior to starting med school, I was having numerous panic attacks. Over time they intensified, getting worse by the day. I seriously thought that the social life was just done for me. I used to try and stay close to hospitals in case something bad happened to me. I worried excessively about my health (in which I'm completely healthy). I constantly went to emergency rooms to see doctors for having panic aftacks (heart beating fast, shaking, feeling of "lost in the world" and scared). I tried so many anti depressants and anti anxiety meds. They either made me too sleepy, headaches, or didn't work at all. ATIVAN has been EXCELLENT! No Side effects ! Works perfect! Psych docs hate the drug! But it works!"

BonnieTulip · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 13, 2017

Ativan (lorazepam): "I will always take Ativan for my mild-to-moderate panic. The only problem is, it can become addictive. So I try to use other methods for my anxiety before I reach for the Ativan."

KyleFontenot · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 5, 2016

"I take Ativan for panic attacks as well as general anxiety. I must say, it works very very well. When compared to Xanax, I think Xanax is more effective in stopping the panic attack but Ativan is better at just avoiding an attack altogether. It kicks in just as fast as Xanax but seems to linger in the system longer. So for me, when I took Xanax and was panicking I had to take, then I'd be great, then have to take again, etc. Ativan for me has been more smoother. I take and I am good. I do have to take a higher dosage than I would of Xanax but barely. I think this medication is great for panic and general anxiety though never try to take a benzo as a regimen. The withdrawals are dehabilitating!"

Smitherson October 25, 2016

"I am 20, I started having anxiety attacks 3 months ago and I am now diagnosed with panic disorder. I was rushed by ambulance to the hospital and they gave me .05mg of Ativan. It calmed me down so fast and I felt better. Now I take it as needed and it saves me from cycling into a worse state during my attacks. I love it."

Learn more about Panic Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)