Hydroxyzine Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 20, 2023.
Applies to hydroxyzine: oral capsule, oral syrup, oral tablet. Other dosage forms:
Serious side effects of Hydroxyzine
Along with its needed effects, hydroxyzine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking hydroxyzine:
Incidence not known
- Chest pain, discomfort, or tightness
- difficulty with swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- irregular or slow heart rate
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- trouble breathing
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking hydroxyzine:
Symptoms of overdose
- Decreased awareness or responsiveness
- severe sleepiness
Other side effects of Hydroxyzine
Some side effects of hydroxyzine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
Incidence not known
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to hydroxyzine: compounding powder, intramuscular solution, oral capsule, oral suspension, oral syrup, oral tablet.
The most commonly reported side effects included sleepiness, headache, and tiredness.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Sleepiness (up to 13.74%)
Common (1% to 10%): Headache
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Convulsion, tremor
Frequency not reported: Anticholinergic activity, central nervous system (CNS) depression, drowsiness, incoordination, involuntary motor activity, psychomotor impairment, stimulation
Postmarketing reports: Dizziness, dyskinesia, dystonia, paresthesia, sedation, seizures, syncope[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Tiredness
Frequency not reported: Antimuscarinic effects, lassitude
Postmarketing reports: Asthenia, malaise, pyrexia, sudden death[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dry mouth
Frequency not reported: QT prolongation, Torsade de Pointes
Frequency not reported: Hypersensitivity reaction
Frequency not reported: Respiratory depression
Postmarketing reports: Bronchospasm[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis (AGEP), bullous condition (pemphigoids, toxic epidermal necrolysis), dermatitis, erythema, erythema multiforme, fixed drug eruptions, increased sweating, maculopapular rash, pruritus, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, urticaria[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Aggression, agitation, confusion, depression, disorientation, hallucination, insomnia, tics[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Dysuria, enuresis, urinary retention[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Accommodation disorder, blurred vision, oculogyric crisis[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Hepatitis, liver function tests abnormal[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Weight gain[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- Can you take hydroxyzine for anxiety and sleep?
- Can hydroxyzine be taken long-term?
- Does Benadryl help with or cause anxiety?
- When can I start drinking if I’m no longer taking hydroxyzine?
- Can you take antihistamines when pregnant?
More about hydroxyzine
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (1,351)
- Drug images
- Dosage information
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Support group
- Drug class: antihistamines
- En español
- Hydroxyzine drug information
- Hydroxyzine (Intramuscular) (Advanced Reading)
- Hydroxyzine (Oral) (Advanced Reading)
- Hydroxyzine Capsules and Tablets
- Hydroxyzine Injection
- Hydroxyzine Syrup
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Vistaril (hydroxyzine). Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals. 2001.
2. Product Information. Atarax (hydroxyzine). Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals. 2001.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. UK Summary of Product Characteristics.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.