User Reviews for Hydroxyzine (Page 6)

Also known as: Vistaril

5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 842 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

TAP · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2018

For Anxiety: "Never again. I took this for anxiety on a Saturday morning. Within an hour my eyelids and face were puffy and swollen and I felt like I was both on speed and totally exhausted at the same time. It made me extremely cranky and agitated with everything and found myself thinking very negative angry thoughts. I laid down for a very deep three hour nap and woke up with my whole body in pain and I was still tired. Now it is 26 hours later and my entire body still aches, especially my feet but the upside is that the swelling of my face and hives on my puffy eyelids is going away. Btw, I’m on no other meds and haven’t taken anything (even ibuprofen) for weeks. I do fine on Xanax but will never do this drug again."

Mj · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I took this at bedtime to help my anxiety. I started sleeping less and less, increased panic attacks, weight loss, and paranoia. I felt like a meth addict after about a month I realized it was the meds and I wasn't going crazy! Don't take this stuff it was seriously terrifying!"

k.f. · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 3, 2018

For Anxiety: "I could never tell if this truly worked because it would make me so insanely tired. I took it before work one day, when I didn’t fully realize this side effect, and almost nodded off standing up. If you take this before bed I could see this working for you."

Stormi Ray · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 2, 2018

For Sedation: "I take this for sleep I am now on one 50mg tablet at bedtime. I have been on this medication for a number of years now I notice I have seemed to build a tolerance for the medication. At first I would fall into a decent good sleep now I lay in bed for hours tossing and turning with my mind racing. I have been this way since middle school I'm an adult now. I don't want to mention this to my doctor because I do not want to go on another medication things work for a while for me then just stop even after increasing the doses to my meds."

Tatiana · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2018

For Sedation: "Took half of the prescribed medication of Hydroxizine and could not sleep . Then, I took half Ambien that I had been given if I had an emergency could not sleep. In the morning I could not open my eyes. A horrible groggy feeling all next day. Hate Hydroxizine. Will never take it, again!"

Apple · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It works but the longer you take it the less it works for you."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Does great for my extreme anxiety but wears off after 12 hours is the only downfall of the medicine. So for working in nursing has it ups and downs but overall not a bad thing to start off with."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2018

For Anxiety: "If I could give it a 0 I would. Absolutely worthless if you really have anxiety."

BikerBabe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 15, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have been taking hydroxyzine for about 9 months now. I have been dealing with my husband going through Social Security Disability (which he did get after 34 months! And a father-in-law who is in the mid stages of Alzheimer's and is still at home. I take one dose 25 mg 3 times a day. However, with my script I can take more. (Depending on how I react to the events in my day.) Yes, it does calm my anxiety down and helps me to deal with the issues at hand. It is different than taking Valium, but it gets the job done for me!"

Landers · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 10, 2018

For Sedation: "For me, the drug works well for sleeping through the night. I started on it for hives and it worked well because it made me drowsy then sleep so I guess talks to the nerves that were causing the issue. Later but after researching its other uses I tried it in place of Xanax at bedtime. It works. For this med I didn't experience nightmares or night sweats that I have experienced on other meds (not Xanax but other things like natural supplements and OTC PM pills). It takes 30-60 minutes to take effect. I started cutting my dose in half due to the heavy grogginess I felt when I woke up. Which is a horrible feeling that makes it hard to function and my only remedy was to sleep more. Even with it cut in half I have noticed less groggy but still groggy. That is the only issue I had with this drug. Try it on a night before you don't have to work or get up for anything to see what works for you."

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It just doesn't do anything for me. I've even had panic attacks on this stuff. I took it as prescribed for up to 3 months, it's very weak I do get that but it doesn't even have a placebo effect on me."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2018

For Anxiety: "Was given hydroxyzine for anxiety and self-induced panic attacks ( I say self-induced because I would actually let my mind create a panic attack just by over-thinking it). These would keep me up at nights which increased my anxiety. Doctor prescribed Zoloft 50 mg which only have me a bad reaction the first night. Now that I am on hydroxyzine 20mg before bed, I can rest much better and feel relaxed throughout the day even when I get intrusive thoughts. It took about 1-2 weeks for full effect to kick in, so be patient. A support system, meditation, exercise and prayer have helped through this as well."

Ape June 23, 2018

For Sedation: "Took 25mg about an hour ago 1st time. Getting off opioids. Now feeling tired, drowsy, relaxed. Going to bed. Usually wake middle of night with difficulty falling back to sleep. I hope it works"

Atrain June 22, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was just prescribed this & can't speak on it yet. But you must understand that some people lack the enzymes to break down certain medication, it's not going to effect everyone the same."

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2018

For Anxiety: "Helps a little bit but not too much, I haven’t experienced any drowsiness at all."

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 14, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It doesn't work at all for me and the doctor doesn't want to get in trouble for with the government for prescribing benzos with pain meds. The government rules everything and doctors are useless. Guess I will just have go to the streets for my meds now."

Jane · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2018

For Allergies: "This med made my mouth so dry, that I could not talk or swallow easily. I have stopped taking it. A relief to feel moisture in my mouth again."

Savannah · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "Prescribed Atarax for anxiety by my doctor after coming in for breathing difficulties. My lungs were doing their job but my anxiety made me feel like I couldn't get a breath. I took 25 mg when I got home and within an hour I felt immediately calm and sleepy. I am no longer gasping for air or panicking, but this stuff is strong and I slept for 12 hours (though I needed it because I didn't sleep much the night prior). Atarax is also an antihistamine, so my normally itchy skin is as calm as can be. 10/10. Works well. Wouldn't take everyday, as it makes me extremely sleepy."

Smitten94 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2018

For Allergies: "Atarax works for the itchiness I get from allergies but does not stop my nasal congestion from them"

Ivanisgreat · Taken for less than 1 month May 30, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have extreme OCD and in January when I was relapsing because I stopped my meds cold turkey, I was able to not have any panic attacks because of the Vistaril. I took 100 mg and it took me from being extremely anxious to mildly or moderately anxious. It worked for 4 hours. It did make my memory foggy, but I like it because it’s worked better for me than any benzo. I like it and I strongly recommend it to anyone. Now that my anxiety is under better control because of my new meds, I notice a smaller effect from it. It helps me when I eat too much sugar and my anxiety spikes, to prevent anxiety attacks. I love it!"

L · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 29, 2018

For Anxiety: "Both my daughter & I were prescribed this for anxiety. Waste of time. Just a glorified antihistamine."

Roxanne · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2018

For Anxiety: "Used mainly for anxiety, then allergies. Using 2 months started 1 tab 10 mg daily. At first seemed ok but then a few weeks in I noticed blood sugar coming down. I began 2 tabs a day and head felt spacey, and began to lose my voice. I felt like I was losing my balance and felt weak. Went back to one tab daily but voice not back it's been a week. Have high blood pressure and diabetic and I can tell I'm getting a bad reaction. Now my insomnia is back. I'll stop it completely because it's not helping me. Dr originally prescribed 10 mg 3 times daily. I'd be passed out on the floor if I took that much. Very bad for me."

Eve · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2018

For Anxiety: "I get loopy from this medication. I use it for panic attacks and after about 15-30 minutes you can start to feel it. It works great. Makes it impossible to focus though and makes me feel kinda high. Not in a bad way though and I've not had a problem with it yet."

BipolarBarry · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I like vistaril. I'm on a myriad of other drugs. I find it funny when people say it is prescription Benadryl. One Benadryl puts me out. If you re looking for the same effect as a benzo... keep moving. It takes the edge off. I do not take it PRN. I take it daily. You just feel relaxed and care less about your problems. I take 100mg 2 Daily. I hope it helps."

Alk · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2018

For Anxiety: "Makes me tired so I’m more anxious I won’t get jobs done that must be done. Racing thoughts still. Still panicking but just too tired to fuss :/"

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)