User Reviews for Hydroxyzine (Page 4)

Also known as: Vistaril, ...show all 10 brand namesAtarax, Vistaril IM, Hyzine, Vistaject-50, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistazine, Vistazine 50

Allergies

Anxiety
5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 800 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

For Anxiety: "This med is terrible look I took it the first day I got it I had terrible side effects that lasted forever. I took it the next day and I took it with my allergy and depression meds all together I had extreme numbness in in left side with stiff neck and pressure with pain the side. It is calming down now. But now my neck feels like someone is choking me and pulling my neck it's on both sides"

JELLOPUPOY (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I’ve taken this medication on and off I take it whenever I feel overwhelmed and I’m filled with anxiety this medication helps me relax my mind it’s also good when I can’t sleep at night. My doctor had told me to try it and I have a lot of allergies to medication so this medication has helped me with a lot of different uses. Allergies, to anxiety to sedation. So I’m gonna day 10 our of 10 I recommend."

Tink (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have been off of Atarax for 2 months and am still experiencing side effects of weaning off: body itching, sensitive skin."

Barrbax (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

For Sedation: "Haven’t slept much in the last 3 months or so. Have been taking this medication at midnight for a few nights, of which tonight is the third. I have not slept yet. Shame this hasn’t worked for me, maybe it will for others. Doctor would not prescribe anything else. Racing mind from anxiety coupled with lack of sleep is absolutely pickling my head. The medication causes no drowsiness, no after effects, slight reduction in anxiety, but about as effective as a bandaid on a limb-removing axe wound. Good luck."

123456 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

For Anxiety: "This is the first anti anxiety drug I have tried. It works for me very well, and a nice side benefit is that it helps me sleep. I also take Trintellix and Olanzapine. It didn’t seem to add to any side effects, except for drowsiness."

Jay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2018

For Anxiety: "I’m on hydroxazine and clonidine for anxiety and they don’t seem to be working."

Joe (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

For Allergies: "I had a sudden outbreak of eczema after a year of family health issues that caused anxiety--plus the rash was making me more anxious and it itched constantly. I also have sinus allergies. The dermatologist prescribed Hydroxzine HCl - 10mg. and said I should take it two times a day. I took it that first night and slept through the night. By the second day (still took only one 10 mg. tablet), the eczema started to calm down and I simply felt calm myself overall. It has been two weeks now, and the rash is gone and my head is clearer than it has ever been in my life. I am wondering how long I can remain on this drug. I see that others say the effects diminish after a while, but if I stay on this low dose, I am hoping I can stay until all the other issues of family health problems are resolved. I am wondering if there is a limit to how long one can stay on this drug. I have no side effects and at present feel it is like a miracle. I am in my 70s."

rz (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "Never again. I took this for anxiety on a Saturday morning. Within an hour my eyelids and face were puffy and swollen and I felt like I was both on speed and totally exhausted at the same time. It made me extremely cranky and agitated with everything and found myself thinking very negative angry thoughts. I laid down for a very deep three hour nap and woke up with my whole body in pain and I was still tired. Now it is 26 hours later and my entire body still aches, especially my feet but the upside is that the swelling of my face and hives on my puffy eyelids is going away. Btw, I’m on no other meds and haven’t taken anything (even ibuprofen) for weeks. I do fine on Xanax but will never do this drug again."

TAP (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I took this at bedtime to help my anxiety. I started sleeping less and less, increased panic attacks, weight loss, and paranoia. I felt like a meth addict after about a month I realized it was the meds and I wasn't going crazy! Don't take this stuff it was seriously terrifying!"

Mj (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "I could never tell if this truly worked because it would make me so insanely tired. I took it before work one day, when I didn’t fully realize this side effect, and almost nodded off standing up. If you take this before bed I could see this working for you."

k.f. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2018

For Sedation: "I take this for sleep I am now on one 50mg tablet at bedtime. I have been on this medication for a number of years now I notice I have seemed to build a tolerance for the medication. At first I would fall into a decent good sleep now I lay in bed for hours tossing and turning with my mind racing. I have been this way since middle school I'm an adult now. I don't want to mention this to my doctor because I do not want to go on another medication things work for a while for me then just stop even after increasing the doses to my meds."

Stormi Ray (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2018

For Sedation: "Took half of the prescribed medication of Hydroxizine and could not sleep . Then, I took half Ambien that I had been given if I had an emergency could not sleep. In the morning I could not open my eyes. A horrible groggy feeling all next day. Hate Hydroxizine. Will never take it, again!"

Tatiana (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It works but the longer you take it the less it works for you."

Apple (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "Does great for my extreme anxiety but wears off after 12 hours is the only downfall of the medicine. So for working in nursing has it ups and downs but overall not a bad thing to start off with."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

For Anxiety: "If I could give it a 0 I would. Absolutely worthless if you really have anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have been taking hydroxyzine for about 9 months now. I have been dealing with my husband going through Social Security Disability (which he did get after 34 months! And a father-in-law who is in the mid stages of Alzheimer's and is still at home. I take one dose 25 mg 3 times a day. However, with my script I can take more. (Depending on how I react to the events in my day.) Yes, it does calm my anxiety down and helps me to deal with the issues at hand. It is different than taking Valium, but it gets the job done for me!"

BikerBabe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2018

For Sedation: "For me, the drug works well for sleeping through the night. I started on it for hives and it worked well because it made me drowsy then sleep so I guess talks to the nerves that were causing the issue. Later but after researching its other uses I tried it in place of Xanax at bedtime. It works. For this med I didn't experience nightmares or night sweats that I have experienced on other meds (not Xanax but other things like natural supplements and OTC PM pills). It takes 30-60 minutes to take effect. I started cutting my dose in half due to the heavy grogginess I felt when I woke up. Which is a horrible feeling that makes it hard to function and my only remedy was to sleep more. Even with it cut in half I have noticed less groggy but still groggy. That is the only issue I had with this drug. Try it on a night before you don't have to work or get up for anything to see what works for you."

Landers (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It just doesn't do anything for me. I've even had panic attacks on this stuff. I took it as prescribed for up to 3 months, it's very weak I do get that but it doesn't even have a placebo effect on me."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "Was given hydroxyzine for anxiety and self-induced panic attacks ( I say self-induced because I would actually let my mind create a panic attack just by over-thinking it). These would keep me up at nights which increased my anxiety. Doctor prescribed Zoloft 50 mg which only have me a bad reaction the first night. Now that I am on hydroxyzine 20mg before bed, I can rest much better and feel relaxed throughout the day even when I get intrusive thoughts. It took about 1-2 weeks for full effect to kick in, so be patient. A support system, meditation, exercise and prayer have helped through this as well."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

For Sedation: "Took 25mg about an hour ago 1st time. Getting off opioids. Now feeling tired, drowsy, relaxed. Going to bed. Usually wake middle of night with difficulty falling back to sleep. I hope it works"

Ape June 23, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was just prescribed this & can't speak on it yet. But you must understand that some people lack the enzymes to break down certain medication, it's not going to effect everyone the same."

Atrain June 22, 2018

For Anxiety: "Helps a little bit but not too much, I haven’t experienced any drowsiness at all."

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "It doesn't work at all for me and the doctor doesn't want to get in trouble for with the government for prescribing benzos with pain meds. The government rules everything and doctors are useless. Guess I will just have go to the streets for my meds now."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018

For Allergies: "This med made my mouth so dry, that I could not talk or swallow easily. I have stopped taking it. A relief to feel moisture in my mouth again."

Jane (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "Prescribed Atarax for anxiety by my doctor after coming in for breathing difficulties. My lungs were doing their job but my anxiety made me feel like I couldn't get a breath. I took 25 mg when I got home and within an hour I felt immediately calm and sleepy. I am no longer gasping for air or panicking, but this stuff is strong and I slept for 12 hours (though I needed it because I didn't sleep much the night prior). Atarax is also an antihistamine, so my normally itchy skin is as calm as can be. 10/10. Works well. Wouldn't take everyday, as it makes me extremely sleepy."

Savannah (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018