User Reviews for Hydroxyzine (Page 4)

Also known as: Vistaril

5.6

Summary of Hydroxyzine reviews 6.0 847 reviews

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Tj · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2019

For Anxiety: "Nightmares is all this medication did for me, I do not recommend it. Doctors who prescribe these could care less about your well being. This medication is garbage , I can't believe a doctor would give 3 a day , for what ??? If its prescribed for sleep why take during the day? I think doctors should take this medication before prescribing to anyone."

JBreezy1 January 25, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "This should only be taken for acute anxiety. It’s extremely effective for stopping panic attacks and excessive worrying, but it is not good to take if you have to complete tasks. It utterly floors you. If you’ve experienced a traumatic event and do not mind being less functional, it will help greatly, especially if you want to get some sleep. But do not take this regularly before work or exercise. I’m a bodybuilder and run quite a lot, but I only take the medication afterward. I would not recommend long-term use, but I’ve been going on 5 years and it is still astoundingly effective when I start panicking and getting irritable. I usually just take it a couple hours before sleeping or earlier if I’m panicking. So, effective as hell, but floors you, but you will not be dysfunctional or overly foggy. It’s effectiveness is actually on par with Xanax, but there is no euphoria or risk for addiction, which is common in anxiety patients."

Diane · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Allergies: "My son, who is 33, was given Vistaril, after going to emergency room, with an autoimmune rash, that was flaring up. He was told to take one to two 25mg capsules every 6 hours, as needed for itching. He began acting very strange. I worked, so I was being told of his behavior by his brother and step dad. I told him to stop taking, then I took the pills away, and flushed them. I counted them, and in the 6 days he had them, he only took 5 pills. This is what vistaril did for him, it caused visual and auditory hallucinations, severe paranoid anxiety, extreme dry mouth, tremors, stuttering, and many other things. He thought everyone was trying to kill him, everyone he looked at had rivers of tears running down their face. It is killing me hearing all of it. He’s been very traumatized. Hopefully, he will be able to feel better soon."

Happyhead · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2019

For Pain: "25 mg of this drug is literally the only thing that helps my migraines. Takes about half an hour to work and I still am aware of my headache but it makes the pain much more tolerable and eliminates the accompanying nausea. I’ll take the profound sedation from this over migraine pain any day"

Ihatemornings · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2019

For Sedation: "TL:DR (Too long: didn't read)- Do your sleep hygiene, schedule time to be groggy when you wake up, drink plenty of water. Full story: History of insomnia, sleep paralysis, anxiety, and depression. I’d started drinking alcohol to get my brain to shut up so I could sleep. Decided that needed to stop so I tried hydroxyzine. (Used Benadryl to fall asleep before, but it only gets me four hours.) Works great for me. Makes me a bit sleepy, but mostly it dulls the anxiety-chatter so I can fall asleep. Still have to do my sleep-hygiene routine before bed - won’t knock me out, just makes the sleep-hygiene stuff work. I take it when I know I can get eight hours. Waking up is hard, but I’ve always woken up hard and this isn’t much worse than usual. Been giving myself two hours to fully wake up before I have to leave the house for decades, so this hasn’t been an adjustment for me. It does noticabealy dry me out. It’s better when I take it with a big glass of water and then continue to hydrate the next day."

Tamara · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribe this medication for my anxiety along with 600 mg ibuprofen it helps relax me and sleep better but I sleep for a long time and find it hard to wanna get up. I think marijuana smokers shouldn’t smoke while taking this medication it caused me hallucinations and paranoias"

Shera January 13, 2019

For Anxiety: "I’ve been on this med 10mg for a few months now. It’s helped me sleep and works well for my anxiety. I take this with Lexapro and I feel great. I can take 4 times a day if I need to or I only have to take once maybe twice depends on how my day goes."

SleeplessHead January 10, 2019

For Sedation: "I was up for 4 or 5 days at a time - my mind would not sleep. Trazodone killed my stomach. Lunesta is consistent in sending me to sleep but also gives my stomach issue. Amitriptyline 20mg worked for only 9 days and raised my blood pressure by 20 points. Hydroxyzine has been the only drug that worked for me so far (well, besides Benadryl), and it has been working for 8 months now. I've tried multiple brands, and TEVA is the one brand that works for me. I have a 25mg script, and I cut off a fraction of it. By itself it no longer sends me to sleep, so I add a sleep aid (cherry juice, jujube, sesame seed, melatonin, glycine, chamomile tea, kiwi, papaya juice, collagen). Sleep aids all stop working after a few days, and I have to move on to the next one, and that is why sharing your experience on internet is so important. I hope you find a solution to your challenge."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2019

For Anxiety: "Took a half of pill of 25mg Hydroxizine HCL around 1pm . Knocked out at 6 pm . I heard my baby crying (waking up) and I couldn't even open my eyes or move . It's like my body was too knocked out to get up when I wanted to . Upon forcing myself out of the deep sleep I guess is what gave me that groggy feeling . The mini hangover as if I needed to hydrate myself . I'm going to try it again today but I'm only going to take half of the half of pill.(yip that's a quarter of a pill). Thank God I didn't take the whole 25mg . Idk what would've happened to me . It did help my racing thoughts but nothing the nervousness and knots in my stomach but I will keep trying as small amount then maybe build myself up . Benadryl works way better than this for me and when it does knock me out I'm able to get up when I want to but benadryl severely drys me out and dehydrates me and dry mouth."

Tigger · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 4, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I have restlessness, ADHD and a little anxiety. I've taken MANY different meds. I find Vistaril works better than anything else I've ever tried. I highly recommend it!"

This stuff is JUNK · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine) for Anxiety: "I was prescribed this for anxiety, was SUPPOSED to take it 3 times a day or as needed, I took ONE pill at 7:30 pm and was in bed within the hour and slept till 9:30 am the next morning and the next day I just kept falling asleep all day! What makes me so mad is I told my doctor what worked for me and she INSISTED on giving me this sedative instead I was a stay at home mom to a child that was a year old at the time this was given to me and I told her this, knowing that she gave me a straight up sedative that she told me to take 3 times a day and at night to help me sleep, thats NOT what I needed needless to say I took one of these and never took another one. I have anxiety I don't need to be in a coma and I need something that will allow me to take care of my child, I have been on benzos for several years and NOTHING has ever put me out like this did. Do NOT take this and expect to function let alone take care of your kids especially if your at home ALONE!! Thanks but no thanks!!"

ComatoseAngel · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2019

For Sedation: "I have panic disorder, and chronic insomnia, combined with PTSD. Normally, I take ambien 10mg for problems falling asleep, with 1mg of diazapam for nightmares and teeth grinding related to PTSD. I normally have no problem staying asleep. This medication did help me fall asleep, but it took 90 minutes, which is still better than no sleep. After I fell asleep I would describe that sleep as comatose sleep. I woke up about 3 times, but my whole body was completely dead weight. Was able to fall back asleep. After sleeping 12 straight hours, my family member was so concerned she came in to I make sure I was okay. I could barely make words. Still, this was better than no sleep at all. I did notice that my breathing was shallow, but was too drowsy to have any anxiety or concern over it. This probably won’t be my new medication for long, I need to be able to function. Not wanting to spend my whole day feeling comatose."

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2018

For Sedation: "Got an RX for sleep and anxiety. I took one 25mg tab before bed. It made me sleepy, but could not sleep. I ended up having to take 1mg of Lorazepam in order to get to sleep. Will never take again."

L · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2018

For Anxiety: "Was prescribed for mild anxiety 25mg and instructed to take every 8 hours / as needed. It made me too drowsy when I took it during the day to treat the anxiety, almost like a strong benadryl. So I started taking it before bed just to test it and to test if it would help my insomnia and wow, I haven’t slept this good in years!!! It also helps me during the day to feel more calm and even though I take it before bed. Been taking it for a little under two months. So far so good."

M.Mac · Taken for less than 1 month December 23, 2018

For Anxiety: "Well it did its job. It took away my nausea and stopped an active anxiety attack but it knocked me out. I have emetophobia which is the phobia of vomiting. Once I get a stomach ache it's a battle for me to stop the anxiety attack that is most likely going to happen. I did have some really messed up dreams and got cold sweats. I don't sleep well so I don't know if it was just from being knocked out and in a deep deep sleep or what."

marsbar December 19, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this for anxiety at night. It did help me to fall asleep, but it didn't do anything for anxiety. I thought the fatigue and drowsiness would go away the next day, but it's almost a week later, and I am still exhausted. Would much rather take an OTC sleep aid or regular Benadryl than this med."

Boo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2018

For Anxiety: "Been on this med for about one month now off of it for about 5 days. Experiencing more anxiety. Worst I felt in a long time."

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2018

For Anxiety: "Same story as the rest, was on benzos that cure anxiety, switched and no relief from this stuff. It is none addictive, but what does it matter if anxiety attacks happen so often? This company is reaping reward for a drug marketed for anxiety but doesn't do anything for anxiety. "

Leprechaun · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 30, 2018

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine is the most worthless medicine I've ever taken! I suffer from real bad anxiety always have and my doctor gives me this. My Anxiety is so bad that I just can't cope! Pounding heart, shakes, scared all the time I can't even describe what I go through! I don't believe people on here saying that it works so well! Bull! Lies all lies! Klonopin is the only thing that helps me just a little. But now there on this kick about how terribly this drug is and won't prescribe it anymore. I hope some day they go through what I do every day!"

Hypnosis · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2018

For Sedation: "I got prescribed hydroxyzine for insomnia and panic. It didn't help neither. I got the 50 mg, it says take 1 to 2 capsules twice daily as needed. First, it does not help me fall asleep at all after I take it. BUT it does make me want to sleep for 4 days after, once I finally do get to sleep. It makes me insanely tired when I wake up and continues for days after. I also have really bad dreams when I take this. Thumbs down."

Mac · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2018

For Anxiety: "Hydroxyzine is quite possibly the worst medication for anxiety, in my opinion. It did nothing to calm me down. In fact, it made more anxious, jittery, and extremely irritable. It acted like a stimulant rather than a sedative. It's frustrating when you know there are medications out there that are truly effective, but no one will prescribe them. My experience with hydroxyzine has been negative all around."

Kwolf0324 · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 31, 2018

For Anxiety: "I am bipolar, ADHD, and have severe anxiety. I take this when I started getting my anxiety attacks. Chest pains are the worst. I take it at night because it makes me tired. And I continue taking it every night until I don't have any more anxiety the following days. Sometimes it takes about 3-4 days before the panic attacks are calm for a while."

moreluvr · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2018

For Anxiety: "Given this for tension due to anxiety from MDD. Works very well. Even better than Xanax and lasts longer too. Good stuff."

Lani · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2018

For Anxiety: "I've been on this drug for two weeks 25 mg every 6 hours as needed for my anxiety and its been great! I do get extra sleepy after to the point where I can't function, but other than that its really helped me. I can actually get up and go to work. Also, whenever I feel an attack coming on at work I take it and it kicks in within minutes. I have tried 4 other anxiety meds that didn't work it made me worse, I'm so relieved and happy I found this. Good luck and hang in there :)"

Em · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2018

For Anxiety: "Good medication, helps with moderate/mild anxiety. First couple times that I took the medication it made me very sleepy but my body has adjusted and it is a very good as needed medication for anxiety. One side effect that I do have is I get very hot if I take a nap after taking the medication and I wake up sweaty."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)