User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Nausea/Vomiting

Also known as: Vistaril, ...show all 10 brand namesAtarax, Vistaril IM, Hyzine, Vistaject-50, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistazine, Vistazine 50

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 187 medications used in the treatment of Nausea/Vomiting.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

"I sometimes get really bad nausea from anxiety or even the common cold; pair that with a phobia of vomiting and you have a really bad time. Hydroxyzine seems to help reduce my nausea, although it doesn't have much of an effect on that "sick to the stomach" feeling. The cruel irony is that I get stomach cramps and diarrhea unless I take this with food. On the bright side, I don't need a lot of food for this; crackers work quite well."

San (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 12, 2018

"This medicine did nothing for my nausea even at high doses. I don’t recommend."

MMike (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2018

"I have been taking hydroxyzine 10 mg for years . I was prescribed this so long ago, I can’t remember what for. I think it was due to bladder issues. If I do not take this med before bed, I become severely nauseous within an hour of waking. I have tried to wean down to 5 mg by taking 1/2, but I fear I will never be able to completely come off it."

Paula September 7, 2018

"I was first given vistaril while at a 5 day detox center. I asked them to prescribe me whatever they were giving me at this center to be able to sleep as well as not feel nauseous and dry heave. I've been on 25mg a day of vistaril and noticed when I stop taking it I get a nervous nauseous feeling that doesn't really go away until I take a vistaril . Has anyone else noticed any issues when stopping this medication? Can I just continue to take it once a day for years to come or should I wean off?"

Chloe (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Only thing that helps nausea for me. Zofran is like taking a placebo and phenergan gives me restless legs."

Flgal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2016

"Useless."

Stwy2heavn (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

"Ulcer veteran here. Sixteen years ago I had 2 ulcers. Needless to say that's taken care of but I've suffered chronic nausea since. Only recently have I decided the nausea is worse. Doc put me on vistaril 25 x 4. I'm also an anxious person I told the doc. Does nothing for my nausea nor does anything to take the edge off. Ten days so far. I'm seeking help elsewhere."

Frylock7 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

"I had surgery and was prescribed hydroxyzine hcl 25 mg with my hydrocodone for pain to keep from vomiting. I took it every 6 hrs as prescribed, however I definitely had a severe reaction. Night tremors and night paralysis and hallucinations. I woke up thinking I was being followed by ghosts or that another episode where 2 teens were breaking into our house and I could do nothing. My husband said I woke screaming of rats in the bed but have no memory of it. Truly the scariest med I have ever been on."

Paranoid wifey (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2016

"This medication makes me slightly tired but seems to work well for my anxiety. I haven't been taking it long so I'm not sure how well it works for nausea. I have emetophobia so I'm terrified of nausea and vomiting so I really hope it works to keep me from getting sick!"

Libbywednesday (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2013

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I suffer from anxiety and I've tried a lot of medicines that just destroyed my stomach. I also have a "sensitive" stomach. Along with a phobia of vomiting. So add that up and stir in insomnia, makes for a very unhappy me. Vistaril has helped with the nervous stomach aches, the anxiety induced vomiting, and my anxiety while helping my Lunesta be more effective. This medicine is awesome."

Emetophobic (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2012

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I took Paxil for years for menopause symptoms. I tried to go off it several times but had relentless nausea and vomiting. Vistaril worked really well to end this and made it possible to get off Paxil."

Anonymous November 3, 2012

"I have a spasmastic colon and was prescribed Hydroxyzine HCL 25mg along with a smooth muscle relaxant. I take one 25mg Hydroxyzine up to 4 times daily and it has been the only thing that has relieved my nausea. At times for pain I take a 500mg Oxycodone which makes me extremely nauseous. I've discovered if I take one 25mg Hydroxyzine with the Oxycodone I am left with ZERO nausea and 100% relief. HOWEVER there have been times when the Hydroxyzine was not enough, my doctor prescribed me Zofran ODT 8mg for these times. The only time the Hydroxyzine does not work is when I am already profusely vomiting and due to the vomiting am dehydrated which fuels the vomiting. Hope this helps!"

Anonymous May 9, 2010

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I suffered with "nervous stomach" for years and did not know it. I tried everything over the counter and then some Vistaril has dramatically changed my life ."

Anonymous November 24, 2009

"This drug made me extremely tense and anxious."

Anonymous February 7, 2009

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Atarax is the best for relieving nausea, especially while taking pain killers. I have a broken tailbone and am taking Vicodin, which makes me so sick. I take 50 mg of Atarax and the nausea is gone within 20 minutes. It is GREAT. Also helps with anxiety and hives."

Anonymous November 8, 2008

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have had terrible nausea and vomiting for the last 3 months my dr. put me on this and it has worked miracles I am very greatful for it."

cherbear211981 March 21, 2008

"I use hydroxyzine when I am having a reaction to other medications and it relieves my itching and upset stomach. It is also very soothing for anxiety. It doesn't make me sleepy unless I am taking it in conjunction with Vicodin (which I am taking short term for pain)"

praisetheking March 20, 2008