User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Sedation

Also known as: Vistaril, ...show all 10 brand namesAtarax, Vistaril IM, Hyzine, Vistaject-50, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistazine, Vistazine 50

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

"After the death of my brother, I would just lay in bed at night and cry while I relived the whole situation over. OTC medications that make you sleepy didn't help. I was prescribed 25mg. The first 2 or 3 nights I didn't think it was working. I still was staying awake for hours after getting in bed. I started taking it about 2 hrs before bedtime, and I am now falling asleep within 30 mins of being in bed. My anxiety related to my brother's passing is not gone, but with a full nights sleep I can manage my anxiety better. Also I have never in my life dreamed this much and remembered them. I don't know if it is the medicine or if I am just sleeping good enough to dream. They are pleasant dreams, so they are welcomed."

Bri March 31, 2019

"This drug was prescribed to me to help with sleep. It did not do anything for me at all. Like taking a glass of water."

Ted (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

"Works for me for 2 weeks but it stopped working now and I believe my body has developed tolerance to it."

IamWho (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

"I tried this for sleep as my dr said it is used often to help people sleep. I will say it makes you tired. Exhausted actually but 2 hours later I wake up with like almost panic attack symptoms and I have to take a benzodiazepine to combat them. They then last all through the following day. I am so thirsty that I feel like I ate an entire container of salt. The shaky feeling stays with me the entire next day along with feeling exhausted. Like my body is drained. This may work for some people but definietly not for me. Never again"

Cheryl2280 (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

"Hydroxyzine works well initially on high dosage (50 mg a couple times a day) Nightmares, food cravings, mid night as well & unsteadiness during most of day are not welcome side effects but alprazolam etc are off the table & @ least this allows me to rest & not end up shaking from head to toe though mostly extremities."

Delilah (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2019

"I'm going to punish my doctor for this poison! I took 50 mg 4 days ago and I can't still go to work, I'm so tired I can't even walk for 1 hour before crashing. I feel like I'm dying."

John March 3, 2019

"I thought I was THE ONLY PERSON that woke up VERY groggy after taking this for a full nights / 8 hours sleep . I even tried 1/4 of the 50mg pill still woke up groggy . It took me about 2 hours to get " right " by taking a long shower and drinking water .. lots of water ! I don't like this medicine ! I have to find something else so I can SLEEP & not wake up feeling like a zombie ."

Elle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2019

"TL:DR (Too long: didn't read)- Do your sleep hygiene, schedule time to be groggy when you wake up, drink plenty of water. Full story: History of insomnia, sleep paralysis, anxiety, and depression. I’d started drinking alcohol to get my brain to shut up so I could sleep. Decided that needed to stop so I tried hydroxyzine. (Used Benadryl to fall asleep before, but it only gets me four hours.) Works great for me. Makes me a bit sleepy, but mostly it dulls the anxiety-chatter so I can fall asleep. Still have to do my sleep-hygiene routine before bed - won’t knock me out, just makes the sleep-hygiene stuff work. I take it when I know I can get eight hours. Waking up is hard, but I’ve always woken up hard and this isn’t much worse than usual. Been giving myself two hours to fully wake up before I have to leave the house for decades, so this hasn’t been an adjustment for me. It does noticabealy dry me out. It’s better when I take it with a big glass of water and then continue to hydrate the next day."

Ihatemornings (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2019

"I was up for 4 or 5 days at a time - my mind would not sleep. Trazodone killed my stomach. Lunesta is consistent in sending me to sleep but also gives my stomach issue. Amitriptyline 20mg worked for only 9 days and raised my blood pressure by 20 points. Hydroxyzine has been the only drug that worked for me so far (well, besides Benadryl), and it has been working for 8 months now. I've tried multiple brands, and TEVA is the one brand that works for me. I have a 25mg script, and I cut off a fraction of it. By itself it no longer sends me to sleep, so I add a sleep aid (cherry juice, jujube, sesame seed, melatonin, glycine, chamomile tea, kiwi, papaya juice, collagen). Sleep aids all stop working after a few days, and I have to move on to the next one, and that is why sharing your experience on internet is so important. I hope you find a solution to your challenge."

SleeplessHead January 10, 2019

"I have panic disorder, and chronic insomnia, combined with PTSD. Normally, I take ambien 10mg for problems falling asleep, with 1mg of diazapam for nightmares and teeth grinding related to PTSD. I normally have no problem staying asleep. This medication did help me fall asleep, but it took 90 minutes, which is still better than no sleep. After I fell asleep I would describe that sleep as comatose sleep. I woke up about 3 times, but my whole body was completely dead weight. Was able to fall back asleep. After sleeping 12 straight hours, my family member was so concerned she came in to I make sure I was okay. I could barely make words. Still, this was better than no sleep at all. I did notice that my breathing was shallow, but was too drowsy to have any anxiety or concern over it. This probably won’t be my new medication for long, I need to be able to function. Not wanting to spend my whole day feeling comatose."

ComatoseAngel (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2019

"Got an RX for sleep and anxiety. I took one 25mg tab before bed. It made me sleepy, but could not sleep. I ended up having to take 1mg of Lorazepam in order to get to sleep. Will never take again."

Mike (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2018

"I got prescribed hydroxyzine for insomnia and panic. It didn't help neither. I got the 50 mg, it says take 1 to 2 capsules twice daily as needed. First, it does not help me fall asleep at all after I take it. BUT it does make me want to sleep for 4 days after, once I finally do get to sleep. It makes me insanely tired when I wake up and continues for days after. I also have really bad dreams when I take this. Thumbs down."

Hypnosis (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2018

"Got put on hydroxyzine for sleep at 10mg, got increased to 50mg. For awhile, it felt like I was on a horse tranquilizer, now it doesn’t effect me as greatly. When I do take it, I sleep 8-10 hrs/night, but when I don’t, I sleep at most 30 minutes. Genuinely messed up my sleep cycle"

Ash224 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 11, 2018

"I was prescribed hydroxyzine to help me fall asleep. My prescribed dose has increased, but I am still not falling asleep."

Carolina (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2018

"I was prescribed hydroxyzine and was advised to take 1 tablet and if that didn't work take another. Only 2 a night. For the night I stood up mostly the entire day. I was able to doze on my own for 30 min, I timed myself, and I woke up in such a jolt, I thought it was morning. I'm starting to hallucinate even more frequently as I hadn't slept in the past 4 days. I don't know what to do anymore... Melatonin was working in the past and now it can't even knock me out. I want to stop seeing the shadow that lingers near my bed at night! I just want to sleep!"

Sasha (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2018

"Haven’t slept much in the last 3 months or so. Have been taking this medication at midnight for a few nights, of which tonight is the third. I have not slept yet. Shame this hasn’t worked for me, maybe it will for others. Doctor would not prescribe anything else. Racing mind from anxiety coupled with lack of sleep is absolutely pickling my head. The medication causes no drowsiness, no after effects, slight reduction in anxiety, but about as effective as a bandaid on a limb-removing axe wound. Good luck."

123456 (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

"I take this for sleep I am now on one 50mg tablet at bedtime. I have been on this medication for a number of years now I notice I have seemed to build a tolerance for the medication. At first I would fall into a decent good sleep now I lay in bed for hours tossing and turning with my mind racing. I have been this way since middle school I'm an adult now. I don't want to mention this to my doctor because I do not want to go on another medication things work for a while for me then just stop even after increasing the doses to my meds."

Stormi Ray (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 2, 2018

"Took half of the prescribed medication of Hydroxizine and could not sleep . Then, I took half Ambien that I had been given if I had an emergency could not sleep. In the morning I could not open my eyes. A horrible groggy feeling all next day. Hate Hydroxizine. Will never take it, again!"

Tatiana (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2018

"For me, the drug works well for sleeping through the night. I started on it for hives and it worked well because it made me drowsy then sleep so I guess talks to the nerves that were causing the issue. Later but after researching its other uses I tried it in place of Xanax at bedtime. It works. For this med I didn't experience nightmares or night sweats that I have experienced on other meds (not Xanax but other things like natural supplements and OTC PM pills). It takes 30-60 minutes to take effect. I started cutting my dose in half due to the heavy grogginess I felt when I woke up. Which is a horrible feeling that makes it hard to function and my only remedy was to sleep more. Even with it cut in half I have noticed less groggy but still groggy. That is the only issue I had with this drug. Try it on a night before you don't have to work or get up for anything to see what works for you."

Landers (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2018

"Took 25mg about an hour ago 1st time. Getting off opioids. Now feeling tired, drowsy, relaxed. Going to bed. Usually wake middle of night with difficulty falling back to sleep. I hope it works"

Ape June 23, 2018

"I take 20 mg of hydroxyzine to fall asleep. It works wonders for me. It lets me fall into a deeper sleep much faster. I sleep for a solid 8 hours uninterrupted with this dose. The downside to this drug is that it’s much more difficult to get up in the morning. I offset this by sleeping earlier so I have more time in the AM. I also get dry mouth. Other than that, it’s an effective sedative."

AJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

"I was prescribed this for panic attacks. Does not work for panic attacks as it can take an hour to hit you and all it really does is make you tired. I was still having tremors and myoclonic jerks trying to sleep in the middle of a long attack. However it was really good for sleep even though I built a tolerance to it fast. It does have a bit of a calming effect I could see useful for mild worrying. I'm also very sensitive to medication as several have put me in the ER so just not having any severe effects puts a drug at least a 5 and then some if it does something helpful. I found this to be easily tolerated as long as you don't suffer from bradycardia."

s'ok (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2018

"I agree with the others about the after effect. It was like I drank a keg of beer. And, these were only 10 Mg prescribed 1 or 2 for sleep. I think that so called "doctor" was trying to make my life worse. Never again."

TJ (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

"I was taking 0.5 mg Alprazolam and melatonin to get to sleep and the doctor switched me to hydroxyzine. Hydroxyzine has no effect on me, I might as well take nothing. Going back to the Doctor for a discussion period."

Richietwo (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

"I have been on this for a little while, I have not been taking them though. Last night I took two, one pill is 100mgs. I have always had an issue with sleeping, it was either not sleep at all or have very bad nightmares. I was so tired and I couldn't sleep so I took them. I passed out around 8pm and woke up around 2pm. I didn't wake up once, although I felt like death all day. I was still tired and I felt like a zombie."

Sarah (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018