User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Sedation

Also known as: Vistaril

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Em · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 7, 2019

"I’ve been taking Hydroxyzine for about 2 years. And boy does it make me sleep. Almost a little too much. But my insomnia and anxiety are so awful that I would be up for 3 days straight if I weren’t taking it, so I would really rather be sleeping too much rather than not at all. The only things I can really say that are bad is it gives me pretty bad headaches and it’s made me sleep through my alarm quite a few times."

cindylouwho · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

"I was prescribed this for sleep. It makes me sleepy, but causes a lot of jerking and panicky feeling as I'm falling asleep and causes me to wake up in the middle of the night with confusion and jerking reflexes. Will not take it again."

AngelDiamond · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2019

"I came to the dr because I had some sort of rash and I couldn’t sleep. This medicine “took off the edge”. I’m giving it 8 stars because I didn’t have any side effects on it - and it does have very very mild sedative effect even lesser if you had a Chamomile tea (A chamomile tea with 3-4 bags of Chamomile will put you out with more “ooh, I’m feeling groggy” than this). It does something but super mild and gentle medicine - not anything like a real sleeping pill (I had those in the past). But still these days I’m just preferring the old fashioned power lifting in the gym: trust me if you lift right before bedtime without doing any cardio, slow pace, and follow by a jacuzzi tub you will start yawning in no time. To me the effects of this drug are too insignificant to be taking it, who knows what long term effects it could have on me - so I quit taking it in about a week, and my rash was gone by then."

Jm · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2019

"I take two 50mg pills of hydroxyzine before bedtime, along with 5mg of melatonin to help sleep. I can fall asleep within 15 minutes as before I would lay awake tossing and turning all night with my mind racing. No real side effects to speak of, maybe some grogginess in the morning but nothing I can't handle."

Jonathan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2019

"When I first developed GAD and was having my first bout of insomnia, Atarax did not work (dose of 50mg nightly). But once the episode finally mellowed down a bit (a year or two later) I began taking it again and it was working very well, I get a solid 7-8 maybe 10 hours of sleep on it (now at a single dose of 12.5mg before bed). My only complaint is that it may become less effective over a longer stretch of time. And may cause some very slight lapses of memory, as anticholinergics do. I recommend taking the Hydroxyzine HCL tablets as I have heard they are best for anxiety as opposed to the other."

leelee · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

"I have severe anxiety & insomnia that I never went to the doctor for because I can't afford a behavioral type of doctor. However after I was prescribed oxy & stopped cold turkey my withdrawals were all mental and gave me the worst anxiety & insomnia I hadnt had since highschool. I hadnt been taking the Oxycontin for that long but I think I did just enough to where my body was like “woah, no” When I went to my doctor I told him I was very anxious about him prescribing me more to wean me off of so he prescribed me Hydroxyzine and Clonidine. When I took the Hydroxyzine before bed time (80mg) I slept but only for about 3 hours. However, after my days got better and went on the Hydroxyzine worked great. If you have SEVERE insomnia I wouldn't say this is the best to have, but it definitely helped. I think its more helpful in more mild cases. Hope this helps (:"

Ann June 17, 2019

"I've been on hydroxyzine for numerous years. I take 40 milligram before I go to bed. Most of the time it works great, but I only sleep for 6 hours, but I did sleep hard. Had to stop taking it for a couple days because it does something to my stomach."

AJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 2, 2019

"My doctor prescribed me hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg , I took for 8 months . First I took this medicine then would go to bed, falling sleep real good . If I do not take this medicine I could not fall in sleep so I was addicted to this medicine . Last week I noted I felt so week. I have a weakness in my muscle . When I workout my arm are shaking, what ever workout I do my my muscle are shaking, my advise to every one please do not take this med . I have doctor appointment next week , I will find out what happened to my muscles ."

unicornhearts · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Prescribed 25 mg Vistaril 1 to 2 pills as needed at night for sedation and anxiety. On the first 3 nights it made me sleep very deeply. Woke up several times gritting my teeth. Next day felt drunk and slept way too much. I was irritable and overwhelmed by everything. The 4th night which was last night I didn't sleep as well and woke up way too early. Also the drunk drowsy feeling is gone. I may quit taking it but am going to stick with it another week to see how it helps with anxiety."

crazysleepy May 21, 2019

"Have insomnia for weeks now. Fell down the steps I was so sleepy and went to urgent care to make sure I didn't break anything. A PA gives me this to help me sleep. I have tried 1 pill, 2 pills, yet at no dose has made me sleep! Instead I lay awake all night with a racing heart, feeling weird and crazy, anxiety. I feel insane, slurring my words, can barely walk straight, etc. I am new at my job so I have no choice but to come and I look and act a like a drug addict. Going to PCP tomorrow who I hope can give me sleeping pills. I don't understand why they are scared to give you sleeping pills when science says you need sleep but they give out opiates like candy."

Sleepless in NY · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2019

"I’m titrating off of Klonopin, a terrible drug, with awful side effects while on it, and in getting off of it. My Doctor has prescribed hydroxyzine 10mg f or during the taper which allows me to sleep soundly. I’m down on the Klonopin, and plan to reduce it again this month. My only complaint is being tired and sleepy for the entire next day. It’s very difficult at the gym to complete my workouts. Just researched the 1/2 lifetime of it. It is at the least 20 hours. I’m going to try taking it earlier at night. Hope this helps!"

mar23 · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

"This hydroxyzine was prescribed to me for anxiety and it makes me irritated and so sleepy. I could be in a deep sleep all day and all night which makes it hard for me to get up for work in the A.M. I'm supposed to take it 3x's a day (25mg) but one is enough! Hydroxyzine works great for insomnia, I give it that but for my anxiety not to good. I've had nights of just bad dreams kind of like the body is asleep mind still awake and it sucks."

Bek · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2019

"I have used hydroxyzine to help with sleep ,insomnia and it works great when I’m tossing and turning too much at night. I don’t use it every day."

Bri March 31, 2019

"After the death of my brother, I would just lay in bed at night and cry while I relived the whole situation over. OTC medications that make you sleepy didn't help. I was prescribed 25mg. The first 2 or 3 nights I didn't think it was working. I still was staying awake for hours after getting in bed. I started taking it about 2 hrs before bedtime, and I am now falling asleep within 30 mins of being in bed. My anxiety related to my brother's passing is not gone, but with a full nights sleep I can manage my anxiety better. Also I have never in my life dreamed this much and remembered them. I don't know if it is the medicine or if I am just sleeping good enough to dream. They are pleasant dreams, so they are welcomed."

Ted · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

"This drug was prescribed to me to help with sleep. It did not do anything for me at all. Like taking a glass of water."

IamWho · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

"Works for me for 2 weeks but it stopped working now and I believe my body has developed tolerance to it."

Cheryl2280 · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2019

"I tried this for sleep as my dr said it is used often to help people sleep. I will say it makes you tired. Exhausted actually but 2 hours later I wake up with like almost panic attack symptoms and I have to take a benzodiazepine to combat them. They then last all through the following day. I am so thirsty that I feel like I ate an entire container of salt. The shaky feeling stays with me the entire next day along with feeling exhausted. Like my body is drained. This may work for some people but definietly not for me. Never again"

Delilah · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2019

"Hydroxyzine works well initially on high dosage (50 mg a couple times a day) Nightmares, food cravings, mid night as well & unsteadiness during most of day are not welcome side effects but alprazolam etc are off the table & @ least this allows me to rest & not end up shaking from head to toe though mostly extremities."

John March 3, 2019

"I'm going to punish my doctor for this poison! I took 50 mg 4 days ago and I can't still go to work, I'm so tired I can't even walk for 1 hour before crashing. I feel like I'm dying."

Elle · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2019

"I thought I was THE ONLY PERSON that woke up VERY groggy after taking this for a full nights / 8 hours sleep . I even tried 1/4 of the 50mg pill still woke up groggy . It took me about 2 hours to get " right " by taking a long shower and drinking water .. lots of water ! I don't like this medicine ! I have to find something else so I can SLEEP & not wake up feeling like a zombie ."

Ihatemornings · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2019

"TL:DR (Too long: didn't read)- Do your sleep hygiene, schedule time to be groggy when you wake up, drink plenty of water. Full story: History of insomnia, sleep paralysis, anxiety, and depression. I’d started drinking alcohol to get my brain to shut up so I could sleep. Decided that needed to stop so I tried hydroxyzine. (Used Benadryl to fall asleep before, but it only gets me four hours.) Works great for me. Makes me a bit sleepy, but mostly it dulls the anxiety-chatter so I can fall asleep. Still have to do my sleep-hygiene routine before bed - won’t knock me out, just makes the sleep-hygiene stuff work. I take it when I know I can get eight hours. Waking up is hard, but I’ve always woken up hard and this isn’t much worse than usual. Been giving myself two hours to fully wake up before I have to leave the house for decades, so this hasn’t been an adjustment for me. It does noticabealy dry me out. It’s better when I take it with a big glass of water and then continue to hydrate the next day."

SleeplessHead January 10, 2019

"I was up for 4 or 5 days at a time - my mind would not sleep. Trazodone killed my stomach. Lunesta is consistent in sending me to sleep but also gives my stomach issue. Amitriptyline 20mg worked for only 9 days and raised my blood pressure by 20 points. Hydroxyzine has been the only drug that worked for me so far (well, besides Benadryl), and it has been working for 8 months now. I've tried multiple brands, and TEVA is the one brand that works for me. I have a 25mg script, and I cut off a fraction of it. By itself it no longer sends me to sleep, so I add a sleep aid (cherry juice, jujube, sesame seed, melatonin, glycine, chamomile tea, kiwi, papaya juice, collagen). Sleep aids all stop working after a few days, and I have to move on to the next one, and that is why sharing your experience on internet is so important. I hope you find a solution to your challenge."

ComatoseAngel · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2019

"I have panic disorder, and chronic insomnia, combined with PTSD. Normally, I take ambien 10mg for problems falling asleep, with 1mg of diazapam for nightmares and teeth grinding related to PTSD. I normally have no problem staying asleep. This medication did help me fall asleep, but it took 90 minutes, which is still better than no sleep. After I fell asleep I would describe that sleep as comatose sleep. I woke up about 3 times, but my whole body was completely dead weight. Was able to fall back asleep. After sleeping 12 straight hours, my family member was so concerned she came in to I make sure I was okay. I could barely make words. Still, this was better than no sleep at all. I did notice that my breathing was shallow, but was too drowsy to have any anxiety or concern over it. This probably won’t be my new medication for long, I need to be able to function. Not wanting to spend my whole day feeling comatose."

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2018

"Got an RX for sleep and anxiety. I took one 25mg tab before bed. It made me sleepy, but could not sleep. I ended up having to take 1mg of Lorazepam in order to get to sleep. Will never take again."

Hypnosis · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2018

"I got prescribed hydroxyzine for insomnia and panic. It didn't help neither. I got the 50 mg, it says take 1 to 2 capsules twice daily as needed. First, it does not help me fall asleep at all after I take it. BUT it does make me want to sleep for 4 days after, once I finally do get to sleep. It makes me insanely tired when I wake up and continues for days after. I also have really bad dreams when I take this. Thumbs down."

Learn more about Sedation

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)