User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Sedation

Hydroxyzine has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 161 ratings for the treatment of Sedation. 43% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 35% reported a negative effect.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Sedation.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

YikesItsDrugs July 3, 2021

“My psychiatrist prescribed me 25 mg hydroxyzine every night before bed to help with my insomnia. I took it one time about a month ago and woke up feeling tired and sick. I took a nap about an hour after waking up and felt bad the whole day. I took one again last night at about 11pm. I didn't start to feel drowsy until about 2 am, but when I did it hit me like a truck. I slept through the night, until about noon. I forced myself to get up but could barely move because of how tired my body felt. Right now I feel dizzy with blurred vision, its slightly hard to breathe( feels like theres a weight on my chest), and I'm still exhausted to the point that I can't function properly. Only 25mg and I'm rendered useless for about 12-15 hours and feel like garbage the rest of the day. I also have severe anxiety and this medication makes it go through the roof because I'm not in control of my body to the point that I can't move or see properly.”

Too tired to get up · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

“I was prescribed 25 mg Hydroxyzine to help me sleep. The first day I took it couldn't get out of bed the next day after I woke up I felt so tired and had zero energy. It was bad. So I waited for 2 weeks and tried it again and the same thing happened. I can't live my life this way. I'd rather go without a good nights sleep that dealing with that.”

Reb · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2020

“I was prescribed hydroxyzine to help me stay asleep through the night. I was told to take one 10 mg tablet before bed and increase it to two 10 mg tablets if needed. After taking just one 10 mg tablet I woke up so fatigued I couldn't function. I was falling asleep while eating breakfast (my head was falling onto the table and I was falling asleep). Sitting up felt like it took too much energy even. This fatigue lasted the whole next day. It was miserable. So, I tried taking two and woke up fatigued again. I could barely keep my eyes open all day....even right after waking up from 8 hrs of sleep. I haven't seemed to be any calmer when taking it. It does help a bit with my sinusitis though, but not much and it's not worth the extreme fatigue I feel the next day. I did stay asleep through the night more, but what good is that if the meds make me so fatigued the next day that I can't really function?”

Dani · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2020

“Hello. I am 22 years old prescribed hydroxyzine to help me sleep because I was waking up in the middle of the night from horrible panic attacks afraid to sleep. When I first started taking hydroxyzine as needed it was good and made me feel refreshed. Now recently I took it and I felt so exhausted and tired. Its been 24 hours since I took it and I still don't feel good. Im tired and I've been sleeping but it doesn't help. My body feels so weak and tired and its making my anxiety worse. Is this normal? Should I still be feeling tired even after taking this medication a day earlier. I really don't like this feeling. Never taking this again.”

Rachel1996 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 11, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “Everyone listen up. This is the WORST drug EVER. Within a few months I went from 110 pounds to 178 pounds. Now I am on a very restrictive diet and I exercise as much as I am able to but still cannot lose the weight. I see my psychiatrist on the 27th of this month but I officially have tossed the pills tonight. No more of this medication. I never thought in a million years that I would be considered obese. I am 5'3 and my natural weight is around 110 pounds. The massive weight gain has destroyed any progress I have made in my mental health and it has destroyed my confidence and self-esteem. I feel like crying. I pray that I will start dropping all of the weight soon!!!!!! Never thought this could happen to me!!!!!! We all have moments where we say, "That could never happen to me." But guess what, I was wrong!!!!! If you are concerned about weight gain, never take this drug!!!!!! I want to let people know that they need to BE CAREFUL with this drug!!!!!!!”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

“I currently take 50mg about an hour or so before I’d like to fall asleep for my chronic insomnia. While it’s not a strong sedation, anything is better than nothing. I have had almost no side effects with this drug which is unlike the other medications I have tried. The only minor issue I’ve experienced is if I don’t get at least eight hours of sleep in, I’ll wake up a little extra fatigued. I would recommend taking this medication when you know you’re going to be able to sleep for a while. Hope this helps. ☺️”

Turtle · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

“I've been using 50mg for about a week now. And I'm finally getting a full night's sleep. I average between 7 and 9 hours. Only because my internal clock tells me to wake up. I'm 66 years old I was having a hard time sleeping. I wake up in the morning and I'm ready to go.”

izzy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2020

“I took 2 hydroxyzine before bed as told and the next day I couldn't get up to do anything I was so tired. It took 2 hours to finally kick in and it barely helped. I'm still extremely fatigued at the moment and its been a day since I took the hydroxyzine.”

Cara86 · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2021

“I took this for the first AND last time (hopefully) on July 9 when I was having an Ativan withdrawal. I had constant panic attacks, fits of rage, impulsive violent behavior and this behavior also happened in the waiting room of the hospital so they wheeled me back to a room and I hysterically demanded Ativan and they told me they didn’t have any (I knew that was a damn lie) so they gave me hydroxyzine. I never took it before but I was desperate to calm down so I took it and within 10 minutes I was calm, relaxed and extremely sleepy. The only difference is I was EXTREMELY itchy on this and I complained to my nurse but she said it STOPS itching, but it did the opposite for me. It made me even more paranoid and made me nauseous so eventually I fell asleep and when I woke up, I still felt groggy and clumsy. I think I will stick to Ativan and Xanax, never trying new drugs.”

Wapani June 9, 2021

“My Dr. advised me that it's NOT for daily use over a long period of time because I'll build up a tolerance against it, so I take two 25mg pills at bedtime maybe two or three times a week. It affords me 8 full hours of sleep. If I take just one pill then I'll sleep only 4 hours. Without it, I sleep my 'normal' sleep pattern which is: fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow (literally within 10 - 20 seconds of going to bed), sleep for 45 mins, wake up for 20 mins (at least) then back to sleep for 45 mins or less. I'm awake after that 2nd wake up. When I take it, I actually wake up refreshed. Zero side effects. I've been taking it for approx. 3 weeks now. Without it, I wake up with burning eyes and exhausted. As the days pass with insufficient sleep and rest, I become more agitated, my short term memory erodes and after a week of not getting sufficient sleep, I 'crash' for about 4 or 5 hours. Then it's back to my 'normal'.”

Minday · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

“I was given hydroxyzine 25 mg to help me sleep due to increased stress. I was told I could take it during the day as well if It didn’t make me drowsy. I tried it for a week at bedtime only with poor results. Let’s face it if you’re not sleeping because you are stressed you need something to block those constant thoughts that are keeping you awake. This doesn’t do that. I called and my PCP was out of the office and a different doctor said to take 50 mg which frankly just did two times nothing for me ”

AdoptDontShop · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“I was prescribed hydroxyzine for my anxiety/sleep. My doctor said 1-2 pills for sleep at night. I sleep well with it. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with a panicked/dissociated/confused feeling without it. But I am EXTREMELY exhausted the next day or two. That makes me not want to take it anymore since I’m an absolute zombie. I took a nap and that didn’t even help! Being this groggy makes me nervous but I’m pretty sure it’s the medicine because it happened to me before when I was previously prescribed this for sleep. Be very careful guys, start with the lowest dose and work your way up! I just can’t believe 1-2 days later I’m still exhausted. Lord give me strength ✊”

ser13 November 20, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “My doctor prescribed me this drug Vistaril as I have trouble sleeping. I was getting around 5 hours of sleep and with Vistaril I am now getting 3 hours. It makes you feel drowsy, but not in a good way. Falling asleep on this drug is very difficult. I wake up several times during the night and the next morning I don’t know if I was asleep or awake during the night. I feel the side effects of this drug a whole 24 hours after taking it. The next morning after taking it for sleep, my muscles do not work properly and I feel like I’ve lost motor function in my limbs and fingers. My brain is not comprehending information quickly and I have a hard time typing and reading. I was out and felt like I had to be taken to emergency because of how much anxiety I was feeling with my body feeling limp and weak. Everything about this drug effected me negatively. Didn’t help with my anxiety. Didn’t help me fall asleep. I’ve only taken this drug 3 times (not even in a row) and will not be taking it again.”

sparkle · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

“Was prescribed 50mg hydroxyzine by my sleep doc to help fall asleep faster. I took it twice and it ruined a perfectly good weekend. Was so hungover I was just miserable. Took a 4 hour nap each day, which was actually the highlight. Awful. Would rather stare at the ceiling for hours than this.”

NKarina · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2021

“I came to this site to see if it’s normal to feel so crummy after taking this to sleep. While I am now ‘asleep’ for 8.5 hours, I am certain the sleep is not restorative. I wake feeling weird, groggy, detached and tired all day. My reflexes are slow and emotions are off. I prefer night time anxiety and sleeplessness to a full day of floating in the clouds. Never taking again.”

Kj · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 14, 2019

“Prescribed hydroxyzine after trying trazodone (made me wake up every few hours with night sweats and more anxiety!) Hydroxyzine has given me back my sleep! I take either 12.5 to 25 mgs and fall asleep within 15 minutes. I stay asleep through the night and the next day I may be a little loopy on occasion but it’s better than having horrible anxiety and panic attacks.”

C11 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 6, 2020

“I've taken hydroxyzine for about 3-4 years and while it hasn't made a massive difference in my sleep, it does help me wind down and ease into bed. I've dealt with sleep apnea, insomnia, and hypersomnia for a long time. To explain how I have both, it's hard to fall asleep, and when I do, I sleep for much longer (about 10-14 hours on average without taking stimulants that help was prevent hypersomnia). But I take this about an hour before bed to help calm down and it's been beneficial. I think that after trying so many medications that this has been the one that works best, doesn't make me feel sluggish or groggy and doesn't affect my sleep negatively.”

Alan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2021

“I've had chronic insomnia for almost 5 months now and my psychiatrist prescribed me hydroxyzine, worked well for the first few days before it just stopped working for me. I started taking it and needing more just to feel a mild sedative effect until the point where it just did nothing anymore. A few weeks passed and I decided to try it again in which it worked and made me sleep easily, but once again a sort of tolerance built up again and it stopped working. Overall, it is good for short term use but not for anything chronic, don't take too much or it will make you very groggy as well.”

AlyO · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 15, 2021

“I have been on 10MG at bedtime each night for 8 years. This not only helps me sleep with no next day zombie feelings but also takes the edge of my anxiety. I hope I can take these little magic pills forever. They have been a God Send!”

KClean July 1, 2008

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “I have tried Ambien, Cymbalta, Clonazepam, etc for insomnia. All have had the opposite effect - keeping me awake worse than if I hadn't taken anything. Nothing has helped me sleep as well as Vistaril, with no side effects. I wake up refreshed every morning without any fatigue.”

syd November 23, 2019

“I'm an 18 y/o girl who hasn't been treated for anxiety, but recently hasn't been able to function bc of anxiety caused by stresses in life and Emetophobia. Prescribed hydroxyzine 25mg before bed for sleep/anxiety, and out of all the things I thought would happen, I didn’t expect for it to not work. So my doctor upped it to 50mg, which thankfully does work for me, but only if I am already drowsy, and let it work by laying down and just trying to fall asleep, which can be difficult bc it triggers my phobia. but I’ve found when I can do that, it works perfectly and I sleep well and through the night, while still being able to wake up and function normally. I’ve been able to catch up on sleep and eat more which feels amazing. The only downside is that it doesn’t always work to put me to sleep because it does little for my anxiety. Overall I would recommend this to anyone. I absolutely hate taking drugs and will avoid them if I don’t truly believe I need them, but these have been amazing.”

Lee October 26, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “Took Vistaril once and scared to take it again- I've taken clonazepam for insomnia and that feeling of drowsy is a gentle lull, benadryl is like a mildly hazy pull to sleep.... within 30 min of taking hydroxamine I felt like I was being forced against my will to sleep, and I couldn't help but resist, completely defeating the purpose. I want to see if it'll help but man that feeling was scary.”

Des · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

“I’ve always had insomnia. Even as a child. I’ve taken trazodone and mirtazapine for sleep and neither worked well. My nurse practitioner prescribed me hydroxyzine and it has been awful. I’ve been on it for a little over a week and I haven’t had a good night sleep since. I fall asleep well but, I wake up 3-4 hours after and am wide awake. This does not help for sleep in my experience. I feel horrible. I’m so exhausted.”

Ev October 1, 2019

“I was prescribed this 2 years ago for insomnia side-effects of Zoloft but found while it helped me sleep, I was so drowsy for most of the morning, so I stopped. Almost 2 years later, even though I was off Zoloft, my insomnia was at it's peak & was awake every morning around 4am. For 11 months I was also suffering from 10-15 migraines/month with multiple auras/day. Both, my doctor & neurologist tried preventative medications but I am sensitive to most meds & did not react well. To counteract insomnia, I went back on Hydroxyzine & wow, this stuff works wonders! I sleep SO much better now and after being on it steady for a month, I haven't had a single migraine! I thought it was my imagination, decided to do more research & sure enough, this IS used for migraine prevention! Honestly, this is my wonder-drug! I am less irritable now, getting amazing sleep & not a migraine in 4 wks! I will GLADLY put up with being tired for a few hours in the mornings.”

Falen · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2016

“I love this medication... when I lay down for sleep at night I cannot turn my mind off. Its so frustrating! My doctor recommended this medication because its non habit forming. It works like a charm for the most part... I will still wake up sometimes but I am so relaxed I can easily fall back asleep. I don't have a problem getting up in the morning or starting my day. My only concern is taking this medication everyday and hope its not harmful to my body.”

Learn more about Sedation