User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Interstitial Cystitis

Hydroxyzine has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 8 ratings for the treatment of Interstitial Cystitis. 50% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Interstitial Cystitis.

Jratt October 19, 2011

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “Atarax was very effective in treating interstitial cystitis. I could not take the generic form. I was told when I went to get a refill that it had been taken off the market. Nothing has helped me as much as Atarax. ”

Shaelie · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 30, 2019

“After trying absolutely everything for the constant pain and even having my poor bladder excruciatingly distended in theatre with no relief, my urologist who often attends the worldwide conferences, my life changed. I take 25 mg of hydroxizine at night and when things are going really well, can manage just fine on 15 mg at night. I totally symptom free and although it took a month to adjust to the drowsiness side effect, I could not survive without this pain relief.”

RWM · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 2, 2020

“This was a blessing in disguise. After being diagnosed for UTIs many times a year, come to find out it was IC. My Urogynecologist prescribed hydroxyzine along with bladder installations, 2x per year. I take hydroxyzine, 25mg at bedtime. It works!!”

Macy · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2020

“I have interstitial cystitis and my urologist put me on 100mg hydroxyzine at bedtime, after having to stop amitriptyline due to high blood sugar. I've been sleeping but am having the worst pain and frequency all day which normally isn't a problem for me. I usually have a lot of pain in the early morning hours. I've been hurting all day! I read that hydroxyzine helps IC, the opposite with me”

Random Task · Taken for 10 years or more December 15, 2019

“I've been taking hydroxyzine since 2001 for interstitial cystitis pain. It's very effective at reducing my pain and bladder urgency. My dosages have varied from 5mg - 25mg. Hydroxyzine along with a caffeine-free diet, calcium citrate, magnesium citrate, potassium citrate and the herb slippery elm my bladder is generally pain-free. It also helps me sleep better.”

Nancy Botwin · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2019

“I have to take about 4 pills daily (25mg) but it really was night and day. The pain and urgency is under control even when I eat triggering foods... except around menses when it does not seem as effective. I love this medication but wish there was something that did all the same stuff without making me sleep 11 hours at night. I take my pills at 7am and 1pm.”

Cori · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 25, 2020

“I started taking 25mg Hydroxyzine for my IC in December 2019. At first, it worked great and I cried for joy because I was finally in no more pain, I couldn’t believe it. Well, it was too good to be true. As of August 2020, it no longer works. Here’s why: I’m a respiratory therapist and I work night shift. I had a really conflicting schedule one week and hydroxyzine makes me really groggy and it makes it hard to wake up easily for work. I usually only get maybe 5-6 hours of sleep before I have to get back up for work, so taking my med would make this a challenge. I made the mistake of skipping it that week and I’ve regretted ever since. The burning is back and I’m absolutely miserable. I’ve been religiously taking the med ever since in hopes the pain would soon go away again, but I guess the damage has already been done. I’m so mad at myself.”

1BlueCat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 30, 2017

“My urologist pelvic/floor specialist, recommended this medication along with gabapentin and physical therapy for ongoing pelvic pain associated with a diagnosis of IC. I took a pass on the gabapentin (but later regretted it) and started first with hydroxizine. I am on a very low dose (25mg.) and only took half a tablet the first few months @ bedtime. I did have trouble feeling groggy in the morning, so I started taking this dose 1 hour before bedtime which helped. I find that my bladder is not as irritated and that I can eat foods (like chocolate ice cream, condiments) that I could not before taking this medication. If I have a very bad days, I take a whole tablet @ night. It did nothing for muscle spasms, retention and other pelvic pain.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2017

“Definitely helped keep me asleep, but when I woke up the next morning, the first morning void (urination) was painful from not going during the middle of the night! Plus, I had a groggy, hangovers like feeling the entire next day. Skipped a day to make sure the Atarax was the reason, then when I took it again, same exact thing. It doesn't knock you out, but it does help with nocturnal. At this point, I'd rather wake in the middle of the night to void instead of waking up in so much pain with a hangover that I didn't at least enjoy getting. Plus, holding it in increases your UTI chances, and those are doubly not fun with IC.”

Learn more about Interstitial Cystitis