User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Interstitial Cystitis

Also known as: Vistaril, ...show all 10 brand namesAtarax, Vistaril IM, Hyzine, Vistaject-50, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistazine, Vistazine 50

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

"My urologist pelvic/floor specialist, recommended this medication along with gabapentin and physical therapy for ongoing pelvic pain associated with a diagnosis of IC. I took a pass on the gabapentin (but later regretted it) and started first with hydroxizine. I am on a very low dose (25mg.) and only took half a tablet the first few months @ bedtime. I did have trouble feeling groggy in the morning, so I started taking this dose 1 hour before bedtime which helped. I find that my bladder is not as irritated and that I can eat foods (like chocolate ice cream, condiments) that I could not before taking this medication. If I have a very bad days, I take a whole tablet @ night. It did nothing for muscle spasms, retention and other pelvic pain."

1BlueCat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2017

"Definitely helped keep me asleep, but when I woke up the next morning, the first morning void (urination) was painful from not going during the middle of the night! Plus, I had a groggy, hangovers like feeling the entire next day. Skipped a day to make sure the Atarax was the reason, then when I took it again, same exact thing. It doesn't knock you out, but it does help with nocturnal. At this point, I'd rather wake in the middle of the night to void instead of waking up in so much pain with a hangover that I didn't at least enjoy getting. Plus, holding it in increases your UTI chances, and those are doubly not fun with IC."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Atarax was very effective in treating interstitial cystitis. I could not take the generic form. I was told when I went to get a refill that it had been taken off the market. Nothing has helped me as much as Atarax. "

Jratt October 19, 2011