User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Allergies

Also known as: Vistaril

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 498 medications used in the treatment of Allergies.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Angry · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2019

"Was given this hydroxyzine for Poison Ivy rash and now the second day in, I can't walk or do anything, complete garbage. Worst case of cotton mouth ever, middle of night barely made it to water."

Linda · Taken for less than 1 month May 17, 2019

"My doctor prescribed 50mg hydroxyzine to reduce swelling in my hands and feet until he could research my meds to see if they were the cause of the intermittent pain and swelling. The swelling went down after a few days so I decreased the dose to 25mg. After only two doses the swelling came back. I resumed the 50mg. It was not my meds causing this so it’s either idiopathic or genetic angioedema."

radha · Taken for less than 1 month May 15, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Atarax makes me drowsy and tired"

Diane · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "My son, who is 33, was given Vistaril, after going to emergency room, with an autoimmune rash, that was flaring up. He was told to take one to two 25mg capsules every 6 hours, as needed for itching. He began acting very strange. I worked, so I was being told of his behavior by his brother and step dad. I told him to stop taking, then I took the pills away, and flushed them. I counted them, and in the 6 days he had them, he only took 5 pills. This is what vistaril did for him, it caused visual and auditory hallucinations, severe paranoid anxiety, extreme dry mouth, tremors, stuttering, and many other things. He thought everyone was trying to kill him, everyone he looked at had rivers of tears running down their face. It is killing me hearing all of it. He’s been very traumatized. Hopefully, he will be able to feel better soon."

rz · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2018

"I had a sudden outbreak of eczema after a year of family health issues that caused anxiety--plus the rash was making me more anxious and it itched constantly. I also have sinus allergies. The dermatologist prescribed Hydroxzine HCl - 10mg. and said I should take it two times a day. I took it that first night and slept through the night. By the second day (still took only one 10 mg. tablet), the eczema started to calm down and I simply felt calm myself overall. It has been two weeks now, and the rash is gone and my head is clearer than it has ever been in my life. I am wondering how long I can remain on this drug. I see that others say the effects diminish after a while, but if I stay on this low dose, I am hoping I can stay until all the other issues of family health problems are resolved. I am wondering if there is a limit to how long one can stay on this drug. I have no side effects and at present feel it is like a miracle. I am in my 70s."

Jane · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 12, 2018

"This med made my mouth so dry, that I could not talk or swallow easily. I have stopped taking it. A relief to feel moisture in my mouth again."

Savannah · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Prescribed Atarax for anxiety by my doctor after coming in for breathing difficulties. My lungs were doing their job but my anxiety made me feel like I couldn't get a breath. I took 25 mg when I got home and within an hour I felt immediately calm and sleepy. I am no longer gasping for air or panicking, but this stuff is strong and I slept for 12 hours (though I needed it because I didn't sleep much the night prior). Atarax is also an antihistamine, so my normally itchy skin is as calm as can be. 10/10. Works well. Wouldn't take everyday, as it makes me extremely sleepy."

Smitten94 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2018

"Atarax works for the itchiness I get from allergies but does not stop my nasal congestion from them"

Rayne62 · Taken for 10 years or more April 14, 2018

"I've been taking 50mg 3 times a day for 15 plus years and can truly say that the benefits of taking this drug I have had no side affects."

Atomheartmother December 17, 2017

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I keep yawning but I don't actually fall asleep."

J.Angela September 22, 2017

"As for me, I've been struggling with allergic rhinitis and my doctor said it was hereditary so every now and then I have it when triggered with less sleep, stress and poor nutrition. Now to the results, it just works wonders for me since my rhinitis usually pairs with acute bronchitis so it's very hard for me to sleep because my nose is clogged and I have to breathe with my mouth and it can be one of the worst things because my cough would then be triggered by the dryness of my throat. Every time I take Iterax(Philippines brandname) I can finally sleep smoothly without being disturbed and helps with the itchy but hurting throat and clogged nose. Hope this helps. Been a living witness to this medication"

Eliii August 8, 2017

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I found Atarax as the best antihistamine pills for my Allergy. I have eczema and each time I used Atarax it help me a lot."

Dannyggg December 16, 2016

"Allergies cleared when the spring came"

SkyCam November 14, 2016

"I am highly allergic to...oregano! Sounds strange - but true. I will develop blisters on my lips where the oregano touched. It started when I was cooking spaghetti in a friend's kitchen. Going through the spice cabinet, I found powered oregano. I smelled it and found it smelled so good, that I kept smelling it from it's container as I cooked. The next morning the end of my nose, around both nostrils, and my lips were covered with blisters! Before doing this, I had no allergy to oregano! (so don't do this!) Now, when I feel a blister beginning to form on my lips, I have to take fast action. Atarax works well and quickly...which is what I need in order to stop the reaction."

Sneezy McGee · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 10, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I have really terrible environmental allergies. My allergist has dubbed me his "most allergic" patient. I take Zyrtec and Singulair in the morning but I'm still itching and sneezing by night time. Atarax relieves my allergies at night like magic. It also helps when I have a bad reaction to my allergy shots or when something I'm extremely allergic to is in season. I also like that it relaxes me and makes me sleep. Definitely a bonus. I can also take them as needed or multiple times per day unlike other allergy medicines."

Buffye · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2016

"I love this medication, I have been in and out of hospital due to kidney problems. I can not take any opioids without getting hives this has worked beautifully as long as I take it beforehand I have no problems."

Ash28376 · Taken for 10 years or more May 17, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication when I was 7 years old to treat my skin allergies and it really helps me. It's the kind of medicine that relaxes you and clears your tension to the point where it makes you very sleepy. A major side effect of this drug is that it causes drowsiness so it would be best to take it maybe 2 hours prior to your bed time. I also always wake up very hungry and I believe it has something to do with your hormones. It can be taken to reduce anxiety, help insomnia, or maybe even increasing your appetite. Never experienced anything bad from it. Been on the medication for 12 years."

TheInsecureFrog · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2016

"I normally take Allegra and Flonase for my allergies. However, when I have breakthrough allergic symptoms, all I have to do is take a small dose of hydroxyzine (10 mg) and I feel significantly better within half an hour. Granted, it does make me feel somewhat sedated. However, that's pretty much a given for all first generation antihistamines. Furthermore, it makes me feel less out of it than Benadryl does. And, unlike Benadryl, hydroxyzine doesn't make my asthma worse; it actually improves my lung function! It does make me feel sleepy for at least 8 hours, but my allergies make me feel sleepy anyway, so this side effect doesn't really matter."

BrownCrush · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 19, 2016

"I itch day and night I tried lotion it relieves a little and I told my doctor that I've taken a lot of allergies pills and still itch Doctor started on me on 180 mg Vistaril and itching is controlled and so are my allergies even though I fall asleep I take it twice a day which I need it to control all over itching because sometimes it's so bad I scratched ."

sanjeevS February 25, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "It works as sleeping pill!! rather then for allergic!!"

aleras · Taken for 10 years or more November 20, 2015

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I have used this medication for anxiety allergies and to halp me fall asleep for 14 years, and have not had any reaction other than those needed. Now the insurance states that it is not appropriate for use in the elderly. I am 69."

LilLotus · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2015

"This medication was prescribed to me in may (2015) 150mg as needed to treat anxiety but my pharmacist also said that it also treats allergies such as skin conditions. I take 50mg at night for sleep because of anxiety and I sleep really good at night. I usually have a eczema breakout in really cold winters and humid summers. Ever since I started this med I have not had any skin allergies. This med also works well for detox such as xanax and clonopin addiction. People who whine about this med not working its probably because u haven't been on it long enough for the med to work I asked my pharmacist about it"

mmoooommm July 20, 2015

"My 4 1/2 year old started taking this when he was 2 for a severe dust mite allergy. He takes the maximum dose for his weight. It does help tremendously. If he misses a dose, his skin breaks out in a rash. Unfortunately for him, it has the opposite effect than it does with most people. It causes hyperactivity and insomnia."

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more October 22, 2014

"I absolutely love this medicine, it has changed my life. I have had eczema since I was a baby and extremely sensitive skin, to the point where my clothes bother me and just little things that make me very irritable. I started this medication as a liquid when I was three years old, now I am 18 and I take it as a pill everyday. To anyone out there that is questioning taking it, I highly recommend. I haven't had many side effects but I will warn you, depending on the dosage it basically puts you to sleep. I take it right before I go to sleep and I dont recommend taking it at any other time."

TeeBabii June 19, 2014

"I have just recently started taking this for allergies that leaves me with hives and/or rashes. I have found it very effective, it doesn't take long before it starts working. I have realized that it does sedate me and/or is very effective, its very hard to wake up while under the influence of this medicine."