User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 519 medications used in the treatment of Allergies.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Allergies

"This med made my mouth so dry, that I could not talk or swallow easily. I have stopped taking it. A relief to feel moisture in my mouth again."

Jane (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Prescribed Atarax for anxiety by my doctor after coming in for breathing difficulties. My lungs were doing their job but my anxiety made me feel like I couldn't get a breath. I took 25 mg when I got home and within an hour I felt immediately calm and sleepy. I am no longer gasping for air or panicking, but this stuff is strong and I slept for 12 hours (though I needed it because I didn't sleep much the night prior). Atarax is also an antihistamine, so my normally itchy skin is as calm as can be. 10/10. Works well. Wouldn't take everyday, as it makes me extremely sleepy."

Savannah (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

"Atarax works for the itchiness I get from allergies but does not stop my nasal congestion from them"

Smitten94 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 7, 2018

"I've been taking 50mg 3 times a day for 15 plus years and can truly say that the benefits of taking this drug I have had no side affects."

Rayne62 (taken for 10 years or more) April 14, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I keep yawning but I don't actually fall asleep."

Atomheartmother December 17, 2017

"As for me, I've been struggling with allergic rhinitis and my doctor said it was hereditary so every now and then I have it when triggered with less sleep, stress and poor nutrition. Now to the results, it just works wonders for me since my rhinitis usually pairs with acute bronchitis so it's very hard for me to sleep because my nose is clogged and I have to breathe with my mouth and it can be one of the worst things because my cough would then be triggered by the dryness of my throat. Every time I take Iterax(Philippines brandname) I can finally sleep smoothly without being disturbed and helps with the itchy but hurting throat and clogged nose. Hope this helps. Been a living witness to this medication"

J.Angela September 22, 2017

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I found Atarax as the best antihistamine pills for my Allergy. I have eczema and each time I used Atarax it help me a lot."

Eliii August 8, 2017

"Allergies cleared when the spring came"

Dannyggg December 16, 2016

"I am highly allergic to...oregano! Sounds strange - but true. I will develop blisters on my lips where the oregano touched. It started when I was cooking spaghetti in a friend's kitchen. Going through the spice cabinet, I found powered oregano. I smelled it and found it smelled so good, that I kept smelling it from it's container as I cooked. The next morning the end of my nose, around both nostrils, and my lips were covered with blisters! Before doing this, I had no allergy to oregano! (so don't do this!) Now, when I feel a blister beginning to form on my lips, I have to take fast action. Atarax works well and quickly...which is what I need in order to stop the reaction."

SkyCam November 14, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I have really terrible environmental allergies. My allergist has dubbed me his "most allergic" patient. I take Zyrtec and Singulair in the morning but I'm still itching and sneezing by night time. Atarax relieves my allergies at night like magic. It also helps when I have a bad reaction to my allergy shots or when something I'm extremely allergic to is in season. I also like that it relaxes me and makes me sleep. Definitely a bonus. I can also take them as needed or multiple times per day unlike other allergy medicines."

Sneezy McGee (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2016

"I love this medication, I have been in and out of hospital due to kidney problems. I can not take any opioids without getting hives this has worked beautifully as long as I take it beforehand I have no problems."

Buffye (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016

"I was prescribed this medication when I was 7 years old to treat my skin allergies and it really helps me. It's the kind of medicine that relaxes you and clears your tension to the point where it makes you very sleepy. A major side effect of this drug is that it causes drowsiness so it would be best to take it maybe 2 hours prior to your bed time. I also always wake up very hungry and I believe it has something to do with your hormones. It can be taken to reduce anxiety, help insomnia, or maybe even increasing your appetite. Never experienced anything bad from it. Been on the medication for 12 years."

Ash28376 (taken for 10 years or more) May 17, 2016

"I normally take Allegra and Flonase for my allergies. However, when I have breakthrough allergic symptoms, all I have to do is take a small dose of hydroxyzine (10 mg) and I feel significantly better within half an hour. Granted, it does make me feel somewhat sedated. However, that's pretty much a given for all first generation antihistamines. Furthermore, it makes me feel less out of it than Benadryl does. And, unlike Benadryl, hydroxyzine doesn't make my asthma worse; it actually improves my lung function! It does make me feel sleepy for at least 8 hours, but my allergies make me feel sleepy anyway, so this side effect doesn't really matter."

TheInsecureFrog (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

"I itch day and night I tried lotion it relieves a little and I told my doctor that I've taken a lot of allergies pills and still itch Doctor started on me on 180 mg Vistaril and itching is controlled and so are my allergies even though I fall asleep I take it twice a day which I need it to control all over itching because sometimes it's so bad I scratched ."

BrownCrush (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "It works as sleeping pill!! rather then for allergic!!"

sanjeevS February 25, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I have used this medication for anxiety allergies and to halp me fall asleep for 14 years, and have not had any reaction other than those needed. Now the insurance states that it is not appropriate for use in the elderly. I am 69."

aleras (taken for 10 years or more) November 20, 2015

"This medication was prescribed to me in may (2015) 150mg as needed to treat anxiety but my pharmacist also said that it also treats allergies such as skin conditions. I take 50mg at night for sleep because of anxiety and I sleep really good at night. I usually have a eczema breakout in really cold winters and humid summers. Ever since I started this med I have not had any skin allergies. This med also works well for detox such as xanax and clonopin addiction. People who whine about this med not working its probably because u haven't been on it long enough for the med to work I asked my pharmacist about it"

LilLotus (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

"My 4 1/2 year old started taking this when he was 2 for a severe dust mite allergy. He takes the maximum dose for his weight. It does help tremendously. If he misses a dose, his skin breaks out in a rash. Unfortunately for him, it has the opposite effect than it does with most people. It causes hyperactivity and insomnia."

mmoooommm July 20, 2015

"I absolutely love this medicine, it has changed my life. I have had eczema since I was a baby and extremely sensitive skin, to the point where my clothes bother me and just little things that make me very irritable. I started this medication as a liquid when I was three years old, now I am 18 and I take it as a pill everyday. To anyone out there that is questioning taking it, I highly recommend. I haven't had many side effects but I will warn you, depending on the dosage it basically puts you to sleep. I take it right before I go to sleep and I dont recommend taking it at any other time."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) October 22, 2014

"I have just recently started taking this for allergies that leaves me with hives and/or rashes. I have found it very effective, it doesn't take long before it starts working. I have realized that it does sedate me and/or is very effective, its very hard to wake up while under the influence of this medicine."

TeeBabii June 19, 2014

"This medicine is way too powerful for my issue. I was attacked by bedbugs and given this prescription for itching. I am overly tired, get dizzy spells, and have had consecutive nightmares. It works if you plan on spending the next 24 hours at home."

Ediddit (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2014

"My sinus drainage wouldn't stop with Benadryl and decided to try hydroxyzine at 50mg every 8 hours. But within 5 hours my sinus started draining again. Every six hours worked fine then after two days, the drainage was under control. Helped me sleep better at night and side effects were minimal."

DRDU January 8, 2014

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I have medicine and food allergies."

Tulaya December 8, 2013

"Best thing I have ever had to help with my allergies just love it."

kittylove25 November 13, 2013

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Used this medicine during a course of pain management, it helped tremendously with the itchy feeling you get from opioid medication. It was just short term use but made a great impact!"

twofunfeet July 26, 2013