User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Vistaril

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Details August 10, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I’ve been taking atarax for anxiety after my doctor took me off clonopin. It is a hard battle I have with myself now, I am getting more panic attacks now but not as strong because of atarax it’s still hard especially when my panic attacks come at night now."

Lea · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "My psychiatrist prescribed me Vistaril for anxiety after trying plenty of other drugs. (Celexa, Lexapro and Klonopin I was also trying other drugs like Prozac, Ritalin and intuniv). The first couple days it had made me tired but a like with all antihistamines I've ever taken, it wears off incredibly quickly and I build a tolerance quite quickly. I was specifically prescribed it for anxiety but as far as that goes, I haven't noticed a difference whatsoever. My anxiety is pretty severe and I've had it since I was really young. Although, everyone is different and this will work differently for everyone. I have been taking it for about three and a half weeks and the only reason I still take it is because I get nausea and allergies. But I haven't noticed a dent in my anxiety with it. I've always needed something relatively strong for my anxiety."

Tilaaa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 5, 2019

"So I know everyone's body is different some meds work for others and some don't. But I will say this medication really does help me anytime I'm feeling anxious or having a panic attack I will take one and even though it takes a while to kick in it really does help. I'm also prescribed clonazepam and I take that with it and that really helps but on the days that I don't take the clonazepam the hydroxyzine makes me feel really drowsy really relaxed it like removes all the tension and the nervousness and the anxiousness from my body I hope that this helps."

PJI19 · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2019

"Hydroxyzine reminds me of Deplin. The medicine makes anxiety worse. Definitely feels like it creates panic disorder. Staying on it for longer than a week would probably send me to the hospital. Do not recommend this medication."

Candi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 2, 2019

"This stuff (hydroxyzine) doesn't do much for me honestly I'm thinking about just trying to Xanex somehow again because my Doctor won't give me anything that works. I probably won't but I want too. My doc knows that I'm a former addict. I've been sober for 2 years now. Seriously though, hydoxyzine is garbage. Don't notice a difference with my anxiety at all. I even have panic attacks on a regular basis and I still can't find a doc who will even give me a try with benzos which work best for me. I don't even care just need something that works. Sorry about my ranting just wanted to get that out lol. Does anyone know what other meds there are for anxiety except Vistaril and benzos? Maybe I should try some paroxetine or escitalopram or one from those groups and see how that goes long term."

Wth2019 July 29, 2019

"I have taken the 25mg hydroxyzine three times a day for about a 4 days...I hate it. Worse experience I’ve ever had with an anxiety medication. It’s not only made my anxiety worse but makes me so angry to the point where I’m almost violent. Clearly this isn’t for me."

lily · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 28, 2019

"So I’ve been on this medicine for about 7 months. It started working actually 4 months ago but at first I wasn’t sure. So my doctor told me to take 2 every night. It started making me relieved and better. It reduced my anxiety symptoms but I still get anxious. But I know that medicine isn't what you should lean on. "

Zion · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

"Literally does nothing for anxiety, absolutely nothing. It will sedate you and calm you in a certain way it’s hard to explain but you will be even more anxious after taking this from the “drugged” feeling, it’s so uncomfortable you will sleep but it will be that half sleep if you know what I mean you will dream and be awake at the same time. The night will go by extremely slow and you will wake up sweating even worse than before. Avoid this medicine it’s just annoying how doctors literally give this for anxiety when I feel it is practically useless"

Louanne · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

"I’ve been taking the medication for 3 months. 25 mg tab 1-2 per day. I use it to help with my insomnia and severe anxiety. It worked for the first 2 months but faded quickly. I upped my dose to 3 pills, then 4 in the past month because of how fast it’s fading. Now I just don’t feel right. I can’t explain it."

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2019

"Since starting this medication, I feel that it truly has only helped me once or twice. In the very beginning it would lessen the anxiety and actually made me have a good nights sleep. But now, it does nothing for me. I’m very saddened by this because it just seems like there is nothing out there that can help with my anxiety."

00 · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2019

"Hydroxyzine worked when I first got on it. I was told that it didn't cause tolerance. Now it's been a year and it doesn't do anything anymore. It used to make me feel tired and relaxed but I don't get those effects anymore. I hate this stupid med"

ZY July 20, 2019

"Although the medication does calm you down and make you sleepy it does literally nothing for anxiety except make it a little worse you will sleep but you will be half asleep the whole time with terrible dreams and you will practically wake up sweating from this."

KB · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 20, 2019

"I've been using hydroxyzine regularly for about 5 years for panic attacks and generalized anxiety, taking 25-50mg as needed. I often take it before bed since that is generally when I have higher anxiety. It can make me mildly drowsy but not consistently. I can take it during the day and function just fine. If I'm highly anxious it doesn't make me sleepy, just calms things down. More often than not it doesn't completely get rid of anxiety, particularly the racing thoughts (I find Ativan and Xanax more effective for that particular symptom), but it makes it significantly more manageable. I've never had any bad side effects from it, just dry mouth sometimes. I would recommend trying it."

Anonymous July 19, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I love this medication!! I take it for PTSD related sleep disturbance. It literally cured my insomnia. It works like a charm and I only take it probably once a week now. It feels good just to have it as my security blanket though. It does make me feel a bit drowsy the next day but it’s so worth it to not have a night when I’m up until 3 am with insane anxiety. It’s also safe for people who are in recovery! Huge plus!"

Nicki · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 18, 2019

"This is okay for anxiety issues. It is a steady calm. I had valium a few years ago and would alternate with hydroxyzine. The valium was for "fresh" trauma to myself. I would recommend the valium for a "true 10 response" if your anxiety is that horrible. I can only say hydroxyzine is ok after several years of therapy and treatment with valium."

Spyderlilly · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2019

"My psychiatrist has put me on hydroxyzine for anxiety/insomnia. Might as well pop a tic tac. Except at least a tic tac will freshen my breath as it promises. Not recommended by me for people with true anxiety issues."

lifes July 13, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Atarax is very helpful with panic attacks, so far I take it only when I'm having panic attacks, not at a regular dose, it takes about 30-60 minutes to work and gives me a warm, safe, sleepy feeling."

Christian July 13, 2019

"I started this medicine for anxiety and he somehow made it worse. On top of that I would wake up with nausea. Not the best experience with this."

Jingo59 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 12, 2019

"I was given hydroxyzine to replace my clonazepam, which, with my C-PTSD, it's not unlike trying to empty the ocean with a tea strainer. While it does help me to sleep, it does little or nothing to mitigate my anxiety. I am bedridden, which means I can't even distract myself from my flashbacks with activity. Since I am also a pain patient, I can no longer take benzodiazepines of any kind. I really wish they had thought alternatives before instituting this ban. I hope it helps someone somewhere with their anxiety and I wish it helped me."

Anonymous July 11, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "This is really not a drug for people with serious, long-term issues with anxiety. But it's also the lowest-risk prescription a Doctor can write, so expect to get this as a first line treatment in lieu of any personalized care. I have taken Vistaril on-and-off for nearly 10 years and while it does help in some specific circumstances, it's just not a particularly effective drug. It basically produces a mild sedative effect that can take some of the edge off of background anxiety. If you take it on a daily basis, expect the benefits to fade somewhat. Increasing the dosage just makes you more drowsy and the side effects worse. If you can identify in advance circumstances that make your anxiety worse, taking a Vistaril before that can help alleviate things a bit. This drug will not stop or even really affect an imminent anxiety or panic attack, and even at it's most effective it won't help with many of the side effects of anxiety (rapid heart beat, trembling, numbness etc)"

TwP · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2019

"So far it works great for me. I have a lot of anxiety and hypochondria. It has helped me to calm down and relax."

Anonymous July 2, 2019

"Stuff doesn’t work. Makes your nerves more choppy. In addition, develops panic attacks. If I took this long term, I would be in the hospital. Makes it hard to concentrate. Better to stay away from."

Gypzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2019

"I've been taking Hydroxyzine HCL 25 mg 3x daily, along with 6 other psych meds. I was given this drug to help with my PTSD & Bipolar. I have had flight mode on for several years But along with my other meds which are (clonazepam, Lamotrigine, Prazosin HCL for night terrors, Quetiapine fumarate, and Bupropion). This mix works great for me."

Ethan June 20, 2019

"I've started hydroxyzine at 10 mg 2 times daily as needed. I quickly figured out that taking my morning and night dose just in the morning helps tremendously withy anxiety about watching my three year old. It makes me smile more at him and I don't have that angry hateful resentment towards him (I know it's not his fault for not being smart enough to do things.. yet.. and that's where it fixed the problem.. because I know it's not normal to let it bother me so much.. And I can interact with him better now!! On the other hand I've been upped TODAY actually to 40 mgs as needed as it DOES get rid of the " oh no I won't be able to sleep worry.. along with 40 mgs of amitriptyline to make me drowsy. Without the hydroxyzine if just be laying in bed.. drowsy as anything with my mind racing. So all in all I feel like a productive person who is also dealing with Cystic Fibrosis, diabetes, gastroparesis and osteoporosis!! It's a lot to process with a lung function of 27% at 28 years old."

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have been taking 50mg of Vistaril every 4 hours for about one week. It was prescribed to me for anxiety. It has worked well and allowed me to function without panic attacks and calms me and keeps me out of fight or flight mode. Life has just been easier entirely. I have had some mild to moderate side effects specifically, a few headaches, impaired coordination and occasional dizziness. I personally would take that over the mind crushing anxiety. I would recommend avoiding operating a vehicle until you're comfortable with the medication and keep your water intake up."

Learn more about Anxiety

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)