User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"This is the first anti anxiety drug I have tried. It works for me very well, and a nice side benefit is that it helps me sleep. I also take Trintellix and Olanzapine. It didn’t seem to add to any side effects, except for drowsiness."

Jay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2018

"I’m on hydroxazine and clonidine for anxiety and they don’t seem to be working."

Joe (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

"Never again. I took this for anxiety on a Saturday morning. Within an hour my eyelids and face were puffy and swollen and I felt like I was both on speed and totally exhausted at the same time. It made me extremely cranky and agitated with everything and found myself thinking very negative angry thoughts. I laid down for a very deep three hour nap and woke up with my whole body in pain and I was still tired. Now it is 26 hours later and my entire body still aches, especially my feet but the upside is that the swelling of my face and hives on my puffy eyelids is going away. Btw, I’m on no other meds and haven’t taken anything (even ibuprofen) for weeks. I do fine on Xanax but will never do this drug again."

TAP (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I took this at bedtime to help my anxiety. I started sleeping less and less, increased panic attacks, weight loss, and paranoia. I felt like a meth addict after about a month I realized it was the meds and I wasn't going crazy! Don't take this stuff it was seriously terrifying!"

Mj (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2018

"I could never tell if this truly worked because it would make me so insanely tired. I took it before work one day, when I didn’t fully realize this side effect, and almost nodded off standing up. If you take this before bed I could see this working for you."

k.f. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2018

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "It works but the longer you take it the less it works for you."

Apple (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Does great for my extreme anxiety but wears off after 12 hours is the only downfall of the medicine. So for working in nursing has it ups and downs but overall not a bad thing to start off with."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2018

"If I could give it a 0 I would. Absolutely worthless if you really have anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2018

"I have been taking hydroxyzine for about 9 months now. I have been dealing with my husband going through Social Security Disability (which he did get after 34 months! And a father-in-law who is in the mid stages of Alzheimer's and is still at home. I take one dose 25 mg 3 times a day. However, with my script I can take more. (Depending on how I react to the events in my day.) Yes, it does calm my anxiety down and helps me to deal with the issues at hand. It is different than taking Valium, but it gets the job done for me!"

BikerBabe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 15, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "It just doesn't do anything for me. I've even had panic attacks on this stuff. I took it as prescribed for up to 3 months, it's very weak I do get that but it doesn't even have a placebo effect on me."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

"Was given hydroxyzine for anxiety and self-induced panic attacks ( I say self-induced because I would actually let my mind create a panic attack just by over-thinking it). These would keep me up at nights which increased my anxiety. Doctor prescribed Zoloft 50 mg which only have me a bad reaction the first night. Now that I am on hydroxyzine 20mg before bed, I can rest much better and feel relaxed throughout the day even when I get intrusive thoughts. It took about 1-2 weeks for full effect to kick in, so be patient. A support system, meditation, exercise and prayer have helped through this as well."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

"I was just prescribed this & can't speak on it yet. But you must understand that some people lack the enzymes to break down certain medication, it's not going to effect everyone the same."

Atrain June 22, 2018

"Helps a little bit but not too much, I haven’t experienced any drowsiness at all."

Tom (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "It doesn't work at all for me and the doctor doesn't want to get in trouble for with the government for prescribing benzos with pain meds. The government rules everything and doctors are useless. Guess I will just have go to the streets for my meds now."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have extreme OCD and in January when I was relapsing because I stopped my meds cold turkey, I was able to not have any panic attacks because of the Vistaril. I took 100 mg and it took me from being extremely anxious to mildly or moderately anxious. It worked for 4 hours. It did make my memory foggy, but I like it because it’s worked better for me than any benzo. I like it and I strongly recommend it to anyone. Now that my anxiety is under better control because of my new meds, I notice a smaller effect from it. It helps me when I eat too much sugar and my anxiety spikes, to prevent anxiety attacks. I love it!"

Ivanisgreat (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

"Both my daughter & I were prescribed this for anxiety. Waste of time. Just a glorified antihistamine."

L (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2018

"Used mainly for anxiety, then allergies. Using 2 months started 1 tab 10 mg daily. At first seemed ok but then a few weeks in I noticed blood sugar coming down. I began 2 tabs a day and head felt spacey, and began to lose my voice. I felt like I was losing my balance and felt weak. Went back to one tab daily but voice not back it's been a week. Have high blood pressure and diabetic and I can tell I'm getting a bad reaction. Now my insomnia is back. I'll stop it completely because it's not helping me. Dr originally prescribed 10 mg 3 times daily. I'd be passed out on the floor if I took that much. Very bad for me."

Roxanne (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

"I get loopy from this medication. I use it for panic attacks and after about 15-30 minutes you can start to feel it. It works great. Makes it impossible to focus though and makes me feel kinda high. Not in a bad way though and I've not had a problem with it yet."

Eve (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I like vistaril. I'm on a myriad of other drugs. I find it funny when people say it is prescription Benadryl. One Benadryl puts me out. If you re looking for the same effect as a benzo... keep moving. It takes the edge off. I do not take it PRN. I take it daily. You just feel relaxed and care less about your problems. I take 100mg 2 Daily. I hope it helps."

BipolarBarry (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2018

"Makes me tired so I’m more anxious I won’t get jobs done that must be done. Racing thoughts still. Still panicking but just too tired to fuss :/"

Alk (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2018

"I’ve been on 50mg of hydroxyzine for about two years now. I have a very severe panic disorder and I take them as needed up to twice a day. I started taking them when I was thirteen, and now as a eighteen year old I am having memory problems due to being on it for such a long period of time. I wouldn’t recommend starting your teen at a dose this high, please consult your doctor!"

Usherhouse (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2018

"I haven't been taking Vistaril for long but I just want to share with anyone considering this drug that it has helped me SO much. I've been battling for almost a year now with different combinations of meds. I am on lithium & was taking Lexapro to help with the additional anxiety/depression I was having and it caused hair loss and I couldn't stay awake or focus. I stopped it and my psych prescribed the Vistaril because I can take it as needed. I don't feel sedated, I feel relaxed. It helps with the depression purely because it eases my anxiety. This morning I had an anxiety attack and even though the Vistaril kicked in when it was over, it helped me handle the residual feelings I was having and I was able to turn my day around and make it a good one. If you don't like it, you can just stop taking it.. but give it a fair shot."

Manda (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

"I've enjoyed the relaxing effect of this. I've been using it regularly for 6 months now. I realize that there are many ways to view this, but am just glad that it fit my expectations very nicely."

cochristian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2018

"This med was given to me for itching caused by anxiety. I've been on this drug for 2 months. I am happy this works for some folks but still itch, am anxious and am unable to sleep. 25 mg 3 x day for me with no results."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

"I was given hydroxyzine 25 mg three times a day to help reduce my need of as many benzos. To say it's useless is false. I have very high anxiety this settles my heart with my kolopin and helps me sleep at night. Great for stomach issues as well. Overall this drug can help and with very little side effects."

Omann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2018