User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"This is coming from someone who has struggled with severe anxiety issues and panic attacks,since I was a young child. Before being prescribed Hydroxyzine, I would have at least 2 panic attacks a day, if not more then that. And my high anxiety levels always interfered with everyday life...I would over think everything, plus I worried about every little thing that happened, it sucked. I'm 25 now, and my anxiety levels are kept at a minimum, due to the Hydroxyzine..I'm able to function normally at work, plus I don't worry as much. I feel like I can be myself again"

NightRaven92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have a severe bipolar, extreme manic depressive, high anxiety, suicidal tendencies and ADHD. I had never taken any medications until recently. I didn't believe anything was wrong. I recently admitted myself to a psychiatric hospital that specializes in chemical dependency and mental illness. I was prescribed Vistaril 50mg every 6hrs as needed. I like this medication a lot. It works quick for me and I've not experienced any issues with making me tired at all and I only use it during the day. But I also have Seroquel 150mg Neurontin two 100mg capsules three times a day and Depakote 500mg 1 in the morning and 2 at bedtime. Vistaril has been great for me."

Craziefemale (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this med on and off for about a year now. While it does well at keeping the anxiety attacks and dissociations at bay. I've noticed the room spinning a few times, and I'm quite irritable."

ianrichardsonco (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have horrible persistent anxiety & panic disorder & have been taking one benzo or another, mainly Klonopin for the past 18 years. I tried all of the other anxiety meds & nothing worked but benzos. I've been on .5mg of Klonopin most recently for the past couple years. Recently I had surgery & was put on Oxycodone for pain. As soon as my psychiatrist found out about this he cut me off my klonopin abruptly after my last prescription ran out. I called his office in a panic & he phoned in a script for Atarax 25mg 1 or 2 pills every 6 hours as needed for anxiety. What a joke. Made my anxiety & panic worse. I am now getting Xanax from other places to treat my anxiety since doctors will not help."

Manic314 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took my first pill after going to the urgent care for anxiety due to stomach issues. I took the first pill that night it kinda helped me sleep. Awoke the next day around 1pm started to get an uncomfortable feeling. Felt super anxious, jittery, cold feet, sweaty palms, tingling sensation in hands and feet. Warm sensation in chest. Felt as if all my nerves in my stomach was in a knot. The more I took the worse it got. Stop taking med 3 days after started and slowly begin to feel like myself at 24-48 hours. Worst feeling ever"

JiBeanz November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After only a day I started to notice and uncomfortable feeling by the third day I was in a deep depression immediately stop taking after day 3 begin to feel back to my norma self in less than 24-48 hours"

Anonymous November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Panic attacks came at 46 when I had negative life experiences we all will get and was prescribed this from a doctor. I never took it,Ii overcame anxiety and I accepted it. I tricked my mind into knowing nothing was going to happen and how did I realize that? Because nothing ever happened and the next day kept coming. When you feel an attack coming say to yourself nothing is going to happen and tomorrow will come and you'll still be here doing fine for sure as your reading this..good luck..and make sure your eating right and exercising."

Fiztroy November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Hydroxyzine last night for the first time. It worked quite well for me, it helped me fall asleep and the next day I felt calm and relaxed. I suffer from panic disorder, insomnia and bi polar. The only side effect I experienced was vivid dreams/nightmares but nothing I couldn't handle since I've always had bad dreams, but it could have been from something else because before taking this medication I would experience them anyways so I can't say that it was entirely due from taking the Hydroxyzine. Maybe it enhanced it but I'm not sure so don't take my word for it. I know it won't take the anxiety away immediately or cure it like Xanax or Ativan would but I believe with continued use it could definitely help! Good luck!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have always struggled with severe anxiety and panic attacks that would happen everyday. Then I was prescribed this medicine, let me tell you that Hydroxyzine works so well..even more important, it helps keep my anxiety issues down to a minimum..and if I feel a panic attack creeping up, this medicine only takes a few minutes to calm me down. I can function normally with my anxiety problems, thanks to Hydroxyzine"

NightRaven92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had anxiety my entire life, specifically with social interactions, and in the past year or two have experienced severe panic attacks. The anxiety and panic are linked to my depression, which altogether led to me being hospitalized. When I was there, they prescribed lexapro for my depression and hydroxyzine for my anxiety. The hydroxyzine meds took me out like a light, I could not stay awake to save my life. And when I was awake, I was completely out of it. After a few months of using it and getting used to it these side effects stopped, however it was hell waiting for them to stop. I would not recommend to anyone working, as I was at the time, but if you're willing to wait out the period of absent-mindedness, it can help calm you down."

Corri444 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Has worked well but it will make you feel loopy for a 1/2 hour or so."

Caseynd (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recently brought myself to the hospital due to chest pains (anxiety, panic attacks). I had no idea what a panic attack was and my EKG showed arrhythmias. I spent 2 days in the hospital and was released with this medication. I have been taking these meds for 4 days now and I feel like my old self again. No more tightness of chest, short breaths, chest pain, and no more feeling like I'm coming undone. When I feel like I may be on the verge of an anxiety attack, I take a pill and I feel like new. I would recommend this to anyone who has panic or anxiety attacks. The best part is, this medication is non habit forming. So take as you go, or as needed. I'm allergic to a lot of different medications and this one has no side effects from what I have felt."

Heart Healthy (taken for less than 1 month) October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"65 yr old and diagnosed with ADD. (was tested) Been on Adderral and Klonipin 12 years. My Doctor kept me on Adderal but replaced Klonipin with hydroxyzine and added Celexa. First night caused my RLS to act up big time so I never took again. Taking care of my 88 year old mother is very stressful so I tried hydroxyxine again last night but took with my ropinrole. No RLS! To be honest I don't think I feel a difference as far as anxiety. Took another one this am. Think my anxiety over rides any med. Need something diff. Will post what Dr. replaced with."

Charcoal1111 October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Have a great deal going on in my life and very anxiety driven. This helped calm me down without making me drowsy. I can sleep and I can relax and not worry about being so spun up. Recommend this drug since it is not habit forming."

Fun2drive (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible med. I weigh 105 and was given VISTARIL 3 times a day. I lost a CHILD and was sad. Grieving and this is what I was given with trazadone and I already was on cymbalta for chronic pain. I couldn't even finish a sentence. Released from hospital ran into a ditch, arrested for DUI. Two nighes in jail. DUI was my own meds. No Alcohol and never drugs in my life. Now I have fines a court date truck repairs and may lose license and probation and community services and I was out of state. I told the Doctor it was too strong but he didn't listen. My life is ruined"

K mac (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I battle depression, anxiety & severe insomnia also allergies. Knocked me out cold & my allergies seemed under control anxiety a little better. Problem I couldn't shake being extremely tired the next day. All I could do was sleep which doesn't help with depression."

KL 2 September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Doesn't do much for my anxiety or promote sleep (I take a dose at bedtime). Vistaril is basically prescription Benadryl."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It helps me sleep but the next day I have trouble breathing. It's almost as if it's hard to exhale but easy to inhale. It's like the weirdest sensation ever. I wonder if I'm allergic to this medication. I do suffer from heart arrhythmias."

29yoldFemale (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed gabapentin, Xanax and hydroxyzine for insomnia. I was weaning myself off from Xanax and the withdrawals and cravings were terrible. I tried hydroxyzine for a night and the next day, absolutely no cravings for Xanax. Not only that, the depression and anxiety, GONE. The vivid dreams are plus. I wake up feeling meaningful and full of hope. I spent the day focused and productive. The next day was the same! This is a miracle drug. I had no idea hope is a chemical."

sproutbun September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ok as a first time user I'm going to give my honest answer based on usage for 3 days now. So my doc prescribed me these because I have developed anxiety disorder. Well, I decided to take these when I start to feel panicked. After 20 minutes or so. I'm easy. Thoughts simmer down. Mind stop racing and negative thoughts seem to push to the back and not to the front as usual. They make me feel mellow and laid back..Mind you. I'm not a drug user of any type so that's probably why they work so well for me. I keep them with me all the time. They don't make me drowsy. However, if I'm relaxed. I can definitely dose off. I recommend these if they are the only medicine you are taking. It seems to work best in my clean system. Hope this helps"

StickyTrouble (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I’ve had severe anxiety my whole life but was never put on anything till about 7 months ago. I was also diagnosed with bipolar, so when I’m manic and having a extremely hard time falling asleep this medicine works. But for my anxiety, which it was prescribed for, doesn’t do anything except make me pass out and not want to do anything for days! It also makes me fall asleep at the drop of a dime, for example while driving! This may work for others, but it’s definitely not the pill for me when it comes to anxiety, though for when I need to get some shut eye it works great!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Speaking as a parent my son has anxiety so bad he was hurting himself, he's 13 with Aspergers so it hard for him to express emotions even though he's been going to therapy and a psychiatrist for 8 yrs...This pill has been a life saver for us, it relieved his anxiety and his allergies...The doctors are pleased as well considering one alternative was to place him in a psychiatric ward"

Leo's Mom (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got my prescription for anxiety. I'm a first timer on these type of meds so I'm cautious. I finally decided to take it tonight because a horrible situation raised and I can't sleep or focus. I must say it's been about 25 min and I'm feeling a little better( thoughts not racing as much) but a little sleepy. I don't know if I'd take this during the day. I'll post an update tomorrow if you care to keep a lookout!! Just trying to help someone maybe- as I experiment."

KeBess (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Doctor prescribed this to me as an alternative to lorazepam for anxiety. I was reluctant at first. Lorazepam works well for me, yet it is stigmatized by doctors. But it works just as well, if not better. Atarax is an antihistime. This means allergies are managed as well."

Mr Layne (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hydroxyzine just made me drowsy with my severe anxiety did not help me at all"

Dfeatherston (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017