User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"Got the prescription of the hydroxyzine 25mgs on a Friday. Picked up my prescription on my way to work. I took 1 pill. I felt great and energetic before I took the pill and probably about 30-50 min., I was in sleep mode. On Saturday, I took a pill in the morning... just to see if it was really the new meds that caused me to feel this way. Yes, same thing happened to me.... I developed extreme dry mouth, extremely tired ( worse than a hangover). All I wanted to do is go lay in my bed and sleep. I stopped taking this medication. I had to work on Sunday evening. This pill would not get out of my system. I drank 2 cups of coffee, chugged water... couldn't get the zombie/sleepy feeling out of my body. BAD BAD MEDICINE!"

Scooter Lee August 29, 2016

"I don't know why they prescribed this for anxiety. It just feelsvlike a high dose of benadryl and I am just waiting for tu feeling to end, then I wake up feeling like my head is heavy and a lot of pressure. It is very unpleasant. Never taking it again."

Marie Reyes August 29, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "On a low dose (25mg) but helped with anxiety and depression, i feel much better since ive been on it. helped lower feelings of sadness and anxiety, makes it easier to live life."

Youngman August 29, 2016

"I took this for a while. Have not taken it in like 1 year, boy can I tell a difference. When I do take it I'm calm and can sleep good. Needless to say that the past year I've had major anxiety attacks, I'm going to ask my Dr to prescribe them again since it seems to calm me down."

Gin2016 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I take 200 mgs at night, it lets me sleep and calms down my mind. It also helps with my eczema and nasal congestion. Warning!!!Do not take this drug if u had or have any heart problems!!!"

Mike M. from California (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 21, 2016

"Here's what I have gathered so far. My quick background: doctor prescribed visatril and 20mg prozac. * I take 50mg every 4 hours * I have really bad hand tremors but I always have a slightly shaky hand so it doesn't bother me too much. * I also get sensitive hands because I can't stop squeezing my hands together and rubbing on it. * super dry mouth/constant thirst * easier time singing * I take 2 to sleep Along with other symptoms. But honestly being able to get out of bed and be able to say hi to my husband and greet teachers at my kids school without wanting to die is well worth the side effects. Although I think the side effects are just my body getting to do what it wants to do without my anxiety trying to suppress it"

Severe Social Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

"My fiancé started this and within a day the worst experience ever. She is a zombie I can't talk to her. Tonight she wrecked our car with our baby inside, lost her phone drove off made it home and 2 hours later when I finally found her she acted like nothing happened. I have never seen her so low and completely out of it. She falls asleep walking"

Please don't take (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

"Faithfully taking 25 mg/day with Prozac to help with anxiety and depression. I worry more now than ever. Not pleased with this new concoction."

Wifeywhatnots August 18, 2016

"I was prescribed 10 MG for my anxiety and panic attacks and to help me sleep. I like to use it when I just need to clear my head after a stressful day (don't take that the wrong way- I don't abuse it) to help me get to sleep. It usually puts me out pretty soon but latley it hasn't. Don't know what's up with that.."

Avery H August 18, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I've been take Atarax 50's 3x's daily PRN.. I also take Ativan.. but only if absolutely needed.. I have found that Atarax helps me emensely (sp).. It doesn't make me tired or groggy anymore.. It just calms me down when having some anxiety or feeling out of sorts with my mood.. It does a good job at leveling me out"

Joshy1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "It made me very sleepy. I didn't like feeling so tired. With other medications for anxiety I had more sense of calmness rather than just feeling loopy and tired. I won't use it again"

Anonymous July 28, 2016

"Very happy with my experience taking 50 mg. as needed for anxiety and insomnia issues. This med takes the major edge off and calms me and I sleep well. I am also taking Lexapro, which controls my panic attacks but I still experience occasional episodes and this med is perfect. Gets a 10 as a non-addictive alternative to benzos!"

Kensington Eddington (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2016

"Today I started taking my prescription Hydroxyzine 25 mg for anxiety. So far so good it's relaxing me which I love , I'm told that I can take it 3x daily if needed so far I only took 1 it has been 6hours as we speak. So I'm going to give it a 10"

Mrs.LaBrock (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

"I have been taking hydroxyzine for social phobia and chronic anxiety and panic attacks for over 7 years. It is the only med that has helped. I tried everything! Helps with sleep. Works like a Xanax and klonopin where you take as needed. But I also take at night for sleep. I would definitely recommend!!!!"

Amonzo (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have just started this med. This is day 3 of taking it and it has not helped with anxiety at all. In some ways it makes it worse. It clouds my head and not being able to think heightens my anxiety. It does although put me to sleep within a couple hours (Zzzquil does that job better though), but the anxiety stays present."

Jehremy (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

"Ice been taking hydroxy 50mg for a month now for anxiety and it does calm me down and not to mention the itching every where i get on my body when being anxious. Love it i usually try and take it at bed time only cuz it does knock me out"

Cholostryanxious July 18, 2016

"I suffer from extreme panic attacks when being alone and I feel that all this medication did was make me extremely drowsy. The first two days I took this medication, all I could do and wanted to do was lie around. I had no motivation to do much and I felt on edge. Although it gave me a calming affect and helped my anxiety a little, I wish this wouldn't make me so drowsy. Will talk to doctor and hopefully be prescribed something different."

Warhawk1997 July 16, 2016

"I was recently diagnosed with anxiety, like 1 month ago. I really thought I was going to die, anxiety was the worst thing that ever happened to me, it frustrated me to hear the doctors say just deep breath your not going to die, like they truly didn't understand the feeling, anxiety is the worst feeling ever, I cried 3 days straight constantly feeling like the air was being taken from me and just depressed it was hard to describe the amount of emotions I felt. My doctor prescribed this medication and to be honest it's the best thing that ever happened to me. From now and then I can feel my chest tightening but never as severe. I just want to let those who feel helpless know if I got through it you can to be strong you can do it"

mixie (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

"I started taking this about a month ago because my anxiety gradually got so bad that I didn't sleep for a week. The first few nights it worked amazingly but it was difficult to wake up but then I'd be very alert and awake all day. However, my doctor told me to take it twenty minutes before bed and I would not feel the effect until much later. I actually took my dose about 40 mins ago and I'm just now starting to relax."

sleeplessdove July 11, 2016

"Was prescribed hydroxyzine originally by a doctor who saw me in an ER for a panic attack. Since taking hydroxyzine everything has gotten worse. Even though I've stopped taking it, I'm still not back to where I was. Since taking hydroxyzine, I've hit an a new low & I'm having trouble coming back from it. While on hydroxyzine I thought I was going insane. Seeing things, hearing voices telling me to kill myself, paranoid to the point that I felt like people were following me & out to get me, started smoking, barely slept & always felt like a ticking time bomb. Quit my job outta nowhere because I couldn't handle anymore stress, getting outta bed every day was too hard. This medicine is horrible. Wouldn't recommend to anyone with depression/anxi"

akabrit94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

"I've dealt with severe panic disorder my whole life, if i feel on the edge i will take the hydroxzine and it will take my anxiety down and help me rest. The down side is if i go into a severe panic attack it does nothing for me. I had to go to court so i took six 50mg (every 2 hours) it had no effect because i hate standing in front of people, i was still panicking. Where i live (and probably most places now) people take advantage of benzodiazepine and other drugs so no doctor will prescribe them to me. I am the exact person that needs them and i will not take advantage. I have never tried xanax because I don't take anything that's not prescribed to me, but I'm curious to see if it would work because I'm desperate."

anxiety ridden 04 July 9, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have been struggling my entire life with mental health issues that I didn't realize were there. I have extreme anxiety and have always found it so hard to talk to people with out stuttering and feeling stupid. I experimented many different meds Vistaril seriously changed my life. I am so much happier and so much calmer than I've ever been, I feel like a new person."

Finally over July 3, 2016

"I'm prescribed 3 max MG a day for 5 years and it never has worked for me . I freak out all the time but the Dr I think gets some sort of deal due to they still want me to take them."

nervous wreck 101 July 3, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "This medication coupled with a benzodiazepine is wonderful. It makes your body feel better and is non addicting."

Foxtrotz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "It works very well for me as a rescue medicine. If taken mid panic attack it definitely helps to calm me; however, if I take it before I am going to be in a situation that I know will cause anxiety it doesn't have much of an effect to keep me from having an attack. It definitely makes me sleepy."

For the birds June 17, 2016