User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

NatS · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “I’ve been taking Vistaril for anxiety on and off for years. More consistently for the past two years, it truly does help with anxiety, and is far safer than Benzo’s. I got hooked on benzos and had to withdrawal over a year- that was fun (insert sarcasm). The only negative I can list for Vistaril, is that the day after I take a Vistaril (I only take PRN) I’m in the worst mood. I even tell my husband, I had a vistaril yesterday, so leave me be. (32y/o female). You’re not alone. :) God bless.”

Ptsd · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

“I suffer from from a Traumatic brain injury. This medicine hydroxycine has really helped me in so many ways I can describe. I would definitely recommend giving it a try. So glad I could find something that’s not Benzo related and works because those others meds out there are a nightmare to get off. This you only take it if you need it.”

Stephie · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

“I was prescribed hydroxyzine to take as needed for anxiety. I took it once and it did not work at all. It didn't make me feel sleepy at all and it didn't help my anxiety, it made my anxiety a thousand times worse and I had a panic attack that lasted about 3 hours and I would not calm down. It didn't help me cope, it cancelled out my ability to cope”

Ian · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

“Hydroxyzine is Vile. I’ve been suffering from severe allergies to my emgality injections so am trying to find a safe effective medicine for rashes and pain. I took a 25mg capsule and felt ok for 4 hrs after. Just tired. By the 6th hour my face, chest and neck were beet red. Breathing was labored all into the night. Felt just like a Zyrtec overdose. 24 hrs later it seems to be out of my system.”

Insomniac · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

“I have had insomnia for the past 14 months. I have been to two sleep specialist. I have tried all kinds of drugs and I also I tried CBTI and meditation. I am 70 years old. Just last week my sleep doctor finally prescribed this hydroxyzine for me. I take 10 mg at bedtime – literally at bedtime, It works within 15 to 20 minutes.I cannot believe the difference it has made. I sleep through the night, prior to this if I slept at all I had at most six hours. I could easily sleep eight hours now. I wake up feeling very good. I’m taking nothing else with it. It’s not been quite a week yet, and I hope to continue this fabulous response. I had never heard of it before this, but I would suggest if you have problems with sleep and you might ask your doctors to let you try it. From my reading there are no long-term side effects, and no withdrawal symptoms. It is so much better than taking diazepam or Ambien.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “Was prescribed 10mg Atarax tablets with directions to take 1-2 as every 6 hours as needed for anxiety and panic attacks. Taking 1 pill did nothing, so I took 2 the next time I felt anxiety creeping in. It made me very tired and dizzy, then sent me into a panic attack. I am better off not taking this medication when I feel anxiety coming on because it usually does not develop into a panic attack, let alone as worse as this one got.”

Jake · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

“I been on hydroxyzine 50mg for about a month now wicked dreams good and bad lol. But that's normal for an antihistamine. My lexapro gave me a huge panic attack hydroxyzine 50mg did nothing 100mg took edge off. I'm still taking it with clonidine idk which one is working better but I know if I'm having a moment I'll take 100 mg it seems to do ok . Idk I just been feeling weird and haven't been sleeping well. My pcp labeled me as an addict so I cant get what really works (benzos,) anyway it helps enough to get me by until i see a psych doctor.”

Stylist1 · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

“I was prescribed hydroxyzine 50 mg to sleep. I took only half, and I had the worst night of my life. I woke up with a sharp pain in my lungs. Since then, I have shortness of breath, which ended up in Costochondritis.”

CurlyHurly · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 25, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “I was taking Atarax before going to sleep 5 years ago and taking sertraline (in the morning). Then one day I got mixed up took Atarax instead of sertraline (they look a like) I was ready to go to sleep in the middle of the mall. This drug made me very sluggish and just straight up sleepy. Wouldn't recommend operating while on it.”

lennon · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 20, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “Take when having a particularly anxious day. Makes me feel drowsy and relaxed. This medication does a good job of easing intrusive thoughts correlated with OCD when I’m having a hard day.”

Dandi · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “This medicine Atarax is useless for anxiety. All it did was dry me out. I have Sjögren’s syndrome and this is not a medication to be taken if you already have that immune system disorder.”

Laura · Taken for less than 1 month February 29, 2020

“Been taking hydroxyzine 25 mg 3x a day for a few days and it’s just making me tired. Trying to give it a chance to get better but probably will be asking my doctor to try something different next visit”

Readergirl3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

“I have been suffering from severe anxiety attacks Since last February I believe caused by my stressful job as the line cashier in a very busy retail/discount store. Dizziness followed by projectile vomiting for several hours. At first I thought this Med was working but now I think it makes me even more dizzy and anxious. I have also not been able to lose the 10 lbs I have been trying to lose although reduced my calories down to 1350/day and exercising daily. This is my fifth day not taking the Visteril at all and I am much more clear headed. Anxiety is such an awful thing to have. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I ended up quitting said job and have now been off work for two months. I am close to retirement anyway and just trying to take care of myself. Especially my mental health.”

anxious annie February 28, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “my dr prescribed me this Vistaril and I hate it. Does absolutely nothing for panic attacks. It didn’t even make me drowsy like Benadryl does. I upped the dose and nothing happened. Pretty pointless medication”

LoonyKlepto · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

“Doesnt work for my anxiety. I still feel completely anxious when I go to class, and completely alert and aware as if I hadn't taken any prescription. I take three 25mg tablets in the morning before class and nothing. Only the first time did I feel better and less anxious.”

Milmil4248 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2020

“Was prescribed hydroxyzine as an alternative to Xanax for anxiety. In my experience it doesn’t help with an anxiety attack that’s already in progress, however it does help with stopping that on the edge feeling that anxiety gives especially at night (were my anxiety is the highest). However prepare to be very tired and wanting to sleep, I haven’t had any dreams or anything similar that others have referenced. It also really does help with allergies and especially Itchiness that I get when at the gym.”

Tranquilthought · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “I have suffered extreme anxiety, panic disorder, and PTSD. I've been using this for over a week now (Prescribed at up to 100mg a day as needed but the highest dose I've taken has been 75mg). Just messing around with dosage to figure it out. This has been my saving grace for the time I've been in it. I'm glad it's not a benzo as I had a hard time coming off of it. With Vistril my panic attacks are fewer now in the week that I've been taking it. I do recommend this medication because I believe it fully works for anxiety. At least for mine :-)”

CherOT · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

“I took very low dose hydroxyzine for anxiety before bed twice. It sedated me so much. But, I woke up with tension, anxiety and rebound adrenaline rush all day. Ended up in ER 1st morning after not realizing it was effects from the drug. Be careful, everyone reacts different.”

TD · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2020

“I’ve been taking Hydroxyzine for approximately 3 months now. The doctor started me out on 50 mg 3 times a day. After taking it for a month it did absolutely nothing for me. Over the next several weeks I’ve slowly up the dosage. I so badly wanted it to work! If anything it’s made mean more anxious. I’m not sleeping.”

QueenB February 17, 2020

“I been on this for about a week now my anxieties get the best of me at nite and it makes me sleep good and it does help me relax. Its been the best for me so fair hope it keeps it up .”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2020

“When I went inpatient for mood swings, suicidal ideations, and anxiety attacks, the doctor prescribed this to help with anxiety so I didn't rely on benzodiazepines (Ativan). At first, it seemed to help, but not as well as the Ativan. After a few weeks, I needed a higher dose for it to work again, and then again, it had to be raised. I eventually went up to 100mg from 25mg because it was ineffective. I stopped it because I was gaining weight like crazy (side effect) and it wasn't working.”

Dalis · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2020

“I have been on this medication for 2 weeks and so far so good. I am 37 years old and I have never suffered from anxiety/ stress that I know of until the last couple of months. My job had me on 55 hours week, for 8 months straight and I was constantly crying, dreaming about my job, and waking up out my sleep thinking about work! It has been awful. I literally checked myself into ER cause I didn't know what was wrong with me. I was put on some other medications but they put me in a zombie like state and I am a wife and mother so that was not going to work. So my doctor put me on this medication so I can stop my mind from racing and get some sleep. Before that for 30 days straight I typically only had 2-3hours of sleep and now on prozac for the last 1.5 weeks I get 8-9 hours of sleep and I don't think about nothing - my mind is blank. Between this medication and the intermediate FMLA (Family and Medical Leave) I am in a better place mentally”

ddhernandy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “I’m on 100mg of vistaril for anxiety and it doesn’t work for me. it used to help with sleep now has more a placebo effect. s. o. s.”

Nini · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“This drug hydroxyzine has been amazing for me and my anxiety. Xanax is way too strong for me, makes me feel like a zombie. Hydroxyzine helped me immediately to feel calm, in control and rational. It has been a life saver. I am so glad it exists. People shouldn’t say this drug is bad just because it is not the right fit for their symptoms.”

Manny · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “This does little if nothing for me. Causes severe dry mouth which can lead to tooth decay. I have never in my sixty years on earth bought a drug from the streets. However. The low dose prescription klonopin I took for many years with no issues. The government has made it a hassle for doctors to prescribe benzos. They will throw everything else at you despite side effects and lack of it actually working. For persons with serious anxiety, buspar, visteral, lexapro do not work. I have tried them all. Benzos are a drug used in the treatment of anxiety for a decade and for most used safely. It is not the drug that is the problem they are safe and effective if used properly. As long as there are people wanting to abuse drugs there will be addiction problems. Great if visteral worked but it does not for me.”