User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"I got my prescription for anxiety. I'm a first timer on these type of meds so I'm cautious. I finally decided to take it tonight because a horrible situation raised and I can't sleep or focus. I must say it's been about 25 min and I'm feeling a little better( thoughts not racing as much) but a little sleepy. I don't know if I'd take this during the day. I'll post an update tomorrow if you care to keep a lookout!! Just trying to help someone maybe- as I experiment."

KeBess (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Doctor prescribed this to me as an alternative to lorazepam for anxiety. I was reluctant at first. Lorazepam works well for me, yet it is stigmatized by doctors. But it works just as well, if not better. Atarax is an antihistime. This means allergies are managed as well."

Mr Layne (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hydroxyzine just made me drowsy with my severe anxiety did not help me at all"

Dfeatherston (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Worst medication ever. You can't function after you take it and you feel terrible for days after. It's basically benadryl ( a sedating antihistamine). Does nothing for anxiety expect make you feel weird and uncomfortable then puts you to sleep. Another sorry excuse, poor man's anti anxiety med. Stay away. If your doctor prescribes they are an idiot"

CJ1847499295 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It Definitely calms me down... But it also makes me sleepy."

Shellz1974 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had my hydroxizine Rx for a while but never took it. Started feeling kind of anxious last night so I took 25mg. I must've passed right out because I don't remember when I fell asleep! I slept very well but woke up with a weird groggy feeling. I also felt really relaxed though which was really nice. Grogginess/ brain fog can sometimes exacerbate anxiety for me so I had some caffeine and that seemed to help."

Tireddddd (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This does help some for anxiety. It helps mellow you out a bit so you're not panicking. Definitely doesn't works as well as Ativan and takes longer to kick in. Good for sleeping when you're too stressed to sleep."

Basika (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a newly diagnosed mild anxiety sufferer. This is the only medicine I have tried for my anxiety as I talked to my Dr and advised her I can control my anxiety for the most part but I just needed something to curb my anxiety for when I was too overwhelmed to calm my own self down. I am on a low dose 25 mg and what this medicine does for me is exactly what I need. I use one prescription over the course of almost two months since it is only as needed. It allows me to clear my mind, get the full picture of the current situation and it allows me to put things into perspective so I can push through the tough times with a better thought process. It does make me a little drowsy if I am already tired. Worth a shot for as needed folks."

Bmase (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Let me start by with the obvious disclaimer, everyone is different, and your milage may very. Also always follow your doctors advice. I am leaving my experience, as I hope it will help others. I suffer from severe anxiety, not the mild kind of anxiety. For the last month I have been having as many as 3-4 panic attacks a day, when I was prescribed this I was very skeptical. I have been prescribed almost every medication, for anxiety including Xanax, Klonopin , and Ativan. When I first started taking this 50mgs of Vistaril, I didn't feel that It was having any effect. In fact it wasn't until, after I had run out and didn't get it refilled that I noticed it had been making a sizable difference. For me it wasn't a cure, but it was a useful tool."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is a joke for anxiety. It doesn't work at all. I thought it would also help with my contact dermatitis, but it doesn't help with that at all either. If you take this drug you're wasting your time."

shawniecat August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Great for unclogging your nose, horrible for anxiety. It made mine bad enough on several occasions that I ended up in the ER. It also gave me dangerously low blood pressure, heart palpitations, hallucinations and an overall terrified feeling. I wouldn't recommend this at all for anxiety."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has worked great for my anxiety. I'm prescribed 25mg twice a day as needed and then two before bedtime for sleep issues. It definitely works. Just be warned that it will make you extremely loopy until you get used to it. Be careful with the alcohol with it because it triples the effect of it. Keep it to one drink maximum."

Sd232 August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed hydroxyzine Pam 25mg cap after being in a car accident and suffering from anxiety attacks since the wreck. I took one last night and still felt the pill all the way until 10am today. I have not had no anxiety all day which has been going on for exactly three weeks now (the anxiety) I was scared to take anything at first but my anxiety got worse and I got the courage last night to take one. I woke up feeling great slightly high but great. I did have a light headache when I woke up but it went away after I ate breakfast. It is now 2:41 pm the next day I no longer feel high but I don't feel anxiety either. I think I will continue to take one capsule at night let's see how I feel the rest of the day. I will be back with update"

Lady4400 August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 25mg vistaril twice a day for anxiety. I had been suffering from GAD and a specific phobia for eight years and had never tried any medication. At first I was taking just 25mg at bedtime and it still caused significant drowsiness during the day. The drowsiness has worn off but the medication is still controlling my anxiety and helping me sleep more, which in turn makes me more cheerful and relaxed. I know that it doesn't work for everyone, but for me it has worked excellently."

LTS August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started off with a nice series of yawning, but not tired. Once I laid down and tried to sleep - I felt brain zaps, and my chest got heavy which gave me more anxiety... but as we know Anxiety is Mentally driven - so I calmed down a tad, but it just felt like neurological misfiring. So I work up feeling like I had a ton of antihistamine - and still mid-day I'm loopy. This is all ONE PILL All I can say is - some people are just Sensitive to medications. Keep challenging your thoughts - and remember if you're scared and hopeless - "you are not your thoughts" - Don't let them control you! Take practice each day trying something new to confront and win!"

jasper175 (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this drug for the first time on July 28th for anxiety. At first the dry mouth made it harder to breath, which is of coarse a no-no for anxiety folks. I did sleep slightly better without feeling knocked out and had a lot of dreams, but no nightmares. I also had severe stomach cramps and diarrhea for about 10 minutes in the middle of the night. I seemed to have a slight amount of anxiety relief, but also an increase. The lethargy from the medication made me less motivated to care for daily tasks, which then piled up and created more anxiety and aggitation. Even so, I could see it being effective for some individuals, just be aware of the possible side effects before beginning this treatment."

AnxiousNewbie July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Well, what can I say other than vomiting for 8 hours and pooping myself for a day after taking this pill. I need answers"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Works very well. Takes the edge right off"

BarbaraAc July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed vistaril by my primary. I have severe anxiety and panic attacks. About 45 minutes ago I took this for the first time and being completely honest, it did help relieve that sense of intense fear! I also feel way more relaxed than what I was feeling! Overall I recommend!"

Hayleew (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this nearly 22 hours ago and I am still feeling the effects - extremely drowsy. Be sure not to take this before driving..."

SOOOO Sleepy (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had major depressive disorder with borderline bipolar since I was 9. These last several years started to develop anxiety. Haven't been able to find medications to help with my depression, so the anxiety really just pulled everything farther down for me. Thankfully though have a wonderful doctor now, an whereas still having trouble finding anything to help with my depression, have started hydroxyzine for my anxiety. I am sensitive to medication, an first tried half a 25mg pill, which knocked me on my behind! But during the day I take roughly 6-7mg when needed, an it calms me enough to be able to go outside and to the store. I also have insomnia, so taking a half pill at bedtime on bad nights usually helps me sleep ok. Fully recommend!"

catblue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug does well for the purpose it was prescribed for: reduction of anxiety. However I commonly suffer from sleep walking, sleep motions and even talking. This drug really kicked all of that into overdrive. I spend the night having nightmares and constantly waking myself and my girlfriend up because I will scream at the top of my lungs as well as kick and punch the bed. If you have sleep issues like me I would not recommend it. If you do not then I would recommend it."

ValientThorr July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have tried so many things for my anxiety...Vistaril for anxiety did not help me personally...I know everyone is different but this did not help me at all. I just started Buspar for my anxiety so I am hoping this helps. But Vistaril did NOTHING... I didn't feel anything it may work for certain people but absolutely nothing happened with my anxiety decreasing ..."

Leahbobeah90 July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst medication experience! I was prescribed this drug for a panic attack that would subside. The pill was hydroxyzine 25 mg.. I took half of it as I'm leery of side effects to medication. It first felt like everything was okay. I went to sleep and it all started there. I had some of the vivid dreams. I would luckily be awakened by my surroundings. I would then get in bed and lay there. I felt paralyzed. Like my brain couldn't make my body do anything like raise my arm. I hallucinated and heard voices. I decided I couldn't go back to sleep after that. I woke up but felt as I was floating. I remember trying to focus but was looking for imaginary things. It literally felt like I was dreaming while awake. It was terrifying. Do not recommend!"

LadyEdith56789 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only giving this drug a 5/10 because it has only been about a week and most medications work well for the first week. However, at the moment things are going much better for me! I was at a point where I was crying and snapping at people almost constantly. I'm now taking 25mg of vistaril in the morning and 0.5mg klonopin before bed. The vistaril doesn't make me tired at all, just strangely calm (not in a tranquilized way) and the klonopin helps me actually sleep. For now, this seems to be a great medication and a great combination as well."

Hfgvxstibvt36hsjp June 3, 2017