User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"I had never had anxiety or panic attacks up until a year ago.. it came out of nowhere and I didn't know what was causing it. I think it was just overall life stressors in general...I was prescribed vistaril after having panic attacks and anxiety. I had never taken anything for anxiety before this so I wasn't sure what to expect. It helped slightly but didn't really take the anxiety away. Made me really sleepy and calmed me down in a sense but I could still feel like I had the anxiousness in the back of my mind. My doctor prescribed me Zoloft instead 50mg and it's worked amazing for me.. I actually feel more like my normal self and rarely get anxiety anymore."

Suffer from occasional anxiety December 3, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "It doesn't help at all. Doesn't even make me sleepy, either. Even Zoloft helps with my anxiety more, and Zoloft isn't even marketed specifically to treat anxiety, like Visatril."

BridgetHasAnxiety November 30, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Two 25mg doses, spread out, reduces anxiety for me, but it also can make me yawn and sleepy and I don't feel safe to drive for about an hour after taking the second dose. Given that I am over sensitive to Benzos this is one of the few anti-anxiety drugs I can take without being over sedated."

RobStein9064 November 30, 2016

"I decided to try this medication for anxiety after reading several studies indicating that hydroxyzine is roughly equal to benzodiazepines for anxiety relief. I must say, I have been quite impressed by this medicine. It's just as strong as Xanax for me, but it doesn't make me forgetful. My quality of life has improved quite a bit since I started this medicine."

ScudRipper (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 24, 2016

"My experience of this medicine.. Only made me sleepy..Did not help with anxiety.I take Zoloft 150..Any other suggestions that I can take with Zoloft for anxiety."

zadie November 20, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Didn't help my anxiety, just knocked me out."

DylanGay (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"Prescribed 25mg for GAD. It didn't do anything so I requested an upped dose. They prescribed me 50mg and it still did nothing. I have tried Benadryl, Lemon Balm and so many other things thag never worked. I am on Xanax now but it still really doesn't do much. I am on a 0.5dose and it works more maybe 30min and not very well."

Angstogalene (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

Hyzine (hydroxyzine): "I took it like I was supposed to for anxiety and panic disorder. it did nothing absolutely nothing. I'm in worse shape now than I ever was. doctors please get a grip you can't treat us for just anything it's like trying to treat athletes feet with dandruff shampoo .We are people we know that you're not supposed to get attached to it. the medicine sucks doesn't help sleep doesn't help panic disorder doesn't help insomnia doesn't help anxiety. I'm not sneezing - I didn't go in for an antihistamine. Do you think that Google won't tell us everything. It didn't take long to figure out I mean nothing. write a proper prescription"

It doesn't work anxiety and pa (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2016

"I've had severe anxiety since 9 but after 25 years, I painfully learned to cope with it and reduce it without meds (most of this was from the fact that I was never properly diagnosed when I was a child). Some of that anxiety won't ever go away but I prefer not to take benzos unless I really need them. The very serious problem with benzos is that they can be very dangerous if you quit taking them and they are habit forming and you will unfortunately and quickly grow a tolerance to them over time. As for this medication, I was only looking for something that could help with my itching after I moved to Austin, TX. This area is known for new folks having severe allergies. Long story short - It worked pretty well for me for allergies and anxiety"

J_In_Austin (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2016

"At first after reading the reviews I was very skeptical about taking this medication. I suffer from anxiety and have been taking Xanax PRN to treat the attacks. It seems that the user response to this drug does vary greatly. I am very reactive to mosquito bites and take benedryl frequently. I get no sedative effect from benedryl. The first night taking this drug it took about an hour for any sedative effect to kick in and shortly after I went to bed. The following day I felt rested and not groggy at all, however I did experience blurred vision at things in the distance. The second night I took it and didn't notice any sedative effect after an hour. I went to bed and woke up feeling fine. Vision seems to be normal."

Mr. Anxiety (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

"This medicine is a complete joke for anxiety or panic attacks. The only thing it did for me was after taking it at night I would wake up with horrible body aches like I had the flu."

LaTizzle November 3, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I was instructed to take this as needed for anxiety, however, it never helped. Which surprised my providers. I went through multiple doses before I was finally able to stop it and switch to a much more effective medication."

KMaureen (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 3, 2016

"Made it worse heart pounding stomach hurt first anxiety meds I've tried"

Not good November 2, 2016

"I quit using meth a year ago and have had random anxiety, panic attacks, and an insane racing heart all the time. Xanax and benzos make me way uncomfortable so my Dr prescribed me Hydroxyzine. It works AMAZING for me. If you can get the pressed pills instead of the capsules. Sometimes the whole 25mgs makes me to tired especially if I'm at work. With the pressed pill it's easy to just take half. I really recommend for anyone who hasn't found something else that works"

LurpJr (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 27, 2016

"I take 50 mg in morning and 50 mg at night along with lamictal 100 mg in am and 100mg at pm and Latuda 20 mg in am the hydroxine makes me tired and asleep way to much I wake up and the left side of my Brain always hurts my left shoulder hurts from sleeping on it I'm assuming it's the hydroxine all these meds are new to me except the limictal I've been on since July on thi year"

Bipolara physcho October 26, 2016

"Was given this after a severe panic attack at the local ER. 3 hours later the attack subsided. This medication has no beneficial panic attack relief."

Addict 1 month clean (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "I've been on this medicine for 2 years now and it continues to work well against anxiety and panic attacks. I take a 25 mg pill per day. At first, I experienced slight drowsiness and wanted to sleep a lot, but after a few days these side effects went away completely. Skipping a dose won't affect me, but after skipping several doses once I felt nervous, irritated and had trouble sleeping. Overall, it's good and reliable."

crystaljuniper (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Made my hair fall out extremely bad. I think this drug made my anxiety worse."

Mislin (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 20, 2016

"I take Hydroxyzine when I need it but taking it twice a day with eight hours in between gives me lots of drowsiness at around 9:00 each time. I've been taking it less now that I don't need it as much. I have no problems besides the major drowsiness and am getting great results even without taking the medicine my anxiety has improved dramatically. I should consider that fact that my size is smaller than that of an adult so the medicine probably stays in my system for longer period of time. But I highly recommend this for anyone with anxiety."

ZikiIkare October 19, 2016

"I have had severe Panic Disorder and Anxiety since I was 18. I am now many years older and still have a lot of problems with it. I was prescribed Hydroxyzine and paxil recently. I take 25 mg twice a day as needed and overall, I would say they do cut the edge off and allow me to escape the fight or flight feeling of complete panic. The tired laggy drained feeling is a definite negative although I will take that over a trip to the ER anyday. Utimately I think other medications are far superior in truly calming the symptoms of Anxiety, actually calming the mind as well as the body. Hydroxyzine usually seems to just make you sleepy and kind of sleep the fear away, whereas other medications like Benzo's calm you completely, without the lag."

Thorn76 October 10, 2016

"was given hydroxyzine 25 mg for anxiety about three weeks ago along with lexapro 5mg I finally decided to take one last night for sleep and it was the best thing I did I finally slept good after 3 weeks I don't know what took me so long to take it ,this morning I woke up feeling cloudy and a little bit of a hangover feeling but not too bad I'm guessing my body will adjust to it the more I take the pill also I'm moving alittle slower at work today due to the cloudiness in my brain but not anything that I can't handle again might be a side effect while my body adjust"

mandrades0107 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

"This medication was prescribed to me for my anxiety (pretty extreme), panic attacks, PTSD, OCD, and insomnia. It does a really good job of quieting my mind so my active commentary is pretty much gone, but I do have moments where I go numb and moments where I kind of "come to" while I'm awake. I am still adjusting to the medication though, but I am very hopeful."

Snowblind037 (taken for less than 1 month) October 5, 2016

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I was given Vistaril for anxiety, to be used "as needed" for my panic/anxiety attacks, and for me, it did nothing but make me a little sleepy. I know most anti-panic drugs are sedatives, but those generally do more than make you tired. This one just made me tired and freaked out."

PresleyAxel October 3, 2016

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Don't take this drug !! It caused me to have horrendously bad dreams. They were terrifying. My anxiety has worsened by 100 percent. I'm fearful of going to sleep. I've not slept more than three hours a night for two weeks. Another side effect I experienced was hair loss and vertigo. Thanks to my " doctor " I have regular episodes of vertigo which I had never experienced in my life. Stay away from this drug !"

Esbet October 3, 2016

"Definitely helps me sleep through the panic/anxiety/insomnia at night, my side effects were quite severe - daytime fatigue, irritability, dry mouth and rapidly deteriorating vision (blurred). As a very short-term aid, this drug was great, but after 3 months, I'm ready to go drug-free and see how I feel."

AtRX (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2016