User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"I’ve been on 50mg of hydroxyzine for about two years now. I have a very severe panic disorder and I take them as needed up to twice a day. I started taking them when I was thirteen, and now as a eighteen year old I am having memory problems due to being on it for such a long period of time. I wouldn’t recommend starting your teen at a dose this high, please consult your doctor!"

Usherhouse (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 23, 2018

"I haven't been taking Vistaril for long but I just want to share with anyone considering this drug that it has helped me SO much. I've been battling for almost a year now with different combinations of meds. I am on lithium & was taking Lexapro to help with the additional anxiety/depression I was having and it caused hair loss and I couldn't stay awake or focus. I stopped it and my psych prescribed the Vistaril because I can take it as needed. I don't feel sedated, I feel relaxed. It helps with the depression purely because it eases my anxiety. This morning I had an anxiety attack and even though the Vistaril kicked in when it was over, it helped me handle the residual feelings I was having and I was able to turn my day around and make it a good one. If you don't like it, you can just stop taking it.. but give it a fair shot."

Manda (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2018

"I've enjoyed the relaxing effect of this. I've been using it regularly for 6 months now. I realize that there are many ways to view this, but am just glad that it fit my expectations very nicely."

cochristian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 13, 2018

"This med was given to me for itching caused by anxiety. I've been on this drug for 2 months. I am happy this works for some folks but still itch, am anxious and am unable to sleep. 25 mg 3 x day for me with no results."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

"I was given hydroxyzine 25 mg three times a day to help reduce my need of as many benzos. To say it's useless is false. I have very high anxiety this settles my heart with my kolopin and helps me sleep at night. Great for stomach issues as well. Overall this drug can help and with very little side effects."

Omann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2018

"Did not work at all for me. An hour after I took it I had a panic attack. Since then I’ve been on edge. If you already have anxiety and antihistamines make it worse be sure to mention that to your doctor. They didn’t as me so I didn’t think anything of it "

Liz (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

"My update from last May actually. I was given these to take almost same time last year for anxiety/panic and breathing issues. I took for about two weeks as needed, but only 10mg because they knocked me flat on my back for hours on end and suffered extreme drowsiness and dry mouth afterwards. While they seemed to help my anxiety because I was either asleep or almost paralyzed in bed, so I couldn't function and was agitated because of how they made me feel. So,I stopped taking them and it's almost a year later. Weather has just recently got warmer where I'm at and I'm short of breath again and anxious again and panicking again! Weird.. allergies IDK, while I didn't care for them, I don't know fully because I couldn't take them for long, side effects were too much. I'd give them a try though, everyone is different."

Gadgrl (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

"Psychiatric Rx. Prescribed 25 mg up to 3 times daily. Taking as needed. I get anxiety with shortness of breath. Helps a great deal. Sedating. Less anxious. Was taking only once in a while, but I am now starting to take 3 times daily to ward off constant anxiety. So far, great drug."

CrossWalker (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have bipolar manic depression, extreme anxiety and extreme OCD of hair pulling (trichtotillmania). My psychiatrist prescribed this and 3 other medicines but this is two 25mg 3 times a day. I’ve been on it for 2 weeks and it makes me shake but I haven’t pulled my hair since being on it and have been calmer since being on it. This has been amazing for me. I can’t praise it enough."

Lindz (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

"I have been taking Hydroxyzine for hives, specifically 25mg. Some brands that I tried gave me headaches. I would take maybe a 1/2 - 1/4 of a pill (they would knock me out so would I take the KV Tech before bed) and alternate days Zyrtec with and would relieve my condition for about 4-6 months. Needless to say a bottle of 30 would last quite a while. A few days ago I called in a refill of the same KV Tech 25mg. This bottle doesn't do anything. Doesn't stop the itching or put me to sleep. Normally would knock me out and very deep sleep. Nothing ! I wonder if somebody is making these pills on the black market and distributing them. I had this filled at a national brand pharmacy. Has anybody had this problem?"

Chris April 28, 2018

"I started this in conjunction with Zoloft to treat my debilitating night time Anxiety. I started with 25 mg at bed, the first night and immediately went to sleep worry-free. Woke up the next morning late and was foggy brained the next day. Now I only take a half a pill before bed if I'm wound up and need help to sleep. Works perfectly. I no longer have anxiety, though the Zoloft is likely the contributor."

Sugafree23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2018

"My GP prescribed this to take as needed. Taking nothing worked just as well."

TWJ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2018

"I can't help but wonder if these reviews are sarcastic or not. This drug does not work (for me) AT ALL. 100mg...nothing...200mg...nothing...300...nothing. Coming from a 24 year old girl."

Ivey April 22, 2018

"People writing here are not happy, either, and we need to be proactive with our doctors. This did NOT help, my nightmares were vivid and no patient should settle for that as a way to be rid of an Rx that could actually work for me so I am not anxious, and can have a good life. I also was concerned my bp was up; never had it before; felt like my heart was racing, went to a cardiologist I trust, and was ok though blood pressure was causing it to feel like racing. It's obviously the meds. I also took Trazadone for sleep/anxiety, had horrific nightmares, no warning on either med., both Rx's caused a hangover effect and was tired all day. Not happy w/ medical care lately; missing doctors caring about us first. Maybe having & taking more time with patients, listening, solving & providing real needs would reduce our "opioid" situation in the U. S. : it's the worst healthcare system in the world."

musTBeonesSelF (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

"I got this prescription for withdrawal from benzodiazepines. It helped me get a little sleep sometimes, it calmed down some of the myoclonus jerks, electrical shock sensations, internal vibrations, tremors, shaking, dry heaving/vomiting. It didn't take them entirely away but just more bearable sometimes.It did nothing for the complete balance loss and the mental anguish that still plagues me in my 2 year withdrawal."

SayNoToBenzos (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2018

"Life Changer.I have experienced anxiety most of my life to the point of not interacting with people staying to myself. After taking this medication I feel a full body calming. I just feel less anxious and never felt like this before. The only reason I don’t give the medication 10 stars is because I only been taking it for a few weeks.I don’t know if this is one of those medications that wears off Less anger and irritability too I take 25 milligrams 2 times a days but am upping it until 25 milligrams 4 times a day"

Cetta (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Vistaril works great for me right before bed, takes care of anxiety and allows me to get to sleep easier. Taken it 4 years now no problems."

Opeth (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018

"It's really working . I took only one pill and and suddenly felt so relaxed. Also this drug has 5 times less side effects than SRRI SRRI near killed me"

blues (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

"I was put on hydroxyzine March 26 but I didn't take it until March 28. I am also on Prozac and they raised the dosage to 20mg. Well since being on hydroxyzine I feel very dizzy through out the whole day. I have trouble sleeping at night. Went to the ER the day before Easter because I felt so out of it. Heart was racing my head felt so groggy. Woke up this morning and still feel out of it. Didn't take it at 2 like I was supposed to so let's see what happens. But not being able to function or feel like I'm able to breath properly sucks. Not taking thing drug again."

Gini (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

"Made me feel loopy and increased my anxiety. Major feelings of derealization. Also mild audatory hallucinations as I was trying to fall asleep, which I couldn't do."

Dantheman93 (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

"This pill has been a godsend for me! I can not think of one bad thing to say about it. it has helped me be able to ignore my anxiety and panic symptoms enough to leave my house and go to appointments. (I also have agoraphobia) every now and then they will make me just a little drowsy but never anything that inhibits my control or focus. I have also benefited from hydroxyzine for allergies as well. it really is a wonderful thing, especially because it is not habit forming and you do not build a tolerance to it. I have used 25mg for about 2 years (as needed) and it still is just as effective as day 1. I definitely recommend to anyone struggling with their anxiety even with an antidepressant medication, as sometimes in the moment we need a little extra help. Hydroxyzine has definitely done that for me."

Jamie K (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2018

"I've been on this drug for about 1 month and a half to get off welbutrin because I wanted to get off it (cold turkey) . Now I've been taking this drug it helps to a point. Sometimes I feel my heart racing and sweat a lot. But I feel like I'm getting so use to it that it is starting to not help so now I just take it as needed."

Anonymous March 29, 2018

"Got prescribed this medication by the family doc. Took 50 mg a day (based on my weight). So half a pill in morning, half a pill during lunch and a full 25 mg pill in the evening. It did NOTHING for me. The only thing... made my mouth dry andmy concentration decreased. The good thing is that you can take this medicine whenever you need it. However, I think it would be nice if it worked for the anxiety"

y1o2l3o March 25, 2018

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Vistaril is nothing but a glorified antihistamine. It did nothing for my anxiety but made me feel....um....uncomfortably high I guess? I was avoiding having to take this (the bottle was sitting in the cabinet) and decided I needed to try one. Well, it didn't do anything. I feel dizzy, drunk and I feel like I am suffering from insane depersonalization. I want to get this out of my system now."

melanie123 (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

"I got prescribed this for my in between anxiety period while lexapro took its place. It is absolutely horrible I don't feel anything upon taking it. I tried to stay away from benzos because of the addiction so I thought this would be a good alternative route. Did not help me."

Nikole909 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018