User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Vistaril

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "For me, after taking this medication as needed for 3 days I had no relief for my symptoms. I felt like this med intensified my panic attacks. It is just gloried Benadryl! Meditation, deep breathing exercises and a long warm bath worked better than this garbage!"

JessieLee May 4, 2019

"Been taking the medication for only a short time. But felt a huge relief at just 10mg. I’m so grateful this medication has worked well for me so far. Would recommend this drug to people struggling with crippling anxiety, because it’s not addictive. I feel calm and relaxed, and not drowsy. It also helps me sleep."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2019

"Have taken this off and on for a couple of months and had adverse reactions to it (just 25 mg) . Now that have anxiety I'm trying 10 mg and it is making me really tired during the day. The first night I took it around 2:00am so I thought that is why I'm tired but last night I took it around 9:00 and it kept me awake then kinda in dream state the rest of the night. I'm going to try it a little longer before I decide whether this is going to work or not. Kinda makes me a little depressed too."

smiley (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2019

"I take this drug as needed along with an anti depressant and anti anxiety medicine. I am prescribed 50 mg of hydroxyzine. If I feel a panic attack coming or I am feeling very anxious, I take this drug. It does its job for me. However it does take a long time to fully kick in. On rare occasions I would have to take 2 pills. Sometimes that doesn’t work so I would have to take a klonopin but like I said that is rare. Generally I just take one and wait for it to kick in however I don’t love the side effects. It causes me to feel irritable. I get a very dry mouth and after I wake up from sleeping I feel dehydrated. Also this medication causes a ferocious appetite for me. It makes me binge eat. Luckily I do not take this everyday or else I would be enormous. I recommend this if you struggle with bad panic attacks or anxiety. It is a good replacement for benzos since they can be addicting. Some people need stronger, like sometimes I do. Everyone is different so it may not be for everyone."

Gene April 22, 2019

"Okay so I have been taking 50mg every 6 hours for 4 days now. My panic attacks were horrible and honestly I didn't believe this would work for me. I will say that for the first 3 days I had a horrible headache. That's gone today. And I feel like a human being again finally. This medication is helping me so much. And not just with my anxiety but with my depression as well. I'm definitely a supporter now."

Feelingbetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Vistaril turned my vision blurry, had bad headaches and it didn't treat by anxiety symptoms that I took it for"

Arabj42069 April 14, 2019

"My dr is stopping all benzos and opiates in his office. I would take .5 of Xanax as needed. They prescribed 25 mg of hydroxyzine instead for my anxiety, I took it once and it did nothing for me. A couple days later I thought I’d try 50mg and within 15 minutes, I felt some relief. Took it later as prescribed and I got so foggy and anxious! Totally so disappointed! I tried yesterday and today at work. I was so panicky and confused that I ended up on the floor today trying to do stretching and muscle relaxation. My face was bright red and my eyes were glassy. They thought I needed an ambulance. I did my stretches etc and tried to go back to work but it was still the same. I finally said to myself I need relief! I took a benzo I still had from my last script and within 15 minutes, I felt some relief. I could think clearly and relaxed a bit. I can’t see me taking it again since it did nothing for me for my anxiety except for that first time."

Patty April 13, 2019

"Avoid hydroxyzine if you want to preserve your IQ. It's for very, very specific allergies and has absolutely no place in the treatment of anxiety. Over regulation is poisoning the public with chemicals like Hydroxyzine, leaving them sick. It's worthless and very likely to aggravate your symptoms instead of help. I know it's too late if you're reading this but STOP! Don't take this garbage for your anxiety!! Fair warning."

Your nickname April 11, 2019

"I was prescribed 50mg at night for insomnia. It really does help the insomnia. However I have been suffering from relentless panic attacks non-stop all day. The night before yesterday I didn't take it because I forgot and didn't want to take it too late and be groggy in the morning and yesterday I felt great all day, not a hint of a panic attack. Last night took it and today sweating palms and panic attack and mental fog all day. I think for me its causing panic attacks the following day and making me less productive at work. I'm going to talk about it with the doctor and see what they say."

Anxious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2019

"Prior to taking lexapro (10 mg) and hydroxyzine (50 mg), my anxiety and insomnia were out of control. Now I take lexapro in the morning and hydroxyzine at night, and I am able to function like a normal human being during the day and actually fall asleep at night. I used to lay awake all night stressing about not being able to sleep, but now I can actually fall asleep and it has been a total game changer. Originally was taking hydroxyzine in combination with trazadone (50 mg) to combat my insomnia, but this proved to be way too much medication for me. I would have intense nightmares and sleep paralysis, and extreme difficulty getting up in the morning. I had to call out of work when I first started this combination because I could not get out of bed. Sticking with just hydroxyzine has been doing the trick."

funsize (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

"I was prescribed this for anxiety (25mgx4), I was previously on buspur. The day after I started taking this I started to get really sick. I didn’t want to get out of bed, I felt so fatigued, dehydrated, headaches, black diarrhea, severe stomach cramps, and sometimes pains when breathing, nausea, hot&cold chills. I didn’t realize it was the medication at first, I thought I just got really sick, yet nobody else in my household was ill. So it was strange (1 gets it, we all get it). So after the 6th day I thought maybe it was the medicine. It made me severely sick. I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital I could hardly eat even. The day I stopped taking it my symptoms subsided substantially, the 2nd day of not being on it I had no more symptoms and was completely back to normal."

User101 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Helps with panic attacks except it makes me very irritable. It feels like I am going to snap soon"

E (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

"I’ve been taking this medicine over a year for my anxiety at first everything was fine but then after 6 months talking it I started having problems with my vision. I have blurry double vision and I cannot see clear from far , I went to the eye doctor and they say I’m fine, I love this medication but I’m worried about my vision , help any one with the same problem "

Rosie March 27, 2019

"Hydroxyzine works for my anxiety it definietly makes me feel tired but gets rid the anxiety really well. Also be careful as I took it at work the other day and I felt a high affect and I didn’t like that."

Gotm (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2019

" hydroxyzine is the worst anxiety medication ever. Made me stay up all night and caused my legs to feel tingly numb and extremely restless (feels like I’m kicking). The following day I feel so weak and in pain. It’s making my anxiety worse. So disappointing. I have taken benzos I’m the past and they worked wonders. I have a new doctor and he will not prescribe. Sadly this is the second medication that he has given me that caused a serious negative effect. I am bipolar two with severe anxiety disorder also on lamital"

sgherna March 7, 2019

"Hydroxyzine is a strong antihistamine and it will only be useful for immediate use. My anxiety gives me insomnia so this helped with both that and panic attacks. Yes, at first it will knock you out so I recommend taking it before bed for a week or so to get your body used to it. If you're like me and get groggy after taking sleeping medicine the night before, make sure you're leaving yourself enough time in the morning to get ready for work if you have to. Eventually the tiredness feeling won't overpower you. I'm ranking it at 7/10 because since I taking it pretty much daily to help me sleep I've noticed an increase in nightmares. I never usually dream so the fact that 5 out or 7 nights a week are nightmares is strange and I believe it could be partly due to the hydroxyzine. So, 7/10 for me but I recommend trying to get past that first phase or cutting it in half if it puts you to sleep too quickly."

Angie March 6, 2019

"I have been on this for 6 months now and I take two 25mg capsules twice daily- once upon awakening and one before bedtime. I read others' reviews and I can't relate. It doesn't make me sleepy, I've had no adverse effects, I don't feel any different outside of not being so "paranoid" and just more like my normal self. Frankly, Its a Godsend."

rose (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2019

"It does help me with anxiety & quickly too. However it makes me very sleepy."

Mlg (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2019

"I have been taking 1/2 to sometimes 3/4th of a 25 mg pill of hydroxyzine for a while for insomnia. What I don't like is the *occasional* scare-me-to-pounding-heart-death nightmares it gives me. (Had a whopper of a nightmare last night). I'm not sure what other drug there is that I can take for sleep. I've tried a number of them."

Another Nightmare March 3, 2019

"I was taking hydroxyzine hcl 25 mg for anxiety....but all it did was make it worse and to me when I was coming down off the medication I would go back into a full panic attack. On the medication it makes you hallucinate and seeing and hearing things. I stop taking it immediately. Currently trying to get on another medication."

Britt February 16, 2019

"hydroxyzine has been so helpful for me. I just started college and took a public speaking class. I was having severe panic attacks, it really helped me to be more relaxed when going up in front of strangers. I also have insomnia and I have taken many over the counter drugs. I've also taken ambian. I stopped taking that because of the side effects so I started taking benadryl it helped for awhile until it didn't. Since I've been taking hydroxyzine I've slept well. I think the best thing about this drug is that it is not habit forming it helps with both insomnia and stress and anxiety."

j.o. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2019

"I have no idea what doctors are thinking, prescribing 25 mg and more of this stuff to people. 2.5 mg is perfect for my anxiety. I take a quarter of a 10 mg pill as needed and get instant relief from anxiety and all of my other neurological symptoms of chronic lyme disease. This stuff calms everything right down, but in tiny doses it's still effective without leaving you on the couch all day like that first 50 mg dose did for me. This has stopped so many panic attacks for me. Why they don't come in 2.5 mg tablet is beyond me."

User73 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2019

"Nightmares is all this medication did for me, I do not recommend it. Doctors who prescribe these could care less about your well being. This medication is garbage , I can't believe a doctor would give 3 a day , for what ??? If its prescribed for sleep why take during the day? I think doctors should take this medication before prescribing to anyone."

Tj (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "This should only be taken for acute anxiety. It’s extremely effective for stopping panic attacks and excessive worrying, but it is not good to take if you have to complete tasks. It utterly floors you. If you’ve experienced a traumatic event and do not mind being less functional, it will help greatly, especially if you want to get some sleep. But do not take this regularly before work or exercise. I’m a bodybuilder and run quite a lot, but I only take the medication afterward. I would not recommend long-term use, but I’ve been going on 5 years and it is still astoundingly effective when I start panicking and getting irritable. I usually just take it a couple hours before sleeping or earlier if I’m panicking. So, effective as hell, but floors you, but you will not be dysfunctional or overly foggy. It’s effectiveness is actually on par with Xanax, but there is no euphoria or risk for addiction, which is common in anxiety patients."

JBreezy1 January 25, 2019

"I was prescribe this medication for my anxiety along with 600 mg ibuprofen it helps relax me and sleep better but I sleep for a long time and find it hard to wanna get up. I think marijuana smokers shouldn’t smoke while taking this medication it caused me hallucinations and paranoias"

Tamara (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019