User Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

Hydroxyzine has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 722 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 44% of those users who reviewed Hydroxyzine reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Lyndsey · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2021

“I use this for occasional PTSD related anxiety because I cannot take Benzos due to a family history of addiction. I am ready to build an alter to this stuff in my house. It is amazing. I have so much gratitude for it. I take it only a few times a year, but when needed it is a game changer. Have I mentioned the 10 pills I need to get through the year cost less than a dollar?”

Geo323 · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2021

“Please for the Love of God stay away from this stuff. I was put on 25mg to help me sleep and for very mild anxiety. I took it and it DID help. Or so I thought. But then after a week or so of taking it. It made me extremely depressed and suicidal. Now I have extreme anxiety every morning and cannot wake up without being in a panic and hearing voices. I'm sure It put me into psychosis. I have never been depressed in my life! This is scary stuff guys. My MD said It was safe. But It has RUINED me completely. I lost my job and had to drop out of school. Please, please stay away from hydroxyzine hcl. Its been 3 months since I stopped and still cannot seem to get better. I can't live like this. I'm a 30 year old male. I don't want anybody to end up like this.”

Scared gurl April 23, 2021

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “I’ve been prescribed this drug for over a year now. It does little to nothing for my anxiety. Many times it has actually sent me into panic attacks which is why I was prescribed it originally. My panic attacks have gone away thanks to a newly prescribed mood stabilizer (lamotrigine) however if I take the atarax to try and help me sleep it almost certainly will cause me to have an attack. It makes my chest feel heavy and makes it feel as if I’m having difficulty breathing. I wouldn’t recommend but I know it does work for some people. It helps to quiet my mind but has the opposite effect on my physically. Also causes hot flashes which trigger my panic attacks as well.”

NatS · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “I’ve been taking Vistaril for anxiety on and off for years. More consistently for the past two years, it truly does help with anxiety, and is far safer than Benzo’s. I got hooked on benzos and had to withdrawal over a year- that was fun (insert sarcasm). The only negative I can list for Vistaril, is that the day after I take a Vistaril (I only take PRN) I’m in the worst mood. I even tell my husband, I had a vistaril yesterday, so leave me be. (32y/o female). You’re not alone. :) God bless.”

Tranquilthought · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “I have suffered extreme anxiety, panic disorder, and PTSD. I've been using this for over a week now (Prescribed at up to 100mg a day as needed but the highest dose I've taken has been 75mg). Just messing around with dosage to figure it out. This has been my saving grace for the time I've been in it. I'm glad it's not a benzo as I had a hard time coming off of it. With Vistril my panic attacks are fewer now in the week that I've been taking it. I do recommend this medication because I believe it fully works for anxiety. At least for mine :-)”

Sleepymama · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “The short version of my review: I love this medication. I was prescribed atarax at 35 weeks pregnant for insomnia and panic attacks/GAD. I was having crazy nightmares before I started taking it as well. The first few times I took it, it made me very tired but eventually that stopped happening- it makes it easy for me to fall asleep but not overly tired, and I’m not groggy in the morning. I have had to take it during the day for extreme anxiety or panic attacks and sometimes it slows me down a little but nothing crazy. I’m in recovery from drug addiction, so narcotic anxiety meds were not an option for me. I am so thankful I found this medication because it really helps me but doesn’t really give me any side effects. The one thing that I don’t like is that it makes me dizzy if I take it on an empty stomach, but usually I’ll just take it with a granola bar or yogurt and that’s enough to keep the dizziness at bay.”

True · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 11, 2021

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “I've been prescribed this three times for anxiety and PTSD and sleep. It works for none of these things and I really don't like it. I know they use it to avoid benzos but I would rather have actual relief. I have no addictive tendencies and I’m exhausted of panic and anxiety. I’m prescribed this but rarely take it. Also the more you take it the less it works.”

Nini · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“This drug hydroxyzine has been amazing for me and my anxiety. Xanax is way too strong for me, makes me feel like a zombie. Hydroxyzine helped me immediately to feel calm, in control and rational. It has been a life saver. I am so glad it exists. People shouldn’t say this drug is bad just because it is not the right fit for their symptoms.”

Joso · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 23, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “Had a few panic attacks shortly before my son was born. Went to a psychiatrist and they prescribed 50mg of Atarax. I found that a whole pills knocks me out and leaves me groggy for a few days but I cut the pill in half and it works great. Put you to sleep within a hour or so but the next day the tightness in my chest was gone and my anxiety was also gone. I only take it when the physical symptoms are too much and I can't enjoy life. I've had it the prescription for over a year and only taken it a half dozen times or so.”

Manny · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2020

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “This does little if nothing for me. Causes severe dry mouth which can lead to tooth decay. I have never in my sixty years on earth bought a drug from the streets. However. The low dose prescription klonopin I took for many years with no issues. The government has made it a hassle for doctors to prescribe benzos. They will throw everything else at you despite side effects and lack of it actually working. For persons with serious anxiety, buspar, visteral, lexapro do not work. I have tried them all. Benzos are a drug used in the treatment of anxiety for a decade and for most used safely. It is not the drug that is the problem they are safe and effective if used properly. As long as there are people wanting to abuse drugs there will be addiction problems. Great if visteral worked but it does not for me.”

Garnettree · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

“I went into full blown psychosis because a side effect of this medication hydroxyzine. I saw, heard, and felt demons. It starts with them in dreams and then eventually having these experiences while awake but only in the dark. Was hospitalized for a week because of this before the docs realized it was causing the psychosis. (Prescribed before and continued during hospitalization.) I tried it again a few years later, being semi-unsure of it caused my psychosis, and sure enough it started happening again. Thankfully I recognized it and was able to stop immediately. Took less than t three doses. It seems so crazy that this type of medication can cause a psychotic event but I'm telling you it definitely does do that to me.”

Stephie · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

“I was prescribed hydroxyzine to take as needed for anxiety. I took it once and it did not work at all. It didn't make me feel sleepy at all and it didn't help my anxiety, it made my anxiety a thousand times worse and I had a panic attack that lasted about 3 hours and I would not calm down. It didn't help me cope, it cancelled out my ability to cope”

Tori November 5, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “Atarax works great for my anxiety! I was on Xanax for many years to treat my GAD. I stopped and started using Atarax, 25mg 3 times a day. It will make you sleepy, although for me, it’s way better than experiencing constant worry and anxiety.”

Bons · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

“I have severe GAD/OCD and honestly, this really does take the edge off enough for me to be able to reign myself in and focus. That's all I need to be able to do. It allows me to be more clear headed and rational. It's done wonders for me honestly the past few weeks. I am not looking for it to take my anxiety completely, I'm also not looking for a stronger medication/SSRI/ or something similar. So yeah, I think if you don't want to take anything like that because you react badly to it then hydroxyzine is good.”

Insomniac · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

“I have had insomnia for the past 14 months. I have been to two sleep specialist. I have tried all kinds of drugs and I also I tried CBTI and meditation. I am 70 years old. Just last week my sleep doctor finally prescribed this hydroxyzine for me. I take 10 mg at bedtime – literally at bedtime, It works within 15 to 20 minutes.I cannot believe the difference it has made. I sleep through the night, prior to this if I slept at all I had at most six hours. I could easily sleep eight hours now. I wake up feeling very good. I’m taking nothing else with it. It’s not been quite a week yet, and I hope to continue this fabulous response. I had never heard of it before this, but I would suggest if you have problems with sleep and you might ask your doctors to let you try it. From my reading there are no long-term side effects, and no withdrawal symptoms. It is so much better than taking diazepam or Ambien.”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month July 30, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “My doctor prescribed the 10 mg dose of this medicine Atarax with the directions that I could take 1/2-1 tablet once daily for acute anxiety and 2-3 tablets at night for insomnia. I took 1/2 tablet for the first time around 6:15 pm and I was out cold by 7 pm. I slept until 7:45 am and had to get up for an appointment. I could barely drag myself out of bed and if I hadn’t only been going 2 miles from home, I wouldn’t have been able to drive myself. I came home and slept on and off til about 3 pm, when I finally started to feel more like normal. I guess you could say it helped my anxiety, because you can’t feel anxious if you’re unconscious! But there is no possible way I could ever take this medicine and go to work or get anything productive accomplished. I am going to hold on to it in case I have a major anxiety episode that I need to just sleep through, but at my follow up appointment I will definitely request that we try something else.”

Pinkybrain December 21, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “I have been taking atarax for about 2 years now and I can honestly say it’s such a relief for my anxiety . The only thing about the medication is it doesn’t have a long effect like other medications . So I take this medication 3x a day . I suffer from PTSD and generalized anxiety disorder and my anxiety and worry is over the roof , when I take this medication it has a calming effect and I’m able to think logically and calm myself down if I start getting anxious . I have not gained weight on it I been in my weight loss journey with this medication and haven’t had a weight gain issue . I recommend this medication !”

Spitty · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2019

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): “Listen Vitaril pretty decent for anxiety! I was on this 25mg 3x daily and it has helped take off the edge, it doesn't stop it 100% but with other medication and proper anxiety relief techniques, this will help you immensely with anxiety. However since I'm a teen drop out (due to anxiety) I can sleep 9 hours and then sleep another 9 hours W/O feeling tired at all (great side affect- I like). I highly recommend this for people with panic attacks! Don't listen to the scary reviews if you truely have tried everything except meds TRY THIS and don't be scared...”

meggix · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “For me, Atarax works for anxiety! I've taken half a pill as needed for anxiety. I have GAD with panic attacks, and it calms me down. I will say though, on an empty stomach, it does make me dizzy. Overall really good med!”

Peaches · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “Hydroxyzine 25mg, EQ Atarax. If your dr prescribes you Atarax for anxiety, tell them you’ve already taken it and all it does is make you sleepy. I had a hot flash within 20min of taking it, and my chest, dead in the center feels like someone is sitting on me. I slept for 12hrs and at times felt like I wasn’t breathing. Yea, maybe my anxiety did decrease, because I was asleep..... This is the WORST medication I’ve ever tried. I’d rather take Benadryl, at least I don’t get hot flashes with it.”

Tdawggg December 18, 2020

“Doctor prescribed Hydroxyzine 25mg HCL tablets for the treatment of my general anxiety. Was recently diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea and I've been having bad anxiety at night while trying to sleep with the machine. Used to have bad panic attacks but they went away a few years ago. I was a bit apprehensive to take this medication because of the bad reviews but it worked GREAT for me. Took one tablet before bed and I slept 10 hours with my CPAP machine, woke up feeling amazing. Yes, I was a little groggy in the am but not nearly as severe as other reviews. Highly recommend and I hope it works for you!”

Daisy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 20, 2021

“I have suffered from anxiety my whole life. My main trigger is social situations because I'm an introvert, and as much as I enjoy the company of others (I really do enjoy people), people who talk way too much or have too much energy can send me into a panic attack. My doctor prescribed me hydroxazine, and I have NO complaints in the effectiveness. It truly helps snapping me out of a panic attack, it calms me down within minutes, it slows down my racing mind and gives me the best sleep of my life. I wouldn't recommend taking the whole tablet during the day because it does make you very tired fairly quickly. My only con is that it makes you very tired the next day..not even caffeine can wake me up. My body just has to process the medication at its own pace and by late afternoon the next day I'm awake again. Pretty great drug though, it's saved me many times when my panic attacks were so bad I thought I was going to have a heart attack.”

rp January 29, 2020

“I just started this drug hydroxyzine two weeks ago as I have GAD, PTSD and Panic disorder. I am really very impressed with this drug and the best way to describe it is if I have ten things to do instead of bouncing around all ten and getting nothing accomplished it slows me down enough to put the list to work one task at a time. Very effective and no side effects for me.”

bug · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2019

“I don't really get why everyone dislikes this drug so much! I've been on benzos before and although those do help in a different way, knowing this won't be so addictive makes me feel at ease. A huge game changer was the fact that it didn't leave me with a huge depression 'hangover' once it wears off. The thing I don't like about it is that it can put me in a sort of a brain foggy state, but personally I am used to dealing with that. I take usually 25mg and I'm set for a while. I have anxiety+social anxiety and there is a difference for me I can tell when I take it. I don't usually leave reviews but I keep seeing so many negative things about hydroxyzine online that just makes me want to share my experience for those who might feel discouraged when being put on it.”

Ptsd · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

“I suffer from from a Traumatic brain injury. This medicine hydroxycine has really helped me in so many ways I can describe. I would definitely recommend giving it a try. So glad I could find something that’s not Benzo related and works because those others meds out there are a nightmare to get off. This you only take it if you need it.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “Was prescribed 10mg Atarax tablets with directions to take 1-2 as every 6 hours as needed for anxiety and panic attacks. Taking 1 pill did nothing, so I took 2 the next time I felt anxiety creeping in. It made me very tired and dizzy, then sent me into a panic attack. I am better off not taking this medication when I feel anxiety coming on because it usually does not develop into a panic attack, let alone as worse as this one got.”

Cupcake November 3, 2019

Atarax (hydroxyzine): “I’ve been taking this medication Atarax for 4 years now, I take it for my severe panic and anxiety attacks it has helped me so much ! This medicine is wonderful! It’s a sedative that dr uses for patients after surgery or before ! Those who don’t really know about it here you go! Atarax (hydroxyzine) reduces activity in the central nervous system. It also acts as an antihistamine that reduces the natural chemical histamine in the body. Histamine can produce symptoms of sneezing and runny nose, or hives on the skin. Atarax is used as a sedative to treat anxiety and tension! But it also helps me sleep at night when I feel a panic attack come on I take one and go to sleep witch that’s what I want thanks to this medicine!!!!”

Jack · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 2, 2021

“I took Hydroxyzine Hcl 10mg for night time anxiety and insomnia for 5 years. I will say it helped me through some hard years but came with costs. My brain is not as healthy as before and my memory and sleep patterns are forever changed. I developed ADD type symptoms over the 5 years. Knowing its an antihistamine it probably shouldn't be used as an anxiety medicine but it has anxiolytic effects and is a mild serotonin antagonist which boosts mood. These benefits shouldn't outweigh the costs of using an anti cholinergic drug longterm which can cause serious side effects, but providers freely prescribe it out instead of benzo's all the time due to high risks of addiction for benzos (hydrox isn't addicting for most people). Overall, I wish I had not taken it and had other options like I do now. It helped and ruined my life over the 5 year span.”