User Reviews for Hydroxyzine

Also known as: Atarax, Hyzine, Rezine, Vistaril, Vistazine

Learn more about Hydroxyzine.

Hydroxyzine Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Hydroxyzine to treat Anxiety

"I was prescribed vistaril by my primary. I have severe anxiety and panic attacks. About 45 minutes ago I took this for the first time and being completely honest, it did help relieve that sense of intense fear! I also feel way more relaxed than what I was feeling! Overall I recommend!"

Hayleew (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had major depressive disorder with borderline bipolar since I was 9. These last several years started to develop anxiety. Haven't been able to find medications to help with my depression, so the anxiety really just pulled everything farther down for me. Thankfully though have a wonderful doctor now, an whereas still having trouble finding anything to help with my depression, have started hydroxyzine for my anxiety. I am sensitive to medication, an first tried half a 25mg pill, which knocked me on my behind! But during the day I take roughly 6-7mg when needed, an it calms me enough to be able to go outside and to the store. I also have insomnia, so taking a half pill at bedtime on bad nights usually helps me sleep ok. Fully recommend!"

catblue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug does well for the purpose it was prescribed for: reduction of anxiety. However I commonly suffer from sleep walking, sleep motions and even talking. This drug really kicked all of that into overdrive. I spend the night having nightmares and constantly waking myself and my girlfriend up because I will scream at the top of my lungs as well as kick and punch the bed. If you have sleep issues like me I would not recommend it. If you do not then I would recommend it."

ValientThorr July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have tried so many things for my anxiety...Vistaril for anxiety did not help me personally...I know everyone is different but this did not help me at all. I just started Buspar for my anxiety so I am hoping this helps. But Vistaril did NOTHING... I didn't feel anything it may work for certain people but absolutely nothing happened with my anxiety decreasing ..."

Leahbobeah90 July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst medication experience! I was prescribed this drug for a panic attack that would subside. The pill was hydroxyzine 25 mg.. I took half of it as I'm leery of side effects to medication. It first felt like everything was okay. I went to sleep and it all started there. I had some of the vivid dreams. I would luckily be awakened by my surroundings. I would then get in bed and lay there. I felt paralyzed. Like my brain couldn't make my body do anything like raise my arm. I hallucinated and heard voices. I decided I couldn't go back to sleep after that. I woke up but felt as I was floating. I remember trying to focus but was looking for imaginary things. It literally felt like I was dreaming while awake. It was terrifying. Do not recommend!"

LadyEdith56789 June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only giving this drug a 5/10 because it has only been about a week and most medications work well for the first week. However, at the moment things are going much better for me! I was at a point where I was crying and snapping at people almost constantly. I'm now taking 25mg of vistaril in the morning and 0.5mg klonopin before bed. The vistaril doesn't make me tired at all, just strangely calm (not in a tranquilized way) and the klonopin helps me actually sleep. For now, this seems to be a great medication and a great combination as well."

Hfgvxstibvt36hsjp June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Atarax (hydroxyzine): "Its my first time using any sort of drug for anxiety. The doctor gave me a 10mg sized Atarax and it only made me feel sleepy. I still felt nervous and anxious over my work and these feelings didn't go away. Maybe I should be taking 25mg like the others here. Either way this 10mg capsules are suppose to last me until I go for my appointment with a professional pychiatrist."

Aryesi June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started having really bad anxiety & panic attacks which I ended up in the ER for. I was given xanax which helped out tremendously and I was fine for a long time. Then I had another really bad panic attack and ended up back in the ER. I was then prescribed hydroxyzine 25mg to take four times a day as needed which I ended up needing to take the following day because I had another panic attack IT DID NOTHING. The next day I had one at work at took another, since I was told to try it four times a day I figure maybe I would take one every 6 hours to see if maybe it can prevent a panic attack from even starting but NOPE! This medicine does nothing for me and with my anxiety and panic attacks it feels like I'm having mini heart attacks. I rather take the xanax"

PanicMandy June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I absolutely love this medicine. .. It seems like it's the only one that helps, it will make u sleepy and I also feel less hungry..."

Shortness of breath (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I've struggled with Anxiety my whole life I've tried SSRI and Benzodiapams they SSRI's made me sick and sluggish and benzos are severely addicting and I refuse to become addicted to something. Vistaril works great for me as you take it longer you won't be very sleepy. I take 10mg at night and only need it at night sometimes in the day and it lasts. I have no panic attacks. Hardly ever. I went from having panic attacks daily to one every once in a while. I love this medication ."

Jillybean4207 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had generalized anxiety for about ten years, with some panic attacks. Ended up in the ER twice in three days and saw a Dr. He prescribed hydroxyzine 25mg twice a day. Being fearful of pills, it took me a few days to give it a shot as I know many people with high anxiety are afraid of pills also and effects. I started slow and took 10mg and besides a few hot flashes an hour in ,it made me tired but relaxed. I slept fine and had no problems. I took another again today, same dose and was tired not long after. This was during the morning and I ended up literally going in and out of sleep for hours on end, hearing everything but also not awake, very strange. Anxiety a bit better, yes. Give it a try"

GADgrl May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "horrible medication! Was given this antihistamine for anxiety, it gave me hallucinations and nightmares about people dying and cartoon animal trying to kill me. The feeling didn't go away the next day. It took me two days to get it out of my system. Worst medication ever!!!!"

sammy555 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this drug for two days for anxiety. It's helped me tremendously already. I've never taken anything else and I've had anxiety for 10+ years, until this last serious episode that developed into panic attacks, that's why I finally decided to try something. After two days I already feel way more control of my thoughts. I'll still get anxious but it's way more manageable now. I've also noticed on this site that the negative reviews seem to be people who have already had xanax or something prior to this drug. If your thinking about this before anything else I recommend trying it. I had the prescription for two weeks before my Dr. convinced me to try. Wish I had two weeks ago."

AnxiousE (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took this medicine for 6 months for panic attacks it helped tremendously at first but soon it stopped helping the panic so I'd take way more than directed thinking it was the dose but then after I was told I could overdose and die taking too much. I stopped taking so much and taking just the recommended dose just began making me severely drowsy."

Peach99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did not help even a little for my panic attacks and anxiety. In fact it caused my depression to relapse after years of being ok."

Ry34 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill is extremely helpful. I had very bad anxiety due to my friend passing away, stress at work, and some family issues. I was to the point that I was about to slap everybody at work, just from being overwhelmed and a few peoples negative intentions. Before taking this medication I would barely sleep at night, tossing and turning. It's been 3 days now and I already see improvement on how I feel and my attitude over all. I'm starting to not allow work get to me and raise my blood pressure. I feel more relaxed and calmer now, and able to sleep through the whole night. I feel great and I'm so surprised because last week I was borderline depressed."

RockettPower May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on visaril for a week now! Believe me when I say my anxiety was over the top before this,now it's manageable and it has increased my appetite which is a good thing for me! I'm not used to taking anything at all for any reason because of the adverse effects from the big pharmaceutical industry games that keep you sick! Vistaril however I have 0 regrets because it's less likey to cause even a mental addiction, let alone a physical one! Its been very helpful for me but do keep in mind that everyone reacts differently than others! I find it very helpful for me!"

Tina57 May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Makes me tired and dizzy, I can not breastfeed my son. Do not like this I'd rather take xanax"

Alinaafsfv May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed instead of usual xanax for anxiety. 25mg, up to three times a day a day. Not sure who could take more than one of these during the day. Luckily I was at home and could take a nap. 2.5 hours later I woke up and was so groggy I could barely get out of bed. Had work related dinner that I attended, went to bed directly following the dinner and slept until about 4am. STILL not what I would consider alert and functioning. I'd rather have anxiety This stuff is NOT a substitute for xanax."

Themrs4 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed hydroxyzine and it does not help with anxiety at all. It takes an hour to kick in, but it does help with my allergies, which is an unnecessary plus."

War Vet (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I take 25 mg and it does not work. My Dr has prescribed it for 2 months now and I have told her that it don't work. I would rather have the xanax back."

Ccjr43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "Been on vistaril for a month. Works fine for me. Finally getting a full night sleep. I feel so much better awakening in the morning."

Special K1029 May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Vistaril (hydroxyzine): "I have been suffering from "AAD" & Panic Disorder for most of my life. Took my 1st "classic" panic attack in the 5th grade!!! I was Finally diagnosed at 23. I'm have been treated with xanax, clonopin and ativan for this awful condition ever since. I am now 43. Because of all the Abuse of these meds though by people that don't need it for anything except to "get high" makes me furious!!! Because where I live in N.J.,no kind of doctor wants to prescribe any kind of benzo anymore. It's awful because these meds help so many people. I was just yanked, not weaned, off the xanax and given Vistaril 100mg 3 times a day. This is the Most awful medication I have ever taken In my life!!! I had such horrible S/E's I went to the E.R.!!! TERRIBLE MED!!!"

PanicAnxietyMess May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hydroxyzine has been a miracle for my anxiety. I was having chest pain so bad I couldn't breathe. Problems with my heart were ruled out and I was prescribed this medication. It helps me relax but doesn't make me groggy at all. I can still work and function in life. I also tend to get car sick so a positive side effect was that it helps with nausea. It also isn't addictive. My doctor said it could have side effects such as dry mouth, urinary retention, or blurred vision, but I have not experienced any of these side effects."

Sam1988 April 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had bad PTSD, anxiety and panic attacks and it does work for me. I'm happy to hear it works for others, though."

Mgg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2017