User Reviews for Ativan

Learn more about Ativan.

Ativan Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 107 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Insomnia

"I have been taking 1 1/2 mg every other night for sleep for the past 3 years. I have tried my other drugs for sleep and ativan is the only one that works consistently. Because of its addiction potential I take it only every other night. Also I have not had to increase the dosage in 3 years, which I believe is a result of not taking it every night. It is easier to tolerate my non-Ativan night of insomnia when I know I will be sleeping well the next night."

bashbish (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I rarely have trouble falling asleep so that's not why I use it. I use it to stay asleep if I wake up in the middle of the night for whatever reason. There are times when I wake up 2-3 hours before I want to and my brain shifts into overdrive and I can't get back to sleep, or if I do, it takes me about an hour. This medication eliminates that. I only use it if I've had a few nights in a row like that. Then I get caught up and wake up rested. I would never feel comfortable about using it nightly. Thankfully I don't need to. 0.5mg is all it takes for me. I'm 5'3" about 130 give or take 5lbs. A bottle of 30 lasts me several weeks or a few months."

Pam, RN (use to stay asleep) (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Ativan (aka Lorezapam) because I had a head injury and my Doctor presumably thought that I had a very high level of anxiety (I wasn't getting enough sleep with the head injury so the Doctors perception was incorrect), but once I started using Ativan sleep woes disappeared completely of which I had always had problems staying asleep for virtually all of my life ! Ativan (Lorezapam) puts you into a "deep" sleep, you don't wake up during the middle of the night (Or late night for that matter!), cuts dreaming down to virtually zero and is THE BEST SLEEP MEDICATION I HAVE "EVER" SEEN !!! My prescription was for 1mg and to be taken 1 hour before going to sleep which is exactly what I did ! Effective Rating = "10" !"

RickS64 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helps with restless extremities aiding falling asleep."

jbenr (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was given to me in the hospital to aid in sleeping. I woke up in another hospital bed down the hall. It was empty and I was trying to get in that bed. I had a heart monitor on, but I had moved out of my room, and was half dressed wandering the halls until I came on the nurse station. Why didn't someone know I was having an issue, because of my disconnected heart monitor? They put me back in bed and seemed upset at me. They never explained. I just took it once. I was awake but couldn't see or know what has happened, or about to happen. Could have walked off a bldg. "

Kaneohe January 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am going on a 14 hour plane trip and wanted a sedative. I hate flying especially on LONG flights across the world . I got Ativan. I took one (.5) before bedtime before I left home to see how it worked and how strong it was. Sadly I got zip out of it. I am super sensitive to meds.. I take an aspirin and I know in 5 minutes I am 'medicated'. SO I am majorly disappointed. Now I am even more anxious about my trip. ugh."

humbuggie September 6, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this nightly for about 4 years now because of back pain I don't sleep well. It does a good job of helping me sleep but now it is causing my eyes to become very dry so I will look for an alternative."

skiguy (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given Ativan for occasional use. I try to use it once every week or once every ten days for sleep. (0.5mg). I'm lucky that I don't have to use it any more regularly because I don't work right now. I find that it helps me relax to sleep, and I wake up feeling and looking rested. The looking rested part is important because it tells me how good it is at actually calming the anxiety. I know that when my anxiety is high, even if I sleep 10hrs, I'll wake up tired and looking tired. But I think this medicine actually does a good job of getting rid of that anxiety, so your body can rest and get into some level of "deep" sleep. But absolutely, really only use it on the day that you must."

Joe9393 August 9, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with Ativan (lorazepam) has been one I've come to love and set the bar high when it comes to sleep. I developed insomnia as a result of having to take opioid medication for my CRPS/RSD in addition of the fact that I'm slowly recovering from the death of my best friend who passed in 2010. I have been on every insomnia medicine there is. My current regimen of the normal opiate and muscle relaxants, one to 1.5 grams of Keppra, 555mg valerian root, 10mg of melatonin, 25mg of amitriptyline, and adding up to 4mg of Ativan, depending on the next day's tasks. Works like a charm every night. "

RickyRX (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Use 0.5mg a night for insomnia. Works great and puts me to sleep quick. Feel good in the morning."

Bill710 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has given me a good few hours sleep for the past three nights. I had previously not been sleeping more than an hour or two for several weeks previous."

honeycomb (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a addict in recovery and have been clean for 10 years, I have been prescribed Ativan for both anxiety and sleep, I am a 3rd shift worker and feel this medication can be "psychological addicting" so I do my best to always check my motive for taking it, I try not to take it more than 3 days in a row and (only once a day)."

earthease (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This didn't help my insomnia at all. If anything, it makes my mind think even more. I have even more trouble sleeping than when I was on Elavil 25mg or Zopiclone 7.5mg. It's frustrating since I'm only 20 years old and I've been suffering from insomnia for 2 and a half years now."

Anonymous January 19, 2012

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I use this more for anxiety but it does calm me down to be able to sleep."

dependant4 May 18, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ativan is a great medicine and glad my psychiatrist prescribed me 1 mg 2 times a day. Though I use that as well as Klonopin but Ativan gets me to sleep sometimes and Klonopin keeps me asleep. Overall I believe its a God send."

benzodiazepine October 19, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken just about every drug known to man and found that Ativan works best. Calms me right down and actually lets me sleep ALL NIGHT !"

jroxx December 3, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I very much appreciate the quickness of the calming from an anxiety attack."

Chrystal_Joy September 23, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ativan is wonderful for dealing with a stressful job, failing marriage, aging parents and restless leg. My doctor prescribed this medication for me so I can relax at night. I was well rested and the next day I felt more energized."

Anonymous December 30, 2008

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have chronic pain and have had difficulty sleeping for many years. I've used several other medicines that work well for a while or leave me with a sleep "hangover". I've been using this medicine for a little over a month and I'm feeling much better, my pain is less and I feel very rested in the morning. I'm very thankful."

Anonymous November 27, 2008

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I find when I have those nights that my brain just can't settle down, either a .5 or 1 mg Ativan will help me relax just enough to get a restful sleep. Usually I feel totally energized and fresh the next morning. This is the only thing I have found in almost 20 years that works. However, I can only use it on my worst nights, as it is addictive. That's the only drawback."

Anonymous March 1, 2008