User Reviews for Ativan

Ativan Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Anxiety

"This pill has been my safety net for my severe anxiety attacks, panic attacks and ADHD. I have been taking this pill off and on for 6 years and have never been addicted to it. I take 0.5 during the day and it actually makes me feel like myself and sometimes even gives me more energy this pill has been a true life saver"

Jasminefab (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 21, 2018

"This med was prescribed to me last year after my anxiety (& BPD) got really bad after steroid knee injections. At that time, I'd only needed 4-5 doses but was prescribed enough for 30, so I saved the rest for "emergency" situations (times like now). It seems to be helpful for the chronic anxiety & chronic insomnia I've been experiencing related to my various chronic pain conditions. Some negative things I've noticed with it are it makes my brain/pain fog worse, it increases/worsens some BPD symptoms & it makes my fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis knee pain worse. Otherwise, it's a pretty good medication."

Jillyn31 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"I recently developed panic attacks and anxiety , just thinking about anxiety makes you anxious.. at least for me. I was just prescribed 0.5 Ativan and 10 mg Lexapro for anxiety. I hope it works..I used to be on celexa but never really did much for me tbh. I'm hoping the withdrawals aren't bad."

Jmf41133 April 11, 2018

"Works well in reducing severe chronic anxiety. When you start treatment, request a system where you can skip the med at least 1-2 days a week. Intermittent dosing allows you to keep track of the underlying anxiety condition, and improves long-term efficacy. If you take the med without a break for years you can forget how unbearable chronic anxiety actually is, with intermittent dosing the benefits and drawbacks of being medicated vs unmedicated are very clear."

Pierrot (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2018

"I was in a traumatic car accident. I ended up with severe anxiety. I ended getting panic attacks also. Thought I was going to die. Never took any anxiety pills before this accident. Now I'm taking Lorazepam - Ativan this works great for me. Oh my goodness! I'm reading the reviews. Everyone is different. Some works for some and some won't. It's a 50/50 chance like any drug. It depends on the severity of your diagnosis and how well your body can adapt to it. All depends. I can tell you this. It works for me. For now. My mom took it for 15 yrs. She's 64yrs old. It works great for her. Anyone taking this should walk, exercise or so a hobby you like. Sauna always helps. Anything relaxing helps. It decreases your anxiety and remember counselling or going to a support group helps. "

Jazzy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

"I would not survive without being able to take this drug."

Mental mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2018

"Prescribed by G.P. for anxiety 4mg. A day approximately 10 years ago, along with Zopiclone for 15 mg. for insomnia. I started to abuse both about 2 years ago. Sitting in a Treatment Centre for Drug Addicts, while I type this. Do not take Ativan or Zopiclone, easy to become addicted to both. Went through Hell detoxing and it took 19 days to get off the Ativan. There are better medications out there for you."

Diamond Lil (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2018

"Have taken ativan on and off ..more on than off for 24 years. I have quit it for life and having terrible withdrawal symptoms. Hot, cold, blurred vision memory loss. Please do take this medication."

Offativanforever (taken for 10 years or more) February 27, 2018

"I was prescribed ativan I mg every 4 to 6 hours approximately 6 years ago. This was given to me by my primary care physician as I was randomly shaking and feeling sick without provocation. I am so confused by this drug. You see the withdrawals are the same as the symptoms it was prescribed for. I fear I am addicted to it. I work everyday and am a functional person, could I be addicted to this med? I try to wean off but it doesn't work. I feel dizzy sick and shaky every time I try. This is an awful feeling. I wish I never needed it."

Worried (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2018

"OK OK Ativan does work, especially when you're having a full on attack in the psychiatrict unit. But just like everything else it does become addicting. Beware"

helenasadness February 21, 2018

"Be careful with this sneaky drug at first it works great but very quickly I mean within days it is highly addictive before you know it you’ll be using it daily and withdrawal syndrome associated with benzo’s is horrible. Use with caution"

Benzo no no February 13, 2018

"Helps for my insomnia better then it does for my anxiety. But I have Klonopin and Xanax for my many panic and forms of anxiety."

Worm321 (taken for 10 years or more) February 2, 2018

"I was prescribed Ativan for panic attacks due to anxiety, and it has worked wonderfully well. After trying many different antidepressants and seeing no results, my doctor prescribed me 1mg Ativan for use as needed. As soon as I feel a panic attack coming on, I take a tablet - within 10 minutes, I start to feel calm, safe and relaxed. It’s a tremendously useful “emergency stop” button for panic attacks. The idea of having a medication that can stop a panic attach should one come on allows me to feel safe and relaxed throughout the day."

Yikes-111 January 12, 2018

"Started taking Ativan a few weeks ago and have noticed a decrease in my anxiety. I can also sleep a bit better"

Frodofrodo baggins December 8, 2017

"Doctor prescribed ativan super willy-nilly because I've been dealing with panic attacks, and told me to take a 1mg tablet when I need to. Tried a 1mg tablet while panicking, and the effect is just unpleasant. I definitely feel that there are less 'voices' in my head; everything is much more quiet. But I'm also extremely drowsy.. so much so that I doubt I'd be able to take ativan at work (where my anxiety actually occurs). I'm also having strange muscle pains.. just feels like a really lame weed high. I won't try it again."

AmyAmyAmy November 22, 2017

"I have had various SSRI's and etc - nothing worked. Just gone on 2.5mg ativan and feel it has saved my life. Seems I had crippling anxiety without being aware of it, as no panic attacks etc. So there are some people with bad experiences, but do not generalise."

Hummingbird 17 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"I had a nervous breakdown last year. Thought death was imminent and I would go to hell. My psychiatric CNP would not prescribe benzos. I was completely terrified, like a 2 month long panic attack. Went to the ER twice. They gave me ativan and I felt blissful relief. Right back to the terror the next day. I have a prescribing psychologist now who would give it to me if I needed it. But finally got prescribed clonazepam. It was okay but not nearly as good as the ativan. I used it for a while until the morbid dread subsided, had no rebound problems. Maybe if I took it for months on end I would. But nothing but benzos worked for me."

bpmabq (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

"Just wanted to share my experience with SSRI's not good ,so I was put on Remeron ,still never took the edge off still had a lot of anxiety and other problems associated with anxiety. I have taken Ativan off an on for about 10 years with no side effects when going off for periods of time.So I consider it one of the better medications to take to get relief from anxiety.So give it a try. Thank you"

Feeling well November 13, 2017

"Makes me more anxious. Higher doses are worse."

ReservedGene (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2017

"For immediate relief this drug is great. I take 0.5mg when I absolutely need it (2-3x every couple months.) but only reason I wouldn't give it a 9 or 10 because I did have a bad experience with this drug. I took it for 7 days straight 3x .5mg per day as prescribed by my doctor for generalized anxiety disorder. I abruptly stopped taking it because I didn't want to have to take it everyday and I ended up going thru a withdraw. I then got vertigo for a couple months, which was absolutely terrible. BUT I think it you use this drug responsibly and do NOT take it multiple days in a row it can definitely come in handy. I also have high blood pressure caused by anxiety, and usually get effective relief after about 30 minutes. Hang in there!"

SlowRex September 1, 2017

"So with my Schizoaffective disorder, in the mornings I get moody and grumpy and little stressed, so I take 1 mg before going to work and in 30 minutes exactly magic happens and I feel relaxed and calm which leads to better communication at work since I'm a peer support worker. works great 10/10"

kilo_canada August 25, 2017

"My husband was 38 years old and committed suicide while taking Ativan. This medication was administered to him from two different psychiatrists. Ativan was prescribed for his anxiety. He took it in combination with Welbutrin for his depression. He was on Ativan for approximately three months. The medication made his heart race because of the lethal combination mixing with Welbutrin for his depression. He became manic, paranoid, and had extreme body tremors, insomnia, and many many trips to Emergency Room from side effects. This company knows it can cause suicide and writes it on the label. Do not take it."

Do not take this medication (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

"I forgot how well this stuff works. I've been using Ativan every so often for six years. I hadn't taken it in ages but had a panic attack tonight and I feel really good now after taking it. I know when my anxiety was a lot worse, it didn't bring me down to 0 anxiety but took the edge off. At one point in the past I was taking it pretty much daily but never became dependent on it (I only take the 0.5mg dose). I do feel kind of sleepy, but pleasantly so. In my experience the sublingual (under the tongue) type works a lot better than the normal swallowed pills."

ANXiousfriend (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2017

"If I take 3mg's this works very well for anxiety and it works quickly, the only thing is it usually also makes me sleepy so I try to only take it when I know I can go take a nap if need be, other than that no complaints."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

"Female, 21. Developed a panic disorder and hypochondria at 16. I did CBT therapy for a long time which helped immensely. I would go to the ER and Dr constantly. I would have a hard time falling asleep because I would panic I would die. I have been on this for 6 years, 0.5mg-1mg as needed. I only took it when in the throws of panic during a time when I did not know how to cope. It has done absolute wonders for me. I take 0.5mg only a few times a year now just when my GAD gets to be too much or anxiety disrupts my sleep for more than a few days. It's wonderful in small doses, as needed, and combined with CBT. I have had no side effects or withdrawal except if you take it when you aren't panicking and on occasion it can make you quite sleepy."

Gardeniaaa July 24, 2017