User Reviews for Ativan

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ativan.

Ativan Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Anxiety

"I was prescribed Ativan for panic attacks due to anxiety, and it has worked wonderfully well. After trying many different antidepressants and seeing no results, my doctor prescribed me 1mg Ativan for use as needed. As soon as I feel a panic attack coming on, I take a tablet - within 10 minutes, I start to feel calm, safe and relaxed. It’s a tremendously useful “emergency stop” button for panic attacks. The idea of having a medication that can stop a panic attach should one come on allows me to feel safe and relaxed throughout the day."

Yikes-111 January 12, 2018

"Started taking Ativan a few weeks ago and have noticed a decrease in my anxiety. I can also sleep a bit better"

Frodofrodo baggins December 8, 2017

"Doctor prescribed ativan super willy-nilly because I've been dealing with panic attacks, and told me to take a 1mg tablet when I need to. Tried a 1mg tablet while panicking, and the effect is just unpleasant. I definitely feel that there are less 'voices' in my head; everything is much more quiet. But I'm also extremely drowsy.. so much so that I doubt I'd be able to take ativan at work (where my anxiety actually occurs). I'm also having strange muscle pains.. just feels like a really lame weed high. I won't try it again."

AmyAmyAmy November 22, 2017

"I have had various SSRI's and etc - nothing worked. Just gone on 2.5mg ativan and feel it has saved my life. Seems I had crippling anxiety without being aware of it, as no panic attacks etc. So there are some people with bad experiences, but do not generalise."

Hummingbird 17 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"I had a nervous breakdown last year. Thought death was imminent and I would go to hell. My psychiatric CNP would not prescribe benzos. I was completely terrified, like a 2 month long panic attack. Went to the ER twice. They gave me ativan and I felt blissful relief. Right back to the terror the next day. I have a prescribing psychologist now who would give it to me if I needed it. But finally got prescribed clonazepam. It was okay but not nearly as good as the ativan. I used it for a while until the morbid dread subsided, had no rebound problems. Maybe if I took it for months on end I would. But nothing but benzos worked for me."

bpmabq (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

"Just wanted to share my experience with SSRI's not good ,so I was put on Remeron ,still never took the edge off still had a lot of anxiety and other problems associated with anxiety. I have taken Ativan off an on for about 10 years with no side effects when going off for periods of time.So I consider it one of the better medications to take to get relief from anxiety.So give it a try. Thank you"

Feeling well November 13, 2017

"Makes me more anxious. Higher doses are worse."

ReservedGene (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2017

"For immediate relief this drug is great. I take 0.5mg when I absolutely need it (2-3x every couple months.) but only reason I wouldn't give it a 9 or 10 because I did have a bad experience with this drug. I took it for 7 days straight 3x .5mg per day as prescribed by my doctor for generalized anxiety disorder. I abruptly stopped taking it because I didn't want to have to take it everyday and I ended up going thru a withdraw. I then got vertigo for a couple months, which was absolutely terrible. BUT I think it you use this drug responsibly and do NOT take it multiple days in a row it can definitely come in handy. I also have high blood pressure caused by anxiety, and usually get effective relief after about 30 minutes. Hang in there!"

SlowRex September 1, 2017

"So with my Schizoaffective disorder, in the mornings I get moody and grumpy and little stressed, so I take 1 mg before going to work and in 30 minutes exactly magic happens and I feel relaxed and calm which leads to better communication at work since I'm a peer support worker. works great 10/10"

kilo_canada August 25, 2017

"My husband was 38 years old and committed suicide while taking Ativan. This medication was administered to him from two different psychiatrists. Ativan was prescribed for his anxiety. He took it in combination with Welbutrin for his depression. He was on Ativan for approximately three months. The medication made his heart race because of the lethal combination mixing with Welbutrin for his depression. He became manic, paranoid, and had extreme body tremors, insomnia, and many many trips to Emergency Room from side effects. This company knows it can cause suicide and writes it on the label. Do not take it."

Do not take this medication (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

"I forgot how well this stuff works. I've been using Ativan every so often for six years. I hadn't taken it in ages but had a panic attack tonight and I feel really good now after taking it. I know when my anxiety was a lot worse, it didn't bring me down to 0 anxiety but took the edge off. At one point in the past I was taking it pretty much daily but never became dependent on it (I only take the 0.5mg dose). I do feel kind of sleepy, but pleasantly so. In my experience the sublingual (under the tongue) type works a lot better than the normal swallowed pills."

ANXiousfriend (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 1, 2017

"If I take 3mg's this works very well for anxiety and it works quickly, the only thing is it usually also makes me sleepy so I try to only take it when I know I can go take a nap if need be, other than that no complaints."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

"Female, 21. Developed a panic disorder and hypochondria at 16. I did CBT therapy for a long time which helped immensely. I would go to the ER and Dr constantly. I would have a hard time falling asleep because I would panic I would die. I have been on this for 6 years, 0.5mg-1mg as needed. I only took it when in the throws of panic during a time when I did not know how to cope. It has done absolute wonders for me. I take 0.5mg only a few times a year now just when my GAD gets to be too much or anxiety disrupts my sleep for more than a few days. It's wonderful in small doses, as needed, and combined with CBT. I have had no side effects or withdrawal except if you take it when you aren't panicking and on occasion it can make you quite sleepy."

Gardeniaaa July 24, 2017

"I'd been having problems with insomnia and anxiety, both conditions feeding off each other and making the other worse and creating mild depression. My GP prescribed 0.5mg to be taken at bed time as needed, to be increased to 1mg if needed (only gave me 14 tablets as they are habit forming). Amazing results! I slept through the night and woke feeling calm and NORMAL for the whole next day AND the day after! I've taken 3 doses in the last 11 days, and took 1mg after a particularly stressful day with the same good results. No side effects of note except for a very mild headache 24 hours after the first dose. I'm expecting to have a decreased need for these after starting a new job in the next week but so happy to have them to get me through."

AMtgr (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2017

"You would have to be crazy to take Ativan. I took 1-2 mg 2x a day for 6 months and had withdrawal symptoms for almost 4 years after stopping over a 2 week period per my doctor. If you think your life is bad before taking Ativan just wait until you experience the withdrawal and after effects of this poison. After 2 years still had vibrating hyper sensitive vision and hearing . Burning in your nerves especially in your feet. Forget sleep all you do is lie in bed awake for me almost 2 years dreaming while awake. That part was the most torturous part of the med. The FDA needs to remove Ativan from FDA approval immediately."

BenzoWarrior0711 July 5, 2017

"Used at a funeral, supposed to take 0.5mgs, did not work at all. Took another, and another, and another. Maybe my doctor sucks, or maybe Ativan sucks. Do yourself a favor and get some Xanax if needed for occasional anxiety."

Ativandosage sucks (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2017

"Fast acting. I take .25mg once or twice daily. Some days none. I have a slight dependence on it even at the low dose. I can skip it but notice when I do. Not nearly as effective as it used to be but still works. I prefer to keep the dose low and use it with Buspar 7.5 twice daily and 75mg Effexor XR for my OCD and depression. The Effexor seems to help my OCD and the Buspar/Ativan takes the edge off the Effexor. I also use Ambien CR 12.5mg."

UndrMediKated June 17, 2017

"I've been using ativan for anxiety and insomnia for the last 5 or so years. Lately I have been having side effects after taking only 1-2 pills at night for sleep. It does help me fall asleep but the next day I wake up nauseous. And I'm nauseous all day. Another weird side effect that it seems no one else has experienced is that my skin feels weird, like my fingers feel like there is a coating on them...It's hard to describe but it happens every time I take ativans. I get no side effects like this from valium or xanax. I hope my doctor will switch for me."

FoZB June 14, 2017

"At the age of 29, I've developed anxiety and it's gotten progressively worse, with me ending up in the ER for what I thought was a panic attack. After evaluating me, the doctor confirmed I'd had a panic attack and had the nurse give me an Ativan. I came to to the ER in tears, unable to control my breathing, feeling suffocated, body tingling, nauseous, face numb, the whole 9 yards. After taking the Ativan, I was feeling completely back to normal within 15 minutes, I could not believe it! They gave me a short prescription for it until I can follow up with my health care provider and it really is such a miracle drug that really calms the anxiety, allows you to think clearly, and feel relaxed."

Miracle Drug! (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2017

"I took too much Ativan which gave me delusions and super depressive thoughts. Stay away from pharmaceutical drugs."

Chris Cornell (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2017

"I was prescribed this a few months ago getting anxiety while driving. The prescription is '0.5 mg once a day as needed." I have taken it about 3-5 times a week, a few times I have taken it twice a day. I have been having family issues recently, and I first thought that was the reason my occasional anxiety has progressed to debilitating (flying off the handle, depressive dying thoughts, chest pains) but after research I've concluded that I'm actually going through withdrawal when I don't take it everyday. Now it's 2:36 AM, I'm scared, mind won't shut off, don't know how to wean off of this properly. I'm tired, will be calling into work in the morning for lack of sleep. Please do not take this and just get counselling for your anxiety first"

Margo G May 4, 2017

"I am a nervous flyer and my anxiety has been getting particularly bad, so I decided to go to my family doc and get a prescription. My doc gave me ativan and said to take 1 mg 1 hour before the flight. I took 1 mg exactly as she told me and then another 0.5 mg midway through the flight.During the flight, I felt completely calm and at peace, which has never happened before. Highly recommend for infrequent fliers with anxiety"

Julie567 April 21, 2017

"Have been taking this for situational anxiety for many years. It worked to some degree but I would always feel depressed afterwards which was awful. Last year I used it daily up to 1.5mg while I was changing my anti-depressant. This was a huge mistake. I soon reached the tolerance and began to get rebound anxiety which started up every morning. I've been off of it for 10 weeks now and still suffering. This is really hard to come off of. My advise is don't take this more than once a week and that may be too much. My anxiety is so much worse because of lorazepam."

PaulMartin16 April 20, 2017

"Excellent medicine, I take it only as needed but beware, for me at least, massive and rapid weight gain has occurred on it, I was a consistent 130 pounds for the last 3 years, within a month of starting it I've gained 25 pounds. Which for me is great, I needed the weight gain, for others though, take caution in this. For me this drug has been phenomenal and I can take it once and feel good for days."

Tony1026 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

"This drug is the devil. The first few doses work like magic. After 1 week a hellish withdrawal starts kicking in about 2 hours after taking each dose. Impossible to ween off of without a doctor who's familiar with this highly addictive drug."

Gator44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017