User Reviews for Ativan to treat Anxiety

Ativan Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Ativan

"I had a health issue that started my panic attacks for two months. Started taking 1/2 Xanax and continued having panic attacks. After seeing the Dr. she gave me two 1 mg. of Ativan. In 15 minutes or so I was so calm and relaxed! Ativan really makes you very comfortable fast! I love that! Started on Zoloft for a long term fix. Now on 50 mgs a day. Wanting to get off both Ativan and Zoloft, I researched homeopathic options and found that L-theanine and Ashwagandha and Magnesium all have amazing reviews. So I’m going to try the combination of the three. Will be receiving the L-theanine and Magnesium today. I will update as soon as I see results! Hopefully will wean off of Zoloft and Ativan! God bless anyone who suffers!"

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2019

"With diagnosis of PTSD, anxiety, major/clinical depression, adult onset ADD with BPD on the side, ativan has been in my life for a while and I have never had a problem with it and its never negatively effected my life. It's maybe saved my life a few times."

Garnetred (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2019

"I was diagnosed with panic disorder at 8 years old, and when I was 13, the panic attacks became severe. My psychiatrist finally prescribed me 15 pills per month of 1 mg of Ativan. I’m now 18, and just went through a really hard time. I relapsed into severe anxiety, had to quit all my schooling. My panic attacks can last for hours, and this is the only thing that provides relief during those sleepless nights. If it weren’t for Ativan, I’d have gone to the hospital 30 times now. It is pretty easy to become dependent. I’m tapering off, went from 0.5 mg per day to 0.25 mg, to skipping days. The withdrawal symptoms are not terrible, but they’re definitely uncomfortable. I suffered vertigo, insomnia, and increased anxiety. Advice to anyone taking this medication: Never cut cold turkey. Although rare, it can cause seizures if you stop the medication suddenly. Also, it’s very easy to become dependent on it. Please be careful."

Hypochondriac Gal March 11, 2019

"I’ve been taking Lorazapam for about 15 years for sleeping. It works wonders. Six weeks ago I went through a very stressful time and my anxiety went through the roof. I hesitated for weeks about taking another 0.5 during the day because my fear of getting hooked on this. Finally gave in the other afternoon and I was my normal self that night and all next day. Then the following day I was back to being anxious. So disappointing because I had hoped something got jarred into place. I'll try cutting the day one in half and see if I can do that for a few days. I do like this drug."

Pumpel (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2019

"I have extremely bad anxiety that started at 8 years old when my essential tremor started. It’s a vicious cycle. Shaking causes anxiety, anxiety causes shaking to become more pronounced and it leaves me in constant fear. Anxiety became so bad recently that I had to go to the ER! I couldn’t even leave the house. Doctor gave me 1mg of Ativan within 30 minutes was calmer than I felt in months. It was SO hard to find a psychiatrist that would prescribe them but I did and now I take .5mg as needed but literally when needed!! I have 90 pills but have only needed 1. I force myself through the moderate anxiety as I am terrified of becoming addicted. (I DO NOT have an addictive personality though, never have) anyways I find these a absolute life saver and for some reason just knowing I have them on me calms my anxiety. I 100% recommend ONLY when needed in extreme cases!!! Force yourself through the moderate anxiety."

Bear (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2019

"Got on this after a nervous breakdown due to my mom nearly died and my job announced they were closing. I started having my heart skip beats which sent me spiralling into about two weeks of severe insomnia, depression, and panic. When I went to my doctor in tears he prescribed me Ativan. That night I finally slept.. and I kept taking 0.5mg for a week. I then began to improve so I began to taper to 0.25 mg and the second day on it I had withdrawal symptoms of a headache, panic, and nausea. The symptoms lasted 2 days and have finally subsided. I plan to taper again after another week. This medicine works wonders but you need to have an exit strategy fast."

Jim (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2018

"I've been on 0.5mg of ativan. This is my second day. It instantly started helping me overall in every way. But I get real tired, but thats OK. I'll deal with that. I've never been on a nerve medicine before. I simply love it. It has turned a light on in my brain. I feel great and can handle things so much better. Its great."

Emmy November 29, 2018

"Yes, it will stop panic attacks, but good luck coming off it. I was having severe anxiety after a bad spell of taking Lexapro, which made my anxiety worse and gave me constant panic attacks, so my doctor had me taking .5 mg three times a day. I was so grateful to have some relief that I didn't question the dose, but the more I read about dependence, the more nervous I became. I started tapering off it after only a month and I thought I was going to die. Hallucinating, insomnia where I didn't sleep for days, couldn't keep down solid food, crippling depression and agoraphobia...it was a nightmare and I was contemplating checking in to a hospital. I eventually transitioned to buspirone and eventually Pristiq. Such a nightmare. I can't recommend Ativan to anyone who may be sensitive to benzos."

EJK (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2018

"1st time sharing a story or review but I just think this is so important to talk about and let others know. My mother is only 60 years old and has been suffering from depression and anxiety and also panic attacks for about 15 years. 3 months ago my dad pass away so my mom had a breakdown and ever since has been crying complaining about pain on her chest....palpitations...suicidal thoughts. The antidepressant she is taking doesn't seem to help her at all. So we took her to the hospital because we don't know how to help her. No medication helps for her, only ativan is the medication that makes all the above go away ..but doctor doesn't want to prescribe it to her."

worried daughter October 27, 2018

"I am the 1% of people who take Ativan and suffer from extreme anxiety and paranoia. If you experience these symptoms you are NOT alone, but you should stop taking the medication (with help of a doctor) . Once I stopped taking it I felt so much better and was not paranoid or filled with anxiety."

K (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

"Ativan works for me. Diazepam does not."

Lindsay (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

"I was prescribed this to take prior to a MRI. I had been taking Klonopin for my anxiety which is more slow acting so thought I would try this. It immediately calmed me down before the MRI and I felt good after. I spoke with my PCP about trying this instead of Klonopin and she was ok with that at 1 mg twice a day as needed. The first week was fine and then during week two I was having a lot of panic attacks, chest tightness and insomnia. I suffer from MS so never sure what is MS related or anxiety caused problems. I have decided to go back to the Klonopin. It doesn't kick in as fast but lasts much longer and I feel much better on it."

Newk (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2018

"Great medication for anxiety! Helps me survive."

Nina August 29, 2018

"Terrible and dangerous. Muscle jerking, auditory hallucinations, jumpy all day. Even WORSE anxiety. If it is not life or death. Do not take!!!!"

Jasq (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2018

"I HIGHLY recommend this drug. It’s a miracle worker! I started having anxiety after my boyfriend and I broke up, I would cry at night and have panic attacks. I only take this drug when I need severe relief and I’m so thankful it’s available. Try it just once if you are having bad anxiety, if it’s not for you then switch. I was nervous trying this because I didn’t want to feel high when going on a benzo drug. You definitely don’t feel high you just feel tired and oddly “okay”!"

Brunette beauty! (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2018

"I have extreme anxiety, Ativan is fast working. Usually can feel it within 15 minutes, I do find that it's more of a crutch, a way to forget your problems instead of dealing with them. Don't drink alcohol with them. If I'm having an anxiety attack or a panic attack and it's been a week since I took one, they make me start to cry. I feel better afterwords, do these make anybody else cry?"

Boot (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

"I used to take Ativan for appointments & other anxiety-provoking situations. It would relieve anxiety for the dental appointments & ENT appointments but that was it. It never reduced my anxiety for blood tests or other appointments, despite the fact that I did not have any other drug given to me for the Dental or ENT appointments. It also worked for certain anxiety-provoking situations (such as public speaking) but only 50% of the time. However, I am epileptic & on anti-seizure medication. Despite the fact that I am on anti-seizure medication, I will always have a Simple-Partial Seizure 4 days after I last took it, even if it was only 0.5 mg (the highest dose I would have would be 2 mg). Because of this, I do not recommend this drug to anyone; I had taken it over a span of ten years (as needed & not even every month - I would go months without taking it) but after realizing that it was the cause of me having Simple-Partial Seizures 4 days after taking it, I won't ever take it again."

Sailor_Jupiter August 7, 2018

"Started taking Ativan when I was 18 years old due to a nervous breakdown. Doc prescribed it to me after experiencing a full-blown panic attack that didn't seem to subside. I felt immediate relief after months of experiencing depression and anxiety attacks. Over the years, I became dependent on it (I take 3-5 times a week) I never take it for more than two days in a row because of a bad reaction that I had like 13 years ago. Doc says I'm SUPER sensitive to meds. Because I take it so sparingly, I have not developed tolerance , but I am dependent on this medication for my agoraphobia and panic attacks. This drug allowed me to go outside and socialize, make new friends, and hold down a job. This job allowed me to live! I don't want to become dependent on it, so I started tapering. I take .25 once or twice a week. My goal to go off this drug completely and use it only for emergencies."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 13, 2018

"Was prescribed Ativan after some stressful/anxious times at work. Very effective. I take it as needed, usually 1mg every three days at night. Sleep like a baby and wake up the next morning energised and ready to start the day. Only worry is the possible addictive qualities. I also take small dose Cymbalta 30mg, each morning. Have been contemplating weaning off this and introducing Ativan every evening."

PT (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2018

"I’ve been taking .05 Ativan for 15 years . It’s a miracle drug for me . It keeps my mind more stable and calm . Keeps my anxiety under control as well . I sleep like a baby with this drug. I wake up refreshed every morning . I usually take one 0.5 after dinner every night . There are days I do fine without it, but I love knowing it’s in hands reach at all times . I highly recommend Ativan . Keep it a small dose and you will be fine ."

Hotmom70 July 10, 2018

"I used this after my anxiety got so bad that I constant horrible, racing thoughts. Many involving suicide and death. The first time I took it I felt like I grew wings, so relaxing. I started taking it every day because the calming effect was so comforting. I then started taking it at night - big mistake for me personally. I became addicted. If I didn’t take it for one night, I was awake for the entire night and became extremely paranoid. Had to see a Dr and admit to addiction, then was given very slow tapering off plan. Also made my hair fall out. Use with caution. Easily addictive."

Lauren92 June 25, 2018

"I took half of a ativan because I was nervous about taking it (I don't like taking pills, even advil). My boyfriend is in the hospital so I've had constant anxiety for 4 days. It felt like my heart was gonna come out my chest. I'm sure it'll continue till he's home. I felt my heart rate calm down within like 20 minutes. I feel a little better, still have sweaty hands and stuff but hey it's a start, can't expect to be cured on half a pill. "

Cuppycake (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

"I’ve been on 0.50mg Ativan for anxiety and insomnia for 10 plus years . It really calms me down and takes the edge off. I sleep through the night and wake up refreshed. I can’t imagine not having it on hand. There are weeks I go without it , but it’s nice to have it at hands reach . I recommend Ativan."

Burnertt May 31, 2018

"Have had depression and anxiety for most of my 65 years. I have been treated for depression and am now on bupropion 300mg/daily. It does not help with my anxiety which includes muscle stiffness and all over pain. After my husband died and left a bottle of Ativan, a script he had been on for years, I started taking 1mg in the morning and at night. I was amazed at the relief I received. I've used Ativan many times in the past but no doctor will give it to me on a long term basis sighting addiction. My husband took it daily for years. Why am I not able to get a long term prescription? Ativan is a lifesaver for me, eliminates the muscle stiffness and pain and gives me energy. Doctors need to understand that patients know what helps their issues and allow them the medication needed in order to have quality of life, which I don't have right now."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

"Helps with calming for panic attacks. Very fast and effective. Only side effect for me was drowsiness."

gemm53 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018