User Reviews for Ativan

Ativan Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Ativan to treat Anxiety

"Started taking Ativan when I was 18 years old due to a nervous breakdown. Doc prescribed it to me after experiencing a full-blown panic attack that didn't seem to subside. I felt immediate relief after months of experiencing depression and anxiety attacks. Over the years, I became dependent on it (I take 3-5 times a week) I never take it for more than two days in a row because of a bad reaction that I had like 13 years ago. Doc says I'm SUPER sensitive to meds. Because I take it so sparingly, I have not developed tolerance , but I am dependent on this medication for my agoraphobia and panic attacks. This drug allowed me to go outside and socialize, make new friends, and hold down a job. This job allowed me to live! I don't want to become dependent on it, so I started tapering. I take .25 once or twice a week. My goal to go off this drug completely and use it only for emergencies."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 13, 2018

"Was prescribed Ativan after some stressful/anxious times at work. Very effective. I take it as needed, usually 1mg every three days at night. Sleep like a baby and wake up the next morning energised and ready to start the day. Only worry is the possible addictive qualities. I also take small dose Cymbalta 30mg, each morning. Have been contemplating weaning off this and introducing Ativan every evening."

PT (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2018

"I’ve been taking .05 Ativan for 15 years . It’s a miracle drug for me . It keeps my mind more stable and calm . Keeps my anxiety under control as well . I sleep like a baby with this drug. I wake up refreshed every morning . I usually take one 0.5 after dinner every night . There are days I do fine without it, but I love knowing it’s in hands reach at all times . I highly recommend Ativan . Keep it a small dose and you will be fine ."

Hotmom70 July 10, 2018

"I used this after my anxiety got so bad that I constant horrible, racing thoughts. Many involving suicide and death. The first time I took it I felt like I grew wings, so relaxing. I started taking it every day because the calming effect was so comforting. I then started taking it at night - big mistake for me personally. I became addicted. If I didn’t take it for one night, I was awake for the entire night and became extremely paranoid. Had to see a Dr and admit to addiction, then was given very slow tapering off plan. Also made my hair fall out. Use with caution. Easily addictive."

Lauren92 June 25, 2018

"I took half of a ativan because I was nervous about taking it (I don't like taking pills, even advil). My boyfriend is in the hospital so I've had constant anxiety for 4 days. It felt like my heart was gonna come out my chest. I'm sure it'll continue till he's home. I felt my heart rate calm down within like 20 minutes. I feel a little better, still have sweaty hands and stuff but hey it's a start, can't expect to be cured on half a pill. "

Cuppycake (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

"I’ve been on 0.50mg Ativan for anxiety and insomnia for 10 plus years . It really calms me down and takes the edge off. I sleep through the night and wake up refreshed. I can’t imagine not having it on hand. There are weeks I go without it , but it’s nice to have it at hands reach . I recommend Ativan."

Burnertt May 31, 2018

"Have had depression and anxiety for most of my 65 years. I have been treated for depression and am now on bupropion 300mg/daily. It does not help with my anxiety which includes muscle stiffness and all over pain. After my husband died and left a bottle of Ativan, a script he had been on for years, I started taking 1mg in the morning and at night. I was amazed at the relief I received. I've used Ativan many times in the past but no doctor will give it to me on a long term basis sighting addiction. My husband took it daily for years. Why am I not able to get a long term prescription? Ativan is a lifesaver for me, eliminates the muscle stiffness and pain and gives me energy. Doctors need to understand that patients know what helps their issues and allow them the medication needed in order to have quality of life, which I don't have right now."

Kat (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

"Helps with calming for panic attacks. Very fast and effective. Only side effect for me was drowsiness."

gemm53 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

"This pill has been my safety net for my severe anxiety attacks, panic attacks and ADHD. I have been taking this pill off and on for 6 years and have never been addicted to it. I take 0.5 during the day and it actually makes me feel like myself and sometimes even gives me more energy this pill has been a true life saver"

Jasminefab (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 21, 2018

"This med was prescribed to me last year after my anxiety (& BPD) got really bad after steroid knee injections. At that time, I'd only needed 4-5 doses but was prescribed enough for 30, so I saved the rest for "emergency" situations (times like now). It seems to be helpful for the chronic anxiety & chronic insomnia I've been experiencing related to my various chronic pain conditions. Some negative things I've noticed with it are it makes my brain/pain fog worse, it increases/worsens some BPD symptoms & it makes my fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis knee pain worse. Otherwise, it's a pretty good medication."

Jillyn31 (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2018

"I recently developed panic attacks and anxiety , just thinking about anxiety makes you anxious.. at least for me. I was just prescribed 0.5 Ativan and 10 mg Lexapro for anxiety. I hope it works..I used to be on celexa but never really did much for me tbh. I'm hoping the withdrawals aren't bad."

Jmf41133 April 11, 2018

"Works well in reducing severe chronic anxiety. When you start treatment, request a system where you can skip the med at least 1-2 days a week. Intermittent dosing allows you to keep track of the underlying anxiety condition, and improves long-term efficacy. If you take the med without a break for years you can forget how unbearable chronic anxiety actually is, with intermittent dosing the benefits and drawbacks of being medicated vs unmedicated are very clear."

Pierrot (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2018

"I was in a traumatic car accident. I ended up with severe anxiety. I ended getting panic attacks also. Thought I was going to die. Never took any anxiety pills before this accident. Now I'm taking Lorazepam - Ativan this works great for me. Oh my goodness! I'm reading the reviews. Everyone is different. Some works for some and some won't. It's a 50/50 chance like any drug. It depends on the severity of your diagnosis and how well your body can adapt to it. All depends. I can tell you this. It works for me. For now. My mom took it for 15 yrs. She's 64yrs old. It works great for her. Anyone taking this should walk, exercise or so a hobby you like. Sauna always helps. Anything relaxing helps. It decreases your anxiety and remember counselling or going to a support group helps. "

Jazzy (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

"I would not survive without being able to take this drug."

Mental mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2018

"Prescribed by G.P. for anxiety 4mg. A day approximately 10 years ago, along with Zopiclone for 15 mg. for insomnia. I started to abuse both about 2 years ago. Sitting in a Treatment Centre for Drug Addicts, while I type this. Do not take Ativan or Zopiclone, easy to become addicted to both. Went through Hell detoxing and it took 19 days to get off the Ativan. There are better medications out there for you."

Diamond Lil (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2018

"Have taken ativan on and off ..more on than off for 24 years. I have quit it for life and having terrible withdrawal symptoms. Hot, cold, blurred vision memory loss. Please do take this medication."

Offativanforever (taken for 10 years or more) February 27, 2018

"I was prescribed ativan I mg every 4 to 6 hours approximately 6 years ago. This was given to me by my primary care physician as I was randomly shaking and feeling sick without provocation. I am so confused by this drug. You see the withdrawals are the same as the symptoms it was prescribed for. I fear I am addicted to it. I work everyday and am a functional person, could I be addicted to this med? I try to wean off but it doesn't work. I feel dizzy sick and shaky every time I try. This is an awful feeling. I wish I never needed it."

Worried (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2018

"OK OK Ativan does work, especially when you're having a full on attack in the psychiatrict unit. But just like everything else it does become addicting. Beware"

helenasadness February 21, 2018

"Be careful with this sneaky drug at first it works great but very quickly I mean within days it is highly addictive before you know it you’ll be using it daily and withdrawal syndrome associated with benzo’s is horrible. Use with caution"

Benzo no no February 13, 2018

"Helps for my insomnia better then it does for my anxiety. But I have Klonopin and Xanax for my many panic and forms of anxiety."

Worm321 (taken for 10 years or more) February 2, 2018

"I was prescribed Ativan for panic attacks due to anxiety, and it has worked wonderfully well. After trying many different antidepressants and seeing no results, my doctor prescribed me 1mg Ativan for use as needed. As soon as I feel a panic attack coming on, I take a tablet - within 10 minutes, I start to feel calm, safe and relaxed. It’s a tremendously useful “emergency stop” button for panic attacks. The idea of having a medication that can stop a panic attach should one come on allows me to feel safe and relaxed throughout the day."

Yikes-111 January 12, 2018

"Started taking Ativan a few weeks ago and have noticed a decrease in my anxiety. I can also sleep a bit better"

Frodofrodo baggins December 8, 2017

"Doctor prescribed ativan super willy-nilly because I've been dealing with panic attacks, and told me to take a 1mg tablet when I need to. Tried a 1mg tablet while panicking, and the effect is just unpleasant. I definitely feel that there are less 'voices' in my head; everything is much more quiet. But I'm also extremely drowsy.. so much so that I doubt I'd be able to take ativan at work (where my anxiety actually occurs). I'm also having strange muscle pains.. just feels like a really lame weed high. I won't try it again."

AmyAmyAmy November 22, 2017

"I have had various SSRI's and etc - nothing worked. Just gone on 2.5mg ativan and feel it has saved my life. Seems I had crippling anxiety without being aware of it, as no panic attacks etc. So there are some people with bad experiences, but do not generalise."

Hummingbird 17 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

"I had a nervous breakdown last year. Thought death was imminent and I would go to hell. My psychiatric CNP would not prescribe benzos. I was completely terrified, like a 2 month long panic attack. Went to the ER twice. They gave me ativan and I felt blissful relief. Right back to the terror the next day. I have a prescribing psychologist now who would give it to me if I needed it. But finally got prescribed clonazepam. It was okay but not nearly as good as the ativan. I used it for a while until the morbid dread subsided, had no rebound problems. Maybe if I took it for months on end I would. But nothing but benzos worked for me."

bpmabq (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017