User Reviews for Ativan to treat Anxiety

Ativan has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 285 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 77% of those users who reviewed Ativan reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Ativan Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

48% 138
2% 7
9% 25

Reviews for Ativan

Bohemian Guy · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2021

“Well, I got an intense anxiety attack at 2 am and somehow went through it that very unfortunate night . But the following morning I got my hands on Ativan and when the anxiety kicked in again I popped 1mg Ativan and it kicked in within an hour and gradually getting stronger. My heart rate slowed down which made me feel a lot better coz I thought I was gonna have a heart attack during my first anxiety attack . Made my mind more calmer and it put me off to sleep very peacefully only to wake up the next morning all fresh. I love Ativan coz it really helps me with my anxiety attacks . I have a racing thoughts issue and it solves it too .I have been on it for a month and I quit it cold turkey when I went back home but I didn't face any major withdrawal symptoms too. Thanks Ativan !”

Lerp · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2021

“It didn't work for anxiety at all. It didn't make me feel calm, but anxious. I felt nauseous, dizzy, itchy, and couldn't sleep. It literally did nothing but side effects.”

New here · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2020

“I’ve been on Ativan 0.5mg little over 1 mth and I don't like it. I’m in a constant fog and feel like my body is battling itself internally. I’m a zombie but can’t sleep, I feel like I took uppers and a tranquilizer at the same time. I have the body jerking side effect and when I tried to stop the meds I felt crazy. So I’m taking half and it was better for 2 days and now I’m in a fog again. I am not myself, I can’t function and work is nearly impossible. Helps anxiety but for me not worth it”

Jen · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2020

“This is a wonderful drug but should not be taken daily. I get ten pills per month. I take them when I have a bad bout of anxiety or insomnia etc. It resets me and stops the panic attack cascade that can happen from nights of insomnia. It parts the waves and allows me to pass through the difficulty. It can make you a little emotional after you stop if you take it a few days. I would not take it more than two or three consecutive days. It can be addictive. It can cause a little forgetfulness. For the most part I felt totally normal. It doesn’t have a weird affect it just takes away the gross fear. I’ve been taking .5-1mg several times per month for 5 years. I average 10 pills per month and have no issue stopping cold turkey. Benzos can be difficult to get off if you take them too frequently so beware.”

T19 · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2020

“Has anyone had very bad heartburn after using Ativan? I couldn’t even swallow because my throat burns so bad after taking this medication Thanks”

Honey bunny donuts · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2020

“I have been on Ativan 1mg for almost three years now and whenever I’m super angry, anxious, jumpy it works wonders. For the past week I’ve been crying uncontrollably because of certain things going on and when people don’t show me any concern or comfort me I get irrationally angry and even chased my little sister for showing no sympathy. I’m a 23 year old woman and she’s a 16 year old girl so she’s got her own problems. I immediately took an Ativan and within 20 minutes they kicked in perfectly. I didn’t have an urge to cry anymore, I felt calm and relaxed, And kind of high and had a rational thought process. This is what effects Ativan usually has on me and sometimes I feel goofy and laugh at the most random things. But regardless I ❤️ This drug and couldn’t ask for better. I’ve been on clonazepam that’s ok but not as good as Ativan and I’ve been on Xanax once at the hospital but that made me even more anxious and my muscles jerked. I love Ativan so much”

Mnich · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 5, 2020

“Has gotten me through many sleepless nights and panic attacks. I only take it if I absolutely need to, to help me at night time when my anxiety is at its worse and only a dose of 0.5 mg. It almost always makes me sleepy and helps me sleep and normally I don't feel to groggy the next day.”

Dallas720 · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 3, 2020

“I've been on this medication since 2018 and it works wonders for my anxiety. The first time I took it was when I was having an anxiety attack in the mall when it was really crowded. I usually take 1mg along with drinking juice, water or even soda never grapejuice. The effects kick in between 45 min and 2 hours and I feel extremely calm, happy, silly and even loopy. I wish the effects lasted longer than 8 hrs though but I still love this drug regardless”

Drugs · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2020

“Ativan does the job. But you do NOT want to go through the withdrawal. It's very bad. I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder to the point where I can't leave the house unless I really have to. And ativan makes it a lot easier to leave the house. The withdrawal makes your anxiety come back with vengeance. It's bad. For the short term it's great but long term you become addicted and physically dependent on it. And you build a tolerance so it doesn't help you as much as initially taking it. I love ativan and recommend it to anyone suffering from anxiety. Just make sure you wean off it or you will feel like a life becomes a nightmare.”

Jay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2020

“Safe and effective medication as long as you do not become dependent on it. PLEASE avoid getting hooked on this medication as it is a benzo and withdrawal from benzos can be deadly. Has helped me manage severe panic attacks due to anxiety, depression and ocd. I take 0.5 mg if I am having a severe panic attack and it immediately helps take the edge off.”

mitch December 14, 2019

“I literally took one dose of 1.5 mg's of lorazepam after being prescribed the drug for panic attacks and anxiety. It worked for the panic attack, but since that 1st dose I haven't slept in 3 days. Reflecting on it now I would have rather just gone through the full on panic attack. This drug is no joke”

Hs · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

“This is by far the scariest experience I have EVER had with a drug. Ativan immediately took the anxiety away but the after effects were horrible. I took it intermittently for 2 weeks and then noticed when I didn't take it consistently my anxiety was 100 percent worse. I was crawling out of my skin and so irritable. I also had uncontrollable muscle shaking and memory problems. This drug is very dangerous for some people. I'll stick to cognitive behavioral therapy.”

Miss K · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2019

“I had been having extreme anxiety and panic attacks for 4 or 5 days and didn’t feel like I could handle them on my own anymore. I went to the ER and they gave me Ativan to calm down. I’m not sure what the dosage was but it was in pill form. At that point I had been crying non stop for 3 hours as I was very scared and my heart was beating very fast. Within half an hour or so I could feel the medication working as it took the edge off of my anxiety. When I went home I immediately fell asleep and stayed asleep. I also hadn’t been sleeping well so that was a relief. It worked really well for me, but I only took it at the ER and haven’t taken it consecutively as a prescription. The only downside was I felt very groggy and foggy the next couple of days, but that could be attributed to exhaustion. Overall it really helped me a lot.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2019

“Ativan amplified anxiety so bad I could not stop vomiting.”

Jr · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2019

“I like Ativan better than valium but not xanax be careful on any benzodiazepines. They will mess with your brain up cause memory loss. I've been on them for 20 years. No way can I go off them now. I'm screwed. I tried twice and went insane. I kicked a 4 year opiate addiction with the help of suboxone and that was hard. Kicking benzos makes kicking opiates like candy. Trust me benzodiazepines are dangerous. My Dr never warned me of the addiction until I switched drugs. About 5 years in. Isn't that nice? I live with them they keep me calm. I have very bad anxiety but knowing what I know now I would have took a shot of vodka a couple times a day. I'm not a drinker but it beats the side effects of benzos. Moderation is the key.”

Star · Taken for 10 years or more October 7, 2019

“I've been taken Ativan since 2008 for the last five years I went up from 2 mg a day to 3mg I want to get off this drug because I feel my brain is cloudy. I went to my doctor and he gave me a schedule how to wean off but his schedule is not working for me I've been trying to wean off for the last 2 weeks and I finally got down to 2 mg today I feel a lot of anxiety and I had to take another half milligram the calm me down. Does anyone have any suggestions do I need to go to a hospital I have no family to help me ?”

Happy customer · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 21, 2019

“the doctor gave me Ativan for treating bad anxiety/panic attacks. I just take 1/2 of a 1mg pill when I’m experiencing a panic attack. (The doctor was very reluctant to prescribe it as it is a benzo) but in my opinion it is 100% better than the long term stuff which just completely messed up my moods and made me depressed which I never was before. I keep the Ativan with me and if I start to feel a bad attack coming on I have 1/2 a pill and am completely fine again within 15 mins. It’s been a life saver for me as my panic attacks would sometimes last days and I’d be throwing up, the whole deal. Ativan has really helped, I’ve only had to use it twice in six months, but just knowing it’s there if I need it is great. The only side effect I get is drowsiness but usually I take it at night anyway so it’s good. I also get a lot of relief from cognitive behavioral therapy like tapping and meditating.”

EE · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 15, 2019

“I absolutely hate it. I was given Ativan last summer when I was having a total mental break down. At first I waited and waited and felt absolutely nothing whatsoever, then I realized that it made me even more anxious and caused me to lash out at my parents. They ended up having to take me back to my house because they just couldn't deal with me. I decided to get some drinks at the bar and then at the cider house, and Thats When It Finally Started To Kick In. I was having a lot of trouble talking and had all these weird muscle jerks and having maybe convulsions.”

Nervis Jervis · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2019

“Do not hype yourself up about addiction, but do know certain people will be at risk more than others, high stress jobs (where people's lives are on the line), addictive personality, or using these to "solve" problems, should find other ways to cope. The .05 pills are gentle, they take the edge off. Things like alcohol, and opiates seem like they are WAY more addictive. I had to deal with my mom who had a high stress job and was HORRIBLY addicted to Xanax, almost died taking them. I refused to take benzos my whole life for that reason until I just recently needed them due to a miscarriage. Will only use them as needed (during PMS) I had absolutely NO withdrawals or odd sensations the next day after taking. Have seen what benzos do to some people. I am hoping that not to be me, nor do I get the withdrawals people say they get the next day. Everyone reacts to drugs differently. I cannot tolerate MJ, most other people can.”

Speced August 8, 2019

“Lost my husband suddenly right next to me of a stroke during the night. It was a shock. I have PTSD, anxiety, and depression. Use Ativan in tiny dose to sleep . Do wake up very drowsy and super sensitive to meds. Can be addictive but not for me. Calms me while grieving.”

Zion · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2019

“I’ve done research as I suffer from anxiety I had a doctor prescribe me Xanax and from all I’ve read online they are almost identical to each other. I would rate Xanax much Lower than Ativan. Ativan truly cures anxiety and all I need is 1 pill for 3 days and I feel normal and functioning. Xanax makes you feel drunk and wake up with an anxious “hangover”. Must be my genetic make up but I highly prefer Ativan just do not abuse it. You must respect this medication”

Inkaisua · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 25, 2019

“I’ve been taking Ativan on an off for the past 9 years. Started on 0.5 mg, moved up to 1 mg per day as needed. I’ve heard and read about addiction horror stories, but I’ve personally never had to up my dose (except going from 0.5 to 1 mg) and haven’t had the urge to take more than prescribed. I suffer from major depression and generalized anxiety disorder. Ativan helps my anxiety immensely. Especially useful for full-blown panic attacks - within half an hour I feel normal again. At first it made me sleepy, but as my body got used to it, that side effect went away. There was a time when I was having debilitating anxiety on a daily basis, and my pdoc advised me that I could take up to 4 mg per day. Thankfully, I haven’t had the need to take that much. Overall, Ativan is a great medicine. I could go days without taking it with no adverse effects (I.e. withdrawal). This medicine works well for me. Good luck!!”

PN78 · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2019

“This would be my 3rd time in 14 years of getting a weeks’ worth prescription of Ativan(0.5mg). I never seem to take them all. Does calm anxiety and with the low dosage. I don’t get drowsy or have any other side effects. I would suggest taking a pill only when necessary. I could see how this could become habit forming. Sometimes you just naturally need to fight through an anxiety episode.”

M · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

“I was put on a low dose of Ativan by my PCP one week ago for an unusual and isolated anxiety attack. He gave me a month supply (2x a day) plus 20 mg of Celexa for depression. Ativan makes me very very drowsy (definitely not anxious or depressed!) It's meant to have a calming effect on severely anxious individuals or help ease insomnia. I've read Ativan is prescribed to calm patients before surgery. I may have had it before surgery, but right now I believe it's unnecessary and overkill. I thought the Celexa was causing the fatigue!”

A~ · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

“Ativan is an amazing drug to take for sleep and for anxiety however proceed with caution if you struggle with depression and are not on other meds for depression. I started taking Ativan for insomnia and for anxiety but it unmasked depression for me and put me in a real dark place and all I did was cry before I would finally go to sleep. I slept amazing but like I said, it made me feel more depressed. :( So for that reason I had to stop taking it. But it is the best for sleep, I always woke up feeling super refreshed if I took Ativan the night before and it didn’t make me have any crazy dreams like some meds for sleep can do. Like I said, only side effects for me were worsening depression and sometimes upon wakening feeling confused. Other than that, I highly recommend Ativan ❤️”