User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"This medication is NOT for teenagers. My son was so depressed we could not get him out of his room for days on end. We eventually got convinced him that he needed help and agreed to start taking medications and spending more time out in the sun and exercise. All of this was painfully slow but I believe the medication did help him become more motivated to help himself. He agreed to give the medication 5 weeks. Week 6 my son started punching holes in walls and throwing things when he has never done anything like this before. Week 8 my son killed a little girl. A friend of the family. Now, he is facing 47 years without parole for something he did at 17 influenced by a medication I had asked him to try.This is in fact, LIFE w/o parole."

4Nurse3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

"I have been on this drug for about 10 years, I have tried to slowly come off of it, thinking Im ok but it was a disaster, dont let your pride effect your life! I was going through divorce, stress at work, and overall angry thoughts and depression. What it did for me was make the bad moments less extended, I still get stressed and have normal bad days but the lingering of these moments lessened. I never post this type of stuff, but I hope I can help someone, this med may have saved my marriage and my childrens upbringing!!! i did have to incrwase dose after a couple years though"

Chriswh September 1, 2016

"This pill cleared up so many of my mental and physical symptoms that it's difficult to list them all. Gone are the black-and-white thinking, the ceaseless pain of existing, the social anxiety, irrational and confused thoughts, inability to truly engage with the world, hopelessness, blank future, exhaustion no matter how much I sleep, procrastination, and psychic agony that only self-harm could alleviate. Not only can I hold an extended conversation with someone, I'm also able to appreciate this improvement in my life instead of feeling like it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, my libido is also gone. Since it was low to begin with, I don't miss it too much, but one day I'd like to know what having a libido is like. Wellbutrin, perhaps?"

Thanks Lexapro August 28, 2016

"I was prescribed this for anxiety and depression. In total, I took it for 6 weeks before coming off cold turkey on doctor's orders due to side-effects. The first 2 weeks I just had mild nausea and headaches. By the second week I started feeling a deep tiredness. I would sleep for about 16 hours a day. The need to sleep so much faded by end of week 3 but the deep tiredness never went away. I also had swelling and red lumps form under my left eye around this time. Week 4 brought insomnia and week 5 brought the rash on my legs. By the end of week 6, I had 360 degrees rash on legs that burned and bleed with lumps filled with puss. The pain was continuous and severe. Hence, off meds. Took two weeks for rash to fade to where it doesn't hurt."

GaveItAShot August 23, 2016

"It simply worked. I couldn't sleep, had serious GI problems and developed depression over a period of months. Less pro helped pick me up at low dose in a few months. Was off in a year and probably could have been sooner."

Learnet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

"Lexapro made me feel normal again. I was severely depressed and so scared I would never feel normal again. I started at 5mg and worked up to 15mg over a few months. At three months I felt like me again. It was a roller coaster getting there with good days and down days where I never thought I would feel like me again. But the three month mark I feel great! I promised myself that when I felt good again, I would share my experience. Hang in there, you will feel good again just give it time. And when you have a down moment, think of happy times and remember you will get better. Side effects initially was yawning a lot. I can finally sleep again and I gained my weight back because I actually want to eat again. Life is good now. Thank you lex!"

Finallyfeelinggood (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"I started taking Lexapro about 7 weeks ago after an extremely traumatic unexpected loss of my long term boyfriend who i lived with. I was not functioning or able to deal with life before I got on Lexapro. I couldn't stop overwhelming thoughts, anxiety, crying. I couldn't face life. Lexapro has helped me begin the process of healing In a healthy way and resume life. I don't feel any different other than I have rational thoughts and I am in control of my emotions. I know I would not be moving forward in a positive manner of it wasn't for this medication. The change was like day and night and I am thankful."

Hla1121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

"After taking Citalopram for over 12 years I started suffering from sivere anxiety side-effects. My GP suggested that we try Effexor. After 3 months on Effexor, my anxiety was no better and I had one little trip to the ER and a short stay in hospital with another failed suicide attempt. I was in a really bad place, at the end of my wits. My pharmacist had a chat with me. He said that seeing as I had responded so well to the Citalopram initially, it might be worth trying es-citalopram/Lexapro. I talked to me Dr. and he agreed. Things have been a lot better since. I don't need any anxiety medication at the moment and most of my other symptoms are a lot more manageable. It is not a cure, but it makes the symptoms bearable."

rialistic July 9, 2016

"I was prescribed Lexapro 5 mg for perimenopausal rages and major depressive disorder. Considering this is my first anti-depressant, I cautiously started with half a tablet (2.5mg). The side effects were horrible: severe dizziness, headaches, nausea, and confusion. I could not function at work. Overtime, my depression, angry outbursts, rumination worsened and started to affect my interaction with coworkers. I decided to give Lexapro another try and start with 1/4 of a tablet (1.25 mg). I took the Lexapro at bedtime, and in the morning, I was the happiest I've been in months, no anxiety, no negative repetitive thoughts. This is a strong drug. My recommendation is to start slowly to avoid severe side effects and then increase if needed"

Anonymous July 9, 2016

"I have just been on Lexapro about a week, I was taking it at night, but was having wild vivid dreams, so started taking it in the day. I can tell there is a bit of improvement, but I still feel a bit of fear and anxiety and depression but it fluctuates. I think once I get enough in my system it will work. Tired of being negative about everything. It's time to get happy again...God Bless."

robertestokley (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

"I was prescribed this drug for major depression and C-PTSD. I only took it for one week, 5mg. It was awful. I was exhausted all of the time, had trouble falling asleep and my sleep was disturbed by very vivid and bizarre dreams. I woke up every morning shaking, dizzy and disoriented. During the day my legs hurt so bad it made walking difficult. It made me so hungry, craving carbs, I gained 9lbs of belly fat in one week! It left me with zero motivation and unable to feel any joy, excitement, pleasure. I felt detached, empty, I felt dead. I stopped taking it and while i'm still struggling with depression I do feel like me again, I feel alive and have lost all of the weight gained while taking it."

NoOne2 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

"So far, I've only been on Lexapro for two days. I am finding that it is helping very much with my negative outlook on life, my mood swings, and my panic attacks/emotional fits. I find that little things like someone cutting me off or dropping something don't frustrate me as much or make me want to scream. I find that my voice is calmer and that I can have mature conversations with my partner without getting worked up. I have a better perspective on life already. I was on zoloft before and it did not do anything for me at all. It's so refreshing to see a change and I can't wait to see what else Lexapro does for me! Negative side effects I've experienced: headaches, stomach upset, dizziness. These are supposed to go away within a week."

Gooberella June 24, 2016

"Didn't find it any good. Put on weight and twitched a lot and got the headaches."

Claire 00 June 24, 2016

"I cannot even begin to explain how much this medicine has helped me with my depression/anxiety! The only thing I regret is being stubborn and not take it 3 years earlier! "

KFle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

"I've been taking 10mgs for about 8 months. About a month ago I went through some tough times that sent me to the mental hospital. After I got out I told the psych to cut the Lexapro because it was making me fat and it didn't keep me from going to the hospital. Within a week of starting it I felt overwhelming sadness that progressed to the point that I couldn't get out of bed and I would draw the blinds in the day and just sob. My psych is on vacation right now but I couldn't take the sadness anymore so I restarted my Lexapro and within 2 days I was feeling so much better. I'm grateful for it now."

Bunnygirloutfit34 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2016

"I have been on 10mg. of Lexapro for about 4 weeks. I think in the first few weeks it made my depression worse. I began to have very crazy scary thoughts. I held on, now I am just sort of o.k., I am having a few hours a day of feeling a lot of relief, but still the morning is a down hill slope. I am going to give it a few more weeks. My anxiety has gotten a bit better."

Byrdy (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

"I had terrible anxiety and the beginnings of depression. I'd had bouts of depression throughout my life, and in October 2015 it became seriously challenging and I felt unable to cope. For the first time I asked my doctor for help and he suggested counseling with a psychologist and he also prescribed 10 mg of Lexapro (generic). For the first 3 weeks I had terrible diarrhea (which oddly at the time I did not associate with the Lexapro), and night sweats. I stuck with it, my doctor increased the dose to 15 mg and a couple weeks later to 20 mg. It then was reduced back to 10 mg in February and I've been taking 10 mg per day since then (now it's May 30th). This medicine has helped me so much! It let me "feel clearly" and changed my life."

DaveSaun May 31, 2016

"I went on Lexapro for depression and anxiety. I noticed that generally it relieved my anxiety symptoms, but had some bad side effects for me. Most troubling was the weight gain. I've always been quite slim, but while on Lexapro I gained about 30 pounds, so that was very distressing for me. Also, if I forgot to take my medication I'd get terrible migraines. I'm now transitioning off of this medication because of the weight gain. I've already started to see a difference and lost a couple of pounds (with healthy eating and regular exercise). Overall, this med was good for my anxiety, but meh for everything else."

Good for anxiety, but... (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 27, 2016

"For me personally, I hated Lexpro. It made me a shell of the person I used to be and like others have described, a walking zombie. I couldn't connect with my emotions whatsoever. There are much better SSRI's available!"

finners (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

"I am taking 20 MG and it has completely taken away my anxiety. I do not like the sexual side effects but its much better then getting panic attacks. Highly recommend this drug for anyone who has GAD."

NoMoreAnxiety May 16, 2016

"Overall, for me, Lexapro was very destructive. I was on it for about three months and in that time my depression worsened, but that's not necessarily the worst part. The debilitating panic attacks that put me in the hospital was the worst part. After cutting the dose from 10 mg to 5 mg and not seeing any difference, I discontinued it. Bad depression, bad anxiety, bad drug overall; at least for me anyway."

elliottgroce (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

"I felt a positive difference within the first week. I also have generalized anxiety and it seems to have helped with it as well. Due to my epilepsy, I take the highest dosage that I can, which is 10mg. I feel better but I think 20 would work great."

koffepot (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

"I have taken Lexapro for 10 years. I had severe depression/anxiety and was put on Lexapro and xanax-(initially). If I skipped or I didn't take my Lexapro on time, I would have a bad bought of anxiety within a day. Too much or double up, and my brain was on fire and severe anxiety. But, it has been a life saver. I am totally myself with no weird thoughts or dreams and am happy! Your body will let you know when you should lower your dosage, but that will take a while, like years (headaches were my symptoms). Note for women, I still felt off right before my period. My doctor added the mini pill for the estrogen and now I am 100% all month. P.S. watch some of the generics, some have bad side effects!!!!"

jhappy! April 20, 2016

"I personally didn't like this medication. The first intake had me feeling like a walking zombie. It made me deaf and nauseous."

nishiiiiiiie April 15, 2016

"So I absolutely adore my lexapro I'm the happiest I have been in years. I literally cannot function without it. I had went off of it for about a month however due to insurance issues and I went insane. Like literally. Hysterical crying episodes I left my husband. So be prepared to never ever skip it. (i am back with my husband,btw when I got my mind back)"

Yasss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016