User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"30. Male. I was completely lethargic and I had pretty bad anxiety. I always stressed about job assignments at work and rarely ever wanted to leave my room at home. I had no energy and I frequently called into work. I thought I had low testosterone so I had some bloodwork done, my doctor prescribed me lexapro 10mg in the meantime and I felt my anxiety and depression just disappear. I remember the moment I knew the medication was working when I was sitting on my porch feeling glad to be alive for once, enjoying the weather and just smiling. I feel like my old self before the crazy depression. Yawning and diarrhea is annoying. But I'll take that to enjoy little pleasures in life again."

Theaudiowar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've experienced major depression along with high anxiety. Lexapro has been FANTASTIC for me in helping to get rid of my depression AND helping my anxiety significantly. I've tried Prozac, and compared to the two Lexapro has given me much less side effects, has not interacted with other drugs I take, works faster, and has given me my life back. Overall, I think anyone who is suffering with depression, but also has high anxiety can definitely benefit from this drug. It's been great for me and I think it's worth a shot for anyone who isn't having much luck with other SSRIs."

deagle415 March 12, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My anxiety and depression really bogged me down and made me bound to my bed until I started taking lexapro. Honestly the first 1-3 weeks the side effects are very rough as your brain has to get accustomed to the changing of chemicals. I had blurry vision, dizziness, sweating issues and felt weird, but I stuck to it and eventually started waking up earlier than ever which was uncharacteristic and started enjoying life. This drug is great and makes me want to major in Psych. Recommend"

Brando33555 March 6, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on lexapro for about 2 weeks. The first few days I felt amazing. I just got a kick of energy and happiness. It felt great. Soon after that I was majorly depressed again and back to my suicidal thoughts. Everything that goes along with depression. Hopefully it begins working soon."

Gerxcxsline March 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking lexapro for anxiety and depression. My anxiety was so bad at times, I felt like I was having mini panic attacks. The worst part of my day was the thought of waking up and having to go to work. I have 3 children and felt like I couldn't take care of them, thank god for my family. Besides the occasional Advil for a headache, I do not take any other medications and didn't really like the idea of being on this type of medication. BUT, you know what? I have a family, friends, a career, and house, so if I have to take a little pill to feel better, then so be it. I'm just glad I don't have to suffer and there is help out there."

Beach bunny82 March 3, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lexapro is great. I take it along with Lamictol for bipolar treatment. Although overall stable, I am subject to bouts of depression and found that Lexapro increases enhances mood lessens the severity and length of depression. I take 15 mg/day; will go to manic at 20mg/day"

Velveteen Rabbit (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on Lexapro 10 mg for six weeks. I was really nervous to start, because I have never taken any type of medication before. The first few weeks I did have side effects (including, nausea, dry mouth, and a kind of out of it feeling). It worried me but I stuck it out to four weeks, because all of my medical friends insisted that I do. I am so glad that I did! I feel so at ease about everything that used to control my mind excessively. I am so much more bubbly and comfortable with conversations with others. It really just took that edge off for me. All of the side effects have gone away. I strongly recommend."

fattah February 24, 2017

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on 10mg of lexapro for a little over a month now. My depression like I've said before has lifted. I do have some spells here & there. My anxiety is still an issue just not as bad as it was. However I did start getting jittery/shaky. I'm not sure what that could be caused from!? I do take clonezapam when I start to feel those symptoms coming on. But I'm trying to not depend on it. I'm not sure if my dose of the lexapro needs to go up, I really don't want to go up. I'm hoping I can go off this medication by summer time."

Crazybaby February 11, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been on Lexapro 20mg for years and was tired of the weight gain and thought I was okay enough to be off of it. Weaned myself off of it over a long time and went through all of the brain zaps, confusion, exhaustion, etc. But, finally I was off it. I was starting to get depressed again and not very clear thoughts but I thought I could handle it. Then, I got the flu and was on Tamiflu (never again) and all of the depression and anxiety raised its ugly head again. Could not shake it. The horrible thoughts, depression, hopelessness, insomnia, etc. I started a week ago back on Lexapro 5mg and already feel much better. I am starting to get more tired during the day but I do not care. I may bump up to 10mg. If you need it, you need it."

sas63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder, and took Lexapro for a few years for my depression. At first in helped, but then it stopped working. I am now on Cymbalta."

BipolarGirl31 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Today was my first day and I feel amazing. Life is on the right track. I feel free from bondage. Small things don't matter anymore. I love the new me"

Wow87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on lexapro for almost a week... I've been through hell within these past few months with trying to get help. Finally got in with a new dr. & My dr. prescribed me lexapro & adderal. The lexapro I take at night, because it makes me tired. It has eased up my depression. However I have an upset stomach all the time now. But my anxiety is bad again. Uncontrollable crying episodes are back. Not sure if it's the adderal making me anxious... but it's hell. My clozapine isn't even working anymore like it was. That medication made me feel normal. Now it's not working. I was told lexapro would help my anxiety, & it hasn't."

Blue star January 16, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on it about 2weeks don't feel any better"

Ellabow (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on lex for almost a month and so far my side effects have been minimal. The first week, although I didn't have anxiety problems, it seemed to spark a few anxiety episodes. Nothing major. I started with 10mg and today is my first day of 20mgs. I'm a little worried about side effects. I'm still having a problem wanting to get out of bed. I just feel like I have no energy to do anything and I hate this feeling hence the increase to 20mgs. I'm going to stick with it because although I'm still struggling with the lack of energy, is helped at least put a few smiles back on my face here and there. All I know is I want to get better, I have to get better! Good luck everyone I'll check back in 3 or 4 wks & give a complete update."

Life will get better... (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Lexapro 3 years ago to treat depression & Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. The first 2 months were standard. Adjusting and getting the dose right. I ended up on 20mg. After the initial adjustment, I experienced panic attacks, which came frequently, worsening anxiety - over 3 years, gained 12kg. It in no way helped PMDD. I weened myself from 20mg down to 5mg over 6 months which was HELL then stayed on 5mg for another 12 months. I have since had my ovaries removed and a total hysterectomy to get rid of PMDD. Now 4 weeks ago, I stopped the 5mg, cold turkey, as the tapering was so bad. Lexapro took so much of my life, and coming off is the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm still withdrawing after 4 weeks. it's been a nightmare!"

Shayro January 4, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety, I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg at first. Taking 25mg for a week, and slowly increasing to 50 mg, then 100mg. It was horrible. The first two weeks I ended up restless and could not sleep, I was also shivering and tense during the day. I was then prescribed Lexapro, which helped me get back to my normal sleeping schedule. It did help with my anxiety more, but it did not do much for my depression. My constant hopelessness went away, but I didn't really find the will to commit to goals, motivate myself, and just become more content. I'm really just feeling like I'm in the middle. It's been more than 7 weeks now on Lexapro and I might look to change to something different."

laurar1993 January 2, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My rheumatologist put me on Lexapro for both depression & fibromyalgia, after Cymbalta stopped working for me. I started it two weeks ago Tuesday & I absolutely love what it's doing for my depression & anxiety but hate that it's caused me to gain at least 5 lbs already. I'm going to try to stick with it for another 4-6 wks, but if my weight continues to increase, I'll have to wean off of it. I dread weaning off of antidepressants."

J'erin31 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After the death of one of my relative,my whole world changed. I thought it was due to my emotional nature. I started having panic attacks, lack of interest, unusual feeling of fear, lack of appetite, was not able to look after myself or my family. I thought that I was going to die.I t was all unbearable. But believe me lexapro is really great .After 8 weeks, I started feeling my normal self. Mild side effects: yawning, tiredness. But it may be due to my illness rather than the medicine effect. After taking this medicine, I got my strength back. It has saved my life. Just give it a try and hang on there for at least 2 months. It can really save your life too."

Got my life back (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have only been taking Lexapro for about 3-4 weeks but it seems to work for me so far. I started this medicine due to very bad panic attacks and depression. I have only had one very minor panic attack since and it was within the first few days of taking it. I find it a lot easier to calm myself down now and my panic attacks don't spiral. I used to have crying episodes that would last hours and I have not cried once since I started Lexapro. Side effects- I have had some headaches and muscle tension and I can feel quite dizzy and foggy sometimes but as long as it keeps my panic attacks away I really don't mind. I felt nauseous the first few days but it went away quickly."

So far so good... December 12, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have taken lexapro on and off for about 20 years. My advise is give it a go. First 3 weeks the side effects made life pretty miserable. Insomnia, nausea, no appetite or sex drive. After week 4 started feeling really good (normal) and enjoying life again."

T4 December 5, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Made me feel like a zombie..Foggy feeling in head. Not good for the sex life. Sleepy all day long; couldn't get out of bed. I woke up just to eat and went back to bed. Stopped after 6 weeks.; switched to Wellbutrin with good results."

JJ - male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is a great drug. I had battled depression my entire adult life and after a year of completely changing my diet, supplements, routine and seeing several counsellors I finally gave this a try. IT CHANGED MY LIFE. I can't believe I waited so long. I used to spin in a tizzy over things. I now realize I have control and stay calm. Unfortunately I experienced many side effects with Lexapro. I had nausea in the beginning, shortness of breath and fatigue. I did not gain weight, which I was grateful for. Ultimately I switched to Prozac because this made me too tired, but I would recommend this over Prozac for most people because it supposedly has less side effects (though not for me)."

ZisserZasserZooz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with PTSD,GAD and MD .My life was falling apart.I had dark thought ,wasn't cleaning my house , completely let myself go , No patience with my kids and a negative outlook on life .my anxiety was So bad I was taking Xanax to cope . lexapro has been a life saver for me 6 weeks later I'm back to my " normal self " I'm very productive , positive , I take care of my house , myself ... it will not make you happy or " high " but make life so much more enjoyable and easier . I'm at 20 mg of lexapro a day ! And I thank god for it ... I'm 10 lbs down . SSRI work different for everyone but if 2 month ago told me my life would change for the better I would have never believed it ! Give it a try ! We are all SURVIVORS! Good luck !"

Depressed mom in remission December 1, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on it for a few months started feeling better slept a little more then usual my doctor just recently upped me to 20mg having insomnia difficulties now but hopefully will go away after a few weeks like the sleepiness did. Other then that i love it I feel so much better"

Kathleen9007 November 26, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Effexor XR before and was off it for a few years. Life got tough again and new dr put me on 10 mg lexapro. After a week, I can see light at the end of the tunnel and it might not be a freight train! After months of not being able to get back to sleep when I wake in the middle of the night, I'm now sleeping much better. Fuzzy thinking and digestive upset for a few days. I don't have much of an appetite, but that is really a good thing! I feel a little more focused too. I can feel my mental energy returning. So far so good."

Lxuser (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016