User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"I have used Lexapro for approximately. 8 years. I can't say that the drug is an effective antidepressant but it does modulate mood swings and generally improves my sense of well being."

Barry (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2018

"I had my anxiety & panic attacks under control for 8 yrs thanks to CBT. But I became depressed so I decided to try 5mg Lexapro. 1st week I felt apathetic & lethargic. The 2nd week I had anxiety, panic attacks, hypomania, extreme fidgetiness, internal vibrations, strange cold sensations & a fast heart rate. I tried to stick it out, but after 3.5 wks the symptoms became unbearable. After stopping, it has taken a month for my body to begin to feel normal again. After seeing multiple psychs, I believe I experieneced SSRI-induced “activation syndrome.” A genetic test later advised me to not take SSRI’s b/c I may have an “adverse reaction.” My prescribing doc did not recognize the activation syndrome but instead thought my symptoms pointed to Bipolar II & ADHD (untrue). These drugs are still experimental & docs aren’t always aware of side effects. I did notice increased positive thinking & motivation on Lexapro, but with the awful side effects it just wasn’t worth continuing."

rainbowbrite9 May 14, 2018

"Six months on escitalopram. The first 6 weeks were really hard. Insomnia, anxiety, aches, disturbing dreams, intrusive thoughts, flu-like symptoms, stomach issues, tremors, tingling, and extreme fatigue. The symptoms did ease up some after six weeks, but never went away. They were manageable though. About 2 months ago, the symptoms increased like the drug gave out. Two weeks ago, the symptoms kicked into high gear. Horrible fatigue that can't be rested away. Insomnia is back with a vengeance. Flu-like symptoms too that make you feel awful. And the anxiety! I could crawl out of my skin right now. It hasn't eased up either. Like flipping a switch, I just started feeling bad almost in an instant. The doc decided it was the escitalopram and are weaning me off. If I can get past this, I'll never touch it again. I was on Zoloft for years prior and it worked great but you can't take it with Tamoxifen. I know escitalopram is rated well by most people, but I can't tolerate it."

CSA1861 May 2, 2018

"Total poison this should be banned this med literally poisoned me, never had such a bad experience from any other antidepressant med as bad as this in my entire life. I have tried all the others before, but side effects were unbearable, but never felt as bad as this awful poison. The worst bit was the fever at night times and terrifying nightmares . Please do not take this rubbish med"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

"I found if I took it too late at night/too early in the morning I was very groggy and constantly yawning! After three weeks of trial and error I figured the best time (for me) was to take it at around 8pm at night. I feel incredible now and I have only been taking this drug for a month. Not 1 panic attack all month. The nightmares have stopped, yet I do have much more vivid dreams which is also odd for me. I'm far more relaxed about leaving the house. I haven't had any alcohol while on this drug. With regard to "Weight changes" listed in the side effects leaflet, I only found that I lost my appetite for the first two weeks, I was struggling to get my weight back up, but my appetite has returned. After being so anti-anti-depressants I'm regretting not having taken this drug 10 years ago! I have had a great experience so far =)"

DC April 26, 2018

"Fantastic medication for Depression. Usually 20mg but I'm on 30mg since recovering from 2nd major depression. NOTE: Beware of the GENERIC especially by Mylan Escitalopram 10mg Mylan NDC 0378-3856-77 it was totally ineffective for myself back in 2012 and some others I know in 2018 - literally like a placebo you might have to take generic due to insurance but if you worsen have your doctor justify you need the BRAND LEXAPRO"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

"I was prescribed Lexapro for PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. Was on it very briefly for me to realize I needed to be off it like yesterday! Made me dissociate and have flashbacks very vividly and violently in my head for long durations of time. Also started seeing flashing lights while I was on it. A big NO GO!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"I cannot even put into words the new life lexapro has given me. I refer ages 13-20 years as the “grey period” at first thought it was me going thru puberty & the changes in my hormones affected my mood. Fast forward to age 20, I had a complete mental breakdown. I was completely against antidepressants. I always thought I could cure myself without a pill- I would have periods of a few months of normalness, but then the depression & grey period always crept back up. That caused me to finally reach out to a doctor. After 2 months, I felt so much lighter. Fast forward to age 21 & I am a completely different person. My outlook for life & the way I process things, I feel a sense of a clearer, brighter, world full of possibilities. It sounds so cheesy- but life feels like it should feel, finally. (FYI- mental health issues run heavily in my family of both my father & mothers side. This is a chemical imbalance that was inherited, not created. I am learning this recently.)"

Hannah April 22, 2018

"I hope my experience can help you make the right decision. I took Cipralex for 8 Years, and originally got on it, after experiencing anxiety/panic attacks. Also, I felt a little down on myself being in University and having self esteem issues. I started off at 10MG's, and moved up to 20 MG's. This drug actually made me less self conscious, and more outgoing. However, it would make me feel 'slightly' manic, in the sense I would talk non-stop if the opportunity presented it self. It doesn't mix well with Alcohol, (nor the day's after, WOW). I would say this medication is okay. It works better for depression. Be mindful about what you seek out of it For Anxiety, not so much. It is okay.... Personally, I am looking for a medication that moderates and keeps depression AND anxiety in check. So I will be looking elsewhere. Not to mention, Cipralex is overpriced vs its generic competitors. I can't handle the generic one either."

hmaqsood (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2018

"I cannot express strongly enough how much Lexapro has turned my life around. I have suffered from bad depression since my teens (I’m now 29) and also anxiety. I’ve had therapy for years which was helpful but never managed to get the depression under control. I was beginning to think I’d never shake it. My GP convinced me to start taking 5mg Lexapro 3 months ago and within days I found I FINALLY had some reprieve from the constant feeling of despair I used to sink into. I have not felt the need to increase my dose yet - and the only major side effect was extreme lethargy for the first month. I am content for the first time in years. I feel like this drug has made me who I really am without the weight of depression - and the tools given to me in therapy now have a chance to be applied now I’m not being hijacked by my emotions. I truly hope it has the same effect for anyone else reading this, or at least gives hope that there may be a drug out there that will work for you."

CelFro April 10, 2018

"Because I’m a teenager I started off on 5 mg then when I wasn’t sure if it was working or doing anything I went up to 10 and after realizing nothing has changed I moved up to 15. It might just be me not responding to the medication but I feel like I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy with this medication which I was originally excited to go on. If I forgot to take it for a day I see no difference (not sure if I should but just in case) I’m glad it’s helping other people but it doesn’t help and causes a lot more stress in my life that I don’t need. Fortunately I talked to my doctor today and I’m going to start to reduce my way off the meds (which I don’t really even think I need to do because they don’t do anything)"

Nugget March 28, 2018

"I have been taking Lexapro 10mg for six months now. I did not really think I had depression and thought that I was struggling greatly with anxiety. Now that I am experiencing the difference I realize I was suffering from depression . It was a rough start at first. I found myself crying and honestly feeling worse. The first glimpse of it working came in around six weeks. I was scared to believe it. These days I have a happier base level. I do not feel overly happy or out of touch with my emotions. Actually have the ability to feel all of my emotions and not try to run from them. I still struggle with some loop thinking but it is not as bad as it was. Overall I am so incredibly grateful for this drug in my life. I coupled it with talk therapy and that made a huge difference to have someone tracking my progress and being a sounding board as I transitioned through the side affects. I hope to be able to quit someday but that will not be anytime soon as my quality of life is so much better."

Ana March 20, 2018

"After a series of deaths I slipped into depression to the point that I didn’t remember what it was like to feel normal. Basic chores became an overwhelming nightmare. I was constantly thinking about death & cried at the drop of a hat. A year of therapy didn’t help. All I aspired to do was lie in bed. I used to have hobbies but depression robbed me of initiative. I started Lexapro 10 mg & felt a difference within a day. The first week I would wake up feeling hyperactive (I take it at 7 PM and would wake up at 2 am). That went away. I am shocked at how quickly I fall asleep now! I used to toss and turn for an hour trying to shut my brain off. I now fall asleep in 20 min & wake up feeling good. I no longer ruminate or let thoughts spiral out of control. I laugh & even go grocery shopping which before was too exhausting. I have energy and when I want to do something, I do it! I am so grateful for Lexapro. I didn’t know how much I was suffering, or how much my life was passing me by."

"Was suffering from depression. I started taking 10mg of Lexapro 2 months ago & now I have major anxiety & panic attack’s 24/7. Also feeling very foggy minded and not to mention the 20 lb weight gain!!. I do not like Lexapro one bit."

DeniseH (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

"I am very concerned since going on lexapro I have developed restless leg syndrome (RLS) at 65 years of age I am exhausted from lack of sleep and never experience this before."

Anonymous February 10, 2018

"This medicine is the best. Cured me of depression with GAD, insomnia and OCD tendencies. First week or two were killers, definitely hard to get used to but started on 5mg at night on a Friday so I had 2 days to adjust a little. Now on 10mg for the past 2yrs. Just so much more balanced. I have sad, down or frustrating days but that shows that it still allows for normal range of emotions. In general it makes me calm, less reactive, smile and sing like I used to. Saved my relationship and helped me be more productive at work. Cured my insomnia. Oh sleep how I missed you!"

Ally 32 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2018

"I started on lexapro 1 month ago and within the first few days I felt that my mood was stable. I started on lexapro because I felt sad all the time. I am on 5mg and I have just finished my first month. Week 2.5 I was out and I had my very first full blown panic attack. I have never had this before. After a few hours in the emergency unit at hospital they said they couldn’t tell whether the lexapro had started to work or the huge adrenaline state I had been in for some time had come crashing down and as a result I had my first major panic attack. The week following I am still experiencing small attacks. My mood is stable and hoping that the panic attack won’t happen again."

Pmr-74 January 22, 2018

"For 8 years I had depression which I did not realise I have. Tired after wake up, low motivated, lazy, cry for nothing, stressed easily, gained weight, low libido, insomnia, no social contacts etc. Until I asked help to doctor. I started with 10 mg for 1.5 month and from today 15mg. I am very happy now as I see hudge improvment - tiredness is gone, I can not cry actualy anymore (just can not), I engoy cleaning and organising home, playing with children, I am patient to children mistakes and loudness now again, motivated to improve life, social contacts are pleassure. First 3 weeks was awfull - felt sick, panic, depression, worthless, insomnia but now after 1,5 month I feel back in my skin! Happy. Libido is back again."

Jane77777777853 January 15, 2018

"This stuff helped me tremendously. I never realized just how bad my depression was until I started taking Lexapro and felt so much better. I actually have the DESIRE to do things, even schoolwork. I no longer have this sense of dread when I wake up in the morning, and I actually enjoy being around people more. I've even received compliments from family about my mood and how much better I am. Only regret is not seeing a doc to start this earlier."

Annie917 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2017

"In the beginning, Lexapro seemed to work for me. My depressive moods seemed to not be as bad, and I was actually happy for a change. Then around October 2017, I entered perhaps one of the worst periods of depression in my life. I was crying almost 24/7, sleeping excessively, I felt empty inside, plus I felt this intense hurt and sadness for no reason. I have everything to be thankful for, but I couldn't bring myself to even feel happy. A few months later, I found out I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and that the Lexapro was intensifying the Depressive episodes. I urge anybody to use caution, if you end up taking this medicine. If you notice your depression has intensified, and you are on Lexapro, please get help."

NightRaven92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

"This was the 3rd antidepressant that I've tried and it has done wonders for me. I had no side effects compared to venlafaxine and fluoxetine when I first tried them before this drug. I also needed additional medications for my conditions. Been on this drug for two years and been good so far."

whippet121 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2017

"Took this drug for 3 years. During the last year I wanted to stop so started reducing my dose and I started going through the withdrawals - they were worse then opiate withdrawal. After the 3rd time I finally made it. Yeah I could of stayed on them the rest of my life but I don't like taking pills.Yes they help me through a very dark period. But wow the withdrawals are bad."

sunshine for real December 26, 2017

"Today is my 28th day on Lexapro. For the past 3 years or so I’ve been depressed whether I wanted to admit it or not. I had no motivation to do stuff that I once enjoyed doing. It got to the point to where my wife left me and I knew I needed a change. I’m 32 years old and also have had a generalized anxiety disorder. This stuff has helped tremendously with my wife leaving me and me finding myself again. The first 2 weeks on this kind of were a pain but once I made it to about 2.5 weeks in I started to feel great. I honestly don’t know where I’d be without this right now at this time in my life but I’m thankful I found it. I almost let the negative stories get to me but I’m so glad I kept with it!"

Joshhhhh December 14, 2017

"Was on Cymbalta 60mg. for a few years for depression with all my other medications and the side effects causing dry mouth for all these years. Taking a depression medicine will cause your teeth to start going bad. So bout 7 months ago after a RN nurse told me about depression medicines having this side effect and that Cymbalta will cause my teeth to start falling out my mouth my doctor switched me to Lexapro 10mg. I have lost more teeth in the past 7 months than I did on Cymbalta 60mg. And I have started using mouth rinse for dry mouth. Cause I keep a dry mouth with all this medication I'm on. And still hurt everyday. Still depressed, still have anxiety at times. I have headaches, restless nights, pain and numbness in lower legs that can't be explained "

Countrygirlblues72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

"I have tried every antidepressant on this planet, and I must say Lexapro is the best! It helps not only with my severe depression, but also my Anxiety and OCD. Please give this medication a try!"

Madman09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2017