User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro

"After enduring severe depression, anxiety, obsessive thoughts, brain fog, problems with focusing, and a sleep disorder since childhood, I went on 10 mg of Lexapro at age 40. It took 6 weeks for Lexapro to work, but my entire life changed. All of the sudden, my thoughts became clear, more positive, and I could focus. My severe anxiety was reduced, my sleep disorder dramatically improved, and I stopped thinking about suicide. I was slightly nauseous for a few weeks. The worst side effect I had for a few years was fatigue. I have been taking Lexapro for 15 years in doses of 10-20 mg. I can reduce my dose during the summer months to 15 mg. I have no intention of going off the drug."

Irideon (taken for 10 years or more) March 12, 2019

"I took a lexapro 10 mg. I have never taken anything for mood swings before. I ended up having to call an ambulance and went to ER $12,000 later... my heart felt like it was going to explode. My blood pressure is normally around 108 for the top # and it was 165. My skin was crawling my eye dilated I couldn't breath I was shaking extremely bad and I experienced nausea. It was the most terrifying experience ever. Please be careful and take a quarter of 10 mg to see how you feel. I threw them away and it has now mad me to scared to take anything again.."

Heidi (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2019

"My best friend Brad took Lexapro for 4 weeks then commited suicide. No outward symptoms of depression. He was the most social person I knew. Always happy and positive. Left behind 2 kids and a wife because of this drug. Stay Away!"

Brads Friend (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

"I've been taking 5mg liquid Lexapro at night for just over two weeks. I definitely feel a huge difference in the amount of anxiety. I had no idea just how bad it was until I started taking Lexapro. I was initially prescribed Lexapro for depression. I am seeing a huge difference in my anxiety which is allowing me to function more normally. I'm only feeling a slight difference in my depression but that could also be because I'm not freaking out all of the time and because it's only been a couple of weeks. I'm so glad to get some relief and be able to have normal conversations and interact with people with out feeling like I'm floating out of my body. The best part of this is that I am not constantly agitated or quick to anger which my husband is very grateful for : )"

WinterForever (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2019

"So I've been on 10mg a day since November. I truly did not feel any changes the first two weeks. After that things began to look up. I haven't experienced any weight gain or increased acne. Recently I got an IUD and have felt a little more down, but it hasn't been as intense as in the past, (I don't feel like driving into brick walls) and it could honestly just be the new hormones. Does anyone really understand young depressed sexually active females? I'm excited to see how I feel after I have ~normal~ hormones!"

n0p3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2019

"Lexapro has changed my life for the better. I first started Lexapro in September of 2018 after consulting with my MD about severe PMS symptoms including short temper and feelings of disgust towards my significant other. I never expected it to improve my day to day life. Since I've been on Lexapro, my PMS issue has been completely resolved and I'm a generally happier person. My co-workers, who don't know I've started taking Lexapro, have told me that I'm more approachable and I even got employee of the quarter! That's NEVER happened before! The only noticeable side effect I had was a decreased libido but it was short lived. With less anger and no more " divorce or death" PMS feelings, my sex life is as good if not better than ever! Medications work differently from individual to individual but, for me, Lexapro is a life saver!"

KS (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 24, 2019

"I have been on Lexapro (20 mg) for 2 years, and prior to that I was taking Paxil (25 mg) for 6 months (25 y/o female). My personality completely changed upon taking lexapro- very apathetic, aggressive, secluded. I gained weight (20lbs) and could not drink more than 2/3 alcoholic drinks with out risking a blackout. If I didn’t take the pill for 2 days I would absolutely freak out. All I could do is cry and complain. I would sweat, shake, zap, and get nauseous/dizzy every time I moved. I decided to get off this terrible medication! I am on week 4 and it’s been three days since my last dose. I’m starting to feel bad. I cannot sleep, no appetite, I can’t focus, I feel dizzy all the time and my body temp is never comfortable. Mood swings are a big one. Distracting yourself is key!"

sopha (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2019

"Helped my depression a lot but tons of side effects. Couldn't even have 1 drink while on it because it felt like I was overdosing on a nervous system depressant (heaviness/pain in arms and legs/chest). ALSO kept being woken up in the middle of the night with extreme panic/heart palpitations. Felt disconnected from my body a lot too. Things I never experienced before taking lexapro. Weaned myself off it and the side effects went away. Not worth the benefits."

MIchaela (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 8, 2019

"When I started taking Lexapro I was afraid I would feel weird, I didn't. I felt relieved that now I remembered how a smile felt. Then I thought I was better so stopped taking them which was a huge mistake. Yes there's weight gain and yes I have occasional muscle jerks but the good out weighs bad. Back on them again and happy."

Emptynest November 28, 2018

"Anybody experience side effects after taking Lexapro for over 2 weeks? The 1st two weeks I felt good with a couple of mild side effects. Then week 3 I started having on and off depression, jittery in the mornings, loss of appetite and some diarrhea. I will be on it 4 weeks the end of this week I'm feeling better today - just hope it continues."

Rene25 (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2018

"I have PTSD and depression and have noticed a big change in mood swings. Much more up and less negative. Some sexual side effects at first. Now that I have been using the drug for a month the side effects seem to be gone."

Plotinus (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2018

"Wonderful drug for depression, but not so much for OCD..."

Metalstorm (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2018

"This medicine worked absolute wonders for me for about three months. After the (pretty bad) first side effects went away, I was the happiest I had literally ever been on 10 mg daily. I had energy and motivation. However, after the honeymoon period, things started deteriorating, and my doctor upped my dosage to 15 mg, and from there to the highest possible dosage, 20 mg. 15 mg felt no different from 10 mg. 20 mg made me incredibly suicidal and only increased the initial depression symptoms that first made me turn to medication as a possible answer. I am now on Prozac and so far it's been much more effective than the Lexpro and has had far fewer negative side effects."

Alice (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2018

"I lost my mom when I was 24 years old 5 years later my dad passed too. I thought I was fine but I really was not. Going forward I hate that I did not take this medicine sooner. I use to get agitated about the smallest things. I was also always tired and I could sleep all day if allowed. I finally did some homework on this medicine and set a dr appointment. I take 20 mg and I am so grateful to have my Life back. It is worth a try."

Elizabeth (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2018

"Not bad for short term mental crutches, pretty good for long term regrets. It would have helped me decently had I not started dating 'the woman of my dreams' on month 2 of Lexapro this drug made me act as if I had the testosterone of a golden retriever. I couldn't comprehend intimacy. She jumped me once and it was as if she had stolen my virginity. -after being sexually active for a decade. I lost the ability to drive intimate momentum into a loving relationship. Not to mention the gas was outrageous. Probiotics were recommended, no change observed. However, I did poop blood if I ate very much red meat. It got worse if I had a drink with it. I took Lexapro for 10 months, I've been off of it for about 45 days now and haven't dropped blood in over a month. My libido is still recovering and I really hope that I regain the function that I had 12 months ago. Seems to be coming through, but I'm still bent by her leaving me.. she never met me, I feel barely introduced."

Some Joe September 24, 2018

"I started this medication about 5 weeks ago and I have had a VERY noticeable change in my mood and much less anxiety. This medication has helped me get back to being me for the first time in many years and through various medications."

mbmb (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2018

"Lexapro is one of the best anti-depressants available. It takes about a month to kick in (you can read online about why these medicines take so long to work, it's complicated). I'm on 20 mg, very few side effects, one being it takes longer to have an orgasm. Overall, good medication."

Pon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2018

"This drug has saved my life! I started on 10mg and then got moved up to 20. I fortunately didn't have any side effects. I remember after my doctor suggested lexapro, I spent hours on this site reading reviews. I was nervous, but I'm so glad I decided to start lexapro. I had been experience anxiety and depression and lexapro has tremendously helped both. I didn't realize how bad my symptoms were until I got relief! I don't feel like I need to sleep all day now. Talking with people and making phone calls doesn't seem like a huge painful chore. I feel lighter and can motivate myself to get done what I have to. I also am in therapy which helps with some of my maladaptive thinking and negative self thoughts (those patterns won't go away overnight) I'm more equipped to challenge those thoughts on this medication. Sometimes my anxiety creeps back up for no reason and I've since been prescribed a PRN but overall I'm satisfied with my experience. I would recommend lexapro!"

ob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2018

"This medicine made my depression/anxiety worse. I'm 22 years old, and I was warned that people under 25 may have suicidal thoughts or worsening mood. My doctor prescribed me 10mg for depression/anxiety and insomnia. For the first 3 weeks, I didn't feel any change in mood and wasn't sleeping any better but thought I had to give it more time. Then the next 2 weeks were BAD. When I was driving I had thoughts like "If anyone were to crash into me right now I wouldn't care." And thoughts like that scared me! I went to my doctor yesterday and he switched me to Paxil. Please be careful if you are young and taking this drug."

tiredgymgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

"I tried Lexapro for a month, it did work for my depression, I had hardly any side effects but this one: It made me lose my hair!! I went off of it immediately, I'm now trying to look for another antidepressant that does not make me lose hair"

Downer (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2018

"I have been on lexapro for around 9 months. I started on 10mg then went to 15mg (liquid version). It worked well to start off but then it started to not work as often. It made me gain 13kgs in the span of 7 months and for that side effect, the drug wasn't doing enough for me. I am now going to change to another medicine, maybe prozac and see how I go."

Lisayyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2018

"Lexapro was my miracle medication for a couple of years and all of sudden it stopped working. I had very little side effects, if any, and it gave me my life back. Years later, we tried Lexapro again with no relief from depression."

Dixie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2018

"I currently take Lexapro 17.5mg for OCD/depression/anxiety. This drug has given me my life back. I was going off the deep end until I was prescribed this medication. I had some side effects to start off (trouble sleeping, weight gain), but have curbed these side effects through diet and exercise. Lexapro does a great job lifting depression and definitely helps with anxiety. I highly recommend this SSRI over Zoloft, which I was on for about 2 years. I also like the fact that the dosing of this med is much lower than that of Zoloft. Great experience with Lexapro. Helps with some of my anger too."

K-Man-Money (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2018

"Just started on this medicine. I really can't rate it, I do know it gives me a headache. From all the reviews the first couple of weeks are the hardest. We shall see."

Vicky (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2018

"I'm currently taking Lexapro 30 mg for the last year it's really help with my depression been on it for years and doing really well but I talk to my doctor and added a mood stabilizer it's called Ruxli. It's really made a big difference and it definitely boost your personality and your moods sleep well everything is changes it's amazing combination to take together when you're depressed and you get anxiety I would highly recommend it"

JR July 20, 2018