User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"I've been on lexapro for almost a week... I've been through hell within these past few months with trying to get help. Finally got in with a new dr. & My dr. prescribed me lexapro & adderal. The lexapro I take at night, because it makes me tired. It has eased up my depression. However I have an upset stomach all the time now. But my anxiety is bad again. Uncontrollable crying episodes are back. Not sure if it's the adderal making me anxious... but it's hell. My clozapine isn't even working anymore like it was. That medication made me feel normal. Now it's not working. I was told lexapro would help my anxiety, & it hasn't."

Blue star January 16, 2017

"Been on it about 2weeks don't feel any better"

Ellabow (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

"I've been on lex for almost a month and so far my side effects have been minimal. The first week, although I didn't have anxiety problems, it seemed to spark a few anxiety episodes. Nothing major. I started with 10mg and today is my first day of 20mgs. I'm a little worried about side effects. I'm still having a problem wanting to get out of bed. I just feel like I have no energy to do anything and I hate this feeling hence the increase to 20mgs. I'm going to stick with it because although I'm still struggling with the lack of energy, is helped at least put a few smiles back on my face here and there. All I know is I want to get better, I have to get better! Good luck everyone I'll check back in 3 or 4 wks & give a complete update."

Life will get better... (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

"I was put on Lexapro 3 years ago to treat depression & Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. The first 2 months were standard. Adjusting and getting the dose right. I ended up on 20mg. After the initial adjustment, I experienced panic attacks, which came frequently, worsening anxiety - over 3 years, gained 12kg. It in no way helped PMDD. I weened myself from 20mg down to 5mg over 6 months which was HELL then stayed on 5mg for another 12 months. I have since had my ovaries removed and a total hysterectomy to get rid of PMDD. Now 4 weeks ago, I stopped the 5mg, cold turkey, as the tapering was so bad. Lexapro took so much of my life, and coming off is the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm still withdrawing after 4 weeks. it's been a nightmare!"

Shayro January 4, 2017

"After I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety, I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg at first. Taking 25mg for a week, and slowly increasing to 50 mg, then 100mg. It was horrible. The first two weeks I ended up restless and could not sleep, I was also shivering and tense during the day. I was then prescribed Lexapro, which helped me get back to my normal sleeping schedule. It did help with my anxiety more, but it did not do much for my depression. My constant hopelessness went away, but I didn't really find the will to commit to goals, motivate myself, and just become more content. I'm really just feeling like I'm in the middle. It's been more than 7 weeks now on Lexapro and I might look to change to something different."

laurar1993 January 2, 2017

"My rheumatologist put me on Lexapro for both depression & fibromyalgia, after Cymbalta stopped working for me. I started it two weeks ago Tuesday & I absolutely love what it's doing for my depression & anxiety but hate that it's caused me to gain at least 5 lbs already. I'm going to try to stick with it for another 4-6 wks, but if my weight continues to increase, I'll have to wean off of it. I dread weaning off of antidepressants."

J'erin31 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

"After the death of one of my relative,my whole world changed. I thought it was due to my emotional nature. I started having panic attacks, lack of interest, unusual feeling of fear, lack of appetite, was not able to look after myself or my family. I thought that I was going to die.I t was all unbearable. But believe me lexapro is really great .After 8 weeks, I started feeling my normal self. Mild side effects: yawning, tiredness. But it may be due to my illness rather than the medicine effect. After taking this medicine, I got my strength back. It has saved my life. Just give it a try and hang on there for at least 2 months. It can really save your life too."

Got my life back (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016

"I have only been taking Lexapro for about 3-4 weeks but it seems to work for me so far. I started this medicine due to very bad panic attacks and depression. I have only had one very minor panic attack since and it was within the first few days of taking it. I find it a lot easier to calm myself down now and my panic attacks don't spiral. I used to have crying episodes that would last hours and I have not cried once since I started Lexapro. Side effects- I have had some headaches and muscle tension and I can feel quite dizzy and foggy sometimes but as long as it keeps my panic attacks away I really don't mind. I felt nauseous the first few days but it went away quickly."

So far so good... December 12, 2016

"Have taken lexapro on and off for about 20 years. My advise is give it a go. First 3 weeks the side effects made life pretty miserable. Insomnia, nausea, no appetite or sex drive. After week 4 started feeling really good (normal) and enjoying life again."

T4 December 5, 2016

"Made me feel like a zombie..Foggy feeling in head. Not good for the sex life. Sleepy all day long; couldn't get out of bed. I woke up just to eat and went back to bed. Stopped after 6 weeks.; switched to Wellbutrin with good results."

JJ - male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

"This is a great drug. I had battled depression my entire adult life and after a year of completely changing my diet, supplements, routine and seeing several counsellors I finally gave this a try. IT CHANGED MY LIFE. I can't believe I waited so long. I used to spin in a tizzy over things. I now realize I have control and stay calm. Unfortunately I experienced many side effects with Lexapro. I had nausea in the beginning, shortness of breath and fatigue. I did not gain weight, which I was grateful for. Ultimately I switched to Prozac because this made me too tired, but I would recommend this over Prozac for most people because it supposedly has less side effects (though not for me)."

ZisserZasserZooz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2016

"I was diagnosed with PTSD,GAD and MD .My life was falling apart.I had dark thought ,wasn't cleaning my house , completely let myself go , No patience with my kids and a negative outlook on life .my anxiety was So bad I was taking Xanax to cope . lexapro has been a life saver for me 6 weeks later I'm back to my " normal self " I'm very productive , positive , I take care of my house , myself ... it will not make you happy or " high " but make life so much more enjoyable and easier . I'm at 20 mg of lexapro a day ! And I thank god for it ... I'm 10 lbs down . SSRI work different for everyone but if 2 month ago told me my life would change for the better I would have never believed it ! Give it a try ! We are all SURVIVORS! Good luck !"

Depressed mom in remission December 1, 2016

"Been on it for a few months started feeling better slept a little more then usual my doctor just recently upped me to 20mg having insomnia difficulties now but hopefully will go away after a few weeks like the sleepiness did. Other then that i love it I feel so much better"

Kathleen9007 November 26, 2016

"I've been on Effexor XR before and was off it for a few years. Life got tough again and new dr put me on 10 mg lexapro. After a week, I can see light at the end of the tunnel and it might not be a freight train! After months of not being able to get back to sleep when I wake in the middle of the night, I'm now sleeping much better. Fuzzy thinking and digestive upset for a few days. I don't have much of an appetite, but that is really a good thing! I feel a little more focused too. I can feel my mental energy returning. So far so good."

Lxuser (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

"I started taking Lexapro for major depressive disorder about 8 months ago. It started to work great and I got my energy back. I wasn't as depressed either, but that only lasted about 7 months. After a while my sex drive completely went away and it put a strain on my relationship. I also noticed I started to become more depressed as the time went on. I started to lose all the energy the medicine gave me. I tried to ween off of the medicine and it gave me terrible head aches and horrible nausea. I currently have been perscribed Effexor, hoping that will help with the sex drive."

natalie4455566 November 2, 2016

"So I was initially prescribed Lexapro over this past summer. It was supposed to help out with my mood and overall sense of well being. After taking it for about two weeks in a row, my doctor told me to stop taking it and switch to Trintellix, since the Lex was causing an unbearable amount of drowsiness. I stopped going to work because on average, I'd get out of bed after 12 or so hours of sleep. Ridiculous, but I figured it would be worth powering through. It wasn't until my mood started getting worse, like I was running on 4 hours of sleep and didn't study for a final every day. Trintellix has so far been a godsend, no adverse side effects. Unable to refill the trin at the UC, I went back to lex, and after 2 days, the dread was too much..."

UngoKast (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

"This is about my boyfriend who is currently taking this med. He is acting differently sometimes acting like he doesn't care about anything. He got rashes on some of his body. He is not the same. I'm trying to talk him into trying something else. I don't like the side effects I'm seeing in him. He's still depressed so it's not really helping him. He's like dr. Jekyl & Hyde. He will snap 1 minute then the next minute he's talking very nice as if nothing happened or he didn't remember saying anything mean. It's been a roller coaster I think I would rather have him not on anything or prescribed medical marijuana for his anxiety & to help him relax. I don't know what the right answer is. Maybe we will find something in the near future to help."

Brown bear October 19, 2016

"Lifted my mood within the first few weeks of taking - upped dose from 10mg to 20mg but didn't see any change. Kind of flat-lined after that (felt like a bit of a zombie). Side effects weren't too bad though - night sweats, some minor headaches & restlessness."

Jam123 October 9, 2016

"I haven't filled my script and haven't had meds in 5 days and all I wanna do is cry all day and think bad things about my relationship. I worry to much"

Danirae (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 28, 2016

"This medication is NOT for teenagers. My son was so depressed we could not get him out of his room for days on end. We eventually got convinced him that he needed help and agreed to start taking medications and spending more time out in the sun and exercise. All of this was painfully slow but I believe the medication did help him become more motivated to help himself. He agreed to give the medication 5 weeks. Week 6 my son started punching holes in walls and throwing things when he has never done anything like this before. Week 8 my son killed a little girl. A friend of the family. Now, he is facing 47 years without parole for something he did at 17 influenced by a medication I had asked him to try.This is in fact, LIFE w/o parole."

4Nurse3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

"I have been on this drug for about 10 years, I have tried to slowly come off of it, thinking Im ok but it was a disaster, dont let your pride effect your life! I was going through divorce, stress at work, and overall angry thoughts and depression. What it did for me was make the bad moments less extended, I still get stressed and have normal bad days but the lingering of these moments lessened. I never post this type of stuff, but I hope I can help someone, this med may have saved my marriage and my childrens upbringing!!! i did have to incrwase dose after a couple years though"

Chriswh September 1, 2016

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This pill cleared up so many of my mental and physical symptoms that it's difficult to list them all. Gone are the black-and-white thinking, the ceaseless pain of existing, the social anxiety, irrational and confused thoughts, inability to truly engage with the world, hopelessness, blank future, exhaustion no matter how much I sleep, procrastination, and psychic agony that only self-harm could alleviate. Not only can I hold an extended conversation with someone, I'm also able to appreciate this improvement in my life instead of feeling like it doesn't matter. Unfortunately, my libido is also gone. Since it was low to begin with, I don't miss it too much, but one day I'd like to know what having a libido is like. Wellbutrin, perhaps?"

Thanks Lexapro August 28, 2016

"I was prescribed this for anxiety and depression. In total, I took it for 6 weeks before coming off cold turkey on doctor's orders due to side-effects. The first 2 weeks I just had mild nausea and headaches. By the second week I started feeling a deep tiredness. I would sleep for about 16 hours a day. The need to sleep so much faded by end of week 3 but the deep tiredness never went away. I also had swelling and red lumps form under my left eye around this time. Week 4 brought insomnia and week 5 brought the rash on my legs. By the end of week 6, I had 360 degrees rash on legs that burned and bleed with lumps filled with puss. The pain was continuous and severe. Hence, off meds. Took two weeks for rash to fade to where it doesn't hurt."

GaveItAShot August 23, 2016

"It simply worked. I couldn't sleep, had serious GI problems and developed depression over a period of months. Less pro helped pick me up at low dose in a few months. Was off in a year and probably could have been sooner."

Learnet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

"Lexapro made me feel normal again. I was severely depressed and so scared I would never feel normal again. I started at 5mg and worked up to 15mg over a few months. At three months I felt like me again. It was a roller coaster getting there with good days and down days where I never thought I would feel like me again. But the three month mark I feel great! I promised myself that when I felt good again, I would share my experience. Hang in there, you will feel good again just give it time. And when you have a down moment, think of happy times and remember you will get better. Side effects initially was yawning a lot. I can finally sleep again and I gained my weight back because I actually want to eat again. Life is good now. Thank you lex!"

Finallyfeelinggood (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...Next