User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"I've been taking Lexapro 10mg (5mg at first to build up slowly) for about 6 weeks. I did feel nauseous for a few days. I noticed a change about a week after starting. I take lithium and Wellbutrin- but those only seemed to help my anxiety. I still had intermittent depression- I would just get into these moods where one little thing would put me in a fog of sadness and hopelessness. I cried a lot, was distracted, and had a lot of negative racing thoughts. My provider recommended Lexapro since it works on a different neurotransmitter than Wellbutrin. I just feel normal. I don't feel like things are dulled - just that I can control my reaction better. I can feel sad, but I don't feel depressed. I don't dwell on feeling sad."

EllieEight July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro helped when I was in college battling depression. I had to go to 30mg to notice a difference. Gained over 25 pounds , no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. After intense therapy and intense workouts my depression lifted after about 6 months. Came off lexapro after two years. Depression came back and lexapro did not work. Trying to get meds back stable. Trying lamatical and prozac now"

Beardman2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on it for a couple months but it seems to have kicked in. I distinctly remember the moment I felt it; it was a sort of euphoria that felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. After that, it definitely died down. It has helped with anxiety and agitation, but I don't feel like it has been doing anything in the way of depression. It's also flattened me out quite a bit in lieu of helping me feel more balanced. I'm going to wait a little longer and then probably try something else."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Zoloft (Sertraline) in the past and now Lexapro. I find them equally effective and no real difference in side effects. Insomnia, dry mouth and yawning/jaw clenching for the first couple of weeks which is unpleasant but transient. My anxiety levels started to improve after a couple of weeks but didn't notice any major improvements in mood for 6-8 weeks and took 3 months to reach full effect. Definitely has helped me and I intend to stay on it long term. I have also tried valdoxan (agomelatine) in the past which did absolutely nothing for me and I went backwards while on it. SSRIs seem to work better for me."

Susie121 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best antidepressant out there! 5mg was enough and still working great!!"

Sarahaga1999 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For me, lexapro stopped the negative thinking. It slowed it all down, the suicidal thoughts, the rumination, the negative was gone. I was on 5mg, decided I didn't want to be on it. I wanted to face my fears, my tears, my sadness, my negative, etc. I wanted to control it, not have lexapro control it. It covers up underlying issues that need to be dealt with constructively. I've been tapering off, I'm down to 1mg, maybe less. I'm learning to deal with thoughts, the few that have come back by praying, breathing and relaxing. Opening up to people about my fears, my negative thinking, letting others guide me into positive thinking has helped tremendously. Take the meds, but work towards resolving the underlying problem and coming off of lexapro."

Poppajoeyoung (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, actually I was diagnosed with MDD and GAD by my doctor and was prescribed this pills, which helped me somehow but made my mind much too slow. I have seen reviews of this, where people taking it for many years. But I don't want to be on these pills, I wanted to be normal myself and not because of this pills. I tell you this pills will take you nowhere. It will help but you have to take it for lifetime. After thinking about it I searched about effective measures and after 6 months I found it. It was YOGA. And I was fixed within a month. Please try yoga, you will also get fixed. I am much better as a person which I was before depression. I commented because I wanted to help those who come in these sites to see reviews."

Laka May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I ended up on Escitalopram about 2-3 years ago because the previous med (Effexor XR) was causing steady weight gain I just couldn't manage anymore (50+ lbs. in 9 months). And this has hands down been the best med I've ever been on. It doesn't seem to affect my weight at all, and I feel completely "normal" for possibly the first time since childhood (about 30 years ago). I'm on 20mg, as 10mg just wasn't quite cutting it, and my doctor also later added Buspirone to help with some lingering anxiety. I found Effexor to be generally more effective for anxiety, and Lexapro more effective for Depression, so I think this Escitalopram/Buspirone combo works well for me."

xwpblue (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All I can say is wow. I can't believe the difference Lexapro has made in my life. I used to have horrible anxiety, suicidal thoughts, no motivation. Now I am excited for life, chasing after it. Colors are brighter, everything tastes better. Memories of my childhood that I could't recall before came back. I've also been waking up early when I used to fight to wake up at noon. Now, these results took a while. I felt an improvement in mood at about three weeks, and an increase in motivation at about five weeks. The first two weeks were rough- I experienced many side effects including mood swings, night sweats, nausea, increase in intrusive thoughts... but boy was it worth it."

lulzcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before I started taking lexapro I had recurring suicidal thoughts constantly. I've been taking it for 3 months now and I honestly can't believe how great the results are. I have zero suicidal thoughts, which is a first. My anxiety has pretty much disappeared completely, which I didn't even realize that I had some anxiety until the medicine started working. I actually get up and do stuff again! I finally got my life back under control thanks to lexapro. I was afraid to take it at first because I was afraid to gain weight like some people experience, and I actually have gained 5 lbs but it actually looks good on me because I was extremely slender before. I'm on 10 mg btw."

Travis20297 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Miracle drug for me. Only med that has ever helped with my depression."

SunflowerGrammy (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed terrible heart palpitations on Lexapro and had to stop using it. Unfortunately the heart palpitations are still occurring even though I have been off the drug for almost 3 months."

alpha23 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro made me very tired all the time. I NEEDED a daily midday nap. I'm a college student so I was able to sleep at odd periods of the day, but it was ridiculous. I could get a solid 10 hours of sleep at night but by 1 pm I'd be dead tired. One time I was late picking up a kid I used to babysit from her elementary school because I fell asleep and slept through my alarm in the middle of the afternoon!! I was never the type who could take naps until I started Lexapro. I didn't stay on it for more than 6 months because being THAT tired all the time was ruining my social life, grades, work life, the list goes on."

laura1436 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and feel SO much better! Prior to starting the medication I cried numerous times daily, had panic attacks, and just felt hopeless/worthless. My life was terrible and I felt like I couldn't function anymore. This medication has really helped me and I have not noticed any side effects so far! I have not cried once since being on the medication. I have a more positive outlook on life now as well. It's wonderful!"

MichelleR16 April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"30. Male. I was completely lethargic and I had pretty bad anxiety. I always stressed about job assignments at work and rarely ever wanted to leave my room at home. I had no energy and I frequently called into work. I thought I had low testosterone so I had some bloodwork done, my doctor prescribed me lexapro 10mg in the meantime and I felt my anxiety and depression just disappear. I remember the moment I knew the medication was working when I was sitting on my porch feeling glad to be alive for once, enjoying the weather and just smiling. I feel like my old self before the crazy depression. Yawning and diarrhea is annoying. But I'll take that to enjoy little pleasures in life again."

Theaudiowar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've experienced major depression along with high anxiety. Lexapro has been FANTASTIC for me in helping to get rid of my depression AND helping my anxiety significantly. I've tried Prozac, and compared to the two Lexapro has given me much less side effects, has not interacted with other drugs I take, works faster, and has given me my life back. Overall, I think anyone who is suffering with depression, but also has high anxiety can definitely benefit from this drug. It's been great for me and I think it's worth a shot for anyone who isn't having much luck with other SSRIs."

deagle415 March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My anxiety and depression really bogged me down and made me bound to my bed until I started taking lexapro. Honestly the first 1-3 weeks the side effects are very rough as your brain has to get accustomed to the changing of chemicals. I had blurry vision, dizziness, sweating issues and felt weird, but I stuck to it and eventually started waking up earlier than ever which was uncharacteristic and started enjoying life. This drug is great and makes me want to major in Psych. Recommend"

Brando33555 March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on lexapro for about 2 weeks. The first few days I felt amazing. I just got a kick of energy and happiness. It felt great. Soon after that I was majorly depressed again and back to my suicidal thoughts. Everything that goes along with depression. Hopefully it begins working soon."

Gerxcxsline March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking lexapro for anxiety and depression. My anxiety was so bad at times, I felt like I was having mini panic attacks. The worst part of my day was the thought of waking up and having to go to work. I have 3 children and felt like I couldn't take care of them, thank god for my family. Besides the occasional Advil for a headache, I do not take any other medications and didn't really like the idea of being on this type of medication. BUT, you know what? I have a family, friends, a career, and house, so if I have to take a little pill to feel better, then so be it. I'm just glad I don't have to suffer and there is help out there."

Beach bunny82 March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro is great. I take it along with Lamictol for bipolar treatment. Although overall stable, I am subject to bouts of depression and found that Lexapro increases enhances mood lessens the severity and length of depression. I take 15 mg/day; will go to manic at 20mg/day"

Velveteen Rabbit (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Lexapro 10 mg for six weeks. I was really nervous to start, because I have never taken any type of medication before. The first few weeks I did have side effects (including, nausea, dry mouth, and a kind of out of it feeling). It worried me but I stuck it out to four weeks, because all of my medical friends insisted that I do. I am so glad that I did! I feel so at ease about everything that used to control my mind excessively. I am so much more bubbly and comfortable with conversations with others. It really just took that edge off for me. All of the side effects have gone away. I strongly recommend."

fattah February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on 10mg of lexapro for a little over a month now. My depression like I've said before has lifted. I do have some spells here & there. My anxiety is still an issue just not as bad as it was. However I did start getting jittery/shaky. I'm not sure what that could be caused from!? I do take clonezapam when I start to feel those symptoms coming on. But I'm trying to not depend on it. I'm not sure if my dose of the lexapro needs to go up, I really don't want to go up. I'm hoping I can go off this medication by summer time."

Crazybaby February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on Lexapro 20mg for years and was tired of the weight gain and thought I was okay enough to be off of it. Weaned myself off of it over a long time and went through all of the brain zaps, confusion, exhaustion, etc. But, finally I was off it. I was starting to get depressed again and not very clear thoughts but I thought I could handle it. Then, I got the flu and was on Tamiflu (never again) and all of the depression and anxiety raised its ugly head again. Could not shake it. The horrible thoughts, depression, hopelessness, insomnia, etc. I started a week ago back on Lexapro 5mg and already feel much better. I am starting to get more tired during the day but I do not care. I may bump up to 10mg. If you need it, you need it."

sas63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder, and took Lexapro for a few years for my depression. At first in helped, but then it stopped working. I am now on Cymbalta."

BipolarGirl31 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Today was my first day and I feel amazing. Life is on the right track. I feel free from bondage. Small things don't matter anymore. I love the new me"

Wow87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017