User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro

Zo · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2020

“I was prescribed Lexapro (Escitalopram) after complaining of severe moodiness after my bi-weekly testosterone shot was administered. The very first and last pill I will would ever take. I had a very extreme battle with Suicidal Tendencies - with just one pill! I drank so much water to help flush out of my system and after a full 24 hours later, I feel I'm out of danger. Please! Please!! Recognize the symptoms and fight through it. Get off of it immediately should you have similar reaction and notify your doctor. Hope I was able to help someone.”

JustMe · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2020

“I have had a terrible experience on Lexapro. I was having hormonal issues after a possible miscarriage and I was prescribed Lexapro when I cried in the doctors office. I have never been on birth control so this is the “first” thing my body has taken in (regularly) I am 21. Been on this medication makes me overheat VERY easily and I now have red blemishes on my cheeks 24/7. I get sick often and my bad days are bad. And I mean bad, I was not like this previously but I do not see a difference and I felt like I was doing better on my own”

Jay · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 8, 2020

“I was on Lexapro for the last 3 years due to depression. I felt much better at first, but absolutely hate the side affects. It cut my sex drive way down and made me lose muscle/weight, no matter how hard I worked out. The withdrawal symptoms are not fun, but after weaning myself off it, I feel so much better with my normal energy and libido back.”

Anxiety + Depression · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2020

“Let me start off by saying that Lexapro was the first medication that I went on to combat my anxiety and depression. At first I was optimistic about medication but after taking lexapro I was totally shaken up. It caused me to have severe mood swings, I went from the happiest I’ve ever been in my life, all the way down to rock bottom in not even 2-3 hours. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND”

DepressedFairy · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

“I suffer from depression and anxiety, My doctor put me on 10mg of lexapro. My Depression didn't feel as intense as it would but it did not help my anxiety. I would feel really dreamy when I would go out, it made my anxiety worse. I stopped using it after 3 weeks.”

Mataya · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“I am a 24 year old woman who’s anxiety and depression has recently worsened to an extreme. Desperate for help I consulted my doctor she started me on Lexapro 10mg a day she told me to split it in half and take 5mg the first few days. It took me to the darkest place I have ever been honestly. The first day I was in the ER with a severe panic I attack, I was right back the next day. The reason I felt like I was having the attacks is because the medicine was causing a severe burning/tingling sensations in my arms and legs that would not stop. And my hands and feet would not stop sweating it made me feel like I had something else going on but everything came back normal. The ER doctors told me to hang in there and that things might get worse before they get better. But I honestly physically couldn’t take it. So I have stopped it. And kudos to you guys who did stay strong and are seeing the benefits from it now ❤️”

Rjm2287 · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

“I have been having mood swings due to not being able to control my depression and anxiety. It got so bad that my boyfriend would welcome me with a hug as soon as I got home from work and I would snap at him to stop crowding me. Anyway, my dr finally put me on 20mg of lexapro and I have been the coolest cucumber ever. Every little thing that used to irritate me just ceased to exist in my mind. My mother said she missed how easy breezy I used to be and I feel like I'm finally back to my normal self.”

Trinak · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2020

“Spiral led into horrific depression with anxiety. After a couple meds I tried Lexapro. After a few weeks and some bearable side effects I felt a cloud lift and it kept getting better. At first I took max dose with Abilify and occasional Ativan, but eventually I was able to stop both of those. So here’s the hard part, it worked awesome for 8 years. The only side effects were 20 lbs weight gain and lessened manifold- a small price to pay when you felt how I did. But then I was in a period of insane stress and re-traumatized and suddenly the med would not work. It’s been a journey since, but I am so grateful for the quality of life I had for those 8 years.”

Clj · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2020

“My doc put me on 10mg of generic lexapro probably a year ago. I saw no change in mood and anxiety attacks continued regularly. Two months ago she increased my dosage to 20mg. After about 1 1/2 months I noticed a horrible personality decline. Sad constantly, anxiety increased, dark thoughts which includes suicidal thoughts. I started cutting, anger increase where I am throwing things, banging head on wall, and began drinking again after 4 1/2 years of sobriety. Taking this dosage is the only thing that has changed in my life, all other stresses are the same. Called my doctor and said I wanted off of this med completely. She didn’t feel that I have given the new dose enough time. I don’t care. I’m getting off of it so I am in the process of decreasing dosage and hope to be off of it completely within 3 months max.”

Jolly February 3, 2020

“I’ve been on Lexapro for about three months now. I was prescribed 5mg a day by my doctor after experiencing ongoing depression and anxiety. The first week was really hard, my doctor warned me that my anxiety levels would rise and they did. I couldn’t sleep, I was extremely anxious and the depression had worsened as well. I was also extremely nauseous. After about a week those side effects began to subside. I’d say that after two weeks I started feeling a difference, it was easier to get out of bed and get through the day. After a month it was even better, I felt like those depression glasses had lifted and I was feeling like myself again. I have been feeling so energetic, determined, confident and happy. It’s important to realize that it isn’t a magic pill, all of my progress came with hard work and therapy, Lexapro just gave me a fighting chance. I'd also like to add that I still have bad days, But they’re not quite as bad. I have had no side affects since that first week.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

“Caused nausea, vomiting, black outs and unwanted thoughts. Ending up in the psyc ward for a week. After a DNA test found out I metabolize this medication extremely quickly to the point its unsafe for use.”

Skimp · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2020

“Took Lexapro 20 mg for 2 years for depression. It was efficacious for depression, however I became lazy and unmotivated with memory deficiency towards the end. I used to spend most of my free time before this medication doing outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, fishing, surfing, skiing, and such. However while on this drug all I did was lay on the couch and do nothing. Stopped taking it and within a week motivation to do things I onced loved was back and my memory is not nearly as faulty as it was while on drug. Withdrawal symptoms- yes. Brain zaps mostly occur in dark hours of day, evening they slowly come on but while sleeping they are worst. Also night sweats. Did this drug relieve depression-yes. Did it make me into an unmotivated couch potato and stop doing all the activities I once loved- yes. Did my working memory severely go faulty- yes. Positives are it brought me out of suicidal thinking and as a male-47 with normal premature ejaculation, made me last longer.”

Moonwish29 January 6, 2020

“I took this medication about 10 months for depression. I know people who this drug has done wonders for, I just wish I were one of those people. The first week on lexapro I felt great. My sense of humor came back, I wanted to be social, I was less anxious. The first month was great. The second two months were good. After that it just became a pill I took at night that didn’t do anything. I didn’t feel a lot of emotion after awhile. I started to crave it. I actually missed my anxiety because at least that felt human. I went off lexipro after 10 months. I did it cold turkey, which I would NOT recommend. That was bad. After a few weeks I was my old self again but the depression was still there.”

Sunny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2019

“Lexapro is ok. I'm on 20mg and noticed that my legs ache...not sure if this is from Lexapro or not.. will discuss with my doc”

Sisi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 23, 2019

“All I have to say is lexapro saved my life! Give it a chance to work! The best”

Ron12274 · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2019

“Was on lexapro for 6 years before switching to something else as I was feeling mild depression and ongoing lethargy. After a few other meds I'm back on the lexapro for 2 weeks. Since my first dose something had changed. My anxiety got worse and my depression has gone to a really dark place including suicidal thoughts. I also need klonopin to sleep and wonder if that's countering the effects of the lexapro. Either way I'm not sure if I should just stop it altogether or stick it out another week or two to see if theres a change. So far I've had maybe one good day out of the past 15 since I started back at 10mg”

Leo · Taken for less than 1 month December 6, 2019

“Currently on day 2 - First time using antidepressants, it makes me feel so sick, I can’t stop vomiting and the just the smell of food makes me nauseous. Definitely notice my concentration is horrible within the first 2-3hours after taking the tablet. My anxiety is has heightened and I feel like it’s making me feel worse.. however will persist as my doctor has advised for the whole 2 weeks.”

Sean · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

“Lexapro didn't work for me at all but I was also on risperdal and invega sustenna at the time. Lexapro is an SSRI which supposedly adds serotonin to your brain so it might help for some people but didn't work for me because of other meds.”

Unknown November 22, 2019

“My experience unfortunately was very unsettling. The first few days was okay, although I instantly noticed a decrease in concentration. Then I started to notice my depression becoming worse, and anxiety went through the roof. I started to become consumed by negative thoughts and couldn’t seem to come down for being angry or sad about some things I couldn’t even pinpoint. I thought maybe I could handle it for a week, but then as symptoms increased decided I had had enough because it started to interfere with my relationship and made certain feelings I had more exaggerated and uncontrollable. I instantly called my physiatrist and I was told to ease off the medication. It’s been about a week and I thought I was OK but had another break down last night over something minuscule and reacted in a way I normally wouldn’t. The ability to bring yourself out of depression or consumed negative thoughts on this product is impossible.”

KRS · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“Made me feel ok but gave me awful insomnia. I quit using it after just 3 days.”

Sky · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

“Was prescribed Lexapro 10mg daily for severe depression. Within an hour after taking it I felt incredibly drowsy and proceeded to fall into a fake sleep-not sleeping yet not quite awake. The next 24 hours was pure nightmare. Insomnia, severe nausea, brain fog, shaking, dizziness, headache, stomach ache. I also felt an increase in anxiety and paranoia and kept telling my husband I felt sick and that something bad was going to happen. All this after only ONE 10 mg dose! This stuff is toxic. Never again.”

stjames46 · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

“I am on my 3rd day. I called Dr today thinking I wanted to stop the first 2 days were not good. I felt like I had flu. I still am not sleeping but she said stay on it give it at least 2 weeks. All of a sudden I took a turn and think it truly is working I will stay in touch ”

poopmeds20 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2019

“This drug is terrible. Does not help depression. Causes depression. Worsens depression. Can cause really dark thoughts, feelings and more. Doesn't do anything helpful. Makes things worse. Do not take!”

Playmaker November 4, 2019

“Lexapro is definitely the one for me”

Idk · Taken for 10 years or more November 4, 2019

“I don’t want to get into detail with my experience. I read so many positive comments about this drug . All I can say if you plan to be on this drug your whole life then ok . But when it’s time to get off you will have the worst withdrawals for over 6 months easy , anger , suicide thoughts, deeper depression then when you first started. Can’t work can’t have sex everything stopped working . I took it for 15 years this has been roughest year by far mentally from getting off this drug . Been taking natural vitamins.... I’m just a person that trusted my dr to help me feel better and it did. But they can’t help you when it’s time to get off they will just put u on something else. Long term damage . I can relate to all of you going thru this . And the longer you take it the harder it will be to get off. I've been off it for about 6 months after 15 years I’m still working to get better everyday is hard . Just sharing my opinion”