User Reviews for Lexapro

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"For 8 years I had depression which I did not realise I have. Tired after wake up, low motivated, lazy, cry for nothing, stressed easily, gained weight, low libido, insomnia, no social contacts etc. Until I asked help to doctor. I started with 10 mg for 1.5 month and from today 15mg. I am very happy now as I see hudge improvment - tiredness is gone, I can not cry actualy anymore (just can not), I engoy cleaning and organising home, playing with children, I am patient to children mistakes and loudness now again, motivated to improve life, social contacts are pleassure. First 3 weeks was awfull - felt sick, panic, depression, worthless, insomnia but now after 1,5 month I feel back in my skin! Happy. Libido is back again."

Jane77777777853 January 15, 2018

"This stuff helped me tremendously. I never realized just how bad my depression was until I started taking Lexapro and felt so much better. I actually have the DESIRE to do things, even schoolwork. I no longer have this sense of dread when I wake up in the morning, and I actually enjoy being around people more. I've even received compliments from family about my mood and how much better I am. Only regret is not seeing a doc to start this earlier."

Annie917 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2017

"In the beginning, Lexapro seemed to work for me. My depressive moods seemed to not be as bad, and I was actually happy for a change. Then around October 2017, I entered perhaps one of the worst periods of depression in my life. I was crying almost 24/7, sleeping excessively, I felt empty inside, plus I felt this intense hurt and sadness for no reason. I have everything to be thankful for, but I couldn't bring myself to even feel happy. A few months later, I found out I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and that the Lexapro was intensifying the Depressive episodes. I urge anybody to use caution, if you end up taking this medicine. If you notice your depression has intensified, and you are on Lexapro, please get help."

NightRaven92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2017

"This was the 3rd antidepressant that I've tried and it has done wonders for me. I had no side effects compared to venlafaxine and fluoxetine when I first tried them before this drug. I also needed additional medications for my conditions. Been on this drug for two years and been good so far."

whippet121 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2017

"Took this drug for 3 years. During the last year I wanted to stop so started reducing my dose and I started going through the withdrawals - they were worse then opiate withdrawal. After the 3rd time I finally made it. Yeah I could of stayed on them the rest of my life but I don't like taking pills.Yes they help me through a very dark period. But wow the withdrawals are bad."

sunshine for real December 26, 2017

"Today is my 28th day on Lexapro. For the past 3 years or so I’ve been depressed whether I wanted to admit it or not. I had no motivation to do stuff that I once enjoyed doing. It got to the point to where my wife left me and I knew I needed a change. I’m 32 years old and also have had a generalized anxiety disorder. This stuff has helped tremendously with my wife leaving me and me finding myself again. The first 2 weeks on this kind of were a pain but once I made it to about 2.5 weeks in I started to feel great. I honestly don’t know where I’d be without this right now at this time in my life but I’m thankful I found it. I almost let the negative stories get to me but I’m so glad I kept with it!"

Joshhhhh December 14, 2017

"Was on Cymbalta 60mg. for a few years for depression with all my other medications and the side effects causing dry mouth for all these years. Taking a depression medicine will cause your teeth to start going bad. So bout 7 months ago after a RN nurse told me about depression medicines having this side effect and that Cymbalta will cause my teeth to start falling out my mouth my doctor switched me to Lexapro 10mg. I have lost more teeth in the past 7 months than I did on Cymbalta 60mg. And I have started using mouth rinse for dry mouth. Cause I keep a dry mouth with all this medication I'm on. And still hurt everyday. Still depressed, still have anxiety at times. I have headaches, restless nights, pain and numbness in lower legs that can't be explained "

Countrygirlblues72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

"I have tried every antidepressant on this planet, and I must say Lexapro is the best! It helps not only with my severe depression, but also my Anxiety and OCD. Please give this medication a try!"

Madman09 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2017

"I like this med! I had severe anxiety and moderate depression. . I'm only on 5 mg to start but in 2-3 weeks I noticed a big change in balance, mood, less anxiety and depression. I'm still a little depressed and would like to go up to 10 mg. Perhaps 25-30 mg is too much but in smaller doses, gradually increased, is greatly changing my quality of life. PS Take in the morning. I wish you all well."

bambam1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

"I’ve been taking 10 mg for a few weeks now but I don’t think it’s helping. I cry myself to sleep every night. My parents notice a difference in my mood but it’s only because I’ve stopped showing emotion around other people. I save my feelings for when I’m alone."

Katalak November 3, 2017

"Lexapro gave me terrible nightmares. I jump out of bed while asleep. I tore both of my arms up and hit the closet door with my head. I scream in my sleep, I break lamps with my flailing arms while I am a sleep. Every side effect listed I have! I fall all the time, I stumble around. This is a terrible medicine!! Never again!! It seems to be taking forever to get out of my system after I stopped it (without my Dr permission). What happens now can not be as bad as the side effects I have!!"

memexyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

"I have been on lexapro for about 6 months. I started on 5mg then 10mg then 15mg which is what I am on now. For the first few weeks it lowered my mood but now I am a whole new person and it was completely worth it. I am so focused on work, enjoy socializing so much more now, appreciate music, it has really lifted my mood from a 4/10 to a 10/10. I still have bad days every now and then but nothing compared to before. My social anxiety has also almost completely gone and people at work comment on how confident I am. I started my job after about 6 weeks of taking it so they never knew me before. I think its really good how it has made me so focused and goal motivated too at work and in life, I am really happy I started this medication."

Lucci1985 October 17, 2017

"I have taken this drug for two years. First at 20 mg for one year, and now at 10 mg. It worked starting in less than a week. It did get to the point where I was blitzed (sleepy) way too much at 20mg. It is a libido killer, that is true, sad to say. And I got fat. However, the antidote is to work out like crazy. I ballooned from 207lb to 222lb, and today I am now at 205lb & dropping. The drug makes you want to eat; I don't think the drug directly makes you fat. My depression went from a 9 out of 10 to a 1. My anxiety went from an 8 out of 10 to a 3. So, the drug is worth it. No there is no perfect drug, but if you want to be well, well...consider what I say, and best wishes as you work towards remission."

Wayne Lafontaine (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2017

"I had a terrible experience on this drug. It resulted in me having regular panic attacks, heart palpitations, caused me to become trapped in negative state and paranoid. I'm not one who reviews meds very often but this medication proved to be very dangerous for me. I spent a lot of time in a state of paranoia. My Dr did not listen to me when I kept stating it wasn't right for me. In the end I reduced my dose ( I don't condone this though ) and have been off it for around 4 months now. I can honestly say I'm doing much better , able to function, don't stay on states of paranoia etc. I'm also able to make clear choices etc."

Katbb September 25, 2017

"Have been taking for over 10 years mixed in with a period of about 2 years when my doctor took me off because of depression symptoms subsiding. The majority of the time I have been on 10mg, last 2 years have had dose raised to 20mg. The drug has worked great for me. Terrific improvement from when I started and 99% reduction in panic attacks. Reduction in OCD symptoms as well. Well tolerated for me at least, but I realize with these medications everyone is different. It’s not perfect but the relief I got was real and changed my life. For that I am thankful."

Jay more September 8, 2017

"I was given this to treat my depression. This actually launched me into a full-blown manic state and this is how they found out I was bi-polar. Just be careful and make sure you have the right diagnosis from your doctor."

kayyyyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

"I would like to add to everyones into, the first day of taking your low dose maybe try take your first day on a non work day! Both days I went back on it I threw up on day one and felt nauseous. Everyone is different but that was me! My starting dose for week one was 10mg then brought up to 15. Do not let this put you off as after day one, this goes away and it's all back to normal :)"

Feelbetterx August 30, 2017

"I took 1 pill and had rapid heart beat and elevated blood pressure hours after taking. I did not take another, but day 2 I had a horrible headache and nausea, and I was also seeing things. I felt like I was going crazy and I wanted to do anything to get it to stop. It has given me four panic attacks in three days whereas I only ever had 2 in my whole life. This isn't worth it and I'd take depression over this nuttiness any day."

April28389495737 August 26, 2017

"Worked!!! as quick as I took it the next day was beautiful... I laugh and play with my child so much more!! A month in and I feel like my old self.. Had dealt with depression 6 yrs and didn't know.. Just felt bad all the time and finally took it.. Now I'm on bottle #2 THUMBS up!!"

Mamaof1 August 19, 2017

"I've always had GAD, but ever since starting high school it's gotten x10 worse. Even though I would go see a therapist, and while it did help with coping, all of my anxiety symptoms I was experiencing got in the way of me living a normal life. I got on cipralex starting with 2.5 mg for a week, gradually increasing, now on 7.5 mg. I can honestly say that ever since starting this medication, my anxious thoughts are way better than they were, I can drive to a friends house without feeling anxious, the constant "what if" thoughts are gone, my bowel movements are much better, I'm socializing with people more, I barely cry, I see more colours and smells etc. I strongly recommend to teens struggling, because no one should have to :)"

oceanetia (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

"After struggling with depression and anxiety for the past 10 years (23 now), I was beyond miserable with the way I felt. Due to the depression and anxiety, I isolated myself from friends, dreaded things I used to enjoy, etc. I saw my doctor about a month ago and was prescribed Escitalopram (generic of Lexapro), at 5 mg. In the beginning of starting this medication, I noticed nausea, increased anxiety and irritability, and tiredness. After 2 weeks of starting this medication, I slowly started feeling the positive effects, which included lowered depression and the ability to control my anxiety and panic attacks. I am so grateful my doctor prescribed me this medication, because I finally feel like I'm regaining my happiness and self-esteem!"

Chrissy94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2017

"I've been taking Lexapro 10mg (5mg at first to build up slowly) for about 6 weeks. I did feel nauseous for a few days. I noticed a change about a week after starting. I take lithium and Wellbutrin- but those only seemed to help my anxiety. I still had intermittent depression- I would just get into these moods where one little thing would put me in a fog of sadness and hopelessness. I cried a lot, was distracted, and had a lot of negative racing thoughts. My provider recommended Lexapro since it works on a different neurotransmitter than Wellbutrin. I just feel normal. I don't feel like things are dulled - just that I can control my reaction better. I can feel sad, but I don't feel depressed. I don't dwell on feeling sad."

EllieEight July 9, 2017

"Lexapro helped when I was in college battling depression. I had to go to 30mg to notice a difference. Gained over 25 pounds , no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. After intense therapy and intense workouts my depression lifted after about 6 months. Came off lexapro after two years. Depression came back and lexapro did not work. Trying to get meds back stable. Trying lamatical and prozac now"

Beardman2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

"I've only been on it for a couple months but it seems to have kicked in. I distinctly remember the moment I felt it; it was a sort of euphoria that felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. After that, it definitely died down. It has helped with anxiety and agitation, but I don't feel like it has been doing anything in the way of depression. It's also flattened me out quite a bit in lieu of helping me feel more balanced. I'm going to wait a little longer and then probably try something else."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

"I've been on Zoloft (Sertraline) in the past and now Lexapro. I find them equally effective and no real difference in side effects. Insomnia, dry mouth and yawning/jaw clenching for the first couple of weeks which is unpleasant but transient. My anxiety levels started to improve after a couple of weeks but didn't notice any major improvements in mood for 6-8 weeks and took 3 months to reach full effect. Definitely has helped me and I intend to stay on it long term. I have also tried valdoxan (agomelatine) in the past which did absolutely nothing for me and I went backwards while on it. SSRIs seem to work better for me."

Susie121 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017