User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"Have been taking for over 10 years mixed in with a period of about 2 years when my doctor took me off because of depression symptoms subsiding. The majority of the time I have been on 10mg, last 2 years have had dose raised to 20mg. The drug has worked great for me. Terrific improvement from when I started and 99% reduction in panic attacks. Reduction in OCD symptoms as well. Well tolerated for me at least, but I realize with these medications everyone is different. It’s not perfect but the relief I got was real and changed my life. For that I am thankful."

Jay more September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this to treat my depression. This actually launched me into a full-blown manic state and this is how they found out I was bi-polar. Just be careful and make sure you have the right diagnosis from your doctor."

kayyyyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I would like to add to everyones into, the first day of taking your low dose maybe try take your first day on a non work day! Both days I went back on it I threw up on day one and felt nauseous. Everyone is different but that was me! My starting dose for week one was 10mg then brought up to 15. Do not let this put you off as after day one, this goes away and it's all back to normal :)"

Feelbetterx August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 1 pill and had rapid heart beat and elevated blood pressure hours after taking. I did not take another, but day 2 I had a horrible headache and nausea, and I was also seeing things. I felt like I was going crazy and I wanted to do anything to get it to stop. It has given me four panic attacks in three days whereas I only ever had 2 in my whole life. This isn't worth it and I'd take depression over this nuttiness any day."

April28389495737 August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked!!! as quick as I took it the next day was beautiful... I laugh and play with my child so much more!! A month in and I feel like my old self.. Had dealt with depression 6 yrs and didn't know.. Just felt bad all the time and finally took it.. Now I'm on bottle #2 THUMBS up!!"

Mamaof1 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've always had GAD, but ever since starting high school it's gotten x10 worse. Even though I would go see a therapist, and while it did help with coping, all of my anxiety symptoms I was experiencing got in the way of me living a normal life. I got on cipralex starting with 2.5 mg for a week, gradually increasing, now on 7.5 mg. I can honestly say that ever since starting this medication, my anxious thoughts are way better than they were, I can drive to a friends house without feeling anxious, the constant "what if" thoughts are gone, my bowel movements are much better, I'm socializing with people more, I barely cry, I see more colours and smells etc. I strongly recommend to teens struggling, because no one should have to :)"

oceanetia (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After struggling with depression and anxiety for the past 10 years (23 now), I was beyond miserable with the way I felt. Due to the depression and anxiety, I isolated myself from friends, dreaded things I used to enjoy, etc. I saw my doctor about a month ago and was prescribed Escitalopram (generic of Lexapro), at 5 mg. In the beginning of starting this medication, I noticed nausea, increased anxiety and irritability, and tiredness. After 2 weeks of starting this medication, I slowly started feeling the positive effects, which included lowered depression and the ability to control my anxiety and panic attacks. I am so grateful my doctor prescribed me this medication, because I finally feel like I'm regaining my happiness and self-esteem!"

Chrissy94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Lexapro 10mg (5mg at first to build up slowly) for about 6 weeks. I did feel nauseous for a few days. I noticed a change about a week after starting. I take lithium and Wellbutrin- but those only seemed to help my anxiety. I still had intermittent depression- I would just get into these moods where one little thing would put me in a fog of sadness and hopelessness. I cried a lot, was distracted, and had a lot of negative racing thoughts. My provider recommended Lexapro since it works on a different neurotransmitter than Wellbutrin. I just feel normal. I don't feel like things are dulled - just that I can control my reaction better. I can feel sad, but I don't feel depressed. I don't dwell on feeling sad."

EllieEight July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro helped when I was in college battling depression. I had to go to 30mg to notice a difference. Gained over 25 pounds , no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. After intense therapy and intense workouts my depression lifted after about 6 months. Came off lexapro after two years. Depression came back and lexapro did not work. Trying to get meds back stable. Trying lamatical and prozac now"

Beardman2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've only been on it for a couple months but it seems to have kicked in. I distinctly remember the moment I felt it; it was a sort of euphoria that felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. After that, it definitely died down. It has helped with anxiety and agitation, but I don't feel like it has been doing anything in the way of depression. It's also flattened me out quite a bit in lieu of helping me feel more balanced. I'm going to wait a little longer and then probably try something else."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Zoloft (Sertraline) in the past and now Lexapro. I find them equally effective and no real difference in side effects. Insomnia, dry mouth and yawning/jaw clenching for the first couple of weeks which is unpleasant but transient. My anxiety levels started to improve after a couple of weeks but didn't notice any major improvements in mood for 6-8 weeks and took 3 months to reach full effect. Definitely has helped me and I intend to stay on it long term. I have also tried valdoxan (agomelatine) in the past which did absolutely nothing for me and I went backwards while on it. SSRIs seem to work better for me."

Susie121 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best antidepressant out there! 5mg was enough and still working great!!"

Sarahaga1999 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For me, lexapro stopped the negative thinking. It slowed it all down, the suicidal thoughts, the rumination, the negative was gone. I was on 5mg, decided I didn't want to be on it. I wanted to face my fears, my tears, my sadness, my negative, etc. I wanted to control it, not have lexapro control it. It covers up underlying issues that need to be dealt with constructively. I've been tapering off, I'm down to 1mg, maybe less. I'm learning to deal with thoughts, the few that have come back by praying, breathing and relaxing. Opening up to people about my fears, my negative thinking, letting others guide me into positive thinking has helped tremendously. Take the meds, but work towards resolving the underlying problem and coming off of lexapro."

Poppajoeyoung (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, actually I was diagnosed with MDD and GAD by my doctor and was prescribed this pills, which helped me somehow but made my mind much too slow. I have seen reviews of this, where people taking it for many years. But I don't want to be on these pills, I wanted to be normal myself and not because of this pills. I tell you this pills will take you nowhere. It will help but you have to take it for lifetime. After thinking about it I searched about effective measures and after 6 months I found it. It was YOGA. And I was fixed within a month. Please try yoga, you will also get fixed. I am much better as a person which I was before depression. I commented because I wanted to help those who come in these sites to see reviews."

Laka May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I ended up on Escitalopram about 2-3 years ago because the previous med (Effexor XR) was causing steady weight gain I just couldn't manage anymore (50+ lbs. in 9 months). And this has hands down been the best med I've ever been on. It doesn't seem to affect my weight at all, and I feel completely "normal" for possibly the first time since childhood (about 30 years ago). I'm on 20mg, as 10mg just wasn't quite cutting it, and my doctor also later added Buspirone to help with some lingering anxiety. I found Effexor to be generally more effective for anxiety, and Lexapro more effective for Depression, so I think this Escitalopram/Buspirone combo works well for me."

xwpblue (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"All I can say is wow. I can't believe the difference Lexapro has made in my life. I used to have horrible anxiety, suicidal thoughts, no motivation. Now I am excited for life, chasing after it. Colors are brighter, everything tastes better. Memories of my childhood that I could't recall before came back. I've also been waking up early when I used to fight to wake up at noon. Now, these results took a while. I felt an improvement in mood at about three weeks, and an increase in motivation at about five weeks. The first two weeks were rough- I experienced many side effects including mood swings, night sweats, nausea, increase in intrusive thoughts... but boy was it worth it."

lulzcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before I started taking lexapro I had recurring suicidal thoughts constantly. I've been taking it for 3 months now and I honestly can't believe how great the results are. I have zero suicidal thoughts, which is a first. My anxiety has pretty much disappeared completely, which I didn't even realize that I had some anxiety until the medicine started working. I actually get up and do stuff again! I finally got my life back under control thanks to lexapro. I was afraid to take it at first because I was afraid to gain weight like some people experience, and I actually have gained 5 lbs but it actually looks good on me because I was extremely slender before. I'm on 10 mg btw."

Travis20297 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Miracle drug for me. Only med that has ever helped with my depression."

SunflowerGrammy (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I developed terrible heart palpitations on Lexapro and had to stop using it. Unfortunately the heart palpitations are still occurring even though I have been off the drug for almost 3 months."

alpha23 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro made me very tired all the time. I NEEDED a daily midday nap. I'm a college student so I was able to sleep at odd periods of the day, but it was ridiculous. I could get a solid 10 hours of sleep at night but by 1 pm I'd be dead tired. One time I was late picking up a kid I used to babysit from her elementary school because I fell asleep and slept through my alarm in the middle of the afternoon!! I was never the type who could take naps until I started Lexapro. I didn't stay on it for more than 6 months because being THAT tired all the time was ruining my social life, grades, work life, the list goes on."

laura1436 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and feel SO much better! Prior to starting the medication I cried numerous times daily, had panic attacks, and just felt hopeless/worthless. My life was terrible and I felt like I couldn't function anymore. This medication has really helped me and I have not noticed any side effects so far! I have not cried once since being on the medication. I have a more positive outlook on life now as well. It's wonderful!"

MichelleR16 April 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"30. Male. I was completely lethargic and I had pretty bad anxiety. I always stressed about job assignments at work and rarely ever wanted to leave my room at home. I had no energy and I frequently called into work. I thought I had low testosterone so I had some bloodwork done, my doctor prescribed me lexapro 10mg in the meantime and I felt my anxiety and depression just disappear. I remember the moment I knew the medication was working when I was sitting on my porch feeling glad to be alive for once, enjoying the weather and just smiling. I feel like my old self before the crazy depression. Yawning and diarrhea is annoying. But I'll take that to enjoy little pleasures in life again."

Theaudiowar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've experienced major depression along with high anxiety. Lexapro has been FANTASTIC for me in helping to get rid of my depression AND helping my anxiety significantly. I've tried Prozac, and compared to the two Lexapro has given me much less side effects, has not interacted with other drugs I take, works faster, and has given me my life back. Overall, I think anyone who is suffering with depression, but also has high anxiety can definitely benefit from this drug. It's been great for me and I think it's worth a shot for anyone who isn't having much luck with other SSRIs."

deagle415 March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My anxiety and depression really bogged me down and made me bound to my bed until I started taking lexapro. Honestly the first 1-3 weeks the side effects are very rough as your brain has to get accustomed to the changing of chemicals. I had blurry vision, dizziness, sweating issues and felt weird, but I stuck to it and eventually started waking up earlier than ever which was uncharacteristic and started enjoying life. This drug is great and makes me want to major in Psych. Recommend"

Brando33555 March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on lexapro for about 2 weeks. The first few days I felt amazing. I just got a kick of energy and happiness. It felt great. Soon after that I was majorly depressed again and back to my suicidal thoughts. Everything that goes along with depression. Hopefully it begins working soon."

Gerxcxsline March 5, 2017