User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 219 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Depression

"Lexapro is one of the best anti-depressants available. It takes about a month to kick in (you can read online about why these medicines take so long to work, it's complicated). I'm on 20 mg, very few side effects, one being it takes longer to have an orgasm. Overall, good medication."

Pon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 8, 2018

"This drug has saved my life! I started on 10mg and then got moved up to 20. I fortunately didn't have any side effects. I remember after my doctor suggested lexapro, I spent hours on this site reading reviews. I was nervous, but I'm so glad I decided to start lexapro. I had been experience anxiety and depression and lexapro has tremendously helped both. I didn't realize how bad my symptoms were until I got relief! I don't feel like I need to sleep all day now. Talking with people and making phone calls doesn't seem like a huge painful chore. I feel lighter and can motivate myself to get done what I have to. I also am in therapy which helps with some of my maladaptive thinking and negative self thoughts (those patterns won't go away overnight) I'm more equipped to challenge those thoughts on this medication. Sometimes my anxiety creeps back up for no reason and I've since been prescribed a PRN but overall I'm satisfied with my experience. I would recommend lexapro!"

ob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 31, 2018

"This medicine made my depression/anxiety worse. I'm 22 years old, and I was warned that people under 25 may have suicidal thoughts or worsening mood. My doctor prescribed me 10mg for depression/anxiety and insomnia. For the first 3 weeks, I didn't feel any change in mood and wasn't sleeping any better but thought I had to give it more time. Then the next 2 weeks were BAD. When I was driving I had thoughts like "If anyone were to crash into me right now I wouldn't care." And thoughts like that scared me! I went to my doctor yesterday and he switched me to Paxil. Please be careful if you are young and taking this drug."

tiredgymgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2018

"I tried Lexapro for a month, it did work for my depression, I had hardly any side effects but this one: It made me lose my hair!! I went off of it immediately, I'm now trying to look for another antidepressant that does not make me lose hair"

Downer (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2018

"I have been on lexapro for around 9 months. I started on 10mg then went to 15mg (liquid version). It worked well to start off but then it started to not work as often. It made me gain 13kgs in the span of 7 months and for that side effect, the drug wasn't doing enough for me. I am now going to change to another medicine, maybe prozac and see how I go."

Lisayyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2018

"Lexapro was my miracle medication for a couple of years and all of sudden it stopped working. I had very little side effects, if any, and it gave me my life back. Years later, we tried Lexapro again with no relief from depression."

Dixie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2018

"I currently take Lexapro 17.5mg for OCD/depression/anxiety. This drug has given me my life back. I was going off the deep end until I was prescribed this medication. I had some side effects to start off (trouble sleeping, weight gain), but have curbed these side effects through diet and exercise. Lexapro does a great job lifting depression and definitely helps with anxiety. I highly recommend this SSRI over Zoloft, which I was on for about 2 years. I also like the fact that the dosing of this med is much lower than that of Zoloft. Great experience with Lexapro. Helps with some of my anger too."

K-Man-Money (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2018

"Just started on this medicine. I really can't rate it, I do know it gives me a headache. From all the reviews the first couple of weeks are the hardest. We shall see."

Vicky (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2018

"I'm currently taking Lexapro 30 mg for the last year it's really help with my depression been on it for years and doing really well but I talk to my doctor and added a mood stabilizer it's called Ruxli. It's really made a big difference and it definitely boost your personality and your moods sleep well everything is changes it's amazing combination to take together when you're depressed and you get anxiety I would highly recommend it"

JR July 20, 2018

"37 Female mom of 2. I have hormones imbalance, anxiety and occasional depression - genetic - first of all hang in there it takes a couple months for the full effect - I kept quitting because of the sexual side effects and never fully gave it time to work! hang in there after a few months I was back to my old self, high sex drive and amazing orgasms! - I don’t feel detached or numb, I feel in control, calmer and more focused. - I did not gain any weight, take the tablet after a meal. Previously I took it on an empty tummy and felt hungry all the time. Take a good probiotic and good multivitamins. Take walks & meditate. - drug did not ruin my creativity - I can sit longer with my children, connect with them and I'm less impatient, I am a much more empathetic and attentive listener. - this drug turned my life around. I suffered through my childhood and early adult years with definite low serotonin. - I sleep better! - my skin is better - stress free. I accept myself and love myself more. "

GoGirl July 19, 2018

"I was on 10 mg for about 3 months. It did help me get out of bed, and made me more alert. However, also made me very talkative (I'm usually quiet) and also gave me mood swings. I would get out of control when the medication would wear off. I had to stop taking it because my anger would get out of control. Overall it helps with depression but I couldn't handle the mood swings, so I had to stop. I started cutting the tablet in half for 1 week then stopped without any major side effects, only bad headaches for about 2 weeks."

562calikid (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2018

"Came off of Zoloft, 100 mg with horrible daily nightmares that caused me to not want to sleep. Tried lexapro 10mg for 2 weeks - horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea the WHOLE entire time! Plus it’s getting worse not better! Went to the dr, am trying something else!"

Unimpressed (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

"I’ve been on Lexapro 5mg for 4 weeks now. I was in a deep depression and extreme anxiety. The Lexapro began to lift the depression within a few days. It has helped anxiety but not as much as it has helped the depression. I am now sleeping the entire night and don’t need as much ambien, I have been able to cut down to half of what I was using before. Side effects to start were intense lethargy, some jaw clenching. These side effects are improving everyday."

Lynny79 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2018

"Please!!! Do not take this drug unless you are willing to go through the horrible side affects. At first you may need it or think you need it. I've been on for over 10 years. It might work but eventually you start feeling like rubbish and when you want to try to go off it!! Have fun. Instead find something else - look at all your options!! It's worth the time to do your research or go through these horrible withdrawals!!"

Duke June 7, 2018

"I am over 59 years old, female, post menopausal, and have benign hypertension (controlled by medication). I take .75 MG Xanax at bedtime and have for years. I began Lexapro March 29, 2018, 5MG and increased to 10MG. I had a routine blood test. There are now macrocytes in my blood results. I have never had this before so I did some in depth research. One study involved over 60,000 people. Women my age and older who take Xanax, have high blood pressure, and are post menopausal account for 95.5% of those in the study who develop macrocytosis. Since this condition is potentially dangerous, do blood work often if you have to take it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

"I have been on Lexapro for 3 weeks now and am feeling so much better, as I used to have this flatness hanging over me I couldn't shake. The first 2 weeks were hard to adjust to as I felt nauseous, tired and fuzzy headed from the drug. Now I'm feeling so much calmer and the fog has lifted. No full on side effects like weight gain or loss of libido for me. I am taking 10mg at 7pm and would totally recommend for anyone who has been trying to cope with depression. Hope you feel better soon."

Bec (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

"I have used Lexapro for approximately. 8 years. I can't say that the drug is an effective antidepressant but it does modulate mood swings and generally improves my sense of well being."

Barry (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 21, 2018

"I had my anxiety & panic attacks under control for 8 yrs thanks to CBT. But I became depressed so I decided to try 5mg Lexapro. 1st week I felt apathetic & lethargic. The 2nd week I had anxiety, panic attacks, hypomania, extreme fidgetiness, internal vibrations, strange cold sensations & a fast heart rate. I tried to stick it out, but after 3.5 wks the symptoms became unbearable. After stopping, it has taken a month for my body to begin to feel normal again. After seeing multiple psychs, I believe I experieneced SSRI-induced “activation syndrome.” A genetic test later advised me to not take SSRI’s b/c I may have an “adverse reaction.” My prescribing doc did not recognize the activation syndrome but instead thought my symptoms pointed to Bipolar II & ADHD (untrue). These drugs are still experimental & docs aren’t always aware of side effects. I did notice increased positive thinking & motivation on Lexapro, but with the awful side effects it just wasn’t worth continuing."

rainbowbrite9 May 14, 2018

"Six months on escitalopram. The first 6 weeks were really hard. Insomnia, anxiety, aches, disturbing dreams, intrusive thoughts, flu-like symptoms, stomach issues, tremors, tingling, and extreme fatigue. The symptoms did ease up some after six weeks, but never went away. They were manageable though. About 2 months ago, the symptoms increased like the drug gave out. Two weeks ago, the symptoms kicked into high gear. Horrible fatigue that can't be rested away. Insomnia is back with a vengeance. Flu-like symptoms too that make you feel awful. And the anxiety! I could crawl out of my skin right now. It hasn't eased up either. Like flipping a switch, I just started feeling bad almost in an instant. The doc decided it was the escitalopram and are weaning me off. If I can get past this, I'll never touch it again. I was on Zoloft for years prior and it worked great but you can't take it with Tamoxifen. I know escitalopram is rated well by most people, but I can't tolerate it."

CSA1861 May 2, 2018

"Total poison this should be banned this med literally poisoned me, never had such a bad experience from any other antidepressant med as bad as this in my entire life. I have tried all the others before, but side effects were unbearable, but never felt as bad as this awful poison. The worst bit was the fever at night times and terrifying nightmares . Please do not take this rubbish med"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

"I found if I took it too late at night/too early in the morning I was very groggy and constantly yawning! After three weeks of trial and error I figured the best time (for me) was to take it at around 8pm at night. I feel incredible now and I have only been taking this drug for a month. Not 1 panic attack all month. The nightmares have stopped, yet I do have much more vivid dreams which is also odd for me. I'm far more relaxed about leaving the house. I haven't had any alcohol while on this drug. With regard to "Weight changes" listed in the side effects leaflet, I only found that I lost my appetite for the first two weeks, I was struggling to get my weight back up, but my appetite has returned. After being so anti-anti-depressants I'm regretting not having taken this drug 10 years ago! I have had a great experience so far =)"

DC April 26, 2018

"Fantastic medication for Depression. Usually 20mg but I'm on 30mg since recovering from 2nd major depression. NOTE: Beware of the GENERIC especially by Mylan Escitalopram 10mg Mylan NDC 0378-3856-77 it was totally ineffective for myself back in 2012 and some others I know in 2018 - literally like a placebo you might have to take generic due to insurance but if you worsen have your doctor justify you need the BRAND LEXAPRO"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

"I was prescribed Lexapro for PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. Was on it very briefly for me to realize I needed to be off it like yesterday! Made me dissociate and have flashbacks very vividly and violently in my head for long durations of time. Also started seeing flashing lights while I was on it. A big NO GO!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

"I cannot even put into words the new life lexapro has given me. I refer ages 13-20 years as the “grey period” at first thought it was me going thru puberty & the changes in my hormones affected my mood. Fast forward to age 20, I had a complete mental breakdown. I was completely against antidepressants. I always thought I could cure myself without a pill- I would have periods of a few months of normalness, but then the depression & grey period always crept back up. That caused me to finally reach out to a doctor. After 2 months, I felt so much lighter. Fast forward to age 21 & I am a completely different person. My outlook for life & the way I process things, I feel a sense of a clearer, brighter, world full of possibilities. It sounds so cheesy- but life feels like it should feel, finally. (FYI- mental health issues run heavily in my family of both my father & mothers side. This is a chemical imbalance that was inherited, not created. I am learning this recently.)"

Hannah April 22, 2018

"I hope my experience can help you make the right decision. I took Cipralex for 8 Years, and originally got on it, after experiencing anxiety/panic attacks. Also, I felt a little down on myself being in University and having self esteem issues. I started off at 10MG's, and moved up to 20 MG's. This drug actually made me less self conscious, and more outgoing. However, it would make me feel 'slightly' manic, in the sense I would talk non-stop if the opportunity presented it self. It doesn't mix well with Alcohol, (nor the day's after, WOW). I would say this medication is okay. It works better for depression. Be mindful about what you seek out of it For Anxiety, not so much. It is okay.... Personally, I am looking for a medication that moderates and keeps depression AND anxiety in check. So I will be looking elsewhere. Not to mention, Cipralex is overpriced vs its generic competitors. I can't handle the generic one either."

hmaqsood (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Depression