User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"Unfortunately lexapro did not work for me. Been on it for three years and switching to Effexor. I still felt anxious for no reason, felt down a lot and had panic attacks. I hope this new medication works better for me."

Review (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2019

"Unfortunately lexapro did not work for me. Took it for three years and noticed no difference. Still felt pretty down and had panic attacks. Had diarrhea a lot too. Finally switched to effexor and hope that will be a positive experience."

Lexapro review (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2019

"Before starting Lexapro, I was a complete mess. GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) had completely taken over my life. I could barely go outside without having an anxiety attack. I started Lexapro 5 mg two years ago and my life completely changed. It took about 2 weeks for me to feel a difference, and I was blown away by how different my life was. I was going to concerts, traveling, doing things I never thought I would be able to do with my level of anxiety. I switched off Lexapro to try a new drug recently to see if it would work better, but it made my anxiety worse than ever. Thankfully I started Lexapro again last week and I already feel so much better. This drug honestly saved my life and even though everyone is different, I would completely recommend trying it if you have GAD. The side effects (for me) were mild, only some insomnia and a little dizziness, so I would say if your starting it to wait a week or so, and you’ll feel a difference. I hope my review helps!"

Sb144 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2019

"I suffer from panic attacks, partial agoraphobia, the whole pack of anxiety. The first therapy I tried was Stablon, my experience was not positive with this drug. Yesterday I took only a quarter of Lexapro, that's my doctor's suggestion. I thought it was impossible to feel such a low dose so I did not feel any fear, actually I heard very good reviews for Lexapro. After an hour I felt a bit tired, as if everything slowed me down for a second and it took hours. I was not scared because it was not very scary but a pretty uncomfortable. I was lying on the bed and got a terribly dizzy, literally like I was on a boat, my room swinging right and left and all the time I had the feeling that I would fall because the dizziness became unmanageable. I can not lower my head, everything turns. I had headaches all day, but it's bearable. I feel slow to lose coordination and I do not want to walk too much, besides having terribly strong muscular pain, mostly in my legs and back."

Bruna000 December 29, 2018

"I started Lexapro 5 weeks ago for anxiety and panic disorder I started with the 5mg and 2 weeks ago my doctor prescribed me the 10mg , in November of this year I get sick with anxiety that on Thanksgiving day I was screaming and crying because of the anxiety and I though it was the end of my life. I couldn't go out. I thought I was going to lose my mind and my life. Then I when to see the doctor the day after Thanksgiving and she prescribed me Lexapro 5 mg the first week. I feel so sick (light headed nauseous anxious etc) but I read the reviews and everyone says that is normal and to stay strong and wait so I kept taking it. On second week I was able to eat and sometimes go out. Then on 3 week the panic attacks were almost gone. On the 4th week I was able to have at least a descent Christmas day with my kids and that make me so happy. I am on week 5 and I am able to go out a little more. So if you suffer from anxiety and panic attacks I highly recommend this med and please don't give up to soon it takes up to 5 weeks to work"

Yesi December 26, 2018

"I have been taking Lexapro for about two and a half weeks for OCD and anxiety. I have noticed me being calm on the outside and around everyone I talk to says I seem not so anxious. But inside its like I am exploding like something went off - my OCD is awful I can't tell you how many times I have washed my hands and my anxiety is the worst it has been in awhile. I don't know if it is because for maybe 5 years I have pushing my OCD and anxiety aside in my mind and not letting it bother me mentally but I was more anxious with my actions and words. I didn't have time to be OCD with working 12 hour shifts and being a full time student online and a mother. But now college has a two week break for Christmas and I am in the process of moving so I have been out of work for about a couple weeks. And I am a mess inside but doing great on the outside. I am trying to hang in there for the full 6 to 8 weeks. I just don't know if this is normal. But I fell like I am just screaming on the inside."

Panicky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

"My experience w/Lexapro was so traumatizing I had to share. I suffer from GAD(mostly Social Anxiety) & decided to seek help when my SA got to its worst point. The dose for this med is 10mg/20mg daily depending on your condition. Being my first SSRI I have ever tried, I started at 5mg dose: 3 hrs after my first dose, I felt disassociated from reality & completely numb mentally/physically. Dilated pupils. Thought I was going to DIE in my sleep that night: I was SHAKEN AWAKE twice during the night from brain zaps,short seizures,shaking. Electric shock in my brain that jolted through my entire body. Absolutely TERRIFYING...& this is from ONE 5mg DOSE!! The following days I had the worst dry mouth/nausea/constipation/insomnia. So numb & disconnected, I started fantasizing about bleeding out. By day 5 I started to get double vision/blurry/shaky eyes. TLDR; STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!! BET I WOULD'VE DIED IF I TOOK MORE!!!!"

bassbaby (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2018

"I have suffering with Severe OCD, it had severely impacted almost every single aspect of my life which lead to severe anxiety that was utterly crippling, social anxiety, panic disorder and mild depression. I tried numerous types of medication, even the BIG ONE - Anafranil, I remained on this medication for several months on a high dosage, it assisted with the OCD (not so much with Anxiety) however the side effects were utterly terrible so decided to give it up. My psychiatrist suggested Lexapro, began on 5mg and slowly work my way up to 30mg (currently on this dosage for the last three months). Pros: Anxiety has GREATLY REDUCED, very few panic attacks, hasn't stopped the thoughts however they have become much easier to brush off, I am able to think more rationally, and I feel somewhat more hopeful and optimistic. Cons: Constantly tired, extremely sleepy (I could sleep all day if I wanted to), I feel somewhat emotionally numb.""

Ahmed (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2018

"I started first on 2.5 mg, after 1 month 5 mg and now I taking 10 mg. It the best medication, had couple days aide effect (teeth pain) you need time for it to work and it does work.It's really cool for anxiety and depression plus body discomfort, just do the dose increases slowly and it works."

fox (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2018

"My doctor put me on lexapro 10mg for anxiety and occasional panic attacks. After the first day, and I mean ONE 10mg pill I had dilated pupils, vision changes- everything I looked at seemed like it would zoom in and out, made my anxiety worse, and I had crying spells where I would cry and cry for no reason"

Chicha (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

"Please give it a try! It works! Here are some recommendations based on my experience. It won't "fix" you, but it'll make it so you can actually breathe again. I used to cry constantly, isolate myself, have panic attacks so frequently I couldn't even sleep, and have horrible intrusive violent thoughts. 1. be proactive when it comes to the nausea side effect. Eat BEFORE you take the pill, and don't let yourself get hungry during the first 3-4 hours after you take the pill. Because once you get nausea it becomes harder to eat, which only makes you more nauseous. It's a vicious cycle that can be prevented. 2. ignore the negative reviews that are like "I took this pill for 1 day and it caused *terrifying side effects*." They only cause more anxiety and they're highly unlikely. 3. From my personal experience, the first things to get better were the physical symptoms of anxiety. Less panic attacks, more hungry, less crying, etc. Keeping a journal is helpful to see the progression."

snazzycat November 26, 2018

"Psychiatrist has been having me take it for the last 11 years and at first had no problem and now I have near daily panic attacks and they want to put me on more meds. Not a great med (and not a great psychiatrist) also if I miss my dose by 3 or 4 hours, I have extremely intense withdrawal symptoms"

Swim (taken for 10 years or more) November 18, 2018

"I'll share my experience with lexapro so far. I've been on it for a month now, before starting it I couldn't work, had daily panic attacks, social phobia and derealization. It was awful, truly. I started on 10mg and had awful side effects, felt weird, insomnia, nausea, diarrhea, increased anxiety! You name it. So I went down to 5mg, that was fine and no side affects at all. Although my anxiety was better it wasn't gone. I upped to 7.5mg and did that for a bit. No side affects. I have to mention that I do take my lexapro at night time because it still makes me very sleepy. But I sleep through that obviously. I am now on 10mg after the gradual upping and I have to say, my anxiety is nearly completely gone! I feel like myself again and work (I work in emerge at a hospital) has been great. I am only assuming it will get even better in a month. I know when you start the side affects can be hard and you will want to stop. All I can say is hold out!"

Getsbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2018

"I am back to write an update on my almost 5 month journey on Lexapro. I am feeling great, and have a lot of positive things to say. I am starting back nursing school (to specialize in psychiatry, of all things!) this January after quitting due to my mental breakdown. I am back to working fulltime. I'm calm, and feel mentally able to achieve what I want in my life. The OCD rituals are a bare minimum now, and the horrible mood swings I had before starting Lexapro have almost completely disappeared. My anxiety and depression once had me homebound, and now I'm leaving my house 4-6 days a week, and I enjoy being out again. I'm 24 and have struggled with mental health problems since the age of 12, and thought I was doomed for life. Your life can turn around for good, so don't give up on yourself. Prayers for you all that you find happiness and live your lives to your fullest potentials. Be blessed."

Starry87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

"I was very hesitant to try any medicine for my persistent anxiety and low grade depression (30+ years of drudgery). I finally "called uncle" when it was clear that I would literally not make it through without additional help. I went to the doctor and balled my eyes out as she listened patiently. She started me on 10mg which made things worst for about 2 weeks and then kicked in nicely. I felt sooooo much better. I asked the doctor to increase my dose to 20mg which she agreed to to do. There was an immediate change for the better and now after about a month on 20mg I am feeling almost no anxiety or depression. An amazing drug! Side effects are sleepiness and some loss of libido. The list of good effects are too long to list. Increased patience with the kids. Being a better husband in so many ways. I feel like I am more in control of my life instead of always trying to avoid things that were uncomfortable. I recommend Lexapro!!"

TheNervousSuit (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2018

"I started taking lexapro (10mg) for anxiety and depression. This drug took effect quickly and I felt more hopeful within the first week. After a few days I had this false sense of elation, but I eventually evened out. I was less emotional, less moody, more focused. There were ZERO side effects.... until about three months in. My hair began falling out in massive clumps. I had visible bald spots and would wear my hair up in a bun to avoid the humiliation of having handfuls of hair fall out. After about 9 months and 40% hair loss I stopped taking this medication, with the assistance of my doctor. It was only five months later when most of my hair grew back, but so did my anxiety. I started lexapro again and felt amazing until about four weeks in when my hair starting falling out again I stopped taking the drug again. My doctor and I are still working to find the right rx for me. the side effect of hair loss is very rare. I highly recommend this medication."

Crissy October 27, 2018

"I really hope that my review can help someone out there. Even if it only helps one person, it will be worth it to me. I just had my first child in the month of April and about 3 months later, I noticed something was different. I was scared to leave the house and even the most simple tasks seemed overwhelming. My thoughts were racing, I would pace back and forth, and I was having multiple panic attacks. I wanted to call the emergency room because I thought I was losing my mind! After suffering for a month, I spoke to my doctor and she prescribed me 10MG of Lexapro. I had every side effect including upset stomach, hot flashes, going to the bathroom constantly, insomnia, mood swings, shaky hands, loss of appetite, and nausea. After 3 weeks, my side effects are almost gone! My appetite is back, I don't have panic attacks anymore, and I'm not scared to leave the house! Please be patient with this medication. It takes 3-4 weeks to even BEGIN to be effective!"

Godspeed October 25, 2018

"It should be in the drinking water. I've been on lexapro for 3 years. In the beginning, I had very very vivid dreams (loved that part), but it didn't last long. I made the mistake of drinking alcohol, which really, really didn't mix well with me. It made me even more extreme in my thoughts, plans, compulsions. Once I put the wine away for good, I slowly woke up and something snuck up on me: peace. I just don't experience the irrational worry and fear anymore. I don't want to yell and scream anymore. The world is a better place now."

Rett (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 23, 2018

"This worked well for my anxiety (mostly social anxiety) that I've had all my life. It didn't work as well for depression, though. I'm on 10mg and I tried a higher dose at one point but it made me too tired. But for anxiety 10mg is enough. The only reason I'm thinking of changing is for something that helps my depression better."

ade987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

"People!! It takes about 4-6 weeks to work!!!!! Don’t write a review when the drug has not settled and began to give you the therapeutic benefits yet! 2-3 weeks into taking it, I felt rubbish, worst anxiety of my life, then pop, after about 4-5 weeks I feel the best I have felt in YEARS. I feel relaxed, calm and ready to take on the world, live my life like a normal person. I’ve suffered extremely bad anxiety, stress and panic attacks for over a decade, finally decided to try a regular medication, not just take a Xanax when I feel it coming on. This medication I understand may not work for everyone, but at LEAST if you can, give it 6 weeks and commit to it if you’re going to try it. Changed my life. I will say tho, the first month was bad anxiety, headaches, naps in the afternoon and just horrible. Prescribed Xanax to deal with the side effects for the first few weeks, then once it settles, no side effects, just a calm and peaceful mind. Thank you."

Just giving my opinion (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2018

"I took 15mg in 2014 for over half a year. It did not do a thing against my anxiety it even caused me to "not being interested in people" anymore, unable to receive love, unable to feel my surroundings. It destroyed my: sleep (10 hours wasn't enough). My muscles got destroyed and I felt very weak till this day I'm not fully recovered. It caused heavy brain fog (till this day not fully disappeared... "

Elite_Gamer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2018

"I started taking Lexapro 5 mg everyday for 3 weeks. At a very low dose my anxiety was unbearable by the end of the third week. It might work for some just not for me. I am on Buspirone now just started it today so no feed back yet."

Ryon (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

"I have been on Lexapro 5mg (7 days at beginning) and upped to 10mg almost two weeks ago (for depression and anxiety) Straight away I had very vivid dreams and dry mouth, when I upped to 10mg I became increasingly anxious and emotionally unstable I am not able to stop crying and panicking at every situation. My paranoid racing thoughts were uncontrollable and disturbing, making me think all my close friends and family were turning against me (prior to medication my anxious thoughts often surrounded the idea that nobody loved me and were only pretending) Just wondering how long this side effect will last as it’s really negatively impacting my life and overwhelming me and ruining my relationship and self esteem"

angstandparanoid (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

"I have been taking this a few months. The 10mg worked well for anxiety and depression but eventually the 10mg wasn't enough so I was moved to 20 which helped for a bit but stopped and my energy was extremely low on the 10mg and 20mg. So we moved in a SNRI which helped a lot and just upped the dose of that. I do have to say lexapro works very good for anxiety. No other side effects besides being tired but some people don't get that."

Sadgirl1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

"I never had an issue with anxiety until I turned 26. It was like a switch went off in my head and I had a panic attack that ended up with me in the ER. I had no idea what was happening to me. I didn't want to go on medication because I was ashamed that I couldn't cope by myself. Eventually I broke down and decided I was going to lose my job, house, and life if I didn't get some help. The first few weeks of Lexapro were horrible, but listen to me when I say to stick with it. I had every side effect in the book and felt like I had the flu for three weeks. I am now on week 10 and have never felt better. I finally feel like my old self again and I can honestly say that this medicine saved me! I pray for everyone suffering from this disease. Know that you WILL get better. God speed my friends."

dani September 20, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Anxiety