User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 172 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"I began taking 5 mg of lexapro 10 days ago, for postpartum depression/anxiety. It has been a lifesaver. The initial side effects faded within a week. I take it in the morning, because I knew that it would possibly make me jittery at first. I had tiredness in the afternoon and evening and a loss of appetite for the first 5 days, but those have faded completely. I searched and searched for positive reviews on this drug for postpartum depression/anxiety and could not find any. If anyone is on the fence about taking medication for postpartum depression, please consider it for a temporary aid in getting you past it."

tiffaday March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Lexapro after some fairly rough depression and anxiety. I had been in the hospital 3 times in 2 weeks for anxiety attacks. The first day after Lexapro, I felt the depression gone. Literally the first day. However, the first 3-4 weeks were rough. I definitely had nausea and was VERY sleepy. But after about a month, the nausea and sleepiness went away. A nurse at our doctor's office basically told me to suck it up, and that I had to give the medicine time to work. I toughed it out, and after about 6 weeks, it was like a cloud was lifted and I have felt AMAZING ever since. I didn't realize that I have probably had depression and/or anxiety for decades until I found out what it was like to feel great. Still great after a year."

Chris_Kansas March 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed lexapro about a year after my assault. I took only one pill. It made me feel worse than the anxiety it self. I was in a daze all day not sure how I made to college that day and back home. Walking was like I was drunk and the overall feeling inside me was horrible. what a waste of $65.00 back then."

creativenina March 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from depression and anxiety. I was on a number of meds before my doctor put me on Lexapro.. they were all horrible and made my anxiety worse. I was starting to lose hope that I would never find a medication to help. Thankfully Lexapro is helping! It's a lifesaver!! I could tell a difference after the first day..I'm much more "normal" I don't fly into a rage so easily, I don't feel overwhelmed constantly and I'm not irritated all the time for no reason. My moods are much more stable. Before Lexapro I seriously felt like I was losing it. My husband even told me he notices a huge difference in me since being on this. I'm also prescribed klonopin for my anxiety but since being on Lexapro I haven't had a need to take it. I love Lexapro!"

AmberLynnxX (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered from Anxiety and Panic attacks since my 20's sporadically. Now in my 40's recurrence has significantly increased due to a series of personal events to a point that I was starting to be afraid of being alone. I was hesitant to initiate medication but 3 weeks into it I feel the best I have felt in a long time. The first two weeks are tough, with nausea, dizzyness and headaches but it is worth it."

GFR February 28, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 10mg daily beginning two years ago for anxiety. The only side affect was for the first week. All I wanted to do was sleep. My body relaxed so much, I was not sleep deprived anymore. Afterwards it levelled off. My Dr. and I keep constant checkups and it's working out great."

Janeygirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lexapro was a life saver for me. It helped me complete every day tasks that I could not do before taking this drug. I've tried nearly every other SSRI but this one was the best. The only negative part about this drug is the withdrawal symptoms. They are HORRIBLE. I recently found out I was pregnant and I had to cut down my dose according to my Dr. I was super dizzy, very faint and unable to leave my house. If I didn't have to stop these drugs, I would still be okay. However, slowly weening off these drugs have caused me to slip in a horrible anxious state."

JayH77425 February 26, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I developed severe panic attacks. I felt like I was dying or going to pass out. Something was seriously wrong with me. Logically I knew nothing was going to happen but then the panic came anyone I left the house. Shaking, sweating, disorentation, couldn't breathe etc etc. Starting lexapro was hard. I started at small dose of 5mg and had to adjust to it. Nothing more than I already felt. After about 2 weeks I started to not notice I was taking anything. And then all the sudden I was at a store and I forgot to panic, I felt fine. I do have panic attacks still they are not gone but better. There are situations I still can't handle but daily living, going to work, school function, dinner etc I can now do."

Outrightscared February 15, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Before lexapro I spent the majority of my time sleeping in bed and hiding away from people, plus I felt really depressed. It's really good for anxiety. I rarely worry anymore. I only focus on solutions and try not to worry about the things I can't control, and lexapro has helped me feel more emotionally balanced."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2017

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking lexapro for about six months now. I was put on it for a panic attack and mild depression. I am someone who never takes meds unless I have too and was very worried about being on this drug because I feared the side affects when it would be time to get off. I decided on therapy and lexapro. I am only on ten milagrams, 39 and petite. I can't say that this drug has caused me weight gain but if I am extra hungry I choose a healthier snack. I will say that the first few days of taking the med I did feel tired, and tense in my arms but I will say the panic attack attributed to that. I am doing great I am more relaxed and happier . Therapy is key too. Hang in there and talk to someone!!"

Zoeroc123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 10, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was once you, anxiously reading reviews for Lexapro. I began getting severe anxiety and mild depression and my doctor recommended 10mg of Lexapro. I have never liked taking drugs, but I felt like it was my only choice. The first 2-3 weeks my experience worsened. Every side effect you could have, I had. Drowsiness, sleep problems, nausea, vomiting, decreased libido, constant yawning, the list goes on. However it started to lighten up every week. By Week 6, every side effect was gone. 11 months later and I'm still on 10mg and I can't explain how much my life has improved over the past year. My life is back. I'm happier than ever and enjoying every aspect of life again. It may be hard at the start, but it's worth it. I believe in you! peace"

Tigga (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Didn't notice an effect yet..."

M246 January 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Supposed to be 6 weeks to take effect. I felt instantly calmer, happen the NEXT day! Couldn't believe it. Started at 10mg moved to 20 MG in year of use. My problem now is its been 7 years of working for me but 20mg doesn't have same effect of earlier years. I want to have increase in MG use. How to I get doctor to do this?"

Kat Suter (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I hated lexapro I tried it twice with 20mg and had to stop taking it, Every time I took it I threw up a lot, I felt horrible I felt like a zombie, I also had mild hallucinations that were not fun and rapid heartbeat it was just awful."

Vomiting, Hallucinations (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wow, just wow. It's been almost going on 2 months, and I feel like a completely better person. First of all hang in there. Side effects are hard the first week but you will get levelled out. I go to the gym and don't have an anxiety attack and run out after only 30 minutes thinking I'm dying. The fear factor has went away and that's the first thing I have noticed. My overall mental balance and mood has dramatically improved, I don't feel as off in a chemical imbalanced but more balanced and confident. I don't ever want to get off this."

5mg (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My son was a heroin addict which upon learning about it sent me to a very high anxiety level. If he wouldn't answer the phone by the time I drove home in my mind I thought for sure he was dead. This medicine made me normal again no thoughts like before no crying episodes and just calm. I'm on 10 mg been on it 2 years. Just feeling great"

Drososny (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had anxiety and severe panic attacks for a year now. 10 mg helped but still had attacks on the weekend. I just started 20 mg so hopefully that will stop them completely! The two weeks of side effects (headache, insomnia) are worth the end result!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on the 3rd month of taking lexapro , started off with 2.5mg every night for about a week, then upped to 5mg and when I saw my doctor again 2 weeks later he told me to try the 10mg and I have been on 10mg ever since. At first it's none stop drowsiness weird random dreams and anxiety and insomnia at night. For a good 4-5 weeks , but after that it's cravings and you eat more and calmly and it gets better! It has work wonders! Hopefully it continues to work!"

Khriz December 21, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Experienced hair loss and horrible scalp issues. Also headaches and weight gain. This drug is horrible and should not be allowed on the market."

Nolexapro December 11, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have severe constant pain all over from rheumatoid arthritis which has me so crippled in my back, hands, fingers, shoulders, hips, ankles and knees. I am unable to walk and use a walker. I also have fibromyalgia which causes much pain and mental confusion sometimes. My Rheumatologist started me on 10 mg of Lexipro at first two years ago . I felt a bit drowsy for a couple of weeks until my body got used to the medicine. About four months ago had a hip replacement and a nightmare arthritis flare up. The flare up has not subsided yet , so my doctor increased the Lexapro to 20mg each morning and 20 mg each night. I take it about 8 pm a little before bed time. I haven't noticed any additional side effects . This drug helps me."

Think we'll December 9, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wonder drug for me. I have been on and off 10 mg Lexapro for 5 years. Went through withdrawals while weaning myself off through the beginning of 2 pregnancies. Withdrawals feel like you are coming down with something and the world is a scary unknown new place. Brain zaps are weird too. But I went back on the medication after giving birth because I truly am the text book person with generalized anxiety disorder. It consumes every part of my life. I was just upped to 15 mg a week ago because the 10 was just not quite doing it for me anymore. Life has thrown some serious medical conditions our way. My son was diagnosed with cancer, as was my father, and my other son has down syndrome so my anxiety really spiked. The 15 mg has been wonderful."

Snugglebunny888 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine was an extremely horrible experience for me. My doctor prescribed it to me for anxiety and day one sent me off the edge. How I felt during anxiety attacks was how this medication made me feel but fifty times worse. I felt like I drank a million milligrams of coffee and was on pins and needles for 8 hours. After reading these reviews I hate that it didn't have the same affect on me as it did the majority. I hate anxiety but I can't see myself taking another one of those pills EVER."

Mbfd (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was taking Xanax..0.25 mgs three times everyday for over 13 years. My Dr wanted me to wean off of it so to help thru the process she had me take 5mgs per day of Lexapro (escitolopram). I kept taking the Lexapro for 1-1/2 years. During this time my Dr raised the dosage to 10 mgs daily. Lexapro wasn't the medicine for me. It caused more anxiety, mood swings and weight gain along with not feeling like myself. With the help of my Dr I weaned off Lexapro over a period of 3 weeks. After the 2nd day of not taking Lexapro I started with constant brain zaps, fatigue, dizziness with vertigo and felt overall awful. This continued for the next 7 weeks but the withdrawal symptoms lessened each week. I am now at the 8th week and feel wonderful!"

Nanny Robyn December 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on and off lexapro for the last 20 years (more on than off). This time I was off the medication from for about 5 months and the anxiety and depression was back even though I had a change of life style, doing plenty of exercise and changing work environments. For me the side effects were feeling nauseous, insomnia (normally 1 nights average sleep and the next no sleep, constant swallowing which I think is called dry mouth and just feeling miserable for the first 3 weeks. I'm into my fourth week now and sleeping a lot better and feeling much better in myself. If you are having the same side effects, hang in there as life will get a lot better"

Bruc November 27, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given lexapro 10 mg once per day I have been on it since July as my anxiety was pretty bad I was also given Xanax ( which did noting ) so they gave me Valium ( still had no effect) so j have been just taking lexapro now and it seems to be ok , I still get nervous feeling sometimes but not as bad as they were . In the first two weeks of taking lexapro I felt very sick I got sick a few times and just felt rotten but the Dr did tell that would happen and after about 2 weeks I felt perfect again ,"

Bub89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2016