User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 164 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro

"Had lots of freak outs the first 3 weeks on lexapro for my anxiety. It was just my anxiety scaring me thinking anything that was happening to me was the medication. I was given this for my anxiety due to postpartum anxiety and also it may coincide with depression from my moms death 2 years ago . Anxiety caused me panic attacks which ceased to exist after about 1 month on it, worked better after 7 weeks . I’m able to get up out of bed , enjoy a movie ,laugh and organize things . I look back at these unrealistic worries I had and laugh at them now . I still have some off days but they’re not nearly as much as before .I was to paranoid to drink caffeine and now I’m drinking coffee again . Yes I had some funny phobias and I’m in a better place now . I give an 8 cause it has a couple minor side effects but nothing I wanna note since I know people with anxiety will be reading this and they’re not big deals. Lexapro 10 mg for 3 months now and yes it really works for anxiety. Generic version Escitalopram"

MommyOf3 March 18, 2019

"I have been on Lexapro for around 3 months. I keep waiting for it to get better. Lexapro is very effective against my anxiety, my stress level is way lower.. Lexapro make me a very calm person and more social. However, the side effects are the big problem that do not get better with time and with a reduce dosage. I can sleep for 12 hrs a day and woke up feeling drunk, headache, tired and nausea. I have tried reducing the dosage from 10mg to 7.5 then 5mg but to no avail, with the advice from my psychiatrist. I feel tired all the time with no motivation and Lexapro lower my metabolism, I gain 4kg after 3 months on this medication, I can tell that I feel less hot and sweat a lot less, that is why I am sure that it affected my metabolism. I believe that after 3 months of lexapro with several dosage changed and tried taking it in the morning or before bed, it has made no different with the serious side effect that I described earlier."

Anonymous March 9, 2019

"I have been on Lexapro for approximately 2 weeks and have already noticed a great improvement. Prior to taking the medication, I felt high levels of anxiety that would especially interfere with my ability to concentrate during class. The first few days, I experienced some insomnia and kept waking up frequently throughout the night. DON’T LET THIS STOP YOU FROM CONTINUING IT. The unpleasant side effect wore off very quickly. As of now, my level of anxiety has significantly decreased. I feel much more confident socializing and can finally concentrate. The ONLY problem is feeling very tired and lethargic, which I think is a much better alternative to feeling anxious all the time because you are at ease. I am glad I did not listen to the negative reviews even though I was very scared at first!"

MickeyMouse44 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

"My doctors just put me on Lexapro and I cannot believe how much better I feel. I had been on Xanax for years and no other doctor suggested I get off of this. I am 77 years old and he told me at my age it was serious. I do take 1 Xanax in the morning but I am going to get off completely soon. I have had trigger point pain since 2017 and it is hard to get treated for this. Have tried so many outlets and hope to try one more doctor for this pain."

Cinder (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2019

"I was so anxious to try this medication. I was on 5 mg for a week and then started ten mg after. Let me tell you. I would NOT have gotten through my breakup without this drug!!! It’s really made me SO much calmer. I just don’t care about some things anymore. I feel so much more at ease. My health anxiety is not bad at all anymore!!!!!!!! I love this medicine. Probably never going off. Thank you lexapro for making me feel sane and calm again!"

Worthit (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2019

"Lexapro is terrible for me. I have been switched from celexa after many years and at the high end of the scale 60mg daily. Having no problems at all, doctors changed me to lexapro, hate it. Agitation increase, dizziness that was so bad I could not move my head, anxiety increase, moody, snappy, not good. Called doc immediately put back on celexa. They claim they are the same med not in my experience."

nunya (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2019

"I suffer from anxiety and depression. I was in a bad car accident suffered a really bad concussion. Days after my car accident I had more anxiety and not sleeping and mood swings and wouldn't leave my house. I was afraid of everything. Everyone told me I have PTSD. So my dr told me to try this. It's my second day and I'm happy. I'm excited for tomorrow and I never was excited about anything. I was so depressed and thought I was worthless and ugly and I don't deserve anything. But I can say that lexapro has help me see things positive. I'm happy finally. I finally feel good again."

Km February 4, 2019

"Literally had one foot off the bridge. I have suffered from a heart arrhythmia that was causing me to just give up on life. I was on a beta blocker for it and the beta blocker intensified the depression. My two kiddos were the only thing keeping me in the game. No one of course knew this...but I was one foot off the bridge with my kids holding my other foot firmly planted. Then came lexapro. I had tried it a year or so before and gave up on it...too soon. Told my doctor I had to try something. It was like my body remembered the Lexapro I swear to God. About 10 days after taking it, it was like a switch flipped. I woke up feeling better. The heart arrhythmia stopped for the most part and the depression was almost lifted. I take 10mg daily. I would rate this a 20 if I could"

DadToTwo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2019

"Like you, I’ve been reading these reviews over and over and over again and was just so incredulous that this drug could fix my issues. I had horrific social and generalized anxiety. I was self conscious of my voice 24/7, would ruin every experience. 24/7 negative self talk. It was awful. Started with Prozac and had to switch to Lex. Everything took about six weeks to kick in, so be patient. I thought I was hopeless, but I’m laughing, smiling, feel worry slowly dripping away by the day. Social anxiety is lower every day. I feel confident. I feel like who I was mean to to be. My best piece of advice is to not obsess about whether or not it’s working. You WILL know when it does, trust me. Maybe lexapro isn’t for you, if that’s the case, DON'T WORRY you WILL find something that works for you and it will be so worth it. Hang in there and don’t give up!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2019

"I had problems with severe panic attacks and my GP decided to have me try this. It worked like a charm in that the ruminations were gone and my anxiety decreased greatly (although never disappeared). However the side effects made me stop taking it - mostly weight gain."

Luc (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 25, 2019

"I was on 20 mg Lexapro for about three years for anxiety and severe panic attacks. It worked very well. I went off it recently for about 6 months, having done a lot of therapy, learning skills to deal with my anxiety and panic. All was well until my friend committed suicide about a month ago. I started experiencing such extreme anxiety again I decided to restart my Lexapro at 10mg. Big mistake for my body. I suffered the most extreme panic and adrenaline rushes I’ve ever felt. I thought I was dying, was vomiting, had diarrhea, my legs were shaking, and I had no ability to regulate my emotions. I felt as I was going crazy and it left me on my bathroom floor moaning for days. Terrible terrible side effects. A precautionary tale, if you know you’re sensitive to meds, start this drug on a very low dose to avoid serotonin overload. I’m on 2.5 mg now and feeling much better, will continue to slowly increase!"

Katie January 24, 2019

"Unfortunately lexapro did not work for me. Been on it for three years and switching to Effexor. I still felt anxious for no reason, felt down a lot and had panic attacks. I hope this new medication works better for me."

Review (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2019

"Unfortunately lexapro did not work for me. Took it for three years and noticed no difference. Still felt pretty down and had panic attacks. Had diarrhea a lot too. Finally switched to effexor and hope that will be a positive experience."

Lexapro review (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 7, 2019

"Before starting Lexapro, I was a complete mess. GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) had completely taken over my life. I could barely go outside without having an anxiety attack. I started Lexapro 5 mg two years ago and my life completely changed. It took about 2 weeks for me to feel a difference, and I was blown away by how different my life was. I was going to concerts, traveling, doing things I never thought I would be able to do with my level of anxiety. I switched off Lexapro to try a new drug recently to see if it would work better, but it made my anxiety worse than ever. Thankfully I started Lexapro again last week and I already feel so much better. This drug honestly saved my life and even though everyone is different, I would completely recommend trying it if you have GAD. The side effects (for me) were mild, only some insomnia and a little dizziness, so I would say if your starting it to wait a week or so, and you’ll feel a difference. I hope my review helps!"

Sb144 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 4, 2019

"I suffer from panic attacks, partial agoraphobia, the whole pack of anxiety. The first therapy I tried was Stablon, my experience was not positive with this drug. Yesterday I took only a quarter of Lexapro, that's my doctor's suggestion. I thought it was impossible to feel such a low dose so I did not feel any fear, actually I heard very good reviews for Lexapro. After an hour I felt a bit tired, as if everything slowed me down for a second and it took hours. I was not scared because it was not very scary but a pretty uncomfortable. I was lying on the bed and got a terribly dizzy, literally like I was on a boat, my room swinging right and left and all the time I had the feeling that I would fall because the dizziness became unmanageable. I can not lower my head, everything turns. I had headaches all day, but it's bearable. I feel slow to lose coordination and I do not want to walk too much, besides having terribly strong muscular pain, mostly in my legs and back."

Bruna000 December 29, 2018

"I started Lexapro 5 weeks ago for anxiety and panic disorder I started with the 5mg and 2 weeks ago my doctor prescribed me the 10mg , in November of this year I get sick with anxiety that on Thanksgiving day I was screaming and crying because of the anxiety and I though it was the end of my life. I couldn't go out. I thought I was going to lose my mind and my life. Then I when to see the doctor the day after Thanksgiving and she prescribed me Lexapro 5 mg the first week. I feel so sick (light headed nauseous anxious etc) but I read the reviews and everyone says that is normal and to stay strong and wait so I kept taking it. On second week I was able to eat and sometimes go out. Then on 3 week the panic attacks were almost gone. On the 4th week I was able to have at least a descent Christmas day with my kids and that make me so happy. I am on week 5 and I am able to go out a little more. So if you suffer from anxiety and panic attacks I highly recommend this med and please don't give up to soon it takes up to 5 weeks to work"

Yesi December 26, 2018

"I have been taking Lexapro for about two and a half weeks for OCD and anxiety. I have noticed me being calm on the outside and around everyone I talk to says I seem not so anxious. But inside its like I am exploding like something went off - my OCD is awful I can't tell you how many times I have washed my hands and my anxiety is the worst it has been in awhile. I don't know if it is because for maybe 5 years I have pushing my OCD and anxiety aside in my mind and not letting it bother me mentally but I was more anxious with my actions and words. I didn't have time to be OCD with working 12 hour shifts and being a full time student online and a mother. But now college has a two week break for Christmas and I am in the process of moving so I have been out of work for about a couple weeks. And I am a mess inside but doing great on the outside. I am trying to hang in there for the full 6 to 8 weeks. I just don't know if this is normal. But I fell like I am just screaming on the inside."

Panicky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

"My experience w/Lexapro was so traumatizing I had to share. I suffer from GAD(mostly Social Anxiety) & decided to seek help when my SA got to its worst point. The dose for this med is 10mg/20mg daily depending on your condition. Being my first SSRI I have ever tried, I started at 5mg dose: 3 hrs after my first dose, I felt disassociated from reality & completely numb mentally/physically. Dilated pupils. Thought I was going to DIE in my sleep that night: I was SHAKEN AWAKE twice during the night from brain zaps,short seizures,shaking. Electric shock in my brain that jolted through my entire body. Absolutely TERRIFYING...& this is from ONE 5mg DOSE!! The following days I had the worst dry mouth/nausea/constipation/insomnia. So numb & disconnected, I started fantasizing about bleeding out. By day 5 I started to get double vision/blurry/shaky eyes. TLDR; STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!! BET I WOULD'VE DIED IF I TOOK MORE!!!!"

bassbaby (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2018

"I have suffering with Severe OCD, it had severely impacted almost every single aspect of my life which lead to severe anxiety that was utterly crippling, social anxiety, panic disorder and mild depression. I tried numerous types of medication, even the BIG ONE - Anafranil, I remained on this medication for several months on a high dosage, it assisted with the OCD (not so much with Anxiety) however the side effects were utterly terrible so decided to give it up. My psychiatrist suggested Lexapro, began on 5mg and slowly work my way up to 30mg (currently on this dosage for the last three months). Pros: Anxiety has GREATLY REDUCED, very few panic attacks, hasn't stopped the thoughts however they have become much easier to brush off, I am able to think more rationally, and I feel somewhat more hopeful and optimistic. Cons: Constantly tired, extremely sleepy (I could sleep all day if I wanted to), I feel somewhat emotionally numb.""

Ahmed (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2018

"I started first on 2.5 mg, after 1 month 5 mg and now I taking 10 mg. It the best medication, had couple days aide effect (teeth pain) you need time for it to work and it does work.It's really cool for anxiety and depression plus body discomfort, just do the dose increases slowly and it works."

fox (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2018

"My doctor put me on lexapro 10mg for anxiety and occasional panic attacks. After the first day, and I mean ONE 10mg pill I had dilated pupils, vision changes- everything I looked at seemed like it would zoom in and out, made my anxiety worse, and I had crying spells where I would cry and cry for no reason"

Chicha (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

"Please give it a try! It works! Here are some recommendations based on my experience. It won't "fix" you, but it'll make it so you can actually breathe again. I used to cry constantly, isolate myself, have panic attacks so frequently I couldn't even sleep, and have horrible intrusive violent thoughts. 1. be proactive when it comes to the nausea side effect. Eat BEFORE you take the pill, and don't let yourself get hungry during the first 3-4 hours after you take the pill. Because once you get nausea it becomes harder to eat, which only makes you more nauseous. It's a vicious cycle that can be prevented. 2. ignore the negative reviews that are like "I took this pill for 1 day and it caused *terrifying side effects*." They only cause more anxiety and they're highly unlikely. 3. From my personal experience, the first things to get better were the physical symptoms of anxiety. Less panic attacks, more hungry, less crying, etc. Keeping a journal is helpful to see the progression."

snazzycat November 26, 2018

"Psychiatrist has been having me take it for the last 11 years and at first had no problem and now I have near daily panic attacks and they want to put me on more meds. Not a great med (and not a great psychiatrist) also if I miss my dose by 3 or 4 hours, I have extremely intense withdrawal symptoms"

Swim (taken for 10 years or more) November 18, 2018

"I'll share my experience with lexapro so far. I've been on it for a month now, before starting it I couldn't work, had daily panic attacks, social phobia and derealization. It was awful, truly. I started on 10mg and had awful side effects, felt weird, insomnia, nausea, diarrhea, increased anxiety! You name it. So I went down to 5mg, that was fine and no side affects at all. Although my anxiety was better it wasn't gone. I upped to 7.5mg and did that for a bit. No side affects. I have to mention that I do take my lexapro at night time because it still makes me very sleepy. But I sleep through that obviously. I am now on 10mg after the gradual upping and I have to say, my anxiety is nearly completely gone! I feel like myself again and work (I work in emerge at a hospital) has been great. I am only assuming it will get even better in a month. I know when you start the side affects can be hard and you will want to stop. All I can say is hold out!"

Getsbetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2018

"I am back to write an update on my almost 5 month journey on Lexapro. I am feeling great, and have a lot of positive things to say. I am starting back nursing school (to specialize in psychiatry, of all things!) this January after quitting due to my mental breakdown. I am back to working fulltime. I'm calm, and feel mentally able to achieve what I want in my life. The OCD rituals are a bare minimum now, and the horrible mood swings I had before starting Lexapro have almost completely disappeared. My anxiety and depression once had me homebound, and now I'm leaving my house 4-6 days a week, and I enjoy being out again. I'm 24 and have struggled with mental health problems since the age of 12, and thought I was doomed for life. Your life can turn around for good, so don't give up on yourself. Prayers for you all that you find happiness and live your lives to your fullest potentials. Be blessed."

Starry87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018