User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"I had immediate results.I definitely felt less edgy just 3 days into my 10mg nightly dose. I had a headache first two days but took pain relief and it knocked it out. So far it has already provided relief from my constant anxiety and edginess."

Storm1617 September 22, 2016

"Having been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder over ten years ago and taking Xanax 1 mg. twice a day, I was surprised when my doctor prescribed Lexapro, not instead of, but in addition to. He said it was a mood stabilizer, but I know its and SSRI generally used as an anti-depressant. Medical guidelines now require, or at least I've been told as much by my doctor, that primary physicians are required to ask questions regarding mental health. I was asked, "Have you in the past two weeks lost interest in your normal activities?" No. "Have you in the past two weeks had thoughts of suicide?" No. Still, he prescribed the Lexapro and I started taking it. The side effects were horrible. Every symptom of depression, which I didn't have"

robalo September 13, 2016

"I am on day 6 of taking Lexapro and I must say that I am very pleased with the results so far. My husband is deploying and I began experiencing panic attacks and anixiety back in May. I thought it was just me and I could brush it off or "get over it". As time went on, I noticed that my symptoms became worse. I was crying everyday, worrying, panic attacks, aniexty attacks and having intrusive thoughts, which began to make me extremely depressed. I had no energy, insomnia, crying, mentally exhausted and no appetite. I finally broke down and went to my GP and told him what was going on. He recommended several different anti-depressants. I had been reading about the different anti-depressants and found that Lexapro got the best reviews. I was reluctant to begin taking meds but thought I had no choice. I know it might be premature but I feel 100% better that I did a week ago. The only side effect that I experienced was a insomnia for the first 3 nights, loss of appetite and no libido. I didn't have much of a libido to begin with, so it doesn't bother me. I didn't experience nausea like I read on other reviews. I am slowly getting my appetite back and sleep so good at night. It makes a little groggy first thing in the morning but once I get up and get going, I'm good. I take 10 mg every morning. My doctor wants me to increase my dosage to 20 mg after 2 weeks but I will wait and see how I feel. I highly recommend this medication. It has really helped me. I feel so much better!!!"

hondachick96 September 8, 2016

"I was having terrible mood problems and depression. The doctor prescribed me Lexapro...and I guess I never realized I even suffered from anxiety until now. The results were beyond amazing---mood has been lifted noticeably...but the kicker...and VERY unexpectedly-my cervical pain was reduced by about 97% -and tension I dealt with nearly daily (I thought from the imperfection of my cervical vertebrae-because I had a 2-level fusion about 11 years ago and they've spotted a slight bulging recently in the C4 vertebrae, which is right above the fused level) and I could finally-FINALLY-get off of pain medication, after relying on it for a decade to make my days bearable! Many yrs of pain mgmt.-and an unexpected med takes care of nearly 100% of it!"

Meliss74 August 31, 2016

"I thought Lexapro wasn't going to help my anxiety but after about 3 weeks it made a huge difference. I feel like I'm living again!"

SweetLuck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

"I am 23 and have had extreme anxiety/panic since around 20. I am super sensitive to meds/ side effects. I have tried so many AD and none have worked. Recently I have tried Remeron but had to switch due to drowsiness- I have hypersomnia. Lexapro by far has taken away my worrying mind more than anything which is amazing. The first month was pretty horrid besides that though. Constant nausea, yawning, worsened anxiety at first, headaches. I still have some nausea and now I have noticed extreme drowsiness again. I really love how it helps my anxiety, but (like always) the side effects really bother me. Try it out, get thru the 1st month. If you don't have bad side effects its the best anxiety med I have ever had. Good luck!"

rknrbn (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2016

"I started getting anxiety my first year of college. I had previously had mild anxiety, but it was not as debilitating. I was constantly worrying what others thought about me and had obsessive thoughts. I started on 10mg of lexapro and it completely changed my outlook on life. I did not realize how fun life could be before I lived it without the looming cloud of anxiety. It also helped tremendously with anxiety surrounding the intrusive thoughts. Some things that WORSENED my anxiety while on lexapro were birth control pills (hormone imbalance worsens anxiety) and hard alcohol. I take 1/2 tsp inositol powder (a type of vitamin) and probiotics that seem to help my anxiety and depression in addition to the lexapro."

hibiscusgirl August 23, 2016

"Only took 2.0 mg first time & 2.0 mg in evening. So 4mg altogether daily. Instant relief upon first dose. Immediate. Gave me headache first dose for about 3 hours but after that all good for 3 days. On 4th day got another headache in evening for few hours. Last night took it at about 10pm, got to sleep but woke up at 4am couldn't get bk to sleep til 7am. Gives u vivid dreams that feel real. I wouldn't recommend starting with any more than 2.5mg or 4mg max split in two doses at least 8-10-12 hrs apart. 2.0mg each dose max. I'm thinking of making my evening dose just 1mg or bc it's much stronger and more of an upper than celexa. Does makes u feel tired but the anxiety is gone, less hypersensitive but can be too 'high' agitating."

15fgybniikmoolgfdc (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2016

"I'm in my early 30's and never had a problem with depression or anxiety until I lost my mother to cancer 18 months ago. I fell into a depression after that and my doctor prescribed me generic lexapro for short term depression ( as it has never been an issue). I noticed within 2 weeks that I felt better...I had more energy, etc.. Not liking the idea of being on meds, I weaned off it after 6 months.. I still had withdrawal symptoms (electric shock feeling). Well after that my husband left me and that combined with the loss of my mother was too much to bear. I was miserable. I only left the house to go to work and it was difficult to pull myself out of bed. As soon as I got home I would throw on pj's and just lay on the couch. PAGE 1 of 2"

Anonygirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2016

"I have had exaustion, stress and anxiety for a few months now and recently the anxiety got worse and for the first time in my life I had a panic attack twice in one day. I went to hospital and the doc prescribed the meds but I was afraid to start taking them. I also saw a therapist who also thought I could get past this without meds. After I had a bad panick attack at night I decided to start taking them..Its been 3 days and I have hardly slept and have nausea especially in the evenings and at night..Im feeling less anxious but I really need to sleep because I have to go back to work tomorrow. Please tell me this gets better because my doc said she is only putting me on these for 2 weeks then we will review and see if I can go off them"

MMKGC August 10, 2016

"I have had panic attacks for years after trying many other a it depressants that made this worse Lexapro was my magic pill I have had a 90% reduction in acute panic disorder and general anxiety, with this drug I'm normal person again and I have my life back. I'm my opinion this is a blockbuster drug and I'm so thankful to the chemist that created it. Thank you for giving me my life back! <3"

Jesse S. August 4, 2016

"I had been experiencing milder depressive symptoms for a couple of months, but then suddenly one morning I woke up with all the physical symptoms of a panic attack, which I'd never had before (never had any anxiety symptoms before), and symptoms persisted almost nonstop for 4 days until I could get in with my doctor. I wasn't having anxiety about any one specific thing, I just felt hopeless and like I'd lost control of my thinking. She prescribed me klonopin for immediate relief (big help) and the generic version of lexapro (10 mg) to actually address the problem in tandem with counseling. I'm only a week in but feeling LIKE MYSELF and so much better in general. Had some headaches and sleepiness/yawning in the first week but lessening now"

Allison G T July 26, 2016

"Lexapro has changed my life....I am an alcoholic who could never be in social situation without drinking...when I became sober I isolated myself from crowds, friends, working etc until I found lexapro which has cured me of my anxietities and I can now have a normal life without drinking. I'm the me I was before I started drinking and couldn't be happier. I also hear people say they've gained weight I have actually lost five pounds doing my normal activities and eating healthy "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

"I've been taking lexapro for about a year now and it seems to help a lot with my social anxiety. I don't think about nor care what people think as much as I used to. But it does make me kinda have like no emotion toward people's feeling & what not. Which is a downside. But I used to be afraid of big crowds. I wouldn't really want to be around people but at the same time I did because I wanted to have friends and be outgoing but it was extremely hard for me. Also I had like mild depression, always negative thoughts. But since I've been taking it it's definitely made me more positive and more friendly. Before I would always worry about everything and when I say everything I mean everything lol. With out it I do have bad withdrawal & it sucks."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

"I have only been taking Lexapro a few days, but I can tell a bit of improvement, but as of now I still get paranoid or to say anxious which makes me exhausted. And I'm not much on going around people a lot, just one on one conversations with a friend or relative. Hoping and praying it works like a lot of post here which are positive. Hoping to gain weight, for I'm at 113pds....when I was 130, Yea lost quite a bit of weight...the lexapro im hoping will give me a better appetite which I've read it does. This is an update on day 6, I slept full 8 hours and that was with getting off to sleep with help of xanax. But really feel better and have some energy and some of the worry is gone...and hoping to get better. Going to keep taking it."

robertestokley July 6, 2016

"My psychiatrist prescribed Lexapro to treat general anxiety, which it barely impacted, and since starting it 4 weeks ago I've become severely depressed and spend all day contemplating suicide. I don't know if it's entirely the medicine's fault, or if it even had anything to do with it, but it certainly hasn't helped me with anything, and I can't find anything online about it actually worsening depression instead of treating it."

Guy18 June 29, 2016

"Lexpro is the best medication. I had no life befor Lexpro. I used to suffer for 8 years from anxiety and panick attacks. I was always scared from anything. The doctor asked me to try Lexpro I was so afriad of medications, I thought medications would never help me. I used think that I will help my self to stop thinking about it. I thought they were all thoughts in my mind and I have to change them I used to get panick attacks everday when I'm sleeping. I would recommend anyone to try this medication because this medication will safe your life if you have anxity I have been 10 mg for months then 15 for 2 months and 4 months for 20 Mg and am still taking it. And I will never stop taking it"

Baraag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

"I have extreme anxiety and major depression. For me, all SSRI's, SSNRI's make me feel extremely weird. Almost as if my body feels "too good" but not in a good way. The only way to describe it is like jolts of electric shocks throughout my body that feel good. Also when I yawn or take a deep breath my teeth start to chatter. It also creates extreme erectile dysfunction for me to the point where it burns when I urinate. Unfortunately these are symptoms I cannot put up with, even though it does work."

Foxtrotz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

"After months of cbt with my psychologist for severe anxiety and panic disorder i decided to seek help from a psychiatrist. I was perscribed 5mg then 10mg of lexapro to start and it gradually incresed to 20mg. In the first few days i had never felt worse. More frequant and severe panic attacks and my general anxiety went through the roof and i had the most extreme feeling of hopelessness. I was a mess and calling my drs telling them i needed to stop taking it. They reassured me these side affects would go away within weeks, and they did. I continued with the cbt, mindfullness, lifestyle changes and stayed on the lexapro and within months i felt i was back to my normal self. Post like these kept me going. Hang in there, you're not alone!"

El441 June 21, 2016

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Started Lexapro 2006 for acute anxiety & depression. Within days I felt a shroud of darkness lift. After 12 months I felt it was changing me into a person with less emotions, so I went off it. Within a few weeks I felt a sharpness and sensitivity that had been missing but, any negative occurrences gave me intense anxiety. In late 2008 the GFC hit me hard. I was paralyzed with fear and had thoughts of suicide. In desperation I went back on lexapro and again, all the anxiety and fear went away. After a couple of years I went off it again and felt reasonably OK. Issues in 2013 caused me to attempt suicide. I survived and went back on Lexapro. I may have less emotions, but I can now deal with life. Strangely, It also fixed my AF heart condition"

kymbo58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2016

"I've been on lexapro for months now but recently i have been experiencing bad nausea at night only. Im thinking about switching if it doesn't stop (night 3)"

lozzz June 15, 2016

"I've been on lexapro for five days now and I've never felt more anxious in my life, I haven't been eating and when I do eat nothing stays in my stomach long, my sleeping has been a nightmare, maybe 5 hours a night if I'm lucky, and I'm shaky all through the night and partially through the day, I feel like I'm going crazy but I keep reading reviews that side effects are awful then subside and the medication is great, I'm just really feeling like I'm losing it here"

Sara478 June 10, 2016

"Hi Everyone, I am a 22 yr old female and I have been on 10mg of lexapro for 2 weeks now and I thought I'd share my experience although everyone will react to medication differently. The first three days were awful. Nauseous to the point where I could barely move, terrible headaches, incredible hunger, yawning constantly and waking up all through out the night. On the 4th day most the side effects just stopped. Mostly the headaches and nauseous feeling. You really have to push through the initial side effects. All the racing thoughts immediately stopped, I am so much more calm, no more mood swings, social situations no longer bother me, I am just generally happier. I will also mention that I had none of the sexual side effects."

Stacijane7 June 10, 2016

Stacijane7 June 9, 2016

"I use to get in fights all the time!! My doctor prescribed Lexapro and I haven't been in a fight in 2 straight days."

Fightin 50th June 9, 2016