User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro

Nks June 4, 2020

“I took Lexapro 2 times over my 21 years of life. 1. 13 y.o. HORRIBLE panic attacks, despersonalization, couldn't breathe, couldn't walk and thinking I'm going to die. Started to take Lexapro. No side effects and it helped me a lot. Took it for 1 year and I started to change my lifestyle to have little to none stress. 2. 19 y.o. Stress came back and so did the anxiety. No panic attacks tho. Begun to take the med, started to enjoy things again. Had side effects this time. Gained 30 pounds over 8 months! Had EXTREME loss of libido. After one year and a half, I really can't say it did more good than bad this last time. I've been off it for 2 months now. I have insomnia and struggle to lose weight. I'm eating healthy on a C.D, exercising 6/w and yet I hardly lose any weight. I still have really dark thoughts when I go to sleep and overthinking are still there. So I have mixed thoughts about this medication. First time it helped, years later it came back and it did little to nothing.”

Wallaby · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“Lexapro changed my life for the better. My severe depression and anxiety are under control and don't bother me now. The first week was hard but the benefits have been absolutely incredible for me.”

Indie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2020

“I was unsure whether or not this medication Lexapro was working because I was still having bad days and anxiety daily however I let myself run out somehow and ended up being off them for a week, oh boy did I notice it. I was having outbursts that I hadn’t had to that severity in months. I think my dosage potentially needs tweaking but I am doing so much better on this than I was on mirtazapine or fluoxetine. My side effects were minimal - nausea on and off and some insomnia”

Doodlebug · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

“So I’ve been on this Lexapro for almost a couple months and I’ve been trying to stick it out and see where it gets me I started taking whole pills which was and is terrible the side effects suck so I started taking a half in the morning and a half at evening time I felt like I was finally getting somewhere and my moods were getting better but I keep having what seems like more attacks and for a few days now I’ve just been not myself, dizzy, brain fog, frequent urination, fatigue & it’s so hard to get out of bed in the mornings even when I get plenty of sleep And my sex drive has drastically went down to almost nothing and it’s horrible to where I would rather just deal with attacks and take a Xanax everyday rather than deal with the side effects of this medication. Will be calling my doctor and weaning off it. I want my life back. For all of you that it has worked for I’m happy it worked for you unfortunately everyone’s bodies don’t take things as well as others.”

KRAZYTRUKER · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2020

“About 3 weeks in. I was on Sertraline for months prior. I maxed out on it. I was given a second med to go with the Lexapro the other day. I have anxiety and PTSD issues it seems. I still have issues but am working through them. The meds do help but my night sweats are still prevalent nightly.”

Heck February 29, 2020

“I had issues with random fainting and severe vertigo. Drs couldn't find anything wrong and my anxiety was intense from these which led them to believe it must be panic attacks. First week low dose felt really messed up but I was encouraged to keep it up. Then one day I suddenly dropped into paralysis and felt a fear I that I didn't know I was capable of feeling. I've been bad before many times and never felt this kind of fear. It felt like my organs were shutting down. I couldn't scream. I couldn't breathe. I was deaf and blind, while sweat poured off me. Everything was paralyzed. It lasted a few minutes and I hyperventilated when it finally stopped as I had been unable to breathe that whole time. The Dr told me it was a panic attack and to keep taking them. I said I couldn't and he said it's just a placebo anyways. He didn't believe my reaction and became angry with me. Because of this I now have a huge fear of SSRIs and distrust in the medical system.”

Freedom · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2020

“Lexapro saved my life. Prior to starting the medication, my anxiety was severe. I couldn't leave the house and get into a car without a full blown panic attack-- sobbing, nausea, the works. Therapy wasn't cutting it, and neither was meditation or any of the suggestions people threw at me. The first week of Lexapro, the nausea was very intense. But I could feel it changing my brain, and it was such a weird yet hopeful feeling. For three years, I had my life back. I was able to travel and enjoy taking risks without crippling anxiety. At the three year mark, my Lexapro stopped working. I haven't found a resolution yet, but I hope I can find another alternative that will help me feel the way I have these past few years.”

Gail February 13, 2020

“I started on Lexapro in November on 10 mg dose. Then January moved up to 15mg, and I am now at 20mg dose. I feel and always felt horrid. Diarrhea and achy and nausea. The docs say each time that I increase the dose I should give it time and that the side effects will get better. I don’t know what to do. Help me anyone have these side effects and do they go away.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 12, 2020

“Lexapro just did not work for me. Took it for three years and it did nothing to help my anxiety and depression - I still had anxiety attacks and I got angry to the point of breaking things. I cried a lot. Had diarrhea a lot too. Finally switched to Effexor and it’s been 100 times better. Everyone’s bodies react differently but lexapro just wasn’t for me.”

Mulls · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

“Been on lexepro for 6 weeks now no side effects but a little bit of a runny nose otherwise nothing been noticing a little bit of relief from anxiety slowly but surely can't wait for week 8 but otherwise it's been good”

Lisa February 8, 2020

“When I first started Lexapro the only side effect I had was twitching very badly. Went away after like 2 weeks. It didn't help at all. I don't take it any more cause I felt it made me worse. When I wouldn't take it for like 3 days I had TERRIBLE TERRIBLE withdrawals. Obviously you're not supposed to miss days. I've been off it for about 2 months now. I have problems I never had before taking lexapro. Everyday I got electric shocks through out my body and if I move my eyes to fast I get the shocks. I don't think I'll ever be the same before taking lexapro.”

Aaron · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 4, 2020

“Since I have been on lexipro I can feel a significant change in how I react to my anxiety, my habits, and how it has helped with my digestion and IBS (super happy with this random bonus!). The easiest way for me to explain my overall state on lexipro is that when I feel my anxiety rising, I am more aware of it and am able to pull myself out of a "spiral." For me, that is the best part. Because of the lessened anxiety, I also have fewer IBS flare ups.”

Livelaughlove February 2, 2020

“I have been dealing with anxiety my whole life but have tried to go the natural route but nothing ever worked. It was affecting my marriage the way I was with my kids and work. So I finally did something about it and I’m so glad I did! My Dr. prescribed my Lexapro 10mg. The first week I had slight nausea, diarrhea and no appetite but I did start feeling more calm. Lexapro helped me so much. I could drive without feeling anxious, go to work events with confidence. I was better with handling situations at work and at home. Unfortunately the downside for me was I ended up gaining 15lbs within 5 months. It definitely slowed down my metabolism. It was easy to gain and no matter how much healthier I tried to eat I could not lose the weight. I have been slender my whole life so this was making me feel so depressed about the way I looked. So sadly I had to stop taking it. I highly recommend Lexapro I just happened to be that 10% side effect that it could cause weight gain.”

Timbo323 January 30, 2020

“Hi, I’ve been on 10mg of Lexapro for 3+ weeks and still having side effects or anxiety attacks. Shaking hands, burning feet and mouth. Seems to get worse 2 hoiurs after I take a dose. Did anyone have these issues and when oh when does it start to go away ? Thanks !!”

Saker · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2020

“I was prescribed Lexapro after my constant, full body shaking and dizziness had no reasonable cause and I have a family history of anxiety. The first week is absolutely the worst. I couldn't eat, sleep, shaking got way worse, felt like passing out, dizzy, restless legs, unable to concentrate. Be warned, you need to take a week off work before starting this stuff. After a week a lot of the problems went away. I had a day without any shaking in my body or dizziness, then it came back, then went away again. It will work eventually, just stick with it.”

Mixed-Files · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2020

“This medication Lexapro has been pretty good to me. I had diarrhea and fatigue for the first few days, but that went away. I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2, GAD, and Agoraphobia. I thought that nothing could ever fix my anxiety, but this has done wonders. It's almost miraculous. My anxiety is 90% gone! It has allowed me to start living my life. The only thing this could use some work on is helping my depressive episodes. But paired with Abilify, I'm doing a lot better than before.”

Haddy · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2020

“My husband started 5mg of Lexapro about 8 weeks ago. He has anxiety, panic attacks and some OCD tendencies. He had side effects at first, slightly increased panic attacks and anxiety. Started feeling better though after the first week. Not as good as he wanted so he went to 10mg and had a relapse of side effects but to me the panic attack seemed slightly less severe and passed quickly. It has been a month on the 20mg and he has had several bad panic attacks and some increased anxiety. We were really worried about this but then did some more reading and it seems that it was common for people to have this happen after a month but it passed. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this happen after a month of starting and if they continued. Did it get better and how long until it passed.”

JJ · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

“Anxiety was so much better immediately but my teeth started to hurt, broken blood vessel in my finger, my shoulders and down my arm had severe pain, my hip was severe pain, I guess my joints were hurting terrible everyday getting more pain so I had to stop taking lexapro. I took lexapro maybe 15 years ago and didn't have this problem,l exapro the brand cost $100.00 so I chose the generic so maybe thats why its so different for me this time”

Kayla · Taken for less than 1 month January 13, 2020

“Well, I got prescribed this because I’m a self proclaimed hypochondriac and I'm constantly in fear of having a serious illness. Also I had been hospitalized for severe panic attacks. I just took my first dose today (10mg) with food. As soon as I took the pill I got mildly nauseous and had to lay down. About 3 hours later I felt sooo nice kind of like I was high just an overall good feeling and a little drowsiness Then a couple hours later the nausea returned but with a horrible headache almost felt like I had the flu and made me check my temperature (no fever). Now I’m laying in bad unable to sleep because I feel sick and I have muscle twitches. Hope this wears off or else I’m going to stop it immediately.”

Landbine · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2020

“I started on this drug on my doctor's advice to ease the anxiety that was occurring from taking blood pressure medication. I wish I would have found it year's earlier, even before the blood pressure medication highlighted my anxiety. It took about 2 weeks to start kicking in. It negates anxiety and enables me to deal with what is in front of me far better. Plus, silly or repetitive, negative thought loops cease and I get over things that upset me way faster and easier. The only negative for me is that I know I am on something. The positives far outweigh this negative and my doctor says after about a year she will wean me off and hopefully my serotonin levels will remain at a higher level, so I don't have to be on it forever.”

CC · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

“Lexapro has saved me! I didn’t want to take any medication, but heightened anxiety and a couple panic attacks made it difficult for me to enjoy life — so much that I was becoming depressed. The first week on Lexapro was awful! Increased anxiety, a clouded feeling, and tiredness! And at the end of week 2, I had a day of high anxiety. But I’d read other reviews that encouraged me to push through! I’m so glad I did! I’m at week 4 on a dose of 5mg Lexapro and I’ve had no more panic attacks and anxiety is greatly reduced/manageable. I’m looking forward to how I’ll feel in another 4 weeks! No side effects have remained after the initial week or two. I did find it made me sleepy taking it in the morning, so I just changed to taking it at night which solved that problem. Hang in there if you’re just starting it and it’s rough. It will get better!”

cynicaldemiurge December 30, 2019

“Was diagnosed with anxiety recently and prescribed Lexapro. First few days felt weird, started getting headaches, brain fog, libido gone. These were common effects so I kept it going. I noticed my anxiety was gone, but I couldn't cry either. I was emotionally numb and had no empathy for others. 8 days in I started getting suicidal thoughts. Keep in mind I start this for anxiety and NOT depression/suicidal thoughts! I was very scared of myself as it felt like a second conscience was forming in my brain, one that'd tell me I'm worthless and ugly, and I'd argue with it with my normal conscience. 3 days into these new thoughts the more I was on it the more this depressive conscience took over, and I was forming ways on how to commit suicide. I was too scared to continue at this point so I stopped and my anxiety is back but I have not gotten suicidal thoughts since. And this was all only on 5mg. As said by my doctor, please halt using this drug immediately if you get suicidal thoughts.”

Andygh December 21, 2019

“Life saver. First week on Lexapro ain’t easy. I felt every single emotion within five minutes. All day long. But once you're through with that, life starts being bright again. I experienced few side effects, which are nothing compared to the anxiety I had. If you’re just starting and you feel liken it’s getting worse, push through it, it gets better!”

Brian · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 19, 2019

“I developed sleep anxiety, which is absolutley awful. After experiencing insomnia I developed an anxiety at the thought of sleep. Even the approaching evening would trigger it. I felt hopeless. It led to depression and suicidal thoughts. I was put on lexapro a eventually went up to 15 mg. It helped me reclaim my life. It put my anxiety at bay so I could change my life. It took about 6 weeks for the drug to really start working along with minimal side effects. It has been a year and I am currently tapering off the medication because I feel I do not need it anymore. It is a good drug! Allow some time for it to kick in. Also, use the medication as a tool. Mental health is about balance. Find ways to change your life/ mentality. The Lexapro is a tool to help with the big picture. There is light on the other side of the storm! Never lose hope and FIGHT for your life!”

Guitar man · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2019

“First day heart racing all day, I have a splitting headaches, by dosage 3 chest feels numb like, I have a dry mouth, dizziness but all these symptoms can be cause of anxiety. By day four feel side effects less hopefully in two weeks will start working. 20 years ago I was on ciprimil for a few months ....felt similar”