User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro

"Utter garbage. Just wanted to sleep and hide away from life. Inactivity resulted in 2 stone wait gain. Overrated and did absolutely nothing for anxiety despite being on 20mg. Great for contraception..you can't have proper sex. The only drug I have ever been on where I actually felt better not taking it."

GEM (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2019

"I am 62 year old male and have been taking 10 Mg of Lexapro for 7 weeks and have been experiencing a myriad of side effects. I have had mild headaches, teeth aches, gas that could launch a small rocket, heart burn, loss of libido, inability to ejaculate, extremely sleepy shortly after taking, I have gained about 10 lbs in 7 weeks due to eating everything in sight. While my family says my mood has improved, I personally do not see or feel enough of an improvement to put up with all these side effects."

shakey26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2019

"A trauma resulted in acute PTSD-related panic attacks and anxiety. I put up with this for 10 days and then started Lexapro 10mg. I experienced increased anxiety, dry mouth, clenched jaw, muscle twitches, feeling of having to pee, nose bleed, insomnia, headaches, and stomach aches. I still had anxiety attacks. I eventually increased the dose which was hard on me and caused suicidal thoughts for about 3 days. I was on Lexapro for a total of 3 months and felt better but was still having some anxiety attacks. I decided to switch to Celexa 20 mg. I have been on Celexa for 3.5 months now. No anxiety attacks and able to do everything I did before. Unsure if this is due to time evolving since my trauma or the medication. I have a general sadness some days. I definitely am in a way better spot than 6 months ago. You don't always think you are getting better in the moment but if you look at the big picture and compare to how you felt 1 month ago/2 months ago etc you will notice improvements."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2019

"Started 5mg Lexapro for 2 weeks, and had pelvic pain for 4 days, and daily headaches. Tried 10mg, big mistake, felt awful all day, went back down to 5mg, for a few day, then 2.5 for a few days, now 2.5mg every other day, and will stop taking it. As I have migraines, insomnia, neck pain, and now a new diagnosis of primary cough headache, the neurologist suggested Amitriptyline. So I will try it after I'm done tapering off the Lexapro. I really wanted it to work, but I've been taking OTC meds for the headaches everyday which wasn't good."

sak9210 May 6, 2019

"I was diagnosed with Lexapro induced Toxic Encephalopathy and resulting dementia. These drugs are now linked to dementia and early death. The Medical and pharma system is currently being reviewed at this time. If you want to the study then just search "Increased Risk of Dementia in Patients with Antidepressants: A Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies""

Sam (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2019

"Do not take this rubbish drug. Made my anxiety 100 times worse. Restlessness, insomnia, all of it. Overall terrible drug and wouldn't wish the way I feel right now on my worst enemy. I pray I'll get better each day."

asfgjksqw (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2019

"Lexapro (cipralex) is effective for my social anxiety."

Amine (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 26, 2019

"I haven’t been on Lexapro long, but it has cured my insomnia within 7 days. I take 10 mg 4 hours before ideal bedtime. I haven’t had severe side effects - my side effects were: was waking mid-night the first few nights, had bad heart burn, digestive issues, and vomited once. All of those side effects went away fairly quickly. Stressed induced IBS went away/reduced within 1.5 weeks. Anxiety is reducing. Depressed feelings lifting. I feel a bit jittery ~60 minutes after taking but that may subside/is tolerable. Would highly suggest this medication, stick with it for a few weeks because initial side effects are normal. I have been told 1-2 months for full effects."

OhCanada (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2019

"Started taking lexapro at 10mg. Was than increased to 20mg. I can say it has help my depression a lot. I think that it gives me a bit of short term memory loss but this is great for anxiety (social anxiety) and depression because if I get vivid thoughts, I forget them fast and am able to concentrate on something else; this makes me able not keep bring up bad thoughts which was one of the biggest struggles for me. Amazing antidepressant I recommended it especially for social anxiety/generalized anxiety. I'm very happy with it. Only downfall is the side effects which only lasts the first 1-2 weeks."

dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2019

"I have had anxiety and depression since puberty (I am now 32). Over the years my depression has subsided and my anxiety gotten worse. I had always avoided antidepressants because I wanted to exhaust more holistic approaches before having to take a maintenance medication. Eventually it got to a point where I realized I was doing everything I could (exercise, eating well, meditation, drinking less, sleeping 7-9 hours a night) and was still suffering. My GP put me on 10 MG of Lexapro and I can absolutely say I am much better than I was before. My anxiety is significantly more manageable and I am definitely more confident. I did have side effects for the first 4-6 weeks (fatigue and night sweats) but they subsided and I think it was worth it. I am glad I finally made the decision to go on an antidepressant and for me, Lexapro was the right choice."

MuchBetter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2019

"Absolutely destroyed my stomach. When I eat just a carrot my stomach bloats to 3x it's normal size. I have a flat stomach and I'm fit so it isn't comfortable at all. It also hasn't helped with my PTSD, anxiety, or depression. I have felt no difference in my symptoms."

Della (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2019

"I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I started taking it to treat my worsening anxiety due to stress, school, family, etc. After a few weeks of taking it my anxiety was a lot better I was more calm, peaceful, etc. But I started becoming tired all the time and super unmotivated and lack of enjoyment in the things I once loved. Then I started realizing how much more depressed I was becoming. I am still taking Lexapro but now my depression is worsening I have suffered from depression in the past and while Lexapro has helped my anxiety it has made me extremely depressed."

mylifesamess (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2019

"Had terrible breathing that was a little bit of asthma but seemed a lot worse than it was, the breathing problems could last hours or multiple days at times and would come and go, sometimes would end up in full can't breathe panic attacks, actually thought it was anxiety because of this before a diagnosis. Had a chest x-ray, spirometry and bloods done to make sure there was nothing sinister and then put on Zoloft 50 mg, which I think may have been too much too quick, and this caused me to go into a near manic, panicked and upset state for about two weeks until I went back to the doctor and said that zoloft had taken a breathing anxiety condition to a crying, manic and nearly considering admitting myself state. He changed me to 20 mg Lexapro and I must say I began to settle. Give it at least 4 weeks people, be brave in the early days when you think you are losing it, it will get better, I thought I was going to lose it in the first weeks, it was a very dark time."

Jarmin March 26, 2019

"I have had generalized anxiety disorder for most of my whole life and always wanted to stay away from prescription drugs and always tried to reduce my anxiety with exercise, medetation, etc. it took me moving cities and having a few anxiety attack’s to try lexapro 6 months ago and ever since my life has been so much more calm and even. I still get anxiety sometimes but it’s a healthy amount and I don’t hardly worry about things that aren’t a big issue in my life. My only problem with the drug is the drowsiness and the crazy vivid dreams but otherwise it’s been great!"

Wy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 24, 2019

"I've had bad anxiety (mostly social anxiety) for as long as I can remember, and taking this medication has finally allowed me to function. I started on 5 mg I think, and the only annoying thing when I started was I was tired and yawning all the time, but once my body got used to it, it didn't make me tired anymore. I now take 10 milligrams, and I did try taking 15 because I still had depression, but at 15 it seemed like I was just getting side effects without added effectiveness. I'm going to be trying a different medication just because my depression has been kicking my butt, but this did work for my anxiety."

ade987 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 22, 2019

"STAY AWAY FROM LEXAPRO!! I started taking 5mg Lexapro 4 months ago. Starting the medication was rough, I experienced every terrible side effect it could offer. The worst was depression. I began Lexapro because of panic and anxiety, I’d NEVER had a depressed thought in my life before taking this. After 3 weeks, I started to feel a little better and my anxiety was under control. Fast forward to now - I am absolutely miserable! I’ve never had an issue sleeping and now I have extreme insomnia. My anxiety and panic attacks are back and worse than before. My head hurts, to the point of almost feeling like I have a brain tumor. I have zero motivation for life, which has made me a completely different person than I was before taking this medication. Taking Lexapro was the WORST decision I’ve ever made. Don’t risk it."

Julie (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2019

"I've been on 10mg for about a week for GAD. I didn't think it would work as I've always associated with anti-depressants with, well, depression, which I no longer suffer from. I've been using Ativan for breakthrough anxiety off and on for over ten years. It works great, but I have to wait for it to kick in after my body has already started going into panic mode, which can take up to an hour, and up until a week ago. I had been taking it almost every day because my panic levels have been through the roof. Thankfully, I haven't had to take any Ativan since I started on Lexapro. It literally started working from day one. I've been lucky so far as I've not had any of the adverse side effects that some people have, and I've slept like a baby since I started this medication, which is nuts because I haven't been able to sleep the whole night through in years. I'm hoping I won't have to be on this for the rest of my life, but I'm happy to be on it right now as it's already worked miracles."

Sabrina March 20, 2019

"Had lots of freak outs the first 3 weeks on lexapro for my anxiety. It was just my anxiety scaring me thinking anything that was happening to me was the medication. I was given this for my anxiety due to postpartum anxiety and also it may coincide with depression from my moms death 2 years ago . Anxiety caused me panic attacks which ceased to exist after about 1 month on it, worked better after 7 weeks . I’m able to get up out of bed , enjoy a movie ,laugh and organize things . I look back at these unrealistic worries I had and laugh at them now . I still have some off days but they’re not nearly as much as before .I was to paranoid to drink caffeine and now I’m drinking coffee again . Yes I had some funny phobias and I’m in a better place now . I give an 8 cause it has a couple minor side effects but nothing I wanna note since I know people with anxiety will be reading this and they’re not big deals. Lexapro 10 mg for 3 months now and yes it really works for anxiety. Generic version Escitalopram"

MommyOf3 March 18, 2019

"I have been on Lexapro for around 3 months. I keep waiting for it to get better. Lexapro is very effective against my anxiety, my stress level is way lower.. Lexapro make me a very calm person and more social. However, the side effects are the big problem that do not get better with time and with a reduce dosage. I can sleep for 12 hrs a day and woke up feeling drunk, headache, tired and nausea. I have tried reducing the dosage from 10mg to 7.5 then 5mg but to no avail, with the advice from my psychiatrist. I feel tired all the time with no motivation and Lexapro lower my metabolism, I gain 4kg after 3 months on this medication, I can tell that I feel less hot and sweat a lot less, that is why I am sure that it affected my metabolism. I believe that after 3 months of lexapro with several dosage changed and tried taking it in the morning or before bed, it has made no different with the serious side effect that I described earlier."

Anonymous March 9, 2019

"I have been on Lexapro for approximately 2 weeks and have already noticed a great improvement. Prior to taking the medication, I felt high levels of anxiety that would especially interfere with my ability to concentrate during class. The first few days, I experienced some insomnia and kept waking up frequently throughout the night. DON’T LET THIS STOP YOU FROM CONTINUING IT. The unpleasant side effect wore off very quickly. As of now, my level of anxiety has significantly decreased. I feel much more confident socializing and can finally concentrate. The ONLY problem is feeling very tired and lethargic, which I think is a much better alternative to feeling anxious all the time because you are at ease. I am glad I did not listen to the negative reviews even though I was very scared at first!"

MickeyMouse44 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

"My doctors just put me on Lexapro and I cannot believe how much better I feel. I had been on Xanax for years and no other doctor suggested I get off of this. I am 77 years old and he told me at my age it was serious. I do take 1 Xanax in the morning but I am going to get off completely soon. I have had trigger point pain since 2017 and it is hard to get treated for this. Have tried so many outlets and hope to try one more doctor for this pain."

Cinder (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2019

"I was so anxious to try this medication. I was on 5 mg for a week and then started ten mg after. Let me tell you. I would NOT have gotten through my breakup without this drug!!! It’s really made me SO much calmer. I just don’t care about some things anymore. I feel so much more at ease. My health anxiety is not bad at all anymore!!!!!!!! I love this medicine. Probably never going off. Thank you lexapro for making me feel sane and calm again!"

Worthit (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2019

"Lexapro is terrible for me. I have been switched from celexa after many years and at the high end of the scale 60mg daily. Having no problems at all, doctors changed me to lexapro, hate it. Agitation increase, dizziness that was so bad I could not move my head, anxiety increase, moody, snappy, not good. Called doc immediately put back on celexa. They claim they are the same med not in my experience."

nunya (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2019

"I suffer from anxiety and depression. I was in a bad car accident suffered a really bad concussion. Days after my car accident I had more anxiety and not sleeping and mood swings and wouldn't leave my house. I was afraid of everything. Everyone told me I have PTSD. So my dr told me to try this. It's my second day and I'm happy. I'm excited for tomorrow and I never was excited about anything. I was so depressed and thought I was worthless and ugly and I don't deserve anything. But I can say that lexapro has help me see things positive. I'm happy finally. I finally feel good again."

Km February 4, 2019

"Literally had one foot off the bridge. I have suffered from a heart arrhythmia that was causing me to just give up on life. I was on a beta blocker for it and the beta blocker intensified the depression. My two kiddos were the only thing keeping me in the game. No one of course knew this...but I was one foot off the bridge with my kids holding my other foot firmly planted. Then came lexapro. I had tried it a year or so before and gave up on it...too soon. Told my doctor I had to try something. It was like my body remembered the Lexapro I swear to God. About 10 days after taking it, it was like a switch flipped. I woke up feeling better. The heart arrhythmia stopped for the most part and the depression was almost lifted. I take 10mg daily. I would rate this a 20 if I could"

DadToTwo (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2019