User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"After years of battling depression, anxiety and insomnia I finally broke down and went to the doctor again. This time determined to ride out the horrible side effects and actually let it work. I didn't want to be on medication and most cause weight gain, which was a big part of why I fought it so long. But Lexapro was the right choice for me. Getting through the adjustment period was rough, but in about 3 weeks I was feeling notably better. Still on 5mg and will stay on this dose as long as possible. It has been 2 months and I have gained a couple pounds, but I have also been very undisciplined with my eating. Stick with it, good luck!"

Chrissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

"I was depressed because of my anxiety. I started taking Lexapro 9 weeks ago and feel the depression lifted, but going places (my trigger for the anxiety) is still there. My doctor tells me to hang in there. And I am. But I'm not sure it's helping with my anxiety. I rarely leave the house. I hope something switches soon. I need to take something for my anxiety and that alone. Lexapro works for depression part. Has anyone found a well-working medication for just anxiety? Because that is what I need."

Long-time sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

"I have just started my round of Auro-Escitalopram and I am on day 5 of my 5mg half-tab before going on a full 10mg tablet. I take my medication at night time. The first 3 days were sort of rough; I felt different. I could not put my finger on why but I felt a bit sedated, a little odd and definitely felt “drugged”. I had a mild headache, some dizziness and I felt like I was going to faint. My appetite has diminished, my stomach was upset, I am also gassy and had some dry mouth. The first 3 nights I was also met with mild restlessness and it was hard for me to sleep longer than 5 hours. I woke up at 3AM and was peeing like crazy. With that being said, the side effects have subsided somewhat after day 5 and I am starting to notice that I can start to control my racing thoughts. I get tired at bed time like a normal human being and I can finally wake up in the morning without feeling like a zombie."

LittleAnxiousOne (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

"I have started cipralex for the first time on 2013 and I was very tired suffering from severe anxiety causing me very depressed . My dose was 5mg for two weeks, 10mg for month 20mg for year then 10mg again and I stayed on 10 mg for 4 years and it was life saving. After that I decided to stop medication because I thought that I am well. It was 6 months after that that I had a severe relapse. I thought that this time I will not be able to survive again because I started again but for three month no relief, I was very tired and exhausted and drained out of any type of energy but I decided to stick with it reading reviews here. After 4months I started feeling some relief but not total well as the previous time. So I decided to do some tests with my doctor and he told that B12 level in my blood was only 73 and that was making me very depressed And when I took B12 medication it was like magic. I am alive again Cipralex start working."

Story September 8, 2018

"I was on this for 3 weeks and could feel it helping my anxiety, but it made me pee constantly and I was getting up 3-5 times every night to pee. Every single night. It was like my bladder was never fully empty. Obviously this was majorly affecting my sleep. It also gave me terrible gas, like the worst of my life. For these reasons, I had to stop taking it. I’m surprised I haven’t read more reviews with similar symptoms."

Kris10 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

"I started the medication due to panic attacks and anxiety. Initially I had much worsening anxiety and depression. I had improvement in anxiety symptoms after about 3 weeks. HOWEVER I was very ill and bedridden. My mind was calm but also I did not want to do anything. I didn't care about anything. I lost my car, my home, my job - everything because I didn't care! I was always sleepy and could sleep 14 hours straight. I had major sexual dysfunction at 26 years. I tapered off slowly after about 8 weeks. I was left with constant dizziness weeks after to the point that I fell down the stairs. Over a month after stopping, I'm doing well. No meds. Just making positive changes and counselling and trying to get back everything I lost in a couple of months on this med. I still have a little anxiety but I'm learning to control it. Gotta control it or it'll control you! I've learned that anxiety is like a bully. You have to confront it and not try to ignore it. Move TOWARD your fear! Slowly it will get better!"

tito August 29, 2018

"I have suffered from anxiety for a very long time and I always had stigma over taking medicine for it. As a 21 year old and a college student, I wasn't living my life like I should have been. I always stressing about EVERYTHING, I didn't sleep, I cried over every little inconvenience, I could never wind down and take a nap for example, I was always agitated, had rapid heart beat, and so much more. I wasn't living, I was suffering. I finally took the decision to take Lexapro and at first; the side effects weren't pleasurable I will say that. But after a week, they started going away and I could tell I was getting better. It is now about 6 weeks in or more, I can notice a huge improvement. I'm much more calm and I am so much happier. If you are on the fence on taking this medication, I would still do it and try. It has helped me and honestly, saved my life for the better."

nat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

"22 female. Diagnosed GAD for 4 years. I've been on 10mg Lexapro for about 10 weeks now. Anxiety mostly characterized by racing thoughts, over analyzing, and overthinking. The first two weeks I had increased anxiety, and nausea. I didn't feel anything until the full two months. Its not a significant change but it takes the edge off. I have more motivation, can recognize my trailing thoughts and compulsions and stop them before they spiral out of control. I don't feel the need to make a big deal out of certain situations. I feel like I have more control and that I am gaining my life back. My anxiety was focused on my relationship at the time I started (constant overanalyzing, creating problems that don't exist, worried about making mistakes) which eventually got to the point that it was effecting my work ability. I still have some anxiety which is GOOD because I want to be able to manage it on my own. I think a lot of it is the medication and my own personal work. Overall I am very satisfied"

Ray August 20, 2018

"I think it is working well at the moment but I am on kolopin also. I think it is for much for same problem lexapro 20 mg an kolopin is .05 at night. What do you think."

Dad1941 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

"There’s no need to be suffering. This medication is an anxiety GAME CHANGER. I’m on 10mg a day. I work out every day have not gained an ounce. 6 months later my sex life is thriving! When you feel better, you feel sexier. I’m 47 and shocked folks are having sex issues and weight gain. Get out there and grab life!"

Paula (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2018

"I'm making an update ( from my 5 week post) as I'm now approaching the two month mark on Lexapro. I am on 10 mg, and I'm feeling like a happier and less nervous wreck than I was 2 months ago. I feel motivated when I wake up, I'm back to working out again, I don't cry over senseless matters anymore, and I don't get angry over the smallest matters. I feel more comfortable going out in public again and holding conversations, whereas that felt impossible before starting Lexapro. I still have work I need to do outside of just taking Lexapro and expecting it to change my life, but it's given me the motivation to help myself and not feel miserable in the process. Only con I have at this point is occasional brain fog, but I've found that keeping a consistent sleeping routine and eating healthier has helped that a lot. I hope you all feel better soon and stay encouraged that recovery is possible! You will find what works for you! Be blessed."

Starry87 August 15, 2018

"After suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for around 25 years. The panic attacks were only getting worse. I couldn’t even have a conversation with another person without getting really anxious and having to leave the situation. I had to do something, I wanted my life back! My doctor prescribed me the generic brand 5mg. I didn’t want to take it because just like you reading this, the thought of taking it made me even more anxious. I started taking it July 29th. I am taking 2.5mg as of right now. I honestly felt more calm the first night I took it. The next day I just felt kinda foggy and tired. I am on day 4. It makes me nauseous, a little dizzy sometimes if I get up to fast, and it has given me gas, as well as feeling a little more anxious during the day at time. I take it at night around 9. I am going to stick it out and see what happens. I’m really hoping that this medicine is what I need to get my life back."

Staying positive (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

"24 years of age and I've experienced chronic depression, anxiety, OCD, and body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) for about the last 12 years. I have been on various medications and I can say that by taking Lexapro, I'm finally getting my life and self back. Before this medication, my OCD/BDD rituals and thoughts were consuming anywhere from 3-10 hours of my day. Since week 2 of this medication, the thoughts and rituals have been less and less. I'm on week 5, and I feel like it's helping more and more each day with anxious, obsessive thoughts and the down moods. I pray this medication continues to work for me, because I finally feel like I can be something and accomplish what I've always wanted for myself. I'm so grateful for this medication, and the very few side effects I experienced starting this drug (mild headaches, slight dizziness, and dry mouth). Overall, I'm very satisfied with this medication so far."

Starry87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

"This was the first medication I took for my anxiety and depression. When I talked to my doctor about my mental health before he prescribed this I was a lot more anxious than depressed. As I started taking it, it helped a lot. Not only I noticed a difference, but everyone around me also did, saying how much more outgoing I was, and I was. It helped with my anxiety and my depression wasn’t a big issue, but as I continued to take it, my depression slowly got worse and worse. I eventually stopped going to school and missed like 3 months worth of classes, being in college this was terrible, considering most classes only allow 3-5 absences for an entire semester. Needless to say, my grades went downhill causing me to fall deeper into my depression and never leave my house. Eventually I stopped taking it and while I’m still depressed and anxious, it’s not as bad as the Lexapro made it. So I’d say for anxiety, it was a great medication, but depression wise it was absolutely terrible."

km (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2018

"I am currently just over a week in and I haven't experienced anxiety like this since my nervous breakdown 3 years ago which I spent years building up a healthy mental state after. At first I started with a quarter of a pill, then went to 5mg, then had immediate horrible anxiety the next day! As I type this I am on my 4th pill of 5mg and LIFE IS AWFUL RIGHT NOW. I also have every damned side effect in the book! Thanks Lexapro, I lost 5 kilos thanks to your free weight loss program! I am consulting my doctor about the future of this med in my life, I don't care if people say you have to wait it out 3-4 weeks... I honestly don't see hope in that happening, and also you don't know whether it will WORK or NOT after that period... not worth the ANXIETY."

P_atrick (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

"Got almost every side effect and not one positive thing has come from it. The "stick with it" advice is rubbish for me, lexapro is a bad medicine."

Rick (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2018

"I resisted getting on medication for three years of suffering from major panic attacks after losing a baby. I wish I would’ve started earlier. This has helped me so much! The first two weeks sucked I have to admit, I felt worse. But after reading everybody saying stick it out I’m so glad I did. I started feeling better after a few weeks but it took a good three months to really feel balanced. I don’t get panic attacks anymore but I still get occasional anxiety here in there. I don’t feel like a different person at all and I want to add that I did not have depression so I don’t see a difference in that at all but that was not my problem, the anxiety was. I hope this helps somebody because I did a lot of reading before I started. I was so afraid to get on medication but again I want to add I wish I would’ve done it earlier. Nothing to be ashamed about. I’ve been on it for five months now."

MP (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2018

"Starting 4th week moved up from 5 to 7.5 and now my prescribed dose of 10mg. I’ve failed with others but think this may be the one to help with anxiety and panic attacks. I have noticed I am much better in some situations. The biggest problem so far is gas. Gas like I never thought possible. I mean big WHOMP gas. Sometimes I don’t ever know it’s there like standing up to get off the plane or reaching down at the water cooler. Hopefully that will pass soon."

Bobo (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

"I’ve been taking 10mg for just over a year now. It has REALLY helped my overall anxiety and mood swings from perimenopause. Getting started on this was VERY tough for me. The side effects were not very pleasant and I definitely felt worse before I felt better. Klonopin helped get through the first few weeks. I would say after probably 3 months ALL the side effects were gone and I didn’t feel like I was “on” anything, which was a relief! After the first 3 weeks or so MOST of the symptoms had greatly decreased/disappeared. I’m glad I stuck it out and continued taking it. It has been a huge help overall and I have very little anxiety about driving places that I am unfamiliar with like I was before. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there!"

Mom of 3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2018

"This drug made a new person of me. I had suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life and just never knew what it felt like not to be full of anxiety. When I turned 50 I went into a severe depression and elevated anxiety. I was started on this med while in the hospital. It took a couple of weeks to work but when it did it was like a miracle. I am so thankul. I have taken it for the past 13 years....."

Mo (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2018

"I have suffered from anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember, through a lot of ups and downs, I am finally feeling myself. This drug is amazing, I’m usually anti-med, and the only negative side effect of this drug has been on and off nausea. My anxiety has been significantly reduced, and my depression has also seemed to have subsided greatly! I would recommend giving cipralex a chance out of any other SSRI."

Kat June 19, 2018

"I started taking Lexapro a month ago. I felt it working right away, which I was told I wouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. I always had non stop leg shaking and my jaw would clench tight for the first week. Forget about sex!! ughhh that is why I am giving an 8, but I am just happy I don't have to cry every night over a box of crayons or be unfocused because the anxiety was so high."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2018

"I have tried this before and found some relief. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it blunts my emotions."

Ian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

"I've battled anxiety for 40 years and finally went on 10 mg lexapro. It works fantastic for me and after 9 months I weaned myself to 5mg a day. That was a mistake I had panic attacks more anxiety and so went back to 10mg today. I don't think I can ever stop taking it."

mick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2018

"I wanted to share my positive experience with you. I started taking Lexapro about 6 weeks ago. My anxiety months ago started to get away from me due to a family stress event. I have dealt with anxiety in the past so it’s not new for me but this time it was getting out of control. My worries were non stop and sleep wasn’t happening. So I started Lexapro beginning of April. By the 3 rd week I was getting good relief from my anxiety. By week 6 I was back to me. :) So hang in there. It takes time but it worked for me. And I very much hope it works for you. Anxiety is debilitating. And hard for others to understand. Good luck everyone. And say some prayers too. That will get you through. ❤️"

Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Anxiety