User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro

Stephen · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2019

"It helped with stress, but reduced sex drive and I lost feeling in my penis during intercourse."

DebHicks · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2019

"My doctor insisted that I take Lexapro for my anxiety. After only 27 days of 5mg doses I felt like I was going insane. The disgusting side effects were numerous including; excessive sweating, stomach cramps, dark thoughts, diarrhoea, sleeplessness, decreased sexual drive, confusion and irregular heartbeat. The withdrawal process has left me having scary panic attacks and paranoia. I wish I’d never heard of the drug and I will never go back to that doctor again. My life feels totally ruined from this drug and I have slurred speech and increased anxiety. Please avoid this."

Almond September 15, 2019

"I took Lexapro 5mg for 5 months for anxiety. I had no problem except first week being tired. Dr. then prescribed 10mg and I developed restless leg syndrome. I tapered off with no problem and the RLS disappeared. The doctor told me the problem was not from the Lexapro. Also, the weight gain was horrible. He also stated NOT from Lexapro. It is now two years later and had an incident in family and developed anxiety again. Back on the Lexapro 5mg. Well, let me tell you. I took it six days and stopped. I had racing heart, numbness in leg and so dizzy I almost hit the floor. Once again, doctor said this is not from Lexapro. I talked him into clonazepam for short term. He was reluctant but I am responsible and have done clonazepam in the past for short term. It is 0.5 daily for two weeks and then a short taper. We will see what happens. I will not do Lexapro again. Also, blood pressure was too high 144/88. I am checking it every day now. The latest reading was 117/78."

mike · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 14, 2019

"I had never understood that I had anxiety attacks until later in life, I honestly thought everyone was the same. I was diagnosed with anxiety and was prescribed Lexapro. Great results, OK, the sweating was an annoyance but I guess it cleaned my pores. I was lucky not to have any other adverse effects so a ten from me."

Kazi · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2019

"I have been prescribed Lexapro 10 mg for my anxiety , PTSD and panic attacks. I seen a huge improvement in my energy, mood after 3rd day. I was a drug user in the past. I thought I would mention this as the only side effects I experienced was abdominal pain in the first day. I believe my body tolerates everything better than someone who never used anything. Keep that in mind as its a good thing. The med is definitely effective and without it life becomes black and white. I have used it for a month and it does work. Some people may need more time some don't but stick with it. If there is a case where it doesn't help you. Change to other medication and don't suffer. Life is beautiful and you deserve to feel good and you will!!!!"

kam · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

"I’m on day four of Lexapro, and I feel like I’m going insane. I can hardly concentrate enough to write this review. I read up on the symptoms and was aware of all side effects before starting the med, but I had no idea it could be this bad. Feels like all the symptoms I were having prior to starting the med, increased x 10. I haven’t slept but 4 hours the past two days, I can’t complete my sentences, yawning like crazy, And I feel paranoid. Way worse than before. IDK if I should stick it out feeling like this or quit before it gets worse. Following up with my psychiatrist tomorrow."

Ishbol September 11, 2019

"I have panic disorder and anxiety and I have found Lexapro helping quite a bit. I have pretty hectic side effects. I have never had insomnia in my entire life and now can't sleep at all - feel very restless in the mornings in bed, have crazy vivid dreams - although I actually LOVE this haha its so fun, etc.) I was really impatient and wanted it to work straight away but I'm at exactly a month now and its only started to work last two weeks ish. I'm on 20mg. It helps with physical panic symptoms - I don't feel the prickles/tingles and sick stomach as much, nor have I felt panicked for a while actually, which is nice. I still have anxiety, especially because a massive anxiety symptom of mine is brain fog, so because I can't sleep, I feel very unclear and that gives me anxiety. (hard to explain). It also helps with worry - I don't find myself ruminating and overthinking everything as much."

brittanymaria423 September 5, 2019

"I began taking Escitalopram 10 mg in March 2019 and my dose was upped to 20 mg in June 2019. I have been taking it consistently for 5 months for general anxiety and depression and have definitely noticed a positive impact on my mood and anxiety levels. For the first two weeks, I experienced some side effects like a major panic attack and increased anxiety initially, nausea and fatigue along with constant yawning even when I wasn't tired. These side effects have since all disappeared. I have noticed that I still have some anxiety at times but it happens less often and when it does happen, it is easier to manage and doesn't get out of control. My mood has also improved and I do not experience the really low feelings that I used to experience and I have less intrusive and negative thoughts. I have also been attending therapy and find that this is helpful. I feel more in control of my emotions now."

Anonymous September 5, 2019

"I was put on 10mg once a day for anxiety and panic disorder. I took my first dose on empty stomach around 5pm about an hour later I noticed a strong sense of anxiety. I was not hungry for dinner. When I laid down to go to sleep later that night I noticed I was super restless ,like restless leg syndrome and taking my Ativan 1 mg and my Ambien didn’t even put me to sleep. I knew this was going to be hard but I told myself do what you need to and try to get through two weeks because it’s supposed to get better. I’m on day 4 or 5 and I finally went outside. It’s getting better. Not anxious 24/7 anymore my body is adapting. Still have muscle twitching and I’m only hungry rarely but I’m hoping it will improve. The headaches are subsiding the first three days were the worst in terms of headaches. I’m excited to see how I feel in a week this drug sucks hopefully it will be worth it"

GoHogs · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 27, 2019

"I started having really bad anxiety in college. Being away from home and not in a familiar place caused extreme anxiety to set in. To the point I couldn’t eat. I would immediately vomit if I ate. I would come home on the weekend, and I was fine. It was the weirdest thing. I thought I was crazy. After months of trying to deal with it myself, I talked to my doctor. He gave me lexapro 10 mg. I didn’t notice any effects for about a month, but I function completely normally now. My last 3 years of college were the best of my life and I made a ton of friends. I can promise without lexapro I wouldn’t have had the same experience at all. Don’t wait, just talk to your doctor."

DreadPirateRoberts August 22, 2019

"I took a single 10mg Lexapro dosage at around 9 am on a weekend. Immediately I noticed a loss of appetite, but it was manageable. It wasn’t until about 7 hours later that I noticed my throat felt like it was partially closed. After another 7 hours, I had one of the worst panic attacks of my life. I was sweating, chest pain, heart beating out of my chest, nauseous. Seriously considered going to the ER. I eventually fell asleep around 5 am and woke up around 9am with the exact same symptoms. Truly awful. The only good that came from it was that I was exhausted by nighttime, which led to some solid sleep over the span of 2 nights. Still, it took me at least a week to feel ‘normal’ again & that’s after only a single dose! The half-life in this medication is extremely long. My advice to anyone reading this with similar symptoms: Stay hydrated, get sleep (i know it’s tough but it’s a must) & try and eat! I will never take it again."

Hopeful August 19, 2019

"I've had anxiety since I was 12. Where I would have episodes of panic But never realized it was anxiety until about 5 months ago. Panic And anxiousness came suddenly but stuck this time rather then a couple days like the past. I suffered about 3 months where I couldn't even wake up without having an attack. I couldn't sit/ stand sleep I thought I was going crazy. Dr prescribed me Lexapro (escitalopram) . Been on for 6 weeks 10 mg. First 2-3 weeks only made everything worse but I stuck it out. Week 6 I'm starting to feel things calm down a bit. I hope it gets better everyday. Started Trazadone 3 days ago and I haven't woken up as panicky as I usually do. The first couple weeks on Lexapro made me nauseous more anxiety, weak, and it felt like my skin was on fire. But all of that subsided. I did go to the ER and that's when they gave me Ativan which made it possible for a couple days. But I don't take that anymore as it increased depression for me. Hang in there. I finally see some hope."

Nikky · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 18, 2019

"Lexapro has helped to take away the awful stomach stress l lived with for many years. I am now able to better manage my anxiety issues without extra intervention. I've only had positive experience with this medication. I have been taking 10mg for 8 years. And suffered from anxiety for 20 years prior to that."

Agirlwithadream August 15, 2019

"I've been diagnosed with anxiety and depression since 18. I haven taken almost every medication for anxiety and they didn't work - until I was given klonipin. I started the medication and it was working well until I notice my intake was going up I took klonipin for 3 years and if I didn't take it I would almost have a seizure. My anxiety was horrible I couldn't sleep couldn't go anywhere without having a panic attack. My heart will be racing as soon as I got up in the morning I thought I was literally going to dependent on klonipin my whole life. Until I got fed up and went to see another psychiatrist I told him what I was on and he told me he was going to prescribe me lexapro one a day 10 mg. The first two days I actually slept and the 3rd day I was feeling better. I didn't take klonapin, as bad as I wanted too I manage to stop it with lexapro. It has been a month and I've been on lexapro back to my normal self happy no panic attacks. I've been going places with out any fear I haven't touched those klonapin"

Tori · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

"Took 1 dose of 10 mg Friday night and just felt extremely sleepy. Saturday morning while doing my morning routine, I told my husband to take me to the ER. My skin was on fire, my thoughts and speech were delayed and I was shaking so much. ER doctor told me to stop taking it and there was no antidote or anything he could give me and for me to wait for the half life of the medicine which is 48 hours. After a few light bad days from my adverse effects, my panic attacks came back super intense. I thought everything was going to kill me and I stayed in my bed for weeks. Now on paxil and Xanax but still working on exact dosage, still working better for me than Lexapro."

finallyforsure · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2019

"Been on escitalopram for 8 weeks (51 yo woman). SUPER lethargic week 1 as I went from 5 to 10 mg. Urinary problems in week 2 only. No orgasm in week 3 and still now. Benefits crept up SLOWLY. First was PHYSICAL benefits in week 4: no more adrenalin rushes or heart palpitations and my body just felt really good (libido great despite lack of orgasm). This was huge but still no change in my thinking. Week 7, obsessive thinking and worry subsided noticeably. Start of week 8 it REALLY kicked in. I have clarity, a sense of calm, I smile a lot, I genuinely take time for others, my mind is not racing or jumbled with worry, I am willing to ask for what I want more confidently. Biggest thing: I am no longer on edge AT ALL. Still hoping for benefit to self-esteem & being more outgoing. Dr. will up me to 15 mg for this, but I will wait since I literally see improvement daily & I prefer lowest dose. I LOVE the change in myself! Patience & paying attention to little improvements is key!"

B · Taken for less than 1 month August 10, 2019

"Did one week at 5mg before being upped to 10mg, on day 7 I started with tingling and prickling in my legs, which then spread to my arms. Felt like I had rolled in nettles, did 5 days at 10mg before doing another 3 days at 5mg. Even though the tingling has worn off if it’s still there, I have also had horrendous indigestion and sinus congestion. I am on day 6 of stopping and feel like I have been hit by a bus. I have felt worse since being on these than I did before! Shame it didn’t work for me after hearing so many positive reviews. Also this drug is one of the worst for withdrawing off of, so be mindful of that before starting this medication."

Anonymous August 10, 2019

"Started taking escitalopram three years ago due to obsessive thoughts of very morbid kind. They would be stuck in my head for years until I was prescribed cipralex (escitalopram) 20 mg UK brand . I’ve been on medication for two years and then tapered off with minor side effects. I decided to quit because I have completely forgotten how it is to be my old self and I thought that it was not that horrible after all and I could handle it. Several months without cipralex and I was having horrible obsessive thoughts again. So now I am starting therapy again. Fingers crossed"

rehanbly · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2019

"It is a miracle drug!! I'm from india, I have been social anxiety and lack of concentration, low self confident etc. I'm afraid of this world, one day my doctor prescribed me lexapro 10 mg, and you know what??? On my first day I felt a difference and after 6 days I'm more confident, more talkative, have more self esteem, anxiety gone 95 percent, I feel more energy, now I' m not afraid of this world, I enjoy life and making new friends. I think all people on this planet take this drug even if they have any symptoms like I did. This drug make them complete, and side effects? No I don't have any except delayed ejaculation, which I think its ok coz it make my wife happy ;) and thanks to all, I pray for all u guys."

Optimistic · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2019

"Hang in there! I am a woman in my mid-fifties who has developed paralyzing anxiety over the last few years. It got to the point this spring where I couldn't go to work. My doctor prescribed Lexapro. I started at 10 mg, and he increased it to 20 mg after the first week. I had never taken any antidepressants before. It took time -- but it does work. Slow improvement. I am on week 9, and I finally feel like my old self. It is so difficult to think you will ever feel better. I know. But, it will get better! It may take time, but hang in there. The Lexapro has made a tremendous difference in the life. I hope it does for you as well."

NurseNelly July 31, 2019

"I have been on Lexapro 10mg 3x- most recently was Jan-May and then weaned myself off (under doctors supervision) over 6 weeks and had no problems with withdrawal. I have recently started back because of recent stress in my life (nasty divorce) which left me worrying constantly, debilitating anxiety, unable to sleep and/or eat. For me it’s the panic that’s horrible. So I started back on Lexapro 10mg 3 weeks ago today. The first 2 weeks were tough....it seemed to take longer to kick in this time and I actually referred to this site a dozen times to reassure myself that it would indeed start to work and it did! I did have the increased anxiety, loss of appetite (lost 10lbs in 2 weeks), the “internal shakes”, morning dread and insomnia for the first 2 weeks. I would say around day 10-14 I started to feel the meds taking the edge off and by day 18 I had almost no anxiety at all. Literally none. It’s so worth the wait if you can just hang in there through the first few weeks."

Lynn · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 28, 2019

"I took Lexapro for years. No one told me that it had side effects of hair loss. Upon doing my own research and going to several doctors and a dermatologist that told me there was nothing I could do I figured it out on my own."

Christine July 27, 2019

"I’m 51 and have been on 10 mg of lexapro for about 18 years and it has done wonders. I’ve been feeling some up tick in my anxiety and depression so the doctor upped my dosage to 15mg. It’s been a week now and the side effects are awful. I feel lethargic, sad, unmotivated, terrible head ache and have 0 appetite - I’ve lost about 10 lbs. in a week. I’m going to cut back to 10mg and hope these wicked side effects go away quickly, and deal with my anxiety differently."

Hq95 · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2019

"Hi guys, hoping someone can help. I was on 5mgs of generic Lexapro and still felt uneasy so after a week the doctor put me on 10mg. Been on 10mg for a week and a half and since yesterday I have felt horrible and struggle to find the motivation to do anything or go anywhere. I take it before bed and find it really hard to get out of bed in the mornings. Can someone please tell me is this normal and when will it settle down? I am back to work in 2 weeks and am so scared I wont be ready to go back - thanks guys :)"

Dawn · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

"I was suffering from horrible anxiety and panic attacks and I became agoraphobic. I hated it and being an owner of 5 businesses I had to have help. I actually came to this site and read all the reviews before I started. The first 2 weeks were tough but I was prepared because of the reviews. I had vertigo, a little increased anxiety, couldn't cry, and blurred vision. I started with half a dose the first week 5mg and then upped it to the 10 mg. But if you stick with this , I'm at a month and with behavioral therapy and lexapro...I'm living my life again and beginning to feel great again. I'm mad I waited so long to try it...its worked amazing for me but like I said you have to get through the adjustment period and at about 2 weeks things calm down and you start to feel more at peace. Good luck!!"

Learn more about Anxiety

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)