User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"I had been experiencing milder depressive symptoms for a couple of months, but then suddenly one morning I woke up with all the physical symptoms of a panic attack, which I'd never had before (never had any anxiety symptoms before), and symptoms persisted almost nonstop for 4 days until I could get in with my doctor. I wasn't having anxiety about any one specific thing, I just felt hopeless and like I'd lost control of my thinking. She prescribed me klonopin for immediate relief (big help) and the generic version of lexapro (10 mg) to actually address the problem in tandem with counseling. I'm only a week in but feeling LIKE MYSELF and so much better in general. Had some headaches and sleepiness/yawning in the first week but lessening now"

Allison G T July 26, 2016

"Lexapro has changed my life....I am an alcoholic who could never be in social situation without drinking...when I became sober I isolated myself from crowds, friends, working etc until I found lexapro which has cured me of my anxietities and I can now have a normal life without drinking. I'm the me I was before I started drinking and couldn't be happier. I also hear people say they've gained weight I have actually lost five pounds doing my normal activities and eating healthy "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

"I've been taking lexapro for about a year now and it seems to help a lot with my social anxiety. I don't think about nor care what people think as much as I used to. But it does make me kinda have like no emotion toward people's feeling & what not. Which is a downside. But I used to be afraid of big crowds. I wouldn't really want to be around people but at the same time I did because I wanted to have friends and be outgoing but it was extremely hard for me. Also I had like mild depression, always negative thoughts. But since I've been taking it it's definitely made me more positive and more friendly. Before I would always worry about everything and when I say everything I mean everything lol. With out it I do have bad withdrawal & it sucks."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

"I have only been taking Lexapro a few days, but I can tell a bit of improvement, but as of now I still get paranoid or to say anxious which makes me exhausted. And I'm not much on going around people a lot, just one on one conversations with a friend or relative. Hoping and praying it works like a lot of post here which are positive. Hoping to gain weight, for I'm at 113pds....when I was 130, Yea lost quite a bit of weight...the lexapro im hoping will give me a better appetite which I've read it does. This is an update on day 6, I slept full 8 hours and that was with getting off to sleep with help of xanax. But really feel better and have some energy and some of the worry is gone...and hoping to get better. Going to keep taking it."

robertestokley July 6, 2016

"My psychiatrist prescribed Lexapro to treat general anxiety, which it barely impacted, and since starting it 4 weeks ago I've become severely depressed and spend all day contemplating suicide. I don't know if it's entirely the medicine's fault, or if it even had anything to do with it, but it certainly hasn't helped me with anything, and I can't find anything online about it actually worsening depression instead of treating it."

Guy18 June 29, 2016

"Lexpro is the best medication. I had no life befor Lexpro. I used to suffer for 8 years from anxiety and panick attacks. I was always scared from anything. The doctor asked me to try Lexpro I was so afriad of medications, I thought medications would never help me. I used think that I will help my self to stop thinking about it. I thought they were all thoughts in my mind and I have to change them I used to get panick attacks everday when I'm sleeping. I would recommend anyone to try this medication because this medication will safe your life if you have anxity I have been 10 mg for months then 15 for 2 months and 4 months for 20 Mg and am still taking it. And I will never stop taking it"

Baraag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016

"I have extreme anxiety and major depression. For me, all SSRI's, SSNRI's make me feel extremely weird. Almost as if my body feels "too good" but not in a good way. The only way to describe it is like jolts of electric shocks throughout my body that feel good. Also when I yawn or take a deep breath my teeth start to chatter. It also creates extreme erectile dysfunction for me to the point where it burns when I urinate. Unfortunately these are symptoms I cannot put up with, even though it does work."

Foxtrotz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

"After months of cbt with my psychologist for severe anxiety and panic disorder i decided to seek help from a psychiatrist. I was perscribed 5mg then 10mg of lexapro to start and it gradually incresed to 20mg. In the first few days i had never felt worse. More frequant and severe panic attacks and my general anxiety went through the roof and i had the most extreme feeling of hopelessness. I was a mess and calling my drs telling them i needed to stop taking it. They reassured me these side affects would go away within weeks, and they did. I continued with the cbt, mindfullness, lifestyle changes and stayed on the lexapro and within months i felt i was back to my normal self. Post like these kept me going. Hang in there, you're not alone!"

El441 June 21, 2016

"Started Lexapro 2006 for acute anxiety & depression. Within days I felt a shroud of darkness lift. After 12 months I felt it was changing me into a person with less emotions, so I went off it. Within a few weeks I felt a sharpness and sensitivity that had been missing but, any negative occurrences gave me intense anxiety. In late 2008 the GFC hit me hard. I was paralyzed with fear and had thoughts of suicide. In desperation I went back on lexapro and again, all the anxiety and fear went away. After a couple of years I went off it again and felt reasonably OK. Issues in 2013 caused me to attempt suicide. I survived and went back on Lexapro. I may have less emotions, but I can now deal with life. Strangely, It also fixed my AF heart condition"

kymbo58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2016

"I've been on lexapro for months now but recently i have been experiencing bad nausea at night only. Im thinking about switching if it doesn't stop (night 3)"

lozzz June 15, 2016

"I've been on lexapro for five days now and I've never felt more anxious in my life, I haven't been eating and when I do eat nothing stays in my stomach long, my sleeping has been a nightmare, maybe 5 hours a night if I'm lucky, and I'm shaky all through the night and partially through the day, I feel like I'm going crazy but I keep reading reviews that side effects are awful then subside and the medication is great, I'm just really feeling like I'm losing it here"

Sara478 June 10, 2016

"Hi Everyone, I am a 22 yr old female and I have been on 10mg of lexapro for 2 weeks now and I thought I'd share my experience although everyone will react to medication differently. The first three days were awful. Nauseous to the point where I could barely move, terrible headaches, incredible hunger, yawning constantly and waking up all through out the night. On the 4th day most the side effects just stopped. Mostly the headaches and nauseous feeling. You really have to push through the initial side effects. All the racing thoughts immediately stopped, I am so much more calm, no more mood swings, social situations no longer bother me, I am just generally happier. I will also mention that I had none of the sexual side effects."

Stacijane7 June 10, 2016

Stacijane7 June 9, 2016

"I use to get in fights all the time!! My doctor prescribed Lexapro and I haven't been in a fight in 2 straight days."

Fightin 50th June 9, 2016

"I've had panic and anxiety really bad for 18 years. Some days where ok and other days where terrible . I forgot really what normal felt like. In 2012 it just got worse. Panic attacks every day. I couldn't control it no more. I broke down and seeked help. My Dr put me on lexpro. I was super scared at first to take it because of all the storys on the internet about it. I had a few side effects, but nothing to bad. Best thing I ever did. Been on lexpro for over two years now and not one single panic attack. I feel like a totally normal person, it's great. My life improved 100%, and that's no lie."

BillH71 June 7, 2016

"I am updating my last 8 star review of a week or 2 ago below in thread. Update: The sleep disruption/insomnia (oftentimes waking 2-4 am and not getting back to sleep) subsided after 3 weeks of starting the generic form of Lexapro (on 10 mg for almost a month). I am sleeping well again without assistance from Xanax. I haven't taken X in 5 nights and sleeping my usual 7 hours. It's wonderful. No anxiety either. Give this drug a chance if you can stick out the sleep problems. It works. I feel myself again and am not worrying over worrying about anxiety. Not afraid to go anywhere, for fear I'd get that old sense of dread and unease. I don't even think about it. It doesn't matter the time of day you take it by the way."

BeeBee888 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

"Due to my increasing anxiety and panic attacks I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg. During the first few weeks I became very sensitive and would nearly cry over simple things like a customer saying "please don't put this item in the bag with that item...". I had very high blood pressure, bad headaches, rapid heart beat, I would feel weak and my body would start shaking (especially my hands). One time I even thought I was having a minor heart attack. I decided to ween off Lexapro and change medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

"Last summer I was prescribed lexapro under the name Liberium for my anxiety and depression. I was told to take 10mg once a day, but to ween myself onto it by taking half a pill a day for a week or two. Most of my time on Lexapro was blurry; I couldn't remember a lot. People around me could tell that I wasn't right. I stumbled a lot, slurred my words, and generally felt very irritable. My anxiety was through the roof but I had absolutely no depression. When coming down from the med, about 3 hours before the next dose, I literally couldn't move. Coming off of the med one day gave me a panic attack and what was diagnosed as a pseudo-seizure: non epileptic seizing while remaining completely conscious. I was taken away by force by ambulance."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2016

"I first started lexapro when I had a massive panic attack in October 2015 it came out of no where and after seeing doctors they disagnosed me with health anxiety.. I'm a mum of 2 and I'm always constantly worrying if I have cancer or if that niggle in my leg was something bad... After my panic attack j was put on 2.5mg and the first week was horrible.. Nauseous, feeling Crap and solo tired... After that I started feeling so much better. I'm not on 15mg and very happy.. I started letting anxiety rule me life and it was turning me into someone I wasnt.. I've always been scared of the stigma of having to me on medication to get me through life however if it helps me be a happier person and a better mum then I'm more then happy with my decision"

Mumwhoseekedhelp May 27, 2016

"Started Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10 mg taken at 8:00am 2 wks ago for anxiety and mild agoraphobia due to worry over having an anxiety attack-a tsunami of nervousness would overwhelm me and make me fearful and filled with unease. I was always worried about why this was happening to me out of nowhere. And I avoided going to places I once enjoyed. After day 12 a switch flipped. I felt myself again, happy, easy going, not worried, not anticipating something bad was going to happen. What I cannot handle is the sleep disruption this drug has caused. Waking at 3, 4 am and unable to get back to sleep. Dr. prescribed .50 mg Xanax, which is helping me through this side effect. Hopefully it will subside when my body adjusts to the serotonin levels"

BeeBee888 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

"All I can say is WOW! After the birth of my son, I developed insomnia and anxiety. I placed a lot of pressure on myself to get enough sleep and the result was not being able to sleep. In addition, I have very high expectations of myself. I work from home and was studying at the time. From this, I caused so much anxiety for myself to the point where I couldn't control my thoughts and feelings. I was prescribed Zoloft which probably made me more anxious and I was on that for a year. My GP switched me to Lexapro 4 months ago. On this med I feel like a different person. Happy, no anxious thoughts, I am sleeping like a log and am dreaming! I haven't dreamt in years and it's lovely! I have had no side effects on this drugs :)"

Brmm May 25, 2016

"Hello all , my esperience with lexapro is very good , first of all i head extreme panic attack all days , extreme anxiety extreme weaknes . After one week of taking i feel more powerfull no panic attacks but anxiety is still there i hope in few weeks anxiety will be gone"

Gango May 25, 2016

"Been on this for roughly 3 weeks. I started taking 10 mgs but I'm currently only taking 2.5 mgs. The first week was a lil bad. I took at night and the med kicked in in like 3 hours. I couldn't sleep, had increased anxiety and it upset my stomach. I cut down to 5 then 2.5. Now I'm fine, panic attacks are pretty much gone (before I was getting them daily sometimes even 2 or 3 times). The attacks were starting to interfere with work n life n I had to get some help. I tried working out n eating better but it wasn't helping. This works but it takes time. Also, I take this in the mornings with food. It gives me energy so taking at night wasn't good for me bc it would keep me up. Start with a low dose so your body gets used to it."

NesaNes May 22, 2016

"I was told by my psychiatrist to try lexapro 10 mg for my anxiety. I have tried other medications in the past to help with it like Wellbutrin and Zoloft. They didn't help at all I got side effects right away like nausa,headaches and dizziness. So I was hoping that lexapro would help where the others didnt. I kept a positive attitude in hopes that it would make me have less anxiety. I took my first pill and 2 hrs later I felt so nauseous that I had trouble standing up without wanting to vomit. Then I starting feeling like my scalp was on fire. Also parts of my skin felt like it had a burning sensation. It didn't go away for the rest of the day. The next day I tried again and the same thing happened I wondered if with EDS if I can't take it"

Abra0517 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

"My mood improved significantly with Lexapro. No anxiety or panic attacks whatsoever. However after about a week on it, I had severe diharrea. I literally was afraid to eat."

Steven1970 May 19, 2016