User Reviews for Lexapro

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"I am back to write an update on my almost 5 month journey on Lexapro. I am feeling great, and have a lot of positive things to say. I am starting back nursing school (to specialize in psychiatry, of all things!) this January after quitting due to my mental breakdown. I am back to working fulltime. I'm calm, and feel mentally able to achieve what I want in my life. The OCD rituals are a bare minimum now, and the horrible mood swings I had before starting Lexapro have almost completely disappeared. My anxiety and depression once had me homebound, and now I'm leaving my house 4-6 days a week, and I enjoy being out again. I'm 24 and have struggled with mental health problems since the age of 12, and thought I was doomed for life. Your life can turn around for good, so don't give up on yourself. Prayers for you all that you find happiness and live your lives to your fullest potentials. Be blessed."

Starry87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

"I was very hesitant to try any medicine for my persistent anxiety and low grade depression (30+ years of drudgery). I finally "called uncle" when it was clear that I would literally not make it through without additional help. I went to the doctor and balled my eyes out as she listened patiently. She started me on 10mg which made things worst for about 2 weeks and then kicked in nicely. I felt sooooo much better. I asked the doctor to increase my dose to 20mg which she agreed to to do. There was an immediate change for the better and now after about a month on 20mg I am feeling almost no anxiety or depression. An amazing drug! Side effects are sleepiness and some loss of libido. The list of good effects are too long to list. Increased patience with the kids. Being a better husband in so many ways. I feel like I am more in control of my life instead of always trying to avoid things that were uncomfortable. I recommend Lexapro!!"

TheNervousSuit (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2018

"I started taking lexapro (10mg) for anxiety and depression. This drug took effect quickly and I felt more hopeful within the first week. After a few days I had this false sense of elation, but I eventually evened out. I was less emotional, less moody, more focused. There were ZERO side effects.... until about three months in. My hair began falling out in massive clumps. I had visible bald spots and would wear my hair up in a bun to avoid the humiliation of having handfuls of hair fall out. After about 9 months and 40% hair loss I stopped taking this medication, with the assistance of my doctor. It was only five months later when most of my hair grew back, but so did my anxiety. I started lexapro again and felt amazing until about four weeks in when my hair starting falling out again I stopped taking the drug again. My doctor and I are still working to find the right rx for me. the side effect of hair loss is very rare. I highly recommend this medication."

Crissy October 27, 2018

"I really hope that my review can help someone out there. Even if it only helps one person, it will be worth it to me. I just had my first child in the month of April and about 3 months later, I noticed something was different. I was scared to leave the house and even the most simple tasks seemed overwhelming. My thoughts were racing, I would pace back and forth, and I was having multiple panic attacks. I wanted to call the emergency room because I thought I was losing my mind! After suffering for a month, I spoke to my doctor and she prescribed me 10MG of Lexapro. I had every side effect including upset stomach, hot flashes, going to the bathroom constantly, insomnia, mood swings, shaky hands, loss of appetite, and nausea. After 3 weeks, my side effects are almost gone! My appetite is back, I don't have panic attacks anymore, and I'm not scared to leave the house! Please be patient with this medication. It takes 3-4 weeks to even BEGIN to be effective!"

Godspeed October 25, 2018

"It should be in the drinking water. I've been on lexapro for 3 years. In the beginning, I had very very vivid dreams (loved that part), but it didn't last long. I made the mistake of drinking alcohol, which really, really didn't mix well with me. It made me even more extreme in my thoughts, plans, compulsions. Once I put the wine away for good, I slowly woke up and something snuck up on me: peace. I just don't experience the irrational worry and fear anymore. I don't want to yell and scream anymore. The world is a better place now."

Rett (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 23, 2018

"This worked well for my anxiety (mostly social anxiety) that I've had all my life. It didn't work as well for depression, though. I'm on 10mg and I tried a higher dose at one point but it made me too tired. But for anxiety 10mg is enough. The only reason I'm thinking of changing is for something that helps my depression better."

ade987 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2018

"People!! It takes about 4-6 weeks to work!!!!! Don’t write a review when the drug has not settled and began to give you the therapeutic benefits yet! 2-3 weeks into taking it, I felt rubbish, worst anxiety of my life, then pop, after about 4-5 weeks I feel the best I have felt in YEARS. I feel relaxed, calm and ready to take on the world, live my life like a normal person. I’ve suffered extremely bad anxiety, stress and panic attacks for over a decade, finally decided to try a regular medication, not just take a Xanax when I feel it coming on. This medication I understand may not work for everyone, but at LEAST if you can, give it 6 weeks and commit to it if you’re going to try it. Changed my life. I will say tho, the first month was bad anxiety, headaches, naps in the afternoon and just horrible. Prescribed Xanax to deal with the side effects for the first few weeks, then once it settles, no side effects, just a calm and peaceful mind. Thank you."

Just giving my opinion (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2018

"I took 15mg in 2014 for over half a year. It did not do a thing against my anxiety it even caused me to "not being interested in people" anymore, unable to receive love, unable to feel my surroundings. It destroyed my: sleep (10 hours wasn't enough). My muscles got destroyed and I felt very weak till this day I'm not fully recovered. It caused heavy brain fog (till this day not fully disappeared... "

Elite_Gamer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2018

"I started taking Lexapro 5 mg everyday for 3 weeks. At a very low dose my anxiety was unbearable by the end of the third week. It might work for some just not for me. I am on Buspirone now just started it today so no feed back yet."

Ryon (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2018

"I have been on Lexapro 5mg (7 days at beginning) and upped to 10mg almost two weeks ago (for depression and anxiety) Straight away I had very vivid dreams and dry mouth, when I upped to 10mg I became increasingly anxious and emotionally unstable I am not able to stop crying and panicking at every situation. My paranoid racing thoughts were uncontrollable and disturbing, making me think all my close friends and family were turning against me (prior to medication my anxious thoughts often surrounded the idea that nobody loved me and were only pretending) Just wondering how long this side effect will last as it’s really negatively impacting my life and overwhelming me and ruining my relationship and self esteem"

angstandparanoid (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2018

"I have been taking this a few months. The 10mg worked well for anxiety and depression but eventually the 10mg wasn't enough so I was moved to 20 which helped for a bit but stopped and my energy was extremely low on the 10mg and 20mg. So we moved in a SNRI which helped a lot and just upped the dose of that. I do have to say lexapro works very good for anxiety. No other side effects besides being tired but some people don't get that."

Sadgirl1989 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

"I never had an issue with anxiety until I turned 26. It was like a switch went off in my head and I had a panic attack that ended up with me in the ER. I had no idea what was happening to me. I didn't want to go on medication because I was ashamed that I couldn't cope by myself. Eventually I broke down and decided I was going to lose my job, house, and life if I didn't get some help. The first few weeks of Lexapro were horrible, but listen to me when I say to stick with it. I had every side effect in the book and felt like I had the flu for three weeks. I am now on week 10 and have never felt better. I finally feel like my old self again and I can honestly say that this medicine saved me! I pray for everyone suffering from this disease. Know that you WILL get better. God speed my friends."

dani September 20, 2018

"I have been on Lexapro for nine days. I was on Prozac only five before that. I have been very queasy or nauseated ever since I started the SSRI’s. It’s mainly the first half of the day. At night it tends to go away. Has anyone experienced this with these drugs and will it subside at some point. Is there anything to help with the nausea I have tried several things. Every day is so hard when you are sick all day, I also tremble in my hands unless I take Klonopin which I try not to use much. Thanks for any help."

gtwhit September 19, 2018

"After years of battling depression, anxiety and insomnia I finally broke down and went to the doctor again. This time determined to ride out the horrible side effects and actually let it work. I didn't want to be on medication and most cause weight gain, which was a big part of why I fought it so long. But Lexapro was the right choice for me. Getting through the adjustment period was rough, but in about 3 weeks I was feeling notably better. Still on 5mg and will stay on this dose as long as possible. It has been 2 months and I have gained a couple pounds, but I have also been very undisciplined with my eating. Stick with it, good luck!"

Chrissy (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

"I was depressed because of my anxiety. I started taking Lexapro 9 weeks ago and feel the depression lifted, but going places (my trigger for the anxiety) is still there. My doctor tells me to hang in there. And I am. But I'm not sure it's helping with my anxiety. I rarely leave the house. I hope something switches soon. I need to take something for my anxiety and that alone. Lexapro works for depression part. Has anyone found a well-working medication for just anxiety? Because that is what I need."

Long-time sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

"I have just started my round of Auro-Escitalopram and I am on day 5 of my 5mg half-tab before going on a full 10mg tablet. I take my medication at night time. The first 3 days were sort of rough; I felt different. I could not put my finger on why but I felt a bit sedated, a little odd and definitely felt “drugged”. I had a mild headache, some dizziness and I felt like I was going to faint. My appetite has diminished, my stomach was upset, I am also gassy and had some dry mouth. The first 3 nights I was also met with mild restlessness and it was hard for me to sleep longer than 5 hours. I woke up at 3AM and was peeing like crazy. With that being said, the side effects have subsided somewhat after day 5 and I am starting to notice that I can start to control my racing thoughts. I get tired at bed time like a normal human being and I can finally wake up in the morning without feeling like a zombie."

LittleAnxiousOne (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

"I have started cipralex for the first time on 2013 and I was very tired suffering from severe anxiety causing me very depressed . My dose was 5mg for two weeks, 10mg for month 20mg for year then 10mg again and I stayed on 10 mg for 4 years and it was life saving. After that I decided to stop medication because I thought that I am well. It was 6 months after that that I had a severe relapse. I thought that this time I will not be able to survive again because I started again but for three month no relief, I was very tired and exhausted and drained out of any type of energy but I decided to stick with it reading reviews here. After 4months I started feeling some relief but not total well as the previous time. So I decided to do some tests with my doctor and he told that B12 level in my blood was only 73 and that was making me very depressed And when I took B12 medication it was like magic. I am alive again Cipralex start working."

Story September 8, 2018

"I was on this for 3 weeks and could feel it helping my anxiety, but it made me pee constantly and I was getting up 3-5 times every night to pee. Every single night. It was like my bladder was never fully empty. Obviously this was majorly affecting my sleep. It also gave me terrible gas, like the worst of my life. For these reasons, I had to stop taking it. I’m surprised I haven’t read more reviews with similar symptoms."

Kris10 (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2018

"I started the medication due to panic attacks and anxiety. Initially I had much worsening anxiety and depression. I had improvement in anxiety symptoms after about 3 weeks. HOWEVER I was very ill and bedridden. My mind was calm but also I did not want to do anything. I didn't care about anything. I lost my car, my home, my job - everything because I didn't care! I was always sleepy and could sleep 14 hours straight. I had major sexual dysfunction at 26 years. I tapered off slowly after about 8 weeks. I was left with constant dizziness weeks after to the point that I fell down the stairs. Over a month after stopping, I'm doing well. No meds. Just making positive changes and counselling and trying to get back everything I lost in a couple of months on this med. I still have a little anxiety but I'm learning to control it. Gotta control it or it'll control you! I've learned that anxiety is like a bully. You have to confront it and not try to ignore it. Move TOWARD your fear! Slowly it will get better!"

tito August 29, 2018

"I have suffered from anxiety for a very long time and I always had stigma over taking medicine for it. As a 21 year old and a college student, I wasn't living my life like I should have been. I always stressing about EVERYTHING, I didn't sleep, I cried over every little inconvenience, I could never wind down and take a nap for example, I was always agitated, had rapid heart beat, and so much more. I wasn't living, I was suffering. I finally took the decision to take Lexapro and at first; the side effects weren't pleasurable I will say that. But after a week, they started going away and I could tell I was getting better. It is now about 6 weeks in or more, I can notice a huge improvement. I'm much more calm and I am so much happier. If you are on the fence on taking this medication, I would still do it and try. It has helped me and honestly, saved my life for the better."

nat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2018

"22 female. Diagnosed GAD for 4 years. I've been on 10mg Lexapro for about 10 weeks now. Anxiety mostly characterized by racing thoughts, over analyzing, and overthinking. The first two weeks I had increased anxiety, and nausea. I didn't feel anything until the full two months. Its not a significant change but it takes the edge off. I have more motivation, can recognize my trailing thoughts and compulsions and stop them before they spiral out of control. I don't feel the need to make a big deal out of certain situations. I feel like I have more control and that I am gaining my life back. My anxiety was focused on my relationship at the time I started (constant overanalyzing, creating problems that don't exist, worried about making mistakes) which eventually got to the point that it was effecting my work ability. I still have some anxiety which is GOOD because I want to be able to manage it on my own. I think a lot of it is the medication and my own personal work. Overall I am very satisfied"

Ray August 20, 2018

"I think it is working well at the moment but I am on kolopin also. I think it is for much for same problem lexapro 20 mg an kolopin is .05 at night. What do you think."

Dad1941 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

"There’s no need to be suffering. This medication is an anxiety GAME CHANGER. I’m on 10mg a day. I work out every day have not gained an ounce. 6 months later my sex life is thriving! When you feel better, you feel sexier. I’m 47 and shocked folks are having sex issues and weight gain. Get out there and grab life!"

Paula (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2018

"I'm making an update ( from my 5 week post) as I'm now approaching the two month mark on Lexapro. I am on 10 mg, and I'm feeling like a happier and less nervous wreck than I was 2 months ago. I feel motivated when I wake up, I'm back to working out again, I don't cry over senseless matters anymore, and I don't get angry over the smallest matters. I feel more comfortable going out in public again and holding conversations, whereas that felt impossible before starting Lexapro. I still have work I need to do outside of just taking Lexapro and expecting it to change my life, but it's given me the motivation to help myself and not feel miserable in the process. Only con I have at this point is occasional brain fog, but I've found that keeping a consistent sleeping routine and eating healthier has helped that a lot. I hope you all feel better soon and stay encouraged that recovery is possible! You will find what works for you! Be blessed."

Starry87 August 15, 2018

"After suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for around 25 years. The panic attacks were only getting worse. I couldn’t even have a conversation with another person without getting really anxious and having to leave the situation. I had to do something, I wanted my life back! My doctor prescribed me the generic brand 5mg. I didn’t want to take it because just like you reading this, the thought of taking it made me even more anxious. I started taking it July 29th. I am taking 2.5mg as of right now. I honestly felt more calm the first night I took it. The next day I just felt kinda foggy and tired. I am on day 4. It makes me nauseous, a little dizzy sometimes if I get up to fast, and it has given me gas, as well as feeling a little more anxious during the day at time. I take it at night around 9. I am going to stick it out and see what happens. I’m really hoping that this medicine is what I need to get my life back."

Staying positive (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Learn more about Anxiety