User Reviews for Lexapro

Learn more about Lexapro.

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety

"Follow up on review posted over a year ago: I have just successfully quit Lexapro with a very slow 6 month taper. I took 10-15 mg for panic for one year, then started taper. Wanted to advise to taper ON this med as well as off! My Dr. had me jump right on at 10 mg and the first 3 weeks of adjustment was horrible...by contrast my taper off was a breeze because it was very gradual. Lexapro worked for me and I would take it again if ever necessary!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug -super small dose - has changed my life. I have been a nurse for 26 years. My stress and anxiety levels were at the max! I just wanted to sleep on my days off and I did not want to socialize. I was easily overwhelmed and worried constantly. I was just awful. I started lexapro at 10 mg and it was too much ! I backed down to 5 mg and the first 3 weeks were hell. I felt out of body - exhausted but could not sleep - it was just an awful three weeks. After reading many reviews to hang in there --- that's what I did. Around week 3-4 - I adjusted. I felt like my worries rolled off my back, I wanted to do things, I felt more energy than I had in years, I was laughing and finally listening to people did not annoy me! Hang in!!"

Stephanie 1970 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Anxiety lifer here. My demon has gotten cruel in the past few years by manifesting itself in severe premature ventricular contraction (PVC's) every time I start to leave the house or get in a slightly stressful situation. After a massive panic attack on a flight home from London to DC, I decided I had enough. I told my GP I want to go back on Lexapro. Like every other time, Lexapro works almost immediately for me - my PVC's and agoraphobia have muted drastically on only 5mg a day! Yes there is slight weight gain and potential sexual side effects but I'll take those over the other stuff any day. It's cliche but I do feel like I have my life back. I even ventured out for a run around the city tonight with zero PVC's. Sucks being on a drug but I'm ok with it today."

CorbettTheFirst June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on month 2 of starting Lexapro. I was on Celexa for 4 years top dose and the benefits were declining for me so my physician prescribed 20 MG of Lexapro to start with. Initially I had no side effects the first month. Now am finding that I have been having night sweats, strange vivid dreams and all of a sudden bad acne on my face and neck that I never really had before other than the occasional PMS breakout. My energy level has been wonderful as I was really starting to feel exhausted all the time for no reason while on Celexa and my attention span had dramatically increased since starting Lexapro as I used to have trouble keeping attention."

Orrwhat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having horrible anxiety attacks, panic attacks and was border line manic. I was going through a lot of stress and hit my limit. My family urged me to see a Dr who started me on 2.5 lexapro for a week then up to 5 mg the week after. I stayed on 5 mg for 1 month seeing improvements. Eventually I decided to bump up to 7.5 which I'm currently on . I still get anxiety but I am able to feel in control. I don't have attacks anymore. I'm sleeping better and eating again. Side effects only lasted the first month . I got really tired 20 min after taking it , drowsy, night sweats. Make sure to take it with a snack, I find it hits the stomach like a rock. Over all has given me my life back. And I don't feel like I'm on medication."

Christine2425 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My anxiety peaked 6 years ago. Not only did I dread social interaction of any kind (talking to co-workers, going out with friends, even being around my own family) but I had experienced a panic attack on the freeway which kept me from driving anywhere far from my home for two years. I was extremely stubborn and didn't want chemicals to "change" my reality. I finally had to admit to myself that my reality sucked - bad. I'm overjoyed to report that Lexapro saved me. It took a month for me to realize I was greeting people in passing again. I drive on the freeway again and love being around people. Stick with it even if you feel "weird" at first. You CAN have your life back! I take it at night, the initial drowsiness helps me sleep."

MizLiss17 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Lexapro for maybe 1.5 years, and this drug has worked pretty well in reducing my anxiety and depression. I started on 10mg which may have helped a tiny bit, but I still felt awful. A month or two after having my dose increased to 20mg, I started to feel better. Lexapro helped me lift myself out of my ~6 month long period of anxiety and depression, but I wasn't "cured." I still have mental issues which I need to work on. In terms of side effects, there were almost none. I got headaches right when I started and also after going on 20mg, but they only lasted a few days. I also find my long-term memory is a bit worse, and time seems to fly by faster. Oh, and it's super cheap if you can get the generic version."

Tobey L June 15, 2017

"extreme increased anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"excellent med if you are afraid of side effects, had none. used for 10 yrs until stopped working. was on celexa also for 10 yrs excellent med for no side effects .both Lexapro and Celexa are excellent for treating mental disease. avoid ZOLOFT was on for two weeks my brain was in another dimension , made anxiety worse. now its hell on earth for me looking for another ssri. clonzepam is excellent for anxiety no side effects. docs wont prescribe it for me."

Anonymous June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A year ago I had a major health scare that turned out to be fine in the end, but I ended up crashing, developing severe insomnia, severe anxiety, muscle twitches all over, major joint pain, brain fog and finally a depression. I resisted taking drugs as I thought I was going to get lots of side effects. I tried everything under the sun; yoga, meditation, acupuncture, tinctures, craniosacral therapy, psychotherapy, kinesiology etc. My psychiatrist and GP both strongly recommended I should take Lexapro. When I started pondering why I was living I started taking the meds. I started sleeping better and after some weeks the worst dread was gone and so was the anxiety. After 2 months I feel MUCH better and I hardly had any side effects at all!:)"

Olivia78 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking lexapro my first semester of sophomore year in college for depression and anxiety and have been taking it for about six months now. My anxiety causes me to have extreme panic attacks where I break out in rashes and get frequent bloody noses. Since being on lexapro, I have not had a single attack! I also haven't had any extreme side effects although I have had increased appetite and have gone from 95-100lbs to about 115lbs. However, the withdrawal symptoms are very serious, take it everyday and try not to skip any days. I got a nasty cold and stopped taking it for awhile and then spent a whole week thinking I had a horrible flu (nausea, vomiting, headaches) only to realize I was going through withdrawals."

milkyaves June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had to start at 5 mg and work my way up because I'm a baby, but I definitely feel better and oddly enough, my headaches have improved after 20 years. I don't feel any different, I'm just worrying less and not feeling the physical symptoms of anxiety. It still comes and goes a small bit, but it's WAY better!"

Laurd May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had tried everything meditation, herbal supplements, yoga, exercise, healthy eating. I was doing everything "right" however I was in a constant state of unrest and having about 5 panic attacks a day. I would go days without eating or drinking water and then collapsing. My anxiety was so high, was sick all the time gut issues, headaches, dizziness, general fog and feeling completely out of it and detached. It came to the point that something needed to change - so I sucked it up and tried Lexapro. If you are reading this YOU CAN FEEL BETTER. I was scared I would feel like a zombie and loose myself - but it just takes the edge off and you will start to feel lighter and free and it will let therapy and meditation work."

Triss12 May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Difficult personal situations caused my Ativan usage to creep up to 3-4x/day. When I started being perimenopause, I was also suffering with terrible depression, which I have never had before. My GYN prescribed Lexapro, and I've always been against taking an SSRI because of the side effects and feeling like I could just "work through" the anxiety, but the depression was debilitating. I forced myself to take the first pill, and the next day, I realized I wasn't under a cloud of stress anymore. It worked well for about 3 weeks, and then I was irritable and the anxiety was back. I just started on 20mg and feel optimistic. Only minor side effects: headache, some nausea the first few days, insomnia. I've lost weight, which is a plus!"

Tante (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication is possibly good for thousands of patients but gave me agitation and hot feet after using only for only 3 days . These symptoms might happened to others as any medicine probably cause reaction to any individual."

M hosseni (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro was a miracle drug for me as far as treating my severe health anxiety and PTSD. It gave me my life back. I can truly say I was my normal self 98% of the time. However it caused me to have extreme muscle tension and headaches. I was even diagnosed with TMJ and was sleeping with a mouthguard at night. Weaning off Lexapro was horrific for me. It took a good 3 months for all the withdrawal symptoms to subside. Thankfully the headaches and stiff jaw got better as well. I'm sad I can't take Lexapro anymore. It saved my life. I'm about to start on Prozac. We'll see what happens."

RVAmommy April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm someone that has been generally anxious for my whole life with spells of depression sprinkled in. Recently I thought I had been improving with my anxiety but then I had a panic attack, out of the blue, with no rhyme or reason; it just happened. I was afraid this would affect my work so I finally pushed myself to see a psychiatrist, who suggested that Lexapro would be an appropriate option. I started taking it and had some nasty side affects (no appetite, nausea, slight dizziness, jitters, tenseness) for the first two days but after that I noticed how well it was working. My anxiety has lessened immensely and it's giving me a second chance I never knew I wanted. I'm still in the first week of trying it but it's worked excellently so far!"

RosyPosie (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having frequent panic attacks and anxiety spikes and my doctor suggested Lexapro. I had really bad nausea and lack of appetite the first week and had to force myself to eat to ease the hunger pains. After that subsided, I had a lot of muscle tension and soreness. It felt like my whole body was vibrating as if being electrically shocked. I was fidgeting all day, sitting in unusual postures, mistyping far more than usual, and knocking things over on my desk. After four weeks the panic attacks had stopped and my anxiety had improved slightly, but the muscular side-effects had me even more worried. I called my doctor and he switched me back to Sertraline. Tapering off Lexapro made the vibration and tension go away almost immediately."

jtr1988 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking 5 mg of lexapro 10 days ago, for postpartum depression/anxiety. It has been a lifesaver. The initial side effects faded within a week. I take it in the morning, because I knew that it would possibly make me jittery at first. I had tiredness in the afternoon and evening and a loss of appetite for the first 5 days, but those have faded completely. I searched and searched for positive reviews on this drug for postpartum depression/anxiety and could not find any. If anyone is on the fence about taking medication for postpartum depression, please consider it for a temporary aid in getting you past it."

tiffaday March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Lexapro after some fairly rough depression and anxiety. I had been in the hospital 3 times in 2 weeks for anxiety attacks. The first day after Lexapro, I felt the depression gone. Literally the first day. However, the first 3-4 weeks were rough. I definitely had nausea and was VERY sleepy. But after about a month, the nausea and sleepiness went away. A nurse at our doctor's office basically told me to suck it up, and that I had to give the medicine time to work. I toughed it out, and after about 6 weeks, it was like a cloud was lifted and I have felt AMAZING ever since. I didn't realize that I have probably had depression and/or anxiety for decades until I found out what it was like to feel great. Still great after a year."

Chris_Kansas March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed lexapro about a year after my assault. I took only one pill. It made me feel worse than the anxiety it self. I was in a daze all day not sure how I made to college that day and back home. Walking was like I was drunk and the overall feeling inside me was horrible. what a waste of $65.00 back then."

creativenina March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from depression and anxiety. I was on a number of meds before my doctor put me on Lexapro.. they were all horrible and made my anxiety worse. I was starting to lose hope that I would never find a medication to help. Thankfully Lexapro is helping! It's a lifesaver!! I could tell a difference after the first day..I'm much more "normal" I don't fly into a rage so easily, I don't feel overwhelmed constantly and I'm not irritated all the time for no reason. My moods are much more stable. Before Lexapro I seriously felt like I was losing it. My husband even told me he notices a huge difference in me since being on this. I'm also prescribed klonopin for my anxiety but since being on Lexapro I haven't had a need to take it. I love Lexapro!"

AmberLynnxX (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from Anxiety and Panic attacks since my 20's sporadically. Now in my 40's recurrence has significantly increased due to a series of personal events to a point that I was starting to be afraid of being alone. I was hesitant to initiate medication but 3 weeks into it I feel the best I have felt in a long time. The first two weeks are tough, with nausea, dizzyness and headaches but it is worth it."

GFR February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 10mg daily beginning two years ago for anxiety. The only side affect was for the first week. All I wanted to do was sleep. My body relaxed so much, I was not sleep deprived anymore. Afterwards it levelled off. My Dr. and I keep constant checkups and it's working out great."

Janeygirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lexapro was a life saver for me. It helped me complete every day tasks that I could not do before taking this drug. I've tried nearly every other SSRI but this one was the best. The only negative part about this drug is the withdrawal symptoms. They are HORRIBLE. I recently found out I was pregnant and I had to cut down my dose according to my Dr. I was super dizzy, very faint and unable to leave my house. If I didn't have to stop these drugs, I would still be okay. However, slowly weening off these drugs have caused me to slip in a horrible anxious state."

JayH77425 February 26, 2017