User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety (Page 2)

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro

sak9210 May 6, 2019

"Started 5mg Lexapro for 2 weeks, and had pelvic pain for 4 days, and daily headaches. Tried 10mg, big mistake, felt awful all day, went back down to 5mg, for a few day, then 2.5 for a few days, now 2.5mg every other day, and will stop taking it. As I have migraines, insomnia, neck pain, and now a new diagnosis of primary cough headache, the neurologist suggested Amitriptyline. So I will try it after I'm done tapering off the Lexapro. I really wanted it to work, but I've been taking OTC meds for the headaches everyday which wasn't good."

Sam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2019

"I was diagnosed with Lexapro induced Toxic Encephalopathy and resulting dementia. These drugs are now linked to dementia and early death. The Medical and pharma system is currently being reviewed at this time. If you want to the study then just search "Increased Risk of Dementia in Patients with Antidepressants: A Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies""

asfgjksqw · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2019

"Do not take this rubbish drug. Made my anxiety 100 times worse. Restlessness, insomnia, all of it. Overall terrible drug and wouldn't wish the way I feel right now on my worst enemy. I pray I'll get better each day."

Amine · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2019

"Lexapro (cipralex) is effective for my social anxiety."

OhCanada · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2019

"I haven’t been on Lexapro long, but it has cured my insomnia within 7 days. I take 10 mg 4 hours before ideal bedtime. I haven’t had severe side effects - my side effects were: was waking mid-night the first few nights, had bad heart burn, digestive issues, and vomited once. All of those side effects went away fairly quickly. Stressed induced IBS went away/reduced within 1.5 weeks. Anxiety is reducing. Depressed feelings lifting. I feel a bit jittery ~60 minutes after taking but that may subside/is tolerable. Would highly suggest this medication, stick with it for a few weeks because initial side effects are normal. I have been told 1-2 months for full effects."

dave · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2019

"Started taking lexapro at 10mg. Was than increased to 20mg. I can say it has help my depression a lot. I think that it gives me a bit of short term memory loss but this is great for anxiety (social anxiety) and depression because if I get vivid thoughts, I forget them fast and am able to concentrate on something else; this makes me able not keep bring up bad thoughts which was one of the biggest struggles for me. Amazing antidepressant I recommended it especially for social anxiety/generalized anxiety. I'm very happy with it. Only downfall is the side effects which only lasts the first 1-2 weeks."

MuchBetter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 17, 2019

"I have had anxiety and depression since puberty (I am now 32). Over the years my depression has subsided and my anxiety gotten worse. I had always avoided antidepressants because I wanted to exhaust more holistic approaches before having to take a maintenance medication. Eventually it got to a point where I realized I was doing everything I could (exercise, eating well, meditation, drinking less, sleeping 7-9 hours a night) and was still suffering. My GP put me on 10 MG of Lexapro and I can absolutely say I am much better than I was before. My anxiety is significantly more manageable and I am definitely more confident. I did have side effects for the first 4-6 weeks (fatigue and night sweats) but they subsided and I think it was worth it. I am glad I finally made the decision to go on an antidepressant and for me, Lexapro was the right choice."

Della · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2019

"Absolutely destroyed my stomach. When I eat just a carrot my stomach bloats to 3x it's normal size. I have a flat stomach and I'm fit so it isn't comfortable at all. It also hasn't helped with my PTSD, anxiety, or depression. I have felt no difference in my symptoms."

mylifesamess · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2019

"I have been taking Lexapro for about 2 months now. I started taking it to treat my worsening anxiety due to stress, school, family, etc. After a few weeks of taking it my anxiety was a lot better I was more calm, peaceful, etc. But I started becoming tired all the time and super unmotivated and lack of enjoyment in the things I once loved. Then I started realizing how much more depressed I was becoming. I am still taking Lexapro but now my depression is worsening I have suffered from depression in the past and while Lexapro has helped my anxiety it has made me extremely depressed."

Jarmin March 26, 2019

"Had terrible breathing that was a little bit of asthma but seemed a lot worse than it was, the breathing problems could last hours or multiple days at times and would come and go, sometimes would end up in full can't breathe panic attacks, actually thought it was anxiety because of this before a diagnosis. Had a chest x-ray, spirometry and bloods done to make sure there was nothing sinister and then put on Zoloft 50 mg, which I think may have been too much too quick, and this caused me to go into a near manic, panicked and upset state for about two weeks until I went back to the doctor and said that zoloft had taken a breathing anxiety condition to a crying, manic and nearly considering admitting myself state. He changed me to 20 mg Lexapro and I must say I began to settle. Give it at least 4 weeks people, be brave in the early days when you think you are losing it, it will get better, I thought I was going to lose it in the first weeks, it was a very dark time."

Wy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 24, 2019

"I have had generalized anxiety disorder for most of my whole life and always wanted to stay away from prescription drugs and always tried to reduce my anxiety with exercise, medetation, etc. it took me moving cities and having a few anxiety attack’s to try lexapro 6 months ago and ever since my life has been so much more calm and even. I still get anxiety sometimes but it’s a healthy amount and I don’t hardly worry about things that aren’t a big issue in my life. My only problem with the drug is the drowsiness and the crazy vivid dreams but otherwise it’s been great!"

ade987 · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 22, 2019

"I've had bad anxiety (mostly social anxiety) for as long as I can remember, and taking this medication has finally allowed me to function. I started on 5 mg I think, and the only annoying thing when I started was I was tired and yawning all the time, but once my body got used to it, it didn't make me tired anymore. I now take 10 milligrams, and I did try taking 15 because I still had depression, but at 15 it seemed like I was just getting side effects without added effectiveness. I'm going to be trying a different medication just because my depression has been kicking my butt, but this did work for my anxiety."

Julie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2019

"STAY AWAY FROM LEXAPRO!! I started taking 5mg Lexapro 4 months ago. Starting the medication was rough, I experienced every terrible side effect it could offer. The worst was depression. I began Lexapro because of panic and anxiety, I’d NEVER had a depressed thought in my life before taking this. After 3 weeks, I started to feel a little better and my anxiety was under control. Fast forward to now - I am absolutely miserable! I’ve never had an issue sleeping and now I have extreme insomnia. My anxiety and panic attacks are back and worse than before. My head hurts, to the point of almost feeling like I have a brain tumor. I have zero motivation for life, which has made me a completely different person than I was before taking this medication. Taking Lexapro was the WORST decision I’ve ever made. Don’t risk it."

Sabrina March 20, 2019

"I've been on 10mg for about a week for GAD. I didn't think it would work as I've always associated with anti-depressants with, well, depression, which I no longer suffer from. I've been using Ativan for breakthrough anxiety off and on for over ten years. It works great, but I have to wait for it to kick in after my body has already started going into panic mode, which can take up to an hour, and up until a week ago. I had been taking it almost every day because my panic levels have been through the roof. Thankfully, I haven't had to take any Ativan since I started on Lexapro. It literally started working from day one. I've been lucky so far as I've not had any of the adverse side effects that some people have, and I've slept like a baby since I started this medication, which is nuts because I haven't been able to sleep the whole night through in years. I'm hoping I won't have to be on this for the rest of my life, but I'm happy to be on it right now as it's already worked miracles."

MommyOf3 March 18, 2019

"Had lots of freak outs the first 3 weeks on lexapro for my anxiety. It was just my anxiety scaring me thinking anything that was happening to me was the medication. I was given this for my anxiety due to postpartum anxiety and also it may coincide with depression from my moms death 2 years ago . Anxiety caused me panic attacks which ceased to exist after about 1 month on it, worked better after 7 weeks . I’m able to get up out of bed , enjoy a movie ,laugh and organize things . I look back at these unrealistic worries I had and laugh at them now . I still have some off days but they’re not nearly as much as before .I was to paranoid to drink caffeine and now I’m drinking coffee again . Yes I had some funny phobias and I’m in a better place now . I give an 8 cause it has a couple minor side effects but nothing I wanna note since I know people with anxiety will be reading this and they’re not big deals. Lexapro 10 mg for 3 months now and yes it really works for anxiety. Generic version Escitalopram"

Anonymous March 9, 2019

"I have been on Lexapro for around 3 months. I keep waiting for it to get better. Lexapro is very effective against my anxiety, my stress level is way lower.. Lexapro make me a very calm person and more social. However, the side effects are the big problem that do not get better with time and with a reduce dosage. I can sleep for 12 hrs a day and woke up feeling drunk, headache, tired and nausea. I have tried reducing the dosage from 10mg to 7.5 then 5mg but to no avail, with the advice from my psychiatrist. I feel tired all the time with no motivation and Lexapro lower my metabolism, I gain 4kg after 3 months on this medication, I can tell that I feel less hot and sweat a lot less, that is why I am sure that it affected my metabolism. I believe that after 3 months of lexapro with several dosage changed and tried taking it in the morning or before bed, it has made no different with the serious side effect that I described earlier."

MickeyMouse44 · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2019

"I have been on Lexapro for approximately 2 weeks and have already noticed a great improvement. Prior to taking the medication, I felt high levels of anxiety that would especially interfere with my ability to concentrate during class. The first few days, I experienced some insomnia and kept waking up frequently throughout the night. DON’T LET THIS STOP YOU FROM CONTINUING IT. The unpleasant side effect wore off very quickly. As of now, my level of anxiety has significantly decreased. I feel much more confident socializing and can finally concentrate. The ONLY problem is feeling very tired and lethargic, which I think is a much better alternative to feeling anxious all the time because you are at ease. I am glad I did not listen to the negative reviews even though I was very scared at first!"

Cinder · Taken for 10 years or more February 15, 2019

"My doctors just put me on Lexapro and I cannot believe how much better I feel. I had been on Xanax for years and no other doctor suggested I get off of this. I am 77 years old and he told me at my age it was serious. I do take 1 Xanax in the morning but I am going to get off completely soon. I have had trigger point pain since 2017 and it is hard to get treated for this. Have tried so many outlets and hope to try one more doctor for this pain."

Worthit · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 8, 2019

"I was so anxious to try this medication. I was on 5 mg for a week and then started ten mg after. Let me tell you. I would NOT have gotten through my breakup without this drug!!! It’s really made me SO much calmer. I just don’t care about some things anymore. I feel so much more at ease. My health anxiety is not bad at all anymore!!!!!!!! I love this medicine. Probably never going off. Thank you lexapro for making me feel sane and calm again!"

nunya · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2019

"Lexapro is terrible for me. I have been switched from celexa after many years and at the high end of the scale 60mg daily. Having no problems at all, doctors changed me to lexapro, hate it. Agitation increase, dizziness that was so bad I could not move my head, anxiety increase, moody, snappy, not good. Called doc immediately put back on celexa. They claim they are the same med not in my experience."

Km February 4, 2019

"I suffer from anxiety and depression. I was in a bad car accident suffered a really bad concussion. Days after my car accident I had more anxiety and not sleeping and mood swings and wouldn't leave my house. I was afraid of everything. Everyone told me I have PTSD. So my dr told me to try this. It's my second day and I'm happy. I'm excited for tomorrow and I never was excited about anything. I was so depressed and thought I was worthless and ugly and I don't deserve anything. But I can say that lexapro has help me see things positive. I'm happy finally. I finally feel good again."

DadToTwo · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2019

"Literally had one foot off the bridge. I have suffered from a heart arrhythmia that was causing me to just give up on life. I was on a beta blocker for it and the beta blocker intensified the depression. My two kiddos were the only thing keeping me in the game. No one of course knew this...but I was one foot off the bridge with my kids holding my other foot firmly planted. Then came lexapro. I had tried it a year or so before and gave up on it...too soon. Told my doctor I had to try something. It was like my body remembered the Lexapro I swear to God. About 10 days after taking it, it was like a switch flipped. I woke up feeling better. The heart arrhythmia stopped for the most part and the depression was almost lifted. I take 10mg daily. I would rate this a 20 if I could"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2019

"Like you, I’ve been reading these reviews over and over and over again and was just so incredulous that this drug could fix my issues. I had horrific social and generalized anxiety. I was self conscious of my voice 24/7, would ruin every experience. 24/7 negative self talk. It was awful. Started with Prozac and had to switch to Lex. Everything took about six weeks to kick in, so be patient. I thought I was hopeless, but I’m laughing, smiling, feel worry slowly dripping away by the day. Social anxiety is lower every day. I feel confident. I feel like who I was mean to to be. My best piece of advice is to not obsess about whether or not it’s working. You WILL know when it does, trust me. Maybe lexapro isn’t for you, if that’s the case, DON'T WORRY you WILL find something that works for you and it will be so worth it. Hang in there and don’t give up!!"

Luc · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2019

"I had problems with severe panic attacks and my GP decided to have me try this. It worked like a charm in that the ruminations were gone and my anxiety decreased greatly (although never disappeared). However the side effects made me stop taking it - mostly weight gain."

Katie January 24, 2019

"I was on 20 mg Lexapro for about three years for anxiety and severe panic attacks. It worked very well. I went off it recently for about 6 months, having done a lot of therapy, learning skills to deal with my anxiety and panic. All was well until my friend committed suicide about a month ago. I started experiencing such extreme anxiety again I decided to restart my Lexapro at 10mg. Big mistake for my body. I suffered the most extreme panic and adrenaline rushes I’ve ever felt. I thought I was dying, was vomiting, had diarrhea, my legs were shaking, and I had no ability to regulate my emotions. I felt as I was going crazy and it left me on my bathroom floor moaning for days. Terrible terrible side effects. A precautionary tale, if you know you’re sensitive to meds, start this drug on a very low dose to avoid serotonin overload. I’m on 2.5 mg now and feeling much better, will continue to slowly increase!"

Learn more about Anxiety

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)