User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety (Page 3)

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro

"I think it is working well at the moment but I am on kolopin also. I think it is for much for same problem lexapro 20 mg an kolopin is .05 at night. What do you think."

Dad1941 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2018

"There’s no need to be suffering. This medication is an anxiety GAME CHANGER. I’m on 10mg a day. I work out every day have not gained an ounce. 6 months later my sex life is thriving! When you feel better, you feel sexier. I’m 47 and shocked folks are having sex issues and weight gain. Get out there and grab life!"

Paula (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2018

"I'm making an update ( from my 5 week post) as I'm now approaching the two month mark on Lexapro. I am on 10 mg, and I'm feeling like a happier and less nervous wreck than I was 2 months ago. I feel motivated when I wake up, I'm back to working out again, I don't cry over senseless matters anymore, and I don't get angry over the smallest matters. I feel more comfortable going out in public again and holding conversations, whereas that felt impossible before starting Lexapro. I still have work I need to do outside of just taking Lexapro and expecting it to change my life, but it's given me the motivation to help myself and not feel miserable in the process. Only con I have at this point is occasional brain fog, but I've found that keeping a consistent sleeping routine and eating healthier has helped that a lot. I hope you all feel better soon and stay encouraged that recovery is possible! You will find what works for you! Be blessed."

Starry87 August 15, 2018

"After suffering with anxiety and panic attacks for around 25 years. The panic attacks were only getting worse. I couldn’t even have a conversation with another person without getting really anxious and having to leave the situation. I had to do something, I wanted my life back! My doctor prescribed me the generic brand 5mg. I didn’t want to take it because just like you reading this, the thought of taking it made me even more anxious. I started taking it July 29th. I am taking 2.5mg as of right now. I honestly felt more calm the first night I took it. The next day I just felt kinda foggy and tired. I am on day 4. It makes me nauseous, a little dizzy sometimes if I get up to fast, and it has given me gas, as well as feeling a little more anxious during the day at time. I take it at night around 9. I am going to stick it out and see what happens. I’m really hoping that this medicine is what I need to get my life back."

Staying positive (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

"24 years of age and I've experienced chronic depression, anxiety, OCD, and body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) for about the last 12 years. I have been on various medications and I can say that by taking Lexapro, I'm finally getting my life and self back. Before this medication, my OCD/BDD rituals and thoughts were consuming anywhere from 3-10 hours of my day. Since week 2 of this medication, the thoughts and rituals have been less and less. I'm on week 5, and I feel like it's helping more and more each day with anxious, obsessive thoughts and the down moods. I pray this medication continues to work for me, because I finally feel like I can be something and accomplish what I've always wanted for myself. I'm so grateful for this medication, and the very few side effects I experienced starting this drug (mild headaches, slight dizziness, and dry mouth). Overall, I'm very satisfied with this medication so far."

Starry87 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2018

"This was the first medication I took for my anxiety and depression. When I talked to my doctor about my mental health before he prescribed this I was a lot more anxious than depressed. As I started taking it, it helped a lot. Not only I noticed a difference, but everyone around me also did, saying how much more outgoing I was, and I was. It helped with my anxiety and my depression wasn’t a big issue, but as I continued to take it, my depression slowly got worse and worse. I eventually stopped going to school and missed like 3 months worth of classes, being in college this was terrible, considering most classes only allow 3-5 absences for an entire semester. Needless to say, my grades went downhill causing me to fall deeper into my depression and never leave my house. Eventually I stopped taking it and while I’m still depressed and anxious, it’s not as bad as the Lexapro made it. So I’d say for anxiety, it was a great medication, but depression wise it was absolutely terrible."

km (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2018

"I am currently just over a week in and I haven't experienced anxiety like this since my nervous breakdown 3 years ago which I spent years building up a healthy mental state after. At first I started with a quarter of a pill, then went to 5mg, then had immediate horrible anxiety the next day! As I type this I am on my 4th pill of 5mg and LIFE IS AWFUL RIGHT NOW. I also have every damned side effect in the book! Thanks Lexapro, I lost 5 kilos thanks to your free weight loss program! I am consulting my doctor about the future of this med in my life, I don't care if people say you have to wait it out 3-4 weeks... I honestly don't see hope in that happening, and also you don't know whether it will WORK or NOT after that period... not worth the ANXIETY."

P_atrick (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2018

"Got almost every side effect and not one positive thing has come from it. The "stick with it" advice is rubbish for me, lexapro is a bad medicine."

Rick (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2018

"I resisted getting on medication for three years of suffering from major panic attacks after losing a baby. I wish I would’ve started earlier. This has helped me so much! The first two weeks sucked I have to admit, I felt worse. But after reading everybody saying stick it out I’m so glad I did. I started feeling better after a few weeks but it took a good three months to really feel balanced. I don’t get panic attacks anymore but I still get occasional anxiety here in there. I don’t feel like a different person at all and I want to add that I did not have depression so I don’t see a difference in that at all but that was not my problem, the anxiety was. I hope this helps somebody because I did a lot of reading before I started. I was so afraid to get on medication but again I want to add I wish I would’ve done it earlier. Nothing to be ashamed about. I’ve been on it for five months now."

MP (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2018

"Starting 4th week moved up from 5 to 7.5 and now my prescribed dose of 10mg. I’ve failed with others but think this may be the one to help with anxiety and panic attacks. I have noticed I am much better in some situations. The biggest problem so far is gas. Gas like I never thought possible. I mean big WHOMP gas. Sometimes I don’t ever know it’s there like standing up to get off the plane or reaching down at the water cooler. Hopefully that will pass soon."

Bobo (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

"I’ve been taking 10mg for just over a year now. It has REALLY helped my overall anxiety and mood swings from perimenopause. Getting started on this was VERY tough for me. The side effects were not very pleasant and I definitely felt worse before I felt better. Klonopin helped get through the first few weeks. I would say after probably 3 months ALL the side effects were gone and I didn’t feel like I was “on” anything, which was a relief! After the first 3 weeks or so MOST of the symptoms had greatly decreased/disappeared. I’m glad I stuck it out and continued taking it. It has been a huge help overall and I have very little anxiety about driving places that I am unfamiliar with like I was before. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there!"

Mom of 3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2018

"This drug made a new person of me. I had suffered from anxiety and depression my whole life and just never knew what it felt like not to be full of anxiety. When I turned 50 I went into a severe depression and elevated anxiety. I was started on this med while in the hospital. It took a couple of weeks to work but when it did it was like a miracle. I am so thankul. I have taken it for the past 13 years....."

Mo (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2018

"I have suffered from anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember, through a lot of ups and downs, I am finally feeling myself. This drug is amazing, I’m usually anti-med, and the only negative side effect of this drug has been on and off nausea. My anxiety has been significantly reduced, and my depression has also seemed to have subsided greatly! I would recommend giving cipralex a chance out of any other SSRI."

Kat June 19, 2018

"I started taking Lexapro a month ago. I felt it working right away, which I was told I wouldn't feel anything for 4-6 weeks. I always had non stop leg shaking and my jaw would clench tight for the first week. Forget about sex!! ughhh that is why I am giving an 8, but I am just happy I don't have to cry every night over a box of crayons or be unfocused because the anxiety was so high."

Angel (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2018

"I have tried this before and found some relief. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it blunts my emotions."

Ian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

"I've battled anxiety for 40 years and finally went on 10 mg lexapro. It works fantastic for me and after 9 months I weaned myself to 5mg a day. That was a mistake I had panic attacks more anxiety and so went back to 10mg today. I don't think I can ever stop taking it."

mick (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2018

"I wanted to share my positive experience with you. I started taking Lexapro about 6 weeks ago. My anxiety months ago started to get away from me due to a family stress event. I have dealt with anxiety in the past so it’s not new for me but this time it was getting out of control. My worries were non stop and sleep wasn’t happening. So I started Lexapro beginning of April. By the 3 rd week I was getting good relief from my anxiety. By week 6 I was back to me. :) So hang in there. It takes time but it worked for me. And I very much hope it works for you. Anxiety is debilitating. And hard for others to understand. Good luck everyone. And say some prayers too. That will get you through. ❤️"

Angie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

"I took Lexapro for 11 years. I started out taking 10 mg, for the first 5 years then the Doctor pumped it up to 20 mg daily. I broke out in a rash that I could see on my stomach ,arms, and neck. I also got dermatitis on my scalp. I suffered nausea and gained 50 pounds. I went through all this because I had 2 panic attacks in my late 40s. I decided to tapper off Lexapro to see how I felt without a antidepressant to get me through the day. Believe me, it’s been hard! The side effects on going off this drug has been the most worst thing I have ever gone through. I ended up in the emergency room feeling like I was dying. I am still dealing with the effects of withdrawal symptoms but I would never take Lexapro again !"

Dawn (taken for 10 years or more) May 22, 2018

"If you have Bipolar, mania or any kind of mood shifting disorder, do NOT take lexapro. It can work well for most but NOT if you have a mood disorder."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

"I have been smoking marijuana for almost 10 years until recently when I knew that was causing me more anxiety and depression. So I broke down to my doctor and told her my head isn’t right, that I messed with it for too many years. The first week of Lexapro I felt the affects right away. What a difference honestly I felt normal and could take on anything. I do believe in lifestyle change: I started 3 months ago to lose weight and I have lost 10 lbs so far. That’s because I pushed myself but was still miserable. It really is reprogramming your mind, but with the THC withdrawals Lexapro definitely saved me. Eventually I would like to get off it but it’s saving me a lot of trouble with suffering. Plus, it’s giving me so much confidence and NO more social anxiety. It’s hard to say if I really do have generalized anxiety because I abused THC for a decade but right now, this medication really does help with everything else I’m doing to change my life. I’m on a low dosage of 5 mg which I feel is enough."

Mary May 15, 2018

"Had severe depression and anxiety for a month that hit me like a ton of bricks in civil litigation with a sociopath who suddenly seemed to me to be on a sure path of bankrupting me eventually. First two months on Lexapro had little effect. Could barely bring myself to work with my lawyers. Driving more than a few blocks was a mountain to climb, as was social interaction, even visits with relatives. Dosage increased from 10 to 20mg after a couple months when it did not seem to be working. Dropped a prescribed companion sedative that was causing me to sleep until noon. Now, after 4 month on Lexapro am back to nearly normal activities, feel the future can be positive, traveling to see relatives and friends. The first two+ months were tough, but combined with professional counselling, a lifesaver. And that sociopath is being successfully challenged."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

"Just go for this medicine don't think that you are like others ...anxiety and depression are chemical imbalances of brain and this is true. Do some therapy also but medication is important ..and one thing more your time is important too.. Cheers :)"

A.k (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

"The best medication I found for long term anxiety management. Least amount of side effects, (dosage dependent), and fastest acting. Used klonopin to manage short term while lexapro ramped up then tapered off klonopin. After years of use have found minimum dose required to control anxiety. Best to start low dose...too much of an SSRI can increase anxiety."

middle age (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

"I started lexapro and on the 5th day I woke up wide awake. This has never happened to me and I felt so different. I get weirded out and got up to grab some water. On my way, I feel a cold sweat and my body goes completely paralyzed. I felt a fear I didn't know I was capable of feeling. I try to scream but my vocal cords are paralyzed. I wait for death, completely terrified. Then my ears start ringing and I slowly get all my senses back. I am able to breathe again and start to hyperventilate from the panic. I was exhausted after that. I got in to see my doctor ASAP. I fell asleep in the waiting room and I can normally barely fall asleep in my own bed. He told me it doesn't even do anything in the first week and was all a placebo effect and gets upset with me because I didn't want to continue it. I don't think there's appropriate education being placed on these towards medical professionals. I realize they can help but there seems to be complete denial about adverse effects."

Lexano May 1, 2018

"Like you, you're reaching out for hope because you're going through one of the most horrible experiences in your life. But anxiety always passes, and lexapro helps your mind heal and recover. I had bad anxiety before that turned into anxiety disorder (afraid of anxiety itself). Just know that this is your mind tricking you and you have to learn no longer to be afraid of it. Lexapro will help you break the cycle and get you out of the hole quicker. Side effects were at their peak for the first two weeks, with even sometimes worse anxiety, but each day gets better. Sexual side effects subsided as well after the first 2-3 weeks as most are psychosomatic. Just try to remember your mind wants to calm down and its only temporary. I have been through hell and made it out the other end to see the light - just give it time and patience, it will pass and Lexapro helps."

Dan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018