User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety (Page 5)

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 162 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro

"I was not going to take Lexapro after reading all the reviews. I was really skeptical about the side effects. I read one very positive review & it changed my mind. I am so glad I started Lexapro two months ago. I was put on Lexapro for anxiety. I was always in a bad mood & everything set me off. I started with 10mg & saw a slight improvement the first week. It wasn't until the Dr put me on 15mg about a month in that I really saw considerable improvement. Two months later I can honestly say I am am so happy to be on this medication. Everything just seems better. I am happy. I find joy in the things I used to. I look forward to social events. My mood is so much better. I did not gain weight. No sexual side affects. Please give it a try!"

butfirstanxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

"Hi I've been taking lexapro since 2014 it helps a lot although I still have some anxiety but it works wonders, no side effects I take 20mg"

axmfri (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2017

"Lexapro pretty much saved my life at one point. I’ve had anxiety/depression all my life but a few years ago I was at a low point. I wasn’t getting out of bed and felt like I had no reason to even get up in the morning. One day I decided it was time to live again and I saw a psychiatrist. He prescribed me 10mg of lexapro which I was advised to take half of for the 1st two weeks. As most people have mentioned, the 1st few weeks are for SURE not a good time. If you were already dealing with bad depression, I would advise that you stay close to good people for the 1st couple of weeks. I promise you though, it gets better if you wait it out. MAJOR sexual side effects (as in NO sex drive whatsoever) but if you have bad anxiety, it’s worth it."

j0rdann October 25, 2017

"I started with 0.5 tablets a day with no improvement (should be a stage to test any side effects resulted) 0.5 tablets more for every diagnosis. Kept a level of 3 tablets for longtime A peak of 4 tablets after 1 year and 2 months due to an sad period of my life I almost got no side effects and my anxiety kept reducing with less washing action for my clothing and less care of tiny dirt (Kind of dirt that I concern) However, my mood is still not always good (except those anxiety from dirt). Not sure what matters But overall Lexapro helps me a lot! At least I have more time to sleep (I used to wash my stuff until 3-4am 3-4 days a week but now I seldom wash, I have my normal bedtime even though I need to wash Sth)"

G T (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

"For me and other people I have suggested this medication too it has completely changed our lives for the better. Reading reviews you often see knee jerk reactions from people suffering deeply and then taking the medication and going through the up to 4 week period of feeling worse. That is a tough 4 weeks if you felt you where already at breaking point, easy to pull out the pitch fork at that time. But you're less likely to hear from the people who would tell you the polar opposite of that because once taking lexapro providing you are feeling better it’s easy to leave the dark world behind and return to the light. My suggestion to anyone who has been recommended this, ignore stigma and try this for at least 4 weeks at your doctors direction. GL ML"

Wilex October 17, 2017

"I struggled with severe postpartum anxiety and depression for two years after my daughter was born. I went to therapy but was still struggling. I didn't want to take medication for a very long time, because I just didn't want to be a "medicated mom." I always thought it would get better. It didn't and I was exhausted. I am taking only 10mg of lexapro now (therapeutic dose is considered 20mg) and I'm staying at 10. My life is COMPLETELY different. I feel joy and happiness again, my anxiety is gone, I sleep well, my sadness and anger are gone. It is life changing and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. And I'm actually a better, happier mom now! Give yourself a chance to get better. Mild side effects at first - mild nausea and headache."

SColly (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

"Before Lexapro I was on Adderall witch I abused with drinking and resulted in alcohol poisoning and Atrial Fibulation (irregular heartbeat) after this incident my anxiety went through the roof and I feared to drink or take another medication again. I had multiple times where I would go to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack and each time they told me it was anxiety. That’s when my doctor recommended lexapro. It does take some time for your body to get used to but once it did my anxiety was almost gone! You just need to let your body get used to it and find the right dose for you. I have been on it for almost a year now and I still get a little anxious but haven’t had any panic attacks."

Devon29118 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2017

"I was on this medication for a number of years, but I've come off it, because it doesn't help my social anxiety and the side-effects are quite debilitating for me. I have both generalised and social anxiety and though the Lexapro did help me feel generally less anxious, it did not help with the social anxiety. It also made me feel constantly very fatigued. Coming off Lexapro was absolutely horrible and I felt physically and mentally awful. Though it certainly is a good fit for mild to moderate anxiety, I felt like I was trapped on the medication because coming off it even for a day made me physically ill."

MacyPryce (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 12, 2017

"NEVER HAD AN ANXIETY ATTACK AFTER LEXAPRO. I used to have very severe anxiety , and I had to go to hospital multiple times thinking I had heart attacks. I had hot/cold flashes, chest pains, pounding heart, couldn’t breathe, dizziness.... unfortunately I got off of it to take a pill for my Tourette’s syndrome a few weeks ago and my anxiety came back and the new pill made me sick , so now my anxiety is back badly and I had to go to hospital multiple times thinking I had heart issues again... just got put back on lexipro a week ago hasn’t started working yet I hope it kicks in :( I also took buspar with lexapro before it is a second anxiety pill and u can take them together ."

lovablehaley October 7, 2017

"I was taking Celexa for 6 years. It didn't work for me like it once did. I'm 44, hormones are changing. Started Lexapro 4 weeks ago. No side effects, happy and feeling very positive, normal. Once in awhile, I feel angry, but yoga takes my anger away quickly."

Lana Bell October 1, 2017

"Moved cities to try and save money but this hasn't worked out as planned. I been stressed for the last 8 months and one day I just started getting anxiety attack and just depressed as heck. Went go see doctor. Got on 10mg lexapro for first 2 weeks then 20mg after that. Had minor side effects. Trouble urinating. Dry mouth. Minor head ache and the craziest most vivid dreams. And about a 2 week period of bad depression. All has since gone away. Besides the dreams. Very low libido. Don't drink alcohol on this medication is takes away the effects. Took me 3 days to start feeling the meds again. My anxiety is more manageable and i feel more sociable."

Riversyy September 30, 2017

"Oh my goodness! Can I give this drug a negative rating? Took it for one day and felt like a dang maniac! Took it before bed, and the next morning I woke up and felt so nauseous. I have taken Zoloft and Paxil at other times in life and I have never felt so sick and manic - absolute worst feeling ever! Took several days for that one dose to leave my system. However, having sex that night I had the most intense orgasm!"

TLWea (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

"If I were to just review this drug from an anxiety/fear of social interaction standpoint, I would say that Lexapro is awesome. Lexapro has stopped me from having tremors every time someone talked to me out of the blue, and I do not mind being in the spotlight anymore during classes. For (group) presentations, I still feel physical symptoms and my tremor building up, but not nearly as much as I did without Lexapro. My biggest fear happens to be giving presentations and this is what I am taking it for primarily. I think if I were to do a standalone presentation, I would still have A LOT of difficulty focusing on the topic at hand but not because of anxiety. This drug makes it very hard for me to focus in school. Hope to go down to 5mg from 10"

Deeeee August 24, 2017

"The start of their medication was horrible I am not going to sugar coat it for you. I was tired, had yawns, and brain zaps. I felt sick and nausea all the time. It was like the worst hangover all the time. After about 3 weeks I increased my dose from 10mg to 15mg. Again a lot of side effects. I felt terrible. Now 3 years later I am on 30mg and I don't have anxiety anymore. It took about 6 months for my body to adjust and settle down. I promise you it gets better. Stay with it, like everyone else says it works. It gets better. I can live my life now, I can be a parent, I graduated, I had another child. I'll be in this forever if I have to!"

EmmaMumVegan August 23, 2017

"I took this a few years ago for anxiety, panic, OCD, and mild agoraphobia and claustrophobia. It helped tremendously. I don't recall any side effects besides hands being shaky and a little more forgetful. I had to stop when I was trying to become pregnant and I'm not sure if it was the weaning off this or the switching to Zoloft but that process wasn't too fun. Not awful though. Still prefer over Zoloft!"

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

"Lexapro (which is called Cipralex here in Canada) was what they put me on when I first became extremely anxious (after trying talk therapy and Ativan when needed). It KO'd my anxiety extremely well (alongside continued therapy). Not only my acute anxiety that was causing panic attacks and made me unable to leave the house was handled, but the social anxiety I've lived with all my life. However, it caused me to gain a significant amount of weight, my emotions were somewhat blunted, and for the first few months I was on it, I would get quite sleepy in the morning. It did stop working for me after about 2.5 years, but as short-term anxiety treatment it served me well."

Sjagauwbsksuvsk (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

"Follow up on review posted over a year ago: I have just successfully quit Lexapro with a very slow 6 month taper. I took 10-15 mg for panic for one year, then started taper. Wanted to advise to taper ON this med as well as off! My Dr. had me jump right on at 10 mg and the first 3 weeks of adjustment was horrible...by contrast my taper off was a breeze because it was very gradual. Lexapro worked for me and I would take it again if ever necessary!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2017

"This drug -super small dose - has changed my life. I have been a nurse for 26 years. My stress and anxiety levels were at the max! I just wanted to sleep on my days off and I did not want to socialize. I was easily overwhelmed and worried constantly. I was just awful. I started lexapro at 10 mg and it was too much ! I backed down to 5 mg and the first 3 weeks were hell. I felt out of body - exhausted but could not sleep - it was just an awful three weeks. After reading many reviews to hang in there --- that's what I did. Around week 3-4 - I adjusted. I felt like my worries rolled off my back, I wanted to do things, I felt more energy than I had in years, I was laughing and finally listening to people did not annoy me! Hang in!!"

Stephanie 1970 July 4, 2017

"Anxiety lifer here. My demon has gotten cruel in the past few years by manifesting itself in severe premature ventricular contraction (PVC's) every time I start to leave the house or get in a slightly stressful situation. After a massive panic attack on a flight home from London to DC, I decided I had enough. I told my GP I want to go back on Lexapro. Like every other time, Lexapro works almost immediately for me - my PVC's and agoraphobia have muted drastically on only 5mg a day! Yes there is slight weight gain and potential sexual side effects but I'll take those over the other stuff any day. It's cliche but I do feel like I have my life back. I even ventured out for a run around the city tonight with zero PVC's. Sucks being on a drug but I'm ok with it today."

CorbettTheFirst June 25, 2017

"I am on month 2 of starting Lexapro. I was on Celexa for 4 years top dose and the benefits were declining for me so my physician prescribed 20 MG of Lexapro to start with. Initially I had no side effects the first month. Now am finding that I have been having night sweats, strange vivid dreams and all of a sudden bad acne on my face and neck that I never really had before other than the occasional PMS breakout. My energy level has been wonderful as I was really starting to feel exhausted all the time for no reason while on Celexa and my attention span had dramatically increased since starting Lexapro as I used to have trouble keeping attention."

Orrwhat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

"I was having horrible anxiety attacks, panic attacks and was border line manic. I was going through a lot of stress and hit my limit. My family urged me to see a Dr who started me on 2.5 lexapro for a week then up to 5 mg the week after. I stayed on 5 mg for 1 month seeing improvements. Eventually I decided to bump up to 7.5 which I'm currently on . I still get anxiety but I am able to feel in control. I don't have attacks anymore. I'm sleeping better and eating again. Side effects only lasted the first month . I got really tired 20 min after taking it , drowsy, night sweats. Make sure to take it with a snack, I find it hits the stomach like a rock. Over all has given me my life back. And I don't feel like I'm on medication."

Christine2425 June 18, 2017

"My anxiety peaked 6 years ago. Not only did I dread social interaction of any kind (talking to co-workers, going out with friends, even being around my own family) but I had experienced a panic attack on the freeway which kept me from driving anywhere far from my home for two years. I was extremely stubborn and didn't want chemicals to "change" my reality. I finally had to admit to myself that my reality sucked - bad. I'm overjoyed to report that Lexapro saved me. It took a month for me to realize I was greeting people in passing again. I drive on the freeway again and love being around people. Stick with it even if you feel "weird" at first. You CAN have your life back! I take it at night, the initial drowsiness helps me sleep."

MizLiss17 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2017

"I've been on Lexapro for maybe 1.5 years, and this drug has worked pretty well in reducing my anxiety and depression. I started on 10mg which may have helped a tiny bit, but I still felt awful. A month or two after having my dose increased to 20mg, I started to feel better. Lexapro helped me lift myself out of my ~6 month long period of anxiety and depression, but I wasn't "cured." I still have mental issues which I need to work on. In terms of side effects, there were almost none. I got headaches right when I started and also after going on 20mg, but they only lasted a few days. I also find my long-term memory is a bit worse, and time seems to fly by faster. Oh, and it's super cheap if you can get the generic version."

Tobey L June 15, 2017

"extreme increased anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

"excellent med if you are afraid of side effects, had none. used for 10 yrs until stopped working. was on celexa also for 10 yrs excellent med for no side effects .both Lexapro and Celexa are excellent for treating mental disease. avoid ZOLOFT was on for two weeks my brain was in another dimension , made anxiety worse. now its hell on earth for me looking for another ssri. clonzepam is excellent for anxiety no side effects. docs wont prescribe it for me."

Anonymous June 12, 2017