User Reviews for Lexapro to treat Anxiety (Page 5)

Lexapro Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lexapro

mick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 27, 2018

"I've battled anxiety for 40 years and finally went on 10 mg lexapro. It works fantastic for me and after 9 months I weaned myself to 5mg a day. That was a mistake I had panic attacks more anxiety and so went back to 10mg today. I don't think I can ever stop taking it."

Angie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2018

"I wanted to share my positive experience with you. I started taking Lexapro about 6 weeks ago. My anxiety months ago started to get away from me due to a family stress event. I have dealt with anxiety in the past so it’s not new for me but this time it was getting out of control. My worries were non stop and sleep wasn’t happening. So I started Lexapro beginning of April. By the 3 rd week I was getting good relief from my anxiety. By week 6 I was back to me. :) So hang in there. It takes time but it worked for me. And I very much hope it works for you. Anxiety is debilitating. And hard for others to understand. Good luck everyone. And say some prayers too. That will get you through. ❤️"

Dawn · Taken for 10 years or more May 22, 2018

"I took Lexapro for 11 years. I started out taking 10 mg, for the first 5 years then the Doctor pumped it up to 20 mg daily. I broke out in a rash that I could see on my stomach ,arms, and neck. I also got dermatitis on my scalp. I suffered nausea and gained 50 pounds. I went through all this because I had 2 panic attacks in my late 40s. I decided to tapper off Lexapro to see how I felt without a antidepressant to get me through the day. Believe me, it’s been hard! The side effects on going off this drug has been the most worst thing I have ever gone through. I ended up in the emergency room feeling like I was dying. I am still dealing with the effects of withdrawal symptoms but I would never take Lexapro again !"

Joe · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2018

"If you have Bipolar, mania or any kind of mood shifting disorder, do NOT take lexapro. It can work well for most but NOT if you have a mood disorder."

Mary May 15, 2018

"I have been smoking marijuana for almost 10 years until recently when I knew that was causing me more anxiety and depression. So I broke down to my doctor and told her my head isn’t right, that I messed with it for too many years. The first week of Lexapro I felt the affects right away. What a difference honestly I felt normal and could take on anything. I do believe in lifestyle change: I started 3 months ago to lose weight and I have lost 10 lbs so far. That’s because I pushed myself but was still miserable. It really is reprogramming your mind, but with the THC withdrawals Lexapro definitely saved me. Eventually I would like to get off it but it’s saving me a lot of trouble with suffering. Plus, it’s giving me so much confidence and NO more social anxiety. It’s hard to say if I really do have generalized anxiety because I abused THC for a decade but right now, this medication really does help with everything else I’m doing to change my life. I’m on a low dosage of 5 mg which I feel is enough."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2018

"Had severe depression and anxiety for a month that hit me like a ton of bricks in civil litigation with a sociopath who suddenly seemed to me to be on a sure path of bankrupting me eventually. First two months on Lexapro had little effect. Could barely bring myself to work with my lawyers. Driving more than a few blocks was a mountain to climb, as was social interaction, even visits with relatives. Dosage increased from 10 to 20mg after a couple months when it did not seem to be working. Dropped a prescribed companion sedative that was causing me to sleep until noon. Now, after 4 month on Lexapro am back to nearly normal activities, feel the future can be positive, traveling to see relatives and friends. The first two+ months were tough, but combined with professional counselling, a lifesaver. And that sociopath is being successfully challenged."

A.k · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2018

"Just go for this medicine don't think that you are like others ...anxiety and depression are chemical imbalances of brain and this is true. Do some therapy also but medication is important ..and one thing more your time is important too.. Cheers :)"

middle age · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2018

"The best medication I found for long term anxiety management. Least amount of side effects, (dosage dependent), and fastest acting. Used klonopin to manage short term while lexapro ramped up then tapered off klonopin. After years of use have found minimum dose required to control anxiety. Best to start low dose...too much of an SSRI can increase anxiety."

Lexano May 1, 2018

"I started lexapro and on the 5th day I woke up wide awake. This has never happened to me and I felt so different. I get weirded out and got up to grab some water. On my way, I feel a cold sweat and my body goes completely paralyzed. I felt a fear I didn't know I was capable of feeling. I try to scream but my vocal cords are paralyzed. I wait for death, completely terrified. Then my ears start ringing and I slowly get all my senses back. I am able to breathe again and start to hyperventilate from the panic. I was exhausted after that. I got in to see my doctor ASAP. I fell asleep in the waiting room and I can normally barely fall asleep in my own bed. He told me it doesn't even do anything in the first week and was all a placebo effect and gets upset with me because I didn't want to continue it. I don't think there's appropriate education being placed on these towards medical professionals. I realize they can help but there seems to be complete denial about adverse effects."

Dan · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2018

"Like you, you're reaching out for hope because you're going through one of the most horrible experiences in your life. But anxiety always passes, and lexapro helps your mind heal and recover. I had bad anxiety before that turned into anxiety disorder (afraid of anxiety itself). Just know that this is your mind tricking you and you have to learn no longer to be afraid of it. Lexapro will help you break the cycle and get you out of the hole quicker. Side effects were at their peak for the first two weeks, with even sometimes worse anxiety, but each day gets better. Sexual side effects subsided as well after the first 2-3 weeks as most are psychosomatic. Just try to remember your mind wants to calm down and its only temporary. I have been through hell and made it out the other end to see the light - just give it time and patience, it will pass and Lexapro helps."

jay jay April 13, 2018

"I've been on escitalopram for about 12 weeks now. I was a "normal" person my whole entire 20 years of life, and when anxiety hit me out of absolutely nowhere. I had severe derealization symptoms that basically drove my anxiety through the roof. All of a sudden, I was a completely different person; once an outgoing, lively, fearless girl to someone who couldn't even look up. Because of this I spiralled into a horrible depression. I think one of the scariest feelings was I would panic and a wave of helplessness would just hit me and I felt like my whole world was falling apart. After taking lexapro, I started to very gradually feel better. It was never like an on and off switch but as the weeks went by, I just slowly started feeling better/mood lift/less tense/etc. Now, I feel great and like myself again and am doing more for myself in the past few weeks than I have the past few years. Give it a shot, it will be rough in the beginning like everybody says, but it will be worth it."

anxiousity · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 8, 2018

"I unfortunately was one of those people who it took 4-5 weeks to see any benefit from Lexapro, but once it kicked it, it was life changing. I went from debilitating anxiety to where I couldn't even leave my house to finally feeling like the "old" me again. It was a slow transition, nothing black-and-white, but I can look back and see how the med slowly started to work. Side effects lasted a couple weeks and included headaches, endless fatigue, and I have to be careful what I eat because I have gained about 5 lbs., but I'd take those side effects over living in a constant dream-like state from anxiety. Started on 10 mg and am now on 15 mg. Give it a shot!"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2018

"I've been on lexapro 10mg for 5 days, can’t tell much difference just yet. Only side effects are slight headaches from time to time (not a full blown headache), tired, decrease in appetite, had diarrhea once. Trying to stick it out. On the downside my new doctor doesn’t prescribe lexapro so eventually I will have to switch to Celexa soon which I don’t know how I feel about that."

Tarn · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2018

"Made me extremely tired and I could not concentrate at work."

GreenRanger · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 8, 2018

"I've been taking Lexapro for 1 year and 2 months. So far its been a life saver. I couldn't sleep for days, stopped going to work and cried about anything that made me even the slightest bit upset. For me anxiety is like a cock fight going on inside my head. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety attacks, which rarely happen anymore (once or twice a month). I would also recommend finding a good therapist. Mine helps A TON."

Dotsy February 19, 2018

"I've been on 10 mg for 6 months and it definitely has calmed my anxiety issues. No side effects except weight gain about 30 lbs which I am not happy with but still worth taking"

jayandjay1 · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2018

"I’ve been on this medication for about 2 weeks and I’ve noticed my anxiety getting worse .. is that normal ? Will it get better ... I’ve seen reviews on it getting worse before better and I’m just so scared all the time I feel like I’m not myself . Please someone help me to understand if I should stay on medication"

drey_95 February 14, 2018

"I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since 2017. I found myself not leaving the house, in and out of hospitals, going to so many doctors for answers, not being able to drive, or even be by myself and having panic attacks everyday and so I was giving up. I found a therapist who helped me tremendously! He advised me to get on Lexapro. I was scared, I didn't want to take it and I felt like I was weak I can honestly tell you I am beyond thankful that I made myself get on this medication. It has totally changed my life in such a positive way. I do have to say the first couple of weeks were rough for me. I was dizzy, nauseous, just all the way felt like rubbish BUT STICK IT OUT. I am so thankful. Give this medicine a try but always remember you have to change the way you live your life and your thoughts, always be positive and always remember you will get out of this and you can live a happy and healthy life."

Nick68 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 6, 2018

"I am a 50 year old male in a highly stressful professional occupation. I became stricken with severe work related anxiety making me irritable and agonizing over decisions or interacting with others. Lexapro 10mg saved my career, as I was at the point that I believed I could no longer continue to function at work. The first few days were rough, but after 5 days, I remember waking up and feeling like the anxiety has diminished substantially. My anxiety continued to diminish gradually and now, after being on this medication for 1 year, I feel great. Only side effect is lasting longer...no complaints from the wife. I was hesitant to take the pharmaceutical route and felt real men should tough it out...so stupid."

JCPM February 5, 2018

"I tried Zoloft first and it made me extremely sick. I switched to Lexapro (generic) after a week and it helped the sickness tremendously. I have been on Lexapro for about a month and a half now and it is really just starting to work. It is helping a lot with my anxiety but I am having some common and not so common side effects. The common: difficulty orgasming (this was present in the Zoloft as well for me). Uncommon: I am also having trouble urinating (I can't go right away or at all if I don't REALLY have to go). My scalp has become very dry and itchy. I also got a yeast infection, which I am assuming is from the medication. It is not listed in the side effects but I have seen many other women complain of this. Over all, the fact that I feel like a normal person again outweighs all of the side effects for me. I am on 10mg and I plan to go down to 5mg after 6 months and my doctor thinks that will help with the side effects."

AustraliaLexapro February 3, 2018

"Pros I felt the positive effects of this medication within a matter of hours. I was at a point in my life where anxiety was dominating both my personal, professional, and familial relationships. I also had extreme health anxiety, which dominated a lot of my thoughts. Since starting Lexapro, I have noticed a huge difference in the reduction of my anxiety, including my health anxiety. I am happier and better able to connect with people (most likely because my anxiety has reduced a lot). The pros definitely outweigh the cons I experienced. Cons I have heard that this medication can increase suicidal ideation, which is a big con. I didn't have a huge depressive element to my anxiety, so I can't comment on the effects it has with depression Side effects: I have been having hot flushes, mainly at night Definitely increased thirst and dry mouth Some diarrhoea at the start, but that has settled Some waking up at 5am wide awake"

SMP1989 January 29, 2018

"I’ve been suffering chronic anxiety and regular bouts of deep depression since my mid teens. I’m 28. I’ve tried everything, including therapy for many years, & was starting to fear I was doomed to feel sad for the rest of my life. I was desperate to see if anything could make me feel better so I set aside my stubborn anti-medication stance. I am so glad I did. I’ve been on lexapro 3 wks now (still at a tiny 5mg dose) & saw an almost immediate improvement. My emotions have levelled out & my anxiety has toned down. Side effects were: weird kaleidoscopic closed-eye hallucinations when going to sleep, fluttery chest & increased anxiety in the evening...but only for the first few nights. Still experiencing a bit of sleeplessness. I also found my ability to orgasm disappeared for the first 2.5 weeks (to my horror) and I was considering stopping because of that, but lo and behold, it came back - so if anyone else experiences that I encourage you to hang in there a few weeks!"

Harrison.nnnnn January 16, 2018

"This got rid of my anxiety completely while on it! I finally got my life back. I’ve been struggling from severe anxiety my whole life and this finally helped. Like every medication, their are some symptoms that slip through. I still get anxious, but not as often, and only like 5 times a day. For me, that’s barely bad. I used to be anxious over EVERYTHING. For my depression it helps me not feel depressed as long, but I still felt almost as equally depressed as before just not everyday. And, most of the time I wasn’t depressed. But it did work better for my anxiety. Overall, everyone reacts to different medications differently so my advice probably won’t be relevant to your experience."

Anonymous January 8, 2018

"Here’s the thing there are so many different types of anxiety and depression medications out there, what works well with one person can have horrible effects on another. Keep that in mind when looking for what’s best for you"

pwordtx · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 3, 2018

"I took Lexapro for a couple of years and stopped but have now just started back up again due to severe anxiety along with some agoraphobia. The first time I was on it, I started at 10 mg and went to 20 mg after two weeks. For me this medication works very well. Startup side effects are slight nausea, jitters, and not sleeping very well. Also more difficult to ejaculate. The jitters which, when you already have anxiety, will only exacerbate the problem until the side effects wear off after about a week or so. It's helpful to have a prescription for Ativan or Xanax on standby to get through any panic attacks during the startup period. When it does kick in, there isn't a "wow, I feel amazing!" moment. More "wow, I don't feel awful anymore.""

Learn more about Anxiety

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)