User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 5)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 207 reviews 7 medications

Depression 373 reviews 78 medications

7.7
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1022 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "42 year old male. Married with 2 kids. No drugs or alcohol. No history of anxiety or depression prior to this incident. Several months ago I was wrongly diagnosed with throat cancer. As it turns out I am fine and cancer free. But the fear of leaving my family without a husband/father sent me into a tail spin filled with anxiety and depression. The worst part is that I stopped sleeping. My MD put me on Xanax (.5mg) and Ambien (10mg) which only made things worse. Finally went to shrink who put me on 10 mg Lexapro that I take in the morning. The Lex has given me the strength to get off the other 2 meds completely. After 1 month she bumped me up to 20 mg. After 6 weeks anxiety gone, depression gone, and I'm sleeping again naturally"

Anonymous465 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2016

For Anxiety ""I was given Lexapro from my Psych recommended by my therapist for anxiety which I had tried to manage naturally for many yrs by faith workingout meditation yoga and eating healthy. I am 37 suffering with severe panic-anxiety attacks which started while I was pregnant and involved DV with the dad who is a angel dust addict. I was always against taking any kind of meds not even for a headache so the thought of taking a drug everyday was scary I was diagnose with PTSD and anxiety. Its early since I just took my first dose last night and I haven't even experience any real side effects apart from a little tiredness this morning even though I slept 8hrs when I was only sleeping 3-4 at most. I still feel very anxious I will check-in 2-3 wks"

Miraclesoul777 March 2, 2016

For Anxiety "Feeling alive again but still having panick attacks. I've been on 10mg for the past month but I noticed every time I have drinks, the next day I have nasty pânic attacks. They are awful. Its been only a month. Does it get better after 2 months. I like this medicine, I feel alive again. I wanna jump out of my bed and go to the gym at 6am like before! I haven't felt like this in a year! Before all I wanted to do was sleep and stay attached to my bed. I love this med but i think I'll need to upper the dose for my anxiety. :'("

Xuxuzeti (taken for less than 1 month) February 29, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Before beginning lexapro, I suffered from multiple dabilitating panic attacks a day. Everywhere I went, I had shortness of breath and extreme tightening in my chest and feeling as though I would pass out. I went to the hospital at one point because my bp would not come down and my boyfriend who is an EMT thought that I would start seizing my bp was so high. After that episode I started lexapro again. I was on it when I was 17, but stopped because I gained so much weight while on it. Now at 27, I've decided to try it again. It has helped immensely with my anxiety and I feel like my old self again. While I do notice weight gain again, somewhere around the 15-20 lb range, I will happily take that over feeling incapable of living."

Didksjdjdjdjsjsk February 27, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro has changed my life. I'm now out of a 2 long year depression, and have no more anxiety, no more ruminations, nothing. I feel at peace with myself, I'm feeling happier about my life every day, and have learned to forgive, love and accept myself as I am. I no longer feel shame or guilt for mistakes or my flaws. I feel incredibly positive and in control of my thoughts and feelings. Everyone will have a different experience, but at last I have found something that has truly changed my life for the better."

Ryan Faricy February 25, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Just about to start on Lexapro and have been reading all the reviews. I guess I have been suffering from nearly all the negative reviews but hoping that my experience will be positive. The only thing is, I like to have a few drinks when I get home from work so will need to give these up so that will be challenging. Any tips from anyone?"

Delorean February 25, 2016

For Depression "Taking it about a month and I have to say thank God I feel calm. I sleep good at night and calm during the day."

BarbDel741 February 24, 2016

For Anxiety "Omg my expiriance with lexapro was hell. Doc started me of with 10mg and first day I took it after and hour started feeling it it was worse anxiety I've ever experienced and it was just getting worse. After suffering for about 5 hours I had to go to the ER. They had to wheel me in because I almost passed out. I was given 2 mg oh Ativan and Benadryl and was out bearly remember anything until the next morning. I don't know but that was my expiriance."

Jc32 (taken for 10 years or more) February 23, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm on day 5 of half a tablet. Pretty much getting all side effects that I don't want. Brain not slowing down, insomnia, nausea, less sex drive, no appetite and headaches. However, having read all the reviews today I will persist. Like everything in life, we have to give it a go. My manic depression has been up and down all my life and I've been mainly on Zoloft in the past but that just didn't work in the end. I will give the the four weeks but think I will stick to half tablet. Thanks to everyone for sharing your stories, you inspired me to take today's tablet. Here's hoping I will be back to functioning with a less hyper mood swinging personality soon."

Trusso1969 February 20, 2016

For Depression "I paid $250 for the brand name after having tried the generic 3 months ago with horrible results. Started at 5 mg; immediate increase in anxiety. Bad dreams, insomnia, diarrhea. Doctor said to go up to 10 mg after one week; could not focus, could not eat, intense agitation, uncontrollable crying, crazy thoughts. Anxiety hit the roof- couldn't leave then house. Saw a pychologist/ next a psychiatrist- immediately stopped the lexapro and within 24 hours felt 90% better. This drug is not for all. Sexual side effects and weight gain are high for most. Do your homework."

Caren grammar February 20, 2016

For Depression "This was the first medicine I was prescribed by my psychiatrist for my anxiety and depression. While I felt it worked decent, I got wicked headaches and I had terrible night sweats. I also suffered from fits of rage, and I felt really angry in general. To be fair I'm an angry person and I often felt that since I didn't feel as depressed or anxious any longer, my anger became more prominent. I also felt I had issues reaching orgasm at times, but then others I would feel insatiable. All in all, it was okay but I definitely ended up switching at my monthly appointment."

Ashley Savage (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The best drug I've taken."

Hoping for better February 15, 2016

For Anxiety "Did more harm than good. Suicidal ideation regularly even after taken for 4 months. Stomach problems, increased anxiety; and depression onset when I had none prior."

Johnny Jo February 15, 2016

For Anxiety "I remember reading all these reviews before I took it because I was so scared of the side effects that I might get so I thought I would review it. I know everyone reacts differently but so far this medication has been great. It has slowed down those over thinking anxious feeling's a lot! The side effects were minor. Mild digestive problems, occasional yawning episodes (a bit annoying). The one that is probably the biggest issue is the complete loss of appetite, I just feel like drinking a lot of water. I don't feel hungry and have lost 2kg in the 3 weeks I have been on it. I am hoping in time these side effects will eventually go away. They are pretty mild and something I can put up with since it is helping me with my anxiety."

Dianne711 February 10, 2016

For Anxiety "Changed my life. Quiets the irrational fears and depression that accompany anxiety disorder. Taking 10mg/daily. Weight gain but could also be because I'm happy and eating again. Also sleep great and feel calm. No sexual side effects. Stay with it for 6-8 weeks. If it doesn't work for you, try another medication until you find the one that clicks. Don't give up!"

NoMoAnxiety February 5, 2016

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was given Lexapro from my GP for anxiety which I had tried to manage naturally the past two years with various techniques to no avail. My panic symptoms were with me everyday and often suffered panic attack episodes. Made it extremely difficult to do everyday type stuff let alone work. I was always drug resistant..the kind of person who wouldn't even want to take a headache med so the thought of a drug therapy I would do everyday was scary. Anyhow, its early on less than two weeks and I haven't even experience any real side effects apart from a little tiredness first week. I feel less anxious already, no attacks and my thoughts aren't looping in my head anymore. I'm hoping it continues to get better!"

Swainer February 4, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is the most amazing medication in the entire world! I remember back when I first was prescribed it I had so much anxiety that driving home to and from work would consume my thoughts and everything was such a big deal. I feel as though I am able to focus on positive things and do not worry all the time! This medication truly is a life changer! 10/10"

DianaSS February 2, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was suffering with panic disorder with agoraphobia for 10 years. It started off pretty innocuous, a few trips to the ER, calling out of work... As my symptoms got worse I became more and more housebound. Going ANYWHERE, even a trip to the supermarket was miserable.I couldnt take my kids to the park.I had to quit my job because of the distance and panic attacks. I loved to travel but I could no longer get on a plane, forget getting to the airport. I literally tried everything. Finally I cracked. my doc prescribed me lexapro. I was so scared but so desperate. It has completely given me my life back. Slowly, surely, persistently I began to drive again. 2 years later I am me again. Fight through the side effects. Don't waste your life."

snjhytrwjxkakf (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2016

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "Stay away from this drug! Or at least if you have had my experience. My side effects was that I had very painful armpit boils. Never before in my life had I had them. I researched signs and symptoms online, and found Lexapro could cause them. I stopped taking Lexapro, and haven't experienced anymore. I would get one or two boils a week. They left ugly, permanent scars. Although, I've found possible laser treatment may remove scars."

Cindy_nurse January 29, 2016

For Depression "I've had depression for years and very high anxiety which at one point I could barely breathe and I had to focus on my breath to calm down at all. I took xanax for 6 months a year ago. It helped a little with anxiety but not for depression very well. I got off xanax last year and took nothing at all. I felt like I was losing my mind and had thoughts of just ending my emotional and mental agony. I went back to my Dr and he gave me Lexapro and xanax. For the first time in years my face doesn't grimace in emotional pain and I feel happy. I don't know if Lexapro could do that by itself, but with xanax it's saved my life."

s. from Texas (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

For Depression "The first six weeks were hell. Increased anxiety so severe I lost seventeen pounds. I'm now five months in and have never felt better. I'm on 20 mg of lexapro once daily 20mg of Buspirone twice daily. .5 mg of Clonazepam to be taken once daily if needed, I rarely need it. I would suggest trying a physician that will prescribe a low dosage of Clonazepam from the start, it would have saved me a great deal of suffering . Clonazepam is addictive so most doctors hesitate to prescribe it straight out of the box. Good luck and stick with it."

La ling January 26, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on 10mg of Lexapro (generic version) since 2012. It has helped me a great deal. I was prescribed the med for generalized anxiety which used to impair my ability to function - I could not sleep at all, extended period of sleep deprivation would trigger depression which was hell. I experienced panic attacks just as I would start to fall asleep; it would jolt me up and never able to fall back to sleep. I could not eat and lost a lot of weight. I got a very good doctor and he prescribed a sleeping aid with lexapro until lexapro's anti-anxiety effects kicked it. I took the sleeping aid for about 5-6 weeks until I started to sleep 4-5 hours. One big adverse side effect is weight gain.gained 25 pounds in 3 years."

BugMeNot2222 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 23, 2016

For Anxiety "I am a 24y/o female. I've been taking Lexapro 10mg for almost 4 months now and I can confidently say the only scary thing about this medication is people's negative reviews on it. First and foremost EVERYONE is different, so everyone will react to it differently. I was prescribed it by my primary Doctor due to my severe anxiety and mild depression. Before this medication I was prescribed Celexa, but hated it. My anxiety and depression got so much worse I decided to do something about it. It came to the point where my anxiety and depression affected everyone around me and I just wasn't happy anymore. At first taking this medication gave me some side affects. My side effects were really dry mouth, some intense dreams, and some loss of appetite. The only thing that has stuck for these few months have been the dreams. They seems SO REAL! But I can say I rather have some dreams than those scary anxiety attacks I use to get, and those depressed bed sobs. Lexapro has changed my life! Before this medication my life was hitting rock bottom. My Anxiety was so severe it took over my life. I obsessed over everything, overthought everything, felt like at any moment I was going to die. I was on edge every second. My blood pressure was always high and I'm only 24! I had this obsession of dying in a car accident, it came to a point I couldnt ride in a car with anyone else unless I was driving. If I did I would get panic attacks. My depression was also bad and also had an eating disorder. I felt like I was never going to be happy. Was never going to be happy in a relationship, or in my job, or even be able to hug my own mother again. I'm happy the people in my life noticed how much my disorders were taking over my life and helped me make a change. Lexapro helped my life. I hope my review will change yours."

Kimmybabyy1991 January 22, 2016

191 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I took many SSRI medications in the past for anxiety/depression but was unable to handle all the negative side effects. I've spent the last 3 years dealing with daily fatigue to the point of just feeling sick every day, so work and bed became my home. I couldn't find the energy to go shop, visit my son, be with friends, attend church, I just felt SICK .Daily crying spells every morning and an awful pain on the inside I can't describe. I didn't know what was wrong with me but I knew it wasn't normal and was only getting worse.!!!! ....Dr gave me 10 mg. Of LEXAPRO ..first pill very sick but have been on it 4 weeks now. Thank goodness FOR THIS MEDICATION!!!!! It took several weeks but as weeks go by I feel even better !!!! :))))"

Kgregory47 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2016

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety "I took this for several years. I would occasionally switch to something else, but I always came back to it. While effective, it caused me to gain a lot of weight."

Miss Mel (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2016