User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 5)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 272 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 36 reviews 46 medications

7.2
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1224 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Lexapro

For Depression "I've been on 10mg of lexapro for a little over a month now. My depression like I've said before has lifted. I do have some spells here & there. My anxiety is still an issue just not as bad as it was. However I did start getting jittery/shaky. I'm not sure what that could be caused from!? I do take clonezapam when I start to feel those symptoms coming on. But I'm trying to not depend on it. I'm not sure if my dose of the lexapro needs to go up, I really don't want to go up. I'm hoping I can go off this medication by summer time."

Crazybaby February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have been taking lexapro for about six months now. I was put on it for a panic attack and mild depression. I am someone who never takes meds unless I have too and was very worried about being on this drug because I feared the side affects when it would be time to get off. I decided on therapy and lexapro. I am only on ten milagrams, 39 and petite. I can't say that this drug has caused me weight gain but if I am extra hungry I choose a healthier snack. I will say that the first few days of taking the med I did feel tired, and tense in my arms but I will say the panic attack attributed to that. I am doing great I am more relaxed and happier . Therapy is key too. Hang in there and talk to someone!!"

Zoeroc123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro has changed my life for the better. When I was in my early 20's, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and depression. I took Lexapro for about 15 years until recently weaning off of it because I was feeling great. That was a mistake. Three months after weaning, I started to suffer from severe anxiety and depression, and now have starting taking Lexapro again with the help of a therapist and my doctor who specializes in stress management. The day I went back on Lexapro, I started to feel better. I have been able to sleep and focus on my job and my life has improved greatly. I am convinced that going back on Lexapro saved my marriage and my relationship with my 2 1/2 year old son."

emiller0408 February 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had been on Lexapro 20mg for years and was tired of the weight gain and thought I was okay enough to be off of it. Weaned myself off of it over a long time and went through all of the brain zaps, confusion, exhaustion, etc. But, finally I was off it. I was starting to get depressed again and not very clear thoughts but I thought I could handle it. Then, I got the flu and was on Tamiflu (never again) and all of the depression and anxiety raised its ugly head again. Could not shake it. The horrible thoughts, depression, hopelessness, insomnia, etc. I started a week ago back on Lexapro 5mg and already feel much better. I am starting to get more tired during the day but I do not care. I may bump up to 10mg. If you need it, you need it."

sas63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Went on these 8 weeks ago. 4 weeks on 10mg then 4 weeks on 20mg. They've just started to work properly and I feel much more positive. To get the most benefit I've had to stop drinking and improve my diet. I was pretty depressed and having anxious thoughts for two years before taking these. I've taken Elavil, Remeron and Lustral before but not really had good results. Felt odd at first but side effects have reduced. Still having strange feeling yawns, slightly delayed and weaker orgasm (was much worse to begin with), along with a little insomnia. I'm putting up with these. I think Lexapro is "cleaner" than the other SSRIs and more precise. I plan to take these for a year and then take a break, but will need them again in the future."

Ozzywozzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I first went on Lexapro 10mg in 2010. I was previously on Paxil and Klonipin and while they weren't too bad I wasn't myself. I switched to Lexapro 10mg and it immediately helped me. I felt great except for some weight gain. In 2012 I began to get depressed and than due to some high stress situations I had a small panic attack which then followed with the return of GAD. My doctor increased the dosage to 20mg and also added Klonipin. This only made we feel worse. I finally switched to Effexor and Remeron which was better but not great. last year I decided to give Lexapro another shot and it's been 5 months that I've been on it. Unfortunately I have also had to take Adivan and the experience has been horrible. This week I will switch to Zoloft"

DesparateForRelief (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I broke out in hives and was very lethargic when I woke up and about 3 hours later was still tired"

Heidipoo January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder, and took Lexapro for a few years for my depression. At first in helped, but then it stopped working. I am now on Cymbalta."

BipolarGirl31 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was once you, anxiously reading reviews for Lexapro. I began getting severe anxiety and mild depression and my doctor recommended 10mg of Lexapro. I have never liked taking drugs, but I felt like it was my only choice. The first 2-3 weeks my experience worsened. Every side effect you could have, I had. Drowsiness, sleep problems, nausea, vomiting, decreased libido, constant yawning, the list goes on. However it started to lighten up every week. By Week 6, every side effect was gone. 11 months later and I'm still on 10mg and I can't explain how much my life has improved over the past year. My life is back. I'm happier than ever and enjoying every aspect of life again. It may be hard at the start, but it's worth it. I believe in you! peace"

Tigga (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Today was my first day and I feel amazing. Life is on the right track. I feel free from bondage. Small things don't matter anymore. I love the new me"

Wow87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Didn't notice an effect yet..."

M246 January 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Supposed to be 6 weeks to take effect. I felt instantly calmer, happen the NEXT day! Couldn't believe it. Started at 10mg moved to 20 MG in year of use. My problem now is its been 7 years of working for me but 20mg doesn't have same effect of earlier years. I want to have increase in MG use. How to I get doctor to do this?"

Kat Suter (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I hated lexapro I tried it twice with 20mg and had to stop taking it, Every time I took it I threw up a lot, I felt horrible I felt like a zombie, I also had mild hallucinations that were not fun and rapid heartbeat it was just awful."

Vomiting, Hallucinations (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Wow, just wow. It's been almost going on 2 months, and I feel like a completely better person. First of all hang in there. Side effects are hard the first week but you will get levelled out. I go to the gym and don't have an anxiety attack and run out after only 30 minutes thinking I'm dying. The fear factor has went away and that's the first thing I have noticed. My overall mental balance and mood has dramatically improved, I don't feel as off in a chemical imbalanced but more balanced and confident. I don't ever want to get off this."

5mg (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on lexapro for almost a week... I've been through hell within these past few months with trying to get help. Finally got in with a new dr. & My dr. prescribed me lexapro & adderal. The lexapro I take at night, because it makes me tired. It has eased up my depression. However I have an upset stomach all the time now. But my anxiety is bad again. Uncontrollable crying episodes are back. Not sure if it's the adderal making me anxious... but it's hell. My clozapine isn't even working anymore like it was. That medication made me feel normal. Now it's not working. I was told lexapro would help my anxiety, & it hasn't."

Blue star January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "My son was a heroin addict which upon learning about it sent me to a very high anxiety level. If he wouldn't answer the phone by the time I drove home in my mind I thought for sure he was dead. This medicine made me normal again no thoughts like before no crying episodes and just calm. I'm on 10 mg been on it 2 years. Just feeling great"

Drososny (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "This is a wonder drug. If you suffer from any type of anxiety, especially PTSD, and depression, especially major depression, this drug will ease your symptoms to a minimal. This is a "clean" feeling drugs and works great. Now the bad side: this drug has way too many side effects to recommend to anyone that is not retired or hospitalized. Without adjunctive therapy with an atypical antipsychotic this drug will make you numb and turn you into the walking dead. Cloudy, foggy, and lethargic with memory issues are the main side effects associated with this drug. Further side effects include but are not limited to erectile dysfunction and the libido of a 90 year old man. Aside from these effects this is a super SSRI!"

Grimace McShake (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I've had anxiety and severe panic attacks for a year now. 10 mg helped but still had attacks on the weekend. I just started 20 mg so hopefully that will stop them completely! The two weeks of side effects (headache, insomnia) are worth the end result!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Been on it about 2weeks don't feel any better"

Ellabow (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on lex for almost a month and so far my side effects have been minimal. The first week, although I didn't have anxiety problems, it seemed to spark a few anxiety episodes. Nothing major. I started with 10mg and today is my first day of 20mgs. I'm a little worried about side effects. I'm still having a problem wanting to get out of bed. I just feel like I have no energy to do anything and I hate this feeling hence the increase to 20mgs. I'm going to stick with it because although I'm still struggling with the lack of energy, is helped at least put a few smiles back on my face here and there. All I know is I want to get better, I have to get better! Good luck everyone I'll check back in 3 or 4 wks & give a complete update."

Life will get better... (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was put on Lexapro 3 years ago to treat depression & Premenstrual dysphoric disorder. The first 2 months were standard. Adjusting and getting the dose right. I ended up on 20mg. After the initial adjustment, I experienced panic attacks, which came frequently, worsening anxiety - over 3 years, gained 12kg. It in no way helped PMDD. I weened myself from 20mg down to 5mg over 6 months which was HELL then stayed on 5mg for another 12 months. I have since had my ovaries removed and a total hysterectomy to get rid of PMDD. Now 4 weeks ago, I stopped the 5mg, cold turkey, as the tapering was so bad. Lexapro took so much of my life, and coming off is the hardest thing I've ever done and I'm still withdrawing after 4 weeks. it's been a nightmare!"

Shayro January 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "After I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety, I was prescribed Zoloft 50mg at first. Taking 25mg for a week, and slowly increasing to 50 mg, then 100mg. It was horrible. The first two weeks I ended up restless and could not sleep, I was also shivering and tense during the day. I was then prescribed Lexapro, which helped me get back to my normal sleeping schedule. It did help with my anxiety more, but it did not do much for my depression. My constant hopelessness went away, but I didn't really find the will to commit to goals, motivate myself, and just become more content. I'm really just feeling like I'm in the middle. It's been more than 7 weeks now on Lexapro and I might look to change to something different."

laurar1993 January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I'm on the 3rd month of taking lexapro , started off with 2.5mg every night for about a week, then upped to 5mg and when I saw my doctor again 2 weeks later he told me to try the 10mg and I have been on 10mg ever since. At first it's none stop drowsiness weird random dreams and anxiety and insomnia at night. For a good 4-5 weeks , but after that it's cravings and you eat more and calmly and it gets better! It has work wonders! Hopefully it continues to work!"

Khriz December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "My rheumatologist put me on Lexapro for both depression & fibromyalgia, after Cymbalta stopped working for me. I started it two weeks ago Tuesday & I absolutely love what it's doing for my depression & anxiety but hate that it's caused me to gain at least 5 lbs already. I'm going to try to stick with it for another 4-6 wks, but if my weight continues to increase, I'll have to wean off of it. I dread weaning off of antidepressants."

J'erin31 (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "After the death of one of my relative,my whole world changed. I thought it was due to my emotional nature. I started having panic attacks, lack of interest, unusual feeling of fear, lack of appetite, was not able to look after myself or my family. I thought that I was going to die.I t was all unbearable. But believe me lexapro is really great .After 8 weeks, I started feeling my normal self. Mild side effects: yawning, tiredness. But it may be due to my illness rather than the medicine effect. After taking this medicine, I got my strength back. It has saved my life. Just give it a try and hang on there for at least 2 months. It can really save your life too."

Got my life back (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2016