User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 2)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 262 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 35 reviews 46 medications

7.2
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1203 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is my fourth month on Lexapro. I was having debilitating anxiety and phobias that interfered greatly with my life and my Dr said was causing me to be depressed. I never wanted to take a medicine before because I was too scared (anxiety) but I'm so glad my Dr talked me into it. Other people even notice a difference in me and say I just look better. I feel so much better. I'm not scared all the time and having dissociative thoughts. My fear kept me in bed because I couldn't make a decision but now I get up and do all the things I love again and I'm not so tired. The first few weeks were hell with side effects but I knew those would wear off and they did. You just have to stick it out. But then again, nobody knows how anyone will react."

CollegeStudentAnna June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Best antidepressant out there! 5mg was enough and still working great!!"

Sarahaga1999 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started taking lexapro my first semester of sophomore year in college for depression and anxiety and have been taking it for about six months now. My anxiety causes me to have extreme panic attacks where I break out in rashes and get frequent bloody noses. Since being on lexapro, I have not had a single attack! I also haven't had any extreme side effects although I have had increased appetite and have gone from 95-100lbs to about 115lbs. However, the withdrawal symptoms are very serious, take it everyday and try not to skip any days. I got a nasty cold and stopped taking it for awhile and then spent a whole week thinking I had a horrible flu (nausea, vomiting, headaches) only to realize I was going through withdrawals."

milkyaves June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "For me, lexapro stopped the negative thinking. It slowed it all down, the suicidal thoughts, the rumination, the negative was gone. I was on 5mg, decided I didn't want to be on it. I wanted to face my fears, my tears, my sadness, my negative, etc. I wanted to control it, not have lexapro control it. It covers up underlying issues that need to be dealt with constructively. I've been tapering off, I'm down to 1mg, maybe less. I'm learning to deal with thoughts, the few that have come back by praying, breathing and relaxing. Opening up to people about my fears, my negative thinking, letting others guide me into positive thinking has helped tremendously. Take the meds, but work towards resolving the underlying problem and coming off of lexapro."

Poppajoeyoung (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Hi, actually I was diagnosed with MDD and GAD by my doctor and was prescribed this pills, which helped me somehow but made my mind much too slow. I have seen reviews of this, where people taking it for many years. But I don't want to be on these pills, I wanted to be normal myself and not because of this pills. I tell you this pills will take you nowhere. It will help but you have to take it for lifetime. After thinking about it I searched about effective measures and after 6 months I found it. It was YOGA. And I was fixed within a month. Please try yoga, you will also get fixed. I am much better as a person which I was before depression. I commented because I wanted to help those who come in these sites to see reviews."

Laka May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After I gave birth to my son almost 3 years ago. I suffered from GAD and had 3-4x panic attacks, negative thoughts, sweating, tightening of my chest, can't breath, restlessness, name it....to the point I can't function and can't even take care of my son. I've started taking lexapro 5mg for 1 week I had the worst side effects to the point I don't want to eat and take a bath...it worsen my anxiety symptoms 10x but after a couple of weeks lexapro begins to kick in but not that optimal effect. After 6 months of taking lexapro 10mg signs and symptoms started to subside. This medicine really helps me. Lifesaver! Just be patient. I took it for 1 year and 5 months.I was cured."

Brave Mom May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I had to start at 5 mg and work my way up because I'm a baby, but I definitely feel better and oddly enough, my headaches have improved after 20 years. I don't feel any different, I'm just worrying less and not feeling the physical symptoms of anxiety. It still comes and goes a small bit, but it's WAY better!"

Laurd May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I had tried everything meditation, herbal supplements, yoga, exercise, healthy eating. I was doing everything "right" however I was in a constant state of unrest and having about 5 panic attacks a day. I would go days without eating or drinking water and then collapsing. My anxiety was so high, was sick all the time gut issues, headaches, dizziness, general fog and feeling completely out of it and detached. It came to the point that something needed to change - so I sucked it up and tried Lexapro. If you are reading this YOU CAN FEEL BETTER. I was scared I would feel like a zombie and loose myself - but it just takes the edge off and you will start to feel lighter and free and it will let therapy and meditation work."

Triss12 May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Pros- fast onset, felt it in just a few days. Works well for anxiety/depression. I no longer obsessively worry. No weight gain, decreased appetite (fabulous) Cons- Constant head/neck/shoulder/lower back pain, can't sleep a full night without waking up at least 5 times (really frustrating), decreased interest and ability to have sex. I have tried all the SSRIs and this will be the last one before I give up on SSRIs all together. Will probably have to take Remeron to sleep, I didn't really want to be on 2 meds but I need to sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I ended up on Escitalopram about 2-3 years ago because the previous med (Effexor XR) was causing steady weight gain I just couldn't manage anymore (50+ lbs. in 9 months). And this has hands down been the best med I've ever been on. It doesn't seem to affect my weight at all, and I feel completely "normal" for possibly the first time since childhood (about 30 years ago). I'm on 20mg, as 10mg just wasn't quite cutting it, and my doctor also later added Buspirone to help with some lingering anxiety. I found Effexor to be generally more effective for anxiety, and Lexapro more effective for Depression, so I think this Escitalopram/Buspirone combo works well for me."

xwpblue (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "The best anti-depressant I have ever experienced, I couldn't sleep longer than 5 to 6 hours a night of broken sleep, now I average 8 hours of fit full sleep. When things don't go my way now I simply shrug my shoulders, before I thought the World was conspiring against me. The drug seemed to work for me almost instantly, didn't take me the normal 4 weeks before I noticed an improvement in my mental well-being. Can't thank the creators enough. Big ups!!"

Timmy Tonsil (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After regularly seeing a cognitive-behavior psychologist, who helped me so much, I decided that although my anxiety was significantly reduced, and I was beginning to feel and act like a normal human being, I felt I would benefit even more if I took medication in addition to therapy. Although I was getting far fewer panic attacks than when I had started therapy, I still got them occasionally. I wanted to prevent them permanently, and take the edge off generally. My psychiatrist, and my dad who is also a psychiatrist, recommended Lexapro. Lexapro is the first and only anti-depressant I've ever taken, and I don't think I'll ever switch! I am the happiest I've ever been. Lexapro and therapy have helped me begin to love and respect myself. 10/10"

Jeff777 May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Last winter, a number of extremely stressful events sent me into an emotional and psychological tailspin. I began having anxiety attacks and intrusive thoughts, which were hellish. I awoke every morning with a feeling of utter horror. Finally, I saw a psychiatrist who prescribed Lexapro. He warned me that the side effects could be awful and to start slowly. I began with 2.5mg and increased by 2.5 every 5 days, or after side effects subsided. They included: WORSE anxiety, WORSE intrusive thoughts, extreme drowsiness during the day and a "caffeinated" feeling at night. But, slowly this went away. 1 month later, the terrible thoughts are GONE. Anxiety almost vanished. I am coping, and sleeping well. So, so grateful. LIFE-CHANGING!"

Niniche (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Difficult personal situations caused my Ativan usage to creep up to 3-4x/day. When I started being perimenopause, I was also suffering with terrible depression, which I have never had before. My GYN prescribed Lexapro, and I've always been against taking an SSRI because of the side effects and feeling like I could just "work through" the anxiety, but the depression was debilitating. I forced myself to take the first pill, and the next day, I realized I wasn't under a cloud of stress anymore. It worked well for about 3 weeks, and then I was irritable and the anxiety was back. I just started on 20mg and feel optimistic. Only minor side effects: headache, some nausea the first few days, insomnia. I've lost weight, which is a plus!"

Tante (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "All I can say is wow. I can't believe the difference Lexapro has made in my life. I used to have horrible anxiety, suicidal thoughts, no motivation. Now I am excited for life, chasing after it. Colors are brighter, everything tastes better. Memories of my childhood that I could't recall before came back. I've also been waking up early when I used to fight to wake up at noon. Now, these results took a while. I felt an improvement in mood at about three weeks, and an increase in motivation at about five weeks. The first two weeks were rough- I experienced many side effects including mood swings, night sweats, nausea, increase in intrusive thoughts... but boy was it worth it."

lulzcat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've suffered with social anxiety for around 2 years , I wouldn't leave my house or my bedroom it was so so bad I even had to drop out of school over it. A year passed and my anxiety got much worse I felt like I was going crazy. Social anxiety turned into anxiety all together I felt like I was loosing my mind. I looked in the mirror and didn't know who I was I was hallucinating when I closed my eyes seeing pictures and objects. I would even talk to myself like a mini conversation going into my head. I got so so depressed over it where I would cry every single day and stay in bed. I became so suicidal. I started taking 5mg lexapro and it changed my life I still suffer with the thoughts but so bad anymore I can get out of bed and enjoy life"

Anxietyhelp May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Before I started taking lexapro I had recurring suicidal thoughts constantly. I've been taking it for 3 months now and I honestly can't believe how great the results are. I have zero suicidal thoughts, which is a first. My anxiety has pretty much disappeared completely, which I didn't even realize that I had some anxiety until the medicine started working. I actually get up and do stuff again! I finally got my life back under control thanks to lexapro. I was afraid to take it at first because I was afraid to gain weight like some people experience, and I actually have gained 5 lbs but it actually looks good on me because I was extremely slender before. I'm on 10 mg btw."

Travis20297 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "This medication is possibly good for thousands of patients but gave me agitation and hot feet after using only for only 3 days . These symptoms might happened to others as any medicine probably cause reaction to any individual."

M hosseni (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Miracle drug for me. Only med that has ever helped with my depression."

SunflowerGrammy (taken for 10 years or more) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I developed terrible heart palpitations on Lexapro and had to stop using it. Unfortunately the heart palpitations are still occurring even though I have been off the drug for almost 3 months."

alpha23 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro is very successful in decreasing my anxiety levels from moderately high to almost nonexistent. Before Lex, any kind of public speaking would give me HIGH anxiety (lots of physical and mental anxiety symptoms), whereas after Lex I felt close to nothing right before giving a very important presentation. Same with social anxiety - if you have it, symptoms will largely go away with Lex. It is really cool but also kind of scary how effectively this med takes away anxiety, to the point where sometimes I wonder, maybe I SHOULD be feeling anxiety in this situation? Cons: I feel emotionally numb, fat, and constantly sleepy. Caffeine will be your best friend!"

koolaidnovel (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After struggling with severe anxiety (PTSD) and mild depression for years, Lexapro made a huge different. I had done therapy, self-help, and religion (which helped me personally), but it still seemed something just wasn't "quite right." Doctor prescribed 10mg Lexapro and I've never felt better. The world is a different place, not scary, no depressing, just balanced, happy. The first few weeks I had severe drowsiness (I've never slept so much in my life), and a few "head shocks" or "exploding head" events, but it wasn't too bad. The drowsiness was worse, thankfully I had a lot of work built up at my job. A month and a half later and the drowsiness has essentially subsided. I recommend trying this drug if you have anxiety."

Typicalskeleton April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm in a very depressed mood all the time, my doctor put me in lexapro and xanax, but my depression is still there mostly cuz of money, I got way behind and that helped put me in a depressive mood, I'm 74 will b 75 on May 1 and took my granddaughter and her two boys ages 14 and 12 but that helped with my depression cuz supporting them put me behind in my bills, I'm struggling, she just got a job but its temporary, the 12 yr old is a backtalker and at my age it bothers me very much. But the lexapro does help some since my doctor upped my dosage to 20 mg, I can't put them in the street, but grandson who is 35 got divorced last yr and he helps me around the house. and I also suffer from 5 compressed disks in my low back and now travels down my leg"

dancingbug (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Lexapro was a miracle drug for me as far as treating my severe health anxiety and PTSD. It gave me my life back. I can truly say I was my normal self 98% of the time. However it caused me to have extreme muscle tension and headaches. I was even diagnosed with TMJ and was sleeping with a mouthguard at night. Weaning off Lexapro was horrific for me. It took a good 3 months for all the withdrawal symptoms to subside. Thankfully the headaches and stiff jaw got better as well. I'm sad I can't take Lexapro anymore. It saved my life. I'm about to start on Prozac. We'll see what happens."

RVAmommy April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I'm someone that has been generally anxious for my whole life with spells of depression sprinkled in. Recently I thought I had been improving with my anxiety but then I had a panic attack, out of the blue, with no rhyme or reason; it just happened. I was afraid this would affect my work so I finally pushed myself to see a psychiatrist, who suggested that Lexapro would be an appropriate option. I started taking it and had some nasty side affects (no appetite, nausea, slight dizziness, jitters, tenseness) for the first two days but after that I noticed how well it was working. My anxiety has lessened immensely and it's giving me a second chance I never knew I wanted. I'm still in the first week of trying it but it's worked excellently so far!"

RosyPosie (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017