User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 2)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Major Depressive Disorder
7.2

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,251 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "Oh my goodness! Can I give this drug a negative rating? Took it for one day and felt like a dang maniac! Took it before bed, and the next morning I woke up and felt so nauseous. I have taken Zoloft and Paxil at other times in life and I have never felt so sick and manic - absolute worst feeling ever! Took several days for that one dose to leave my system. However, having sex that night I had the most intense orgasm!"

TLWea (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Oh my goodness I took lexapro 10 mg ONCE 3 nights ago I woke up feeling crazy, heart racing and my veins were on fire it was like my body went into a total shock. It has been over 48 hours and I'm still waiting for the effects to go away the depression is not so bad I feel better and have more energy to actually do Day to Day things. But the pain in my veins still pops up and the heart palpitations won't stop. I don't want to tell anyone not to take medicine when they need it but I am a natural remedy lover. I went to the beach yesterday I relaxed all day I ate three meals I drank lots of water and have been trying to sweat the pill out. This pill made me feel like I could deal with the panic better than actual medicine. Scariest experience ever."

Maris_89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had a terrible experience on this drug. It resulted in me having regular panic attacks, heart palpitations, caused me to become trapped in negative state and paranoid. I'm not one who reviews meds very often but this medication proved to be very dangerous for me. I spent a lot of time in a state of paranoia. My Dr did not listen to me when I kept stating it wasn't right for me. In the end I reduced my dose ( I don't condone this though ) and have been off it for around 4 months now. I can honestly say I'm doing much better , able to function, don't stay on states of paranoia etc. I'm also able to make clear choices etc."

Katbb September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Last week, I was doing the same thing you are probably doing. Scouring the internet for any reviews on Lexapro that tell me when it is going to start working. I needed any kind of reassurance that the side effects would be worth it. I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep, couldn't stop crying or obsessing over the symptoms of my anxiety, and was struggling to function with a 3 month old baby at home and just going back to a stressful job. It is day 12 on Lexapro, and I feel normal. I have slept the last 3 nights without Ambien, and I am calm. I feel genuinely happy for the first time in a month. I am feeling super encouraged and hopeful. I just wanted to share my experience and give you the reassurance you are probably looking for."

Johnsont44 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was on 20mg of Celexa for 4 years for euphoric disorder. About 1 week before my period I would feel creepy cawling tingles up my spine and into my brain. I would have white hot temper outbursts. I was also abusing alcohol. Geez, great times. Now I haven't drank in 7 years. Celexa at that time was a God send. Never felt better. Than 3 weeks ago the medicine stopped working and I had to go to the ER twice in 1 weekend. The anxiety, vomitting, nausea, hot flashes and cold sweats were unmanageable. Finally my friend who is a Internist suggest Lexapro 10mg. I agreed and took it just like Celexa, before bed. I woke a new woman. All side effects gone, and normal feelings of happiness are in my heart. First day, so things may change, but I'm better."

Better321 September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Before you read everyone's comments, understand that mental illness is not all the same and isn't fully understood. (With your doctor) you have to experiment which out works best for you. All medications take a few months to work for their full potential. Take them exactly how your doctor recommends them and take them exactly on time. I know it's hard but be patient, you'll get their and it'll change your life. I've been taking Lexapro ( escitalopram ) for a few years now. Before taking it, I tried everything in the book. I went from sweaty palms, forgetful thoughts, sweaty armpits, loss of sleep, overwhelmed with anxiety, stomach issues...etc to feeling sharp, happy and not depressed. I take it exactly within 24 hours everyday."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Have been taking for over 10 years mixed in with a period of about 2 years when my doctor took me off because of depression symptoms subsiding. The majority of the time I have been on 10mg, last 2 years have had dose raised to 20mg. The drug has worked great for me. Terrific improvement from when I started and 99% reduction in panic attacks. Reduction in OCD symptoms as well. Well tolerated for me at least, but I realize with these medications everyone is different. It’s not perfect but the relief I got was real and changed my life. For that I am thankful."

Jay more September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I was given this to treat my depression. This actually launched me into a full-blown manic state and this is how they found out I was bi-polar. Just be careful and make sure you have the right diagnosis from your doctor."

kayyyyy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is the second time trying Cipralex. The first time for 6 months on 10mg. I struggled at that time with severe anxiety attacks that seemed to come out of nowhere, but found later on that it was caused by depression. Because I am very sensitive to medications and nausea, I fought to not take meds for fear it might get worse. The Cipralex and practicing CBT made me feel fearless. I could travel, drive, and function again. This is my second time being on it due to a new job and moving to a new province. I needed some extra support. I also eat well and exercise. I take 5mg because my anxiety/lifestyle is more managed over the years with exercise and meditation. On 5mg I actually feel so great! Increased appetite, relaxed, happy."

Calis (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Anxiety has been crazy since moving cities and hard finding work. I can't calm down. Started lexapro or the generic brand at 10mg a day. Had orgasm problems first like 4-5 days hard to urinate. Mild head ache. And vivid dreams. But I stuck it out after two weeks side effect mostly went away and doctor instructed to up it to 20mg a day and now I honestly feel no extra side effects most have all gone away already by week 3. I feel a little better about being able to control my anxiety and intrusive thoughts. But still feel kinda depressed and anti social. I'm gonna keep trying tho. Its helped the anxiety already so I think it'll take longer for everything to settle in. I take it at night cause it makes it sleepy. Wake up fine the next day."

Thisguy0000 August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I would like to add to everyones into, the first day of taking your low dose maybe try take your first day on a non work day! Both days I went back on it I threw up on day one and felt nauseous. Everyone is different but that was me! My starting dose for week one was 10mg then brought up to 15. Do not let this put you off as after day one, this goes away and it's all back to normal :)"

Feelbetterx August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "Started at 17 for MDD & GAD, I'm almost 20 and recently dx'd w BPD now (comorbid w the above). 5mg first week, 10mg 2 years, 20mg 5 months. First week side effects inc'd but not lim'd to: yawning, sweating (esp night), brain fog, nausea, hypomania, lack of focus. These only came back with cold turkey withdrawals (2 or more missed doses). Brain zaps, muscles seizing up and panic were common for withdrawal for me too. Lexy helped me minimise/blunt emotional responses and therefore improve cognition (could still cry etc tho), also boosted my mood noticeably but not intensely. This lasted a year before this med completely stopped working at all, eventual 20mg bump did nothing. Gentle first antid.. tapering off now, prob going for SNRI next."

cappycorn (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I took 1 pill and had rapid heart beat and elevated blood pressure hours after taking. I did not take another, but day 2 I had a horrible headache and nausea, and I was also seeing things. I felt like I was going crazy and I wanted to do anything to get it to stop. It has given me four panic attacks in three days whereas I only ever had 2 in my whole life. This isn't worth it and I'd take depression over this nuttiness any day."

April28389495737 August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Been on it for 8 weeks. Feeling much calmer and even. Sleeping better. Lost 5 pounds which is good. Has kept my appetite down and increased satiety. Downside is high fatigue some days and maybe some reflux."

Xylophonic August 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "If I were to just review this drug from an anxiety/fear of social interaction standpoint, I would say that Lexapro is awesome. Lexapro has stopped me from having tremors every time someone talked to me out of the blue, and I do not mind being in the spotlight anymore during classes. For (group) presentations, I still feel physical symptoms and my tremor building up, but not nearly as much as I did without Lexapro. My biggest fear happens to be giving presentations and this is what I am taking it for primarily. I think if I were to do a standalone presentation, I would still have A LOT of difficulty focusing on the topic at hand but not because of anxiety. This drug makes it very hard for me to focus in school. Hope to go down to 5mg from 10"

Deeeee August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "The start of their medication was horrible I am not going to sugar coat it for you. I was tired, had yawns, and brain zaps. I felt sick and nausea all the time. It was like the worst hangover all the time. After about 3 weeks I increased my dose from 10mg to 15mg. Again a lot of side effects. I felt terrible. Now 3 years later I am on 30mg and I don't have anxiety anymore. It took about 6 months for my body to adjust and settle down. I promise you it gets better. Stay with it, like everyone else says it works. It gets better. I can live my life now, I can be a parent, I graduated, I had another child. I'll be in this forever if I have to!"

EmmaMumVegan August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on this for over 18 months. I went from stress starving myself I was so anxious and so much more to my old weight and a healthy outlook about myself and others. My dosage varied between 10mg up to 40mg during a rough stretch. The only thing I will say is that even though it is a far-flung side effect for some, the decreased libido was the only downside for me. Mine was never hyper but it had a dull edge on it. At a lower dosage there is no loss of it but be mindful."

John N. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Worked!!! as quick as I took it the next day was beautiful... I laugh and play with my child so much more!! A month in and I feel like my old self.. Had dealt with depression 6 yrs and didn't know.. Just felt bad all the time and finally took it.. Now I'm on bottle #2 THUMBS up!!"

Mamaof1 August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Took this medication a little over a year ago. Terrible, terrible experience. Slept almost all day and when I wasn't asleep I was in constant panic to the point of tears. It's hard to remember a time in my life (even with anxiety and depression) where I cried more. I have found however that I am very sensitive to meds and so I'm sure this was part of it. Would not touch it with a 10-foot pole."

auguries August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This drug is pretty great for depression, however I am on it for serious anxiety and it has only exacerbated it for me. I feel agitated a lot and have insatiable hunger that has caused me to gain a few pounds. There have also been some sexual side effects that have made sex a little more of a challenge."

shatswan (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I took this a few years ago for anxiety, panic, OCD, and mild agoraphobia and claustrophobia. It helped tremendously. I don't recall any side effects besides hands being shaky and a little more forgetful. I had to stop when I was trying to become pregnant and I'm not sure if it was the weaning off this or the switching to Zoloft but that process wasn't too fun. Not awful though. Still prefer over Zoloft!"

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Lexapro 5-10 mg for 15 years and it has kept my panic attacks and GAD at bay. Only time I have a problem is when I decide I don't need to take the medication anymore and take myself off only to find my anxiety and panic attacks begin recurring. Dumb idea! For me, it's a long, difficult period of adjustment to get on Lexapro after getting off because of the side effects and the anxiety symptoms, (nausea, no appetite, nervousness, heartburn...) but, it's so worth it after the Lexapro begins working. Aaahh!"

Ms. Sunshine August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Lexapro (which is called Cipralex here in Canada) was what they put me on when I first became extremely anxious (after trying talk therapy and Ativan when needed). It KO'd my anxiety extremely well (alongside continued therapy). Not only my acute anxiety that was causing panic attacks and made me unable to leave the house was handled, but the social anxiety I've lived with all my life. However, it caused me to gain a significant amount of weight, my emotions were somewhat blunted, and for the first few months I was on it, I would get quite sleepy in the morning. It did stop working for me after about 2.5 years, but as short-term anxiety treatment it served me well."

Sjagauwbsksuvsk (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have noticed such a difference on this medication. I feel more calm about life in general. Social situations used to be extremely difficult for me and now I can be in a room full of people and not feel overwhelmed or anxious. Anyone who struggles with anxiety needs to give this a try. Social anxiety / GAD is a terrible thing to deal with but I feel betteR and now I wish I had this medication sooner."

katetyler (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've always had GAD, but ever since starting high school it's gotten x10 worse. Even though I would go see a therapist, and while it did help with coping, all of my anxiety symptoms I was experiencing got in the way of me living a normal life. I got on cipralex starting with 2.5 mg for a week, gradually increasing, now on 7.5 mg. I can honestly say that ever since starting this medication, my anxious thoughts are way better than they were, I can drive to a friends house without feeling anxious, the constant "what if" thoughts are gone, my bowel movements are much better, I'm socializing with people more, I barely cry, I see more colours and smells etc. I strongly recommend to teens struggling, because no one should have to :)"

oceanetia (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017