User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 2)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 271 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 36 reviews 46 medications

7.2
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1222 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "This drug -super small dose - has changed my life. I have been a nurse for 26 years. My stress and anxiety levels were at the max! I just wanted to sleep on my days off and I did not want to socialize. I was easily overwhelmed and worried constantly. I was just awful. I started lexapro at 10 mg and it was too much ! I backed down to 5 mg and the first 3 weeks were hell. I felt out of body - exhausted but could not sleep - it was just an awful three weeks. After reading many reviews to hang in there --- that's what I did. Around week 3-4 - I adjusted. I felt like my worries rolled off my back, I wanted to do things, I felt more energy than I had in years, I was laughing and finally listening to people did not annoy me! Hang in!!"

Stephanie 1970 July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I switched from Prozac was feeling amazing but there was one problem. It constipated me. I tried to stick to it but it never went away. I do suggest you try this medication because it worked amazing just couldn't handle that side effect. GOOD LUCK"

Wlunate June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro was fine. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't awful. It did lessen my anxiety, but not as much as I had hoped. Every time I went up in dose, I would start to dissociate more frequently, so that didn't really help. I completely lost my ability to orgasm, was constantly constipated, had headaches, and needed 10-12 hours of sleep a night to even begin to function the following day. Coming off of Lexapro was a disaster. I had brain zaps and sweats, and developed major depression, which I hadn't really dealt with ever before."

Courtney1123 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Lexapro helped when I was in college battling depression. I had to go to 30mg to notice a difference. Gained over 25 pounds , no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. After intense therapy and intense workouts my depression lifted after about 6 months. Came off lexapro after two years. Depression came back and lexapro did not work. Trying to get meds back stable. Trying lamatical and prozac now"

Beardman2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've only been on it for a couple months but it seems to have kicked in. I distinctly remember the moment I felt it; it was a sort of euphoria that felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. After that, it definitely died down. It has helped with anxiety and agitation, but I don't feel like it has been doing anything in the way of depression. It's also flattened me out quite a bit in lieu of helping me feel more balanced. I'm going to wait a little longer and then probably try something else."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Anxiety lifer here. My demon has gotten cruel in the past few years by manifesting itself in severe premature ventricular contraction (PVC's) every time I start to leave the house or get in a slightly stressful situation. After a massive panic attack on a flight home from London to DC, I decided I had enough. I told my GP I want to go back on Lexapro. Like every other time, Lexapro works almost immediately for me - my PVC's and agoraphobia have muted drastically on only 5mg a day! Yes there is slight weight gain and potential sexual side effects but I'll take those over the other stuff any day. It's cliche but I do feel like I have my life back. I even ventured out for a run around the city tonight with zero PVC's. Sucks being on a drug but I'm ok with it today."

CorbettTheFirst June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on Zoloft (Sertraline) in the past and now Lexapro. I find them equally effective and no real difference in side effects. Insomnia, dry mouth and yawning/jaw clenching for the first couple of weeks which is unpleasant but transient. My anxiety levels started to improve after a couple of weeks but didn't notice any major improvements in mood for 6-8 weeks and took 3 months to reach full effect. Definitely has helped me and I intend to stay on it long term. I have also tried valdoxan (agomelatine) in the past which did absolutely nothing for me and I went backwards while on it. SSRIs seem to work better for me."

Susie121 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I am on month 2 of starting Lexapro. I was on Celexa for 4 years top dose and the benefits were declining for me so my physician prescribed 20 MG of Lexapro to start with. Initially I had no side effects the first month. Now am finding that I have been having night sweats, strange vivid dreams and all of a sudden bad acne on my face and neck that I never really had before other than the occasional PMS breakout. My energy level has been wonderful as I was really starting to feel exhausted all the time for no reason while on Celexa and my attention span had dramatically increased since starting Lexapro as I used to have trouble keeping attention."

Orrwhat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I read so many scary things when I started Lexapro for GAD but I was so desperate to get my life back! I tried Zoloft and it had a really bad effect on me. I switched to Lexapro 10 mg after two weeks on the Zoloft and it took a bit for the Zoloft to leave my system (maybe a week)? After a couple weeks on Lexapro 10 mg I went to 15 mg. After one week on 15 it was like a light switch went off in my head. All the anxiety is gone. I had a lot of start up side effects most notably increased anxiety, lack of appetite, waking up with panic attacks and just feeling like crap. But at that point where it kicked in, all that is gone. I feel better than I have in years!!! Not the right med for everyone but give it a chance to see if it works for you."

AwesomeGurlz June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I used to suffer from panic attacks frequently that made me feel like I was constantly about to faint or have a heart attack. It was so bad at one point I couldn't leave the house. I was extremely worried about taking this (probably as a result of GAD I was diagnosed with) but I've been on lexapro since November last year and haven't had a panic attack since! It was hard getting used to lexapro at first and I experienced visual hallucinations upon waking up, but a small dose of valium helped take the edge off. Now anxiety isn't interfering with my daily life and I barely think about it. I'm now learning meditation, CBT and looking after my physical health so I can wean off the drug later in the year when I'm mentally ready for it"

Eloa7 June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was having horrible anxiety attacks, panic attacks and was border line manic. I was going through a lot of stress and hit my limit. My family urged me to see a Dr who started me on 2.5 lexapro for a week then up to 5 mg the week after. I stayed on 5 mg for 1 month seeing improvements. Eventually I decided to bump up to 7.5 which I'm currently on . I still get anxiety but I am able to feel in control. I don't have attacks anymore. I'm sleeping better and eating again. Side effects only lasted the first month . I got really tired 20 min after taking it , drowsy, night sweats. Make sure to take it with a snack, I find it hits the stomach like a rock. Over all has given me my life back. And I don't feel like I'm on medication."

Christine2425 June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribed this med for GAD/anxiety. Worst 10 days of my life. Nausea, retching, dilated pupils, insomnia and vivid dreams, but worse yet near constant panic attacks. Coming off it now. I understand this drug helps many people. Unfortunately I was not one of them."

Babe20 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "My anxiety peaked 6 years ago. Not only did I dread social interaction of any kind (talking to co-workers, going out with friends, even being around my own family) but I had experienced a panic attack on the freeway which kept me from driving anywhere far from my home for two years. I was extremely stubborn and didn't want chemicals to "change" my reality. I finally had to admit to myself that my reality sucked - bad. I'm overjoyed to report that Lexapro saved me. It took a month for me to realize I was greeting people in passing again. I drive on the freeway again and love being around people. Stick with it even if you feel "weird" at first. You CAN have your life back! I take it at night, the initial drowsiness helps me sleep."

MizLiss17 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I've been on Lexapro for maybe 1.5 years, and this drug has worked pretty well in reducing my anxiety and depression. I started on 10mg which may have helped a tiny bit, but I still felt awful. A month or two after having my dose increased to 20mg, I started to feel better. Lexapro helped me lift myself out of my ~6 month long period of anxiety and depression, but I wasn't "cured." I still have mental issues which I need to work on. In terms of side effects, there were almost none. I got headaches right when I started and also after going on 20mg, but they only lasted a few days. I also find my long-term memory is a bit worse, and time seems to fly by faster. Oh, and it's super cheap if you can get the generic version."

Tobey L June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "extreme increased anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "excellent med if you are afraid of side effects, had none. used for 10 yrs until stopped working. was on celexa also for 10 yrs excellent med for no side effects .both Lexapro and Celexa are excellent for treating mental disease. avoid ZOLOFT was on for two weeks my brain was in another dimension , made anxiety worse. now its hell on earth for me looking for another ssri. clonzepam is excellent for anxiety no side effects. docs wont prescribe it for me."

Anonymous June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "A year ago I had a major health scare that turned out to be fine in the end, but I ended up crashing, developing severe insomnia, severe anxiety, muscle twitches all over, major joint pain, brain fog and finally a depression. I resisted taking drugs as I thought I was going to get lots of side effects. I tried everything under the sun; yoga, meditation, acupuncture, tinctures, craniosacral therapy, psychotherapy, kinesiology etc. My psychiatrist and GP both strongly recommended I should take Lexapro. When I started pondering why I was living I started taking the meds. I started sleeping better and after some weeks the worst dread was gone and so was the anxiety. After 2 months I feel MUCH better and I hardly had any side effects at all!:)"

Olivia78 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "My experience with lexapro has been overall well, I suffer from a severe depression ever since I smoked a very potent strains of cannabis which triggered me to get severely depressed and anxious, I didn't take lexapro until about 6 months of it sitting in my drawer after manning up and growing the courage to take half of 10mg for a week until the side effects subsided and raised it to 10mg, I felt less anxious at first then after 2 weeks I raised it to 20mg and felt less depressed and that's what I'm currently on. I'm waiting till week 8 too see if it gets better to know if I should keep taking it."

James1738 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "For posterity, I'm currently also taking Wellbutrin, Trazodone, and I'll be starting Vyvanse soon. Past SSRI's include Prozac and Zoloft; Prozac worked great but then pooped out and Zoloft didn't do much of anything. My depression and anxiety have easily tripled over the past couple due to being sexually assaulted and the deaths of two very close friends. As a result, I get agitated extremely easily at work and feel extremely low and hopeless at home. I'm currently taking 20 mg Lexapro and I believe I just felt it kick in? It's like a warm hug for the brain. I'm not feeling irritable, I'm fairly relaxed, and I'm excited for the rest of my day. I feel like it's only going to get better from here."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This is my fourth month on Lexapro. I was having debilitating anxiety and phobias that interfered greatly with my life and my Dr said was causing me to be depressed. I never wanted to take a medicine before because I was too scared (anxiety) but I'm so glad my Dr talked me into it. Other people even notice a difference in me and say I just look better. I feel so much better. I'm not scared all the time and having dissociative thoughts. My fear kept me in bed because I couldn't make a decision but now I get up and do all the things I love again and I'm not so tired. The first few weeks were hell with side effects but I knew those would wear off and they did. You just have to stick it out. But then again, nobody knows how anyone will react."

CollegeStudentAnna June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Best antidepressant out there! 5mg was enough and still working great!!"

Sarahaga1999 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I started taking lexapro my first semester of sophomore year in college for depression and anxiety and have been taking it for about six months now. My anxiety causes me to have extreme panic attacks where I break out in rashes and get frequent bloody noses. Since being on lexapro, I have not had a single attack! I also haven't had any extreme side effects although I have had increased appetite and have gone from 95-100lbs to about 115lbs. However, the withdrawal symptoms are very serious, take it everyday and try not to skip any days. I got a nasty cold and stopped taking it for awhile and then spent a whole week thinking I had a horrible flu (nausea, vomiting, headaches) only to realize I was going through withdrawals."

milkyaves June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "For me, lexapro stopped the negative thinking. It slowed it all down, the suicidal thoughts, the rumination, the negative was gone. I was on 5mg, decided I didn't want to be on it. I wanted to face my fears, my tears, my sadness, my negative, etc. I wanted to control it, not have lexapro control it. It covers up underlying issues that need to be dealt with constructively. I've been tapering off, I'm down to 1mg, maybe less. I'm learning to deal with thoughts, the few that have come back by praying, breathing and relaxing. Opening up to people about my fears, my negative thinking, letting others guide me into positive thinking has helped tremendously. Take the meds, but work towards resolving the underlying problem and coming off of lexapro."

Poppajoeyoung (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Hi, actually I was diagnosed with MDD and GAD by my doctor and was prescribed this pills, which helped me somehow but made my mind much too slow. I have seen reviews of this, where people taking it for many years. But I don't want to be on these pills, I wanted to be normal myself and not because of this pills. I tell you this pills will take you nowhere. It will help but you have to take it for lifetime. After thinking about it I searched about effective measures and after 6 months I found it. It was YOGA. And I was fixed within a month. Please try yoga, you will also get fixed. I am much better as a person which I was before depression. I commented because I wanted to help those who come in these sites to see reviews."

Laka May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "After I gave birth to my son almost 3 years ago. I suffered from GAD and had 3-4x panic attacks, negative thoughts, sweating, tightening of my chest, can't breath, restlessness, name it....to the point I can't function and can't even take care of my son. I've started taking lexapro 5mg for 1 week I had the worst side effects to the point I don't want to eat and take a bath...it worsen my anxiety symptoms 10x but after a couple of weeks lexapro begins to kick in but not that optimal effect. After 6 months of taking lexapro 10mg signs and symptoms started to subside. This medicine really helps me. Lifesaver! Just be patient. I took it for 1 year and 5 months.I was cured."

Brave Mom May 28, 2017