User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 2)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 207 reviews 7 medications

Depression 373 reviews 78 medications

7.7
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1023 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "Started Lexapro 2006 for acute anxiety & depression. Within days I felt a shroud of darkness lift. After 12 months I felt it was changing me into a person with less emotions, so I went off it. Within a few weeks I felt a sharpness and sensitivity that had been missing but, any negative occurrences gave me intense anxiety. In late 2008 the GFC hit me hard. I was paralyzed with fear and had thoughts of suicide. In desperation I went back on lexapro and again, all the anxiety and fear went away. After a couple of years I went off it again and felt reasonably OK. Issues in 2013 caused me to attempt suicide. I survived and went back on Lexapro. I may have less emotions, but I can now deal with life. Strangely, It also fixed my AF heart condition"

kymbo58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been on lexapro for months now but recently i have been experiencing bad nausea at night only. Im thinking about switching if it doesn't stop (night 3)"

lozzz June 15, 2016

For Depression "I have been on 10mg. of Lexapro for about 4 weeks. I think in the first few weeks it made my depression worse. I began to have very crazy scary thoughts. I held on, now I am just sort of o.k., I am having a few hours a day of feeling a lot of relief, but still the morning is a down hill slope. I am going to give it a few more weeks. My anxiety has gotten a bit better."

Byrdy (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been dealing with anxiety and depression off and on most of my life. I have never previously asked for help because I thought it was a sign of weakness. Before I was waking up in tears, I was always angry, sure that everyone was judging me. It completely crippled me. I also was self-medicating with pot and with chocolate and my weight was ballooning. I finally asked for help and started on a generic lexapro 10 mg - 2 weeks ago and it is like a miracle. I'm sleeping well, not a tear shed, losing weight, have lost interest in both chocolate and pot. I feel content and happy yet I still feel like me. I wish I had asked for help a long time ago. Life is good!"

Deb P June 11, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was suffering from obsessive thoughts, anxiety, and depression. I wasn't functioning very well in my life. I was put on 20 mg of Lexapro. The first 4-6 weeks were hard. I had severe side effects and not sleeping. I stuck it out and am so happy. Lexapro has changed my life and the relationships I have with friends and family. I am also taking Trazadone at night to help my insomnia and depression."

COMOM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been on lexapro for five days now and I've never felt more anxious in my life, I haven't been eating and when I do eat nothing stays in my stomach long, my sleeping has been a nightmare, maybe 5 hours a night if I'm lucky, and I'm shaky all through the night and partially through the day, I feel like I'm going crazy but I keep reading reviews that side effects are awful then subside and the medication is great, I'm just really feeling like I'm losing it here"

Sara478 June 10, 2016

For Anxiety "Hi Everyone, I am a 22 yr old female and I have been on 10mg of lexapro for 2 weeks now and I thought I'd share my experience although everyone will react to medication differently. The first three days were awful. Nauseous to the point where I could barely move, terrible headaches, incredible hunger, yawning constantly and waking up all through out the night. On the 4th day most the side effects just stopped. Mostly the headaches and nauseous feeling. You really have to push through the initial side effects. All the racing thoughts immediately stopped, I am so much more calm, no more mood swings, social situations no longer bother me, I am just generally happier. I will also mention that I had none of the sexual side effects."

Stacijane7 June 10, 2016

Stacijane7 June 9, 2016

For Anxiety "I use to get in fights all the time!! My doctor prescribed Lexapro and I haven't been in a fight in 2 straight days."

Fightin 50th June 9, 2016

For Anxiety "I've had panic and anxiety really bad for 18 years. Some days where ok and other days where terrible . I forgot really what normal felt like. In 2012 it just got worse. Panic attacks every day. I couldn't control it no more. I broke down and seeked help. My Dr put me on lexpro. I was super scared at first to take it because of all the storys on the internet about it. I had a few side effects, but nothing to bad. Best thing I ever did. Been on lexpro for over two years now and not one single panic attack. I feel like a totally normal person, it's great. My life improved 100%, and that's no lie."

BillH71 June 7, 2016

For Anxiety "I am updating my last 8 star review of a week or 2 ago below in thread. Update: The sleep disruption/insomnia (oftentimes waking 2-4 am and not getting back to sleep) subsided after 3 weeks of starting the generic form of Lexapro (on 10 mg for almost a month). I am sleeping well again without assistance from Xanax. I haven't taken X in 5 nights and sleeping my usual 7 hours. It's wonderful. No anxiety either. Give this drug a chance if you can stick out the sleep problems. It works. I feel myself again and am not worrying over worrying about anxiety. Not afraid to go anywhere, for fear I'd get that old sense of dread and unease. I don't even think about it. It doesn't matter the time of day you take it by the way."

BeeBee888 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

For Anxiety "Due to my increasing anxiety and panic attacks I was prescribed Lexapro 10mg. During the first few weeks I became very sensitive and would nearly cry over simple things like a customer saying "please don't put this item in the bag with that item...". I had very high blood pressure, bad headaches, rapid heart beat, I would feel weak and my body would start shaking (especially my hands). One time I even thought I was having a minor heart attack. I decided to ween off Lexapro and change medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm a 63 yr old female, living alone. I've been on generic Lexapro since March 2016, 10mg. My dr. prescribed this after I described my high level of stress and anxiety, which caused sleepless nights. My extreme stress has been related to dealing with my elderly mother, who has signs of senility , but insists on living alone. There are other issues involved, but the point is: I'm 90% better. This medicine has 'fully kicked in', and I feel like a renewed person, with a greater quality of life. Sleeping through the night, and able to function & feel normal again. No words to describe the positive changes. Grateful this medicine worked for me!"

Imagine smiling (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2016

For Anxiety "Last summer I was prescribed lexapro under the name Liberium for my anxiety and depression. I was told to take 10mg once a day, but to ween myself onto it by taking half a pill a day for a week or two. Most of my time on Lexapro was blurry; I couldn't remember a lot. People around me could tell that I wasn't right. I stumbled a lot, slurred my words, and generally felt very irritable. My anxiety was through the roof but I had absolutely no depression. When coming down from the med, about 3 hours before the next dose, I literally couldn't move. Coming off of the med one day gave me a panic attack and what was diagnosed as a pseudo-seizure: non epileptic seizing while remaining completely conscious. I was taken away by force by ambulance."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was put on Klonaphin and Xanax for anxiety and depersonalization when i was 16. A doctor switched me from klonaphin to lexapro without any wearing. I have horrible withdrawl from the klonaphin and almost gave up on the lexapro cause i thought it was giving me these side effects. After just a few weeks i felt great! I didnt even notice until one day i sat and thought "hey im happy and i feel great!" 5 years later some anxiety and ocd is peaking threw. Dont be discouraged. This medicine isnt a cure-all but it works wonders. Give it a chance."

Tabathabelle June 5, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My anxiety got to the point where treatment wasn't an option, I had to try something. I gave Lexapro a chance. Its been good for me. The drug has slowed down my anxiety. I feel less anxious around people and in general I feel like my internal monologue has slowed down a bit. I've noticed when I'm around people I'm less reactive whereas before I was jumpy and unsettled. I am on 10mg. About a decade ago I tried zoloft and effexor both with mixed results. Currently I take Lexapro and Adderall. It seems to be a good combo for me. There have been some side effects. My sleep is disrupted at times, I have trouble reaching orgasm and sometimes I feel a bit lethargic. This drug is working well for me, I hope it continues to be effective."

John Ho June 1, 2016

For Depression "I had terrible anxiety and the beginnings of depression. I'd had bouts of depression throughout my life, and in October 2015 it became seriously challenging and I felt unable to cope. For the first time I asked my doctor for help and he suggested counseling with a psychologist and he also prescribed 10 mg of Lexapro (generic). For the first 3 weeks I had terrible diarrhea (which oddly at the time I did not associate with the Lexapro), and night sweats. I stuck with it, my doctor increased the dose to 15 mg and a couple weeks later to 20 mg. It then was reduced back to 10 mg in February and I've been taking 10 mg per day since then (now it's May 30th). This medicine has helped me so much! It let me "feel clearly" and changed my life."

DaveSaun May 31, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Lexapro has saved my life. I have been on it for one month and I have gone from a severely depressed recluse full of anger, rage and self hate, not wanting to see or hear from anyone ever. I am back at work, socialising, eating normally, playing sport and am about to book an overseas holiday. I felt some positive effects after two weeks and felt good after one month. Depression and social anxiety has definitely improved. I don't have any constant racing negative thoughts anymore, these disappeared after about a week and a half. I had very minor side effects but it was nothing that wasn't manageable, a few minor headaches and feeling spacey for the first week. I take 10mg at night because it makes me feel tired and I have a great sleep."

rk123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2016

For Anxiety "I first started lexapro when I had a massive panic attack in October 2015 it came out of no where and after seeing doctors they disagnosed me with health anxiety.. I'm a mum of 2 and I'm always constantly worrying if I have cancer or if that niggle in my leg was something bad... After my panic attack j was put on 2.5mg and the first week was horrible.. Nauseous, feeling Crap and solo tired... After that I started feeling so much better. I'm not on 15mg and very happy.. I started letting anxiety rule me life and it was turning me into someone I wasnt.. I've always been scared of the stigma of having to me on medication to get me through life however if it helps me be a happier person and a better mum then I'm more then happy with my decision"

Mumwhoseekedhelp May 27, 2016

For Depression "I went on Lexapro for depression and anxiety. I noticed that generally it relieved my anxiety symptoms, but had some bad side effects for me. Most troubling was the weight gain. I've always been quite slim, but while on Lexapro I gained about 30 pounds, so that was very distressing for me. Also, if I forgot to take my medication I'd get terrible migraines. I'm now transitioning off of this medication because of the weight gain. I've already started to see a difference and lost a couple of pounds (with healthy eating and regular exercise). Overall, this med was good for my anxiety, but meh for everything else."

Good for anxiety, but... (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 27, 2016

For Anxiety "Started Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10 mg taken at 8:00am 2 wks ago for anxiety and mild agoraphobia due to worry over having an anxiety attack-a tsunami of nervousness would overwhelm me and make me fearful and filled with unease. I was always worried about why this was happening to me out of nowhere. And I avoided going to places I once enjoyed. After day 12 a switch flipped. I felt myself again, happy, easy going, not worried, not anticipating something bad was going to happen. What I cannot handle is the sleep disruption this drug has caused. Waking at 3, 4 am and unable to get back to sleep. Dr. prescribed .50 mg Xanax, which is helping me through this side effect. Hopefully it will subside when my body adjusts to the serotonin levels"

BeeBee888 (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2016

For Anxiety "All I can say is WOW! After the birth of my son, I developed insomnia and anxiety. I placed a lot of pressure on myself to get enough sleep and the result was not being able to sleep. In addition, I have very high expectations of myself. I work from home and was studying at the time. From this, I caused so much anxiety for myself to the point where I couldn't control my thoughts and feelings. I was prescribed Zoloft which probably made me more anxious and I was on that for a year. My GP switched me to Lexapro 4 months ago. On this med I feel like a different person. Happy, no anxious thoughts, I am sleeping like a log and am dreaming! I haven't dreamt in years and it's lovely! I have had no side effects on this drugs :)"

Brmm May 25, 2016

For Anxiety "Hello all , my esperience with lexapro is very good , first of all i head extreme panic attack all days , extreme anxiety extreme weaknes . After one week of taking i feel more powerfull no panic attacks but anxiety is still there i hope in few weeks anxiety will be gone"

Gango May 25, 2016

For Depression "For me personally, I hated Lexpro. It made me a shell of the person I used to be and like others have described, a walking zombie. I couldn't connect with my emotions whatsoever. There are much better SSRI's available!"

finners (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

For Anxiety "Been on this for roughly 3 weeks. I started taking 10 mgs but I'm currently only taking 2.5 mgs. The first week was a lil bad. I took at night and the med kicked in in like 3 hours. I couldn't sleep, had increased anxiety and it upset my stomach. I cut down to 5 then 2.5. Now I'm fine, panic attacks are pretty much gone (before I was getting them daily sometimes even 2 or 3 times). The attacks were starting to interfere with work n life n I had to get some help. I tried working out n eating better but it wasn't helping. This works but it takes time. Also, I take this in the mornings with food. It gives me energy so taking at night wasn't good for me bc it would keep me up. Start with a low dose so your body gets used to it."

NesaNes May 22, 2016