User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 2)

Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 218 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 28 reviews 46 medications

7.4
Summary of Lexapro reviews 1053 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Lexapro

For Major Depressive Disorder "Lexapro has been the only antidepressant I've taken that has alleviated my depression at all. It worked well for me and it started working within 2 days! I could laugh again and my anxiety went down. I took 20 mg daily. Unfortunately, within 6 months I gained 25 lbs! That was the only drawback and I had to stop taking it bc of the weight gain. The first couple times I took it, everything looked fuzzy and psychedelic but that went away quickly. I'd say it's definitely worth a try if you're depressed or anxious."

Lucy Clare (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

For Anxiety "I have had panic attacks for years after trying many other a it depressants that made this worse Lexapro was my magic pill I have had a 90% reduction in acute panic disorder and general anxiety, with this drug I'm normal person again and I have my life back. I'm my opinion this is a blockbuster drug and I'm so thankful to the chemist that created it. Thank you for giving me my life back! <3"

Jesse S. August 4, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am so grateful to my doctor by putting me on Lexapro. I was suffering many physical aches and pains plus in the end panic attacks I was not depressed I thought but did feel anxious and down especially in the mornings I am late 60's and guess I am a worrier I reached a point that I couldn't cope with normal everyday activities and after seeing my doctor she put me on Lexapro Within 3 to 4 weeks it kicked in and I felt back to normal It was amazing no more digestion problems back problems and I now sleep well and wake up happy, and I do walk each day and life is now much better as I'm able to cope with life and definitely recommend Lexapro. Probably the only side effect is yawning and sleepiness but that's so much better than insomnia."

GChS August 3, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Well I went back on this as it was kind of OK when I had CFS a few years ago and somewhat improved my mood. After a few stressful incidents it became hard to manage my depression naturally so I took the quick fix route because I didn't have time to work out and eat right. Having achieved remission with diet/sleep/SamE/exercise I can assure you that the effects of Lexapro are wildly different than a careful self care routine. Day one I was so drugged, I felt high and was barely able to work let alone drive. Total lethargy, extreme anxiety and inability to stop smiling even though I was terrified on the inside. In short, similar to a bad overdose on MJ. Day two, same effect, I had to call out of work. Stopped the pills."

Natzzzzzzzz (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

For Depression "It simply worked. I couldn't sleep, had serious GI problems and developed depression over a period of months. Less pro helped pick me up at low dose in a few months. Was off in a year and probably could have been sooner."

Learnet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

For Anxiety "I had been experiencing milder depressive symptoms for a couple of months, but then suddenly one morning I woke up with all the physical symptoms of a panic attack, which I'd never had before (never had any anxiety symptoms before), and symptoms persisted almost nonstop for 4 days until I could get in with my doctor. I wasn't having anxiety about any one specific thing, I just felt hopeless and like I'd lost control of my thinking. She prescribed me klonopin for immediate relief (big help) and the generic version of lexapro (10 mg) to actually address the problem in tandem with counseling. I'm only a week in but feeling LIKE MYSELF and so much better in general. Had some headaches and sleepiness/yawning in the first week but lessening now"

Allison G T July 26, 2016

For Anxiety "Lexapro has changed my life....I am an alcoholic who could never be in social situation without drinking...when I became sober I isolated myself from crowds, friends, working etc until I found lexapro which has cured me of my anxietities and I can now have a normal life without drinking. I'm the me I was before I started drinking and couldn't be happier. I also hear people say they've gained weight I have actually lost five pounds doing my normal activities and eating healthy "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have suffered with depression and anxiety for most of my life. One of my best friends convinced me to talk with my doctor about an antidepressant. I tried several different medications. Finally, I was prescribed Wellbutrin 100 mg., which worked pretty well for several years. However, it stopped working so my doctor increased the dosage to 150 mg. Bad idea. I had a seizure and was hospitalized for two days. After this experience, I decided to not take anything. Another bad idea. The depression got so bad, I could hardly function. I went to a new doctor and he prescribed me Lexapro. What a miracle drug. It took sometime to get use to the medicine but once my body adjusted, I started feeling great. I don't recall ever feeling so happy as now"

Ann W July 24, 2016

For Depression "Lexapro made me feel normal again. I was severely depressed and so scared I would never feel normal again. I started at 5mg and worked up to 15mg over a few months. At three months I felt like me again. It was a roller coaster getting there with good days and down days where I never thought I would feel like me again. But the three month mark I feel great! I promised myself that when I felt good again, I would share my experience. Hang in there, you will feel good again just give it time. And when you have a down moment, think of happy times and remember you will get better. Side effects initially was yawning a lot. I can finally sleep again and I gained my weight back because I actually want to eat again. Life is good now. Thank you lex!"

Finallyfeelinggood (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

For Depression "I started taking Lexapro about 7 weeks ago after an extremely traumatic unexpected loss of my long term boyfriend who i lived with. I was not functioning or able to deal with life before I got on Lexapro. I couldn't stop overwhelming thoughts, anxiety, crying. I couldn't face life. Lexapro has helped me begin the process of healing In a healthy way and resume life. I don't feel any different other than I have rational thoughts and I am in control of my emotions. I know I would not be moving forward in a positive manner of it wasn't for this medication. The change was like day and night and I am thankful."

Hla1121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2016

For Anxiety "I've been taking lexapro for about a year now and it seems to help a lot with my social anxiety. I don't think about nor care what people think as much as I used to. But it does make me kinda have like no emotion toward people's feeling & what not. Which is a downside. But I used to be afraid of big crowds. I wouldn't really want to be around people but at the same time I did because I wanted to have friends and be outgoing but it was extremely hard for me. Also I had like mild depression, always negative thoughts. But since I've been taking it it's definitely made me more positive and more friendly. Before I would always worry about everything and when I say everything I mean everything lol. With out it I do have bad withdrawal & it sucks."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 22, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Please read this. I've battled anxiety for a long time and when I had a recent bad time with it I needed extra help. Was prescribed Lexapro 10mg once a day. I'm a big hypochondriac so taking new medicine is a painful experience for me. The first week was tough, just adjusting to the meds but by day 4 I literally felt like I had done a 180 degree turn around. It works and I felt great. Unfortunately after about 4 weeks I broke out in hives and had to discontinue but I highly suggest for anyone battling anxiety. Zoloft was horrible. I did have withdrawals from both meds - the brain zaps but was asked to increase my water intake and that help flush it out. Had withdrawals for about a week."

JulesSan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

For Depression "After taking Citalopram for over 12 years I started suffering from sivere anxiety side-effects. My GP suggested that we try Effexor. After 3 months on Effexor, my anxiety was no better and I had one little trip to the ER and a short stay in hospital with another failed suicide attempt. I was in a really bad place, at the end of my wits. My pharmacist had a chat with me. He said that seeing as I had responded so well to the Citalopram initially, it might be worth trying es-citalopram/Lexapro. I talked to me Dr. and he agreed. Things have been a lot better since. I don't need any anxiety medication at the moment and most of my other symptoms are a lot more manageable. It is not a cure, but it makes the symptoms bearable."

rialistic July 9, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed Lexapro 5 mg for perimenopausal rages and major depressive disorder. Considering this is my first anti-depressant, I cautiously started with half a tablet (2.5mg). The side effects were horrible: severe dizziness, headaches, nausea, and confusion. I could not function at work. Overtime, my depression, angry outbursts, rumination worsened and started to affect my interaction with coworkers. I decided to give Lexapro another try and start with 1/4 of a tablet (1.25 mg). I took the Lexapro at bedtime, and in the morning, I was the happiest I've been in months, no anxiety, no negative repetitive thoughts. This is a strong drug. My recommendation is to start slowly to avoid severe side effects and then increase if needed"

Anonymous July 9, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I think I have had anxiety and depression all my life. I kept ruining all my relationships because I had delusions of being cheated on and consequently kept accusing my partner(s). The patience of my second husband and seeing his pain propelled me to see a psychiatrist willingly (before this I was dragged there and refused to take medications) who prescribed me to Lexapro 10mg after dinner everyday. For the first 2 weeks, nothing changed in terms of my negative attitude towards my partner. The side effects were terrible, it felt like being pregnant, I was so nauseus sometimes I would lay in bed all day. After week 3 the sun seemed to shine brighter. I look at everyone positively. I am happier. My husband is crazy in love with me. Thank you"

Babygirl7773 July 8, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Changed my life. Anxiety is gone, and because of that my depression. Loving life anxiety free is amazing. Can't believe I waited this long is my only regret."

Windwolf (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

For Anxiety "I have only been taking Lexapro a few days, but I can tell a bit of improvement, but as of now I still get paranoid or to say anxious which makes me exhausted. And I'm not much on going around people a lot, just one on one conversations with a friend or relative. Hoping and praying it works like a lot of post here which are positive. Hoping to gain weight, for I'm at 113pds....when I was 130, Yea lost quite a bit of weight...the lexapro im hoping will give me a better appetite which I've read it does. This is an update on day 6, I slept full 8 hours and that was with getting off to sleep with help of xanax. But really feel better and have some energy and some of the worry is gone...and hoping to get better. Going to keep taking it."

robertestokley July 6, 2016

For Depression "I have just been on Lexapro about a week, I was taking it at night, but was having wild vivid dreams, so started taking it in the day. I can tell there is a bit of improvement, but I still feel a bit of fear and anxiety and depression but it fluctuates. I think once I get enough in my system it will work. Tired of being negative about everything. It's time to get happy again...God Bless."

robertestokley (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm a 40yo old male who started Lexapro just over three weeks ago for GAD. The psychiatrist advised 5mg for the first 2 weeks to adjust to side effects, then to 10mg. The first 2 weeks I barely noticed any effect, maybe a little less stressed than usual, but then moving up to 10mg really hit me hard - fatigue, sweats, confusion, nausea, panic attacks. Honestly, 5 days in I was at the point of calling my doctor to say I couldn't take it anymore. But then on day 6, I woke up feeling a whole lot better. It's hard to describe but I just feel focused and relaxed in a way that I'd forgotten how, or maybe never knew. I'm now on day 8 at 10mg and am so glad I stuck with it. Talk to you Dr if you're feeling terrible but know it can get better."

JackNYC July 1, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I can not say enough good things about this med. I had a crazy experience with anxiety that came out of nowhere when I turned 28 and it was a long bumpy road for sure but now almost 4 months in I am back to normal. It definitely also helped me get priorities in line such as making my health a priority over late nights and drinking. I by no means was a hard partier but I had my fair share of nights out with friends. I now find it completely ok to go out, have a glass of wine and take it easy. The first month was rough. I had everything: nausea, increased anxiety, I lot almost 10 lbs from zero appetite but slowly and surely everything went away and I feel really good now. Don't get me wrong, you have to put in work emotionally but it works."

Kate22888 June 30, 2016

For Anxiety "My psychiatrist prescribed Lexapro to treat general anxiety, which it barely impacted, and since starting it 4 weeks ago I've become severely depressed and spend all day contemplating suicide. I don't know if it's entirely the medicine's fault, or if it even had anything to do with it, but it certainly hasn't helped me with anything, and I can't find anything online about it actually worsening depression instead of treating it."

Guy18 June 29, 2016

For Depression "I was prescribed this drug for major depression and C-PTSD. I only took it for one week, 5mg. It was awful. I was exhausted all of the time, had trouble falling asleep and my sleep was disturbed by very vivid and bizarre dreams. I woke up every morning shaking, dizzy and disoriented. During the day my legs hurt so bad it made walking difficult. It made me so hungry, craving carbs, I gained 9lbs of belly fat in one week! It left me with zero motivation and unable to feel any joy, excitement, pleasure. I felt detached, empty, I felt dead. I stopped taking it and while i'm still struggling with depression I do feel like me again, I feel alive and have lost all of the weight gained while taking it."

NoOne2 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medicine gave me a panic attack shortly after I took it.never took it again"

Nck1985 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

For Depression "So far, I've only been on Lexapro for two days. I am finding that it is helping very much with my negative outlook on life, my mood swings, and my panic attacks/emotional fits. I find that little things like someone cutting me off or dropping something don't frustrate me as much or make me want to scream. I find that my voice is calmer and that I can have mature conversations with my partner without getting worked up. I have a better perspective on life already. I was on zoloft before and it did not do anything for me at all. It's so refreshing to see a change and I can't wait to see what else Lexapro does for me! Negative side effects I've experienced: headaches, stomach upset, dizziness. These are supposed to go away within a week."

Gooberella June 24, 2016

For Anxiety "Lexpro is the best medication. I had no life befor Lexpro. I used to suffer for 8 years from anxiety and panick attacks. I was always scared from anything. The doctor asked me to try Lexpro I was so afriad of medications, I thought medications would never help me. I used think that I will help my self to stop thinking about it. I thought they were all thoughts in my mind and I have to change them I used to get panick attacks everday when I'm sleeping. I would recommend anyone to try this medication because this medication will safe your life if you have anxity I have been 10 mg for months then 15 for 2 months and 4 months for 20 Mg and am still taking it. And I will never stop taking it"

Baraag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2016