User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 2)

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

7.5

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,351 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I have been smoking marijuana for almost 10 years until recently when I knew that was causing me more anxiety and depression. So I broke down to my doctor and told her my head isn’t right, that I messed with it for too many years. The first week of Lexapro I felt the affects right away. What a difference honestly I felt normal and could take on anything. I do believe in lifestyle change: I started 3 months ago to lose weight and I have lost 10 lbs so far. That’s because I pushed myself but was still miserable. It really is reprogramming your mind, but with the THC withdrawals Lexapro definitely saved me. Eventually I would like to get off it but it’s saving me a lot of trouble with suffering. Plus, it’s giving me so much confidence and NO more social anxiety. It’s hard to say if I really do have generalized anxiety because I abused THC for a decade but right now, this medication really does help with everything else I’m doing to change my life. I’m on a low dosage of 5 mg which I feel is enough."

Mary May 15, 2018

For Depression "I had my anxiety & panic attacks under control for 8 yrs thanks to CBT. But I became depressed so I decided to try 5mg Lexapro. 1st week I felt apathetic & lethargic. The 2nd week I had anxiety, panic attacks, hypomania, extreme fidgetiness, internal vibrations, strange cold sensations & a fast heart rate. I tried to stick it out, but after 3.5 wks the symptoms became unbearable. After stopping, it has taken a month for my body to begin to feel normal again. After seeing multiple psychs, I believe I experieneced SSRI-induced “activation syndrome.” A genetic test later advised me to not take SSRI’s b/c I may have an “adverse reaction.” My prescribing doc did not recognize the activation syndrome but instead thought my symptoms pointed to Bipolar II & ADHD (untrue). These drugs are still experimental & docs aren’t always aware of side effects. I did notice increased positive thinking & motivation on Lexapro, but with the awful side effects it just wasn’t worth continuing."

rainbowbrite9 May 14, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "My bloodwork was abnormal, body was expressing hypothyroidism but my heart said hyper. The past 2 years have been awful from increasing anxiety, night terrors to the point I was scared to sleep, then I started to have high blood pressure w/ headaches. A 30 year old with cardiac issues. Body would tense I had tingling in my neck and jaw I felt like I was under water my head would get foggie, sinkable episodes. I always kept my doctor in Nj. But she told me when you're ready come to me. I broke down. Being in the medical field no one likes the idea of a SSRI's. I'm not depressed. All the research. Then she told me try lexapro. Give it a month and let me know. Lexapro I was able to handle things better. A month hit and I'm like I don't feel anything. Went off it after a month for a week. Night terrors came back, sweats, my OCD was horrible. I mowed a lawn 3 times. I went back on it. Add that to PTSD, stress, thyroid and life. Lexapro has made all the difference."

CapeMay May 11, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I’d been on Effexor XR for 4 years & decided to wean off it in January to see if I could manage on amino acids & nutrition and I was great until my mother-in-law passed away & the issues that arise in a blended family regarding wills/money etc all got to be too much. I realised that I needed medication & talk therapy again so went to my GP & asked to go on Lexapro as I’d heard good things about using it to treat GAD. Big mistake, I was on this medication for 11 days trying to white knuckle it through the “side effects” & almost lost my mind, SSRI’s obviously aren’t for me as I had a similar reaction to Prozac. I stopped the meds cold turkey as advised by my doctor & felt better later that day, today is day 1 back on Effexor XR & my mood has already lifted. Trust your instincts, if it feels wrong it might not just be “side effects”."

Mumof2 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "It can cause permanent sexual dysfunction , even after years of stoppingI "

PSSD (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suffered from irregular anxiety and panic attacks so bad I would vomit and be incapacitated for days. Then a few stressful family events happened all at once and suddenly I was having panic attacks daily. I decided to try medication as I wasn’t able to calm down from my panicked state and knew something had to change. So I started Lexapro 10mg. At first my anxiety was more severe and I was feeling depressed when I had never been a depressed person before. My doctor told me to stick with it and I’m glad I did. After about 4 weeks I felt stable and happy. I had a good appetite for the first time in years and felt like I could handle day to day issues with confidence again. It’s been about 3 months now and I feel more capable and functional than ever. I would advise anyone struggling with the early stages to stick with it and to speak to a psychologist to get some coping strategies as well. It really helped me to talk to someone and better understand what was happening to me."

Nolongerafraid May 6, 2018

For Anxiety "Had severe depression and anxiety for a month that hit me like a ton of bricks in civil litigation with a sociopath who suddenly seemed to me to be on a sure path of bankrupting me eventually. First two months on Lexapro had little effect. Could barely bring myself to work with my lawyers. Driving more than a few blocks was a mountain to climb, as was social interaction, even visits with relatives. Dosage increased from 10 to 20mg after a couple months when it did not seem to be working. Dropped a prescribed companion sedative that was causing me to sleep until noon. Now, after 4 month on Lexapro am back to nearly normal activities, feel the future can be positive, traveling to see relatives and friends. The first two+ months were tough, but combined with professional counselling, a lifesaver. And that sociopath is being successfully challenged."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2018

For Anxiety "Just go for this medicine don't think that you are like others ...anxiety and depression are chemical imbalances of brain and this is true. Do some therapy also but medication is important ..and one thing more your time is important too.. Cheers :)"

A.k (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2018

For Anxiety "The best medication I found for long term anxiety management. Least amount of side effects, (dosage dependent), and fastest acting. Used klonopin to manage short term while lexapro ramped up then tapered off klonopin. After years of use have found minimum dose required to control anxiety. Best to start low dose...too much of an SSRI can increase anxiety."

middle age (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 4, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "I’m on my third day on Lexapro double dose to 20 mg. Muscle stiffness, major headache, fatigue, trouble sleeping, fast heart rate, and lower backaches. Weight gain. Blah! I tried Effexor and Zoloft. Both gave me rapid heart rate and major blood pressure. I had to go off of them and the effects of going off was like dying. I had more side affects than when I started and triple that effects. I’m hoping the Lexapro will do better and the side affects will not stay. This is my fifth SSRI."

Hyang61 (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2018

For Depression "Six months on escitalopram. The first 6 weeks were really hard. Insomnia, anxiety, aches, disturbing dreams, intrusive thoughts, flu-like symptoms, stomach issues, tremors, tingling, and extreme fatigue. The symptoms did ease up some after six weeks, but never went away. They were manageable though. About 2 months ago, the symptoms increased like the drug gave out. Two weeks ago, the symptoms kicked into high gear. Horrible fatigue that can't be rested away. Insomnia is back with a vengeance. Flu-like symptoms too that make you feel awful. And the anxiety! I could crawl out of my skin right now. It hasn't eased up either. Like flipping a switch, I just started feeling bad almost in an instant. The doc decided it was the escitalopram and are weaning me off. If I can get past this, I'll never touch it again. I was on Zoloft for years prior and it worked great but you can't take it with Tamoxifen. I know escitalopram is rated well by most people, but I can't tolerate it."

CSA1861 May 2, 2018

For Anxiety "I started lexapro and on the 5th day I woke up wide awake. This has never happened to me and I felt so different. I get weirded out and got up to grab some water. On my way, I feel a cold sweat and my body goes completely paralyzed. I felt a fear I didn't know I was capable of feeling. I try to scream but my vocal cords are paralyzed. I wait for death, completely terrified. Then my ears start ringing and I slowly get all my senses back. I am able to breathe again and start to hyperventilate from the panic. I was exhausted after that. I got in to see my doctor ASAP. I fell asleep in the waiting room and I can normally barely fall asleep in my own bed. He told me it doesn't even do anything in the first week and was all a placebo effect and gets upset with me because I didn't want to continue it. I don't think there's appropriate education being placed on these towards medical professionals. I realize they can help but there seems to be complete denial about adverse effects."

Lexano May 1, 2018

For Anxiety "Like you, you're reaching out for hope because you're going through one of the most horrible experiences in your life. But anxiety always passes, and lexapro helps your mind heal and recover. I had bad anxiety before that turned into anxiety disorder (afraid of anxiety itself). Just know that this is your mind tricking you and you have to learn no longer to be afraid of it. Lexapro will help you break the cycle and get you out of the hole quicker. Side effects were at their peak for the first two weeks, with even sometimes worse anxiety, but each day gets better. Sexual side effects subsided as well after the first 2-3 weeks as most are psychosomatic. Just try to remember your mind wants to calm down and its only temporary. I have been through hell and made it out the other end to see the light - just give it time and patience, it will pass and Lexapro helps."

Dan (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2018

For Depression "Total poison this should be banned this med literally poisoned me, never had such a bad experience from any other antidepressant med as bad as this in my entire life. I have tried all the others before, but side effects were unbearable, but never felt as bad as this awful poison. The worst bit was the fever at night times and terrifying nightmares . Please do not take this rubbish med"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

For Depression "I found if I took it too late at night/too early in the morning I was very groggy and constantly yawning! After three weeks of trial and error I figured the best time (for me) was to take it at around 8pm at night. I feel incredible now and I have only been taking this drug for a month. Not 1 panic attack all month. The nightmares have stopped, yet I do have much more vivid dreams which is also odd for me. I'm far more relaxed about leaving the house. I haven't had any alcohol while on this drug. With regard to "Weight changes" listed in the side effects leaflet, I only found that I lost my appetite for the first two weeks, I was struggling to get my weight back up, but my appetite has returned. After being so anti-anti-depressants I'm regretting not having taken this drug 10 years ago! I have had a great experience so far =)"

DC April 26, 2018

For Depression "Fantastic medication for Depression. Usually 20mg but I'm on 30mg since recovering from 2nd major depression. NOTE: Beware of the GENERIC especially by Mylan Escitalopram 10mg Mylan NDC 0378-3856-77 it was totally ineffective for myself back in 2012 and some others I know in 2018 - literally like a placebo you might have to take generic due to insurance but if you worsen have your doctor justify you need the BRAND LEXAPRO"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

For Depression "I was prescribed Lexapro for PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. Was on it very briefly for me to realize I needed to be off it like yesterday! Made me dissociate and have flashbacks very vividly and violently in my head for long durations of time. Also started seeing flashing lights while I was on it. A big NO GO!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

For Depression "I cannot even put into words the new life lexapro has given me. I refer ages 13-20 years as the “grey period” at first thought it was me going thru puberty & the changes in my hormones affected my mood. Fast forward to age 20, I had a complete mental breakdown. I was completely against antidepressants. I always thought I could cure myself without a pill- I would have periods of a few months of normalness, but then the depression & grey period always crept back up. That caused me to finally reach out to a doctor. After 2 months, I felt so much lighter. Fast forward to age 21 & I am a completely different person. My outlook for life & the way I process things, I feel a sense of a clearer, brighter, world full of possibilities. It sounds so cheesy- but life feels like it should feel, finally. (FYI- mental health issues run heavily in my family of both my father & mothers side. This is a chemical imbalance that was inherited, not created. I am learning this recently.)"

Hannah April 22, 2018

For Depression "I hope my experience can help you make the right decision. I took Cipralex for 8 Years, and originally got on it, after experiencing anxiety/panic attacks. Also, I felt a little down on myself being in University and having self esteem issues. I started off at 10MG's, and moved up to 20 MG's. This drug actually made me less self conscious, and more outgoing. However, it would make me feel 'slightly' manic, in the sense I would talk non-stop if the opportunity presented it self. It doesn't mix well with Alcohol, (nor the day's after, WOW). I would say this medication is okay. It works better for depression. Be mindful about what you seek out of it For Anxiety, not so much. It is okay.... Personally, I am looking for a medication that moderates and keeps depression AND anxiety in check. So I will be looking elsewhere. Not to mention, Cipralex is overpriced vs its generic competitors. I can't handle the generic one either."

hmaqsood (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on escitalopram for about 12 weeks now. I was a "normal" person my whole entire 20 years of life, and when anxiety hit me out of absolutely nowhere. I had severe derealization symptoms that basically drove my anxiety through the roof. All of a sudden, I was a completely different person; once an outgoing, lively, fearless girl to someone who couldn't even look up. Because of this I spiralled into a horrible depression. I think one of the scariest feelings was I would panic and a wave of helplessness would just hit me and I felt like my whole world was falling apart. After taking lexapro, I started to very gradually feel better. It was never like an on and off switch but as the weeks went by, I just slowly started feeling better/mood lift/less tense/etc. Now, I feel great and like myself again and am doing more for myself in the past few weeks than I have the past few years. Give it a shot, it will be rough in the beginning like everybody says, but it will be worth it."

jay jay April 13, 2018

For Depression "I cannot express strongly enough how much Lexapro has turned my life around. I have suffered from bad depression since my teens (I’m now 29) and also anxiety. I’ve had therapy for years which was helpful but never managed to get the depression under control. I was beginning to think I’d never shake it. My GP convinced me to start taking 5mg Lexapro 3 months ago and within days I found I FINALLY had some reprieve from the constant feeling of despair I used to sink into. I have not felt the need to increase my dose yet - and the only major side effect was extreme lethargy for the first month. I am content for the first time in years. I feel like this drug has made me who I really am without the weight of depression - and the tools given to me in therapy now have a chance to be applied now I’m not being hijacked by my emotions. I truly hope it has the same effect for anyone else reading this, or at least gives hope that there may be a drug out there that will work for you."

CelFro April 10, 2018

For Anxiety "I unfortunately was one of those people who it took 4-5 weeks to see any benefit from Lexapro, but once it kicked it, it was life changing. I went from debilitating anxiety to where I couldn't even leave my house to finally feeling like the "old" me again. It was a slow transition, nothing black-and-white, but I can look back and see how the med slowly started to work. Side effects lasted a couple weeks and included headaches, endless fatigue, and I have to be careful what I eat because I have gained about 5 lbs., but I'd take those side effects over living in a constant dream-like state from anxiety. Started on 10 mg and am now on 15 mg. Give it a shot!"

anxiousity (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2018

For Depression "Because I’m a teenager I started off on 5 mg then when I wasn’t sure if it was working or doing anything I went up to 10 and after realizing nothing has changed I moved up to 15. It might just be me not responding to the medication but I feel like I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy with this medication which I was originally excited to go on. If I forgot to take it for a day I see no difference (not sure if I should but just in case) I’m glad it’s helping other people but it doesn’t help and causes a lot more stress in my life that I don’t need. Fortunately I talked to my doctor today and I’m going to start to reduce my way off the meds (which I don’t really even think I need to do because they don’t do anything)"

Nugget March 28, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I’m on lexapro day 1. Moved out of home 6 months ago and now all the hype has gone I’m struggling with day to day activities and hardly eating. My bf cheated on me and I’ve kept him over it so that creates big anxiety issues for me too. Today is day one I tried pristique yesterday and it was an absolute no go as I got heaps of numbing and tingling. Today my face is a little numb and my arm tingles so slightly but I have eaten which is a big thing after no meals for two weeks. I feel a little groggy tired but can’t sleep so just having lay downs. Will keep all updated."

Minds (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Was prescribed Lexapro 10 mg about 7 months ago after a really bad depressive episode on Zoloft, which led to me being highly suicidal. At first this drug was truly amazing as I'd finally started to feel normal, the negative thoughts and rumination disappeared along with my anxiety, I started going to the gym and enjoying my life like never before. A really important advice I'd give is to NOT drink alcohol while taking Lexapro if you used to have a problem with drinking or being more or less of an alcoholic. I do not know if drinking is the cause but after a while I became highly depressed and could not restrain from drinking alcohol. I gained 20 lbs (which has never happened before as I do not usually gain weight) and lost all my libido, lost interest in everything and started to isolate myself from friends and family. Even tried to increase the dosage of Lexapro to 20 mg and it made me incredibly anxious and numb."

Catuness (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2018