User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 3)

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

7.5

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,352 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Major Depressive Disorder "Was prescribed Lexapro 10 mg about 7 months ago after a really bad depressive episode on Zoloft, which led to me being highly suicidal. At first this drug was truly amazing as I'd finally started to feel normal, the negative thoughts and rumination disappeared along with my anxiety, I started going to the gym and enjoying my life like never before. A really important advice I'd give is to NOT drink alcohol while taking Lexapro if you used to have a problem with drinking or being more or less of an alcoholic. I do not know if drinking is the cause but after a while I became highly depressed and could not restrain from drinking alcohol. I gained 20 lbs (which has never happened before as I do not usually gain weight) and lost all my libido, lost interest in everything and started to isolate myself from friends and family. Even tried to increase the dosage of Lexapro to 20 mg and it made me incredibly anxious and numb."

Catuness (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2018

For Depression "I have been taking Lexapro 10mg for six months now. I did not really think I had depression and thought that I was struggling greatly with anxiety. Now that I am experiencing the difference I realize I was suffering from depression . It was a rough start at first. I found myself crying and honestly feeling worse. The first glimpse of it working came in around six weeks. I was scared to believe it. These days I have a happier base level. I do not feel overly happy or out of touch with my emotions. Actually have the ability to feel all of my emotions and not try to run from them. I still struggle with some loop thinking but it is not as bad as it was. Overall I am so incredibly grateful for this drug in my life. I coupled it with talk therapy and that made a huge difference to have someone tracking my progress and being a sounding board as I transitioned through the side affects. I hope to be able to quit someday but that will not be anytime soon as my quality of life is so much better."

Ana March 20, 2018

For Depression "After a series of deaths I slipped into depression to the point that I didn’t remember what it was like to feel normal. Basic chores became an overwhelming nightmare. I was constantly thinking about death & cried at the drop of a hat. A year of therapy didn’t help. All I aspired to do was lie in bed. I used to have hobbies but depression robbed me of initiative. I started Lexapro 10 mg & felt a difference within a day. The first week I would wake up feeling hyperactive (I take it at 7 PM and would wake up at 2 am). That went away. I am shocked at how quickly I fall asleep now! I used to toss and turn for an hour trying to shut my brain off. I now fall asleep in 20 min & wake up feeling good. I no longer ruminate or let thoughts spiral out of control. I laugh & even go grocery shopping which before was too exhausting. I have energy and when I want to do something, I do it! I am so grateful for Lexapro. I didn’t know how much I was suffering, or how much my life was passing me by."

For Anxiety "I've been on lexapro 10mg for 5 days, can’t tell much difference just yet. Only side effects are slight headaches from time to time (not a full blown headache), tired, decrease in appetite, had diarrhea once. Trying to stick it out. On the downside my new doctor doesn’t prescribe lexapro so eventually I will have to switch to Celexa soon which I don’t know how I feel about that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

For Depression "Was suffering from depression. I started taking 10mg of Lexapro 2 months ago & now I have major anxiety & panic attack’s 24/7. Also feeling very foggy minded and not to mention the 20 lb weight gain!!. I do not like Lexapro one bit."

DeniseH (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Currently writing this from the psych ward. Lexapro 15mg drove me to this place...long forgotten rumination and OCD returned within a week on this drug, severe derealization/depersonalisation, nightmares, intrusive thoughts etc. Even with high doses of seroquel I was still in a horrible place. Gave it 6 weeks and ended up in hospital. Will never touch it again."

roobyskska (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Anxiety "Made me extremely tired and I could not concentrate at work."

Tarn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro saved my life and marriage. My anxiety was so bad I feared going to the grocery store, driving, talking on the phone, talking to neighbors. I was scared that nobody liked me, I was moody, I thought I was a bad person and parent and destined for failure. I drank every night and cried all the time bc of family issues. I was mean and irritable to my husband. One day, I decided enough is enough. My doc put me on Lexapro and I’m not looking back! Ever! I am confident, happy, focused and insightful. I’m able to be HERE and NOW instead of an anxious prison in my mind. I still have major problems in my family, but I can deal with them with a clear mind. The first days on it I felt weird, headache, anxious, dry mouth, diarrhea, shaky hands. Now 3 weeks later- I’m good. My hands shake more than they did before and it gives me dry mouth, but it’s worth it. I’m back!!!!"

Happyfeet (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been taking Lexapro for 1 year and 2 months. So far its been a life saver. I couldn't sleep for days, stopped going to work and cried about anything that made me even the slightest bit upset. For me anxiety is like a cock fight going on inside my head. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety attacks, which rarely happen anymore (once or twice a month). I would also recommend finding a good therapist. Mine helps A TON."

GreenRanger (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I live in MN and get anxious in the winters so I go on 10mg every October and it helps. Without it I get thoughts stuck in my head like assuming I said something stupid and then obsessing over it. Or trying to mind read people and always assuming the worst. This med helps shut it off and I am very comfortable being myself when I'm on it. However, I don't like being on it because it also shuts off other thoughts; like being able to actively listen to people or sharing my thoughts on a subject. I will have a hard time coming up with words and stop mid-sentence. My libido was fine and it actually helped me last longer in bed. Eventually it stops working around the spring anyways and I don't want to up the dosage or I'd be a complete moron. I tried coupling it with adderall or Wellbutrin but those caused too much anxiety and I couldn't sleep on adderall. I'm going to try something new this summer, maybe Remeron. But it really, really helps with the anxiety."

J Man March 8, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi all, coming up to week 6 on Lexapro 15mg. First few weeks were absolute hard work. Since starting I’ve been experiencing shakes, twitches, brain fog and derealisation/depersonalisation which has been really awful. I am also currently on seroquel (quetiapine) 25mg in the mornings and evenings. I have had a few glimmers of hope but am still unable to leave the house, speak on the phone etc. I have noticed my ability to cry sober coming back which may seem bad, but is actually a really good thing for tension relief. My psych wanted me to up the dose to 20mg Lexapro but I couldn’t handle it...I know it can take awhile to begin to take effect but seeing everyone improving so much in so few weeks makes me feel worried! Does anyone have any experiences with it working later than expected?"

Rubydoob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am 46 years old. For many years I've been depressed and had anxiety attacks. I was not aware of what I was going through, I've lost friend and stopped speaking to family members. I've been on lexapro for 2 weeks and everyone is complimenting me. They say I look happy, I am glowing, I feel so alive!! I never thought I would feel this way and I am so happy. I take 10mg before bed. I get a good night sleep if I can sneak a nap during the day. I do. But I highly recommend this medication"

Worry freak (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on 10 mg for 6 months and it definitely has calmed my anxiety issues. No side effects except weight gain about 30 lbs which I am not happy with but still worth taking"

Dotsy February 19, 2018

For Anxiety "I’ve been on this medication for about 2 weeks and I’ve noticed my anxiety getting worse .. is that normal ? Will it get better ... I’ve seen reviews on it getting worse before better and I’m just so scared all the time I feel like I’m not myself . Please someone help me to understand if I should stay on medication"

jayandjay1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since 2017. I found myself not leaving the house, in and out of hospitals, going to so many doctors for answers, not being able to drive, or even be by myself and having panic attacks everyday and so I was giving up. I found a therapist who helped me tremendously! He advised me to get on Lexapro. I was scared, I didn't want to take it and I felt like I was weak I can honestly tell you I am beyond thankful that I made myself get on this medication. It has totally changed my life in such a positive way. I do have to say the first couple of weeks were rough for me. I was dizzy, nauseous, just all the way felt like rubbish BUT STICK IT OUT. I am so thankful. Give this medicine a try but always remember you have to change the way you live your life and your thoughts, always be positive and always remember you will get out of this and you can live a happy and healthy life."

drey_95 February 14, 2018

For Depression "I am very concerned since going on lexapro I have developed restless leg syndrome (RLS) at 65 years of age I am exhausted from lack of sleep and never experience this before."

Anonymous February 10, 2018

For Anxiety "I am a 50 year old male in a highly stressful professional occupation. I became stricken with severe work related anxiety making me irritable and agonizing over decisions or interacting with others. Lexapro 10mg saved my career, as I was at the point that I believed I could no longer continue to function at work. The first few days were rough, but after 5 days, I remember waking up and feeling like the anxiety has diminished substantially. My anxiety continued to diminish gradually and now, after being on this medication for 1 year, I feel great. Only side effect is lasting longer...no complaints from the wife. I was hesitant to take the pharmaceutical route and felt real men should tough it out...so stupid."

Nick68 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2018

For Anxiety "I tried Zoloft first and it made me extremely sick. I switched to Lexapro (generic) after a week and it helped the sickness tremendously. I have been on Lexapro for about a month and a half now and it is really just starting to work. It is helping a lot with my anxiety but I am having some common and not so common side effects. The common: difficulty orgasming (this was present in the Zoloft as well for me). Uncommon: I am also having trouble urinating (I can't go right away or at all if I don't REALLY have to go). My scalp has become very dry and itchy. I also got a yeast infection, which I am assuming is from the medication. It is not listed in the side effects but I have seen many other women complain of this. Over all, the fact that I feel like a normal person again outweighs all of the side effects for me. I am on 10mg and I plan to go down to 5mg after 6 months and my doctor thinks that will help with the side effects."

JCPM February 5, 2018

For Anxiety "Pros I felt the positive effects of this medication within a matter of hours. I was at a point in my life where anxiety was dominating both my personal, professional, and familial relationships. I also had extreme health anxiety, which dominated a lot of my thoughts. Since starting Lexapro, I have noticed a huge difference in the reduction of my anxiety, including my health anxiety. I am happier and better able to connect with people (most likely because my anxiety has reduced a lot). The pros definitely outweigh the cons I experienced. Cons I have heard that this medication can increase suicidal ideation, which is a big con. I didn't have a huge depressive element to my anxiety, so I can't comment on the effects it has with depression Side effects: I have been having hot flushes, mainly at night Definitely increased thirst and dry mouth Some diarrhoea at the start, but that has settled Some waking up at 5am wide awake"

AustraliaLexapro February 3, 2018

For Anxiety "I’ve been suffering chronic anxiety and regular bouts of deep depression since my mid teens. I’m 28. I’ve tried everything, including therapy for many years, & was starting to fear I was doomed to feel sad for the rest of my life. I was desperate to see if anything could make me feel better so I set aside my stubborn anti-medication stance. I am so glad I did. I’ve been on lexapro 3 wks now (still at a tiny 5mg dose) & saw an almost immediate improvement. My emotions have levelled out & my anxiety has toned down. Side effects were: weird kaleidoscopic closed-eye hallucinations when going to sleep, fluttery chest & increased anxiety in the evening...but only for the first few nights. Still experiencing a bit of sleeplessness. I also found my ability to orgasm disappeared for the first 2.5 weeks (to my horror) and I was considering stopping because of that, but lo and behold, it came back - so if anyone else experiences that I encourage you to hang in there a few weeks!"

SMP1989 January 29, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I wish I hadn't waited so long to take Lexapro. I feel lighter and my anxiety has disappeared. I feel normal again. The side effects have gone, that took about a month. I don't get overwrought anymore and can deal with things again."

puremule123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I suddenly developed severe GAD and agoraphobia in Sept 2017. I could barely walk down the stairs in my house. Nov 2017 I started out on 5 mg of Escitalopram. The first two weeks were rough but it was working. Built up to 15 mg I have been on it for 9 weeks now and feel good. Some yawning everyday but it is worth it. I highly recommend it. Please stick with the medicine for at least a month. It takes time to work. Only read POSITIVE reviews on Lexapro. I got thru it reading the positive reviews on here Motivate yourself to do daily functions! This medicine is not a total cure. You have to motivate yourself daily to do stuff. Start out small. In order to get over anxiety you have to put yourself thru it. Also definitely recommend CBT."

KatB06 January 23, 2018

For Depression "This medicine is the best. Cured me of depression with GAD, insomnia and OCD tendencies. First week or two were killers, definitely hard to get used to but started on 5mg at night on a Friday so I had 2 days to adjust a little. Now on 10mg for the past 2yrs. Just so much more balanced. I have sad, down or frustrating days but that shows that it still allows for normal range of emotions. In general it makes me calm, less reactive, smile and sing like I used to. Saved my relationship and helped me be more productive at work. Cured my insomnia. Oh sleep how I missed you!"

Ally 32 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2018

For Depression "I started on lexapro 1 month ago and within the first few days I felt that my mood was stable. I started on lexapro because I felt sad all the time. I am on 5mg and I have just finished my first month. Week 2.5 I was out and I had my very first full blown panic attack. I have never had this before. After a few hours in the emergency unit at hospital they said they couldn’t tell whether the lexapro had started to work or the huge adrenaline state I had been in for some time had come crashing down and as a result I had my first major panic attack. The week following I am still experiencing small attacks. My mood is stable and hoping that the panic attack won’t happen again."

Pmr-74 January 22, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I took this for GAD and it didn't do anything for me. For OCD and depression, did a little better but needed more from it. Switched off of it and won't be coming back."

Copper360 January 16, 2018