User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 6)

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

7.5

Major Depressive Disorder

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,369 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "Hi I've been taking lexapro since 2014 it helps a lot although I still have some anxiety but it works wonders, no side effects I take 20mg"

axmfri (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2017

For Anxiety "Lexapro pretty much saved my life at one point. I’ve had anxiety/depression all my life but a few years ago I was at a low point. I wasn’t getting out of bed and felt like I had no reason to even get up in the morning. One day I decided it was time to live again and I saw a psychiatrist. He prescribed me 10mg of lexapro which I was advised to take half of for the 1st two weeks. As most people have mentioned, the 1st few weeks are for SURE not a good time. If you were already dealing with bad depression, I would advise that you stay close to good people for the 1st couple of weeks. I promise you though, it gets better if you wait it out. MAJOR sexual side effects (as in NO sex drive whatsoever) but if you have bad anxiety, it’s worth it."

j0rdann October 25, 2017

For Anxiety "I started with 0.5 tablets a day with no improvement (should be a stage to test any side effects resulted) 0.5 tablets more for every diagnosis. Kept a level of 3 tablets for longtime A peak of 4 tablets after 1 year and 2 months due to an sad period of my life I almost got no side effects and my anxiety kept reducing with less washing action for my clothing and less care of tiny dirt (Kind of dirt that I concern) However, my mood is still not always good (except those anxiety from dirt). Not sure what matters But overall Lexapro helps me a lot! At least I have more time to sleep (I used to wash my stuff until 3-4am 3-4 days a week but now I seldom wash, I have my normal bedtime even though I need to wash Sth)"

G T (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 20, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have been on Lexapro for about 5 years now and it completely and utterly changed my life. I had very serious anxiety which caused my relationships problems, problems in my job and all over my life, I was erratic and an emotional rollercoaster, after 2 weeks on Lexapro I felt stable and always the happiest person in the room, my brain needs this to function correctly without a doubt. I look back and cant believe I was the person I once was."

toz October 19, 2017

For Anxiety "For me and other people I have suggested this medication too it has completely changed our lives for the better. Reading reviews you often see knee jerk reactions from people suffering deeply and then taking the medication and going through the up to 4 week period of feeling worse. That is a tough 4 weeks if you felt you where already at breaking point, easy to pull out the pitch fork at that time. But you're less likely to hear from the people who would tell you the polar opposite of that because once taking lexapro providing you are feeling better it’s easy to leave the dark world behind and return to the light. My suggestion to anyone who has been recommended this, ignore stigma and try this for at least 4 weeks at your doctors direction. GL ML"

Wilex October 17, 2017

For Anxiety "I struggled with severe postpartum anxiety and depression for two years after my daughter was born. I went to therapy but was still struggling. I didn't want to take medication for a very long time, because I just didn't want to be a "medicated mom." I always thought it would get better. It didn't and I was exhausted. I am taking only 10mg of lexapro now (therapeutic dose is considered 20mg) and I'm staying at 10. My life is COMPLETELY different. I feel joy and happiness again, my anxiety is gone, I sleep well, my sadness and anger are gone. It is life changing and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. And I'm actually a better, happier mom now! Give yourself a chance to get better. Mild side effects at first - mild nausea and headache."

SColly (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

For Depression "Lexapro gave me terrible nightmares. I jump out of bed while asleep. I tore both of my arms up and hit the closet door with my head. I scream in my sleep, I break lamps with my flailing arms while I am a sleep. Every side effect listed I have! I fall all the time, I stumble around. This is a terrible medicine!! Never again!! It seems to be taking forever to get out of my system after I stopped it (without my Dr permission). What happens now can not be as bad as the side effects I have!!"

memexyz (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

For Depression "I have been on lexapro for about 6 months. I started on 5mg then 10mg then 15mg which is what I am on now. For the first few weeks it lowered my mood but now I am a whole new person and it was completely worth it. I am so focused on work, enjoy socializing so much more now, appreciate music, it has really lifted my mood from a 4/10 to a 10/10. I still have bad days every now and then but nothing compared to before. My social anxiety has also almost completely gone and people at work comment on how confident I am. I started my job after about 6 weeks of taking it so they never knew me before. I think its really good how it has made me so focused and goal motivated too at work and in life, I am really happy I started this medication."

Lucci1985 October 17, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was hospitalized back in June as a result of my depression and anxiety. Lexapro was the first medication they put me on, followed by hydroxyzine. The first thing I noticed was the minimal side effects. I didn't experience drowsiness or stomach pains or anything that I had expected to experience. Like all depression medication, lexapro is one that needs to stay in your bloodstream for several weeks before you'll actually feel it working. It's not to say that it completely cured my depression, as there is no definitive "cure" for depression, but half of my days were euphoric and the other half I was only feeling a bit down. That is a huge step up from feeling hopeless all the time. I would recommend for both depression and anxiety."

Corri444 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

For Anxiety "Before Lexapro I was on Adderall witch I abused with drinking and resulted in alcohol poisoning and Atrial Fibulation (irregular heartbeat) after this incident my anxiety went through the roof and I feared to drink or take another medication again. I had multiple times where I would go to the emergency room thinking I was having a heart attack and each time they told me it was anxiety. That’s when my doctor recommended lexapro. It does take some time for your body to get used to but once it did my anxiety was almost gone! You just need to let your body get used to it and find the right dose for you. I have been on it for almost a year now and I still get a little anxious but haven’t had any panic attacks."

Devon29118 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 14, 2017

For Anxiety "I was on this medication for a number of years, but I've come off it, because it doesn't help my social anxiety and the side-effects are quite debilitating for me. I have both generalised and social anxiety and though the Lexapro did help me feel generally less anxious, it did not help with the social anxiety. It also made me feel constantly very fatigued. Coming off Lexapro was absolutely horrible and I felt physically and mentally awful. Though it certainly is a good fit for mild to moderate anxiety, I felt like I was trapped on the medication because coming off it even for a day made me physically ill."

MacyPryce (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 12, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "This medication has literally given me my life back! I struggle with depression and anxiety and for those out there reading this and looking to find someone you can relate to. Let me tell you, you aren’t alone. I started this drug about 6 months ago and when I first started, I, like you, came to this site looking for reviews to help me get through it. Like other people on this board have mentioned it takes about 4 weeks to get used to it. I had to take it in conjuncture to Clonepan because it made my anxiety a lot worse at first and I was super paranoid about it and having panic attacks. Just breath. You will make it through and the other side is life as it should be! Stick with it it’s worth it !!"

Dontsweatthesmallstuff October 12, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi! I just wanted to share my experience for those who are out there scared to death to take something that may help them, something your brain may need. Long story short, I was diagnosed with GAD/Panic seven years ago at the age of 19 when my brother was diagnosed with a severe psychiatric mental illness - one that changed his life as well as my families. I began having full blown nocturnal panic attacks, depersonalization, along with extreme anxiety/panic. I tried CBT, changing my diet, doing meditation/yoga, journaling, deep breathing, etc. Nothing worked & nothing helped me overcome this except Lexapro. I am currently a RN and believe my brain needs this medication. Please don't be scared or ashamed if you need to take something to help."

Youarestrongerthanyouknow (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2017

For Anxiety "NEVER HAD AN ANXIETY ATTACK AFTER LEXAPRO. I used to have very severe anxiety , and I had to go to hospital multiple times thinking I had heart attacks. I had hot/cold flashes, chest pains, pounding heart, couldn’t breathe, dizziness.... unfortunately I got off of it to take a pill for my Tourette’s syndrome a few weeks ago and my anxiety came back and the new pill made me sick , so now my anxiety is back badly and I had to go to hospital multiple times thinking I had heart issues again... just got put back on lexipro a week ago hasn’t started working yet I hope it kicks in :( I also took buspar with lexapro before it is a second anxiety pill and u can take them together ."

lovablehaley October 7, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I took this for years and it greatly helped my GAD. I led a normal happy life on 20 mg. Never any real side effects until this year when my white blood cell count dropped very low and it was determined that the Lexapro caused it. I was taken off the medication and within 6 weeks developed horrible anxiety and depression. I’ve tried several new medications since and can’t get relief. It’s been 5 months of hell. I miss my Lexapro. I’m tempted to go back on it and take my chances, as so far nothing else is working and my life totally sucks! This medication was wonderful for me for 17yrs. It totally stopped my previously horrible GAD."

JJ120 (taken for 10 years or more) October 4, 2017

For Depression "I have taken this drug for two years. First at 20 mg for one year, and now at 10 mg. It worked starting in less than a week. It did get to the point where I was blitzed (sleepy) way too much at 20mg. It is a libido killer, that is true, sad to say. And I got fat. However, the antidote is to work out like crazy. I ballooned from 207lb to 222lb, and today I am now at 205lb & dropping. The drug makes you want to eat; I don't think the drug directly makes you fat. My depression went from a 9 out of 10 to a 1. My anxiety went from an 8 out of 10 to a 3. So, the drug is worth it. No there is no perfect drug, but if you want to be well, well...consider what I say, and best wishes as you work towards remission."

Wayne Lafontaine (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2017

For Anxiety "I was taking Celexa for 6 years. It didn't work for me like it once did. I'm 44, hormones are changing. Started Lexapro 4 weeks ago. No side effects, happy and feeling very positive, normal. Once in awhile, I feel angry, but yoga takes my anger away quickly."

Lana Bell October 1, 2017

For Anxiety "Moved cities to try and save money but this hasn't worked out as planned. I been stressed for the last 8 months and one day I just started getting anxiety attack and just depressed as heck. Went go see doctor. Got on 10mg lexapro for first 2 weeks then 20mg after that. Had minor side effects. Trouble urinating. Dry mouth. Minor head ache and the craziest most vivid dreams. And about a 2 week period of bad depression. All has since gone away. Besides the dreams. Very low libido. Don't drink alcohol on this medication is takes away the effects. Took me 3 days to start feeling the meds again. My anxiety is more manageable and i feel more sociable."

Riversyy September 30, 2017

For Anxiety "Oh my goodness! Can I give this drug a negative rating? Took it for one day and felt like a dang maniac! Took it before bed, and the next morning I woke up and felt so nauseous. I have taken Zoloft and Paxil at other times in life and I have never felt so sick and manic - absolute worst feeling ever! Took several days for that one dose to leave my system. However, having sex that night I had the most intense orgasm!"

TLWea (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Oh my goodness I took lexapro 10 mg ONCE 3 nights ago I woke up feeling crazy, heart racing and my veins were on fire it was like my body went into a total shock. It has been over 48 hours and I'm still waiting for the effects to go away the depression is not so bad I feel better and have more energy to actually do Day to Day things. But the pain in my veins still pops up and the heart palpitations won't stop. I don't want to tell anyone not to take medicine when they need it but I am a natural remedy lover. I went to the beach yesterday I relaxed all day I ate three meals I drank lots of water and have been trying to sweat the pill out. This pill made me feel like I could deal with the panic better than actual medicine. Scariest experience ever."

Maris_89 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

For Depression "I had a terrible experience on this drug. It resulted in me having regular panic attacks, heart palpitations, caused me to become trapped in negative state and paranoid. I'm not one who reviews meds very often but this medication proved to be very dangerous for me. I spent a lot of time in a state of paranoia. My Dr did not listen to me when I kept stating it wasn't right for me. In the end I reduced my dose ( I don't condone this though ) and have been off it for around 4 months now. I can honestly say I'm doing much better , able to function, don't stay on states of paranoia etc. I'm also able to make clear choices etc."

Katbb September 25, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Last week, I was doing the same thing you are probably doing. Scouring the internet for any reviews on Lexapro that tell me when it is going to start working. I needed any kind of reassurance that the side effects would be worth it. I was so anxious that I couldn't sleep, couldn't stop crying or obsessing over the symptoms of my anxiety, and was struggling to function with a 3 month old baby at home and just going back to a stressful job. It is day 12 on Lexapro, and I feel normal. I have slept the last 3 nights without Ambien, and I am calm. I feel genuinely happy for the first time in a month. I am feeling super encouraged and hopeful. I just wanted to share my experience and give you the reassurance you are probably looking for."

Johnsont44 September 21, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was on 20mg of Celexa for 4 years for euphoric disorder. About 1 week before my period I would feel creepy cawling tingles up my spine and into my brain. I would have white hot temper outbursts. I was also abusing alcohol. Geez, great times. Now I haven't drank in 7 years. Celexa at that time was a God send. Never felt better. Than 3 weeks ago the medicine stopped working and I had to go to the ER twice in 1 weekend. The anxiety, vomitting, nausea, hot flashes and cold sweats were unmanageable. Finally my friend who is a Internist suggest Lexapro 10mg. I agreed and took it just like Celexa, before bed. I woke a new woman. All side effects gone, and normal feelings of happiness are in my heart. First day, so things may change, but I'm better."

Better321 September 17, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Before you read everyone's comments, understand that mental illness is not all the same and isn't fully understood. (With your doctor) you have to experiment which out works best for you. All medications take a few months to work for their full potential. Take them exactly how your doctor recommends them and take them exactly on time. I know it's hard but be patient, you'll get their and it'll change your life. I've been taking Lexapro ( escitalopram ) for a few years now. Before taking it, I tried everything in the book. I went from sweaty palms, forgetful thoughts, sweaty armpits, loss of sleep, overwhelmed with anxiety, stomach issues...etc to feeling sharp, happy and not depressed. I take it exactly within 24 hours everyday."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 10, 2017

For Depression "Have been taking for over 10 years mixed in with a period of about 2 years when my doctor took me off because of depression symptoms subsiding. The majority of the time I have been on 10mg, last 2 years have had dose raised to 20mg. The drug has worked great for me. Terrific improvement from when I started and 99% reduction in panic attacks. Reduction in OCD symptoms as well. Well tolerated for me at least, but I realize with these medications everyone is different. It’s not perfect but the relief I got was real and changed my life. For that I am thankful."

Jay more September 8, 2017