User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 6)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Major Depressive Disorder
7.3

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,260 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Anxiety "I suffer from depression and anxiety. I was on a number of meds before my doctor put me on Lexapro.. they were all horrible and made my anxiety worse. I was starting to lose hope that I would never find a medication to help. Thankfully Lexapro is helping! It's a lifesaver!! I could tell a difference after the first day..I'm much more "normal" I don't fly into a rage so easily, I don't feel overwhelmed constantly and I'm not irritated all the time for no reason. My moods are much more stable. Before Lexapro I seriously felt like I was losing it. My husband even told me he notices a huge difference in me since being on this. I'm also prescribed klonopin for my anxiety but since being on Lexapro I haven't had a need to take it. I love Lexapro!"

AmberLynnxX (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I've taken this medication for a year and a half after switching from Zoloft (that wasn't helping at all) and while Lexapro somewhat improved my anxiety I haven't seen a major difference. I still get anxiety attacks every now and then and get depressed to the point I cry a lot. I personally find xanax to work much better for my anxiety but everyone is different."

76574 March 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I started taking lexapro for anxiety and depression. My anxiety was so bad at times, I felt like I was having mini panic attacks. The worst part of my day was the thought of waking up and having to go to work. I have 3 children and felt like I couldn't take care of them, thank god for my family. Besides the occasional Advil for a headache, I do not take any other medications and didn't really like the idea of being on this type of medication. BUT, you know what? I have a family, friends, a career, and house, so if I have to take a little pill to feel better, then so be it. I'm just glad I don't have to suffer and there is help out there."

Beach bunny82 March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Lexapro is great. I take it along with Lamictol for bipolar treatment. Although overall stable, I am subject to bouts of depression and found that Lexapro increases enhances mood lessens the severity and length of depression. I take 15 mg/day; will go to manic at 20mg/day"

Velveteen Rabbit (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have suffered from Anxiety and Panic attacks since my 20's sporadically. Now in my 40's recurrence has significantly increased due to a series of personal events to a point that I was starting to be afraid of being alone. I was hesitant to initiate medication but 3 weeks into it I feel the best I have felt in a long time. The first two weeks are tough, with nausea, dizzyness and headaches but it is worth it."

GFR February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I take 10mg daily beginning two years ago for anxiety. The only side affect was for the first week. All I wanted to do was sleep. My body relaxed so much, I was not sleep deprived anymore. Afterwards it levelled off. My Dr. and I keep constant checkups and it's working out great."

Janeygirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I'm a 47 years old man that had NEVER ever in my life had taken an anti depressent. I have always had anxiety and would take xanax as needed .25mg. First few weeks of February I had a lot of negative things happen in my life and my anxiety went through the roof and I was borderline depressed. My Dr Perscribed me Lexapro 10mg. THAT WAS THE WORST 8 DAYS OF MY LIFE. I got upset stomach. And in the first 3 days I started talking to myself and had suicidal thoughts and aggression. I was absolutely scared out of my mind. My anxiety worsened to the point where I couldn't sleep for 3 days. I was literally dying inside. So my Dr stopped it. Then withdrawal set in. 5 days later I'm coming out of it. I'm on seroquel now. MUCH BETTER. Actually helps the anxiety."

Anonymous February 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Lexapro was a life saver for me. It helped me complete every day tasks that I could not do before taking this drug. I've tried nearly every other SSRI but this one was the best. The only negative part about this drug is the withdrawal symptoms. They are HORRIBLE. I recently found out I was pregnant and I had to cut down my dose according to my Dr. I was super dizzy, very faint and unable to leave my house. If I didn't have to stop these drugs, I would still be okay. However, slowly weening off these drugs have caused me to slip in a horrible anxious state."

JayH77425 February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I have been on Lexapro 10 mg for six weeks. I was really nervous to start, because I have never taken any type of medication before. The first few weeks I did have side effects (including, nausea, dry mouth, and a kind of out of it feeling). It worried me but I stuck it out to four weeks, because all of my medical friends insisted that I do. I am so glad that I did! I feel so at ease about everything that used to control my mind excessively. I am so much more bubbly and comfortable with conversations with others. It really just took that edge off for me. All of the side effects have gone away. I strongly recommend."

fattah February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I developed severe panic attacks. I felt like I was dying or going to pass out. Something was seriously wrong with me. Logically I knew nothing was going to happen but then the panic came anyone I left the house. Shaking, sweating, disorentation, couldn't breathe etc etc. Starting lexapro was hard. I started at small dose of 5mg and had to adjust to it. Nothing more than I already felt. After about 2 weeks I started to not notice I was taking anything. And then all the sudden I was at a store and I forgot to panic, I felt fine. I do have panic attacks still they are not gone but better. There are situations I still can't handle but daily living, going to work, school function, dinner etc I can now do."

Outrightscared February 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Before lexapro I spent the majority of my time sleeping in bed and hiding away from people, plus I felt really depressed. It's really good for anxiety. I rarely worry anymore. I only focus on solutions and try not to worry about the things I can't control, and lexapro has helped me feel more emotionally balanced."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I've been on 10mg of lexapro for a little over a month now. My depression like I've said before has lifted. I do have some spells here & there. My anxiety is still an issue just not as bad as it was. However I did start getting jittery/shaky. I'm not sure what that could be caused from!? I do take clonezapam when I start to feel those symptoms coming on. But I'm trying to not depend on it. I'm not sure if my dose of the lexapro needs to go up, I really don't want to go up. I'm hoping I can go off this medication by summer time."

Crazybaby February 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I have been taking lexapro for about six months now. I was put on it for a panic attack and mild depression. I am someone who never takes meds unless I have too and was very worried about being on this drug because I feared the side affects when it would be time to get off. I decided on therapy and lexapro. I am only on ten milagrams, 39 and petite. I can't say that this drug has caused me weight gain but if I am extra hungry I choose a healthier snack. I will say that the first few days of taking the med I did feel tired, and tense in my arms but I will say the panic attack attributed to that. I am doing great I am more relaxed and happier . Therapy is key too. Hang in there and talk to someone!!"

Zoeroc123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro has changed my life for the better. When I was in my early 20's, I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and depression. I took Lexapro for about 15 years until recently weaning off of it because I was feeling great. That was a mistake. Three months after weaning, I started to suffer from severe anxiety and depression, and now have starting taking Lexapro again with the help of a therapist and my doctor who specializes in stress management. The day I went back on Lexapro, I started to feel better. I have been able to sleep and focus on my job and my life has improved greatly. I am convinced that going back on Lexapro saved my marriage and my relationship with my 2 1/2 year old son."

emiller0408 February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I had been on Lexapro 20mg for years and was tired of the weight gain and thought I was okay enough to be off of it. Weaned myself off of it over a long time and went through all of the brain zaps, confusion, exhaustion, etc. But, finally I was off it. I was starting to get depressed again and not very clear thoughts but I thought I could handle it. Then, I got the flu and was on Tamiflu (never again) and all of the depression and anxiety raised its ugly head again. Could not shake it. The horrible thoughts, depression, hopelessness, insomnia, etc. I started a week ago back on Lexapro 5mg and already feel much better. I am starting to get more tired during the day but I do not care. I may bump up to 10mg. If you need it, you need it."

sas63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Went on these 8 weeks ago. 4 weeks on 10mg then 4 weeks on 20mg. They've just started to work properly and I feel much more positive. To get the most benefit I've had to stop drinking and improve my diet. I was pretty depressed and having anxious thoughts for two years before taking these. I've taken Elavil, Remeron and Lustral before but not really had good results. Felt odd at first but side effects have reduced. Still having strange feeling yawns, slightly delayed and weaker orgasm (was much worse to begin with), along with a little insomnia. I'm putting up with these. I think Lexapro is "cleaner" than the other SSRIs and more precise. I plan to take these for a year and then take a break, but will need them again in the future."

Ozzywozzy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I first went on Lexapro 10mg in 2010. I was previously on Paxil and Klonipin and while they weren't too bad I wasn't myself. I switched to Lexapro 10mg and it immediately helped me. I felt great except for some weight gain. In 2012 I began to get depressed and than due to some high stress situations I had a small panic attack which then followed with the return of GAD. My doctor increased the dosage to 20mg and also added Klonipin. This only made we feel worse. I finally switched to Effexor and Remeron which was better but not great. last year I decided to give Lexapro another shot and it's been 5 months that I've been on it. Unfortunately I have also had to take Adivan and the experience has been horrible. This week I will switch to Zoloft"

DesparateForRelief (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I broke out in hives and was very lethargic when I woke up and about 3 hours later was still tired"

Heidipoo January 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "I am diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder, and took Lexapro for a few years for my depression. At first in helped, but then it stopped working. I am now on Cymbalta."

BipolarGirl31 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I was once you, anxiously reading reviews for Lexapro. I began getting severe anxiety and mild depression and my doctor recommended 10mg of Lexapro. I have never liked taking drugs, but I felt like it was my only choice. The first 2-3 weeks my experience worsened. Every side effect you could have, I had. Drowsiness, sleep problems, nausea, vomiting, decreased libido, constant yawning, the list goes on. However it started to lighten up every week. By Week 6, every side effect was gone. 11 months later and I'm still on 10mg and I can't explain how much my life has improved over the past year. My life is back. I'm happier than ever and enjoying every aspect of life again. It may be hard at the start, but it's worth it. I believe in you! peace"

Tigga (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression "Today was my first day and I feel amazing. Life is on the right track. I feel free from bondage. Small things don't matter anymore. I love the new me"

Wow87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Didn't notice an effect yet..."

M246 January 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Supposed to be 6 weeks to take effect. I felt instantly calmer, happen the NEXT day! Couldn't believe it. Started at 10mg moved to 20 MG in year of use. My problem now is its been 7 years of working for me but 20mg doesn't have same effect of earlier years. I want to have increase in MG use. How to I get doctor to do this?"

Kat Suter (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "I hated lexapro I tried it twice with 20mg and had to stop taking it, Every time I took it I threw up a lot, I felt horrible I felt like a zombie, I also had mild hallucinations that were not fun and rapid heartbeat it was just awful."

Vomiting, Hallucinations (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety "Wow, just wow. It's been almost going on 2 months, and I feel like a completely better person. First of all hang in there. Side effects are hard the first week but you will get levelled out. I go to the gym and don't have an anxiety attack and run out after only 30 minutes thinking I'm dying. The fear factor has went away and that's the first thing I have noticed. My overall mental balance and mood has dramatically improved, I don't feel as off in a chemical imbalanced but more balanced and confident. I don't ever want to get off this."

5mg (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2017