User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 4)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lexapro.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Major Depressive Disorder
7.2

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,278 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I have noticed such a difference on this medication. I feel more calm about life in general. Social situations used to be extremely difficult for me and now I can be in a room full of people and not feel overwhelmed or anxious. Anyone who struggles with anxiety needs to give this a try. Social anxiety / GAD is a terrible thing to deal with but I feel betteR and now I wish I had this medication sooner."

katetyler (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2017

For Depression "I've always had GAD, but ever since starting high school it's gotten x10 worse. Even though I would go see a therapist, and while it did help with coping, all of my anxiety symptoms I was experiencing got in the way of me living a normal life. I got on cipralex starting with 2.5 mg for a week, gradually increasing, now on 7.5 mg. I can honestly say that ever since starting this medication, my anxious thoughts are way better than they were, I can drive to a friends house without feeling anxious, the constant "what if" thoughts are gone, my bowel movements are much better, I'm socializing with people more, I barely cry, I see more colours and smells etc. I strongly recommend to teens struggling, because no one should have to :)"

oceanetia (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

For Depression "After struggling with depression and anxiety for the past 10 years (23 now), I was beyond miserable with the way I felt. Due to the depression and anxiety, I isolated myself from friends, dreaded things I used to enjoy, etc. I saw my doctor about a month ago and was prescribed Escitalopram (generic of Lexapro), at 5 mg. In the beginning of starting this medication, I noticed nausea, increased anxiety and irritability, and tiredness. After 2 weeks of starting this medication, I slowly started feeling the positive effects, which included lowered depression and the ability to control my anxiety and panic attacks. I am so grateful my doctor prescribed me this medication, because I finally feel like I'm regaining my happiness and self-esteem!"

Chrissy94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2017

For Anxiety "Follow up on review posted over a year ago: I have just successfully quit Lexapro with a very slow 6 month taper. I took 10-15 mg for panic for one year, then started taper. Wanted to advise to taper ON this med as well as off! My Dr. had me jump right on at 10 mg and the first 3 weeks of adjustment was horrible...by contrast my taper off was a breeze because it was very gradual. Lexapro worked for me and I would take it again if ever necessary!"

c9 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2017

For Depression "I've been taking Lexapro 10mg (5mg at first to build up slowly) for about 6 weeks. I did feel nauseous for a few days. I noticed a change about a week after starting. I take lithium and Wellbutrin- but those only seemed to help my anxiety. I still had intermittent depression- I would just get into these moods where one little thing would put me in a fog of sadness and hopelessness. I cried a lot, was distracted, and had a lot of negative racing thoughts. My provider recommended Lexapro since it works on a different neurotransmitter than Wellbutrin. I just feel normal. I don't feel like things are dulled - just that I can control my reaction better. I can feel sad, but I don't feel depressed. I don't dwell on feeling sad."

EllieEight July 9, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I started Lexapro for lifelong depression and anxiety, which at times has been quite severe. I have tried probably about 3/4 of all your typical SSRI and SNRI drugs. Some were kind of helpful, some helped a little while then stopped, some made things worse. Lexapro has saved my life. I have been on it about seven months now and feel better than expected. I am not overwhelmed as soon as I wake up, which was a huge reason I slept all the time. I generally feel positive most of the time. One added effect I was not expecting was my concentration, focus and memory seemed to improve. My social anxiety has improved significantly, which was a huge issue for me. This helped me. Keep searching til you find the right med FOR YOU"

julie6485 July 6, 2017

For Anxiety "This drug -super small dose - has changed my life. I have been a nurse for 26 years. My stress and anxiety levels were at the max! I just wanted to sleep on my days off and I did not want to socialize. I was easily overwhelmed and worried constantly. I was just awful. I started lexapro at 10 mg and it was too much ! I backed down to 5 mg and the first 3 weeks were hell. I felt out of body - exhausted but could not sleep - it was just an awful three weeks. After reading many reviews to hang in there --- that's what I did. Around week 3-4 - I adjusted. I felt like my worries rolled off my back, I wanted to do things, I felt more energy than I had in years, I was laughing and finally listening to people did not annoy me! Hang in!!"

Stephanie 1970 July 4, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I switched from Prozac was feeling amazing but there was one problem. It constipated me. I tried to stick to it but it never went away. I do suggest you try this medication because it worked amazing just couldn't handle that side effect. GOOD LUCK"

Wlunate June 29, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro was fine. It wasn't great, but it also wasn't awful. It did lessen my anxiety, but not as much as I had hoped. Every time I went up in dose, I would start to dissociate more frequently, so that didn't really help. I completely lost my ability to orgasm, was constantly constipated, had headaches, and needed 10-12 hours of sleep a night to even begin to function the following day. Coming off of Lexapro was a disaster. I had brain zaps and sweats, and developed major depression, which I hadn't really dealt with ever before."

Courtney1123 June 27, 2017

For Depression "Lexapro helped when I was in college battling depression. I had to go to 30mg to notice a difference. Gained over 25 pounds , no matter what I ate or how much I exercised. After intense therapy and intense workouts my depression lifted after about 6 months. Came off lexapro after two years. Depression came back and lexapro did not work. Trying to get meds back stable. Trying lamatical and prozac now"

Beardman2012 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2017

For Depression "I've only been on it for a couple months but it seems to have kicked in. I distinctly remember the moment I felt it; it was a sort of euphoria that felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. After that, it definitely died down. It has helped with anxiety and agitation, but I don't feel like it has been doing anything in the way of depression. It's also flattened me out quite a bit in lieu of helping me feel more balanced. I'm going to wait a little longer and then probably try something else."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

For Anxiety "Anxiety lifer here. My demon has gotten cruel in the past few years by manifesting itself in severe premature ventricular contraction (PVC's) every time I start to leave the house or get in a slightly stressful situation. After a massive panic attack on a flight home from London to DC, I decided I had enough. I told my GP I want to go back on Lexapro. Like every other time, Lexapro works almost immediately for me - my PVC's and agoraphobia have muted drastically on only 5mg a day! Yes there is slight weight gain and potential sexual side effects but I'll take those over the other stuff any day. It's cliche but I do feel like I have my life back. I even ventured out for a run around the city tonight with zero PVC's. Sucks being on a drug but I'm ok with it today."

CorbettTheFirst June 25, 2017

For Depression "I've been on Zoloft (Sertraline) in the past and now Lexapro. I find them equally effective and no real difference in side effects. Insomnia, dry mouth and yawning/jaw clenching for the first couple of weeks which is unpleasant but transient. My anxiety levels started to improve after a couple of weeks but didn't notice any major improvements in mood for 6-8 weeks and took 3 months to reach full effect. Definitely has helped me and I intend to stay on it long term. I have also tried valdoxan (agomelatine) in the past which did absolutely nothing for me and I went backwards while on it. SSRIs seem to work better for me."

Susie121 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2017

For Anxiety "I am on month 2 of starting Lexapro. I was on Celexa for 4 years top dose and the benefits were declining for me so my physician prescribed 20 MG of Lexapro to start with. Initially I had no side effects the first month. Now am finding that I have been having night sweats, strange vivid dreams and all of a sudden bad acne on my face and neck that I never really had before other than the occasional PMS breakout. My energy level has been wonderful as I was really starting to feel exhausted all the time for no reason while on Celexa and my attention span had dramatically increased since starting Lexapro as I used to have trouble keeping attention."

Orrwhat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I read so many scary things when I started Lexapro for GAD but I was so desperate to get my life back! I tried Zoloft and it had a really bad effect on me. I switched to Lexapro 10 mg after two weeks on the Zoloft and it took a bit for the Zoloft to leave my system (maybe a week)? After a couple weeks on Lexapro 10 mg I went to 15 mg. After one week on 15 it was like a light switch went off in my head. All the anxiety is gone. I had a lot of start up side effects most notably increased anxiety, lack of appetite, waking up with panic attacks and just feeling like crap. But at that point where it kicked in, all that is gone. I feel better than I have in years!!! Not the right med for everyone but give it a chance to see if it works for you."

AwesomeGurlz June 20, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I used to suffer from panic attacks frequently that made me feel like I was constantly about to faint or have a heart attack. It was so bad at one point I couldn't leave the house. I was extremely worried about taking this (probably as a result of GAD I was diagnosed with) but I've been on lexapro since November last year and haven't had a panic attack since! It was hard getting used to lexapro at first and I experienced visual hallucinations upon waking up, but a small dose of valium helped take the edge off. Now anxiety isn't interfering with my daily life and I barely think about it. I'm now learning meditation, CBT and looking after my physical health so I can wean off the drug later in the year when I'm mentally ready for it"

Eloa7 June 20, 2017

For Anxiety "I was having horrible anxiety attacks, panic attacks and was border line manic. I was going through a lot of stress and hit my limit. My family urged me to see a Dr who started me on 2.5 lexapro for a week then up to 5 mg the week after. I stayed on 5 mg for 1 month seeing improvements. Eventually I decided to bump up to 7.5 which I'm currently on . I still get anxiety but I am able to feel in control. I don't have attacks anymore. I'm sleeping better and eating again. Side effects only lasted the first month . I got really tired 20 min after taking it , drowsy, night sweats. Make sure to take it with a snack, I find it hits the stomach like a rock. Over all has given me my life back. And I don't feel like I'm on medication."

Christine2425 June 18, 2017

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I was prescribed this med for GAD/anxiety. Worst 10 days of my life. Nausea, retching, dilated pupils, insomnia and vivid dreams, but worse yet near constant panic attacks. Coming off it now. I understand this drug helps many people. Unfortunately I was not one of them."

Babe20 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

For Anxiety "My anxiety peaked 6 years ago. Not only did I dread social interaction of any kind (talking to co-workers, going out with friends, even being around my own family) but I had experienced a panic attack on the freeway which kept me from driving anywhere far from my home for two years. I was extremely stubborn and didn't want chemicals to "change" my reality. I finally had to admit to myself that my reality sucked - bad. I'm overjoyed to report that Lexapro saved me. It took a month for me to realize I was greeting people in passing again. I drive on the freeway again and love being around people. Stick with it even if you feel "weird" at first. You CAN have your life back! I take it at night, the initial drowsiness helps me sleep."

MizLiss17 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2017

For Anxiety "I've been on Lexapro for maybe 1.5 years, and this drug has worked pretty well in reducing my anxiety and depression. I started on 10mg which may have helped a tiny bit, but I still felt awful. A month or two after having my dose increased to 20mg, I started to feel better. Lexapro helped me lift myself out of my ~6 month long period of anxiety and depression, but I wasn't "cured." I still have mental issues which I need to work on. In terms of side effects, there were almost none. I got headaches right when I started and also after going on 20mg, but they only lasted a few days. I also find my long-term memory is a bit worse, and time seems to fly by faster. Oh, and it's super cheap if you can get the generic version."

Tobey L June 15, 2017

For Anxiety "extreme increased anxiety"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

For Anxiety "excellent med if you are afraid of side effects, had none. used for 10 yrs until stopped working. was on celexa also for 10 yrs excellent med for no side effects .both Lexapro and Celexa are excellent for treating mental disease. avoid ZOLOFT was on for two weeks my brain was in another dimension , made anxiety worse. now its hell on earth for me looking for another ssri. clonzepam is excellent for anxiety no side effects. docs wont prescribe it for me."

Anonymous June 12, 2017

For Anxiety "A year ago I had a major health scare that turned out to be fine in the end, but I ended up crashing, developing severe insomnia, severe anxiety, muscle twitches all over, major joint pain, brain fog and finally a depression. I resisted taking drugs as I thought I was going to get lots of side effects. I tried everything under the sun; yoga, meditation, acupuncture, tinctures, craniosacral therapy, psychotherapy, kinesiology etc. My psychiatrist and GP both strongly recommended I should take Lexapro. When I started pondering why I was living I started taking the meds. I started sleeping better and after some weeks the worst dread was gone and so was the anxiety. After 2 months I feel MUCH better and I hardly had any side effects at all!:)"

Olivia78 June 10, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "My experience with lexapro has been overall well, I suffer from a severe depression ever since I smoked a very potent strains of cannabis which triggered me to get severely depressed and anxious, I didn't take lexapro until about 6 months of it sitting in my drawer after manning up and growing the courage to take half of 10mg for a week until the side effects subsided and raised it to 10mg, I felt less anxious at first then after 2 weeks I raised it to 20mg and felt less depressed and that's what I'm currently on. I'm waiting till week 8 too see if it gets better to know if I should keep taking it."

James1738 June 9, 2017

For Major Depressive Disorder "For posterity, I'm currently also taking Wellbutrin, Trazodone, and I'll be starting Vyvanse soon. Past SSRI's include Prozac and Zoloft; Prozac worked great but then pooped out and Zoloft didn't do much of anything. My depression and anxiety have easily tripled over the past couple due to being sexually assaulted and the deaths of two very close friends. As a result, I get agitated extremely easily at work and feel extremely low and hopeless at home. I'm currently taking 20 mg Lexapro and I believe I just felt it kick in? It's like a warm hug for the brain. I'm not feeling irritable, I'm fairly relaxed, and I'm excited for the rest of my day. I feel like it's only going to get better from here."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017