User Reviews for Lexapro (Page 4)

Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Major Depressive Disorder
7.1

Summary of Lexapro reviews 7.8 1,386 reviews

Reviews for Lexapro

For Depression "Fantastic medication for Depression. Usually 20mg but I'm on 30mg since recovering from 2nd major depression. NOTE: Beware of the GENERIC especially by Mylan Escitalopram 10mg Mylan NDC 0378-3856-77 it was totally ineffective for myself back in 2012 and some others I know in 2018 - literally like a placebo you might have to take generic due to insurance but if you worsen have your doctor justify you need the BRAND LEXAPRO"

GeorgeL (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2018

For Depression "I was prescribed Lexapro for PTSD -- I have social phobias, panic disorder, anxiety, agoraphobia and depressive disorder. Was on it very briefly for me to realize I needed to be off it like yesterday! Made me dissociate and have flashbacks very vividly and violently in my head for long durations of time. Also started seeing flashing lights while I was on it. A big NO GO!"

staceya97 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

For Depression "I cannot even put into words the new life lexapro has given me. I refer ages 13-20 years as the “grey period” at first thought it was me going thru puberty & the changes in my hormones affected my mood. Fast forward to age 20, I had a complete mental breakdown. I was completely against antidepressants. I always thought I could cure myself without a pill- I would have periods of a few months of normalness, but then the depression & grey period always crept back up. That caused me to finally reach out to a doctor. After 2 months, I felt so much lighter. Fast forward to age 21 & I am a completely different person. My outlook for life & the way I process things, I feel a sense of a clearer, brighter, world full of possibilities. It sounds so cheesy- but life feels like it should feel, finally. (FYI- mental health issues run heavily in my family of both my father & mothers side. This is a chemical imbalance that was inherited, not created. I am learning this recently.)"

Hannah April 22, 2018

For Depression "I hope my experience can help you make the right decision. I took Cipralex for 8 Years, and originally got on it, after experiencing anxiety/panic attacks. Also, I felt a little down on myself being in University and having self esteem issues. I started off at 10MG's, and moved up to 20 MG's. This drug actually made me less self conscious, and more outgoing. However, it would make me feel 'slightly' manic, in the sense I would talk non-stop if the opportunity presented it self. It doesn't mix well with Alcohol, (nor the day's after, WOW). I would say this medication is okay. It works better for depression. Be mindful about what you seek out of it For Anxiety, not so much. It is okay.... Personally, I am looking for a medication that moderates and keeps depression AND anxiety in check. So I will be looking elsewhere. Not to mention, Cipralex is overpriced vs its generic competitors. I can't handle the generic one either."

hmaqsood (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 18, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on escitalopram for about 12 weeks now. I was a "normal" person my whole entire 20 years of life, and when anxiety hit me out of absolutely nowhere. I had severe derealization symptoms that basically drove my anxiety through the roof. All of a sudden, I was a completely different person; once an outgoing, lively, fearless girl to someone who couldn't even look up. Because of this I spiralled into a horrible depression. I think one of the scariest feelings was I would panic and a wave of helplessness would just hit me and I felt like my whole world was falling apart. After taking lexapro, I started to very gradually feel better. It was never like an on and off switch but as the weeks went by, I just slowly started feeling better/mood lift/less tense/etc. Now, I feel great and like myself again and am doing more for myself in the past few weeks than I have the past few years. Give it a shot, it will be rough in the beginning like everybody says, but it will be worth it."

jay jay April 13, 2018

For Depression "I cannot express strongly enough how much Lexapro has turned my life around. I have suffered from bad depression since my teens (I’m now 29) and also anxiety. I’ve had therapy for years which was helpful but never managed to get the depression under control. I was beginning to think I’d never shake it. My GP convinced me to start taking 5mg Lexapro 3 months ago and within days I found I FINALLY had some reprieve from the constant feeling of despair I used to sink into. I have not felt the need to increase my dose yet - and the only major side effect was extreme lethargy for the first month. I am content for the first time in years. I feel like this drug has made me who I really am without the weight of depression - and the tools given to me in therapy now have a chance to be applied now I’m not being hijacked by my emotions. I truly hope it has the same effect for anyone else reading this, or at least gives hope that there may be a drug out there that will work for you."

CelFro April 10, 2018

For Anxiety "I unfortunately was one of those people who it took 4-5 weeks to see any benefit from Lexapro, but once it kicked it, it was life changing. I went from debilitating anxiety to where I couldn't even leave my house to finally feeling like the "old" me again. It was a slow transition, nothing black-and-white, but I can look back and see how the med slowly started to work. Side effects lasted a couple weeks and included headaches, endless fatigue, and I have to be careful what I eat because I have gained about 5 lbs., but I'd take those side effects over living in a constant dream-like state from anxiety. Started on 10 mg and am now on 15 mg. Give it a shot!"

anxiousity (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2018

For Depression "Because I’m a teenager I started off on 5 mg then when I wasn’t sure if it was working or doing anything I went up to 10 and after realizing nothing has changed I moved up to 15. It might just be me not responding to the medication but I feel like I’ve wasted a lot of time and energy with this medication which I was originally excited to go on. If I forgot to take it for a day I see no difference (not sure if I should but just in case) I’m glad it’s helping other people but it doesn’t help and causes a lot more stress in my life that I don’t need. Fortunately I talked to my doctor today and I’m going to start to reduce my way off the meds (which I don’t really even think I need to do because they don’t do anything)"

Nugget March 28, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I’m on lexapro day 1. Moved out of home 6 months ago and now all the hype has gone I’m struggling with day to day activities and hardly eating. My bf cheated on me and I’ve kept him over it so that creates big anxiety issues for me too. Today is day one I tried pristique yesterday and it was an absolute no go as I got heaps of numbing and tingling. Today my face is a little numb and my arm tingles so slightly but I have eaten which is a big thing after no meals for two weeks. I feel a little groggy tired but can’t sleep so just having lay downs. Will keep all updated."

Minds (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder "Was prescribed Lexapro 10 mg about 7 months ago after a really bad depressive episode on Zoloft, which led to me being highly suicidal. At first this drug was truly amazing as I'd finally started to feel normal, the negative thoughts and rumination disappeared along with my anxiety, I started going to the gym and enjoying my life like never before. A really important advice I'd give is to NOT drink alcohol while taking Lexapro if you used to have a problem with drinking or being more or less of an alcoholic. I do not know if drinking is the cause but after a while I became highly depressed and could not restrain from drinking alcohol. I gained 20 lbs (which has never happened before as I do not usually gain weight) and lost all my libido, lost interest in everything and started to isolate myself from friends and family. Even tried to increase the dosage of Lexapro to 20 mg and it made me incredibly anxious and numb."

Catuness (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 25, 2018

For Depression "I have been taking Lexapro 10mg for six months now. I did not really think I had depression and thought that I was struggling greatly with anxiety. Now that I am experiencing the difference I realize I was suffering from depression . It was a rough start at first. I found myself crying and honestly feeling worse. The first glimpse of it working came in around six weeks. I was scared to believe it. These days I have a happier base level. I do not feel overly happy or out of touch with my emotions. Actually have the ability to feel all of my emotions and not try to run from them. I still struggle with some loop thinking but it is not as bad as it was. Overall I am so incredibly grateful for this drug in my life. I coupled it with talk therapy and that made a huge difference to have someone tracking my progress and being a sounding board as I transitioned through the side affects. I hope to be able to quit someday but that will not be anytime soon as my quality of life is so much better."

Ana March 20, 2018

For Depression "After a series of deaths I slipped into depression to the point that I didn’t remember what it was like to feel normal. Basic chores became an overwhelming nightmare. I was constantly thinking about death & cried at the drop of a hat. A year of therapy didn’t help. All I aspired to do was lie in bed. I used to have hobbies but depression robbed me of initiative. I started Lexapro 10 mg & felt a difference within a day. The first week I would wake up feeling hyperactive (I take it at 7 PM and would wake up at 2 am). That went away. I am shocked at how quickly I fall asleep now! I used to toss and turn for an hour trying to shut my brain off. I now fall asleep in 20 min & wake up feeling good. I no longer ruminate or let thoughts spiral out of control. I laugh & even go grocery shopping which before was too exhausting. I have energy and when I want to do something, I do it! I am so grateful for Lexapro. I didn’t know how much I was suffering, or how much my life was passing me by."

For Anxiety "I've been on lexapro 10mg for 5 days, can’t tell much difference just yet. Only side effects are slight headaches from time to time (not a full blown headache), tired, decrease in appetite, had diarrhea once. Trying to stick it out. On the downside my new doctor doesn’t prescribe lexapro so eventually I will have to switch to Celexa soon which I don’t know how I feel about that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2018

For Depression "Was suffering from depression. I started taking 10mg of Lexapro 2 months ago & now I have major anxiety & panic attack’s 24/7. Also feeling very foggy minded and not to mention the 20 lb weight gain!!. I do not like Lexapro one bit."

DeniseH (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Currently writing this from the psych ward. Lexapro 15mg drove me to this place...long forgotten rumination and OCD returned within a week on this drug, severe derealization/depersonalisation, nightmares, intrusive thoughts etc. Even with high doses of seroquel I was still in a horrible place. Gave it 6 weeks and ended up in hospital. Will never touch it again."

roobyskska (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2018

For Anxiety "Made me extremely tired and I could not concentrate at work."

Tarn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Lexapro saved my life and marriage. My anxiety was so bad I feared going to the grocery store, driving, talking on the phone, talking to neighbors. I was scared that nobody liked me, I was moody, I thought I was a bad person and parent and destined for failure. I drank every night and cried all the time bc of family issues. I was mean and irritable to my husband. One day, I decided enough is enough. My doc put me on Lexapro and I’m not looking back! Ever! I am confident, happy, focused and insightful. I’m able to be HERE and NOW instead of an anxious prison in my mind. I still have major problems in my family, but I can deal with them with a clear mind. The first days on it I felt weird, headache, anxious, dry mouth, diarrhea, shaky hands. Now 3 weeks later- I’m good. My hands shake more than they did before and it gives me dry mouth, but it’s worth it. I’m back!!!!"

Happyfeet (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been taking Lexapro for 1 year and 2 months. So far its been a life saver. I couldn't sleep for days, stopped going to work and cried about anything that made me even the slightest bit upset. For me anxiety is like a cock fight going on inside my head. I also take Alprazolam for anxiety attacks, which rarely happen anymore (once or twice a month). I would also recommend finding a good therapist. Mine helps A TON."

GreenRanger (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I live in MN and get anxious in the winters so I go on 10mg every October and it helps. Without it I get thoughts stuck in my head like assuming I said something stupid and then obsessing over it. Or trying to mind read people and always assuming the worst. This med helps shut it off and I am very comfortable being myself when I'm on it. However, I don't like being on it because it also shuts off other thoughts; like being able to actively listen to people or sharing my thoughts on a subject. I will have a hard time coming up with words and stop mid-sentence. My libido was fine and it actually helped me last longer in bed. Eventually it stops working around the spring anyways and I don't want to up the dosage or I'd be a complete moron. I tried coupling it with adderall or Wellbutrin but those caused too much anxiety and I couldn't sleep on adderall. I'm going to try something new this summer, maybe Remeron. But it really, really helps with the anxiety."

J Man March 8, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "Hi all, coming up to week 6 on Lexapro 15mg. First few weeks were absolute hard work. Since starting I’ve been experiencing shakes, twitches, brain fog and derealisation/depersonalisation which has been really awful. I am also currently on seroquel (quetiapine) 25mg in the mornings and evenings. I have had a few glimmers of hope but am still unable to leave the house, speak on the phone etc. I have noticed my ability to cry sober coming back which may seem bad, but is actually a really good thing for tension relief. My psych wanted me to up the dose to 20mg Lexapro but I couldn’t handle it...I know it can take awhile to begin to take effect but seeing everyone improving so much in so few weeks makes me feel worried! Does anyone have any experiences with it working later than expected?"

Rubydoob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder "I am 46 years old. For many years I've been depressed and had anxiety attacks. I was not aware of what I was going through, I've lost friend and stopped speaking to family members. I've been on lexapro for 2 weeks and everyone is complimenting me. They say I look happy, I am glowing, I feel so alive!! I never thought I would feel this way and I am so happy. I take 10mg before bed. I get a good night sleep if I can sneak a nap during the day. I do. But I highly recommend this medication"

Worry freak (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been on 10 mg for 6 months and it definitely has calmed my anxiety issues. No side effects except weight gain about 30 lbs which I am not happy with but still worth taking"

Dotsy February 19, 2018

For Anxiety "I’ve been on this medication for about 2 weeks and I’ve noticed my anxiety getting worse .. is that normal ? Will it get better ... I’ve seen reviews on it getting worse before better and I’m just so scared all the time I feel like I’m not myself . Please someone help me to understand if I should stay on medication"

jayandjay1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2018

For Anxiety "I've been suffering from anxiety and depression since 2017. I found myself not leaving the house, in and out of hospitals, going to so many doctors for answers, not being able to drive, or even be by myself and having panic attacks everyday and so I was giving up. I found a therapist who helped me tremendously! He advised me to get on Lexapro. I was scared, I didn't want to take it and I felt like I was weak I can honestly tell you I am beyond thankful that I made myself get on this medication. It has totally changed my life in such a positive way. I do have to say the first couple of weeks were rough for me. I was dizzy, nauseous, just all the way felt like rubbish BUT STICK IT OUT. I am so thankful. Give this medicine a try but always remember you have to change the way you live your life and your thoughts, always be positive and always remember you will get out of this and you can live a happy and healthy life."

drey_95 February 14, 2018

For Depression "I am very concerned since going on lexapro I have developed restless leg syndrome (RLS) at 65 years of age I am exhausted from lack of sleep and never experience this before."

Anonymous February 10, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes