User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I gained 10 lbs in under 1 week, which sets a speed record among the weight-gain meds I've taken. Since that pushed me up to the pre-diabetic border, my psychiatrist pulled me off of it ASAP - not to mention that when you're severely depressed, how is super chunking up supposed to make you feel better no matter how well the med works? 1 month & I would have been up 40 lbs! I felt no other side effects, nor any positive effects, but 1 week probably wasn't long enough for it to make a difference on my mood - only my rear end."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was diagnosed with psychotic depression for 7 months and my psychiatrist put me on zyprexa 5mg. After using antidepressants I got into mania. This medicine is a miracle. I was relieved in one week. I am still taking it but I became a bit hesitant to continue due to some horrible reviews. Tried Invega And had suicidal thoughts. This medicine is great for mood with combination with lamictal."

MT2233 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking Zyprexa for a few years now and it definitely helping me. I now take Celexa, Wellbutirn, Zyprexa and Xanax. I feel back to my old self again. Very pleased!!"

Destry (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Although the drug works while you are on it you don't really want to take it long term. It causes serious weight gain and leaves you with insomnia if you try to stop it."

AWilliams13 March 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went through a horrific bout of anxiety right around the holidays. It was so bad that I would wake up with my whole body shaking afraid to start the day. I still think that set-back was caused by my doctor trying to switch me to Zoloft from Effexor. At any rate, after many calls and visits, my doctor finally switched me back to Effexor and gave me Zyprexa. He was pretty clear that this would not be a maintenance medicine, since it causes weight gain and other side effects. Well, it did it's job well. Definitely calmed my nerves and made me feel somewhat human again. I also take Klonopin which also helps, but is not as effective. Looking forward someday to being off all this medicine, but desperate times, call for desperate measures."

Maxiemar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed Olanzapine from the hospital after a manic episode and it helped me recover quickly... 5mg morning/night. I asked my primary doc' to prescribe it to me because it seemed to be helping my symptoms. After 1-2 months I started feeling depressed, brain fog, no passion, and it was hard for me to wake up. GAINED 10-15lbs which is my current nightmare!!! I am binge eating... Low energy, low moods, and no concentration. All my hard work of keeping my diet and fitness goals down the drain. Good if you are looking for a quick fix but not long term. BEWARE."

VickyPhuong2 February 2, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "It's a great medicine no side effects so far keeping my mood under control along with carbamazepine ER."

austins dad January 27, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "First year on 5mg at night helped my mood, anger outbursts and anxiety a great deal. Did develop high cholesterol and gained 15 pounds, but the trade off was worth it. Also helps wonderfully with insomnia. After the year mark it was no longer handling my anger well. Started having 2-3 inappropriate outbursts a week. Pdoc started me on geodon but couldn't handle the side effects, so back to the zyprexa I went with another 2.5mg added in the morning and gained another 6 pounds. Have tried other AAPs but can't handle the side effects so I'm still on the zyprexa for now until I get brave enough to try something else again. Taking with Pristiq, Trileptal, Vistiril and Xanax."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I started this because I need to get my mood stable and it doesn't work for me all. I'm 113 lbs and haven't noticed any weight gain, I am really sleepy and thirsty during the night but it helps with my mood."

Jamaican empress (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on Olanzapine in July for depression and bi-polar disorder. As a matter a fact when I came to this country I never heard of bi-polar until about 20-25 year ago. today it seems that everyone you speak to has the disorder. Why is that? I do think that many people need to be on helpful medicine but not Olanzapine which has plethora of side effect even reported deaths. My theory is this I think many people have been convinced by psychiatrists that they have depression and suffer from bi-polar disorder. In the late 1980's and early 1990' there were cases in courts for doctors taking kick backs for prescribing this very expensive drug . Could this still be happening today."

George Ganko (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I had been so unwell off meds for over a year and vomiting daily due to bipolar. I thought vomiting was from physical illness. As soon as i started this med all bp symptoms left AND my stomach is settled. No sexual side effects. Old me is back. No sides! Miracle drug! Weight gain for me will be a pkus not negative"

Yaybdtubfuj December 6, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I took 3mgs of Zyprexa, contained in Symbyax, nightly for about 6 years. The medicine worked well for the first 2 to 3 years. Around year four I started having severe side effects and did not realize it was from the Zyprexa as it had been working so well. I suffered with increasing seizures for about three more years. Bad ones. I wound up in the hospital emergency room and it was the ER doctor that informed me that the Zyprexa was causing the problem. My regular doctor denied Zyprexa as a contributing factor to my seizures. I quit the Zyprexa cold turkey. To say the least it was an absolutely horrible experience. Wean off this drug over a long period of time and even then get ready for horrendous withdrawal symptoms after your last dose."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on zyprexa for about 3 months. While it does tame hypomania it tames too much and I don't want to do anything anymore. Sometimes my mouth works like I have Novocaine in my lips and my speech comes out in a mumble. I've gained 10 lbs. Some have said it was prescribed for anxiety but it has made mine worse. I'm afraid of having to do the things that I have to do. I'm not afraid of doing them, mind you, but afraid of *having* to do them. I feel so much pressure about doing things that I'm unable to do them. That's messed up. And that has come on me this past two weeks. Maybe I'm cycling or maybe it's this drug. Still, enough negative to get me off of it."

ashybashy November 21, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I love Zyprexa (Olanzapine) it has calmed and removed my insanity. I now longer have panic attacks and irritability. I work in retail and i have been in trouble several times with my managers because i snap at costumers. But with Zyprexa it all went away it was amazing........BUT!!! i have to stop taking it because it caused SO MUCH weight gain. I use to weigh 170lbs and within a year i weigh now 226lbs. I don't even eat that much and i still don't lose weight. there's no point going to the gym and doing cardio because the pill prevents me from losing it. So now i have to ask my doctor to give me a medication that doesn't cause weight gain for i can lose the weight. I am so depressed that i have to stop taking it. it has worked wonders 4 me"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was only on the med for a few days when I knew it wasn't the one for me, I felt like I had cement on my veins it was so hard to get out of bed & once I was up I was in such a fog. On top of being super fatigued I was more agitated. I was afraid to reach out to my doctor but I did & I'm glad. Since switching it's a complete 180° in my mood."

Alex123455 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication is terrible. Made me feel drowsy and nauseous and eventually put me into the hospital causing pancreatitis."

t_stiver September 27, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Replaced seroquel with this med, depression worsened after about a week."

Bobby1234yut September 20, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The ultimate fat magnet. I literally doubled my body weight in 6 months. Went from 6 1/2 stone to 13stone. Developed a binge eating disorder! A horrific drug."

Anon611 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have to say this from my own experience, about a year ago I'm not sure what happened but things went haywire and I ended up in hospital diagnosed with bipolar and was put on olanzipine it was good in a sense it cleared my psychotic symptoms and brought me back to reality. I was on 20mg from hospital for about 8 months afterwards but after about a month of coming out of hospital the next 7 were not good I didn't notice at first but I could think properly didn't really feel any emotions and some times I couldn't even speak put on loads of weight and just didn't feel good nothing was changing I felt like a zombie so I asked to come off it so I have been off it about two months and I feel so much better I actually feel human again."

lucariney (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have gained roughly 30-35 lbs in 2 months, and I wake up early in the morning with severe back pain. I'm not sure if its keeping anything at bay. but the back pain is terrible, I'm trying to get off this asap, and onto something that doesn't coincide with a very painful wake-up."

BtoB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Worked well for three months and then developed severe side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety. I take bupropion daily and Xanax (0.5-1 mg as needed) usually twice a day. I started 3 days ago on 5mg olanzapine (@bedtime) . Wow. Noticed much more stable mood on day 1. Today is day 3 and again, very stable mood and sleeping through the night since starting and am VERY happy with these results so far. I have not had a need for xanax since starting. The only side effect I am experiencing so far is fatigue in the morning hours - no change in appetite or other effects mentioned by others in this column. I will post again in a few months to update my results. "

Naterspud July 20, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was on Zyprexa for a week 10mgs originally prescribed for sleep and coming off of Geodon. Gordon caused anxiety eventually. Zyprexa calmed me down but it was still hard to fall asleep without Ambien. I feel tired slow and hungry all the time the next day. But it did calm my nerves the next day so it may be worth it to give it a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication has been very useful in reducing negative thinking. Most people take it at night. I find it more useful when I take it first thing in the morning. It works better if you avoid smoking. I've tried all different antipsychotics, Zyprexa is the only one that seems to work for me."

fyodor July 17, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa was effective at sedating me which prevented the psychotic aspects of my manic episodes from happening very quickly. Since I only had 2 manic episodes in the span of a year, I probably should've stopped taking Zyprexa around 6 months later. Unfortunately I took it for 5 more years which was a MASSIVE mistake. It caused me to be very drowsy and lethargic. Because I started taking it at age 19, I didn't realize the Zyprexa was the culprit until I stopped taking it. I thought I was just a sleepy person. It had a profoundly negative impact on my life because I took it way longer than I should have."

Johnnyjohnjohn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 19, 2016