User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"So here is the straight up deal- zyprexa sucks - it does. It makes you starving but never feel full, you feel tired and foggy, and generally out of it. However if you're going through psychosis it will stop it FAST. Bottom line: don't take it if you don't have to, if you do have to take it as little as possible. Zyprexa saved my life but the side effects are horrible"

cece697 November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Love this medication, but I gained 40 pounds in about 4 months! Stayed on it for years and made me feel normal. I, initially, got on it when it was first released and there were no other atypical antipsychotics on the market. When Seroquel was released, then my psychiatrist switched me to it because it showed weight gain, but not as much. He was correct."

WillnBryant (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I initially started on 5 mg and after 2 weeks my doctor put me on 10 mg. I feel fantastic. My mind doesn't race anymore and I'm finally sleeping all night long. Short lived groggy feeling in morning, I make myself get up and move, that seems to work the best. The suicidal thoughts are gone and I just feel really good. No weight gain yet but I do exercise 3-4 times a week. Only noticeable side affect is i seem to be thirstier and dry mouth. For my Zyprexa has been amazing!"

Jenduke1970 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been medication free for over 10 years when a series of traumatic events escalated in full blown psychosis and deep depression. I was suicidal, unable to sleep and experiencing 6 hour long panic attacks. I was put on olanzapine 5mg at night and have been taking it for just over 1 year. I was able to sleep through and the nightmarish world I inhabited slowly began to clear like a thick fog. At the time I thought there was no way I would make it out alive! The deep depression took longer to lift and after no luck combining it with proxac or citalopram I hit on the right combination with Effexor 225mg. Still, the Olanzapine was my 'daylight' drug. Weight gain has been an issue but my appetite is more manageable now and am exercising."

BPGirl40 September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "They would give it to me every day for mania and I then I developed an allergy to it and it gives you very bad mood swings"

Eggio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 5mg of olanzapine at night with 250mg of lamictal, the olanzapine has been great to ease my manic episode. My hearing voices and racing thoughts have eased and the only side effect other than the slight zombie feeling and drowsiness at night was I am feeling more thirsty more often. And my hunger has actually decreased not increased as others have had."

dmmw1983 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "In the beginning I really needed it at 5mg I was all over the place with mood and psychosis. After being on it for 7 years at different doses I've come to the point were I feel only the side effects and numb emotions. I want to feel again so I've been slowly withdrawaling I'm down to 7.5mg, if you decide to come off it do it slow and give your mind and body time to adjust before going down again."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I just got prescribed this medication. 10mg to start. I'm taking it for my extremely high anxiety and bi polar depression. I have read a lot of review's, so I will definitely stay away from CARBS!! Hoping this will give me my life back! I'll return in 5 days and give a review on how I'm feeling. Wish me luck! 8/18/17 New update on taking the Zyprexa. Today is day 8 on the the Zyprexa and I have to say, I honestly feel like my old self again. I'm happy, my mood is stable I'm sleeping great! I'm more active now than I've ever been since my 20's. So far I can honestly say this medication is working great for me. I'm actually excited about life again! Also, no weight gain so far and no increased cravings of food."

KayBling August 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed med to treat Bipolar 2. Even taking half a dose, meds made me drowsy, actually more like sedated, as some call it "zombie feel". On the third day, I noticed short term memory loss and I couldn't articulate my thoughts efficiently, had this cloudy, foggy mind. I was hoping meds my body would adjust but even after couple of weeks, I seemed the side affects got more severe. Plus I gained 5lbs in a week and noticed my energy level was down, HR up. I'm an Ironman triathlete so I copiously monitor my health and this drug decreases my performance. Finally, I had to call my Dr to get another option. It did calm me down and I didn't have any mania or depression, just the side effects were to great for me to continue."

Exos (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was put on Zyprexa after my dad got murdered. It worked ok for that medicated Zombie feel. I took up to 20mg day. Gained so much weight that I wore a waist size 40 pants. Had to stop after 6 years. Doc told me to taper off it in 2 weeks! NO BUENO!!! Should have tapered off in a year+. Been in bed for 8+months with horrific post withdrawal symptoms. Never had heart problems before Zyprexa! Now I have afib and sinus tachycardia, and TD, involuntary muscle spasms are so painful! People notice when I stick my tongue out, biting it hours a day, sexy. Its killing me slowly as Eli Lilly makes $12Mil a day killing! I use Melatonin for sleep, is Z even approved for sleep? RESEARCH LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT, CUZ IT DOES!!"

Bonn Bonn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I've had mostly positive experience with the exception of a lot of weight gain. Definitely stopped the depression/manic cycles. Does make me sleepy but my doctor prescribed provigil which really helped. I give this med a positive grade especially for bipolar with psychotic episodes."

Cabinetman June 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was on this for maybe 6 months 2 years ago. I went from 121 to 184 in less then 3 months. I was eating constantly even after I had dinner I would be hungry 15 minutes later. If your doctor wants you to take this DON'T. It's easy for the weight to come but harder to make the weight go away."

Cinn Marie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "No nothing good, just constant fatigue and weight gain. It makes me sleepy as hell and makes me even more of a zombie."

automatonnn May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Avoid at all costs - Weight gain is insane. Hungry all of the time, can't stop eating even when full, and that awful feeling afterwards. BE AWARE - coming off of this is hell, too. Be very careful, and come off of this very slowly."

Matty723 May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "OK I've been on zyprexa going on 7 months at 20mg a day and it's the best thing I've done to get help with bipolar disorder. The only down fall is the weight gain but for me to stay sane and be happy it's worth it. Since being on zyprexa I've been able to socialize again with other people and do not stay in my bedroom all day and night. Thank God for helping me "

Ckelly8158 May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I gained 10 lbs in under 1 week, which sets a speed record among the weight-gain meds I've taken. Since that pushed me up to the pre-diabetic border, my psychiatrist pulled me off of it ASAP - not to mention that when you're severely depressed, how is super chunking up supposed to make you feel better no matter how well the med works? 1 month & I would have been up 40 lbs! I felt no other side effects, nor any positive effects, but 1 week probably wasn't long enough for it to make a difference on my mood - only my rear end."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was diagnosed with psychotic depression for 7 months and my psychiatrist put me on zyprexa 5mg. After using antidepressants I got into mania. This medicine is a miracle. I was relieved in one week. I am still taking it but I became a bit hesitant to continue due to some horrible reviews. Tried Invega And had suicidal thoughts. This medicine is great for mood with combination with lamictal."

MT2233 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Zyprexa for a few years now and it definitely helping me. I now take Celexa, Wellbutirn, Zyprexa and Xanax. I feel back to my old self again. Very pleased!!"

Destry (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Although the drug works while you are on it you don't really want to take it long term. It causes serious weight gain and leaves you with insomnia if you try to stop it."

AWilliams13 March 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went through a horrific bout of anxiety right around the holidays. It was so bad that I would wake up with my whole body shaking afraid to start the day. I still think that set-back was caused by my doctor trying to switch me to Zoloft from Effexor. At any rate, after many calls and visits, my doctor finally switched me back to Effexor and gave me Zyprexa. He was pretty clear that this would not be a maintenance medicine, since it causes weight gain and other side effects. Well, it did it's job well. Definitely calmed my nerves and made me feel somewhat human again. I also take Klonopin which also helps, but is not as effective. Looking forward someday to being off all this medicine, but desperate times, call for desperate measures."

Maxiemar (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed Olanzapine from the hospital after a manic episode and it helped me recover quickly... 5mg morning/night. I asked my primary doc' to prescribe it to me because it seemed to be helping my symptoms. After 1-2 months I started feeling depressed, brain fog, no passion, and it was hard for me to wake up. GAINED 10-15lbs which is my current nightmare!!! I am binge eating... Low energy, low moods, and no concentration. All my hard work of keeping my diet and fitness goals down the drain. Good if you are looking for a quick fix but not long term. BEWARE."

VickyPhuong2 February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "It's a great medicine no side effects so far keeping my mood under control along with carbamazepine ER."

austins dad January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "First year on 5mg at night helped my mood, anger outbursts and anxiety a great deal. Did develop high cholesterol and gained 15 pounds, but the trade off was worth it. Also helps wonderfully with insomnia. After the year mark it was no longer handling my anger well. Started having 2-3 inappropriate outbursts a week. Pdoc started me on geodon but couldn't handle the side effects, so back to the zyprexa I went with another 2.5mg added in the morning and gained another 6 pounds. Have tried other AAPs but can't handle the side effects so I'm still on the zyprexa for now until I get brave enough to try something else again. Taking with Pristiq, Trileptal, Vistiril and Xanax."

BBP007 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I started this because I need to get my mood stable and it doesn't work for me all. I'm 113 lbs and haven't noticed any weight gain, I am really sleepy and thirsty during the night but it helps with my mood."

Jamaican empress (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on Olanzapine in July for depression and bi-polar disorder. As a matter a fact when I came to this country I never heard of bi-polar until about 20-25 year ago. today it seems that everyone you speak to has the disorder. Why is that? I do think that many people need to be on helpful medicine but not Olanzapine which has plethora of side effect even reported deaths. My theory is this I think many people have been convinced by psychiatrists that they have depression and suffer from bi-polar disorder. In the late 1980's and early 1990' there were cases in courts for doctors taking kick backs for prescribing this very expensive drug . Could this still be happening today."

George Ganko (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2016