User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Sort of felt like it worked at first, may have been placebo. Increased appetite. Stopped in less than 2 weeks."

bpd789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

"Huge weight gain and agitation"

Taylormade May 14, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "After luckily failed suicide attempt I got prescribed Olanzapine. Only 5mg does a significant relief for me. Had been suffering of depression and hypomanic episodes but after taking only 5mg of Olanzapine I feel completely different - no more mood swings at all. I feel like a normal person. This medication saved and even improved the quality of the life I'm living at the moment. Beside Olanzapine I got prescribed antidepressant Escitaloprame which also works great in treating Bipolar disorder."

BipolarFree (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Out of the 4 anti psychotics I tried this one worked wonders for me. I was diagnosed back in 2011 for a psychotic episode and developed bi polar psychosis. Took 5mgs for years and I was feeling great. The only thing is that I would have some tactile hallucinations but wouldn’t hear any voices. I would just feel like a crazy maniac that wouldn’t sleep for days before going on zyprexa. Anyways I went off of it and then a year later I am here taking it again because I just can’t stand my anxiety and delusions and mood swings. I mix it with seroquel sometimes. Anyways this drug works wonders. I don’t get an increased appetite. The only problem is that when I wake up I don’t feel like eating anything so I end up eating at 2pm. The side effects for me are decreased appetite and some fatigue but other than that, I can finally enjoy life again. Remember that it takes a few weeks for it to take full effects and side effects do become more tolerable through time."

Dimitri May 5, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication would receive a negative review if possible. The primary reason I hate this medication is because the weight gain, diabetes and withdrawal symptoms. You see I started taking this thinking "well...if I gain to much weight I can always stop." Think again. I literally wouldn't sleep for days."

William (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "My stomach is spilling over Instead of my mind for once. My head is no longer a circus, A tent of sad clowns and unruly animals. Uni-cycling on a tightrope Between intelligence and insanity Has never been so balanced."

vernacularacrobat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Weight gain unbelievable. Killed thyroid, now on synthroid. Bed wetting and very hard to wake up in morning. Withdrawal horrible. Don't take this."

Sarah's grandma (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "My psychiatrist put me on 10 mg of Zyprexa and 20 mg of Prozac. He said those two meds are supposed to work well together. After two months I was still feeling depressed so he increased the Zyprexa to 15 mg. This has been a miracle drug for me. I fall asleep within 30 min of taking it and sleep very well except it is difficult to wake up in the morning. I set three alarms around my bedroom. One I have to physically get out of bed to turn off so it helps me get up. But that side effect is getting better after two months of taking Zyprexa. I no longer have ruminating thoughts or bouts of rage. My mood is very even. I have had some weight gain due to the med making me feel hungry all the time. Now I'm trying to drink water instead of eating and that seems to help."

Beth (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have a love hate relationship with Zyprexa. I was initially put on it when I had a breakdown, it was the worst I ever felt mentally in my life. Before going on it I hadn’t slept soundly for 10 years. Taking Zyprexa was a last resort drug, and it worked great for getting me through that tough time. When I started to take it, I could finally get a good nights sleep, I can’t even explain how good that felt after going so long with out it. I also feel like it saved my marriage. Now the downsides: I gained about 40 lbs since I’ve started taking it 12 years ago. It makes me feel hungry constantly and crave sweets. Another thing is I am so unmotivated, it’s so frustrating! Anytime I try to reduce it I find I get irritable and not able to sleep, so then I go back up again. I definitely think this drug is not good for everyone, I would only recommend it as a last resort."

Anonymous March 26, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I've been taking Zyprexa since 2002. At first I was on 10 mg, and I've been on 20 mg for the last 15 years. It worked great at first, but now it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I take it because I have bipolar 2 disorder. I need it to calm down my mind when I go to sleep. I want to know if there is anything else I can take, or does Zyprexa come in a stronger dose than 20 mg ?"

Patrick (taken for 10 years or more) March 3, 2018

"Hi, I'm bipolar type 1. I took Olanzapine for 2 years. When I'm in mania, Olanzapine is perfect, otherwise it would be impossible for me to sleep. However, once out of my mania and depressive phase, I was still unable to feel good. Here are my symptoms and habits: - Lost pleasure in eating, playing, working - Lost the taste of being in touch with people - Great irritability - Unable to get up in the morning - Afternoon siesta - Unfortunate - Bad mood like depression I went to Desyrel 100 mg and 3 days later, I found my life back!"

yflageole (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Been on 20mg a day for a couple years. Been off of everything for about eight months. When I was taking it, I had zero issues with weight gain. Another huge benefit was that it reliably put me to sleep. Take my 20mg football in the evening and it’s lights out within two hours. But getting up in the morning was tough. Plus it did slow me down mentally. I didn’t think it did, but I had a few old friends point out that I’m way slower than I used to be. Like most psych meds, it can work wonders for one patient and do more harm than good for another. Due to life’s circumstances, I had to quit cold turkey. Bad idea. Sleepless nights and all that... Thankfully, my condition is on a very mild end of the spectrum. You absolutely have to work with your doctor to find out what works best for YOU! All the best!"

HonkingAntelope (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 13, 2018

"Very good medication either in low doses or higher doses, works really fast , took 20 mg at some point but now I take 2 mg .. better than seroquel and other anti phychotics , yes I tried them all...just watch you eat and u will be good to go ."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2018

"After having 2 bad manic episodes that landed me in the hospital for 6 days, I was diagnosed as bipolar. I started Zyprexa after being up for 3 days without sleep. I have a good sleep schedule but am still drowsy in the day and have bloodshot eyes. I gained 15 pounds having always been underweight. I also get depressed later in the day every day so I am hoping to try something else."

Bloodshot Eyes (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "What an awful medication! I took olanzapine for a 6 months and I’ll give it credit that it completely got rid of mania, racing thoughts and impulsivity. However I became severely depressed and I was also a walking zombie. I could stare at the wall or ceiling for hours and be okay with that. I also gained 50 pounds in 6 months. Finally got off olanzapine last winter and taking Seroquel XR- also 40 pounds of the weight that I gained on Zyorexa. Stay away from this med- There are SO many other options!!"

VC8 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2017

"So here is the straight up deal- zyprexa sucks - it does. It makes you starving but never feel full, you feel tired and foggy, and generally out of it. However if you're going through psychosis it will stop it FAST. Bottom line: don't take it if you don't have to, if you do have to take it as little as possible. Zyprexa saved my life but the side effects are horrible"

cece697 November 29, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Love this medication, but I gained 40 pounds in about 4 months! Stayed on it for years and made me feel normal. I, initially, got on it when it was first released and there were no other atypical antipsychotics on the market. When Seroquel was released, then my psychiatrist switched me to it because it showed weight gain, but not as much. He was correct."

WillnBryant (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

"I initially started on 5 mg and after 2 weeks my doctor put me on 10 mg. I feel fantastic. My mind doesn't race anymore and I'm finally sleeping all night long. Short lived groggy feeling in morning, I make myself get up and move, that seems to work the best. The suicidal thoughts are gone and I just feel really good. No weight gain yet but I do exercise 3-4 times a week. Only noticeable side affect is i seem to be thirstier and dry mouth. For my Zyprexa has been amazing!"

Jenduke1970 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

"I had been medication free for over 10 years when a series of traumatic events escalated in full blown psychosis and deep depression. I was suicidal, unable to sleep and experiencing 6 hour long panic attacks. I was put on olanzapine 5mg at night and have been taking it for just over 1 year. I was able to sleep through and the nightmarish world I inhabited slowly began to clear like a thick fog. At the time I thought there was no way I would make it out alive! The deep depression took longer to lift and after no luck combining it with proxac or citalopram I hit on the right combination with Effexor 225mg. Still, the Olanzapine was my 'daylight' drug. Weight gain has been an issue but my appetite is more manageable now and am exercising."

BPGirl40 September 20, 2017

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "They would give it to me every day for mania and I then I developed an allergy to it and it gives you very bad mood swings"

Eggio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2017

"I take 5mg of olanzapine at night with 250mg of lamictal, the olanzapine has been great to ease my manic episode. My hearing voices and racing thoughts have eased and the only side effect other than the slight zombie feeling and drowsiness at night was I am feeling more thirsty more often. And my hunger has actually decreased not increased as others have had."

dmmw1983 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "In the beginning I really needed it at 5mg I was all over the place with mood and psychosis. After being on it for 7 years at different doses I've come to the point were I feel only the side effects and numb emotions. I want to feel again so I've been slowly withdrawaling I'm down to 7.5mg, if you decide to come off it do it slow and give your mind and body time to adjust before going down again."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I just got prescribed this medication. 10mg to start. I'm taking it for my extremely high anxiety and bi polar depression. I have read a lot of review's, so I will definitely stay away from CARBS!! Hoping this will give me my life back! I'll return in 5 days and give a review on how I'm feeling. Wish me luck! 8/18/17 New update on taking the Zyprexa. Today is day 8 on the the Zyprexa and I have to say, I honestly feel like my old self again. I'm happy, my mood is stable I'm sleeping great! I'm more active now than I've ever been since my 20's. So far I can honestly say this medication is working great for me. I'm actually excited about life again! Also, no weight gain so far and no increased cravings of food."

KayBling August 18, 2017

"Was prescribed med to treat Bipolar 2. Even taking half a dose, meds made me drowsy, actually more like sedated, as some call it "zombie feel". On the third day, I noticed short term memory loss and I couldn't articulate my thoughts efficiently, had this cloudy, foggy mind. I was hoping meds my body would adjust but even after couple of weeks, I seemed the side affects got more severe. Plus I gained 5lbs in a week and noticed my energy level was down, HR up. I'm an Ironman triathlete so I copiously monitor my health and this drug decreases my performance. Finally, I had to call my Dr to get another option. It did calm me down and I didn't have any mania or depression, just the side effects were to great for me to continue."

Exos (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was put on Zyprexa after my dad got murdered. It worked ok for that medicated Zombie feel. I took up to 20mg day. Gained so much weight that I wore a waist size 40 pants. Had to stop after 6 years. Doc told me to taper off it in 2 weeks! NO BUENO!!! Should have tapered off in a year+. Been in bed for 8+months with horrific post withdrawal symptoms. Never had heart problems before Zyprexa! Now I have afib and sinus tachycardia, and TD, involuntary muscle spasms are so painful! People notice when I stick my tongue out, biting it hours a day, sexy. Its killing me slowly as Eli Lilly makes $12Mil a day killing! I use Melatonin for sleep, is Z even approved for sleep? RESEARCH LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT, CUZ IT DOES!!"

Bonn Bonn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 9, 2017