User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv

Olanzapine has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 227 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 54% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine

mags · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 23, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “This drug Zyprexa has SAVED my life. I take 5mg every night and it keeps me so stable throughout the day! I'm eating again, feeling real happiness, and my head is clearer! It makes me really hungry which is perfect because I need to gain weight. It makes me sleep so deep its amazing. 11/10 love zyprexa. I can't complain.”

j. Daniels · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zypresa made my husband a crazy man. He had minor Bipolar. His Pychiatrist prescribed an extremely expensive drug, Zyprexa, then insisted he remain on it for 6 months then left the country. My husband ran track in our house, wore his ski parka even tho 85 degrees, took several family members to help calm him, on and on. He was uncontrollably crazed, When he developed smacking lips about 4 months in, usually permanent, we stopped Zyprexa triggering DT's. His Primary care doc stepped in and tried various meds adding up to 4 that completely incapacitated him. More crazy man, upchucking, couldn't get out of bed when beloved company visited. We traveled to Portland, Or., finding a good Psychiatrist who understood meds, put him on 4 other meds to calm him, then began slowly toggling him off the mess. It took nearly 2 years to detox him. Worse yet, he was never the same again. If you value your health, and the health of those who love you, then grab your hat and RUN FROM ZYPREXA!”

Mark · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 24, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “It can take your life. You will need to take this for the rest of your life, or your head will be hay wire and thoughts will never stop, it will make you schizophrenic. RUN. I had mild bipolar and my greedy psychiatrist gave me the worst mental illness in a bottle. If you take it don't stop, just taper off and see if you can stop permanently, Most likely you won't be able to.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa was a life saver for me. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, anxiety, and OCD last year. Took Abilify and became irritated easily, lamictal and kept forgetting things, then I started 30 mg of Prozac and 2.5 mg of Zyprexa combo. It instantly got me out of depression/ mood swings and helped me get back to school & focus a little bit more. I will say that I feel a little dull/ do not want to talk much & gained 25 pounds in one month being on it. No matter how much I workout, I do not lose the weight. I honestly love the pros of this drug, I can smile and laugh again. But I do not want it to effect my confidence and self esteem because I am gaining so much weight. I am now weaning off zyprexa and trying latuda. My advice to anyone trying Zyprexa- give this a try and expect the weight gain to occur, it will help reduce negative thoughts, excessive worrying & mood swings. Have faith, and try it, I really believe Zyprexa will help get someone out of their worst days.”

Anonymous December 5, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I have bipolar II and have tried multiple medications. Sadly, I have had to get off this medication because it caused me to gain 20 lbs within a few short months, and also made my thinking slow down. However, this without a doubt was one of the best medications I have tried. I was able to finally get some rest and didn't constantly wake up throughout the night. My depressive thoughts decreased, though they were still there sometimes, they were manageable. I was able to go days without feeling completely poorly. My racing thoughts decreased, and I felt like I could think without having racing thoughts, or having 100 ideas going on in my head at once. My irritation levels almost ceased to exist. I was pleasantly surprised to see after trying several medications, that this is one of the only medications that has worked on me. If you can get around the weight gain, this is definitely a medication that is a must-try. Maybe I will try this medication again in the future if all else fails.”

loblolly · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 22, 2021

“Believe me, I tried to be med free for years. I tried tapering off meds to see if I would be ok. Every time, my mental illness would come back with full force. If you need this medication, you need it. Those with bad experiences may have not had the mental illness that requires you to take it. I have bipolar disorder and it has saved my life and prevented hospitalization. Try it with your doctor at a low dose if you are bipolar, or have psychotic features. If you are just depressed or have another issue like OCD, it is likely not the correct medication for you. Work with your doctor to find what works for you. The only side effect I experience is some weight gain, but I've accepted that the weight gain was also due to eating habits and lack of exercise.”

Holly · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 19, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I have had great luck with this drug. I feel happy and hopeful again. I used to have serious breakdowns every two years but I have a strong feeling Zyprexa is going to reduce or even put a stop to those occurrences. I am able to enjoy activities and feel pleasure and contentment. I feel as close to non-bipolar as I think I ever will. I just hope this drug has longevity and can be used for decades like my prescriber said it could.”

ms pimpin thang · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 27, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I have literally been on every medication you can think of. Prozac, Zoloft, Geodon, Haldol, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Xanax, clonazepam and the list doesn't stop but Zyprexa did it! None of them seemed to help until I tried Zyprexa! I do not have to take anxiety medicines anymore because somehow Zyprexa took care of that also and my anxiety used to be so bad.”

Lucy · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 31, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “My boyfriend suffers from manic bi polar disorder. He was off meds for 2 years and recently became manic again. We go to the Drs and this is what she prescribed him at a dose of 3mg. It worked as to stopping his manic episodes. BUT he legit is a Zombie now. He sleeps all the time. Is always tired. Emotionless. Unsure of himself. Doesn’t talk. Doesn’t eat. Doesn’t laugh. He basically is nothing. It’s really sad to watch, and I’m actually hoping his Dr will change his meds this week because this is NO way to live.”

Mel S February 2, 2011

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I have been on Zyprexa 10mg/day for about 10 years. When I first started taking it in place of Risperdal I felt out of sorts for a few weeks. My doctor said that I was adjusting to it and that I needed to wait it out. So I waited and I did adjust. I gained weight on the medicine, which I have since lost. My psychiatrist orders blood work once a year to check my cholesterol and he says that everything is fine. I don't like that I need a lot of rest but that is preferable over manic insomnia. I thought that if I stopped taking it then I could lose more weight but I know that I need to manage my illness. I'd rather be plump and pleasant than skinny and crazy. I just have to diet and exercise. The world accepts plump better than it accepts crazy.”

SWS · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 16, 2020

“I remember the day after my first pill: so fatigued and nauseous that I left dance early. My appetite increased and I gained 10 pounds in two weeks. But my psychosis and mania were GONE immediately. I went off the med 7 months later because my parents thought it was making me ditzy, but things got really bad, so I started taking it again. I gained more weight, but I was sleeping again and I felt so much better. Two years later and I’m back to the weight I was before, normal appetite, not ditzy, sleeping through the night, no psychosis, no mania. I’d say the munchies went away in 4 months, but idk it’s been a while. I think the only side effect I have now is drowsiness, but I take it at night, so it doesn’t matter. Zyprexa is a crucial drug for my wellbeing. It works right away.”

joru819 February 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it.”

Itel · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 16, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Stay away from Zyprexa. I had a massive weight gain, diabetes cholestrol problems, significantly makes your brain dull unable to think properly , have no emotions, anxiety. Sleep a lot. I think it destroys your brain chemistry. Unable to taper off as the withdrawals extreme.”

Phoenixaz12 June 23, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was put on this drug because the doctor thought I was bipolar. Three years later, two psychiatrists have told me I need to get off of the Zyprexa ASAP. I was first put on 15 MG which made me tired when I woke up. All day, I felt drugged out and I gained 40 pounds. I am now only taking 10 MG and am lowering my dosage to 5 MG to finally get off of this drug for good. The withdrawal symptoms I have noticed from getting off Zyprexa are increased anxiety and difficulty sleeping. The best way to get off of Zyprexa with minimal problems is to taper slowly. I would rather deal with the withdrawal symptoms than being drugged out to the point I can’t function. I also take this with another antidepressant and am convinced I had symptoms similar to serotonin syndrome. Please use caution and only use this drug as a last resort option. It has a black box label for a reason. The long-term risks of staying on this drug include psychosis and medication-induced Parkinson’s disease.”

Bi polar manic depressive · Taken for 10 years or more November 2, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was diagnosed with bipolar manic depressive , acute anxiety, depression, ocd , borderline personality, and post traumatic stress syndrome, when I was 21... postpartum depression triggered something, I was constantly agitated and angry, and sad, .I would wake up angry, and cry allll day...my Dr prescribed me 20 mg zyprexa and I swear to you I was terrified, that it would take 4 to 6 weeks to really work (I didn't have 4 to 6 weeks to wait , I felt...) I was nearly over the edge completely, constantly thinking suicide, I took my first dose of zyprexa and the very next morning I woke up wonderful!!! I still get upset , but not like before, this medicine was truly a miracle for me”

Puddles64 April 12, 2008

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa changed my life. Before the medication I was suicidal, I had a very difficult time with everyday life. I was tearing my family apart. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in December 2002. My life has been much more stable, my relationships with family members has improved dramatically. ”

JAM87 October 21, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Had a break down at age 15 and eventually got on Zyprexa. Like everybody else said I gained about 30-40 pounds, could be very sleepy sometimes, but it completely stopped the voices I was hearing for the past 8 months. It gave me my life back. Just kinda woke up feeling normal after being on the medicine for a few days. It was amazing. Was on 10mg at the highest and worked all the way down to 2.5mg over the next year. Had a prayer service at my church (Doctor was ok with us taking a trial run off medicines since I had been doing well on a low dose for the past few months) and now have been off meds and completely fine for over 10 years now. Very thankful. ”

Poppy · Taken for 10 years or more May 22, 2020

“I’ve been on olanzapine 2.5 mg for 8 years and it has been a fantastic medication for me. I suffer from anxiety and severe insomnia, and Olanzapine has worked perfectly well. My anxiety is non existent now, and best of all I am sleeping really well. I haven’t gained much weight (only 5 kg) . I tried to come off it a few times and I found it very difficult, mostly because the insomnia was so bad, and the anxiety came back with a vengeance. So for now I’m happy on a small dose. I might take it for the rest of my life if I can stay well with this medication.”

20 year veteran September 10, 2008

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was diagnosed in 1989. I was an 18 year boy at the time. After several years of miss diagnosis I was diagnosed in the mid 90's with bipolar disorder. I've been on a lot of different medications, most I don't remember very well but in 2003 I was hospitalized for one month and put on Zyprexa. I got my life back I am now married, own my own home and have my own business. I am now were I want to be. The down side is I went from 180lbs to 240 lbs in 5 years. I am now border line diabetic, and my cholesterol level very high. I am now not on Zyprexa. The medicine did the job it is supposed to but my doctor and I are looking for a medication similar to Zyprexa with out the weight gain.”

LocaWhetta March 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was diagnosed as bipolar in 1987.I've always been treatment resistant. Nothing and I mean no meds have ever helped me before.I've tried everything over the years only to have bad side effects and no relief. ECT was actually being recommended to me then my Dr put me on a Zyprexa/ Prozac combination and for the first time in my life I've gotten relief from my symptoms and no side effects. I can finally think clearly. I feel like a totally new person a much better one.”

Li · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2019

“I'm 19 and I'm on 10 mg olanzapine for bipolar disorder and psychosis. First few days on this drug felt like I had fog in my brain but I felt amazing later on. I'm able to function normally and sleep well ( I've suffered with insomnia for as long as I can remember). I also feel motivated. I'm scoring well on my tests. My psychosis is completely gone. I still feel cranky but that might go away when I increase my dose. Lastly, I haven't put on weight.. it's been 2 months now.”

Anonymous February 26, 2011

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I am 27 and have been dealing with manic depression for most of my life.I take Lamictal 250mg, and Wellbutrin 300mg. I was very recently put on Zyprexa for the first time after a suicide attempt and hospitalization. I was VERY reluctant to try it because I've read all the side effects. I tried it (2.5mg). I have to admit it changed my life after ONE (low) dose! It was like I went to bed hanging on by a thread and woke up with all my strings attached. I saw quick results. No waiting for a month to see if it will work. Since I have only been taking this medicine for a week, I haven't had any side effects yet. So far, it has really, really been a miracle. Mood stability has always been a really huge issue for me and this has taken care of it.”

bipolar12345 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 8, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa is the only antipsychotic that doesn’t make me feel like a zombie! I kept my personality and my energy. It almost feels like I don’t take an antipsychotic. I take 7.5 mg, because my psychiatrist told me that when you take less then 10 mg daily, the risk of metabolic syndrome is low. It’s very good for treating mania and it augments the effect of my antidepressant. The only downside is that it’s a little bit difficult to wake up.”

momo · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 17, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa makes you gain weight so fast. I used to be anorexic and watched out with what I ate so I stayed in shape. But this medicine makes you crave sugar and makes you feel hungry 24/7, also you are really really tired. It only helps with psychotic behavior if your dose is pretty high so you can't feel anything and because you want to sleep all day. ”

Kasey1994 August 13, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I am a 19 yo girl and I have bipolar disorder 2 and suffer anxiety and depression, so my doctor prescribed 10mg Zyprexa daily. I had HORRIBLE side effects. In four months I gained 20kg, developed cystic acne and my thinking was slow and foggy. Any self confidence I had or pride in my appearance evaporated completely. The worst part is I still had the anxiety and the depression (although I didn't expect an antipsychotic to help with depression). I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore. Zyprexa was definitely not for me.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder