User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Worked well for three months and then developed severe side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

"I have Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety. I take bupropion daily and Xanax (0.5-1 mg as needed) usually twice a day. I started 3 days ago on 5mg olanzapine (@bedtime) . Wow. Noticed much more stable mood on day 1. Today is day 3 and again, very stable mood and sleeping through the night since starting and am VERY happy with these results so far. I have not had a need for xanax since starting. The only side effect I am experiencing so far is fatigue in the morning hours - no change in appetite or other effects mentioned by others in this column. I will post again in a few months to update my results. "

Naterspud July 20, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was on Zyprexa for a week 10mgs originally prescribed for sleep and coming off of Geodon. Gordon caused anxiety eventually. Zyprexa calmed me down but it was still hard to fall asleep without Ambien. I feel tired slow and hungry all the time the next day. But it did calm my nerves the next day so it may be worth it to give it a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication has been very useful in reducing negative thinking. Most people take it at night. I find it more useful when I take it first thing in the morning. It works better if you avoid smoking. I've tried all different antipsychotics, Zyprexa is the only one that seems to work for me."

fyodor July 17, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa was effective at sedating me which prevented the psychotic aspects of my manic episodes from happening very quickly. Since I only had 2 manic episodes in the span of a year, I probably should've stopped taking Zyprexa around 6 months later. Unfortunately I took it for 5 more years which was a MASSIVE mistake. It caused me to be very drowsy and lethargic. Because I started taking it at age 19, I didn't realize the Zyprexa was the culprit until I stopped taking it. I thought I was just a sleepy person. It had a profoundly negative impact on my life because I took it way longer than I should have."

Johnnyjohnjohn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 19, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine saved my life."

kaube000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

"I was 150 pounds and I went up to 182 pounds within two months of using olanzapine. You are hungry all of the time on this medication and never feel satisfied. The first two weeks of medication use I felt very tired. I am still tired, but it's not as bad as it was. I started on 15 mg. I dropped down to 10 mg. The unpleasant side effects described continued. I am in the process of getting off this medication."

R C J May 21, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was admitted to the hospital for severe hydration due to vomitting from being sick for a wk and prior to that completely lost my appetite do to a gluon intolerance I had become frustrated with food and I couldn't sleep was angry all the time, I was put on Apo-olanzapine aka Zyprexa and set up with a psychiatrist as an out patient...here's the thing I was prescribed this med by the psychiatrist for weight gain, but it also boost my mood swell , I feel like I'm a level playing field and the game is fair again. Definitely helps with depression, as I don't feel all is consuming me anymore and I eat everything in sight, I put 5 pounds on in 1 wk!!! So beware of that, its strange because you CRAVE food, all you do is think about food...lol"

quicksand (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Feel much better since I started Zyprexa!! Wished I had started it years ago! Zyprexa works quickly to calm a person down. Very progressive type of medication."

Magenta Clay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on zyprexa for 5 days so far. I have been taking 2.5mg and I think I need to up the dose now to 5mg as it feels like it is wearing off. this medication is doing wonders for me, it is great! I can finally have 8 hours of un-disturbed sleep. Prior to commencing this medication, I was suffering from severe symptoms of mania such as insomnia, loss of appetite, high energy levels, psychotic symptoms (hearing voices, derealisation, making weird connections & magical experiences), making new plans, reckless spending & driving, new ideas, taking on too many tasks, agitation. the medication has calmed all of these symptoms. zyprexa is a god send for me. only side effect I have is low blood pressure from it."

Nataaaaalieee (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Stops dead on track those manic/depressive crisis moments. And I love the hunger it gives me. Great pill for me. My AP of choice. Always take this with .5 or 1 mg of clonazepam. ;-)"

corvohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication has made me extremely tired! I feel like I've lost all of my motivation. I am a teacher and a coach and find it extremely hard to get myself "up" to do these things. I am very tired in the morning and its not until late at night that I start to feel like myself again. Only in time to take the medication again and start the process over. It has taken away some anxiety symptoms and helped me sleep (a bit too much) but I feel down a lot because I feel like I lost my passion. I am slowly coming off of it and look forward to getting back to feeling like myself again. I empathize with people on this medication."

Jbazz123 February 12, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine sucked! I was asleep all the time, all day long! Couldn't function in school, couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and was eating every food that I saw in front of me. If I could give 0 stars to this medication I would."

laluluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it."

joru819 February 4, 2016

"Very effective but beware of cardiac side effects, I ended up in hospital with severe long QT interval so get an ECG when you start this drug, the withdrawals are also horrific"

Jonnyb1490 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"This is not a good medicine for me. I'm glad it helps other people, but it makes my body feel like I weigh a thousand pounds, and I can barely move after I wake up the next day after taking it. It makes sleep for more than 14 hours, and it takes another 4 hours to just be able to stand after I wake up. Not a good med for me, I hope others have better experiences."

Fred11123 January 21, 2016

"My mother has been taking olanzapine 5mg once a day for a month. This medicine is really a great help for her. She has enough sleep every night but sometimes when her manic stage overpower her she does crazy things again. She never listens to us, she says "you're are just my daughter!!!! leave me alone!!!" So me and younger my siblings planned some dramatic scenes. I immitate actions words and portray that I am also like her, its an effective strategy..medication plus dramatic counseling"

adwa (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "My mother has a bipolar disorder..I just admitted it last month. She suffers from manic depression for a year then after a year depression occurred..most of the time she does embarrassing things "

eya (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

"Took 30 mg nightly. Most effective atypical I've tried. Cured psychosis after 2 months, significantly helped mood swings (from rapid-cycling BP 1), somewhat beneficial for severe insomnia. Intolerable side effects, so was forced to stop Zyprexa. The drug caused paralysis in my legs, partial blindness, daily seizures, severe mental impairment (couldn't remember ATM PIN for 3 weeks!), gained 40 lbs despite strict diet. Off of the drug, lost weight, mental impairment improved, but significant neuromuscular damage. If your body can tolerate it, a fantastic drug. But be warned...Zyprexa can cause permanent damage to your body and mind."

Brian L. December 26, 2015

"Taken during times of acute mania on numerous occasions and less frequently during the depression. Effective but difficult to focus given my type of work resulting in further time lost at the office. Treats the mania and psychosis fairly well but required in hefty doses to have any proper effect which, if course, further exasperates the work situation. I'm neither for or against. It's merely a good stop gap during times of need. Oh, and the weight gain is beyond disgusting. It's the major reason that I refuse to take it regularly."

greenfrog December 8, 2015

"works wonderfully with prozac for bipolar disorder"

Anonymous November 16, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been taking zyprexa 5 grams...a day..and I don't get any affects from pill? It keeps me mellow but not tired like everyone says? Kinda helps with mood swings..but not really! At least not for me?"

meegy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I take gabapentin, and when I started it, I felt like I had finally found the miracle..but after a year it quit working. After this recent stay in the psych unit, My Doctor put me on Zyprexa 5mgs in the am, 10 mgs at night and it has been a Godsend..I feel so even, I sleep soundly, and wake up without no hangover, ready to take on the world. I have been eating like a pig, but I"m working on controlling that, and eating fruit and yogurt vs. cinnamon rolls and candy...The only drawback is I fear one day it will stop working. Overall, gabapentin and Zyprexa have been lifesavers!"

Zee-Zee November 10, 2015

"My 20 year old son was put on this medication 17 days ago snd is in a facility. Side effects: severe headache, severe muscle and joint pain, urinary incontinence (dribbling), feelings of extreme sadness and emptiness, feeling that death is emminent, extremely dry skin, photo sensitive rash that was very painful on his face which spread to his hands when the dose was raised from 7.5 mg to 15 mg daily in divided doses, severe constipation, loss of libido, loss of memory, sudden anger, orthostatic hypotension, racing / pounding heart beat, chills continuously, and on the 8th day had grand mal seizure. Seroquel was much less toxic. 18 days now..."

Lil guy November 8, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I've been talking zyprexa for about for about 2 weeks now. Family says they can tell a big difference. Mornings are a little hard to get motivated, but I also take Ritalin for add. So that helps me get going. Falling asleep easily and staying asleep. No more racing thoughts or depression. My anxiety is more under control. It does give me craving for food, but I have controlled it so far. I take 5 mg daily.so far so good."

sc hopefully November 8, 2015