User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I took 3mgs of Zyprexa, contained in Symbyax, nightly for about 6 years. The medicine worked well for the first 2 to 3 years. Around year four I started having severe side effects and did not realize it was from the Zyprexa as it had been working so well. I suffered with increasing seizures for about three more years. Bad ones. I wound up in the hospital emergency room and it was the ER doctor that informed me that the Zyprexa was causing the problem. My regular doctor denied Zyprexa as a contributing factor to my seizures. I quit the Zyprexa cold turkey. To say the least it was an absolutely horrible experience. Wean off this drug over a long period of time and even then get ready for horrendous withdrawal symptoms after your last dose."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

"I've been on zyprexa for about 3 months. While it does tame hypomania it tames too much and I don't want to do anything anymore. Sometimes my mouth works like I have Novocaine in my lips and my speech comes out in a mumble. I've gained 10 lbs. Some have said it was prescribed for anxiety but it has made mine worse. I'm afraid of having to do the things that I have to do. I'm not afraid of doing them, mind you, but afraid of *having* to do them. I feel so much pressure about doing things that I'm unable to do them. That's messed up. And that has come on me this past two weeks. Maybe I'm cycling or maybe it's this drug. Still, enough negative to get me off of it."

ashybashy November 21, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I love Zyprexa (Olanzapine) it has calmed and removed my insanity. I now longer have panic attacks and irritability. I work in retail and i have been in trouble several times with my managers because i snap at costumers. But with Zyprexa it all went away it was amazing........BUT!!! i have to stop taking it because it caused SO MUCH weight gain. I use to weigh 170lbs and within a year i weigh now 226lbs. I don't even eat that much and i still don't lose weight. there's no point going to the gym and doing cardio because the pill prevents me from losing it. So now i have to ask my doctor to give me a medication that doesn't cause weight gain for i can lose the weight. I am so depressed that i have to stop taking it. it has worked wonders 4 me"

eliasadc (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2016

"I was only on the med for a few days when I knew it wasn't the one for me, I felt like I had cement on my veins it was so hard to get out of bed & once I was up I was in such a fog. On top of being super fatigued I was more agitated. I was afraid to reach out to my doctor but I did & I'm glad. Since switching it's a complete 180° in my mood."

Alex123455 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication is terrible. Made me feel drowsy and nauseous and eventually put me into the hospital causing pancreatitis."

t_stiver September 27, 2016

"Replaced seroquel with this med, depression worsened after about a week."

Bobby1234yut September 20, 2016

"The ultimate fat magnet. I literally doubled my body weight in 6 months. Went from 6 1/2 stone to 13stone. Developed a binge eating disorder! A horrific drug."

Anon611 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

"I have to say this from my own experience, about a year ago I'm not sure what happened but things went haywire and I ended up in hospital diagnosed with bipolar and was put on olanzipine it was good in a sense it cleared my psychotic symptoms and brought me back to reality. I was on 20mg from hospital for about 8 months afterwards but after about a month of coming out of hospital the next 7 were not good I didn't notice at first but I could think properly didn't really feel any emotions and some times I couldn't even speak put on loads of weight and just didn't feel good nothing was changing I felt like a zombie so I asked to come off it so I have been off it about two months and I feel so much better I actually feel human again."

lucariney (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2016

"I have gained roughly 30-35 lbs in 2 months, and I wake up early in the morning with severe back pain. I'm not sure if its keeping anything at bay. but the back pain is terrible, I'm trying to get off this asap, and onto something that doesn't coincide with a very painful wake-up."

BtoB (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Worked well for three months and then developed severe side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

"I have Bipolar Disorder and Generalized Anxiety. I take bupropion daily and Xanax (0.5-1 mg as needed) usually twice a day. I started 3 days ago on 5mg olanzapine (@bedtime) . Wow. Noticed much more stable mood on day 1. Today is day 3 and again, very stable mood and sleeping through the night since starting and am VERY happy with these results so far. I have not had a need for xanax since starting. The only side effect I am experiencing so far is fatigue in the morning hours - no change in appetite or other effects mentioned by others in this column. I will post again in a few months to update my results. "

Naterspud July 20, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was on Zyprexa for a week 10mgs originally prescribed for sleep and coming off of Geodon. Gordon caused anxiety eventually. Zyprexa calmed me down but it was still hard to fall asleep without Ambien. I feel tired slow and hungry all the time the next day. But it did calm my nerves the next day so it may be worth it to give it a try."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication has been very useful in reducing negative thinking. Most people take it at night. I find it more useful when I take it first thing in the morning. It works better if you avoid smoking. I've tried all different antipsychotics, Zyprexa is the only one that seems to work for me."

fyodor July 17, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa was effective at sedating me which prevented the psychotic aspects of my manic episodes from happening very quickly. Since I only had 2 manic episodes in the span of a year, I probably should've stopped taking Zyprexa around 6 months later. Unfortunately I took it for 5 more years which was a MASSIVE mistake. It caused me to be very drowsy and lethargic. Because I started taking it at age 19, I didn't realize the Zyprexa was the culprit until I stopped taking it. I thought I was just a sleepy person. It had a profoundly negative impact on my life because I took it way longer than I should have."

Johnnyjohnjohn (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 19, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine saved my life."

kaube000 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 9, 2016

"I was 150 pounds and I went up to 182 pounds within two months of using olanzapine. You are hungry all of the time on this medication and never feel satisfied. The first two weeks of medication use I felt very tired. I am still tired, but it's not as bad as it was. I started on 15 mg. I dropped down to 10 mg. The unpleasant side effects described continued. I am in the process of getting off this medication."

R C J May 21, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was admitted to the hospital for severe hydration due to vomitting from being sick for a wk and prior to that completely lost my appetite do to a gluon intolerance I had become frustrated with food and I couldn't sleep was angry all the time, I was put on Apo-olanzapine aka Zyprexa and set up with a psychiatrist as an out patient...here's the thing I was prescribed this med by the psychiatrist for weight gain, but it also boost my mood swell , I feel like I'm a level playing field and the game is fair again. Definitely helps with depression, as I don't feel all is consuming me anymore and I eat everything in sight, I put 5 pounds on in 1 wk!!! So beware of that, its strange because you CRAVE food, all you do is think about food...lol"

quicksand (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Feel much better since I started Zyprexa!! Wished I had started it years ago! Zyprexa works quickly to calm a person down. Very progressive type of medication."

Magenta Clay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on zyprexa for 5 days so far. I have been taking 2.5mg and I think I need to up the dose now to 5mg as it feels like it is wearing off. this medication is doing wonders for me, it is great! I can finally have 8 hours of un-disturbed sleep. Prior to commencing this medication, I was suffering from severe symptoms of mania such as insomnia, loss of appetite, high energy levels, psychotic symptoms (hearing voices, derealisation, making weird connections & magical experiences), making new plans, reckless spending & driving, new ideas, taking on too many tasks, agitation. the medication has calmed all of these symptoms. zyprexa is a god send for me. only side effect I have is low blood pressure from it."

Nataaaaalieee (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Stops dead on track those manic/depressive crisis moments. And I love the hunger it gives me. Great pill for me. My AP of choice. Always take this with .5 or 1 mg of clonazepam. ;-)"

corvohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication has made me extremely tired! I feel like I've lost all of my motivation. I am a teacher and a coach and find it extremely hard to get myself "up" to do these things. I am very tired in the morning and its not until late at night that I start to feel like myself again. Only in time to take the medication again and start the process over. It has taken away some anxiety symptoms and helped me sleep (a bit too much) but I feel down a lot because I feel like I lost my passion. I am slowly coming off of it and look forward to getting back to feeling like myself again. I empathize with people on this medication."

Jbazz123 February 12, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine sucked! I was asleep all the time, all day long! Couldn't function in school, couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and was eating every food that I saw in front of me. If I could give 0 stars to this medication I would."

laluluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it."

joru819 February 4, 2016

"Very effective but beware of cardiac side effects, I ended up in hospital with severe long QT interval so get an ECG when you start this drug, the withdrawals are also horrific"

Jonnyb1490 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"This is not a good medicine for me. I'm glad it helps other people, but it makes my body feel like I weigh a thousand pounds, and I can barely move after I wake up the next day after taking it. It makes sleep for more than 14 hours, and it takes another 4 hours to just be able to stand after I wake up. Not a good med for me, I hope others have better experiences."

Fred11123 January 21, 2016