User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "My boyfriend suffers from manic bi polar disorder. He was off meds for 2 years and recently became manic again. We go to the Drs and this is what she prescribed him at a dose of 3mg. It worked as to stopping his manic episodes. BUT he legit is a Zombie now. He sleeps all the time. Is always tired. Emotionless. Unsure of himself. Doesn’t talk. Doesn’t eat. Doesn’t laugh. He basically is nothing. It’s really sad to watch, and I’m actually hoping his Dr will change his meds this week because this is NO way to live."

Lucy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I've put on 19kgs taking Zyprexa It's helped a little with my mood disorder and outbursts however my weight problem is out of control, hence this has caused me more stress seeing myself go from 60kgs to 79kgs in 6 months."

Sofia April 23, 2019

"I gave this drug a five because it is probably the most effective drug I have taken for bipolar depression. I was in a severe depression and it pulled me out of it within days, just an incredible experience. BUT it also caused severe swallowing difficulties. I mean food stuck in my throat, throat muscles not moving at all in response to attempts to swallow, trying to drink water to get things moving, nothing working which causes panic. It started out mildly and I didn't know it was the medication, but got worse and worse. And when I discontinued it...I did it as slowly as I could, considering the swallowing then I got some kind of strange breathing/heart problems. If I exerted myself AT ALL, I would start breathing heavily, sweating, feeling weak, with chest heaviness and feeling faint. I ended up on the floor at work to avoid passing out. I also experienced the worst nausea and acid reflux. It felt like my stomach was a huge acid pool sitting there open to my throat."

Linda (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2019

"After 20 years of suffering,and taking all kind of antidepressants, my doctor prescribed olanzapine 5 mg /night. For anxiety, and for the so called "conditioned avoidance response", as I was pretty miserable when driving, or go out anywhere , felt like drowning,terrible. I did not expected much from the med, due to the tons of negative/mixed reviews. But it helped immediately, lights on, anxiety off, mood normal ,sleep is super, all symptoms has gone, it's like a miracle."

Peter72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2019

"Never take this. Absolutely the worse. Won't help."

Chump (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2019

"I was diagnosed with very mild bipolar disorder and put on Olanzapine. At first it was like this drug restored me to myself - I was happy, creative, and optimistic for the first time in years, sleeping solidly, and my moods were stabilized. But after the first few weeks I started developing anxiety, restless legs, severe leg tremors. Yet my psychiatrist kept upping my dose. For three months I was in a absolute hole, every minute lasting an hour, out of my mind frantic with anxiety, exercising like crazy, having violent leg tremors every time I sat down. Finally I demanded to get off the medication and we tapered it down over a month. I was able to relax and the tremors and restless legs went away. But then I stopped sleeping - entirely. In desperation I got back on the lowest dose. I started sleeping again for another few months, but the anxiety and restless legs and tremors are coming back. Now I'm unable to tolerate this drug but unable to sleep without it. I'm screwed!"

celticharper January 27, 2019

"I have been on this drug for a little over 2 years, so I can confidently talk about its effects. Prior to using this I had a severe manic episode induced by Zoloft. It worked almost immediately for getting rid of my psychosis and helping me sleep. I was on 20-25mg at the time and all I could think about was food. Gaining weight for me personally was needed since I'm male and 5' 10" and only weighed 135 pounds at the time. I gained about 25 pounds in a matter of 7 days. Weight has levelled off and I've been on 2.5mg for most of the time I've taken this. The longer you take it the higher your chances of developing tardive dyskinesia, so keep that in mind. Over the past few months my side effects have worsened tremendously. I have had muscle weakness and shakiness, in addition to muscle twitches. I have to stop taking this med as the side effects have become too severe. I highly recommend this drug for psychosis, but err on the side of caution if you plan to take it long term."

Subject17 December 15, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on olanzapine for 5 yrs. Keeps my mood stable, no irritability, no heavy sinking terrible depression. I went off it for only four months without doctor's permission and I went manic, talking too much, lots of energy extremely painful headaches and delusions of people trying to check me out, little nagging voices, that scared me, annoyed me. Psychosis. All the other bipolar people I met at the psych hospital didn't have psychosis. I only shared the psychosis experience with one man with schizophrenia. Mind you this medicine, for me at 10 mg, really works effectively for my severe case of mania, depression, and psychosis, all in one full swoop. Once I'm stable, I can function just like any other person, just carrying a heavy body around from when my body metabolism acts up on the medicine from age 16-19. Now age 21 weight is pretty stable. This medicine DOES work. But you should only use it if it's for a case like mine."

Salsa December 9, 2018

"I was experiencing EXTREME highs & lows in my moods. I am also diagnosed with Schizophrenaform & was experiencing auditory & a handful of visual hallucinations!!!! Which was really scary for me. I couldn't sleep with the lights off because that's when they would come. They were like demons! I'm highly religious so I did not believe they were hallucinations... However when I got on Zyprexa (Olanzapine. Generic name) Everything stopped. I don't hear talking in my hallway @ night anymore, I don't wake up in cold sweats screaming @ the top of my lungs, I can sleep with the lights off because for whatever reason I don't feel afraid like they are watching me anymore. So it's been very helpful for me but also a tad depressing at the same time knowing that they weren't real and I am just sick!!!!"

Jmonkey (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa was my only miracle med but health wise it ruined me. I was on it for 10 years. All my long term health risk that occurred was from this medication. In 10 years I went from 112 to 296 pounds. I got low thyroid issues now on medication for life for that. Developed high cholesterol, vertigo I developed. These are the long term use of zyprexa and I got them. Yes it helps wonders but why risk your health. Binge eating can occur I developed that real bad also at the 7 year mark. Took it at night and hour later needed to eat nonstop. When they talk about higher side effects it can happen and does. Started with the less and got the severe and now it's a journey also itself for my health. I would stay cautious of this medication. For sure it does cause extreme weight gain which cause all other high risk health issues."

Jo November 16, 2018

"Life saver. I went inpatient with a serious mania, looking and acting like a crazy person, obnoxious and irritable. They put me on Zyprexa 10mg my first full night there, and I woke up in the morning to no mania. It did a great job there. Ten mg was making me super tired so now I've gone down to 5mg as a maintenance dose, if I see mania coming again I'll take 10mg for a bit till it passes. It does make me hungry at 10mg, but doesn't seem too bad at 5mg. Give it a try anyways, you may not notice the improvement as quickly as I did, but it could be your lifesaver next."

OpposumMajor (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Only been on Zyprexa for 5 days, but I'm loving it so far. I was hospitalized five days ago for extreme mania, they took me off of Abilify (which I believe caused the mania, I'd only been put on it two weeks before). They added Zyprexa 10mg to my trazodone at night (also take Lamictal and Zoloft in the am). It was a bit too sedating at 10mg, so they bumped it down to 5mg and it's perfect. I've always had mad munchies at night from the trazodone anyways, and am still not hungry till dinner anyways, so it isn't really causing me any weight gain. It brought me out of mania the first time I took it, I hope to never be without this med again, as of now. Again, just started it 5 days ago but I've actually lost 4 pounds since then, and I can't say enough good about it!"

OpposumMajor (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This is the best side effect free strong antipsychotic I have taken so far. I have bipolar disorder and just 2.5 mg is enough to combat mania and minor depression. I also have anxiety and and it makes me calm. I don’t take it everyday. I take it sometimes when my doctor says. No side effects, no dizziness, no anxiety, no AKATHISIA just drowsiness which I like for anxiety."

GR (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 26, 2018

"Too sleepy to function, actually feels like blackout , really really sleepy all day. Please stop prescribing these"

Miley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 1, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Because antidepressants make me cycle I didn’t think their was much hope for any happiness. Until I found this drug. It changed my life!"

Amy W. July 29, 2018

"I feel so relax & calm. I'm so happy that I tried zyprexa(olanzpine)"

Anonymous July 26, 2018

"It has help me out a lot! I will recommend this to those with BPD."

Billy23 July 26, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Works great every time! I have rapid cycling bipolar and this is the most effective out of all antipsychotics. Sometimes they put me off it but every time I’m on it it feels like a world of change like my brain starts to function again."

TJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "DO NOT take this medication unless you are either psychotic, bipolar or have an extreme neurological condition. I took this medication for 8 years and it ruined my life to be honest. These drugs are EXTREMELY dangerous and powerful and can ruin your life even by taking it for 1 week. This drug is NOT for anxiety or ANY mild to average condition. Move to the countryside for 3 months and rent a cabin, it will solve your issues. If you are a parent, do not EVER put any child on this drug. Anti-psych drugs are 1000 times more dangerous than you can ever imagine. Same goes for Abilify or any atypical or typical anti-psychotic. Tardive dyskinesia is a potentially permanent side effect that can ruin your life within a week. Saying that, they work EXTREMELY effectively for severe mental disorders and may save your life if you are suicidal."

Jason (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 27, 2018

"Sort of felt like it worked at first, may have been placebo. Increased appetite. Stopped in less than 2 weeks."

bpd789 (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

"Huge weight gain and agitation"

Taylormade May 14, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "After luckily failed suicide attempt I got prescribed Olanzapine. Only 5mg does a significant relief for me. Had been suffering of depression and hypomanic episodes but after taking only 5mg of Olanzapine I feel completely different - no more mood swings at all. I feel like a normal person. This medication saved and even improved the quality of the life I'm living at the moment. Beside Olanzapine I got prescribed antidepressant Escitaloprame which also works great in treating Bipolar disorder."

BipolarFree (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Out of the 4 anti psychotics I tried this one worked wonders for me. I was diagnosed back in 2011 for a psychotic episode and developed bi polar psychosis. Took 5mgs for years and I was feeling great. The only thing is that I would have some tactile hallucinations but wouldn’t hear any voices. I would just feel like a crazy maniac that wouldn’t sleep for days before going on zyprexa. Anyways I went off of it and then a year later I am here taking it again because I just can’t stand my anxiety and delusions and mood swings. I mix it with seroquel sometimes. Anyways this drug works wonders. I don’t get an increased appetite. The only problem is that when I wake up I don’t feel like eating anything so I end up eating at 2pm. The side effects for me are decreased appetite and some fatigue but other than that, I can finally enjoy life again. Remember that it takes a few weeks for it to take full effects and side effects do become more tolerable through time."

Dimitri May 5, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication would receive a negative review if possible. The primary reason I hate this medication is because the weight gain, diabetes and withdrawal symptoms. You see I started taking this thinking "well...if I gain to much weight I can always stop." Think again. I literally wouldn't sleep for days."

William (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "My stomach is spilling over Instead of my mind for once. My head is no longer a circus, A tent of sad clowns and unruly animals. Uni-cycling on a tightrope Between intelligence and insanity Has never been so balanced."

vernacularacrobat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2018