User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Intramuscular

Olanzapine has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 35 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 43% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine

Doc May 17, 2020

“This olanzapine is the worst drug ever made. Makes you lose all your emotion and decreases your IQ. Increases anxiety and depression and increases restlessness that does not go away after going off the drug. Completely messes up your GI system with terrible constipation, zero energy, inability to cry, decreases communication and you lose the ability to have any type of sex life. Big pharma should be ashamed to have this available. I would give it a zero if I could.”

Nico04 · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2021

“I’ve suffered from severe depression and anxiety for such a long time. I am only 22 years old but I have tried several antidepressants already. I was put on Escitalopram 20 mg but it seemed it wasn’t doing enough for my condition. My doc suggested me to take 2.5 mg of Olanzapine alongside with my antidepressant. I felt a relief from the first days. It was pretty unbelievable for me. My obsessive thoughts were not so violent and frequent anymore, I could laugh, make jokes, be present, do sports, cook etc. I felt the desire to go out and do things, which was a pretty big step for me. I am so thankful for this drug. I really hope it will get even better and better.”

S.NewMe · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I am 5'3" tall and weigh 94lbs. I was prescribed several different antidepressants over a span of ten years along with Klonopin 1mg tid and Remeron 45mgs at bedtime for anxiety. I finally decided to see a Psychiatrist and she put me on 2.5mg of Zyprexa at bedtime. Just one dose and I was a completely different person! I woke up rested, smiling, happy, energized and a sense of well being again! This drug was like night and day for me! I am now on day 5 and I just keep feeling better! I am doing things I never dreamed I would and was able to get the job I've always wanted! For me, Zyprexa has truly changed my life and I hope it helps others the way it has helped me! The only side effect I've had is increased appetite (which I needed). :)”

Reallytiredtbh · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 22, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I started taking zyprexa when I was hospitalized for suicide. It worked, I felt less suicidal because I felt more dull. Zyprexa is a medication meant for short time use and many people end up on it for years and years. It acts a sexual suppressant though, which I didn’t notice until I was off of it and suddenly felt more easily turned on. It is very hard to get off it and has some side effects; it took me 1 yr to taper it down and when I finally got off of it I am now having terrible issues sleeping.”

Jenee · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I've been trying different meds for anxiety for years. I have debilitating anxiety and depression. Zyprexa started out great, my head cleared of the perpetual fog and I was able to function. Two weeks later I started becoming a zombie and my hair started falling out. It's been a month now, I'm now on Seroquel, gaining weight and my hair is still falling out by the hand full. I simply don't know what to do.”

DPDR Guy · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa has been a life-saver. I was literally to the brink of suicide because of my Major Depression, Generalized Anxiety, slight Bipolar II, OCD, PTSD, and Depersonalization/Derealization. I have been on it for about a week and I feel complete difference already. No more night terrors, no more worry about the littlest things, no more feeling anxious around people, and no more not feeling like my bad self again. I feel the best I've felt in 2 years cause of this! All my symptoms have gone away with little sode effects, despite the weight gain and a lethargy an hour after taking it. I take at night, 5 mgs, I may start taking 2.5 mgs in the morning to help the morning edge off. I heard allot about the diabetes, hope it doesn't happen to me.”

Steve Stevenson · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “For the amount of calmness I got from this drug, I was still physically alert and able. That's more than can say for most antipsychotics. It helped me sleep, and the following day my anxieties were lessened. I also found weird glimmers of hope in things, that had to be my depression lifting. It's a miracle to me. However, I gained 20 pounds in one month, and the doctor saw that as a reason to get me off the drug. Food had this crazy magnetism about it; it quickly became the most valuable thing on the planet, and I was having cravings for food unlike anything I've ever craved. If you can take the drug without binge eating, congratulations, because it works. Still, most people on this are overweight.”

Karebear · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “So I don't know if I'm alone here, but Zyprexa gave me very strange, borderline psychotic symptoms. I started having thoughts of tripping people or pushing them, complete strangers, btw...these thoughts came out of nowhere. I took it for about a month and had to stop taking it out of fear that it would get worse. I told my doc about this and he said it wasn't a typical reaction but I know what I felt...”

Worth the Wait (pun intended!) · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2015

“A lifetime of propensity to depression, then A MIRACLE 24 hours after my first 2.5 dose of Olanzapine combined with 100mg of Sertraline (been on that for years). I have my life back! Yes, there are a few side effects but they are in the main handleable/controllable and certainly better than the desire to die. The last 5 years of excruciating fear, shaking, crying, not showering/dressing. Staring at television all day, taking sleeping pills to keep me out of the world and avoid suicide. Name an anti-depressant and there's an 80% chance I've been on it! 6 weeks in private hospital this summer. Within a week of release I was back to the couch and my blanket. God bless my new GP for prescribing this!!”

Zzzach · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Avoid this like the plague! I have had irreversible damage to my metabolic system because of this medication including my thyroid. Evidence came out after the medications release that they hid these symptoms to get a quick release. Gained 30lbs in 2 months on this. I weaned off 10 years ago and am still dealing with the ramifications of this drug. Not worth it.”

JOH · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Do NOT take this medicine. It caused my dad to get diabetes, and I took it not knowing that it was the same medication and gave me a terrible reaction. I had to be rushed to the hospital. I couldn’t walk because I was so out of it. I started talking funny, I couldn’t focus, much less keep myself awake most of the time. This medicine is for schizophrenia patients NOT bipolar. This medication has lawsuits on it continually because of it causing so many issues”

Happy Dude · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Wow this medication has helped me tremendously lower my anxiety and actually enjoy going out and the intrusive thoughts have not disappeared totally but I am able to shrug them off. I was taking 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5 at night but successfully decreased by half for day and night.CBT has helped as well. I am not a doctor but if your debating on if you should take it I would. The weight gain is a side effect but I have managed by limiting to 3 meals a day and not having any sweets in the house. Take note I am also on Cipralex and Lamotrigine so the cocktail of meds is helping alot”

tonio78 · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “this drug didnt do shit to me. it actually made me feeling worse. my doctor doesnt want to take me off it. ive been taking it for 3 weeks for anxiety and hasnt done anything. plus i have put on 7 kilos. my dosage is 7.5 mg.”

satyam2016 February 17, 2018

“To say olanzapine is either good or bad is too simplistic. When times were rough (and they were very rough indeed!) this drug did help me to carry on living. However, as I recovered, at some stage I felt the awful side-effects were not worth continuing it. Incredible weight gain (6 stone in total) was just one of them. It also dumbed me down a lot, I wasn't as alert anymore, had problems concentrating - but I slept like a log. Came off this drug completely about 2 months ago and I feel a lot better for it! Feels like I'm me again. People have commented on how I smile and laugh a lot more. I have much more energy and don't need a nap in the afternoon anymore. Overall, I feel this drug can be helpful in the short term, but, at least for me, it's not a long-term option!”

s · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2019

“On olanazpine I felt like I had been labotomized. I felt sad and unmotivated as usual but I could not bring my self to cry or express any pent up feelings. I could not cry at all no matter how hard I tried, it freaked me out.”

Kat88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2016

“My depression was so bad my anxiety became horrible and also developed scary thoughts . I tried a few different pills and each one after 3 days I had to stop them due to Bad side effects I was then put on zyprexa 2.5mg and did not expect much from them but I was surprised ! First day I did not feel any different but by day 3 I felt a little better and started day 4 broke my pill record ! I'm on day 7 now and feel a lot better ! I feel like me again I still have some anxiety but it's bearable :) and the bad thoughts seem to get blocked out when starting :) . still no bad side effects I have had a few dizzy moments when bending over and getting up to fast but it passes fast :) I'm glad I started this pill wish it was the first one I tried !!”

Town · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2018

“Been on 2.5mg for 5 months due to anxiety and agitation. It’s helped no doubt. Sleep is rock solid, 8 hours every night and zero weight gain. I train 5 days a week rotating cardio and weight training. I also take 45 mg mirtazapine for depression. Hopefully there is no poop out with this drug. My Pdoc and plan to come off when I have healed enough.”

Jezebel · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2020

“10mg of this olanzapine per day plus 20mg Prozac has made a huge difference. Less anxiety, less depression, only side effect has been tiredness but that’s only a small price to pay! Wonderful and wish I’d tried it before”

stefatorus May 30, 2021

“I have been diagnosed with F33.1 (Major depressive disorder, recurrent, moderate) and F60.3 (Borderline personality disorder) as my secondary diagnosis. My treatment plan included the following: - Olanzapine (0-0-1) 5mg - Venlafaxine (1-0-0) 75mg - Valproic Acid (1-0-1) 250mg It did almost immediately relieve my symptoms. However, the treatment had several side effects that were debilitating and have led me and my psychiatrist to discontinue olanzapine as an adjuvant: - Loss of ability to concentrate. I work as a senior java developer in charge of my own projects, and using olanzapine has led me to stutter and forget words during meetings, unable to keep conversations or explain my recommendations to my clients. - Sleeping 12-14 hours a day. While I did have a normal night's sleep, i wasn't able to keep up an activity for more than 30 mins. - Minor movement issues. I sometimes had lip tremors, especially while having facial expressions.”

Kmotion October 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Prescribed Zyprexa after taking Duloxetine/Cymbalta made me suicidal. It did mellow my mood, helped me gain back the 30 lbs I had lost during height of illness. Hated the inability to laugh or cry. Hated the dry mouth. As a dancer the stiff, dry joints were dangerous. I hurt my knee because the extreme change in my flexibility. Took it for 3 months.”

beedoose · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 2, 2015

“I just got off of this medication after taking it for 1 yr. Sure it keeps depression at bay, but I experienced some horrible side effects that my doctor didn't even warn me about! I gained 80 lbs in 1 yr on this med. I went from being a healthy 170 lbs (women's size 12) to a lethargic 250 lbs (size 20). All I wanted to do on this medicine was eat. Another side effect was that I was tired all the time. I would sleep for 14 hours and still be tired.This medication also raised my blood sugar and my general practitioner was ready to put me on medication for type 2 diabetes. I'm only 25 and just want to be healthy again. So glad I got off this medication. Been off it for 5 days (now on Viibryd) and already feel a million percent better!”

BillyBob1457 May 19, 2015

“I have been taking this in combination with Citalopram 40mg for about 7 years. This drug controlled my racing thoughts and allowed me to sleep properly. My initial dose was 7.5mg but I am now down to 2.5mg. For me now it feels that 7.5mg was a very strong dose but I needed it at the time. I had no negative side effects. No withdrawal on reducing dosage. I don't suffer undue hunger - actually for me my depression contributed to a lack of appetite so any effect was actually beneficial to me. For me it worked wonders and enabled me to work. I think with all these drugs there are different effects on different people and each person is also suffering a unique conditions. I was lucky in that my doctor hit on the right combination for me day 1”

Delta99 · Taken for less than 1 month May 10, 2016

“I suffer from depression, anxiety, irritability and anger. I recently fell into a deep depression, was suicidal, and began cutting myself. I was admitted to a psych ward for 4 days, and was prescribed 5mg olanzepine, and my fluoxetine was reduced to 10mg from 30. I'm doing SO much better with this combination. I'm not as anxious as I used to be. My depression is about gone completely, and I'm more patient with society. I've been on it for 2 weeks. The only down side is that I am STARVING, ALL THE TIME. No food can satisfy my stomach. I'm 6' and 150lb, so I don't care if I gain weight, but my mom has type II diabetes, so I'm paranoid taking this medication, which doesn't help my situation”

Nitababy April 6, 2015

“I just started taking the drug olanzapine. However I having problems with rapid weight gain.. In only 6 days of taking the drug, I have gained 6 pounds. Tomorrow, I'm starting to exercise at least 20 minutes a day. Mentally, I am feeling much better. I am currently taking 5 mgs of Olanzapine along with 40 mgs of Fluoxetine once daily for major depressive disorder. I know this medication is working because I am willing to exercise. So far, so good.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2018

“I am opioid dependant for nearly 5 years. Subs and Methadone are the medications I rotate, never together. Since starting Zyprexa 2 weeks ago, my worries, agitation and depression have gone. My medication is the following; 80mg methadone daily. (mornings) 15mg Mirtazapine before bed. 5mg wafer Zyprexa mid-afternoon. Only since adding Zyprexa have all my worries and depression been absolved. Incredible medication. In a wafer lollie. If you are opioid dependant like me, suboxone or methadone and you still feel a bit off. SSRIs are not working. Talk to your doctor about Zyprexa wafers. People worry about weight gain on Zyprexa. But a calorie is a calorie. FASTING you'll be Okay. Food cravings have not really increased. Fast Fast in the mornings and you will be fine. Balanced diet after lunchtime and youll be fine.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder