User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Intramuscular

Olanzapine Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine

I hate Zyprexa · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 17, 2020

“For those that leave good reviews, you are either lucky the drug works, getting paid by big pharma to keep quiet about the mortality this drug causes, or you haven't experienced withdrawal symptoms yet. This was the most horrible disgusting antipsychotic I've ever taken. Nothing but chemical lobotomy inside a small pill. Can't think, can't cry, can't be happy, can't lose weight... can't feel pleasure in anything. How can anyone benefit from something that leaves you emotionally flat? If it works for you, great. But don't be surprised when the "feeling okay" turns into "feeling worse". You have been warned.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2020

“After my experience I would have never started, and my advice is to get off if it isn't already to late.”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2020

“I discovered that my mother was suffering from delusional disorder only after the symptoms became much worse. She used to have episodes of extreme violence and agitation. But after about a week of taking medication her situation improved significantly. It has been almost 4 months now. She has had no psychotic episodes so far. She has also gained a lot of weight which is a side effect. Overall the drug proved to be very effective.”

Shell · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2019

“I have been on olanzipine 15 mg for several months and have gained two sizes in weight, my hair is falling out by the handfuls and I really don't want to get out of bed in the morning or do much of anything. It's a rather high dose and I am going to be cutting it down soon. I'm not having much luck with other antipsychotics, however. So options are running out.”

Berkley · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

“Terrible experience with the first dosage of olanzapine 20mg. Cloudy vision accompanied with dullness, lowered cognitive skill, hard to talk without feeling thirsty, hungry all the time, weight gain, and zero sex drive. What human could live life like this?”

IWantOut April 14, 2019

“Hate it. Nothing but eat, sleep (which takes a majority of the day), no focus (almost fired from my job) weight gain, lowered cognitive function, worsening depression, suicidal thoughts, and no motivation whatsoever. This is chemical lobotomy as a prescription pill.”

Torstang · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 4, 2018

“(Short version.) Had a psychotic episode in 2010. Olanzapine cured it. Tried stopping the olanzapine and for the first time in my life experienced insomnia. 7 days 7 nights not a minute of sleep. First time trying sleeping pills, they didn't work. Back on 10mg olanzapine, opposite problem. 12 hours of sleep a night with ease, but no motivation to get up. I spend so much time being tired, I wonder is it even worth being alive. Work, sleep, repeat. Also, gained almost 100 lbs since starting olanzapine. In the past 3 years I have managed to lose almost 60. Will try cutting back the dosage because when I'm on olanzapine, I feel like I'm already dead. I want to live again. Being so tired all the time and spending most of my time asleep isn't living.”

Donald · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 20, 2018

“Olanzapine is responsible for turning my life from worse to very worse. Trade in medicine I advise patients with schizoaffective disorder to not to take it. I live in a dizziness due to olanzapine. I have an increase in weight, pain in the body, deep sleep and poor concentration. I lost 6 years of my life. I am a victim of olanzapine from the dark side”

Nonaraza · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 14, 2018

“Olanzapine (Brand Name Zyprexa) is a terrific medication that I settled on after trying every single antipsychotic (except Clozaril) with poor, sometimes intolerable results. I was initially scared of the radical weight gain I'd heard about, but when I actually started taking it, I found that I actually lost 5-10 pounds! So definitely don't discount this drug due to weight gain...it's different for everybody. It does cause daytime sedation, but after being hospitalized 12 times, I gave up on trying to stay slim or going back to work one day, and "gave in" to the olanzapine...it was always the one drug I wanted to reach for when in any uncomfortable state of mind, and that told me that it was the drug for me. I take 7.5 mg and it helps both with psychotic symptoms such as thought disorganization and delusions, and with mood stabilization, both are which are part of my Schizoaffective Disorder. I highly recommend you give this medicine a try to ease and comfort your mind.”

Ugee · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 3, 2018

“After trying abilify, sinogan,r isperdal and seroquel without any success I finally found my dreamed med. I've been on it for almost 2 months, the first few days it felt like a mental breakdown, but come on! , you need to breakthrough in order to reach a normal state of consciousness again. After a couple on weeks on it, I feel like a perfectly normal person again, no more paranoia, anxiety fully suppressed and depression too. Just watch out for what you eat (the hunger it gives is completely manageable, if you go fat is because you are giving up to your desires)”

TyAustin · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2018

“So far all I have read about this medication are negative comments but for me Olanzapine has been a lifesaver! I have tried so many medications for my Schizoaffective Disorder (Bipolar Type) and some of them have worked somewhat or I have had to many side effects to the point I could not tolerate it. The only side effect I have got from the Olanzapine is drowsiness which isn’t a problem for me because I take it a few hours before bed time. Before this medication I would hallucinate a few times a week and would sometimes go into full blown psychosis and have to be hospitalized. Now that I have been taking this medicine for a few months I have only hallucinated once but my psychiatrist increased the dosage and most of my symptoms have gone away. I would definitely recommend this medication but just make sure you exercise a few days a week. My psychiatrist told me about the possibility of weight gain but so far that hasn’t happened.”

moadej · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 7, 2018

“Worked even at 5mg, though as time passed I needed more and more and am currently on 25mg (past the maximum) but it was worth it. Gotten rid of voices completely except when I'm stressed (like work or school tests) or eat lots (I also have an eating disorder). If not for extreme weight gain which pushed a former underweight into the overweight category I'd rate this a 10.”

Myaliasisnotmyname · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2018

“I was on a very high dose of zyprexa (olanzapine) for a long time (60 mg a day) about 8 months . During that time I was not human. I could not hold a normal conversation because my head was totally empty and I could not find the words. I had no motivation to do anything really, just sleeping, staring at the wall all day. I was like a zombie, walking weird like dragging my feet behind me and I gained A LOT of weight. I slurred when talking and drooled a lot. I isolated myself completely from the outside world and hit a real low. This was the darkest time of my life and I wouldn't wish this punishment on my worst enemy.”

Gwem · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2017

“This has been a miracle drug for me. Ive been on everything, and this drug is like no other. I could care less about the significant weight gain. Im dealing with will power challenges when it comes to food.Zyprexa allows me a LIFE.”

swimming23 October 6, 2017

“I was put on this medication when I was 19, 25 years ago, I had a problem experimenting with hallucingenics in my teens, after a really bad trip when I was 18, that wouldn' t go away a team of doctors suggested this drug. If only I had have known that it would be thee most addictive substance I'd ever met I'd have left well enough alone. I gained so much weight, waking up in the middle of the night craving complex carbs and sugars, couldn't get back to sleep til I felt full which took a lot of eating as you never feel full while on zeprexa. It destroyed all of my epthatic traits that made me the type of person I liked to be, caring, open minded. And coming off of heroin was a million times easier.”

HPS Amabael · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2017

“This medication was great. My anxiety was probably the lowest it was ever when I was on Zyprexa. Only thing was that the risks outweighed the benefits. I'm already short and overweight, with high cholesterol and triglycerides. So I stopped Zyprexa. I've tried every drug out there (literally, even the old typical antipsychotics) and Zyprexa is comparable to Haldol in effectiveness. Haldol was once considered the "gold" standard of antispsychotics. The other thing to worry about was my heart murmur. These atypicals can knock your heart out of rhythm.”

Anonymous April 23, 2017

“This medication is very effective in making me have a mainly normal day. It does make me feel drowsy at when I first wake up but I do not hear any voices or have any racing thoughts or other disturbances throughout the day. I am also able to sleep well. I do however notice a difference in between being on 15mg versus 10mg. I need the higher dose for it to be as effective, I was still having some disturbances on the lower dose.”

Owlem · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “This medicine never made the voices I heard go away-though I'll admit they were a bit calmer. They couldn't have been anything but though, considering the fog I was in because of the side effects. I felt NOTHING, not happiness, depression, calmness, anxiety. I saw no wonder in the world, felt no kind of joy. It was no way to live-it wasn't living. It was existing, and that side effect didn't go away despite my taking it for months. Another side effect was the weight gain-in three months I'd gained thirty pounds.”

austins dad January 27, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “It's a wonder drug it has taken my voices away and seeing things away. My paranoia is still there but alot better. My moods are under control as well”

victorlynch December 25, 2016

“It's a miracle for someone else to feel better (which I'm happy they do) but it does not work to me. I feel empty these days with lack of motivation to do anything. My hallucinations and voices don't go away that easy. I still find myself seeing shadows and hearing voices telling me words that aren't real. I'm not worried about the weight gain I just want the hallucinations and hearing voices to go away. I am diagnosed with schizoaffective which now make me doubt about it. My mood is stable (how others see on the outside) normal to everyone but it like putting myself to sleep and becomes even slow. aripiprazole was bad for me as it made me feel restless and suicidal.”

HaskinsA December 20, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I started Zyprexa 6 months ago after I was hospitalized to the psych ward and diagnosed schitzoaffective, I'm also bipolar. It has been pretty darn good, makes me sleepy which is good for bedtime, I get between 8-15 hours of sleep a night. In July when I was in the hospital I weighed 98 pounds, I have gained 30 pounds since, but Im worried I'll keep gaining more weight, which is why I am thinking of looking for other medications that can treat both the ups and downs and the delusions and hallucinations. Other than the the major weight gain, its good.”

GoMedFree December 1, 2016

“Olanzapine did not work for me, my psychosis symptoms did not improve at all, if anything it made them worse. It made me constantly dizzy and very tired. I could barely function, or even keep my eyes open, I would sometimes fall asleep sitting up. Constant napping there was no choice. I felt like a zombie with no feelings or emotions which is worse than my original condition imo. And the worst part is you do not have a sex life when on this medication at all! No desire to have sex, it actually hurts to have sex and it's impossible to orgasm I was a pretty small person to begin with around 120-125 and I eat a healthy low carb/sugar diet, no processed foods mostly organic fresh vegtables and oils, never over eating. So when my doctor told me that I would probably gain weight I didn't think it would actually happen but I took it for 7 months and I ended up weighing 166! It was so depressing and now I have permanent stretch marks on my body :( I don't take any medication any more and I honestly feel so much better. Also if you research olanzapine it's a pretty dangerous drug and has killed a lot of people.  ”

i didnt want a nickname November 5, 2016

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): “It worked very well and even boosted my mood. That is, until I had a seizure. The doctors presumed it was caused by this medication”

Olanzapine September 16, 2016

“I have used this medication for around two years. It Is very good with helping Schizoid Type Thoughts however i would not recommend the medication as a long term medication due to weight gain and its ability to affect whether or not you can wake up in the morning. It has a tendency to make me fall asleep for two days straight. From - Adult Male who has had sleep cycle problems from a young age.”

LissMiss2 March 9, 2016

“I am currently on Zyprexa, it's a miracle since it took the voices and hallucinations away. Life is good in that sense but it's given me acne and I am gaining weight, like alot. I also have no emotions not happy sad or any at all. I am a zombie these days but no other drug has taken the voices away so I think I will stay on it for a while.”

Learn more about Schizoaffective Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)