User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Intramuscular

Olanzapine has an average rating of 7.3 out of 10 from a total of 27 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 67% of those users who reviewed Olanzapine reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

7.3/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine

Nihilistic · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2021

“olanzapine was prescribed for my auditory hallucinations, major depression with psychotic features. Got up to 15mg twice daily and I feel like a sociopath. Had a newborn 6 months ago and I feel no love or joy around her. Not motivated to do anything and nothing at all catches my interest. So I'm on day 3 of not taking it anymore as my hallucinations go away, and stay away without some precipitating factor(like the stress of a newborn). I hope I recover soon because I don't want to even be around my baby. It did stop my hallucinations however after about 5 weeks. Just beware becoming a husk of life stripped of your humanity.”

Miss S · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2019

“On the olanazapine for Bipolar and borderline. There was no difference in my condition, except it destroyed my liver and affected my appetite so much that I gain 30 kg in about a month. I was never obese in whole my life until then and I am still although that was almost 3 years ago. Liver got healthy very fast, as it always had been until the biggest destroyer of my life - olanzapine.”

charbono · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

“10mg Olanzapine has reduced my anxiety and given me enough energy and motivation to clean my house. Before I took this medication I spent most days curled up in a ball unable to deal with anything. Overall this has been a wonderful thing for me. It made me really sleepy initally (I slept through alarms and was late for work a few times) and definitely gives you the munchies. I have gained 2 kilos in 2 weeks.”

Zoe April 18, 2019

“I have borderline personality disorder, 35 years of age, diagnosed in 2016, but didn't really understand it until 2018 and was in denial and drinking for 6 years. I'm on venlaflaxine (effexor) and it was the first drug where my depression was lifted but I was still looking at trying to leave the house. Come 2019, stop drinking, started smoking weed, had a hypomanic and hallucination episode while in hospital and a good Psychiatrist gave me olanzapine and it changed my life, this was the drug I've been looking for (I used to be anti drugs until things got so bad I couldn't work). He gave it to me for manic episode cause he said I wasn't acting like myself. Only on olazapine 3 days and I noticed a difference only in one day. I had to get the medicine special ordered and took it after a week out of hospital. So I saw the difference in that one week, nothing triggered me, wasn't obsessively thinking and racing mind, no depression, no rage or anger. Life changing!”

Anon Lady · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2015

“Very helpful for insomnia and stress and my Borderline Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and the severe depression and anxiety I've had all my life. Plus no weight gain! I love this one out of all I've tried and would recommend it to anyone else who suffers these afflictions - God bless and be well.”

ZZYYR · Taken for 10 years or more January 29, 2017

“I was in a study of this medication. Half got it and the other half got placebo. Dose was increased to 20 mg at bedtime. I got dramatically better in every area. My husband and parents were thrilled because I had previously attempted suicide and had to be hospitalized. When the study was half way over all of us got Zyprexa and the half that must of have on placebo, because they didn't get ANY better, all had results like I did. At the end of the trial. I stopped it b/c I had gained 6 # in 12 weeks. A week off it my husband said I had to get back on it since I had was so bad. This is 11 yrs later & my wt is back to normal, still on med.”

BPD and maybe bipolar II · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2014

“Zyprexa (along with Prozac) worked miracles for me right away. No mood swings, no irritability/anger, no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no impulsivity, I don't feel nearly as cynical, very little emptiness/boredom. Energy is up during the day, Zyprexa helps me sleep. Slight lightheadedness, but nothing troubling. I have my life back.”

KWR01 · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2016

“I have suffered from BPD and depression since early adulthood. I have been seeking help for 30+ years. I've been on all kinds of medicine, but it wasn't until Zyprexa was added to my antidepressant that I found complete relief of my horribly unstable mood and suicidal thoughts. I felt relief from the 2nd day of use. I never ever thought that I would feel normal, and happy. Amazing! No more rage, no more depressive episodes, less compulsive thoughts, my mood is so even. So happy to have stumbled upon a medicine that works.”

Jim R. · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2015

“I have tried so many medications over the years to treat depression and BPD. My doctor prescribed this medication and I know this sounds silly but I could feel it's effects the second day. Getting back to my old self. No emotional out bursts of anger. On the road to recovery!!”

Cameron · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2018

“I have been taking olanzapine for a little under a month now and I have noticed slight effects and it doesn’t completely stop the BPD but it does help getting yourself back to being you which is something I struggle with immensely! I take 5mg of olanzapine in the morning along side 100mg of sertraline. At night I have 10mg of olanzapine and 10mg of melatonin an hour before my bed and I quickly get sleepy. For me olanzapine has made slight changes with my moods and personality but I need to wait a few more weeks to start noticing the full effects. Thanks in your time reading my review and opinion”

BB · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

“I’m close to being 35 years old and this is the first time I’ve felt a resemblance of myself returning since my teen years! I’m on 2.5 mg dose of Olanazapine, I have borderline personality disorder, I really works and the only negative side effect thus far is restless legs at night. That can be easily dealt with. It’s a small price to pay for finally finding some relief.”

DavidC1984 March 13, 2017

“This medicine is very powerful and is easily the best medicine that I've taken for borderline personality disorder. If you go down the list of symptoms for BPD this medicine basically takes care of all of them, with two major side effects: sleepiness and weight gain. I have tried almost all of the SSRI's and SNRI's, Wellbutrin, Saphris and Abilify and nothing works as good or as quickly as Zyprexa.”

BPD GUY February 24, 2016

“I have had great improvements with my depression and mood swings with zyprexa and prozac. This seems to go like peanut butter and jelly. I can't say for sure it's the med's, but my suicidal thoughts are pretty much gone completely, and I thought that would never happen!!! Thank God!!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 16, 2017

“At the age of 12 I was forced to take olanzapine at 15mg for 3 years until I stopped the medication cold turkey against psychiatrists orders. I slept on average 14 hours a day and my emotional state was flatlined for the duration of those 3 years. I experienced several side effects that impacted my life in more ways than I can explain. Constant shaking, excessive weight gain and so many more. I remember accidentally taking a double dose and suffering the most intense pain I have ever experienced in my life to this day. This is the worst drug I have ever had the misfortune to take and I think they need to stop giving it to children and adolescents immediately.”

Torianna · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2018

“I love Olazapine. It was a life changer. However, I've put on 10+ pounds since I started taking it in about September 2017. Do not smoke or drink often tho (more than once a week) because I find when I do, the effects of the medication aren't as substantial. I struggle with alcoholism and find it hard to stay alcohol free. So because I don't listen to myself, the pills aren't working as well. Usually, my thoughts are clear, my anxiety is minimal, and I'm able to LIVE. but lately, I'm crippled emotionally. Stay away from alcohol and drugs while on olazapine.”

Louise · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 11, 2019

“I have been on olanzapine for 9 months. I had psychosis and was started on it. I am back on 10mg dose - it was lowered to 7.5mg recently because of weight gain, during that time. I was incredibly anxious, agitated, had insomnia, began seeing things, was tearful, my anger increased. I have only been back on the 10mg a couple days but I feel less agitated, am still seeing things but it is lessening. I am less jumpy. I am less tearful, my sleep is improving. I plan on staying at this dose because it did help me in the past before the lowered dose. The key to keeping a stable weight is healthy eating and exercise like walking I think. Olanzapine really helps, so for me weight gain is something I'll try and deal with. It is said the longer one is on it, your appetite stabilises. I don't want to feel like I did before so am sticking with it. I was diagnosed with EUPD (Emotionally unstable personality disorder) 10 years ago. I am close to 40yrs old.”

Yogi8720 · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2016

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): “Worst,make me feel extremely dizzy & about to pass out any time soon...I even fall off on my bathroom floor cause unable to stand still.I take it at night but the effects are still there when i wake up in the morning!”

richstad · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2017

“Best anti psychoticI've tried. On 5mg, also on 225mg Venlafaxine for C-PTSD (helps with depression & anxiety). Best combo I've had to date, but doesn't make me energetic, but alleviates the C-PTSD, BPD and IBS, so it's a winner.”

Bex10 July 23, 2017

“Very negative experience; I was on this medication for about 6 months to help with my anxiety levels and emotional turbulence. At the beginning of starting this medication I was underweight, six months on I gained a lot of weight, I looked chubby, especially in my face. I was not happy with this significant weight gain, I also didn't feel it was helping with my mental health either. I stopped taking Olanzapine nearly a year and a half ago, I have been working very hard to loose weight and I'm getting there. However my self esteem has shattered, I don't like my body and I am very self conscious - this is all due to the weight gain from Olanzapine. My advice is that if you are offered this medication, do your research first & exercise.”

CaliforniaGuy1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2018

“Worked great from the first night I took it. The next morning I felt calmer and more mentally and emotionally stable. It helps me sleep and sleep well. I haven’t been formally diagnosed with anything yet, but I’m guessing I have BPD with depression and an anxiety disorder. This helped me with everything except for depression. I can’t rate it a perfect 10 because it seems to make me a little tired and unmotivated during the day. Also, I can’t seem to lose much weight on it, which is a bummer. My pdoc has tried other antipsychotics and AD’s on me but only zyprexa (Olanzapine) has seemed to help at all.”

Resti · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2018

“I've been taking Olanzapine 5mg for about a month now, and I have gained 5 pounds. I only think of food, now I exercise a lot so I don't gain anymore weight. I had very bad anxiety and suicidal thoughts and tried to commit suicide by taking an overdose of pills, when I was in the hospital they gave me Olanzepine. I feel much better but I'm up extremely early like 5:00am, I feel more positive and my thoughts are clearer. I am restless and want to keep moving and doing stuff, it can be exhausting but as long as I feel better.”

mm31 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2017

“2.5 mgs olanzapine a day, bpd-adhd-gad able to cope with mood swings better as if observing them from a distance. takes the edge off agitation. and have that all important regular sleep cycle. I can't stop eating but haven't gained a lot of weight. symptoms are still present but easier to deal with.”

Alexandre Simoes · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2016

“This drug makes you gain a ridiculous amount of weight in just a few days. I've been taking zyprexa for 2 months and gained almost 9kg. It's terrible because of its side effects. As someone who was just at the right weight for my height I'm afraid I'll not stop gaining weight and my borderline and depression will get worse. I feel self conscious about my body now, I feel fat and my anxiety is also getting worse. Sadly I can't recommend this medication.”

Dave · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2018

“What a change in my life. My mind feels 20 again. I will do my best to eat well and watch my weight, but frankly the relief I get is worth more weight. My only concern right now is that I become sensitized to the meds and going back to what I was feeling before.”

keen2000 May 10, 2017

“I was given olanzipine for something other than my borderline personality disorder although I've not been told what. I'm on 10mg and I'm unsure whether it's the olanzipine alone, whether it's the venlafaxine I'm on or whether it's the combination of the 2, but when I fall asleep, I'm out cold. I don't turn over or move and can sleep for over a day if I don't set any alarms. But the bad thing is that when I wake up I still feel tired and worn out.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 17, 2015

“Had a few paranoid weird thoughts while weaning off slowly from 5mg to 2.5mg zyprexa. So my doc has given me some time off work and bumped up my dose to 10mg. It hasn't been long enough for me to notice a change in my thoughts just a bit less anxious.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2015

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): “I've Been on this medicine for about 4 months. Completely changed my life”

Aroehed · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 24, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Extremely helpful when used as needed for extreme rage or fear, it re-balances my perspective and helps me keep in touch with reality. However when I used Zyprexa daily it did not help as much.”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder