User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

"The side effect have taken over"

Lucious April 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Its good for preventing psychosis. The only side effects I am having is I sleep a lot and can't control poop for long and end up pooping in my pants sometimes. Btw I am taking this medication for one year."

Gaurav Rai April 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given olanzapine 2.5mg six days ago. I already take 40mg prozac. I think I've tried every med going for anxiety and depression and I haven't responded well to any of them. I started taken meds about 9yrs ago...after 6 days I've done a lot of crying and feeling strange, a lot of negative things but I am willing to persevere as two positive things have happened. I can eat dinner where as before I could barely eat a thing and I seem to be feeling motivation just in a small way but thats a massive improvement on sleeping all day as I couldn't face getting up and another day. I'm hoping this med will give me my life back, although anxiety feels worse and irritible and a bit snappy...."

curly72 February 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Definitely relieved morning anxiety attacks. I'm also taking Effexor and Klonopin. I take the Zyprexa at night because it does make me sleepy. I wasn't eating anything at all before starting this drug, so I'm not worried yet about the weight gain; I'm not overdoing it with the food. I don't plan to be on this for long; my doctor told me it's not really a maintenance medication. But if it gets me through the Holidays and my horrible anxiety about work, I'm fine with that."

Maxiemar December 23, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this drug for a manic episode. I was given 15 mg. which did wipe out the mania. Now I'm on the other side, the depressed side. I asked for prozac but the doctors insisted that a low dose of olanzapine would stabilize the depression. My depression is reactive: i sold my house and moved to another state to be closer to my job. I have hardly any friends here as I'm starting over. It remains to be seen if this low dose at 2.5 mg. will help with the depression."

Larasue November 20, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "In 2010 I take Zyprexa 20mg for 2 months. Now I manage to eat one meal a day cause I got diarrhea up to 5 times per day. I'm surprise to be alive. I hate so much what Zyprexa did to me cause it's so awful."

piceli (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 5, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "For a few days its take major energy at 2.5 mg, but later its make me ever tired and sleepy. I don't know what this drug work."

Unexist October 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On this drug which I've taken for a just a few weeks, I have now developed a chipmunk memory. I can barely remember anything past 3 or 4 seconds, and I feel as though I almost can't think or hear my own voice in my head. Hopefully these effects will change when I'm off it, but as of right now, I don't feel quite normal yet."

Mola12 October 21, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had severe depression and was told by the psychiatrist that I also have psychosis. Was given 2.5mg of olanzapine. Maybe it helped with psychosis a bit but it made me even more depressed because I kept gaining weight, started to think slower, my vocabulary decreased and I found it difficult to express myself or make jokes. Started to have difficulties with doing my job and comprehending new information. Olanzapine really slows down your cognitive abilities and information processing! I found the benefits not worth the drawbacks and stopped taking it. Now I am taking Cytomel and it has been helping me much more - lost all the weight that I gained, have much more energy during the day, back to normal thinking abilities."

ayahuasca (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been off and on this drug for years. It's extremely effective and fast acting, unlike the other psychotropics. It's a powerful med and should only be used sparingly. I'm not schizophrenic or have bipolar but I have some kind of delusional problem; I might have borderline personality disorder, and growing up they thought I might have asberger's, but I'm very social? Mental illness has affected my life, (in a bad way), since I was 15. I've had multiple intentional drug overdoses and tried to hang myself, (not by trying to break my neck). My last suicide attempt happened because I went off 20 mg's a night, cold turkey. That paired with my infatuation with this girl that doesn't ever think about me, caused me to hit rock bottom."

Matt hyer (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 47 and have had classic depression and anxiety since my early 20's. Been on citalopram, fluoxetine, marititizapam and now sertraline. Also have dizapam as a back up. This year has been extremely difficult no major incidents but my depression was changing from day to day. No ups but plenty of downs. Finally couldnt cope and pressured the dr to give me something for mood swings in addition to my sertraline. I can say I have felt the best I ever had in 20 years!!!! My mood before was a 4/10 and now its a 7/10 which is great for me. I even seem to get excited about life which I havent done for years. It does make me hungry but I dont care as this so far is a life saver. Also gives me a very dry mouth so need lots of water."

neil dicko August 29, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug was prescribed to me for depression and anxiety, but it had an unexpected effect. I simply cannot stop eating. I eat the entire day, and right after I finish eating a full meal, I feel hungry as if I hadn't eaten anything, so I eat again and again. I have gained 9 kg in less than 3 weeks and I am loving it. People always make fun of me because I'm skinny, I never thought a psychiatric drug could fix this.. I am so happy when I look in the mirror. Olanzapine is the best drug if you are a skinny ectomorph who struggles with lack of appetite."

Eduardo81 August 23, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on pretty much everything for anxiety. Had olanzapine 2.5mg which I started taking for a sedative. I currently blacked out and broke my jaw while having panic attack which lead me to pass out and smash my jaw so i cant eat or gain weight which drew me to this med as I had taking it before but didnt like the weight gain. Its been 2 years since Ive been on it and its a smaller dose aswell(used to be on 5mg twice a day). Makes me feel like any other antipycotics, hungry tired groggy ect but it does work for anxiety. I think when Im finally able to eat again il go off this med and back on benzos (as i dont want the weight gain) which i think are the best for anxiety although highly addictive and not to be abused!! GAD/Panic Disorder"

Arimez August 18, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Good at what its made to treat but you gain weight even on 2.5. You may as well walk around stoned on anything higher as you eyes go glassy and you get very tired."

Dermot (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This med is the only thing I tried that worked for my anxiety and depression. It might just be the way my brain is made, but every other antidepressant I tried made me worse or caused reactions. Anti-psychotics however help me. I've been taking olanzapine for a year and haven't noticed much side effect, no weight gain at all. It doesn't completely cure my depression, but I feel much better. Dr. suggested that I take a higher dose, but I'm a bit worried about diabetes."

y-thingy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Started taking 2.5 mg Zyprexia a day 3 days ago. For years have taken 60 mg Celexa, .5 mg Clonazepam, and ( .5 mg Xanax if I need for emergency panic attack) They worked well until 6 years ago, my husband died, a year later my dad died.Two years after my dad passed his wife died, then 4mo. later my son, who had Downs Syndrome died on the operating table. I was really going into a deep black hole by then but it just got worse. A friend of 25 yrs died of cancer not even a year after my son. I can really feel a difference in just 3 days. No crying so far, been outside and to the store without panic attacks. Sleep really well. So far eating hasn't been a problem, have lots of energy, and just feel better. Hoping for a new lease on life!"

jpurplelady (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Started up Zyprexa 5mg along with 80mg of Prozac and 200 mg of lamctiI don't remember the last time I have felt this good.My family feels like they are living with a different person.I feel like a different person.My does of Prozac was upped and the lamctiI the same day they added Zyprexa.I feel wonderful but gaining weight.Even if my stomach feels full and bloated I sometimes still want to eat.Afraid to stop the Zyprexa because my life was a living hell for me and everybody in it.I never want to go back there.I could not survive such a deep dark depression again.I used to believe all the good years were gone and I was just existing.But I am living and loving it!!!!But extremely worried about the weight gain.Already have type 2 diabetes."

wildcats7 May 3, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was on Zyprexa from Mar 2015 till Aug 2015. At first it seemed like it was mellowing me out a bit, and I could sleep through the whole night, which was an improvement. After a few months I noticed my depression was getting much worse. Came off the drug cold turkey, and went through one of the most serious withdrawals one could face. Depression, severe anxiety, PTSD, night terrors took over. To this day Apr 2016, I have still not returned to the way I was before I started taking this horrible drug. Depression and anxiety are still bad, not as bad as 6 mos ago, but still worse than when I first started taking it. I'm convinced this drug can cause permanent brain damage."

rb1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took 3mgs of olanzapine every night for five years. This med worked like magic for a couple years, then I started having severe memory issues. This is when I found out the hard way, that quitting this medication without suffering is not possible. So I decided to taper slowly over a period of 6 more months. Even then, after tapering to almost nothing before quitting completely, I had anxiety, liquid stools, confusion, and severe memory problems."

Symbyax Hell February 4, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The medication treated my bipolar disorder and PTSD wonderfully. I was happy with no real manic episodes or episodes of depression. Recently I have started sleep walking on the medication and it is scary. I get out of bed to go to the bathroom and fall asleep walking there and don't remember what I did. I have fallen asleep standing up and awaken falling backwards. I have started barricading myself in the room so as not to be of a problem to my housemates. I have reported the sleep walking to my mental health clinic but they say it is not a known side effect. I sleep for 4 hours and I am manic for 12. What a life. I am going back on it tonight because the manic episodes are getting worse. I asked for help with this problem for a week."

majorthom February 3, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug did horrible damaged my life! When I went on this medication, no one told me I would gain 60 pounds in a matter of months! I would have never gone on it. Even after getting off the drug I could not loose that weight. Fortunately, after 10 years, a doctor suggested testosterone therapy in hopes it would take the weight off. It was a miracle! I lost about 45 lbs. BUT I also lost 10 years of my life. Now I have permanent damage to my skin. Excess skin on my face and body after I lost the weight. The doctors tell me it won't return to its original state because I gained the weight so fast. I was a zombie while on the drug. Don't let your loved ones take it! I want to cry when I look in the mirror at my body now!"

ColoradoMike (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I loved zyprexa just in 1 week, my friends surprising me (u have been fat) (u look great) I gained 4kg just in 1 week I'm underweight 60kg and I'm continuing zyprexa 5mg happily :)"

Kurdishboy December 29, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Made me feel emotionless and numb... Got constipated pooping pellets. Barely peeing ..dehydrated.. Sudden pimples the kind that won't go away.. Missed period for someone whose never missed a period .. Weight gain.. Stubborn weight. I'm all ugly now.. Possible uti culprit Stopped taking it without doctors support fucking psychiatrist is stupid... and all my problems disappeared and I'm much happier.. Would reccomended people not take it .. Cons outweigh the pros for me."

Akshitha1717 December 21, 2015

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"works!"

Jagger S November 16, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Sure this med can keep depression at bay but it can also cause some really horrible side effects. After being on this med for 1 yr I went from being a healthy 170 lbs (women's size 12) to 250 lbs (size 20). It made me so lethargic and tired. I would sleep for 14 hours a day and still be dragging out of bed. About 2 months ago was the final straw. I got blood work done by my GP and my triglycerides were through the roof as well as elevated blood sugar. The doc was ready to put me on meds for diabetes! I'm only 25 and I just wanted my health back so last week I went to a new doc who got me off this horrible stuff. I feel like a new person without this toxic med in my body. Now on Viibryd."

beedoose November 4, 2015