User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

"I've been off and on this drug for years. It's extremely effective and fast acting, unlike the other psychotropics. It's a powerful med and should only be used sparingly. I'm not schizophrenic or have bipolar but I have some kind of delusional problem; I might have borderline personality disorder, and growing up they thought I might have asberger's, but I'm very social? Mental illness has affected my life, (in a bad way), since I was 15. I've had multiple intentional drug overdoses and tried to hang myself, (not by trying to break my neck). My last suicide attempt happened because I went off 20 mg's a night, cold turkey. That paired with my infatuation with this girl that doesn't ever think about me, caused me to hit rock bottom."

Matt hyer (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2016

"I'm 47 and have had classic depression and anxiety since my early 20's. Been on citalopram, fluoxetine, marititizapam and now sertraline. Also have dizapam as a back up. This year has been extremely difficult no major incidents but my depression was changing from day to day. No ups but plenty of downs. Finally couldnt cope and pressured the dr to give me something for mood swings in addition to my sertraline. I can say I have felt the best I ever had in 20 years!!!! My mood before was a 4/10 and now its a 7/10 which is great for me. I even seem to get excited about life which I havent done for years. It does make me hungry but I dont care as this so far is a life saver. Also gives me a very dry mouth so need lots of water."

neil dicko August 29, 2016

"This drug was prescribed to me for depression and anxiety, but it had an unexpected effect. I simply cannot stop eating. I eat the entire day, and right after I finish eating a full meal, I feel hungry as if I hadn't eaten anything, so I eat again and again. I have gained 9 kg in less than 3 weeks and I am loving it. People always make fun of me because I'm skinny, I never thought a psychiatric drug could fix this.. I am so happy when I look in the mirror. Olanzapine is the best drug if you are a skinny ectomorph who struggles with lack of appetite."

Eduardo81 August 23, 2016

"I've been on pretty much everything for anxiety. Had olanzapine 2.5mg which I started taking for a sedative. I currently blacked out and broke my jaw while having panic attack which lead me to pass out and smash my jaw so i cant eat or gain weight which drew me to this med as I had taking it before but didnt like the weight gain. Its been 2 years since Ive been on it and its a smaller dose aswell(used to be on 5mg twice a day). Makes me feel like any other antipycotics, hungry tired groggy ect but it does work for anxiety. I think when Im finally able to eat again il go off this med and back on benzos (as i dont want the weight gain) which i think are the best for anxiety although highly addictive and not to be abused!! GAD/Panic Disorder"

Arimez August 18, 2016

"Good at what its made to treat but you gain weight even on 2.5. You may as well walk around stoned on anything higher as you eyes go glassy and you get very tired."

Dermot (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2016

"This med is the only thing I tried that worked for my anxiety and depression. It might just be the way my brain is made, but every other antidepressant I tried made me worse or caused reactions. Anti-psychotics however help me. I've been taking olanzapine for a year and haven't noticed much side effect, no weight gain at all. It doesn't completely cure my depression, but I feel much better. Dr. suggested that I take a higher dose, but I'm a bit worried about diabetes."

y-thingy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Started taking 2.5 mg Zyprexia a day 3 days ago. For years have taken 60 mg Celexa, .5 mg Clonazepam, and ( .5 mg Xanax if I need for emergency panic attack) They worked well until 6 years ago, my husband died, a year later my dad died.Two years after my dad passed his wife died, then 4mo. later my son, who had Downs Syndrome died on the operating table. I was really going into a deep black hole by then but it just got worse. A friend of 25 yrs died of cancer not even a year after my son. I can really feel a difference in just 3 days. No crying so far, been outside and to the store without panic attacks. Sleep really well. So far eating hasn't been a problem, have lots of energy, and just feel better. Hoping for a new lease on life!"

jpurplelady (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Started up Zyprexa 5mg along with 80mg of Prozac and 200 mg of lamctiI don't remember the last time I have felt this good.My family feels like they are living with a different person.I feel like a different person.My does of Prozac was upped and the lamctiI the same day they added Zyprexa.I feel wonderful but gaining weight.Even if my stomach feels full and bloated I sometimes still want to eat.Afraid to stop the Zyprexa because my life was a living hell for me and everybody in it.I never want to go back there.I could not survive such a deep dark depression again.I used to believe all the good years were gone and I was just existing.But I am living and loving it!!!!But extremely worried about the weight gain.Already have type 2 diabetes."

wildcats7 May 3, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was on Zyprexa from Mar 2015 till Aug 2015. At first it seemed like it was mellowing me out a bit, and I could sleep through the whole night, which was an improvement. After a few months I noticed my depression was getting much worse. Came off the drug cold turkey, and went through one of the most serious withdrawals one could face. Depression, severe anxiety, PTSD, night terrors took over. To this day Apr 2016, I have still not returned to the way I was before I started taking this horrible drug. Depression and anxiety are still bad, not as bad as 6 mos ago, but still worse than when I first started taking it. I'm convinced this drug can cause permanent brain damage."

rb1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

"I took 3mgs of olanzapine every night for five years. This med worked like magic for a couple years, then I started having severe memory issues. This is when I found out the hard way, that quitting this medication without suffering is not possible. So I decided to taper slowly over a period of 6 more months. Even then, after tapering to almost nothing before quitting completely, I had anxiety, liquid stools, confusion, and severe memory problems."

Symbyax Hell February 4, 2016

"The medication treated my bipolar disorder and PTSD wonderfully. I was happy with no real manic episodes or episodes of depression. Recently I have started sleep walking on the medication and it is scary. I get out of bed to go to the bathroom and fall asleep walking there and don't remember what I did. I have fallen asleep standing up and awaken falling backwards. I have started barricading myself in the room so as not to be of a problem to my housemates. I have reported the sleep walking to my mental health clinic but they say it is not a known side effect. I sleep for 4 hours and I am manic for 12. What a life. I am going back on it tonight because the manic episodes are getting worse. I asked for help with this problem for a week."

majorthom February 3, 2016

"This drug did horrible damaged my life! When I went on this medication, no one told me I would gain 60 pounds in a matter of months! I would have never gone on it. Even after getting off the drug I could not loose that weight. Fortunately, after 10 years, a doctor suggested testosterone therapy in hopes it would take the weight off. It was a miracle! I lost about 45 lbs. BUT I also lost 10 years of my life. Now I have permanent damage to my skin. Excess skin on my face and body after I lost the weight. The doctors tell me it won't return to its original state because I gained the weight so fast. I was a zombie while on the drug. Don't let your loved ones take it! I want to cry when I look in the mirror at my body now!"

ColoradoMike (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

"I loved zyprexa just in 1 week, my friends surprising me (u have been fat) (u look great) I gained 4kg just in 1 week I'm underweight 60kg and I'm continuing zyprexa 5mg happily :)"

Kurdishboy December 29, 2015

"Made me feel emotionless and numb... Got constipated pooping pellets. Barely peeing ..dehydrated.. Sudden pimples the kind that won't go away.. Missed period for someone whose never missed a period .. Weight gain.. Stubborn weight. I'm all ugly now.. Possible uti culprit Stopped taking it without doctors support fucking psychiatrist is stupid... and all my problems disappeared and I'm much happier.. Would reccomended people not take it .. Cons outweigh the pros for me."

Akshitha1717 December 21, 2015

"works!"

Jagger S November 16, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Sure this med can keep depression at bay but it can also cause some really horrible side effects. After being on this med for 1 yr I went from being a healthy 170 lbs (women's size 12) to 250 lbs (size 20). It made me so lethargic and tired. I would sleep for 14 hours a day and still be dragging out of bed. About 2 months ago was the final straw. I got blood work done by my GP and my triglycerides were through the roof as well as elevated blood sugar. The doc was ready to put me on meds for diabetes! I'm only 25 and I just wanted my health back so last week I went to a new doc who got me off this horrible stuff. I feel like a new person without this toxic med in my body. Now on Viibryd."

beedoose November 4, 2015

"I started this with my Zoloft and klonopins about 6 days ago. I just had one set back , feel pretty good so far. I do get splitting headaches but I don't know if its from this. I'm on 5 mg at nite, & can sleep now. It causes a dry mouth, but tolerable. sleep on and off in the morning , breasts are sore and getting bigger. gonna stick this out a little longer"

mathys06 September 17, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa brought me out of a severe depression within a day or two. It has also been fairly helpful with anxiety/panic attacks. Unfortunately, I have gained over 40lbs and never feel full. It has also increased my cholesterol and fasting blood sugars. I've also noticed I don't have much energy or drive. Due to the metabolic issues my doctor wants me to try latuda."

Anonymous July 26, 2015

"Zyprexa has given me my life back in 4 weeks! I have the worst panic attacks ever, anorexia and chronic nausea!! I have been on every medication under the sun with no relief, if not worse nausea because of the side effects of all the medications. I was on Klonopin, propranolol, hydroxyzine, and zofran every single day and I was still having really bad nausea and panic attacks so bad, I could not leave my house. Dr. prescribed Zyprexa 5mg and after 3 days, I started eating again. I have already gained 2 lbs but I needed to because I was so nauseated I couldn't eat. I'm so excited that I can eat again without feeling like I'm going to vomit!! I hope it doesn't "poop-out" on me bc It's been a miracle!!"

Shyllie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication has made me unemotional and boring and like many others I'm forever hungry. I have put on an insane amount of weight, admittedly needed, due to suffering anorexia, but when I started on this medication I weighed 37kg and 6 months later nearly doubled to 65 kg. This I feel is an unnatural weight gain in such a short time, and now I don't go out due to feeling bad about how I look."

Chook123 July 20, 2015

"Olanzapine is great for bringing down a manic episode but can hinder recovery as it made me feel so depressed. On 2.5 mg and going to come off as it makes me so low and depressed. I sleep for about 15 hrs and have no interest in anything. It's helped with my anxiety but would rather feel anxious than live with the depression I am counting down the minutes till the day is over. Previous have done this and have felt better within days, longest I've stayed on it this time but also longest I've felt depressed. Will let you know how I get on"

Robin Redbreast June 20, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I am in shock as to the MIRACLE of Olanzipine. A 2 year severe depression, with extreme anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia DISAPEARED the first week on this medicine. Before, my depression was so bad, I stopped brushing my hair, I could barely function, my sadness so profound. After 1 week on Zyprexa, I am finally back to myself, taking good care of myself, sadness is 90% gone, smiling again!"

TheGoodWife42 March 22, 2015

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Olanzapine give me really bad palpitations and anxiety was taking 20 milligrams a day so came off them."

cindyuk3 March 5, 2015

"This medication has been a life saver for me. After suffering severe situational depression and 3 serious suicide attempts I was put on 5mg. It took away anxiety. I'm also on venalafaxine, which just wasn't enough for me. I have not put on weight and eat healthy. I have tried to come of and anxiety and low mood came back."

joyouschris (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I don't have as many crying spells as I used to."

Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015