User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv

Olanzapine has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 115 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 40% of those users who reviewed Olanzapine reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

17% 19
5% 6
31% 36

Reviews for Olanzapine

Mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2021

“Have taken olanapine 2.5 mg with prozac 20 mg for years. For last month have quit prozac and just been taking olanzapine. From what I can tell the olanzapine has been what has made me happier and stabilized my mood and quit ruminating thought. So far so good. I have gained weight but not sure it's the drug. I am just going to continue the olanzapine. I like it. And way cheaper than prozac...so far I am singing in my car and happy...”

Geoffrey February 26, 2021

“I was prescribed 2.5 mg of this medication for sedation. I took it roughly for a week and it caused my hunger to skyrocket. I stopped it and my otherwise mild depression has become unbearable. I am crying and scared. Never felt this bad ever before. I was so better. Hope this ends someday and I am back to my previous self. I am not the only one with such an experience. Can anyone with similar experience please share how long the worsened depression last ?”

Geoffrey · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

Bee · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Was given this for agitation along with severe panic/borderline psychotic anxiety and paranoia in the psych hospital, I’ve gained some weight and am tired but I wouldn’t trade my mood stability for the world. I still struggle with severe depression on top of having chronic fatigue syndrome and do hope to be put back on a stimulant for that, but I am overall very pleased with where my head is at. If you struggle with severe mental illness unresponsive to the usual first-line treatments or severe panic, agitation, and insomnia, this may help a lot, even if short term or as an as-needed basis. Am also taking 100mg desipramine plus 10mg lexapro for major depression, and 50mg trazadone and vistaril as needed for anxiety. I am myself again partially thanks to this medicine.”

audhep79 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “After reading the reviews, I was hesitant to start Zyprexa, but I was at rock bottom with my central nervous system. Let me tell you, 2.5mg has saved my life. I have CRPS and severe anxiety. It calms down the mind, calms the severe anxiety, and makes me sleep at night. I’ve had no side effects from this med. it really is a life saver. Don’t be afraid to start this medicine if you really need it.”

Doc · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

“Took it for only 9 days and slept great which I needed badly but now have awful dizziness from it and the room is spinning and withdrawals are horrible Stay away!!!”

Knackered · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2020

“Took olanzapine for 7 days at 5mg and then 5 days at 2.5 mgs. Developed severe immune intolerance to it with aching pain in lymph nodes and swelling of my face. Decided to just stop the drug yesterday. Hope I don’t suffer withdrawal after such a short time. Terrible drug.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 2, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa work pretty well for me for a good year. It help with my OCD and anxiety and it made me feel the most happy and normal I ever felt. It help with intrusive thoughts and obsessive thinking. I hope it helps again when I start it back up.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2020

“Olanzapine at first made me so sedated I couldn't function well but it was better then my racing thoughts anxiety / depression from it all. Olanzapine calmed my mind eventually. I've messed with the dose a couple times but I've been on it now for almost a month. No weight gain, I think my hair is thinning a bit but that could also be due to stress from being anxious 24/7 . I also take 20mg of Prozac as well which I'm in the beginning 3 weeks of taking it and my anxiety has soared hoping all of my anxious goes away or at least manageable so I can function normally and irrational thoughts and fears go away. I will be posting again after I've been on both medications for a month or so. Hopefully this helps other people! Also PS when my Olanzapine dose went down I had terrible shaking did anyone else on here have that ?”

Deewitt · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 8, 2020

“I have been on Olanzapine for about 3 years and now I’m weaning off the medicine since April of 2020. At first I was feeling ok but when I was completely off the medicine, I experienced terrible withdrawal symptoms. I’m dealing with nausea, restlessness and terrible insomnia. Don’t get on this med!! Read about olanzapine before you start taking it.”

deos October 28, 2020

“I'm on olanazapine for anxiety and depression. Anyone struggle to cope with the increased dose. Started on 5mg but can't get above 10mg”

MEKP · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2020

“Olanzapine was prescribed for my Dad. He has dementia and is depressed and agitated. After just a few weeks he ended up in the hospital vomiting and unable to eat. The drug had stopped his bowels from working. He had to have a tube suck out the blockages. It took over a week for things to even begin to get normal. This is a horrible drug.”

Anonymous September 27, 2020

“Had a very bad effect with olanzapine with had hair loss. I don't know if anyone had this effect but for me it was really bad. I trying to stop on olanzapine now, waiting for the dr to prescribe something else. I had weight gain too. I wish I can continue with it but unfortunately has to stop. Had anyone experience hair fall please advise.”

Merc September 7, 2020

“This drug has absolutely ruined my life. Was on 2.5mg for approximately 1 year. During that year, I slept all day, felt like a robot, had zero motivation and was horribly depressed. I managed to get off. The first 2 months of withdrawal I had severe insomnia, severe anxiety, severe depression. Also have complete anhedonia. I have have lost the ability to feel joy or happiness. I'm chronically fatigued. I have suicidal thoughts on a daily basis. The worst part is the akathisia. I can't even put into words what akathisia feels like. I'm am in shock, every day, that these pharmaceuticals companies are giving these drugs out. It is so horrible and sad to see others like myself suffering in such a way. PLS! Do not allow yourself or loved ones to go anywhere near these drugs. They will ruin your life. I am now off olanzapine for 7 months with no end to the suffering in sight.”

Dunco · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 9, 2020

“I used 5mg of olanzapine every day for the past 8 months and when I read a little more about it, I decided it wasn't for me. I have been tapering for about 6 weeks and I have now been off it for 12 days and my withdrawal symptoms are so bad I can't do daily things. I look like even canceling my golf game...it is the pits and together with an enlarged Prostate, I get no sleep and feel sick all day. I don't eat much as I don't feel like anything and all I can hope is that these withdrawal symptoms go away SOON. I wish my Dr. would've told me about these issues BEFORE prescribing it to me.”

Nikkipixi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 26, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa made me have hallucinations the first 4 nights I had taken it. (Cray, scary) Then they stopped. I gained a good amount of weight (but that didn't matter because I was extremely overweight) So this med basically saved my life. I don't feel 100% better off of it but I do recommend that it's a decent drug. I've tried SO MANY meds and there are some many more worse ones than this.”

rex May 9, 2020

“Lexapro 10 mg and 2.5 olanzapine is good for MDD and generalised anxiety disorder. It takes away fear and panic. weight loss stabilizes with long term use and tiredness becomes less an issue.”

Missy626 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 5, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I've been on zyprexa for 9 months now, zyprexa has done wonders for me. No more spontaneous deep dark days ahead of me, my close family can really see a difference, I'm just worried about long term effects of this drug. I have bipolar 1 with psychosis.”

Sky25 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 25, 2020

“My Dr. (The expert) prescribed this for me when I was suffering with agitation and anxiety. I took it for 2 years and my new Dr took me off it. I put on 30kgs of weight, felt like I wanted to crawl out of my skin on a daily basis and was very irritable. But thats not the worst part. This medication permanently causes you to be DEPRESSED even after discontinuation! I've tried all types of SSRI's and SSNRI's and they simply don't work. I'm stuck in an incredibly bad depressive state, I can't laugh, I can't be happy. PLEASE, if your Dr. prescribes this to you, READ THE REVIEWS and do not take this horrible medication!”

Gigi · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 13, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “This medication Zyprexa is a miracle worker ! I was in a very deep depression, suicide thoughts. I started feeling better after just a few weeks.I have been on it 6 weeks now and its keeps getting better. The Doctor is now increase it to 10mg, I feel more tired, but that will lessen as time goes by. I feel like me again !!!”

MichaelMl · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 23, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I've found the Zyprexa very good for hearing voices and adjunct for depression.”

Emero · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was put on 17.5mg of zyprexa in 2017. I took this for 6 months before I finally decided to listen to my body and stop listening to the so called experts. Zyprexa made me dull, depressed and robotic. I now lack empathy, emotion, concentration and I no longer get pleasure from things I used to enjoy. Zyprexa zaps the joy from your life basically. There is no upside. Please please avoid this drug. It will steal your personality and nobody will believe you except for the people who have also been victims of this drug.”

Worst drug ever · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

“Olanzapine is worst drug ever. Made my depression even more severe, made me feel numb and like a vegetable. And the withdrawal period is the worst even after taking it only for 4 days!!!! Glad it's over.”

Game · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

“Hi am from Kenya that is in East Africa..I was diagnosed with depression by my doctor and put on deprex 10mg which is also a brand name for olanzapine. I took it for about 28 days, which went well, I got good sleep but after that it was a nightmare. I was getting brain fog. I tried to quit it but the withdrawals were crazy. I couldn't sleep at night, restlessness was another issue. So I self lowered to 5mg. I am not having a normal sleep, walking up a couple of times at night. Last night I took 2.5mg...am really trying to get off this garbage by tapering coz the withdrawal is unbareable ... DON'T TAKE THIS DRUG IF U LOVE URSELF N UR LIFE”

Mar4wan · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

“olanzapine is one of the best sedatives I recommend trying it, good sleep even though I wake up a little bit scared, overall It's a safe drug unlike risperidone which was a curse for me”