User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "It is very good drug .It helped me very much with obsessions and depression. I recommend it to you"

09dibbie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2018

"I was on olanzepine and fluoxetine for depression, and it helped with my depression but the olanzepine was far too sedating and made me feel emotionally numb and indifferent. I was also on Vyvanse for ADD at the time and it essentially eliminated the effect of the Vyvanse. It also increased my appetite significantly, and I ended up putting on 10lbs in a month and a half, so I stopped taking it and had no issues with any withdrawal symptoms. Overall it helped with my depression somewhat, but it didn’t give me any benefit apart from being not depressed and emotionally numb."

Sjfvry146 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2018

"I have been on this drug for the last several months on 5 mg/day. For most of my life, I have been underweight or at a healthy-weight level (work out on a regular basis). However, with this drug, I am overweight even though I am on a caloric-restricted diet. This drug initially caused a noticeable increase in suicidal thoughts and ideation as well. Eventually, it wore off for the most part. However, I no longer feel anxious but I also kinda feel "empty" inside -- I don't feel fully human, almost like a robot. I am trying to get off this medication because I felt that while it did improve my depression/anxiety - it robbed me of my motivation, personality, and a fully functional brain. My cognition has taken a noticeable decline since on this medication -- I feel like I stepped back into the 7th/8th grade, mentally. Also, short-term memory has significantly declined."

jamaas9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 14, 2018

"Olanzapine isn't as bad as it is depicted by many people here, which I guess is mostly because I've been on it only for 3 weeks and on a fairly low dose of 5 mg. The positive effects I've found are that it suppresses unnecessary and stressful circling thoughts and makes you focus on reality. On the other hand it has subtle side effects such as sleepiness and fatigue (when first taking it), weight gain (which is I guess sorta good in my case since I'm underweight) and some slight extrapyramidal symptoms and spasms. It can also make you feel emotionless like your head is empty and you keep zoning out in the middle of things. All in all I suppose this drug would be useful for some other conditions, but this one isn't for me; I think I've been misdiagnosed."

OlanUser February 10, 2018

"The mixture of fluoxetine 60mg and 5mg of olanzapine got rid of my depression in a week! I gather that this combo is very effective and thank God it worked for me. And I haven't gained any weight after two months on it. I'm very lucky in this respect because a lot of people do."

Eben007 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2018

"Taking 2.5mg Olanzapine in combination with 150mg Pristiq for moderate/severe major depressive disorder and anxiety. The combination works well for me, relieving severe depression (suicidal thoughts, delusional, panicky thinking, etc) and completely eliminates anxiety/panic attacks. The only downside I've noticed is an increase in weight, even though my calorific intake of food has not increased and I'm just as active as before."

Blookie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "My husband started zyprexa a few days ago and all he can do is sleep. Is this normal and how long will the sleepiness last"

Russfamily7 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2018

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I took this medication many years ago and gained 50 lbs in the first month of taking it. It is horrible nasty stuff and didn't do anything for my moods. I went off it after that first month."

south pole (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

"After years of trial and error with antidepressants and anxiolytics, I finally asked to try an antipsychotic. I take 10mg of olanzapine with 75mg effexor each day. The combination is quite effective compared with antidepressant mono-therapy. I wish I'd been on this combination long ago. Helps particularly with suicidal thoughts and getting a new perspective on depressive thought processes. It also starts working faster than antidepressants, which was important in my case."

Roger322 (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2017

"I have been taking olanzapine 5mg for 11 years after been admitted to a psychiatric hospital for severe depression and had electric shock treatment Have had severe side effects of this medication"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 30, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa withdrawal is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my 55 year old life. I took 2.5 mg for 6 years. Sure it helped me sleep for a few months and that is why I did not know what was causing the terrible grief and over all health problems I was experiencing. I was fainting without warning because of this drug. It ruined my life and I have not touched zyprexa in almost 2 years! It is a drug so terrible it should not be prescribed to anybody. The makers of this drug should be totally ashamed of themselves. They really should be punished for what they have done and continue doing to peoples lives with this drug. No joke."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was only on Zyprexa for 10 days but it made me so tired I couldn't even function. All I wanted to do was sleep all day. And it made my depression worse. I was so depressed by that 10th day that I almost quit my job because I just felt like I couldn't handle any stress at all. So glad I stopped taking this drug."

cmac527 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Works wonderfully for anxiety and works fast. Does help together with Prozac for depression."

Biancapixi July 10, 2017

"I started on this as I was psychotic and had severe depression. I was seeing things. This med was great after it was upped to 15 mg but now after 2 months not working so great. Luckily I'm not seeing things but no energy and weight has ballooned. I can't stop eating. So don't know what to do. Gained 70 pounds in a couple months"

Twasabug May 30, 2017

"The side effect have taken over"

Lucious April 12, 2017

"Its good for preventing psychosis. The only side effects I am having is I sleep a lot and can't control poop for long and end up pooping in my pants sometimes. Btw I am taking this medication for one year."

Gaurav Rai April 4, 2017

"I was given olanzapine 2.5mg six days ago. I already take 40mg prozac. I think I've tried every med going for anxiety and depression and I haven't responded well to any of them. I started taken meds about 9yrs ago...after 6 days I've done a lot of crying and feeling strange, a lot of negative things but I am willing to persevere as two positive things have happened. I can eat dinner where as before I could barely eat a thing and I seem to be feeling motivation just in a small way but thats a massive improvement on sleeping all day as I couldn't face getting up and another day. I'm hoping this med will give me my life back, although anxiety feels worse and irritible and a bit snappy...."

curly72 February 6, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Definitely relieved morning anxiety attacks. I'm also taking Effexor and Klonopin. I take the Zyprexa at night because it does make me sleepy. I wasn't eating anything at all before starting this drug, so I'm not worried yet about the weight gain; I'm not overdoing it with the food. I don't plan to be on this for long; my doctor told me it's not really a maintenance medication. But if it gets me through the Holidays and my horrible anxiety about work, I'm fine with that."

Maxiemar December 23, 2016

"I've been on this drug for a manic episode. I was given 15 mg. which did wipe out the mania. Now I'm on the other side, the depressed side. I asked for prozac but the doctors insisted that a low dose of olanzapine would stabilize the depression. My depression is reactive: i sold my house and moved to another state to be closer to my job. I have hardly any friends here as I'm starting over. It remains to be seen if this low dose at 2.5 mg. will help with the depression."

Larasue November 20, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "In 2010 I take Zyprexa 20mg for 2 months. Now I manage to eat one meal a day cause I got diarrhea up to 5 times per day. I'm surprise to be alive. I hate so much what Zyprexa did to me cause it's so awful."

piceli (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 5, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "For a few days its take major energy at 2.5 mg, but later its make me ever tired and sleepy. I don't know what this drug work."

Unexist October 25, 2016

"On this drug which I've taken for a just a few weeks, I have now developed a chipmunk memory. I can barely remember anything past 3 or 4 seconds, and I feel as though I almost can't think or hear my own voice in my head. Hopefully these effects will change when I'm off it, but as of right now, I don't feel quite normal yet."

Mola12 October 21, 2016

"I had severe depression and was told by the psychiatrist that I also have psychosis. Was given 2.5mg of olanzapine. Maybe it helped with psychosis a bit but it made me even more depressed because I kept gaining weight, started to think slower, my vocabulary decreased and I found it difficult to express myself or make jokes. Started to have difficulties with doing my job and comprehending new information. Olanzapine really slows down your cognitive abilities and information processing! I found the benefits not worth the drawbacks and stopped taking it. Now I am taking Cytomel and it has been helping me much more - lost all the weight that I gained, have much more energy during the day, back to normal thinking abilities."

ayahuasca (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2016

"I've been off and on this drug for years. It's extremely effective and fast acting, unlike the other psychotropics. It's a powerful med and should only be used sparingly. I'm not schizophrenic or have bipolar but I have some kind of delusional problem; I might have borderline personality disorder, and growing up they thought I might have asberger's, but I'm very social? Mental illness has affected my life, (in a bad way), since I was 15. I've had multiple intentional drug overdoses and tried to hang myself, (not by trying to break my neck). My last suicide attempt happened because I went off 20 mg's a night, cold turkey. That paired with my infatuation with this girl that doesn't ever think about me, caused me to hit rock bottom."

Matt hyer (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2016

"I'm 47 and have had classic depression and anxiety since my early 20's. Been on citalopram, fluoxetine, marititizapam and now sertraline. Also have dizapam as a back up. This year has been extremely difficult no major incidents but my depression was changing from day to day. No ups but plenty of downs. Finally couldnt cope and pressured the dr to give me something for mood swings in addition to my sertraline. I can say I have felt the best I ever had in 20 years!!!! My mood before was a 4/10 and now its a 7/10 which is great for me. I even seem to get excited about life which I havent done for years. It does make me hungry but I dont care as this so far is a life saver. Also gives me a very dry mouth so need lots of water."

neil dicko August 29, 2016