User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa withdrawal is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my 55 year old life. I took 2.5 mg for 6 years. Sure it helped me sleep for a few months and that is why I did not know what was causing the terrible grief and over all health problems I was experiencing. I was fainting without warning because of this drug. It ruined my life and I have not touched zyprexa in almost 2 years! It is a drug so terrible it should not be prescribed to anybody. The makers of this drug should be totally ashamed of themselves. They really should be punished for what they have done and continue doing to peoples lives with this drug. No joke."

Ed McLendon (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was only on Zyprexa for 10 days but it made me so tired I couldn't even function. All I wanted to do was sleep all day. And it made my depression worse. I was so depressed by that 10th day that I almost quit my job because I just felt like I couldn't handle any stress at all. So glad I stopped taking this drug."

cmac527 (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Works wonderfully for anxiety and works fast. Does help together with Prozac for depression."

Biancapixi July 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on this as I was psychotic and had severe depression. I was seeing things. This med was great after it was upped to 15 mg but now after 2 months not working so great. Luckily I'm not seeing things but no energy and weight has ballooned. I can't stop eating. So don't know what to do. Gained 70 pounds in a couple months"

Twasabug May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The side effect have taken over"

Lucious April 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Its good for preventing psychosis. The only side effects I am having is I sleep a lot and can't control poop for long and end up pooping in my pants sometimes. Btw I am taking this medication for one year."

Gaurav Rai April 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given olanzapine 2.5mg six days ago. I already take 40mg prozac. I think I've tried every med going for anxiety and depression and I haven't responded well to any of them. I started taken meds about 9yrs ago...after 6 days I've done a lot of crying and feeling strange, a lot of negative things but I am willing to persevere as two positive things have happened. I can eat dinner where as before I could barely eat a thing and I seem to be feeling motivation just in a small way but thats a massive improvement on sleeping all day as I couldn't face getting up and another day. I'm hoping this med will give me my life back, although anxiety feels worse and irritible and a bit snappy...."

curly72 February 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Definitely relieved morning anxiety attacks. I'm also taking Effexor and Klonopin. I take the Zyprexa at night because it does make me sleepy. I wasn't eating anything at all before starting this drug, so I'm not worried yet about the weight gain; I'm not overdoing it with the food. I don't plan to be on this for long; my doctor told me it's not really a maintenance medication. But if it gets me through the Holidays and my horrible anxiety about work, I'm fine with that."

Maxiemar December 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this drug for a manic episode. I was given 15 mg. which did wipe out the mania. Now I'm on the other side, the depressed side. I asked for prozac but the doctors insisted that a low dose of olanzapine would stabilize the depression. My depression is reactive: i sold my house and moved to another state to be closer to my job. I have hardly any friends here as I'm starting over. It remains to be seen if this low dose at 2.5 mg. will help with the depression."

Larasue November 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "In 2010 I take Zyprexa 20mg for 2 months. Now I manage to eat one meal a day cause I got diarrhea up to 5 times per day. I'm surprise to be alive. I hate so much what Zyprexa did to me cause it's so awful."

piceli (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "For a few days its take major energy at 2.5 mg, but later its make me ever tired and sleepy. I don't know what this drug work."

Unexist October 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On this drug which I've taken for a just a few weeks, I have now developed a chipmunk memory. I can barely remember anything past 3 or 4 seconds, and I feel as though I almost can't think or hear my own voice in my head. Hopefully these effects will change when I'm off it, but as of right now, I don't feel quite normal yet."

Mola12 October 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had severe depression and was told by the psychiatrist that I also have psychosis. Was given 2.5mg of olanzapine. Maybe it helped with psychosis a bit but it made me even more depressed because I kept gaining weight, started to think slower, my vocabulary decreased and I found it difficult to express myself or make jokes. Started to have difficulties with doing my job and comprehending new information. Olanzapine really slows down your cognitive abilities and information processing! I found the benefits not worth the drawbacks and stopped taking it. Now I am taking Cytomel and it has been helping me much more - lost all the weight that I gained, have much more energy during the day, back to normal thinking abilities."

ayahuasca (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been off and on this drug for years. It's extremely effective and fast acting, unlike the other psychotropics. It's a powerful med and should only be used sparingly. I'm not schizophrenic or have bipolar but I have some kind of delusional problem; I might have borderline personality disorder, and growing up they thought I might have asberger's, but I'm very social? Mental illness has affected my life, (in a bad way), since I was 15. I've had multiple intentional drug overdoses and tried to hang myself, (not by trying to break my neck). My last suicide attempt happened because I went off 20 mg's a night, cold turkey. That paired with my infatuation with this girl that doesn't ever think about me, caused me to hit rock bottom."

Matt hyer (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 47 and have had classic depression and anxiety since my early 20's. Been on citalopram, fluoxetine, marititizapam and now sertraline. Also have dizapam as a back up. This year has been extremely difficult no major incidents but my depression was changing from day to day. No ups but plenty of downs. Finally couldnt cope and pressured the dr to give me something for mood swings in addition to my sertraline. I can say I have felt the best I ever had in 20 years!!!! My mood before was a 4/10 and now its a 7/10 which is great for me. I even seem to get excited about life which I havent done for years. It does make me hungry but I dont care as this so far is a life saver. Also gives me a very dry mouth so need lots of water."

neil dicko August 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug was prescribed to me for depression and anxiety, but it had an unexpected effect. I simply cannot stop eating. I eat the entire day, and right after I finish eating a full meal, I feel hungry as if I hadn't eaten anything, so I eat again and again. I have gained 9 kg in less than 3 weeks and I am loving it. People always make fun of me because I'm skinny, I never thought a psychiatric drug could fix this.. I am so happy when I look in the mirror. Olanzapine is the best drug if you are a skinny ectomorph who struggles with lack of appetite."

Eduardo81 August 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on pretty much everything for anxiety. Had olanzapine 2.5mg which I started taking for a sedative. I currently blacked out and broke my jaw while having panic attack which lead me to pass out and smash my jaw so i cant eat or gain weight which drew me to this med as I had taking it before but didnt like the weight gain. Its been 2 years since Ive been on it and its a smaller dose aswell(used to be on 5mg twice a day). Makes me feel like any other antipycotics, hungry tired groggy ect but it does work for anxiety. I think when Im finally able to eat again il go off this med and back on benzos (as i dont want the weight gain) which i think are the best for anxiety although highly addictive and not to be abused!! GAD/Panic Disorder"

Arimez August 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Good at what its made to treat but you gain weight even on 2.5. You may as well walk around stoned on anything higher as you eyes go glassy and you get very tired."

Dermot (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med is the only thing I tried that worked for my anxiety and depression. It might just be the way my brain is made, but every other antidepressant I tried made me worse or caused reactions. Anti-psychotics however help me. I've been taking olanzapine for a year and haven't noticed much side effect, no weight gain at all. It doesn't completely cure my depression, but I feel much better. Dr. suggested that I take a higher dose, but I'm a bit worried about diabetes."

y-thingy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Started taking 2.5 mg Zyprexia a day 3 days ago. For years have taken 60 mg Celexa, .5 mg Clonazepam, and ( .5 mg Xanax if I need for emergency panic attack) They worked well until 6 years ago, my husband died, a year later my dad died.Two years after my dad passed his wife died, then 4mo. later my son, who had Downs Syndrome died on the operating table. I was really going into a deep black hole by then but it just got worse. A friend of 25 yrs died of cancer not even a year after my son. I can really feel a difference in just 3 days. No crying so far, been outside and to the store without panic attacks. Sleep really well. So far eating hasn't been a problem, have lots of energy, and just feel better. Hoping for a new lease on life!"

jpurplelady (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Started up Zyprexa 5mg along with 80mg of Prozac and 200 mg of lamctiI don't remember the last time I have felt this good.My family feels like they are living with a different person.I feel like a different person.My does of Prozac was upped and the lamctiI the same day they added Zyprexa.I feel wonderful but gaining weight.Even if my stomach feels full and bloated I sometimes still want to eat.Afraid to stop the Zyprexa because my life was a living hell for me and everybody in it.I never want to go back there.I could not survive such a deep dark depression again.I used to believe all the good years were gone and I was just existing.But I am living and loving it!!!!But extremely worried about the weight gain.Already have type 2 diabetes."

wildcats7 May 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was on Zyprexa from Mar 2015 till Aug 2015. At first it seemed like it was mellowing me out a bit, and I could sleep through the whole night, which was an improvement. After a few months I noticed my depression was getting much worse. Came off the drug cold turkey, and went through one of the most serious withdrawals one could face. Depression, severe anxiety, PTSD, night terrors took over. To this day Apr 2016, I have still not returned to the way I was before I started taking this horrible drug. Depression and anxiety are still bad, not as bad as 6 mos ago, but still worse than when I first started taking it. I'm convinced this drug can cause permanent brain damage."

rb1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took 3mgs of olanzapine every night for five years. This med worked like magic for a couple years, then I started having severe memory issues. This is when I found out the hard way, that quitting this medication without suffering is not possible. So I decided to taper slowly over a period of 6 more months. Even then, after tapering to almost nothing before quitting completely, I had anxiety, liquid stools, confusion, and severe memory problems."

Symbyax Hell February 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The medication treated my bipolar disorder and PTSD wonderfully. I was happy with no real manic episodes or episodes of depression. Recently I have started sleep walking on the medication and it is scary. I get out of bed to go to the bathroom and fall asleep walking there and don't remember what I did. I have fallen asleep standing up and awaken falling backwards. I have started barricading myself in the room so as not to be of a problem to my housemates. I have reported the sleep walking to my mental health clinic but they say it is not a known side effect. I sleep for 4 hours and I am manic for 12. What a life. I am going back on it tonight because the manic episodes are getting worse. I asked for help with this problem for a week."

majorthom February 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug did horrible damaged my life! When I went on this medication, no one told me I would gain 60 pounds in a matter of months! I would have never gone on it. Even after getting off the drug I could not loose that weight. Fortunately, after 10 years, a doctor suggested testosterone therapy in hopes it would take the weight off. It was a miracle! I lost about 45 lbs. BUT I also lost 10 years of my life. Now I have permanent damage to my skin. Excess skin on my face and body after I lost the weight. The doctors tell me it won't return to its original state because I gained the weight so fast. I was a zombie while on the drug. Don't let your loved ones take it! I want to cry when I look in the mirror at my body now!"

ColoradoMike (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016