User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 13 reviews 2 medications

Migraine Prevention 2 reviews 29 medications

6.6
Summary of Bupropion reviews 1366 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Bupropion

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medication has been a major game changer for me. Before starting this medication, i was so severly depressed. I was taking other antidepressants at that time. They were helping to make me at least functional, most days just doing the bare minimum seemed too much. Eventually my PCP added 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL on top of the medication I was already taking. Since then we have up to 300 mg. I finally have energy, a desire to do things, and i feel the happiest i have been in a long time. Im not sure what kind of experiences other people have had on this medication, but since I have been on it I have had minimum negative side effects."

Snk88602 August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I am taking Wellbutrin for ADHD and mild depression. I started on 150 MG XL for 3-weeks and increased to 300 MG XL because I didn't think it was working as well as it could. Initially, I did experience side effects, including headaches and nausea. I also experienced agitation and irritability initially on the 300 MG XL. However, by the following week I felt even better than I did on the 150 MG XL and it lasts all day! It is important to find the right dose for you. Some people do better on less, some more, some on sustained release, some on extended release. I feel like I have the focus, energy, and motivation that will be life changing. Advise: tough out the side effects, they will go away and it will be worth it."

32amrak (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Welbutrin ruined my life. I went from 220 lbs. down to barely 100. I cannot eat. I am literally rotting away. It enlarged my prostate and now I feel like I'm carrying around a grapefruit. It also increased my libido to the point of being completely frustrating."

StevenB2374 August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been taking Wellbutrin XL for over 3 years. The reason for my review is recently I've been feeling more "down" lately and wondering whether this drug has run its course with me. Before Wellbutrin I was taking Effexor and it made me feel fantastic. I stopped Effexor because the longer I took it the more side effects it had. If I didn't take Effexor at the same time each day or god forbid- forget it, I would be dizzy and sweating. I like Wellbutrin because I don't feel any side effects. No weight gain, no sexual disfunction. I would like to find another drug for depression that works well and has little side effects. Any suggestions?"

Jube jube August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Dude... OK... I've only been taking this a few days and my Dr is starting me on a low dose of 150mg... But I just needed to say something about how I feel. I struggle with depression and ADD... I struggle with impulsive masochistic behavior when going through a tough time... Like binge eating etc. Today....... I felt calm. Pleasantly neutral happy and calm... A little foggy headed, tired and quiet and *tiny* headache... But it was amazing to not feel the intense emotions. I had some coffee and then I really got some housework done for the first time in weeks. I hope that this helps me lose weight... Not just by curbing appetite but because I'll be less prone to the emotions that drive me to binge. I'm HOPEFUL. We'll see how it goes!"

Depression/ADD (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I tried so hard to stay on bupropion 150SR for my Depression and BPD but I just couldn't . I lasted 10 days on it, It gave me a weird headspace ie: negative thoughts and bad memories from the past ... I kept telling myself to persevere but I just couldn't aside from the chronic constipation it caused . I will always wonder now what would have happened had I stuck it out for 4 to 6 weeks . Just felt too weird and disoriented on it. Thanks for reading my comment and if anyone had a similar experience, please share. Thanks"

Janey13 (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I took this for the first time last July, it gave me a lot more energy. I did not consider myself as "depressed" at the time, but when I look back on it, I've realized that it made me a lot happier and more positive than when I was not on it. I liked the energizing aspect, but I can't say it really helped with the anxiety. So if your sole purpose for going on this medication is for depression & fatigue, I recommend it. Also lost about 15 pounds on this med"

Anonymous2157 August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on medicine 150 for less than a week. I feel a little high, anxious, nervousness. But that is a relief compared to the last year sleeping upwards of 20 hours a day with no will to live. I took 300 mg. 10 years ago and lost 35 lbs within months. Already 4 days in I'm down 3 lbs quit smoking and keep trying to nap because of habit but can't sleep my life away. Thank god. I feel a little manic at times but remember this from before it will wear off. I already got up last 2 days and exercised haven't done that in 3 years. I'll report feeling in few months once I'm up to 300mg and stable. 1st day in 3 years where I'm not feeling dread."

AngeLuvsU (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This is for Anxiety/major depressive disorder and BPD. The side effects suck. Since I've been on Wellbutrin I've had severe dizzy spells and severe insomnia where I stay up all night and get 2-5 hours of sleep in the morning, on good days. My appetite is suppression is not as extreme as other medications I've been on but I have lost 5 pounds on it. I like eating so I don't like that. I had my first self harm episode and it had been over a year and it was over something insignificant that happens all the time. It gave me depression. I personally haven't experienced a good thing about this med but I'm giving it another month or two to work. I'm hopeful."

Gwenithhearts July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed Wellbutrin 2xday after Celexa stopped working after being on it 5 years. Within a few days of taking the Wellbutrin my anxiety was back and depression was worse. Had trouble staying asleep because my mind was constantly racing. Definitely did not work for me."

JC23 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have been put on this twice now and it didn't do anything to help me either time."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Smoking Cessation: "I've been smoke-free for 3 months now, thanks to Bupropion. I smoked for 22 years and was never able to quit for more than 3 days. I was ready to quit, but I knew I needed help. My Dr. suggested Wellbutrin. I got a prescription for Bupropion. The first few days I had a lot of cravings but stayed focused. After 4 days I noticed that it was actually easier to get through each craving. After 2 weeks, I didn't really think about cigarettes very much. Now, 3 months later, I hardly think about smoking, and if I do, it passes within a millisecond. Quitting is hard, but Bupropion made it easier to get through, and I feel happier too. I would definitely suggest this drug for anyone trying to quit smoking."

Dableuz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Legs shaking to the point I was unable to walk"

Slippersand (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Smoking Cessation: "I started smoking when I was 15. I am now 40. I tried many, many times to quit smoking and the only time I was successful was when I was pregnant with my son and daughter. I went right back to smoking after each birth. Last winter I noticed I would wake up coughing, sometimes so hard I couldn't catch my breath and my eyes watered. Finally, in March I asked my doctor for help. I started on 150mg bupropion once a day and didn't notice a difference for the first week. The second week I noticed that I wasn't smoking when I normally did (while driving, in the morning with coffee, after meals). Then one day I lit up and it tasted absolutely horrid. I literally threw my pack in the trash and haven't looked back. The smell alone makes me sick. :)"

Victoria1977 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I had taken Wellbutrin but switched to bupropion because of insurance. Big mistake! It was like taking nothing for my depression. I ended up being a mess. I tried it several different times just to be sure, with the same result every time. I don't care that the active ingredients are the same. It did not work on me at all and was actually scary. My sister reacts the same way to the generic, so it's not just me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Much better than Paxil"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I've been on Bupropion for about 10 weeks now, and while Bupropion has significantly helped me with depression, I have found that it has reduced my sex life tremendously! I'm glad to see it has increased others, but it has done the exact opposite for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm giving this two stars because it helped me quit smoking, but that's all it did. I've been taking for almost two months now and my anxiety has greatly intensified. I also have muscle aches in my legs and back - not sure if it's related to the bupropion, but I didn't have these feelings before I started taking it. It did not help me lose weight, but I did finally plateau after gaining consistently on Paxil and Abilify. I'm still taking Abilify so maybe that's interfering with weight loss, I'm not sure. Also my depression was under control for awhile but with the relentless anxiety about everything, it's creeping back in. Everything feels like an effort and all I want to do is stay in bed all day. This medication is not for me."

TWG74 July 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Just started this at 300MG a day 2 days ago and I literally feel a big and positive difference in my anxiety. I have PTSD from a violent event and have had pretty severe panic attacks for the past 3 years. I haven't been on any anti-depressants before but drink wine every night to relax and sometimes feel very agoraphobic. I know it's only day 2, but I just feel lighter, whenever I think of things that normally trigger me the thought comes and then just fades away. Honestly, I've never been a big believer in medication for mental issues but am really rethinking it now. Also vivid dreams, but they were good. Decreased appetite, a little more energy. Good luck everyone!"

organic mom July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on Wellbutrin for about three months now. It was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety, low cognitive function and bad working memory. Wellbutrin started working on me around week 8. Mood lifted immensely, better executive function, lower anxiety, became much more goal oriented. Stopped delaying and procastinating everything, became interested in my hobbies again, felt clear headed, more energetic and general mental well being. Struggle with working memory a bit, still."

RhettV July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Was taking Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) 150mg in AM & Zoloft (sertraline) 150mg at night. There was a miscommunication at my pharmacy so was out of Zoloft over a holiday weekend (3 days). It was the best miscommunication ever! With solely the Wellbutrin XL I have my old self back minus the anxiety & depression. I wake-up refreshed. I have more energy. I'm not napping every day or extremely lethargic. I'm excited to exercise, my libido is back & I'm calm and happy. It also has seemed to help with my food cravings, extra bonus."

JoMarieHa July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I have had depression for over 15 years. Started because I was in a bad marriage. Then with my divorce and loosing my job after 25 years my depression has just sky rocketed. I am seeing a psychiatrist and she has had to increase my Wellbutrin to 400mg a day and I have noticed a big difference. The only concern they have with giving me that much is the seizures side affects are much higher. But I'm being monitored and been taking them for a month and so far the only side affects I notice is frequent need to urinate, Confusion, headache, skin rash, hives, or itching, dry mouth and honestly I can live with those! I get suicidal thoughts when I'm not on them and have tempted suicide a few times."

MariaMay (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Been on it for one week. 150XL dry mouth. Lost voice. Insomnia. But I was up and Adam chipper and slaying at work!!!! Like being on speed!!!! Went down to 75mg to try and see if helped. ...Constant muscle spasms and a feeling of hypertension in my arms. Heart rate seems higher. Just feel not worth it. Plus did u see the withdraw experiences? Atrocious. Getting off before it's too late. Don't need high blood pressure this young."

Periwinkles (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "This drug has saved my life! I have struggled with methamphetamine addiction for about 4 years now. The hardest part about quitting was the extreme depression and suicidal thoughts. They always caused me to relapse. My physician prescribed wellbutrin and it has worked like a miracle. I have been clean for over half a year and feel like I have my old life back! My relationships are healing and my family feels like they have their son/brother back. I am back in college and passing my classes! I don't attribute all that to the drug. Counseling and AA were extremely helpful but I know it was Wellbutrin that got me through the horrible depression to the other side. Only upfront side effects I had were jitteriness and dry mouth."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Okay, so I started taking this to assist me in quitting tobacco. You do have to WANT to quit but a lot of people have the effect where one day cigarettes taste like licking a dumpster. My brother quit overnight due to this effect alone. Now as for me I was hoping so bad that would happen it hasn't and I'm still smoking but I've cut back and now I realize this drug has made the nicking go away completely; now it is all habitual. My husband smokes so it's around.......he's going to quit next week. I went on a 7 hour airplane trip with my sleep deprived toddler. Absolutely no nicking; this drug is phenomenal in that way. I'm hoping the taste effect may still happen for me. I'm losing 6 lbs a week though. I do have GAD also."

TobaccoFreeGoals June 30, 2017