User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 11 reviews 2 medications

Dysthymia 3 reviews 3 medications

5.5
Summary of Bupropion reviews 1067 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Bupropion

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I'm not usually one to publicly review medications, but I really feel the need to with this one. I have been clinically depressed for about 6 years. I have tried Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Prozac, and Effexor. Trial and error is really a bummer when you want to get well and you have little to no relief. I am now on a mix of 300 mg of Wellbutrin SR and 100 mg of Zoloft and love it! The first week or two I experienced some nausea (the traditional side effect) that had me down for the count for a few days, but I stuck with it. My only complaint after about 4 months of use is the insomnia, but that's nothing melatonin can't fix. So, if you've tried every SSRI/SNRI under the sun, I totally recommend trying Wellbutrin."

rillmad July 27, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I tried this medication on 3 separate occasions, because I had heard so many good things about it, but every time it made my depression much, much worse. Made me feel incredibly irritable, all the time, to the point of fixating on ways to permanently make the irritation stop. Couldn't sleep or feel any pleasure what so ever. Just constant irritation. The effects were instant and I tried enduring them for 2 weeks, but nothing changed. I warn anyone who's getting similar symptoms from it to just stop taking it immediately. Potentially very dangerous."

Kyle BC (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I would like to let folks know that there is help out there. I used to pride myself on the fact that I wasn't on any medication until my depression got so bad that I didn't enjoy anything. I finally broke down and cried in my Doctors office. It was embarrassing for me to ask for help. She put be on bupropion at 150 mg 2X a day. It helped a little but I still wasn't feeling the best. In my follow up appointment a month after starting it she upped my dose to 450mg a day. What a difference. I don't hate my job and life anymore. I am getting all kinds of things done that I had no interest in 2 months ago. I would recommend this to anyone that has trouble with depression and had a bad experience with an SSRI antidepressant."

bupropion July 23, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I took bupropion for about two weeks and I didnt like the side effects. I cant sleep and with kids its a big no!. Its been about 2 weeks since I stopped and I wish I didnt. I get anxiety attacks I want to cry!! And dizziness. I will visit my dr soon."

Anonymous July 23, 2016

For Anxiety: "Was on it for 4 months, thought it was a miracle drug util I found out what it did to my body, caused blood clots, fat clots, which led to fat embolisms, gave me high cholesterol which led to cholesterol plaque in my heart which traveled throughout my my body. I have been off of it for TWO MONTHS and I'm still trying to recover. ALL TOGETHER HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. DO NOT TAKE."

Kelly-jean Marsh July 22, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been taking Wellbutrin XL 450mg/day for 9 years, the brand only (I have done some personal research about brands versus generics and do not believe that generics are as good, effective, or reliable as brands). This medication saved my life, so I guess that I was lucky that it suited me. Within the first year I remember having a dry mouth, more energy, loss of appetite, and a weight loss. With time these side effects stopped. I have now no side effects, and what this medication clearly helped me with is to still feel myself and going through my emotions without falling into the hole of depression. So I feel functional, which was not the case before taking it (for example satying in bed because of feeling a deep sadness etc...)."

Edna323 July 22, 2016

For Anxiety: "After taking 150 mlg or 75 ir morning and 75 ir afternoon I feel better, my anxiety has dropped and my depression is better, not 100% but I'm happy with the results. At first my anxiety felt like it increased at times and the VA would not put me on benzo's so I toughed it out and feel better in between the anxiety spikes, but I do like the med it works for me. Good luck"

John In Arizona (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

For Depression: "Well it's been one week. I'll just say that since day one for me still on 150xl brand name Wellbutrin the energy is ridiculous. So far I sleep at night wake up and I'm out of bed. This past week I've helped build a sunroom with my brother, went to a wedding, gone out with friends, not feeling like when talking to people that I just want to leave and get home. I mean this is only one week and so far all of this fantastic stuff?!?! I feel better than ever. I just hope that once in full swing it's even better. Still smoking (which I hope this kills that habit) still eating ok, some constipation headache first couple days, no dry mouth some sweating, once my heart beats fast I did get some twitch, I drink coffee and I'm fine, more to come......"

Macphisto July 21, 2016

For Anxiety: "Well I've been on this medication now for almost 6 weeks, and I love it . There were very few side effects. It does suppress the appetite, well it did when I first started on it but now my appetite is great and I'm still losing weight, And my sex drive and life is totally AMAZING!!! My husband is overjoyed!!! And to think I never wanted to take medication, I simply refused to, I always tried anything natural and it would work for a minute then I was trying something else. I'm so glad that I got on this medication because it has really changed my life. I still have very small amounts of anxiety every now and again but it's no where near the way it was ,which was constant."

Because I'm Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "Made my depression worse, had to stop it....."

Scatty (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Back in Feb I had first started not sleeping well and by the end of that month major depression was in full effect. I tried numerous atypical antidepressants only getting major side effects. I was not inclined to use an SSRI since side effects seem to outweigh some of the positives they offer. Reluctant to give up on medication all together I was still not sleeping major battle with anxiety and insomnia. I decided to try Wellbutrin 150mg XL. Let me clearly explain the first 2 weeks were rough. No sleep think I slept 3 days or so. After the 3rd week I started to see more positive motivation and energy to get through the day. The energy is balanced now and the depressed thoughts and anxiety are in control. I'm just going to week 4... Onward"

Lostinamaze July 15, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I been taking this medication for 3 days and it's scaring me... Yesterday I was very irritable and just plain out nasty and then today my speech began to slurr which isn't good because I'm a hair stylist. I felt like everyone was staring at me it was embarrassing. I don't know whether to flush em or continue taking em"

MrsMurphy83 July 13, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Well after trying Paxil (worked really well but bad sexual side effects) for a couple years, then celexa worked but not as well as Paxil still sexual side effects recently on Prozac worked for depression however sexual side effects made me just not want to even bother. Got a script for Wellbutrin Xl 150mg brand name as I asked for non generic out of pocket cost 11.27 with insurance. Will report back and see how I do. Day one tomorrow. I put a rating of 5 just because of the unknown. Will rate when in full swing."

Macphisto July 12, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Wellbutrin XL has been great for me. I have been on it for a few months and have completely noticed the difference in my lifestyle and my libido. My doctor was giving me samples of the brand name but she ran out and my insurance wouldn't cover the brand. My Copay for the brand was $1300.00 I could NOT afford that so she reluctantly put me on the generic. It was HORRIBLE. Worst experience of my life. Worst side effects ever. Luckily I came across another Pharmacy and they fill your Wellbutrin brand name for $50 a month. It's been great! Back on Wellbutrin and feeling amazing!!"

eyedepressed (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I started taking this during a time that I felt like I was at the end of my rope and frantic to find something to help me feel better (I had previously tried Cipralex and Effexor). I started at 150mg XL (moved to 300 after 2 weeks) and I noticed a difference in my mood and energy within the first couple of days! I did errands that I hadn't done in months, cooked, and wasn't sleeping all day! The drastic change in energy subsided, but I feel like it helped me wake up in the morning. It did slightly elevate my anxiety, but that subsided as well. I really recommend this medication! I only stopped because I found that it made my Vyvanse less effective (prescribed later on). I still am conflicted about, since this mediation was a GAME CHANGER"

stephlyudmila (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Over years have tried several antidepressants.....in my younger years Prozac, zoloft, Paxil, horrible side effects! Now that I am in my fifties I have been dealing with depression? Menopausal related,stress ,life.....tried natural Sam e and some others with no results but only side effects....Finally started Wellbutin and finally feeling black cloud lifting with No weird side effects....Hopefully continue and feel like my old self again:)"

Alicefay (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "After the failure of 2 bupropion generics & the discontinued manufacturing of the one generic I *could* tolerate, I finally got on the one form of the name-brand Wellbutrin my insurance would cover. It made all the difference in the world. I feel better. My severe mood swings decreased as well as my angry outbursts. I don't mind the 3 pills a day (my generics had been SR); I actually prefer it as it seems the nighttime dose makes it easier to get up in the morning. I am dealing with some constipation, but I have MS and that is a side effect of many of my medications as well as my condition. I was happy and starting to get back on my feet again. BUT....Now they aren't going to make it any more. I have confirmation from GSK. So now what?"

MS Chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "It worked great at first; before taking wellbutrin I was depressed, had no energy and slept 12 hours a day, after taking wellbutrin I felt good, had plenty of motivation and slept a lot less. After about 3 weeks of taking it I was starting to sleep less and less. Eventually I went over 60 hours without sleep, it was awful! I might have been awake for longer if I didn't pick up a prescription for zopiclone. They only gave me 10 tablets so I hope I can get to sleep on my own by then."

gekosaurus July 6, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking for 4 months now. I felt improvement after 3 weeks but even more balanced after 6 weeks. It was hard to be patient to wait weeks for something to work but I'm glad I stuck with it. I had headaches during the first month but haven't had any other negative side effects and I'm very sensitive to side effects. I actually had been prescribed this medicine years ago but I never took it because I was worried about increased anxiety but I haven't experienced anxiety at all even during the first days/weeks of starting it. I almost feel like I'm not taking any medication, I just feel normal. I started exercising, engaging in hobbies, lost 7 lbs and have not been drinking or craved alcohol at all and I used to drink wine often."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 6, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Taking Wellbutrin 300XL for a while now. Previously used a SSRI which had little to no effect in that I would contemplate suicide nearly daily and had zero interest in life in general. Now I actually want to do things again, I am enjoying life and I have more energy. I can't say enough how well this drug has worked for me. Only side effect I've experienced is decreased appetite and I've lost a few pounds, which for me is a good thing."

Anonymous July 6, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on Wellbutrin for about four weeks to ease my social anxiety issues. I have never taken anti-depressants before so I had no idea what to expect. I'm glad the first week is over because it was very euphoric, which I did not enjoy. I had to take a nap around 4:00 p.m. the first day. The second week was not euphoric at all and I feel back to my old self again. Gratitude all around."

HoloceneSoldier (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been on Wellbutrin 75mg x 2 a day for a week. I have CFS and MDD, SAD, as well as mild OSA. My sleep doctor suggested Wellbutrin because of its stimulating effects after I asked about Provigil or Nuvigil for my extreme fatigue and depression. The first four days I felt like I drank 20 cups of coffee. Jittery, gnashing my teeth, tensed up muscles, hard time sleeping, while still depressed. Not a good combination. After four days the stimulant effect suddenly went away and was replaced by the worst sleepiness I've ever felt. An hour after taking the pills I practically fall asleep. Drowsy and sleepy all day to the point of not being able to function at my job. Not sure if I can continue Wellbutrin for much longer."

Iwantanewdrug (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2016

For Depression: "The best depression medicine. I went from 230lbs and was down to 149lbs in less than a year. I have been on it about 5 years and the highest my weight has gotten was 163 which I think was due to my endometriosis getting bad. Works really well and almost no side effects. I remember the first two weeks I had diarrhea that is it. One thing is my doctor increased my meds to 150mg twice daily, if I take them at the same time or close together I have very bad anxiety attacks and get shakey and feel really panicked about an hour. Also I take as early as possible bc it causes minor insomnia, nothing really bad though. The hormone treatment I am on for endometriosis causes bad depression, so as soon as I stop the hormones I want to go back down to"

Kelsoh July 3, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I was given this medication at a low dose because I am in end stage copd. I have been experiencing auditory hallucinations and also very strange dreams and was not told about this by my doctor or pharmacist. I looked at the information given to me by the pharmacist and these adverse reactions were buried in little print at the very bottom. I feel that these side effects should be known right away. I thought I was losing my mind. I am going to stop taking this drug and if anyone asks me about it I will tell them to be very careful."

Legacy albatross (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "27 and been smoking heavily for about 2 years but couldn't stop on my own. I've been taking bupropion (purple pill) for about a month now. 1 a day for week 1 then 2 daily. With in the first 2 days I went from smoking 10-12 cigs a day to 3-4. I am also a daily 420 user. The meds cut those cravings way down too, which might be why I was started to feel anxiety so my doctor increased my dose to 340mg. After about 4 weeks I was cig free. I think I'm in week 6 now. I don't crave cigs at all, but for the last week I have been feeling very nauseous when I eat, the worst part is the aggravation/anger. The smallest things get me very angry. I used to me very mild tempered, you could say a push over. These meds made me a b*tch. Now I'm weaning off."

420girl June 29, 2016