User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 13 reviews 2 medications

Migraine Prevention 2 reviews 29 medications

6.6
Summary of Bupropion reviews 1409 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Bupropion

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "Took 150 mg for 4 days and suddenly stating feeling weakness, aches, pains, then sore throat accompanied by fever called my Dr she made me stop taking it and was given toradol to break fever of 102.8 and steroids and fluids, went from 216 to 213 pounds in 4 days. Had my heart rate and blood pressure up also. This drug may be for others but definitely not me, too many adverse effects I've tried zoloft, Prozac, and lexapro, anti depressents are not for me"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was prescribed this drug treatment in the 1997-2000 years and it caused me to end up in the ER due to spontaneous unthinkable suicide attempt by taking an overdose dose of Amblify (15 tabs!) and as soon as I swallowed it I asked myself “what did I just do?!?!? Then I didn’t know what was going to happen!?! My friend called an ambulance and I ended up in ER !?!? When Doctor asked me why I did it-“ I told him that I didn’t know?!? I had no “ thoughts of suicide and I had no idea what I was doing and that I was not going to be a danger to myself because of that!?! I had to go to Outpatient Therapy for several weeks!"

NJersey (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "28 woman 140 lbs--150mg XL taken once in the morning. Before this I was getting near suicidal, couldn't get out of bed and hated myself for that. Sought a therapist who recommended besides therapy I should take something like Wellbutrin. My psych was irritated b/c I previously told her I didn't want Celexa (it never did anything even after months) but agreed to prescribe Wellbutrin. After a day or two when it kicked in, it was like NIGHT and DAY. Like a cloud had been lifted and I could see again, get out bed again. Don't get me wrong, I'm still sad about the state of the world and my life. But it's not crippling anymore; I can "get over it." I'm glad to keep experiencing. It seemed better year 1 than 2 but that might be the relief/other factors."

A Novice (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started this last week because doctor recommended it, they recommend it cuz I've had horrid anxiety and panic attacks. This has helped me & has calmed down my nerves so much and I'm on the lowest dose. To best honest I'm gonna stay on the lowest dose because this medication makes you feel really floaty and like stuff kinda goes in slow motion, is the only way I can explain it. Hopefully this helped someone."

Bupropion (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Smoked a pack a day for 20 years, moved to Zyban after Champix gave me some seriously dark thoughts! After 4 days of taking the pills, my smokes tasted funny, after 6 days I realised that I was only smoking because of the habit so I just stopped. It's taken away all the anxiety in quitting smoking. I've had a few side effects, but they've actually been ok. My mood is better, I'm going to bed early, sleeping well and waking up early, I feel very focused and motivated too. The only negative side is that it's dried my skin a bit and I get dry-mouth but I'm drinking 2.5l of water per day to fix that. It makes me a bit forgetful too, but that's ok. It's an anti-depressant, so it won't be great for everyone but it worked well for me!"

Timbo1604 (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I tried Zyban twice after smoking for about 20 years, a pack a day. The first time, I could feel my urge to smoke lessening, but after about a week on the medicine, one day I felt exhausted. I slept for 14 hours; the next day I woke up and felt so, so down and depressed. Since I had done my research prior to taking this, I knew what it was. I called a doctor, and stopped the medicine. A year later, I decided to try again. This time, I had no such thoughts. After about 5 days, I felt the urge to smoke going away, and on day 7, I lit one up, wondered why I was doing this, and put it out. Never looked back. I stayed on Zyban for about a year. That was two 1/2 years ago. No cravings. No cheating. Amazing."

A.E. Gnat October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Pack a day for 20 years. Took zyban for a week then just smoked my last cigarette, threw anything smoke related into the trash and changed my thought patterns completely. Zyban is helpful but it's also a lot to do with your mindset. You have to WANT to stop. Give yourself a good reason and you won't smoke again. My suggestion is to keep taking the medication for a while, I completed a 3 month prescription and never bothered again. I can be around smokers, I can now see why non smokers HATE standing next to a smoker it is so amazing to have kicked this habit. Who cares if you used a pill, keep positive and change your lifestyle!"

Recoveredsmokaholic (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Smoking Cessation: "I was prescribed bupropion 150mg to help me quit smoking. I have been on the drug for 5 months now and It does help with cig cravings, I can go 5 hours and not even realize I haven't smoked. The issues with this drug is that it caused me to end up in the hospital with a really bad panic attack and it scared me because I never had a panic attack in my life, but it's my new norm. Another side effect is it makes me afraid to drive or be a passenger in the car. I imagine cars coming into my lane and hitting me head on, I honk my horn at almost everyone because it looks like other drivers are coming into my lane. I also get scared that my tires will blow out and I'll crash on the highway. I'm stopping this drug tomorrow and starting chantix"

KelBel86 October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Although the medication worked well for the first few weeks, I began to notice my aggression becoming more pronounced and I got irritated much easier than normal. After two months, my doctor increased the dosage, even though I told her how I was feeling and acting. I decided to try it anyways to see if things got any better and got an answer within two days of the increase..... NO!! It made me extremely mean, short tempered, very aggressive, and extremely judgemental of others, all of which were NOT normal behaviors for me. I get the same results with Adderall for my adult ADHD and have decided to never touch either of these medications again..... EVER! It may work well for others, but is not for me."

CajunLady41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Sharing my experience on this medication because of how afraid I was to take it, in hopes that I can help someone in a similar situation. I have had diagnosed depression and anxiety for years and have tried all different medications to no avail until Lexapro which has helped the most with my depression, but never really touched my anxiety. The problem is that lately the Lexapro seemed to not be working as well despite dosage increases months back, and I had absolutely ZERO sex-drive, which was really affecting my relationship. I just started Wellbutrin (XR) and it has already proved life-changing in just a little over a WEEK. I feel SO much better. Way more motivation, energy & it's helped my anxiety which was unexpected! Good luck!"

Anxious/Depressed woman (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was on Prozac for somewhere around a year, and my dr prescribed me bupropion to go along with the Prozac. This absolutely ruined my life. I was doing good before it. Not perfect but satisfactory. When I started taking bupropion it gave me adrenaline rushes which led to panic attacks. Even after being off of the medicine around a year I still have panic attacks and have gone through so many Medicines trying to fix the problem. And I've been reading the experiences of others and unfortunately some people never get over the effects. Please don't take this medicine. It's not worth it. Maybe it helps people. But for others like me, it is prescribed flippantly and has awful effects."

Andyboy92 September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Obesity: "I had surgery. After my surgery I wanted to lose more weight but my cravings in bed eating habits came back therefore my doctor suggested Wellbutrin. Since then my cravings have disappeared and I'm on the right track. I take 150 mg 2x a day."

Caramel Queen September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I took wellbutrin to help with motivation and energy, which were major sources of my depression. The first two weeks were absolutely terrible. The only side effect I had was night sweating, and it was so bad that I got no sleep every night. I would fall asleep and wake up covered in so much sweat there would be pools of water on my chest. Had to wear clothes from head to toe and sleep on a towel. After that it worked fine. However, it didn't really help with the motivation. It gave me more energy, but didn't allow me to use it for anything. That ended up increasing my anxiety. However during this period I did not experience a single side effect other than occasional chest pain which was probably from the anxiety/stress anyways."

Kerma September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "This has been the absolute worst anti depressant I have been on. I will NEVER go back to that drug ever again the first few days of being off Celexa and being on Wellbutin was OK. But about a week and a half later I was a absolute mess. My depression got worse and my anxiety, well was out of this world! I constantly had this paralyzing fear of the world ending or stepping foot outside. I was crying and felt so sick to my stomach all day everyday! I could smack the quack who put me on this horrible stuff! I'm going back to Celexa. I know some say it will make you gain weight or hard to lose it, but it didn't fit me at all. Plus I much rather be fat the have all this sang stress, pressure and anxiety I'm done"

Horrible September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Smoking Cessation: "My partner and I have been on zyban to quit smoking for about 14 days now and we've been smoke free for nearly 5 days! I'm amazed at how easy its been, I hardly even think about smoking. I thought I'd still have to put in a lot of effort to quit but one day I woke up and I just didn't want to smoke anymore! There's been a few hard times but really its been amazing. I have suffered from insomnia since starting zyban but I don't really care because I'm smoke free!"

Mellehhh (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Amazing, it has absolutely changed my life, from the first day I started it. My smoking has decreased drastically. I am highly motivated to do everything I need to do in a day. I am thinking clear, I haven't had a single nap since taking it! A life changing pill for me!!"

Sarah padilla September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL's, and since I've started taking them, I've noticed my dreams are extremely vivid and disturbing, I'm getting confused easily, major insomnia, which isn't normal for me by any means. Was on Prozac, then Lexapro, switched to celexa after 3 doses, and now I'm stuck with Wellbutrin. I was told to push through and keep taking it, but all of my experiences with stimulants with an amphetemine base have been unpleasant. Im probably going to discontinue it, I'd rather be unmedicated than lose days of sleep and have horrible dreams whenever I can sleep. Not a great experience imo"

TedB (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I was started on 75mg at first and for 2 weeks I had the worst side effects. I literally thought I was going insane. The doctor told me it was normal and ride it out another week. So I did and it passed. They moved me to 150mg XL and it worked wonderful for years. A few years in I had to go up to 300 XL but I was still panic free and depression free. Until recently when it stopped working and I had Prozac added to the mix. I would recommend welbutrin XL to people. Just know you can push through those awful side effects for a few weeks to feel better."

Cheryl2280 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I started taking Wellbutrin XL August of 2016. After starting this drug, I had the motivation and desire to go out and change my life! As a man, this drug drastically increased my sex drive! Which was a huge relief! That first day and all that night all I could dream about was sex - Everything was much "bigger" too. I think because Wellbutrin increased my blood flow and heart rate. This went on for about two weeks until everything levelled out. However, my sex drive still remained more elevated. The only negative side effects I had were extreme migraines those same two weeks. I think I also lost a lot of weight but I'm not sure how much. I was the skinniest I had ever been at that time."

Lukas_with_a_k (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Smoking Cessation: "I went on this summer 2017. Has done the trick. Cigarette started tasting bad...Had a yucky taste when I smoked. I couldn't get that relaxing feeling anymore. Just made me smell bad. I had quit before the month was over. I wasn't a heavy smoker. Prob, 6 cigarettes a day. Hope this helps. I continue on Meds because it helps my depression."

Dietcokemom September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Was on it for a month, to no avail. 5* rating because I had no side effects, but it did not help either."

Push91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "In the last 6 years I have taken a few meds for my depression. Started with Lexapro which helped but caused very quick weight gain. Switched to Cymbalta which caused rash. Switched quickly to Prozac which caused horrible dreams and sexual issues!! Was then put on Wellbutrin by a psych NPR because of my issues with weight gain and sexual side effects. Drug was a miracle for me!!! Lost 45lbs in 2 years after starting it and sexual side effects disappeared!! Started out on 150mg a day but upped to 300mg a day when I had a depressive episode!! Since upping dose have had no issues other than unusual dreams, but can live with that!! Nothings perfect!!!"

hackgolfpro September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Best antidepressant I've ever taken bar none. I have been taking Wellbutrin for over 10 years and even though I've had the dosage adjusted over time, it has worked wonders. The reasons I like it is no weight gain, doesn't zap my energy, and helps me complete tasks. The only down side I have found is that it will keep me awake at night if I take it after 10am. I do take the generic version."

Nellie12345 (taken for 10 years or more) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I quit in 1998 because of Zyban. I credit this drug for helping me kick a pack a day habit that I thought I would never kick. I was skeptical, but after 2 weeks taking it, I didn't get the rush from that first morning cigarette. I didn't feel like I needed that soothing wave of calmness smoking gave me when I was stressed. I didn't feel rewarded when I lit up anymore. Without the soothing effects, I was left with the bad parts of smoking, the taste and the smell. I quit and have never started again since. I have heard stories from friends that had weird trips on Zyban and they sound downright frightening. This did not happen to me thankfully."

Piggysmacks September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Bupropion saved my life. After spinning out of control with depression and anxiety and abuse of my prescribed benzo I switched drs and started Bup. Together with risperidone, I am calm, not depressed, happy, rational, functional. Feel better than I have in 15 years of dealing with depression. I'm not the old me now, I'm a better ME! I do experience insomnia, for which my doc prescribed a sleep aid. For my anxiety, I am now on a less addicting and less intense benzo. The combination is perfect me for. Add in regular, vigorous exercise & I'm in the best state of mind I've ever been in. For me, it was all about finding the right Dr. who listened and didn't try to tx me as BP, which I'm not. Zoloft, Effexor, lithium, lamictal, & depakote all failed me."

Drsb2017 September 9, 2017