User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 11 reviews 2 medications

Persistent Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 3 medications

5.5
Summary of Bupropion reviews 1133 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Bupropion

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Started post-break-up. Happy now, don't credit meds, but still take WB & never want to stop (unlike Clonaz. & Desipr.) bc other reasons to take. Lost weight, gained energy, desire to be social. Now only anxiety and IBS; the WB counters some sexual side effects of other meds. NOT a morning person, but 450 SR(12hr) right b4 sleep (RIGHT b4 or insomnia)=hop out of bed at alarm. If I take 450 in morning, easy to resist food. Wish I could have both, but splitting dosage or taking XL(24hr) doesn't work. 167lbs 6yrs ago @start, down to125. 3yrs of 130lbs but built-up tolerance, so then 150lbs 2yrs ago. Took @night for months, then back to morning & now 1yr 135lbs. 450mg is max. New dr: split time night & mrng. But that would defeat 1/2 its purpose"

LosingWeight=Antidepressant (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 24, 2016

For Depression: "I've been on bupropion SR 100 MG once per day for about 6 months now. I lost 30 lbs, but at what cost? The thought of food makes me feel ill. I'll be hungry, but when I see food, my body gets tense and I feel like I might vomit. The first few weeks, I felt slightly uplifted. I was more inclined to go for walks and socialize with friends and family again. I hit a plateau around week 5 and felt awful. I felt tired but unable to sleep, and I spent hours in bed every day. By week 8, I was seriously considering ending my life because I couldn't stand how I felt. Constant anxiety and tension, tinnitus, nausea, lethargy. I tapered down to one pill every other day, with the hope of quitting. Withdrawal was too much, so still taking it for now"

BlueWyrm September 22, 2016

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been on this med for two weeks now and i have yet felt any benefits while starting this med. My doctor told me to take it twice daily they are 100mg. I have been taking it but still feel the same."

601mommy September 22, 2016

For ADHD: "I have bad reaction to most stimulant type medications made for ADHD. Instead of getting strung out like most people would they put me right to sleep, or cause sever twitching, and made my anxiety much much worse. Wellbutrin ROCKS! But just by it self my chest pains from stress are gone, I can remember more, stay on more tasks and get stuff done, instead of spinning around finishing nothing. (A.K.A: Hell.) I thought it wasn't doing much at first until I forgot to take it for 2-3 day.s The difference this makes! I Never knew this damn ADHD was causing me this much stress, I was aware of it as I knew I had to fight all the time with my self just to listen to someone talk and not interrupt or take off. I'm a female with severe ADHD."

darkocean-Try this omg! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "After trying Zoloft and Lexapro with no success my doctor recommended Wellbutrin. Starting with 10mg daily. I've been taking this medication for 4 weeks now and my depression has not improved and my anxiety has worsened. The only positive review I can give is that I've lost 5 lbs since starting. Today my Dr. advised I should try a different medication rather than increase the dosage because of my anxiety."

ACS080292 September 21, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I've had depression and anxiety with panics since 2013 and been through many medications that didn't work and finally I get Wellbutrin 150mg lexapro 20 mg and it's amazing I feel back to myself years ago!!! Here it is 2016 when I get the right deal."

Stg76864 September 19, 2016

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Started taking 150mg (so just the one pill in the morning) 3 days ago and I am shocked!!!! I've had more energy, less anxiety (I have anxiety disorder and panic attacks normally), feel happier AND I don't feel like smoking much....... I go hours without a smoke, yet I used to smoke 30 cigarettes a day! I'm only on day 3! Tomorrow I am supposed to step up to 2 pills, and I assume I won't want a smoke at all. Brilliant pill. Wish I could stay on it, as I feel amazing!"

Brinny (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

For ADHD: "Wellbutrin worked great for me until my doc accidentally changed my dose without telling me and I had an overdose that almost killed me. It snuck up on me, I was fine until I suddenly was having a grand maul seizure and severe psychotic episodes. I'm now taking 150 mgs and out of no where had more symptoms tonight and thought I was going to have another seizure. I didn't and the feelings went away but in scared and quitting this drug after talking to my doc. I'm also making an appointment with a neurologist. I guess just please be careful. Don't mess with this medicine at all!!!"

Katie619 September 19, 2016

For Anxiety: "Only been taking the generic Wellbutrin Sr 150mg for a few days. And only once a day. I'm also taking Buspar 2 times a day, and have been for a month. It started to lose its effectiveness so along with increasing the daily dose of it, I was given Wellbutrin SR. It's 330am and I'm wide awake. Didn't have much energy today but even with melatonin, I woke up at 130 And can't fall back asleep. I've been craving water all day. Smoking less cigarettes. Appetite was less today than usual....Thank God. So far I really like the Wellbutrin Sr. .minus the insane heartburn it's giving me. So long as it doesn't cause my hair to fall out like Zoloft did, I should be able to tolerate the others."

BeautifulWreck (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I smoked for 48 years. It helped me quit now I'm going to use it for my depression ."

Papal (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "My depression is more work related as I'm a happy camper when I don't have to work, but I get nasty and temperamental at work. Also I wanted to quit smoking. I take the generic brand since I'm VA so I have no choice but it works fine! I am much easier to get along with at work, I have quit smoking (YAY!!) and I have zero side effects. Some may say I'm sleeping more than usual, but I'm OK with that."

iskinder September 18, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have little side effects like a headache, but that is due to no appetite from this medication. Ever since I have been on it I feel wonderful again like I used to be. All I would sit around and cry and think I was useless but now that is gone all together. I'm on 200mg and who knows I could have it increased if all goes well. Since I have been on this medication I have lost 14 lbs. I have no appetite so I have to force myself to eat which isn't till like 4 pm. I'm so glad I'm losing weight and not gaining. Who knows it could be a combination with my Lisinopril. I guess everyone is different but give it a try or ask your doctor if you can take it for weight loss, my doctor put me on it for weight loss and depression...Very very happy"

Cyndie endurance (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on the drug for months, but I noticed the effects of it almost immediately. For the first time I can concentrate for long periods of time, and my motivation has never been better (although it's not always drastic). It has really messed with my appetite by making me not want to eat and getting full really quick, but I feel great and have lost a lot of weight! It hasn't changed my depressive thoughts, but I have way fewer break downs and my mood drops are not nearly as extreme. I love this drug."

Anonymous September 16, 2016

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I love this pill! I call it the happy pill ! 32f. After the first few months of nightmares - I've become the happiest person alive. After reading all the comments. - my sex drive seems to have increased but reaching orgasms has been hard. It does gives me energy. I quit cigs. And it possibly lowered my blood pressure. I can't comment on the weight part cause I'm already chubby and love food. I've been way more nice and friendly to people too."

Weirdncrazyk (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "Finally decided to get serious about smoking cessation so my Dr put me on 150 mg 2X Daily of bupropion. I don't get all these people saying it increased sex drive, since it completely destroyed mine. Less overall interest, impossible to maintain an erection, next to impossible to orgasm my wife of 30+ years has been a hero through this and has really extended herself to help me get "there"). I have to agree with an earlier post regarding the validity of these comments. I can find not one shred of SCIENTIFICALLY documented evidence suggesting that sex drive or ability to orgasm is increased when only taking this drug for help stopping smoking. Guessing it must be pharm. reps writing these reviews."

DW22 September 14, 2016

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I used Wellbutrin it for a month to start stopping smoking. I used it as you should use Zyban (first week one pill in the morning, then the next two months two pills a day with min. 8 hours in between, best long before evening). After 2 weeks of use I lost a lot of libido and nearly all ability to get fully erected. Now I stopped it by eating one per day for a week. Since two days I've fully stopped and am still waiting on the libido and erectability I had before that idea stopping smoking and eating Wellbutrin...."

Mat E. male, 51 years old (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "I am a 26 year old female, I smoked for 10 years, about a pack every 2 days. I chose Wellbutrin, 150mg daily. I took it for about 5 weeks total. My plan was to take it and smoke for 10 days. And set my quit date for 10 days from day 1. By day 3, it was already getting easier to say no to the voice in my head telling me when it was time for a smoke. I found myself already cutting back 1 or 2 here and there through my day, which already in itself was a miracle. I was also infrequently using a Nicorette inhaler, 1-3 times a day. By day 10 I was ready to butt out for good. The nicotine withdrawal is the worst part - but overall has become the hardest yet easiest but best thing I ever did!!!!! :D"

Janbro12 September 13, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I was started on WB xl 150mg 8week ago The first couple of weeks I had nausea fogginess and had trouble sleeping this started to taper off at about the four week mark. Last week my doctor increased it to 300mg and I have foggy/dizziness and since I've been on it I've had some abdominal discomfort. Is this normal and will it go away and do you get the side effects again when it has been increased?"

Message September 12, 2016

For Depression: "I have suffered with complex regional pain syndrome along with chronic depression since 2005. I take Cymbalta, mirtazapine, Trazadone, and recently Wellbutrin SR ( 100 X 2 day) I have noticed a little improvement over the past 12 days that I have taken it. I think my MD is going to add another 100 mg to my dosage. I hope that by adding the additional dose, I will get better relief. I refuse to take pain meds and want to be treated with alternative meds such as antidepressants in that I feel that I can be better in control with my condition."

doc4aday (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2016

For ADHD: "I was suffering from constant fatigue, possibly depression-related, in addition to my ADHD when I initially sought treatment. Bupropion really helped me get out of the worst of it, lifting my mood and increasing concentration. Unfortunately, over time it also increased my tics (comorbid Tourette's) and I developed really annoying urinary problems, while the positive effects seemed to wear off, so I discontinued usage."

jastice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was on the generic form of Prozac 20mg for anxiety/headaches for about 6 months. During the first few months I worked out at least 3 times a week & didn't notice a difference in my weight loss I became frustrated with it. I also felt like I needed more help, well Once my dr increased my dose I maybe worked out once a week & the weight piled on. I was always sleeping and didn't feel like doing anything. I went and saw my dr & told her to take me off this bc it wasn't working and the weight gain was awful 20 pounds in 2-3 months. I started Budeprion XL 150 mg once a day. today is my third day and I already feel that im not as hungry, I have way more energy, last night I felt like I was drifting in & out sleep, may need meds to help sleep"

cj3216 September 10, 2016

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been taking this generic bupropion XL 300 mg for a little over a year now. I was prescribed this for depression and an anti-smoking aid but it has no effect on stopping the desires of me wanting to have cigarettes. It's not helping with my depression. I feel sluggish and tired all day. Depression almost seems worse the days I do take it versus when I don't. sex drive hasn't been this low since like "ever"!. I'm probably going to discontinue it. If it's not helping it can only be hurting right? I can only get what the doctors are willing to prescribe me, but most the time it's garbage. I'm prescribed hydroxizine for sleep & anxiety. Thats garbage too, but whole dif story."

TDP 714 September 10, 2016

For Depression: "I became depressed and pain pills were the only thing that made me feel good. But I started feeling guilty that i might have a problem. I didnt tell my dr. But after explaining why i was Depressed he put me on this medication and so far I have not craved any pain medicines and I have been losing weight which is also great because I'm overweight and it has me focused a lot more and I don't get sad as often I have notice that sometimes it will wear off but maybe I just need to up my dosage right now I'm only taking a 100mg Morning and night so 200 total"

nettajdawg September 8, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm on 100 mg of bupropion Sr twice a day. Some days I'm balanced, some days I'm full of so much energy and today zombie state. Pros? The "voices" in my head berating me every second of the day is silent. I am starting to see less hallucinations. My sex drive is up and paranoia down. Cons? Vivid dreams. Like vivid to the point of not being able to differentiate reality. Also, you always sleep late and wake up early. But you trade one major problem for a manageable one so I can deal with this. It's only been a month. Perhaps it gets better. Who knows. I am worried it may trigger another psychotic episode...may have to talk to Doctor."

Sam l h September 8, 2016

For Smoking Cessation: "Have been using Nicotine Patches for awhile now and cut myself back to 6 a day. Started Zyban 7 days ago taking 150 mg. for 3 days then 300. Now, am back up to 10-13 per day. They have started tasting funky just a little bit though. But that's only sometimes. Sometimes, after 1/2 the cig. taste is bad. But going from 6 to 12 or 13 is depressing me. Having agitation moments as well and trouble going to sleep. I'm wondering if desire for them will go away after awhile."

Troxianna September 7, 2016