User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 13 reviews 2 medications

Persistent Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 3 medications

5.5
Summary of Bupropion reviews 1302 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Bupropion

For Depression: "I tried many anti-depressants before Wellbutrin with little to no success. This has been the best for me with no noticeable side-effects. The transformation is subtle, after taking for a few weeks all of the sudden I am able to function each day. Love it!"

JustMyStory (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been taking 150 mg of the generic of Wellbutrin for the past month. I can't believe how amazing I feel! After dealing with depression for the past 4-5 years I finally feel like myself again. I was diagnosed with PMDD and mild depression but tried to deal both of these with Prozac and hormone birth control. After three months of Prozac I quit. It made me tired and took away my libido. It didn't help my depression at all. I've tried three different birth controls (I'm 46...it wasn't for birth control, just to try to help my hormone levels.) Nothing helped my depression. Finally my Dr. prescribed Wellbutin. I filled it but didn't take it for 8 months because I was afraid of the of the side effects. Now I could just kick myself!"

Caro70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Smoking Cessation: "I just started taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg 4 one week then 300mg after the 1st week. Never liked 2 mix any meds with my pain meds (too scared) but I have to stop smoking cigarettes. I also need to lose 60 lbs so I can get this surgery. Hopefully I'll be successful. I'll definitely check back in & let you'll know what happens. Pray 4 me."

Joyiousjody April 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Wellbutrion (bupropion) has been in my life for quite the number of years. Many of the others I tried had side effects not worth living with. My dosage is maxed at 450mg daily. It is my wife that first notices if I miss a dosage (my regularity is terrible - memory) ; if it's a couple of days or so, I can't even live with myself. The drug is being taken in combination with: lamotrigine, fluvoxamine, klonopin. There are still days that I am completely worthless - there is no energy or motivation to do anything: my lungs and heart have to remind to get back in gear! There is also a "fog" that seems to impress itself on my thoughts and concentration. On the flip side I can't stand myself without them, more importantly neither can my wife."

Constantdays April 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "MY person experience may differ for others, but BEST combo for me so far, has included Wellbutin XL 300mg. Many years receiving mental health services (27 years). Had to stop SSRI's. Wellbutrin however helped increase my motivation, had none. Was so bad I laid in bed months from severe depression, so long immobile that both legs filled with blood clots and near death!! Survived on blood thinners and hospital over a week. With Wellbutrin had no weight gain, lost the 50lb other meds helped put on me! Lower cholest., quit smoking as a nice bonus and no sexual issues, in fact helped imho."

HorrorActress1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "Well, not sure if everyone follows the take on ADHD 7-types, but my girlfriend pretty much says that the traits for the "over-focused" type is me to a "T". Worrier, resistant to change, hyper-focused, impulsive, forgetful, etc. Doctor originally thought GAD - so treated with Effexor, Cipralex, Imipramine and then Cymbalta. Cymbalta made things so worse. Psychiatrist caught the ADHD and prescribed Wellbutrin. HUGE difference. I see it, friends see it...and my psych is really pleased with the change and turn-around. May not be for everyone..and give it several weeks if you try. Oh - some pluses...no impact on the libido (maybe even increased)...and a bit of appetite suppression (hey, two side-effects most could live with!)"

Adhd - Over-focused (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Name brand worked. But generic didn't."

Elmerdwfudd (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "First of all, I did not begin taking this or any other antidepressants specifically for depression. I was severely bulimic when I first started taking antidepressants, because it's fair to say that I was also depressed at the time. Prozac and Lexapro both made me incredibly tired so I didn't stick with either of those for longer than a few months. Bupropion is literally my miracle drug. I started taking it in July of 2016 and still take it as of April 2017 and have no plans of stopping. I told my doctor I feel NORMAL. I can focus when I need to, I have zero problems sleeping, I've lost 20 lbs putting me back at my personal ideal body weight (5'3, 120). I honestly don't think I could have recovered from my eating disorder without it."

laura1436 April 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I have only just got these. I can't swallow them- I did crush the first one ,I read you cannot do this I really want to try these I don't know whether to take them now "

Nicoooo123 April 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Smoking Cessation: "I have been on bupropion for 8 days and I have to say this pill is short of a miracle. The first 3 days, instead of smoking, I used the patch. Since that day I have gone nicotine free. A few side affects are I'm a little foggy brained, my hands are shaking and I'm awake between 3-4 every morning however last night I was able to fall back asleep within an hour where usually I couldn't so that may be going away, fingers crossed. Overall highly recommended"

Michelle2354 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Smoking Cessation: "I only now smoke after eating sometimes, and when drinking. Other than that. I don't smoke more than 3 cigs a day for the most part. I used to smoke a pack and a half a day"

Erin0423 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Major Depressive Disorder: "My parents recently divorced. I had just moved. Life was a mess, smoking/pot everyday. I didn't see a future and that made me unhappy. I took a year off school to put my life back together, and am using wellbutrin as a tool to do so. I'm on at 300mg generic. I think the wellbutrin makes you look in a different perspective. Hard to explain, but I saw how far in a hole I was and what I need to do to get to the happiness I wanted. This new light and I've been taking each day as a mission to reach it. I assume this is where the ADHD effect comes into play. Careful with alcohol though Wellbutrin combo makes you do stupid things. And pot is scary.. trust me! but allowed me to stop smoking and begin a new journey to a great future. Hopefully :)"

Mountain-Top March 31, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I was feeling very depressed this winter. A combination of SAD and life. I was irritable, unmotivated, unsociable, negative and sad. I could hardly recognize myself. I was nervous to try an anti depressant as I'd heard weight gain an loss of sex drive were often side affects. That would've depressed me more! But my doctor said that Wellbutrin was often referred to as the skinny sexy pill. Now that made it sound a whole lot better. I know it seems hard to believe, but day three I felt like a weight had lifted...not sure if it can work that fast but I was able to jump out of bed and feel motivated. My appetite has decreased, I'm happy, my libido is still as good as ever and I have experienced 0 side effects Luv it!"

Happyagain:-) March 30, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I started taking Zyban 4 weeks ago. I'm on the 12 week course of treatment. I've been smoking 17 years (started smoking at age 11) I'm now 28. I've tried quitting many times with patches and the gum and even tried the vape cigs. My quit date was March 16th and I have cravings but they don't bother me. It's weird but it's just like a quick thought that pops up and then you are like nope not today and its over with. The main side effect I've had is drowsiness. I've slept a lot. After I take my dose, I literally pass out and wake up hours later. Also, I feel drained, but I'm thinking these side effects may be my body going through withdrawal. I have felt a little nervousness here and there. Overall, it's been good."

Tater923 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Hi, I've been on Wellbutrin for about 6 weeks now. At first everything was great. I felt good, slept well and seemed content. That is until a couple weeks ago. I noticed that things I used to just brush off have really started to bother me. I am crying a lot and the latest has been nausea and acid stomach. I hardly want to eat. I can't think of anything else but the medication that is causing all of this to happen. I'm calling the dr tomorrow to get off this and go back to what I was on before. The reason I switched is because weight gain. Sure Wellbutrin has caused me to lose some weight, but that's because I can hardly eat! I'm glad it's working for some. Just not me. "

Not fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Smoking Cessation: "I am 37 years old and have been smoking since I was 12. I smoked 2 packs per day for the last 20 years. I started Bupropion XL 9 days ago 150mg in the AM. The first 2 days I didn't feel any different. On the 3rd day cigarettes tasted nasty. And I started to get a dry mouth. I continued to smoke for the 1 week. at the 1 week mark I started taking 300mg AM. Since I quit, I haven't had a single craving. I feel absolutely amazing. I have been experiencing some side effects though. I get dizzy and feel jittery about an hour after I take the medicine. Come the afternoon I feel fine. I would not have been able to stop smoking if it wasn't for this medicine. =)"

Bublz (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "When I was taking this JUST as a smoking cessation aid, I couldn't sleep EVER. Not even when I took half the prescribed dose and took it early in the morning. It made me crash, made me irritable and couldn't eat. But now I take it for Major Depressive Disorder and as smoking cessation, and even on 2 tablets (300mg total) I fall asleep! and not at night time...it makes me fall asleep during the day, especially after it kicks in. I can take it at 5pm and fall asleep at midnight or even before, take naps, etc. This is the only antidepressant I will take, because SSRI's do not work one bit for me. They make me feel more depressed. Wellbutrin does help my moods though. I don't get fits of rage when I take this anymore like I used too."

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I've just started and yes while I do feel something I have yet to make a full decision on if it works. My issue is focus, hard to focus on life in general , can't pay attention long enough to learn which really hurts at work. I was taking Naboline and Marijuana which helped perfectly. For whatever reason my dr wants me to try something else . My questions is if something g works why put me on something that might work ? But I'm willing to try. The first three days I have felt similar effects but not to the extent that the other drugs help. I feel a bit more irritated with people , my hearing is more sensitive and my appetite is gone."

Kwiat March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I'm taking contrave which contains zyban. Immediately my cravings were dramatically reduced. I was completely shocked because I've been trying to quit for 30 years without success. I'd always get the most unbearable tension headaches and give up. Finally I asked my doctor for help and she prescribed this. It's been almost a month now and I've only smoked a few times. It tastes horrible now and I'm not craving them at all now unless I get really stressed out. But when I do, I don't enjoy it anymore. I encourage you to try it. If you get side effects reduce the dosage til your body adjusts. Increase very gradually. Hope this helps! Good luck!"

delraybeachfl March 18, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I went to my doctor and requested a totally different medication. Medication to give me energy which support my quitting and keep me from putting on weight. Well he decided to give me Zyban. Zyban gave me the energy I needed to exercise, stay alert, keep my mind off the cravings and eat a healthy diet. I lost weight on Zyban. After 2 weeks smoking with the medication I had my last smoke. The cravings were incredibly minimal. Yes I still thought about smoking and I still do. But the cravings were bearable. I could manage. They were easy! Zyban made me realise quitting smoking is easy and can be done. I urge you to try if you haven't before. No negative feedback what so ever on this drug."

exsmoker2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Was on Lexapro, first 10mg, then up to 20 after two weeks. It worked for the anxiety component, but my depression spiralled out of control to the point that I was starting to have suicidal thoughts, and had missed work because I was in a very very dark place. Also, I had almost no sexual function at all. I had no drive, no desire, I was functional but had very little sensation and it was almost impossible to get to the finish line. My doctor stopped the lexapro and started me on Bupropion XL 150. After a week on that I am like a 15 year old again in the sex drive department! My libido is through the roof all the time, and I have wonderful sensation and I am VERY VERY VERY happy about that! Time will tell, but this is a solid 10, or 11. Yay."

I feel like a teenager again! (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "The first time I took Zyban was around 2004. I was on it for a week and I was amazed how it stopped the urge to smoke BUT the side effects were awful. I experienced anxiety and what felt like deep lows. I would wake up sobbing for no reason but at least I didn't feel like a cigarette! I'm in Australia and pretty sure that we take the same levels of 150mg twice a day"

Simon1511 March 11, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Hi there I wanted to share with the ones that have dry mouth with this I also did if you go to walmart and go to the toothpaste isle find the tooth paste I believe it was called dry mouth in a blue package I used it once and it helped my dry mouth same day and other was able to use my regular toothpaste for a couple weeks before having to brush again with dry mouth tooth paste air wanted to share this because the dry mouth is what almost caused me to stop taking welbutrin but it works so great for me I wanted to try everything possible first:) really hope this helps also if you don't have insurance good rx will decrease the cost tremendously :)"

Momma3boys5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Unfortunately this medication did not work out well for me at all. I was on 150mg of Wellbutrin a generic SR version. In the first week I took the medicine first thing in the morning as directed (for me that's about 7a.m.), and the rest of the day I had intense/severe headaches. Mind you, I already take medication daily for migraines because I'm a chronic sufferer, and my migraine medication was being blown out of the water! I felt like I had several ice picks in my head. The other issue I noticed immediately was that I was having an extremely difficult time sleeping and if I did fall asleep I'd have very vivid and awful nightmares. Other apparently issues were having memory loss and abnormal behavior. Not for me!!!"

MyExperience101 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I smoked for 35 years. Pack a day. I never though I could quit. I joined a smoking cessation workshop run by a doctor and social work from the HMO I belong to. They offered an 8-week workshop and 6-month prescription of Zyban at 20% the over-the-counter cost for the drug. The first week of taking Zyban was accompanied by some side effects which I hated. (waking up early, nervous). I spoke to the workshop leaders and said I felt like quitting the drug due to the side effects. They told me to "hang on a few more days" and the side effects would disappear. They were 100% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy!!!!!!!! I took Zyban for 5 months and then weaned off of it. I never have the urge for cigarettes."

BarbClam March 7, 2017