User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Migraine Prevention
6.6

Summary of Bupropion reviews 7.4 1,584 reviews

Reviews for Bupropion

For Anxiety: "So I was put on this about 2 months ago and it has been crazy since. First my attacks got A LOT worse, I don’t mean here and there I mean everyday almost all day. It got to where I couldn’t do anything with out an attack coming up. I took this along with Trintellix. After about 2 weeks of taking both these together I heard voices. The first encounter was my mother calling my name, I walked in the kitchen and no one was in there. The second encounter was people arguing in my living room so once again so to see what’s going on and again no one was in there. Well before these meds I DID NOT hear voices, and I haven’t heard them since I stopped the bupropion. Another thing that I noticed while I was taking this is I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. And even now after stopped taking this I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep."

BettyR (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been on 300mg doses of a Bupropion (Wellbutrin) off and on for a few years now mostly because I'm undisciplined and would get out of the habit of taking them. What I have noticed is that initially when starting to take the meds, the first week or two I feel GREAT; energized, focused, motivated, happy. After a few weeks and meds have fully built up in my system (Wellbutrin is a slow build medication, so don't expect full effect until about 2 weeks in), I start to feel tired, unmotivated, hard to focus and remember complex skill sets I am not actively using, pushes my sex drive to a negative, almost addictive state. I too have very vivid and extensive dreams during the first week and then it tappers away, no weight change and general sex drive is unaffected until a few weeks in when it seems to get compulsive, but I think that's another issue with me in general that it happens to prey upon."

HazyHead July 6, 2018

For Anxiety: "I don't know how I feel about Wellbutrin? I was prescribed it due to anxiety. I think it's helped a bit with it, but there are still some situations I get in and need to take an Ativan to calm me down. I definitely noticed the side effects: could NOT sleep, sore throat, felt sick, dry mouth. The third day I was on this I had the biggest panic attack I've ever had. I was going to stop taking it but thought I might as well try it out for the month. As for smoking, I still have a smoke here or there but I definitely notice I don't crave them AS much as I did before. Also I've had three people tell me I've lost weight since I started taking it so I suppose it helps with that as well. I still do crave junk food though, I've read in a lot of reviews people stop craving it.. that's not the case for me! Maybe less then I used to but not completely? The side effects I listed earlier are gone now (this is my third week on it)."

IDK July 6, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I just recently discontinued Wellbutrin after being on it for 8 years after suffering with worsening insomnia that was causing worsening health. It was also contributing to my worsening anxiety. Now that I am no longer on it, I am sleeping much easier and deeper and my anxiety has lessened. I am now on Effexor XR 150mg and Seroquel 50mg with Ativan 0.5mg as needed. I just received a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder which, for years, was thought to be adult ADD. I've been told by my psychiatrist that Wellbutrin is too activating for some, especially those with mood swings like me."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Wellbutrin almost killed me and I now have Grand Mal Seizures and have been diagnosed with Epilepsy that I will have for the rest of my life. I seriously think this drug should be pulled from the shelves. I know 2 people who tried to commit suicide while taking this medication. Wellbutrin has ruined my life and I would never suggest this medication to anyone."

Platinum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Since the addition of bupropion my depression has become a lot more settled and tolerable."

Rigney (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2018

For Depression: "This was prescribed by a "Hospitalist" without my knowledge, was never "consulted", never had a discussion with any medical person. After reading the write-ups here, don't believe taking it is justified in my case. Considering various conditions and other medications being taken, it is contraindicated. I had just gotten out of the hospital after having a brain tumor taken out, and I have another brain tumor. Those are just one of the contraindications. If it made any difference in "mood" (This is described by a nurse as a "mood-altering drug"),I was unable to detect it at the 75 MG once a day dosage. Since no one talked to me, or gave me a write up, I have no idea if there was any intention to raise the dosage. I listed "depression", but it could have been any of a number of other reasons. I have never smoked, so it isn't for "smoking" in my case. I'm stopping taking it."

SouthAK (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on multiple SSRI's and was convinced that antidepressants just didn't work. My doctor insisted that I try something else, because my anxiety was dictating every aspect of my life. I'm so glad that she did. After about 2 weeks on Wellbutrin, I began to realize that I felt really happy for the first time in over 2 decades. The only side-effect I've really had is occasional mild irritability. It lasts for about a half hour and happens once every week or two. Though as I've been on the medication longer, the side effects are less severe. I know this medication isn't for everyone, but whatever was wrong with me, Wellbutrin fixed it. If you're struggling with anxiety or depression, be honest with your doctor. If your medication isn't helping you, tell your doctor. If your doctor won't help you, find a new doctor. You can do this, and you deserve to be happy."

Topsy June 29, 2018

Aplenzin (bupropion) for Depression: "I survived for 20 years on many medications. Wellbutrin was hideous. On it, I couldn't sit up, walk, think...like I was dying of terminal flu. Effexor helped, but not much. Soon I gave up; my wife suggested magnet therapy. (Insurance said we had to prove that medicine didn't work for 2 years.) Time's up, but I finally got an Aplenzin sample. I knew of no similarity between Aplenzin and Wellbutrin. Hours after taking a pill (522) my face lightened as if a dark veil had been lifted, my spirits soared, I had focus and motivation to accomplish tasks, and I wasn't raging as much. I haven't felt this way for 20 years...no, forever! No comparison...I have no idea about its efficacy long-term, but I rated Aplenzin 9, because of side effects (which I gladly embrace). Our chemistries are all different; different drugs effect everyone in a personal way. All I can say is...I finally found the medicine I've needed for 66 years!"

Chuck June 24, 2018

For ADHD: "I started Wellbutrin SR 150mg twice per day about a week ago. I have noticed a huge difference. I am alert, active, and in a much better mood. I can focus on everything and I am not irritable or angry when I am coming off of the medication. Truly amazing, and better than adderall in my opinion. You cannot build up a tolerance for it, unlike adderall."

mcbham (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

For Depression: "I have BPD I suffer trauma from my childhood. Anyways I was looking desperately for a med to be a type of mood stabilizer. This medication did not work for me one bit. I went on it for two weeks and I BROKE OUT in cystic acne and got geographic tongue. These things are not serious but it was enough for me to quit. I also had my first gout attack. All after wellbutrin 150 XL. I know these may contribute from other factors but I live a healthy and active lifestyle otherwise I am female and only 27. Going back on trintillex if anyone is looking for a medication that doesn't interfere with your sex drive trintillex is it. Expensive but well worth it. I am currently on the 5 and will be increasing to the 10. I am not worried as those who reported decrease in sex drive were nearly the same as placebo in studies. Wellbutrin is not worth it it is complete garbage. It made me very angry and hostile, got nothing done during the day and wonder why. I was an angry psychopath on wellbutrin. Never again"

Janelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "After being on several medications and therapy for over a year and experiencing numerous suicidal thoughts, I had given up on life. I read reviews on here of people saying “be patient and your life will change.” My life never changed and I was stuck in the same lifeless routine everyday. I now take 187.5mg of Effexor XR with 150 Wellbutrin XR, and trust me it took months for things to improve but everything changed. Suddenly life didn’t seem so awful. I began making goals for myself, and I wanted to get up and be active instead of sleeping my depression away. I do get slightly depressed here and there but nothing so bad that I would want to end my life. Please don’t give up hope... reach out to someone you love and trust, they will help you get through this difficult time. And be patient even if it takes two years. It took me almost two years of suffering to get to where I am now. There is light at the end of the tunnel :) feel free to ask any questions you might have."

Inspiration789 June 22, 2018

For Depression: "I've been taking celexa 40mg for about 6-7 years now and it's worked for me. Depression came back when I found out my partner was cheating for last two - three years. It was awful. Doctor gave me buproprion 150mg. Its been nearly 2 months on this medication and I'm starting to feel not so depressed. Mind you I'm also a regular meth user for almost a year everyday. I'm planning to get off it and see a pysch. I want my life back. Thanks for reading.take care"

Summer S (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I'm a 19 year old who suffers from bipolar depressive and anxiety. I had this since about I was 9 years old as I had a rough childhood, in Texas alone from Arizona. I work in a nursing home. Okay, recently I got a prescribed to bupropion and it helps a lot. I'm 8 months into taking these meds. And I feel like my life is more positive and active. The first week was hard and I felt rubbish , but the more you take it (responsibly) mind and body starts to get used of the bupropion."

Ann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2018

For Depression: "Suffering from opioid use disorder (taking Suboxone) and as a consequence severe fatigue and sadness, so my psychiatrist put me on this. The drug helped me a lot to get my life back together as it gives me the extra energy and focus I lost with addiction. I could even cut down my Suboxone dose and feeling as a human, not like my older attempts when I felt more than bad. So it definitively works for me."

Tim (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I had my first cigarette when I was seven years old, by the time I was 51 it had grown 35 a day . I tried patches, hypnotherapy and cold turkey, none worked. Cold turkey was the worse, it gave me pains in the stomach for 9 days in a row. I eventually went to my doctor for help and he recommended Zyban. Almost immediately it worked. Day 1 wasn't the best, but by day 4 I had the smoking habit licked. For me it is a miracle because I always thought that I would never beat it. But Zyban saved me. That was 12 years ago, I now know that under no circumstances will I ever smoke cigarettes again. I can' t thank the manufacturers or my doctor enough for my release of this evil addiction"

Ajax (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "Anxiety attacks are less frequent. I feel much better since I have been taking bupropion."

Andy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I started on welbutrin (100mg) a little over a year ago to treat bulimia. It helps so much. I don't get nearly as anxious or depressed so I don't feel the need to over eat. I have also noticed an overall better feeling while on welbutrin."

Shelly (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 5, 2018

For Smoking Cessation: "My doctor put me on Wellbutrin XL to stop smoking and it does nothing."

Justosmart (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2018

For Smoking Cessation: "A few years ago I wanted to quit smoking and my mother had a few bottles of Welbutrin SR. I knew it was used to help people quit smoking because my boss had told me that's what he used. I took it and ended up quitting for about 4 months then I ran out of tablets. Didn't have good insurance then. So fast forward to now here I am on day 5 of taking Welbutrin SR because I really want to quit smoking. I'm starting to feel like the cigs are starting to taste nasty. Still smoking as I know it can take 2 weeks to stop completely. However, I hope it works like it did the last time because I've been ready to quit. I just need to get my husband on board too. Only side effects I've been having is my hands tremble which will go away, I feel anxious even though I'm on 6mg of Xanax a day. I just feel like I don't know what to do. I feel a lot happier. I will update on my experience once I get a few weeks in. Last time it worked PERFECT!"

Nichole (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I’m female, 62 and have been on 150mg/day for over two years; I quit smoking after 40 years and quit taking this - that was a mistake!! I’ve always had some depression but didn’t take anything for it (except that I tried sertaline for a few months though.) Anyway once I got off of it I started smoking again for a month, then threw them down and got back on the Wellbutrin; that was 16 months ago. The only side effects I’ve noticed is that my cholesterol levels are going up but I am trying to control that by my diet. I don’t like taking pills but this one is the only one I take besides vitamins. It helped me quit smoking, (when Chantix made me nauseous) so two thumbs up!!"

Still Not Smoking (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2018

For ADHD: "I have pretty severe ADD. I forget what I am talking about in the middle of a sentence quite badly. After about a week on this drug I noticed a huge change in my ability to remember things and this really helped increase my productivity."

Seattle chica May 29, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I was suffering from adjustment disorder mixed anxiety and depression. I’ve dealt with anxiety before— but a life transition triggered a massive downward spiral filled with panic, sleeplessness (yet still too much sleep), decreased focus, extreme apathy, no motivation, suicidal thoughts, unrealistic fears, etc. PCP suggested Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, I desperately agreed. I felt like medication was my last hope. Within 2 weeks, I felt like I was able to function (improved motivation). Within a month, my anxiety and other symptoms were under control. I experienced side effects for the first week— headache, some impulsivity. And for the first month, my sleep schedule was disturbed (I tried moving the time I took Wellbutrin... sometimes it helped, but the side effect was gone by month 2 anyway). Wellbutrin saved my life. I’ve been on Wellbutrin for 4 months now. It doesn’t fix everything of course, but it really helps me combined with healthy coping and CBT."

Kate May 26, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I was on Prozac 20 mg and because it made me feel so good, I would just stop taking them on my own accord which made me crash. I decided instead of taking them seriously and continue taking them, I would try Wellbutrin. The first two weeks were awful. I had ringing in my ears to the point where I wish I was deaf, My body was incredibly sore for no physical reason, I felt huge pressure and anxiety in my chest, I stopped working out, and didn't want to do anything but lay in bed and watch Netflix which is so not me. I am now 3-4 weeks in and I don't have much anxiety BUT I feel like I developed OCD, I can't stop cutting the tip of my tongue on my teeth and it hurts. My mouth is so dry, I can't even put on eyeliner because it's like I have Parkinsons disease. I am going to switch back to prozac today."

KADEZKO May 23, 2018

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Ok, so I started taking Zyban about 2 weeks before my quit date. It helped me with cravings and also the anxiety, associated with not-smoking was gone. No side effects experienced."

Arsi (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018