User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Zyban, Aplenzin, Buproban, Budeprion XL, Forfivo XL, Budeprion, Budeprion SR

Seasonal Affective Disorder

6.3

Summary of Bupropion reviews 7.3 1,829 reviews

Reviews for Bupropion

Sadyspring · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2019

For Depression: "I take lamotrigine and bupropion together for PTSD and depression. The bupropion was added on for demotivation once my avoidance, anxiety, and intrusive thoughts were controlled by lamotrigine. Well, ladies and gentlemen, I definitely have motivation now. In fact, if I decide to be lazy on the weekend, I start to bug out inside my head, so it kind of forces me to stay busy. Also, I seem to have a sustained attitude of not caring about what people think about me, which is a huge plus! Although, I will say that I get a little overly agitated by people being stupid. Maybe not the best look on me to openly show that at work..."

M · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Since patients come to this site to gauge whether to try a new prescription, I'll describe how Wellbutrin XL 150mg has affected me in one week. I asked my doctor to switch from Celexa since it was just OK, but not as effective as I wanted. The first side effects I have been experiencing are: drowsiness in the mornings (not fatigue, but cold medicine), heart palpitations (when I have tea or coffee in the morning; coffee is 10x worse no matter when I drink it, even decaf). Also, in the afternoons or evenings I get this heavy, weighted feeling all over my body, like it's too hard to lift arms and legs, plus added sleepiness. On the plus side, I have not felt depressed or unmotivated. Above all, my libido has gone from 0 to 100 in a few days (I have never been completely mentally and physically engaged in sex before; something on my mind always got in the way)."

Kitkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 18, 2019

For Depression: "This bupropion pill was good to me in high school for a little bit. The pros were: I got very good sleep with it, my appetite was a lot better then what it was before. Now for the cons: I started getting bad stomach cramps because I would just eat all the time, very robot to life situations, I didn’t have much emotion and what made me get off the pill was these vivid terrible nightmares that I had. This is just my experience doesn’t mean it will happen to you :)"

E. · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2019

For Depression: "I have PTSD, anxiety, and depression. I didn't notice any major side effects and it really takes the edge off. I haven't had any panic attacks/episodes since starting and feel less anxious and depressed. While it's not a cure, it definitely takes the edge off for me, and I can function much better in most regards. It also takes away my desire to engage in former vices like drinking. Only a 9/10 because it also detracts from my sex drive (not a ton, though enough where I noticeably don't desire it as often) and I feel like I'm slightly dissociated at all times."

Robert · Taken for less than 1 month August 17, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I’m very pleased with the results after only two weeks. I have a lot more energy, I feel more social, and I don’t feel sad. There are side effects however. I’m having trouble sleeping, I’m sweating more, and I feel a little irritable and kind of wound up. I’m having some trouble doing one thing and Finishing it before starting something else. Also I’ve lost about 4 pounds in two weeks and I don’t feel hungry. I am a little concerned that I’m looking too thin. But the overall positive affects outweigh the negative for me so far."

Not happy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 16, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I started Wellbutrin about 5 months ago dose was increased and since then I've now noticed mood swings. My dad and I have a great relationship but lately it's fizzled, today I looked into the side effects of Wellbutrin and found I have a lot of them but I'm mainly concerned with inattention, getting mad real easy, that's not the kind of person I am. I am now stopping the medicine altogether and I should come back to how I was before."

mike · Taken for 10 years or more August 16, 2019

For Depression: "I am amazed. For years I have been taking Wellbutrin Generic 300 XL 1x/day for depression. Usually the generic brand dispensed had been Actavis - the oval. About a week ago, I realized I can get my generic cheaper than my insurance rate using one of the Rx discount cards so I refilled at a different pharmacy where they dispensed the Slate Run brand of Bupropion HCL XL 300mg - a brand I had never seen. It is not my imagination. The difference is night and day, in a very good way. I am saying, "this is how the drug is supposed to work" - Much greater efficacy. I can only hope that it isn't difficult to specify to the pharmacist that I want this specific generic brand, because this is most definitely a noticeable improvement. Much more alert, elevated mood, seems to release more consistently for the full 24 hour period each day. I welcome any feedback. Thanks!"

It's not great Tbh · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 15, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I've been on bupropion for over a year and a half and it sucks. Yeah it sorta helped with my depression but I haven't had an orgasm since I started taking it. Like not even close. Its awful, obviously not being able to climax hasn't helped with my depression. I've stopped taking them at this point, hoping I can come soon."

MEH · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "How much was your guys starting dose with bupropion I am put on very low doseage of 75 MG SR because I am bipolar and my dr always seem to put low dose on different meds before increasing and how long did it take for you to work. thanks"

Catlady · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2019

For Depression: "Took bupropion in 2008 suffered all the bad side effects that the doctors told me it would pass, I ended up in hospital and it showed I had a heart attack at age 29 - even though I was extremely fit and healthy. After that I have suffered panic attacks for the last 12 years I never had anxiety before I took this medication. Beware this med is not good if you have bad side effects please stop taking it"

Isabelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Wellbutrin worked for the first few days for me- but I think that was just a placebo effect. I still wanna die like all the time."

Not Myself · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

For Anxiety: "My Dr. has been helping me with anxiety & panic attacks. I was first put on Zoloft (lowest dose you can get) once a day. It worked fairly well & I would use half a xanex on days I needed it. But the numbness during intimacy never went away. So, eased off of Zoloft & started Bupropion Hcl Xl-150 mg. The angry mood swings started on day 3. I’m in week 4 of this now & hate it! I thought I’d give it 3 weeks before I made up my mind. Now I’m angry, moody, sulking or crying almost daily. Problems I didn’t have prior. Making me more anxious. But sex is great now :/ I guess xanax is the only thing that works for my anxiety. I’m calling my Dr on Monday."

MLD112 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2019

For Obesity: "My doctor prescribed me Wellbutrin/bupropion when my insurance wouldn’t cover Contrave. I have a hard time making good food choices when I always felt hungry, which has been since I had my son 3 years ago. The bupropion really suppresses my appetite and makes it easier to choose healthy foods. I am down 9 lbs in the first four weeks."

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 9, 2019

For Depression: "I was prescribed Wellbutrin (Bupropion XL) after the sudden loss of my husband 3 months ago. After a couple months, I needed some help getting out of bed and just functioning. I weighed 155lb when I started it. 50, fit, work out regularly. I did have a few headaches at first, but nothing Excedrin couldn't handle. I've been on it now for about 6 weeks and I feel great. I was an avid vaporer and now have no craving for that, so that's good. Cravings for Diet Coke went away too. My focus and concentration is great. BUT, I have gained weight. Today I weight 167lb. I'm cool with it, because my mood is so great, but if I gain anymore that will be a problem so I need to watch it. I don't know if the weight gain is from the drug or the combination of a lot of stress with the loss of my husband, pre-menopause, and wacky schedule."

JesseRae89 August 9, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I've had very bad experiences with SSRI's. Mainly with Weight gain and sexual side effects. I experienced none of these issues with Wellbutrin. I ended up dropping it however as I started to notice early after taking it my heart rate would be insane and I felt ready to run through a wall. Not a pleasant feeling when you deal with a panic disorder. If I could not have that side effect I'd much more prefer this drug."

Susanne · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2019

For Depression: "I had several trauma experiences from the war in Syria and could not forget them. I had to howl every day and I felt bad. In addition, I had suicidal thoughts so I went to the doctor for psychiatrists. He prescribed me bupropion I took the drug and had almost no side effects. After a month, I was well and could continue my life. At the end of May I felt bad again and increased the dose from 150mg to 300mg, which made the dark thoughts stronger and I went to a clinic. Maybe I had to talk to a psychotherapist to solve the personal problems and manage the trauma shock, but I didn't."

Charles · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2019

For ADHD: "Works great if you have ADHD!! It does the exact same for me that Adderall 30mg accomplishes, without the Hyperfocus/crash! Bupropion HCL is more of a mood stabilizer for me and keeps me from freaking out over different work tasks. I take 150mg's 2x daily, 1 in the morning, and in the evening after I work after 3:30pm. You can't tell when the medicine kicks in, it you just feel more balanced throughout the day."

Andy · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2019

For Smoking Cessation: "Okay, so this is a life changer. Hands down. I've been smoking since 14, now am turning 32 next month. I drive semi so I smoked a lot. 3 packs a day, every day. I couldn't go more than 10 mins without lighting up. My family (mom, dad and cousin) all took this to quit. I figured I'd give it a go since I feel god awful everyday. Lots of pain, coughing. Today is the 5th day. I have cut down dramatically. I smoke half a pack to a pack a day now. But that was with one pill a day only. Today, I upped it to two pills. I can honestly say this has changed my life already. To wake up, and not light a smoke before getting out of bed is amazing. I seriously can't remember ever being able to do that. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to quit. I have a pack in my pocket right now (old habits) and I don't even want one!"

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2019

For ADHD: "Garbage for my ADHD. Doctor even upped the dosage, still leaving personal daily used effects everywhere, still unable to concentrate on simple tasks. Having the inability to focus and wanting to simultaneously leads to fits of rage. Idk how this ever got considered for ADHD"

anxiouscharlie · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 4, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I've been taking Wellbutrin along with medications for OCD and ADHD for many years now. I take this to improve my mood, give me a bit of energy, and counteract some of the sexual side effects that come along with my other meds. This med makes me "racy," and forget certain words sometimes, but I do feel less lethargic and the feelings of hopelessness and desperation have gone away. Interestingly, I was smoking cigarettes when I began this medication and within days the cigarettes started tasting nasty. Found out this drug is an anti-smoking drug and can see why. So, if you smoke (and are looking to quit) this drug could help you in that area as well."

blacklove · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2019

For Depression: "Bupropion is the only depression medicine that doesn’t make me gain weight, I don’t feel tired or anything my BMI is back to normal and everything is getting better, This also stopped me from smoking and eating too much. This is it - I’ve found my fix."

RN Manager · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 4, 2019

For Anxiety: "Taking 150mg of this medication has helped me with anxiety and work related stress. I have taken it for two years. Attempts to increase dosage resulted in nervousness and depression. I did initially have insomnia and dizziness. Dizziness resolve within a week. Insomnia took several months but was tolerable because the medication initially, and for several months increased my energy level and alertness. It freed me from being overwhelmed with job stress which I internalized."

Cherry August 4, 2019

For Depression: "I had struggled with major depression for as long as I could remember. As a child, even, I was depressed for no obvious reason. I had accepted that I would never be ‘cured’ of it despite my therapist insisting otherwise. After 6 different antipsychotics and all the side effects that came with them (with no benefits), I begged my Pdoc to let me try an antidepressant. She recommended bupropion. A week into it, I was noticeably more stable and had increased energy. About 3 months later, I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, I no longer have mood swings and act abusive toward the ones I love due to my own self hatred, I’m not so paranoid it’s paralyzing, I quit smoking, my once crippling anxiety is nearly non-existent, and I even find myself giggling to myself for no reason most days. This drug is a miracle; it’s given me everything I’ve always wanted and never thought I’d achieve. Oh, and the enhanced libido."

Naomij · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Started taking Wellbutrin for depression and anxiety and it has been awful! Started on 150 mg for the first three days, then went up to 300 mg. This was the worst thing to take if you have anxiety associated with your depression. I've always had anxiety but not this bad! It made it so much worse and I was paranoid, having panic attacks, and couldn't sleep. I will never take this again and do NOT recommend this at all."

Fightthegoodfight August 3, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I took bupropion for MDD several years ago. It was initially very helpful. All in all, it is a good medicine; but after years of taking it, I found that it slowly but surely negatively effected my relationships and professionalism due to not being able to stay calm during conversations and feeling restless. I would constantly interrupt my boss when he was talking for example. At the time, I thought I was just an overly nervous person with no social skills but when I got off the medicine my life became very peaceful. Depression did come back though. Yet I will say withdrawal were nonexistent. So it’s really a matter of determining what is of most importance to treat. If you have anxiety, I suggest staying clear of this medicine. But, if you are primarily depressed or if your anxiety stems from add then this medicine may help."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)