User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Zyban, Buproban, Aplenzin, Budeprion, Forfivo XL, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL

Seasonal Affective Disorder

Persistent Depressive Disorder
6.3

Summary of Bupropion reviews 7.3 1,740 reviews

Reviews for Bupropion

For Smoking Cessation: "I was already taking Lexapro for anxiety and panic attack. I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL for nicotine withdrawal. I took it for 4 days and it gave me dizziness, panic attacks, severe anxiety and tight chest pain and fever and aches and pains. Since I stopped taking it I still have dizzy spells . It say it can be used for nicotine withdrawal, but I am not sure about the interactions with my other meds.\"

A.R.S (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2019

For Depression: "I was on bupropion for 2 months (150 mg/d) and it gave me more concentration, energy and motivation, but increased restlessness and anxiety. My emotions were also quite numb for the time I was on it (not sure if it was due to the med or my condition). Bupropion worked a bit on depression, but I also had some anxiety so decided to switch for another med."

Henkk4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I'm nasty with Wellbutrin, irritability is a side effect so my dosage was cut in half. Seemed ok for a short time not back to the nasties. Seems occasionally some days I'm ok for a short time about 1-2hours, then back to being irritable. Can't even stand myself. Such a hard day trying to suppress the anger for the sake of others. This alone is causing depression symptoms."

dana (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Wellbutrin was a terrible medication for me. It gave me a lot of anger, my mood worsened much more and loss of libido. But the worse side effect was a MAJOR and TOTAL loss of memory. Never taking anymore."

Tomnik (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2019

For Depression: "I’m very depressed person who tends to eat to cope with my feelings so the first time I took bupropion it really helped me control my eating habits and I lost a good amount of weight. Until the side effect symptoms kicked in, headaches that lasted all day, restless nights, and the worse dry mouth and a sore throat that wouldn’t go away. After a few weeks of experiencing these I stopped taking this medication. It wasn’t until a year later (now) that I gained over 20lbs from my depressive eating that I've decided to start it once again. Now on the third day I don’t feel any better emotionally, and physically my headaches are back and the restless nights are too; but I've lost 4lbs and food is just food. I don’t get the urge to stuff my face with food cause I’m sad and in all honestly I think I’m going to continue to take these even with all the side effects I think bupropion is worth it."

Alex (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2019

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Was on paxil for 2 years and basically became celibate. Absolutely no desire for sex and orgasms were few and far between and lackluster. I started on the Wellbutrin 1 month ago. No big changes until today when I had a spontaneous orgasm while I was working! Very embarrassing, but hopeful? At least my lady bits aren't depressed anymore! Will follow up with the doctor. Overall an improvement"

Jill (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2019

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I have just turn my life around with this bupropion. I have energy. I love doing things where before I just was a couch potato. Lost couple pounds. Had sex and wow 10+ from my wife. I'm like 25 years younger. Doc kind of went with bi-polor thing and guess she nailed. Depression thing of the past. I suffered with pain after bad accident and I'm not needing the narcotic pills as much. Yea"

Mikey D (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "This worked amazingly for my mood and really helped me get through a very dark time but this medication unfortunately caused me to develop severe cystic acne on my face. It was after a couple of months on the medication that the acne started develop and it only got worse from then. As soon as I stopped the medication, the acne disappeared almost immediately but I am left with a lot of scarring. I tried countless creams and tablets for the spots but nothing worked therefore coming of wellbutrin was the only option which was a shame because this pill was a life saver for me."

Nicole (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2019

For Smoking Cessation: "This medicine is a powerful antidepressant for me. And by the third day I did not wake up craving a single cigarette, and also because it completely blocked the effects from nicotine in my brain. I also found that it greatly increased my energy and willpower. The downsides for me were extreme anxiety and insomnia (I had to take clonazepam to handle it, because it was so difficult. But gets easier with time). Truly life-changing for those who want to quit."

JustABird (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2019

Aplenzin (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been on Wellbutrin for years my doctor tried me on aplenzia 522mg I felt better and there was hope then my insurance quit paying for it. What sense does it make, to make a drug that no one can afford and give out samples and make people get false hope they things will get better. I feel this is just cruel !! But it is a good drug if some how afford it !! It was possible that I could concentrate didn't gain weight! Felt almost normal!! Thanks for letting me down"

BB (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2019

For Smoking Cessation: "I was very skittish about taking Welllbutrin because I didn't want to be "labeled" as someone who took an antidepressant medication. After coming to terms with it, I started taking the Wellbutrin 6 days ago. I've been smoking as I usually do, but am finding myself wanting that cigarette less and less and it almost felt like I was just smoking because the clock said it was time to do so . Suddenly, Today, I am really not wanting to smoke at all. I will probably stay on Wellbutrin for another couple of weeks to ensure that I can be successful with being a non-smoker. I would recommend Wellbutrin as a stop-smoking aid. It certainly has helped me!"

Weezie May 2, 2019

For Anxiety: "My doctor prescribed Buprupion for my anxiety, first we tried the 150 XL, that didn't seem to work, so they upped it to 300 XL, I've been on it for almost three weeks, had two panic attacks, mild migraines, and nausea. I called and told them what was going on and they lowered the dosage back to 150 XL. Note I've never had a panic attack before. I've had anxiety, but not to the point we're I thought my life was in danger. I am planning on going off this medication when I see my PCP in two weeks."

Mavel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2019

For Smoking Cessation: "I voted 10/10 because this is the one thing that helped me quit smoking. I use this for SAD (Seasonal affective disorder a type of depression) as well."

JD (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 27, 2019

For Depression: "Took bupropion for almost two weeks, it made me so sick. Dizzy, pressure in my head, blurred vision & nausea out of this world. Didn’t take it today & the nausea still seems to have no end, not to mention I’ve been having the most vivid crazy dreams. I wouldn’t not recommend this medication at all. Can’t wait for it to leave my system so I can feel normal again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2019

For Depression: "I am just on my second week of bupropion and I am in the darkest of places that my mind has ever taken me. I can not stop crying, I feel dead inside . This drug should be banned."

SPROG (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for : "I have adult ADHD, diagnosed very late, and generalized anxiety with panic attacks that also started very recently. My doctor prescrived Wellbutrin XL and gave me buspirone for the anxiety. Not only did the Wellbutrin not have any positive effects, as far as I've noticed, it made things much harder for me, too. It gave me impatience, agitation, the need to explode, yell and break. I had a bad outburst and have to cut the medication now. I was really hopeful because many people gave excellent reviews. If you have anxiety, you should probably go for a different drug or be very careful with Wellbutrin, as anxiety is NOT a listed condition for this "

Cenk (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2019

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Several years ago, I took Wellbutrin-SR 150mg twice a day, for depression and SAD. But the pharmacy substituted generic bupropion and my insurance denied the Wellbutrin brand. I immediately started having hand tremors, agitation, and crying. I spoke with my psychiatrist on an emergency appointment, and he recognized generic instead of brand name so called my pharmacist who insisted that the generic was exactly the same as the brand. It took the doctor to call my insurance company to get approval of the brand drug under my plan, and everything went back to normal. My psychiatrist passed away a few years later. Now, I find myself in the same situation and my new doctor has not been successful in getting my insurance to authorize the brand name. I tried generic again with same reactions. I cannot afford the brand, so I continue to struggle. Has anyone else experienced adverse reactions to generic bupropion and discovered any discounts to make Wellbutrin-SR affordable?"

Lov April 20, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "After a few bouts of mild depression, I entered a more major depressive period about two years ago. I told my psychiatrist I was so sad "my teeth hurt". I was unmotivated, hopeless, and really just sooo sad all the time. My doctor tried to give me an SSRI but I pushed for Wellbutrin due to the lack of sexual side effects and weight gain with SSRIs. The first couple of weeks on it, I was on a total high. I remember dancing around with my kids and literally jumping around at the playground like a crazy lady. Once that levelled off I was just "me" again. No other way to put it than I feel totally normal now. I still get sad, happy, angry (so I'm not flat) but all within a normal range. The ONLY negative for me is that if I miss a dose I turn into a raging crazy lady. I feel like I'm withdrawing from hard drugs. It definitely makes me scared of when the time comes to try and get off of it, but for now it's worth it."

young & depressed April 17, 2019

For Smoking Cessation: "I was actually prescribed this for anxiety and noticed that I stopped even thinking about having a cigarette (mind you I only smoked 2 to 3 cigarettes a day) but I just stopped craving them all together. Even my husband noticed. I started to research why this was happening and the only thing I could think of was it must be the new medicine the doctor put me on? I looked it up, Wellbutrin was in fact also used for quitting smoking! My doctor didn’t even know that I smoke because I did it so rarely and sporadically."

Sunshine April 17, 2019

For Anxiety: "Bupropion works really well for my ability to focus on tasks, as someone who as struggled my whole life with focus it is a godsend. Also helps SOO much with cigarette cravings as a heavy smoker and works really well with an increase in libido. Otherwise I cannot say it really does a whole lot for my anxiety. I would give this medication a 10 BUT my fiance (several months ago) tried to take this medication and after 4 days of an increase from 150mg to 300mg committed suicide. So PLEASE know your internal rhythms and let someone monitor you on ANY new medication because EVERY medication reacts with everyones chemical systems uniquely."

Myself (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2019

For Smoking Cessation: "I didn’t start smoking as young as most do. I started in 2015 at the age of 25. I’m 29 now. I tried everything to quit smoking. Patches, gum, hypnosis, even acupuncture. I felt like taking this medication is my last shot at ever quitting. Tomorrow April 15, 2019 will be 2 weeks on Bupropion (Wellbutrin or Zyban) I have now been 6 days smoke free. And I feel great. No cravings, no withdrawal, no irritability It actually feels pretty great. My clothes don’t stink anymore, my car doesn’t stink, and my girlfriend even said she thought I lost a few pounds (can’t drink while taking these meds and I LOVE beer) The downsides to these meds is I do have trouble sleeping and have had some weird dreams. This makes me feel tired as well as constipated. Lots of coffee seems to help I opted for this over Chantix tho as the doctor said it has less negative psychological side effects. So I’d still recommend this is you want to quit"

Big_Wave_Dave (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Was prescribed bupropion for depression & PTSD; I also have anxiety issues. The doctor told me this would give me more energy and help me feel like myself again. Was told to give it up to 6 weeks to work. I have been on it over a year with no major difference. Haven't felt any better than before, but my PTSD is severe so it could be related to that. I have awful memory problems now (example is forget words during conversation, forget why I went into a store to the point where I leave confused with nothing, & never end up remembering). It is insanely frustrating, and it's severe enough that people notice and have taken advantage of it. I also have a terrible time sleeping - I get maybe 4 hours a night on average. I have gained about 10 pounds as well. The only difference I've seen is a slight decrease in anxiety, & haven't had quite as bad PMS (decrease in headaches & crankiness). I'm begging to try a different med because I really just want to feel better, and my depression scares me."

someday (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2019

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Took Zyban as prescribed for 6 days and decided to quit smoking on day 7. Today is day 78 of my quitting and I stopped taking the pills after 2 months. This is my first quit attempt after 33 years of smoking 25 a day. I believe Zyban helped a lot and can recommend it for sure, but you still need to want to quit."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2019

For Depression: "I've been taking this medication for about a week. At first I was shocked at such a difference it was making in motivating me but I started experiencing side effects. Dizzy spells, muscle twitches, dry mouth, scary thoughts, numbness in one hand. I personally believe I'm better off without it! The side effects have scared me to not touch another medicine. :/"

dragonflies (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Wellbutrin with Zoloft works very well for me, it helps depression and anxiety."

cvoor (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2019