User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Seasonal Affective Disorder 13 reviews 2 medications

Persistent Depressive Disorder 3 reviews 3 medications

5.5
Summary of Bupropion reviews 1288 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Bupropion

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Hi, I've been on Wellbutrin for about 6 weeks now. At first everything was great. I felt good, slept well and seemed content. That is until a couple weeks ago. I noticed that things I used to just brush off have really started to bother me. I am crying a lot and the latest has been nausea and acid stomach. I hardly want to eat. I can't think of anything else but the medication that is causing all of this to happen. I'm calling the dr tomorrow to get off this and go back to what I was on before. The reason I switched is because weight gain. Sure Wellbutrin has caused me to lose some weight, but that's because I can hardly eat! I'm glad it's working for some. Just not me. "

Not fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Smoking Cessation: "I am 37 years old and have been smoking since I was 12. I smoked 2 packs per day for the last 20 years. I started Bupropion XL 9 days ago 150mg in the AM. The first 2 days I didn't feel any different. On the 3rd day cigarettes tasted nasty. And I started to get a dry mouth. I continued to smoke for the 1 week. at the 1 week mark I started taking 300mg AM. Since I quit, I haven't had a single craving. I feel absolutely amazing. I have been experiencing some side effects though. I get dizzy and feel jittery about an hour after I take the medicine. Come the afternoon I feel fine. I would not have been able to stop smoking if it wasn't for this medicine. =)"

Bublz (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "When I was taking this JUST as a smoking cessation aid, I couldn't sleep EVER. Not even when I took half the prescribed dose and took it early in the morning. It made me crash, made me irritable and couldn't eat. But now I take it for Major Depressive Disorder and as smoking cessation, and even on 2 tablets (300mg total) I fall asleep! and not at night time...it makes me fall asleep during the day, especially after it kicks in. I can take it at 5pm and fall asleep at midnight or even before, take naps, etc. This is the only antidepressant I will take, because SSRI's do not work one bit for me. They make me feel more depressed. Wellbutrin does help my moods though. I don't get fits of rage when I take this anymore like I used too."

Chelseabergstresser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "I've just started and yes while I do feel something I have yet to make a full decision on if it works. My issue is focus, hard to focus on life in general , can't pay attention long enough to learn which really hurts at work. I was taking Naboline and Marijuana which helped perfectly. For whatever reason my dr wants me to try something else . My questions is if something g works why put me on something that might work ? But I'm willing to try. The first three days I have felt similar effects but not to the extent that the other drugs help. I feel a bit more irritated with people , my hearing is more sensitive and my appetite is gone."

Kwiat March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I'm taking contrave which contains zyban. Immediately my cravings were dramatically reduced. I was completely shocked because I've been trying to quit for 30 years without success. I'd always get the most unbearable tension headaches and give up. Finally I asked my doctor for help and she prescribed this. It's been almost a month now and I've only smoked a few times. It tastes horrible now and I'm not craving them at all now unless I get really stressed out. But when I do, I don't enjoy it anymore. I encourage you to try it. If you get side effects reduce the dosage til your body adjusts. Increase very gradually. Hope this helps! Good luck!"

delraybeachfl March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I went to my doctor and requested a totally different medication. Medication to give me energy which support my quitting and keep me from putting on weight. Well he decided to give me Zyban. Zyban gave me the energy I needed to exercise, stay alert, keep my mind off the cravings and eat a healthy diet. I lost weight on Zyban. After 2 weeks smoking with the medication I had my last smoke. The cravings were incredibly minimal. Yes I still thought about smoking and I still do. But the cravings were bearable. I could manage. They were easy! Zyban made me realise quitting smoking is easy and can be done. I urge you to try if you haven't before. No negative feedback what so ever on this drug."

exsmoker2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Was on Lexapro, first 10mg, then up to 20 after two weeks. It worked for the anxiety component, but my depression spiralled out of control to the point that I was starting to have suicidal thoughts, and had missed work because I was in a very very dark place. Also, I had almost no sexual function at all. I had no drive, no desire, I was functional but had very little sensation and it was almost impossible to get to the finish line. My doctor stopped the lexapro and started me on Bupropion XL 150. After a week on that I am like a 15 year old again in the sex drive department! My libido is through the roof all the time, and I have wonderful sensation and I am VERY VERY VERY happy about that! Time will tell, but this is a solid 10, or 11. Yay."

I feel like a teenager again! (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "The first time I took Zyban was around 2004. I was on it for a week and I was amazed how it stopped the urge to smoke BUT the side effects were awful. I experienced anxiety and what felt like deep lows. I would wake up sobbing for no reason but at least I didn't feel like a cigarette! I'm in Australia and pretty sure that we take the same levels of 150mg twice a day"

Simon1511 March 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Hi there I wanted to share with the ones that have dry mouth with this I also did if you go to walmart and go to the toothpaste isle find the tooth paste I believe it was called dry mouth in a blue package I used it once and it helped my dry mouth same day and other was able to use my regular toothpaste for a couple weeks before having to brush again with dry mouth tooth paste air wanted to share this because the dry mouth is what almost caused me to stop taking welbutrin but it works so great for me I wanted to try everything possible first:) really hope this helps also if you don't have insurance good rx will decrease the cost tremendously :)"

Momma3boys5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Unfortunately this medication did not work out well for me at all. I was on 150mg of Wellbutrin a generic SR version. In the first week I took the medicine first thing in the morning as directed (for me that's about 7a.m.), and the rest of the day I had intense/severe headaches. Mind you, I already take medication daily for migraines because I'm a chronic sufferer, and my migraine medication was being blown out of the water! I felt like I had several ice picks in my head. The other issue I noticed immediately was that I was having an extremely difficult time sleeping and if I did fall asleep I'd have very vivid and awful nightmares. Other apparently issues were having memory loss and abnormal behavior. Not for me!!!"

MyExperience101 (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I smoked for 35 years. Pack a day. I never though I could quit. I joined a smoking cessation workshop run by a doctor and social work from the HMO I belong to. They offered an 8-week workshop and 6-month prescription of Zyban at 20% the over-the-counter cost for the drug. The first week of taking Zyban was accompanied by some side effects which I hated. (waking up early, nervous). I spoke to the workshop leaders and said I felt like quitting the drug due to the side effects. They told me to "hang on a few more days" and the side effects would disappear. They were 100% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy!!!!!!!! I took Zyban for 5 months and then weaned off of it. I never have the urge for cigarettes."

BarbClam March 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was on the 75mg SR formulation for a week before taking two a day. Went to 150 XL the next month and 300 XL after that. Been on it for about 3 months now. I love this medication. It's changed my life. I don't feel depressed very often anymore and combined with therapy, my life is substantially better. No side effects at all! Much better than Lexapro, which gave me bad sexual side effects."

KMDM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "Check out the article entitled " The antidepressant drug best for sex". Phycology Today"

Anonymous March 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have severe anxiety and I would get anxiety attacks everyday. My doctor first put me on Fluoxetine on the highest dosage. After a couple of months my body got use to the medication and it was helping a lot with the anxiety. But I continued still getting the anxiety attacks just not everyday. So then he put me on bupropion 300mg with the fluoxetine and after awhile my panic attacks slowly went away. Now it has been over a year since I have been on the bupropion and my dosage is reduced to 150mg and my fluoxetine dosage is lowered to 20mg. I am happy to say that I have not had a panic attack for 2 years now. This bupropion is a really good medication and I find with using the combination of the fluoxetine it has helped me amazingly. "

CaroM March 4, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "This medication has changed my life. I have been on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 3 months. From being completely reserved and unable to motivate myself to socially interact, I am now willing and able to easily socialise. I have lost close to 10kg in this time as well. I also had debilitating anxiety and paranoia which are just no longer featuring in my daily life. I am able to exercise and workout with excitement and enjoyment again and find it hard to imagine how bad my coping skills were before this med. it also increased my mental alertness and ultimately my confidence. No side effects, doesn't even feel like you are taking medication."

Helijen (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For : "Hi! I have done many searches over the past few months. I have felt so alone as I've tried to find what works. My dr prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150. The pharmacy filled it with the generic bupropion XL mft by Actavis--round white non coated pill imprinted with 141. I could tell positive results almost immediately!Excellent!! Secondly it was filled mft by Par--small white round coated pill A101. Side effects were terrible! Third was supposedly by Actavis but Actavis bought out Watson. Watson is white round coated with WPI 3331. No results whatsoever. Placebo?? So out of three, I can no longer find any generic effective. Actavis has let us down, having once had a wonderful generic but now it is useless. I am now going to name brand."

dsa2006 February 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "This medicine has worked wonders for me. I started for 2 months on 150mg and then transitioned into 300mg. At first I had anxiety a little but it went away. I am much more happy, energized, I enjoy life more and I finally started to love myself. This medicine has given me my confidence back and I started to dress better, put makeup on in the morning and care about myself. I don't know how long I will be on it but it really gave me a huge boost to start living again and being around family and friends. I also lost 20 pounds so far. I am on a diet and its very easy to follow. I think this medicine is helping since I have no cravings at all."

Alex4343 February 26, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Wellbutrin worked very effectively in treating my depression. It lifted me out of a major depression I had been in for years. However, I am facing an issue because while Wellbutrin is great for treating my depression, the side effects are terrible. I am having excessive sweating all the time and extreme dry mouth. The dry mouth is causing bad breath and cavities. I am doing everything I can to combat the dry mouth and sweating with no avail. I was told the side effects will diminish over time but it has been over a year and the side effects aren't any better. Does anyone know of effective ways to combat the side effects?"

Anonymous February 26, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "This generic was not helpful at all couldn't tell I was even taking it I Kept getting canker sores in my mouth and over eating like I couldn't get full so I stoped taking this med Took it for two months long enough to know if it was not helping ,150 HCL Xl by global Phm Took a generic about 5 yrs ago for a couple of years no problems"

Her757 February 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "It's always been effective. However, every so often I get a bottle that smells odd. I took it to the pharmacy and he noticed too. I told him I'd never noticed it before and he seemed puzzled by it also. I worry there are bad batches or tampered with prescriptions. It's not all the time it happened in 2014 also."

Californian (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Trying to get this medication from my Pharmacy because it works so well but I'm not able to because it cost $1,900 and I'm so sick and tired of getting the runaround"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Smoking Cessation: "Started smoking when I was 15 years old, and I'm 35 now. I started taking Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2 times a day. By day 3 I noticed while I was smoking a cigarette I was thinking to myself, wow I'm still not done with it yet. Wellbutrin started working after just days with me. I did have some side effects and thought I was going to have to stop the pill. But after a week the side effects went away and I quit smoking after day 8 on the Wellbutrin. I probably could still be smoking if I went and bought a pack and had them in front of me. I'm on day 3 not smoking and that's good for me because I could have never done this with Zyban! Good luck"

Sweatpea81 February 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I have been on 150MG XL for 6 months now. I was prescribed it because of the death of my teenage son and also the end of a relationship. I was diagnosed with moderate depression. I felt like a zombie with very little motivation. I always work out and have managed to stay active but still things were not right. I went on this and it has made all the difference. I will agree there is apathy while on it. The highs are not as high but the lows are not as low. You just have a quiet balance in your life and it does not feel like you are on any sort of medication. I attempted to go off of it and could already tell I felt sad so trying another 6 months. I did not lose any weight but I am pretty thin already. Wonderful medicine for me."

OnTheRunJG (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I'm gaining weight anyone else experiencing this?"

Maltisue February 21, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take 300mg in the morning. At night I take trazadone 50mg. Like any drug I had many side effects at first. But this is definitely my favourite. My sex drive has increased significantly. My quality of life has improved in the sense that this medication has helped me to become higher functioning."

Zig77777 February 20, 2017