User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin, Budeprion Forfivo XL Budeprion SR

Bupropion has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 2,560 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 20% reported a negative experience.

Depression
Migraine Prevention  Off-label
Summary of Bupropion reviews 7.0 2,560 reviews

Reviews for Bupropion

Max · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · October 19, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: “Real and honest review. I’m a 52 yo male living in Canada. I’ve been suffering from Anxiety/ADD/Depression forever. I resisted and procrastinated to take meds again for “years” because of not so great experiences with SSRI’s but also because I read way too much online which scared me off. So I suffered for years until one really bad episode that forced me to take action. I asked my doc to give me Wellbutrin (Bupropion) since it had the least negative reviews (from my years of online self-help nonsense). Started 150mg of Wellbutrin XL for 3 weeks then 300 mg plus 10mg of Citalopram ever since . It’s been LIFE CHANGING really! It’s crazy how I can finally function like a normal human being. I swore to myself that I would write a review here if I found the remedy to my suffering, so here it is. Wellbutrin XL 300mg+10mg of Citalopram has worked “wonders” for me. No more Anxiety, very low ADD and NO MORE depression I really hope this helps a few of you out there.”

alive13 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · March 20, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: “Like others on this site, I have tried so many antidepressants. SSRIs take away any sexual feeling for me, and I tend to put on weight and not have the best self image with them. Buproprion is the only medication that really allows me to FEEL my feelings, and talk more easily in social settings. After your adjust (some insomnia for a few weeks) it actually helped me to sleep better. It took me a few times of trying this medication to really get it to work for me. It helped with my anxiety rather than making it worse, but depression was my biggest problem, hopelessness, fatigue etc. This medication makes jokes funny, trees prettier and makes me feel emotionally stronger. Remember that it takes courage and patience to get help and to stick with it until it works. God bless.”

Andi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · July 31, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: “GIVE THIS MEDICATION WELLBUTRIN A FIGHTING CHANCE I almost quit a month in, but I am SO glad I didn’t and toughed out the negative side effects. When I started I felt dazed and sedated, but wired and jittery at the same time. My insomnia was horrible. Other side effects I experienced included tinnitus, horrible anxiety, hand tremors, heart palpitations, and a really short temper. I desired nothing, but had the energy to do everything - weird combo. OKAY, now for the GOOD, and things I think people should know before giving up this medication - the side effects last a LONG time (two and a half months for me), but they DO all go away. I was now able to get up early to workout, got into cooking, lost weight, and felt hopeful about life. Sex also got WAY better now that I could stop living in my head, which was a huge plus. For the first time in a long time I can really say I feel happy. So give it time!”

Lynn · Taken for 1 to 2 years · March 19, 2019

For Obesity: “Bupropion saved my life, I was on it for weight lose !!!!!! I can not say enough great things about this. I had two babies, gained over 100 pounds and was trapped in this unknown body. Lost, sad and confused. My Dr gave me this prescription and literally changed my life. I was happier, filled with energy and lost 111 pounds. The absolute best best best thing ever !!!!”

Courtney R · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 23, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: “Background: depression, anxiety, intrusive thoughts, seasonal depression I went with Wellbutrin because it had the least side effects compared to most depression medications and it was recommended by many people. I must say it really has been life changing. When I started Wellbutrin it made me think much clearer. While I still do get thoughts, they are not intrusive. My mood is stable and I feel generally happy! Week 1- sensitivity to caffeine, racing heart for one day, increased energy, appetite decreased Week 2- energy balanced out, appetite low Week 3- appetite back, energy consistent, mood improving, felt happy and no intrusive thoughts Week 4- I feel great! I do sometimes experience ringing in my ear, but nothing that is bothersome. Overall, this medication has saved me. I recommend taking this medication while seeing your therapist. Both of them together have really pushed me in the right direction.”

Browntrout · Taken for 2 to 5 years · February 27, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: “I always had a funk before I started taking Wellbuitrin. It was an underlining stress that I couldn't kick. It was hard to manage my stressful job and family. Wellbutrin has literally changed my life in so many positive ways. I manage stresses better, the feeling of a looming funk is gone and I've gotten really into running and lost a lot of weight. After about 2 years of being on Wellbutrin I slowly stopped taking it. After a few months of not being off of it I could feel familiar old feelings coming back. I've decided I like who I am better on Wellbutrin and started taking it again. Long story short I've very happy with this medication.”

Kai2277 · October 10, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: “I had an odd situation where I was not really depressed with sadness but I just felt nothing. I never got angry, never got happy- never wanted to do anything besides lay in bed. I tried to fake it as much as possible but I couldn’t anymore. I stopped answering my phone, lost all interest and motivation. I had taken all the antidepressants on the market but they made me feel crazy. My hands shook and I felt out of my body. I started researching the symptoms of low dopamine and I had almost all of the symptoms- poor memory, poor concentration, excessive worrying, lack of motivation- and overall just not giving a $#|+ about anything. I asked my doctor for Wellbutrin. In a couple of days I was calling old friends, kicking butt at work, and motivated for life again. My problem all along was dopamine not serotonin. I am thankful I figured it out. DON'T GIVE UP. Read about brain chemicals- dopamine, serotonin, and, norephenephrine- and make the choice based on research.”

F/21 · June 14, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: “This drug Wellbutrin has been life changing for me. After trying SSRIs and SNRIs that didn’t work, it did the trick. Yes, it sucks at first; the side effects are horrible but you have to give it time. And on these meds at first, I got the head zaps, anxiety like I had never felt before, heart palpitations, lack of appetite and weight loss, headaches, nausea, severe insomnia- the whole nine yards. But after about 5 months on 300 mg, I turned a corner and feel better than ever. I can focus, I’m not tired but can sleep if I need to, my anxiety largely went away, I’m happy and can orgasm too. All the side effects pretty much subsided, save for the appetite one... I still don’t have to eat if I don’t want to but I’m not repulsed by the idea of food anymore. So seriously, it isn’t a conventional drug and it’s bad initially but PLEASE stick with it. Don’t expect it to work overnight... these things take time. I promise you will get results. You got this. Hang in there!”

workitout (CONTRAVE) · November 19, 2020

For Obesity: “Naltrexone hcl 50 mg 1/2 tab daily & Bupropion hcl er (SR)12hr 150 mg 1 tab daily for 14 days then 2 tab daily thereafter. I'm 5.6, 270 LBS with High blood pressure. Started 7 days ago. Right away 1st day the food, sugar, breads, starch cravings STOPPED. I feel so HAPPY to where I had to ask myself... Wait, was i still sad/depressed prior to taking these prescriptions. I didn't think I was so unhappy anymore, however according to the way I feel now with so much energy, wanting to socialize, engage in activities, date and create more than I ever had in the past. I question how much I locked up, put off in truly dealing with all the deaths in my family?. I have lost 13 pounds in the 1st 7 days!. DRY MOUTH (Side effects) which is a plus bcuz I now drank more water. I am so glad I took the leap and trusted myself to do this, I truly am looking forward to my tomorrows.Good luck on you journey's everyone.11/19/2020”

Cancer2Depression · September 5, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: “I was a 250 pound fat and happy married man until I was diagnosed with stage 3B cancer. My wife and kids convinced me to see a Psych and get treated. Anyway, he started my on Wellbutrin (BUPROPION generic) at 200mg per day. He said this med has been around a long time and it's very safe and effective. Note that I don't have Anxiety. After a week on BUPROPION, I would sing on the way to work and was unable to take the smile off my face. After about 6 months these feelings wore off, but I was still better than before. My Psych upped the dosage to 300mg per day. I take two 100mg pills at 9am and then one 100mg pill at 230pm. Overall, I'm happy. It worked for me. Only side effects are a little insomnia twice per month and ringing in my ears 4 times per month, which lasts for hours each time. The ringing is very low. I get my meds Generic for a 90 day supply each time and my insurance charges me $24 for that 90 day supply (300mg/day).”

Michigan Girl · November 20, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: “I have been clinically depressed at various times in my life (postpartum and SAD) but have avoided medication for it. Recently I’ve been weepy, couldn’t get moving, and chores/phone calls/bills began piling up - No energy to deal with life. I talked to my GP who suggested Wellbutrin. I was hesitant but desperate to function again. It worked within a week. I am on 150 mg, XR. I was diagnosed with ADD as a young adult, and Wellbutrin is like the gentler, kinder version of Adderall. I have focus, can complete tasks, am happier. I have energy and willpower to exercise (instead of thinking about it all day and then feeling guilty for not doing it). I have less of an appetite, but not because I feel manically energetic/hyped up/shaky...Binging (which I did before) is not even a thought in my head. I’ve been on Wellbutrin for two and a half months, lost about 12 lbs. I would like to take Wellbutrin for the rest of my life - never felt this calm, even and steady, and capable.”

TheTwizler · Taken for less than 1 month · June 1, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: “I'm on day 3 of wellbutrin. So far it's been miserable. I'm on the lowest dose and still having horrible stomach side effects. I can't eat, I have no appetite, severe diarrhea with intense stomach pain. I'm also exhausted but can't seem to sleep more than a few hours at a time. My mouth is dry and my eyeballs feel like sandpaper. And to top it all off, just looking at my husband arouses me. I'd actually enjoy that side effect if I could stay off the toilet. I'm gonna try to stick it out in hopes that this will pass. I know I need to give it some time.”

AJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 6, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: “I took Wellbutrin XL for 6 months, the first 3 months my dose was 150mg, the last 3 months dose was 300mg. I was taking it for anxiety and depression. Took a little getting used to, but nothing terrible. In the 6 months I went from 150 lbs to 128 lbs (part of it was appetite-suppressant, part was that I had the energy to go out and do things/exercise). When I was at 150mg I had more anxiety attacks, but when I went to 300mg I felt like a normal human being (still having panic attacks, but they were due to being in a bad relationship). I loved this medication, only got off because I am now pregnant and didn’t want to worry about whether it was safe for the baby or not. Will be going back on once my baby is born.”

Grateful_Bread · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 9, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: “I am prescribed 150 mg of XL and it has been a God-send. I could not get out of bed, no sex drive, thoughts about suicide and I burned some work bridges with adjusting firms that I was working for bc I was suffering silently. I was also living in filth (by myself which didn't help matters) I was diagnosed with depression and began this med immediately. Now as soon as I wake up (fully erect again mind you) I am ready to tackle the day. I am in a great mood and am very hopeful for the future. I have a 1973 VW bus that I bought as a project and it sat the last 6 months. In the last few weeks I have done more to it than I have since I bought it. The magic bus is running again. Sort of a metaphor for my life. I moved out of the apartment as I had some dark memories there. I feel like my old self again and have my life back! I hope the same happens for any of you suffering with this affliction. Keep on truckin!!!”

CJS · Taken for 1 to 2 years · November 9, 2020

For Obesity: “I'm a 39 year old female. I've been on this medication for a bit over 1 year, I started at 150mg like most people do, then I went to 300mg and now I'm at 450mg. I used Wellbutrin (Bupropion) for anxiety and stress disorder along with depression. In 1 year I have lost 95.6 pounds (with not a lot of exercise but I do eat healthier) and I'm no longer obese. This drug works great for some and not so great for others. We all are different so the drug works different for everyone. As for me I'm very happy and so far no other side effects.”

Anonymous · March 30, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: “Saved my life and marriage after I had severe PPD and PPA. I would still have some bad anxiety every once in a while but overall totally worth it. I also found that Benadryl really helps if you have anxiety with this at night. I was able to gain the confidence to start my own business and actually believe for the first time in my life I could truly accomplish something. I pray this med helps others like it’s helped me.”

Mariah · August 22, 2020

For Anxiety: “I finally went on Wellbutrin after telling myself “I’ll try next year if it gets bad again”. This medication has eliminated my anxiety, encouraged more healthy habits, and brought me back into my body & stop self medicating for the first time in my life. This is NOT a cure-all! I have found that this medication must be paired with healthy habits (healthy diet of whole foods with plenty of fruits & veggies, ample hydration & sleep, etc.). Side effects I experienced in the first week included insomnia, mild constipation, thirst. All managed by previously stated healthy habits. After a couple weeks I stopped noticing any side effects at all. I’m about two months in and the drug is so affective I have been forgetting to take it. What anxiety?! If I could wave a magic wand I would make it so that this drug was effective for and available to every person with anxiety because it has changed my life.”

Boog · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · January 6, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: “I've been on Wellbutrin XL 150mgs for about a year now and I've gotta say it's worked wonders for me. I was on Lexapro a few years ago and stopped taking it because the weight gain and zero sex drive was bringing me down. I wasn't taking any antidepressants for a year and a half and still couldn't lose the weight. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin, which I was nervous about at first because I also have generalized anxiety disorder and I read that it could exaggerate it. The first month I had splitting headaches and was only sleeping maybe 4-5 hours a night. Since then, things have obviously evened out, but it did take a few weeks. I feel great now, I'm energetic and passionate about things I haven't been in years. I started at 168lbs and have lost 30 pounds; I'm officially down to my pre-lexapro weight. I'm so glad that this medicine works for me, it's made such a huge difference in my day to day!”

Nathalie21 · June 6, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: “Just starting this med. The first couple days, I didn’t think it was doing much, but I noticed I couldn’t sleep for very long. I wasn’t as hopelessly sad as I had been the week prior, but I was experiencing an array of stomach-related side effects (constipated until I was very much no longer constipated, bloating, stomach aches, & VERY nauseous the first night). Fast forward a few days, I still can’t sleep very much. I’m artificially active is the best way to describe it. I’ve been pretty inactive throughout the pandemic, but I walked to get iced coffee in 90 degree heat, cleaned my apartment, had people over, then went to the gym later because I was so jittery and couldn’t sit still. It also has given me quite a bit of anxiety and some irritability alongside the constant need to be active. I hope that over the next few days, the anxious thoughts, stomach issues, & insomnia calm down.”

rasinsomniac · Taken for less than 1 month · May 27, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: “After a break up with my girlfriend and one true love of my life I went to a really dark place and had serious suicidal thoughts. I was first put on Brintellix, then Valdoxan and three weeks ago to Wellbutrin. It's been six months since the break up and after using this med for 3 weeks I'm finally able to enjoy life again and have energy to get through the days with pleasure. This med has so far been a life safer for me. First two weeks were hard and I had serious insomnia but now for the first time in 6 months I don't need Ambien to sleep anymore. I seriously recommend this med, at least for me its working perfectly so far. Just give it time to start working and you will feel better.”

happy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · July 25, 2020

For Obesity: “im 62 ys old wh male,pre diabetic ,I requested my primary care dr to put me on bupropion for weight loss, I've been on it a few months now and gone from 243 to 211 with no side effects except dry mouth. I hope I can avoid diabetes, it runs in my family. I'm worried about my hair thinning, if bupropion is causing that. Again I'm 62 and have had fine hair my entire life. Anyway covid19 will probably get me, that is not the way I expected to go out. Hopefully God will look over me and pass me by the COVID19. so far so good.”

struggler79 · January 17, 2015

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: “I am a 35 year old woman, who has taken meds for 1/2 her life. I struggle with obsessive compulsive disorder, intrusive thoughts and overall depression. Wellbutrin.. I take 150mg a day. It has changed my life.. I have less obsessive thinking, more motivation and for some reason care way less about what people think.”

Lo2150 · May 21, 2019

For Obesity: “I was prescribed BUPROPION HCL SR 150 MG (once per day) for anxiety/depression as well as weight loss. Within days, it felt like the cloud had been lifted over my head, my mood was great & the FIRST DAY I took it, I noticed that I felt like I could eat and my brain and stomach knew when to stop. Even when I wanted to eat more, I just could not. In the beginning, I had to cut my breakfast/lunch/dinner servings in half and I was totally satisfied! I lost 10 pounds in the first 6 weeks. My advice is to keep a journal and track your progress! After 6 weeks, my doctor added TOPIRAMATE 50 MG TABLET 2 x per day. In 7 months I’ve lost 28 pounds, which is very exciting for me! Unfortunately, I’ve hit a plateau & the appetite suppression no longer seems to be working so, my doctor is increasing my dose BUPROPION 300 XL to see if this will help. I’m hopeful as I’ve had such success with it up until now! I’ll try to update my progress in a few months.”

Pat1414 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 10, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: “This medication saved my life! I tried every different antidepressant. I was at my lowest and taking 2 antidepressants at the time. I never thought of suicide till then. I had nothing left, no hope, no joy. My Dr. prescribed 300mg Wellbutrin XL once a day and I kid you not, I WOKE UP A DIFFERENT PERSON! No depression, great mood, no anxiety (like some say), pleasure and joy back, no racing thoughts, no fatigue, no restlessness. I'm me again!”

Pyllaria · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 3, 2021

For ADHD: “I've resisted medication for my depression for years, after terrible experiences with SSRIs: weight gain, suicidal ideation, flat affect. But finally asked dr to try me on 150 mg Bupropion XL. Within a week, my desk was tidy (a first), sleep improved, social anxiety and deep sadness reduced. Who knew?? All these years (I am 60), I had undiagnosed ADD, fighting against which caused depression. Transient side effects: mild headache, change in detecting odours (not in a bad way...noticed some perfumes that appealed before no longer do so, and visa versa with others.) But overall, this has been a godsend. I've done more ADD research (really, had no idea I had it as I was never hyperactive and am fairly high functioning) and am having both my son and mum tested. Consider this medication if you're struggling; it has changed my life.”