User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Seasonal Affective Disorder

6.6

18 reviews
Summary of Bupropion reviews 7.4 1,571 reviews

Reviews for Bupropion

Budeprion XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Generic was not working for me at all. 100% difference with Brand name. If fact went through several generic nothing was working till I started taking the brand name. Now I do not have insurance and can not afford it. I had a discount card. I would have paid $5 but you had to have insurance."

Leesa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2018

For Smoking Cessation: "It does relieve some anxiety over trying to go without smoking- the doctor says I have nicotine addiction more than smoking out of habit I'm usually calm & laid back, but since starting this Rx (@2 months ago) I am hyper & can only take one tab a day, & have had some trouble with my hands trembling. Never experienced this before Still think it's worth using though, as smoking is a killer & any help along the way to stop is worth it"

pegleg (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2018

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "When I started taking zoloft I noticed the decrease on my libido. Its hard to have an erection and orgasm its really frustratin. I am 41 year old guy and I am very active, but since I've taken the zoloft the sexual side effect is horrible. So now I've ask my doctor today what is my option here. I am not happy with the side effect on zoloft. So he prescribed me a new meds call wellbutin, it seems like a few lower side affect with this meds so I am really hoping that it will work. For me ... cross my fingers hopefully this will work for me ..with out the sexual side effects."

nel (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

For Depression: "I just start taking it. I haven't had any major side effects as of yet. My mouth is sort of dry but not too bad. I have to use the washroom a lot. It seem to keep me calm and a little more focus. Hopefully, it works in a positive way for me."

Joseph (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

For Depression: "I hate this medication. It gives me severe insomnia. I take 3mg alprazolam XR for sleep. This usually works for a good nights sleep where I stay asleep. After 2 weeks on bupropion I wake up at 4 am and cannot go back to sleep and have anxiety attacks. I would rather sleep through the night and be able to function on good sleep and be a bit depressed than have bupropion let me have horrible sleep which makes me more depressed because I cannot accomplish anything during the day due to a dragging feeling. I seemed to be coming out of depression when I started the bupropion.. I couldn't take it long enough (only 2 weeks) because the sleep issue is just too tough for me. I wanted it to work because I don't want an anti-d that will make me gain weight"

Fred Flintstone (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

Budeprion XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "My experience will taking it it was a lifesaver in really help me like I used to really feel down in the dumps and it's really helped me come to be my real self I used to hide behind being fake and just letting people walk on me and putting me in a deeper depression this saved my life"

Thrifty soul (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "My second go around since 2010. I have anxiety at 60 yrs. old and wake up thinking about work of all things. Biggest issue is that I have no focus, really aggravating to stay on task at work. So far it seems to give me a bit of a jump and my senses are heightened more, like the ringing in my ears."

AKA HITMAN April 13, 2018

Budeprion XL (bupropion) for : "I just Started Taking Bupropion XL so far, so good! I am a Diabetics! If I can lose Some weight, and less med for my diabetes. I am taking three Zumba classes a week! Plus Water Classes! I was worried about the side effects! After reading all this stuff!! Hope it helps!!"

Fantino (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking Wellbutrin after taking SSRI's which had so many side effects I literally started shaking. This medication had side effects in the beginning (sweating, restlessness) for the first could of weeks. I currently take this medication 300mg XL along with Lamictal. I have no side effects from this medication. I am Bipolar II"

Bipolar18 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I was on 150mg Wellbutrin for depression. The first few months and has no side effects besides very mild nausea (which is a miracle for me). Then they increased my dose to 300mg once a day, and the side effects really started taking its toll on me. I had night terrors that would leave me awake for multiple hours each night when I would finally come out of it. The nausea was making me vomit from the smell of any food. I was really upset because it was really helping as far as my depression goes, but the night terrors were too much for me to handle. Only sleeping 1-3 hours at night isn't worth it to me."

sophiesmama (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I started taking WELLBUTRIN when I was 14 and I’m 40 now.in between that time I stopped and started because I was being stubborn. But after realizing that it really is a struggle for me to do it all on my own. I started taking Wellbutrin again and it’s been three weeks and I honestly have gotten so much accomplished, I communicate better, I am so focused, I don’t get really annoyed or irritated like I use too, I’m a better mom and I’m working harder at work. I’ve only had a few side effects slightly shaky and a few weird dreams. But I have to be honest with myself, I need to take this medication in order to be a better person. I definitely recommend sticking through it especially if you can see better result happening in your life. Good luck!"

Lemon blossom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I wanted to share my experience with Wellbutrin XL as reading the reviews in this forum helped me to decide rather to try it or not. I've been on 30MG of Lexapro for several years. I recently experienced a personal setback and the Lexapro was no longer helping. I was afraid of the side effects of Wellbutrin but decided to try it anyway. I started out on a 1/2 of a 150MG tablet. I already had high anxiety and this medicine did make it worse in the beginning. There were days where I thought I can't take this another day. I took 75Mg for about 2 weeks and then upped the dosage to 150MG and cut the Lexapro down to 25MG. By doing this, I felt so much better. Today, I feel about 75% better. I will eventually move up to 300MG. The side effects I experienced were nervousness, anxiety and a minor loss of appetite. I hope this helps as reading several of these reviews were extremely helpful in making my decision when I was searching for a medicine to try. Best of luck to all of you!"

momto1son April 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have suffered from BP2 for over seven years now and like many of you, have struggled to find something to lift the fog and fatigue and lingering depression left behind after the mood stabilizers. I titrated up to 300 XL and honestly didn't feel much difference other than being much more irritable than usual. I then (do not recommend) went directly down to 150XL. PLEASE do not cold turkey this drug. Everyone is different but my experience in this was awful. I have never had withdrawals that bad from a drug. I was hospitalized for having severe anxiety and depressed thoughts that are now still lingering after two weeks. My very personal opinion is that this doesn't seem to be a fit for treating my bipolar depression. Everyone is different though!"

shelby95 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2018

For Depression: "I took this for 2 months and didn't have any major side effects that I noticed until the 3rd month. My head started itching like crazy and then it would feel like my scalp was burning. At one point I thought I had bugs crawling in my hair. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE feeling I would much rather be fat and depressed than ever take this drug again!!! Stay away!"

UnityTribe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I saw my doctor to see about going back on medication for depression. I did some research as I didn't want to have side effect of ED from being on Effexor until 2014. Wellbutin SR was recommended in research so I took my 2nd tablet of Bupropion Hcl Sr last night and this morning ED is back! 2 years off meds with no problem with ED. Any suggestions? Could it be just the generic given to me by pharmacy (Sandoz)!? Too early to tell if depression will disappear or be lessened."

Artman1953 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion) for Depression: "I’m taking wellbutrin XL 150mg one per day. I’m no more happy then I was before I start taking it ( 2weeks now) no side effects yet. I do notice I get things done on my day everything that I tell myself that I’m going to do I get it done so I guess it is a good thing. Also add a better diet and yoga to it, it had help more now. Will keep taking it and see how it goes."

Tata April 2, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I experienced most of the side effects, thankfully I didn’t have a seizure. I’ve been off a few days and still having side effects. Made my heart race, chest hurt, chest pressure, dry mouth, and forgetting everything. This medicine DID however help my depressed laziness. I had the get up and go and wanted this med to work because it gave me that. My chest still feels like a hippo is sitting on it."

NotAhappyCamper (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "Didn't do anything even at 300 mg...a complete placebo. Initial side effects of alertness and appetite suppression were nice, but wore off after a week or two and became a placebo."

Dantheman93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2018

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "Smoked 30 years. Took Zyban while smoking for a couple weeks and kind of just forgot that I ever smoked. Mentally it made me nauseous to even think of a cigarette. Never looked back. It's been 20 years and the funny thing is that while I could never smoke a cigarette, ( I've tried a couple times just for fun and YUK ) I can occasionally smoke a cigar. Not sure why but I will say, Zyban will kill cigarette addiction. Of course you can find reasons to start again but it will be very difficult after Zyban. Worked the same for my wife. Do It !!"

Hosey O'Grady (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "On Day 3 I had a grand mal seizure and woke to the fire depart working on me, plus lost driving licence for year. Was not impressed now I have more problems"

Big daddy (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "It did not affect libido at first, but after 2 or 3 years I have little interest. I'm happy without it and do not seek it. I'm married and 35."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2018

For Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced: "I was on Zoloft for depression for many years. It controlled my depression but I needed periodic breaks because it caused delayed ejaculation i.e. it prevented orgasm which really frustrated our sex life. After finally discussing with my doctor, I was prescribed Buproprion HCL XL 150mg. Within a week the delayed ejaculation problem has thankfully disappeared. I am also finding that this drug has had a favorable effect on my mood swings as it seems to better smooth them out. Have had no negative side effects so far. As a result, I am very happy with this drug."

Edward (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

For Depression: "I have depression and anxiety (which for me is feeling stressed and overwhelmed about nothing). Bupropion actually improved my anxiety, but not depression. Having to remember to take it twice a day was a bit of a disadvantage for me."

HeatherVS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion) for Depression: "I want to preface this by saying that I'm sure this drug has a different effect on everyone. This is only my experience. I started it 14 days ago and had to stop this morning. This is a very powerful medication. I didn't notice the medication for 5 days and my depression suddenly became significantly worse. My short term memory has also been effected. I will forget something that I did seconds earlier. I noticed that my hearing became much more sensitive and everything became very loud. I still feel like I'm in a cloud. I understand that it will take 24 to 48 hours or more to finally get out of my system. Oh, you won't sleep either. Maybe some positive effects of the medication would have appeared if I had stayed on longer. I couldn't take it any more. I hope that your experience isn't like this and that you can get some help. Us this medication with caution."

PF (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

Zyban (bupropion) for Smoking Cessation: "I took Zyban in 2001. The first 10 days was fine, but once I started taking 2 a day I went into anyphalactic shock and also had a seizure, which then landed me in the hospital. I was 20 yrs old and had no previous history of seizures. Also, once the hives went away, and the prednisone and Benadryl wore off from being in the hospital, I still had skin sensitivity and seriously bad joint pain for almost 2 weeks. I know this is rare but be careful. Now, just to be safe, I tell Dr’s and pharmacists that I’m allergic to Wellbutrin/ buproprion/ Zyban."

Idohair36 (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018