User Reviews for Bupropion to treat Panic Disorder

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin, Budeprion Budeprion SR Forfivo XL

Bupropion has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 17 ratings for the treatment of Panic Disorder. 76% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Bupropion

Anonymous December 2, 2009

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I started taking Wellbutrin after gaining 10 to 15 pounds on Paxil. I'd already tried Prozac. Wellbutrin did give me some uncomfortable side effects like ringing in the ears, sleepless nights and I did have a lot of panic attacks while I was getting started. So I had to take Zoloft with it for awhile, which canceled out my sex life. Now that I'm only on the Wellbutrin I've lost 10 lbs and my sex life is better than ever. No one drug works for everybody keep trying till you find the right one, don't suffer! My doctor choose this one so I could shed a few lbs. I gained on the other. 45yr old female married 18 years, 4 kids.. nice to know sometimes so you can relate.”

donnataylor August 29, 2011

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “Before I started Wellbutrin SR, I had a severe panic disorder. I was prescribed Wellbutrin for another reason, but one side effect of it was to completely get rid of my panic attacks. I had a fear of driving over bridges, high places, and just driving. It has been a few years and I now see how unreasonable I was being and how my brain was overreacting. If anyone is having a problem with panic attacks, I would recommend to at least give Wellbutrin a try.”

L.P. · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2020

“Suffered from panic disorder, major depression, ADD, and severe generalized anxiety. I had horrible experiences with SSRIs- Zoloft, Prozac, Lexapro and Adderall. Finally decided to give Wellbutrin a try, and I feel more relaxed, less irritable, happy, energetic, anxiety is significantly decreased, and my migraines and back pain have decreased. I've lost weight and also have a decrease in nightmares. As far as side effects, I am way more thirsty, have mild nausea after I eat, and experienced cold clammy hands/feet the first 2 days. I'll take the side effects over the anxiety and panic attacks any day.”

HappierNLife September 2, 2010

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “I started taking Wellbutrin SR about 2 weeks ago and I am already noticing a difference. I had a lot of anger, frustration, stress, and small panic attacks with uncontrollable crying. Now since I have been taking it, I am much calmer and I am able to determine what is worth worrying about and what is not. I could not do that before. The crying has stopped and I no longer feel stressed or angry. The only side effect I have is a mild headache, a little insomnia, and extreme thirst. Those I can deal with versus what I was dealing with. I am definitely going to keep taking it.”

9dee9 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2020

“I was prescribed Wellbutrin for panic disorder along with depression, my Dr. Also said it would help me quit smoking. I loved Wellbutrin, I felt 10x better, and I also lost about 10 lbs in a mater of 2 months. If it wasn't for the hair loss I would still be on it.”

yooper602 October 16, 2009

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I have severe agoraphobia for 12 or so years. It's very hard to get outside. I have been on Prozac, Celexa, Zoloft, Paxil, Effexor and Buspirone. I have maxed out them all. Each one has stopped working so now I take Wellbutrin 150 twice a day, Buspirone 15mg 3 times and Effexor 100mg 3 times a day. I was just taking Buspirone and Effexor and I still couldn't get outside. My doctor started me on Wellbutrin so now I take all 3 with no side effects. Took a few days for it to kick in now I can go out in yard to the store, but is still hard. But adding Wellbutrin helped a lot. I would recommend it if it doesn't help you can always go off it and try something else.”

Iver Biggen · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2017

“I have been on this medication for two months now and I see a big improvement in myself. I was having minor panic attacks from time to time and I was also depressed and lethargic. I was doing absolutely nothing around my home, just going to work and doing nothing else. Now, I have been working harder at fixing things around the home and I even started watching TV with my wife, even the TV shows that I think suck.”

Aki · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2019

“I have severe panic disorder with attacks to the point of blacking out, been on wellbutrin for over 3 yrs now and been extremely satisfied with the results. I'm able to get out more and my ativan usage is only in case of a serious social function or air travel.”

Beep Beep · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2019

“I've been on 150mg bupropion for a month still had some issues had an appointment with Dr. on Wednesday I am now on 300mg bupropion and feel better already. Has anyone been on 300mg bupropion for months/year and does it get better?”

ShookJohansen August 12, 2011

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Today is my second day and I feel okay. I am in transition from Celexa to Wellbutrin XL. I take Wellbutrin XL 150mg in the morning and Celexa 10mg in the evening. The only main noticeable side effects are I am a little anxious and I have stomach cramps. They are not terrible though. I expect to have some transition period. I know it sounds crazy but I lost 1 pound in the 1st day I took it. Celexa put 10 -15 lbs on me that I cannot take off even with exercise. I will keep you updated!”

Nancels · Taken for 10 years or more March 26, 2019

“I've been taking Bupropion for over 15 years with excellent results but the last time I filled my prescription the pill had changed from white to purple with the SG175 (brand = ScieGen Pharmaceuticals, Inc) and now my night time panic attacks have returned. I'm not sure whether this is due to the change in the pill or just that it's time to increase my dosage since taking it so long. I wonder if anyone else has experienced a difference with this new purple Bupropion?”

Lost Sock · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2017

“I've been back on this (150mg) for 5 days, after being on it a few years as a teenager and taking a 4 year break. I'm not seeing any Beginning This Drug stories so I'm adding mine! I have borderline and complex-ptsd, as well as some undiagnosed odds and ends of symptoms (delusions and hallucinations). -day 1 hit me like a truck. Weird visual warping and feeling hazy and clumsy, but not sick. In a good mood! -weed appears to hit faster and harder, but no ill effects otherwise -dry mouth -racing thoughts are slow and quiet for the first time in years -suicidal thoughts still there, but different -fear replaced by static”

JesseRae89 August 9, 2019

“I've had very bad experiences with SSRI's. Mainly with Weight gain and sexual side effects. I experienced none of these issues with Wellbutrin. I ended up dropping it however as I started to notice early after taking it my heart rate would be insane and I felt ready to run through a wall. Not a pleasant feeling when you deal with a panic disorder. If I could not have that side effect I'd much more prefer this drug.”

Doober1234 February 22, 2016

“After having a horrible reaction to a SSRI ,celexa in my case. My dr put me on bupropion 150 XL. Wow I have so much energy only been 3 days on but already losing weight. Enjoying hiking again working on truck and way more intense on playing video games. Seems as if I'm getting my life back. However I go through these foggy periods. They only last about a hour and I feel normal again even giddy. I honestly look forward to my next dose which is a little worrying but I don't abuse any medication so I'm not to worried lol if that makes sense.”

Boiled Frogs. · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2013

“I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL 300mg after being on Cipralex 30mg for 6 months. I noticed an immediate improvement in my mood, energy level and libido. As with Cipralex I have had to get used to problems with falling asleep but I remedied this by taking the medication in the morning. Normally I would not have/remember dreams. Now I have such vivid and bizarre dreams that they are down right frightening or just weird. Waking can be fun as well. If I am woken up by a phone call, really disorientated. Woke up randomly one night and didn't recognize my partner for long enough for it to be scary. It helped me to be positive but it did not help my anxiety enough for me to be "normal". At least I am positive about it not working for that.”

GaitedGurl · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 27, 2017

“This medication helped my ADD for years. I actually started taking it for panic attacks and it helped my ADD so much it was astounding. I have taken it for years. Now it gives me hot flashes. I am 51 and when I quit taking it, hot flashes gone....but I really feel the lack of focus now. Don't know what to do but I can't take the hot flashes...they were keeping me awake all night.”

Teddy · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 31, 2021

“I stopped taking this abruptly 5 years ago I now have severe panic attacks from stopping that has lasted 5 years. No doctor can get my psych meds straight I went from normal to someone I don't know and feel hopeless these attacks will stop”

Anonymous February 15, 2010

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Gave me anxiety”

rafael2019 April 2, 2016

“Good medication, just takes up to 2 weeks to be effective, Good for depression and quitting smoking too.”

Learn more about Panic Disorder