User Reviews for Bupropion to treat Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin, Budeprion, Forfivo XL Budeprion XL Budeprion SR

Bupropion Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 7 medications used in the treatment of Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced.

Reviews for Bupropion

Libby · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 3, 2020

“37 year old woman: 2 years ago I was put on Celexa & Clonazepam for anxiety. A few months in & my anxiety was better but my husband blurted out to the doc that I was "numb" down there. It was true, but embarrassing. So my doc put me on Wellbutrin as well. I take it at night with the Celexa because together they make me drowsy, but I have to say, never in my life have I had multiple orgasms until now! The only side effects I struggle with is excessive sweating, I tried to discontinue use of it because the sweating is miserable, after 3 days without my full dose I was a monster, miserable about everything. So now I sweat terribly, but have more energy & multiple orgasms.”

Shoby · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 3, 2020

“39 male from the UK/ I was experiencing some depression, and because of it I went to the GP, she prescribed me Sertraline 50 mg a night. I didn't know that stopping it abruptly will cause a severe erection dysfunction and loss of libido. My sex drive was fantastic while I was on Sertraline, if I knew that stopping it will kill my sex life I would not do that. I used to have sex 5-7 times a week. However, I have not had sex for 10 days now, it is really frustrating and unfortunate. Please, guys, share some of your experience with me, at this stage what should I do? Should resume taking Sertraline or switch to Bupropion class of medicines. I just want my sex life back. Thanks in advance.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2020

“I asked my doctor if I can take Wellbutrin to counter-act the sexual side affects of Methadone and Lyrica. Needless to say in 3 - 4 days I was getting extremely firm erections and producing a huge amount of....ejaculate.”

ChrisTexas · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2020

“Was on Zoloft and Trintellix for a year. I had sex drive and some hormone replacement therapy as well. It just killed my orgasms. I was cocked and load and could not shoot. Very frustrating for me and whoever I was with. Very excited about starting Wellbutrin. Most others just kill it. If I could get and erection it would just fade away and block the getting over the edge. SSRI's not my friends.”

B · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

“I’ve been on bupropion for depression and ADHD symptoms, but besides that it has really improved my sex drive. I use to be on prozac and that totally had ruined it.. I’m really satisfied with the changes it’s given me. I have had no weight gain, acne nor any types of side effects.”

anon · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2020

“i stated taking bupropion last week, and it has helped my depression, but since I feel like my sex drive has gone up. I'm a women and I can't seem to find anything online relating to my situation, I'm horny all the time now its super annoying and uncomfortable, and I am kind of embarrassed to talk to my dr. about it but I will..”

Harmony · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2020

“I've been on these pills bupropion for three week I they really helped me ...(I had sexual problems caused by SSRI meds ”

Chuck · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

“I was started on Wellbutrin sr 150 bid. This was added to my Cymbalta 60 mg mg qd. I have an a lot of trouble maintaining an erection and having an orgasm. I am on Testom injection twice a week for quite some time so I know that is not the problem. It has helped w my chronic fatigue”

Sleepless · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2020

“I was prescribed this to counteract the sexual side effects of Fluoxetine (low desire). This did seem to increase my desire but orgasms were mild. Also caused me sleep issues, insomnia, restlessness.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 27, 2019

“I was on 20mg Celexa for anxiety and depression and it was helping apart from the notorious sexual side effects. Being fed up with this I thought I'd give Wellbutrin a try. The Wellbutrin helped the sexual dysfunction, however ,it increased my anxiety. The voice in my head was racing, I was sweating a lot, and I could barely get off the couch. I have since switched back to celexa ,however, I'm still feeling the effects of the Wellbutrin 2 months later and my celexa isn't working as effectively now.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 20, 2019

“Seems like my experience is the exact opposite of most people’s. I’ve been on Wellbutrin xl 300 mg for over a year and it’s helped a lot with my depression and I’m a much more functional person on it than off it. It comes with one huge negative drawback though which is premature ejaculation. In the last 6 months I’ve tried cymbalta and venlafaxine which got rid of the premature problems but it’s also somehow negated all the other positive effects of Wellbutrin as well. Has anyone else had this problem. I’ve been searching all over and I can’t seem to find someone with the same problem”

pnc · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 20, 2019

“Didn't help for that sexual dysfuntion and for smoking cessation. Waste of money/time.”

kginger · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2019

“Been taking this for about 2 months after being on prozac/ lamictal/ zoloft the last 8 or so years. I had sexual side effects that ended up causing me to discontinue use. I’d say that Wellbutrin has made my libido higher than its baseline. It gives me a little energy and motivation but is in no way like a traditional stimulant. I find it less effective on depression and anxiety than the SSRI's But I still prefer it due to the lack of sexual side effects and the motivation boost. I notice myself being more irritable and almost like I’m just looking for things to anger me during driving, work and social interactions, etc. I’m not sure if the anger is more a placebo effect as I knew it was a common side effect before I started. I wouldn't say it affects my sleep one way or another. I like Wellbutrin but if I got into a dark place with depression and anxiety, I would add back in some Prozac. I wish there were more options for depression medication that doesn't have sexual side effects.”

France cape town · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2019

“Wellbutrin is giving me (too much) sex drive that I have never experienced in my 66 years. It is wonderful but also frustrating as it takes time to come. After coming the feeling is under control for a few hours but then it comes back. This is after 7 days on 300 mg per day.”

CubsGirl85 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2019

“Was placed on Lexapro 10mg for GAD. Sex life pretty much went down the drain. I had the most ridiculous time trying to orgasm and had no desire (sigh). I am only 30. Discussed situation with my NP and she placed me on Wellbutrin (Bupropion) 75mg BID and now 200mg daily. It was a game changer. Sex life is DEFINITELY back on track. Easily orgasm and have heightened desire. I also have focusing issues and this has helped with increased energy and focus. 10/10 for sure.”

Bdap · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 6, 2019

“Experience less sensation and inability to climax”

Red525 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2019

“I'm a 42 yr old female. This medication was suggested by my psychiatrist for sexual dysfunction. My libido has been hovering around -10 for 5+ yrs and my hubby & I have tried many things to add excitement with limited success. Basically I was like the Atacama Desert! I've been taking Wellbutrin for 3 months now & it's awesome. It took 6 weeks before I felt any improvement but the kick was amazing! Sensation has returned along w/ desire...that 6th week my husband & I had sex multiple times per day for 6 days (it was epic). We had to stop because I ended up w/ a yeast infection due to all the activity. Anyway, it's worked better than expected for me. I take my 300mg each morning. I told my friend about my success and she got a prescription from her doctor however it didn't work for her. Instead it made her cry often and over almost anything. Needless to say everyone has different biology so it won't work for everyone but I've found great relief w/it.”

Jill · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2019

“Was on paxil for 2 years and basically became celibate. Absolutely no desire for sex and orgasms were few and far between and lackluster. I started on the Wellbutrin 1 month ago. No big changes until today when I had a spontaneous orgasm while I was working! Very embarrassing, but hopeful? At least my lady bits aren't depressed anymore! Will follow up with the doctor. Overall an improvement”

Mikey D · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 7, 2019

“I have just turn my life around with this bupropion. I have energy. I love doing things where before I just was a couch potato. Lost couple pounds. Had sex and wow 10+ from my wife. I'm like 25 years younger. Doc kind of went with bi-polor thing and guess she nailed. Depression thing of the past. I suffered with pain after bad accident and I'm not needing the narcotic pills as much. Yea”

Dmudger March 17, 2019

“I’m a 57 year old male. I started Zoloft 4 1/2 months ago for anxiety disorder. 50mg per day. During the first week I experienced anorgasm which I had never experienced before but I had some other side effects like a little nausea, a little anxiety...I had never taken these type of drugs before so I only knew what I read in these forums. I think a lot of side effects were in my head because I was hypersentive and hyperaware because I had nothing to reference the feeling both physical and mental sensations I had. After 4 weeks the side effects had gone away after 6 weeks I felt good and after 8 weeks on the Zoloft I felt normal again. Like my feet were in the ground. At week 6 I decided to try and tackle my anorgasm problem and my doctor recommended trying Wellbutrin (Bupropion) along with the Zoloft. I started off at 150mg then moved to 300mg. After just a couple of days I had my first orgasm in a month and a half.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2019

“Love that it helped take the edge off my depression. But I’m 35 and have a horrible time now getting hard (erectile dysfunction) - I’m stopping it today to see if in a few days, it’s better. Needless to say, I hadn’t had a problem before taking it.”

SIA1979 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 19, 2018

“My doctor switch me to bupropion 300mg because Zoloft caused me sexual dysfunction when I was changed to it at first it was great I had orgasms again but, after being on it for over a year I have lost interest in sex and when I have sex I couldn't have an orgasm so needless to say I'm no longer taking this medication.”

David August 11, 2018

“46 year old male. Started taking Bupropion (branded as Zyban) to help stop smoking. Unfortunately, within 1 day I completely lost the ability to o orgasm. I persisted once and 'forced' an orgasm. I immediately had an awful migraine-like headache. I suspect that those who find Bupropion helps their sex life, had low dopamine levels; Bupropion increases the effects of dopamine. For those like me, where Bupropion has killed their sex life, I suspect dopamine levels were already high - If you take a NDRI when you already have high dopamine levels, it will kill your libido/ability to orgasm, as the brain literally thinks you are always 'post-orgasm'! Orgasm is the point when the brain releases the most dopamine (narcotic drugs aside). If dopamine levels are too high, the brain thinks you have recently reached orgasm and will not allow you to orgasm (easily) to prevent very high dopamine levels, which can be harmful (can cause psychosis). This drug is certainly not for me.”

nel · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2018

“When I started taking zoloft I noticed the decrease on my libido. Its hard to have an erection and orgasm its really frustratin. I am 41 year old guy and I am very active, but since I've taken the zoloft the sexual side effect is horrible. So now I've ask my doctor today what is my option here. I am not happy with the side effect on zoloft. So he prescribed me a new meds call wellbutin, it seems like a few lower side affect with this meds so I am really hoping that it will work. For me ... cross my fingers hopefully this will work for me ..with out the sexual side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 28, 2018

“It did not affect libido at first, but after 2 or 3 years I have little interest. I'm happy without it and do not seek it. I'm married and 35.”

Learn more about Sexual Dysfunction, SSRI Induced