User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've only been taking it a week. I went up to 300 mg on the fourth day to help me quit smoking but I will also continue the medicine for my depression. So far, after the first day of taking this medication I've noticed I will not sleep more then 9 hours which, I could easily sleep 12 hours. When I smoke a cigarette after the first day, first couple days 1-6 so far, I do not feel any effects of the cigarette its like, I'm just filling up my lungs with smoke and not being ''rewarded'' mentally... but the craving was still slightly there. I also see people saying this medication is making them angry ... I don't know, I roll my eyes at that but everyones different."

JayC27 January 5, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I want to start by saying that drugs have different effects on everyone so not every experience is the same. This medication has changed my life. After trying 7 different anti-depressants, then stopping, then trying again I have finally found one that works. One of my biggest problems was an inability to focus on anything and I am finally clear-minded and able to focus. I still have some problems with mood regulation but it is SO much better than before. I had some pretty bad side effects getting on Wellbutrin (but did with every drug I tried) -- extreme dizziness, nausea, vomiting and bad headaches. Side effects wore off after a week but I still get bad headaches with this med (worth it). Definitely a drug to discuss with your doctor."

Ellie111 January 4, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I have been quite depressed with extreme anxiety, obsessive and compulsive behaviors, Extremely hard addiction to nicotine and some dissociative-psychotic features since 2016 and tried a whole different variety of SSRIS, SNRIS, Mood Stabilizers, but this one at 225mg XL 7 Day is like a custom-made pill for me! 0 desire to smoke, 100 desire to live, socialise, feel empathy and have healthy relationships, the anxiety I can't say for sure it's completely away but i can say for sure that it has lowered at least 65% I feel like I had gone to sleep in 2015 and waked up in december 2017, no side effects so far."

Guerra Dávila (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I’m hypersensitive to everything so I was very nervous to start this medication knowing that it would probably cause anxiety symptoms and I already have an anxiety and panic disorder. But I was very happy to find out that it did not affect me that way at all. I have not felt the jitters that I heard about or anxiety. I have not been on it long; I just started it within the last few days. I’m on 150mg/1X a day for now. I’m just very happy to find out that I am not suffering from a bunch of side effects (knock on wood)."

MzCat (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "Dealing with PTSD for 20+ years has been a blurry nightmare with very few gasps of air. My anger had gotten uncontrollable even though I thought it was. I have been on haldol, lexapro, and a couple of others . I have to admit welbutrin saved my marriage and more. The first few weeks were pretty rough but after that I can actually end an argument or conversation that's not going well without blowing up .."

77survivor November 29, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Was put on this after I went to the psych ward for suicidal thoughts and general depression. Before this I was on Prozac for 3 weeks, stopped taking it due to increased anxiety and extreme binge eating that I never had before. After that my doc switched me to 20 mg Celexa. Took that on and off for over a year... it helped slightly with anxiety but quickly became as effective as taking sugar pills. I started on the generic SR, 2 a day and with that I had slight ringing in the ears, some random panicky feelings. But my mood had improved tremendously, plus my sex drive went way up after just 1 day! My appetite control is great. On 300 mg XL generic now and side effects are subsiding. Had worries about seizures but that's rare. 0.3% incidence."

Alexandrea Martelli (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

"I am a 37 year old female started this med for depression. Its been a week I feel great not only that my sex drive is high, my husband can barely keep up. I went from having no orgasms to amazing orgasms "

Ifeelalive (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I was taking this for about 6 years. From 13-18. I had a few spotty teen years where I would barely take the meds and I ended up in the hospital many times. I had a very weird and high sex drive and right when I got off it went away. I had intense night terrors and would start yelling in my sleep, I would sweat so much it looked like I wet myself. The nightmares got so vivid and intense I was confusing reality with my dreams, I would constantly have to ask people if something had happened or not. I lost weight when I was taking this regularly. I've been off for almost two years, and all that being said I think I may start it up again. It was one of the only depression meds that kept my emotions but kept the bad ones away for the most part"

Willowd677 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2017

"I am a 40 year old female. I have suffered from major depressive disorder for over 10 years. I have been on so so many antidepressants over the years. Recently, I stopped seeing my PDoc, and during my transition to finding a new one I had to go off prozac. I was being supplemented with Bupropion, I was then only taking the bupropion. Since then I have had the BEST sex of my life. I have more energy than I have had in years. This was a pleasant coincidence that I stumbled into. I have noticed that reading other blogs, men do not have the same experience as women in general, and will probably be disappointed if going on this medication for increased libido. It does do wonders for a good all around mood though."

All the way (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have been on this med three seperate times over a few years on and off not a side effect that I took notice off? I am on 150mg and in Aust. Its called Zyban and for quitting smoking. I am on it as a help for bi-polar depression that just won’t leave me. The chemist told me that I could quit cold turkey that’s its make up is different to other anti-depressants and I did. I would not recommend that to anyone without their own medical advice. I had no effects. I went off Zyban as it just got to a stage where I didn’t notice benefits, but the specialist keeps convincing me to go back on it. That it is doing some good. And no side effects that I can tell. I’m on lithium, Ritalin, deralin and Zyban just stopped seroquel."

Koalamaiden (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was prescribed this drug treatment in the 1997-2000 years and it caused me to end up in the ER due to spontaneous unthinkable suicide attempt by taking an overdose dose of Amblify (15 tabs!) and as soon as I swallowed it I asked myself “what did I just do?!?!? Then I didn’t know what was going to happen!?! My friend called an ambulance and I ended up in ER !?!? When Doctor asked me why I did it-“ I told him that I didn’t know?!? I had no “ thoughts of suicide and I had no idea what I was doing and that I was not going to be a danger to myself because of that!?! I had to go to Outpatient Therapy for several weeks!"

NJersey (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I'm on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL's, and since I've started taking them, I've noticed my dreams are extremely vivid and disturbing, I'm getting confused easily, major insomnia, which isn't normal for me by any means. Was on Prozac, then Lexapro, switched to celexa after 3 doses, and now I'm stuck with Wellbutrin. I was told to push through and keep taking it, but all of my experiences with stimulants with an amphetemine base have been unpleasant. Im probably going to discontinue it, I'd rather be unmedicated than lose days of sleep and have horrible dreams whenever I can sleep. Not a great experience imo"

TedB (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

"Was on it for a month, to no avail. 5* rating because I had no side effects, but it did not help either."

Push91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "In the last 6 years I have taken a few meds for my depression. Started with Lexapro which helped but caused very quick weight gain. Switched to Cymbalta which caused rash. Switched quickly to Prozac which caused horrible dreams and sexual issues!! Was then put on Wellbutrin by a psych NPR because of my issues with weight gain and sexual side effects. Drug was a miracle for me!!! Lost 45lbs in 2 years after starting it and sexual side effects disappeared!! Started out on 150mg a day but upped to 300mg a day when I had a depressive episode!! Since upping dose have had no issues other than unusual dreams, but can live with that!! Nothings perfect!!!"

hackgolfpro September 13, 2017

"I have been on this med for a while now but recently I was bumped up to the highest dose allowable. I have been on this dose for 3 months and it has completely changed my life. I don't need a nap from the moment I wake till I go to bed and my pain level has dropped to a manageable level. Because of this med, I have a new lease on life."

Dazzlebandit (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I had to stop the drug after 5 doses as it gave me tinnitus. I was not prepared to possibly risk hearing damage."

BJ1097 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "So I was on Lexapro 20mg for 3 months and it helped somewhat with my very SEVERE depression that I was suffering from with severe anxiety, It was HELL! So my next appointment with the nurse practitioner I was prescribed bupropionXL and she told me to add it to my lexapro and too take both together, but as soon as I started too take them both I got very emotionally sad and numb, so my sister told me to stop taking the lexapro to give the bupropion a chance to work on its own and that has helped so much because now I feel a lot better then before and I'm only taking 150mg XL. Just wanted to share my experience with anyone."

James1738 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I've been taking this medication for under 6months now and I have gained 10lbs while taking this drug. I don't feel like I have increased energy than before like some other people described. I feel more irritable & anxious at times, still can't sleep at night. I get the dry mouth side effects and occasional constipation. I'm taking 300mg XL once a day. I am getting more depressed with gaining weight on this drug! I was taking Lexapro before & didn't find it help me feeling less depressed & experience alot of nightmare or weird dreams while taking Lexapro!"

Cheshyrecat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Welbutrin ruined my life. I went from 220 lbs. down to barely 100. I cannot eat. I am literally rotting away. It enlarged my prostate and now I feel like I'm carrying around a grapefruit. It also increased my libido to the point of being completely frustrating."

StevenB2374 August 10, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "This is for Anxiety/major depressive disorder and BPD. The side effects suck. Since I've been on Wellbutrin I've had severe dizzy spells and severe insomnia where I stay up all night and get 2-5 hours of sleep in the morning, on good days. My appetite is suppression is not as extreme as other medications I've been on but I have lost 5 pounds on it. I like eating so I don't like that. I had my first self harm episode and it had been over a year and it was over something insignificant that happens all the time. It gave me depression. I personally haven't experienced a good thing about this med but I'm giving it another month or two to work. I'm hopeful."

Gwenithhearts July 30, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was prescribed Wellbutrin 2xday after Celexa stopped working after being on it 5 years. Within a few days of taking the Wellbutrin my anxiety was back and depression was worse. Had trouble staying asleep because my mind was constantly racing. Definitely did not work for me."

JC23 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been on Wellbutrin for about three months now. It was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety, low cognitive function and bad working memory. Wellbutrin started working on me around week 8. Mood lifted immensely, better executive function, lower anxiety, became much more goal oriented. Stopped delaying and procastinating everything, became interested in my hobbies again, felt clear headed, more energetic and general mental well being. Struggle with working memory a bit, still."

RhettV July 6, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder in 2013. The first medication I was prescribed was Zoloft, which turned me into a zombie. My doctor then switched me to Effexor, which had way too many side effects from mood and all the way to affecting my vision. I was then switched to Lexapro, which was great and masking the depression but made me gain 30+ pounds in less than a year and literally have zero motivation. 3 months ago, my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and it's made the biggest difference in my life. In the first couple of weeks my anxiety was a lot worse but that went away entirely and I haven't had any other side effects. My energy is back and I genuinely look forward to the next day."

JX June 22, 2017

"Was prescribed this for depression. It's worked very effectively for that and it's helped me so much more in other areas in my life. I've been on it since 2011. It's helped me quit smoking 7 times now. It has also helped me with my ADHD symptoms. I am gaining weight but that's due to my antipsychotic. I have schizophrenia. This has been a great mood enhancer and has helped me so much. I started on 150mg for a month and was on 300mg for 5 years. I guess my body built up a tolerance and last year I was having extra depressive episodes. My psychiatrist upped this to 450mg (max dose) and added trintellix and my depression is back under control. That's the only reason I am giving it a 9/10. It has been truly helpful from the first day."

MillerMillion (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 18, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I am currently using wellbutrin xl (150mg) a day as an add on to trintellix. I have been on every medication under the sun & always seem to have negative side effects. My biggest struggle with my depression is fatigue & no energy. I've only been on wellbutrin 5 days & I feel a tremendous difference. I am awake in the morning & don't feel like I am going to fall asleep at random times during the day. I also haven't taken a nap in 5 days either which is huge considering I always nap. I am a little anxious sometimes & am also dealing with sleeping issues so I may talk to my Dr about switching to the SR. I am also dealing with a lot of muscle spams but this always happens when I adjust a dose or try a new medication. Wish I tried this sooner!"

Lo Marie x June 12, 2017