User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been on Wellbutrin for 5 or 6 years. The counsellor gave me the choice of this or some others, which all had sexual side effects that were not acceptable to me. Taking 150 twice a day. If I forget it for a couple days I get very irritable, so even if I forget some of the others (for blood pressure, diabetes type 2, and heart problems) I try always to take the wellbutrin. But, in the last year I'm finding that there are few times when I'm not down in the hole. Won't be seeing the psych for another 6-months, but don't really want to talk to her anyway. My recommentation: if it helps even a little, keep taking it; it's better than going nuts."

Ducky (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 16, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Wellbutrin almost killed me and I now have Grand Mal Seizures and have been diagnosed with Epilepsy that I will have for the rest of my life. I seriously think this drug should be pulled from the shelves. I know 2 people who tried to commit suicide while taking this medication. Wellbutrin has ruined my life and I would never suggest this medication to anyone."

Platinum (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2018

"Since the addition of bupropion my depression has become a lot more settled and tolerable."

Rigney (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been on multiple SSRI's and was convinced that antidepressants just didn't work. My doctor insisted that I try something else, because my anxiety was dictating every aspect of my life. I'm so glad that she did. After about 2 weeks on Wellbutrin, I began to realize that I felt really happy for the first time in over 2 decades. The only side-effect I've really had is occasional mild irritability. It lasts for about a half hour and happens once every week or two. Though as I've been on the medication longer, the side effects are less severe. I know this medication isn't for everyone, but whatever was wrong with me, Wellbutrin fixed it. If you're struggling with anxiety or depression, be honest with your doctor. If your medication isn't helping you, tell your doctor. If your doctor won't help you, find a new doctor. You can do this, and you deserve to be happy."

Topsy June 29, 2018

"I'm a 19 year old who suffers from bipolar depressive and anxiety. I had this since about I was 9 years old as I had a rough childhood, in Texas alone from Arizona. I work in a nursing home. Okay, recently I got a prescribed to bupropion and it helps a lot. I'm 8 months into taking these meds. And I feel like my life is more positive and active. The first week was hard and I felt rubbish , but the more you take it (responsibly) mind and body starts to get used of the bupropion."

Ann (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 13, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Wellbutrin helped me quit smoking after 35yrs of 1 pack a day!! It also was significant with reducing my major depressive disorder. Excellent medication!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2018

Budeprion XL (bupropion): "Generic was not working for me at all. 100% difference with Brand name. If fact went through several generic nothing was working till I started taking the brand name. Now I do not have insurance and can not afford it. I had a discount card. I would have paid $5 but you had to have insurance."

Leesa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2018

Budeprion XL (bupropion): "My experience will taking it it was a lifesaver in really help me like I used to really feel down in the dumps and it's really helped me come to be my real self I used to hide behind being fake and just letting people walk on me and putting me in a deeper depression this saved my life"

Thrifty soul (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I was on 150mg Wellbutrin for depression. The first few months and has no side effects besides very mild nausea (which is a miracle for me). Then they increased my dose to 300mg once a day, and the side effects really started taking its toll on me. I had night terrors that would leave me awake for multiple hours each night when I would finally come out of it. The nausea was making me vomit from the smell of any food. I was really upset because it was really helping as far as my depression goes, but the night terrors were too much for me to handle. Only sleeping 1-3 hours at night isn't worth it to me."

sophiesmama (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was prescribed wellbutrin after being hospitalized in April of 2017. When I got there, that's the first medicine they gave me to try. The only difference I noticed was that I was having more trouble sleeping than I normally had without the medicine. I had no faith in this working for me because they told me they wanted me to stop smoking as I was 17 at the time (I turned 18 in May, it's the end of March 2018 right now, I'm almost 19 atm) and wellbutrin makes smoking taste horrible, so it's definitely effective for smoking cessation. As far as depression, I'd say it helped for a little while but soon I needed a higher dosage and then after a little bit, my suicidal thoughts were back so I quit taking them. Overall, it wasn't very effective in my case."

crystalmethothelioma (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have been on this medication for less than a month and I am staying angry and my blood pressure has gone up and it doesn't seem to come down. I was on citalopram but wanted to see if I could use Wellbutrin to lose some weight but I will deal with the weight in exchange for a calm mind and getting along with everybody. I can't get back to the Dr. fast enough."

karon (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I've been taking 150 mg of bupropion xl for years and it kept me from hurting myself but still had manic depressiveness. I also dealt with seasonal depressive disorder. It was taking the edge off. I wanted to feel able to do things without thinking of every negative possibility. My Doc raised the dosage to 300mg and my feelings also became elavated and feel alive again. Sad to say it has been two weeks and I have developed gouty arthritis in my right elbow and it is not going away. I was trying to not call the Dr. because of the good feelings I am having but the elbow is to painful and I feel it starting in my left elbow and fingers. I had gout in my feet never in my elbow until my sister mentioned that it sounds like gout and from the feeling and redness with the pain, it is what I felt years ago when I was drinking. Sober for 8 years"

MIKE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 9, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Wellbutrin is an excellent medication. I take 1/2 of a 75 mg tablet in the morning after breakfast and at 14:00. I also take 10 mg of Lexapro at 16:00. Lexapro, on its own, was providing me relief from my major depression and occasional panic attacks. However, there were some days when I felt that it was not helping. Additionally, I often felt very lethargic by the afternoon and had occasional brain fog. My psychiatrist suggesting that I complement Lexapro with Wellbutrin explaining that it is an SSRI with mild stimulating effects and does not carry the risk of weight gain. I am a slim man, so weight gain is easily noticeable for me. The combination of Lexapro and Wellbutrin has been wonderful! My depression and panic attacks are very much under control; however, there are a few manifestations throughout the year during hectic periods. I have energy throughout the day, and I am very much happier with the quality of my well-being and life."

AM (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Been on wellbutrin 450mg no weight gain and busPIRone 60mg, I've been taking it about 6+ years. The doc want me to take another depression and anxiety pill, plus welbutrin & busPIRone. I've tried other meds & gained weight. So is there anything out there? Had a weight problem other pills, after gaining 10lbs in 2 weeks, I thrown them away, Won't make me gain weight. Please let me know."

bbblondie_1965y (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 7, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I have no doubt that this has helped many people...but for me, this was absolute poison. I'd gone off Lexamil and switched to Wellbutrin 300mg for MDD. My moods are absolutely all over the place. I'll randomly get sad for absolutely no reason and for a logical person, this gets frustrating. Not to mention the strain that most of my relationships have been under because of my now explosive temper. I don't feel like the person that I know that I am."

Lilith-Sama (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've only been taking it a week. I went up to 300 mg on the fourth day to help me quit smoking but I will also continue the medicine for my depression. So far, after the first day of taking this medication I've noticed I will not sleep more then 9 hours which, I could easily sleep 12 hours. When I smoke a cigarette after the first day, first couple days 1-6 so far, I do not feel any effects of the cigarette its like, I'm just filling up my lungs with smoke and not being ''rewarded'' mentally... but the craving was still slightly there. I also see people saying this medication is making them angry ... I don't know, I roll my eyes at that but everyones different."

JayC27 January 5, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I want to start by saying that drugs have different effects on everyone so not every experience is the same. This medication has changed my life. After trying 7 different anti-depressants, then stopping, then trying again I have finally found one that works. One of my biggest problems was an inability to focus on anything and I am finally clear-minded and able to focus. I still have some problems with mood regulation but it is SO much better than before. I had some pretty bad side effects getting on Wellbutrin (but did with every drug I tried) -- extreme dizziness, nausea, vomiting and bad headaches. Side effects wore off after a week but I still get bad headaches with this med (worth it). Definitely a drug to discuss with your doctor."

Ellie111 January 4, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I have been quite depressed with extreme anxiety, obsessive and compulsive behaviors, Extremely hard addiction to nicotine and some dissociative-psychotic features since 2016 and tried a whole different variety of SSRIS, SNRIS, Mood Stabilizers, but this one at 225mg XL 7 Day is like a custom-made pill for me! 0 desire to smoke, 100 desire to live, socialise, feel empathy and have healthy relationships, the anxiety I can't say for sure it's completely away but i can say for sure that it has lowered at least 65% I feel like I had gone to sleep in 2015 and waked up in december 2017, no side effects so far."

Guerra Dávila (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I’m hypersensitive to everything so I was very nervous to start this medication knowing that it would probably cause anxiety symptoms and I already have an anxiety and panic disorder. But I was very happy to find out that it did not affect me that way at all. I have not felt the jitters that I heard about or anxiety. I have not been on it long; I just started it within the last few days. I’m on 150mg/1X a day for now. I’m just very happy to find out that I am not suffering from a bunch of side effects (knock on wood)."

MzCat (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "Dealing with PTSD for 20+ years has been a blurry nightmare with very few gasps of air. My anger had gotten uncontrollable even though I thought it was. I have been on haldol, lexapro, and a couple of others . I have to admit welbutrin saved my marriage and more. The first few weeks were pretty rough but after that I can actually end an argument or conversation that's not going well without blowing up .."

77survivor November 29, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Was put on this after I went to the psych ward for suicidal thoughts and general depression. Before this I was on Prozac for 3 weeks, stopped taking it due to increased anxiety and extreme binge eating that I never had before. After that my doc switched me to 20 mg Celexa. Took that on and off for over a year... it helped slightly with anxiety but quickly became as effective as taking sugar pills. I started on the generic SR, 2 a day and with that I had slight ringing in the ears, some random panicky feelings. But my mood had improved tremendously, plus my sex drive went way up after just 1 day! My appetite control is great. On 300 mg XL generic now and side effects are subsiding. Had worries about seizures but that's rare. 0.3% incidence."

Alexandrea Martelli (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

"I am a 37 year old female started this med for depression. Its been a week I feel great not only that my sex drive is high, my husband can barely keep up. I went from having no orgasms to amazing orgasms "

Ifeelalive (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I was taking this for about 6 years. From 13-18. I had a few spotty teen years where I would barely take the meds and I ended up in the hospital many times. I had a very weird and high sex drive and right when I got off it went away. I had intense night terrors and would start yelling in my sleep, I would sweat so much it looked like I wet myself. The nightmares got so vivid and intense I was confusing reality with my dreams, I would constantly have to ask people if something had happened or not. I lost weight when I was taking this regularly. I've been off for almost two years, and all that being said I think I may start it up again. It was one of the only depression meds that kept my emotions but kept the bad ones away for the most part"

Willowd677 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2017

"I am a 40 year old female. I have suffered from major depressive disorder for over 10 years. I have been on so so many antidepressants over the years. Recently, I stopped seeing my PDoc, and during my transition to finding a new one I had to go off prozac. I was being supplemented with Bupropion, I was then only taking the bupropion. Since then I have had the BEST sex of my life. I have more energy than I have had in years. This was a pleasant coincidence that I stumbled into. I have noticed that reading other blogs, men do not have the same experience as women in general, and will probably be disappointed if going on this medication for increased libido. It does do wonders for a good all around mood though."

All the way (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have been on this med three seperate times over a few years on and off not a side effect that I took notice off? I am on 150mg and in Aust. Its called Zyban and for quitting smoking. I am on it as a help for bi-polar depression that just won’t leave me. The chemist told me that I could quit cold turkey that’s its make up is different to other anti-depressants and I did. I would not recommend that to anyone without their own medical advice. I had no effects. I went off Zyban as it just got to a stage where I didn’t notice benefits, but the specialist keeps convincing me to go back on it. That it is doing some good. And no side effects that I can tell. I’m on lithium, Ritalin, deralin and Zyban just stopped seroquel."

Koalamaiden (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017