User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was prescribed this drug treatment in the 1997-2000 years and it caused me to end up in the ER due to spontaneous unthinkable suicide attempt by taking an overdose dose of Amblify (15 tabs!) and as soon as I swallowed it I asked myself “what did I just do?!?!? Then I didn’t know what was going to happen!?! My friend called an ambulance and I ended up in ER !?!? When Doctor asked me why I did it-“ I told him that I didn’t know?!? I had no “ thoughts of suicide and I had no idea what I was doing and that I was not going to be a danger to myself because of that!?! I had to go to Outpatient Therapy for several weeks!"

NJersey (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I'm on 150 mg Wellbutrin XL's, and since I've started taking them, I've noticed my dreams are extremely vivid and disturbing, I'm getting confused easily, major insomnia, which isn't normal for me by any means. Was on Prozac, then Lexapro, switched to celexa after 3 doses, and now I'm stuck with Wellbutrin. I was told to push through and keep taking it, but all of my experiences with stimulants with an amphetemine base have been unpleasant. Im probably going to discontinue it, I'd rather be unmedicated than lose days of sleep and have horrible dreams whenever I can sleep. Not a great experience imo"

TedB (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on it for a month, to no avail. 5* rating because I had no side effects, but it did not help either."

Push91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "In the last 6 years I have taken a few meds for my depression. Started with Lexapro which helped but caused very quick weight gain. Switched to Cymbalta which caused rash. Switched quickly to Prozac which caused horrible dreams and sexual issues!! Was then put on Wellbutrin by a psych NPR because of my issues with weight gain and sexual side effects. Drug was a miracle for me!!! Lost 45lbs in 2 years after starting it and sexual side effects disappeared!! Started out on 150mg a day but upped to 300mg a day when I had a depressive episode!! Since upping dose have had no issues other than unusual dreams, but can live with that!! Nothings perfect!!!"

hackgolfpro September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this med for a while now but recently I was bumped up to the highest dose allowable. I have been on this dose for 3 months and it has completely changed my life. I don't need a nap from the moment I wake till I go to bed and my pain level has dropped to a manageable level. Because of this med, I have a new lease on life."

Dazzlebandit (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I had to stop the drug after 5 doses as it gave me tinnitus. I was not prepared to possibly risk hearing damage."

BJ1097 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "So I was on Lexapro 20mg for 3 months and it helped somewhat with my very SEVERE depression that I was suffering from with severe anxiety, It was HELL! So my next appointment with the nurse practitioner I was prescribed bupropionXL and she told me to add it to my lexapro and too take both together, but as soon as I started too take them both I got very emotionally sad and numb, so my sister told me to stop taking the lexapro to give the bupropion a chance to work on its own and that has helped so much because now I feel a lot better then before and I'm only taking 150mg XL. Just wanted to share my experience with anyone."

James1738 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I've been taking this medication for under 6months now and I have gained 10lbs while taking this drug. I don't feel like I have increased energy than before like some other people described. I feel more irritable & anxious at times, still can't sleep at night. I get the dry mouth side effects and occasional constipation. I'm taking 300mg XL once a day. I am getting more depressed with gaining weight on this drug! I was taking Lexapro before & didn't find it help me feeling less depressed & experience alot of nightmare or weird dreams while taking Lexapro!"

Cheshyrecat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Welbutrin ruined my life. I went from 220 lbs. down to barely 100. I cannot eat. I am literally rotting away. It enlarged my prostate and now I feel like I'm carrying around a grapefruit. It also increased my libido to the point of being completely frustrating."

StevenB2374 August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "This is for Anxiety/major depressive disorder and BPD. The side effects suck. Since I've been on Wellbutrin I've had severe dizzy spells and severe insomnia where I stay up all night and get 2-5 hours of sleep in the morning, on good days. My appetite is suppression is not as extreme as other medications I've been on but I have lost 5 pounds on it. I like eating so I don't like that. I had my first self harm episode and it had been over a year and it was over something insignificant that happens all the time. It gave me depression. I personally haven't experienced a good thing about this med but I'm giving it another month or two to work. I'm hopeful."

Gwenithhearts July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was prescribed Wellbutrin 2xday after Celexa stopped working after being on it 5 years. Within a few days of taking the Wellbutrin my anxiety was back and depression was worse. Had trouble staying asleep because my mind was constantly racing. Definitely did not work for me."

JC23 (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been on Wellbutrin for about three months now. It was prescribed to me by a psychiatrist due to depression and anxiety, low cognitive function and bad working memory. Wellbutrin started working on me around week 8. Mood lifted immensely, better executive function, lower anxiety, became much more goal oriented. Stopped delaying and procastinating everything, became interested in my hobbies again, felt clear headed, more energetic and general mental well being. Struggle with working memory a bit, still."

RhettV July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was diagnosed with depression and panic disorder in 2013. The first medication I was prescribed was Zoloft, which turned me into a zombie. My doctor then switched me to Effexor, which had way too many side effects from mood and all the way to affecting my vision. I was then switched to Lexapro, which was great and masking the depression but made me gain 30+ pounds in less than a year and literally have zero motivation. 3 months ago, my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and it's made the biggest difference in my life. In the first couple of weeks my anxiety was a lot worse but that went away entirely and I haven't had any other side effects. My energy is back and I genuinely look forward to the next day."

JX June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this for depression. It's worked very effectively for that and it's helped me so much more in other areas in my life. I've been on it since 2011. It's helped me quit smoking 7 times now. It has also helped me with my ADHD symptoms. I am gaining weight but that's due to my antipsychotic. I have schizophrenia. This has been a great mood enhancer and has helped me so much. I started on 150mg for a month and was on 300mg for 5 years. I guess my body built up a tolerance and last year I was having extra depressive episodes. My psychiatrist upped this to 450mg (max dose) and added trintellix and my depression is back under control. That's the only reason I am giving it a 9/10. It has been truly helpful from the first day."

MillerMillion (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I am currently using wellbutrin xl (150mg) a day as an add on to trintellix. I have been on every medication under the sun & always seem to have negative side effects. My biggest struggle with my depression is fatigue & no energy. I've only been on wellbutrin 5 days & I feel a tremendous difference. I am awake in the morning & don't feel like I am going to fall asleep at random times during the day. I also haven't taken a nap in 5 days either which is huge considering I always nap. I am a little anxious sometimes & am also dealing with sleeping issues so I may talk to my Dr about switching to the SR. I am also dealing with a lot of muscle spams but this always happens when I adjust a dose or try a new medication. Wish I tried this sooner!"

Lo Marie x June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "Suffered three mental breakdowns, hospitalised three times & off work each time four months each. I am on Wellbutrin XL 300mg once daily in a.m. and find I can function fully during each day; also take 'Adco-Alzam' 0.5mg twice daily to suppress panic attacks. Been on this for >8 years; and have got my confidence back!! Symptoms UNDER CONTROL!!! At last confidence and quality of life, not going off these again.... NEVER!"

Cocoo-Land (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I take this drug to help combat Major Depression (had for 1.5 years). I have also tried Paxil (made me crazier), Prozac (did nothing for me) and Effexor (worked well but the sexual side effects were worse than the depression). I started Wellbutrin at 150mg and slowly increased to 300mg by after completely titrating off Effexor, had to increase to 450 because MD came back. SO, here is the deal - at first this drug feels awful (realize that most anti's are like this in the beginning). I had to stick with it for at least a month and the extreme anxiety has always normalized. But OMG - this is the first drug that motivates me to get out of bed and face each day. for me it helps to balance my down mood & 'urge to isolate' and sabotage my day."

StickwithIt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I live with depression and anxiety. Generic Wellbutrin has given me none of the sexual side effects I experienced with SSRIs like Zoloft. Seems to help me get out of the house. I'm on 150mg every morning and I'm trying 200mg soon. 300mg was too much for me."

Mandy87 May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Wellbutrin (all doses - 150 at first and after a year of taking 300, and then now to 200 mg). It has been a standalone lifesaver. I have been motivated to get out of my bed and do things I normally would not do, such as visit a winery by myself, go on a solo hike, vacations (even out of the country) alone, which can be difficult as a single woman. It has given me the ability to manage my ADD and a slew of other affective spectrum issues. During the two years on it, I have tried Lexapro and Viibryd alongside the Wellbutrin, both of which did not have that much of a positive effect on me. The Wellbutrin, however, is noticeably effective for me as a person. It just really seems to match my specific set of issues and needs."

Lalala8888 May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "MY person experience may differ for others, but BEST combo for me so far, has included Wellbutin XL 300mg. Many years receiving mental health services (27 years). Had to stop SSRI's. Wellbutrin however helped increase my motivation, had none. Was so bad I laid in bed months from severe depression, so long immobile that both legs filled with blood clots and near death!! Survived on blood thinners and hospital over a week. With Wellbutrin had no weight gain, lost the 50lb other meds helped put on me! Lower cholest., quit smoking as a nice bonus and no sexual issues, in fact helped imho."

HorrorActress1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Name brand worked. But generic didn't."

Elmerdwfudd (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My parents recently divorced. I had just moved. Life was a mess, smoking/pot everyday. I didn't see a future and that made me unhappy. I took a year off school to put my life back together, and am using wellbutrin as a tool to do so. I'm on at 300mg generic. I think the wellbutrin makes you look in a different perspective. Hard to explain, but I saw how far in a hole I was and what I need to do to get to the happiness I wanted. This new light and I've been taking each day as a mission to reach it. I assume this is where the ADHD effect comes into play. Careful with alcohol though Wellbutrin combo makes you do stupid things. And pot is scary.. trust me! but allowed me to stop smoking and begin a new journey to a great future. Hopefully :)"

Mountain-Top March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I was on the 75mg SR formulation for a week before taking two a day. Went to 150 XL the next month and 300 XL after that. Been on it for about 3 months now. I love this medication. It's changed my life. I don't feel depressed very often anymore and combined with therapy, my life is substantially better. No side effects at all! Much better than Lexapro, which gave me bad sexual side effects."

KMDM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "This did nothing for me, as far as I'm concerned, I think its a placebo.. I was very depressed because I felt awful everyday, I could barely get out of bed, I felt exhausted, foggy mind, body ached, and long list of other debilitating symptoms.. I knew I wasn't just feeling these things physically for no reason. I'm only 30yrs old and when I started having memory problems I knew that it wasn't just Depression!! My primary doc did blood work and found I had some severe vitamin deficiencies! I got some prescription vitamins and changed my diet.. I feel better physically and mentally!! This may not help everyone but I encourage you to make sure your doc does a lot of tests tests to rule out others health issues before before blaming depression"

Justice feels good January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I've only been on this medication since the 18th of this month, but one thing that I have noticed with this medication is that it is helping me to not have a constant appetite. I was not only needing help with depression, but I was also needing help with weight loss and at this point I don't know how the weight-loss will/will not work with med, but I do know that I do not have an appetite like before taking this. And for that I am very grateful. I also understand that it could take 3 to 4 weeks before I notice the effects for the depression. I am hopeful!"

Butterfli January 24, 2017