User Reviews for Bupropion to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin, Budeprion Forfivo XL Budeprion SR

Bupropion has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 319 ratings for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder. 59% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Bupropion Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Bupropion

alive13 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 20, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Like others on this site, I have tried so many antidepressants. SSRIs take away any sexual feeling for me, and I tend to put on weight and not have the best self image with them. Buproprion is the only medication that really allows me to FEEL my feelings, and talk more easily in social settings. After your adjust (some insomnia for a few weeks) it actually helped me to sleep better. It took me a few times of trying this medication to really get it to work for me. It helped with my anxiety rather than making it worse, but depression was my biggest problem, hopelessness, fatigue etc. This medication makes jokes funny, trees prettier and makes me feel emotionally stronger. Remember that it takes courage and patience to get help and to stick with it until it works. God bless.”

Andi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “GIVE THIS MEDICATION WELLBUTRIN A FIGHTING CHANCE I almost quit a month in, but I am SO glad I didn’t and toughed out the negative side effects. When I started I felt dazed and sedated, but wired and jittery at the same time. My insomnia was horrible. Other side effects I experienced included tinnitus, horrible anxiety, hand tremors, heart palpitations, and a really short temper. I desired nothing, but had the energy to do everything - weird combo. OKAY, now for the GOOD, and things I think people should know before giving up this medication - the side effects last a LONG time (two and a half months for me), but they DO all go away. I was now able to get up early to workout, got into cooking, lost weight, and felt hopeful about life. Sex also got WAY better now that I could stop living in my head, which was a huge plus. For the first time in a long time I can really say I feel happy. So give it time!”

F/21 June 14, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “This drug Wellbutrin has been life changing for me. After trying SSRIs and SNRIs that didn’t work, it did the trick. Yes, it sucks at first; the side effects are horrible but you have to give it time. And on these meds at first, I got the head zaps, anxiety like I had never felt before, heart palpitations, lack of appetite and weight loss, headaches, nausea, severe insomnia- the whole nine yards. But after about 5 months on 300 mg, I turned a corner and feel better than ever. I can focus, I’m not tired but can sleep if I need to, my anxiety largely went away, I’m happy and can orgasm too. All the side effects pretty much subsided, save for the appetite one... I still don’t have to eat if I don’t want to but I’m not repulsed by the idea of food anymore. So seriously, it isn’t a conventional drug and it’s bad initially but PLEASE stick with it. Don’t expect it to work overnight... these things take time. I promise you will get results. You got this. Hang in there!”

Pat1414 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “This medication saved my life! I tried every different antidepressant. I was at my lowest and taking 2 antidepressants at the time. I never thought of suicide till then. I had nothing left, no hope, no joy. My Dr. prescribed 300mg Wellbutrin XL once a day and I kid you not, I WOKE UP A DIFFERENT PERSON! No depression, great mood, no anxiety (like some say), pleasure and joy back, no racing thoughts, no fatigue, no restlessness. I'm me again!”

Salim April 26, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Wellbutrin was amazing to me I was on it for depression, but I stopped smoking after I used to smoke a lot a day. It gave me enormous energy and improved my depression a lot. I am thankful to the scientists who developed this drug. Don't let the negative reviews scare you. Try it and you will not regret it”

Caroline · Taken for 10 years or more May 10, 2021

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “I have been on Wellbutrin SR almost since it was available for use by the FDA. I started on the starter dose of 100mg Wellbutrin SR. I felt much better. Then my MD wanted me to try the next size increase, so I did. I had a bad reaction of paranoia, so I went back down to my starting dose. I have been on that dose ever since. With this medication I went from sleeping 14-18 hours, thinking nonstop about everything negative, to sleeping an average of 8 hrs with NO ruminating about negative thoughts. I went back to school and became an RN. I am an example of a huge success story on Wellbutrin. Before I started on Wellbutrin, I had tried all the other antidepressants on the market, with no success.”

Joy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 2, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I’m 39 female that was prescribed Wellbutrin/Bupropion without a psych evaluation and soon as I started taking it... I began having dreams and sexual desires. I continued thinking things would change but they got worse. Weeks later I began to hallucinate and even forgot where I parked my car after going shopping one day and ended up calling police and reported it stolen when it wasn’t. I also started seeing things that weren’t there and having really dark thoughts. This drug took over my life and caused me to make irrational decisions like up and moving 1200 miles across country for no apparent reason whatsoever. A situation I regret! I got a second opinion and was taken off of wellbutrin immediately and given a psych evaluation. I was given prozac and trazadone but no longer take them. I just got a puppy, I changed my diet and lifestyle and learned coping mechanisms. I will never take another pill if I can help it.”

Lin-Lu January 10, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I have been on and off different SSRI's and none of them have helped e.g. slept my life away, foggy mind, couldn't concentrate, no feelings, constant ringing in my ears, low libido. I started on Wellbutrin XL 150mg for 1 month and my doc upped my dose to 300mg. My experience has been super wonderful, from sleeping too much I am now going to bed later at night and getting up earlier & feel refreshed. I cry when I need to which to me is a good release. I am always busy. I have redone my whole home & garden, I go out more (use to be a total recluse). I sit & have my coffee out on the patio & watch the bird life and find so much joy in every day life. I have found an inner peace with Wellbutrin XL that I have never felt before. Big thumbs up :)”

ASDFG · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 22, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “This Wellbutrin is the only antidepressant I can tolerate. It seems to be one of the more stimulating ones, which I need because of my hypothyroidism. I can't handle a high dose so have stuck with 100-150mg 1x a day for over 5 years and I don't usually feel depressed. If I miss a dose I feel a little down and lethargic. I've smoked on and off for 20+ years and I can't say it helps me in that area--at least not at the dose I'm taking. I've been told I am wired differently than most (O-) and so far this is the only mostly effective antidepressant I have ever taken without side effects.”

Bug · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2019

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “Wellbutrin saved my life. I was at the point that I hated being around everyone. I could only manage to go to work and come back to my bed. I had no energy. I had no sex drive. I had no interest in ANYTHING. I wasn't sad...I just existed. I endured feeling like this for about a year. No breaks of feeling better. My doctor prescribed me Wellbutrin SR and it has changed my life. The first week was hard. The side effects were no joke. I had minor auditory and visual hallucinations and experienced my first panic attack of my life. BUT- my doctor asked me to push through it and I did. It has helped me quit smoking. I have lost 15 pounds and I am not lethargic anymore. It boosted my libido. I can be around people without wanting to flip out. I can concentrate at work again. I sleep 7-8 hours like most people. Instead of spending every moment I can in bed. If this is an option- I highly recommend Wellbutrin.”

Vice February 13, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Wellbutrin has changed my life ! I was such a terrible and irrational and very depressed person before this medication. My partner and I was always arguing at mostly the fault of my own. I had such a hard time getting out of bed and taking on the day. I would absolutely need a mid afternoon four hour nap to get me through. Wellbutrin has given me so much mental clarity. It has saved my relationship. And it’s allowed me to go through my days feeling “normal”. The only downfall is it gives me a very dry mouth which is not good for my overall oral health but I have found some toothpaste and mouthwash that help a little. It’s worth it for the clear mind.”

Sharon · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 26, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I have been taking Wellbutrin 300 XL for about 3 yrs. It helps my depression a lot. I am able to function daily and not overreact. Started at 150mg and went to 300mg. Before Wellbutrin , I was very depressed, and working , parenting, and everything was causing me grief, sadness, and fear. I was overweight and I overreacted to small things. I felt hopeless and on edge everyday. I have a low functioning thyroid as well that may have been making my depression worse. So now I am on track. It took me about 2 weeks to feel a difference. Now I do have several of the side effects. I lost about 30 lbs. I have a low appetite, I have ringing in my right ear. I also have dry mouth, anxiety, trouble sleeping, and blurred vision. I can handles the side effects but not the depression. So I have stayed on the medicine. Also I suddenly stopped taking the meds one time and it caused suicidal thoughts and flu like symptoms.”

Hondachick96 July 7, 2021

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I am on day 3 of taking 150 MG Wellbutrin XL, extended release. I was previously taking 10 MG Lexapro for 4 years. I found myself constantly fatigued, absolutely no libido and gaining weight. I'm a 44 yr, 145 lb, female. Day one I noticed immediate effect such as a calmness and I wasn't as sad. Keep in mind, I took a month off from no meds at all. I wanted to give my body time to adjust with not having the Lexapro in my system. Day 2 and 3, I noticed my appetite was suppressed. I wasn't as hungry as I was before. I have also been experiencing a slight headache. I am also dealing with insomnia. I think I got maybe 1 hour of sleep the first night, second night, slept better but did wake up and had a hard time falling back to sleep. I will keep you updated and good luck to anyone taking this medication! I have read horror stories with mixing this with alcohol. I haven't tried it and almost scared to have a glass of wine...I'm not a big drinker but I'm scared to have at least 1 or 2 glasses of wine.”

Becker10 · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Hardly any side effects. Had a little nausea for the first few nights but that’s all. I’ve noticed a HUGE difference in my anxiety and depression. I’m better at work. I don’t get worked up when I’m overloaded with work. I take 150mg XL at 8:30am and there’s no weird coming down feeling at night. It’s a beautiful medication. I couldn’t stop watching TV and now I can turn it off and do dishes, laundry, take my dog on a hike. I don’t have that gut-wrenching anxiety knot in my stomach anymore.”

DD · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 13, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “My first antidepressant when I turned 22. Currently take 150mg XL once a day. It definitely felt like a super drug for the first few months; happier mood, increased motivation, less food binging, happier sex life. Wellbutrin XL will eventually slow down in terms of effectiveness. But even without the "high" energy, I am in a better place with it. Don't do this-- I stopped taking them to see if I still needed them and that was a good laugh. No physical withdrawals but my suicidal thoughts came back. So I learned to just be humble and accept a life with *at least* no suicidal thoughts.”

Birdsaregreat · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 6, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I’ve been on Wellbutrin xl with my dosage varying from 300-450. This is the best antidepressant I have every tried and I have tried many. Whenever I increase my dosage I do experience side effects for a little while. Mostly I’m more easily annoyed and fidgity. They always go away over time. This is the only medication that has been able to increase my energy levels and sex drive. I also have GAD, have had psychotic depression in the past, and panic attacks in the past. This drug doesn’t exacerbate any of those problems for me. I’m also on Seroquel though so that probably helps with my sleep. Many antidepressants have given me terrible headaches but this one does not. I get migraines a few time’s a year, same as before. If you’ve found that other antidepressants don’t work for you I highly recommend this one. Almost no side effects and definitely gives me the energy I need.”

A · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I’ve been taking this for a little over 2 weeks now. Before this I was on Zoloft for almost 5 years. 6 years of my life I had constant thoughts of ending it. Ever since I’ve been on this medication I finally want to live. So far I’m having the basic side effects of most anti depressants, loss of appetite (although it is coming back), dry mouth, constipation/stomach pains, and being a bit more sensitive than usual. I would much rather deal with any side effects than wanting to end my life. I’ve read that some side effects will go away within time (since I’m only on my third week)”

Davidagain March 27, 2016

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I really did not intend to review wellbutrin...just curious what other people said...but so much "neg" I felt I had to speak. I've been on it for 29 YEARS! I had been seriously depressed for a few months..my therapist was a moron for waiting three months to send me to a Psych! I was told it would take at least 2 weeks to be really effective...for me it was day 17. I woke up and when I first looked in the mirror(gut check time) I didn't say to myself "wow I feel better" I said "omg is this what normal people feel like when they wake up in the morning?" For all practical purposes that was like my actual birthday...the day I became a fully functioning human. I'm lucky, it works and it keeps working.”

Mike F. January 22, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Stopped taking Suboxone for opiate addiction and Wellbutrin saved my life. Only thing I use that I should’ve looked into years ago for my depression, anxiety , and slight ADHD! Highly recommend it to opiate users coming off blockers or meds. Side effects; insomnia for first week, and dry mouth. Otherwise, I’m a big placebo guy but I noticed instant change in mood (for the better)!”

sunnyrayod · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 19, 2020

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I have suffered from MDD for the majority of my life. I struggled for 5 years and through 16 different meds till we landed on Wellbutrin. One of the selling points for me is that this particular anti-depressant is well known for not causing weight gain. And I can attest to that! On top of it not causing ANY side effects whatsoever, I started to feel better emotionally/physically within 2 weeks of being on Wellbutrin (Bupropion). I take two 150mg a day in the morning with my breakfast. I will say it did NOT help my anxiety even one single ounce, however with how much it has done for my depression, I will happily take a second medication for my anxiety. I have more energy, it gives me a huge boost in my mood, and that hasn’t changed! I haven’t had to switch or change meds and I have been on it for just over a year now. Thank goodness for this medication, seriously, a drastic difference, I finally get to be finally me!”

Monica · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2019

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Wellbutrin has been amazing. I have anxiety, depression, ADHD & PTSD. It was hard getting used to this one as it amped me up a lot. Take with food as early as possible. The constipation and anxiety did subside. Now I can’t believe I’ve allowed myself to be so sad when this stuff even makes air blowing on my face feel incredible. Here’s what I found - after trying everything SSRI wise, if you have bad side effects right away, it’s not the right drug. Taking this Wellbutrin, I knew right away, was totally different. I did need Xanax to be a crutch with this at first because of the anxiety...but I was also tapering off gabapentin at the time so who knows why I was that anxious. So this is how “normal” people feel w/o depression...interesting. Lucky.”

Mac · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “If at all possible you really need to use the name brand Wellbutrin if you're going with the XL version. I thought this med was terrible (Bupropion XL), causing heart palpitations, confusion, nightmares, the list goes on. I tried two different generics, both were terrible. I read a few posts regarding issues with the XL version, as well as some FDA articles on removing the generic XL from the market in 2012 (that's not too long ago). This got me wondering if it was the time release mechanism of the generics causing all of my side effects. I have been taking it for over a month now with miraculous results. Side effects are non-existent, happiness is back, motivation is back, sex drive is back. This med truly is a miracle for me. It's also helping so much with my ADHD, to the point I've all but stopped using any stimulants. Please, before you right off this medication try to get the name brand.”

Kikit · Taken for 10 years or more November 8, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I've lived through alot of trauma, I have been on Wellbutrin XL for 10 years and recently stopped for 10 months. Today is my 6th day back on it and I am feeling less anxious about my circumstances in life right now. It has helped me daily get out of bed, control outburst, and overall keep moving forward. I would say I am lucky to have this medication.”

NoDep · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I was suffering from depression couldn't get myself out of bed for 1 year tried different things nothing works like wellbutrin XL. I started with 150mg and then increased the dose to 300mg. The effect started to show about the second week, made me get up and have my life back again.”

Helped a lot! September 19, 2019

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I used to have 0 motivation. I could not get out of bed for weeks at a time. I ate whatever food I had and peed in bottles because I couldn’t make the effort go to bathroom; even though bathroom is across from my room! On second day of taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg, I found myself washing my dishes! It surprised me! And it continued to get better from there. Now after about 6 weeks, I’m back in school, working, eating, exercising, meditating, my room is spotless, car is clean, I shower every day and I’m more motivated than I have ever been. A few tips: 1. As helpful as this med is, you can’t just rely on this to help you. You must create healthy lifestyle (eat, exercise, sleep, etc). After all, health comes from healthy living. 2. You might get insomnia and nightmares. To help with insomnia I take 300mg magnesium glycinate and melatonin. It helps but it’s not 100% effective. 3. You won’t get hungry, but remember to eat at least 2,000 calories.”

Learn more about Major Depressive Disorder