User Reviews for Bupropion to treat ADHD

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Zyban, Aplenzin, Buproban, Budeprion XL, Forfivo XL, Budeprion, Budeprion SR

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Bupropion

Charles · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2019

"Works great if you have ADHD!! It does the exact same for me that Adderall 30mg accomplishes, without the Hyperfocus/crash! Bupropion HCL is more of a mood stabilizer for me and keeps me from freaking out over different work tasks. I take 150mg's 2x daily, 1 in the morning, and in the evening after I work after 3:30pm. You can't tell when the medicine kicks in, it you just feel more balanced throughout the day."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2019

"Garbage for my ADHD. Doctor even upped the dosage, still leaving personal daily used effects everywhere, still unable to concentrate on simple tasks. Having the inability to focus and wanting to simultaneously leads to fits of rage. Idk how this ever got considered for ADHD"

Gsdgirl · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2019

"Day 2 was great. Felt focused, motivated, cleaned the entire basement, rearranged the living room. After that was downhill. Sleep disruption, panic attacks at work and home, crying fits, agitated, paranoid, nausea and headaches. They say to wait 4-6 weeks, but for the sake of my family I’m done. If you are prone to anxiety this is NOT for you."

Charles · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2019

"I honestly think this works better than adderall. I tried different dosages of adderall, and it all seems to have the crash effect. This medicine starts to work quickly, and you feel well balanced, not quick to react, calm, and focused. I take it once in the morning 100mg, and second dose in the evening. No side effects. Boosts sex drive!"

Mariah · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2018

"I can not recommend this medication. While some may have found improvement while using it, all I have experienced is crippling migraines whenever I do the most simple of mental tasks. Even sometimes when not thinking at all. Headaches plague me daily ever since starting this drug, and only get worse when trying to use my brain. This is very counterproductive for someone with ADD. I was prescribed this to help focus, and all it has done is make me exponentially more irritable and bring me intense head and eye pain when trying to study or read anything. Lesser symptoms include some annoying random nausea, gas, bloating, and a total halting of my regular menstrual cycle. (Already checked, no I'm not pregnant. I sure thought I was though.) Bupropion sort of made me feel like I had a small improvement to my overall outlook on life, but I'm thinking this had more to do with my brand new employment shortly after starting the medication, not the drug."

Hmk80 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2018

"Weight loss"

Lucy · Taken for 10 years or more September 22, 2018

"Went on Bupropion to quit smoking 20 years ago. Was diagnosed with adult ADHD about 5 years prior. Although I didn't quit smoking my ADHD symptoms were curbed. I wasn't as anxious about things, I was able to prioritize better and was able to listen and focus more."

mcbham · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2018

"I started Wellbutrin SR 150mg twice per day about a week ago. I have noticed a huge difference. I am alert, active, and in a much better mood. I can focus on everything and I am not irritable or angry when I am coming off of the medication. Truly amazing, and better than adderall in my opinion. You cannot build up a tolerance for it, unlike adderall."

Seattle chica May 29, 2018

"I have pretty severe ADD. I forget what I am talking about in the middle of a sentence quite badly. After about a week on this drug I noticed a huge change in my ability to remember things and this really helped increase my productivity."

Anna Mouse · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2018

"My new doctor switched my medication from Ritalin to Bupropion without really giving me a reason. While this medication has helped with my depression somewhat, I do not believe it can or ever will be able to deal with all of it as I feel the depression is due to my current job/living situation and is NOT related to a chemical imbalance. Before I lost my good job and had to move back in with my controlling parents, I was happy. This medication is not helping me with my ADHD - inattentive type issues. Specifically time blindness, executive functioning, and inattention. In college I was diagnosed with severe ADHD - inattentive type and Ritalin made a huge difference in my life. Hope to get back on that medication and take Bupropion only when I am really feeling down."

Jimmy H December 26, 2017

"I was diagnosed with ADHD at 31 years of age and I was prescribed 300mg XL. It took about a week or two to really kick in and at first the medication was life changing. I had motivation to get off the couch (maybe due to depression?) and more importantly I could focus for the first time in my life. I was reading books - something I never could do before! My wife noticed a huge difference. My boss and co-workers noticed a huge difference. Six months after first being diagnosed and taking the medication - I still have motivation to get off the couch but my ability to focus has reverted back to pre-medication days. Noticed side effects: Vivid dreams, dry mouth, insomnia (although that has tapered off)."

Hyper Harry · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2017

"The first three days Bupropion worked like a miracle. I was very calm, my inner restlessness was completely gone. I had some side effects like a mild fever and stomach ache. But that was well worth the effects. The best and most surprising effect was that my Tics were reduced by roughly 90%. On the 4th day of my medication, however, I felt 0 effects from the medicine and I haven't felt anything since. We tried upping the dose to regain the amazing effects but this only made my depressed and gave me suicidal thoughts. My advice is, try this medicine but be careful. It can work as a charm, and it can turn out horrible."

3MShellie September 3, 2017

"This has been completely life changing. I suffered with Anxiety/Disthymia/ADHD. From near constant panic and self hatred and sadness and not seeing a future to being content, happy, balanced, bright... the ME I remember/want to be. I cried when I felt it kick in because I didn't remember how to be this calm- with ADHD I'm REALLY emotionally reactive. This took the bad feelings down SEVERAL notches to "there, but normal/manageable." I keep trying to summon the bad feelings I had before, like poking at a healing bruise, but I CAN'T. I tend to call my anxiety RSD (rejection sensitive dysphoria) caused by a life of being undiagnosed ADHD. I do have decreased appetite but I also take adderall so it's probably more that. I also want to lose weight so I'm not worried about it."

32amrak · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2017

"I am taking Wellbutrin for ADHD and mild depression. I started on 150 MG XL for 3-weeks and increased to 300 MG XL because I didn't think it was working as well as it could. Initially, I did experience side effects, including headaches and nausea. I also experienced agitation and irritability initially on the 300 MG XL. However, by the following week I felt even better than I did on the 150 MG XL and it lasts all day! It is important to find the right dose for you. Some people do better on less, some more, some on sustained release, some on extended release. I feel like I have the focus, energy, and motivation that will be life changing. Advise: tough out the side effects, they will go away and it will be worth it."

Alex G. May 4, 2017

"I'd been seeing a psychiatrist that had me on Adderall for about 2 years. My ability to take care of myself had increased greatly, but I still didn't have a job. My vocational rehab program sent me to a new doctor who decided to take me off the Adderall and prescribe this instead, despite the fact I had made improvements on the former. Been almost 4 weeks. Maybe because I'm already use to taking something different it just doesn't feel effective. It feels like a very neutered version of adderall, and I often find myself sleepy and tired. I can focus on things, but only a little bit. I can remember things, sometimes, usually right around when I take a dose but my long term memory is shot. I feel anxious and stiff too."

Adhd - Over-focused · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 11, 2017

"Well, not sure if everyone follows the take on ADHD 7-types, but my girlfriend pretty much says that the traits for the "over-focused" type is me to a "T". Worrier, resistant to change, hyper-focused, impulsive, forgetful, etc. Doctor originally thought GAD - so treated with Effexor, Cipralex, Imipramine and then Cymbalta. Cymbalta made things so worse. Psychiatrist caught the ADHD and prescribed Wellbutrin. HUGE difference. I see it, friends see it...and my psych is really pleased with the change and turn-around. May not be for everyone..and give it several weeks if you try. Oh - some pluses...no impact on the libido (maybe even increased)...and a bit of appetite suppression (hey, two side-effects most could live with!)"

Kwiat March 20, 2017

"I've just started and yes while I do feel something I have yet to make a full decision on if it works. My issue is focus, hard to focus on life in general , can't pay attention long enough to learn which really hurts at work. I was taking Naboline and Marijuana which helped perfectly. For whatever reason my dr wants me to try something else . My questions is if something g works why put me on something that might work ? But I'm willing to try. The first three days I have felt similar effects but not to the extent that the other drugs help. I feel a bit more irritated with people , my hearing is more sensitive and my appetite is gone."

turtle123 January 18, 2017

"After taking buproprion hcl XL 150mg a day I felt some relief from depression, anxiety and adhd. My MD thought I should see a psychiatrist and would not increase my dosage. I went online and found that the proper dosage for me should be 300 mg a day. As a duplicate bridge player my performance went from last to an astounding first place finish yesterday. Listen to your doctor but do your own research."

seaoats · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2017

"My husband was dxed with adhd as adult at my urging due to impulsiveness, anxiety, inability to hold a job and scattered memory. He was on Wellbutrin initially but changed to Adderall which was effective. Over the years he was on Strattera which lost effectiveness and was placed back on wellbutrin at his request. He has diabetes type 2 and anxiety and hypertension. Only on medication for a week and I am ready to pull my hair out. His anxiety is through the roof. Can't sit still but must watch TV while playing on phone. His blood glucose was panic value last night (441-normal 70-110), repeated himself multiple times, impulsive, left to play tennis but returned because forgot tennis racket and balls, then coffee, two more things. Not okay!"

Stefane Marasco January 8, 2017

"Its weird, but Wellbutrin does something where I have the ability to slow down and think for the split second it takes before I do something impulsively. That's the only way I can describe it. Leaxpro makes the world annoy me off less and makes me chill. But Wellbutrin - It gives me time to think, is this a good idea!"

Josh_D December 8, 2016

"I started taking generic Buproprion XL at 150mg once a day to help with lifelong focus problems and lack of physical energy( ADHD-PI (Inattentive Type)). I was told that this was an off-label treatment and that it might not work, but I was interested in the long half life of the active metabolites and wanted to give it a try. The focus and wakefulness that it restored were very promising, and initial hypertension and blood pressure artifacts faded by the first day. However, there was a persistent lack of ability to easily recall facts or synthesis new ideas and my normally bubbly and chipper mood was blunted to moderately lower level. After day three, I quit. I think the nicotinic antagonism inhibits memory and critical thinking for me."

darkocean-Try this omg! · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2016

"I have bad reaction to most stimulant type medications made for ADHD. Instead of getting strung out like most people would they put me right to sleep, or cause sever twitching, and made my anxiety much much worse. Wellbutrin ROCKS! But just by it self my chest pains from stress are gone, I can remember more, stay on more tasks and get stuff done, instead of spinning around finishing nothing. (A.K.A: Hell.) I thought it wasn't doing much at first until I forgot to take it for 2-3 day.s The difference this makes! I Never knew this damn ADHD was causing me this much stress, I was aware of it as I knew I had to fight all the time with my self just to listen to someone talk and not interrupt or take off. I'm a female with severe ADHD."

Katie619 September 19, 2016

"Wellbutrin worked great for me until my doc accidentally changed my dose without telling me and I had an overdose that almost killed me. It snuck up on me, I was fine until I suddenly was having a grand maul seizure and severe psychotic episodes. I'm now taking 150 mgs and out of no where had more symptoms tonight and thought I was going to have another seizure. I didn't and the feelings went away but in scared and quitting this drug after talking to my doc. I'm also making an appointment with a neurologist. I guess just please be careful. Don't mess with this medicine at all!!!"

jastice · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 11, 2016

"I was suffering from constant fatigue, possibly depression-related, in addition to my ADHD when I initially sought treatment. Bupropion really helped me get out of the worst of it, lifting my mood and increasing concentration. Unfortunately, over time it also increased my tics (comorbid Tourette's) and I developed really annoying urinary problems, while the positive effects seemed to wear off, so I discontinued usage."

Confidents August 25, 2016

"I have always had such a hard time learning and was diagnosed with depression by the age of 8. After trying many antidepessants nothing worked for me besides Bupropion. Not only am I confident and happy again, I'm able to actually understand information that I am learning unstead of it going in and out as I focus. It has helped me achieve time and time again my goals. I recently graduated from college and am so impressed where I stand today. I have taken 300mg mg with another ADH medication. Once my doctor took me off of it due to unrelated problems and everything in my life fell through the.floor. My grade went from a B down to a D. My personality went from happy to bitchy. Once I started taking it again, everything is went back to normal."

Learn more about ADHD

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)