User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat ADHD

"I'd been seeing a psychiatrist that had me on Adderall for about 2 years. My ability to take care of myself had increased greatly, but I still didn't have a job. My vocational rehab program sent me to a new doctor who decided to take me off the Adderall and prescribe this instead, despite the fact I had made improvements on the former. Been almost 4 weeks. Maybe because I'm already use to taking something different it just doesn't feel effective. It feels like a very neutered version of adderall, and I often find myself sleepy and tired. I can focus on things, but only a little bit. I can remember things, sometimes, usually right around when I take a dose but my long term memory is shot. I feel anxious and stiff too."

Alex G. May 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well, not sure if everyone follows the take on ADHD 7-types, but my girlfriend pretty much says that the traits for the "over-focused" type is me to a "T". Worrier, resistant to change, hyper-focused, impulsive, forgetful, etc. Doctor originally thought GAD - so treated with Effexor, Cipralex, Imipramine and then Cymbalta. Cymbalta made things so worse. Psychiatrist caught the ADHD and prescribed Wellbutrin. HUGE difference. I see it, friends see it...and my psych is really pleased with the change and turn-around. May not be for everyone..and give it several weeks if you try. Oh - some pluses...no impact on the libido (maybe even increased)...and a bit of appetite suppression (hey, two side-effects most could live with!)"

Adhd - Over-focused (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've just started and yes while I do feel something I have yet to make a full decision on if it works. My issue is focus, hard to focus on life in general , can't pay attention long enough to learn which really hurts at work. I was taking Naboline and Marijuana which helped perfectly. For whatever reason my dr wants me to try something else . My questions is if something g works why put me on something that might work ? But I'm willing to try. The first three days I have felt similar effects but not to the extent that the other drugs help. I feel a bit more irritated with people , my hearing is more sensitive and my appetite is gone."

Kwiat March 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After taking buproprion hcl XL 150mg a day I felt some relief from depression, anxiety and adhd. My MD thought I should see a psychiatrist and would not increase my dosage. I went online and found that the proper dosage for me should be 300 mg a day. As a duplicate bridge player my performance went from last to an astounding first place finish yesterday. Listen to your doctor but do your own research."

turtle123 January 18, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband was dxed with adhd as adult at my urging due to impulsiveness, anxiety, inability to hold a job and scattered memory. He was on Wellbutrin initially but changed to Adderall which was effective. Over the years he was on Strattera which lost effectiveness and was placed back on wellbutrin at his request. He has diabetes type 2 and anxiety and hypertension. Only on medication for a week and I am ready to pull my hair out. His anxiety is through the roof. Can't sit still but must watch TV while playing on phone. His blood glucose was panic value last night (441-normal 70-110), repeated himself multiple times, impulsive, left to play tennis but returned because forgot tennis racket and balls, then coffee, two more things. Not okay!"

seaoats (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Its weird, but Wellbutrin does something where I have the ability to slow down and think for the split second it takes before I do something impulsively. That's the only way I can describe it. Leaxpro makes the world annoy me off less and makes me chill. But Wellbutrin - It gives me time to think, is this a good idea!"

Stefane Marasco January 8, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking generic Buproprion XL at 150mg once a day to help with lifelong focus problems and lack of physical energy( ADHD-PI (Inattentive Type)). I was told that this was an off-label treatment and that it might not work, but I was interested in the long half life of the active metabolites and wanted to give it a try. The focus and wakefulness that it restored were very promising, and initial hypertension and blood pressure artifacts faded by the first day. However, there was a persistent lack of ability to easily recall facts or synthesis new ideas and my normally bubbly and chipper mood was blunted to moderately lower level. After day three, I quit. I think the nicotinic antagonism inhibits memory and critical thinking for me."

Josh_D December 8, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have bad reaction to most stimulant type medications made for ADHD. Instead of getting strung out like most people would they put me right to sleep, or cause sever twitching, and made my anxiety much much worse. Wellbutrin ROCKS! But just by it self my chest pains from stress are gone, I can remember more, stay on more tasks and get stuff done, instead of spinning around finishing nothing. (A.K.A: Hell.) I thought it wasn't doing much at first until I forgot to take it for 2-3 day.s The difference this makes! I Never knew this damn ADHD was causing me this much stress, I was aware of it as I knew I had to fight all the time with my self just to listen to someone talk and not interrupt or take off. I'm a female with severe ADHD."

darkocean-Try this omg! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wellbutrin worked great for me until my doc accidentally changed my dose without telling me and I had an overdose that almost killed me. It snuck up on me, I was fine until I suddenly was having a grand maul seizure and severe psychotic episodes. I'm now taking 150 mgs and out of no where had more symptoms tonight and thought I was going to have another seizure. I didn't and the feelings went away but in scared and quitting this drug after talking to my doc. I'm also making an appointment with a neurologist. I guess just please be careful. Don't mess with this medicine at all!!!"

Katie619 September 19, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was suffering from constant fatigue, possibly depression-related, in addition to my ADHD when I initially sought treatment. Bupropion really helped me get out of the worst of it, lifting my mood and increasing concentration. Unfortunately, over time it also increased my tics (comorbid Tourette's) and I developed really annoying urinary problems, while the positive effects seemed to wear off, so I discontinued usage."

jastice (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have always had such a hard time learning and was diagnosed with depression by the age of 8. After trying many antidepessants nothing worked for me besides Bupropion. Not only am I confident and happy again, I'm able to actually understand information that I am learning unstead of it going in and out as I focus. It has helped me achieve time and time again my goals. I recently graduated from college and am so impressed where I stand today. I have taken 300mg mg with another ADH medication. Once my doctor took me off of it due to unrelated problems and everything in my life fell through the.floor. My grade went from a B down to a D. My personality went from happy to bitchy. Once I started taking it again, everything is went back to normal."

Confidents August 25, 2016

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If only I had this as a teenager and young adult. No telling where I might be by now. At 50, this has changed so much for me. I'm focused, I've begun organizing and cleaning my home. I'm taking care of myself more. I have a more positive attitude and less anger. There's still a long way to go, but this could change my later years for the better."

T Roy (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2016

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Bupropion, the generic version, makes me feel more on top of things. I do feel the medicine kick in after about an hour and I get a bit "high" if you will. It's a feeling of motivation to go do things and be productive. The first time I was on Wellbutrin (one month), it only lasted about 2 hours (at least what I could feel) and ended up not caring about anything for the rest of the day. Then recently I started Wellbutrin XL 150MG and it lasts much longer. I made the mistake of taking it at night, when I should have taken in the morning. Bad insomnia because of it, but I learned my lesson. I'd say it is the only antidepressant that has worked on both depression and ADHD by helping me concentrate, remember, stay on track, and also motivation."

Jelly94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Went off Vyvanse onto this and found that after about 7 weeks at 300mg that I had considerable energy boost and overall more steady feeling. However, I still feel no calming or focus benefits for me and my Dr has now prescribed Guacamoliefein or somethingto try and make me less hyper active and impulsive. I just think I need a race car or a figher jet to boast my noreadrenaline levels as the Wellbutrin just seems to act on my dopamine levels. I truly believe this could be the right meds for folks with more inattentive type symptoms or folks with ADD and type B personalities like my Dad and brother. I'm type A and this Wellbutrin just doesn't bring the calm focus the Vyvanse brought me."

Braindeadn't July 31, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Dr. prescribed me Wellbutrin XL 2 months ago for depression and ADHD. It has truly helped with both. I began planning and cooking meals, exercising, and I have more motivation and I focus much better. However, I had to quit drinking coffee because the drug makes me feel anxious. I describe it as irrational/unreasonable. For example, one day I was in Wal-Mart with my toddlers and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. I think I'm going to give this drug another month and if the anxiety persists, I may ask to try something else."

27 year old woman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This lasts all day; I'm a fast drug metabolizer, so I take 150mg in the am and 150mg in the pm. There isn't a come down, like from stimulants. It helped my thoughts to come back to a normal pace and stay on-topic. Helped energy levels. Didn't help my ability to pay attention to details. Still spaced out when people were talking to me. BUT it helped me be more present and actually remember to do things. No more losing my keys/phone/shoes/mind every day, or struggling to do simple tasks. Added Adderral for the spaciness. Note that it may counteract/mute the effect of most stims, so your doctor may suggest you adjust your dosage. Because of they way they interact, it actually makes my adderral last longer, and there's zero crash from it."

kendalh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 28, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It did not help with my focus at all. frequent urination, hot flushes, more energy but did nothing for my ADD."

china egg (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I hve major depression and anxiety issues and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. SSRIs make me sick and but I found that taking trileptal (which is an NSRI) completely knocked out my anxiety but didn't touch my depression or my ADHD symptoms . I was terrified of taking the stronger psychiatric medications. But then my doc added Wellbutrin. It had a fast and profound and effect on my ADHD symptoms first. My thoughts were calmer and not so all over the place and my thought felt sharper, my focused. My energy level is up too. It took a little while for it to touch the depression, that was more of a slow burn but now the lethargy and hopelessness is gone. Trileptal and Wellbutrin are non traditional meds for anxiety/depression/ADHD but this my"

Sassy. Spann May 22, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine has changed my life. Typical antidepressants (SSRI's) never worked for me, and if they did the effects wore off after a month or so. I've had mild symptoms of borderline personality disorder and moderate symptoms of ADHD, and after three months of taking it, I can't imagine being off of it. I can control my emotions, concentrate, and FINALLY FEEL JOY, for the first time in my life. My PMS symptoms are also way less intense. I did have mild anxiety in the first week and a bit of nausea for 3 weeks, but the side effects went away after a month or so. My mom tried it for her ADHD, but it didn't work for her, and it doesn't work for everyone. But if you know you have a severe dopamine deficiency (like I did), this medication is definitely worth a shot!"

Kaylee S. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've only been on it for 4 days but I refused to go back on Adderall. I require 2 30mg Adderall tablets a day and experience audio hallucinations after taking it for about 18 months. I have been off Adderall for 15 months. I told my Dr. I refuse to be back on it. I also suffer from an anxiety disorder. All of my mental health care is very well-documented from the time I was 14 years old. I am now 32 and at a place in my life where I do not want to take any stimulants to help me Focus. I do take lorazepam but I'm down to 15/ 2 milligram tablets a month from 60. I seem to have energy and increased concentration with Wellbutrin. Adderall keeps me more focused but it's not worth the side effects. I also take 1/3mg of Lunesta to sleep."

Monofletch (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started out at 150 mg xl, and just upped my dosage to 300 mg xl. This medication has worked wonders for me. It definitely helps with attention span, and impulse control, without making me feel on edge like some stimulants did. I am very productive at work, and I find it easier to stay on task. Overall happiness & motivation has increased immensely. Best medication I've been prescribed so far."

Great Medication April 4, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on 200mg bupropion (regular release, not SR/XR) total for over 5 years along with an SSRI. I have depression and ADD. The bupropion helps the focus, though it can make me feel impatient and irritable when it "peaks". I like it because it helps the depression, ADHD and restless legs and helps offset the negative effect of SSRIs on libido. It does make intrusive images/thoughts worse. I will have sudden mental images of violence (for instance, suddenly getting slammed into by another car while driving) but I'm used to my brain being a pest so I let it roll off me. Helps with motivation and planning and organization. Can cause dry mouth and slight ringing in the ears."

Mizzerella (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 10, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started wellbutrin 150 XL once a day last year. Went up to 300 XL once a day. I felt very hyper, so went back go 150. Six months later tried above again. This time feel great. Very calm. Wonder why that is?"

SandySeba February 6, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well I'm halfway through week 2 and I am absolutely loving my life right now. I lost my job in October and my wife in the same month. I was severely depressed and experienced major anxiety as well. Today (1 week and 3 days in) I'm laughing, being funny feeling awesome. I also used to abuse alcohol. I started to drink to slow the thoughts that raced in my head down. Since being on this the focus is totally apparent. The motivation is apparent, the memory is a little off, but remember I haven't reached full efficacy. That should be 4-5 weeks max. Had some trembling in my hands heart palpation a bit nothing you can't get through. Smoking and drinking have both gone down "

Jp1003 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It takes the edge off my ADD without making me feel drugged. It also takes a few days to notice it's effect when you start taking it. Also, it keeps working a few days after you stop taking it."

T. W. February 1, 2016