User Reviews for Bupropion to treat ADHD

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin, Forfivo XL Budeprion Budeprion SR

Bupropion has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 103 ratings for the treatment of ADHD. 55% of those users who reviewed Bupropion reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Bupropion Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Bupropion

All · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2021

“I was put on it for ADHD and it caused really bad mood swings and suicidal thoughts”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2021

“I was prescribed Wellbutrin for my ADHD/Depression combo about 5 months ago. I started on 150 XR and couldn't sleep for more than 2 hours a night for 2 weeks. I was irritable and exhausted. Dr switched me to 100 mg SR for about a month and a half and it didn't help with anything really. I slept more but I actually gained weight and felt like I couldn't get out of bed or do anything. Dr then started me on 200 mg SR. 2 weeks into it I started crying hysterically randomly and my depression got to the point where I didn't want to exist anymore. I pushed everyone away, I wanted to be alone.. I quit my job. I stopped being able to function and then the ideations got a lot worse. It may work for you, but if you feel worse just get off of it. It is incredibly scary to feel this way.”

Edenik · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 7, 2021

“My medical insurance is very limiting, therefore I see a ‘doctor’ (nurse prac.) that believes his way or nothing. Bupropion was all that I was offered. Being quite miserable I had to accept. Upon first week, I felt no change in me; then began to feel a bit ‘different’ in regard to my depression and anxiety, a bit calmer, more pleasant perhaps. This was supposed to be for my ADHD and help with the challenges of university. For that, there has been no change. Task wise: I’m still in a dozen places at once. With no choice in providers, I’ve reluctantly taken this for a year now. Only recently an onset of bad memories, dark thoughts, agitation, frustration. Nothing new or different in my life to bring this on, I can only blame this medicine. I’m going to wean myself off, as I’ve been warned of harsh withdrawal symptoms. Summing up, it ‘helped’ my sadness for awhile, now I’m afraid to continue use.”

Cc · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 18, 2020

“I’ve been taking Wellbutrin for half a year and it hasn’t done anything to me. Well I went to the doctor because I can’t focus at work and school. And she thought I was depressed. I’m not depressed I get depressed because I can’t focus and I’m behind and everyday is hard for me. For example my main task is to do the laundry, but then I walk pass my fish tank I feed the fish, I see that is dirty start changing the water. Then when I’m at the restroom I clean the toilet. (Not finished with the fish tank). I remembered to feed the dogs, then I go smoke and then I water the plants. I get distracted with my fishpond. Start messing with it. Then I go to my room, then I see that I didn’t even put the dirty clothes in the washing machine I don’t end up doing it. Because I get mad at myself for not putting it in. In the first place.”

HyperNP · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2014

“I tried Wellbutrin XL 300mg per day because I was worried about long term side effects of Adderall. It's been 2 months and so far so good. I'm not as focused but still pretty close. Only down fall is I can't fall asleep as well as I did with Adderall and I urinate like crazy. But I say the risks and side effects are less than with Adderall. I am happy this worked. After years of amphetamine type medicines I thought I was stuck. But this medicine is great. I hope it continues to work. Some background , I have had ADHD since childhood and now am in my thirties. I work full time as an NP, wife and mother of 3. As a medical provider I am greatly appreciative of this medicine, with less long term adverse side effects.”

Well, well well... · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 10, 2014

“I was prescribed Effexor, moved to Cipralex, then to Imipramine and then to Cymbalta - doctor thought Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I was 2 years on Cymbalta and feeling impulsive, agitated, anxious, stressed, etc. Went to Psychiatrist instead of GP, he did some tests and indicated ADHD thing going on (anxiety was a symptom). Started Wellbutrin and what a difference. Clear concise thinking, lowered anxiety, not thinking at 100 mph and wow - impulsivity is controlled completely. Psychistrist and GP were floored! Now 6 months and only getting better. Wasn't able to save marriage but whoever gets me next is going to be very happy. Seriously, the control of Adult ADHD for me was life changing. Only side effect is not so hungry (not a bad thing).”

T Roy · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2016

“If only I had this as a teenager and young adult. No telling where I might be by now. At 50, this has changed so much for me. I'm focused, I've begun organizing and cleaning my home. I'm taking care of myself more. I have a more positive attitude and less anger. There's still a long way to go, but this could change my later years for the better.”

Happygal · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 19, 2019

“After becoming severely addicted to adderall ,now wellbutrin changed my life. It is definitely not the same as adderall (you don’t feel the effects immediately) but it is certainly effective. I am happy that I am able to study, focus, and not be as scatter minded as I was before. It has definitely helped with the inattentive part of my ADHD.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2020

“I was given 150mg of Wellbutrin XL to help with ADHD symptoms primarily and also anxiety. The only side effects I noticed were headaches (but they responded well to Tylenol and really weren't very bad anyway), and a mild pounding in my ears on the first day when I would lean over. Maybe a little bit of a fuzzy feeling and pressure in my head. I attribute all of those symptoms to the fact that this drug can raise your blood pressure. Only slight dry mouth/lips. No constipation, ringing in ears, no nervousness. I could tell it was doing something within 2 hours of taking it. I was alert in a way that I haven't experienced since childhood. Getting things done was much much simpler. My appetite wasn't really affected. I experienced hunger at mostly the appropriate times but found fighting off the urges to binge on snacks was very easy. Falling asleep took maybe 15-20 minutes longer than usual. Overall I'm very happy.”

darkocean-Try this omg! · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2016

“I have bad reaction to most stimulant type medications made for ADHD. Instead of getting strung out like most people would they put me right to sleep, or cause sever twitching, and made my anxiety much much worse. Wellbutrin ROCKS! But just by it self my chest pains from stress are gone, I can remember more, stay on more tasks and get stuff done, instead of spinning around finishing nothing. (A.K.A: Hell.) I thought it wasn't doing much at first until I forgot to take it for 2-3 day.s The difference this makes! I Never knew this damn ADHD was causing me this much stress, I was aware of it as I knew I had to fight all the time with my self just to listen to someone talk and not interrupt or take off. I'm a female with severe ADHD.”

adult ADD and depression May 6, 2011

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “I have never been on medicines for ADD. My parents refused, as an adult I found life to be difficult with this disorder. After taking Wellbutrin. Feel like my true self. Like a "normal" adult. I have focus and can complete tasks. I don't feel the need to stay in bed to avoid the world. This medicine has been a blessing.”

Anonymous June 15, 2011

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I've been on Wellbutrin for over a year now and I will probably be on it for the rest of my life. I have a dry mouth occasionally, food doesn't taste as good as it used to, and it makes me sweat a little more than normal, but without this medication I would be in a fetal position, in bed and crying most of the time. I would never even consider going off of it. I've tried for just a couple of days and the old symptoms of sadness start to set in. I took Zoloft for a while and it made me gain weight and I just wanted to sleep all the time. I was a zombie. If it weren't for Wellbutrin, I would probably be a recluse. Nothing interested me and I didn't want any social interaction. Now, I can't wait to get out and be around people. GOOD!”

AmyUMD December 17, 2013

“I'm a 23 year old college student who didn't get diagnosed with ADHD until last year. I was on 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL then bumped up to 300 mg. The only way I can describe how this medicine makes me feel is even keeled. I love it. I'm not nearly as emotional, overwhelmed or distracted and my grades show it. The only complaints about this medicine is it makes me sweat and pee alot. Sometimes it makes me feel a little anxious but not all the time. Overall I'm very satisfied.”

Jelly94 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2016

“Bupropion, the generic version, makes me feel more on top of things. I do feel the medicine kick in after about an hour and I get a bit "high" if you will. It's a feeling of motivation to go do things and be productive. The first time I was on Wellbutrin (one month), it only lasted about 2 hours (at least what I could feel) and ended up not caring about anything for the rest of the day. Then recently I started Wellbutrin XL 150MG and it lasts much longer. I made the mistake of taking it at night, when I should have taken in the morning. Bad insomnia because of it, but I learned my lesson. I'd say it is the only antidepressant that has worked on both depression and ADHD by helping me concentrate, remember, stay on track, and also motivation.”

32amrak · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 10, 2017

“I am taking Wellbutrin for ADHD and mild depression. I started on 150 MG XL for 3-weeks and increased to 300 MG XL because I didn't think it was working as well as it could. Initially, I did experience side effects, including headaches and nausea. I also experienced agitation and irritability initially on the 300 MG XL. However, by the following week I felt even better than I did on the 150 MG XL and it lasts all day! It is important to find the right dose for you. Some people do better on less, some more, some on sustained release, some on extended release. I feel like I have the focus, energy, and motivation that will be life changing. Advise: tough out the side effects, they will go away and it will be worth it.”

Adhd - Over-focused · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 11, 2017

“Well, not sure if everyone follows the take on ADHD 7-types, but my girlfriend pretty much says that the traits for the "over-focused" type is me to a "T". Worrier, resistant to change, hyper-focused, impulsive, forgetful, etc. Doctor originally thought GAD - so treated with Effexor, Cipralex, Imipramine and then Cymbalta. Cymbalta made things so worse. Psychiatrist caught the ADHD and prescribed Wellbutrin. HUGE difference. I see it, friends see it...and my psych is really pleased with the change and turn-around. May not be for everyone..and give it several weeks if you try. Oh - some pluses...no impact on the libido (maybe even increased)...and a bit of appetite suppression (hey, two side-effects most could live with!)”

Charles · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2019

“Works great if you have ADHD!! It does the exact same for me that Adderall 30mg accomplishes, without the Hyperfocus/crash! Bupropion HCL is more of a mood stabilizer for me and keeps me from freaking out over different work tasks. I take 150mg's 2x daily, 1 in the morning, and in the evening after I work after 3:30pm. You can't tell when the medicine kicks in, it you just feel more balanced throughout the day.”

Confidents August 25, 2016

“I have always had such a hard time learning and was diagnosed with depression by the age of 8. After trying many antidepessants nothing worked for me besides Bupropion. Not only am I confident and happy again, I'm able to actually understand information that I am learning unstead of it going in and out as I focus. It has helped me achieve time and time again my goals. I recently graduated from college and am so impressed where I stand today. I have taken 300mg mg with another ADH medication. Once my doctor took me off of it due to unrelated problems and everything in my life fell through the.floor. My grade went from a B down to a D. My personality went from happy to bitchy. Once I started taking it again, everything is went back to normal.”

Charles · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2019

“I honestly think this works better than adderall. I tried different dosages of adderall, and it all seems to have the crash effect. This medicine starts to work quickly, and you feel well balanced, not quick to react, calm, and focused. I take it once in the morning 100mg, and second dose in the evening. No side effects. Boosts sex drive!”

Ashers83 September 13, 2010

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “I have been on Wellbutrin for about a week and have already noticed a significant difference in my study abilities. I was able to actually sit down and actively study tonight for 4 hours and I have not been able to do that for years! I took Ritalin when I was in high school, but stopped taking it when I had a complete nervous breakdown. My doctor started me on 150mg twice daily and I tell you what, I feel like me again! Bright, alert, I have energy, and completely at ease and happy. Thank you Wellbutrin for giving me myself back again.”

Seattle chica May 29, 2018

“I have pretty severe ADD. I forget what I am talking about in the middle of a sentence quite badly. After about a week on this drug I noticed a huge change in my ability to remember things and this really helped increase my productivity.”

BayAreaHappyGuy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2015

“According to my GP, bupropion (wellbutrin) takes 6 weeks to reach full effect. If you've been taking it for less time than that, wait! Give it the full 6 weeks before you reach any conclusions. As for me, this medication is a godsend! I've had zero side effects. My thoughts are clearer, not bouncing all over the place. It's a lot easier to focus on things that aren't terribly exciting. I don't get distracted as easily. For me, this is awesome stuff. I take 300mg extended release once a day, in the morning.”

Forty Plus March 28, 2008

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “I've tried concerta, zoloft, ritalin and wellbutrin for ADHD. Wellbutrin was the only medication that gave me a calm, level headed feeling that helped me control hyperactivity, impulsivity, and attention span. I'm a 40 year old ADD'r and I'm grateful it works without the jitters of ritalin.”

fast minds June 30, 2015

“I was just diagnosed at 40 with ADHD, depression and anxiety. I currently take 150mg & have noticed a Chang in moods & focus. I can complete projects, don't feel so hopeless, downcast, & helpless. I actually have a desire to live life. I am truly greatful for this medicine.”

Toto33 April 4, 2014

“I am an adult male in my 40s. I was very distracted, anxious and sexually had a driven behavior, almost addicted to it. It made me had problems with my personal relationships, fortunately sports became a scape, but still it was a concern. I was diagnosed ADHD and received Strattera for almost a year. It improved everything in my life but I always had a headache specially in the afternoon. My psychiatrist recommended Wellbutrin 150 once a day and then twice a day. It worked with me, I am not as focused as with Strattera but happier with no headaches . I take the first dose at 7.00 am and the second at 3.00 pm. If I cannot take it before that time I prefer to miss that dose, otherwise I can't sleep at night. ”

Great Medication April 4, 2016

“Started out at 150 mg xl, and just upped my dosage to 300 mg xl. This medication has worked wonders for me. It definitely helps with attention span, and impulse control, without making me feel on edge like some stimulants did. I am very productive at work, and I find it easier to stay on task. Overall happiness & motivation has increased immensely. Best medication I've been prescribed so far.”

TAYSMOM May 29, 2010

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I am self diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. I have been diagnosed by doctors for PTSD, ADHD, SEVERE depression, and bipolar disorder. I take 1 x 150mg in the morning, but work full time in sales, go to school, and just recently moved in a year ago with the father of my 6 year old. Prior to this medicine, we almost didn't make it. I was angry, jealous, compulsive, impulsive, and could have committed suicide twice in one month. THIS MEDICINE HAS SAVED MY LIFE AND POSSIBLY MY FAMILY. NOTHING ELSE WORKED-- I also take 200mg of generic Lamictal twice a day. I AM ALIVE AGAIN.”

mcbham · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2018

“I started Wellbutrin SR 150mg twice per day about a week ago. I have noticed a huge difference. I am alert, active, and in a much better mood. I can focus on everything and I am not irritable or angry when I am coming off of the medication. Truly amazing, and better than adderall in my opinion. You cannot build up a tolerance for it, unlike adderall.”