User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Depression

"This was amazing... but it gave me severe hives which was a huge bummer. I had to discontinue because of the allergy and it's actually a common problem for certain people to have. Loved it but couldn't make it last."

lee50005 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "Switched to Wellbutrin after being on zoloft for two years and it has been awful. I suffer from depression, PTSD and anxiety. Wellbutrin has made me extremely irritable and I'm constantly tired."

Ht1990 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I’m very wary of meds as I hate the idea of a band aid for something that could be fixed in other ways... however my depression got so bad I couldn’t stand myself anymore. I work in the mental health field so obviously I need to be well to help others. When nothing I tried was working and I was really beginning to lose hope, I finally gave in and tried Wellbutrin. I’ve had excellent results! Occasionally have weird dreams, but it’s nothing I can’t handle (I enjoy dreams!). My energy is back to normal, I’m able to enjoy the things I’d lost enthusiasm for! I’m hopeful again. I do want to note that I also work at doing a bit of exercise each day, eating healthy, sleeping better, and avoiding substances that harm me in any way. The meds also helped me reconnect with my spirituality! It’s truly been an amazing experience."

Better now (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have been on Wellbutrin immediate release for over 20 years. It has been a lifesaver for me. The second day I took it, I thought this is what it feels like to be normal. Yes, I had to adjust to side effects but it was worth it to me as it changed my life. Zoloft was added for side effects, and here I am 20 years later -- functioning and happy with a few exceptions. Why is the original name brand no longer available? None of the generics have worked as well. Insurance keeps changing the manufacturers I can use so its always a new experiment. Not good. Where is the original? How and why did this happen?"

Dora (taken for 10 years or more) August 6, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "This medicine saved my life. I have been on 300 mg for a few months now and I feel like me again! A couple years ago my son was diagnosed with cancer, he beat it, but the fight left me as an empty shell. I didn’t even realize how bad I was struggling just to make it through the day. When I first started Wellbutrin, I thought I had made a mistake, but my husband and I agreed that it would be best to give it a chance. After about 4-5 weeks, everything suddenly seemed better. I have energy, I’m sleeping well, I wake up early and feel rested, my libido is back, and I lost about 10lbs of the weight I put on while my son was sick. I am not just feeling better, I am genuinely enjoying my life. I’m happy, my husband is happy, and life is good. I’m so glad I stuck with it."

Justme (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Helps during depression. However, makes one irritable and somewhat irrational."

Plmulhol (taken for 10 years or more) July 25, 2018

"Great drug. SSRIs nor SNRIs work as well as Bupropion for me. Feels almost like some sort of amphetamine when you first take it. It works very well in the short term. It's effects begin immediately, unlike other common antidepressants. I feel very happy on this drug. No drowsiness. There is an anorectic (appetite reducing) effect with this drug. This drug also helped me quit all nicotine usage. In fact, I never felt any nicotine withdrawal, and I previously was consuming about 16 mg of nicotine daily (in the form of gum/lozenges) for months. It did not increase my levels of anxiety. I experienced minor side effects: slight rise in blood pressure (uncommon side effect), faint headache that went away after a few days (very common), hair loss (uncommon side effect, possibly from aging and not the drug, however when I quit the drug my hair did come back). Just watch out for it; it's an uncommon side effect. This is a great drug for people that use coffee, nicotine, and other stimulants to treat their depression."

bash-terminal July 24, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I went on this medication for some low motivation. Within a few days, I had more energy and felt like I had a lot more motivation. It took me a VERY long time to adjust. Honestly, I was on it for 3 months and I'm not sure I ever did adjust. I got the shakes, twitched a lot (while awake and in my sleep), and constantly felt full of nervous energy. I had trouble sleeping, and couldn't reach orgasm (I'm a woman). I know this drug is used to treat sexual side effects of SSRI's, but that's what it did to me. It actually made me more depressed to be on this medication. I also got awful brain fog where I'd forget what I was saying in the middle of a conversation. I felt like an idiot! Everyone is different, and I know people who have benefitted from Wellbutrin. This is just my experience. I went off of it and already feel much better."

Me1111 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have had depression for as long as I can remember. My depression tends to be more physical: tired, trouble staying asleep, physically exhausted, and no interest in doing anything physical (e.g., I was an avid runner and weight lifter before). Wellbutrin XL 150mg has completely helped me in every way possible. I’ve been taking it for over a 2 yrs and I have more energy than ever. Although I still have depressive and anxiety cognitive patterns, Wellbutrin can has helped me with my depression and increased my quality of like significantly."

GermanS (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 16, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I was first put on Lexapro, but I gained 10 pounds in 4 weeks and generally felt like a robot. My doctor then switched me to 150mg Wellbutrin XL. I took Wellbutrin XL for 5 days before stopping cold turkey. While on the medication, I felt wired like I needed to be moving at all times, almost restless. That wasn’t the most worriesome symptom though. I soon began to have chest pains, a very rapid heart beat, and my heart would actually skip beats which felt like someone squeezing my heart in my chest. After telling my doctor this, he said to stop immediately. I am now on day 3 of no medication and my chest is still hurting like someone is sitting on it, my heart isn’t as rapid, but is still skipping beats. I am incredibly dizzy to the point of being afraid to drive. I’m sure this medication works for some, but it has literally wrecked me and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone."

Sterling85 (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been on 300mg doses of a Bupropion (Wellbutrin) off and on for a few years now mostly because I'm undisciplined and would get out of the habit of taking them. What I have noticed is that initially when starting to take the meds, the first week or two I feel GREAT; energized, focused, motivated, happy. After a few weeks and meds have fully built up in my system (Wellbutrin is a slow build medication, so don't expect full effect until about 2 weeks in), I start to feel tired, unmotivated, hard to focus and remember complex skill sets I am not actively using, pushes my sex drive to a negative, almost addictive state. I too have very vivid and extensive dreams during the first week and then it tappers away, no weight change and general sex drive is unaffected until a few weeks in when it seems to get compulsive, but I think that's another issue with me in general that it happens to prey upon."

HazyHead July 6, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I just recently discontinued Wellbutrin after being on it for 8 years after suffering with worsening insomnia that was causing worsening health. It was also contributing to my worsening anxiety. Now that I am no longer on it, I am sleeping much easier and deeper and my anxiety has lessened. I am now on Effexor XR 150mg and Seroquel 50mg with Ativan 0.5mg as needed. I just received a diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder which, for years, was thought to be adult ADD. I've been told by my psychiatrist that Wellbutrin is too activating for some, especially those with mood swings like me."

MissLeopard83 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2018

"This was prescribed by a "Hospitalist" without my knowledge, was never "consulted", never had a discussion with any medical person. After reading the write-ups here, don't believe taking it is justified in my case. Considering various conditions and other medications being taken, it is contraindicated. I had just gotten out of the hospital after having a brain tumor taken out, and I have another brain tumor. Those are just one of the contraindications. If it made any difference in "mood" (This is described by a nurse as a "mood-altering drug"),I was unable to detect it at the 75 MG once a day dosage. Since no one talked to me, or gave me a write up, I have no idea if there was any intention to raise the dosage. I listed "depression", but it could have been any of a number of other reasons. I have never smoked, so it isn't for "smoking" in my case. I'm stopping taking it."

SouthAK (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2018

Aplenzin (bupropion): "I survived for 20 years on many medications. Wellbutrin was hideous. On it, I couldn't sit up, walk, think...like I was dying of terminal flu. Effexor helped, but not much. Soon I gave up; my wife suggested magnet therapy. (Insurance said we had to prove that medicine didn't work for 2 years.) Time's up, but I finally got an Aplenzin sample. I knew of no similarity between Aplenzin and Wellbutrin. Hours after taking a pill (522) my face lightened as if a dark veil had been lifted, my spirits soared, I had focus and motivation to accomplish tasks, and I wasn't raging as much. I haven't felt this way for 20 years...no, forever! No comparison...I have no idea about its efficacy long-term, but I rated Aplenzin 9, because of side effects (which I gladly embrace). Our chemistries are all different; different drugs effect everyone in a personal way. All I can say is...I finally found the medicine I've needed for 66 years!"

Chuck June 24, 2018

"I have BPD I suffer trauma from my childhood. Anyways I was looking desperately for a med to be a type of mood stabilizer. This medication did not work for me one bit. I went on it for two weeks and I BROKE OUT in cystic acne and got geographic tongue. These things are not serious but it was enough for me to quit. I also had my first gout attack. All after wellbutrin 150 XL. I know these may contribute from other factors but I live a healthy and active lifestyle otherwise I am female and only 27. Going back on trintillex if anyone is looking for a medication that doesn't interfere with your sex drive trintillex is it. Expensive but well worth it. I am currently on the 5 and will be increasing to the 10. I am not worried as those who reported decrease in sex drive were nearly the same as placebo in studies. Wellbutrin is not worth it it is complete garbage. It made me very angry and hostile, got nothing done during the day and wonder why. I was an angry psychopath on wellbutrin. Never again"

Janelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "After being on several medications and therapy for over a year and experiencing numerous suicidal thoughts, I had given up on life. I read reviews on here of people saying “be patient and your life will change.” My life never changed and I was stuck in the same lifeless routine everyday. I now take 187.5mg of Effexor XR with 150 Wellbutrin XR, and trust me it took months for things to improve but everything changed. Suddenly life didn’t seem so awful. I began making goals for myself, and I wanted to get up and be active instead of sleeping my depression away. I do get slightly depressed here and there but nothing so bad that I would want to end my life. Please don’t give up hope... reach out to someone you love and trust, they will help you get through this difficult time. And be patient even if it takes two years. It took me almost two years of suffering to get to where I am now. There is light at the end of the tunnel :) feel free to ask any questions you might have."

Inspiration789 June 22, 2018

"I've been taking celexa 40mg for about 6-7 years now and it's worked for me. Depression came back when I found out my partner was cheating for last two - three years. It was awful. Doctor gave me buproprion 150mg. Its been nearly 2 months on this medication and I'm starting to feel not so depressed. Mind you I'm also a regular meth user for almost a year everyday. I'm planning to get off it and see a pysch. I want my life back. Thanks for reading.take care"

Summer S (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

"Suffering from opioid use disorder (taking Suboxone) and as a consequence severe fatigue and sadness, so my psychiatrist put me on this. The drug helped me a lot to get my life back together as it gives me the extra energy and focus I lost with addiction. I could even cut down my Suboxone dose and feeling as a human, not like my older attempts when I felt more than bad. So it definitively works for me."

Tim (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 11, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I’m female, 62 and have been on 150mg/day for over two years; I quit smoking after 40 years and quit taking this - that was a mistake!! I’ve always had some depression but didn’t take anything for it (except that I tried sertaline for a few months though.) Anyway once I got off of it I started smoking again for a month, then threw them down and got back on the Wellbutrin; that was 16 months ago. The only side effects I’ve noticed is that my cholesterol levels are going up but I am trying to control that by my diet. I don’t like taking pills but this one is the only one I take besides vitamins. It helped me quit smoking, (when Chantix made me nauseous) so two thumbs up!!"

Still Not Smoking (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 31, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was suffering from adjustment disorder mixed anxiety and depression. I’ve dealt with anxiety before— but a life transition triggered a massive downward spiral filled with panic, sleeplessness (yet still too much sleep), decreased focus, extreme apathy, no motivation, suicidal thoughts, unrealistic fears, etc. PCP suggested Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, I desperately agreed. I felt like medication was my last hope. Within 2 weeks, I felt like I was able to function (improved motivation). Within a month, my anxiety and other symptoms were under control. I experienced side effects for the first week— headache, some impulsivity. And for the first month, my sleep schedule was disturbed (I tried moving the time I took Wellbutrin... sometimes it helped, but the side effect was gone by month 2 anyway). Wellbutrin saved my life. I’ve been on Wellbutrin for 4 months now. It doesn’t fix everything of course, but it really helps me combined with healthy coping and CBT."

Kate May 26, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I was on Prozac 20 mg and because it made me feel so good, I would just stop taking them on my own accord which made me crash. I decided instead of taking them seriously and continue taking them, I would try Wellbutrin. The first two weeks were awful. I had ringing in my ears to the point where I wish I was deaf, My body was incredibly sore for no physical reason, I felt huge pressure and anxiety in my chest, I stopped working out, and didn't want to do anything but lay in bed and watch Netflix which is so not me. I am now 3-4 weeks in and I don't have much anxiety BUT I feel like I developed OCD, I can't stop cutting the tip of my tongue on my teeth and it hurts. My mouth is so dry, I can't even put on eyeliner because it's like I have Parkinsons disease. I am going to switch back to prozac today."

KADEZKO May 23, 2018

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I started on 150 mg Sr for one week then went up to 300mg. At first I felt speedy which I loved , lots of energy I could clean for hours lol,and really weird in public like everyone was staring at me . After a month I'd say it settled a bit , my depression has gone totally. I was so negative before, I complained so much and started to cry in secret. It stopped completely and it works fast - I'd say immediately. Best thing for me was my life long issues with food, over eating and sugar binges just vanished. I couldn't believe It. I lost 5 kilos quickly, my appetite came back but still I don't binge on sugar. I have to watch what I eat but thank goodness I don't have the obsession with food anymore . Also stopped smoking after a few days and now I can't believe I ever smoked yuck . Over all it's a miracle drug that is life changing . I live in Egypt and its dirt cheap for 30 less then 5 dollars as its produced locally by Glaxo Smith Kline, Egypt ."

Chloelynne (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have been on this for about a month now. I'm taking it for depression and to quit smoking. I feel totally amazing, it's like a dark cloud was lifted off me. I'm also on a maintenance medication for using opioids. The maintenance medicine completely killed my sex drive. It almost ruined my marriage. Now adding this to my meds has reversed all side effects from the maintenance meds. It took a while to start making it better, but now I'm back to the sexy living woman I used to be. Not to mention how great I feel again. I'm me all the way around again. Thank you!!!!"

Chrystal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I have tried different anti depressants the past 9 years. Celexa and recently lexapro, which was my favorite but has started to fail me after 8 years. My doctor added Bupropion XL 150 to the lexapro and I took it in the morning. The first few days I felt very, very tired. The next 3 days were a 180. I couldn’t sit still, I was shaky, did not sleep 3 days in a row and felt like I was on speed. I discontinued use because I was too unstable due to side effects to work. It may have eventually worked but I couldn’t handle it."

Lowlow (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

"I just start taking it. I haven't had any major side effects as of yet. My mouth is sort of dry but not too bad. I have to use the washroom a lot. It seem to keep me calm and a little more focus. Hopefully, it works in a positive way for me."

Joseph (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018