User Reviews for Bupropion to treat Depression

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin, Budeprion Forfivo XL Budeprion SR

Bupropion has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 1091 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 60% of those users who reviewed Bupropion reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

27% 294
4% 45
11% 119

Reviews for Bupropion

PandaX February 18, 2021

“I’ve had symptoms of depression since childhood that slowly increased in intensity as I approached adulthood. In 2015, I started experiencing full-on, continual body pain. I believe the pains were a psychosomatic expression of my unchecked depression. Suicidal thoughts, feelings of defeat, guilt, shame, self-hatred, and chronic anxiety were everyday experiences for me. I felt so bad about myself, I couldn’t make eye contact with the cashier at the grocery store without feeling shame, fear, and terror. I started taking 300 mg (SR) Wellbutrin two months ago (150 mg/morning, 150 mg/late afternoon). The first three weeks were tough as my body adjusted to the medication. My head is radically clearer and my self esteem has greatly improved. I’ve picked up new hobbies and have a renewed interest in socializing. Body pain is totally gone. Feelings of shame and failure have been replaced with self-worth.”

Personal experience February 18, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I have mostly managed my depression/SADD/PTSD for years with exercise, light box, and talk therapy. My doctor and I recently agreed the lowest dose, 100 mg, of Wellbutrin would help me out of a particularly low winter. I tried 150 mg years ago for a few months. The jittery side-effects made me look forward to getting off it then. However, now I have no side effects, sleep great, my focus on work is back, and find it is easier to do my usual lifestyle routine to address my depression. I appreciate having Wellbutrin as a tool to use when I really need it. One caveat, I do find that if I have more than 2 drinks, the following days I get pretty down.. Also, exercise+Wellbutrin = self esteem×libido, just sayin.”

NH February 17, 2021

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I’ve been on Wellbutrin XL for about 5 months. I started at 150 mg SR. The first few days I noticed a big increase in anxiety but only twice it was intense enough that I couldn’t function. After a few weeks and a follow up with my GP, we switched to 150 XL and it helped as it’s a slower release. The positive side effects definitely outnumbered the negative. I almost immediately felt more energy and couldn’t stay in bed all day if I’d wanted to (this had been an issue for me), I had more motivation and a bit more focus. I’d been on Cipralex for years previously and found it took the edge off my irritability and managing mood swings but wasn’t a significant change. My GP and I were drawn to the weight loss side effect as I’ve put on 60 pounds over 8 years and two pregnancies. I did not see any difference in weight even with an increase in energy. All in all I like Wellbutrin and it has more pros than cons.”

Jaydog · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2021

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I have been taking Wellbutrin 300XL for about 5 days. I never really felt like it made a huge difference for me. It didn’t really affect my depression because my depression stems more from my anxiety. I still decide to take it cause maybe it just works well enough idk. Well for the last four days I have had extreme itching from my ankles to my scalp. Then they would turn into hives. Not only that but all my joints have become inflamed and I have to bumps on my heels which makes it really hard to walk. It has been the worst four days of my life. I’ve tried every type of itch cream and home remedies with little to no success. It started the night I had a 2 beers. Idk if it is that or if it’s just from medication. Regardless, going to doctor tomorrow in hopes of getting steroids to help my body.”

Fruitpunch · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Love this medication for my Anxiety/ADHD/Depression! I take 75mg a day and it has helped me focus and push through the 3pm slump. I sleep well and feel much calmer. It’s helped with my depression as well. I had nausea the first few weeks and it made me very sleepy but those wore off. No other side effects to note. Haven’t lost any weight or notice a change in appetite like most say. It did stop my IBS-D. Wish I had tried it sooner!”

CountyGirl · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “I started taking Wellbutrin SR 150 mg twice a day for my depression and to quit smoking, everything was getting better, I had a great night sleep by day 2 felt a little lighter with my mood, then on day 4 I felt wrong, and by my nighttime dose I ended up giving a seizure, which I have no history of, and again no sleep and tremors and horrible sweating, I was really hoping this was going to help me but I have never been so scared in my life as I was when I lost control of all my muscles and it took 2 days to start to feel better from it. My muscles hurt, extreme anxiety and insomnia.. be very careful with this drug!”

Luna · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

“I've been taking this medication for 2 days. I wake up with sore throat and thirsty. Also my vision was kinda blurry for no reason. I get agitated fast, or anxious. My words get slurred at times feeling like I'm going to pass out. A lil shaky. When I'm in a room I feel claustrophobic and anxious so I have to go outside and get fresh air. They say it gets better after 2-3 weeks, so I'm just waiting for that. My head hurts when I wake up. I take it at night because I have a very active job where I work 12-15 hours a day, I'm in the military so I need all my focus. Insomnia is a very common thing. I sweat A LOT, more than I usually did. My shirts be soaked in sweat. Its crazy lol”

gmr · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I've been taking 150mg Wellbutrin for almost 5 months and I love it. I have persistent depressive disorder and I feel that this has helped me get out of bed and feel more motivated to socialize, workout, and do work. I do feel that it worked best the first 2-3 months I took it, and will likely be increasing my dosage soon.”

MJ February 6, 2021

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I was diagnosed with Bipolar II and C-PTSD in 2015. I tried a handful of different medications, but I was also dependent on alcohol. I stopped drinking August 2020 and soon after went med-free (supervised) to see where I was at. What appeared to come about was depression mostly. When I started 150mg buproprion HCL XL, within 48 hrs I felt more energy, more activated emotions, less fog. It caused me to be more agitated and angry at first, but I knew it was because I was coming from complete numbness to actually having some feelings. I am now a month in and I feel happy about where I am with my mood. I say definitely give it a chance, especially if you are not a fan of SSRIs. Give it a few weeks and log your feelings. Being on this is far better than where I was in my depression. I wanted to share my experience and feelings because it has given me some hope and I want to share that with others.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 6, 2021

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I've tried almost every other selective reuptake Inhibitor and a few different tricyclic antidepressants for moderate depression and severe anxiety. This Wellbutrin XL is the first one that hasn't increased my anxiety and has actually helped. Currently on 450mg extended release.”

Shy Cab February 5, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I started taking 100mg of Wellbutrin 2 months ago. I was prescribed it for ADHD but I also suffer from severe depression. The first four days of this drug were absolutely awful, I cried and felt an extreme hopelessness. After the second week the sadness was fading but I felt numb, the only positive thing is that it has decreased my irritability HEAVILY like I used to snap at so many small things and now I am unbothered but this has been replaced with sensitivity and getting emotional/crying easily. Also has helped with my sex drive. It hasn’t helped for my ADHD, I also no longer have an appetite. Two days ago I was bumped up to 300mg a day and the first day taking it I went back into the same despair I felt, but the suicidal thoughts were worse this time but luckily my boyfriend was there. I’m not sure if this is worth taking in the long run but I’d rather be more emotional then have the irritability come back. Wishing everyone suffering from depression lots of love:)”

Yamz · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 2, 2021

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “This medication is awesome! I am Bipolar 1 and it works nicely with the Lamictal that I also take. The dose is not too high though because my doctor said I have to be careful with any type of antidepressant that I take so it doesn’t cause me to get too “high”! I found a nice balance! I did not get any side effects with this medication. It is nice to feel/ have regular emotions now.....”

E January 31, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I took generic Bupropion 150 XL from Dr Reddy Pharmaceutical for 10 days. My doctor said their were no serious side effects. I might have dry mouth, she said, but it'll help with your loss of energy. The first two days, I certainly had dry mouth (and increased urination), maybe a little more energy, but on day 3 I started experiencing flu like symptoms, awful body aches, diarrhea, vomiting, profuse sweating. I felt terrible! To make matters worse, my normally low heart rate (around 50 beats per minute) skyrocketed to 130-140. I felt delirious and I immediately went off of it. I almost went to the ER but I decided to stay home and monitor my own symptoms as I'm in Healthcare myself. Currently, day two off of it, but I am still experiencing flu-like symptoms and now eye pain with dizziness. Thankfully, my heart rate is slowly going down. My biggest concern is with people who have high blood pressure. Do not go on this medication. Try a different one. These side-effects are not worth it.”

NoNick · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2021

“I was on bupropion for a month and quit today because of the meltdowns I've been having. I'm normally reserved and meek but became enraged and emotional while taking bupropion. For example, I was telling off family and cussing out other drivers without caring about possible consequences. I figured out this stuff was stirring up pent-up anger from years of interpersonal trauma, which I was then projecting onto others. Other side effects: craving salty snacks, gaining weight, unwanted libido boost causing frustration, microbursts of energy and non-stop talking followed by fatigue, apathy and inertia, wanting to RIP more so than usual. Obviously not the right medication for me.”

D. Stew · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Since, when it comes to this type of medication it works like a dream for one and a disaster for another, I rarely read these reviews. I have never left one either. But my experience with this one was not good. Hopefully for those who experienced sickness, hard depression, whacked anxiety, dizziness, sick head aches, sleeplessness, zero appetite, head pressure, and pure insomnia, maybe this review will give you hope as you are not alone. I was going to try to get through it, but no way. Garbage. After 1 week I bailed out. Purely awful for me.”

SDguy99 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2021

“42 y.o. male here. Started on bupropion 150 mg/day a month ago for depression. I also have ADHD, so this seemed like a win-win. After one week I titrated up to 300 mg/day and have been on that since. The first few weeks were great. My focus was better, and my mood was noticeably improved. However, over the past week I've noticed increasing difficulty reaching climax during sex. I still get an erection, but it seems like the sensation never builds enough to achieve an orgasm, which has left me frustrated. Talked with my doctor today and am going to go back to 150 mg/day to see if that helps. Also noticed lighter sleep over the past several nights and some increased anxiety today (though that could be related to my concern over sexual side effects).”

Jr January 27, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “I was clinically diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and a adjustment disorder in the middle of last year. Now the I started school again at 37 the stress of everything and finding out that I may possibly have ADD or ADHD makes every so much better. I was initially put on Wellbutrin 150mg a day along side my 15 mgs of Lexapro. My Wellbutrin was bumped up to 300mgs to help me quit dipping. For a while things were finally going well. I didn’t touch a can of dip for about two months. Then the realization of everything kicked in. Between working full time, going to school for biomedical equipment technology full time, and a girlfriend who drives me crazy sometimes, my anxiety, stress and everything else has gone through the roof. I am now on 450mgs of Wellbutrin and still along side my 15 mgs of Lexapro. Hopefully this helps.”

Nicky Stervais January 25, 2021

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): “I don't find this an antidepressant rather than a demeanor stimulant/energy enhancer. Goes well with SSRI's, SNRI's and many others as add-on. Personally on 150mg daily I found myself more energetic, needing less sleep, more able to focus for seriously long days, more outspoken and also more irritable. Some restlessness or a stupor-kind of feeling for a couple hours in the afternoon. All of this subsided as the months passed. 1-2 years lead to some kind of tolerance. 300mg doses seemed to give me some more focus but also made feel a bit off. Enhances the focus a little more, and likely possible overt wakefulness, irritability or confusion would subside over time. I still couldn't estimate needing such a dose myself. Initially, a combination of Sertraline and made me hypermanic for a month or two: showed up at parties drinking and talking to everyone, making new acquaintances, life choices ultimately leading to major changes etc. My psychiatrist didn't think it was a problem, though.”

Sunny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2021

“I have GAD and depression. I'm on Lexapro for the anxiety but the depression was still an issue. Quarantine in the spring of 2020 did not help my depression and I gained a bunch of weight from my gym being closed. My doctor suggested Wellbutrin XL and I'm so happy she did. My depression leveled out after upping my dose from 150-300mg per day and she told me about the nice weight-loss side effect. I've lost all my quarantine weight (30#) and hoping for more as I'm considered obese. I'm very happy with my decision to take this medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 23, 2021

Wellbutrin (bupropion): “Can only be recommended against depression.”

Pickone · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2021

“Was prescribed bupropion 8 weeks ago. Although I didn't consider myself depressed, my doctor informed me that my lack of energy, motivation and not enjoying activities that I normally do is a sign of depression. I've had these symptoms for years but worse in the past 3 years. Eight weeks on 300 mg but no change at all.”

Cloudstar · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2021

“Have severe depression/anxiety. Been on bupropion for 3 months. I feel like I’m waking up from a nightmare. First couple weeks gave me such bad insomnia I almost stopped it but now I have no side effects. My anxiety hasn’t improved. My motivation, ability to get up, ability for someone to mention the future and not panic/plan for death, self harm, thoughts have all improved. I’m still little depressed, struggle seeing hope in the future, and have some suicidal thoughts but this medication has changed my life and honestly saved it. I went from thinking about suicide everyday for years and trying it, to it being a thought now in the back of my mind that I don’t need to worry about right now. I can feel joy. I can laugh - actually laugh - and be there. I feel like myself. Really feels like waking up from a nightmare. I never thought a medication could do this. It took 4 tries but it has brought me joy. I’m me. Don’t give up. Praying for all of you.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2021

“Been taking 150mg Wellbutrin XL for 2.5 months. Little to no improvement for my depression and anxiety. My Energy has improved, I can get out of bed and do my morning tasks but can never stop feeling sad and hopeless all day, and getting random spikes of anxiety over everything. I still have reoccurring suicidal thoughts, so I’d say no emotional improvement so far.”

cass · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 7, 2021

“I was prescribed the generic Wellbutrin about two months ago for my depression & up until about a week ago it was working fine. Little side effects like minor headaches or less of an appetite showed but it wasn’t anything drastic. About a week ago I started feeling weird, not myself. I started having racing negative thoughts, bad anxiety, I felt like I needed to cry for no reason. My doctor prescribed me an anxiety pill to pair with it (Buspirone/ 5mg twice a day) & I've only been on it a few days. But if I don’t start to feel balanced in the next week or so, I’m getting off of it, bc it’s getting unbearable with how nervous & scared it makes me feel.”

Cancer Survivor Depression January 7, 2021

“I was diagnosed with recurrent depression 3 years after my last treatment of chemotherapy. Never did I expect the journey after cancer to still be a difficult road. I would feel better and then months later fall back into a dark hole and feeling like I can never find my way back up. I continued seeing my therapist and we decided to stop trying to resist the medication and it’s there for a reason and it’s okay to need a little help. I continue to fight everyday. It took 10 weeks for the medicine to work for me, which seems crazy and I don’t know why it took so long! I stuck with it because I was so desperate to feel emotions again and find joy instead of just doom and sleeping in my bed all day. I did lose weight on this medication but that’s also because I stopped drinking wine and I stick with a low carb high protein and vegetable diet. I take generic 300 bupropion XL. The plan is to slowly come off and replace with mediation and yoga.”