User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Depression

"I'm really alert and active if not a bit too jittery with 150mg a day, I was wondering if 75mg would be better. The fact is that I do a chest pain."

PeterBelelius (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2018

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "Took me 2 tries to get on it, first time I tried it, it sent me into a anxiety attack for the 3 days and had to stop. I think this was my own nerves though. Waited a couple months, then tried again. This time it went much better, the first 4 days had a lot of head fogginess & jitters, but otherwise not too bad. After that, suddenly I felt much better! My mood improved a bit, I had much more energy (I wasn't getting that mid-day crash anymore), and I was getting less headaches. But the cons of it were constipation, mild moodiness, and anxiety in the evening and towards going to sleep for some reason . Not a terrible experience, but ended up being a bit too much for me to handle as a full time student."

byn January 16, 2018

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I've been taking this medication off and on for quite a few years and I have mixed feelings about it. If you want lots of energy this is the stuff to take. If you have OCD or an anxiety disorder you might want to pair this with some Effexor or Zoloft. I'm still in the process of figuring out a dose that works good for me. I'm on 450mg xl and 75mg Effexor xl. If you want to drink alcohol keep it to a minimum preferably no more than 3 beers I personally find that it reduces my desire to drink and I'm also going to ask doctor about taking Contrave which is 300 mg Wellbutrin and 12.5 mg Naltrexone for weight loss (Thanks Effexor)"

mihulka3 January 15, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I recently started 150 mg of Wellbutran for depression after a successful treatment using nardill (MAOI). Nardill was working for a year or so then nothing. After being off of nardill my doctor who I know for over 30 years asked if want to try Wellbutran again and I agreed. I am on my first day. I also take dextroamphetamine for adhd I hope to get good effect from the Wellbutran."

Rallysport13 January 13, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "This meds really change my life. I've always suffer from a mild depression associated with high anxiety. For years I had been on ADHD Medicine (Ritalin, Vyvanse, Adderall, Concerta, Dexetrine) I have tried them all. When I started wellbutrin, 2 months ago I really felt my anxiety drop in a matter of weeks. I did not need to take my ADHD treatment since wellbutrin help me staying focus. I would definitely recommend for people my mild depression and trouble focusing."

MaxUSA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2018

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I started taking 100mg XL in October for my depression. For the first 3 weeks I kind have just felt the same. Then I was moved up to 200mg SR and that’s when I started noticing a change about 4 weeks in. It reduced a lot of my depression along with my 10/10 anxiety. After 3 weeks, I started 300 mg SR and I definitely noticed a change. I had a lot more energy, starting doing things I once enjoyed, and did better in my college classes. With weight loss, I lost 16 pounds after the first 2 weeks of taking the 300mg SR. Overall, wellbutrin has worked so well for me and has helped reduced my depression and anxiety. 10/10"

Kayyyyyyyy January 8, 2018

"After 12 years on Celexa and 2 years on Trazadone, my anxiety and depression began creeping back into my life more intensely. My doctor suggested Wellbutrin to add to my meds 5 months ago. And I am so grateful. I am able to function much better, actually getting out of bed and following the self care that I need in order to be a more content, active engaged me!"

K2 January 7, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "If you suffer from anxiety, racing uncontrollable thoughts, high anxious states and basically need a med to calm you down and get your thoughts under control, I would really talk to my doctor before starting this med. It is very clear that this is a energy producing medication, so for those of us with anxiety - that can be really bad. A common listed side-effect is "Anxiety" & "Anxiousness". Everyone is different, and will have different results to some extent. This is primarily a med for depression - NOT anxiety. So again, be clear to your doctor if you have anxiety with your depression that other choices may be better."

InAndOut (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2018

"I've been on this medicine for 2 weeks now and I feel like rubbish. I’m so mad at everyone and even if someone said something that I find to sound cocky I get raging mad. I’m never mad. I’m always the sad girl who laughs and is super sensitive and now because of this medicine I’m just mad all of the time. And my anxiety is so bad it’s feels more psychically painful than before. Also I’ve been having insomnia, I seriously just can’t shut off my thoughts."

sadgirl123345603883 December 27, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I've been taking Celexa , gabapentin and Wellbutrin for the last 2 years. Diagnosed with type 2 bipolar, ADD and dyselexia . I've tried different drugs over the years and the above combination worked fairly well. Then 2 weeks ago I ran out of Wellbutin and lopressor. So between the 2 it was hard to get a reading on my mental health. Restarted Wellbutrin after 10 days without still waiting on lopressor. The thing I've noticed is a complete lack of interest in anything. Which I'm guessing is what causes some people to feel suicidal. Not feeling that way now, however I know the feeling."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 25, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I have been on multiple SSRIS, SNRIS, even Buspar & ativan. Wellbutrin is AMAZING for depression & lack of concentration. Takes a bit of time to notice effects, but hang in there it’s worth it! I have so much energy due to Wellbutrin SR. No complaints unlike many of the other antidepressants I have been prescribed. Highly recommend Wellbutrin to anyone who has had no luck with others antidepressants."

Annie_92x December 22, 2017

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I like this medication but sometimes I feel angrier than I should be. I’m very quick to snap sooooo IDK if it’s this medicine or what"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2017

"This drug has changed my life. It has helped me with depression. I now have more energy and desire to do the things I enjoy. The only side effects I had experienced was in the first couple of weeks I had some mild manic episodes. Definitely less side effects than other compatible medications. I now have been taking it for about 6 months and have incorporated it with exercise and a better diet and I feel like a new person."

Wellbutrinisthebest December 19, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I just got a script for WellbutrinXL150mg. I'm a 31 yr old wife & mother of 4, always worked. I was in and out of the hospital since 2007 with widespread pain in my back and neck and head. Severe migraines everyday. I was pushed aside saying I'm fine. Kept going back. Finally 2016 diagnosed with fibromyalgia severe depression and anxiety. I was nursing then and pushing a med cart around, helping patients and so on, my body just had no more strength to hold itself up or think. I was and am in so much pain all the time, I'm mentally emotionally and physically DONE. Can't even get up out of bed. Cymbalta Lyrica Tylenol 3&4's Demerol, been morphine 50mg 4 times day and Clonazepam 60mg three times a day. Now taking away Clonazepam for XL 150. I'm afraid of the side effects"

TanyaD86 (taken for less than 1 month) December 18, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "It's helping to regulate my appetite, i.e decrease it which was increased severely from Seroquel and Zoloft.I have SO much energy and better able to cope with anxiety and down moods. I am currently still up a 4:35am doing work and smiling, took one around 11 pm after a very stressful home situation"

quillla (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2017

"I’ve been prescribed Wellbutrin off and on for years. I find it very effective for boosting my mood for a short time, nothing extreme but it has always pulled me out of a funk within days. The downside is eventually feeling agitated, and having to discontinue due to anxiety, panic and insomnia within a month or two. Still, it’s not a bad short-term med for me. I just have to remain aware of the effects, and taper off when it gets too intense."

MajorMojo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "This drug does work, I have never been on anything else. My mood swings are gone, as well as curb my sadness. Lost weight, a good thing, lost half my hair, no kidding, a bad thing. Now I'm torn between thin hair and happy, or hair back and depressed."

Jets4me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2017

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I am a 21 year old female. I have struggled with depression, anxiety, addiction (food, substances). These issues came to fruition when I went into my first year of college. I left HS as an honor student & went into college failing classes and unable stay on track. I had lots of self pity, mood swings, and slept all the time. I took sertraline for years, but it didn't give me that motivation I needed. It reduced my anxiety but really didn't help the depression. I started Bupropion XL and things have changed immensely. I'm doing well in nursing school, and I feel much steadier. I have my bad days, but they aren't controlling my life anymore. I do get anxious, but the pros outweigh the cons for me. I also can't drink much (which a good thing)"

Jaden Marie December 14, 2017

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I just started taking a very small dose of Wellbutrin and will be gradually increasing. It is being prescribed for major depression and anxiety. For the past 2 years when I wake up in the morning it's usually quickly followed by a terrible anxiety that usually goes away but can take a few hours to do so. Anyone else experience this morning anxiety?"

Astig2410 (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2017

"I began a 150 mg dosage once a day of Bupropion 4 months ago. First week was a bit rough with the side effects but nothing I couldn't push through. Day 3, felt a little dizzy and nauseous, no energy but only lasted 1 day. Rest of the first week I experienced insomnia, couldn't shut off my brain at night and increased ringing in my ears. Only remaining side effects after 4 months are ringing in my ears and very slight insomnia which I take an OTC sleep aid for. The benefits far outweigh the side effects for me but everyone's chemistry is different. Positive side effects are weight loss, less irritated, positive outlook and easier to manage my sadness."

ibekristi (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I was prescribed Wellbutrin XL for depression and panic attacks. Although I was about 30 pounds overweight I had no intention of trying to loose weight while being depressed. My doctor told me, just for me to know that this drug could aid in weight loss for some people. After being on the drug for a few days I noticed that I didn’t have the food cravings I always and I missed a few meals because I just forgot to eat! I decided to give weight loss a try and I am happy .....no overjoyed , to say that in 6 months I lost 40 ! I am not trying to loose anymore, just maintain my loss and so far I am having no problems. FYI I am 64 years old and have not weighed this little for 30 years!"

Coton de Tulear lover (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2017

"My last review was June 2016, I was on 150mg xl brand name wellbutrin. Fast forward to today I'm currently on 300mg BRAND NAME as I found the generic wasn't as effective. It took a while for my doctor to up it to 300mg but I'm glad I stuck with it and convinced him to do it. On 150mg it started off great, during the almost year at 150mg I felt better but had some memory loss and at times hard to find words I wanted to use in sentences. Eventually it seemed like I was heading back into depression which I was so I demanded to try the 300mg dose. Night and day, memory is back not 100% but damn close, confidence is back, energy is great, like someone said in a previous post its not a happy pill but man its great try and stick with it if you can"

Macphisto (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 8, 2017

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "So I've been on it for about a month and a half. I've had severe depression for a long time now. I was in a relationship I just couldn't step away from. After this medication I realized that I am better than that. I found the source of all my depression. I am going to leave him and start my life without him. I deserve better. Also, I am really different, it seems to help with my anger issues as well. Things that used to just piss me off, no longer bother me anymore. It's really nice to enjoy things other than my bedroom."

Happygirl93 December 8, 2017

"I started taking this again yesterday, but have tried this in the past with positive results. I have been feeling extremely depressed the past year, and it's time for a change. My depression is so bad, I had to reject my nursing seat for this upcoming spring because I can hardly get out of bed or feel anything anymore. I'm 23, and I've been suffering with depression for close to 11 years. I'm hoping this will at least give me the ability to get out of this dark hole and pursue my goals in life. I sympathize with all who suffer with this horrible disorder, because it truly is setting me back from being successful. To anyone reading this, reach for help if you're struggling, because there are people who care."

Chrissy94 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2017

Wellbutrin SR (bupropion): "I have been on 150mg of Welbutrin SR for a little over 2 years. If I could go back and do it over again I never would have started taking it in the first place. It wasn't until I was taking the medication for about 4 months that I really started noticing hair loss. It slowly started to get worse. On top of that I noticed ringing in my ears. The first few months were great, I had more energy energy, I lost weight, and I felt great. I have been trying to wean myself off of Welbutrin, however it's been extremely difficult because of the horrible withdrawal symptoms. Even tapering off a little has been extremely difficult. I wish I would have done more research on the side effects and possible withdrawal symptoms."

Maureen S. (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 4, 2017