User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 218 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Depression

"I just start taking it. I haven't had any major side effects as of yet. My mouth is sort of dry but not too bad. I have to use the washroom a lot. It seem to keep me calm and a little more focus. Hopefully, it works in a positive way for me."

Joseph (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

"I hate this medication. It gives me severe insomnia. I take 3mg alprazolam XR for sleep. This usually works for a good nights sleep where I stay asleep. After 2 weeks on bupropion I wake up at 4 am and cannot go back to sleep and have anxiety attacks. I would rather sleep through the night and be able to function on good sleep and be a bit depressed than have bupropion let me have horrible sleep which makes me more depressed because I cannot accomplish anything during the day due to a dragging feeling. I seemed to be coming out of depression when I started the bupropion.. I couldn't take it long enough (only 2 weeks) because the sleep issue is just too tough for me. I wanted it to work because I don't want an anti-d that will make me gain weight"

Fred Flintstone (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "My second go around since 2010. I have anxiety at 60 yrs. old and wake up thinking about work of all things. Biggest issue is that I have no focus, really aggravating to stay on task at work. So far it seems to give me a bit of a jump and my senses are heightened more, like the ringing in my ears."

AKA HITMAN April 13, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I started taking WELLBUTRIN when I was 14 and I’m 40 now.in between that time I stopped and started because I was being stubborn. But after realizing that it really is a struggle for me to do it all on my own. I started taking Wellbutrin again and it’s been three weeks and I honestly have gotten so much accomplished, I communicate better, I am so focused, I don’t get really annoyed or irritated like I use too, I’m a better mom and I’m working harder at work. I’ve only had a few side effects slightly shaky and a few weird dreams. But I have to be honest with myself, I need to take this medication in order to be a better person. I definitely recommend sticking through it especially if you can see better result happening in your life. Good luck!"

Lemon blossom (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I wanted to share my experience with Wellbutrin XL as reading the reviews in this forum helped me to decide rather to try it or not. I've been on 30MG of Lexapro for several years. I recently experienced a personal setback and the Lexapro was no longer helping. I was afraid of the side effects of Wellbutrin but decided to try it anyway. I started out on a 1/2 of a 150MG tablet. I already had high anxiety and this medicine did make it worse in the beginning. There were days where I thought I can't take this another day. I took 75Mg for about 2 weeks and then upped the dosage to 150MG and cut the Lexapro down to 25MG. By doing this, I felt so much better. Today, I feel about 75% better. I will eventually move up to 300MG. The side effects I experienced were nervousness, anxiety and a minor loss of appetite. I hope this helps as reading several of these reviews were extremely helpful in making my decision when I was searching for a medicine to try. Best of luck to all of you!"

momto1son April 9, 2018

"I took this for 2 months and didn't have any major side effects that I noticed until the 3rd month. My head started itching like crazy and then it would feel like my scalp was burning. At one point I thought I had bugs crawling in my hair. HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE feeling I would much rather be fat and depressed than ever take this drug again!!! Stay away!"

UnityTribe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I’m taking wellbutrin XL 150mg one per day. I’m no more happy then I was before I start taking it ( 2weeks now) no side effects yet. I do notice I get things done on my day everything that I tell myself that I’m going to do I get it done so I guess it is a good thing. Also add a better diet and yoga to it, it had help more now. Will keep taking it and see how it goes."

Tata April 2, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I experienced most of the side effects, thankfully I didn’t have a seizure. I’ve been off a few days and still having side effects. Made my heart race, chest hurt, chest pressure, dry mouth, and forgetting everything. This medicine DID however help my depressed laziness. I had the get up and go and wanted this med to work because it gave me that. My chest still feels like a hippo is sitting on it."

NotAhappyCamper (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Didn't do anything even at 300 mg...a complete placebo. Initial side effects of alertness and appetite suppression were nice, but wore off after a week or two and became a placebo."

Dantheman93 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "On Day 3 I had a grand mal seizure and woke to the fire depart working on me, plus lost driving licence for year. Was not impressed now I have more problems"

Big daddy (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I have depression and anxiety (which for me is feeling stressed and overwhelmed about nothing). Bupropion actually improved my anxiety, but not depression. Having to remember to take it twice a day was a bit of a disadvantage for me."

HeatherVS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I want to preface this by saying that I'm sure this drug has a different effect on everyone. This is only my experience. I started it 14 days ago and had to stop this morning. This is a very powerful medication. I didn't notice the medication for 5 days and my depression suddenly became significantly worse. My short term memory has also been effected. I will forget something that I did seconds earlier. I noticed that my hearing became much more sensitive and everything became very loud. I still feel like I'm in a cloud. I understand that it will take 24 to 48 hours or more to finally get out of my system. Oh, you won't sleep either. Maybe some positive effects of the medication would have appeared if I had stayed on longer. I couldn't take it any more. I hope that your experience isn't like this and that you can get some help. Us this medication with caution."

PF (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "First off I really don't know why my therapist insisted that I start this medication. I had some depression but this was primarily do to situations in my life NOT due to a chemical imbalance. I have never experience depression before and my family has no history of depression. When I first took this medication I had a major headache and this was my first in about three years. My therapist said this would pass and it did. I went for my regular workout and I felt a bit more sore than usual afterwards but dismissed it. I woke up in the middle of the night due to severe muscle/tendon pain and had to take Acetaminophen to get to sleep. My therapist said the pain would go away and it did. At least until my next workout. During the night I must have woken up about 5 times I was in such pain. Got off the medication and in about 2 weeks the muscle/joint pain was gone. If you are on this medication you cannot work out, even though studies show exercise helps with depression."

Anna Mouse (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2018

"I take Par Pharma’s Buproprion XL 150. I had a pretty rough start, sleeplessness, tension headache (from a lack of sleep and dehydration), a bit of anxiety, wooziness, and crazy dreams. On Day 18, everything changed and I stopped obsessing about things that had no meaning and I was no longer fearful of things that I had avoided out of fear. I also have less appetite until the pill starts to wear off at 6 PM (I take it at 3 AM). As a bonus, the medication helped to lessen my migraines. I have one migraine a week as compared to the 4 a week I was having before Wellbutrin. Also, even though I quit smoking 19 months ago cold turkey, I always craved the nicotine. Now, I never think about smoking. I am very pleased with this medication and am glad that I waited out the side effects."

WSO March 22, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "Wellbutrin was a lifesaver for me. Without exaggeration completely changed my life. Before, my depression made me so fatigued, unfocused and unmotivated that I progressed in life at the rate of a sloth. SSRI's never managed to fix those issues. Finally got on Wellbutrin and oh my goodness I can't recommend it enough. Very mild side effects (ringing in ears occasionally, a few hours less sleep the first week or two, sweating) compared to the benefits. Most side effects went away around the 2 week mark. Stopped drinking every day, stopped smoking a pack a day, lost weight, motivated and focused. Thank goodness for Wellbutrin!"

HiTMI (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

"Wellbutrin stopped me from smoking."

Flash Jagger (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "150mgXL-brand WB , 2 wks, then 300mg. Day3 on 150mg, INCREDIBLY restless, irritable, angry which lasted 5 days then felt normal until I upped the dose. 2days, 300mg SO angry, irritable, restless more than before. Emotionally exhausting, Feel more depressed than ever. Lasted nonstop 3.5 weeks,. I was a nightmare. I isolated myself, luckily I work freelance so able to not work. Did have more energy, channeled into exercise, healthy diet, cleaning. It helped to focus on things, read many Wellbutrin reviews online. Helped to not feel crazy. Week#6 started to feel better. Not "happy" but no longer crazy emotions. Week 7 now. I have more energy than before starting, more goal orientated & drive to get things done. Again, don't feel "happy" but don't feel like depression is in drivers seat, so can do what needs doing incl. changing external factors that add to depression. Still quick to irritation. Stopped smoking week 5. Glad where I am now but adjustment period much more difficult than could have imagined"

raymondcalitz (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "I tried it many times. The first 5 times, I got that stoned feeling. I mean stoned for days. As long as I was on it, I was stoned. Finally, I tried it and it didn't make me stoned. I was grateful. Turns out that if my cortisol was already low, I didn't get stoned. Found out the hard way that it also lowers cortisol so I couldn't get off my chair for weeks and couldn't figure out why until I realized it was the wellbutrin. But, it did make me a bit happier so I will have to try something else that is similar."

loveydovey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I started taking 150mg, felt nothing, no improviment nor side effects. On the third week the doctor increased it to 300mg. Today is the 3rd day on 300mg, and the first time I feel anything, and its horrible. I can't move, no energy, horrible saddness, can't do anything. Hope I feel better soon."

Kia (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

"Felt a change the first day on it. Helped with the orgasm disfunction that Zoloft gave me. No side effects"

as (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): "I have ADHD/chronic pain and depression. I was put on the extended release formula about 4yrs ago , and it's been great!!! I take 300mgs XR in the morning. It does a few things for me. After about 4 days on it by energy was so much better I was like a new man. My doctor told me it would also carry my ADHD med longer as well as my painkillers. He was right! I was able to reduce my ADHD med a bit. I have had a couple of good panic attacks from it's stimulation, but well worth it to me. No weight gain at all. Kinda curbs your appetite. I've gotten used to it. In fact when I see my doctor next I'm going to ask to get bumped up to 450mgs a day. Best of luck to you!"

Bostong (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2018

Wellbutrin (bupropion): "Took it in 2005, it was awful. I thought I was gonna lose my mind. Outbursts of anger, panic attacks, sex drive through the roof (that was nice though). I had to quit. Remeron was perfect. Taking it now, it's great. I'm focused, no anxiety, I'm calm and lots of energy. What's the difference? I think in 2005 I was burned out by stress and anxiety, I needed to slow down, Remeron worked. Now I'm depressed and slow, don't wanna do anything, no energy and can't focus. Wellbutrin feels right."

WhatAboutBob (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"I am in nursing school, so I am constantly studying. I was starting to get very low energy levels and finding it hard to study. I was also getting headaches and constantly hungry (I gained 20 pounds in one month). My doctor started me on bupropion 5 days ago. I am taking 75 mg two times a day. It started working after the first dose. My husband said I was more talkative ( I didn't even realize how hard it was just to talk before I started taking this). I had the energy the next day to finally go to the gym. I have had headaches but I also stopped drinking coffee because I don't want to add a stimulant with bupropion. I have lost 3 of the 20 pounds so far and I am finding it easier to concentrate. After one month of this my doctor is going to see if we need to increase the dosage."

Cass (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

"This immediately gave me energy on 150 mg in the morning. I was supposed to bump up to twice a day after a week but was afraid to because I had trouble sleeping on just the one a day....that had since subsided but I still haven't increased my dose. The one side effect I'm having that both bothers me and scares me is the tinnitis (terrible ringing in my ears). My doctor actually seemed surprised but everywhere I read people are having this side effect and for a lot of them it's not going away either while they're several months after they've stopped. Other than that I do feel more energized and alert. Haven't felt this way for some time. I have also lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks because it helps suppress my appetite."

Kimmer (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2018

"Thankfully to Bupropion, the dark cloud of depression is lifting. In regards to suffering with severe depression for over 10 years (on and off, but worse in wintertime), I finally feel like I'm getting back on track. I no longer wake up and feel like I'm drowning in the hell effects of depression. Although this medication has done me wonders in terms of severe depression, I've noticed my tendencies towards anxiety and irritability are higher. I expected these effects, but just thought it may help others who also struggle with anxiety and aren't aware of its "fight or flight" effects it can have. If it wasn't for those 2 side-effects, Bupropion gets a 10/10 from me for treating depression. Overall, I'm happier and I'm glad I'm finally experiencing life without depression. I hope this helps someone out there."

Christina (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2018