User Reviews for Bupropion to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin, Budeprion Forfivo XL Budeprion SR

Bupropion has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 131 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 45% of those users who reviewed Bupropion reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Bupropion Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

16% 21
0% 0
21% 27

Reviews for Bupropion

That Sad Girl Mary · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2021

“I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Honestly I feel the same or maybe even worse with the Anxiety:(”

Fen · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2020

“I have been though quite a bit in my life. I've never felt worse...Horrific anxiety the entire day!”

dontuse · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

“I never ever go out of my way to write reviews but after the most intense panic attack I’ve ever had, I knew I had to get on here to warn others. I took the bupropion pill about 2 hours ago only to be hyperventilating and crying for my parents about thirty minutes later. I felt as if someone was sitting on my chest and my hands went completely numb. I felt paranoid of everything including my own family. I was extremely disconnected from everything and knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep at all tonight. So here I am writing this review. I also would like to mention that the nightmares I had while on this medication was INSANE. I understand that certain medication effects people differently, but I would never and I mean EVER want anyone to go through this experience.”

Nancy · Taken for less than 1 month November 8, 2020

“I never, and I mean never, listen to bad review on drugs because I know everyone reacts differently. But please, for the love of God, listen to this bad review. I have mild to moderate anxiety and started taking bupropion 75mg, once a day, 3 days ago. It has been a living nightmare. 30 minutes after I take it I have massive panic attacks, feel like I can’t breathe and I’m losing my mind. I feel paranoid and “sketched” out about everything. I shake, feel dizzy and my thoughts are absolutely insane. If you’ve ever smoked too much marijuana and have an anxiety attack, thats just what Wellbutrin feels like. I’ve ended up just staying in bed. When I was driving on day 2 I had a massive sudden panic attack where I had to pull over. I didn’t even have that severe of anxiety before Wellbutrin.”

Rod · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2020

“Changed from sertraline to Wellbutrin, sertraline shut my libido down (can't believe she still loves me) and took me a while to figure that out (thanks Doc!) after a few months on Wellbutrin I have many of the same symptoms that I read here, insomnia is brutal, wake up at 4am to the sound of a neighbors car starting and I am up for good. Mood swings, anxiety worse then before... I can go on, blurry vision for sure.. Short tempered... none of which I had before WB. When I told my doc I wanted to stop she upped me to 300mg daily! I took her advise but I have had enough, this is crazy! It didn't work for me. With all these symptoms I forgot why I was even taking it. My original long standing issue was anxiety and OCD. I feel like I have spent most of my life trying to diagnose and find something to help me.”

Mariah August 22, 2020

“I finally went on Wellbutrin after telling myself “I’ll try next year if it gets bad again”. This medication has eliminated my anxiety, encouraged more healthy habits, and brought me back into my body & stop self medicating for the first time in my life. This is NOT a cure-all! I have found that this medication must be paired with healthy habits (healthy diet of whole foods with plenty of fruits & veggies, ample hydration & sleep, etc.). Side effects I experienced in the first week included insomnia, mild constipation, thirst. All managed by previously stated healthy habits. After a couple weeks I stopped noticing any side effects at all. I’m about two months in and the drug is so affective I have been forgetting to take it. What anxiety?! If I could wave a magic wand I would make it so that this drug was effective for and available to every person with anxiety because it has changed my life.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

Wellbutrin XL (bupropion): “I started taking bupropion 150xl this month. I was shocked that it helped with my anxiety and made me relaxed and not on edge anymore.”

Leelee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 27, 2020

“I have GAD and have noticed nothing but great effects from Bupropion XL. I noticed my energy levels have increased for the most part, but not excessively. I am able to get more work done and stay focused. At first, I struggled with eating because my appetite went away. All of the side effects went away after the 6-week mark.”

Cjg32 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2020

Budeprion XL (bupropion): “I’ve been on this since early October 2019 and it was all good the first month then ever since my anxiety has been getting worse and worse.”

Ms. Ecstatic · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

“I've been taking Wellbutrin for PTSD/MDD/Anxiety for almost 5 weeks, and man has it been wild. I've lost 10 pounds, I'm feeling more confident, and I'm happier overall. I can't wait to see what happens at 3 months! I had no idea it was used for appetite reduction, so I was concerned at first, but it's nice! No more grazing or overeating. It also helps with libido. I literally did not have one for years. I was taking Prozac. Now I'm 24 and actually have one. I would recommend this to anyone! :)”

KM · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

“Over the past 2 years, I have had really bad anxiety. Nervous, sweaty, dizziness, lightheadedness, and a little bit of shortness of breath. This bupropion was the first antidepressant I have ever tried and I don't like it. However, I have to friends who are on it and are doing really well who suffer from BOTH anxiety + depression. I only have anxiety so I'm not sure if this is the right pill for me. It did help me lose weight, and helped my breathing, but it made me very emotional, I would cry for no reason. I took it for 12 days and decided to stop. Best of luck to you, I'm going to try buspar just for my anxiety and if I don't like this I'm going to try Zoloft.”

Dm · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

“I’ve taken this medication bupropion for one week. The first 6 days I felt great but starting day 7 ( yesterday) my anxiety has gotten worse! I feel like I’m regressing! I thought maybe it was just me but my anxiety had been better than after taking this medication! Just makes it worse for me.”

Ash · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

“This is my third time taking a type of anxiety medication due to how severe mine is, and this medication seems to do the opposite of what I was told it'd do. I feel less depressed, but my already severe anxiety is even WORSE now.”

Life changer December 27, 2019

“To be honest, I have been prescribed many many antidepressants by doctors in my life. All of them did not properly work. When I was prescribed amazing bupropion, it changed my all life quality. Did not see any side effect yet. It doesn’t not make any fog or confusion in my totally. By contrast, you will see that you find your brain true power and potential. Thank my doctor to be prescribed this magical drug for me.”

Anne Onamouse · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 25, 2019

“I have been on Bupropion for only 6 -7 weeks. At first 150 XL then 2 - 150 XL after a week. I had to drop back to one tablet after the second week because I felt too wired and couldn't sleep. The day after dropping back the dose I was very tired and sleepy. Finally a week later I went back to 2 - 150XL and its going better so far. My anxiety is definitely lower as is my blood pressure. When first starting the medication I felt more sexual. This has happened before on SSRIs as I recall. With just the Bupropion now, I seem to have atomic orgasms. I also have more alertness, very much improved memory and much less dyslexia. I am not sure if my erections are somewhat more difficult, definitely amazing orgasms.”

Woman 37 December 14, 2019

“I have been taking bupropion for 6 weeks to treat anxiety and work-related stress. In the first 2 weeks I had some side effects, such as severe stomach pain and dry mouth. They disappeared completely after 2 weeks. I take 150 mg/day. After 2 weeks on the pill, I didn't feel that great so the dose was increased to 300 mg, but it only made me feel angry and explosive. The medication started to work its magic in the third week. I feel like I am in control of my life again and work doesn't stress me as much as it used to. My anger outbursts are also under control. The "I want to die" feelings are also under control. I feel really good and wanted to stop taking this med, as it is the first time I take any controlled medication and I don't want to depend on it to live a normal life, but I decided to wait a little longer. The only downside to bupropion is that I have gained a couple of kgs in the past few weeks due to an increase in well-being and appetite.”

Carebear December 10, 2019

“I started this drug 5 weeks ago and absolutely hate it. I suffer from anxiety not depression and if you have anxiety I wouldn't recommend it at all. My anxiety is through the roof. I mentioned this to my Dr. that I had gained weight on my Cipralex so he weaned me off it and started me on bupropion. Week 2 I started getting what I call brain zaps,(so irritating). Week 4 I started getting very anxious so I went back to my dr. and he increased it to 300mg from 150mg and now I'm a hot mess. I am going to my dr. today and asking to get put back on my cipralex. I'd rather be fat and happy then manic and ready to pull my hair out. Will never go on this again.”

25 · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

“I was on Zoloft and it worked amazing for my anxiety but it was causing sexual dysfunction. My dr had me try bupropion. The first week I didn’t really notice a chance but by week two I was depressed for the first time ever and cried every single day after work for no apparent reason. An absolutely exhausted medication I will never ever take again.”

Crys54 · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

“So, today is day 3 for me. I’m a lot more awake. I was prescribed this bupropion to take with Lexapro. It started slowly, and if I’m not focused in on something, I realize how anxious(energized) I am. I have a busy schedule, and have had problems getting out of bed before this. Nothing too serious, just took more effort than most. To have this extra boost is different. I have had crying spells at times, nothing I couldn’t control though. I little more sensitive to negativity. But, like I said, it’s only day 3. Really trying not to get discouraged with all these negative reviews.”

Kjean · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2019

“I was on Lexapro 10mg for 2 years to help with anxiety and depression. It did help but seemed to be the cause of my 15lb weight gain. I asked the dr for something else that wouldn’t cause weight gain and he gave me 150mg Wellbutrin. It was fine for the first week until I developed severe anxiety, depression, tinnitus, and mild dizziness. I was crying several times per day and felt like everything was going wrong in my life. I tried to distract myself from the racing and anxious thoughts but nothing seemed to help. I will be stopping Wellbutrin and asking the dr for something else for anxiety. Maybe another SSRI with less weight gain. If you have any anxiety I don’t recommend this drug. It may work for depression but not for anxiety.”

C · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 28, 2019

“On week 6 of taking 150mg bupropion per day to treat the feeling of taking on too much (anxiety). No depression, nor history of depression. Last night, I was driving with my kids in the car and had a major panic attack. I have never in my life had this sort of attack. It was completely debilitating and I had to pull off the road and into a parking lot. I was crying uncontrollably, shaking and had no idea what was going on. My oldest son called for help and we got home safely. I stopped taking this drug this morning and will likely never take another antidepressant again.”

Emma · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 14, 2019

“I absolutely hate this drug. Within the past year I have been experiencing the worst anxiety and panic attacks I’ve ever had. I went on lexapro which seemed to calm my panic and my anxiety in general. However, I thought I started to gain some weight and I thought it was the cause so I asked my doctor to switch me to something else. She switched me to bupropion. At first it was fine, but now it’s about my 5th week on it and if I thought my anxiety has been bad this past year it’s NOTHING compared to how I feel now. Pure panic when doing the most mundane tasks and my brain is racing with anxiety and scary thoughts. I went on this drug for anxiety and it has made my anxiety 100 times worse and has even begun to cause depression which I wasn’t struggling with before. I would absolutely rather deal with the weight gain of lexapro then this horrific drug.”

Evitalovee · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2019

“I had a very horrible experience with this drug. Initially, it was great maybe for about 2 weeks or so. After that it was horrible. I thought I had fibromyalgia! I had the exact same symptoms of it! I kept going to the doctor for bad body aches and pains because at first I didn’t know what it was and my anxiety and paranoia came back. I tried yoga, massages, anything to relieve the pain and nothing worked. When I finally realized it was the medicine after about a month, I immediately switched to paroxetine (Paxil) and everything was fine. In my experience, Wellbutrin did not work well for my anxiety.”

Panda · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2019

“I have been on this drug for about 5 weeks for anxiety. Been struggling with my toxic work environment while studying for my masters and have felt out of control and so angry. Doctor wanted me to try this as I also have MS and she has had much success with Wellbutrin. Can’t say I really noticed too much a difference until week two besides I felt more patient and seemed slightly less negative. Week 2 I was so dizzy that if I wasn’t lying down, I was puking. Thought it might be a bug so kept taking drug. Week 5 and I’m a complete mess. Anxiety through the roof and have had a nonstop panic attack for days. Can’t sleep and don’t poop regularly like I use to. No appetite to an almost scary level lately. I never wanted to be on medication for my mood swings and anxiety and now I feel even more confused and upset that this confirmed my fears and has made things worse. Calling doctor in the morning. Good luck to you all.”

Happy Mary September 27, 2019

“I have been on Bupropion ER/SR for about 5 years and it has recently occurred to me that I should share my positive experience with others who may be suffering with anxiety, depression, and arthritic pain. During the summer I take 100 MG, and during the winter I take 200 MG. First my major issues were anxiety and depression. I would be irritable and would snap at people; then I'd regret it later and hate myself. And at best I was often very depressed. When I developed arthritis pain, my issues escalated. All these years later I realize and appreciate how much this medication has changed my life. Bupropion, for me is very subtle, like taking an aspirin for a headache - I don't feel like I'm "on" something, I just generally feel better like a normal person. Before trying Bupropion I tried other medications that made me feel terribly dopey, which was even more depressing. Bupropion is a miracle drug for me. As long as it keeps working, I will take it for the rest of my life.”