User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Anxiety

"Only been taking the generic Wellbutrin Sr 150mg for a few days. And only once a day. I'm also taking Buspar 2 times a day, and have been for a month. It started to lose its effectiveness so along with increasing the daily dose of it, I was given Wellbutrin SR. It's 330am and I'm wide awake. Didn't have much energy today but even with melatonin, I woke up at 130 And can't fall back asleep. I've been craving water all day. Smoking less cigarettes. Appetite was less today than usual....Thank God. So far I really like the Wellbutrin Sr. .minus the insane heartburn it's giving me. So long as it doesn't cause my hair to fall out like Zoloft did, I should be able to tolerate the others."

BeautifulWreck (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

"I was on the generic form of Prozac 20mg for anxiety/headaches for about 6 months. During the first few months I worked out at least 3 times a week & didn't notice a difference in my weight loss I became frustrated with it. I also felt like I needed more help, well Once my dr increased my dose I maybe worked out once a week & the weight piled on. I was always sleeping and didn't feel like doing anything. I went and saw my dr & told her to take me off this bc it wasn't working and the weight gain was awful 20 pounds in 2-3 months. I started Budeprion XL 150 mg once a day. today is my third day and I already feel that im not as hungry, I have way more energy, last night I felt like I was drifting in & out sleep, may need meds to help sleep"

cj3216 September 10, 2016

"I started bupropion 150 once/day 2 months ago, after suffering increasing issues with anxiety and inability to think rationally. I found myself unable to cope with normal day to day issues. This medication has helped, but be careful. As many others have indicated, it's tough adjusting to it - for me it's insomnia and irrational thoughts. And even though I "feel" better, my anxiety has not dissipated, just have fewer episodes. However, be aware...as I did crash hard a few weeks back, and it was WORSE than ever. I came through but left me little worried, as I went to a very dark place. I feel great now, so maybe it's just finally kicking in? This battle with anxiety has opened my eyes, and I'm scared of what future holds for me"

Grant M August 29, 2016

"I was having really bad panic attacks,anxiety had me feeling like I was going crazy ! I went to my doctor he put me on bupropion 75 mg 2x a day I started taking this medication 5 days ago and I feel that I can finally get my life back ! I had a lilttle anxiety for about 3 days nothing major but I'm feeling so good I sleep well,I can think without answering myself, I have energy I'm so happy my doctor put me on this. I pray to whoever going through this I hope that you will find comfort as I did."

MrsB. (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

"I started taking Wellbutrin 2 months ago. I do not suffer from depression, I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder. It is definitely very helpful for the generalized anxiety as I am not feeling anxious 24/7. But the longer I take it, the more I experience unpleasant side effects. Out of any antidepressant I have tried, it is the only one that does not effect my sex drive, which is a plus. But I have a very difficult time falling asleep, even with the addition of sleep medication, I get constipated frequently, it makes me nauseous and dizzy, my muscles ache even though I work out regularly, I am itchy all the time, my appetite is irregular, I'm moody, and I still have panic attacks."

Samm R August 21, 2016

"Was on it for 4 months, thought it was a miracle drug util I found out what it did to my body, caused blood clots, fat clots, which led to fat embolisms, gave me high cholesterol which led to cholesterol plaque in my heart which traveled throughout my my body. I have been off of it for TWO MONTHS and I'm still trying to recover. ALL TOGETHER HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. DO NOT TAKE."

Kelly-jean Marsh July 22, 2016

"After taking 150 mlg or 75 ir morning and 75 ir afternoon I feel better, my anxiety has dropped and my depression is better, not 100% but I'm happy with the results. At first my anxiety felt like it increased at times and the VA would not put me on benzo's so I toughed it out and feel better in between the anxiety spikes, but I do like the med it works for me. Good luck"

John In Arizona (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

"Well I've been on this medication now for almost 6 weeks, and I love it . There were very few side effects. It does suppress the appetite, well it did when I first started on it but now my appetite is great and I'm still losing weight, And my sex drive and life is totally AMAZING!!! My husband is overjoyed!!! And to think I never wanted to take medication, I simply refused to, I always tried anything natural and it would work for a minute then I was trying something else. I'm so glad that I got on this medication because it has really changed my life. I still have very small amounts of anxiety every now and again but it's no where near the way it was ,which was constant."

Because I'm Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2016

"Well I've been on buproprion for five days now, and it really seems to be helping. All last week my anxiety was constant, I was depressed and crying all the time and on top of all of this I decided to quit smoking cold turkey Thursday of last week, mind you that my anxiety was so bad that I was smoking a pack and a half a day, so I was an emotional wreck. So my doctor put me on this med 150mg for two days and 300 there after ,I take one in the morning and another 8hrs later and so far I'm feeling better, I'm not all the way my self but thank God I have some relief. My doctor did say that it will take about six weeks to feel the total effects. And I haven't had any side effects that I've noticed, it does suppress your appetite."

Ready to be myself again (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

"I started this med three weeks ago, I feel so much better. I was afraid to take it. Im on 150mg and Ive taken celexa for 16 years 20mg. 1 mg ativan and was switched to klonapin 1 mg when needed I like how I feel, I am more outgoing and lost 8 pounds so far. Not hungry much, just had a mild headache the first few days. otherwise good. You never know till you try. My hubby yells out Thank You Wellbutrin lol every so often. He notices a change"

indigogirl (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2016

"I am not obese and i do not take this medicine for obesity (i take it for anxiety) One of the side effects for this medication is weight loss and loss of appetite, I have lost 20lbs since taking this medication. I don't know if you're able to take this medication for obesity but it does make you lose weight."

mandy8888888 May 30, 2016

"Female, 26, suffer from anxiety, depression fatigue, sexual dysfunction due to heart surgery, hysterectomy, and traumatic couple of years. This stuff helps so much! I have energy and able to have conversations with strangers and enjoy a social life and after over a year of a complete lack of sexual interest and problems, I finally have a labido again! Not that I needed to lose weight but I was 133 lbs and due to thyroid trouble was unable to get back to my 120 lbs until starting this medication."

Ninjastefy May 13, 2016

"I have been on these meds for about 3 months now for anxiety on 150 mg. At first I felt on top of the world it was great to go on with my day with reduced anxiety. But I still felt some unpleasant adrenaline so I confirmed with my doc to increase to 300mg hoping it would completely eliminate the adrenaline that was left. After 2 weeks on 300mg I became severely depressed and still feel that minor adrenaline. I will go back to the 150mg again and go back for a reassessment."

30Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

"Was on lexapro for maybe 3 years for panic attacks and anxiety. That made me kinda numb. Not really any sex drive, I used to sweat at night with lexapro, it helped with PA & A, but gained weight, and raised cholesterol levels dramatically! I asked to start welbutritin to quit smoking and slowly tapered off lexapro. I'm now taking .5 lexapro maybe 2 times a week till brain zaps disappear..... Now on to the welbutritin... 3 months of Xl 150 a day in the morning, I lost ten pounds! Feel amazing.... And the sex drive is Wonderful. Until I started Wellbutrin I didn't realize how much lexapro affected that because, you just don't think about it, that's part of the numbing I guess. I'm very happy that I switched!"

Review101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

"I call it The Miracle Drug! I was on Paxil for 9 years and had no idea how much it dragged me down. After I had to have my thyroid removed, my Dr and I decided it was time to try something new. Within a week I could feel the difference (maybe it was quick due to body already being use to paxil) My family, friends and co-workers all noticed. I was energized, happy, my libido is finally back (only my husband noticed that one ;) lol, and I"ve lost 14# The only negative I can think of was the first few weeks I had wild, vivid dreams but that has basically stopped. I wish I found it years ago!"

Kelsey764 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

"Wellbrutrin at 150mg twice a day for is great. Some only need that same dosage in mgs once a day. In response to the medicine I have no racey thoughts. No depresssion, no side efffects as to sleepyines, zombified spells or attacks, no anxiety, no boredom, no crying and or laughing spells. THIS MED at 150mg is a blessing from God."

not confused anymore (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2016

"Just wanted to add this article regarding buproprion and anxiety: http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/article/does-bupropion-exacerbate-anxiety/e49bea11f64a67d3c2912a72db4e46bc.html It seems to state that if there is anxiety alone that buproprion would not be best choice as it is not FDA approved for anxiety. Studies do show that buproprion does not exacerbate anxiety symptoms. I have been on Zoloft 100mg for anxiety and it was working quite well. Except sexual side effects. My doctor added Wellbutrin (buproprion) 75mg twice daily and has me tapering off the Zoloft. Only on day 2 of taking both and feel like my heart is beating harder and some issues sleeping, but it is manageable. Hopefully those symptoms will pass."

CSer March 12, 2016

"Tough out the first couple days and you ll be feeling better. Great for weight loss too. Dont drink on this. Great for anxiety. Great!"

Comeback 69 March 9, 2016

"I was waking up to my body shivering for about 10 seconds and having severe morning sadness. Thinking of death, being angry, being unhappy for no reason. I was taking Welbutrin years ago and it seemed to work with little side effects so I requested it from my Doctor. I am very happy with the results, feeling better about life again."

floridaangel (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2016

"Suffer from anxiety and panic attacks since I was a young woman. I've been on many different meds. Have landed in the ER six times in my life thinking I was having a heart attack as these mirror each other in symptoms. Have taken Paxil for 15 years. When I landed in the ER again six weeks ago my Paxil was raised to 60 mgs. I saw doc in a follow up and we decided to try Wellbutrin...the generic. I have been slowly going off Paxil, as you must do, and starting the Wellbutrin. It is now fours weeks and I am up to 200 mgs of Wellbutrin and down to 20 mgs of Paxil. ONE MORE WEEK and I am done. Wellbutrin does have some side effects, I.e., dizziness, Wausau, dry mouth..otherwise I have been doing pretty well. Time will tell."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

"I have been diagnosed at 54 years of age with ADHD and have always had anxiety coupled with depression. I had been prescribed Effexor with drastic results leading to unbearable back pain and incontinence of the bowels. Tried Cymbalta with zero results. I have just been switched to Wellbutrin 150mg XL. I take 25-50mg seroquel for sleep. My greatest fear is muscle and back pain because I work in the health care industry and have to be physically capable of working. Has anyone out there experienced chronic back pain on these medications. I don't doubt the the anxiety of the potential of experiencing back and muscle pain is actually contributing to more anxiety."

Monalisa 1961 January 23, 2016

"Just a quick note---I actually found it helpful to research the actual chemical this medication works on (norepinephrine), because the side effects make a lot more sense once you can look at the NORMAL effects of increased circulating norepinephrine (if you're at all prone to hypochondria/health anxiety like I am ;). I am taking it for depression, even though anxiety is my main struggle....I can honestly say it doesn't help with anxiety per se, but does turn it into a more "focused" anxiety (i.e. feeling rather hyperactive, but in a productive way as opposed to a paralyzed or hopeless way like with depression). Has also DEFINITELY decreased my binge-eating tendencies/desires, so yay for that! :)"

aych13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

"I have had anxiety and depression for years. I've been on Bupropion, 150XL for a few years with good relief from my symptoms. A couple months ago my doctor put me on another 75mg of immediate release bupropion. My anxiety is much less. This medication is what works for me."

Rapunzel123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2015

"I have PTSD and anxiety disorder. I have been on Bupropion Hcl Er XL 300mg and Clonazepam 1mg teva. Both medications taken together are terrible. My symptoms are memory loss, anxiety , tiredness, problem sleeping, panic attacks and depression. I feel like the bupropion causes anxiety and my new panic attacks. Yes losing weight is great at first but I'm in need for changing these medications. Watch yourself make sure it's right for you. Also headaches or migraines."

Dd21 November 25, 2015

"Was prescribed the generic for Wellbutrin, and the first day I felt great. But when I woke up the next morning and went to school, I was dizzy, nauseous and anxious. I had to go home early, and it felt like I had zero energy. Barely left my bed. I took it again and symptoms didn't seem to ease up. Now on day 3 I have been throwing up, and weak. I didn't feel like I had depression before, just anxiety. Now I have symptoms of both. Pharmacy told me to stop taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2015