User Reviews for Bupropion to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Zyban, Aplenzin, Buproban, Budeprion, Forfivo XL, Budeprion XL, Budeprion SR

Bupropion Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Bupropion

"Took for 4 days. Anxiety relieved, however unable to sleep for the 4 days. Extremely tired and irritable at end of 4 days. Stopped taking and experienced elevated anxiety after stopping."

mizuno4me (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2019

"My doctor prescribed Buprupion for my anxiety, first we tried the 150 XL, that didn't seem to work, so they upped it to 300 XL, I've been on it for almost three weeks, had two panic attacks, mild migraines, and nausea. I called and told them what was going on and they lowered the dosage back to 150 XL. Note I've never had a panic attack before. I've had anxiety, but not to the point we're I thought my life was in danger. I am planning on going off this medication when I see my PCP in two weeks."

Mavel (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2019

"Bupropion works really well for my ability to focus on tasks, as someone who as struggled my whole life with focus it is a godsend. Also helps SOO much with cigarette cravings as a heavy smoker and works really well with an increase in libido. Otherwise I cannot say it really does a whole lot for my anxiety. I would give this medication a 10 BUT my fiance (several months ago) tried to take this medication and after 4 days of an increase from 150mg to 300mg committed suicide. So PLEASE know your internal rhythms and let someone monitor you on ANY new medication because EVERY medication reacts with everyones chemical systems uniquely."

Myself (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 17, 2019

"My psychiatrist started me on 75 mg once a day. I was only on it for a week because it gradually made my anxiety worse until I had a panic attack and stopped taking it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

"It was hard to specify one condition for being prescribed Wellbutrin. #1 reason I tried it (in addition to the Celexa I was already taking for depression) was to help me concentrate and focus. In that regard, I feel the 300mgs daily did help me concentrate more. #2 reason was to help me possibly eat less, especially sweet stuff. At first I did notice a decline in my appetite but have since gained 6 pounds so it didn't work for weight loss. #3 reason was for depression which it helps wonderfully. I suffer from anxiety and phobias and this is not a calming medication. It is like an antidepressant on steroids. I like it very much because it helps me through my social phobia at work a bit I've noticed lately. However, I feel like it's more of a bandaid on my anxiety. I can still feel my mind going crazy with worry and anxiety but it's not developing into full blown panic attacks so that's good."

Shelly H. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2019

"This medicine has helped me so much. I'm just wondering if it is causing me to dream. I've never dreamt before, or if I did, didn't remember any of them. I don't like the dreaming at all."

Dream Girl (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2019

"I am a female in my thirties and have switched to bupropion from lexapro I am on the XL version. Overall I feel like this medicine is a better choice for me. The lexapro never fully got rid of my anxiety and this one has. I also gained close to 20 pounds on lexapro. Now I will say take with caution of how it will affect you. The first week I was extremely dizzy every single day. I couldn’t turn corners or even my head without the constant wave of dizziness. I thought several times of quitting it but I told myself I would give it two weeks and see. The second week I still had dizziness but not near as bad. And now it’s been a little over a month and if I see the dizziness it’s rare. So for overall anxiety it has helped me, hopefully it will continue to be a positive for me. I also was on Xanax for several years before starting either one of these medications and wanted to get off of due to it becoming more dependent!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2019

"From someone who has had experience with this drug for the better half of two years, I would say be cautious taking this if anxiety is an issue for you. I suffer with social and generalized anxiety and found this drug to worsen my anxiety majorly, and also gave me random anger fits. I took this without an SSRI added and then with an SSRI added (which helped my anxiety some), but still felt debilitated by the anxiety. I woke up almost daily in a state of panic, dread, and could barely hold any conversation. Depression wise, it helped to an extent, but I'm having better luck with just being on an SSRI right now. Please talk to your doctor about your concerns regarding your self, because everyone is different. Overall, I'm glad to be off this drug and my anxiety is much better and I'm not angry all the time anymore."

Hope24 October 15, 2018

"I have never commented on a website like this but I must say - if you have anxiety DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. I took it for 2 weeks (today was my last day) and every single day has gotten progressively worse. Besides the nausea and dry mouth, I couldn’t get out of bed for 3 days because I convinced myself that I had no friends and everyone hated me. Panic attacks every day starting first thing in the morning. My anxiety has never been worse. I’m starting on Effexor tomorrow so I hope I have a better experience with that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

"I started off on 75mg SR twice a day, and I really didn’t notice any difference in before taking it, to after, besides being irritable when I forgot to take it. I asked my doctor to switch me to the XL because I kept forgetting to take my second dose, this was a mistake. I took 150mg XL once a day for about 2 wks then started having panic attacks. First couple days they were only once at night and went away by the morning. After that it was like something in me switched and I was having panic attacks constantly all day long. I ended up going to the ER where they gave me Ativan to calm me down and I could finally sleep. Since then I have stopped taking bupropion, it’s been about 6 days. My elevated anxiety has not decreased, but I am no longer having any attacks. I plan on asking to be put on Lexapro since it’s what my sister’s on and it works well for her. I was originally put on this drug for ADHD, which I didn’t notice a difference in. If you are prone to anxiety STAY AWAY."

Kendall93 September 26, 2018

"I've been taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg for almost two months now. It was fantastic for my depression and anxiety for over a month and a half. Up until recently when my panic attacks have returned. Going to have my dosage raised, however; with the less side affects as of many other antidepressants, Wellbutrin overall has been a life saver. From someone who would have panic attacks sitting in the middle of 5 oclock traffic, to someone who can now kick back and listen to the music with my car windows down. Don't be afraid to try it! Also, this may NOT be the meds for you, but that's okay... I went through Celexa and Paxil before I even got to this. Hope you find some relief!"

Zack (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2018

"Don't listen to people say negative stuff about this. As a recovering methamphetamine addict with an ACTUAL chemical imbalance this stuff works if you need it. "

Dick Arrogant (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

"I was only on this medication for 2 weeks but it was awful. I suffer from general anxiety disorder and this sky rocketed my anxiety through the roof. Panic attacks daily, emotional wreck. I would not recommend this to anyone!"

Gero0007 (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

"Been using this medication for a few years to treat my severe anxiety and I've never looked back!"

Chase (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2018

"From what I’ve been told and read, this medication is not for anxiety. You need an add on for that. I am on buspar for anxiety and bupropion for depression. I went off of Prozac because of weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Bupropion changed dramatically for me when buspar was added. Sex has never been better (libido went back up) For some strange reason it also helped the pain I had with sex occasionally from endometriosis. My anxiety is now much better. I take 15 mg of buspar 3 times daily and 300 XL bupropion. The only issue is lack of sleep but I was like that before."

HB (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

"I was prescribed this for my depression and generalized anxiety after zoloft (sertraline) failed me. At first definitely had a hard time adjusting to the energy spike and having a harder time falling asleep. After about a month those went away completely and my depression was workable and similarly with the generalized anxiety overall. However I do have certain side affects such as decreased appetite, I can still eat I just don't realize that I haven't gone awhile without eating on some days, once I became aware of that it wasn't a problem (expected to an extent as this is apparently also prescribed for weight loss?) I have developed a generally more sensitive stomach however not to the point of impeding my life or outweighing the benefits. Sometimes I do feel like I have too much energy or more than I should for whatever situation I'm in, which can lead to a panicky feeling similar to a borderline anxiety attack, but just being aware made the difference in controlling it."

someperson July 17, 2018

"So I was put on this about 2 months ago and it has been crazy since. First my attacks got A LOT worse, I don’t mean here and there I mean everyday almost all day. It got to where I couldn’t do anything with out an attack coming up. I took this along with Trintellix. After about 2 weeks of taking both these together I heard voices. The first encounter was my mother calling my name, I walked in the kitchen and no one was in there. The second encounter was people arguing in my living room so once again so to see what’s going on and again no one was in there. Well before these meds I DID NOT hear voices, and I haven’t heard them since I stopped the bupropion. Another thing that I noticed while I was taking this is I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. And even now after stopped taking this I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep."

BettyR (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

"I don't know how I feel about Wellbutrin? I was prescribed it due to anxiety. I think it's helped a bit with it, but there are still some situations I get in and need to take an Ativan to calm me down. I definitely noticed the side effects: could NOT sleep, sore throat, felt sick, dry mouth. The third day I was on this I had the biggest panic attack I've ever had. I was going to stop taking it but thought I might as well try it out for the month. As for smoking, I still have a smoke here or there but I definitely notice I don't crave them AS much as I did before. Also I've had three people tell me I've lost weight since I started taking it so I suppose it helps with that as well. I still do crave junk food though, I've read in a lot of reviews people stop craving it.. that's not the case for me! Maybe less then I used to but not completely? The side effects I listed earlier are gone now (this is my third week on it)."

IDK July 6, 2018

"Anxiety attacks are less frequent. I feel much better since I have been taking bupropion."

Andy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2018

"I was prescribed Wellbutrin a week ago for anxiety. Saw marked decrease in anxiety within 3 days. Side effects include weight loss (6 pounds this first week!) and I feel the need to go to bed earlier than usual (works for me!). Have had no negative effects yet."

Danielle (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2018

"Added to generic Lexapro because of weight gain and serious sexual side effects . Didn't work until I went up to 300 mg XL and I felt good for only a couple of days then back to feeling like it wasn't doing it's thing. I was pretty scared about the whole side effects, but never had them on 300mg. Still on 150mg XL ,stopped Lexapro."

rc121 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2018

"The doctor prescribed this for anxiety relief added to my Lexapro that I have been for many years. I have been under a great deal of stress (Mom in Alzheimer’s facility, Dad recovering from Aortic valve replacement, work needs me to cover a maternity leave). I was perscribed 100 mg twice daily. Taken 5 pills - now experiencing - anxiety, irritability, nause, a feeling like I am crawling out of my skin, headache. The anxiety is the worst & that is what we were looking to manage. I am not taking another pill. Does not work for - calling doctors in AM."

ColleenHa January 14, 2018

"I tried it as an alternative to SSRIs for sexual problems. Unfortunately it made me shake and gave me insomnia. Had to discontinue faster than most other drugs I took."

yearsofocd (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

"My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for me because I was having anxiety attacks and he didn’t want me to keep taking Ativan. The first few days on Wellbutrin weren’t too bad. A little dizziness but nothing major. But when I got to day 9, the effects were debilitating. I couldn’t sit or stand for more than 15 minutes due to the dizziness and spent half the day lying in bed. I quit taking it that day. Wellbutrin has a long half life, along with the XL working for 24 hours, so day 10 was also miserable. Two major panic attacks along with dizziness and nausea. Back to the doctor for me. I hear that this drug works very well for a lot of people but it certainly didn’t in my case."

PaulDFW (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

"I have been taking this for about 1 year now for Anxiety but also in hopes of quitting smoking. That failed. I still smoke today as much as I did before taking it. As for Anxiety, I notice no change what so ever. I still experience the same amount of anxiety as before. I have had no known positive (or negative) affects. I only take it today just to prevent withdrawal and don't feel like tackling that just yet. It's easier to just continue taking it then to wean off it. The weaning off brings unpleasant side affects in and of itself. I don't recommend this for anxiety what so ever but as far as smoking cessation goes, it's known to help many people. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them."

Robert R. (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2017

Learn more about Anxiety

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)