User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Anxiety

"I have severe anxiety and I would get anxiety attacks everyday. My doctor first put me on Fluoxetine on the highest dosage. After a couple of months my body got use to the medication and it was helping a lot with the anxiety. But I continued still getting the anxiety attacks just not everyday. So then he put me on bupropion 300mg with the fluoxetine and after awhile my panic attacks slowly went away. Now it has been over a year since I have been on the bupropion and my dosage is reduced to 150mg and my fluoxetine dosage is lowered to 20mg. I am happy to say that I have not had a panic attack for 2 years now. This bupropion is a really good medication and I find with using the combination of the fluoxetine it has helped me amazingly. "

CaroM March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just finished my first week on the generic form of Wellbutrin (bupropion 150 XL) and have to say the first few days were tough: dizziness, anxiety, and muscle pains. But now those symptoms have mostly gone away. I do feel amazingly clear headed and have lots of energy. My appetite is gone so I hope to lose about 20 lb if possible. I don't feel the need to drink at all (used to love my wine every night!) The strange part is most people talk about insomnia and vivid dreams. I suffered from those before I started this medication! And now, I sleep a full 7 hours, have no trouble falling asleep and don't remember any dreams when I wake up! I really like this stuff!!"

Samnthaa01 January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medication for anxiety, bc it was recommended by my doctor and therapist. I also read some reviews of how well it did for others. However, I didnt have a good experience at all. I only took the medicine for 3 days, and my anxiety increased exponentially. The 1st day I experienced migraines, dizziness, increased heartrate, ringing in ears, and nearly all other side effects. The second day I felt frantic and wanted to crawl on the walls. I also woke from panic and fear in the middle of the night. On day 3, I woke up angry like the Hulk, violent like. The side effects continued to get worse through the morning- flashes of heat, dizziness, further increased heart rate, panicked feelings, on & on. I DO NOT suggest this for those w/ anxiety"

R0x4nn3 January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking wellbutrin 300 mg for about three years. I was taking Zoloft for anxiety before that and absolutely hated it. The first couple years on wellbutrin was great. I wasn't having anxiety attacks and stress was normal. However, I think my body got too used to it and now the effects are minimal. I can feel some difference, but my anxiety has been an all time high this past year. Since there's nothing higher than 300 mg, I'm planning to try something different. I did like wellbutrin, no side effects. Just doesn't work well for me anymore."

Kristine marie January 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I freaking LOVE buproprion! Sertraline and Fluoxetine would kill my sex drive and also make it impossible to achieve the big O. Now, I'm back! Not only is my anxiety and depression under control, and I was able to quit smoking, and I lost some weight... Having my sex drive back is awesome! I want to kiss the folks who invented this stuff!"

Sherry Goodman January 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Kinda late getting in the loop here, but I started on wellbutrin sr 150mg for major depression then was increased to 300mg after finding the 150 was minimally helping. Was having some generalized anxiety but evidently wasn't bad enough during the assessment period while in outpatient treatment to warrant a diagnosis for it. After OP treatment the 300mg was helping some for the depression, but not as much as would like so I was increased to 450mg. Up until that point the anxiety bit was pretty manageable, but after about a week or so on 450mg my anxiety started to skyrocket. I didn't feel much more help on the depression side at 450mg though. However, with the heightened anxiety I went back to 300mg. Talked to my primary doc who seemed to think that the Wellbutrin shouldnt have much effect on anxiety (despite conflicting evidence to the contrary I've read online on multiple sites) so he put me on celexa 10mg as well recently for the anxiety and notified my therapist as well. Not been on the celexa long enough yet to see how much it helps, but it has made me somewhat queezy as was communicated as a side effect of celexa. So the short of it is my anxiety didn't get real bad until going from 300mg to 450mg of wellbutrin and the depression has only had limited help going from 150mg to 300mg to even 450mg. I guess we'll see how well both celexa 10mg and wellbutrin Sr 300mg work for me for the anxiety and depression."

Lonewolf75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Bupropion 1 1/2 years ago. At first I thought I had found the best meds for my condition but about 8 months in, I stopped feeling the effects and starts having anxiety attacks almost daily. My doctor upped my dosage from 100mg to 200mg. Fast forward to present day and I completely went crazy (irrational, irritability, memory loss, loss of sex drive, and so many more things that I am embarrassed to even say even though this is anonymous! My wife and I looked up some of the side effects of this drug (after long term use) and saw that I was displaying just about all of them. I have since began to taper myself off the drug and for the past week, while my anxiety is still there, the other "issue" I was having are gone."

MstrR November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking bupropion xl 150 mg daily for 5 days now, for anxiety. I have noticed an increase in energy. I also don't binge eat as much. I'm a stay at home mom, so i was always back and forth to the kitchen. No anxiety issues yet. I also take 0.50 mg of Xanax at night to help me sleep. I've been battling sleep problems for a while, so it helps."

Hopeihelped October 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only been taking the generic Wellbutrin Sr 150mg for a few days. And only once a day. I'm also taking Buspar 2 times a day, and have been for a month. It started to lose its effectiveness so along with increasing the daily dose of it, I was given Wellbutrin SR. It's 330am and I'm wide awake. Didn't have much energy today but even with melatonin, I woke up at 130 And can't fall back asleep. I've been craving water all day. Smoking less cigarettes. Appetite was less today than usual....Thank God. So far I really like the Wellbutrin Sr. .minus the insane heartburn it's giving me. So long as it doesn't cause my hair to fall out like Zoloft did, I should be able to tolerate the others."

BeautifulWreck (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on the generic form of Prozac 20mg for anxiety/headaches for about 6 months. During the first few months I worked out at least 3 times a week & didn't notice a difference in my weight loss I became frustrated with it. I also felt like I needed more help, well Once my dr increased my dose I maybe worked out once a week & the weight piled on. I was always sleeping and didn't feel like doing anything. I went and saw my dr & told her to take me off this bc it wasn't working and the weight gain was awful 20 pounds in 2-3 months. I started Budeprion XL 150 mg once a day. today is my third day and I already feel that im not as hungry, I have way more energy, last night I felt like I was drifting in & out sleep, may need meds to help sleep"

cj3216 September 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started bupropion 150 once/day 2 months ago, after suffering increasing issues with anxiety and inability to think rationally. I found myself unable to cope with normal day to day issues. This medication has helped, but be careful. As many others have indicated, it's tough adjusting to it - for me it's insomnia and irrational thoughts. And even though I "feel" better, my anxiety has not dissipated, just have fewer episodes. However, be aware...as I did crash hard a few weeks back, and it was WORSE than ever. I came through but left me little worried, as I went to a very dark place. I feel great now, so maybe it's just finally kicking in? This battle with anxiety has opened my eyes, and I'm scared of what future holds for me"

Grant M August 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having really bad panic attacks,anxiety had me feeling like I was going crazy ! I went to my doctor he put me on bupropion 75 mg 2x a day I started taking this medication 5 days ago and I feel that I can finally get my life back ! I had a lilttle anxiety for about 3 days nothing major but I'm feeling so good I sleep well,I can think without answering myself, I have energy I'm so happy my doctor put me on this. I pray to whoever going through this I hope that you will find comfort as I did."

MrsB. (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Wellbutrin 2 months ago. I do not suffer from depression, I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder. It is definitely very helpful for the generalized anxiety as I am not feeling anxious 24/7. But the longer I take it, the more I experience unpleasant side effects. Out of any antidepressant I have tried, it is the only one that does not effect my sex drive, which is a plus. But I have a very difficult time falling asleep, even with the addition of sleep medication, I get constipated frequently, it makes me nauseous and dizzy, my muscles ache even though I work out regularly, I am itchy all the time, my appetite is irregular, I'm moody, and I still have panic attacks."

Samm R August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on it for 4 months, thought it was a miracle drug util I found out what it did to my body, caused blood clots, fat clots, which led to fat embolisms, gave me high cholesterol which led to cholesterol plaque in my heart which traveled throughout my my body. I have been off of it for TWO MONTHS and I'm still trying to recover. ALL TOGETHER HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED. DO NOT TAKE."

Kelly-jean Marsh July 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking 150 mlg or 75 ir morning and 75 ir afternoon I feel better, my anxiety has dropped and my depression is better, not 100% but I'm happy with the results. At first my anxiety felt like it increased at times and the VA would not put me on benzo's so I toughed it out and feel better in between the anxiety spikes, but I do like the med it works for me. Good luck"

John In Arizona (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I've been on this medication now for almost 6 weeks, and I love it . There were very few side effects. It does suppress the appetite, well it did when I first started on it but now my appetite is great and I'm still losing weight, And my sex drive and life is totally AMAZING!!! My husband is overjoyed!!! And to think I never wanted to take medication, I simply refused to, I always tried anything natural and it would work for a minute then I was trying something else. I'm so glad that I got on this medication because it has really changed my life. I still have very small amounts of anxiety every now and again but it's no where near the way it was ,which was constant."

Because I'm Happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I've been on buproprion for five days now, and it really seems to be helping. All last week my anxiety was constant, I was depressed and crying all the time and on top of all of this I decided to quit smoking cold turkey Thursday of last week, mind you that my anxiety was so bad that I was smoking a pack and a half a day, so I was an emotional wreck. So my doctor put me on this med 150mg for two days and 300 there after ,I take one in the morning and another 8hrs later and so far I'm feeling better, I'm not all the way my self but thank God I have some relief. My doctor did say that it will take about six weeks to feel the total effects. And I haven't had any side effects that I've noticed, it does suppress your appetite."

Ready to be myself again (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this med three weeks ago, I feel so much better. I was afraid to take it. Im on 150mg and Ive taken celexa for 16 years 20mg. 1 mg ativan and was switched to klonapin 1 mg when needed I like how I feel, I am more outgoing and lost 8 pounds so far. Not hungry much, just had a mild headache the first few days. otherwise good. You never know till you try. My hubby yells out Thank You Wellbutrin lol every so often. He notices a change"

indigogirl (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am not obese and i do not take this medicine for obesity (i take it for anxiety) One of the side effects for this medication is weight loss and loss of appetite, I have lost 20lbs since taking this medication. I don't know if you're able to take this medication for obesity but it does make you lose weight."

mandy8888888 May 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Female, 26, suffer from anxiety, depression fatigue, sexual dysfunction due to heart surgery, hysterectomy, and traumatic couple of years. This stuff helps so much! I have energy and able to have conversations with strangers and enjoy a social life and after over a year of a complete lack of sexual interest and problems, I finally have a labido again! Not that I needed to lose weight but I was 133 lbs and due to thyroid trouble was unable to get back to my 120 lbs until starting this medication."

Ninjastefy May 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on these meds for about 3 months now for anxiety on 150 mg. At first I felt on top of the world it was great to go on with my day with reduced anxiety. But I still felt some unpleasant adrenaline so I confirmed with my doc to increase to 300mg hoping it would completely eliminate the adrenaline that was left. After 2 weeks on 300mg I became severely depressed and still feel that minor adrenaline. I will go back to the 150mg again and go back for a reassessment."

30Female (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on lexapro for maybe 3 years for panic attacks and anxiety. That made me kinda numb. Not really any sex drive, I used to sweat at night with lexapro, it helped with PA & A, but gained weight, and raised cholesterol levels dramatically! I asked to start welbutritin to quit smoking and slowly tapered off lexapro. I'm now taking .5 lexapro maybe 2 times a week till brain zaps disappear..... Now on to the welbutritin... 3 months of Xl 150 a day in the morning, I lost ten pounds! Feel amazing.... And the sex drive is Wonderful. Until I started Wellbutrin I didn't realize how much lexapro affected that because, you just don't think about it, that's part of the numbing I guess. I'm very happy that I switched!"

Review101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I call it The Miracle Drug! I was on Paxil for 9 years and had no idea how much it dragged me down. After I had to have my thyroid removed, my Dr and I decided it was time to try something new. Within a week I could feel the difference (maybe it was quick due to body already being use to paxil) My family, friends and co-workers all noticed. I was energized, happy, my libido is finally back (only my husband noticed that one ;) lol, and I"ve lost 14# The only negative I can think of was the first few weeks I had wild, vivid dreams but that has basically stopped. I wish I found it years ago!"

Kelsey764 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wellbrutrin at 150mg twice a day for is great. Some only need that same dosage in mgs once a day. In response to the medicine I have no racey thoughts. No depresssion, no side efffects as to sleepyines, zombified spells or attacks, no anxiety, no boredom, no crying and or laughing spells. THIS MED at 150mg is a blessing from God."

not confused anymore (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just wanted to add this article regarding buproprion and anxiety: http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/home/article/does-bupropion-exacerbate-anxiety/e49bea11f64a67d3c2912a72db4e46bc.html It seems to state that if there is anxiety alone that buproprion would not be best choice as it is not FDA approved for anxiety. Studies do show that buproprion does not exacerbate anxiety symptoms. I have been on Zoloft 100mg for anxiety and it was working quite well. Except sexual side effects. My doctor added Wellbutrin (buproprion) 75mg twice daily and has me tapering off the Zoloft. Only on day 2 of taking both and feel like my heart is beating harder and some issues sleeping, but it is manageable. Hopefully those symptoms will pass."

CSer March 12, 2016