User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Bupropion Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 177 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Anxiety

"From someone who has had experience with this drug for the better half of two years, I would say be cautious taking this if anxiety is an issue for you. I suffer with social and generalized anxiety and found this drug to worsen my anxiety majorly, and also gave me random anger fits. I took this without an SSRI added and then with an SSRI added (which helped my anxiety some), but still felt debilitated by the anxiety. I woke up almost daily in a state of panic, dread, and could barely hold any conversation. Depression wise, it helped to an extent, but I'm having better luck with just being on an SSRI right now. Please talk to your doctor about your concerns regarding your self, because everyone is different. Overall, I'm glad to be off this drug and my anxiety is much better and I'm not angry all the time anymore."

Hope24 October 15, 2018

"I have never commented on a website like this but I must say - if you have anxiety DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. I took it for 2 weeks (today was my last day) and every single day has gotten progressively worse. Besides the nausea and dry mouth, I couldn’t get out of bed for 3 days because I convinced myself that I had no friends and everyone hated me. Panic attacks every day starting first thing in the morning. My anxiety has never been worse. I’m starting on Effexor tomorrow so I hope I have a better experience with that."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

"I started off on 75mg SR twice a day, and I really didn’t notice any difference in before taking it, to after, besides being irritable when I forgot to take it. I asked my doctor to switch me to the XL because I kept forgetting to take my second dose, this was a mistake. I took 150mg XL once a day for about 2 wks then started having panic attacks. First couple days they were only once at night and went away by the morning. After that it was like something in me switched and I was having panic attacks constantly all day long. I ended up going to the ER where they gave me Ativan to calm me down and I could finally sleep. Since then I have stopped taking bupropion, it’s been about 6 days. My elevated anxiety has not decreased, but I am no longer having any attacks. I plan on asking to be put on Lexapro since it’s what my sister’s on and it works well for her. I was originally put on this drug for ADHD, which I didn’t notice a difference in. If you are prone to anxiety STAY AWAY."

Kendall93 September 26, 2018

"I've been taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg for almost two months now. It was fantastic for my depression and anxiety for over a month and a half. Up until recently when my panic attacks have returned. Going to have my dosage raised, however; with the less side affects as of many other antidepressants, Wellbutrin overall has been a life saver. From someone who would have panic attacks sitting in the middle of 5 oclock traffic, to someone who can now kick back and listen to the music with my car windows down. Don't be afraid to try it! Also, this may NOT be the meds for you, but that's okay... I went through Celexa and Paxil before I even got to this. Hope you find some relief!"

Zack (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2018

"Don't listen to people say negative stuff about this. As a recovering methamphetamine addict with an ACTUAL chemical imbalance this stuff works if you need it. "

Dick Arrogant (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 20, 2018

"I was only on this medication for 2 weeks but it was awful. I suffer from general anxiety disorder and this sky rocketed my anxiety through the roof. Panic attacks daily, emotional wreck. I would not recommend this to anyone!"

Gero0007 (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2018

"Been using this medication for a few years to treat my severe anxiety and I've never looked back!"

Chase (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 11, 2018

"From what I’ve been told and read, this medication is not for anxiety. You need an add on for that. I am on buspar for anxiety and bupropion for depression. I went off of Prozac because of weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Bupropion changed dramatically for me when buspar was added. Sex has never been better (libido went back up) For some strange reason it also helped the pain I had with sex occasionally from endometriosis. My anxiety is now much better. I take 15 mg of buspar 3 times daily and 300 XL bupropion. The only issue is lack of sleep but I was like that before."

HB (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2018

"I was prescribed this for my depression and generalized anxiety after zoloft (sertraline) failed me. At first definitely had a hard time adjusting to the energy spike and having a harder time falling asleep. After about a month those went away completely and my depression was workable and similarly with the generalized anxiety overall. However I do have certain side affects such as decreased appetite, I can still eat I just don't realize that I haven't gone awhile without eating on some days, once I became aware of that it wasn't a problem (expected to an extent as this is apparently also prescribed for weight loss?) I have developed a generally more sensitive stomach however not to the point of impeding my life or outweighing the benefits. Sometimes I do feel like I have too much energy or more than I should for whatever situation I'm in, which can lead to a panicky feeling similar to a borderline anxiety attack, but just being aware made the difference in controlling it."

someperson July 17, 2018

"So I was put on this about 2 months ago and it has been crazy since. First my attacks got A LOT worse, I don’t mean here and there I mean everyday almost all day. It got to where I couldn’t do anything with out an attack coming up. I took this along with Trintellix. After about 2 weeks of taking both these together I heard voices. The first encounter was my mother calling my name, I walked in the kitchen and no one was in there. The second encounter was people arguing in my living room so once again so to see what’s going on and again no one was in there. Well before these meds I DID NOT hear voices, and I haven’t heard them since I stopped the bupropion. Another thing that I noticed while I was taking this is I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. And even now after stopped taking this I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep."

BettyR (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2018

"I don't know how I feel about Wellbutrin? I was prescribed it due to anxiety. I think it's helped a bit with it, but there are still some situations I get in and need to take an Ativan to calm me down. I definitely noticed the side effects: could NOT sleep, sore throat, felt sick, dry mouth. The third day I was on this I had the biggest panic attack I've ever had. I was going to stop taking it but thought I might as well try it out for the month. As for smoking, I still have a smoke here or there but I definitely notice I don't crave them AS much as I did before. Also I've had three people tell me I've lost weight since I started taking it so I suppose it helps with that as well. I still do crave junk food though, I've read in a lot of reviews people stop craving it.. that's not the case for me! Maybe less then I used to but not completely? The side effects I listed earlier are gone now (this is my third week on it)."

IDK July 6, 2018

"Anxiety attacks are less frequent. I feel much better since I have been taking bupropion."

Andy (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2018

"I was prescribed Wellbutrin a week ago for anxiety. Saw marked decrease in anxiety within 3 days. Side effects include weight loss (6 pounds this first week!) and I feel the need to go to bed earlier than usual (works for me!). Have had no negative effects yet."

Danielle (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2018

"Added to generic Lexapro because of weight gain and serious sexual side effects . Didn't work until I went up to 300 mg XL and I felt good for only a couple of days then back to feeling like it wasn't doing it's thing. I was pretty scared about the whole side effects, but never had them on 300mg. Still on 150mg XL ,stopped Lexapro."

rc121 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2018

"The doctor prescribed this for anxiety relief added to my Lexapro that I have been for many years. I have been under a great deal of stress (Mom in Alzheimer’s facility, Dad recovering from Aortic valve replacement, work needs me to cover a maternity leave). I was perscribed 100 mg twice daily. Taken 5 pills - now experiencing - anxiety, irritability, nause, a feeling like I am crawling out of my skin, headache. The anxiety is the worst & that is what we were looking to manage. I am not taking another pill. Does not work for - calling doctors in AM."

ColleenHa January 14, 2018

"I tried it as an alternative to SSRIs for sexual problems. Unfortunately it made me shake and gave me insomnia. Had to discontinue faster than most other drugs I took."

yearsofocd (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2018

"My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150 mg for me because I was having anxiety attacks and he didn’t want me to keep taking Ativan. The first few days on Wellbutrin weren’t too bad. A little dizziness but nothing major. But when I got to day 9, the effects were debilitating. I couldn’t sit or stand for more than 15 minutes due to the dizziness and spent half the day lying in bed. I quit taking it that day. Wellbutrin has a long half life, along with the XL working for 24 hours, so day 10 was also miserable. Two major panic attacks along with dizziness and nausea. Back to the doctor for me. I hear that this drug works very well for a lot of people but it certainly didn’t in my case."

PaulDFW (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2017

"I have been taking this for about 1 year now for Anxiety but also in hopes of quitting smoking. That failed. I still smoke today as much as I did before taking it. As for Anxiety, I notice no change what so ever. I still experience the same amount of anxiety as before. I have had no known positive (or negative) affects. I only take it today just to prevent withdrawal and don't feel like tackling that just yet. It's easier to just continue taking it then to wean off it. The weaning off brings unpleasant side affects in and of itself. I don't recommend this for anxiety what so ever but as far as smoking cessation goes, it's known to help many people. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them."

Robert R. (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2017

"I have tried many anti-anxiety medications and each one always seemed to have a side effect. The main side effect was loss of libido. So with that being said I went off anti-anxiety medications completely. Until the past month, I was have panic attacks, tightened chest, depression. I went to my doctor and explained how all the anti-anxiety medications caused loss of libido. So he put me on this medication and it has been a life saver. No more panic attacks, I feel happy and content. Plus libido is back! 100% Recommended."

am1020 (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2017

"I usually don't comment on these websites and my experience may not be the same as yours, but it may be helpful. If you're suffering from anxiety, stay far away from Wellbutrin. Within the third day of taking this medication, I was crazy depressed, happy full blown anxiety attacks everyday. Dwelling on the negative and life just seemed hopeless. Basically the depression and anxiety got worse and my traumas felt even scarrring! have never felt this horrible-- had to take clonazepam everyday. Wellbutrin increases your energy if you're depressed, so you can already tell what happens when you suffer from anxiety! Anxiety + a big boost in energy = hell."

Ikhan November 21, 2017

"Anxiety had gotten so bad I couldn't even breathe normally when I focused on it. It's all gone on buproprion. I can hardly remember what it felt like to involuntarily stifle my own breath."

bringmeashrubbery (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 24, 2017

"I started two weeks ago on 150mg. I noticed a difference within the first 3 days. I wake up feeling refreshed, sometimes I have a manageable headache but within 2 hrs its gone. I have a huge increase in energy & motivation. I used to take a nap every day for up to 3 hours, I haven't taken one since about the 3rd day in. My sex drive has come back slightly & the weight loss is very slow, about 1lb a week but that's also watching what and how much I eat. The medication has helped with reducing my appetite but not by much. I take it at night because it makes me tired. The only negative side effect is that my skin always feels like I have bugs crawling on it. I hope that goes away with time."

Chelley8301 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2017

"I started this last week because doctor recommended it, they recommend it cuz I've had horrid anxiety and panic attacks. This has helped me & has calmed down my nerves so much and I'm on the lowest dose. To best honest I'm gonna stay on the lowest dose because this medication makes you feel really floaty and like stuff kinda goes in slow motion, is the only way I can explain it. Hopefully this helped someone."

Bupropion (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2017

"This has been the absolute worst anti depressant I have been on. I will NEVER go back to that drug ever again the first few days of being off Celexa and being on Wellbutin was OK. But about a week and a half later I was a absolute mess. My depression got worse and my anxiety, well was out of this world! I constantly had this paralyzing fear of the world ending or stepping foot outside. I was crying and felt so sick to my stomach all day everyday! I could smack the quack who put me on this horrible stuff! I'm going back to Celexa. I know some say it will make you gain weight or hard to lose it, but it didn't fit me at all. Plus I much rather be fat the have all this sang stress, pressure and anxiety I'm done"

Horrible September 21, 2017

"I used to wake up every day feeling miserable and irritable. I found it hard to think clearly, concentrate & just live a somewhat normal day. I was first put on Sertraline and that didn't go so well.. I had really bad side effects (fatigue, depression, sporadic emotions) Took myself off that after about 2 months or so. I was then put on this medication! I saw results almost right away with 150ml daily for about 1.5 months with some side effects including dizziness & dry mouth/always thirsty (which I can deal with!) Then because I & my doctor felt there was room for additional improvement I went to the 300ml dose.. it's only been about 1-2 weeks on the higher dose but so far so good. No complaints! I can actually be free + feel normal again!"

Bail August 28, 2017