User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Zyban (bupropion): "I'm taking Zyban SR 150mg twice a day. I started with once a day for 7 days on May 10 2017. So I've been on on it for 12 days. I have stopped smoking which is the goal for 3 days. Should I stop taking this medication soon? The side effects are overwhelming. I am flush, chest pain, bad taste in my mouth, sweats, nausea, head feels foggy, ears are pain with fullness feeling, constipated, and more. Will the side effects go away?"

Rosesarred (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was able to get off an i.v. cocaine habit with the help of generic Wellbutrin SR 150 once daily; then increased it to twice daily. If you can leave coke alone for 2-3 weeks, it will leave you alone. Wellbutrin gave me just enough help to back off from the razors edge for that critical, first 2-3 weeks. As added insurance, I continued to take it once a day for about 1 year as a prophylaxis treatment to help prevent a relapse."

Anticoli (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was taking wellbutrin XL 150mg once a day. I started taking this drug for what was thought to be mild anxiety (which was from caffeine withdrawal) and to quit smoking. The first few weeks were ok (prob because my body was getting use to the lack of caffeine). After a while I began to feel really anxious due to physical symptoms I felt, ringing in my ears, trouble sleeping, lack of memory and attention, reflux, constipation, hemorrhoids, heart flutters, constant trembling, extreme anger and the inability to calm down, fear of being alone, and constant fear of dying. I have been off of the medicine for 7 days and feel great. Pay attention to any symptoms you feel and tell your doc."

Misspic (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg 4 one week then 300mg after the 1st week. Never liked 2 mix any meds with my pain meds (too scared) but I have to stop smoking cigarettes. I also need to lose 60 lbs so I can get this surgery. Hopefully I'll be successful. I'll definitely check back in & let you'll know what happens. Pray 4 me."

Joyiousjody April 18, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "I have only just got these. I can't swallow them- I did crush the first one ,I read you cannot do this I really want to try these I don't know whether to take them now "

Nicoooo123 April 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on bupropion for 8 days and I have to say this pill is short of a miracle. The first 3 days, instead of smoking, I used the patch. Since that day I have gone nicotine free. A few side affects are I'm a little foggy brained, my hands are shaking and I'm awake between 3-4 every morning however last night I was able to fall back asleep within an hour where usually I couldn't so that may be going away, fingers crossed. Overall highly recommended"

Michelle2354 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I only now smoke after eating sometimes, and when drinking. Other than that. I don't smoke more than 3 cigs a day for the most part. I used to smoke a pack and a half a day"

Erin0423 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "I started taking Zyban 4 weeks ago. I'm on the 12 week course of treatment. I've been smoking 17 years (started smoking at age 11) I'm now 28. I've tried quitting many times with patches and the gum and even tried the vape cigs. My quit date was March 16th and I have cravings but they don't bother me. It's weird but it's just like a quick thought that pops up and then you are like nope not today and its over with. The main side effect I've had is drowsiness. I've slept a lot. After I take my dose, I literally pass out and wake up hours later. Also, I feel drained, but I'm thinking these side effects may be my body going through withdrawal. I have felt a little nervousness here and there. Overall, it's been good."

Tater923 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 37 years old and have been smoking since I was 12. I smoked 2 packs per day for the last 20 years. I started Bupropion XL 9 days ago 150mg in the AM. The first 2 days I didn't feel any different. On the 3rd day cigarettes tasted nasty. And I started to get a dry mouth. I continued to smoke for the 1 week. at the 1 week mark I started taking 300mg AM. Since I quit, I haven't had a single craving. I feel absolutely amazing. I have been experiencing some side effects though. I get dizzy and feel jittery about an hour after I take the medicine. Come the afternoon I feel fine. I would not have been able to stop smoking if it wasn't for this medicine. =)"

Bublz (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "I'm taking contrave which contains zyban. Immediately my cravings were dramatically reduced. I was completely shocked because I've been trying to quit for 30 years without success. I'd always get the most unbearable tension headaches and give up. Finally I asked my doctor for help and she prescribed this. It's been almost a month now and I've only smoked a few times. It tastes horrible now and I'm not craving them at all now unless I get really stressed out. But when I do, I don't enjoy it anymore. I encourage you to try it. If you get side effects reduce the dosage til your body adjusts. Increase very gradually. Hope this helps! Good luck!"

delraybeachfl March 18, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "I went to my doctor and requested a totally different medication. Medication to give me energy which support my quitting and keep me from putting on weight. Well he decided to give me Zyban. Zyban gave me the energy I needed to exercise, stay alert, keep my mind off the cravings and eat a healthy diet. I lost weight on Zyban. After 2 weeks smoking with the medication I had my last smoke. The cravings were incredibly minimal. Yes I still thought about smoking and I still do. But the cravings were bearable. I could manage. They were easy! Zyban made me realise quitting smoking is easy and can be done. I urge you to try if you haven't before. No negative feedback what so ever on this drug."

exsmoker2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "The first time I took Zyban was around 2004. I was on it for a week and I was amazed how it stopped the urge to smoke BUT the side effects were awful. I experienced anxiety and what felt like deep lows. I would wake up sobbing for no reason but at least I didn't feel like a cigarette! I'm in Australia and pretty sure that we take the same levels of 150mg twice a day"

Simon1511 March 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "I smoked for 35 years. Pack a day. I never though I could quit. I joined a smoking cessation workshop run by a doctor and social work from the HMO I belong to. They offered an 8-week workshop and 6-month prescription of Zyban at 20% the over-the-counter cost for the drug. The first week of taking Zyban was accompanied by some side effects which I hated. (waking up early, nervous). I spoke to the workshop leaders and said I felt like quitting the drug due to the side effects. They told me to "hang on a few more days" and the side effects would disappear. They were 100% correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy!!!!!!!! I took Zyban for 5 months and then weaned off of it. I never have the urge for cigarettes."

BarbClam March 7, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started smoking when I was 15 years old, and I'm 35 now. I started taking Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2 times a day. By day 3 I noticed while I was smoking a cigarette I was thinking to myself, wow I'm still not done with it yet. Wellbutrin started working after just days with me. I did have some side effects and thought I was going to have to stop the pill. But after a week the side effects went away and I quit smoking after day 8 on the Wellbutrin. I probably could still be smoking if I went and bought a pack and had them in front of me. I'm on day 3 not smoking and that's good for me because I could have never done this with Zyban! Good luck"

Sweatpea81 February 22, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "Today Feb. 14, 2017 marks 19 years of being a non smoker & I owe it all to Zyban. Had a few sleepless nights the first week or so, but the craving to smoke went away. I was amazed. I smoked for 32 years and I loved them. Lit up as soon as I got out of bed. The only time I was without a cigarette was sleeping or taking a shower! At the end I smoked 3 packs a day and heard my chest rattle. I've always been on the lean side but was worried about gaining weight if I quit. Did gain a few pounds but got a handle on that. Zyban was the best thing I ever did for myself! Many thanks to my wonderful, retired Dr who prescribed Zyban."

PenLou (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started on Bupropion about 3 weeks ago. On day 1 I had more energy and felt happy; I even didn't feel like smoking-the urge was decreased a lot. By day 10, I was down from 2-3 packs a week to 1 pack or less a week. I switched to brand Wellbutrin XL and even though my cravings were nonexistent on Bupropion, the brand name drug, Wellbutrin didn't curb the cravings as much. I also noticed my energy level decrease a lot. I'm going back to Bupropion because I literally smoked the few cigarettes I went down to purely out of habit because I had no cravings at all. It was amazing how quickly it worked. For me, the purple generic pill worked like a charm, and my mood improved significantly. I wish I had known about this 9 yrs ago!!!!"

LanaLove February 10, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started smoking when I was 15 and quit when I was 25. I started again at age 42 and was unable to quit on my own. I used Chantix successfully for a year, but relapsed. Subsequent quits would last a few weeks, then I would go back to a pack a day. I got a Rx for Wellbutrin. It made me feel high at first but that has gone away. No other side effects. With Wellbutrin SR, 150mg 2 X day, I was able to quit for 60 days. After 60 days, I gradually worked up to a pack every 3 days. That's right, a pack every 3 days. Since I couldn't give it up completely, I am now on Chantix and Wellbutrin and have been smoke free for 3 weeks and 3 days without cheating. Never stop trying to quit."

Morning Dew (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very powerful drug. Beware! It feels a lot like meth or other stimulants. I don't think I have it in me to keep taking it. And am worried about getting hooked on it. I have a constant mild headache and my jaw muscles are sore from grinding my teeth. And a general feeling of unrest. But at the same time feel good and have energy and a sharp mind. Five days in and still smoke. Dreading that pill this morning. Ish."

iwts January 28, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "I started smoking at age 9. Smoking alot by age 13. Started driving 18 wheeler at age 23. Four to five packs a day depending on whether I had to work 23 or 24 hours in a day. In Dec. Of 1999 I took Zyban for I think a month. From what I can remember , it made me a little nuts at times as well as violent. I understand it changes the addictive center in your brain but it changed my personality as well. The the second week I relapsed for one day and then none after that. Seventeen years and not one cigarette. Still wanted one once in awhile but never enough to light one up. I only wish I had done it sooner before my lungs went copd. Make no mistake, I would be long dead if I had not quit. (A coffee can full of phlegm a day)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've smoked half a pack a day for about 6 or 7 years. Started taking Zyban just over a week ago. By day 5 I no longer felt the need to smoke on my lunch breaks at work. Could make it a whole work day without a cig, I was shocked!! I've now cut down so drastically that I made today my quit date (day 9). I still think about smoking, but I don't feel the need or want to smoke at all! I recommend this to anyone who wants to quit!!"

Tborsat (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "I used to smoke at least 2 packets per day for almost 20 years. I severally tried to quit without sucess. It was in 2001 while visiting a doctor friend when I learnt about the wonder drug zyban and decided to give it a try. I took 1 tablet per day for 1 week and has never looked back. No claving and no side effects. After 1 week of no smoking at all, I gave the rest of the medication to a friend. The way I think zyban has a degree of success is when an individual also desires and is determined to quit. All I needed was 3 days of no smoking"

Ndiathi (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyban (bupropion): "I have smoked since I was 12 yrs old. Started smoking daily at age 15. I am now 51. Quit a few times for 3 or 4 months but always went back to it. On day 2 with Zyban and still smoking but looking forward to finally quitting. First day I took one in morning. Felt a bit funny but also was getting pains in chest n arm. Not sure if this was just a panic attack or what but going to keep going. If it gets worse I will have to stop taking zyban. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was nothing more than a panic attack."

Annonymous51 January 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's been a wk since I started with Bupron 150 SR (generic bupropion). In the first wk, the cigs started tasting funny (metallic taste), & by the end of the wk, I could hardly smoke a full cig. Been a smoker for the past 25 yrs, It's definitely working, & works best if you stop buying packs!"

Matanay January 7, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Smoked for 43 years 2packs a day tried to quit with patch, hypnosis, chantex didn't work for me . I went on bupropion 2 times a day for three days bad side effects but after 3 days all side effects went away . I smoked for three weeks on the medication and quit. It was not hard to quit I was on the medicine for a total of 2 months quit the medicine and have been smoke free for 6 months ."

Alice car January 4, 2017

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been a smoker for over 25 yrs,smoke a pack every 2 days and its time to stop! My Dr prescribed this med to me over 2 yrs ago and I took one or two here and there,( mainly because I wasn't ready to stop smoking) Today I am ready! I have made a promise to my children and family that I want to be around to see them fulfill their dreams and watch my only grandson graduate from school. I watched my father pass away from lung cancer, oral cancer from smoking but yet I still chose to smoke. That should have been enough to stop me then. Today I am committing myself to stop this awful habit and be released from the cigaraettes hold of addiction. Good luck everyone on the same journey."

Sjnana December 16, 2016