User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

"Made my depression worse, had to stop it....."

Scatty (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

"27 and been smoking heavily for about 2 years but couldn't stop on my own. I've been taking bupropion (purple pill) for about a month now. 1 a day for week 1 then 2 daily. With in the first 2 days I went from smoking 10-12 cigs a day to 3-4. I am also a daily 420 user. The meds cut those cravings way down too, which might be why I was started to feel anxiety so my doctor increased my dose to 340mg. After about 4 weeks I was cig free. I think I'm in week 6 now. I don't crave cigs at all, but for the last week I have been feeling very nauseous when I eat, the worst part is the aggravation/anger. The smallest things get me very angry. I used to me very mild tempered, you could say a push over. These meds made me a b*tch. Now I'm weaning off."

420girl June 29, 2016

"I have been smoking for 14 years, since I was 12 yrs old, I am now 26 years old, I also have anxiety and depression problems, with out knowing buproprion was used also to help quit smoking, I quit smoking on my own, the urge was gone, but I had been wanting to quit, a lot of this is will power but's much easier while taking the medicine, I was happier (the medicine) and whenever I smelt a cigarette it was disgusting I hated it, buproprion has that effect on you. I would definitely recommend the wellbutrin (buproprion) it also helps with the mood swings that occur from quitting."

Emerline (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

"I love this drug for several reasons: it really helps with my anxiety and depression AND seriously helped me quit smoking. I take 100mg twice daily and it is the SR. The first few days it didn't change the way cigarettes tasted or the way they made me feel but that app changed on the 5th day. I lit up and it tasted absolutely terrible that I couldn't take more than 2 drags. I had a small road trip the next morning and out of pure habit, lit up in my car and same thing! It's the nastiest taste! It's been weeks now and I seriously don't even think about smoking anymore(only when I think about how happy I am that I finally quit). It's a really fantastic drug but you also have to have the desire to quit and it will do wonders!"

Aprildh June 14, 2016

Buproban (bupropion): "Its not helping me,"

cdow June 12, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I used zyban years ago to quit and it did help but I started again after I went off it. I have been trying to quit for the last year but haven't made it past a few days. I am 36 and have smoked since I was about 20, 16 years of damage to my lungs. I decided it's now or never I just want to be a non smoker so badly. I went and got a prescription for zyban 4 days ago and started immediately. So far I feel ok on it, I definitely feel different, time feels slower and I feel like I'm observing things differently in somewhat removed. Today is my first day taking two pills and I'm a little worried I will feel messed up on the medication but gonna stick with it. I'm still smoking but plan on quiting within the next week."

Casey01 June 11, 2016

"I smoked 35 years before started on Bupropion. I took 150 mg for 3 days, then took 300 mg for 6 weeks, I quit on day 5. Quitting was pretty easy, the medication changes the way the cigarettes taste and also you will legitimately forget to smoke. When I went to stop the Bupropion I eased it back to 150 mg for 3 days and then 150 mg every 2 days for 6 days and 150 mg every 3 days for 6 days. I had no withdrawals from this drug. I have successfully quit smoking for 4 months now. I think about them less and less and have had no physical urges to smoke since the first week I quit. The Bupropion worked great, my daughter has also quit using this medication. Highly recommend."

Know Smoking June 11, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "Smoked for 22 years I was one of thise smokers who tried to quit lots but then resigned to the excuse that I loved to smoke. Just over a week ago I mentally decided that I was not a smoker. I started zyban on the second day I quit and smoked 2 that day, one the next, and half the next. That last half, I knew it was the last. As with these other stories I was addicted. Tried everything. Champix, patches, quit help lines and support etc so I was sceptical but determined. I really can not believe how well it has worked. I'm not grumpy, no cravings and no side effects as yet. I also take the gum with it but it's not a need just a back up. Can't recommend this enough."

C.Lee (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "i took zyban 5 yrs ago after less then 2 weeks cigs tasted like sh//////t then went for 5 weeks without the ever touching a gig then the misses left me so i started again i was smoking so heavy that now i find it hard to breath i did try champix bit it did nothing for me no urge to stop what so ever im now back on zyban and as i aint got a missus thats less stress for me to worry about im only on day 4 now it took about 10 days last time b4 i hated the taste of a cig and was butting them out half way through so im guessing 14 days that is my quit time hopefully they will like sh////t b4 then i need to give up so bad my lung has collapsed 3 times still smoking at 60 as for side effects i had none"

paulypop (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2016

"This drug did nothing for the intended prescribed purpose several times. I stopped smoking with my bodies own drug, Endorphin's! With me I needed to produce this to counteract the addiction of nicotine. Worked like a charm. I rode my bike non stop for a few months in the Summer of 2004. Coming up on 12 years smoke free from a 30 year childhood obtained addiction. I've never knew how much this poison was stealing my life."

Panty Bottom (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

"I am a solid pack a day smoker, if not more on some days. I am currently in the 3rd week of taking wellbutrin. The first week I took one pill/day (150). This did nothing but make me tired, no desire to quit smoking, because I love to smoke. The second week I went up to 300, still tired, no desire to quit. It was a few days into the second week that I went from 1 pack of cigarettes to a 1/2 pack (I had to time my cigarettes, still love to smoke). I am currently in my 3rd week (almost 4th) and I'm down to 5/day. I just smoked a cigarette and for the first time in my life, I felt nothing. I still feel a little empty, still want to smoke, but this definitely helps take the edge off the quitting process."

luvmy2boys May 5, 2016

"I'm only on day 2 of taking bupropion SR, 150 mg. I have not really notice any side effects so far I also take velaxafin for severe anxiety. Just wondering how long does it take effect on helping with quitting smoking? My doctor first put me on bupropion xl 150mg but it did absolutely nothing so now trying bupropion SR..anyone try this and has it helped with the quitting smoking?"

Traywhit (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

"Smoking since last 20 years. Initially I tried to quit smoking in 2008 with Chantix. But had worse experience in second week of medication. Since then I was hesitating to request my doctor to prescribe me... Finally last week again I made my decision to start taking medication.. This time with Bupropion HCL... I used to smoke a pack everyday..This is my second week and I already cut down to 1/4 of my pack....hopefully 3rd will be more positive.... Thank you all for sharing your reviews..."

Jeff2016 (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I smoked for thirty years. I thought I'd die with a cigarette in my mouth. If tried everything and I still went back to smoking. Zyban was my last chance. I smoked at first and started to taper off. If there were side effects I don't really remember them. It took three weeks before I had the guts to not smoke. I list the cravings rather quicker than I thought possible. I haven't smoked for 12 years now. I still can't believe I'm a non smoker. Even at the worst time in my life I still never felt like a cigarette. I can honestly say I'm not a reformed smoker. I truly a non smoker."

Michelle G April 7, 2016

"Bupropion sr help me to quite tobbaco. within 10 days. now 2 years are completed with smoking. thanks !"

p shah (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "When I first took Zyban, I was confident it wouldn't work. I smoked much more than I used to during the first week, and then suddenly I couldn't smoke at all. After 3 months on Zyban, I have been extremely happy that I finally beat this addiction. I'm no longer taking the medication and do feel like I want a drag or two. All in all, I would say it is a miracle drug...no matter what people tell you, it IS worth it. Be sure to follow what your doctor tells you, it's plain and simple: 2 tablets per day for 9-12 weeks and you will never ever smoke, if that is really what you want. I hope it helps everyone the same way it helped me."

MK7 April 5, 2016

"i was given bupropion by my g.p. to quit smoking and for anxiety and stress. i did the 150mg a day for 1 week and was fine,but after the first week it was time to double the daily dose to 350mg it was bad i could`nt control my thoughts or stop fixating on a task i was`nt myself at all.i went back to 150mg and after a week i just stopped smoking i knew that last one would be it and its been going on 4 months and i have`nt smoked you have to want to quit. or never want to go through the hell of those pills again.give it a chance and stick with it.its hard but it worked 20+ years and i really feel better i don`t even think about it anymore even when people smoke beside me i just don`t feel the need anymore,its really amazing"

anonymousmike (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "In my 3rd week of taking Zyban. I smoked as usual for the 1st 2 weeks 1 pack a day. Slowly I started smoking less frequently and only half a cigarette at a time. I am now not smoking at all and more importantly I dont even think about smoking. I have trouble falling asleep at night....but so far thats the only side effect I am experiencing. I am finally on the road to being a non smoker for the 1st time in 24 years."

3 week taking Zyban. March 31, 2016

"I was a smoker for 35 years, I took 150 mg of Bupropion for 3 days and 300 mg for 2 more and decided to quit on day 5. It still took effort on my part but the Bupropion was extremely helpful with the withdrawals. I am now on day 35 and I continue to be a nonsmoker. I have had a few side effects such as slight insomnia and night sweats. Interestingly if you review nicotine withdrawal side effects, they are similar. I have been in a good mood since taking this medication. My doctor plans to keep me on this for the next 3 months to insure all of the nicotine is out of my system. Overall - Very positive experience."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

"Didn't like it, but it did work. I felt like it brought out the worst in me. I got mad pretty easy, and had some weird thoughts. Deep thoughts that I would not normally think of. I took bupropion for 11 days and just could not keep feeling like I was and quit it. I guess you have to give up something to quit and I gave my mind for a little."

N8 (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "This pill is amazing ,I really think its the magic pill ,I'm smoke free now ,thanks zyban"

Anonymous February 28, 2016

"I'm currently on day 6 of not smoking. Day 3 was the worst day of all but I stayed busy and worked through it. Quitting smoking isn't easy. I tried everything on my own and almost quit trying until my doctor gave me the Bupropion. Bupropion has helped tremendously but I still went through withdrawals and I still had to apply the effort to want to quit and do my part to say no to the cravings, and i have to work through the emotional side of day 3 and finding new things to do with my free time. Once you make it past day 3 everyday gets easier and easier. You just have to be determined you want to quit then work to achieve your goal."

Determined ;) (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

"I've smoked from age 17 to 33. I've tried the gum, cold turkey, exercising and eating right to stop the cravings. After a friend told me about her experience I had to try it myself. I've been on welbutrin for 10 days and I feel amazing! I've had mild side effects such as insomnia the first 3 days and a few weird dreams...but after the 5 day I felt like a new person. I have no craving to smoke and my anxiety level to smoke during a stressful situation is tolerable. I recommend this to those who need help with quitting smoking."

Hubeljess February 20, 2016

"Just started on Buproprion. On day 2 with no side effects. Still smoking but this morning waking up I didn't rush outside to smoke. We will see how it goes."

JasonExAlmost (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "After trying many things, such as chewing gum, patches, hypnosis etc., to stop smoking, I took zyban in June 2000. Before the end of the course I had stopped craving cigarettes and became a non-smoker. It took 9 days and I had no side effects at all. It was the best thing I'd ever done."

Sunderland Lady February 14, 2016