User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Zyban (bupropion): "I used to smoke at least 2 packets per day for almost 20 years. I severally tried to quit without sucess. It was in 2001 while visiting a doctor friend when I learnt about the wonder drug zyban and decided to give it a try. I took 1 tablet per day for 1 week and has never looked back. No claving and no side effects. After 1 week of no smoking at all, I gave the rest of the medication to a friend. The way I think zyban has a degree of success is when an individual also desires and is determined to quit. All I needed was 3 days of no smoking"

Ndiathi (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

Zyban (bupropion): "I have smoked since I was 12 yrs old. Started smoking daily at age 15. I am now 51. Quit a few times for 3 or 4 months but always went back to it. On day 2 with Zyban and still smoking but looking forward to finally quitting. First day I took one in morning. Felt a bit funny but also was getting pains in chest n arm. Not sure if this was just a panic attack or what but going to keep going. If it gets worse I will have to stop taking zyban. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it was nothing more than a panic attack."

Annonymous51 January 11, 2017

"It's been a wk since I started with Bupron 150 SR (generic bupropion). In the first wk, the cigs started tasting funny (metallic taste), & by the end of the wk, I could hardly smoke a full cig. Been a smoker for the past 25 yrs, It's definitely working, & works best if you stop buying packs!"

Matanay January 7, 2017

"Smoked for 43 years 2packs a day tried to quit with patch, hypnosis, chantex didn't work for me . I went on bupropion 2 times a day for three days bad side effects but after 3 days all side effects went away . I smoked for three weeks on the medication and quit. It was not hard to quit I was on the medicine for a total of 2 months quit the medicine and have been smoke free for 6 months ."

Alice car January 4, 2017

"I have been a smoker for over 25 yrs,smoke a pack every 2 days and its time to stop! My Dr prescribed this med to me over 2 yrs ago and I took one or two here and there,( mainly because I wasn't ready to stop smoking) Today I am ready! I have made a promise to my children and family that I want to be around to see them fulfill their dreams and watch my only grandson graduate from school. I watched my father pass away from lung cancer, oral cancer from smoking but yet I still chose to smoke. That should have been enough to stop me then. Today I am committing myself to stop this awful habit and be released from the cigaraettes hold of addiction. Good luck everyone on the same journey."

Sjnana December 16, 2016

"I am 52, I smoked my first cigarette in 1975 at age 11. By age 16 I smoked pack a day. When I was 32 I got hurt on the job and had 3 back surgeries. But to get to the point, I am disabled and see a pain management dr. I was on a different antidepressant before going on wellbutrin. But after a month on welbutrin my smoking habits changed. At 48 I had tried numerous times to quit with no success, and now I had no desire to smoke,, it was weird!! I smoked because I kept buying them, but didn't like them. On the way home from a trip I was talking with my daughter and told her at that moment, I promise too quit right then and never smoke again!!. Over 2 years later I am still smoke free and off welbutrin. Welbutrin did it for me..A GOD Send!!!"

My Hysteria (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 11, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "Ok. on day 4 of this medication. Started woth 150 mg per day for 3 days and now onwards its 300 mg. First of all, I'm not convinced this drug is worth it. Side effects days 1-3 included blurry vision, feeling spaced out. today it was bouts of crying and then burning sensation in abdomen and chest. I'm smoking 1 pack on this. God only knows."

Moolie December 10, 2016

"I seriously cannot believe how well this works. In fact, I started taking it for ADD and depression. After a week of taking it I noticed I suddenly have NO DESIRE to smoke cigarettes. So I thought maybe this medicine had something to do with it. Lo and behold it's ACTUALLY PRESCRIBED FOR SMOKING CESSATION. This is great!!! Hasn't affected ADD symptoms yet."

osu4239 (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

"Switched to welbutrin from effexor to eliminate sexual side effects. Definitely worked, and as an added bonus my smoking habit went from a pack a day to 2 packs a week!"

JEFFREY&STACEY November 22, 2016

"I am a recovering from a methamphetamine addiction. Methamphetamine attacks your dopamine receptors so trying to quit tends to send people into a spiral depression causing relapse. I've been taking 300mg of welbutrin Sr in the morning and 150mg in the evening. I feel great! No depression, no anxiety, actually I quit taking my 2 anxiety meds bc I no longer need them, no more short fuse, im happy and finally can return to normal living without being held from a horrible bondage. Im 27 went back to school received my degree in applied science paramedics. I know everybody is made different and medication can have different effects but I think it is a wonderful recovery medication"

Recovery meth addict (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 20, 2016

"I'm on my second day. Still smoking, definitely not as much. I'm a pack and a half to two packs a day. Been 33 years now, I'm 44. Anyways, first day not much different and I feel like I smoked more then normal. But today I smoked about 10, which is a drastic reduction for me. They taste awful and I actually can't stand the smell. I'm still on 150 mg, I start 300 mg in two days."

Cward72 November 15, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I have written 2 reviews about hair loss suffered because of this drug. This website had posted the second review I wrote but it has since been taken down. Sounds like this website is getting paid by drug companies to skew the results. NOT HAPPY! Obviously you're not going to post this. But you are ruining your own reputation by only posting certain reviews. It's obvious to the public."

zeezl November 13, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "Smoked for 30 years; nothing worked. Hypnotherapy, counselling, support groups, nicotine patches: nowt. My daughter worked for Astra-Zeneca, the company who make it; told me she'd heard good things. My GP said okay, it's the last-chance saloon, if I don't quit after a single 2-week prescription it's my funeral. As it were. Started the tablets as prescribed a few days before quitting; used nicotine gum the last day or so; stopped completely. And just didn't want to smoke. Yes, the cravings were there, and persisted for 4 days, but I said to myself well, they're no worse than a dose of flu, and I can hack that, so I put up with it. Been off now for 16 years, never wanted one since. The odd thing is I still dream I'm smoking, now and again..."

DeviJ November 4, 2016

"I spoke with my doctor about good ways to quit smoking, and since mine was primarily related to stress, we decided to try Wellbutrin XL. So far I am very pleased. The internal arguments regarding purchasing cigarettes which I kept losing previously, I am now easily replying, 'nope', and so have been able to quickly and simply ignore a craving. I have noticed some mental fogginess, and a bit of lowering inhibition because doing things which before would have caused more anxiety now receive more of a 'it's all good' attitude. Supposedly this is nonaddictive/habit forming, so I plan to speak with my doctor and wean myself off after a few months of no smoking."

ASGM November 3, 2016

"I have been taking generic wellbutrin (purple pill) for about 10 days. I did notice an extreme decrease in the urge to smoke. I still have it upon waking but mostly it's just habit so far. I'm nervous about withdrawals. I just moved up to the 2x/day. Since the beginning I've been crazy hungry all the time. I'm pretty thin and my metabolism has always been high so I'm hoping to gain a little weight. I was cranky the first few days. That's starting to wear off. I do have mild feelings of agitation and I'm foot tapping which I never did before. Idk if it's the underlying withdrawal from the nicotine or not though. I do have more ambition to clean and exercise and I am not usually that way. I am hoping to quit in the next week."

HopefullySoon November 3, 2016

"just started yesterday, Doctor gave it to me to use to quit smoking."

catfish2016 November 1, 2016

"I'm currently on day 4 of taking the generic Wellbutrin 150 mg. I was put on it to try and quit smoking because my insurance wouldn't cover chantix..Anyways I was very scared when I read side effects and I've never taken any kind of med like this before..but I'm currently loving how this medicine is working for me. The pharmacy told me to take it at bedtime..that only lasted the 1st night as I was up until after 4 am but now that I take it first thing in the morning it's fantastic. .I've never felt like I've had so much energy in my life and I'm actually down 6 lbs only 4 days in..(still have alot of baby weight to lose). I am still smoking but notice the urge decreasing!!"

Sarah12187 November 1, 2016

"Wow, it is nice to see that this med did wonders for a lot of people.I started this med because I have tried everything to stop smoking but always ended back up smoking due to hard withdrawal symptoms I would get .I also struggle with anxiety which only enhanced how much I would smoke or starting again after quitting.So I have not been bothered with my anxiety at all since this med,I also have no cravings for cigarettes,honestly thinking of them make me want to puke! I do have a strong happy euphoric feel with mild cloudiness in my head and my libido has increased too out of no where.The only bad thing I have encountered so far is a mild headache but went away with aspirin,and a mild cramp in my stomach not painful just bothersome and loss of appetite."

Dee19850824 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2016

"Been taking bupropion xl to stop smoking. Food and cigarettes started tasting funny and had nausea after 1 week. After 4 weeks I stopped smoking. No weight gain because everything tastes horrible. On week11, still not smoking, still nausea and a horrible taste."

Em Em (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "My partner took Zyban to help him quit smoking. Yes it did help him to stop BUT the side effects have been horrific. I WOULD NOT recommend anyone using this. For the past 5 and a half years he has suffered TERRIBLE mood swings, to the point that he frightens me and there has been a little violence (in the early days). He has had suicidal thoughts (and still does now occasionally). Our happy little family unit has almost been destroyed.......we are still together by the grace of God but for how much longer I don't know. I know his health has probably improved no end due to no longer smoking but his mental health has suffered greatly and sadly I don't know if things will ever improve."

Wife of a smoker (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I took Zyban when it was first released in 1997. For those wondering if it works ? My habit was two to three packs per day. Smoked non filters for 41 years. Even spent over a $ 1000.00 dollars trying to quit with other programs. Obviously no luck. Could not even slow down. Then I tried Zyban when it first came out, as a last resort. Thanks to Zyban the only way to loose your desire to smoke, I now am about to celebrate 20 years without one smoke. If you wish to quit and haven't been able use Zyban you will quit, if you really wish to. Michael a true believer"

Mikes Zyban reward October 9, 2016

"I am a 34 year old women and I have smoked off and on since I was 14 yrs old. I have tried and used everything under the sun to quit smoking. Chantix, Nicotine replacements, Allan Carr method, cold turkey...ECT. My biggest problem is when I quit smoking I fall into depression and severe anxiety. Tried Bupropian before at 150mg twice a day. My skin felt like it was crawling so this time the doc started me at 35 mg for 1 week than 75 mg for a month. I have had increased energy and I don't have the desire to smoke. I have been taking it for 3 weeks and stopped smoking today! It's worth getting through the side effects for the first 2 weeks!"

Brightstar101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "Started taking 150mg (so just the one pill in the morning) 3 days ago and I am shocked!!!! I've had more energy, less anxiety (I have anxiety disorder and panic attacks normally), feel happier AND I don't feel like smoking much....... I go hours without a smoke, yet I used to smoke 30 cigarettes a day! I'm only on day 3! Tomorrow I am supposed to step up to 2 pills, and I assume I won't want a smoke at all. Brilliant pill. Wish I could stay on it, as I feel amazing!"

Brinny (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

"Finally decided to get serious about smoking cessation so my Dr put me on 150 mg 2X Daily of bupropion. I don't get all these people saying it increased sex drive, since it completely destroyed mine. Less overall interest, impossible to maintain an erection, next to impossible to orgasm my wife of 30+ years has been a hero through this and has really extended herself to help me get "there"). I have to agree with an earlier post regarding the validity of these comments. I can find not one shred of SCIENTIFICALLY documented evidence suggesting that sex drive or ability to orgasm is increased when only taking this drug for help stopping smoking. Guessing it must be pharm. reps writing these reviews."

DW22 September 14, 2016

"I am a 26 year old female, I smoked for 10 years, about a pack every 2 days. I chose Wellbutrin, 150mg daily. I took it for about 5 weeks total. My plan was to take it and smoke for 10 days. And set my quit date for 10 days from day 1. By day 3, it was already getting easier to say no to the voice in my head telling me when it was time for a smoke. I found myself already cutting back 1 or 2 here and there through my day, which already in itself was a miracle. I was also infrequently using a Nicorette inhaler, 1-3 times a day. By day 10 I was ready to butt out for good. The nicotine withdrawal is the worst part - but overall has become the hardest yet easiest but best thing I ever did!!!!! :D"

Janbro12 September 13, 2016