User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Zyban (bupropion): "I had my first cigarette when I was seven years old, by the time I was 51 it had grown 35 a day . I tried patches, hypnotherapy and cold turkey, none worked. Cold turkey was the worse, it gave me pains in the stomach for 9 days in a row. I eventually went to my doctor for help and he recommended Zyban. Almost immediately it worked. Day 1 wasn't the best, but by day 4 I had the smoking habit licked. For me it is a miracle because I always thought that I would never beat it. But Zyban saved me. That was 12 years ago, I now know that under no circumstances will I ever smoke cigarettes again. I can' t thank the manufacturers or my doctor enough for my release of this evil addiction"

Ajax (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

"My doctor put me on Wellbutrin XL to stop smoking and it does nothing."

Justosmart (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2018

"A few years ago I wanted to quit smoking and my mother had a few bottles of Welbutrin SR. I knew it was used to help people quit smoking because my boss had told me that's what he used. I took it and ended up quitting for about 4 months then I ran out of tablets. Didn't have good insurance then. So fast forward to now here I am on day 5 of taking Welbutrin SR because I really want to quit smoking. I'm starting to feel like the cigs are starting to taste nasty. Still smoking as I know it can take 2 weeks to stop completely. However, I hope it works like it did the last time because I've been ready to quit. I just need to get my husband on board too. Only side effects I've been having is my hands tremble which will go away, I feel anxious even though I'm on 6mg of Xanax a day. I just feel like I don't know what to do. I feel a lot happier. I will update on my experience once I get a few weeks in. Last time it worked PERFECT!"

Nichole (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

Zyban (bupropion): "Ok, so I started taking Zyban about 2 weeks before my quit date. It helped me with cravings and also the anxiety, associated with not-smoking was gone. No side effects experienced."

Arsi (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2018

"I started this medication on April 12th. I took one pill per day the first week. My doctor told me not to quit smoking the first week. The second week, I started on two pills per day. After four days of taking two pills per day, I quit smoking. Had a few drags, but it tasted awful. Haven't smoked since and it has been 19 days. I truly consider this medication to be a miracle drug. I never thought in a million years that it would be this easy to quit. My next challenge - going on a cruise in June. Not sure how I will do when I have alcohol. We'll see."

madambuck (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

Zyban (bupropion): "Here it is the 11th day and I am not interested in a cig. Even after I ate. It's really weird because I don't have that anxious feeling I would get if I even went for an hour without. I lit one up today just to see if the nicotine would make me feel different. You know how it does after you've gone a long time without a cig, at a movie or or eating etc... I felt nothing. I can't explain how it's working but it makes me feel like I never was a smoker. I've been smoking for 30 years a pack and half a day! This medicine is freaking amazing!!"

Bill B (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2018

"It does relieve some anxiety over trying to go without smoking- the doctor says I have nicotine addiction more than smoking out of habit I'm usually calm & laid back, but since starting this Rx (@2 months ago) I am hyper & can only take one tab a day, & have had some trouble with my hands trembling. Never experienced this before Still think it's worth using though, as smoking is a killer & any help along the way to stop is worth it"

pegleg (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2018

Zyban (bupropion): "Smoked 30 years. Took Zyban while smoking for a couple weeks and kind of just forgot that I ever smoked. Mentally it made me nauseous to even think of a cigarette. Never looked back. It's been 20 years and the funny thing is that while I could never smoke a cigarette, ( I've tried a couple times just for fun and YUK ) I can occasionally smoke a cigar. Not sure why but I will say, Zyban will kill cigarette addiction. Of course you can find reasons to start again but it will be very difficult after Zyban. Worked the same for my wife. Do It !!"

Hosey O'Grady (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

Zyban (bupropion): "I took Zyban in 2001. The first 10 days was fine, but once I started taking 2 a day I went into anyphalactic shock and also had a seizure, which then landed me in the hospital. I was 20 yrs old and had no previous history of seizures. Also, once the hives went away, and the prednisone and Benadryl wore off from being in the hospital, I still had skin sensitivity and seriously bad joint pain for almost 2 weeks. I know this is rare but be careful. Now, just to be safe, I tell Dr’s and pharmacists that I’m allergic to Wellbutrin/ buproprion/ Zyban."

Idohair36 (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2018

"I've been taking Wellbutrin so far for 5 days to quit smoking and curb my appetite. Well I have cut down a little. Wellbutrin is lessening my desire to smoke. I've read some of the reviews that stated after 3 days cigarettes tasted bad; that is not so far what I have experienced. I also take Cymbalta 60 milligrams for depression. Both medications work well together for me. I'll keep you posted."

Janene March 10, 2018

Zyban (bupropion): "Smoked 30 years Never thought I could ever quit! Tried this product recommended by my doctor Felt a bit high and forgetful a bit my general patience was less But after 1 month I have stopped using Zyban and have quit 100% Really is a miracle pill!!!!!"

Pauly (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

"I was a "social smoker" for years and really enjoyed that occasional cigarette. Then I was prescribed Wellbutrin for depression, and shortly thereafter I noticed that I had zero interest in cigarettes. It was like someone had turned off a light. I mentioned it to my doctor a while later and she told me that Wellbutrin is sometimes used for smoking cessation. In the 18 years since then, I've probably smoked 3 or 4 times, and it just wasn't the same. Amazing."

RT (taken for 10 years or more) February 27, 2018

"I started this medication about 5 weeks ago to stop smoking. I have been cigarette free for a month. No cravings at all. My mood has improved. Maybe I had some borderline depression going on? I feel amazing. Happy, fun, and have a little more energy. I haven’t felt like this in a long time. I have lost 5-6 pounds in 5 weeks! Not sure if it’s decreased appetite or its causing me not to crave food. But I will take it either way. Sleeping great! Falling asleep every night fast and I wake up happy/well rested. 5- Increased libido- Maybe just feeling better overall causes this. 9/10 rating because of the initial side effects. I had an odd taste in my mouth for about 3 weeks, some nausea for the first few days, and night sweats for about a week. Again, could have been related to smoking withdrawal as well. I don’t want to stop this medication and plan to keep taking it even though I am no longer smoking."

SickofSmoke January 27, 2018

Zyban (bupropion): "Loved this product threw the cigarettes and pills away 2 weeks after starting. Best product ever it’s been 16 years for me."

Smokefree (taken for less than 1 month) January 1, 2018

Zyban (bupropion): "I smoked for about 20 years. I was up to two packs a day. My daughter was two, and I wanted to see her get married. I had to try something. I didn’t want to quit though, I loved smoking. Dr. prescribed two pills a day for eight days, one pill thereafter. After the eighth day, I filled my last pack with water. Through it out, and went to bed. In the morning it was like I never smoked in my life. No desire at all. Even the things that would normally set me off, didn’t matter. Amazing. Thank you to the makers of Zyban!"

Gary in powell, Ohio December 30, 2017

"I’ve been on this drug for slightly more than 2 weeks. The only reason I started taking this drug is to quit smoking, and it didn’t help at all. I got a few rages since I started it too, and this is so not me."

NohaD November 30, 2017

"Hi all...I would like to share my experience after 10 days of taking (Bupropion SR).. It seems to be working as my desire to smoke has diminished.. 1..After 7 days I started to experience insomnia only sleeping 4-5 hours nightly.. 2..I'm a coffee drinker & the taste for coffee is not the same.. 3..Lost appetite & I'm beginning to loose a little weight only 10 days in...Not complaining about that..lol.. 4..On day 8,9,10~ I began having dreams..(Not gruesome) dreams...Just crazy dreams & very vivid.. I honestly believe I can kick this horrible habit with help from this medication.. I've tried many times on my on and been a complete failure..You have to do your part,& want it bad enough to push through it..Give it a chance..Good Luck!"

Anonymous November 29, 2017

Zyban (bupropion): "So the drug works , I am 30 days smoke free . I only took zyban for 17 days and stoped taking it cuz I didn't feel myself . Also I was having trouble sleeping ."

Michalek6123 November 10, 2017

"The comment above is wrong, it is not banned in Europe. There was an issue with the *generic*, which was recalled. There was also a case involving the pharmaceutical company promoting off-label uses (can't recall where) for three medications including a diabetic drug and wellbutrin (bupropion) without FDA approval. They were fined. However the drug is not banned. I'm currently on Wellbutrin as an antidepressant and trying to quit smoking after a relapse. I haven't noticed any magical effect. I'm not craving badly but I am struggling. As with any situation, the bulk of the work has to come from you. I used Champix previously and it worked better in terms of reducing my cravings but it made me terribly depressed."

Leeph (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 3, 2017

Zyban (bupropion): "Smoked a pack a day for 20 years, moved to Zyban after Champix gave me some seriously dark thoughts! After 4 days of taking the pills, my smokes tasted funny, after 6 days I realised that I was only smoking because of the habit so I just stopped. It's taken away all the anxiety in quitting smoking. I've had a few side effects, but they've actually been ok. My mood is better, I'm going to bed early, sleeping well and waking up early, I feel very focused and motivated too. The only negative side is that it's dried my skin a bit and I get dry-mouth but I'm drinking 2.5l of water per day to fix that. It makes me a bit forgetful too, but that's ok. It's an anti-depressant, so it won't be great for everyone but it worked well for me!"

Timbo1604 (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2017

Zyban (bupropion): "I tried Zyban twice after smoking for about 20 years, a pack a day. The first time, I could feel my urge to smoke lessening, but after about a week on the medicine, one day I felt exhausted. I slept for 14 hours; the next day I woke up and felt so, so down and depressed. Since I had done my research prior to taking this, I knew what it was. I called a doctor, and stopped the medicine. A year later, I decided to try again. This time, I had no such thoughts. After about 5 days, I felt the urge to smoke going away, and on day 7, I lit one up, wondered why I was doing this, and put it out. Never looked back. I stayed on Zyban for about a year. That was two 1/2 years ago. No cravings. No cheating. Amazing."

A.E. Gnat October 4, 2017

Zyban (bupropion): "Pack a day for 20 years. Took zyban for a week then just smoked my last cigarette, threw anything smoke related into the trash and changed my thought patterns completely. Zyban is helpful but it's also a lot to do with your mindset. You have to WANT to stop. Give yourself a good reason and you won't smoke again. My suggestion is to keep taking the medication for a while, I completed a 3 month prescription and never bothered again. I can be around smokers, I can now see why non smokers HATE standing next to a smoker it is so amazing to have kicked this habit. Who cares if you used a pill, keep positive and change your lifestyle!"

Recoveredsmokaholic (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2017

"I was prescribed bupropion 150mg to help me quit smoking. I have been on the drug for 5 months now and It does help with cig cravings, I can go 5 hours and not even realize I haven't smoked. The issues with this drug is that it caused me to end up in the hospital with a really bad panic attack and it scared me because I never had a panic attack in my life, but it's my new norm. Another side effect is it makes me afraid to drive or be a passenger in the car. I imagine cars coming into my lane and hitting me head on, I honk my horn at almost everyone because it looks like other drivers are coming into my lane. I also get scared that my tires will blow out and I'll crash on the highway. I'm stopping this drug tomorrow and starting chantix"

KelBel86 October 1, 2017

"My partner and I have been on zyban to quit smoking for about 14 days now and we've been smoke free for nearly 5 days! I'm amazed at how easy its been, I hardly even think about smoking. I thought I'd still have to put in a lot of effort to quit but one day I woke up and I just didn't want to smoke anymore! There's been a few hard times but really its been amazing. I have suffered from insomnia since starting zyban but I don't really care because I'm smoke free!"

Mellehhh (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

"I went on this summer 2017. Has done the trick. Cigarette started tasting bad...Had a yucky taste when I smoked. I couldn't get that relaxing feeling anymore. Just made me smell bad. I had quit before the month was over. I wasn't a heavy smoker. Prob, 6 cigarettes a day. Hope this helps. I continue on Meds because it helps my depression."

Dietcokemom September 15, 2017