User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Zyban (bupropion): "Smoked a pack a day for 20 years, moved to Zyban after Champix gave me some seriously dark thoughts! After 4 days of taking the pills, my smokes tasted funny, after 6 days I realised that I was only smoking because of the habit so I just stopped. It's taken away all the anxiety in quitting smoking. I've had a few side effects, but they've actually been ok. My mood is better, I'm going to bed early, sleeping well and waking up early, I feel very focused and motivated too. The only negative side is that it's dried my skin a bit and I get dry-mouth but I'm drinking 2.5l of water per day to fix that. It makes me a bit forgetful too, but that's ok. It's an anti-depressant, so it won't be great for everyone but it worked well for me!"

Timbo1604 (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I tried Zyban twice after smoking for about 20 years, a pack a day. The first time, I could feel my urge to smoke lessening, but after about a week on the medicine, one day I felt exhausted. I slept for 14 hours; the next day I woke up and felt so, so down and depressed. Since I had done my research prior to taking this, I knew what it was. I called a doctor, and stopped the medicine. A year later, I decided to try again. This time, I had no such thoughts. After about 5 days, I felt the urge to smoke going away, and on day 7, I lit one up, wondered why I was doing this, and put it out. Never looked back. I stayed on Zyban for about a year. That was two 1/2 years ago. No cravings. No cheating. Amazing."

A.E. Gnat October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "Pack a day for 20 years. Took zyban for a week then just smoked my last cigarette, threw anything smoke related into the trash and changed my thought patterns completely. Zyban is helpful but it's also a lot to do with your mindset. You have to WANT to stop. Give yourself a good reason and you won't smoke again. My suggestion is to keep taking the medication for a while, I completed a 3 month prescription and never bothered again. I can be around smokers, I can now see why non smokers HATE standing next to a smoker it is so amazing to have kicked this habit. Who cares if you used a pill, keep positive and change your lifestyle!"

Recoveredsmokaholic (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed bupropion 150mg to help me quit smoking. I have been on the drug for 5 months now and It does help with cig cravings, I can go 5 hours and not even realize I haven't smoked. The issues with this drug is that it caused me to end up in the hospital with a really bad panic attack and it scared me because I never had a panic attack in my life, but it's my new norm. Another side effect is it makes me afraid to drive or be a passenger in the car. I imagine cars coming into my lane and hitting me head on, I honk my horn at almost everyone because it looks like other drivers are coming into my lane. I also get scared that my tires will blow out and I'll crash on the highway. I'm stopping this drug tomorrow and starting chantix"

KelBel86 October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My partner and I have been on zyban to quit smoking for about 14 days now and we've been smoke free for nearly 5 days! I'm amazed at how easy its been, I hardly even think about smoking. I thought I'd still have to put in a lot of effort to quit but one day I woke up and I just didn't want to smoke anymore! There's been a few hard times but really its been amazing. I have suffered from insomnia since starting zyban but I don't really care because I'm smoke free!"

Mellehhh (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went on this summer 2017. Has done the trick. Cigarette started tasting bad...Had a yucky taste when I smoked. I couldn't get that relaxing feeling anymore. Just made me smell bad. I had quit before the month was over. I wasn't a heavy smoker. Prob, 6 cigarettes a day. Hope this helps. I continue on Meds because it helps my depression."

Dietcokemom September 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I quit in 1998 because of Zyban. I credit this drug for helping me kick a pack a day habit that I thought I would never kick. I was skeptical, but after 2 weeks taking it, I didn't get the rush from that first morning cigarette. I didn't feel like I needed that soothing wave of calmness smoking gave me when I was stressed. I didn't feel rewarded when I lit up anymore. Without the soothing effects, I was left with the bad parts of smoking, the taste and the smell. I quit and have never started again since. I have heard stories from friends that had weird trips on Zyban and they sound downright frightening. This did not happen to me thankfully."

Piggysmacks September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I am suspicious of all these posts praising Zyban. I believe they're fake and paid for by Glaxo. This is not the place to tell my whole story but I will say this. This drug is a poison and it robbed me of over 10 years of my life. You do know it's BANNED in Europe. The most horrific experience of my life and I only took 3 pills! Beware. Beware. Beware. I think this is an toxic drug. DON'T TAKE IT."

HateZyban (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been smoke-free for 3 months now, thanks to Bupropion. I smoked for 22 years and was never able to quit for more than 3 days. I was ready to quit, but I knew I needed help. My Dr. suggested Wellbutrin. I got a prescription for Bupropion. The first few days I had a lot of cravings but stayed focused. After 4 days I noticed that it was actually easier to get through each craving. After 2 weeks, I didn't really think about cigarettes very much. Now, 3 months later, I hardly think about smoking, and if I do, it passes within a millisecond. Quitting is hard, but Bupropion made it easier to get through, and I feel happier too. I would definitely suggest this drug for anyone trying to quit smoking."

Dableuz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started smoking when I was 15. I am now 40. I tried many, many times to quit smoking and the only time I was successful was when I was pregnant with my son and daughter. I went right back to smoking after each birth. Last winter I noticed I would wake up coughing, sometimes so hard I couldn't catch my breath and my eyes watered. Finally, in March I asked my doctor for help. I started on 150mg bupropion once a day and didn't notice a difference for the first week. The second week I noticed that I wasn't smoking when I normally did (while driving, in the morning with coffee, after meals). Then one day I lit up and it tasted absolutely horrid. I literally threw my pack in the trash and haven't looked back. The smell alone makes me sick. :)"

Victoria1977 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "Okay, so I started taking this to assist me in quitting tobacco. You do have to WANT to quit but a lot of people have the effect where one day cigarettes taste like licking a dumpster. My brother quit overnight due to this effect alone. Now as for me I was hoping so bad that would happen it hasn't and I'm still smoking but I've cut back and now I realize this drug has made the nicking go away completely; now it is all habitual. My husband smokes so it's around.......he's going to quit next week. I went on a 7 hour airplane trip with my sleep deprived toddler. Absolutely no nicking; this drug is phenomenal in that way. I'm hoping the taste effect may still happen for me. I'm losing 6 lbs a week though. I do have GAD also."

TobaccoFreeGoals June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I quit in 1997 using Zyban. The only problem I had was my hands shaking and I went to 1 pill per day vs. 2 and I was fine. I never looked back and was so grateful for this drug."

Hoppy mommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this to quit smoking and while it helps with that a lot and took away cravings, my anxiety has increased a lot, rapid heart rate, overthinking things, can't focus, it does feel like I have more energy but overall its not for me I'm gonna have to stop taking it"

crypt (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I'm taking Zyban SR 150mg twice a day. I started with once a day for 7 days on May 10 2017. So I've been on on it for 12 days. I have stopped smoking which is the goal for 3 days. Should I stop taking this medication soon? The side effects are overwhelming. I am flush, chest pain, bad taste in my mouth, sweats, nausea, head feels foggy, ears are pain with fullness feeling, constipated, and more. Will the side effects go away?"

Rosesarred (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was able to get off an i.v. cocaine habit with the help of generic Wellbutrin SR 150 once daily; then increased it to twice daily. If you can leave coke alone for 2-3 weeks, it will leave you alone. Wellbutrin gave me just enough help to back off from the razors edge for that critical, first 2-3 weeks. As added insurance, I continued to take it once a day for about 1 year as a prophylaxis treatment to help prevent a relapse."

Anticoli (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was taking wellbutrin XL 150mg once a day. I started taking this drug for what was thought to be mild anxiety (which was from caffeine withdrawal) and to quit smoking. The first few weeks were ok (prob because my body was getting use to the lack of caffeine). After a while I began to feel really anxious due to physical symptoms I felt, ringing in my ears, trouble sleeping, lack of memory and attention, reflux, constipation, hemorrhoids, heart flutters, constant trembling, extreme anger and the inability to calm down, fear of being alone, and constant fear of dying. I have been off of the medicine for 7 days and feel great. Pay attention to any symptoms you feel and tell your doc."

Misspic (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg 4 one week then 300mg after the 1st week. Never liked 2 mix any meds with my pain meds (too scared) but I have to stop smoking cigarettes. I also need to lose 60 lbs so I can get this surgery. Hopefully I'll be successful. I'll definitely check back in & let you'll know what happens. Pray 4 me."

Joyiousjody April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I have only just got these. I can't swallow them- I did crush the first one ,I read you cannot do this I really want to try these I don't know whether to take them now "

Nicoooo123 April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on bupropion for 8 days and I have to say this pill is short of a miracle. The first 3 days, instead of smoking, I used the patch. Since that day I have gone nicotine free. A few side affects are I'm a little foggy brained, my hands are shaking and I'm awake between 3-4 every morning however last night I was able to fall back asleep within an hour where usually I couldn't so that may be going away, fingers crossed. Overall highly recommended"

Michelle2354 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I only now smoke after eating sometimes, and when drinking. Other than that. I don't smoke more than 3 cigs a day for the most part. I used to smoke a pack and a half a day"

Erin0423 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I started taking Zyban 4 weeks ago. I'm on the 12 week course of treatment. I've been smoking 17 years (started smoking at age 11) I'm now 28. I've tried quitting many times with patches and the gum and even tried the vape cigs. My quit date was March 16th and I have cravings but they don't bother me. It's weird but it's just like a quick thought that pops up and then you are like nope not today and its over with. The main side effect I've had is drowsiness. I've slept a lot. After I take my dose, I literally pass out and wake up hours later. Also, I feel drained, but I'm thinking these side effects may be my body going through withdrawal. I have felt a little nervousness here and there. Overall, it's been good."

Tater923 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 37 years old and have been smoking since I was 12. I smoked 2 packs per day for the last 20 years. I started Bupropion XL 9 days ago 150mg in the AM. The first 2 days I didn't feel any different. On the 3rd day cigarettes tasted nasty. And I started to get a dry mouth. I continued to smoke for the 1 week. at the 1 week mark I started taking 300mg AM. Since I quit, I haven't had a single craving. I feel absolutely amazing. I have been experiencing some side effects though. I get dizzy and feel jittery about an hour after I take the medicine. Come the afternoon I feel fine. I would not have been able to stop smoking if it wasn't for this medicine. =)"

Bublz (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I'm taking contrave which contains zyban. Immediately my cravings were dramatically reduced. I was completely shocked because I've been trying to quit for 30 years without success. I'd always get the most unbearable tension headaches and give up. Finally I asked my doctor for help and she prescribed this. It's been almost a month now and I've only smoked a few times. It tastes horrible now and I'm not craving them at all now unless I get really stressed out. But when I do, I don't enjoy it anymore. I encourage you to try it. If you get side effects reduce the dosage til your body adjusts. Increase very gradually. Hope this helps! Good luck!"

delraybeachfl March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "I went to my doctor and requested a totally different medication. Medication to give me energy which support my quitting and keep me from putting on weight. Well he decided to give me Zyban. Zyban gave me the energy I needed to exercise, stay alert, keep my mind off the cravings and eat a healthy diet. I lost weight on Zyban. After 2 weeks smoking with the medication I had my last smoke. The cravings were incredibly minimal. Yes I still thought about smoking and I still do. But the cravings were bearable. I could manage. They were easy! Zyban made me realise quitting smoking is easy and can be done. I urge you to try if you haven't before. No negative feedback what so ever on this drug."

exsmoker2017 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyban (bupropion): "The first time I took Zyban was around 2004. I was on it for a week and I was amazed how it stopped the urge to smoke BUT the side effects were awful. I experienced anxiety and what felt like deep lows. I would wake up sobbing for no reason but at least I didn't feel like a cigarette! I'm in Australia and pretty sure that we take the same levels of 150mg twice a day"

Simon1511 March 11, 2017