User Reviews for Bupropion

Also known as: Aplenzin, Budeprion, Budeprion SR, Budeprion XL, Buproban, Forfivo XL, Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban

Learn more about Bupropion.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Zyban (bupropion): "Started taking 150mg (so just the one pill in the morning) 3 days ago and I am shocked!!!! I've had more energy, less anxiety (I have anxiety disorder and panic attacks normally), feel happier AND I don't feel like smoking much....... I go hours without a smoke, yet I used to smoke 30 cigarettes a day! I'm only on day 3! Tomorrow I am supposed to step up to 2 pills, and I assume I won't want a smoke at all. Brilliant pill. Wish I could stay on it, as I feel amazing!"

Brinny (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2016

"Finally decided to get serious about smoking cessation so my Dr put me on 150 mg 2X Daily of bupropion. I don't get all these people saying it increased sex drive, since it completely destroyed mine. Less overall interest, impossible to maintain an erection, next to impossible to orgasm my wife of 30+ years has been a hero through this and has really extended herself to help me get "there"). I have to agree with an earlier post regarding the validity of these comments. I can find not one shred of SCIENTIFICALLY documented evidence suggesting that sex drive or ability to orgasm is increased when only taking this drug for help stopping smoking. Guessing it must be pharm. reps writing these reviews."

DW22 September 14, 2016

"I am a 26 year old female, I smoked for 10 years, about a pack every 2 days. I chose Wellbutrin, 150mg daily. I took it for about 5 weeks total. My plan was to take it and smoke for 10 days. And set my quit date for 10 days from day 1. By day 3, it was already getting easier to say no to the voice in my head telling me when it was time for a smoke. I found myself already cutting back 1 or 2 here and there through my day, which already in itself was a miracle. I was also infrequently using a Nicorette inhaler, 1-3 times a day. By day 10 I was ready to butt out for good. The nicotine withdrawal is the worst part - but overall has become the hardest yet easiest but best thing I ever did!!!!! :D"

Janbro12 September 13, 2016

"Have been using Nicotine Patches for awhile now and cut myself back to 6 a day. Started Zyban 7 days ago taking 150 mg. for 3 days then 300. Now, am back up to 10-13 per day. They have started tasting funky just a little bit though. But that's only sometimes. Sometimes, after 1/2 the cig. taste is bad. But going from 6 to 12 or 13 is depressing me. Having agitation moments as well and trouble going to sleep. I'm wondering if desire for them will go away after awhile."

Troxianna September 7, 2016

"I am trying to stop smoking, as well as handling anxiety."

Ksea (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2016

"I used to dip Copenhagen snuff for many years. I entered a "smoking-cessation" class and Wellbutrin was the medication used in conjunction with the classes and nicotine patches. The doctor informed us Wellbutrin studies had found it affected the brain's activity for people addicted to nicotine similar to people with depression. We were advised how it could affect us mentally (i.e., warned to pay attention if we started having suicidal thoughts), and then we were given our prescriptions. It was amazing how it changed my behavior! Within a day or two I noticed the snuff didn't taste good to me anymore. After a week we began our nicotine patches, but I found myself tobacco-free by the time we began them. Highly recommended."

roblove65 (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2016

"I'm very motivated to quit smoking so on day one with cigarette in hand at 3:43am, reading drug reviews, I give it a 10. I seriously layed with my eyes closed listening to my husband breathe for three hours before I had to look up side effects...it appears that I'm not the only user still up. The boost in energy was wonderful all day long. I will to continue to take it and will stop smoking. I never thought I was depressed, but today I feel like moving and doing active things I would have laughed at yesterday, admittedly, that would be a life improvement. I am clinically morbidly obese due to my absolute love of food and tendency to binge eat. Today I have barely touched food. This May be the med for me for more reasons than I thought."

Wide eyed (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I don't understand how Zyban (wellbutrin) helped anyone stop smoking. I was on Zyban for depressions but have since been put on another antidepressant. Once I was on the other antidepressant was when my doctor told me about Zyban. I never noticed any difference in my smoking cravings while on Zyban. Maybe had I been told that Zyban could help with smoking cessation while on it, I may have quit. So far, I still love to smoke."

Smoother (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I took Zyban for about 2 months back in 1999. I had smoked for about 25 years before that and had tried to quit with no success. I was sceptical about Zyban because I was a hard core smoker, and was only half motivated to quit. Nothing changed for the first two weeks or so, then I thought I would limit myself to 3 per hou, next week the limit was one per half hour, then one per hour.Now I was about 5 or 6 weeks in. I stayed on Zyban, and would take a few smokes with me to work. One day on my way to work I was having a smoke and thinking about it and realized the only reason I was smoking now is because I was bringing them with me. I butted it out, and never looked back. I can be around smokers and not be tempted by it now too."

Nikkithetwister August 25, 2016

"I was prescribed Wellbutrin after breaking a dependency to prescription stimulants. I was able to break that habit but I couldn't get my head out of the fog and I continued to have cravings for adderall. My psychiatrist said I was probably low in dopamine and Wellbutrin could increase the brain's dopamine levels. Now, after about 1 month on 300mgs of Wellbutrin XL I can think clearly and I have no more cravings for stimulants. I thank God for this medication."

Dan9447 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I tried to quit on many occasions prior to using Zyban. My friend who smoked 2 packs a day quit using this drug which totally amazed me. I am a very cheap person and when a carton of generic cigarettes went up to $15.00 (which by todays prices is cheap, but not then) I swore I had wasted enough money harming my lungs. I started Zyban and set my quit date for 2 weeks. On the last day before that date, I was sitting around and realized I had not had a cigarette all day, and I haven't had one since. That was 19 years ago. I would highly recommend Zyban to quit smoking now before any more damage is done to your lungs. The cost of the medicine is no more than the cost of a carton of cigarettes for a month."

GrammaC (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2016

"I have been on zyban just over 2 months. During the first month I smoked between 1 and 5 a day (I used to smoke 15 cigarettes a day). Now I don't smoke any. The most significant side effect that has caused me stress is HAIR LOSS. I am a woman and it is giving me a receding hair line and thinning at the hair line, plus I'm losing hair all over my head. To the point where I may need to stop taking this drug. I like the mood lift zyban gives me. It also gives me more energy and more focus to get things done. I've had an increase in sweating, some loss of appetite, I've lost a little weight (I don't consider this a bad thing). I'm worried when the 3 months are up that a withdrawl may send me into a depression."

Eprious (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

"I smoke cigarettes for 10 yes.. I tried chantix before the side effects are horrible.... Went back to my doctor he gave me bupropion I've been smoke free for a month now and don't think about or desire a cigarette anymore..."

SmokeFreeNow (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 7, 2016

"Well I'm on day 4 of this medicine. And before I was a pack a day smoker. The medicine has made me feel kinda crappy, very tired, no appetite, and weak feeling. But I've only had 2.5 cigarettes today and it's 5:30pm... After the second day I felt like when I smoked I felt worse, now they taste like crap or just have no taste and I'm like why am I smoking these... I hope my body adjust to the pills so I stop feeling like crap, but so far the quitting smoking thing seems like it's working..."

Srh233 August 2, 2016

"Made my depression worse, had to stop it....."

Scatty (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2016

"27 and been smoking heavily for about 2 years but couldn't stop on my own. I've been taking bupropion (purple pill) for about a month now. 1 a day for week 1 then 2 daily. With in the first 2 days I went from smoking 10-12 cigs a day to 3-4. I am also a daily 420 user. The meds cut those cravings way down too, which might be why I was started to feel anxiety so my doctor increased my dose to 340mg. After about 4 weeks I was cig free. I think I'm in week 6 now. I don't crave cigs at all, but for the last week I have been feeling very nauseous when I eat, the worst part is the aggravation/anger. The smallest things get me very angry. I used to me very mild tempered, you could say a push over. These meds made me a b*tch. Now I'm weaning off."

420girl June 29, 2016

"I have been smoking for 14 years, since I was 12 yrs old, I am now 26 years old, I also have anxiety and depression problems, with out knowing buproprion was used also to help quit smoking, I quit smoking on my own, the urge was gone, but I had been wanting to quit, a lot of this is will power but's much easier while taking the medicine, I was happier (the medicine) and whenever I smelt a cigarette it was disgusting I hated it, buproprion has that effect on you. I would definitely recommend the wellbutrin (buproprion) it also helps with the mood swings that occur from quitting."

Emerline (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2016

"I love this drug for several reasons: it really helps with my anxiety and depression AND seriously helped me quit smoking. I take 100mg twice daily and it is the SR. The first few days it didn't change the way cigarettes tasted or the way they made me feel but that app changed on the 5th day. I lit up and it tasted absolutely terrible that I couldn't take more than 2 drags. I had a small road trip the next morning and out of pure habit, lit up in my car and same thing! It's the nastiest taste! It's been weeks now and I seriously don't even think about smoking anymore(only when I think about how happy I am that I finally quit). It's a really fantastic drug but you also have to have the desire to quit and it will do wonders!"

Aprildh June 14, 2016

Buproban (bupropion): "Its not helping me,"

cdow June 12, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "I used zyban years ago to quit and it did help but I started again after I went off it. I have been trying to quit for the last year but haven't made it past a few days. I am 36 and have smoked since I was about 20, 16 years of damage to my lungs. I decided it's now or never I just want to be a non smoker so badly. I went and got a prescription for zyban 4 days ago and started immediately. So far I feel ok on it, I definitely feel different, time feels slower and I feel like I'm observing things differently in somewhat removed. Today is my first day taking two pills and I'm a little worried I will feel messed up on the medication but gonna stick with it. I'm still smoking but plan on quiting within the next week."

Casey01 June 11, 2016

"I smoked 35 years before started on Bupropion. I took 150 mg for 3 days, then took 300 mg for 6 weeks, I quit on day 5. Quitting was pretty easy, the medication changes the way the cigarettes taste and also you will legitimately forget to smoke. When I went to stop the Bupropion I eased it back to 150 mg for 3 days and then 150 mg every 2 days for 6 days and 150 mg every 3 days for 6 days. I had no withdrawals from this drug. I have successfully quit smoking for 4 months now. I think about them less and less and have had no physical urges to smoke since the first week I quit. The Bupropion worked great, my daughter has also quit using this medication. Highly recommend."

Know Smoking June 11, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "Smoked for 22 years I was one of thise smokers who tried to quit lots but then resigned to the excuse that I loved to smoke. Just over a week ago I mentally decided that I was not a smoker. I started zyban on the second day I quit and smoked 2 that day, one the next, and half the next. That last half, I knew it was the last. As with these other stories I was addicted. Tried everything. Champix, patches, quit help lines and support etc so I was sceptical but determined. I really can not believe how well it has worked. I'm not grumpy, no cravings and no side effects as yet. I also take the gum with it but it's not a need just a back up. Can't recommend this enough."

C.Lee (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2016

Zyban (bupropion): "i took zyban 5 yrs ago after less then 2 weeks cigs tasted like sh//////t then went for 5 weeks without the ever touching a gig then the misses left me so i started again i was smoking so heavy that now i find it hard to breath i did try champix bit it did nothing for me no urge to stop what so ever im now back on zyban and as i aint got a missus thats less stress for me to worry about im only on day 4 now it took about 10 days last time b4 i hated the taste of a cig and was butting them out half way through so im guessing 14 days that is my quit time hopefully they will like sh////t b4 then i need to give up so bad my lung has collapsed 3 times still smoking at 60 as for side effects i had none"

paulypop (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2016

"This drug did nothing for the intended prescribed purpose several times. I stopped smoking with my bodies own drug, Endorphin's! With me I needed to produce this to counteract the addiction of nicotine. Worked like a charm. I rode my bike non stop for a few months in the Summer of 2004. Coming up on 12 years smoke free from a 30 year childhood obtained addiction. I've never knew how much this poison was stealing my life."

Panty Bottom (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

"I am a solid pack a day smoker, if not more on some days. I am currently in the 3rd week of taking wellbutrin. The first week I took one pill/day (150). This did nothing but make me tired, no desire to quit smoking, because I love to smoke. The second week I went up to 300, still tired, no desire to quit. It was a few days into the second week that I went from 1 pack of cigarettes to a 1/2 pack (I had to time my cigarettes, still love to smoke). I am currently in my 3rd week (almost 4th) and I'm down to 5/day. I just smoked a cigarette and for the first time in my life, I felt nothing. I still feel a little empty, still want to smoke, but this definitely helps take the edge off the quitting process."

luvmy2boys May 5, 2016