User Reviews for Bupropion to treat Smoking Cessation

Also known as: Wellbutrin XL, Wellbutrin SR, Aplenzin, Budeprion Forfivo XL Budeprion SR

Bupropion has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 266 ratings for the treatment of Smoking Cessation. 76% of those users who reviewed Bupropion reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Bupropion Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Smoking Cessation.

Reviews for Bupropion

JLL12887 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2021

“Started at 150mg-300mg a month later. Week three of this drug made cigarettes taste dirty and smell awful. I can’t finish one or even crave one.”

Bout - ye - boy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2020

Zyban (bupropion): “20 years and still going strong”

Worked November 13, 2020

“I was prescribed wellbutrin XL for anxiety and to quit smoking. The first 3 days I felt very energetic, productive, but had some insomnia. After day 4 I was fine. Day 9 I was finished with smoking. I was smoking out of habit. If it was there, I wanted one. I threw them in the garbage and have had NO CRAVINGS! if they were in front of me, I'd probably want one out of habit. But I feel totally fine without them. It a miracle!!!”

Shell · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2020

Zyban (bupropion): “I was prescribed Zyban for depression & smoking cessation. I had been on a different antidepressant immediately prior for 1 month (during which my depression had worsened) I had immediate relief from depression upon starting Zyban- for about a week (until other drug had left my system) In the last 3 weeks, there has been little effect in alleviating depression and NO effect in reducing craving for smoking, Somehow managed to put on a few kilos in the month I took it. Not a good drug for me.”

Torii · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2020

“Today is day 2 of bupropion 150x1 and continue this for 1 week then move up to 300mg mornings, I'm trying to give up smoking. I am a very heavy sleeper and need 8 hours to have a good day. Last night I woke several times and hard to go back to sleep. I had to start counting until I fell back asleep. I have seen it should take at least a week to see/feel a change. I have a low tolerance for medication as well. I was diagnosed with depression, I have low libido, I smoke, overweight and lack of motivation to do stuff around the house. I also have already noticed a change in smoking less and eating less in 2 days. I will try to make another review after 1-3 months as an update.”

Joy · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2020

“I smoked 2.5 packs of cigarettes a day and my husband smoked 3.5 packs of cigarettes per day. I took Wellbutrin for 2 weeks and stopped smoking with my husband smoking right next to me on the couch! My husband took it for a little over 3 weeks and stopped smoking too! In the next 2 years we got a new house and a new car from the money that we saved! Thank you Wellbutrin for changes our lives!”

Joseph · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2020

Zyban (bupropion): “I used Zyban as prescribed in 2001 and quit for 15 years until 2016 when both parents passed away which I hit the hardest difficult time of my life. I tried hard to quit but its been 4 years and now its June 2020. Today I picked up my new prescription starting in the next couple of days and I'm going to beat this habit for a long time. All I wanted to say, the med works like a miracle. The 1st day, I had a small urge to lit up a cigarette and after puffing for couple of minutes, the taste was unbearable. Had no side-effects and loved the feeling of not being drawn to smoking every 10 min. Its one of the best meds out there to stop smoking but depending on your body chemistry, tolerance and nicotine withdrawal. Definitely worth taking it to get your life back to normal.”

Phephe1976 · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“I began taking bupropion almost 2 weeks ago for smoking cessation. A week after I began taking bupropion, my blood pressure began skyrocketing (165/116 was highest, but average of 145/103) and my pulse rate running extremely high (sometimes around 145 bpm). I quit taking bupropion 6 days ago and I am still suffering the side effects. They are slowly tapering off and are less intense; however, my blood pressure and pulse are still running higher than normal and in waves throughout the day. I spend most of the day in bed for fear of spiking my bp to dangerous levels as it has done several times over the last few days. I awake every morning feeling as if I am having to fight off sedation to wake up. I have major headaches and am unable to open my eyes for several minutes. Each day I am off the buproprion my symptoms improve; however they are still present. As far as aid in smoking cessation, it was useless. In fact, my cravings intensified while taking bupropion.”

Gert · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2020

Zyban (bupropion): “I stopped smoking on January 22, 2019. Used Zyban as prescribed for 2 months and had no need to take my prescription for a third month. This was my first quit attempt and today after 485 days of staying quit I am prepared to carefully announce ( never let the guard down ) that I think I have beaten a 30 year long addiction of 25 plus cigarettes a day. Together with a strong desire to quit, Zyban helped a lot, and I would recommend it for sure. As the King of Norway said upon quitting, I also want to say " It was disappointingly easy " ( Wonder if he used Zyban )”

Carrie · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

“I smoked for 25 years (anywhere from half a pack to a pack a day) and tried to quit several times and always failed. As of Feb 9 I started taking bupropion xl 150/a day. I kept smoking with a quit day of March 1st. The closer I got to the 1st, I was nervous but to my surprise....it worked! I even left ashtrays and cigarettes around. I just didn’t smoke and I wasn’t bothered by it at all. Crazy! Today I am 7 days in smoke free and honestly this is the longest I have ever made it without a cigarette and look forward to it continuing :) I should also add in that my desire for alcohol has diminished too. It just doesn’t taste as good. I definitely recommend giving it a try!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

Zyban (bupropion): “I'm glad I'm not alone after reading some of the comments and side effects. The first week was fine with 1 pill a day, second week I took 2 pills a day, yes I had no cravings however I couldn't function normally, I felt mad, anxious, couldn't sleep, was grinding my teeth and couldn't focus. Today I didn't take the second pill and I feel normal for the first time in a week. I decided not to take it anymore I'll buy the patches. It's too bad because it does eliminate your cravings”

CIGYFREE · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

Zyban (bupropion): “Been on Zyban for 3weeks... have been smokefree for a week now.. still can't believe it!!!! No urges. No cravings. I'm done with cigarettes... Only take 1 pill a day...”

fishinmiss · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

“I have been a heavy smoker for 46 years, I honestly never thought about quitting because I never believed I could. I have been taking a dose of 150 mg bupropion for 14 days, on day 7 tried taking 2 and it was so scary. Dry mouth so bad my lips were cracking, couldn't swallow, my eyes & nose were so dry, insomnia, and total panic. I immediately went back to 1 pill a day as I saw many of you state you could not take 2. After 46 years, I don't care if it takes 3 or 6 months to quit smoking, with my severe anxiety disorder I have to only take one. I have started keeping track of how many I smoke and have gone from 2 + packs a day to 12 - 17 a day. Praying this works because I know quitting is best for my health. Thank you all for your reviews it has certainly helped me to feel more positive even if it takes longer than usual :)”

bbt · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

“Day 6 of taking bupropion, it took all the pleasures out of smoking and I no longer want to smoke. However, one thing I didn't expect was it also took the joy out of weed! I no longer have any vices and feel stable mentally without them, thanks to this drug. I've now realized I've been regulating my brain on my own (maybe because of depression?), and it's been really detrimental to my life. Taking this pill is really helpful for me and I really hope I don't have any of these scary side effects others are mentioning.”

Frooo · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

“I started taking wellbutrin 3 days ago. About an hour after taking the first pill, I had completely lost my urges to smoke. I tried to smoke a few times and it just did nothing for me - it was like I was almost forcing myself to smoke, so I gave my last pack away and haven't had a cig yet today, and not a single craving. CRAZY! It's also taken away my desire to drink alcohol and to binge eat. I don't feel hungry but not sick either - It's like I have NO food cravings, so I can just eat whatever and it's fine - so my choices have been much better.. I've been smoking for 3 years and unsuccessfully tried quitting a bunch of times. My BF is a chain smoker and we always shared a cig - now I have no desire whatsoever. I am beyond thrilled. Just hoping It keeps working like this for me. It's like it kills a bunch of birds with one stone. love it.”

Emma · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

Zyban (bupropion): “My daughter after two weeks of taking this "medicine" spent on January 3, 2020 a day and a half in the Emergency Room after collapsing at home in an epileptic seizure when she stopped breathing. I do not wish anyone to feel helpless when you hold your limp adult child in your hand, eyes wide, without signs of life, without any movement of the diaphragm, and without heart action when you think this is the end. I would also like to thank all the rescue services that were involved in her rescue at that moment, from the fire brigade to the rapid ambulance, I am sure that without their help and quick action it would not work well! It was necessary to stabilize the heart because the heart rate was extremely fast and critically high. The brain CT then revealed four consecutive seizures, which led the doctor to decide to entrust the daughter to the care of a neurologist in a larger city. Please take this message as a warning against this medicine Zyban and its offspring Wellbutrin.”

Don’t have one · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

Zyban (bupropion): “I was warned I would loose 1 or both legs due to smoking in 1999 & my GP offered this drug only & only if I was serious about stopping smoking. As a 2 course treatment I was told I would be tested after 4 weeks for staying away from smoking. First course I tried & after 8 days began to smoke dramatically less after being a 40 a day for over 20 years. 2nd course went well and after 20 years I have not had a cigarette since. Some times I used to stand beside some one smoking for a quick sniff but never felt like restarting. If your GP offers this treatment grab it with both hands.”

pawqui · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 6, 2019

“I've been on bupropion for eight years...on day two I stopped smoking and haven't even thought about going back, in fact the smell of tobacco offends me. What seemed to happen was that nicotine suddenly had no effect, like the medication blocked the reasons I was smoking. Now I use the drug as a sleep aid. Another benefit was the decline in the urge to drink.”

Liz November 14, 2019

“First of all if the drug bupropion makes you worse, tell your doctor immediately. I tried many things to quit smoking. Nothing really helped. Wellbutrin definitely helps you quit smoking. I’ve been on it for about a month. I do not crave cigarettes like I used to. I can’t finish an entire cigarette. I tried to quit cold turkey prior to taking Wellbutrin, but doing cold turkey the withdrawals were horrible. I ended up slipping into that bad habit. Give Wellbutrin a chance especially if you want to quit smoking. After a month you will notice that the urge to smoke decreases significantly.”

Hopeful · Taken for less than 1 month November 5, 2019

“So this is only my 4th day to take the wellbutin XL 150mg to help me stop smoking. I feel so down, been crying randomly. I don't like this feeling, does this get better? After 7 days I will be bumped up to the 300mg. I want to just quit taking it. I'd rather smoke a cigarette than to feel this horrible. Any advice would be great”

CM · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 3, 2019

“Two weeks after taking bupropion to stop smoking I was still smoking. Out of habit. Not because I wanted one. When I realized I was powering through in order to keep smoking, I decided to quit I did. I put the smoke down and haven’t smoked in 3 weeks. After 38 years of smoking at least a pack a day. Medication makes withdrawal and desire go away. But you still have to want to quit. Awesome!”

Nsk November 2, 2019

“Today is the 10th day after I quit smoking. This pill helped to overcome withdrawal symptoms. But last night it struck in my throat , I had horrible time..till it melted down slowly. Gulp some water before taking the pill and take the pill with a tleast a glass of water”

Pounder October 20, 2019

Zyban (bupropion): “I will admit that the drug helps you quit. Unfortunately I probably slept only a couple of hours a night while I was taking the drug. It all came to a head when I had a seizure at work and fortunately my colleague found me under my desk convulsing and luckily I didn't choke myself with my tie. Scary times.”

namron October 19, 2019

Zyban (bupropion): “After trying everything I could find and following 40+ years of smoking, my GP helped me and prescribed Zyban. Now 11 years later I am so grateful after all my unsuccessful attempts with every kind of cessation aid I could find.”

Mike October 18, 2019

Zyban (bupropion): “I use Skoal (moist smokeless tobacco used to dipping) I took zyban for 8 days 1 first three days then two the rest I run out of skoal and said today’s the day I was dipping 3 cans a day I haven’t had a dip in 20 days I wish I’d done it sooner added it up I was giving tobacco company 3600 a year. Zyban 150 mg is a great drug to help stop you dipping tobacco.”

Learn more about Smoking Cessation