User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Schizophrenia

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Intramuscular

Olanzapine has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 98 ratings for the treatment of Schizophrenia. 32% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

5.1/10 average rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Olanzapine

jesyrz · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2021

“This medication did work. It took away the voices and hallucinations. However I gained 20 pounds. My labs started coming abnormal. Trying a different med because of overall health concern.”

Li · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2021

“I was on Olanzapine 5 mg for 3 months & have noticed no difference to my schizophrenia symptoms. Also gained 5.5 kg & I am upset about it, I didn't understand why I put on so much weight until I read this page reviews. I also had numbed legs at night which cause me great discomfort & so I cold turkey went off pills & have been having insomnia since.”

Nocturnalanimal · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Did nothing for my paranoid delusions and intrusive thoughts but sure did make me gain a ton of weight! Which in turn made me feel even worse.”

Tinkerbel · Taken for 10 years or more September 9, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa saved my life with schizophrenia. It cleared the utter chaos, despair, hallucinations, voices, bipolar mania, accelerated and disruptive thinking, unfocused mental confusion, flat out psychosis - in a matter of a day. I took 15 mg.”

Geoff November 4, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was on Zyprexa at 25mg (had Psychosis) for a few months, literally, the worst months of my life, all I wanted to do was eat and sleep so tired and foggy and I had no motivation so glad I ignored doctors and got off it as soon as I possibly could. if there was an option for Zero I would give that this stuff is utter garbage.”

Ash · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2020

“I had been taking seroquel for many years, I was tired all the time, slurred speech, slow reaction to things, after being back in hospitals for a relapse I was given olanzapine and the difference was immediate. I was able to hold conversations longer, I was alert, I could remember more and had more energy than before. Yeah I gained about 30 pounds buts thats ok because my memory is much better, I don't sleep all day like I did on seroquel. This drug was a blessing. My family sees the difference and my friends say I sound better, because before talking with them on the phone I had always sounded out of it, thou I did not know. It was as if I was a zombie living day in and day out while taking seroquel. My life has changed for the better since my dr changed my medication to zyprexa aka olanzipine. Thank you so much to whichever company created this medical miracle.”

NoJustNo March 28, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I take 10 mg of zyprexa at night and it makes me feel like it I've been chemically lobotomized. Not to mention the irritability And being tired all the time. This medication made me sleep for 10 whole hours and I still feel sleepy after waking up. Also my motor skills have been cut in half, I keep stumbling over stuff like I'm drunk and having blurred vision all day. This medication is a mental handicap in a bottle. How in the world does this help out with schizophrenia and depression?? I would not recommend this medication to anybody. Eli Lilly should be ashamed of themselves.”

bjohn33 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Like other drugs, zyprexa has different effects on different people. For me, the drug was a life ruining experience. When I was on it, (for a psychotic episode) I had severe side-effects, including sedation, emotional numbing and life threatening metabolic deterioration. With a psychiatrist's help, I cross-titrated from it to Latuda. However, I happened to be in the fraction of people that has severe repercussions from discontinuing Zyprexa. With withdrawal, I had severe insomnia, which half a year later, has only mildly improved. I have had to be on Ativan to get some sleep, and there are many testimonials to the same experience I've had -- Zyprexa can for an indefinite period of time disrupt sleep regulation. Because of this, it should not be tried unless newer antipsychotics with a more focused receptor profile have been attempted.”

Anonymous January 1, 2009

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “This medication killed my schizophrenia in two months. But I gained 20 pounds which is okay considering I was a little underweight. The worst side effect was that my eyes would not move. Finally a doctor told me to cut down my dosage from 10 mg to 5 mg and this lowered the occurence. When I lowered it to 2.5 mg the side effect completely went away. Now I feel great and the schizophrenia is still gone. I recommend Zyprexa but the doctor has to be really careful with the dosage.”

Toka September 26, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I feel very sleepy, very tired. I got brain tumor. It might be side effect of Zyprexa or hydroclorizoride a water pill. Because of Zyprexa I gained a lot of weight and got high blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol.”

Anonymous January 18, 2009

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I've been taking Zyprexa for just over a year now and have seen dramatic improvements in my life. I used to be incredibly paranoid of people, was hearing voices and was delusional about my physical health. I'm on 20mgs of Zyprexa and most of my symptoms have cleared. Some of them remain, but they're much more tolerable than they used to be. The only drawbacks I have noticed are weight gain and slowed reactions but I'd rather live through those side effects than experience what I did before treatment.”

Costa pork · Taken for 10 years or more September 21, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “This drug saved my life, I had been on almost all atypical meds with no luck. Now I have been on 40mg of zyprexa for 10 years with no relapses, and have even managed to hold down a job. I gained 20 pounds and an now a type 2 diabetic, but it was worth it. My family and friends noticed rapid improvements within a week of starting zyprexa. A little hint, when starting zyprexa, ask your dr to prescribe benztopine, it prevents many of the negative side effects of zyprexa. I hope this review helps some one :-)”

Kj9 January 11, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was given 20mg Zyprexa in the hospital. This drug is horrible. The side effects hit me hard, severe dizziness, dry mouth. Now down to 5mg feel like my life is draining out of me with sweats, dizziness, trouble doing anything. It's not like I just dropped to 5mg. I went 7 days 20mg, 7 days 15mg, 7 days 10mg, 7 day 7.5mg and I'm currently on 5 mg day and I feel like screaming. I wish I never was introduced to this med sorry”

A.A · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 19, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “It has some initial side affects like feeling dizzy. But all in all after more than 7years I totally like the drug. I have been on 5mg for about 5years now. I took 5mg all through my pregnancy based on doctors advice and I gave birth to healthy baby girl 2 years ago. I was also able to breast feed because the drug was not found in my breast milk due to low dosage I was using according to doctor's report.”

mickwicken July 15, 2019

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “For 5-6 years I have taken Zyprexa for schizo affective disorder . Weight gain isn't a problem if you lift weights 5x5 and eat lots of protein during the day and a casein shake at night. You might still gain weight but it'll be muscle as long as you cut out carbs and sugar while eating more protein than your body weight and a lot of fat that'll do it...”

Bilbo · Taken for 10 years or more January 9, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I have schizophrenia. I was on 40mg of Zyprexa for 14 years, lots of side effects such as 70lbs weight gain, high cholesterol and triglycerides, diabetes, and it made me sleep like you wouldn't believe, 10-12 hours a night. But it did work well for my anxiety and psychosis. However, after 14 years it lost effectiveness. I started having hallucinations again. It took me 3 years of a slow taper to get off it and the withdrawals have still been a nightmare, all kinds of weird symptoms (which have all disappeared now) but the main problems remaining are anxiety and insomnia. I never had insomnia problems before or during the use of this medication. I've been off it for almost 2 months now and am still experiencing anxiety and insomnia. I was switched to Latuda which is a phenomenal medication, no side effects and total effectiveness for my schizophrenia.”

morgs · Taken for 10 years or more October 27, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I started taking Zyprexa 10mg in 1996 until in 2017 which is when I began tapering due to health reasons. I am now down to 2.5mg but have gained a lot of weight, pain in joints, inability to sleep well, anxiety for no reason, memory loss, inability to think, no motivation, crying for no reason, terrible pain in my arms, muscle cramps in my feet, pancrititis, constant eating, lack of feelings and enjoyment. Extremely difficult to get off it, it ruined my life!”

Olanzasucks · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2020

“I was on olanzapine for six months and I can safely say it ruined my life. I felt disconnected with myself on this drug, it definitely didn't help me with my situation, instead I got food cravings and headaches. I gained a lot of weight and it has taken me 8 years to lose the weight I gained with this drug, and I still have a ways to go. It is an awful drug and should never be prescribed. Just look at the numerous side effects.”

Villain May 4, 2021

“I took it for 9 months for a Psychotic episode and I stopped taking it suddenly. I developed a numb tight pressured head, my brain feels like mush and like permanent brain damaged, it’s been like that for 3 years and probably be like this for the rest of my days. If you do take it when you come off it wean off it slowly, or just don’t bother taking it.”

Bella April 27, 2021

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I am very grateful for Zyprexa. I had a very scary problem of not being able to sleep for a long time, resulting in psychosis. This happened twice in my life within a couple years of each other. The first time they put me on haldol and depakote. I was in so much pain I could not move, and at the same time the depakote gave me horrible shakes and no filter when talking. Worst of all I still had a lot of trouble sleeping. I was lucky enough to taper off them completely eventually and my sleep returned to normal. However two years later I lost my job and could not sleep, the same thing happens. I was put on 5mg Zyprexa and 10mg Lexapro. In less than a week I was stable and sleeping (very) well. Yes I gained weight but I have learned to control it. I am now doing well and down to 2.5mg. I think the key is a smaller dosage. I read some people have 15mg, I think I would have a lot of trouble with side effects too if it was that much. Maybe ask your doctor if you can do 5mg or less.”

27yearoldmale June 19, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I take 7.5mg a day for schizophrenia, I have only been on this medicine for 5 weeks but it has helped me immensely with both negative and positive symptoms. I have gained weight but its a small price to pay for some peace of mind, honestly couldn't be more grateful for this medicine.”

Blu129 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 29, 2020

“Olanzapine is a sick joke and should never be given to humans full stop. It causes catastrophic weight gain. So if you want your six pack to disappear and you walking round like a no life with extra weight take this”

Lorri · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 16, 2019

“Don’t know what would of happened if I hadn’t been put on olanzapine, I was in a terrible state, seeing things, hearing things, suicidal and a complete mess. Olanzapine has saved my life, yes I’ve gained weight but hey ho I’m better”

Mom November 4, 2020

“My son suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and has been on olanzapine for 3 months. After a month the medicine took effect and he seemed calmer and less delusional. But it lost its effectiveness by the third month and he started talking aggressively, delusional, irritable, uncontrollable movement in his mouth, lack of sleep and then he had a seizure recently! Olanzapine is only a temporary short term fix and it can possibly cause brain damage. I wouldn't recommend it all.”

Hana · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 19, 2020

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa worked for me to some extent. My paranoid thoughts and anxiety almost completely went away, however I had some negative side effects. One major negative side effect was weight gain. This caused me to feel very insecure about myself. I had very poor eating habits and I would crave foods that I wouldn't normally crave, especially in the night time. I'm not sure if this is common or uncommon, but while I was taking Zyprexa, I felt emotionally numb. I couldn't feel emotions like I did prior to taking the medication. My sleep was also regulated while taking this medication, but I would sleep for long hours and would have difficulty waking up in the morning. I don't take Zyprexa anymore. It did help with some of my side effects relating to my mental illness, which I am glad about, but I feel that it caused negative effects in other aspects. I think we need to weigh the pros and cons because most medications won't be "perfect" without any side effects.”

Turtle December 15, 2020

“I hate olanzapine. When I started taking them, together with risperidone, which I'm off now, I couldn't really talk or gather my thoughts in any cohesive way, I'm tired and sleep two to three times a day. My dose is 20 mg, 10 in the morning, 10 evening. I can't really say anything to their effecziveness because I have had one psychotic (probably marijuana induced) episodes, and now its been two years since that. I feel like my brain is shut down. I don't really have any thoughts about anything except my anxieties anymore. Can't wait to stop taking them.”

DatMexicanLalo April 4, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Before I took Zyprexa I was hallucinating due to lack of sleep and exhaustion. While I was hospitalized I denied my medication and wouldn't take it but as soon as I took Zyprexa and Remeron my sleep got better. I stopped hallucinating & hearing things. Thanks to my medication I haven't been hospitalized for psychosis since I've been given Zyprexa.”

Strawberry January 15, 2021

“This drug olanzapine has not helped me at all. My obgyn put me back on this medicine when I had my baby so I won’t get sick again but I didn’t have any symptoms and I wasn’t taking anything for 2 years before I was pregnant or while I was pregnant. This is the worst medicine I have ever taken. It takes all of your energy away, I was paranoid taking the medicine and I was so lazy. I don’t know who made this drug but it made me feel slow. I wouldn’t recommend this drug to anyone.”

Learn more about Schizophrenia