User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Schizophrenia

"This drug calmed me down within an hour. Thoughts became more moderate in most respects over a longer period of time. Having been taking it for four years, my cognitive skills have improved due to improved social functioning. My advice is to give it a chance. Be prepared to tolerate some physical drawbacks for the sake of improved mental functioning and cognitive gains based on stability of mind. It is true that some forcefulness will be lost from your thoughts, but you may want this. Depending on your state of mind, this drug could be a life saver."

Wills45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

"Less agression, no weight gain, no increased appetite, taken 5mg for 8 months. Happy, normal,active life now."

Medical turnaround (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "An amazing medication considering the earlier antiphsycotics available, I think its more expensive that could effect availability. I do suffer from shaky hands but its the only side effect noticed.I take 20mg at night, it doesn't make me sleepy, no weight gain or hangover effect. Don't increase the dose it doesn't help it just gives restless legs and I was informed a dangerous to increase"

Nutty Rich (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2016

"This med caused so much weight gain I gained 20 lbs a month."

Cactustomato (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

"In a few months I exactly doubled my weight -- constant ravenous appetite. Started on 40mg a day. But after 15 years of taking it & fighting confusion & appetite & somnolence, even when I got it to 2.5mg and lower, I still had the same objectionable side effects. Would have been better to take it short term (maybe 3 months) instead of years. VERY VERY hard to taper off of it no matter how slowly you do it. I don't think I would ever take it again unless it was a life-or-death situation."

nylorac9633 September 30, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was hospitalized after psychotic break proscribed Zyprexa 20mg at first the medicine was ok my paranoia and schizophenic thoughts went away. But after about two weeks i started to notice the side affects weight gain was the most obvious gained 40 pounds in two months and sleep i was sleeping 9-12 hours a night it was difficult to wake up in the morning. During the day i felt unmotivated and at work i had no energy even after drinking an energy drink.lowerd my dose to 5mg it didnt make difference. after about 6 months i had enough decided to try an other medication now i fell much better. bottom line Zyprexa was the worst med ive ever tried.If you want to try this med beware you will gain weight."

Goodfella90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

"I have been on this medicine for about 2-3 weeks now and although I missed a dose a couple of times it has helped me greatly. Before going onto this medicine I was awake for 3 days straight with racing thoughts/extreme anxiety and agitation. I still have anxiety but I feel more calm and collected. In terms of treating psychosis I have given this medicine a 7/10 (so far) because although I am getting some paranoid thoughts still, it has enabled me to think more clearly and rationalize them better. They are no where near as intense as they were before starting this medicine. I was talking to objects and saying strange things to myself in the mirror... this no longer happens and I feel more 'normal'. This medicine is great in a number of ways."

LiamGamerr August 23, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This drug has turned down the volume on a lot of my voices. Which is great. I sleep better and take more naps during the day. Also notice my appetite increased which is where I think people mean they gain weight on this med. I just exercise an hour a day. My mood is kinda flat lined."

schizoeffective (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Everything is worse so much worse this medicine has intensified everything and I have a ton of side effects"

Sick within well it's mine (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "Made me dizzy."

justin4939 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

"Works great for schizophrenia like symptoms, still have some traces of voices however but the symptoms are VERY suppressed and not noticeable. The medication changed my aggression symptoms into neutral/muted emotions. Sex drive is completely gone. Cannot have orgasms and I gained 30 pounds in a month. I have a problem controlling my eating on this medication. I barely feel the sedation from whence I had first started. I highly recommend this medication for psychotic symptoms. I am currently on 20 mg per day before bed."

jl4190 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Kept my schizophrenia in check but way too sedating. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months, hard to wake up in morning, going to try something else."

Rivvi98 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2014

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "Good for emergency situations. Versatile, quick acting, wish it came in 10mg tabs."

Nicholasfromnc November 23, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I take Zoloft, Zyprexa and dothiepin. All very effective."

kim from sydney (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have tried many meds Seroquel, Risperidone, Abilify. Seroquel have me peeing all night long, burning sensation like urinary tract infection. Abilfy sex was good but give me anxiety, fast heart rate, light headed feeling, fainting and insomnia. So far Zyprexa is the best for me. Sex is ok, having problem with sensual sensation, dizzy sometime. Now I am on 2.5 mg I still feel dizzy even without it you feel better if you take the pill. Weight gain 30lb. Triglyceride high."

Steven12345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2012

"Great results."

Unio (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Got this medicine and was amazed at how I recovered. I wasn't paranoid, was relaxed and loved life. Until I kept taking it for a couple years and all the symptoms returned I now am withdrawing, which is a nightmare. "

Laserjik (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Controlled my thought process, moods and hallucinations, helped my insomnia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I take 7.5mg a day for schizophrenia, I have only been on this medicine for 5 weeks but it has helped me immensely with both negative and positive symptoms. I have gained weight but its a small price to pay for some peace of mind, honestly couldn't be more grateful for this medicine."

27yearoldmale June 19, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Before I took Zyprexa I was hallucinating due to lack of sleep and exhaustion. While I was hospitalized I denied my medication and wouldn't take it but as soon as I took Zyprexa and Remeron my sleep got better. I stopped hallucinating & hearing things. Thanks to my medication I haven't been hospitalized for psychosis since I've been given Zyprexa."

DatMexicanLalo April 4, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "The medicine brought my wife's symptoms under control finally. Was very sedating to the tune of her sleeping 14 hours per day. We are trying Invega instead but Zyprexa is always the fallback plan because it works."

bww7 March 4, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I am currently on Zyprexa and I have been using it for a year. My life completely changed. I have less fear and I am more relaxed. The only thing though is I experienced fatigue whenever I woke up. But so far, the results were great! My doctor did a good job!"

Anonymous August 7, 2011

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This drug may be that comes from Heaven, but you must have insight in order to you may have no barrier to take this nearly perfect drug."

yhmya October 22, 2009

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "I like it that it dissolves in your mouth just like M&M's, but I don't like the tranquilization of this medication."

Anonymous August 7, 2009

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I found the disintegrating velotab very easy to swallow, but the medication was too sedating."

Rol July 24, 2009