User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Schizophrenia

"You all seem like a bunch of moan bags. Sick and glad of your misery. Suck it up and get it on. ITS AN AID NOT A HAPPY PILL. We were born with this condition and it is there to help us."

Snto April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My quality of live has improved significantly on this medication. It has calmed my voices a lot and helps me to sleep at night. The weight gain is a problem but I guess I don't mind it because I am feeling so much better. The hallucinations and delusions are less frequent and I can think clearly and get on with other things. I also don't wake up with that hangover-like-effect in the morning. I think I have found my miracle drug."

Darkhorse (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It has been a long and dreadful road but has been getting better ever since I first took it, voices are going away ever so gradually but they ARE going away. Used to not be able to watch TV because the hockey game always seemed to be about me and my insecurities (if i watched anything on TV it was hockey). Hate to have it happen but I grew from 150 pounds to 190-195 pounds and from either a waist size of 30-32 to 34.. and I didn't seem to be eating very much more then what I used to, although after I eat something big I get hungry a lot quicker than what I used to. I think once I have the symptoms all gone it will be easier to hit the gym anytime I want again to get back to 150. Overall, the voices are there daily but will be gone soon enough"

Invis (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Worked great for me. Not only did it control my perception of reality, it also takes away the strange emotional attachments that I was having. It made me go from sitting on the couch hidding, to working full time as an electrician, sometimes up to 10 hours a day, something I thought I would never be able to do again. There were only two problems. I was unmotivated, I didn't have any passion for life. I was just going through the motions. However this is much better that being psychotic and suicidal. In the 9 months I was on the medication, I gained almost 100 pounds. This happened even when I was eating the same amount as before I was medicated. Again, this is far better than being angry and paranoid."

Naboo Bear December 20, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience with this neuroleptic is actually a combination of olanzapine 25mg with quetiapine 50mg. My thoughts are definitely not as agitated,am not as angry as i used to be,sometimes though,i feel false,looking at the world,but not really a part of,i know strange..I do not hear voices from my condition.I also take dexedrine for adult ADHD. This drug combination forces you to bed within an hour or so,do to extreme fatigue. I've been taking these antipsychotics for over 2 years.."

Hamerman (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wasn't prescribed Zyprexa for OCD, but for psychosis. But since I developed OCD on this med, I wanted to warn people. Before Zyprexa I was slightly perfectionist and obsessive, but because of Zyprexa I developed full blown OCD (upon withdrawal). Ever since using Zyprexa I can't function because of obsessions and many other problems that started with Zyprexa. I changed into a completely different person: angry, sad, obsessive, controlling, unkind. Zyprexa is said to cause OCD in some 20% or so of it's users. Please stay away from it if you already have OCD...it may worsen it."

MarianVB October 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug calmed me down within an hour. Thoughts became more moderate in most respects over a longer period of time. Having been taking it for four years, my cognitive skills have improved due to improved social functioning. My advice is to give it a chance. Be prepared to tolerate some physical drawbacks for the sake of improved mental functioning and cognitive gains based on stability of mind. It is true that some forcefulness will be lost from your thoughts, but you may want this. Depending on your state of mind, this drug could be a life saver."

Wills45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Less agression, no weight gain, no increased appetite, taken 5mg for 8 months. Happy, normal,active life now."

Medical turnaround (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "An amazing medication considering the earlier antiphsycotics available, I think its more expensive that could effect availability. I do suffer from shaky hands but its the only side effect noticed.I take 20mg at night, it doesn't make me sleepy, no weight gain or hangover effect. Don't increase the dose it doesn't help it just gives restless legs and I was informed a dangerous to increase"

Nutty Rich (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This med caused so much weight gain I gained 20 lbs a month."

Cactustomato (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In a few months I exactly doubled my weight -- constant ravenous appetite. Started on 40mg a day. But after 15 years of taking it & fighting confusion & appetite & somnolence, even when I got it to 2.5mg and lower, I still had the same objectionable side effects. Would have been better to take it short term (maybe 3 months) instead of years. VERY VERY hard to taper off of it no matter how slowly you do it. I don't think I would ever take it again unless it was a life-or-death situation."

nylorac9633 September 30, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was hospitalized after psychotic break proscribed Zyprexa 20mg at first the medicine was ok my paranoia and schizophenic thoughts went away. But after about two weeks i started to notice the side affects weight gain was the most obvious gained 40 pounds in two months and sleep i was sleeping 9-12 hours a night it was difficult to wake up in the morning. During the day i felt unmotivated and at work i had no energy even after drinking an energy drink.lowerd my dose to 5mg it didnt make difference. after about 6 months i had enough decided to try an other medication now i fell much better. bottom line Zyprexa was the worst med ive ever tried.If you want to try this med beware you will gain weight."

Goodfella90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this medicine for about 2-3 weeks now and although I missed a dose a couple of times it has helped me greatly. Before going onto this medicine I was awake for 3 days straight with racing thoughts/extreme anxiety and agitation. I still have anxiety but I feel more calm and collected. In terms of treating psychosis I have given this medicine a 7/10 (so far) because although I am getting some paranoid thoughts still, it has enabled me to think more clearly and rationalize them better. They are no where near as intense as they were before starting this medicine. I was talking to objects and saying strange things to myself in the mirror... this no longer happens and I feel more 'normal'. This medicine is great in a number of ways."

LiamGamerr August 23, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This drug has turned down the volume on a lot of my voices. Which is great. I sleep better and take more naps during the day. Also notice my appetite increased which is where I think people mean they gain weight on this med. I just exercise an hour a day. My mood is kinda flat lined."

schizoeffective (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Everything is worse so much worse this medicine has intensified everything and I have a ton of side effects"

Sick within well it's mine (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "Made me dizzy."

justin4939 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works great for schizophrenia like symptoms, still have some traces of voices however but the symptoms are VERY suppressed and not noticeable. The medication changed my aggression symptoms into neutral/muted emotions. Sex drive is completely gone. Cannot have orgasms and I gained 30 pounds in a month. I have a problem controlling my eating on this medication. I barely feel the sedation from whence I had first started. I highly recommend this medication for psychotic symptoms. I am currently on 20 mg per day before bed."

jl4190 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Kept my schizophrenia in check but way too sedating. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months, hard to wake up in morning, going to try something else."

Rivvi98 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 14, 2014

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "Good for emergency situations. Versatile, quick acting, wish it came in 10mg tabs."

Nicholasfromnc November 23, 2013

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I take Zoloft, Zyprexa and dothiepin. All very effective."

kim from sydney (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 10, 2013

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have tried many meds Seroquel, Risperidone, Abilify. Seroquel have me peeing all night long, burning sensation like urinary tract infection. Abilfy sex was good but give me anxiety, fast heart rate, light headed feeling, fainting and insomnia. So far Zyprexa is the best for me. Sex is ok, having problem with sensual sensation, dizzy sometime. Now I am on 2.5 mg I still feel dizzy even without it you feel better if you take the pill. Weight gain 30lb. Triglyceride high."

Steven12345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2012

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Great results."

Unio (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 1, 2012

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Got this medicine and was amazed at how I recovered. I wasn't paranoid, was relaxed and loved life. Until I kept taking it for a couple years and all the symptoms returned I now am withdrawing, which is a nightmare. "

Laserjik (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2012

41 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Controlled my thought process, moods and hallucinations, helped my insomnia."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2012

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I take 7.5mg a day for schizophrenia, I have only been on this medicine for 5 weeks but it has helped me immensely with both negative and positive symptoms. I have gained weight but its a small price to pay for some peace of mind, honestly couldn't be more grateful for this medicine."

27yearoldmale June 19, 2012