User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Schizophrenia

"This drug has not helped me in any good way. I have gained weight I still hear voices I have become depressed and suicidal thoughts. I feel like I'm sitting at the bottom of the ocean. This drug is not helping at all. I can only imagine the damage it is doing to my body. I have poor bladder control. I slur my words and it drugs me out. My memory has become shocking. And everyday is a struggle to function. I'm so tired :("

Jolenia (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had a long history of depression, despair and anguish. For a long period of time I felt like I had failed. I was dying, not physically but we are more than physical creatures. I used to be extremely intense, This culminated in a psychotic episode and I was institutionalized in a psychiatric ward. I was told by a doctor to take zyprexa on the first night. Following this the next couple of days were a blur waking to eat and take medication is all I remember. Long story short, I have had the happiest, most productive and most stable years of my life, although I don't feel as intellectually sharp as once it is small price to pay I feel. But I am considering lowering my dose. Currently on 10mg at night."

firewalker (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This drug saved my life, I had been on almost all atypical meds with no luck. Now I have been on 40mg of zyprexa for 10 years with no relapses, and have even managed to hold down a job. I gained 20 pounds and an now a type 2 diabetic, but it was worth it. My family and friends noticed rapid improvements within a week of starting zyprexa. A little hint, when starting zyprexa, ask your dr to prescribe benztopine, it prevents many of the negative side effects of zyprexa. I hope this review helps some one :-)"

Costa pork (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a social worker trying to help Schizophrenic persons for the past over 4 years. Antipsychotics suitable and effective for one person may not be suitable for other. For instance, Olanzapine may be suitable and effective for some may not be suitable for others. Therefore it is very important to closely observe the behavior of the person. I know of couple of persons who have taking Olanzapine for at least over three years and it is working perfectly fine without weight gain and the blood reports are normal."

KB Wakhley September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was hospitalized because of a brief psychotic episode following some traumatic events in my life, one of which was contracting Stage 3 Lyme Disease. They put me on Zyprexa 5 mg. It worked for a few months, but the brain fog and lethargy was causing problems at work so I decided to taper down to 2.5 mg and then stop. I really wish my doctor told me not to go from 2.5 immediately to zero because the withdrawal has been an absolute NIGHTMARE. Scary dreams, non-stop anxiety, really jumpy, headaches, depression, and my brain fog has never been worse. I finally knuckled under and am taking 0.6 mg just to take the edge off. I don't want to discourage others seeking help but stay away from Zyprexa!"

theriddler (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa doesn't work well with any antidepressants - be careful - but it can work used together with lithium, depakote, or lamotrigine. The serotonin guided anti-depressants activate mania and rapid thinking, and fuel anxiety, drugs such as lexapro - taken with anti-psychotics - can be a nightmare. In mixed diagnostics such as schizoaffective, there are many bypasses and alternate routes - i.e., I take a minimum of risperdal, which helps with an additional foundation for more centeredness and 'structure,' - and keeps my head clearer on 1.5 mgs; and I also take 300 mgs seroquel XR, to act, not only as a bipolar safe keeper, but also as an anti-depressant. If you're looking for Olanzapine with an anti-depressant edge, try bipolar meds."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to hear conversations which were not real. I used to think people are actually following me and every body knew what I am doing. In other words, I felt very uncertain about my privacy. I have taken olanzapine for almost a year. I have completely recovered from hallicuinations. I am still taking medicines though. I am from Nepal."

bhai1 July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Although it started off good, this med slowly made me develop Akathisia to the point of it being unbearable. I started off on 10mg and it was increased to 15mg, by the end of it I wanted to amputate my legs just to make the feeling go away. I was 24/7 agitated, restless, constantly pacing around and fidgeting, getting into arguments and screaming at people. My doctor prescribed Clonazepam but it did nothing to take it away. Eventually I had enough and stopped taking Zyprexa altogether, and within only 3 days all of these symptoms disappeared and I was back to normal. By the end of it, even though I was only on it for 3 weeks, I had gained 30 pounds. Awful experience."

voskhod (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"You all seem like a bunch of moan bags. Sick and glad of your misery. Suck it up and get it on. ITS AN AID NOT A HAPPY PILL. We were born with this condition and it is there to help us."

Snto April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My quality of live has improved significantly on this medication. It has calmed my voices a lot and helps me to sleep at night. The weight gain is a problem but I guess I don't mind it because I am feeling so much better. The hallucinations and delusions are less frequent and I can think clearly and get on with other things. I also don't wake up with that hangover-like-effect in the morning. I think I have found my miracle drug."

Darkhorse (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It has been a long and dreadful road but has been getting better ever since I first took it, voices are going away ever so gradually but they ARE going away. Used to not be able to watch TV because the hockey game always seemed to be about me and my insecurities (if i watched anything on TV it was hockey). Hate to have it happen but I grew from 150 pounds to 190-195 pounds and from either a waist size of 30-32 to 34.. and I didn't seem to be eating very much more then what I used to, although after I eat something big I get hungry a lot quicker than what I used to. I think once I have the symptoms all gone it will be easier to hit the gym anytime I want again to get back to 150. Overall, the voices are there daily but will be gone soon enough"

Invis (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Worked great for me. Not only did it control my perception of reality, it also takes away the strange emotional attachments that I was having. It made me go from sitting on the couch hidding, to working full time as an electrician, sometimes up to 10 hours a day, something I thought I would never be able to do again. There were only two problems. I was unmotivated, I didn't have any passion for life. I was just going through the motions. However this is much better that being psychotic and suicidal. In the 9 months I was on the medication, I gained almost 100 pounds. This happened even when I was eating the same amount as before I was medicated. Again, this is far better than being angry and paranoid."

Naboo Bear December 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with this neuroleptic is actually a combination of olanzapine 25mg with quetiapine 50mg. My thoughts are definitely not as agitated,am not as angry as i used to be,sometimes though,i feel false,looking at the world,but not really a part of,i know strange..I do not hear voices from my condition.I also take dexedrine for adult ADHD. This drug combination forces you to bed within an hour or so,do to extreme fatigue. I've been taking these antipsychotics for over 2 years.."

Hamerman (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wasn't prescribed Zyprexa for OCD, but for psychosis. But since I developed OCD on this med, I wanted to warn people. Before Zyprexa I was slightly perfectionist and obsessive, but because of Zyprexa I developed full blown OCD (upon withdrawal). Ever since using Zyprexa I can't function because of obsessions and many other problems that started with Zyprexa. I changed into a completely different person: angry, sad, obsessive, controlling, unkind. Zyprexa is said to cause OCD in some 20% or so of it's users. Please stay away from it if you already have OCD...it may worsen it."

MarianVB October 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug calmed me down within an hour. Thoughts became more moderate in most respects over a longer period of time. Having been taking it for four years, my cognitive skills have improved due to improved social functioning. My advice is to give it a chance. Be prepared to tolerate some physical drawbacks for the sake of improved mental functioning and cognitive gains based on stability of mind. It is true that some forcefulness will be lost from your thoughts, but you may want this. Depending on your state of mind, this drug could be a life saver."

Wills45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Less agression, no weight gain, no increased appetite, taken 5mg for 8 months. Happy, normal,active life now."

Medical turnaround (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "An amazing medication considering the earlier antiphsycotics available, I think its more expensive that could effect availability. I do suffer from shaky hands but its the only side effect noticed.I take 20mg at night, it doesn't make me sleepy, no weight gain or hangover effect. Don't increase the dose it doesn't help it just gives restless legs and I was informed a dangerous to increase"

Nutty Rich (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This med caused so much weight gain I gained 20 lbs a month."

Cactustomato (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In a few months I exactly doubled my weight -- constant ravenous appetite. Started on 40mg a day. But after 15 years of taking it & fighting confusion & appetite & somnolence, even when I got it to 2.5mg and lower, I still had the same objectionable side effects. Would have been better to take it short term (maybe 3 months) instead of years. VERY VERY hard to taper off of it no matter how slowly you do it. I don't think I would ever take it again unless it was a life-or-death situation."

nylorac9633 September 30, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was hospitalized after psychotic break proscribed Zyprexa 20mg at first the medicine was ok my paranoia and schizophenic thoughts went away. But after about two weeks i started to notice the side affects weight gain was the most obvious gained 40 pounds in two months and sleep i was sleeping 9-12 hours a night it was difficult to wake up in the morning. During the day i felt unmotivated and at work i had no energy even after drinking an energy drink.lowerd my dose to 5mg it didnt make difference. after about 6 months i had enough decided to try an other medication now i fell much better. bottom line Zyprexa was the worst med ive ever tried.If you want to try this med beware you will gain weight."

Goodfella90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medicine for about 2-3 weeks now and although I missed a dose a couple of times it has helped me greatly. Before going onto this medicine I was awake for 3 days straight with racing thoughts/extreme anxiety and agitation. I still have anxiety but I feel more calm and collected. In terms of treating psychosis I have given this medicine a 7/10 (so far) because although I am getting some paranoid thoughts still, it has enabled me to think more clearly and rationalize them better. They are no where near as intense as they were before starting this medicine. I was talking to objects and saying strange things to myself in the mirror... this no longer happens and I feel more 'normal'. This medicine is great in a number of ways."

LiamGamerr August 23, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This drug has turned down the volume on a lot of my voices. Which is great. I sleep better and take more naps during the day. Also notice my appetite increased which is where I think people mean they gain weight on this med. I just exercise an hour a day. My mood is kinda flat lined."

schizoeffective (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Everything is worse so much worse this medicine has intensified everything and I have a ton of side effects"

Sick within well it's mine (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "Made me dizzy."

justin4939 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works great for schizophrenia like symptoms, still have some traces of voices however but the symptoms are VERY suppressed and not noticeable. The medication changed my aggression symptoms into neutral/muted emotions. Sex drive is completely gone. Cannot have orgasms and I gained 30 pounds in a month. I have a problem controlling my eating on this medication. I barely feel the sedation from whence I had first started. I highly recommend this medication for psychotic symptoms. I am currently on 20 mg per day before bed."

jl4190 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015