User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depressive Psychosis

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Intramuscular

Olanzapine has an average rating of 3.6 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Depressive Psychosis. 13% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 53% reported a negative effect.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

3.6/10 average rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Depressive Psychosis.

Reviews for Olanzapine

Ericsony · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 24, 2020

“Would seriously avoid olanzapine, as I totally lost my personality, feelings and enjoyment in life. It has had massive effect on my memory and IQ. I used to be really out going and quick witted. It really has been a chemical lobotomy. Devastated! I am currently coming off of it with the help of doctor. PLEASE BE CAREFUL THIS IS A DANGEROUS DRUG!”

Nickmame · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2019

“Olanzapine has taken away a lot from me. I was on it for psychosis at a dose of 17.5mg for a few weeks, tapered down gradually to 10mg over 6 months. While on the high dose, I could not remember things, I had to write everything down. I couldn't process information or do normal tasks that would have been effortless to me beforehand. And it left me feeling numb and dead inside. Since stopping, 2 years on, I have improved a lot but my memory is still poor compared to what it was and I don't enjoy things I used to enjoy or feel things I used to feel. I know that one day this drug will be banned, in the same way as lobotomies are no longer practiced, because in my experience taking olanzapine at high doses is the equivalent of a chemical lobotomy.”

SJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2019

“I was prescribed olanzapine during a drug induced psychosis. After my recovery and being hospitalised for over a month I was kept on the medication. This medication turned me into a soulless shell of the person I once was. After changing psychiatrists and explaining how I felt (depressed, suicidal, numb etc) she decided to lower the dose and change me to another anti psychotic. However I wanted to go off the medication. This started off slowly but as I came of the medication I slowly came back to life, I felt happiness in small bursts again, I enjoyed the sound of music and my suicidal thoughts disappeared. Avoid olanzapine at all costs. It will turn you into a zombie.”

Ara · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 10, 2020

“Olanzapine was the first drug I was put on and worked really well with psychotic symptoms and my mood. However, I was exhausted on it, sleeping all the time and I felt like a zombie. I was also always eating and ravenous and I had gained 12kg in 2 months.”

Please Save Me September 10, 2019

“Like a former commenter said, it's hard to feel any emotion while taking Olanzapine. Dumbs down your IQ as well. Along with gaining weight and an increase in diabetes. Scary enough that you can't cry....AT ALL while taking it. If you value what makes you human, stay away from this poison. No healing from this "medicine".”

Fifi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2018

“Olanzapine changed my life. I was suffering with insomnia, high levels of anxiety, depression and paranoia/psychosis. Within days of taking 2.5mg I was sleeping better, scary thoughts had gone and overall was feeling a lot better. The only downside is a gained about 5 pounds but I'd rather weigh more and than feel so bad. The benefits definitely out weigh the negatives. Now I've been on it for 3 months my weight has levelled out and I don't get as hungry. Overall would recommend if you are suffering with the same symptoms.”

K · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2021

“I was diagnosed with psychosis and PTSD I was put on olanzapine first 5mg then 10mg and now 15mg. At first it helped me with the voices and the depression and also hearing the birds talking to me. I’ve been on it for 4 months and within the first 2 I noticed a massive difference it helped me in so many ways, but then I started to struggle waking up I felt like the life was being zapped out of me. I went from 8st 8 to 12st. So I decided to take myself off of the medication and I have never felt so good. It’s like the spark has been put back into my life. I can do normal things and actually leave the house. I would say this medication gave me a new life but at the same time it can drive you into a deep hole you don’t know you are in.”

MammaMia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 31, 2020

“I have been on Olanzapine for 12 months. Originally prescribed due to Psychosis, brought on by acute stress. I thought I was psychic, getting messages from TV, Radio, rapid thoughts. The past year has been very difficult, I fell into a deep depression, I began using alcohol daily. The depression has eased but I am left with crippling anxiety and depersonalisation. If you have the option of avoiding this drug please do. It takes ages to come off it and lots of people struggle to sleep without it.”

Specht · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2021

“People seem to love this drugs when you're on it but once you have or try to discontinue it's the worst thing you'll ever go through. Worse than any street drug withdrawal I've gone through. Don't expect to sleep properly again without it, ever again. It's been months now.”

spynage October 5, 2018

“I had a psychotic epsiode about 10 years ago bought about I think by a history of depression and some traumatic life events. I had every symptom imaginable, inc mind control, paranoia, persecution complex, God talking to me through material objects like fridge turning on and off! Rapid thoughts, anxiety confusion, intrusive thoughts etc. Olanzapine with an anti depressent really helped me get a hold of myself. Works straight away. It kind of puts your emotions in a box and stops your thoughts running away with themselves. Side effects are, increased appetite, which leads to increased weight gain if you can't control it. Slight sedation. You will sleep well on them. Unpleasant frozen face syndrome. I couldn't really communicate emotions facially. Felt like I was wearing a mask. Depends on how much your charisma means to you. I hated this particular side effect. I think they need to be taken with a good quality anti depressant to counter the drowsiness and sedation. (sertraline)”

leeardamer · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2019

“Pros and cons. After 6 months on Clozapine, my prescription was changed to Olanzopine because I moved back to the UK where it is harder to prescribe Clozapine. After the change over, my sleep hours went from 12 to roughly 10 and my appetite maintained the same (I put on some healthy weight). Unfortunately I am more sensitive to stress, to the point where I did not continue with my summer job because the relatively small amount of stress I was under was enough for me to sometimes lose some lucidity while at work, or in some social situations. Though less tired, I have already experienced more paranoia than when I was on Clozapine.”

Mc November 23, 2020

“I was on zyprexa for about 6 months after I was hospitalized due to Depressive Psychosis. It was very helpful in calming me down and helping me sleep and getting rid of my paranoia and racing thoughts. I decided to try another medication because of the weight gain. I was insatiably hungry all hours of the day and would eat until I made myself sick. I gained about 50 pounds while on it and my doctors were worried that I would develop diabetes. Coming off of it made my insomnia much worse but other than that I don’t remember any other negative side effects. The only thing I would warn people about before taking this medication is be prepared for your appetite to greatly increase and to start gaining weight.”

Bearson_ · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2019

“I was put on this drug to help with hallucinations and voices along with the added benefit of helping me sleep. I would take the drug 30 minutes before I went to bed and would easily be able to sleep. Unfortunately after a couple of weeks the drug lost effectiveness. The drug caused me significant weight gain. I gained 6kg/14llbs/1st. This might be because I’m 17 so it had a more profound effect.”

Chachi · Taken for 10 years or more July 27, 2021

“Have been taking between 5mg - 2.5mg of Olanzipine for about 20 years. Was told it was good for anxiety, depression and a good mood stabiliser. Have tried to go off it many times over the years. The longest I’ve lasted is about 10 days. Dr also said it wasn’t addictive. I put on approximately 20kg in weight quickly after starting Olanzipine. Intend to get off this drug once and for all. It’s a horrible drug I wish I had never started it.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2019

“Took this for a week. Three stomach aches that lasted four hours. Never again.”