User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Agitation

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv

Olanzapine has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 25 ratings for the treatment of Agitation. 80% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 23 medications used in the treatment of Agitation.

Reviews for Olanzapine

Lil · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 5, 2021

“I found Olanzapine to be a fantastic alternative to benzos for agitation. I wasn't keen on taking benzos again due to risk of becoming addicted. I find Olanzapine kicks in quite quickly and definitely helps to calm me down if I'm feel agitated or anxious. I take this as well as a tetracyclic antidepressant. I find it does make it hard to wake up in the morning, but the plus is that I get a great night's sleep on this medication. Weight gain is a side effect, but I was underweight before taking it so that worked well for me. Of course it's always good to be aware of long-term side effects for atypical APs and I'm personally tapering off with my doctor now that my mental health is improving.”

Sawdust · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 12, 2020

“I have been taking olanzapine for about 3 years for anxiety and the associated agitation. I started on a low dose and this has gradually been increased to the maximum of 20 mg. Olanzapine has made a huge positive difference to my life. I am so much more relaxed, calmer and able to keep things in perspective. I am no longer stressed by minor stresses and able to cope with changes in my life much better. Before I started taking this drug I was getting extremely tense and wound up on a daily basis. Sometimes I was so nervous and on-edge I could barely make a cup of coffee with out feeling like I was going to crack up.”

Charles March 31, 2019

“Olanzapine has been really helpful for both justifiable and unjustifiable anger, irritation, anxiety. I've tried nearly every available drug for depression, anxiety, etc, but this one is the best in terms of benefit/side effects ratio. Helps moderately for insomnia, but best for when you are having difficulty controlling your anger... just seems to stop you from boiling over. Also helps reduce the fruitless rumination that plagues us over-analyseres.”

ZenDreams · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2020

“I started 5 days ago @ 2.5mg going up to 5mg tonight. Treatment resistant depression, possibly bipolar 2, OCD, constant anxiety with paralyzing racing thoughts/panic upon waking in the morning. I've been on everything including ECT/TMS full round. On vyvanse and klonopin for a long time, vyvanse only works to calm my mind for about 3 hrs then I get super anxious and take the klonopin. >cautiously optimistic, so far no panic upon waking, chest doesn't feel so tight, sleeping through the night, racing thoughts seem to be a bit calmer...oh and I went to a store and didn't feel paranoid that everyone was watching me....we shall see”

Pete · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2018

“This drug is amazing for me. I’ve had anxiety for 23 years. I was on klonipin for 13 of those years. I detoxed of klonipin. The worst 3 months of my life. Was put on zyprexa a few days later I’m about 80% anxiety free. My panic attack’s are gone. And the horrible muscle tension in my jaw, eye, neck, and nose is about 70% gone. I’ve learned from experience that not all drugs work for certain people. I decided to write this because it just might help you. God bless ”

Iverson25 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2019

“This drug olanzapine saved my life, I became agoraphobic for 12 years of my life. I couldn't even walk outside to my car, I was afraid someone would see me. I can't make eye contact with people. This medication allows me to go outside and be in the public, sure I still have my phobias, but without this medicine I would be on SSI.”

Jack September 11, 2019

“Not sure what to think of this drug. It's really helped my wife's anxiety and panic episodes. And I completely understand how this is prescribed for insomnia. She sleeps all the time, loves napping, hard out-cold sleep. But she has gained a ton of weight. Obsessed with food all the time. Fantasizes about it and texts me about it. We go out to eat and on date nights all the time now. But she's gone from 115lbs to now well over 200. Everyone comments on how much more relaxed and happy she is. But her life is about kicking back, Netflix and being a total couch potato. She feels it's just what she needs. She gave away all of her old clothes and has no plan on losing. But I feel she's going to get much larger. I truthfully have no qualms with her being fat, it's simply the dramatic change came out of left field with this medication. Never envisioned being married to a 300lb woman. Be warned, it's no joke. She's on 15mg, btw.”

Missbritt · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2019

“I started taking olanzapine approx 4 months ago and I have seen a dramatic decrease in my overall agitation & depressed state. This medicine makes you sleep SO good. It DOES cause weight gain. I have gained approx 20 lbs in 4 months but it’s worth it to be completely sane. My marriage is doing better, I’m calmer & I can 100% thank this medicine.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2018

“I suffer from chronic migraines, daily headaches, chronic fatigue syndrome, agitated depression, anxiety and occasionally insomnia. 3 weeks in, I am picking up my life and putting it back together! I feel myself for the first time in at least 5 years! I sent today a pack of research evidence-based articles to my neurologist to asked him to allow me to stay longer on Olanzapine. I was meant to do just a 3 week trial. But I feel so happy on it! A specific situation that would have got me very stressed in the past, was so much easier! Its one the best meds I have tried it! I just hope it lasts!”

Jakes mom · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2017

“My 9 year old son was placed on this medication a few weeks ago because of violent outbursts, agitation, insomnia and anxiety. He has high functioning autism. He had been placed on Respiradol with few improvements. Zypreza has been a game changer for my son Jake. He takes 5mg about an hour before bed. He is sleeping through the night (in 9 years he has never slept through the night). He is happy and content. No more violent out bursts. He is eating non stop (he would barely eat prior to medication). Very happy with the results that Jake is seeing on this medication and he has had no side effects outside of being hungry and eating more.”

Rsre · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2015

“Terrible side effects from Ssri and ssnri. Lexapro and celexa kept me in bed for a week before stopping. Others made my crawl out of my skin. I take 2.5 mg at bed and wake up with a great energy level! I have terrible anxiety all day long and this has made it go away! Love love love that I feel back to my old self. I had my first panic attack while driving and so although I force myself to do it I hated how exhausting it was. Only a week on this new Med has been a game changer. I started getting anxiety and panic attacks years ago for no good reason. I love life and was not stressed about anything. Anxiety turned my life upside down. Only a week on this I will update in a month.”

Ruthie September 30, 2020

“I was put on olanzapine for one and half years. At the 10 months mark I got shocking palpitatons that was August 2019 so dose cut down to three quarters and then kept cutting the dose down even more. I have been off nearly 5 months still have nausea every morning and no appetite. I have got heart problems from it can't go gym now and believe this drug should be banned. I am taking doctor to ombudsman who are taking on the case”

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2020

“I’ve been on Zyprexa for 2 days now and it has made such a huge difference. My mind was always racing and thinking all day long and could not sleep prior to taking it. These past 2 nights I’ve slept 5 to 6 hrs and I’m calm throughout the day and am focused enough to work and I can now be productive when working. I was prescribed 5MG tablets but cut the tablets in half so that I only consume 2.5MG and it seems to be working fine. I am very hesitant on taking this medication because I don’t want to have to take it the rest of my life so I’m thinking not taking it going forward even though it’s doing the job. I wish I could’ve been prescribed this while my marriage was on good terms.”

amandapanda1707 · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2015

“After using Paxil and clonidine and experiencing insomnia and lack of appetite my Dr prescribed zyprexa. After reading the reviews I did not take it for months and just kept it in my bathroom. When nothing else would control my anxiety I finally broke down and took it. Within twenty minutes I felt so much better. My obsessive and racing thoughts stopped and I could actually sleep and eat. I take 5mg at night. It does not make me sleep all day. Day two I noticed cravings for carbs but I find drinking a full glass of water takes care of that. You won't gain weight unless you don't control your eating which you absolutely can do. Don't give up and don't keep suffering. olanzapine can help you but maybe start with a low dose and see how you feel.”

Dom · Taken for less than 1 month July 11, 2018

“Suffering from lifelong depression and, in the last 18 months, crippling anxiety as well. Tried many different depression meds and didn't like the side effects. Plus they can make anxiety worse in the initial stages. Had some left over xanax that I was given by a psychiatrist years ago. After using xanax for around 12 months I developed tolerance after a period. It worked at first but soon pooped out and anxiety was raging. No one should take benzodiazepines for more than 3 weeks. After one week on Olanzapine I was in a much much better place. Anxiety reduced from an 8 to a 3. Helps with depression too. Miracle drug. Hope its effects don't fade.”

Tee · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 7, 2020

“At the beginning of the first two weeks taking 5mg of olazapine and coming off of 200 mg of lamictal, I "thought" things were going good. But after the two weeks and increasing to 7.5 mg, things were a wreck. Brain fog, increased anxiety, agitation and the major effect that everyone mentions.... weight gain!! One month, 10 lbs. I was constantly eating. Thank goodness my doctor let me try something different. This med was just not for me. I was so hoping it would have been too.”

Wheatley · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 27, 2020

“I used in conjugation with Lexapro. This stuff was pretty strong, and really helped with my anxiety, racing thoughts, and even chronic pain. However, it made me feel like a zombie and put me to sleep. About an hour or two after taking it around 7 p.m. I would just fall asleep, no matter where I was. I'd take it and fall asleep in the middle of playing video games with my friends. Basically became a narcoleptic. As for the weight gain, I constantly craved sugar and carbs. Sometimes it would make me so hungry I would eat hamburger buns after dinner because I still starving. I gained about 20 pounds. After working off the medication, I lost that 20 pounds again. The stuff makes you ravenously hungry, be warned. I've been off the stuff for about a year, and that's probably for the better.”

Someone August 4, 2020

“This medication olanzapine is AMAZING for marijuana withdrawals! It helps so much with the loss of appetite, racing mind, agitation and insomnia, just not the night-sweating unfortunately but hey you cant have everything... I wouldn't recommend it unless you need it though, it commonly causes significant weight gain, expressionless face/personality, a little trouble getting out of bed in the morning and a slight, dopey/dumb feeling but all these side effects here wouldn't bother anyone getting off the weed. I have constantly been on/off the marijuana and every time I decide to put the bong down for a good while I go get on this medication. Seriously, I wish I knew about Olanzapine those first few times I got off the weed! Once it has been a few weeks the marijuana withdrawals are gone and I ditch this medication and feel fine again. In saying that, I've never taken this drug long term so I cant comment on its effects but short term? Especially Marijuana withdrawal? 10/10”

Snoopy1 · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2018

“I found Zyprexa the best medicine for anxiety/ panic and giving good night sleep. On my worst mornings I took 2.5 mg extra and it took my morning anxiety away very quickly. I have taken clonazepam for many years and still suffer from anxiety and heart palpitations. My doctor has put me on Lexapro also for my depression. I have found Zyprexa very helpful, but I am not taking it continuously because of weight gain.”

Shevach · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

“This medication has helped me so much. I suffer from anxiety and depression. I am able to get a night of much better sleep and my anxiety is almost none existent.”

Psych rn · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 10, 2014

Zyprexa Intramuscular (olanzapine): “Three years in psychiatric corrections/ forensics. Works fast on patients that are hostile and combative. Approximative acting time of 10/15minutes to relax with correct dose.”

Jagger S November 17, 2015

“it calms my raging mind”

Cate · Taken for less than 1 month March 13, 2021

“After taking 2.5mg my migraine is much easier my head has finally some calmed downed.”

Adam August 25, 2021

“I experienced fits of rage on 10mg dose Totally messed cognitive function”

Dennie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2021

“It helps calm me down from anxiety, rage and it helps me sleep.”