User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Olanzapine Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Insomnia

"I take 10mg late evenings alongside my anti depressant called Depokote...Makes me tired and quickly settles me down 1hr then quality sleep normally. Have weird dreams and lots of dreaming seemingly. Appetite wise I'm seemingly feeling constantly hungry and therefore doubling my usual daily ifood intake so weight gained real quick... How can I lose it again whilst on olanzipine ?"

Scadders (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2018

"Works greatly"

Anonymous April 7, 2018

"The relatively low dose on Zyprexa and eventually the generic - I prefer the generic tablet that it may be broken in half in many dosages - helped to taper off the Seroquel nightmare. I still take a low dose every so often to get to sleep and wow how powerful these meds are. I am hopeful to find a strain of marijuana that will eventually take care of my sleep probs even though it was the drug that messed up my sleep from the beginning."

dtoob (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2018

"This is the worst drug for anything made me paranoid and couldn't do anything. I talk to a psychiatrist on the 29th hopefully I can convince her to take me off, she isn't the one that put me on it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2018

"I take two 50mg tablets of trazadone plus 1 2.5mg tablet of olanzapine about half hour before I'm ready to "hit the hay" on an EMPTY stomach in which I within 10-15mins eat a light snack not too hard to digest and sounds like a lie but it's not within 8 minutes I'm out like a light...worth asking about , right?"

"T" January 12, 2018

"Causes brain shrinkage in studies. Made me lose motivation. Made me fat. Blurs vision. uncoordinated and your hands shake. lose memory, and cannot talk properly."

Paul John smith November 27, 2017

"Started Zyprexa 3 weeks ago - my primary side effect is insomnia - I go to sleep but awaken through the night and then early morning awakening. My sleep has been reduced to 5-6 hours a night - I have MS and my sleep is vital to control that, so hopefully my Dr can help with the lack of sleep issue."

L S A November 2, 2017

"I have suffered from terrible insomnia for quite some time. Every time I get better, then my body becomes used to it. Currently I take 5mg with 50mg Serequel and 15mg Midozalm. This is a lot of medication and keep in constant contact with my Docters. "

CeltBru September 22, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I developed an illness that evolved in stages. A few stages in I lost the ability to sleep naturally. This was about eleven years ago. A few years went by trying every sleep med with utter failure. Ambien, Lunesta, benzodiazepines, trazadone, most atypical antipsychotics. Eventually a new lifestyle evolved where I would be up for near three days straight then sleep for a full day, repeat. What finally put me to sleep was a little risperidone and a megadose of seroquel. Risperdal "allowed" me to fall asleep, while max dose of seroquel "KEPT ME in sleeping state "long enough" and "deep enough." 3am now, tried 10mg of zyprexa an hour ago alone, its barely affecting me. Remeron with halved seroquel/risperdal, put me down great."

John Doe Alias March 10, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine has made me gain a lot of weight due to the fact I get hungry about 2 hours after taking it. After eating I always pass out and sleep through the night till I have to wake up for my job at 7 a.m. I have been taking this medication for two years now so I do not wake up groggy and foggy. This medication to me is a life saver for putting me to sleep and keeping me asleep. Just be careful with the night hungers! Other then that would totally recommend the medication if you can't sleep at night."

R pack March 8, 2017

"I can only think you are all in the U.S. In the U.K this drug is given to treat schizophrenia, severe schizophrenia. Good luck to you all"

Liztt February 23, 2017

"Olanzapine puts me to a restful sleep. Works better than OTC sleeping drugs, hands down. Many prescription sleeping pills I had a bad reaction to, like being groggy in the morning having restless leg, very nervous. it slows my thought process down for a great restfull sleep."

heather50 February 18, 2017

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "After having tried just about every medication. Zyprexa is the one that kept me asleep. Of course there are some mornings I wake up early. Like about 4-5 in the morning. Those nights are rare. As far as weight gain? It hasn't been an issue. And I wish everybody the best of luck while taking these medications. Because finding the right fit takes lots of patience:)"

Bubbles... (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Started Zyprexa 5mg for a week, bumped up to 10mg...This medication works well for me. Im able to control my depression & irritability better. Weight gain is fine for me as I only weiged 98 pounds when I started the medication, I am now 108 after two weeks & I am not complaining. I've been getting insomnia since starting the 10mg. I wake up around 12,1 or 2 in the am and cant go back to sleep. Will definitely talk to Psych about this problem"

Gully Goddess 5150 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

"Was born with insomnia.Now 57 years and had ZERO SLEEP since the beginning of October 2016, with severe bouts of insomnia since December last year.I'm having this surreal feelings from total lack of sleep.It is now 2:45am.Normally I just lie awake in bed until the birds start to sing.Had been on all available sleeping tablets and now have built up a resistance/tolerance to it, thus the zero sleep.Cannot go to work because of it.I've stumbled upon an olanzapine packet which apparantly was given to me in hospital after I fell 2 storeys high and broke my pelvis in 2 places, broke also my hip, sitting bone and squashed 2 vertebrae.They gave me Olanzapine in hospital to help me lie still flat on my back.I just took 5mg hope for the best please:)"

RixZEROsleepInsomniac November 2, 2016

"I am Taking 20mg of Zeprexa & 15mg of Tamazapam. I'm 43 yrs old. Im lucky if I get 1 to 2 hours of a sleep.I just started taking Zeprexa a week ago? Do I have to wait until several weeks for Zeprexa to take effect or Should I try another medication?"

konnan October 19, 2016

"great medicine for strange thinking or ocd. gained over 70lbs though"

bronson44 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

"Success, success, success! Review Part 2. I now take Xyprexa every day. I take it early so I don't get a hang over effect the next day. Before, I got away with taking it every other day but that doesn't work anymore. with 8 hours sleep an night I am thankful. I don't feel like a zombie. I am taking a higher dose for awhile as to better the longer term effect."

BipolarGuy01 July 10, 2016

"This is the only medicine I have taken for insomnia that helps me sleep. at least seven hours. Only drawback is if I take too late at nite I am drowsy for few hours when I wake up."

Deltagirl424 April 16, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "It's Definetely was a love/hate relationship with Zyprexa. I have tried virtually every sleep drug available, and it was one of the best because it not only put me to sleep, but it also KEPT me asleep for 8 hours. Started at 2.5mg, then 5mg, & eventually 7.5. It did take a long time to kick in though, so I had to take it 2 hours before bedtime. But like everybody who takes this, I gained weight. But I found the 1 way you can actually lose weight on this drug, which is to combine exercise with Atkins diet (low carb). Zyprexa gives you metabolic syndrome. You no longer burn carbs, which means all carbs you eat becomes body fat, which is why you become fat on this stuff (so you have to stop eating carbs). I got off this drug after 1 year."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been prescribed Zyprexa 10mg just two days ago. It was prescribed for insomnia and an extra medication for my depression. I have not slept as well as I was told I would. I have had major restlessness in my legs and arms to where I haven't slept well at all. I have felt very drowsy during the day. I have also tried Ambein which also gave me restlessness in my legs. Not sure if this is right one for me either. Maybe I just need more time? I have noticed I am eating more throughout the day. Not worried about that so much since I need to put on some weight."

Sleepy Lady March 24, 2016

"Success, success, success! I have been on and off olanzapine since I was 18 years old, more off like 99% off and I can say my sleep has been horrible but now I take olanzapine every second night, 10MG and I sleep approximately 8 hours a night. No hangover effects like taking 10MG a night. Shit, doctors say to take 10MG a night are they crazy? why don't they try and take olanzapine before they dose up and ruin lifes. I have taken 10MG a night in the past nightly and it's virtually impossible to get out of bed and during the day you can't think or talk like a human being, I become a social introvert. Doctors want to take this? Only side effect I can say with olanzapine is appetite up/weight gain carbs so watch diet *paleo* carbs kill/weight"

BipolarGuy01 March 7, 2016

"I can finally sleep at night again"

Anonymous November 16, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "If you take this medicine, don't expect to be able to stay awake during the day for a while. It takes time to get used to. As far as how good it is at helping you get to sleep? 10/10, I can't imagine propofol would be more effective."

LordSheogorath (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Ok, so while I have only begun this last night.. I can say I did fall asleep, which doesn't happen until after midnight, and I only woke up once to pee. I slept for almost 10 hours compared to my restless 4 if that. My only complaint so far is this entire day I have wanted to do NOTHING. I am so tired, I don't want to do anything besides sleep and I don't like this feeling. And I can say I've been hungier today than usual, so I'm paying attention to what I'm eating so I don't overeat.. After a while I'll update my review."

mlf4 August 28, 2015