User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 109 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Insomnia

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I developed an illness that evolved in stages. A few stages in I lost the ability to sleep naturally. This was about eleven years ago. A few years went by trying every sleep med with utter failure. Ambien, Lunesta, benzodiazepines, trazadone, most atypical antipsychotics. Eventually a new lifestyle evolved where I would be up for near three days straight then sleep for a full day, repeat. What finally put me to sleep was a little risperidone and a megadose of seroquel. Risperdal "allowed" me to fall asleep, while max dose of seroquel "KEPT ME in sleeping state "long enough" and "deep enough." 3am now, tried 10mg of zyprexa an hour ago alone, its barely affecting me. Remeron with halved seroquel/risperdal, put me down great."

John Doe Alias March 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine has made me gain a lot of weight due to the fact I get hungry about 2 hours after taking it. After eating I always pass out and sleep through the night till I have to wake up for my job at 7 a.m. I have been taking this medication for two years now so I do not wake up groggy and foggy. This medication to me is a life saver for putting me to sleep and keeping me asleep. Just be careful with the night hungers! Other then that would totally recommend the medication if you can't sleep at night."

R pack March 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can only think you are all in the U.S. In the U.K this drug is given to treat schizophrenia, severe schizophrenia. Good luck to you all"

Liztt February 23, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Olanzapine puts me to a restful sleep. Works better than OTC sleeping drugs, hands down. Many prescription sleeping pills I had a bad reaction to, like being groggy in the morning having restless leg, very nervous. it slows my thought process down for a great restfull sleep."

heather50 February 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "After having tried just about every medication. Zyprexa is the one that kept me asleep. Of course there are some mornings I wake up early. Like about 4-5 in the morning. Those nights are rare. As far as weight gain? It hasn't been an issue. And I wish everybody the best of luck while taking these medications. Because finding the right fit takes lots of patience:)"

Bubbles... (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Started Zyprexa 5mg for a week, bumped up to 10mg...This medication works well for me. Im able to control my depression & irritability better. Weight gain is fine for me as I only weiged 98 pounds when I started the medication, I am now 108 after two weeks & I am not complaining. I've been getting insomnia since starting the 10mg. I wake up around 12,1 or 2 in the am and cant go back to sleep. Will definitely talk to Psych about this problem"

Gully Goddess 5150 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was born with insomnia.Now 57 years and had ZERO SLEEP since the beginning of October 2016, with severe bouts of insomnia since December last year.I'm having this surreal feelings from total lack of sleep.It is now 2:45am.Normally I just lie awake in bed until the birds start to sing.Had been on all available sleeping tablets and now have built up a resistance/tolerance to it, thus the zero sleep.Cannot go to work because of it.I've stumbled upon an olanzapine packet which apparantly was given to me in hospital after I fell 2 storeys high and broke my pelvis in 2 places, broke also my hip, sitting bone and squashed 2 vertebrae.They gave me Olanzapine in hospital to help me lie still flat on my back.I just took 5mg hope for the best please:)"

RixZEROsleepInsomniac November 2, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am Taking 20mg of Zeprexa & 15mg of Tamazapam. I'm 43 yrs old. Im lucky if I get 1 to 2 hours of a sleep.I just started taking Zeprexa a week ago? Do I have to wait until several weeks for Zeprexa to take effect or Should I try another medication?"

konnan October 19, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"great medicine for strange thinking or ocd. gained over 70lbs though"

bronson44 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Success, success, success! Review Part 2. I now take Xyprexa every day. I take it early so I don't get a hang over effect the next day. Before, I got away with taking it every other day but that doesn't work anymore. with 8 hours sleep an night I am thankful. I don't feel like a zombie. I am taking a higher dose for awhile as to better the longer term effect."

BipolarGuy01 July 10, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only medicine I have taken for insomnia that helps me sleep. at least seven hours. Only drawback is if I take too late at nite I am drowsy for few hours when I wake up."

Deltagirl424 April 16, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "It's Definetely was a love/hate relationship with Zyprexa. I have tried virtually every sleep drug available, and it was one of the best because it not only put me to sleep, but it also KEPT me asleep for 8 hours. Started at 2.5mg, then 5mg, & eventually 7.5. It did take a long time to kick in though, so I had to take it 2 hours before bedtime. But like everybody who takes this, I gained weight. But I found the 1 way you can actually lose weight on this drug, which is to combine exercise with Atkins diet (low carb). Zyprexa gives you metabolic syndrome. You no longer burn carbs, which means all carbs you eat becomes body fat, which is why you become fat on this stuff (so you have to stop eating carbs). I got off this drug after 1 year."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been prescribed Zyprexa 10mg just two days ago. It was prescribed for insomnia and an extra medication for my depression. I have not slept as well as I was told I would. I have had major restlessness in my legs and arms to where I haven't slept well at all. I have felt very drowsy during the day. I have also tried Ambein which also gave me restlessness in my legs. Not sure if this is right one for me either. Maybe I just need more time? I have noticed I am eating more throughout the day. Not worried about that so much since I need to put on some weight."

Sleepy Lady March 24, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Success, success, success! I have been on and off olanzapine since I was 18 years old, more off like 99% off and I can say my sleep has been horrible but now I take olanzapine every second night, 10MG and I sleep approximately 8 hours a night. No hangover effects like taking 10MG a night. Shit, doctors say to take 10MG a night are they crazy? why don't they try and take olanzapine before they dose up and ruin lifes. I have taken 10MG a night in the past nightly and it's virtually impossible to get out of bed and during the day you can't think or talk like a human being, I become a social introvert. Doctors want to take this? Only side effect I can say with olanzapine is appetite up/weight gain carbs so watch diet *paleo* carbs kill/weight"

BipolarGuy01 March 7, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I can finally sleep at night again"

Anonymous November 16, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "If you take this medicine, don't expect to be able to stay awake during the day for a while. It takes time to get used to. As far as how good it is at helping you get to sleep? 10/10, I can't imagine propofol would be more effective."

LordSheogorath (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2015

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Ok, so while I have only begun this last night.. I can say I did fall asleep, which doesn't happen until after midnight, and I only woke up once to pee. I slept for almost 10 hours compared to my restless 4 if that. My only complaint so far is this entire day I have wanted to do NOTHING. I am so tired, I don't want to do anything besides sleep and I don't like this feeling. And I can say I've been hungier today than usual, so I'm paying attention to what I'm eating so I don't overeat.. After a while I'll update my review."

mlf4 August 28, 2015

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Olanzpine for insomnia and it worked like a charm, was on 2.5 mg sometimes 5mg and would always get 8 - 10 hour sleep without waking, also no severe hangover effect the following morning. Downside is it significantly increases your appetite so you need to be cautious of subsequent weight gain thus I would only recommend olanzapine if you're suffering from a severe bout of insomnia."

Tim8998 July 24, 2015

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take 5 mg of olanzapine and this medicine does help me sleep well at night. I think it's a good medicine."

L.A. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine is a God send. I've tried every sleeping pill in the book (Ambien, Trazodone, Seroquel, Elavil, ETC.) None of them would keep me asleep the whole night. 10mg of this and I sleep like a baby and don't have the racing thoughts. Only problem is it's real hard to get out of bed and get moving."

nicsnice33 (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I went to a psychiatrist for sleep meds and was prescribed 5 mg. Zyprexa. It helped me sleep but as soon as I stopped taking the medicine after two weeks, I experienced severe insomnia, sweating, palpitation, agitation depression and agitation. I had to be put back on it to to stabilize. I am now taking 7.5 mg. I don't like the effect on me and I will try to taper off of this medicine. I wish I had known about the side effects and widthrawal symptoms of this medicine. "

Sugaray0212 December 25, 2014

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine is the best sleep aid I have found. I tried Ambien and it made me crazy. I can sleep with Zyprexa and wake up the next morning with no side effects. I just have to make sure I take it early in the evening. If I take it too late, it will make me groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the reports I have heard, it doesn't effect my weight at all."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I used Zyprexa (2.5mg) at night for insomnia caused by anxiety and obsessive thoughts. It is the only thing that helped me sleep that is not addictive and actually worked. It also helped my appetite because when I don't sleep well I don't feel like eating much either. This medication helped with that also. Unfortunately I cannot use it often because it causes my blood sugar to shoot up sky high and I don't like the risk of tardive dyskinesia. I only take a very small dose when I haven't slept in awhile. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I tried this after Risperidone (which gave me dyskensia) and Seroquel. It works and makes me tired (when I was a teenager I used it as a sleeping pill). Lots of weight gain though."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2012

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I do have really bad insomnia (for the past 6 years) but this was prescribed to me for daytime use to help keep me calm. It in no way makes me sleepy but works great for my ADHD. I have also gained nearly 10 pounds in only 2 weeks. I'm not a normal eater, usually I only eat dinner, but on this medicine I seem to have doubled what I would normally eat. I'm addressing that issue now. Good calming down medicine I must say."

mitelgoog (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2012