User Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Intramuscular

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 14, 2020

“At 10 mg olanzapine completely cured my panic attack, OCD and depression. I take it with 20 mg vilazodone. Godsend!”

dordeduh · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 9, 2019

“Coerced to take this; gave me permanent anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure). Avoid. I'd avoid this whole class of medications to be honest with you. If you're in the throes of a violent psychotic episode take one of the newer ones (Vraylar, Rexulti) that don't totally block dopamine. If you're not psychotic, acknowledge that taking these may sabotage your brain and ruin your life.”

Bees · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2018

“Have ran the gamete of antidepressants for the last twenty eight years and thought that I was as un-depressed as I would ever be. I take Wellbutrin and Prozac. But after I went Rambo on neighbors down the road my physician added 7.5 mg of zyprexa at night. For the first time I actually felt happy for no reason. I still have bad days but they are fewer. Side effects are minimal. I sleep better. I wish that the neighbors down the road would take a happy pill too and just chill.”

Mom24/7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2017

“This medication saved my life, after years of closet OCD, and anxiety I was suicidal an couldn't take one more day. They started me at 5 mg an it's never been upped, my OCD is non existent an I finally feel happy and comfortable in my own skin!!! I smile!!! No weight gain (but I am gluten free and an avid walker) I still have occasional panic attacks I take xanax for, but this med has made them minimal. It has helped my head to toe pain from depression as well. I get up at 6 am everyday and not sleeping all day like some have said, I work a full time job an take care of kids with no side effects at 5 mg.”

Tmoneyz19 February 22, 2017

“I was put on this drug for my OCD and to help me gain weight because I was very thin. It did work and helped those things, but it also caused extreme constipation. That's why I got off of it. Within a few days of being off the drug, I started to have no appetite and all food was disgusting to me. I never have had this problem in my life, I was always a big fan of food and would practically eat anything. Now it is hard for me to get enough calories in a day because I am disgusted by everything. I'll actually gag on foods now that I had no problem with prior to taking this medication. It has been many months since I got off of it, and no change. I would strongly recommend that you do not take this medication. It has been a nightmare. I am not writing this to be a jerk, I really want to warn people of what it can do so it doesn't happen to others. At the very least, consult with your doctor about this med. I have been on many different medications in my life, and this one by far the worst in terms of getting off of it.”

Sonja444 September 1, 2016

“I'm 34 year old female that has obsessive thoughts about getting cancer. I have been battling ocd since 14 and this med has been a life changer. Although I still have thoughts I don't freak myself out half as bad. I sleep like a baby too! I have gained weight but loosing it now. 8 pounds total.”

hardeep July 18, 2016

“I have been on this drug for 4 months this drug has been a nightmare I am on 15mg soon after taking the drug at night i start feeing clumsy change in walking balance difficulty in speaking shuffling in walks felt complete numbness and feel even more angry and want to through things across the room. feel out of control”

OsKarMike · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 1, 2015

“I was on Zyprexa for a good two years because of intrusive thoughts ranging from sexual violence all the way to OCD and I can say I mostly recovered thanks to these pills (which I took on the go in time of needs and before going to sleep at 10mg in the beginning) and a LOT of therapy. Downside is that I gained about 50 pounds (still trying to lose it after three months off medication) and I was just tired all the time, easily slept 14 hours uninterrupted. But it did help tremendously with the bad thoughts and the compulsions.”

RowdyB88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 27, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was prescribed Zyprexa as a one pill cure for my OCD, Insomnia, Anxiety, And Manic Mood Disorder. I am steadily increasing the Zyprexa dosage starting with 2.5mg. At 5mg I can state that my OCD is practically gone. I still have the desire to keep things orderly, but I am not getting frustrated or angry. I can now leave things to do for another day without obsessing over and over in my mind. No changes for the Insomnia or Anxiety at this dosage. I will post as the dosage increases and the symptoms are relieved. I have no negative effects to report at 5mg Zyprexa.”

Anonymous March 12, 2015

“Been on and off olanzapine for 15 years. Varying doses. As high as 15mg per day currently on 2.5mg per day. Dose wonders to reduce voices, anxiety, OCD thoughts, and i sleep like a log. On the down side I'm way less creative and energetic. I have put on huge amounts of weight in the past but when I came off the med the weight disappeared quickly. Now I can control weight gain by simply not eating processed foods and carbs. No carbs means no olanzapine food cravings. I'm still able to eat fruit sugars with no probs. I just eat lots of proteins and vegetables. One major concern is my memory isn't as good, I used to be super sharp and I can't think as clearly nor process complicated concepts. Over all though it saved my life.”

Anonymous December 23, 2011

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “Zyprexa helped with my obsessive compulsive disorder. It also relieved the depression greatly. Weight gain is a bad side effect from this medicine (taking 10mg daily). Gained 16 pounds in 2 months. The nights are better, just longer (around 11 hours every night).”

Coriander August 9, 2009

Zyprexa (olanzapine): “I was prescribed Zyprexa to treat my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I will say that my OCD behaviors were considerably helped, but the side effects were far too great for me. Thankfully I'm a teacher and it was summer vacation because I couldn't wake up before 1pm (granted, I do tend to sleep late in the summer, but not that late), and when I could finally pull myself out of bed, all I would be able to do until around 7pm was lie on the couch with the posture of overcooked spaghetti, except when I was eating non-stop. The cravings were insatiable. I've always been very thin, but in that one summer I gained around 20 pounds. I had to switch medicines.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder