User Reviews for Lithium to treat Cyclothymic Disorder

Also known as: Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid

Lithium Rating Summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 5 medications used in the treatment of Cyclothymic Disorder.

Reviews for Lithium

The darling · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

“I came across one of these reviews here and decide to try lithium Orotate OTC supplement. I had previously tried: lamictal (gave me the rash), topamax (gave me memory loss and lip sores), Abilify (made me have psychotic visions), I was getting desperate.... My Cyclothymia gives me lack of focus, difficulty thinking, irritability, extreme mood drops where I feel exhausted and sometimes just downright angry. Lithium Orotate took all of that away. I take 10mg in the morning and it keeps me stable, happy, focused, energized... sometimes I need a little more around 4pm, I put a pill in water and take a few sips. So in total I am Probably taking 11mg per day. I sleep like a baby, no nightmares, peaceful sleep. It’d been a life saver and I will be using it to control my mood swings.”

Tim August 13, 2019

“It keeps me balanced but does not help with insomnia when hypomanic.”

Tim · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 4, 2019

“I am on lithium and it did not stop my manic induced insomnia. So my doctor tried Seroquel and now Abilify known to take along with Lithium for mania. My body handles lithium well, especially since my blood-level is only 4L after taking 900 mg daily. I suspect my pdoc will want to increase to 1200 mg but then I will not take Abilify (scary side effects as on most psychotics), all in all I am well balanced (thank to Lithium) except for the insomnia which I hate but nothing is perfect. I have noticed that if I take any amount of alcohol and sweets my hypo-manic phase is not too far behind.”

I need my hair July 1, 2016

“I've been on lithium for 4 months now. As far as helping my mental symptoms I couldn't be happier BUT after about 2 months my hair started coming out. My doctor assured me it was not the lithium (even though it's a documented side effect). He said it was due to the huge amount of stress I had been under and hair shedding was the effect of it now 3 months later. Well, after 4 months my hair is STILL coming out and I have 1/3 of the hair I had before. I cringe everytime I wash it because I don't want to see all those strands circling the drain. My doctor insists I continue it and he hasn't even offered to change it (only reduce the dose 1 month ago). Folks I have had enough!! I decided to try lithium orotate OTC. I started it today.”

44yroldmom March 7, 2016

“Ok, we all know that people respond differently to meds BUT this is my story. I was on the verge of losing my husband of 24 years. Feeling I had hit rock bottom I decided to see 1 more doctor. I had taken every antidepressant under the sun in the last 20 years for "anxiety and depression" and I had high hopes every single time.....nothing was working and I was getting worse. My doctor started me on lithium 300mg twice daily. I can honestly say I felt a huge difference after the first 24 hours. My mind was QUIET and I felt calm. No racing thoughts, no panic attacks, no overthinking anything.....just peace. I have been on it for 2.5 wks now and I FINALLY feel normal again. I am more considerate and loving to my family <3”

Learn more about Cyclothymic Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)