User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Lithium Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lithium to treat Depression

"I was on venlafaxine and seroquel for about a year, and since it wasn't making much difference to my emotional state nor reducing suicidal ideation, my doctor removed the seroquel and replaced it with lithium. The first two weeks of being on it were possibly the worst two weeks of my life. In that time I slept no more than two hours a night, some nights not sleeping at all. I was incredibly suicidal and my skin all over my body itched. After that two weeks it seemed to flip like a switch and suddenly all I could do was sleep. I'm still on it a few months later and while the negative side effects have calmed down, I don't feel it has improved my mood at all. If anything it's made it flatter."

chrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have major depression and borderline personality traits (Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) has helped), and chronic suicidal thoughts for over 30 years. I am on Mirtazapine 30mg, Bupropion XL 300mg for over two years. Because of my suicidal thoughts my Dr put me on lithium three weeks ago. She started with 300mg then went up to 600mg. They only bad side affect for me was a very dry mouth. After 2 weeks of being on it it started feeling wonderful! And it helped my suicidal thoughts tremendously. I felt so much better and have more energy ! Then she decided to bump me up to 900mg per day. The only side effect I feel is, I feel like there is pressure on my brain. I'm hoping this is going to go away like my dry mouth. I also am not sleeping well either."

NCmomof2 (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first I felt better but the then terrible weakness and tremors. Decided to get off but having unbearable anxiety. I was only on 600mg for two weeks and have dropped it to 300mg and soon to 150mg."

No Lithium (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on 75mg venlafaxine and 60mg mirtazapine for quite some time, with generally good results. Though my depressive symptoms were largely improved, I remained suicidal and lacking motivation in life. I recently added 300mg of lithium carbonate, and have noticed some improvement with the suicidality. My main complaint is that I am less socially engaging, as if there is nothing to talk about, I could just be quiet most of the day. My mood is relatively flat, I'm not sure if I will take it for long but it is worth a try."

Owl Capone (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Effective at treating depression, however hit my kidneys and thyroid pretty hard, as soon as I went up to adequate blood levels. Mind you, I am otherwise a healthy young male, so be careful with this med. Was on it for a few months, after stopping, kidney and thyroid went back to normal. Now I just take 300mg a day, and my lithium levels are not where they should be but I think it still helps a bit at a low dose, without the serious side effects. I also take lithium orotate, which supposedly passes blood brain barrier and requires just a fraction of lithium in the blood, eliminating the usual side effect. That is still up for debate thou and I encourage you to do your own research but user reviews for lithium orotate seem to be excellent."

Canada345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have attempted suicide three times in my life. The first two times were before I knew of Lithium and the third was when I took a break from Lithium, foolishly thinking I had gotten better. Lithium, at 900mg, almost completely eliminates the suicidal ideation. Symptoms of depression still present, however much better. Side effects I have had are weight gain (5 lbs?), frequent urination/thirst, thinning of my hair and sometimes I feel tired. I'll take these side effects any day over how I used to feel. This medicine has kept me alive. If you have recurring suicidal ideation, I would highly recommend."

Jen3256 October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have life-long treatment resistant depression and I'm taking a SNRI, recently started Lithium Carbonate as augmentation. It just makes me very tired at the starting dose. Although I'll try, I don't expect increasing the dose will help and feeling so tired is very counterproductive for me. Also, have the typical thirst and no appetite. If it causes weight gain, that will make it even worse."

Eff-B (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have to say Lithium has change my life for the good. I started taking this med, just 5 days ago and it's like I got my life back. I have paranoid schizophrenia and major depression and borderline personality disorder. The past 8 years were literally like hell on earth for me. I've tried so many different medication and nothing really worked for me. The first time I took my Lithium I felt like more in tuned on what's going on. Now I'm on day 5 and my racing thoughts are pretty much gone. My depression is vanishing. My voice's are at a minimum. My anixiety from going out in public has been getting better and better. It actually boost's my confidence. My energy level has gone way up. I'm generally more happier and more at peace."

Divine in Time (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried so many antidepressants over the last two years and actually found them to only increase the severity of my depression. I found one that helped finally but still felt symptoms of depression creeping in. I asked my Dr to augment with lithium and it worked! My fatigue is nonexistent now and I feel like I can handle life now. At first I was so thirsty that I could drink the entire Atlantic Ocean with a straw. It has since improved--but I learned that no matter how much I drink, I'm still going to have some thirst so I don't over do it. My mouth is dry and I have a very slight tremor in my hands but it's a small price to pay----now I get to live instead of just survive. :) Ps aincrease your dose slowly to minimize side effects"

Jillian3675 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on it for over a month. Made me extremely sad, much more than usual and caused some constant, very scary suicidal ideation. When I went off it I felt better, (as better as I can be), immediately."

Kyle BC (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this drug in combination with Zoloft and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, and ever since then my ability to write and create has just not been the same. I have been off of these drugs for a few months and these things have not returned to normal, which is quite distressing. Unfortunately it's impossible to tell if this problem resulted from the lithium, the Zoloft, the TMS or some combination of all three. Regardless of its effect on my capacity for written expression, I did not experience any relief from this medication. For instance, lithium is supposed to reduce suicidal thoughts, but I did not notice any decrease in these feelings or inclinations at all; nor did it help with sadness, motivation, etc."

Lucy33 July 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"it helped somewhat for my antidepressant to work"

TOPALE June 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried a lot of SSRIs before a doctor prescribed a medium dose of lithium. Can't even describe how much better I feel. I used to feel so stuck by my depression and am now able to do so much more with my life. My sex drive dropped off a little but I'm not otherwise feeling flat from it. Didn't have any of the weight gain or shaking side effects. Changed my life."

Samiam27 January 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication, in combination with a med for sleep, alleviated me of suicidal ideation in matter of one week inpatient. On the downside, I do feel quite flat, and the effects on my health are not able to be known this early on. The poor health feelings are usually due to the drug not being eliminated fast enough by your liver. I received minimal therapy and didn't experience life improvement, yet all bouts of suicidal depression are gone. Depression for me is now less severe, and more transient."

Steve Stevenson November 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Even though it's not used for the treatment of OCD, it took mine away completely as well as significantly cleared up my depression. About a year after being on it I became extremely thirsty, drinking two liters a day and urinating frequently. I have had to since come off it and symtoms have returned."

Kristys1989 January 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lithium is my Wonder Drug. I'm 51, was depressed on & off for years, had major depression for 7+ years, & have been suicidal since age 7. The last 2 years were exhausting trying to stay ahead of the suicidal pull in spite of entering therapy & getting medicated. I finally asked my psychiatrist for ANY aggressive treatment -- regardless of the severity of the side effects -- because I was going to lose the battle. He asked me to try Lithium, first. Within a month, I had ZERO desire to kill myself. Side effects: Major leg tremors (I take Effexor). I feel a little flat, but NO complaints; I can't REMEMBER the last time I wasn't suicidal, DAILY. I'm STUNNED at how this "alternative" feels & am glad I held on long enough to experience it."

Proponent of Lithium For Suicidal Ideation October 21, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have suffered with clinical depression for fifteen years and have been on numerous antidepressants. Have now been taking lithium for 9 months and have had a lot of problems including hands shaking, legs feeling as though they are going to give way a lot of the time, whole body feeling heavy, nausea, parts of my body suddenly jerking, sweating, but worst of all I feel as though I have had a personality transplant and do not recognize the agitated person I have become, the nightmares, my partner is very concerned. I am reducing the dose to come off it. I have just noticed on this site that it has a high interaction risk if taken with venlafaxine which I have been prescribed with it at the same time."

sues1066 October 8, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started Lithium in 1986. This has been my bedrock since then. In 2011 my doctor added Wellbutrin because I was sub-clinically depressed and felt stuck."

lsrigg (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on many anti-depressants and none of them helped with my suicidal thoughts except lithium. Some medications I was on made me better, but very flat and emotionless. For me, lithium only takes the sharp edges off the bad emotions and leaves room for good (but not manic) ones. I had slight hand tremors for about a year after starting this, which was annoying but not incapacitating. They are gone now. I also gained about 10 pounds during the first few months, but lost it easily and I am now lighter than when I started. People used to tell me: Oh you'll gain so much weight, but it is mostly water weight because you get very thirsty. Overall, my quality of life is much, much better. Also you can safely stay on lithium for years."

123Katherine123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 6, 2013