User Reviews for Lithium (Page 4)

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cyclothymic Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 3 reviews 0 medications

5.7
Summary of Lithium reviews 219 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am writing mostly because after having so many people tell me their horror stories about Lithium I was looking for something positive and found this site. I was prescribed Lithium after my first manic episode and it has helped to level me out. I was also on Olanzapene which I blame for the 20lbs I gained (being in the hospital for a month and then snacking obsessively and not excercising didn't help). My thoughts of suicide are a lot less for the first time in a long time and I feel generally more stable than I did even on Effexor which I was on for years."

bipolark (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Ive read many times how Lithium has effected people with its side effects. Me, also. My specialist change me to QUILONUM SR. It is a slow release Lithium and 100 times better. No upset stomach, no thirst cravings. Still same rules, eg don't be in the sun, don't over do any exercise or perspiring. Its still Lithium salts, same precautions. But I am back onto a normal Lithium as my dose changed, and the SR can't be cut in half. The standard Lithium is playing around with my stomach, yes, I'm thirster BUT I eat more. I eat sweet things on it. I'm on both SR and Standard."

Eliza_nsw April 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking Lithium for two years now for my bipolar- depression. It's good for stability but I don't feel like myself. I never cry, never smile, and I'm not as outgoing as I was. I feel like a machine. I can't drink. I always have to be tied down to my pill bottle. Next year I'm going to college, I feel so much older with this responsibility. Now I'm questioning if my stability is worth my freedom."

Mckenna15815 April 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium was a God send. It elevated my mood to prevent suicidal thoughts and prevented manic episodes. I had to stop taking it because I had urinary problems unassociated with the lithium, but which were taxing my kidneys and my doctor suggested I stop taking it to prevent further damage. It was hard to stop taking because it worked so well for me. I miss it. I had no other symptoms except I liked water a lot more."

BAEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am diagnosed with schizoaffective Bipolar. I spent 8 years trying every psychiatric medication on the market to no avail. I never found stability my life was made up of rapid cycles of extreme moods one week I would be happy confident and secure the next week I would be extremely depressed often suicidal had 6 serious suicide attempts and was hospitalized 22 times. Nothing worked at least not for long. I was put on lithium 2 years ago along with the two other medications, I was on an antidepressant and an antipsychotic. Lithium saved my life I have had no suicidal thoughts, my life is no longer ruled by extreme moods although I can be a little emotional at times I am able to remain logical and in control something I could never do before."

Heatherbella (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium saved my life by suppressing totally my suicidal thoughts. I would say it works moderately well for my hypomanias (we still had to add an antipsychotic) and moderately well for my depression symptoms (we had to add an antidepressant). I don’t feel drowsy, numb, slow or zombie. There is only one side effect I HATE : the tremors. Even Inderal doesn’t remove them completely. A single cup of coffee makes them 2X worse."

Bipolar12345 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "My manias have definitely been 'filed down' so far.... Though I now have mixed states and anger is highly apparent during mania. Basically I used to have a pure 'joy' mania. But now it's that and quick rage. Though I'm unsure if Lithium is to blame here for I've always had anger issues. "

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been in Lithium for 5 years. For the first 4 years I had a positive outcome. But for the past year I've experenced rapid cycling and have been hospitalized twice. I'm now taking a combination of 1500mg of Lithium, 20mg of Prozac and 10mg of Saphris. I'm hoping the depression lifts and my moods will stabilize. Feeling very overwhelmed."

DCat13 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2015

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "My manias have definitely been 'filed down' so far.... Though I now have mixed states and anger is highly apparent during mania. Though I'm unsure if Lithium is to blame here for I've always had anger issues. But it seems more intense."

Dragonley February 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium provides a ton of stability for ultra-rapid cyclers. The drawbacks are it interacts with almost everything in certain ways and it is fairly hard on the liver. My primary care physician and psychiatrist work together to try to provide options that won't affect my liver as much as a result. Because of the amount of stability it provides, I don't think I'll ever be able to go off of it. I may be able to lower it by trying changes to other things. But it just works too well at giving stability. I don't like when the pharmacist says it out loud because it's a dead giveaway of what you're taking it for. "

beefcake77 (taken for 10 years or more) February 1, 2015

For Depression: "Even though it's not used for the treatment of OCD, it took mine away completely as well as significantly cleared up my depression. About a year after being on it I became extremely thirsty, drinking two liters a day and urinating frequently. I have had to since come off it and symtoms have returned."

Kristys1989 January 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking lithium (300mg) for about 2-3 weeks now and it has taken away my mania and leveled me out. I can see that is is working and helping me with my insomnia as well. A few down sides: it makes me nauseous when taken without food and enough water and my sex drive is non-existent now. Kind of frustrating. I am also taking Lamictal (200mg) and have been for about a year so I know it's not the Lamictal that is causing these side effects."

Khizzle (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium for about a month now. I was put on it by the doctor in the hospital after a major manic episode. This is the first time in my life that I have no have thoughts of harming myself. My mood is stable, life is easier and I am not suffering. I had some side effects of nausea and vomiting but with a reduction in my level and always taking it with food these side effects have subsided. I am still getting used to being stable after over three decades of illness but this is getting better every day. I recommend giving lithium a try if nothing else has worked."

Aimer123 December 16, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have struggled with bipolar depression for very long time almost 6 years. I was in denial for quite a long. Until I started hearing things and thinking things I heard or read were speaking about me. About fours years on and off. The Issue that I had was that I didn't trust medication because I felt there was no such thing as bipolar disorder. I met a great girl and got married and she helped me take Lithium consistently and soon after I had a miraculous transformation from it. I could think clearly, talk straight, listen, and take care of myself. Everything improved dramatically. I was paranoid anymore. Also, the feelings of death and depression went away and I could see past myself. Lithium has changed my entire life."

Allan 1600 mg a day (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 6, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium was great for my intrusive thoughts as of suicidal and homicidal, cleared them up within three days. Had to stop taking it due to the bad headaches and other side effects. Now trying Depakote so far so good. Overall I hope lithium works for others."

Crazymeds1234 November 30, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've was dubious about lithium and didn't want it. Time came that it was a choice left. At first I had nausea, and thirst. My doctor out me on a XR brand and it was better. I can honestly say today, I don't know if it's working or not. It is such a medicine that just does what it needs to do. But a warning is- watch your salts either on your plate or in the sun. I was told by the chemist and then I became aware when one day, I was out in the heat and walking around. I felt faint after a while. Next day I felt washed out. And this has happened a few times. Lithium is based on salts and this can play a little chaos. Especially in the heat."

Austgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2014

For Mania: "I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 with extreme highs and lows. I started taking lithium 3 days ago and I am so thankful. My life has completely changed I now feel level for the first time. I think it is a great medicine to talk to your Doctor about."

CarrieC. (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Lithium for several months now for Bipolar I. Wow! It helps. Drawback: you will feel sick if you dont drink enough water. Also I gained 30 pounds in about 4 months. I felt ravishingly hungry all the time. That part is not fun, however I can function properly. What lithium doesnt cover the therapy does. I might have a chance at normalcy."

Cjhall57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on lithium for 5 months now. Worst part is feeling so flat on it. I take lithium 900mg, Zyprexa 10mg and lorazepam 1-2 mg daily. I do feel the lithium is working, but my moods are still not stable. I hope things level out more for me. I have been on carbamazepine for 17 years, and it just stopped working."

Catpuff October 19, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was extremely suicidal and had ECT treatment for several weeks. Then put on lithium for maintenance therapy 300x2 daily for now. I Think I've found the perfect recipe for S/I. Never have I felt so good and have enjoyed being alive. I recommend ECT and lithium for anyone struggling with S/I. I've tried everything else for past 15 years and this is the ticket."

Cjayeaa (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have depressive bipolar 2 which never is a huge issue until there's less Sun due to it combining with my seasonal mood disorder to send me over the edge. I started taking lithium in January and I recently have just stopped (July) so about 7 solid months or so. Granted this worked great I felt more clear headed the first couple months except it messed my stomach up horrible in combination with my irritable bowel syndrome. Plus my periods turned brown and would be two weeks late every time which is horrible nerve wrecking. My hormones completely lost it and still have yet to go back to normal. Granted I'm only 18 and I could be growing once more and I've changed my acne routines but my acne completely changed making my skin."

swaggymaggie August 11, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Didn't give it much of a chance - 2 weeks. Just felt lousy on it - dizzy, clumsy, not any benefits. In retrospect, should have stayed with it. Still the gold standard for Bipolar 1, which is not really me. Blood tests required, etc."

king bean (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "When I originally got sick with insomnia and mania, I was prescribed Seroquel. 5 years later was admitted to the hospital and a student doc suggested I try lithium. It kills fast onset mania quickly and fortunately have minor ill effects from it. Lost precision hand eye coordination for playing sports like baseball, that's the only issue I have had with it. And minor sun sensitivity. Its also good being a natural substance on the table of elements so it's not a synthetic medicine. Very lucky to be on a low level that works so no need for constant blood monitoring."

happy2012 July 7, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Prescribed 1200mg of lithium for bipolar 1, alongside 800mg of Seroquel (quetiapine). Problems early on with lithium toxicity due to a blood pressure medicine, once sorted out this medicine is awesome. I still feel happy and a little sad at times but it has removed the scare out of auditory and visual hallucinations."

Thecircusrules (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 19, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hell for many years now. 2 months ago I was once again fetal positioned in a laundry basket rocking back and forth in the attic and I finally said enough is enough%u2026I am going to get help. I am a rapid cycler-about every 10 days my episodes would begin again-I had about 5 good days/month. I never wanted to be "zombiefied" by medicine so, I reluctantly and VERY defensively went to the doctor and asked for help. They gave me Lithium and I can't believe the change! I finally feel free for the first time in my life. I am on a lower dose than some. I still have some symptoms, but feeling them is allowing me to work through them, and also NOT lose my creativity. Only side effect is that I walk into things- annoying."

GingerLee347 May 26, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next