User Reviews for Lithium (Page 4)

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cyclothymic Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 4 reviews 0 medications

4.5
Summary of Lithium reviews 250 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed as bipolar in 2007. I've been on and off a plethora of different meds. In Nov. 2015 my nurse practitioner put me on 600mg/day of Lithium Carb CR. At first my emotions were all over the place then things began to level out. For first time in years I actually felt SELF motivated! My nurse pract. said the blood test looked bad for my kidneys and thyroid. My pcp said the opposite. I didn't care; I was ALIVE again! Then about 10 days ago I felt the first slip and now I'm in free fall. I'm so tired of fighting."

SusanJulia (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Started yesterday. IR 300mg 3x daily. Within thirty minutes, I'm laughing with joy, unbelievable! Cured. Years of zyprexa, abilify, Celexa, depakote, Ativan, etc, and.. Wow. I can finally admit it. I have bipolar disorder. Nothing else. Not anxiety. Calm. Quiet and calm head. No depression or mania. I want to feel and look my best all the time. And it only took a naturally occurring element, abundant in our universe.. To flip the switch. Although there is no cure. Just how I feel."

NormalNow (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium is a good drug to control Bipolar but beware it damages your kidneys eventually. Make sure you discuss all blood tests with a doctor."

plus or minus (taken for 10 years or more) February 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Just started Lithium 300mg daily, 5 days ago. I'm hopeful it will help with the depression, I'm just always so extremely tired (been like this since my teens, I'm 42). I by accident found out I was bipolar, I know sounds strange but it started when my doc prescribed Tegretol for neuralgia. It didn't help for it but instead got rid of my migraines, lifted my mood and was taking me out of the depression, was working great but then became allergic to it, I'm now on Lithium and I pray that it works just as great as Tegretol. I currently take Adderall, Lithium, Restoril and Doxycycline. I'm prescribed Zoloft but stopped taking it because I didn't feel any better."

IvRose (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have tried taking lithium twice - when I was a teenager & as an adult. Both times it didn't do much for me. I still experienced mood swings & I gained a lot of weight. I also developed thyroid problems & had very bad tremors. This is not a medication I would recommend. If you do decide to take lithium make sure to get your your doctor to give you blood tests regularly, so you can check on your liver, thyroid, etc. It is very important."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "On lithium 800mg, venlafaxine 300mg, mirtazapine 30mg and still nowhere near normal. Currently being treated for depression but have overwhelming anxiety. Am told that I have bipolar disorder. This episode of depression has been going on for 12 months. I wake up in turmoil and it goes on all day long, day in day out."

tinahemp January 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Oh it's effective alright. I no longer feel manic. Instead, I feel like a brick wall. Like I am lost in a warp somewhere and I can't feel anything emotionally"

acl17 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am just about to stop taking lithium for bipolar2 due to recent frightening side effects. No problems to start except thirsty, but lately had numb tingly arm which was scary, I was told lithium level was 0.6 (should be fine) then a bit later had a hideous kind of fit, (I wrongly linked 2 a cocktail?) where I suddenly felt totally drugged but kind of clear headed, terrified, Vision (but not eyes) flicking side to side v fast on and off for 2-3 hrs - horrifying. When I cld see I googled and Very Bad Diseases like Parkinson's came up. (Eyes checked -fine) Then next day lost ability to swallow at all for about 5 mins (dysfagia?) also Terrifying. All 3 symptoms are signs of Parkinson's but no thanks 2my gp I found they can also be effects from lithium. Gutted"

T bear January 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Tried a lot of SSRIs before a doctor prescribed a medium dose of lithium. Can't even describe how much better I feel. I used to feel so stuck by my depression and am now able to do so much more with my life. My sex drive dropped off a little but I'm not otherwise feeling flat from it. Didn't have any of the weight gain or shaking side effects. Changed my life."

Samiam27 January 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Made me feel disconnected from world, like a living in fog. Now I'm on Depakote ER and I'm better"

cw2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've never felt so balanced and "normal". Water could almost run off my back. A blessing enabling me to work 4-5 days a week, previously 2-3."

peony16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder about a year ago. After many failed medications my psychiatrist prescribed me lithium 600mg. The side effects were brutal for the first month but have faded away to only occasional mild nausea. Overall pleased with the way it has stabilized my moods and I am able to live a more steady lifestyle."

Lisanator December 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Probably the worst medication I've ever been on. Made me feel completely disconnected from reality and dissociate all the time, made me nauseous, did not help with my suicidal thoughts or impulses at all (in fact I was MORE suicidal on it). I didn't care about anything, couldn't get any work done, could not concentrate, slept all the time, and gained weight on it. Did not help my depressive symptoms at all."

Invisiblecreeper (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium works. No one knows why which is odd, but it gave me my life back with no side effects. Love it."

Jillkillian December 10, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "This medication, in combination with a med for sleep, alleviated me of suicidal ideation in matter of one week inpatient. On the downside, I do feel quite flat, and the effects on my health are not able to be known this early on. The poor health feelings are usually due to the drug not being eliminated fast enough by your liver. I received minimal therapy and didn't experience life improvement, yet all bouts of suicidal depression are gone. Depression for me is now less severe, and more transient."

Steve Stevenson November 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hate it"

Menolikeit November 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm a 21 year old male who was recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder ultra rapid cycling. Before this I got started on this salt, I was truly at the mercy of my moods. My highs ranged from acting highly inappropriate in public places to my highly suicidal lows of which I've been hospitalized. My psychiatrist quickly put me on the "Gold Standard" for bipolar treatment. I titrated up. My first dose was at 300mg then 600mg and now, 900mg. My dosage at 900 makes my emotional roller coaster a smooth and highly manageable kiddie ride. Side effects I've experienced are an increase in appetite and weight, a small amount of hair loss and a bit of fatigue. Give lithium a shot - it has potential, but remember, it is not for everyone."

Kyle West November 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on Lithium for two weeks and for the first time in years, many many years I feel great. Like a light being switched on. Please tell me it will last! Mild shakes. Happy happy happy"

A Ferreira (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have had depression forever and after failed SSRIs mania started to occur. Luckily I was already seeing a psychiatrist he tried me on Seroquel which made me way too sleepy and then Lithium which stopped both mania and depression. Although it doesn't cure bipolar so I still have manic and depressive episodes during stressful times but they are much more minor now I'm on Lithium. Only side effects are tremors for me but they are fairly minor."

bippypolar October 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take 600mg lithium the only side effect I have are the tremors. Have been on it for the past year thought I was taking it for 5 years when I was first diagnosed with bipolar 13 years ago. I wanted off it then because I was doing well and I continued to do so for many years afterward until the depression came back. Then after trying different meds that were unsuccessful I went back on lithium. I'm amazed at some of the very high doses some are taking as mine was increased to 800mg I wasn't even on that dosage a week and had to reduce back to 600mg again as I went toxic. I remember Depakote causing my hair to fall out and it was an extremely good med other than that."

Maure October 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been struggling with bipolar for 17 years, and nothing has worked as well as Lithium. The side effects are uncomfortable as far as the upset stomach feeling, but eating with the medication helps."

ldc12 August 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was wary of Lithium, personal reasons. Then it came to the point of id run out of choices, Epilum was good but the shaking hands made it hard to even hold a pen. So next was Lithium, and its been great. I am on Seroquel and i dont have a bad word about either. Well being in NSW it gets so hot, and i am not good in the heat, the chemist warned me, and its true. No strenuous exercise, it knocks me around. Even long walks it tells on my body. Mood wise- i still have lapses but i am not swapping Lithium for anything. Nor Seroquel, im content."

Koalamaiden (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "My only two complaints about lithium are the potentially detrimental effects on the kidneys and the nausea. I first started taking lithium in college but stopped because of excessive nausea and vomiting. Five years later, I'm trying it again because the other mood stabilizers I have tried were not too helpful (abilify "numbed" me, zyprexa turned me into an angry bear, seroquel made me sleep all the time, depakote gave me bad tremors, etc). I do have to adjust my lifestyle habits though while on lithium...more water, less sodium or acidity in foods, take it nightly...but vomiting/intense nausea and renal problems down the road..."

Anonymity88889 July 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "35 years old, just been diagnosed "Bipolar 1" 3 days ago, taking 1-3 tabs Lithium a day for starters combined with 150 mg Wellbutrin. Amount is at my discretion? Not a good idea for a substance abuser, so my poor lovely wife doles out all meds for me. My Father, brother, sister all have Bipolar 1, I've been denying it for quite a while but recently the highs have been too great, and the lows equally opposite, scheming a way to off myself so my wife gets life insurance. This is all about 10 years over due if it works, I'm pessimistic. Day 4 though, have to say I felt pretty good considering last night I was about to call Oakland PD to come to my day job and save me from jumping, not joking. I hope this works, any feedback?"

Running mind (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm 46 and suffer from serious bipolar 1 with PTSD from a 25 year old military accident where a live missile fell off an F-4 and smashed my left foot. Many nights spent laying awake wishing it had exploded. First took lithium back in 1999 and found that it helped, but it was also dulling the positive receptors as well. It would upset my stomach and dehydrate me terribly. After going on and off of it for years, I recently had a nurse practitioner switch me to the lithium carbonate ER (extended release). I now take the whole dose before bed and don't have the upset stomach anymore. Still thirsty and on the numb side.... but functioning better."

JahBird (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2015